PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   All borders to reopen. (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/632861-all-borders-reopen.html)

neville_nobody 6th Dec 2021 00:59


Well they will have to dig double the amount to make up for the tourist dollar they’re loosing out on.
Assuming they can find someone to dig it. Not to mention all the other industries to can't afford to pay $150K+ to attract workers.

Mc Gowan will have to watch out next year as he could get wedged politically between the all important 'Health Advice' and the economy.


You obviously don’t appreciate the impact that border closures have on families that live interstate.
From what I have read this is also impacting on people's decision to move to WA for work. People's mindset has changed since Covid.

dr dre 6th Dec 2021 01:48


Originally Posted by neville_nobody (Post 11151940)
Assuming they can find someone to dig it. Not to mention all the other industries to can't afford to pay $150K+ to attract workers.

Mc Gowan will have to watch out next year as he could get wedged politically between the all important 'Health Advice' and the economy.

From what I have read this is also impacting on people's decision to move to WA for work. People's mindset has changed since Covid.

And that’s why a decision is imminent. To be announced after Nat Cabinet on Friday, around when the state hits 80% DD.

As to a stated opening date, 90% 12+, it could be sooner than stated. Currently 88% first dose (remember how a lot of people said West Aussies were too complacent and wouldn’t even get 80%?), 90% comes in about 8 days. Then 4-5 weeks to dose 2, so could be Jan 10-20th potentially. May get that Ashes test squeezed in at the last moment. If they delay it then reopening is just a week or two later, hardly noticeable over a 2 year pandemic.




SHVC 6th Dec 2021 03:11

Pretty sure CA had moved on from having the Ashes in Perth, SCG and MCG and Canberra are in contention

LapSap 6th Dec 2021 03:41


Originally Posted by dr dre (Post 11151947)
If they delay it then reopening is just a week or two later, hardly noticeable over a 2 year pandemic.

Not disagreeing with you but if only that week or two had been saved at the beginning instead letting 5 million loose over Lunar New Year instead of hiding it like Chernobyl, we wouldn’t have had a pandemic. Academic now of course. Wondering what they know now that we don’t, with their insistence on a zero Covid strategy for the Mainland and Hong Kong. Bye bye CX.

PoppaJo 6th Dec 2021 03:42

More dumb meaningless rules out of this backwater state. She wants to test those dirty folks from down south on Day 5. Meanwhile IF they are positive they have been roaming around our good state for nearly a week now? Pointless.

Testing 3-4 thousand people a day in Cairns? Geez that will break the non existent testing services up here. Haven’t crunched the Goldy numbers yet.

Stupid. Dumb. What more should I expect. We will fine the living daylights out of you should you not comply. Save yourself the hassle our good friends down south, don’t come here.

SHVC 6th Dec 2021 05:46

Family might be bothered with QLD opening, it will be interesting if tourist could be bothered. Family of 4 wasting half a day of their holiday dragging kids around looking for a testing facility to appease a random 5 day test or face over $4000 in infringements P/P.

aussieflyboy 6th Dec 2021 08:22

Why would you bother getting a QLD border pass. No one will be checking if you’ve got one.

I arrived from CBR yesterday and no one checked mine and apparently the border is still ‘closed’.

galdian 6th Dec 2021 09:19


Originally Posted by PoppaJo (Post 11151964)
More dumb meaningless rules out of this backwater state. She wants to test those dirty folks from down south on Day 5. Meanwhile IF they are positive they have been roaming around our good state for nearly a week now? Pointless.

Testing 3-4 thousand people a day in Cairns? Geez that will break the non existent testing services up here. Haven’t crunched the Goldy numbers yet.

Stupid. Dumb. What more should I expect. We will fine the living daylights out of you should you not comply. Save yourself the hassle our good friends down south, don’t come here.

Always like your posts PJ, pretty balanced and thoughtful.
If the press conference was observed did any of the journos ask "what's the point/benefit of the 5 day dictum"? If yes what was the considered response?

As I'm planning to head up to the Bribie Island area for a week or so before Xmas I jumped in and made a hire car booking from the 14th, "free cancellation" on the booking but treat that with a grain of salt and see the battle if attempted.

Whilst I view the 5 day test as bullshit for interest I tried to see what was available on a weekend - a reasonable spread on Saturday morning, almost nil on a Sunday.
If the Premier wants to come up with such crap can only hope she realises she'll have to make testing facilities available - more money to be wasted on behalf of the people, go Anna!

Last query for those far smarter than myself - if for example I arrive on a Tuesday is that Day 0 or Day 1 ie is it a rolling 24 hours or a static day?

Cheers.


Fonz121 6th Dec 2021 11:29

My international border permit always has the time of my arrival at the airport and so I’ve always used that as my zero hour and counted up from there. I assume you would do the same as you cross the QLD border by car.

SHVC 8th Dec 2021 19:15

Permits permits permits! As there is a lot of focus on the world 1 male tennis player refusing to prove vaccination to be able to play in the slam in Melbourne, he has already been registered to play. I would of thought given the current rules of entry for international arrivals he would be sent to HQ for 14 days if he does not provide evidence, there fore not to much of an issue at state level unless he does go to HQ and still try’s to compete. How would victorians feel if DA made an exemption for NJ to play!

SHVC 9th Dec 2021 06:18

WA the only state closed in Australia after the 20th DEC! Let’s hope they stay closed well onto next yr I hated going there.

NumptyAussie 9th Dec 2021 08:45


Originally Posted by SHVC (Post 11153413)
WA the only state closed in Australia after the 20th DEC! Let’s hope they stay closed well onto next yr I hated going there.

For someone who hates going to WA, you seem to be quite upset and vocal regarding the border restrictions. For the sake of your health, and possibly your families mental health, let the hate go and enjoy your life.

logansi 9th Dec 2021 08:57


Originally Posted by Ladloy (Post 11153373)
ohh finally! I knew you had it in you. You found a good source!

Its not a bad source but Foxxster loves to only hear the good rosy bits. As John says, we are still learning a lot all the time and if his assumptions are wrong then the world is in for a bad time. The talk of the significant rule changes are only if things do turn bad, not right now. The UK has put in some mask mandates, vax passports and a recommendation to work from home. Not massively significant things.

SOPS 9th Dec 2021 09:40


Originally Posted by NumptyAussie (Post 11153462)
For someone who hates going to WA, you seem to be quite upset and vocal regarding the border restrictions. For the sake of your health, and possibly your families mental health, let the hate go and enjoy your life.

where is the like button when you need it?

nivsy 9th Dec 2021 11:15


Originally Posted by SOPS (Post 11153488)
where is the like button when you need it?

Yes..where has it gone? Probably the fault of these pesky WA peeps...🤭😁

SHVC 9th Dec 2021 13:29


Originally Posted by NumptyAussie (Post 11153462)
For someone who hates going to WA, you seem to be quite upset and vocal regarding the border restrictions. For the sake of your health, and possibly your families mental health, let the hate go and enjoy your life.

Im not upset at all with WA border closure. Not one bit, I’m actually happy they’re closed.

dr dre 9th Dec 2021 14:03


Originally Posted by SHVC (Post 11153587)
Im not upset at all with WA border closure. Not one bit, I’m actually happy they’re closed.

If you don’t choose to go there then why are you happy they’re closed? It shouldn’t make any difference?

May I ask what the specific reason is you “hate” going there? The people? The city? The weather? The traffic?

btw a reopening date will be announced imminently for a date in just over a month’s time so if your employment requires you to travel to WA looks like your reprieve from being in a place you “hate” won’t last for much longer.

SHVC 9th Dec 2021 18:52

The sand gropers getting all defensive now. Some parts of WA are really good but PH is a $hit hole. MM will make an announcement about making an announcement to keep stringing you all along.

dr dre 9th Dec 2021 22:06


Originally Posted by SHVC (Post 11153719)
Some parts of WA are really good but PH is a $hit hole.

Well that’s your opinion, free to stay in Sydney or Melbourne where it costs both arms and legs to buy a house, and to sit in a traffic jam all day long. Net interstate migration showed a net gain for WA and a larger net loss for NSW and Vic over the last year so the “free market” is deciding where they’d rather live.


MM will make an announcement about making an announcement to keep stringing you all along.
Well that will be made imminently. We can see if it’s a firm date or a “stringing along”.

nivsy 9th Dec 2021 23:58


Originally Posted by SHVC (Post 11153719)
The sand gropers getting all defensive now. Some parts of WA are really good but PH is a $hit hole. MM will make an announcement about making an announcement to keep stringing you all along.

To be fair..having left Europe and now live in Perth (married a Perth girl who wanted to come.home after X years in UK), I do agree with some of this sentiment. Perth is not exactly the most exciting place in the world nor forward thinking. That said I long for the borders to open so I can get away more!, That includes though getting out and back into Aussie easily! Not sure if that will ever happen.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:04.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.