PDA

View Full Version : Manchester-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

750XL
27th Jan 2020, 14:24
The administrators are currently in charge of the TCX hangar, tho it's mostly been emptied of all equipment which has been sold on. There's still an A330 in there, OY-VK* I believe.

Preparations have started for the others on A330, I believe they were all cleaned the other day

Betablockeruk
27th Jan 2020, 18:07
OY-VKH. The story goes that it would cost too much to hire in engineers to get it airworthy - it was mid maintenance. To be parted out I understand.

daz211
27th Jan 2020, 19:28
Hello, anyone working at MAN and or TUI, Please can you confirm Aircraft type.

Mon 14th September TOM2146 (MAN-ACE).
Mon 21st September TOM2147 (ACE- MAN).

I know the situation with the MAX, Just need to know what’s down to operate it in the system atm.

thanks in advance.

ETOPS
29th Jan 2020, 07:16
That's 8 months away and over the boundary before S20 so I doubt anyone in TUI ops could give you a firm answer. Also what are you going to do if you get the reassurance you seek only to find a last minute change on the day?

GrahamK
29th Jan 2020, 07:56
That's 8 months away and over the boundary before S20 so I doubt anyone in TUI ops could give you a firm answer. Also what are you going to do if you get the reassurance you seek only to find a last minute change on the day?

Currently showing as a 767-300ER

boredintheairport
29th Jan 2020, 08:34
Sources (https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jan/29/coronavirus-live-updates-china-wuhan-death-toll-cases-symptoms-treatment-evacuation-us-japanese-citizens-latest-news) reporting that BA and Virgin Atlantic are, with immediate effect, ceasing flights to mainland China.

Obviously doesn't directly touch Manchester. However, with the FCO advice being 'all but essential travel' it may not be long before others follow suit (e.g. Hainan's Beijing service).

daz211
29th Jan 2020, 11:25
Currently showing as a 767-300ER
Thanks for the info, I’m flying Jet2 as always, My friends are flying out for the final week with TUI, already book, and are worried about the Max, so at least they will be happy with the current aircraft.

GrahamK
1st Feb 2020, 12:45
Hainan apparently suspending MAN-PEK for approx 7 weeks

Scottie Dog
1st Feb 2020, 15:01
Not surprising as most airlines appear to be cancelling services to mainland China until the end of March.

pilot9250
4th Feb 2020, 01:02
Thats funny as they have a fleet of almost 70 short haul aircraft and have carried somewhere in region of 18M pax so no way are they a small operator

Chaps, 70 in fleet and 18M pax is entirely consistent with virtually unknown in China.

新年快乐!

HKGBOY
4th Feb 2020, 13:20
I see Etihad are flogging 22 A330s (Most not flown this year) So,there's a chance for Virgin to buy up and base a few at MAN- wouldn't hold my breath though. If they are/were serious about a MAN network with Flybe etc- now's the chance.

chaps1954
5th Feb 2020, 10:08
Not just a strait forward as that but would be nice

flyerguy
5th Feb 2020, 21:52
I see Etihad are flogging 22 A330s (Most not flown this year) So,there's a chance for Virgin to buy up and base a few at MAN- wouldn't hold my breath though. If they are/were serious about a MAN network with Flybe etc- now's the chance.

The 330s are going to a leasing company

DomyDom
6th Feb 2020, 15:33
New FR route:
Manchester- Rodez 2pw fron June 2020
https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-launches-new-manchester-route-to-rodez-france/

flyerguy
6th Feb 2020, 16:28
Hainan apparently suspending MAN-PEK for approx 7 weeks

Whether it says suspended for 7 weeks remain to be seen, as today the Chinese Authorities asked Chinese Carriers to maintain INTL ops. If this includes PEK-MAN, we may see it back sooner than 7 weeks

chinapattern
6th Feb 2020, 19:54
Juneyao have pushed back the start of Helsinki/Shanghai until the end of April...personally I think that’s optimistic.

VHF4
7th Feb 2020, 09:48
Does anyone know what might happen to the TCX hangar? Looks like someone is still paying to keep the lights on... I did hear that there was an aircraft in there that was halfway through a check but could be a rumour ofc... Presumably, MAN will want those mothballed A330s gone before the summer starts up.

Dublin aerospace are interested in acquiring the facility i hear and have held job interviews.

Mr A Tis
7th Feb 2020, 14:33
I see Jet2 are moving some flights (Antalya & Palma) from T2 back to T1 from 29 March. I thought the idea was to move everything to T2 eventually ?
Without TCX T1 is a lot less crowded, but would have thought better to get some of the T3 operators (KLM/AF for instance) out of that (T3) mess and into T1.

boredintheairport
7th Feb 2020, 16:30
I see Jet2 are moving some flights (Antalya & Palma) from T2 back to T1 from 29 March. I thought the idea was to move everything to T2 eventually ?
Without TCX T1 is a lot less crowded, but would have thought better to get some of the T3 operators (KLM/AF for instance) out of that (T3) mess and into T1.

The logic as I understood it was that Flybe serve their new masters at AF/KL/VS/DL and whomever else (and I noted today in DUS and AMS that Flybe had prominent Virgin Atlantic logos for the code shares on the Manchester departures. With Flybe in T3 with AF/KL makes sense to take all or none or perhaps try and put them all in one place.

Mr Good Cat
7th Feb 2020, 18:47

Literally not enough room at T2 for all 29 of the Jet2 summer MAN fleet. Not yet anyway. I guess we'll see what happens when the remote area behind Pier 1 is complete, but as it stands 70% of Jet2's flights are T1 in S20.

Scottie Dog
7th Feb 2020, 19:36
Dublin aerospace are interested in acquiring the facility i hear and have held job interviews.
That confirms what I had heard although not that it had got to the interview stage. Very good news if it's true for both the airport and, more importantly, the engineers.

VHF4
8th Feb 2020, 09:28
That confirms what I had heard although not that it had got to the interview stage. Very good news if it's true for both the airport and, more importantly, the engineers.

Yes im sure such a great facility won’t be empty for long....There was rumour of Virgin also being interested .

HKGBOY
8th Feb 2020, 11:09
Cathay are chopping over half their entire network until the end of March. Mainly multiple schedule reductions- but the following routes suspended completely until March 28 : London (Gatwick), Rome, Washington, Newark, Male, Davao, Clark, Jeju, and Taichung. So Manchester appears to be keeping its full schedule. (Source SCMP)

chinapattern
8th Feb 2020, 11:45
Cathay are chopping over half their entire network until the end of March. Mainly multiple schedule reductions- but the following routes suspended completely until March 28 : London (Gatwick), Rome, Washington, Newark, Male, Davao, Clark, Jeju, and Taichung. So Manchester appears to be keeping its full schedule. (Source SCMP)

Cathay looks to be revised to x4 per week throughout March while Hainan is suspended completely until the end of March.

JETSET115
9th Feb 2020, 09:17
Juneyao have pushed back the start of Helsinki/Shanghai until the end of April...personally I think that’s optimistic.
ive not seen anything posted to say man pvg service is being put back

spannersatcx
9th Feb 2020, 18:03
9 additional flights cancelled, 2 already planned cancellations. They appear to be ad-hoc, most likely based on bookings.

FFHKG
10th Feb 2020, 14:24
In today's Airlineroute update, it is confirmed that Juneyao will keep PVG/HEL at 3 weekly until mid-April and planned extensions of this service to MAN, DUB, & KEF are also postponed until mid-April.

110Cornets
10th Feb 2020, 20:38
9 additional flights cancelled, 2 already planned cancellations. They appear to be ad-hoc, most likely based on bookings.

Yep, now showing in the GDS. 20 flights total operating during March.

First half of March in general fewer flights but all on 351, second half flights are more frequent but on 359.

April still close to full schedule (359 weekdays and 351 weekends) but that will no doubt change as the situation develops.

Cathay seem to be doing a great job at managing capacity.

And they’ve really shifted focus to transit pax - some awesome fares for long haul pax starting and ending outside of East Asia,

FFHKG
11th Feb 2020, 09:29
Am I correct in thinking that MAN handled 4 EK 380's yesterday, the three daily scheduled plus the one delayed by the weather on Sunday? Feel sorry for anyone on the Sunday delayed flight that did not get re-scheduled on the Sunday evening and Monday mornings flights..... assume they were accommodated in hotels overnight. What happened to the inbound passengers from Sunday who were diverted to FRA?

BHX5DME
19th Feb 2020, 18:09
Hainan

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/02/19/china-to-take-over-hna-group-and-sell-its-airline-assets-report-says.html

davidjohnson6
23rd Feb 2020, 13:54
Juneyao to Shanghai via Helsinki no longer on sale, even after April

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/289769/juneyao-airlines-s20-europe-service-changes-as-of-21feb20/

HKGBOY
23rd Feb 2020, 20:08
If you want to go to Shanghai via Helsinki- surely you would go with Finnair?
Good connections, no need for Juneyao anyway

PDXCWL45
24th Feb 2020, 05:39
If you want to go to Shanghai via Helsinki- surely you would go with Finnair?
Good connections, no need for Juneyao anyway
I would have thought if you were starting or ending your journey at Manchester you would not get off the aircraft at Helsinki. It's just a stop on the way. Same as Ethiopian Airlines stopping at Brussels on the way to and from Manchester.

flyerguy
24th Feb 2020, 05:42
I would have thought if you were starting or ending your journey at Manchester you would not get off the aircraft at Helsinki. It's just a stop on the way. Same as Ethiopian Airlines stopping at Brussels on the way to and from Manchester.

Talking of Ethiopian, could we ever see a few ‘non stop’ flights possibly, looks like the past few flights have been arriving around 40-50% load terminating at MAN (I’m not sure the quota of seats for ADD-BRU and ADD-MAN but if it is 50/50 then it seems to be doing well)

PDXCWL45
24th Feb 2020, 05:47
Talking of Ethiopian, could we ever see a few ‘non stop’ flights possibly, looks like the past few flights have been arriving around 40-50% load terminating at MAN (I’m not sure the quota of seats for ADD-BRU and ADD-MAN but if it is 50/50 then it seems to be doing well)
I wouldn't be surprised if eventually Manchester ends up with a non stop flight maybe on a 737.
As for the quota between airports I wouldn't know what they are but I'd expect that Brussels would get the largest amount seats allocated to it.

flyerguy
24th Feb 2020, 05:49
I wouldn't be surprised if eventually Manchester ends up with a non stop flight maybe on a 737.
As for the quota between airports I wouldn't know what they are but I'd expect that Brussels would get the largest amount seats allocated to it.

Id expect BRU to have a larger percentage also as that is ‘non stop’ to ADD. I remember the time they brought the MAX into MAN. Apparently landed with less fuel than is required, so if that’s the case then I’d expect it not to be a 737MAX when they’re back and if the route becomes non stop.

Logohu
25th Feb 2020, 01:51
Airline Route now saying Ethiopian will be all nonstop between MAN and ADD from 01st July. 4x weekly on B787-9

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/289817/ethiopian-airlines-europe-service-changes-from-july-2020/

flyerguy
25th Feb 2020, 06:34
Airline Route now saying Ethiopian will be all nonstop between MAN and ADD from 01st July. 4x weekly on B787-9

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/289817/ethiopian-airlines-europe-service-changes-from-july-2020/

My crystal ball was correct!

FFHKG
25th Feb 2020, 06:56
CX reporting a reduction in the MAN/HKG flights down to 2X weekly. Most CX routes are being drastically curtailed or cancelled until April, along with most other carriers operating to/from or within Asia.

chaps1954
25th Feb 2020, 07:15
Quite interesting in that it will be a B789 not B788

Suzeman
25th Feb 2020, 09:20
Quite interesting in that it will be a B789 not B788

Was already planned to go to all 789 before they de-linked it, so lots of extra capacity now.

azz767
25th Feb 2020, 09:24
https://twitter.com/airportnewsMAN/status/1231310913405407232?s=20

Posted by a usually reliable source regarding VS and its plans at MAN. Does anybody have any more information?

BA318
25th Feb 2020, 09:35
VS are launching 3x weekly seasonal MAN-Delhi https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/1232250984434266112?s=20

Navpi
29th Feb 2020, 20:49
Iberia plans to increase Manchester Madrid in Summer.
possibly using a unit from BHX as that service will terminate. Must confess I'm amazed BHX cannot fill a Madrid service a few times a week?

azz767
5th Mar 2020, 09:10
With Flybe going into administration, what do we think the impacts will be for MAN? It has lost two of its most prominent carriers in the last 7 months.

I should imagine a certain Irish airline will be licking their lips at the new available gate space at T3.

I also wonder if it will have any impacts on the VS growth plans at MAN.

It will also be interesting to see if any of their routes get picked up by the likes of Loganair or Eastern.

boredintheairport
5th Mar 2020, 14:29
With Flybe going into administration, what do we think the impacts will be for MAN? It has lost two of its most prominent carriers in the last 7 months.

I should imagine a certain Irish airline will be licking their lips at the new available gate space at T3.

It will also be interesting to see if any of their routes get picked up by the likes of Loganair or Eastern.

It looks like Loganair picked up a couple of the Manchester routes, notably Aberdeen and Edinburgh. No indication on frequencies. Start in the next fortnight or so. It will take a long time to work out the real sustainable demand after the dust of the bankruptcy and the coronavirus challenges.

I think by far the biggest drain on any VS expansion is the collapse in demand. They pushed back the introduction of the Sao Paolo route from Heathrow for a start.

The Loganair booking engine gives numerous daily frequencies, but half have a LM2XXX flight number, appear shadow another flight, and are all default sold out. It seems the flights that stick will be four daily, approx morning, approx midday, approx late afternoon and an evening (certainly on the random Thursday I searched for). Flights are a bit more pricey than Flybe but not by much, and a better value proposition given you get luggage.

LBIA
5th Mar 2020, 14:32
Eastern Airways to start Manchester - Southampton route next week

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/eastern-airways-to-operate-independently-after-flybe-demise-21596

zfw
5th Mar 2020, 20:09
Ryanair did originaly request to base more aircraft at MAN S20 but were turned down due to lack of space/slots...............watch this space.

LFC22
5th Mar 2020, 21:25
Who was handling Flybe at MAN? Used to work at Menzies when they had the contract which then went to Airline Services and back to Menzies. Guessing a lot of staff are going to be laid off there

flyerguy
5th Mar 2020, 21:26
Who was handling Flybe at MAN? Used to work at Menzies when they had the contract which then went to Airline Services and back to Menzies. Guessing a lot of staff are going to be laid off there

Menzies were

TURIN
7th Mar 2020, 10:17

The rumour from the ground is that Menzies staff have been told to expect large redundancies. Possibly even pulling out of MAN completely.
Very sad and devastating for all concerned.

The96er
7th Mar 2020, 14:17
The rumour from the ground is that Menzies staff have been told to expect large redundancies. Possibly even pulling out of MAN completely.
Very sad and devastating for all concerned.

All Menzies staff involved in Ramp handling, i.e Baggage handling, Check-in, Operations have been put at risk of redundency. This for the second time in a few months after previously losing the AF/KL contract. I'm told that they will not be pulling out due to the IAG contract which runs through to Jun 2022, because in doing so, would put the rest of the contract at risk in EDI, GLA and DUB. Menzies still have an expanded Loganair contract to service along with Iceland air.

Swissport, who also provided cleaning services for Flybe may also be looking at staff numbers, although, I've not heard anything official.

750XL
7th Mar 2020, 15:33
Just as with Thomas Cook, there will be job losses across the board, the effect of such a huge airline going under affects everyone.

Handlers, cleaners, refuellers, caterers, maintenance staff, shop staff, bus drivers, meet and greet parking, the lot! Painful for the staff who have to go through this over and over again, ie Monarch, BMI, Thomas, Flybe, and the rest.

SWBKCB
7th Mar 2020, 15:54
Painful for the staff who have to go through this over and over again, ie Monarch, BMI, Thomas, Flybe, and the rest.

The rate of turnover in the industry is remarakable - when I was at Servisair our big customers were Air Europe, Britannia, Laker, Orion and Wardair...

avicon13
9th Mar 2020, 09:08

I wonder if there's a chance of RYR have T3 all to themselves in the not too distant future? I understand T3 was set to be FB and RYR only at such time at T2 was fully open (T1 closed) with all other carries processing through there.

Also, does anyone know what happened with the aircraft ownership when FB was taken over? Could Virgin do their Virgin Connect airline by buying the others out of the aircraft ownership (if the aircraft to transferred out of FB)?

ETOPS
9th Mar 2020, 09:14
Could Virgin do their Virgin Connect airline

Sorry but Mark Anderson specifically said the Connect project was dead and would not be going ahead.

Startledgrapefruit
9th Mar 2020, 09:15
I think Virgin is going to keep out of regional flying for a while
Connect could do it with a rebrand of stobart.
At the moment I think Branston is feeling a bit sheepish.
Bit like when you walk in to the office the day after the Christmas party.

ETOPS
9th Mar 2020, 09:17
In a pickle maybe?

The AvgasDinosaur
9th Mar 2020, 19:00
I think Virgin is going to keep out of regional flying for a while
Connect could do it with a rebrand of stobart.
At the moment I think Branston is feeling a bit sheepish.
Bit like when you walk in to the office the day after the Christmas party.
As I understand it Branson has little if anything to do with Virgin these days. Though he is inextricably linked to the brand name. I think Delta own the majority shareholding in Virgin Atlantic and have done for some time.
David

SWBKCB
9th Mar 2020, 19:18
As an american company, Delta can't be the majority shareholders - this seems to be the latest position?

https://inews.co.uk/news/business/richard-branson-changes-his-mind-about-selling-virgin-atlantic-shares-to-air-france-klm-1330277

Sir Richard Branson (https://inews.co.uk/topic/richard-branson) is close to retaining control of his airline Virgin Atlantic Airways following talks to abandon plans for Air France-KLM to acquire more than half of his 51 per cent stake in the carrier.

The billionaire entrepreneur has agreed with the Franco-Dutch group to cancel plans for him to sell 31 per cent of Virgin Atlantic for £220m, meaning Sir Richard will keep control of the group, with US carrier Delta Air Lines holding 49 per cent.

Sir Richard said: “We have agreed, subject to contract, with our new joint venture partners, that our family will continue to hold the 51 per cent of Virgin Atlantic shares we own.

MKY661
10th Mar 2020, 13:40
Heard there’s gonna be a replacement on the MAN-LUX route too. Probably EasyJet or Ryanair would be my guess?

virginblue
10th Mar 2020, 14:14
Luxair? Didn't they run LUX-MAN-DUB flights for many years?

Adola69
10th Mar 2020, 14:35
Being Positive, :- I understand it's Luxair with DH-8D, 3 x week on a Mon Wed Fri from around early May.

Being Negative :- I wonder if MAplc are beginning to regret putting all their eggs into the " Passenger " basket after successfully ridding themselves of any substantial freighter only operations?

I know freight is in a downturn at present as well as pax but diversification is the name of the game these days, especially with lots of runway slots available now.

I do hope Mr. Freight organiser (based at Stansted I'm told) catches a cold down there as well !

As a possible revenue earner, how about drag racing on 23L / 05R, - not much need for it as a runway at present!

Tin Hat at the ready, I think I hear the first Salvo inbound now? - ---------- crump crump crump!

OzzyOzBorn
10th Mar 2020, 14:50
MAG enjoys all the revenues from their specialist cargo operations at EMA and STN. They appear to redirect all (MAN) cargo enquiries to those airports whenever possible as a matter of policy. So I'd guess they won't be concerned that dedicated freighter aircraft are rarely operated through MAN (FedEx excepted).

This situation isn't great for MAN itself, but the airport owners will see it as all part of the plan.

inOban
10th Mar 2020, 14:58
The major distribution hubs, whether supplied by air or by container from the gateway ports, are all in a area of the north Midlands, because trucks from there can reach most regional hubs, eg for the supermarkets, within 4 hours or so. The driver can do a round trip within legal hours. EMA is best placed for these.

750XL
10th Mar 2020, 15:48
Manchester doesn't need freighters, the revenue generated by such flights is a drop in the ocean for an airport the size of MAN. The inconvenience of losing vital stand capacity isn't worth the hassle, when you've got EMA just down the road.

Scottie Dog
10th Mar 2020, 16:00
Being Positive, :- I understand it's Luxair with DH-8D, 3 x week on a Mon Wed Fri from around early May.

I agree on your comment and I understand it will be Terminal 3.

Suzeman
10th Mar 2020, 18:51
As a possible revenue earner, how about drag racing on 23L / 05R, - not much need for it as a runway at present!

Using 23L/05R for car racing was an tongue in cheek idea in 2001 after the Twin Towers attack and subsequent downturn. The runway had only been open a few months.

And in the 70s, the then Airport Director, Gordon Sweetapple, who was a great racing fan, used to test his go kart out on the main runway on a Sunday morning when it was particularly quiet. If ATC required the runway for an aircraft movement, they flashed the edge lights on and off and the go kart then cleared the runway. No safety cases and standard operating procedures in those days. :ooh:

On a more serious note, many jobs at MAN and other airports are now at risk and I keep my fingers crossed for each and every one of you.

OzzyOzBorn
10th Mar 2020, 21:39
Manchester doesn't need freighters, the revenue generated by such flights is a drop in the ocean for an airport the size of MAN. The inconvenience of losing vital stand capacity isn't worth the hassle

I take the point you're making, but handling a commercial aircraft on a scheduled operational turnaround isn't "losing a stand". It is putting a stand to the use it is intended for.

Danny G
11th Mar 2020, 14:55
[QUOTE=Suzeman;10709177]Using 23L/05R for car racing was an tongue in cheek idea in 2001 after the Twin Towers attack and subsequent downturn. The runway had only been open a few months.

And in the 70s, the then Airport Director, Gordon Sweetapple, who was a great racing fan, used to test his go kart out on the main runway on a Sunday morning when it was particularly quiet. If ATC required the runway for an aircraft movement, they flashed the edge lights on and off and the go kart then cleared the runway. No safety cases and standard operating procedures in those days. :ooh:

He did a couple of friends of mine used to sort the engine for him. We where only talking about it a week or so ago. It was a class 4 with a Villers engine. if I remember correctly

GrahamK
11th Mar 2020, 15:34
Didnt Top Gear borrow runway 2 a few years back also?

eye2eye5
13th Mar 2020, 13:40
RBS has advised staff to work from home, where possible, from Monday. As we used to refer to the MAN-EDI service as the RBS (or NatWest) shuttle when I was working for them, that decision will impact on the new Loganair service - when it starts.

Baltic Skies
16th Mar 2020, 16:20
Just checked a 2 week car park price for T3 in April and still not competitive
Would have thought with the huge downturn in flights,some attempt to attract extra business with some favourable parking deals might be an idea,but not so far.

Flying Hi
16th Mar 2020, 16:22
Just checked a 2 week car park price for T3 in April and still not competitive
Would have thought with the huge downturn in flights,some attempt to attract extra business with some favourable parking deals might be an idea,but not so far.
First you need to be able to fly somewhere.:bored:

eggc
16th Mar 2020, 18:51
MAG Pay cuts and temporary layoffs...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-impose-temporary-lay-17935247

zfw
17th Mar 2020, 10:47
MAG Pay cuts and temporary layoffs...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-impose-temporary-lay-17935247

Have just phoned work and it seems the Evenin News maybe a tad premature with its announcements, staff have been told bugger all as usual.

flyerguy
17th Mar 2020, 11:52
Have just phoned work and it seems the Evenin News maybe a tad premature with its announcements, staff have been told bugger all as usual.

Think this is more to do with Handling Agents.

Some Swissport staff have been told not to come in and given 21 days UPL

AndrewH52
17th Mar 2020, 16:43
No, the announcement is by MAG and affects Manchester, Stansted and East Midlands. They are bringing in ‘enforced annual leave, reduced working hours, temporary pay cuts and temporary lay-offs’ according to Business Live and quoting Charlie Cornish the Group CEO.

Another impact is a freeze on recruitment and a freeze on capital expenditure - so possibly implications for the next phases of the T2 redevelopment.

flyerguy
17th Mar 2020, 20:01
Rumours of consolidating terminals, due to a significant amount of flights being cancelled. I’ve heard it’s been put on the table of moving all T2 flights over to T1.

Scottie Dog
17th Mar 2020, 20:06
Already reported elsewhere, but also as a rumour. It would however make sense in the present climate.

flyerguy
17th Mar 2020, 20:07
Already reported elsewhere, but also as a rumour. It would however make sense in the present climate.

Yeah! I’ve been told directly by someone who works at MAN that it’s on the table.

planedrive
17th Mar 2020, 22:21
Runway 2 closed UFN due lack of demand. Staff South and Staff East both closing. All staff to park in Multi Storeys by the terminals.

Scottie Dog
17th Mar 2020, 22:36
No NOTAM issued at this time.

TURIN
17th Mar 2020, 23:37
Runway 2 closed UFN due lack of demand. Staff South and Staff East both closing. All staff to park in Multi Storeys by the terminals.

Staff South can still be used but there's no shuttle bus. Some people walk to to West gate security. Its also open for Cargo Centre staff.

spannersatcx
18th Mar 2020, 14:12
Yeah! I’ve been told directly by someone who works at MAN that it’s on the table.
starts next Monday. T1 only, 2 and 3 to close.

zfw
20th Mar 2020, 15:37
From Emirates:

Quote:
Emirates’ flights to London Heathrow will be reduced to two flights a day, while Glasgow, Manchester and Birmingham will be served with one flight a day from 25 March to 30 June, 2020 (https://e.emiratesagents.com/2OIE-10QHU-32UM8C-MT2R0-1/c.aspx).

These destinations will all be served by Boeing 777s. The airline will also temporarily suspend its fights to Newcastle, London Stansted, London Gatwick and Edinburgh over the same period.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused. We continue to monitor the situation closely, and look forward to resuming normal operations when feasible.

spannersatcx
20th Mar 2020, 19:11
Cathay Pacific to reduce passenger capacity by 96% in April and MayFriday, March 20, 2020 — Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will reduce capacity by 96% across our passenger network in April and May in light of the severe drop in demand due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and multiple government travel restrictions that form part of the global health response plan.

As previously announced, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon intend to operate a bare skeleton passenger flight schedule in April and May, though our freighter capacity remains intact.

Our ability to maintain even this skeleton schedule will depend on whether more travel restrictions are imposed by governments around the world which will further dampen passenger demand.

Cathay Pacific will operate three flights per week to 12 destinations: London (Heathrow), Los Angeles, Vancouver, Tokyo (Narita), Taipei, New Delhi, Bangkok, Jakarta, Manila, Ho Chi Minh City, Singapore and Sydney.

Cathay Dragon will operate three flights per week to 3 destinations: Beijing, Shanghai (Pudong), and Kuala Lumpur.

Last flight to MAN 3rd April :(

Scottie Dog
20th Mar 2020, 19:26
Thanks Spanners. It'll be very strange until normal(ish) service is restored.

spannersatcx
20th Mar 2020, 19:57
Thanks Spanners. It'll be very strange until normal(ish) service is restored.
yes it will, fingers crossed normal service is resumed, for all.

Sotonsean
23rd Mar 2020, 12:13
It seems like Manchester Airport is following suit with other airports in terminal closures.

www.airport-technology.com/news/covid-19-manchester-airport/

Sotonsean
24th Mar 2020, 12:21
I find it rather strange that the Manchester Airport thread was one of the most active one's here on pprune but know one has posted anything since the 20 March 2020 except for my post on the 23 March 2020 regarding terminal closures at Manchester Airport which no one has responded to.

Considering that the majority of the population of the United Kingdom have been advised to stay at home due to the current situation I'm rather puzzled that it's gone completely quiet on the Manchester Airport thread especially considering how the others are still very much active during this awful period.

SWBKCB
24th Mar 2020, 14:19
There's a Northern expression - when you have nothing to say, say nothing

Mr Mac
24th Mar 2020, 17:43
Sotonsean
Came back through there after a round about route from Germany, as I decided to stay with my wife in UK to ride this out, partly due to the fact that she could not enter Germany as no resident permit, but also she has her own company to look after here, where as with mine remote working is something that we do most of the time. Anyway in Yorkshire (for the foreseeable future) so miles flown will drop this year, along with money earned. Luckily we will remain at full pay through at least 20 weeks, by which time we hope to be coming out of this slowly. It is quite odd wondering through these terminals when hardly anybody on the flight and or terminal. Must say rudimentary inspection at immigration with just officer wearing gloves, no temp scanning appeared to being done. Does make for a quick trip from plane home though, from unbuckling seat to walking through door at home 1hr 10min and it is a good 50min drive !😊
Stay safe
Kind regards
Mr Mac

Scottie Dog
24th Mar 2020, 18:06
Sotonsean

Whilst I monitor this thread I have refrain from posting on here of recent due to the attitude of the moderator.

I may return at sometime - although after this post I'll probably be banned!! - in the future, but for now I'll stay on the side lines.

HKGBOY
24th Mar 2020, 19:34
I'm not sure what you want people to say? Virtually everything is grounded. A complete closure of MAN (& others) cannot be ruled out. This is a reset button, don't expect resumption of any of the old schedules even when restrictions get lifted. In the meantime there is nothing to say.

MAN2SIN2BKK2FRA
24th Mar 2020, 19:54
Sotonsean

Whilst I monitor this thread I have refrain from posting on here of recent due to the attitude of the moderator.

I may return at sometime - although after this post I'll probably be banned!! - in the future, but for now I'll stay on the side lines.

I miss your updates on the terminal 2 redevelopment. I trust that the work is still continuing on schedule

TURIN
24th Mar 2020, 21:00
I find it rather strange that the Manchester Airport thread was one of the most active one's here on pprune but know one has posted anything since the 20 March 2020 except for my post on the 23 March 2020 regarding terminal closures at Manchester Airport which no one has responded to.

Considering that the majority of the population of the United Kingdom have been advised to stay at home due to the current situation I'm rather puzzled that it's gone completely quiet on the Manchester Airport thread especially considering how the others are still very much active during this awful period.

Well, as you had only repeated what had been posted some days earlier, I suppose it was old news.

With Etihad and Emirates stopping and Qatar down to one a day its only a matter of time before there's a complete closure, unless the cargo side can keep it going.

Sotonsean
25th Mar 2020, 06:32
Well at least I got the thread active again albeit briefly.

Not sure why some feel as if there is nothing to say as ALL of the other threads continue to show some form of activity 🤔

MARK9263
25th Mar 2020, 07:21
I'm curious as to how many aircraft are parked up at MAN, if anyone can shed any light? Is the airport clogged with parked aircraft?

rkenyon
25th Mar 2020, 11:29
I miss your updates on the terminal 2 redevelopment. I trust that the work is still continuing on schedule

You can still get updates from Scotty on SkyScraperCity - drill down into Manchester Transport, and there is an airport thread.

However, they seem to be having a few issues over the last few days (maybe under a DDoS attack???).

pwalhx
25th Mar 2020, 11:47
They have been updating the site, the issues are related to that, just need to be a little patient till they are sorted.

Scottie Dog
25th Mar 2020, 11:49
They have been updating the site, the issues are related to that, just need to be a little patient till they are sorted.
Thanks for that and I'll be doing updates on there either later today or tomorrow at the latest.

Suzeman
25th Mar 2020, 20:21
Well at least I got the thread active again albeit briefly.

Not sure why some feel as if there is nothing to say as ALL of the other threads continue to show some form of activity 🤔

Could it just be that the regulars on here have rather more important things on their mind than answering questions from someone from Southampton?

dbromle
26th Mar 2020, 11:43
I'm curious as to how many aircraft are parked up at MAN, if anyone can shed any light? Is the airport clogged with parked aircraft?
Cant comment on that but SWMBO arrived back from Puerto Vallarta this morning. She said they stood on a taxiway for approx. half an hour having been told this was because there was no stand available.

Scottie Dog
26th Mar 2020, 11:59
Cant comment on that but SWMBO arrived back from Puerto Vallarta this morning. She said they stood on a taxiway for approx. half an hour having been told this was because there was no stand available.

It also might have been due to the following that was introduced yesterday.:OAN 36/2020 – PASSENGER DISTANCING

OAN REF:- 36/2020 DATE OF ISSUE:- 25/03/20 EFFECTIVE DATE:- 25/03/20 EXPIRY DATE:- UFN

1.0 SUMMARY

1.1 Due to the outbreak of COVID-19 and subsequent social distancing protocol, it is extremely important we provide our guests with the greatest opportunity to the follow distancing protocol.

2.0 ENABLING DISTANCING FOR ARRIVING PASSENGERS

2.1 With immediate effect all arriving flights will be spaced at 20 nautical miles or greater.

2.2 Airfield control will aim to allocate aircraft parking stands to enable the greatest opportunity for social distancing during simultaneous or bunched arrivals.

2.3 Flow control will allocate baggage arrival carrousels to enable greatest opportunity for social distancing including multiple belts per individual flight.

2.4 The Customer Service Agent in the immigration hall is to confirm to Airfield Operations once the immigration hall is appropriately clear of the previous inbound flight.

2.5 Passengers will remain on board until the respective ground handlers receives positive confirmation from Airfield Operations to disembark.

3.0 PASSENGER ANNOUNCEMENTS

3.1 Passenger announcements will take place to ensure segregation of UKBF desks and e-Gates as well as Customer service Agents providing verbal advice in immigration and the baggage reclaim hall.

4.0 ENFORCEMENT OF THE SOCIAL DISTANCING PROTOCOL

4.1 Greater Manchester Police will increase presence in the immigration and baggage reclaim hall to provide additional guidance and to disperse groups of 3 and over.

5.0 LANDSIDE AREAS

5.1 Social distancing protocol will also be monitored for compliance throughout the landside campus including queueing at meet and greet, car park pay machines, private hire and hackney carriages.

Suzeman
26th Mar 2020, 12:53
Probably a reaction to this.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/shocking-images-manchester-airport-terminal-17969642

dbromle
26th Mar 2020, 18:53
The airport's efforts re social distancing are to be welcomed. However given the small number of arrivals and departures it is difficult to understand the shortage of stands, especially when the aircraft is sitting on the taxiway with engines running. If they'd told the passengers why they were being held they might have earned some credit for it.

Curious Pax
26th Mar 2020, 19:24
The airport's efforts re social distancing are to be welcomed. However given the small number of arrivals and departures it is difficult to understand the shortage of stands, especially when the aircraft is sitting on the taxiway with engines running. If they'd told the passengers why they were being held they might have earned some credit for it.

Point 2.5 in the quoted notam suggests perhaps shortage of stands wasn’t the actual reason for the delay in disembarking.

zfw
30th Mar 2020, 20:24
From April 1st, operating hours 0600-1600 from T1, airfield to remain open.

zfw

Suzeman
31st Mar 2020, 08:55

zfw

Just to clarify, that means runway 05L/23R will remain open H24

TURIN
31st Mar 2020, 09:34

zfw
Well here we are on April fools day and there's no sign of that. BA have a flight at 2010.

highwideandugly
31st Mar 2020, 09:37
Have the clocks gone forward again?

Flying Hi
31st Mar 2020, 10:04
"31 days hath March"

zfw
31st Mar 2020, 10:33
Well here we are on April fools day and there's no sign of that. BA have a flight at 2010.Airport Operating Hours

Charlie mentioned that demand had dramatically decreased at all of our airports, with the exception of East Midlands where its cargo operation is busier than normal. Over the weekend, Manchester saw a total of 57 arrivals and departures and 2,763 guests. To put that into context, normally at this time of year we would be seeing 35,000 guests per day.

Further to this, today easyJet and Ethiopia Airlines announced they would be grounding flights and Ryanair has reduced its operations even further.

In line with this limited demand, with effect from Wednesday 1 April, our operational hours for Terminal 1 will be 06:00-16:00. We will however maintain 24/7 airfield operational capability.

Scottie Dog
31st Mar 2020, 10:46
I understood that it was to be:

MAN will remain 24/7 but terminals arrs 0600-1600 and deps 0800-1600 from Weds 01Apr, initially to 30Apr, But at present no OAN has been issued.

The96er
31st Mar 2020, 11:48
Latest NOTAM for MAN:A1264/20 NOTAMN

Q)EGTT/QFALT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5321N00217W005

A) EGCC

B) 2004010500 C) 2005010500

E) COVID 19 INFORMATION:

AD CLSD TO SCHEDULED INBOUND FLIGHTS BTN 0500-1500 DAILY AND SCHEDULED DEPARTING FLIGHTS BTN 0700-1500 DAILY. THIS RESTRICTION DOES NOT AFFECT THE FOLLOWING FLIGHTS:

1. ACFT IN STATE OF EMERGENCY

2. CARGO FLIGHTS

3. TECHNICAL LANDING

4. SPECIAL FLIGHTS/REPATRIATION/HUMANITARIAN 5. PRIVATE FLIGHTS EXCEPT ACFT IN EMERGENCY THE EXEMPTED FLIGHTS ARE TO SEEK PRE-AUTHORISATION (PPR) FROM THE AD OPERATOR TEL +44 (0)161 489 3331. AIR OPERATORS ARE ABLE TO FILE EGCC AS AN ALTERNATE AERODROME.

AIR OPERATORS MUST ENSURE GROUND HANDLING SUPPORT IS AVBL AT ALL TIMES. RFFS CAT10 H24.

Scottie Dog
31st Mar 2020, 11:53
That reads rather oddly - closed between those times? Previous advise seemed to give open between.

Let's see if there's an update?

Scottie Dog
31st Mar 2020, 18:38
Update now issued:
Q) EGTT/QFALT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5321N00217W005
B) FROM: 20/04/01 05:00C) TO: 20/05/01 05:00E) COVID 19 INFORMATION: MANCHESTER WILL ONLY BE OPERATIONAL FOR
SCHEDULED INBOUND FLIGHTS BTN 0500-1500 DAILY AND SCHEDULED
DEPARTING FLIGHTS BTN 0700-1500 DAILY. THIS RESTRICTION DOES NOT
AFFECT THE FOLLOWING FLIGHTS:
2. CARGO FLIGHTS
3. TECHNICAL LANDING
4. SPECIAL FLIGHTS/REPATRIATION/HUMANITARIAN 5. PRIVATE FLIGHTS
5. PRIVATE FLIGHTS
EXCEPT ACFT IN EMERGENCY THE EXEMPTED FLIGHTS ARE TO SEEK
PRE-AUTHORISATION (PPR) FROM THE AD OPERATOR TEL +44 (0)161 489
3331. AIR OPERATORS ARE ABLE TO FILE EGCC AS AN ALTERNATE AERODROME.
AIR OPERATORS MUST ENSURE GROUND HANDLING SUPPORT IS AVBL AT ALL
TIMES. RFFS CAT10 H24.

Adola69
31st Mar 2020, 22:16
Well here we are in a crisis but in a boom time for Airfreight it would seem. You'd expect that Man with it's Worldwide reputation as being Britains Number 3 airport, to be participating in this bonanza and a least generating some revenue and employment for it's beleagured workforce and the agencies on the airport. So let's see, what has been the result so far?

Absolutely ZERO. What a fantastic result No.3 ! :ugh:

We are always hearing that we don't get freight traffic because we have so much underbelly capacity. Well, now we have zero, so where is all the freight going ?

Oh yes, we don't have the handling capacity anymore as we have no Hi-Lo's available at this International Giant jet port!

What a shamefull reflection it is on it's ability to get freight quickly to areas of the North West of England, especially if it's of the Medical variety. It is doing the NW a great dis-service by the apparent inability to attract or un-willingness
to have adecent freight operation. Oh yes, lets pack out the MAG groups other facilities at EMA and Standstill and then we can let the stuff be trucked up to the NW.

All the eggs have been placed in one basket ( Pax) and the bottom has fallen out of that Carrier bag and will take a long long time to recover, IF IT EVER DOES ?

May as well demolish the Freight sheds at Man and turn them into a car Park ready for the return of Passengers which is their Meat and two Veg, meanwhile rent some cheap wharehousing in Trafford Park for the freight operation.

I'm dumbfounded by the lack of any initiative being shown at present. Are the management working from home on their Sinclair ZX Spectrums? T'wud appear so !

Adola.

irishlad06
1st Apr 2020, 04:12
Well here we are in a crisis but in a boom time for Airfreight it would seem. You'd expect that Man with it's Worldwide reputation as being Britains Number 3 airport, to be participating in this bonanza and a least generating some revenue and employment for it's beleagured workforce and the agencies on the airport. So let's see, what has been the result so far?

We are always hearing that we don't get freight traffic because we have so much underbelly capacity. Well, now we have zero, so where is all the freight going ?

Oh yes, we don't have the handling capacity anymore as we have no Hi-Lo's available at this International Giant jet port!

What a shamefull reflection it is on it's ability to get freight quickly to areas of the North West of England, especially if it's of the Medical variety. It is doing the NW a great dis-service by the apparent inability to attract or un-willingness
to have adecent freight operation. Oh yes, lets pack out the MAG groups other facilities at EMA and Standstill and then we can let the stuff be trucked up to the NW.

All the eggs have been placed in one basket ( Pax) and the bottom has fallen out of that Carrier bag and will take a long long time to recover, IF IT EVER DOES ?

May as well demolish the Freight sheds at Man and turn them into a car Park ready for the return of Passengers which is their Meat and two Veg, meanwhile rent some cheap wharehousing in Trafford Park for the freight operation.

I'm dumbfounded by the lack of any initiative being shown at present. Are the management working from home on their Sinclair ZX Spectrums? T'wud appear so !

Adola.

There has been extra freight flights - all be it only a couple but Fed Ex have some nights had two B757’s in as well as the ATR. None of the other carriers have set up handling contracts or anything at MAN so it wouldn’t be just as easy as it sounds. Then you have the parking stand issue. There is very little space for an aircraft to sit on the ground not flying all day as none of the other airlines are flying either. There are still TCX A330’s taking up space as well as multiple BE aircraft. Aircraft are being stored in fairies apron as there isn’t the space.

SWBKCB
1st Apr 2020, 06:08

With a fully equipped cargo orientated airport just down the road at EMA, and another significant cargo hub in STN, I'm sure the groups resources are being fully exploited. That's the modern way!

sjacko20
1st Apr 2020, 07:54

Adola.

The NOTAM says the restrictions do not affect Cargo flights.

LBIA
1st Apr 2020, 08:41
Not everything is going to EMA, ​​as DSA seems to be handling freight very well still.

SWBKCB
1st Apr 2020, 08:50
Not everything is going to EMA, ​​as DSA seems to be handling freight very well still.

Yes - but the discussion here is about the MAG group of airports.

TURIN
1st Apr 2020, 09:04
Have the clocks gone forward again?
Please accept my apologies, I had a senior moment coupled with a brain fart!

Anyway,,,onwards.

Staff South is now completly closed to ALL staff. It is being prepared for use as a Covid19 test facility. Or so i'm told.

commit aviation
1st Apr 2020, 13:08
https://mediacentre.eastmidlandsairport.com/east-midlands-airport--a-gateway-for-essential-goods-in-unprecedented-times/

MAG is a group and this is EMA's opportunity to shine. If EMA has the capability to do freight more cost effectively than MAN then why should that be a bad thing? In the long run I would suggest that anything which benefits the group, benefits MAN in the long run.

In "normal" times (who remembers those??) you wouldn't expect Virgin to start operating longhaul flights from EMA to somewhere like the west coast of America. That's what MAN can do well as it has the catchment area to support these longhaul routes.
There is a paragraph near the end which says " Positioned only a four-hour truck drive to 90% of the population of England and Wales, EMA’s central location means vital supplies flown into the UK can be with those who need them most urgently very soon after landing, wherever they are in the country."
I don't work there but in my view EMA are set up to do this, appear to be doing a decent job of it and will benefit the whole group.

750XL
1st Apr 2020, 13:43
employment for it's beleagured workforce and the agencies on the airport

The majority of staff at MAN have been laid off or furloughed, there's no staff left to handle flights even if MAG wanted to.

Additionally, there's no parking space for anything.

Suzeman
1st Apr 2020, 19:56
May as well demolish the Freight sheds at Man

Of course, a large proportion of freight passing through the sheds in normal times is trucked in and out and never sees the inside of an aircraft at MAN. It gets consolidated and taken down south. There were even trucks going to near European airports some years ago - don't know whether that happens now?

TURIN
2nd Apr 2020, 01:38
The majority of staff at MAN have been laid off or furloughed, there's no staff left to handle flights even if MAG wanted to.

Additionally, there's no parking space for anything.
Not strictly accurate.
There is about ten free narrow body stands on T2 and another couple on T3.
Quite a few engineers and such still about.

pwalhx
2nd Apr 2020, 08:15
A fair amount of freight does leave Manchester in the belly of passenger aircraft (although not currently of course), you are right thought about consolidation of cargo down south.

There are trailer links to European airportd still, am currntly expecting a shipment from South Africa due on a KLM truck from Amsterdam.

NorvernSuvna
2nd Apr 2020, 09:13
Over the past few months, I have had freight arrive on trucks from LHR, STN, AMS, EMA ( particularly Lufthansa ) and LUX , so although the shipments don't arrive directly from aircraft, the MAN handling and customs clearance agents and onward delivery truckers obtain the revenue....

Mr Mac
8th Apr 2020, 15:10
What was the large 4 engine transport with T tail that landed around 16.10 . I only glimpsed it from 15 miles away from behind. Looked too large for C17, could it be Russian or US, not on flight radar before you ask.
Kind regards
Mr Mac

750XL
8th Apr 2020, 15:16
RAF C17, touch n goes

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1378x800/image_81642378ed3fe15217b6b14edf4e829d11ac761e.png

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=519070098998581

Mr Mac
8th Apr 2020, 16:40
750XL
Thank you for the confirmation. I got binoculars on it on later passes so ID C17 as you say. Probably breaks the boredom up in the tower, and approach at Manchester currently. It did not show up on Flight radar when I checked though.

Kind regards
Mr Mac

750XL
8th Apr 2020, 17:49
750XL
Thank you for the confirmation. I got binoculars on it on later passes so ID C17 as you say. Probably breaks the boredom up in the tower, and approach at Manchester currently. It did not show up on Flight radar when I checked though.

Kind regards
Mr Mac

https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/

This website will show you anything that FlightRadar doesn't. Press the 'U' at the top to filter military only stuff. Quite interesting

rustyflyer
8th Apr 2020, 18:48
What was the large 4 engine transport with T tail that landed around 16.10 . I only glimpsed it from 15 miles away from behind. Looked too large for C17, could it be Russian or US, not on flight radar before you ask.
Kind regards
Mr Mac
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/img_2834_2__10cd010b7e2d656b0b62ecbdd0e6ab4407f7159f.jpg
I was curious too! Russ

cuthere
8th Apr 2020, 20:45
It’s a C17 Globemaster from RAF Brize Norton. Training mission. There’s one doing circuits at Brize as I type.

rustyflyer
9th Apr 2020, 07:58
RAF C17, touch n goes

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1378x800/image_81642378ed3fe15217b6b14edf4e829d11ac761e.png

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=519070098998581
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1280x760/c17track_ee7a88e2faae7d0ed31f9ed11f1986614915622a.png
And a few more!
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/img_2836_2__c13864de81944d6c28982f006bdb422f1035f96b.jpg
Landing on the neighbours roof!

Suzeman
21st Apr 2020, 10:43
I've read elsewhere that the airfield will now only be open from 0700 - 2100 (I assume local) UFN. Can't see a NOTAM yet though

Previously the passenger terminal was only open for limited hours. but the runway was H24 for emergencies, freighters etc

Sad times for all

Scottie Dog
21st Apr 2020, 11:02
This NOTAM was dated yesterday and so should be pretty accurate:

Q) EGTT/QFAAH/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5321N00217W005
B) FROM: 20/04/20 05:00C) TO: 20/05/31 23:59E) COVID 19 INFORMATION: AD WILL ONLY BE OPERATIONAL FOR SCHEDULED
INBOUND FLIGHTS BTN 0500-1500 DAILY AND SCHEDULED DEPARTING FLIGHTS
BTN 0700-1500 DAILY. THIS RESTRICTION DOES NOT AFFECT THE FOLLOWING
FLIGHTS:
2. CARGO FLIGHTS
3. TECHNICAL LANDING
4. SPECIAL FLIGHTS/REPATRIATION/HUMANITARIAN
5. PRIVATE FLIGHTS
EXCEPT ACFT IN EMERGENCY THE EXEMPTED FLIGHTS ARE TO SEEK
PRE-AUTHORISATION (PPR) FROM THE AD OPERATOR TEL +44 (0)161 489
3331. AIR OPERATORS ARE ABLE TO FILE EGCC AS AN ALTERNATE
AERODROME. AIR OPERATORS MUST ENSURE GROUND HANDLING SUPPORT IS AVBL
AT ALL TIMES.
FUEL AVBL 05:00-21:00.

AndrewH52
21st Apr 2020, 15:30
Fire cover does remain available though H24, albeit reduced to RFFS Cat 7

Adola69
22nd Apr 2020, 15:52
You have to admire the audacity and downright obscure reasoning, when they say that they can accept CARGO Flights ?

Really? Since when? We don't have the kit to offload Cargo flights, unless it's out of rear load aircraft type, IL-76, C-17etc and they appear to be sent down the road to EMA, or a small twin!
Stop playing at being an airport for the time being MAN, it's pathetic. You've done nothing whatsoever to help out the

"Northern Powerhouse" in it's requirement for medical kit, food stuffs, and general freight that would have normally been carried in under belly loads.

What a joke.

I wonder if anyone at MA have learnt any salutory lessons out of all this, and that is, if you run a succesful enterprise you must have Diversity,
someting that MAN plainly has not got at all anymore? It is the worst performing airport out of the groups 3.

Adola.

spannersatcx
22nd Apr 2020, 17:47
Pax aircraft are operating just carrying cargo, so shouldn't be a problem to offload a 787/350 or whatever.

Rutan16
22nd Apr 2020, 17:55
I think MAG group are satisfied with the cargo operations at Stansted and East Midlands at the moment.

As for the lack of handling equipment I think you need to point fingers elsewhere “handlers” oh and Central Government dire management of the crisis compared to the neighbours and our friends in the EU

Queue - Dublin three flights a day to and from Beijing carrying PPE for the last 3 weeks .
France deploying an Antonov 124 daily .
EVEN Poland using the Mriya and LOT 787s !
UK official response to date an A400 to and from Istanbul with civil officials ignoring loadmasters and aircraft weights - Should have been a C17 Half the load left behind and one 777 from BA under duress after halting Chinese flights weeks before many

A bit of perspective please

Oh and Qatar are schedule to operate an extra A359 pure cargo flight tomorrow so things may be about to change just a little,

roverman
22nd Apr 2020, 20:06
You have to admire the audacity and downright obscure reasoning, when they say that they can accept CARGO Flights ?

Really? Since when? We don't have the kit to offload Cargo flights, unless it's out of rear load aircraft type, IL-76, C-17etc and they appear to be sent down the road to EMA, or a small twin!
Stop playing at being an airport for the time being MAN, it's pathetic. You've done nothing whatsoever to help out the

"Northern Powerhouse" in it's requirement for medical kit, food stuffs, and general freight that would have normally been carried in under belly loads.

What a joke.

I wonder if anyone at MA have learnt any salutory lessons out of all this, and that is, if you run a succesful enterprise you must have Diversity,
someting that MAN plainly has not got at all anymore? It is the worst performing airport out of the groups 3.

Adola.

.. if you say so, but historically it makes the biggest share of the profits!

750XL
22nd Apr 2020, 20:25
Do you have any idea of how much ground handling equipment costs, to offload these said dedicated freighter aircraft (ie 747F nose loading). What company in their right mind is going to pay for this equipment to lay idle for months (or years) on end, on the odd chance someone wants to nip in with a bit of freight and pay a few grand for the privilege - when the equipment has cost hundreds of grand?

Rutan16
23rd Apr 2020, 07:16
Do you have any idea of how much ground handling equipment costs, to offload these said dedicated freighter aircraft (ie 747F nose loading). What company in their right mind is going to pay for this equipment to lay idle for months (or years) on end, on the odd chance someone wants to nip in with a bit of freight and pay a few grand for the privilege - when the equipment has cost hundreds of grand?

Did have one on station in the dim and distant past in fact one of the first in the UK was here in the seventies and used by Lufthansa and World 747F models from time to time

That said nose loading isn’t that important indeed is rather avoided much of the time anyway.

Right now though MAG Group really has the more appropriate distribution point a little further east and in a region that has pretty much developed (post mining and steel production) as the national centre of logistics and with the primary domestic food production area on its doorstep.

Though using the same haggered argument as that of the snow ploughs doesn’t’ necessarily wash with a scissor lifter at a normally 30 million 20 + long haul destination and 100,000 tonne airport that’s for sure.

Doncaster seem to have the equipment and indeed the desire to promote freight including the giants and that Includes the obscure and unique IL62 freighter.

SWBKCB
23rd Apr 2020, 07:55
Did have one on station in the dim and distant past in fact one of the first in the UK was here in the seventies and used by Lufthansa and World 747F models from time to time

Isn't the kit for nose loading a 747F the same as that needed for any widebodied main deck freighter, and MAN has handled those in the recent past (LH MD-11/777F's for instance). Anyway, agree that with STN and EMA, MAG isn't short of dedicated freight facilities.

Navpi
23rd Apr 2020, 09:27
You send medical equipment to the nearest location airport where it is needed, not an airport 100 or even 230 miles away ?

Would that not seem to be a decision based on "commercial consideration" rather than medical need ?

Absolutely clueless.

Rutan16
23rd Apr 2020, 10:02
You send medical equipment to the nearest location airport where it is needed, not an airport 100 or even 230 miles away ?

Would that not seem to be a decision based on "commercial consideration" rather than medical need ?

Absolutely clueless.

No you send freight (any bulk freight) to dedicated distribution centres sort and transfer to vehicles on geographical and timed basis - Thats the most effective and efficient method period stop.

The NHS is also not a free for all when it comes to supplies - All need to be accounted for against NHS England , Scotland, Wales , Northern Ireland, individual Trusts, Regional Health Authorities, Ambulance service etc and chittied and ‘Paid for” and all those agencies need to make appropriate requisitions

The above distribution methodology ensures the paper trails exist (BTW they are far from perfect but still better than none at all)

Navpi
23rd Apr 2020, 18:26
No you send freight (any bulk freight) to dedicated distribution centres sort and transfer to vehicles on geographical and timed basis - Thats the most effective and efficient method period stop.

The NHS is also not a free for all when it comes to supplies - All need to be accounted for against NHS England , Scotland, Wales , Northern Ireland, individual Trusts, Regional Health Authorities, Ambulance service etc and chittied and ‘Paid for” and all those agencies need to make appropriate requisitions

The above distribution methodology ensures the paper trails exist (BTW they are far from perfect but still better than none at all)

Ah sorry I clearly didn't realise that Manchester was such a backwater that it was unable to deliver a sufficient level of receipt and distribution despite handling 100,000 tonnes of freight a year.

Rutan16
23rd Apr 2020, 20:05
Suggest you consider bringing this up with Supply Chain Co-ordination Limited - The NHS contractor and their decisions on points of entry and the distribution networks .

I am not criticising Manchester Airports cargo ( belly and mostly roaded in and out) capacity under normal circumstances.

HKGBOY
27th Apr 2020, 12:27
In the absence of much MAN discussion :- Think I have seen 3 x B773 of Kuwait Airways into MAN this morning. Purely out of interest, were these Government repat flights or bringing in medical supplies?

irishlad06
27th Apr 2020, 12:35
In the absence of much MAN discussion :- Think I have seen 3 x B773 of Kuwait Airways into MAN this morning. Purely out of interest, were these Government repat flights or bringing in medical supplies?

they have all arrived empty and are taking Kuwait 🇰🇼 nationals back to KWI. There is 3 planned for today, tomorrow and Wednesday. 9 repat flights in total back to KWI.

sinbad73
28th Apr 2020, 12:23
KU1320 has also just left GLA enroute to KWI. Are there really that amount of Kuwaiti nationals in the UK?

boredintheairport
28th Apr 2020, 12:53
KU1320 has also just left GLA enroute to KWI. Are there really that amount of Kuwaiti nationals in the UK?

The answer is clearly 'yes' because the flights exist with that number of seats. If we roughly assume that there are 400 seats on a 773, then four 773 (three to Manchester, one to Glasgow) is roughly 1600 seats. I'm going to presume that some of those seats are taken out for social distancing to make it perhaps around 1200 seats. Maybe 300 or 400 students across universities in northern England and Scotland, then the remaining 900 or so seats divided by an arbitrary household size of 4 leaves around 225 household. Not that many spread across northern England and Scotland, really. Kuwaiti government may have sold some of the seats to other Gulf countries as well.

JerseyAero
28th Apr 2020, 16:55
We have now had 6 x B773 flights into MAN operating repatriation services back to Kuwait, 3 more today following the 3 yesterday. As mentioned above I understand that there are flights planned for tomorrow (29th) also.

Suzeman
28th Apr 2020, 18:45
Here's some info

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1665211/middle-east

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1665696/middle-east

A KU A330 into DUB as well this morning, plus Jazeera flights into LGW using A320N yesterday and today

Navpi
28th Apr 2020, 21:37
Whilst news of British Airways redundancies is a seismic blow to aviation in the capital BA can at least count on the support of one notable member at Westminster, Mr Mike Kane MP.

His twitter feed became wash with indignation and rightfully so given the large number of employees who are about to move from "furlough" to "flung out".

Former employees of Thomas Cook based at Manchester who sadly lost their jobs last year might well be wondering where the protests of indignation from their local MP were when there plight was all over the national press.

Likewise Manchester based Flybe employees who suffered a similar fate when the domestic hub disintegrated are now stacking shelves at Aldi, they too suffered a similar level of deafening silence.

If only the local MP had been a wee bit more vocal in both cases.

Come to think of it who is the local MP for the Manchester Airport constituency ?

"Step forward Mike"

OzzyOzBorn
29th Apr 2020, 02:34
Further to this, has he made any comments in support of VIRGIN ATLANTIC which operates the largest remaining programme of Transatlantic scheduled flights from the airport located in his constituency?

chrism20
29th Apr 2020, 07:30
Whilst news of British Airways redundancies is a seismic blow to aviation in the capital BA can at least count on the support of one notable member at Westminster, Mr Mike Kane MP.

His twitter feed became wash with indignation and rightfully so given the large number of employees who are about to move from "furlough" to "flung out".

Former employees of Thomas Cook based at Manchester who sadly lost their jobs last year might well be wondering where the protests of indignation from their local MP were when there plight was all over the national press.

Likewise Manchester based Flybe employees who suffered a similar fate when the domestic hub disintegrated are now stacking shelves at Aldi, they too suffered a similar level of deafening silence.

If only the local MP had been a wee bit more vocal in both cases.

Come to think of it who is the local MP for the Manchester Airport constituency ?

"Step forward Mike"

If I'm not mistaken the constituency that the airport falls into is Wythenshawe & Sale East.

The MP is Mike Kane

MANFOD
29th Apr 2020, 08:02
I wonder how many of his constituents worked at MAN with the airlines, (including TCX & flybe), handlers and numerous other companies who now find themselves on furlough or without a job. Perhaps his lack of public support up to now will be in their minds when next time they vote?

RoyHudd
29th Apr 2020, 09:36
Sadly, Mike Kane's constituency is rock-solid Labour. Always has been.

Not a political comment, just noting that the unworthy Kane will likely be re-elected for as long as he remains in that party.

JerseyAero
29th Apr 2020, 09:50
Just going back to the discussion regarding dedicated cargo flights (or lack thereof) at MAN, this was posted on an AirportNewsUK twitter feed yesterday :

'TheHutGroup will begin a new cargo airline to be based at Manairport from October. Will work with SingaporeAir to set up the venture. Absolutely huge news and a welcome addition of pure cargo to MAN, a sector that's been in decline for a while'.

Hope they find some ground equipment to unload these freighters if the service commences !

Rutan16
29th Apr 2020, 10:06
Constituents need to face Kane down on his views re the local airport the major employer and economical drivers for South Manchester over those of Heathrow and BA at every opportunity.

There are plenty including regular surgeries and similar meetings.

That said R3 is pretty much dead in the water for some considerable time.

The fact he is supposedly a socialist and in probably the safest seat in the land yet cheer leads a commercial and in many ways competing business 180 miles away really needs addressing.

Pity I haven’t lived in the ward for twenty years so haven’t got local voice these days.

euromanxdude
29th Apr 2020, 10:39
Very disappointed that the MP is quick enough to share his concerns about job losses in another part of the country...but last month and since hasn’t bothered to acknowledge his constituents directly & indirectly affected by the loss of Flybe.

Navpi
30th Apr 2020, 06:04
Personally if Mr Kane does feel obliged to comment on aviation matters it might be more prudent to cover those which effect his own constituency.

AndrewH52
30th Apr 2020, 07:17
He’s the Shadow Minister for Transport - do you expect him to remain silent on the matter?

Scottie Dog
30th Apr 2020, 07:27
The point being raised Andrew is his silence with regards to Virgin Atlantic and Flybe plus Thomas Cook.
These are all airlines that provide, or provided, employment to his constituents in Wythenshawe. Why did he not publically support them?

AndrewH52
30th Apr 2020, 07:52
He’s on record in Hansard speaking about the negative impact of those events on Manchester Airport, the customers and employees and the wider Northern economy.

A quick search of the MEN website will bring up stories quoting him on the horrendous impacts of the Thomas Cook on his constituents who worked for the airline and tour operator.

Here’s one example from Hansard. I am not one for defending MPs but I couldn’t and wouldn’t do their job as quite frankly there’s always one part of their constituency that will throw brickbats at them at any opportunity, and others happy to jump on the bandwagon without checking the facts. Mike Kane (Wythenshawe and Sale East) (Lab) (https://hansard.parliament.uk/search/MemberContributions?house=Commons&memberId=4316)The Minister went to school a stone’s throw from Manchester airport in my constituency, but is the voice of northern England being heard? After the Thomas Cook debacle, 2.8 million passengers were taken out of capacity. If this Flybe collapse happens, that will affect 1.8 million passengers out of Manchester airport. I know that people are worried about climate change, but APD was a tax devised by London civil servants in Whitehall cooling towers that crippled the growth of regional airports throughout our country, and we are paying the price for that.

SWBKCB
30th Apr 2020, 08:03
Ah yes, but what did he say on Twitter, you know, the real world?

Scottie Dog
30th Apr 2020, 08:48
Thank you Andrew for that clarification.

Navpi
30th Apr 2020, 12:33
He’s on record in Hansard speaking about the negative impact of those events on Manchester Airport, the customers and employees and the wider Northern economy.

A quick search of the MEN website will bring up stories quoting him on the horrendous impacts of the Thomas Cook on his constituents who worked for the airline and tour operator.

Here’s one example from Hansard. I am not one for defending MPs but I couldn’t and wouldn’t do their job as quite frankly there’s always one part of their constituency that will throw brickbats at them at any opportunity, and others happy to jump on the bandwagon without checking the facts.Mike Kane (Wythenshawe and Sale East) (Lab) (https://hansard.parliament.uk/search/MemberContributions?house=Commons&memberId=4316)The Minister went to school a stone’s throw from Manchester airport in my constituency, but is the voice of northern England being heard? After the Thomas Cook debacle, 2.8 million passengers were taken out of capacity. If this Flybe collapse happens, that will affect 1.8 million passengers out of Manchester airport. I know that people are worried about climate change, but APD was a tax devised by London civil servants in Whitehall cooling towers that crippled the growth of regional airports throughout our country, and we are paying the price for that.

Ah yes' oh course....... "The Hansard Evening News"
A best seller in terms of news media !

AndrewH52
30th Apr 2020, 12:50
Give it a rest Bagso. Just because something doesn’t appear in the Bagso/Navpi Daily Bugle doesn’t mean it’s not happened or been said / reported.

Navpi
30th Apr 2020, 13:25
Give it a rest Bagso. Just because something doesn’t appear in the Bagso/Navpi Daily Bugle doesn’t mean it’s not happened or been said / reported.

Now, now no need to be tetchy.

commit aviation
30th Apr 2020, 14:18
What happened recently in the aviation industry? I just found an interesting article with the April highlights: allthingsontimeperformance.com/aviation-wrap-up-april-2020/ What do u think?

Not sure which of the topics you wanted thoughts on so I will offer some on all three.

On a coordinated restart: nice idea but impractical as different nations are at different phases of the pandemic, not to mention governments with vastly different approaches to managing it. You also have Spain and Greece talking about opening resorts this summer with social distancing measures in place whilst Argentina bans flights until 1st September.

Delta have publicly expressed an opinion that it will be several years until aviation returns to 2019 levels. They along with BA / LH are in the "long recovery period" camp whilst Wizz Air are planning on being back to capacity by the end of this year with new aircraft and their Abu Dhabi offshoot still planned to launch. Then there is the different positions being taken by different countries that I mentioned earlier. No clear picture yet and still too early to foretell the outcome but if governments go ahead with 14 day quarantine periods for arriving passengers as has been suggested by some (UK included) then any hope of a return for the overseas holiday industry this summer would be dead. I suspect it is already due to recessionary impacts on peoples spending alongside the nervousness people will understandably feel initially about travel particularly among higher risk groups.

Seats and fares: the middle seat issue is madness. Average seat is around 18 inches wide so leaving it empty doesn't achieve the 2m social distancing requirements (if they remain.) As 2m is around 78 inches you would only be able to occupy the window seats on a narrow body aircraft. Plus seat pitch at 33 or 34 inches (I think?) you would need to occupy every third row. OK - family groups would reduce this requirement and increase the loads a little but it is reasonable to assume this approach wouldn't be financially sustainable.
Without a significant scaling back of social distancing, I don't see this being practical either.

Purely my thoughts and I would be happy (indeed hoping) to be proved wrong!

Suzeman
30th Apr 2020, 18:32
Bring back Alf Morris I say

For younger readers, he was the Wythenshawe MP from 1964 -1997 and was always very supportive of the opportunities it gave his constituents and the positive economic impact of having the airport on his doorstep. He was however concerned to minimise the environmental impact of the airport and was very interested in the airport providing adequate provision for the disabled.

Particularly in the 1990s, the airport had almost universal support from local and regional MPs across the parties, although some were more enthusiastic than others of course. That was in the days when all lobbying efforts were focused on Manchester as there wasn't such a beast as MAG where the needs of individual airports would be diluted to arrive at a common position.

Scottie Dog
30th Apr 2020, 18:44
....and Gordon Sweetapple as airport director. A man who was always so approachable.

My apologies for any thread drift.

Navpi
30th Apr 2020, 18:56
I would echo the sentiments re Alf Morris.
A quiet revolutionary who put Manchester Airport on the map.
Certainly more vocal than our current incumbent !

Suzeman
30th Apr 2020, 19:26
....and Gordon Sweetapple as airport director. A man who was always so approachable.

My apologies for any thread drift.

Not forgetting the remarkable powers of persuasion of Sir Gil Thompson who succeeded GJS in 1981 and drove the airport forward until he left in 1993...Watching and listening to him "work the floor" at meetings with politicians and business people on one level and with the public on another level was a joy to behold. And he knew every single member of the MA staff by name too.

mmeteesside
1st May 2020, 12:46
Surprised there's been no mention of the launch of an air cargo operation by Manchester based "The Hut Group" - with two based aircraft from October and a charter operation before that from Singapore Airlines Cargo serving THG distribution centres in USA and Asia. They've been utilising chartered cargo aircraft across Asia already apparently

zfw
1st May 2020, 14:29
GVAST just positioned in from LGW unusual manouevre after not moving since the 24th March, now 4 of the 7 Virgin 747s at MAN.

Suzeman
1st May 2020, 14:49
Surprised there's been no mention of the launch of an air cargo operation by Manchester based "The Hut Group" - with two based aircraft from October and a charter operation before that from Singapore Airlines Cargo serving THG distribution centres in USA and Asia. They've been utilising chartered cargo aircraft across Asia already apparently

I suspect that is because the news was only officially released yesterday and is now starting to hit the media...

https://www.thg.com/blog/2020/04/30/thg-agrees-partnership-with-singapore-airlines-to-charter-100-flights-and-confirms-plans-to-launch-thg-air/

Not entirely clear what type of aircraft and routes that THG Air will fly and whether this will be a stand alone airline or one run in conjunction with someone else, possibly SQ? But I assume it will mean new jobs and business to the Airport in the medium term and let's face it any positive story is a bonus at present.

I expect Adola 69 will be along shortly with some comments . :)

JerseyAero
1st May 2020, 14:55

See message #3914 !

MANFOD
1st May 2020, 15:20
Just to second the comments by Suzeman and others about Alf Morris, Gordon Sweetapple and Sir Gil.
Some of us are old enough to remember them all and the contribution they made in their own way to the promotion and development of Manchester Airport.

The remark about Sir Gil being brilliant at 'working the floor' is so apt, as he was with the personal touch. I didn't work at the airport but took a keen interest, and on one occasion I wrote to him on some issue (possibly to do with diversions). Imagine my surprise a couple of days later when I walked in from work and the wife telling me there's a Gil Thompson on the phone for you. I imagine he would have been pleased with how the airport had continue to grow until this crisis, particularly on international long haul routes.

TURIN
1st May 2020, 21:17

There's a complete thread on it here....

https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/632088-thg-air.html

Navpi
2nd May 2020, 08:13
THG

At least its not being diverted to EMA.

Rutan16
2nd May 2020, 09:19
THG

At least its not being diverted to EMA.

We hope that’s the case !

chaps1954
2nd May 2020, 09:33
Had a tweet today to say Air France restart 7th May 3 weekly and from 22nd daily

planedrive
2nd May 2020, 14:07
easyJet launching MAN-ABZ daily from 31st August.

euromanxdude
2nd May 2020, 14:30

comes up as world connections? So that in partnership with loganair?

GrahamK
2nd May 2020, 14:43
comes up as world connections? So that in partnership with loganair?

Nope, definitely easyJet operating. Not on sale yet

euromanxdude
2nd May 2020, 14:49
Nope, definitely easyJet operating. Not on sale yet

ahh gotcha. Know what frequency will be?

pwalhx
2nd May 2020, 15:42
Daily as per attached link
https://airportrumours.********.com/2020/05/easyjet-adds-aberdeen.html
Starting August 31st, Easyjet will start a daily Manchester to Aberdeen Service.

U2311 MAN 0720 ABZ 0840 Mon, Tue, Fri, Sat.
U2311 MAN 1505 ABZ 1625 Wed, Thu
U2311 MAN 1840 ABZ 2000 Sun

U2312 ABZ 0910 MAN 1025 Mon, Tue, Fri, Sat
U2312 ABZ 1655 MAN 1810 Wed, Thu
U2313 ABZ 2030 MAN 2145 Sun

A319/320 used.

SWBKCB
3rd May 2020, 14:01
The measures, says Charlie Cornish, Group CEO of Manchester Airports Group, have been drawn up following consultation with medical experts and in the absence of official guidance from the government...
...With airport leaders now understood to be frustrated with the waiting, they have taken the steps ahead of further international guidelines they expect to be introduced in the coming weeks.
Airport bosses say the full details are still being hammered out, but the changes, to be launched this week, mean:

All airport staff will wear gloves and face masks
All passengers will be required to wear gloves and face coverings. Travellers are expected to bring their own and they can include scarves or other makeshift measures. The airport will provide protective equipment for those without. As passenger numbers rise they will be expected to provide their own.
Trialling some technologies such as temperature measurement

MEN - Passengers and staff at Manchester Airport will have to wear gloves and cover faces (https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-masks-gloves-temperature-18191161)

The96er
3rd May 2020, 14:13
"Passengers could also be asked to make a 'health declaration' to confirm they are asymptomatic before entering the terminal" - How are you supposed to know if you're asymptomatic ??.

HKGBOY
3rd May 2020, 14:40
Bit of a change of tack from MAG then being pro-active. I travelled through MAN several times in March and queried the evident lack of any hand sanitiser stations anywhere in the airport for passengers, even sending them pics of the vast sanitiser stations all around HKG Airport. Their reply was they didn't have to provide as it wasn't in PHE guidelines to do so.

BluffOldSeaDog
3rd May 2020, 15:30
"Passengers could also be asked to make a 'health declaration' to confirm they are asymptomatic before entering the terminal" - How are you supposed to know if you're asymptomatic ??.

Doesn't it mean you're declaring you have no symptoms?

The96er
3rd May 2020, 15:36
Doesn't it mean you're declaring you have no symptoms?

And that proves what exactly. - "Yes, I'd like the check-in please for my flight to New York and I'm infected with Covid" !! - Not a likely scenario, so what's the point in having a declaration.

ATNotts
4th May 2020, 07:19
And that proves what exactly. - "Yes, I'd like the check-in please for my flight to New York and I'm infected with Covid" !! - Not a likely scenario, so what's the point in having a declaration.

About as likely as a terrorist declaring at check-in that they were carrying something for someone else, or didn't pack their own bag!!

BluffOldSeaDog
4th May 2020, 08:56
Exactly, more theatre

Mr Mac
4th May 2020, 09:45
ATNotts
I am still flying backwards and forwards to Germany on a reasonably regular basis (not as often as before) so staying longer either in UK or Germany. I have a resident permit for Germany which has allowed me to do this. The routing has been difficult, and I have used masks and gloves where required but all the terminals are extremely quiet be it London , Dublin, Copenhagen all of which I have used as there were no direct flights from Manchester. It will be interesting to see how things open up here, as they have started to do in Germany. With regards to testing I had that done last week in Manchester and was Covid free on Friday at least. Interesting experience and I understand why it takes so long as forms and to a degree diagrams are misleading. Indeed the forms have had a hand written on section Step 3B where Biohazard bag has been crossed out and sandwich bag written in and then another hand written note says to place this in the Bio bag. I hope they don,t get writer,s cramp, as doing that 100,000 per day is some set of lines ! You would have thought somebody would have vetted this before they printed it as the diagram for placing the sample in the test tube is also a little misleading. The culmination of this all occurs when you park up to do your samples and place them in the bags as instructed. If you have an issue you are to put the hazard warning lights on in your car and somebody will come over to help by either phone or sign , anyway it looked like Blackpool illuminations when I was there with so many hazards on !! We will have to see what Boris has to say later this week as to how the UK is going to come out of lock down.
Cheers
Mr Mac

ATNotts
4th May 2020, 10:11
Mr Mac
I keep reading that various European carriers are starting, or plan to restart services between UK airports and France and Germany, but since as you have pointed out the criteria for being able to travel are quite strict it kind of begs the question what is the point. Flights are going to be largely empty, and yields abysmal. As and when countries begin to loosen the rules, allowing non-essential business travel then it might make some sense, but from what I read on ARD teletext this morning, although there are glimmers of movement in the rules from some countries, mostly in eastern Europe there appears to be no real willingness by France or Germany to row back on cross border traffic at the moment, and the Germans really seem to have ruled that out until early June.

chaps1954
4th May 2020, 10:23
Eurowings have restarted MAN to DUS 3 weekly at present and Air France restart Paris as of Thursday

Mr A Tis
4th May 2020, 10:45
I can't see any prospect of normality this year. Apart from entry restrictions, there will be reduced disposable incomes, and also travel insurance issues for the elderly or medically compromised. The low cost model of pack 'em in herded at gates, pack 'em in on board and 25 minute turn arounds are surely a dead duck for the immediate future.
Even when flights restart, the demand is going to be unbelievably weak.
I can see easy, Ryanair & Jet2 operating some services from MAN but I don't think there is much hope for the likes of LPL & LBA. It wouldn't make sense for weak operations to be split over 3 nearby airports.
Long haul from MAN, aside from Middle East connections I can't see being viable- especially given the financial state of Virgin Atlantic.
Where this leaves the MAN TP project I don't know.
Aside from the shake out of airlines, surely the same applies to Airports ? I can see weak ops out of LGW,LHR, STN, BHX, MAN, EDI or GLA with freight at STN & EMA. How can the rest survive on one or two flights a day? Other than as parking places ?
Is this too pessimistic a view? I know we have to hope for the best & plan for the worst.
How many flights have LPL & LBA handled recently ? I may be wrong but even MAN only has roughly 5-6 regular flights a day in & 5-6 out. (KL,QR,PIA,BA,LM, RYR),
If the UK gets Corvid under control. Grant Shapps has said he is considering quarantine restrictions on inbounds & the fact he has also said he wouldn't book a holiday this summer- kind of nails the summer season.

Mr Mac
4th May 2020, 10:52
Chaps1954
That,s good to hear re Eurowings from Dusseldorf, but it would probably still be easier too use the other routes I mentioned from Munich, although journey times have been up to 9 hrs on some days and routes. I must say Shamrock have done a really good job, and SAS to keep their routes going. It would be really good if I could find a hairdresser which is a. open b. not with a massive waiting list in one of these terminals but not yet found one, and my PA inform me that when they open up in Germany it might be July before I could get my hair cut !! At this rate I may have to go for the tender ministrations of Mrs Mac, we will see what Boris has to say this week.

AT Notts
You are correct in that I can not say the flights are anywhere near full and I would presume there maybe some form of subsidisation maybe as I can honestly say I have been on a Gulfstream with more passengers than on many of these flights over the last 6 weeks. Social distancing is not an issue believe me when onboard but I will be very happy to see full cabins again, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Cheers
Mr Mac

back to Boeing
4th May 2020, 13:59
Mr Mac,

PM sent.

Mr Mac
4th May 2020, 14:21
Back to Boeing
Sent you a response back. I was just starting a video conference call so if there was anything else you need I will get back to you if you let me know. Basically be prepared for very quiet terminals and planes with little queuing and rudimentary service on board, though given what their industry is going through, and their career worries they have all done really well on all the carriers I have flown, and these are not my normal carriers. Take gloves and mask. As I have an apartment in Munich I usually just have laptop and paperwork, which I take onboard, so travel very light. Not much else I can really say, but let me know how you find KLM and Amsterdam. Hopefully Lufthansa will start MAN flights soon, so will not have to do Wells Fargo trip around Europe. Travel safe.
Kind regards
Mr Mac

BACsuperVC10
5th May 2020, 10:59
I can't see any prospect of normality this year. Apart from entry restrictions, there will be reduced disposable incomes, and also travel insurance issues for the elderly or medically compromised. The low cost model of pack 'em in herded at gates, pack 'em in on board and 25 minute turn arounds are surely a dead duck for the immediate future.
Even when flights restart, the demand is going to be unbelievably weak.
I can see easy, Ryanair & Jet2 operating some services from MAN but I don't think there is much hope for the likes of LPL & LBA. It wouldn't make sense for weak operations to be split over 3 nearby airports.
Long haul from MAN, aside from Middle East connections I can't see being viable- especially given the financial state of Virgin Atlantic.
Where this leaves the MAN TP project I don't know.
Aside from the shake out of airlines, surely the same applies to Airports ? I can see weak ops out of LGW,LHR, STN, BHX, MAN, EDI or GLA with freight at STN & EMA. How can the rest survive on one or two flights a day? Other than as parking places ?
Is this too pessimistic a view? I know we have to hope for the best & plan for the worst.
How many flights have LPL & LBA handled recently ? I may be wrong but even MAN only has roughly 5-6 regular flights a day in & 5-6 out. (KL,QR,PIA,BA,LM, RYR),
If the UK gets Corvid under control. Grant Shapps has said he is considering quarantine restrictions on inbounds & the fact he has also said he wouldn't book a holiday this summer- kind of nails the summer season.

Liverpool has been 2 flights a day to IOM with flights to Norway on Friday, Sunday and Monday generally. Wizz Air flights due to begin next week apparently.

RoyHudd
5th May 2020, 11:02
What are MAG group doing about the big building projects? I personally hope that they are completed in time for an upsurge in passenger traffic.

NorvernSuvna
5th May 2020, 11:05
looks like the below is an exmple of how not to do it........ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-52539141 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-52539141)

zfw
5th May 2020, 12:10
GVROS just on finals, 5 of the remaining 7 VS B747s now at MAN.

Mr A Tis
5th May 2020, 13:06
Interesting that the BBC reports Virgin is to quit Gatwick, following in the footsteps of BA. No mention of VS at MAN - so kind of good news for MAN (maybe?)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52542038

MANFOD
5th May 2020, 13:12
The Sky News report includes this:-

"The re-focusing of operations on Heathrow and Manchester airports is a major blow to Gatwick, which was notified last week that BA might never resume flying from London's second-busiest airport"

Scottie Dog
5th May 2020, 13:16
The Sky News report includes this:-

"The re-focusing of operations on Heathrow and Manchester airports is a major blow to Gatwick, which was notified last week that BA might never resume flying from London's second-busiest airport"

If this is correct, and if Virgin survive, then this is great news for Manchester and possibly the development of a proper long-haul base.

JerseyAero
5th May 2020, 13:22
GVROS just on finals, 5 of the remaining 7 VS B747s now at MAN.

Looking at the announcement by Virgin the B744's next operations will be leaving MAN to end their days in the desert (or some other airport for scrap).

zfw
5th May 2020, 13:31
Looking at the announcement by Virgin the B744's next operations will be leaving MAN to end their days in the desert (or some other airport for scrap).
Thats what it looks like next stop Marana, really cant see the B747 coming back unless there is some sort of major demand for MCO and BGI. ( Should have been on VS75 yesterday ).

Navpi
5th May 2020, 13:50
The company have already said the 747s are being retired?
its not speculation its in the sky news item.

AndrewH52
5th May 2020, 16:42
Being reported in today’s MEN that local councils are to lend MAG £260m to support it through the current crisis. Suspect it may be to plug the gap that the Council’s themselves will be facing due to the likelihood of no dividends being paid out by the airport for at least two years.

RealFish
5th May 2020, 17:03
Interesting that the BBC reports Virgin is to quit Gatwick, following in the footsteps of BA.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52542038

It doesn't actually say that, nor have BA.

Navpi
5th May 2020, 18:07
Re VIR

It was on the Sky news bulletins.
LGW to close with focus on LHR and MAN.

ib26uk
5th May 2020, 21:11

Never saw that route launch coming

Could we see a MAN-GLA & MAN-EDI to follow alongside the GLA-BHX and EDI-BHX routes?

OzzyOzBorn
5th May 2020, 22:57
GLA and EDI are relatively close to MAN with regular rail services offered directly from Manchester Airport Station using brand new Nova train-sets. EDI should be offered by air with Loganair as well. So probably not opportunities for EasyJet.

However, Newquay is a different matter. Long surface journey times. Attractive tourism destination. Links a remote region to hubbing opportunities at MAN. No worries for pax concerning different rules for crossing into another country. Route has previously supported multiple daily rotations by FlyBe using their larger Embraer Jets. NQY-MAN is currently unserved and looks tailor-made for an EasyJet operation. MAN-IOM would make sense for them too. And an increase to daily on MAN-JER (from 3 x Weekly ops) once some 'normality' returns to air travel.

flyerguy
6th May 2020, 12:01
GLA and EDI are relatively close to MAN with regular rail services offered directly from Manchester Airport Station using brand new Nova train-sets. EDI should be offered by air with Loganair as well. So probably not opportunities for EasyJet.

However, Newquay is a different matter. Long surface journey times. Attractive tourism destination. Links a remote region to hubbing opportunities at MAN. No worries for pax concerning different rules for crossing into another country. Route has previously supported multiple daily rotations by FlyBe using their larger Embraer Jets. NQY-MAN is currently unserved and looks tailor-made for an EasyJet operation. MAN-IOM would make sense for them too. And an increase to daily on MAN-JER (from 3 x Weekly ops) once some 'normality' returns to air travel.

On the MAN-IOM front, the island (during normal times) requires multiple daily frequency to the Island from Manchester, unless easyJet could do at least 2 flights a day I believe the island may favour the current plan which would be Loganair operating E145s on multiple daily rotations per day. It would be amazing to see easyJet on the route but I’m not sure if they would.

boredintheairport
6th May 2020, 12:46

You say 'hubbing' opportunity: easyJet doesn't really do hubbing. Even with their worldwide by easyJet, it's not a true hub and connection operation. I also do not believe Manchester is an airport where they offer that service.

If easyJet take up the route, I can't see there being connections beyond self-connecting on separate tickets with another carrier at Manchester. It may still be popular, though, with people wanting to go to the South West during summer.

116d
6th May 2020, 14:23
On the MAN-IOM front, the island (during normal times) requires multiple daily frequency to the Island from Manchester, unless easyJet could do at least 2 flights a day I believe the island may favour the current plan which would be Loganair operating E145s on multiple daily rotations per day. It would be amazing to see easyJet on the route but I’m not sure if they would.

If easyJet did launch MAN-IOM, I would be surprised if the frequencies are regular and consistent. They're not regular and consistent as it is on their LPL-IOM route as they operate at different times on different days.

MKY661
6th May 2020, 15:21
If easyJet did launch MAN-IOM, I would be surprised if the frequencies are regular and consistent. They're not regular and consistent as it is on their LPL-IOM route as they operate at different times on different days.

Didn't EZY apply for MAN-IOM slots last year but it was dropped last minute?

roverman
6th May 2020, 16:16
Being reported in today’s MEN that local councils are to lend MAG £260m to support it through the current crisis. Suspect it may be to plug the gap that the Council’s themselves will be facing due to the likelihood of no dividends being paid out by the airport for at least two years.

This is reassuring to hear. The local authority shareholders have recieved handsome dividends from the airport for a good number of years now without making any significant investments themselves. Being a shareholder is not a one-way transaction and I'm already anticipating my MCC council tax bill will rise next year!

lfc84
6th May 2020, 21:31
Didn't EZY apply for MAN-IOM slots last year but it was dropped last minute?
It was reported on twitter [i think by someone who works at MAN] that crew rosters had MAN-IOM on them. it was later reported that the rosters were subsequently changed to MAN-BHD for the times in question

flyerguy
6th May 2020, 21:50
It was reported on twitter [i think by someone who works at MAN] that crew rosters had MAN-IOM on them. it was later reported that the rosters were subsequently changed to MAN-BHD for the times in question

I know there’s been a fair few times that the MAN crew have been called out to do LPL-IOM off standby, so you never know - missed communication and assumptions might have been the culprit.

Dct_Mopas
7th May 2020, 06:36
I know there’s been a fair few times that the MAN crew have been called out to do LPL-IOM off standby, so you never know - missed communication and assumptions might have been the culprit.

Not in this instance, many crews had MAN-IOM on roster for a commencement of that service. But in the end the flights were pulled/never announced. It was all a bit strange, but certainly the intent from EZY was there.

flyerguy
7th May 2020, 14:36
Not in this instance, many crews had MAN-IOM on roster for a commencement of that service. But in the end the flights were pulled/never announced. It was all a bit strange, but certainly the intent from EZY was there.

I never trusted the MAN-IOM Flybe service and I along with others longed for an easyJet service so it would be good to see them!

gayrugbybloke
9th May 2020, 11:52
Are AF still expected to resume CDG-MAN this week?

Curious Pax
9th May 2020, 12:08
Are AF still expected to resume CDG-MAN this week?

The morning flight operated on Thursday, but that’s all so far.

chaps1954
9th May 2020, 12:37
It is 3 weekly initially

Navpi
10th May 2020, 11:21
One of the companies circling Virgin is Greybull.

Ill leave that there.....

USERNAME_
10th May 2020, 11:36
One of the companies circling Virgin is Greybull.

Ill leave that there.....

Unless Virgin get desperate enough to sell themselves for the minimal sum of €1, then I wouldnt pay much attention to Greybull.

Navpi
10th May 2020, 11:57
Apparently Hainan are starting a once weekly freight flight into Manchester this Friday.
( odd as Manchester is complacent with a capital C when it comes to handling freight).

Maybe the Manchester cargo manager at er' Stansted hasn't realised and is self isolating.

Nice to see Manchester bound frieght finally being handled at Manchester and not 200 miles away.

JerseyAero
10th May 2020, 12:37
[QUOTE=Navpi;10778250]Apparently Hainan are starting a once weekly freight flight into Manchester this Friday.
( odd as Manchester is complacent with a capital C when it comes to handling freight).

Could it just be operated by their normal pax aircraft A330/B787 loaded with cargo only and therefore won't cause management at MAN to be startled at the thought of having to unload a dedicated cargo aircraft ?

SWBKCB
10th May 2020, 13:27
I was wondering if it was just using the flight numbers, permisions etc of the scheduled service - might make life easier.

Management will be startled if they have to bulk unload the cargo off the main deck of a widebody - not a trivial exercise

SCFC1EP
10th May 2020, 14:06
I was wondering if it was just using the flight numbers, permisions etc of the scheduled service - might make life easier.

Management will be startled if they have to bulk unload the cargo off the main deck of a widebody - not a trivial exercise
Hainan Airliners don't operate cargo config aircraft so most likely will be A330/B787 passenger aircraft using cargo hold only

Rutan16
10th May 2020, 15:05
Taking anything up to 8 hours to handball off of passenger decks elsewhere !

HNA Specialist group freighter business is Suprana with a handful of 747 freightliners for the long haul and none of which have the hinged nose doors.

However this is almost certainly a “passenger” Airbus one would have thought- They have been flying a few into Heathrow however my ears on the ground tell me we might just be about to see a few of these move out in the rather soon as HAL are expected to reduce the availability of the rather special parking rates offered for the extended parking times required .

Navpi
10th May 2020, 15:26
May be wrong but I'm unsure Manchester can handle 747 freighters.

Stockportcounty
10th May 2020, 17:10
@HainanAirlines make a return to @manairport on Friday 15th May with a 1 weekly cargo only flight. HU7903 arrives from PEK at 1035, departs as HU7904 to HGH at 1235 and will use a B787-9.

Rutan16
10th May 2020, 17:57
May be wrong but I'm unsure Manchester can handle 747 freighters.

You are wrong !

Navpi
10th May 2020, 20:38
You are wrong !

Excellent when did the hi loader equipment comeback ?

ATNotts
11th May 2020, 09:52
Apparently Hainan are starting a once weekly freight flight into Manchester this Friday.

Maybe the Manchester cargo manager at er' Stansted hasn't realised and is self isolating.

Nice to see Manchester bound frieght finally being handled at Manchester and not 200 miles away.

Most "Manchester bound" freight (that is with "MAN" on the air waybill) will arrive in Manchester by truck, be that from London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris, Luxembourg or wherever else. Same for most airports in UK, EMA, for example is a major all cargo airport, but much traditional air freight, that is, not parcels shipped with integrators, will "land" at EMA (air waybill destination) by truck.

Ex Cargo Clown
12th May 2020, 11:25
Excellent when did the hi loader equipment comeback ?

They were there last time I checked.

It's a 787-9 anyway doing the freight run.

commit aviation
12th May 2020, 11:49
https://travelweekly.co.uk/articles/370969/virgin-atlantic-releases-re-shaped-summer-2021-schedule

Five points from Manchester will be served to Atlanta, Barbados, Los Angeles, Orlando and New York JFK.

mmeteesside
12th May 2020, 12:02
They were there last time I checked.

It's a 787-9 anyway doing the freight run.
Won't they need hi-loader's to load/unload the nightly 757F? (unsure about the ATR, assume that's bulk!)