PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus - 6

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

CabinCrewe
14th Apr 2012, 22:24
Fair enough you could make a passing observation on loads, but I doubt it is it the type of ramp work that tells you what each passenger paid and the profit EI makes on that. A common misconception. Good loads are a start and long it may it continue.

Jack1985
15th Apr 2012, 05:45
Fair enough you could make a passing observation on loads, but I doubt it is it the type of ramp work that tells you what each passenger paid and the profit EI makes on that. A common misconception. Good loads are a start and long it may it continue.

Couldn't agree with you more and certainly its going to be tough for EI with the Cork/Barcelona route this year with new competition from FR to Girona as well as Reus but it has been operational since 2004 at the frequency it remains so I don't see it changing anytime soon. And yes I have no access to Loads or Profit of any routes ex Cork unless I'm informed.

Mlinnie
24th Apr 2012, 16:04
Why has Aer Lingus not finalised their winter schedule out of Belfast yet ? Heathrow is up but what about the European routes ?

Skipness One Echo
27th Apr 2012, 00:51
There seems to have been an ex Iberia A319 that Aer Lingus took delivery of that has gone to Brussels Airlines. Did EI ever take EI-ETG or was it not taken up?

EI-ETG | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdee6174/6263872416/)

ryan2000
27th Apr 2012, 05:52
EI has dropped Gatwick Cork Saturday flights from next month.

gazcork
27th Apr 2012, 09:43
EI are useless when it comes to ork lgw. They removed any alternative except to fly LHR with the removal of the evening flight. So, so many colleagues/friends would now have to take a full day off to get to ork....the worst decision ever EI. No wonder they are dropping the route on Saturday.

PPRuNeUser0176
30th Apr 2012, 17:35
Aer Lingus board to discuss transfer of maintenance operations from Shannon to Dublin - RT News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0430/aer-lingus-shannon-dublin-maintenance.html)

DollarBill
30th Apr 2012, 20:14
EI-ETG was never an Aer Lingus aircraft. The 2 Aer Lingus A319's are -EPS and -EPR

Shamrock350
1st May 2012, 01:15
Etihad has purchased 2.9% of shares in Aer Lingus and both are in discussions about possible code sharing.

Etihad buys stake in Aer Lingus in possible link-up deal - The Irish Times - Tue, May 01, 2012 (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0501/1224315408744.html#.T581BnqeDMA.twitter)

VanBosh
1st May 2012, 06:54
I must admit I don't get the benefit of this for either Etihad or Aer Lingus. Etihad already fly DUB-AUH, so why split the revenue by getting Aer Lingus to fly it on code share? It can't be due to aircraft shortages as they have more scope than EI for new planes. It also references Etihad code sharing on EI flights but as their main business is moving pax thru AUH, I can't see why pax from Asia for example would want to connect in AUH & DUB to get to Europe for example. They already fly to the US also.

The only thing I can see is that they want to capture the Europe - US market but for this to be beneficial they would want more than 3%.

What am I missing or is this just a Pre cursor to something bigger?

brian_dromey
1st May 2012, 07:40
What you might be missing is that EI has unlimited access to the US, Europe and Canada, EY certainly does not and they have to share traffic rights with Emirates (both being UAE airlines). that was one of the reasons EY took a stake in Air Berlin, it gave them unlimited access to the German market which was previously constrained by bilateral agreements.

I think this could be good for the "DUB Hub" such as it is. Particularly the EI Regional routes to the UK, IOM, etc and onto the US and possibly Canada, should EI ever operate there.

pwalhx
1st May 2012, 07:43
It has been specualted that should MAG bid for Stansted they will sell 50% of the group to an outside investor. It has been said one interested parties is the investment arm of the Abu Dhabi government and it was then suggested if they were succesful EY would set up a Manchester base. One could there speculate in order to operate this they may see a shareholding in Aer Lingus (an EU based airline) has benefits?

Probably totally pie in the sky but who knows.

Bearcat
1st May 2012, 10:35
dont EIN have 5th freedom rights ex EGCC? If so this is where the action may really start to zone in on.

racedo
1st May 2012, 19:35
Wonder was it the stake of that great Irish Patriot (where is the total sarcasm button) Denis O'Brien that was bought.

ryanair1
2nd May 2012, 03:23
LOAD FACTORS ON DUB-BOH? ANY GOOD?

Airbus321-200
2nd May 2012, 09:00
Considering the route only started yesterday i'm guessing its hard to judge unless you are asking about forward bookings.

DollarBill
2nd May 2012, 14:02
The Open Skies agreement is EU-US, so any EU airline have the ability to start a route from any EU airport.

I agree that I see EY using EI as extra access to EU airports that they are currently restrained from entering. They already have AB in Central Europe, EI will cover the UK and onward to North America. These options could offer them more access (indirect) to the EU than EK will have. I am pretty confidant that we will see EI operating to Canada within the next 2 years.

While QR and EY are growing slower than EK they are still growing. Those 3 airlines may well be the heavyweights of the next 10 years as existing 'legacy' carriers struggle to adjust to a changing world aviation market.

EI-A330-300
3rd May 2012, 09:28
Aer Lingus narrows first quarter operating loss - RT News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0503/aer-lingus-narrows-first-quarter-operating-loss.html)

Jack1985
3rd May 2012, 12:18
A Strong Q1 Performance from Aer Lingus! They've also confirmed they would open UK domestic routes aswell as increase services to Ireland from London Heathrow if and when slots become available, Management has said they will open new routes to North America and Europe in 2013, Aer Lingus paticularly intrested in the US East Coast and Canada.

dublinaviator
3rd May 2012, 12:38
Before the rumour mill kicks into full force, it should be pointed out that these LHR plans aren't confirmed. Aer Lingus are currently bidding for the slots that BA were forced to release as part of the conditions set down by the European Commission on them acquiring bmi. But, Virgin Atlantic are bidding for them as well and have plans to develop a new domestic network in the UK. The slots in question are for specific routes, so Aer Lingus would be forced to use the slots for those routes and not to Ireland.

No doubt Etihad's thinking is that if Aer Lingus get the slots, they can code share with them on flights to Abu Dhabi from Heathrow, providing feed for their own hub. So assuming this all plays out, it'll be interesting to see what BA's reaction will be to Aer Lingus. Will they see it as a threat and end the Ireland-UK code share?

Jack1985
3rd May 2012, 12:40
LHR plans aren't confirmed.

Errm yes they are? :rolleyes: Aer Lingus has confirmed its intrest in the opening of such routes.

dublinaviator
3rd May 2012, 12:42
Errm yes they are? Aer Lingus has confirmed its intrest in the opening of such routes.

Did you even read my post? Its all conditional on them acquiring BMI's slots (which is the only reason Aer Lingus showed any interest in starting UK domestic routes), which Virgin are bidding for as well. Until we get confirmation that they've won them, nothings confirmed.

Jack1985
3rd May 2012, 12:44
Yes I did. Aer Lingus has confirmed its plans to launch Intra-UK routes subject to it winning slots - so the plans to launch such routes are confirmed.

dublinaviator
3rd May 2012, 12:50
Yes I did. Aer Lingus has confirmed its plans to launch Intra-UK routes subject to it winning slots - so the plans to launch such routes are confirmed.

I think you're being pedantic here, and tbh I don't what your problem is because we both seem to be in agreement. Aer Lingus' intentions are clearly confirmed, but the plans aren't because they're conditional on getting those slots. Until they get those slots, nothings confirmed. That's all I'm saying.

PPRuNeUser0176
3rd May 2012, 13:07
Management has said they will open new routes to North America and Europe in 2013, Aer Lingus paticularly intrested in the US East Coast and Canada.

I assume new long haul routes are dependent on weather Aer Lingus and United extend there agreement which is finished in March 2013.

Skipness One Echo
3rd May 2012, 14:05
Aer Lingus has confirmed its plans to launch Intra-UK routes subject to it winning slots
This is a little like basing aircraft at Gatwick (i.e. mental) unless BA are code-sharing.

EI-A330-300
3rd May 2012, 14:16
This is a little like basing aircraft at Gatwick (i.e. mental) unless BA are code-sharing.

And we all know that was a failure...

dublinaviator
3rd May 2012, 14:41

Well the slots are being released by BA to begin with, so the whole point is to add competition to compensate for BA taking over BMI.

I'd say this is part of a wider strategy by Etihad on gaining a greater foothold in Europe. The first part of this strategy was acquiring 30% of Air Berlin, allowing them to better compete against Emirates in the German market. By acquiring part of Aer Lingus and developing a code share deal with them, they can use them as a way of increasing its foothold in the UK to better compete against Emirates and Qatar Airways there.

So Aer Lingus launching these new intra-UK routes would just be part of that. If Etihad code share with Aer Lingus on those routes and its wider Ireland-UK network, it'll provide additional feed to their hub in Abu Dhabi.

johnrizzo2000
3rd May 2012, 15:25
Quote:
Management has said they will open new routes to North America and Europe in 2013, Aer Lingus paticularly intrested in the US East Coast and Canada.

Where did they say this? I read that they are encourages by the Atkantic routes and examining adding capacity.

That could mean adding frequency to ORD for example. Nowhere does it state they're looking at Canada/East Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1985
Errm yes they are? Aer Lingus has confirmed its intrest in the opening of such routes.

Confirming interest and confirming and are very different. EI has confirmed interest in bases across Europe amongst other things. It is all very conditional and quite unlikely

dublinaviator
3rd May 2012, 16:07
Where did they say this? I read that they are encourages by the Atkantic routes and examining adding capacity.

That could mean adding frequency to ORD for example. Nowhere does it state they're looking at Canada/East Coast.

It was featured on the RTÉ News at One today. They don't have the clip on their website yet, but you can watch the full programme on RTÉ Player here: RTÉ Player: Catch up with your favourite TV programmes online (http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1147842)

Just skip to 13:45.

johnrizzo2000
3rd May 2012, 17:56
It was featured on the RTÉ News at One today. They don't have the clip on
their website yet, but you can watch the full programme on RTÉ Player here: RTÉ Player: Catch up
with your favourite TV programmes online (http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1147842)

Just skip to 13:45.

Oh thanks! I was wondering where the info had come from, as there is nothing on their site. There may be more info tomorrow from the AGM.

I noticed that they also said that they were ''Interested'' in UK domestic routes, which is hardly a firm commitement.

Any new T/A route will require the IAD aircraft to return to Ireland, or frequency reductions on existing routes. Any new European routes, or UK domestic routes, would require additional 319/320's

EI-A330-300
3rd May 2012, 18:01
Any new T/A route will require the IAD aircraft to return to Ireland, or frequency reductions on existing routes. Any new European routes, or UK domestic routes, would require additional 319/320's

EI/UA contract is up in March 2013 and its unlightly to be extended. 2 more A319 will arrive.

johnrizzo2000
3rd May 2012, 18:41
EI/UA contract is up in March 2013 and its unlightly to be extended. 2 more
A319 will arrive.

The 2 319's are replacing 2 older 320's as there leases end. There is plenty of 319/320/321 aircraft around that EI could snap up. Theres even plenty parked around DUB!

Charlie Roy
3rd May 2012, 19:21
EI/UA contract is up in March 2013 and its unlikely to be extended.

And aren't United renting slots from Aer Lingus at Heathrow at the moment. Maybe Aer Lingus will also stop this agreement from March 2013, take the slots back and be able to launch a UK route from LHR, and then if they manage to buy new slots, they could start even more UK routes from LHR.

MCDU2
3rd May 2012, 21:26
Why the assumption that the IAD aircraft will provide the extra capacity to the East Coast and/or Canada? As far as I understand its making money so there is no reason to cancel the deal unless United/Continental pull the pin when the expiry comes up next March.

Getting hands on aircraft will not be a factor in what happens.

Skipness One Echo
3rd May 2012, 23:37
By acquiring part of Aer Lingus and developing a code share deal with them, they can use them as a way of increasing its foothold in the UK to better compete against Emirates and Qatar Airways there.

The whole point of succesful sandpit based airlines going East from the UK is a one stop service. DUB / GLA / NCL / MAN / BHX / LHR-DXB-XYZ.
Emirates would be much more competitive from these airports than say ABZ-LHR-AUH-XYZ. The whole selling point of these guys is avoid the LHR experience. I cannot see Aer Lingus making money on UK domestic, even Ryanair gave up. From LHR, you're looking at ABZ / GLA / EDI / MAN / NCL realistically and NCL and MAN only have LHR links to feed BA, they would be loss makers on point to point. Feeding other airlines at LHR killed BMI in one sense as well, so I struggle to see what the logic or strategy would be.

MarkD
4th May 2012, 03:25
In the event that EI start YYZ, I think they should look at a WestJet tie up which would be similar to their Jetblue arrangement. Avoidance of the grief of transiting through the US causes will offset the higher fares caused by the costs of serving one of the most expensive airports for landing fees in North America (because of the ground rents extracted by the government of Canada)

globetrotter79
4th May 2012, 08:20
aren't United renting slots from Aer Lingus at Heathrow at the moment

No, in fact I believe it is EI that are renting (in) slots from another carrier, mostly to cover the SNN-LHR service...and so would have something of an issue when/if that carrier decided to take the slots back for its own use.

Doing a 'land grab' on possible LHR slots coming out of the BD-BA merger is just about the only way EI is going to be able to retain flexibility to maintain/grow its LHR operations going forward without shelling out significant amounts of money to buy slots.

Remember they would only have to operate EDI/ABZ etc for 3 years (not an insignificant amount of time, I appreciate) before the slots become theirs to do with exactly as they wise (ie. use for other routes if desired).

EISNN
4th May 2012, 08:34
And aren't United renting slots from Aer Lingus at Heathrow at the moment.

In fact United (old Continental Airlines side) are indeed leasing two pairs of slots from EI and BA are leasing another pair. This was said by Dermot Mannion during the time of the SNN LHR bother. It's believed that BA may have another pair belonging to EI and there's another pair leased to another carrier ........ someone said Northwest before so I guess Delta now.

PPRuNeUser0176
4th May 2012, 10:46
April passenger up 2.3% to 890,000

Short Haul 732,000 up 0.7% - LF 71.4% up 1.4
Long Haul 79,000 up 8.2% - LF 75.6% up 5.1
EI regional 79,000 up 27.4%

SH capacity down 1.1% (BFS base reduction and LGW base)
LH capacity level on 2011

Charlie Roy
4th May 2012, 11:36
It's believed that BA may have another pair belonging to EI and there's another pair leased to another carrier

Indeed, it's a shame there is no clear list online of all Aer Lingus' slots at Heathrow: owned, leased to others, leased from others.

Mlinnie
8th May 2012, 21:43
Just wondering how well does Dublin-Agadir perform ? And why is it only operational during the winter ? I mean it's seems more of a sun destination. I think it should be operational summer only because it's bound to get higher loads (I mean during winter, sun seekers would go to Spain or Portugal but never Morocco) it's bound to do better during the summer

8th May 2012, 23:44
I'd expect Morocco to be a better Winter destination than Spain. Places like Barcelona or even Alicante can get pretty cold in the Winter, but you'd be unlucky if Morocco got all that cold.

Jack1985
9th May 2012, 12:36
Just wondering how well does Dublin-Agadir perform ? And why is it only operational during the winter ? I mean it's seems more of a sun destination. I think it should be operational summer only because it's bound to get higher loads (I mean during winter, sun seekers would go to Spain or Portugal but never Morocco) it's bound to do better during the summer

Incorrect. Morocco is much like the Canaries with year round sun, so why would Aer Lingus operate a service to Morocco in the Summer when they can operate much more lucrative summer routes? LF's must be good on the route its been operating for a few years now during the winter.

flyer55
12th May 2012, 17:58
Have flown Aerlingus a few times from LGW and wondered if they were planning any new routes from lgw ??

CabinCrewe
12th May 2012, 18:37
Think LHR will see any EI UK action rather than developments at LGW

j636
12th May 2012, 23:02
Did an Aer Lingus flight return to DUB this evening around 18.15, was waiting for an EI flight to LHR and I am almost certain that the aircraft that departed to VNO from the next gate returned minutes lather and passengers were taken back to the gate. Anyone know anything, runway was closed for a few minutes but there was no emergency services on standby.

DublinPole
12th May 2012, 23:09
That VNO flight departed DUB at 18.17 and landed in Dublin at 18.50 before departing Dublin again at 19.51. No idea if there was a plane change.

Airbus321-200
12th May 2012, 23:15
The VNO flight had a birdstrike on departure off 28. Returned about 25 mins later. The a/c was EI-DEK. VNO was swapped onto an A321.

Jamie2k9
12th May 2012, 23:24
The route was actualy dropped by Aer Lingus in October 2011 but sunway could not get a charter carrier to operate so they got EI to operate it and they buy seats and flights resumed in December. It had being 2 weekly until 2009 but was reduced to 1 weekly.

PPRuNeUser0176
13th May 2012, 00:09
Incident: Aer Lingus A320 at Dublin on May 12th 2012, bird strike (http://avherald.com/h?article=44f73caa&opt=0)

According to this it returned 12 mins after departure. The time quoted on Aer Lingus site is when it returned to gate.

Just a spotter
13th May 2012, 10:33
The ATC stream around the possible bird strike is available on the LiveATC.net archive for the day. All sounds very calm and professional from everyone involved (not that you'd expect anything other than that).

JAS

kasuga
14th May 2012, 08:43
rumour doing the rounds at BHX is that EI regional (Aer Arran) may take over the daily Dub/Bhx schedules from the mainline A320 soon ?? , anyone else hear anything ?

14th May 2012, 08:48
I'd be a small bit surprised.

Where the ATR wins out is where it can support several daily services when the A320 would only have one. So, it's an ideal fit for ORK-BHX, but for DUB-BHX, where there are already 3 A320 flights, it would only make sense if someone had identified a market for 6+ flights a day.

There's also the question of where Aer Arann could find a suitable aircraft to dedicate to that level of service.

PPRuNeUser0176
14th May 2012, 19:47
Aer lingus have interduced Price Lock on selected routes.

Tom the Tenor
14th May 2012, 21:07
What's a price lock?! Thanks.

PPRuNeUser0176
14th May 2012, 21:39
From EI website:

Aer Lingus Price Lock service allows you to hold your itinerary and fare for 24hours, for a fee. Book your flight while you complete (http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/bookonline/flexibleSearchSchedule.do#) and confirm your travel plans. Our Price Lock service will guarantee an available seat and the fare you were quoted at the time you made your booking.

Look up DUB-ACE in July and further details are there.

muccail
15th May 2012, 09:45
Why has the Cork Munich flights not been released for Winter 2012/13?:sad::sad:

Mlinnie
15th May 2012, 15:04
I think it's because Aer Lingus hasnt released their winter schedule yet, its the same with Waterford & Belfast hardly any of the routes out of there are shown, when will the winter schedule be released ?

ryan2000
15th May 2012, 16:24
They've an early bird sale from Cork valid until 13th December. Yet most of the winter routes haven't been loaded, it'd be great if they give us an extra City Break destination instead of the usual Sun Routes.

Jack1985
17th May 2012, 17:26
Great work from the Marketing team at Aer Lingus! :ok: Aer Lingus Guide to This Summer's Football - YouTube

dublinaviator
17th May 2012, 18:24
Who the hell is handling social media in Aer Lingus?

They have a youtube account called 'aerlingus1' - seriously? They couldn't even come up with flyaerlingus or aerlingusdotcom?

They have no Twit*er, LinkedIn, or Facebook account. None of which cost anything to setup and maintain. Twit*er and Facebook can be used to provide customer support, and Facebook in particular is a great and proven way to increase brand awareness as well as promote sales. LinkedIn is a great way to connect to the business community and promote your product offering, as BA have successfully done, and can also act as a great recruiting tool.

For an airline that's making such an effort to increase mobile accessibility, I can't get over how much they've ignored social media.

If you want an example of great marketing, look no further than easyJet and BA. They know how to do it.

Jack1985
17th May 2012, 18:57
I'd have to agree with you dublinaviator I don't see why Aer Lingus haven't a presence on Twit*er or Facebook yet, the name aerlingus1 on youtube shows Aer Lingus don't seem to have a full grasp on social networking yet.:O I have to say their Mobile app is nothing more then a shambles personally it needs a serious revamp and the inclusion of all European routes.

Steviec9
18th May 2012, 13:12
What's going on with Aer Lingus reservation system today? It's a shambles.

I've booked a ticket and got a temporary confirmation but 'card verification failure' and told to call Help Desk. All the contact centre numbers are stating problems and to call later...

Twi-t-er is starting to fill up with disgruntled comments including (apparently) a 70yo woman who has been left at MAN because of the problems and they're asking her to pay cash....

Noxegon
18th May 2012, 13:23
Apparently Realex is broken. I guess we now know who EI use for payment processing :)

Service Status Update - Realex Payments (http://www.realexpayments.com/in-the-news/service-status-update-180512)

Steviec9
18th May 2012, 13:32
Thanks.

Goes back to Jack1985's post. The situation is obviously outside of AL's control and yet they haven't updated their web page with details or stopped trying to process reservations online. Bizarre way to conduct comms with your customers in the 21st Century.

NorthernCounties
18th May 2012, 13:34
Indeed, confirmed here...

Who we work with. (http://www.realexpayments.com/ie/clients-we-work-with)

BHD2BFS
21st May 2012, 13:00
Anyone know why BFS winter schedule hasn't been released yet? Is the rumour true that they are moving I BHD and that's why it hasn't been launched yet?

irish lad
21st May 2012, 18:54
Is BHD runway long enough for a fully loaded aerlingus A320 to the canaries?

BHD2BFS
21st May 2012, 18:56
I'm pretty sure the a320 family have quite a small TODR compared to Boeing so should be ok

skyways1452
21st May 2012, 19:59
An A320 would be limited to around 131 passengers with bags and no additional cargo for a flight to Tenerife for example due to the fuel uplift needed. How many can EI's hold, 174/180?

BHD2BFS
21st May 2012, 20:09
I thought all of EI European routes where carried out by the 319 now and the 320 is only used on LHR

EI-BUD
21st May 2012, 20:14
Hey BHD2BFS;

check many dates BFS LHR is operated by 319 and the 320 heading to the Canaries, Malaga and Faro. Check Jul13 to 15th you will see! Also it is not uncommon at weekends.

The BFS LHR route is in for big drop in numbers this summer, as last year there were 4 x 320 each day this year it is 3 daily with some on 319, though as you say it is 320 in the main on LHR. EI carrier a respectable 32k pax on BFS LHR last July compared to 39K bmi on BHD LHR... sadly we wont see that again this July! !

EI-BUD

BHD2BFS
21st May 2012, 20:21
EI-BUD is there are reason t why capacity has been cut? Surely there is demand for it?

Skipness One Echo
21st May 2012, 20:23
When does the A319 begin LHR? I have yet to see one.

j636
21st May 2012, 20:26
Its being operating since 25 March this year, according to EI website all 3 flights tomorrow are A319

EI-BUD
21st May 2012, 20:27
BHD2BFS I am not entirely sure, I would guess with new capacity coming to the market, i.e. EZY to SEN (not a major reason), coupled potentially with lower than expected yield perhaps they figured better to do x3 daily and get good ticket prices than do 4 and have to sacrifice on yield to fill aircraft. The other issue is that with the lack of a 4th LHR rotation it means that one of the aircraft operating European routes can get away earlier to BCN and ALC, the resultant being to the schedule that these flights get back at 2105 and 2150 on the respective nights instead of 2350 sort of time. Perhaps they feel that having a not so late arrival back to BFS may be more attractive than a later one. Not entirely sure to be honest. Just what I can interpret!

EI-BUD

skyways1452
21st May 2012, 20:31
The A319 is a fair point however I wouldn't know what the seat limits would be on that off hand. I know that they are rated up to about 70tons takeoff weight so assuming that they would need around 15tons of fuel (again, dont have A319 figures but using the 737-700 as a fuel burn comparitor) it should be around 136 passengers without additional cargo. Thats a ballpark figure obviously..

In response to queries RE the A319. One operated BFS-LHR-BFS-LHR-BFS-LHR-SNN, overnighted for maintennance check, then SNN-LHR-BFS etc. the next day last Tuesday/Wednesday.

EI-BUD
21st May 2012, 20:34
Yes Faro and Lanzarote get A320 tomorrow, Malaga and Alicante get 319 and LHR 3 x 319

skyways1452
21st May 2012, 20:36
Just to add to my previous post, EI-EPR is due for its check at SNN tomorrow night hence reason the replacement. EI-DVJ should be doing FAO and ACE tomorrow.

Skipness One Echo
21st May 2012, 21:31
Its being operating since 25 March this year, according to EI website all 3 flights tomorrow are A319
That's not the case, it has consistently been an A320. Booking engine bug?

skyways1452
21st May 2012, 21:43
Nope, it will be an A319.

akerosid
22nd May 2012, 17:07
Any comments on the UK ruling on FR's shareholding in EI; EI has welcomed it and it opens the way to an OFT inquiry.

Aer Lingus Welcomes UK Court Ruling Over Ryanair's Share Holding - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120522-704476.html)

What's the likely outcome here? Could FR be forced to dispose of its shareholding?

PPRuNeUser0176
22nd May 2012, 18:11
Dublin-Verona will be year round with EI, it increases to 3 weekly from October. Intresting to see if FR will follow. I don't think they will.

dublinaviator
23rd May 2012, 11:31
Any comments on the UK ruling on FR's shareholding in EI; EI has welcomed it and it opens the way to an OFT inquiry.

It'll come to nothing. The European Court of Justice, who have the final say, have already ruled that Ryanair can keep their shareholding in Aer Lingus. So before they even start their investigation, it's already a waste of time. This is nothing more than a pointless exercise for the UK OFT to justify their existence and their high pay cheques.

And that's before mentioning the fact that both airlines involved are based in Ireland, which is equivalent to the Irish Competition Authority attempting to block a merger between BA and BMI.

It's just a complete waste of UK taxpayer's money.

mart901
23rd May 2012, 12:18
Just remember though it was the european commision which blocked take over and it was on competition grounds and also the fact that they have dealt in recent times against a lot of anti competitive practices such as price fixing. I dont suppose the UK competition authority have time or money to waste on things these days and are no doubt working with the EU anyway otherwise why bother. It may very well be an investigation by the EU being tackled by indirect means.

dublinaviator
23rd May 2012, 13:06
It may very well be an investigation by the EU being tackled by indirect means.

What would be the point in that? There's nothing to stop the European Commission reopening an investigation, which they've done plenty of times.

The fact is the EC have done their investigations and made the decision to block a merger between Ryanair and Aer Lingus, which was later upheld by the European Courts of Justice, who also ruled Ryanair could retain their 30% shareholding.

So there's nothing for the UK OFT to investigate, they're just wasting their own taxpayers money.

dsandson
23rd May 2012, 14:19
And that's before mentioning the fact that both airlines involved are based in Ireland, which is equivalent to the Irish Competition Authority attempting to block a merger between BA and BMI.

Id just like to point out that this is not neccesarily fair. The UK competition authority has juristiction over any market place in the UK, including for travel between the Uk and another nation. As such EI and Ryanair have a significant part of the UK-Ireland airline travel market, so they certainly are within their right to investigate to seek to protect UK consumers.

To put this in context, Stena Line only last year bought Norfolkline's Belfast - Birkenhead ferry route. They are a Swedish Company, with a UK branch purchasing another UK concern, itself owned by another Scandinavian company. Stena needed authorisation from both the UK and Irish competition regulators as part of the market served by the route was in the Irish Republic, even though it was technically a domestic UK route.

It can work both ways. It just happens to be that most of the UK-Ireland market is served by Irish airlines.

Dave

racedo
23rd May 2012, 19:46
Id just like to point out that this is not neccesarily fair. The UK competition authority has juristiction over any market place in the UK, including for travel between the Uk and another nation. As such EI and Ryanair have a significant part of the UK-Ireland airline travel market, so they certainly are within their right to investigate to seek to protect UK consumers.

It can work both ways. It just happens to be that most of the UK-Ireland market is served by Irish airlines.

It is purely a political act by Lib D:Eheads nothing more nothing less.

If there was an issue then it was there when the original takeover attempt took place and then was deemed not worthy of investigation by OFT.

If OFT are allowed carry out this then they setting the precedence for any EU country to get involved in any takeover where trading is occuring in that country and trust me they will.

OFT as usual showing what a bunch of idiots they are.

mart901
23rd May 2012, 20:09
Before you can investigate a monopoly and/or anti competitive practices you really need evidence of it and also both EI and FR are Irish companies so could the OFT in the UK really have stopped the purchase of a large amount of shares in Ireland. However time has shown to them a case which is why they have investigated.Just because MOL is bullish, foul mouthed and runs a big company does not make him or his business interests outside the law, as FR has found out to its consequence on a number of occasions.

quantumofcheese
26th May 2012, 22:25
Hi all, just out of interest does anyone have a list of the destinations which EI regularly serves using the A321?

MAN FLEX 99
28th May 2012, 20:15
DBV, NCE and BRU along with the occasional LHR

Mlinnie
28th May 2012, 20:42
I've also seen it been used on Milan-Malpensa, Catania, Venice & Palma :cool: are the Aer Lingus a321s still going to be here for a while ?

EISNN
29th May 2012, 17:03
Also used occasionally on AGP in the evening time and the late FAO and also it was on ARN about two weeks ago. The ARN was full I'm told. Good to see it doing so well or was there something special going on in Stockholm maybe in the last few weeks?

PPRuNeUser0176
29th May 2012, 17:08
In summer they can be on any route, I have saw theom on ALC, PMI, WAW, MXP, AMS, LPA, ACE, TFS, BUD already this summer. It varies as they sell all flights as A320 and relase extra seats on A321 when they are required on certain routes.

DannyKelly22
31st May 2012, 10:27
Donations allow local football players to go on their dream trip - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston (http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/18661438/2012/05/30/donations-allow-local-football-players-to-go-on-their-dream-trip)

Jack1985
31st May 2012, 12:52
$35,000 to get Fox24 coverage infront of how many millions? :D

dublinaviator
31st May 2012, 15:42
Fair play to Aer Lingus.

Mlinnie
7th Jun 2012, 21:48
"Aer Lingus carried 23,000 more passengers last month than in May 2011 according to its latest statistics

The passenger load factor increased by 2.9 points on May 2011 to 76.2%.
The main factor was an increase of 22,000 in passenger numbers for the Aer Lingus regional service. Those are routes such as Waterford to Manchester and Dublin to the Isle Of Man which used to be operated by Aer Arann but which Aer Lingus now runs on foot of an agreement between the two airlines.
Elsewhere, short haul traffic for Aer Lingus, routes into and out of the UK and Europe, fell slightly and long haul traffic - routes outside of Europe - rose but from a low base.
The short haul flown load factor was 73.8%, an increase of 0.9 points on May 2011, with capacity decreasing by 1.6%.
The long haul flown load factor was 81.5%, an increase of 7.4 points on May 2011, with capacity increasing by 0.5%.
Aer Lingus' total flown passenger numbers in May 2012 were 882,000, an increase of 0.1% compared to May 2011.''

j636
11th Jun 2012, 19:23
Are Aer Lingus going to operate charter flights this winter from DUB, ORK and LGW and since when have olympic holidays started using seats on EI flights from DUB and ORK?

EI-BUD
11th Jun 2012, 20:41
I would be surprised to see Aer Lingus returning to Belfast Alicante for the winter. Easyjet timings are now much more savy, with evening departures at similar times as Aer Lingus last winter. Though some on different days.

The route was thin last winter, for both operators, though 320 was too big. I will be interested to see what EI come up with for the winter ex Belfast.

'Question for someone close to EI operation,or an employee in the know', do you know when the BFS winter schedule will be announced?

Thanks
EI-BUD

Mlinnie
11th Jun 2012, 22:05
Wait so they aren't moving to BHD ?

CallBell
11th Jun 2012, 22:59
Mlinnie
Belfast
Wait so they aren't moving to BHD ?

It's only ever been rumoured or suggested EI could be interested in moving, mostly prompted by a late release of the winter schedule. EI themselves have said nothing about a move to BHD.

mart901
11th Jun 2012, 23:08
EI/EIR are late with launching quite a lot of winter timetables, nothing online yet for WAT, SEN only DUB route on sale, no BHX-NOC past 27/10 despite only just being launched so its maybe not to do with base changes at Belfast but generally not being ready to commit schedule on a lot of the less major routes.

AIRPORT66
14th Jun 2012, 16:21
Anybody within Aerlingus or know anything about them know what the airline are going to do with there Belfast base want to book flights to London but would rather use BFS need to hurry up or may just book with Easyjet.

stab3.5up
14th Jun 2012, 19:11
I doubt that EI will b very happy with the much improved BA product on the DUB-LHR route from 27 June, complimentry catering in both class all flights all day. Increaased baggage allowances, no charges for baggage or seat selection. I know that BD offered some of this but with the BA brand now i feel a price war looming!! Or EI finally intoduce C class to LHR.

ayroplain
14th Jun 2012, 19:27
This evening's EI498 (A321 EI-CPE according to flightradar)) from DUB to Faro has diverted to Lisbon. Said to be due to cabin pressure problems but no rapid descent. Pax are to be coached to Faro.

Mlinnie
15th Jun 2012, 11:19
Aer Lingus are now switching operations from BFS to BHD BBC News - Aer Lingus to switch to George Best Belfast City Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18454784)

irishlad06
15th Jun 2012, 11:32
at the moment this has not been confirmed, it is just purely specualation on the BBC's part but im sure there is some substance to it and probably will happen.

dublinaviator
19th Jun 2012, 17:39
Ryanair has announced that it intends to make an all cash offer of €1.30 per share for Aer Lingus.

Ryanair makes all cash offer for Aer Lingus valuing the airline at €649m - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0619/ryanair-makes-all-cash-offer-for-aer-lingus.html)

Ryanair makes cash offer for Aer Lingus - breakingnews.ie (http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/ryanair-makes-694m-cash-offer-for-aer-lingus-555939.html)

j636
20th Jun 2012, 20:06
Aer Lingus have upgraded there website. Looks much better and its easier to find things.

Mlinnie
25th Jun 2012, 22:25
Michael O'Leary guess what ? This is NEVER going to happen ! :ok:

PPRuNeUser0176
27th Jun 2012, 21:04
EI are changing lounge providers at BRU and the new provider will be BA.

BHD2BFS
27th Jun 2012, 21:16
With all this code sharing with BA and sharing of other things can we see EI become part of the one world group or even more part of IAG?

Charlie Roy
28th Jun 2012, 09:00
With all this code sharing with BA and sharing of other things can we see EI become part of the one world group or even more part of IAG?

That's if the BA lounge at BRU refers to British Airways (Oneworld) and not Brussels Airlines (Star Alliance)

BDKLEZ
28th Jun 2012, 10:33
Any more news/info/rumour on potential move from BFS to BHD?

Mlinnie
28th Jun 2012, 21:35
Regarding the BHD move it's probably gonna happen as EZy are increasing frequency from BFS on London routes and Jet2 have announced routes to Tenerife & Lanzarote

Fairdealfrank
28th Jun 2012, 21:52
Quote: "With all this code sharing with BA and sharing of other things can we see EI become part of the one world group"

Hope so! What does EI bring to the alliance? Apart from other considerations, USA pre-clearance at DUB, SNN. EI were members before, their return is long overdue.

Quote: "or even more part of IAG?"

Who can say, possibly. Alternatively IAG may buy enough of a stake in EI for a say on the board(?).

Skipness One Echo
28th Jun 2012, 22:31
can we see EI become part of the one world group
They LEFT Oneworld as they were not prepared to pay the costs and maintain the lounges and frequent flier infrastructure required of a member. They went loco, and that's pretty much where they still are.

j636
28th Jun 2012, 23:54
They went loco, and that's pretty much where they still are.

To be fair EI can never become a full service carrier. They have to deal with FR on over 70% of there routes and I am always suprised how well they do it but in saying that FR are not very loco in Ireland compared to the rest of Europe. The days of full service carriers are becoming shorter and shorter and this is seen all over Europe with 2 major carriers gone bust or having to merge with others to keep going. For an airline I think EI are well placed in Europe and there future is more certain than many carriers and there level of service has improved a lot in recent years particually Long Haul.

Charlie Roy
4th Jul 2012, 14:50
Government waits for formal offer from Ryanair for Aer Lingus - RT News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0703/government-waits-for-formal-offer-from-ryanair.html)

...the Government will take into consideration when considering selling its share what is best for passengers, what is best for the taxpayer in terms of the price they get, what is best for the economy in terms of competitiveness and the views of the regulatory authorities to any bid.

Minister Varadkar also said that continued access to London's Heathrow will be considered when looking at any offer.
Willie Walsh said he was not interested in acquiring Aer Lingus, or the Government's 25% stake in the airline.

He also said there was probably "some merit" to Ryanair's argument that it should now be allowed to acquire Aer Lingus.

Scenario:

Government sells Aer Lingus stake to Ryanair with the condition that a certain number of Heathrow slots be used by them to fly to Ireland
British Airways buys the Heathrow slots from Ryanair and honour the condition to use them to operate a certain number of Heathrow to Ireland (DUB/ORK/SNN) flights
Aer Lingus Regional franchise deal finishes, Aer Arann re-emerge as an airline, Ryanair/Aer Lingus do not compete with them on certain routes for say 5 years (one of the conditions of buying the government stake in Aer Lingus)
Aer Lingus brand exists alongside Ryanair for 5 years before disappearing

EI-BUD
4th Jul 2012, 15:13
Ryanair/Aer Lingus do not compete with them on certain routes

CharlieRoy, the whole scenario is scary, the above would be most unlikely given that the deregulated market etc, though it is ironic that Ryanair owes its survival to a similar 5 year restriction on Aer Lingus competing with them on their routes.

BA's support of Ryanair investment is an interesting development. Willie Walsh had said before that given the state of the pension deficit in Aer Lingus he wouldnt be interesting in them pursuing it.

Things can change very quickly that is one thing true in the aviation industry. So who knows?

EI-BUD

mart901
4th Jul 2012, 15:18
So heres one for the employment law specialists among you. Lets just say hypothetically FR take over EI. Where does that put the trade unions in EI? Would MOL ever be dictated to or would they be on strike for ever more or could FR's non-union acceptance policy over ride peoples trade union affiliation?

Just a spotter
4th Jul 2012, 19:00
If history is any guide (and I'm basing this on the Buzz experience), then, IMHO, the most likely outcome should FR purchase EI is that within 3-6 months there is an industrial relations stand off with the newly acquired firm and within 18-24 month EI ceases to exist.

But, that is nothing more than my own personal opinion based on my own assessment of the situation and reference to the only available prior historical data.

How FR would react to achieving a near monopoly position on short haul air links into and out of the State can only be a matter of speculation.

JAS

racedo
4th Jul 2012, 21:07
So heres one for the employment law specialists among you. Lets just say hypothetically FR take over EI. Where does that put the trade unions in EI? Would MOL ever be dictated to or would they be on strike for ever more or could FR's non-union acceptance policy over ride peoples trade union affiliation?

Equally possible to run the companys as completely separate companys........ BA Gatwick / Heathrow T&Cs are a prime example.

Aer Lingus long haul and on city main airport routes and Ryanair on everything else with Ryanair being used as a feeder service for LH Trans Atlantic.

Big plus is that Aer Lingus gets volume for TA flights with Customs and Immigration clearance done in Ireland, volumes drops TA price and not so worried about covering huge Dublin overhead. As flights from Ireland then Irish govt eliminates travel taxes for everybody.

Ryanair takes the people to Ireland but as people book separate onward flights then no huge travel taxes to EU Govts.

Skipness One Echo
4th Jul 2012, 22:29
Equally possible to run the companys as completely separate companys........ BA Gatwick / Heathrow T&Cs are a prime example.
Indeed with Mixed Fleet at LHR now on less than LGW(!)

Aer Lingus long haul and on city main airport routes and Ryanair on everything else with Ryanair being used as a feeder service for LH Trans Atlantic.
NOBODY on God's Earth is going to fly Ryanair to connect to Aer Lingus out of Dublin on long haul. The only thing worse than a normal short haul connection at the end of an overnight transatlantic flight would be if it were with Ryanair. In all seriousness, even on price, I think that's a step too far. MOL does NOT do complexity, one aircraft type, no sophisticated booking, cheap as chips, no connections. The FR culture would get f***ed up overnight the day they did that. They dismantled Buzz for a good reason, Aer Lingus in the hands of Ryanair would be....er Ryanair in a year. A for long haul, well in all seriousness it's only six aircraft and one on lease to United. The real win win would be decreased competition and massively increased yields out of Ireland.
Eire is not nearly as competitve as London, hence this is not like BA buying out BMI.

Shamrock350
4th Jul 2012, 23:29
Etihad pledges to hold on to Aer Lingus stake

Etihad CEO says "we are not selling" and backs the current management team and strategy at Aer Lingus

Etihad investments are strategic and long term.

In talks with Aer Lingus about the possibility of code sharing.

Etihad pledges to hold on to Aer Lingus stake - FT.com (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3b1d6e9a-c61d-11e1-a3d5-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1zhOhuo16)

Jack1985
5th Jul 2012, 08:09
Dublin & London, 5 July 2012: Aer Lingus Group plc (“Aer Lingus”), today announced traffic statistics for the month of June 2012.

Aer Lingus’ flown passenger load factor in June 2012 increased by 3.8 points on June 2011 to 82.6%.

Short haul flown load factor was 78.1%, an increase of 1.4 points on June 2011, with capacity in line with the prior year.

Long haul flown load factor was 92.4%, an increase of 9.0 points on June 2011, with capacity increasing by 0.1%.

Total flown passenger numbers, including Aer Lingus Regional operations, increased by 4.8% in June 2012.

Aer Lingus’ total flown passenger numbers in June 2012 were 918,000, an increase of 2.0% compared to June 2011.

Short haul flown passengers in June 2012 were 819,000, an increase of 0.1% on June 2011, while long haul flown passengers in June 2012 were 99,000, an increase of 12.5% on June 2011.

Aer Lingus Regional’s total flown passenger numbers in June 2012 were 95,000, an increase of 41.8% compared to June 2011.

So both Aer Lingus Regional and Long Haul operations continue to go from strength to strength, a strong set of results from Aer Lingus today.

PPRuNeUser0176
5th Jul 2012, 11:05
Very impressive long haul LF. Can't wait to see there plans for summer 2013 and if the A332 operating for United comes back to DUB to increase ORD and others like was stated in May or will they lease an A330.

Also good to see that Aer Lingus are one of the airlines scrapping last minute debit surcharges.

ayroplain
5th Jul 2012, 11:12
NOBODY on God's Earth is going to fly Ryanair to connect to Aer Lingus out of Dublin on long haul

Have to agree with this. FR makes it clear that it is a “point to point” airline and MOL has consistently expressed his desire to do away with hold baggage and this is reflected in the charges. Who is going to fly longhaul with just carry-on? This is not to denigrate Ryanair who are a lifesaver for me and 75m other passengers but, for this to happen, there would have to be a complete change of mindset.

I also don’t go along with this theory that hordes of people in the UK and/or Europe will want to fly to the US through Dublin just because of the US Clearance facility. The vast majority of people prefer direct flights from their own cities. Even if their ultimate destination in US is not served by a direct flight are they really going to want to fly a third leg to/from DUB. I don’t think so.

I still can’t understand why FR would want take onboard EI and all its baggage. Apart from the pensions problem, from day one they would be up against “outraged and angry” trade unions and staff whose resentment is abundantly clear and who would do all in their power to create agro every single step of the way. In an era when airlines have to make instant decisions and changes as things happen (and which MOL is steeped in) can he afford to wait 12 months or longer before change is “agreed” around a table.

Maybe he has a plan for all that in which case I’d love to hear it.

IrishFlyer2013
5th Jul 2012, 11:51
Aer Lingus to operate daily flights between DUB & CPH from the 28 of October.

Jamie2k9
5th Jul 2012, 12:38
Up aginst SK and DY will be intresting. Both have slightly reduced CPH this winter. In other news Dublin-Bordeaux is now year round. Will be 2 weekly.

mart901
5th Jul 2012, 12:44
Do we have a date for the Belfast announcement?

PPRuNeUser0176
5th Jul 2012, 17:10
2001......2004.........2007........2012.......will we be posting the same here in lets say around 2015?

History suggests that DUB-CPH hasn't worked for EI and since it was dropped in 2007 DY took it up in 2009 so compitation is worse than ever...Currently 22 weekly flights planned for 2012/13 season including EI.

If EI have any sort of change of lasting it will need to be dropped to 3/4 weekly. DY can only manage 2 weekly in winter and 3 in summer and they are a loco.

Jack1985
5th Jul 2012, 18:01
Would have to agree really only thing Aer Lingus are going to achieve operating a daily service to CPH this Winter is the flooding of the market. However though their research/route development team obviously researched this well.

EI-BUD
5th Jul 2012, 19:00
Yes Aer Lingus have tried CPH to death including a via Manchester option in the past if memory serves me correctly. However, if the demand is greater for DUB originating passengers there is no reason why Aer Lingus cannot get a fair slice of the market. Though I must admit to do so will make it quite marginal. When do the second pair of 319s join the fleet? Perhaps using a 319 may make it that bit more sustainable? Based on the fact that EI havent issued a Belfast winter timetable, and no sign of European routes, and still no sign of clarity of Belfast base for winter, a 319 or 2 may be appearing in Dublin sooner rather than later. a 144 seater could open up a range of routes from the Dublin market that Aer Lingus is not currently involved in.

EI-BUD

Jack1985
5th Jul 2012, 19:12
That's true EI-BUD, two more A319's are due in early 2013 so at least they have the option of smaller equipment this time to maybe finally get CPH to work for them.

BHD2BFS
5th Jul 2012, 20:13
With BA upping its services from BHD to LHR and no bfs winter schedule this late, could they possibly be leaving the NI market?

Mlinnie
5th Jul 2012, 22:03
I don't know about Aer Lingus but I would hope they would remain at BFS but we haven't been waiting far too long we need an announcement soon :ugh:

With the Aer Lingus A319s do you think EI would start up Luxembourg ? Now that luxair have left dublin im sure that there is still demand for it.

racedo
5th Jul 2012, 22:20
NOBODY on God's Earth is going to fly Ryanair to connect to Aer Lingus out of Dublin on long haul. The only thing worse than a normal short haul connection at the end of an overnight transatlantic flight would be if it were with Ryanair. In all seriousness, even on price, I think that's a step too far. MOL does NOT do complexity, one aircraft type, no sophisticated booking, cheap as chips, no connections. The FR culture would get f***ed up overnight the day they did that.

It depends....

Dunno - Book an Aer Lingus TA flight and get a voucher that entitles you to a Ryanair flight to Dub / SNN with checkable bag allowance / reserved seating and priority boarding and its cheaper than a direct as not a connecting flight.

No UK tax on flight as separate flights and fares a lot lower and think you may find quite a few takers.

Relatively easy to have 2 separate brands from same company.

Skipness One Echo
5th Jul 2012, 23:13
Relatively easy to have 2 separate brands from same company.
It's relatively easy in a complimentary relationship like Air France and KLM or BA and Iberia, with service levels in the same ballpark. However stepping off a decent long haul experience onto a bright yellow Ryanair B737-800 with a charmless crew and buy on board is far from a seamless transfer. I cannot think of any company(s) where this works well today. Even with BA and American, people get hacked off when they end up flying on a rubbish American B767 when they booked a BA flight, only to discover it's a codeshare. Once bitten twice shy...

Damian O'Leary
8th Jul 2012, 10:01
Reported that EI intends to start LHR-EDI if successful in bidding for the take-off and landing slots at Heathrow released following IAG's acquisition of BMI:

Aer Lingus to bid for UK slots at Heathrow - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/9384218/Aer-Lingus-to-bid-for-UK-slots-at-Heathrow.html)

Charlie Roy
8th Jul 2012, 10:57
Reported that EI intends to start LHR-EDI if successful in bidding for the take-off and landing slots at Heathrow released following IAG's acquisition of BMI

It has prescribed that eight of the 12 slot pairs must be used for flights between Heathrow and Edinburgh or Aberdeen to provide adequate competition to BA.

Would Aer Lingus compete with British Airways or code share I wonder...

EI-BUD
8th Jul 2012, 11:22
AerLingus has been one of the obvious contenders for this, given the size of their operation at LHR and their proximity to BA, lets say. (interlining on ORK, SNN, DUB and BFS to LHR, which is important to BA and EI alike).

The other likely candidates can only be to my mind
Virgin
bmi Regional

Virgin very unlikely to be serious about doing domestic.

BA would much rather have EI in the fold as they will have to cooperate anyway, as per the conditions of allowing another operator to operate LHR EDI and ABZ, if EI dont go for ABZ I cant see any other operator going after it.

Perhaps as a concession, BA could opt to serve INV in place of the slots to be allocated to ABZ route.?

As much as BA has made strong signals of its committment to BHD and the Belfast market (all very welcome), I still feel that EI doing a deal at BHD is linked to some sort of unwritten agreement with BA where EI gets onto EI ex LHR and BA exits Belfast martet. Whether EI is successful in getting LHR EDI slots that remains to be seen.

WHBM
8th Jul 2012, 12:12
I still feel that EI doing a deal at BHD is linked to some sort of unwritten agreement with BA where EI gets onto EI ex LHR and BA exits Belfast martet.
Given that EI is 30% owned by Ryanair, I can't see BA coming to any undisclosed agreement with them on anything, which information Michael O'Leary would have a field day with at a time of his choosing.

EI-BUD
8th Jul 2012, 12:36
WHBM; fair point, but MOL doesnt need to be party to all workings of EI behind the scene. FR is not a majority shareholder, besides my point was 'an unwritten agreement' which I suggest would be of mutual benefit to BA and EI. We will just have to wait and see, in the mean time the future of EI services at Belfast hangs in suspense, seems quite certain that this winter we wont have Aer Lingus on continental European routes ex Belfast, quite late in the day to be putting these on sale and Jet2 have announced service to TFS and ACE!

Skipness One Echo
8th Jul 2012, 15:15
Aer Lingus on LHR-EDI has the company codename "Operation Gatwick Base" for reasons I would not dare to guess at. Allegedly!

racedo
8th Jul 2012, 16:50
besides my point was 'an unwritten agreement' which I suggest would be of mutual benefit to BA and EI.

Its called a Cartel and not only illegal it could cost 10% of turnover in fines and jail terms.

Jamie2k9
9th Jul 2012, 13:03
Aer Lngus are moving from Terminal 4 (International) in JFK to Terminal 5 (Jet Bule base). This will benefit passengers who are connecting on Jet Blue flights which will require minimum connection time. Move due to take place during Q1 2013.

JetBlue | Investor relations | Press Releases (http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=131045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1712623&highlight)=

barossavalley
17th Jul 2012, 05:49
Ryanair has until close of business today to submit offer document for Aer Lingus bid
Ryanair must submit Aer Lingus offer today - Irish, Business - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-must-submit-aer-lingus-offer-today-3171092.html)

Jack1985
17th Jul 2012, 12:21
''Ryanair Submits EU694 Million Bid For Irish Rival Aer Lingus'' Ryanair Submits EU694 Million Bid for Irish Rival Aer Lingus - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-17/ryanair-submits-eu694-million-offer-for-irish-rival-aer-lingus.html)

Jack1985
17th Jul 2012, 22:41
I hear a certain Lufthansa employee was spotted with a small entourage at Aer Lingus' HQ last Monday, could we finally see Aer Lingus re-joining an alliance in 2013? It's hard to see which alliance they could be headed for, Oneworld although possible seems now a longshot with the BA codeshare close to being ripped up by the looks of it. Star Alliance seems to be #1 in the running, SkyTeam shouldn't be ruled out however. Mueller's recent comments that any alliance would be outweighed by costs associated with it seems to have been addressed, we should be hearing this announcement soon I gather. ;)

LGS6753
18th Jul 2012, 16:39
Aer Lingus: Ryanair bid 'not credible' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/9409462/Aer-Lingus-Ryanair-bid-not-credible.html)

...Ryanair bid "not credible".

Belboy
18th Jul 2012, 18:45
The Aer Lingus board say the offer is not credible, what would you expect them to say.

EI-BUD
18th Jul 2012, 21:48
I hear a certain Lufthansa employee was spotted with a small entourage at Aer
Lingus' HQ last Monday, could we finally see Aer Lingus re-joining an alliance
in 2013?

Jack1985, sadly if this is true, it would suggest that BA/EI arrangements on Ireland London routes are not in a good place, and the gloves are likely to come off in terms of both airlines competing heavily on some of EI's most importand and highest frequency routes.

In addition, would a link with Star dilute EI work on DUB LHR and increased emphasis on Ireland/Germany routes with feed to LH network ex FRA?

Diverting connecting passengers over FRA as opposed to LHR may mean EI can cut DUB by 1 or 2 a day and leave these for other routes? Just a thought.

A link with Star may also give some clues as to why EI go back onto CPH as they could link with SAS??

EI-BUD

Fairdealfrank
18th Jul 2012, 22:05
Are BA and EI no longer code-sharing on LHR-ORK and LHR-SNN?

VanBosh
18th Jul 2012, 22:19
Is there any evidence of a deteriation with EI/BA? I keep reading it here but may have missed something concrete? Granted BA are now competing directly but I don't think they have enough seats /slots to fill what EI bring their way?

Also if they did join star would it have to mean no BA code share? Didn't they code share with KLM at AMS when in one world?

mart901
18th Jul 2012, 22:27
Isn't klm skyteam or have they changed alliance over the years? It may be that ei going into direct competition at BHD has caused a possible parting of the ways, for Willy Walsh to say FR's offer for EI is somewhat credible begs me to wonder

Fairdealfrank
18th Jul 2012, 22:41
Shame, would have liked to see EI to go back into oneworld.

No, membership of an alliance does not prohibit code shares with carriers in other alliances.

EI-A330-300
18th Jul 2012, 22:50
I hear a certain Lufthansa employee was spotted with a small entourage at Aer Lingus' HQ last Monday,

Think it may be more to do with EI DUB-FRA flights rather than anything else stated here.

Bearcat
18th Jul 2012, 23:26
Rumor going round that O'Leary will up bid shortly. Didn't think he can do this re his recent offer?

Game on

IrishFlyer2013
19th Jul 2012, 08:09
BHD has now appeared on the EI website.

Routes from BHD include:

London Heathrow (from 28 October 2012)
London Gatwick (3 Daily from 28 October 2012)
Malaga (Daily from 31 March 2013)
Faro (Daily from 26 March 2013)

KNT544
19th Jul 2012, 08:12
You must have a different web site or I am looking in the wrong place. I cant seem to find any departure from BHD.

IrishFlyer2013
19th Jul 2012, 08:13
I just replied to you on the BHD thread. :ok:

Jack1985
19th Jul 2012, 15:26
A link with Star may also give some clues as to why EI go back onto CPH as they could link with SAS??

Got it in one ;) just to point out too SAS has reported 12% growth so far this year on its DUB-ARN route and seem's to be relatively unaffected by Aer Lingus' competition.

Star dilute EI work on DUB LHR and increased emphasis on Ireland/Germany routes with feed to LH network ex FRA?

Don't think this would be the case, even though Lufthansa's FRA Hub offers significant benefits. I believe LHR services would be unaffected.

Think it may be more to do with EI DUB-FRA flights rather than anything else stated here.

Has nothing to do with that, at all.

Is there any evidence of a deteriation with EI/BA?

Nothing has actually been said but look at the recent developments,

1) BA/EI now head to head on BHD/DUB-LHR.

2) BA no longer offering onward connections from the above Aer Lingus flights, using its own metal. ORK/SNN so far unaffected.

3) Willie Walsh's recent comments on Ryanair's take-over attempt.

I think it would be wrong of BA to overlook the current codeshare with Aer Lingus, hopefully though following Aer Lingus decision regarding Belfast the two will come to a better arrangement.

NorthernCounties
19th Jul 2012, 17:12
With BA now carrying all connecting traffic on its own craft, and an outside possibility of Aer Lingus joining Star. What do people think the likelihood would be of them starting FRA from BHD?

VanBosh
19th Jul 2012, 17:18
BA are still selling EI flights from Dub on their website though, alongside their own service? Is this due to end?

Charlie Roy
19th Jul 2012, 17:53
BA are still selling EI flights from Dub on their website though, alongside their own service? Is this due to end?

I'm glad you bring this up!

BFS101
19th Jul 2012, 20:33
With BA now carrying all connecting traffic on its own craft,
Unless it is to be updated, booking Belfast - long haul via LHR on ba.com, still offers flights on EI as well as BA metal. This includes flights for the winter timetable.

Will BA cut all ties with EI from Northern Ireland???

blaggerman
19th Jul 2012, 21:13
BA no longer offering onward connections from the above Aer Lingus flights, using its own metal. ORK/SNN so far unaffected.That is not true. Aer Lingus codeshares still bookable and interline still in place.

BA has never had any issue with who fed their long haul flights, and were quite happy for BD to also do so from DUB. Have you any evidence to show that this will change?

EI-A330-300
28th Jul 2012, 11:59
Etihad CEO has said in London yesterday that he expects an imminent expansion of its relationship with Aer Lingus in the comming weeks.

dublinaviator
28th Jul 2012, 20:39
When Aer Lingus confirmed Etihad had taken a stake in them a few months ago, they said they'd be announcing a new code share deal within months, so my guess is that's what it is. It'll be interesting to see how far they go with it though, it could involve Aer Lingus operating some flights to Abu Dhabi, and Etihad feeding Aer Lingus' USA routes.

Jack1985
28th Jul 2012, 20:50
That is not true. Aer Lingus codeshares still bookable and interline still in place.

Please try and book a flight from Belfast or Dublin to London/Heathrow and tell me when your being offered flights on EI metal? If you had read what I said from the beginning I also pointed out flights from Cork/Shannon remained on-sale.

It'll be interesting to see how far they go with it though, it could involve Aer Lingus operating some flights to Abu Dhabi, and Etihad feeding Aer Lingus' USA routes.

Your right there that's probably the gist of this new relationship. Should we now expect an improvement to Aer Lingus Business class product then?

blaggerman
28th Jul 2012, 21:43
Please try and book a flight from Belfast or Dublin to London/Heathrow and tell me when your being offered flights on EI metal?Your assertion was about connecting flights. Example: You can book BA flights from Dublin to Singapore with DUB-LHR leg on EI metal with either EI or BA flight numbers. Nothing has changed. Fare is the same regardless of whether DUB-LHR is on EI or BA metal or EI or BA flight number.

Jack1985
28th Jul 2012, 21:58
Your assertion was about connecting flights. Example: You can book BA flights from Dublin to Singapore with DUB-LHR leg on EI metal with either EI or BA flight numbers. Nothing has changed. Fare is the same regardless of whether DUB-LHR is on EI or BA metal or EI or BA flight number.

Fair enough on reflection I just realized I did mislead in what I said.

dublinaviator
28th Jul 2012, 22:09
Full article regarding Etihad's interest in Aer Lingus on ATW for anyone interested: Etihad predicts Irish expansion | ATWOnline (http://atwonline.com/airline-finance-data/news/etihad-predicts-irish-expansion-0727)

PPRuNeUser0176
29th Jul 2012, 18:06
Etihad eyes seat on Aer Lingus board - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/9436735/Etihad-eyes-seat-on-Aer-Lingus-board.html)

EI-BUD
30th Jul 2012, 09:41
It makes perfect sense to me that Etihad would want to codeshare with EI to give it a competitive advantage over Emirates. The media is a wash with statements like Dublin/Dubai and Dublin/Abu Dhabi have been an overwhelming success etc.

The detail does go so far as to say the loads in each direction, if I was a betting man I would say the loads outbound (towards Australia, NZ especially) are far more attractive than the inbound. I.e. going well on the back of huge emmigration. So strip that away how viable are these routes added to news that Turkish will increase Dublin to 10 weekly (so total capacity with onward flights EY 10, EK 7, TK 10).

If Etihad can secure some sort of exclusive deal with EI to feed pax via Dublin from both sides it's future is much more secure at Dublin. What does anybody else think?

EI-BUD

mart901
30th Jul 2012, 10:02
whilst there is a lot of emigration from Ireland I don't imagine it would be filling planes! Once people settle they will still return for holidays and families and friends will visit, also business links will develop. From what I gather there are many Irish living and working in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

DollarBill
30th Jul 2012, 11:14
We all thought we would have to wait weeks or months for news, but here is the announcement:

Aer Lingus to share flights with Ethiad Airways in new commercial agreement - Irish, Business - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-to-share-flights-with-ethiad-airways-in-new-commercial-agreement-3183091.html)

To take effect from Q3 2012. (can I assume this means from Oct?)

Aer Lingus will cooperate with Etihad Airways on flights between Abu Dhabi and Dublin and have full access to flights across the network beyond Abu Dhabi, to points including Australia , Asia-Pacific, the Indian Subcontinent and the Middle East.

In addition, Etihad will cooperate with Aer Lingus on services to a total of 18 destinations, including Dublin to New York, Boston, London Heathrow , Amsterdam, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Lisbon.

PPRuNeUser0176
30th Jul 2012, 22:59
EY will codeshare with EI on the following routes:
Dublin - Aberdeen, Amsterdam, Brimingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Isle of Man, Jersey, Kerry, Lisbon, London Gatwick, London Heatrow as well as Boston and New York (RE and EY codeshared on a number before)

Also Cork and Shannon flights to Manchester.

EI will place a codeshare on the DUB-Abu Dhabi and have full access to EY network from Abu Dhabi.

Flights will be on sale and will take affect from 15 September however some are subject to regulatory approvals

Jamie2k9
30th Jul 2012, 23:27
United and Aer Lingus have terminated the contract to operate IAD-MAD with 90 days notice from 1 August.

BHD2BFS
30th Jul 2012, 23:34
Will this new codeshare not be effective on BHD-LGW?

Cyrano
31st Jul 2012, 05:22
Will this new codeshare not be effective on BHD-LGW?
EY doesn't fly to Gatwick, so no reason for a codeshare on BHD-LGW.

PPRuNeUser0176
31st Jul 2012, 11:11
pre tax loss of 24.5 million
Revenues up 10% to 626.3 million
operating loss of 4.4 million compared to 26.8 million the previous year
operating costs increased by 5.8% due to fuel and airport charges
included exceptional items such as 4.3 million in fees in defense of FR takeover and 11.7 million spent on restructuring
4.3 million passengers up 3.4% with average yield per passenger up 6.3%
If current trends contuine 2012 profit will be at least that of 2011 before net exceptional items

dublinaviator
31st Jul 2012, 14:30
So with an A330 freed up from the IAD-MAD operation, could we now see a new route to the US or Canada next year?

j636
31st Jul 2012, 14:32
As posted on DUB page there is 5 days already used up for an extra aircraft which leaves 2 left so mabye they will get another 330 from somewhere to add routes?

Wifi fitted to A330 by end of year
Pre Order Short Haul neals to start by Q3.

Aerlingus231
31st Jul 2012, 14:33
http://corporate.aerlingus.com/media/aerlinguscom/content/pdfs/corporate/aerlingusgroupplcH1results2012presentation.pdf

Looks like they'll be launching pre-booked meals on board, and rolling out Wi-fi over the A330 fleet. This should really set them out above their competitors....

As posted on DUB page there is 5 days already used up for an extra aircraft which leaves 2 left so mabye they will get another 330 from somewhere to add routes?

Or just do a twice weekly service to Toronto like they do with MCO, I mean even ACA only do a single weekly service to DUB from Toronto even now in the height of the summer season...

airbourne
31st Jul 2012, 14:39
EI codeshare on the DUB-AUH route. With the pulling of the MAD-IAH route, could you see EI metal on DUB-AUH? Or will there be a 2nd daily flight to ORD, or BOS next summer with the spare aircraft?

MCO is a 2 weekly at the moment, any plans to go back to 3 weekly?

Aerlingus231
31st Jul 2012, 14:42
Or will there be a 2nd daily flight to ORD, or BOS next summer with the spare aircraft?

They've increased ORD from 7 weekly to 11 weekly for next summer, though seeing as United just cancelled the Code-share perhaps this will start sooner...

clareview
31st Jul 2012, 16:27
Firstly its wrong to say Air Canada operates a once weekly flight to Toronto in the summer- its daily in the peak season with a build up in June and a gradual pahse out in September. Air Transat is also operating 4 or 5 a week to Toronot, some via Montreal and some on A310 and others on A330.

The rumour about extra long haul routes seems to emerge every few weeks - last time it was a new east coast route though I would have thought that the east coast is well served from Ireland, particularly in summer - Boston, JFK, Newark, Philadelphia, Dulles, Charlotte, Chicago (not really east coast I know), Atlanta and Orlando - not many options left.

If the other rumours about AA not returning in 2013 prove to be more than rumours, perhaps a few extra Chicago services might make money.

dublinaviator
31st Jul 2012, 16:51
The rumour about extra long haul routes seems to emerge every few weeks - last time it was a new east coast route though I would have thought that the east coast is well served from Ireland, particularly in summer - Boston, JFK, Newark, Philadelphia, Dulles, Charlotte, Chicago (not really east coast I know), Atlanta and Orlando - not many options left.

FWIW that wasn't a rumour, that was something suggested by Aer Lingus themselves in one of their reports a few months ago. And it was US East Coast or Canada.

Mlinnie
31st Jul 2012, 19:10
What about a west coast route with Aer lingus next year ?

Bearcat
31st Jul 2012, 22:34
West coast forget about.....way too small an operation re crew utilization. I'd say any new rtes will be east/mid USA or Canada. Theyll be flying extra rotations to cargo next summer.....route is hammers as it is with their single daily

quantumofcheese
2nd Aug 2012, 16:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilyY3LFvKJQ&feature=plcp

Cracking vid of an EI A321! :)

I know that 3 were disposed of, but they seem to be keeping the remaining 3. Anybody have any info on their future as they are quite old at this stage(12-13 years old)?

racedo
2nd Aug 2012, 19:48
The Sunday Business Post (http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Aer+Lingus+tops+aviation+regulator%27s+complaints+league/id/19410615-5218-501a-4085-5a52e0681387)

Not happy passengers it seems...

PPRuNeUser0176
2nd Aug 2012, 19:53
The Sunday Business Post (http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Aer+Lingus+tops+aviation+regulator%27s+complaints+league/id/19410615-5218-501a-4085-5a52e0681387)

It seems you may be forgetting the cabin crew strike in early 2011...can't see that pleasing passengers.

Then on the other hand passengers could be sick of complaining about FR as nothing changes

racedo
2nd Aug 2012, 20:26
It seems you may be forgetting the cabin crew strike in early 2011...can't see that pleasing passengers.

Then on the other hand passengers could be sick of complaining about FR as nothing changes

Well good way to improve it is don't continually go on or threaten STRIKE...

PPRuNeUser0176
2nd Aug 2012, 21:49
At least staff at EI are a right to express there concerns unlike Ryanair crew who would most lightly get the sack if they did.

racedo
2nd Aug 2012, 22:04
At least staff at EI are a right to express there concerns unlike Ryanair crew who would most lightly get the sack if they did.

Then don't bitch when passengers tell you what they think........

Skipness One Echo
2nd Aug 2012, 23:26
People gave up moaning about Ryanair as they worked out frankly, there was no fecking point anymore.

racedo
3rd Aug 2012, 17:51
People gave up moaning about Ryanair as they worked out frankly, there was no fecking point anymore.

Kind of disproved by their being complaints....

PPRuNeUser0176
6th Aug 2012, 14:52
North American Airlines will be operating a return JFK-DUB flights on 1 and 2 September on a B767-200.

JFK-DUB - 1 Sep
18.20 - 06.00
DUB-JFK - 2 Sep
10.50 - 15.00

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Aug 2012, 12:15
Total passengers 1.109million
Long Haul 99,000 up2% LF of 89.9% with caacity flat.
Short Haul 905,000 down 2% LF of 85.1 up 2% with capacity down 2%.(LGW base).
Regiaonal 105,000 up 40%.

DollarBill
7th Aug 2012, 21:54
North American Airlines will be operating a return JFK-DUB flights on 1 and 2 September on a B767-200. G

I guess this is a charter for the Notre Dame-navy game in the Aviva

irish lad
7th Aug 2012, 23:24
The North American airlines flight is bookable with Aerlingus.. Guess its an extra flight for Aerlingus been operated by North American

j636
13th Aug 2012, 16:47
Aer Lingus seem to be having fleet problems today with two Boston flights having major delays.

I arrived from Bristol at 10.00 for my flight at 11.00 and its being delayed unitl 18.00 which is only an estimate and this afternoons flight to Boston at 14.15 is showing Delayed Next Infomation @ 18.30. Both flights are full to add to problems. One of the return flights to DUB tonight is noiw cancelled.

Is it just 2 A330 gone tech or is it problems in Boston?

Hangar6
13th Aug 2012, 16:57
Hi , yes bad news today two went tech and both full in both directions .....
oh for the loan of that IAH MAD A330

j636
14th Aug 2012, 01:18
They leased an HiFlyA340 to cover EI133 and fixed one of there A330 to operare EI137.

If anyone intrested the HiFly A340 will be arriving back in DUB at 23.30 (24/08).

Bearcat
14th Aug 2012, 07:35
Reason for delays were 2 a330s suffered serious lightening strikes. They took the hit with Bos flts.....

dublinaviator
16th Aug 2012, 14:17
Etihad interested in buying Ryanair's stake in Aer Lingus:

Bloomberg: Etihad CEO Interested in Buying Ryanair Stake in Aer Lingus (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-16/etihad-is-interested-in-buying-aer-lingus-stake-from-ryanair.html)

The Sunday Business Post: Etihad Interested in Ryanair's Aer Lingus Stake (http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Etihad+interested+in+Ryanair's+Aer+Lingus+stake/id/19410615-5218-502c-b072-9ffbd6000894)

RTÉ News: Etihad interested in Ryanair's near 30% stake in Aer Lingus (http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0816/etihad-looking-at-ryanairs-stake-in-aer-lingus-business.html)

TheJournal.ie: Etihad eyes Ryanair’s Aer Lingus stake (http://www.thejournal.ie/etihad-eyes-ryanairs-aer-lingus-stake-560268-Aug2012/)

BreakingNews.ie: The Journal: Eithad interested in Ryanair's Aer Lingus stake (http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/eithad-interested-in-ryanairs-aer-lingus-stake-563171.html)

dublinaviator
16th Aug 2012, 22:20
Ryanair offer to pull a number of Aer Lingus routes from Dublin to allow in foreign competitors such as British Airways and Virgin in an attempt to win over takeover approval from the European Commission.

Ryanair in talks with EC over Aer Lingus takeover plans - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0816/ryanair-in-talks-with-ec-over-aer-lingus-takeover.html)

Mlinnie
17th Aug 2012, 10:56
Get lost Michael O'Leary :ok:

MCDU2
17th Aug 2012, 13:53
You got to love his cheek. He really has no respect for anyone, be it his customers, the Irish in general or the EU mandarins.

So if successful in his takeover he proposes to pull AL from some routes that they and FR compete on and we are lead to believe that:-

a) BA and VS will come along to bridge the gap
b) if none of the above that there will be a knight in shining white armour that has nothing better to do with its airframes than to send them to Ireland in order to ply short haul routes
c) That FR will play the game and not force them off the routes just like he did when Easy tried doing busy in the ROI

Cloud cuckoo land stuff. And the reason that no one believes any of it is that we can all see through the smoke and mirrors and realise that all FR really wants to do is to take out a competitor and have a monopoly. BA would be more than happy as they can feed in their own aircraft to LHR for longhaul and will scoop up any slots coming available.

PPRuNeUser0176
17th Aug 2012, 16:01
Aer Lingus have restored the third weekly DUB-MCO for summer 2013. This now only leaves a Tue and Thur gap for the Long haul fleet at DUB. Most lightly will be used for maintance etc. This summer there was 1 day left free.

The extra BOS and MCO are bookable but the extra 4 flight to ORD are not and are still in timetable

EI-BUD
18th Aug 2012, 09:32
I was in the very first instance when Fr bought some of EI stock and made it plans known, not overly against the idea. However, now I am. MOL would love to reduce DUB airport to 1 significant customer and hold the state to randsom, so anything that can be done to prevent FR taking over has to be a positive one. FR is great at what it does based on its strategy, which to be fair it has stuck to rigorously.

EI has emerged strongly returning profit when in the vast majority of its markets it is faced with Ryanair competition.

However, take an example and I know this is going to be controversial, Dublin Alicante, the route has less flights than Belfast Alicante, and the prices are huge by comparison, well certainly on dates that I look at. The schedules often are a mirror image especially in winter. The prices dont reflect to me a big lot of competition, and in other markets FR have reduced frequency and this is reflected in both airlines capacity London market (been in decline for FR), Brussels market, Paris market plus a few others.

EISNN
18th Aug 2012, 12:16
Does anyone know what percentage of flights EI had ex DUB before FR became so successful? ie late 80's early 90's.

ryan2000
18th Aug 2012, 13:01
Not sure but they had a huge percentage of flights prior to 1986 and their owners controlled fares and issued route licences. Whatever else happens we can't go back to those days. It used cost up to 400 punts for a day trip to Heathrow which would be about €1,500 in today's money.

peacock1
19th Aug 2012, 20:53
Ir Pounds 400 for a day trip to LHR ?
Who told you that , or did you make it up ?
I went to LHR for a day trip in 1990, to do a CPL medical.
Booked it a week before, cost me IR£120.
Long way from£400, is £120
Ryanair propagandists would have you believe that every
seat in and out of Ireland on Aer Lingus was a rip off.
It wasn't.

EI-BUD
19th Aug 2012, 21:36
Peacock1, if you read the post from Ryan2000, he did say prior to 1986.
You state 1990, which was a whole new world in terms of price. In fact the date u mention is only 2 year before BA axed the route, the price war was well under way with FR offering unrestricted one way fares that Didnt require a Sat night stay. Prior to 1986 the fares were commonly IR£300, with day returns as high as suggested.

This is well documented in many publications when EI and BA had cosy cartel. Google Dublin london route and cartel and you should get some evidence.

MCDU2
20th Aug 2012, 08:28
Whatever the "real" average fare was for 1990 in discounted terms in todays money it is still huge. A quick google search will reveal that wages were incredibly low for the average punter.

Until they solve the problem of Ireland being stuck on an Island then a lack of competition will inevitably result in the fare paying public being at the mercy of FR and the like should a monopoly be allowed to occur.

In present day terms you can see examples of what a monopoly might look like. Flights for the Euro championships priced sky high, flights cancelled and then reinstated at double or more for the Heineken Cup as someone in the back office messed up when preparing the original schedule.

In terms of FR the witholding of his landing fees for months due to a spat with the DAA over floor space in T1 in Dublin a few years back highlighted the nastier side to MOL. The judge in that case said that the actions of FR were "wholly disproportionate". In unfair employment cases the judiciary have even called his management dishonest.

j636
21st Aug 2012, 00:54
Emirates chief rules out buying Aer Lingus stake - The Irish Times - Tue, Aug 21, 2012 (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0821/1224322586243.html)

Some very intresting comments from EK CEO in regaurd to EI.

Mlinnie
22nd Aug 2012, 11:25
Sorry to change the subject but does anyone else like me think that EI moved from BFS to BHD so It would be harder for FR to try and take them over ? (Becasue FR had a base at BHD which Didn't work)
EI seemed happy at BFS with their base, and if FR do take them over (which I doubt will EVER happen considering that nobody wants it to happen other than MOL who in my opinion is just jealous of the success of EI) and if EI stayed at BFS it would've been easier to take over all the routes from BFS (As FR fly to all of them apart from LHR)

irishlad06
22nd Aug 2012, 12:10
i doubt this logic very much, BHD had been on the cards way before FR announced their 3rd bid out of the blue. But i agree in that i can't see FR being allowed to take over EI but never say never

EI-BUD
22nd Aug 2012, 12:11
Mlinnie

I think it is absolutely irrelevant what airport in Belfast AerLingus fly from. Ryanair will not care one bit, as if MOL was in control he would change the venue when it suited him. The same could be said of Airbus fleet, they only have Boeing etc.

Look at Buzz and what happened when it was taken over. Changed radically.

I cant see FR gaining control of EI anytime soon.

EI-BUD

irishlad06
25th Aug 2012, 12:24
Public asked to pin support on Shannon (http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11205:public-asked-to-pin-support-on-shannon&catid=42:transport&Itemid=60)

these politicians honestly dont have a clue sometimes, he asked to go to shannon on a day the JFK - SNN service doesnt operate and he thinks there is still a stopover with EI flights routing through SNN.

dublinaviator
31st Aug 2012, 14:58
CAPA have a good article out today analysing Ryanair's takeover attempts of Aer Lingus for anyone interested:

Ryanair's tenacious quest to acquire Aer Lingus matches the EC's equally tenacious drive to probe | CAPA - Centre for Aviation (http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ryanairs-tenacious-quest-to-acquire-aer-lingus-matches-the-ecs-equally-tenacious-drive-to-probe-81550)

Interestingly it makes the point that although Ryanair would offer concessions on the number of routes Ryanair and Aer Lingus would operate on, Ryanair would be able to offer a huge amount of feeder traffic to Dublin from it's 51 bases if Aer Lingus' transatlantic operation were to be expanded.

brian_dromey
31st Aug 2012, 17:35
It is quite clear that FR would not offer "a huge amount of feeder traffic", why? Because EI is a larger airline than FR out of DUB (even if only just). If they were to "merge" FR would add few truly new city pairs, or catchment areas to the EI network. A true comparison of the new cities added is difficult, because FR often serve similar regions out of different airports. One could probably argue that Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester all cover a similar catchment area, the airports certainly would.
Also, the assumption is made that FR would interline with EI and I dont think that is a safe assumption. Also remember that a lot of FR routes are seasonal and/or only flown a few times a week, which may, or may not make for convenient connections, if these were even allowed in the first place.

ryan2000
31st Aug 2012, 17:43
At present Ryanair do not do baggage transfers etc between connecting flights. Can't see UK passengers having the same confidence in using Dublin as a hub if they've to rely on a point to point style flight to get there and if they're left stranded if they miss their connection.

PPRuNeUser0176
6th Sep 2012, 12:17
Total passengers for August were 1.16 million up 2.2%

Short Haul - 906,000 down 1.2%, capacity down 1.8%, LF84.6 up 1.2
Long Haul - 103,000 up 7.3%, capacity up 4.0%, LF93.2% up 2.4
EI Regional - 107,000 up 35.5%

racedo
6th Sep 2012, 19:00
At present Ryanair do not do baggage transfers etc between connecting flights. Can't see UK passengers having the same confidence in using Dublin as a hub if they've to rely on a point to point style flight to get there and if they're left stranded if they miss their connection.

Given on time flight performance in well into the 90's and cancellations are few and far between then why would you need to worry ???

Love the continuing idea that as soon as FR look at something it automatically gets a "It will never work because they haven't considered X"................Funny thing is if can be thought of by someone not connected to FR, why do you assume it can not be thought of at FR :hmm:

Lord Lardy
6th Sep 2012, 20:04
It's all pretty irrelevant really, unless Ryanair start interconnections on their own network.

dublinaviator
14th Sep 2012, 21:28
Aer Lingus announced as new sponsor of Ulster Rugby:

The Sunday Business Post - Aer Lingus signs Ulster Rugby sponsorship deal (http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/Media+And+Marketing/Aer+Lingus+signs+Ulster+Rugby+sponsorship+deal/id/19410615-5218-5053-44e2-b9f264831626)

EI-BUD
18th Sep 2012, 20:30
Looking at LGW 2013 summer timetable it seems that it is not complete, i.e. it seems that a LGW BHD extra flight had been scheduled for the evening:
1855/2015 LGW BHD
2050/2210 BHD LGW

there is also a return flight to DUB at the same times (5mins diff).

It would appear that the same aircraft is available for this flight. So either the timetable needs to be modified or an extra aircraft is being put into LGW.

The DUB flights are showing as all 320, BHD as 319. So if there is to be a 319 based at LGW there has to be new routes coming. Not extra capacity to DUB as it is already 6 per day.

What about KIR??

EI-BUD

GAZMO
18th Sep 2012, 20:59
From vigin thread it appears that EI is getting two aircraft from Iberia for LGW

EI-BUD
18th Sep 2012, 21:02
Gazmo; I didnt say LGW is getting 2 319s, What I am saying is that EI are getting 2 more 319s from Iberia. That will bring the total to 4. BHD definately has 2, it seems that LGW will see a 319 operate to NOC and it is not the LGW machine, so I am asking the question is LGW Getting 319s?

EI-BUD

BHD2BFS
18th Sep 2012, 21:08
BHD will have a 3rd a319 for the summer and from what I hear they plan to add a 4th in the future

Jamie2k9
18th Sep 2012, 22:04
The plan is to base 2 A319 at LGW next summer. Not sure if there will be new scheduled routes or if it will be increased charters. Could change over the coming weeks though.

brian_dromey
19th Sep 2012, 09:56
Is there a possibility that LGW based A319 would operate The early service to DUB (the remaining DUB services seem to be on DUB based aircraft). The aircraft then seems to operate to NOC and the late evening BHD service. The aircraft seems to fly something like this...

EI 231 LGW 0650 DUB 0810
EI 232 DUB 0850 LGW 1010

EI 911 LGW 1040 NOC 1210
EI 912 NOC 1245 LGW 1415

? EI 815 LGW 1450 ORK 1615
? EI 814 ORK 1655 LGW 1815

EI 29 LGW 1855 BHD 2015
EI 28 BHD 2050 LGW 2210

The timings I have used for EI815/814 are those currently in the EI booking schedule and happen to fit pretty well so it would seem the current plan is to have me flight each to DUB, NOC, ORK and BHD by an LGW aircraft, most likely an A319, although as said earlier this could change.

Incidentally what is the night curfew at BHD, some articles suggest 2130? Hopefully the aircraft won't pick up to many delays thought the day, although NOC and ORK are not especially known for congestion delays!

ryan2000
19th Sep 2012, 15:52
I didn't hear that EI were re-instating Cork Gatwick next Summer.

fjencl
19th Sep 2012, 16:42
Does aerlingus still have a base at LGW.....????

Skipness One Echo
19th Sep 2012, 17:44
I understood the base was closed, is that not correct?

CARNMANORLAD
20th Sep 2012, 13:38
Is there a possibility that LGW based A319 would operate The early service to DUB (the remaining DUB services seem to be on DUB based aircraft). The aircraft then seems to operate to NOC and the late evening BHD service. The aircraft seems to fly something like this...

EI 231 LGW 0650 DUB 0810
EI 232 DUB 0850 LGW 1010

EI 911 LGW 1040 NOC 1210
EI 912 NOC 1245 LGW 1415

? EI 815 LGW 1450 ORK 1615
? EI 814 ORK 1655 LGW 1815

EI 29 LGW 1855 BHD 2015
EI 28 BHD 2050 LGW 2210

The timings I have used for EI815/814 are those currently in the EI booking schedule and happen to fit pretty well so it would seem the current plan is to have me flight each to DUB, NOC, ORK and BHD by an LGW aircraft, most likely an A319, although as said earlier this could change.

Incidentally what is the night curfew at BHD, some articles suggest 2130? Hopefully the aircraft won't pick up to many delays thought the day, although NOC and ORK are not especially known for congestion delays!

Is there any chance that we might see a LDY sector replace the ORK? It seems EI have confirmed ORK has been dropped, looking at the timings there is only room for a shortish sector.

sawtooth
20th Sep 2012, 15:23
Or an evening NOC service? A lot of airport users complaining about times and lack of a late service, particularly weekend commuters. With the current flight moving to mid morning and smaller ac it could be an opportunity for EI to grow the route by offering business/weekend and same-day and connecting options.

dublinaviator
21st Sep 2012, 13:03
Aer Lingus and Air Canada have signed a new interline agreement, and will expand this into a code share agreement in Q1 2013:

Air Canada and Aer Lingus Sign Interline Agreement - Sep 21, 2012 (http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=580)

The Sunday Business Post - Aer Lingus, Air Canada link on tickets (http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Aer+Lingus%2C+Air+Canada+link+on+tickets/id/19410615-5218-505c-3b35-a4bbb6562266)

Also says Aer Lingus will be moving to T2 at Heathrow from early next year.

21st Sep 2012, 14:30
Terminal 1 in Heathrow is due to be demolished in 2014, so a change was inevitable. The open question was whether it would be the new Terminal 2 or Terminal 3 where Aer Lingus ended up.

Mlinnie
21st Sep 2012, 15:14
So Aer Lingus will be starting Dublin-Toronto next year along with Air Canada and Air Transat ?

dublinaviator
21st Sep 2012, 15:39
I wonder when the code share comes into effect, could we see Air Canada moving to T2 at DUB?

Jamie2k9
21st Sep 2012, 21:04
I wonder when the code share comes into effect, could we see Air Canada moving to T2 at DUB?

Its in affect from now. Air Canada offical launch of their new loco carrier takes place in a few weeks and DUB-YYZ will be transfered over for summer 2013 and then flights will contuine year round once they restart. Its about time that DUB had year round to YYZ, its long overdue.

I can't see AC moving to T2 as its full for most of the mornings and there isn't room. Then it could happen but EI may have to move a few short haul flights to Pier B for it to happen.

Shamrock350
21st Sep 2012, 21:37
The code share won't come into effect until both airlines announce it, today was an interline agreement and considered a preliminary step toward a full code sharing deal to be finalised some time next, I'd take a guess in time for the summer schedule. Until that happens no EI codes will appear on AC flights.

I wonder if EI have now ruled out serving Canada themselves or maybe they're looking at another city to operate alongside or complement the AC service to Toronto.