PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus - 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]

EI-A330-300
26th May 2016, 01:08
Current increase in capacity ex DUB planned:

November, December = 38 additional weekly flights (x19 each way)
Newark - Daily
Hartford - 4 Weekly
Los Angeles - 4 Weekly
Chicago - 2 Daily (+4 weekly, 3 B752, 1 A33X)

January, February = 38 additional weekly flights (x19 each way)
Newark - 6 Weekly
Hartford - 4 Weekly
Los Angeles - 3 Weekly
Chicago - 10 Weekly (+3 weekly, 3 B752)
Boston - 10 weekly (+3 weekly)

Quiet impressive growth if it all plays out as things stand...

SFO also going from 5 to 6 weekly for half of winter.

EI Chief said in a recent interview he expects SFO to move to A333 very soon and LAX to go from x4 to daily.

EI-A330-300
10th Jul 2016, 13:18
2017 T/A announcement tomorrow!

ia350
10th Jul 2016, 21:21
I'm thinking miami and what about Vegas ?

VanBosh
10th Jul 2016, 22:00
I'm thinking miami and what about Vegas ?

MIA & DFW I'd say, two big cities and also AA hubs. Rumours of another 757 to give a third route, possibly PHL. Jamie tipping Montreal on another site also.

EI-A330-300
11th Jul 2016, 14:07
Wasn't today but it should be quiet soon. Today Skytrax awarded them 4 star rating and the new J product on T/A was a major part of increasing the rating.

Other 4 star rated carriers are Air France, Emirates, Lufthansa and British Airways

airbourne
12th Jul 2016, 01:24
Was there talk that the 102/103 was going to be kept year round?

What are the loads like on it currently?

PPRuNeUser0176
12th Jul 2016, 10:07
Strong loads but I don't see it changing unless they acquire a fifth B752.

cheesebag
12th Jul 2016, 10:31
Were off to Toronto in October from BHX via DUB... very competitive pricing indeed,

sprite1
13th Jul 2016, 15:49
Enjoy, cheesebag.

Hope the pre-clearance works out for you. In fact, I don't think you'll need it of course.

How much were the flights, by the way?

Cian
13th Jul 2016, 21:41
No preclearance to Canada.

PPRuNeUser0176
14th Jul 2016, 11:08
Aer Lingus adds two A330-300s to its future fleet | Airbus Press release (http://www.airbus.com/newsevents/news-events-single/detail/aer-lingus-adds-two-a330-300s-to-its-future-fleet/)
Aer Lingus is expanding its fleet of A330-300s by two aircraft following a decision to exercise options. The carrier currently operates eight A330s increasing to 10 aircraft in 2016. With the latest decision Aer Lingus’ A330 fleet will grow to 12 aircraft.

PPRuNeUser0176
31st Jul 2016, 13:52
IAG released results on Friday with EI making a €42 million profit during first 6 months as did BA but IB reduced losses on 2015 while VY increases their losses on 2015.

IAG - International Airlines Group - News Release (http://www.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=240949&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2189282)

Just a spotter
5th Aug 2016, 21:27
Story carried by a couple of outlets, including The Irish Independent over the last few days that Willie Walsh has stated EI management are considering A321LR's to increase frequency on T/A routes

IAG 'more ambitious now' for Aer Lingus growth says Willie Walsh - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/iag-more-ambitious-now-for-aer-lingus-growth-says-willie-walsh-34924492.html)

It could also open up new routes from Ireland to Canada & US.

JAS

alserire
6th Aug 2016, 10:50
Story carried by a couple of outlets, including The Irish Independent over the last few days that Willie Walsh has stated EI management are considering A321LR's to increase frequency on T/A routes

IAG 'more ambitious now' for Aer Lingus growth says Willie Walsh - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/iag-more-ambitious-now-for-aer-lingus-growth-says-willie-walsh-34924492.html)

It could also open up new routes from Ireland to Canada & US.

JAS

Wouldn't fancy narrowbody to the US. No room to move.

Skipness One Echo
6th Aug 2016, 12:06
God, just imagine the disastrous PR if someone put a narrow body on the North Atlantic, the B757 say? Would never work (!)

Compare that to a BA B787-8 in Economy (worst ever) or a nine abreast B777!

rutankrd
6th Aug 2016, 14:02
Wouldn't fancy narrowbody to the US. No room to move

Tosh give me a single aisle and reasonable sized seat any day.

Far fewer bodies invading my limited space than any twin aisle !

Try a BA 788 in J pay for the privilege of a bath chair yet half are reverse and want to get up to the loo you have about 6" gap and your neighbours feet to get past !

alserire
6th Aug 2016, 14:40
Wouldn't fancy narrowbody to the US. No room to move

Tosh give me a single aisle and reasonable sized seat any day.

Far fewer bodies invading my limited space than any twin aisle !

Try a BA 788 in J pay for the privilege of a bath chair yet half are reverse and want to get up to the loo you have about 6" gap and your neighbours feet to get past !

EI J Class much better than BA. But whatever floats your boat. I'd prefer a wide body on a long flight.

rutankrd
6th Aug 2016, 15:36
EI J Class much better than BA. But whatever floats your boat. I'd prefer a wide body on a long flight.

But why ?

What are your considerations because you realise the twin aisles are actually about moving a multitude in relatively short tube lengths.

This theres more personal space is simply rubbish !

With seat back IFE even the cinema benefits are declining .

And crew ratio is appalling on those larger planes especially in the back.

Really only thing that is a truism with twin aisles are that the aircraft tend to be more stable in adverse weather I suppose.

I'll also add perhaps its a generational thing to some extent many 20-40 year olds have grown up with expecting twin aisle on longer sectors.

Whereas the elders will have experienced the 707/DC8 or VC10 if they were financially able to travel longer haul.

All had very comfortable seats and that's the point.

Noxegon
6th Aug 2016, 17:31
I've found A330 transatlantics tend to be quite a lot quieter than B757, though that's probably the age of the aircraft...

Shamrogue
7th Aug 2016, 10:34
On a recent 757 out of SNN I found the whole experience to be excellent. Seats seemed as comfy as those on the 330, cabin service was AOK. Slept like a log on the way home. So I don't see where people get excited about one aircraft over the other. All the twin aisle seems to do is let people walk around during the flight to stretch legs etc.

Shamrogue

alserire
7th Aug 2016, 11:08
More space to walk around. More toilets!! A feeling of more space even if you don't appear to have it. They do appear more stable. It's a preference. Sorry that it's upset some of you so much ;). And I'm long past forty!

owenc
7th Aug 2016, 11:26
Wouldn't fancy narrowbody to the US. No room to move.

10 transatlantic flights from Dublin yesterday were narrowbody.

owenc
7th Aug 2016, 11:29

Dublin to Boston/Montreal is only 6 hours, a prime example of a suitable narrowbody flight.

canberra97
7th Aug 2016, 16:58
owenc

Now it seems your a fan of narrow bodies across the Atlantic, you have certainly changed your tune from previous posts on here and A.Net!

CabinCrewe
7th Aug 2016, 17:11
you need a chill pill

alserire
7th Aug 2016, 20:53
10 transatlantic flights from Dublin yesterday were narrowbody.

Fortunately we have excellent choice here in Dublin ;)

seafire6b
7th Aug 2016, 22:47
I’d originally planned to post this on another thread: “I usually fly business class”, but I don’t - so didn’t want to cause thread-drift! Also, lately following this thread more than previously, I thought it might be more pertinent to you guys.

Mrs Seafire and I quite regularly travel from GLA to Fort Lauderdale, more recently flying BA’s WT+ to MIA and then driving the 45mins north. That’s after trying various other MIA & MCO route permutations, but once including Icelandair to SFB and the standard 3hr+ drive south from ORL to FLL. Also used Virgin’s PE to both MIA and MCO which was initially okay, but their onboard service rapidly deteriorated to our “no-fly” list! So we then kind of settled on BA WT+ to MIA.

However, we’ve noticed that BA’s WT+ service is also now steadily slipping downwards and upon checking their website, saw their fares were moving in the opposite direction! So come the time to plan next month’s trip, and partly as a result of me lurking on this thread(!), I looked at EI’s website and was very happily surprised - the EI full Business Class fare to MCO was significantly less than BA’s WT+ to MIA. That, plus a lie-flat seat, enhanced cabin service and the great advantage of pre-clearance into the USA. The hike at MIA from the aircraft is bad enough, but followed by the lengthy queue at US Immigration and then its twin at US Customs - not what you need after a 9hr transatlantic flight. Also, I haven’t yet told Mrs Seafire we’ll now each get 3x 23k bags (2x 23k on BA); that’s going to cost me in shopping terms before our trip back home!

So now we’re booked to fly EI’s J class GLA/DUB/MCO next month. Mrs has the aisle seats but of course, I’ve bagged the windows - we’re both looking forward to it. Sssh, don’t tell Mister Walsh, probably better if IAG don’t know their airlines are competing with each other from the UK to Florida. Anyway, this thread’s a good read and useful too - thank you!

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Aug 2016, 23:17
However, we’d noticed that BA’s WT+ service is now also going downhill and upon checking their website, saw their fares were moving in the opposite direction. So come the time to plan next month’s trip, and partly as a result of me lurking on this thread(!), I looked at EI’s website and was very happily surprised - the EI full Business Class fare to MCO was significantly less than BA’s WT+ to MIA. That, plus a lie-flat seat, an enhanced cabin service and the great advantage of pre-clearance into the USA. The hike at MIA from the aircraft is bad enough, but followed by the lengthy queue at US Immigration and then its twin at US Customs - not what you need after a 9hr transatlantic flight. Also, I haven’t yet told Mrs Seafire we’ll now each get 3x 23k bags (2x 23k on BA); that’s going to cost me in shopping terms before our trip back home!

So now we’re booked to fly EI’s J class GLA/DUB/MCO next month. Mrs has the aisle seats but of course, I’ve bagged the windows - we’re both looking forward to it. Sssh, don’t tell Mister Walsh, probably better if IAG don’t know their airlines are competing with each other from the UK to Florida. Anyway, this thread’s a good read and useful too - thank you!

You will always get excellent J fares to MCO as they are priced more less the same as JFK/BOS despite the longer distance.

MIA also going to be an option next summer.

seafire6b
7th Aug 2016, 23:40
MIA also going to be an option next summer

Thanks EI-EIDW, that could be v.good news. In fact, now I seem to recollect looking at EI to MCO last year, but there was no return flight in November? I might well be wrong there though.

Incidentally, I'm guessing it'll be an A332 across the pond, but would you know what (EI-Stobart Air) ATR type runs GLA-DUB, 42 or 72, or does it vary? Like most airlines' websites, not too much specific regarding aircraft types!

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Aug 2016, 23:52
Thanks EI-EIDW, that could be v.good news. In fact, now I seem to recollect looking at EI to MCO last year, but there was no return flight in November? I might well be wrong there though.

Incidentally, I'm guessing it'll be an A332 across the pond, but would you know what (EI-Stobart Air) ATR type runs GLA-DUB, 42 or 72, or does it vary? Like most airlines' websites, not too much specific regarding aircraft types!

GLA-DUB will be 72-600
DUB-MCO planned 200 on Tue/Thur and 300 on Sat for whole month. 300 will be taking over majority of flights in the coming months.

As for November there would of been return flights but old EI website may of offered up connections ahead of it.

J customers also get access to the new lounge in the US area.

seafire6b
8th Aug 2016, 00:07
Got it thanks, for the Seafires x 2 it's going to be 72-600 and A332 in both directions. That'll be two "firsts" on one trip. Think my last turbo-prop flight was an FH-227 in Brazil, well back in the last millennium!

Thanks for your all good info.

Edit: No, it was an American Eagle Saab 340 TPA-MIA early this millennium!

j636
16th Aug 2016, 01:15
seafire6b - It's a pretty easy transit airport and quick.
____
EI are giving DY a run on LGW-JFK traffic, college got two return trips with the EI Low v DY Low Plus (same but extra kg with EI) saving £100 and £30 in December and March. They are not extremes they are repeated across the winter season.

LGW-JFK must be DY's money spinner as they were charging the exact same fares for LGW-LAX. Wonder if BA returning has allowed them to push fares up as they are more less matched.

seafire6b
16th Aug 2016, 11:24
j636 - the march of the Vikings, eh?

From my first post on this thread, you might've seen my ultimate Florida destination from GLA is Fort Lauderdale. Must admit that DY's LGW/FLL service has previously aroused my passing curiosity - as did Zoom's in years gone by - but changing airlines en-route gives me caution. In the event of flight delays or cancellations, I'd prefer such to remain the airline's problem, not mine!

That's not to mention also avoiding lugging Mrs Seafire's extensive baggage around at transfer points! After deciding to bypass BA this time, we're both happy to have chosen EI. It seems win/win all the way: much enhanced EI J service over BA's WT+, increased baggage allowance, lounge access, pre-clearance into the USA (a fantastic plus!), significant fare cost-savings and finally, no Heathrow Zoo - despite having access to BA's T5 lounge there. Good choice Seafire!

Una Due Tfc
16th Aug 2016, 11:39
j636 - the march of the Vikings, eh?

From my first post on this thread, you might've seen my ultimate Florida destination from GLA is Fort Lauderdale. Must admit that DY's LGW/FLL service has previously aroused my passing curiosity - as did Zoom's in years gone by - but changing airlines en-route gives me caution. In the event of flight delays or cancellations, I'd prefer such to remain the airline's problem, not mine!

That's not to mention also avoiding lugging Mrs Seafire's extensive baggage around at transfer points! After deciding to bypass BA this time, we're both happy to have chosen EI. It seems win/win all the way: much enhanced EI J service over BA's WT+, increased baggage allowance, lounge access, pre-clearance into the USA (a fantastic plus!), significant fare cost-savings and finally, no Heathrow Zoo - despite having access to BA's T5 lounge there. Good choice Seafire!

You'll also have access to the lounge in DUB on the way back, so have some fresh clothes in your hand luggage so you can use the showers.

3 x 23kg bags each to fill, best of luck with that!

I find EI's J smashes BA's (Club world?)

riptack
19th Aug 2016, 12:53
Are EI joining ONEWORLD any time soon? And if so will they allow BA exec club members to jump over?

EI-A330-300
19th Aug 2016, 13:52
They are but no time frame but probally sometime in 2017.

Not sure if this will be any help in the meantime when they launch AerClub lather this year.

Can I merge my BA Executive Club Account, Avios Account or Iberia Plus with my AerClub Account or transfer my Avios points between them?

If you have an existing Avios account, British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Plus or AerClub accounts, you can use the 'Combine my Avios' feature to combine your Avios points into one account or transfer Avios points between your accounts. To transfer Avios points please visit Anything can fly with avios.com | Home | Avios (http://www.avios.com)

riptack
19th Aug 2016, 14:55
Thanks EI-A330-300 , I figured they would let us mile merge but not status merge.

alserire
25th Aug 2016, 11:11
Anyone know when the full EI summer timetable for 2017 is likely to be published. Beginning to think about planning next year's travels 😁

EI-A330-300
31st Aug 2016, 23:05
Anyone know when the full EI summer timetable for 2017 is likely to be published. Beginning to think about planning next year's travels ��

Over next few weeks, a lot on sale now.
-----
New A333 just arrived in DUB at 00.00, starts service in morning.

EI-A330-300
1st Sep 2016, 18:28
EWR launched with a 92% load including over 100 connections from:
Abu Dhabi
Barcelona
Birmingham
Brussels
Edinburgh
Hamburg
Isle of Man
Liverpool
London LHR/LGW
Newcastle
Manchester
Paris

alserire
2nd Sep 2016, 21:57
Thanks. Much appreciated.

heidelberg
6th Sep 2016, 11:15
I got the new Passport Card (Credit card size) issued to Irish citizens recently.
I encountered two problems.

1. Aer Lingus does not allow one use it online where API is required.
I phoned AL and they told me the number on Passport book is the only one
accepted.

2. Schiphol auto recognition Passport booths (at immigration control) do not accept the Passport card - only Passport book.
I had to get in rather lengthy queue for Immigration officer do the usual check.

3. I had no problem using the Passport Card during the boarding process.

Séamus

PPRuNeUser0176
12th Sep 2016, 15:03
Mike Rutter, Aer Lingus’s chief operating officer, said it had shaved seven minutes off average boarding times by “simplifying” how it does it. And having traditionally lagged Ryanair on punctuality, Aer Lingus has landed ahead of the short-haul pack at Dublin for each of the first eight months of 2016 – “a complete reversal” of its earlier record.

Aer Lingus smartens service for ?guests? ? just don't be late (http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-smartens-service-for-guests-just-don-t-be-late-1.2787494)

Quiet a transformation compared to last year.....FR letting OTP slide!

Charlie Roy
12th Sep 2016, 16:46
Yes, well done for changing the boarding process, to no longer have it by seat row, that's a huge improvement! :ok:

The airline, which is in growth mode, hoped to retain a four-star rating awarded by air travel review site Skytrax, as well as live up to the message of recent advertising campaigns, Mr Rutter said.

However, I doubt they'll be maintaining the 4 stars. On recent trips I noticed that the cabin interior was dirty/messy (had not been cleaned). I sent photos to Aer Lingus and they replied: "We have recently made some changes to our aircraft cleaning processes due to the short turnaround times on our short haul routes. Therefore, it is with regret to learn of the condition of your assigned seating area on board both these flight services."

In other words, increased punctuality has come at the expense of cleanliness, so I think they can forget about their "hope" to retain their four-star rating.

Shamrock350
12th Sep 2016, 17:53
Cleaning at outstations was removed earlier this year, before Sky Trax did their "audit" of the airline so it appears Aer Lingjs got away with it that time!

PPRuNeUser0176
12th Sep 2016, 18:12
On the few flights I have taking since the change only one was a little dirty, the rest are clean.

If only they could control the type of passengers they let on board :)

PPRuNeUser0176
13th Sep 2016, 00:40
BA/EI have extended the code share to mainland Europe very recently covering all major hubs/cities outside a few Med routes.

Should bring a boost for T/A as connections are displayed and prices between EI/BA/IB are more less identical.

20th Sep 2016, 10:09
What is the story with the codeshare on BA routes to South Africa?

They appear on the website, but whichever airport you select in Ireland, there don't seem to be flights available.

mik3bravo
21st Sep 2016, 16:48
I was in and out of Malaga a few times recently and notice Shamrock A330 there twice! Easily recognisable in size compared to the low cost A320/B738 a/c on ramp. Surprised to see it, capacity must be in demand?

AerRyan
21st Sep 2016, 16:49
A330 goes to Malaga all the time during the summer! Been like that for years now!

mik3bravo
21st Sep 2016, 16:54
A330 goes to Malaga all the time during the summer! Been like that for years now!

Well I never :)
EI-DAA

EI-A330-300
21st Sep 2016, 17:30
Indeed daily April-October to AGP, two down in AGP together on Sundays in Sep/early Oct this year. FAO twice weekly May-September. Nice served in previous years.

Una Due Tfc
21st Sep 2016, 17:46
Indeed daily April-October to AGP, two down in AGP together on Sundays in Sep/early Oct this year. FAO twice weekly May-September. Nice served in previous years.

With possibly as many as 12 in the fleet next summer they may start popping up in other European locations. FCO, BCN and CDG seem to get quite a few transfers for EI.

Jamie2k9
21st Sep 2016, 20:09
With possibly as many as 12 in the fleet next summer they may start popping up in other European locations. FCO, BCN and CDG seem to get quite a few transfers for EI.

There would still really only be 2 frames free to do Euro services in between. I expect FAO may see some extra flights and free up the A321 in the mornings but that's it. Rome is way to risky to send an A330, they are after getting FCO sorted this summer and I expect they won't go upsetting that. They have at times added a second morning flight out to cope and I think that's more likely than an A330 service.

ia350
21st Sep 2016, 21:49
I've used the Verona route a few times this year and it's been near to full everytime , must be taking a good few passengers off the Milan routes for lake garda and como and they've had the a321 on it too .

EI-A330-300
22nd Sep 2016, 00:05
I've used the Verona route a few times this year and it's been near to full everytime , must be taking a good few passengers off the Milan routes for lake garda and como and they've had the a321 on it too .

Anywhere in Italy is completely packed, to few A321
_____

Notice EI have started another round of events in the UK promoting US routes. They were in MAN and BHX earlier this week.

Just a spotter
28th Sep 2016, 18:27
The service between DUB and Bradley International started today.

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/781128404556976129

JAS

dochealth
28th Sep 2016, 23:21
Tried to book Dub- Nice for January this evening. Looks like service dropped from Nov to late Feb.
Surprised not kept at 2/3 weekly as load factors respectable in previous winters.
Any particular reason for this?

EI-A330-300
30th Sep 2016, 21:50
anna.aero fly on the launch from BHX. Not sure about in bound load was sold out.

anna.aero joins in Hartford BDL?s BDL (Big Dublin Launch) (http://www.anna.aero/2016/09/30/anna-aero-flies-aer-lingus-share-hartford-bdls-bdl-big-dublin-launch/)
______

Loads to NCE may be good in Dec-mid Feb but yield probally isn't hence the cut back.

funfinn2000
2nd Oct 2016, 16:00
any news on the DUB to DOH? it would be great to get a direct flight home from the sand pit.

WHBM
3rd Oct 2016, 09:54
Some of OneWorld seem to think Nice is just a summer leisure destination, the BA service from London City is similarly ended over the winter, which inconveniences us for business traffic. There is a lot of international IT presence behind the Riviera now, and the film industry, not just the stars but myriad support services, all seem to add a good load when the services are running. There are also a significant number of international trade shows there, almost all out of season. Marseilles used to be the French commercial centre on the Mediterranean, but is slowly losing it to Nice. The number of BA services from Nice to LHR/LGW all through the winter is a bit of a clue as well.

inOban
3rd Oct 2016, 10:48
A hundred years ago Nice was purely a winter destination. Nobody was insane enough to visit the heat of the summer.

seafire6b
5th Oct 2016, 22:24

Time to share my update. Had a very good experience with EI Business Class at the end of last month GLA-DUB-MCO, which knocked BA's WT+ into a cocked hat! The scheduled 90mins at DUB was just time enough for a quick drink (although not at the EI Lounge, Mrs SF was browsing the shops...), grab some duty free and only 10mins to pre-clear into the USA - the latter being solid value on its own!

Boarded the flight to MCO and was impressed all round. A very open "feel" to the cabin, excellent & spacious seating, good flight attendants, menus and big-screen IFE. Thanks guys, I'm sold, there'll definitely be no looking back to BA's WT+ product.

Now enjoying our holiday in south Florida, but will have to "hunker down" tomorrow - the locals keep saying that someone called Matthew is going to "breeze by" on Friday!

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Oct 2016, 13:13
Anyone know if the aircraft in MCO was damaged after equipment fire when been loaded. Flight was cancelled afterwards.

EISNN
7th Oct 2016, 13:59
@EIDW are you saying that cargo being loaded onto the aircraft went on fire or that the loading equipment went on fire?

EI-A330-300
7th Oct 2016, 14:08
Will be grounded until some work is carried out.

EISNN loading equipment caught fire, two handlers hospitalised. Aircraft was been unloaded.

bnt
7th Oct 2016, 14:23
Irish Times (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/aer-lingus-plane-grounded-after-fire-at-orlando-airport-1.2820720) are calling it a "suspected oil pipe malfunction". No mention of whether the plane is damaged, and Orlando is closed to flights because of the hurricane.

EI-A330-300
7th Oct 2016, 14:30
Repairs are needed before it goes anywhere.

Una Due Tfc
7th Oct 2016, 15:23
With FNH now in service do they have the spare capacity or will they need to hire in an Omni?

EI-A330-300
7th Oct 2016, 15:50
They have spare aircraft on Saturday and Tuesday so hire in or cancellation. Not sure how long it will be out of action but think it wont be to long.

They had a week with FNH spare but that ended on Thursday, same day this happened.

----

20 October for possible route announcement, today they announced 200 cabin crew jobs in Dublin next summer.

Cyrano
7th Oct 2016, 16:49
Irish Times (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/aer-lingus-plane-grounded-after-fire-at-orlando-airport-1.2820720) are calling it a "suspected oil pipe malfunction". No mention of whether the plane is damaged, and Orlando is closed to flights because of the hurricane.

Yes, and the Irish Times are illustrating it with a photo of Aer Lingus 737s and 146s from 2002... :ugh:

EI-A330-300
9th Oct 2016, 00:33
With FNH now in service do they have the spare capacity or will they need to hire in an Omni?

Omni arrived on Saturday operating inbound BOS-DUB leg on Friday and will stay for a while.

firstchoice7e7
12th Oct 2016, 06:04
Theres a dramatic picture of the A330 fire on Facebook posted by 'Live from the flight deck' user.

All names taken
12th Oct 2016, 11:15
One airline - one route - two standards of service
I find it unacceptable that on a route like MAN-DUB, which I have been flying for decades that a standard cabin bag is ok ....or not ok depending on the luck of the draw. It's good luck when your flight is op by Aer Lingus and bad luck when you find it is not operated by Aer Lingus but by another airline pretending to be Aer Lingus.

The difference is that the cuckoo airline's cabin bag allowance means you will almost always end up paying for an extra bag to go in the hold.

Summary:

Aer Lingus = bring your normal cabin bag, cheaper flight, no queuing to drop the bag, quicker and quieter flight

Stobart = find another miniscule bag to take on board, pack another bag(that you didn't really want to bring anyway) pay more for bringing the bag you didn't want to bring, waste more time at the airport dropping off said bag, a slower flight, a noisier flight at greater overall cost.

Ryanair is a more reliable product than the Stobart lottery.

EI-A330-300
12th Oct 2016, 11:29
Is the "operated by Stobart Air" at time of booking not clear.

I do agree about the baggage situation, quiet annoying but I have rarely seen it enforced.

airnoc
12th Oct 2016, 12:11
Aer Lingus Regional in IWAK today any news?
Ps Was quicker to fly that send a FAX

waffler
12th Oct 2016, 16:18
What are you talking about ?

AerRyan
12th Oct 2016, 16:22
The stobart was only there doing pilot training, 8 landings 8 takeoffs (in the form of touch and go's).

No news for NOC.

Just a spotter
12th Oct 2016, 18:46
Theres a dramatic picture of the A330 fire on Facebook posted by 'Live from the flight deck' user.

Two photos, one during and one after the event, on this report

Pictures show dramatic fire that grounded Aer Lingus plane | BreakingNews.ie (http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/pictures-show-dramatic-fire-that-grounded-aer-lingus-plane-759046.html)

Maybe they'll fix the wonky shamrock on the tail while it's in for repair.

JAS

Waldo1
13th Oct 2016, 12:25
Anyone know if and when aer lingus might put ailcante on sale for summer 2017 from BHD? thanks

mart901
15th Oct 2016, 06:36
Believe its coming back not sure when on sale but this month looks like, schedule not finalized

EI-A330-300
15th Oct 2016, 15:35
DUO arrived back from MCO this morning (no in serve yet) but FNG will now be out of action in BOS until Tuesday/Wednesday awaiting new engine after multiple bird strikes yesterday.

So down 2 aircraft, SNN 752 has been subbing at DUB since DUO but now Hi-Fly operating.

Anyone know if and when aer lingus might put ailcante on sale for summer 2017 from BHD? thanks

By end of month at latest I expect.

Una Due Tfc
15th Oct 2016, 15:37
What happened to FNH? It's only been in service for 10 days right?

EI-A330-300
15th Oct 2016, 15:40
Edited above post.

BFS BHD
15th Oct 2016, 16:10
Looks like its EI-FNG not EI-FNH that got the bird strike in BOS.

mart901
15th Oct 2016, 16:16
EI-A330-300

I heard by end of month also, PMI, ALC + anything else you reckon?

EI-A330-300
15th Oct 2016, 16:20
EI-A330-300

I heard by end of month also, PMI, ALC + anything else you reckon?

Nothing else.

Looks like its EI-FNG not EI-FNH that got the bird strike in BOS.

Indeed and I even checked twice to not be confused and still managed to get it wrong!

mart901
15th Oct 2016, 18:06
Third seasonal based a/c ??

EI-A330-300
15th Oct 2016, 21:00
Third seasonal based a/c ??

No sure how they plan to operate but both routes will be operating next summer.

mart901
15th Oct 2016, 21:40
This is what I heard

Just a spotter
18th Oct 2016, 11:07
Completely out of idle curiosity;

i) Any indication of when EI-FNG will return to service (do EI own or lease the engines?)

ii) what's the latest on EI-DUO now that she's back in DUB. How extensive is the damage and how long before she's back in operation?

JAS

waffler
18th Oct 2016, 15:18
EI-FNG is due to operate the afternoon JFK on Thursday.
Not sure about EI-DUO.

j636
19th Oct 2016, 12:27
Are the LGW ones still going and where do they operate to these days.

Jamie2k9
19th Oct 2016, 13:04
Are the LGW ones still going and where do they operate to these days.

Geneva - Gatwick (x1)
Grenoble - Gatwick (x1)*
Lyon - Gatwick (x2)
Reykjavik - Dublin
Salzburg - Belfast City (x1)*, Cork (x1), Dublin (x2)
Toulouse - Dublin (x2)
Verona - Belfast City (x1), Dublin (x1)

* Additions

Rovaniemi has a a few once off services to DUB/ORK

dochealth
19th Oct 2016, 23:17
I see SNN to JFK disrupted Wed, Thursday and Friday again this week. What's the problem this time? Due to travel on EI 111 next week...what are my chances?

EI-BUD
22nd Oct 2016, 13:14
A Croatian news paper has reported that Croatian Airlines will sell its 9 weekly slot pairs at LHR , the article suggests that Aer Lingus could be the buyer.

EISNN
22nd Oct 2016, 16:00
Aer Lingus or IAG? Surely EI don't get to make purchases or financial decisions as big as those any more without consulting the main shareholder?

EI-BUD
22nd Oct 2016, 16:52
I'd have thought so EISNN but it referred to EI...

http://www.total-croatia-news.com/item/14558-croatia-airlines-to-no-longer-fly-into-london-heathrow

Una Due Tfc
22nd Oct 2016, 17:43
There's all kinds of restrictions on BA aquiring new slots at LHR, EI getting them, using them for a required minimum period (3 years IIRC) and then giving them to BA might be away around these restrictions. Just a thought.

nguba
22nd Oct 2016, 17:47
There are no restrictions on BA buying more slots at LHR. The only restrictions are on it making slots available to new entrants under the terms of IAG's purchase of bmi and the AA/BA joint-venture.

As for EI buying slots, it would need approval of IAG but IAG itself would not buy the slots as it is a management/holding company not an airline.

PPRuNeUser0176
22nd Oct 2016, 19:49
I can't see IAG doing anything but approving the purchase. EI have leased them out before and made a lot of cash so if they have no work they could do the same again but I suspect they have something planned if they do purchase them.

Anyone know the times Croatian have them at?

EI-BUD
23rd Oct 2016, 08:37
Just had look there, based on S16 the following times were broadly in place:

Mon - 1700
Tue - 1050
Wed - 1150, 1700
Thurs - 1050
Fri - 1700
Sat - 1050, 1640
Sun - 1050

EI-BUD

brian_dromey
23rd Oct 2016, 09:17
Those slots are clearly less attractive for long haul arrivals, the turns are too short for long haul too. IAG can reshuffle the decks between BA, IB, EI and VG to get optimal scheduling across long, short haul, over the Irish Sea and LCC operations. No-one else at LHR can do that.
DUB, ORK, SNN and BHD all have service around the time of the Croatia slots. I presume Croatia operate from T2, as EI do?

Looking at the slots Croatia are looking to sell a hypothetical NOC schedule could look something like:
NOC 0830 LHR 1000 -234-67
LHR 1050 NOC 1220 -234-67

NOC 1745 LHR 1915 1-3-56-
LHR 2000 NOC 2130 1-3-56-

The time of the slots necessitates a NOC based/overnighting aircraft, unless EI were to do some serious shuffling. They might be able to get flights from LHR on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Sundays around 2200, when the last ORK flight departs. LHR is relatively quiet at that time of the day.

The question is what EI would do with an aircraft in the middle of the day, either leave it sitting at NOC or try some new routes. Do they muscle in on flyBe to the UK, continue with LGW service or try the likes of Paris, etc. Clearly NOC-LGW works for EI, its about all thats left of the LGW experiment. The EI service to LGW is the only service from the west of Ireland to South London. Would the traffic follow EI around the M25? Against this, they have never tried twice daily, as far as I remember.

EI-A330-300
23rd Oct 2016, 13:02
Travel Extra report Miami and Dallas will be announced on 4 November (investor day).

Brian

That 08.30 service could well be used to fill the gap ex DUB in schedules, 07.30 and 09.40 and an extra evening would be no problem.

I don't think NOC is high yielding enough maintain a LhR service.

brian_dromey
23rd Oct 2016, 17:07
Brian

That 08.30 service could well be used to fill the gap ex DUB in schedules, 07.30 and 09.40 and an extra evening would be no problem.

I don't think NOC is high yielding enough maintain a LhR service.

As I suggested, I do wonder if LHR-NOC is likely or viable. That said BA do have a service at 0845 ex DUB, depending on how closely the two airlines work together in the future this may be enough. Between them they offer 16 flights in each direction between Heathrow and Dublin. The question is if they need to offer 18? They might!

EI-A330-300
23rd Oct 2016, 18:08
As I suggested, I do wonder if LHR-NOC is likely or viable. That said BA do have a service at 0845 ex DUB, depending on how closely the two airlines work together in the future this may be enough. Between them they offer 16 flights in each direction between Heathrow and Dublin. The question is if they need to offer 18? They might!

They actually both fly up to 21 daily at the minute. LHR will always fill capacity as for many its the prefered London airport.

You often hear speculation thst EI will fly the A330 to LHR in the mornings however I don't see it happening.

I just don't see NOC as high yielding for LHR service. Would be really suprised if they got such s service which would be massive for the airport.

Guess time will tell if they get the slots!

Noxegon
23rd Oct 2016, 20:51
The Shannon thing made the Times today:
Craft shortage blamed for Aer Lingus cancellations (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/craft-shortage-blamed-for-aer-lingus-cancellations-1.2840539)

AerRyan
23rd Oct 2016, 23:09
The disadvantages of a small short haul fleet.

Una Due Tfc
24th Oct 2016, 02:22
There are no restrictions on BA buying more slots at LHR. The only restrictions are on it making slots available to new entrants

I assume you're referring to the 50/50 rule affecting new slots? I.E.new slots are allocated 50% to existing carriers and 50% to new entrants?

EI-A330-300
29th Oct 2016, 17:26
IAG released Q3 results yesterday and while nothing specific to EI they stated EI's operating margin was 29.7% over the period (BA 18.6%, VU 17.4%, IB 15.9%)

In terms of OW on track for 2017 and this on JV:

Mr Walsh also said that negotiations that will see Aer Lingus join a joint venture that includes British Airways and American Airlines and operates across the North Atlantic, are "progressing well". The joint venture sees American and British Airways share revenue.

The model helps them to deepen their network penetration, and coordinate schedules and pricing.

Mr Walsh said Aer Lingus will initially do more code-sharing with American before joining the venture.

"Then it's how we bring them [Aer Lingus] into the joint business," he said.

"Aer Lingus is unique in terms of how it operates and can operate on the transatlantic, and therefore we need to ensure that flexibility is retained and not in any way inhibited by being part of the joint business.

"We don't want a straitjacket placed on Aer Lingus," the chief executive said.

Mr Walsh said that American previously "didn't fully understand the Aer Lingus model", and that it now "better understands" the opportunity that Aer Lingus presents, both as a standalone entity and as part of an alliance.

'Impressive' summer for Aer Lingus but sterling weighs on IAG parent - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/impressive-summer-for-aer-lingus-but-sterling-weighs-on-iag-parent-35171182.html)

akerosid
29th Oct 2016, 20:16
A few weeks back, I checked the attached A350 production list and the first Aer Lingus aircraft was listed at about LN 198 or so. The latest list, attached, does not show it, or any EI aircraft ...

https://sites.google.com/site/a350xwbproduction/production-list

There was a rumour that they were going to have these reassigned to IB, although IB's first and second 350 are showing on this list. There had been rumours that EI's 350s were being reassigned by EI, but I wasn't sure if these were accurate.

Does anyone know what the current position is; are they sticking with 330s for now? If so, it is quite disappointing, given all that we've heard about growing EI and the hub at DUB; as fine an aircraft as the 330 undoubtedly is, it's still the same capacity aircraft being used for 20+ years on key routes.

Dontgothere
29th Oct 2016, 21:41
Is it that disappointing they're dropping the A359? By my reckoning, they will probably go to an A333 and A339 combo, but have more aircraft than they would have had with the A359. Henceforth they would have more frequency and capacity overall, and it'd keep more people employed.

I appreciate the sentiment of feeling as if there's no progress in terms of equipment, but I feel that bolstering the A333/A339 fleet would be better for numbers and the economy in general. Plus, the A359 is probably too much plane for EI in the winters, whereas the A339 would probably suit them very well indeed and maybe even the A338 if they were feeling bold enough to go to the far east, or Hawaii (purely theoretical, pie in the sky etc.).

EI-A330-300
2nd Nov 2016, 16:39
IAG have announced wifi on short haul fleets will start to roll out from late next year. Will be great to have it on short haul.

-----

Post on another site suggests EI may be getting 11 A321 NEO plus additional A333 instead of the A350s.

irishair2001
3rd Nov 2016, 06:12
Can I ask which site ?

Dontgothere
3rd Nov 2016, 10:09
It originated on boards.

Epsomdog
5th Nov 2016, 17:50
Those slots are clearly less attractive for long haul arrivals, the turns are too short for long haul too. IAG can reshuffle the decks between BA, IB, EI and VG to get optimal scheduling across long, short haul, over the Irish Sea and LCC operations. No-one else at LHR can do that.
DUB, ORK, SNN and BHD all have service around the time of the Croatia slots. I presume Croatia operate from T2, as EI do?

Looking at the slots Croatia are looking to sell a hypothetical NOC schedule could look something like:

The time of the slots necessitates a NOC based/overnighting aircraft, unless EI were to do some serious shuffling. They might be able to get flights from LHR on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Sundays around 2200, when the last ORK flight departs. LHR is relatively quiet at that time of the day.

The question is what EI would do with an aircraft in the middle of the day, either leave it sitting at NOC or try some new routes. Do they muscle in on flyBe to the UK, continue with LGW service or try the likes of Paris, etc. Clearly NOC-LGW works for EI, its about all thats left of the LGW experiment. The EI service to LGW is the only service from the west of Ireland to South London. Would the traffic follow EI around the M25? Against this, they have never tried twice daily, as far as I remember.

I can't imagine anyone in IAG eyeing up those slots, and then wasting them on a Knock service! They're far too valuable for that! What they can do is allow Aer Lingus to use them to fly some of the LHR Ireland routes for BA, thus freeing up the BA Slots for longhaul. That's where the big money is!

There are currently no tech handling services at Knock for the A320, so if EI mainline were to operate the route, they would have to set up a tech base! EI may dip their toe in the water, using Stobart at some time in the future but I suspect that would be very seasonal.

You suggest LHR is relatively quiet late at night! Trust me it's not! Access roads are bumper to bumper, with traffic dropping off pax. Also queues of A380's at the holding point, all Asia bound (SYD,MEL,PER,BNE,SIN,HGK,BKK, to name just a few).

canberra97
5th Nov 2016, 18:15
There are no queues of A380's at the holding point bound for either BNE or PER as there are no direct flights from LHR to either of those destinations and but there are 380's to the other destinations you mentioned plus AUH, DOH and DXB.

By the way only three of your mentioned destinations are actually in ASIA.

Epsomdog
5th Nov 2016, 18:34
Not sure anyone flys to Aus direct, most flights are via Asia, SIN,HGK,BKK, plus some via the Middle East. But let's not be pedantic about it, the point I was trying to make was, 2200 is most certainly not a quiet period at Heathrow!

CallBell
5th Nov 2016, 18:59
There are currently no tech handling services at Knock for the A320, so if EI mainline were to operate the route, they would have to set up a tech base! EI may dip their toe in the water, using Stobart at some time in the future but I suspect that would be very seasonal.

Don't EI already operate A320 services to NOC from LGW??

Wycombe
5th Nov 2016, 20:30
Not sure anyone flys to Aus direct

Rumours elsewhere that QF may announce London-Perth direct on their new Dreamliners quite soon.

Epsomdog
5th Nov 2016, 22:32
Yes, but that aircraft is not based at Knock.

Epsomdog
5th Nov 2016, 22:44
Rumours elsewhere that QF may announce London-Perth direct on their new Dreamliners quite soon.
Getting off topic a bit......
London Perth? Interesting! Not sure I could stand a 20+ hour flight. Arriving at SIN is always a welcome break for me!

Noxegon
6th Nov 2016, 06:32
It shouldn't be that long. It's only marginally longer than DXB-AKL, which takes about seventeen.

waffler
14th Nov 2016, 16:24
Here's a hint.1270

PPRuNeUser0176
14th Nov 2016, 21:00
AerLingus schedules Miami launch in Sep 2017 :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/269877/aerlingus-schedules-miami-launch-in-sep-2017/?platform=hootsuite)

AerLingus in its inventory display has filed planned Dublin – Miami service, currently scheduled to commence on 01SEP17. The A330 will operate this route 3 times a week, with configuration of J23Y243.

EI141 DUB1500 – 1915MIA 330 357
EI140 MIA2110 – 1035+1DUB 330 357

PPRuNeUser0176
15th Nov 2016, 13:11
Looks more less confirmed one A333 will replace another A332. CEO also said Brexit is not impacting them either side of the Irish Sea.

PPRuNeUser0176
20th Nov 2016, 12:13
Looks like AA like delaying other things apart from their flights :E

TE report tying schedules for MIA with cruise services and American have been dragging their feet which delayed the announcement.

Something tells me AA/EI relationship will be hard work and Willie Walsh will have a lot to do.

IMO I could always see this coming.
______

An RFP for 7 A321 LR has also been issued.

brian_dromey
20th Nov 2016, 12:37
AA and EI don't have much of a choice but to work together. EI will be joining oneworld and the Transatlantic JV, thats already been confirmed by IAG. They will be sharing marketing, sales, costs and profits over the atlantic, like it or not.
AA and EI have worked together in the past, but re-establishing the relationship between them is bound to take a while, and things have been glacial at EI of late.

7 A321LR's is a few more than I was expecting. It seems like it would be an excellent aircraft for the likes of BDL to be connected to DUB and SNN/ORK/NOC/Belfast to be connected to major US cities like BOS and NYC.

EI-A330-300
20th Nov 2016, 13:43
AA and EI don't have much of a choice but to work together. EI will be joining oneworld and the Transatlantic JV, thats already been confirmed by IAG. They will be sharing marketing, sales, costs and profits over the atlantic, like it or not.
AA and EI have worked together in the past, but re-establishing the relationship between them is bound to take a while, and things have been glacial at EI of late.

Have to work together yes of course.

As for the JV, claimed discussions are going well but Willie Walsh said a few weeks ago:

"Aer Lingus is unique in terms of how it operates and can operate on the transatlantic, and therefore we need to ensure that flexibility is retained and not in any way inhibited by being part of the joint business."

"We don't want a straitjacket placed on Aer Lingus"

Code shares are the first step and it will be telling if they have them in place for MIA launch in September 17. If not I think JV will be some time off.

Not sure it helps that AA don't fully understand EI's business model, Walsh claimed they have a "better" understanding now.

IMO EI would be better outside JV and just code sharing with AA, they have more to lose sharing profits with AA ex DUB for example on routes to JFK/ORD. Im sure your aware JV is route specific as you know.
_______

7 A321LR's is a few more than I was expecting. It seems like it would be an excellent aircraft for the likes of BDL to be connected to DUB and SNN/ORK/NOC/Belfast to be connected to major US cities like BOS and NYC.

Not really considering only a net gain of 3 aircraft in early 2020's.

PPRuNeUser0176
20th Nov 2016, 14:09
Brian

I agree but wonder what's causing problems between both. EI putting them under intense pressure accross the pond, existing code share ties etc. In theory AA have more to gain by taking feed from EI at US hubs but it all appears very frosty and I don't expect its from EI side.

I sort of agree with 330 point and how JV could possibly have more benefits to AA than EI however don't know enough to make that call.

As for glacial comment you are right in some respects however EI have a small team so not un expected.

nguba
20th Nov 2016, 14:34
Joint-ventures are complex to manage in terms of bringing together different commercial organisations and establishing governance and reporting structures etc but the Oneworld transatlantic joint-venture is already well-established and has small players like Iberia and Finnair in it.

Willie Walsh's comment about AA having not understood EI's business model suggests there is more than meets the eye going on between AA and EI.

Una Due Tfc
22nd Nov 2016, 16:54
With there only being 4 757s what's the story with Summer routes? They were:

SNN-JFK
Earliest DUB-JFK
DUB-IAD
DUB-YYZ

With DUB-BDL does that mean the early JFK isn't returning or is a 330 picking up one of the above routes in Summer?

Jamie2k9
22nd Nov 2016, 17:12
With there only being 4 757s what's the story with Summer routes? They were:

SNN-JFK
Earliest DUB-JFK
DUB-IAD
DUB-YYZ

With DUB-BDL does that mean the early JFK isn't returning or is a 330 picking up one of the above routes in Summer?

DUB-YYZ goes 332 to allow DUB-BDL.

Day JFK usually doesn't go on sale until New Year, surprised if they don't return it!

brian_dromey
22nd Nov 2016, 18:59
Im sure at the IAG investor day (#ShowMeTheF******Money :roll eyes:) EI mentioned 5 757s in the oral presentation, however I've never seen another reference to an additional 757 joining the fleet, so another 757 would be possible, perhaps even planned.

ROKNA
22nd Nov 2016, 20:42
757 did DUB-EWR today

Expect to see the 757 appear on DUB-BOS services also to maintain frequency while allowing A330 go in for maintenance

EI-BUD
22nd Nov 2016, 21:36
757 x4... The current examples

SNN X2 ;BOS & JFK , each daily except Tuesday 1 flight.

DUB X2 ;BDL, daily and some IAD potentially...

EI-A330-300
5th Jan 2017, 14:12
A drunken plane passenger who caused a landing to be aborted when he insisted on using the toilet just before touchdown has been jailed for two months.

Drunken plane passenger who caused landing to be aborted 'in split-second decision' jailed for two months - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/drunken-plane-passenger-who-caused-landing-to-be-aborted-in-splitsecond-decision-jailed-for-two-months-35343409.html)

Not sure what's more impressive the 2 month sentence or the fact it was handed down within 36 hours of the incident.

Una Due Tfc
5th Jan 2017, 14:23
I'm pleasantly surprised that the idiot got a real punishment. Well done judge.

Maybe he can reimburse the airlines for all the extra fuel burned putting the go around aircraft back in the sequence.

EI-A330-300
12th Jan 2017, 01:10
Stephen Kavanagh gave a talk on Aer Lingus yesterday evening and said:

1 - A321NEO (LR) order will be finalized and announced in a few weeks with aircraft to work US and European services. RTP said 7 but I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher.

2 - 2 additional A330 will join in 2018, would take A330 fleet in DUB to 14.

3 - No business case for A330 NEO or A350 due to fuel and costs, 9 A350 still remain on order books. So likely they will stick to new cheap A330's instead.

4 - Like LHR-MAD, A330 will likely be deployed on DUB-LHR for cargo in the future.
_____

On a different note they are going recruiting cabin crew in Italy next month, could VY operation if correct be bigger than just BCN.

A320.b744
15th Jan 2017, 19:22
Does anyone have any idea what happened to 'Aer Space' - the not-quite-business-class product for short haul flights that was announced back in 2015?

PPRuNeUser0176
16th Jan 2017, 15:38
Likely "delayed"....

PPRuNeUser0176
19th Jan 2017, 01:24
Aer Lingus and WestJet have become partners feeding YYZ hub.

Not sure if they will formally announce it but it's live on website.

AerRyan
19th Jan 2017, 07:24
Something like Jet Blue in the US?

nguba
19th Jan 2017, 08:23
Interesting development as BA and WestJet terminated their codeshare agreement last year.

PPRuNeUser0176
19th Jan 2017, 14:06
Something like Jet Blue in the US?

Not a full code share nor close relationship. EI are offering services via WJ in YYZ but WJ are not offering EI flights via their website. More like Flybe set up.

Interesting development as BA and WestJet terminated their code share agreement last year.

I did notice that but AA are still with WJ while both AA and BA dropped JetBlue not so long ago.

EI need us partners for their business model to work. Perhaps WJ will be more acceptable than AC whenever OW happens.

Just a spotter
6th Feb 2017, 17:49
Interview with Aer Lingus CEO Stephen Kavanagh from 2nd Feb's Irish Independent.

Kavanagh is throwing the dice with his plan to operate an Aer Lingus service between Dublin and Las Vegas next winter. But it's a calculated risk - like one taken by the gambler who's been playing blackjack, but has been busy counting cards. "We are working to build a business case to operate a seasonal service to Las Vegas," he says. "We need to find a balance to the peak summer months, where the US consumer the main source of our traffic and where Ireland is the destination."

Viva Las Vegas: Aer Lingus boss to gamble on winter route on way to more growth - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/viva-las-vegas-aer-lingus-boss-to-gamble-on-winter-route-on-way-to-more-growth-35416389.html)

JAS

EI-A330-300
24th Feb 2017, 22:12
IAG released 2016 results today and EI operating profit increased by €109 million to €233 million. There was significant improvements in employee costs dropping 9.6% per ASK.

When yo compare EI and IB, if it continues not long before EI over take them even though they are more than double the size of EI.

2017 Capacity for Q1 up 15.8% and for FY 17 up 11.8%.

IAG - International Airlines Group - Presentations (http://www.iagshares.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=240949&p=irol-presentations)

sprite1
25th Feb 2017, 11:52
Definitely good figures, not matter what way you look at it.

There's nothing really so called 'Legacy' about EI nowadays, in a cost sense.

Good for them.

I hear the CEO is using the Norwegian expansion announcement as a card against pay rises and yet the bosses will get their bonuses because their targets were met.

alserire
25th Feb 2017, 19:03
Definitely good figures, not matter what way you look at it.

There's nothing really so called 'Legacy' about EI nowadays, in a cost sense.

Good for them.

I hear the CEO is using the Norwegian expansion announcement as a card against pay rises and yet the bosses will get their bonuses because their targets were met.
Need some more baggage handlers.

Landed to day at 13.39 p.m. at gate 412. Bags took almost an hour to start to arrive. mine finally came through at 14.48. Shocking stuff. And not the first time. Even the Italians are quicker at this stage!

sprite1
26th Feb 2017, 08:50
I've heard and seen first hand of issues like that, alserire.

Absenteeism can be, shall we say, high enough at times to have a visible effect on passenger experience like that. Throw in a rugby game against France and well.......

My point about 'Legacy' was in the financial sense only.

I'd recommend you contact EI outlining what happened. You could nearly throw your bag from 412 to the baggage hall. An hour wait is simply down to poor resources on the day.

alserire
27th Feb 2017, 10:58
I'd recommend you contact EI outlining what happened. You could nearly throw your bag from 412 to the baggage hall. An hour wait is simply down to poor resources on the day.

Done. Ridiculous in this day and age that a company cannot get on top of absenteeism. A fair few angry heads there on Saturday. And it wasn't just my flight. A lot of people standing around waiting for bags that took an age to arrive.

sprite1
27th Feb 2017, 13:49
Done. Ridiculous in this day and age that a company cannot get on top of absenteeism. A fair few angry heads there on Saturday. And it wasn't just my flight. A lot of people standing around waiting for bags that took an age to arrive.

^^^Good. Sounds like a shambles, that day.

ManUtd1999
5th Mar 2017, 11:55
Do EI currenlty nightstop any aircraft in Europe?

I had a quick scan of the timetables and the earliest arrivals from BCN/MAD/FCO etc are all 12:00+, which rules out connections onto morning transatlantic departures. Surely as the hub continues to grow they would benefit from some earlier arrivals? It would help reduce the glut of early-morning departures from Dublin aswell.

AerRyan
5th Mar 2017, 11:57
None outside of the UK.

inOban
5th Mar 2017, 12:07
Why would anyone from these cities want/need to use DUB as a hub rather than flying direct? I haven't scoured the websites, but I would have thought that being larger cities, these places would have at least as wide a range of TA destinations as DUB.

AerRyan
5th Mar 2017, 12:08
Hartford would be the only route that Dublin posses that none of the major hubs do.

EI-A330-300
5th Mar 2017, 13:33
Do EI currenlty nightstop any aircraft in Europe?

I had a quick scan of the timetables and the earliest arrivals from BCN/MAD/FCO etc are all 12:00+, which rules out connections onto morning transatlantic departures. Surely as the hub continues to grow they would benefit from some earlier arrivals? It would help reduce the glut of early-morning departures from Dublin aswell.

It has been looked at however its difficult to do it and for example take away existing morning services out of DUB could really damage them with point to point and considering currently 70% of T/A services arrive in DUB before 05.45 to meet the morning wave of departures.

Why would anyone from these cities want/need to use DUB as a hub rather than flying direct? I haven't scoured the websites, but I would have thought that being larger cities, these places would have at least as wide a range of TA destinations as DUB.

LHR, FCO, AMS which are some of the best connected cities to the US are the busiest transit points s make of that what you will.

ManUtd1999
5th Mar 2017, 17:09
or example take away existing morning services out of DUB could really damage them with point to point and considering currently 70% of T/A services arrive in DUB before 05.45 to meet the morning wave of departures.

Good point, hadn't thought about the inbounds.....

Jamie2k9
6th Mar 2017, 13:44
7 A321LR's finally confirmed with 3 arriving in 2019 and 4 in 2020.

Today Air Lease Corporation (AL) announced long term lease agreements with Aer Lingus for seven new Airbus A321neo LR aircraft to operate on transatlantic and other routes. The aircraft are from ALC’s order book with Airbus.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/air-lease-corporation-announces-lease-140000293.html

airbourne
6th Mar 2017, 14:16
186 seats so one assumes 12J, 174Y.

nguba
6th Mar 2017, 14:35
But none for any other IAG group airlines?

Jamie2k9
6th Mar 2017, 15:06
But none for any other IAG group airlines?

EI had confirmed they were getting them months ago (more less) however IAG said they are looking at them for other carriers now. Could be some before they finish that process.

Maxfli
6th Mar 2017, 15:14
80+ more opportunities

ia350
6th Mar 2017, 19:44
Just looking at destinations were these aircrafts could go , I'd say monteral and detriot. Where else that's in range ?

EI-BUD
6th Mar 2017, 19:56
Just looking at destinations were these aircrafts could go , I'd say monteral and detriot. Where else that's in range ?

And all EI points in Europe currently served by 320/321/330...!
Complete with business cabin

EI-BUD

ManUtd1999
6th Mar 2017, 19:56
I guess they will replace the 757s pretty much 1-1 so that gives us a few route clues:

SNN-New York
SNN-Boston
DUB-Hartford
DUB-Toronto
DUB-New York (make the day return year round?)

That leaves 2 aircraft to launch new routes. Philadephia would seem a good bet to feed the American hub, then maybe Montreal. Detroit/Columbus/Baltimore could also be options.

If anything I think they could use more aircraft. Commonality with the short-haul fleet gives great flexibility if the economy takes a downturn so it's very low risk v getting new widebodies.

Una Due Tfc
6th Mar 2017, 19:58

BWI, YQB....It's small and fuel efficient enought to open up more marginal routes like BDL.

It could also bring back the early Kennedy flight, or do the same with BOS or ORD.

All indications are that it will have serious efficiency and cargo capacity advantages over the MAX.

inOban
6th Mar 2017, 20:06
-manutd1999
According to the press release, they are replacing 4 757s with 7 321LR, so there should be 3 extra for new routes.

EI-BUD
6th Mar 2017, 20:11
YYZ goes to 330 this year, so based on current ops, 3 321Neo's would be committed. Lots of opportunities.

EI-A330-300
6th Mar 2017, 22:28
It's rather interesting that they have still not confirmed what's happening with the A350s, both IB and EI due to start deliveries next year.

Wonder if we might see them with EI after all, not sure IAG have more A333 options left with Airbus for 2018 delivery.

Charlie Roy
7th Mar 2017, 00:36
Could an Aer Lingus A321LR do Cork to JFK? Is the runway at Cork long enough?

7th Mar 2017, 10:11
The only way I could see them looking at Cork is if they see the possibility to chase Norwegian out of Ireland altogether.

Once the 757s have been replaced, there are only 3 aircraft yet and there are plenty of destinations where they might come in handy from Dublin. Montreal and Philadelphia immediately spring to mind. Also, increasing frequency to somewhere like Boston, while freeing an A330 to go somewhere further (Dallas? Seattle?) may also be an option.

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Mar 2017, 12:47
Problem is Aer Lingus carry cargo so the question is can a fully loaded pax and cargo A321 get to the East Cost from Cork.

racedo
7th Mar 2017, 15:12
The only way I could see them looking at Cork is if they see the possibility to chase Norwegian out of Ireland altogether.

Don't see that happening as they would need to drop fares considerably and the impact would be fares in rest of the business would collapse as a result.

Matching Norwegian would mean forget €500 fares and they be back in the loss position again.

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Mar 2017, 16:04
Don't see that happening as they would need to drop fares considerably and the impact would be fares in rest of the business would collapse as a result.

Matching Norwegian would mean forget €500 fares and they be back in the loss position again.

They have been offering return trips for 400 euro or below before DY even announced services. EI are high for peak few weeks.

Noxegon
7th Mar 2017, 16:59
Problem is Aer Lingus carry cargo so the question is can a fully loaded pax and cargo A321 get to the East Cost from Cork.

The A321LR does not have much space for cargo – the space is used for an extra fuel tank.

AerRyan
7th Mar 2017, 18:12
Note the DUB-JFK dayreturn will not be returning this year.

cloudier
7th Mar 2017, 19:48
AER LINGUS do not know where
CORK is

AerRyan
7th Mar 2017, 19:58
You mean the airline that has 3 based aircraft, and 3 based aircraft on it's partner regional airline, with 22 routes operated from Cork?

Yeah they don't know where Cork is at all :rolleyes::ugh:

Una Due Tfc
7th Mar 2017, 20:50
CORK is

Good thing Cork people know where Dublin is......

(Tongue very firmly in cheek)

EK77WNCL
8th Mar 2017, 10:51
In the case that Cork's runway can't get the A321LR across the pond non-stop, how about they hold on to some 757's for it? The A321LR will get PIP's down the line I'm sure, then it might be in a better position for transatlantic from Cork.

Although... If Norwegian are going to be flying those ground effect dogs transatlantic from Cork, the A321 shouldn't be any bother

airbourne
9th Mar 2017, 14:28
Cork is like that old uncle you have that everybody tolerates but wouldnt leave a kid in the room with!!! :=:=:=

EI-A330-300
27th Mar 2017, 15:51
Etihad in summer 2017 season is gradually expanded codeshare partnership with AerLingus, covering additional 14 routes to/from Dublin. Planned new codeshare routes, majority in effect from the week of 26MAR17, as follow.

ETIHAD operated by AerLingus
Dublin – Alicante
Dublin – Barcelona
Dublin – Brussels
Dublin – Faro
Dublin – Gran Canaria/Las Palmas
Dublin – Lanzarote
Dublin – Leeds/Bradford
Dublin – Newcastle
Dublin – Newquay
Dublin – Rome
Dublin – Tenerife South
Dublin – Venice
Dublin – Verona
Dublin – Vienna

Etihad expands AerLingus codeshare routes in S17 :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/272026/etihad-expands-aerlingus-codeshare-routes-in-s17/)

Epsomdog
28th Mar 2017, 12:56
CORK is
They know Cork is not that far from Dublin and with only 1/2 million population, demand will not be that high. It would be nice to offer the convenience for the few but would they pay the high price required to make a profit? Unlikely.
Charters may be possible though.

alserire
13th Apr 2017, 21:53
Has anyone any idea why it is so hard to have AerClub Avios credited for flights coming to Dublin? From Dublin there's no issue at all but EI are saying that flights from other destinations to Dublin that have not been added (and it seems to be affecting a lot of people, I have two already) will be added in "the next phase of the AerClub roll out". But when you inquire when that might be they cannot tell you.

Very odd.

EI-A330-300
13th Apr 2017, 22:09
Has anyone any idea why it is so hard to have AerClub Avios credited for flights coming to Dublin? From Dublin there's no issue at all but EI are saying that flights from other destinations to Dublin that have not been added (and it seems to be affecting a lot of people, I have two already) will be added in "the next phase of the AerClub roll out". But when you inquire when that might be they cannot tell you.

Very odd.

It's been a complete shambles, and taking a long long time to get sorted. They have made a lot of customers very angry.

Not 100% on this it's the IT system they use, Irish, most UK, US/Canadian airports tend to credit points automatically. European airports are causing some problems.

Just keep records of any flights and/or boarding passes as well. You could be waiting a few more months.

What color is along the top or your boarding pass green or black?

alserire
14th Apr 2017, 16:04
It's been a complete shambles, and taking a long long time to get sorted. They have made a lot of customers very angry.

Not 100% on this it's the IT system they use, Irish, most UK, US/Canadian airports tend to credit points automatically. European airports are causing some problems.

Just keep records of any flights and/or boarding passes as well. You could be waiting a few more months.

What color is along the top or your boarding pass green or black?

I don't have the passes but the flights are recorded in my AerClub account and I still have the emails and records of communication with EI. One was a cheap flight to Rome but the other was business from JFK. It was only a few days ago but the outbound was updated almost immediately. I might hit platinum status this year if they credit me with all my tier points. Thanks for the info. Hopefully they can sort it. Hard to believe it's that difficult to record a person's travel!!

EI-A330-300
14th Apr 2017, 17:46
Once they are showing you should get them at some stage. Allow 5-7 days for the J ticket ex JFK to credit as it should be an automatic credit.

alserire
14th Apr 2017, 18:21
Once they are showing you should get them at some stage. Allow 5-7 days for the J ticket ex JFK to credit as it should be an automatic credit.
Good stuff. Thanks again.

alserire
15th Apr 2017, 12:49
Tier credits now added to my account for return leg of flight but Avios have not been.

This really is a shambles.

alserire
5th May 2017, 19:54
Anyone know why EI105 didn't land in JFK today? FR shows it approaching JFK but not landing and diverting to Boston. Only got down to about 2000 feet. Landing gear issue?

AerRyan
5th May 2017, 19:56
Weather, several aircraft diverted.

alserire
5th May 2017, 20:53
Ah right. Thanks. Just curious.

airbourne
24th Jun 2017, 18:44
EI short over 20 flight deck crew today.

Pilots being called on days off to operate. Is this going to be the norm this summer?

alserire
24th Jun 2017, 20:17
EI short over 20 flight deck crew today.

Pilots being called on days off to operate. Is this going to be the norm this summer?

Ouch. That's a lot. Why so many? Hardly illness

PPRuNeUser0176
24th Jun 2017, 21:21
No idea but there has been some operational disruption this week which had lead to replacement crews been required which could of just added to the problem and required a much higher volume of call ins as a result.

BFS watcher
6th Jul 2017, 20:14
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40520319

Looks like the kicking from Easy and FR has driven out the Shamrock.

ia350
7th Jul 2017, 07:46
Got a cracking deal to LAX the other night 547 return in September . Absolute steal .

irishbcn
7th Jul 2017, 09:50
Got a cracking deal to LAX the other night 547 return in September . Absolute steal .

Really? With ET at €400, I know which airline I'd take.

Una Due Tfc
7th Jul 2017, 16:25
Really? With ET at €400, I know which airline I'd take.

No preclearance and non daily, so if they're not flying the day that suits you, an extra €150 isn't massive. In the grand scheme of things, both fares are bargains let's be honest

airbourne
7th Jul 2017, 23:06
No preclearance and non daily, so if they're not flying the day that suits you, an extra €150 isn't massive. In the grand scheme of things, both fares are bargains let's be honest

Priced ET for January in J €1360
Priced EI for January in J €3300

An extra €150 may not be huge for economy but €2000 is a lot in business class!!!!!

I can live with clearing immigration for that kind of saving.

Una Due Tfc
8th Jul 2017, 12:01
Priced ET for January in J €1360
Priced EI for January in J €3300

An extra €150 may not be huge for economy but €2000 is a lot in business class!!!!!

I can live with clearing immigration for that kind of saving.

Well that's a totally different argument.

If people are paying it you can't blame an airline for charging it though, and I've seen EI at over 5k for J to west coast before

ia350
8th Jul 2017, 12:09
No pre clearence ,dates suited better with Aer lingus and prefer the a330 .

airbourne
8th Jul 2017, 15:54
No pre clearence ,dates suited better with Aer lingus and prefer the a330 .

Just curious as to what is the preference over the A330?

bannercounty
9th Jul 2017, 01:19
I'm curious too. Have flown the EI A330's + numerous other carriers and only ever have flown the 787 with AC & UA but hands down the 787 wins... Ye all know the saying........

Cian
9th Jul 2017, 16:04
Seat width and (somewhat perceived) space are legitimate reasons to prefer an 8 across 330 to a 9 across 787.

airbourne
9th Jul 2017, 20:17
Seat width and (somewhat perceived) space are legitimate reasons to prefer an 8 across 330 to a 9 across 787.

According to seat guru, ET pitch is 33, width is 17. EI pitch 31-32, width is 17.

I am actually surprised that nobody has though that the 787 with its lower pressurisation does not leave you with the tired feeling when you leave the aircraft. Unlike the older model A330.

Cian
10th Jul 2017, 15:49
According to seat guru, ET pitch is 33, width is 17. EI pitch 31-32, width is 17.

I am actually surprised that nobody has though that the 787 with its lower pressurisation does not leave you with the tired feeling when you leave the aircraft. Unlike the older model A330.

Seat squab width isn't the sole factor - a 9 across 787 is going to have less shoulder space than an 8 across 330.

Most people don't seem to notice the pressurisation or else the MD11 would have been a hit with passengers

alserire
13th Jul 2017, 22:00
Question that I might get a quicker answer to here than from EI.

Will make Platinum Class for next year. Two things. Is the complimentary upgrade to business class one way only and when is it applied? At time of booking? Check in? Boarding? New to this loyalty programme business so not sure. EI website and customer service not very good on this!

ayroplain
24th Jul 2017, 07:50
This article in the Irish Independent makes for interesting reading. The Aer Lingus submission referred to is obviously an impassioned attempt to warn the unions off impending pay increase demands but sets a very serious tone.

Aer Lingus warns it faces turbulent times as low-cost Norwegian and Ryanair threaten its market share - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-warns-it-faces-turbulent-times-as-lowcost-norwegian-and-ryanair-threaten-its-market-share-35957841.html)

alserire
24th Jul 2017, 11:48
This article in the Irish Independent makes for interesting reading. The Aer Lingus submission referred to is obviously an impassioned attempt to warn the unions off impending pay increase demands but sets a very serious tone.

Aer Lingus warns it faces turbulent times as low-cost Norwegian and Ryanair threaten its market share - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-warns-it-faces-turbulent-times-as-lowcost-norwegian-and-ryanair-threaten-its-market-share-35957841.html)

Interesting.

How is business class doing? I took two return flights recently one to JFK and back and one out to LAX and back from SFO. The outbound JFK was full but the return had six empty seats. Outbound to LAX (smaller cabin, 23 seats) also had six free seats. SFO was a real eyeopener. It had seven empty seats and that was after a family with two young children (four people) were upgraded. So about half the business class seats had not been sold. Looking at short term (in the next week) at fares it appears that there are a lot of spare seats on all T/A flights. As this is likely where they make their money is their a problem here? Even with connections from UK/Europe.

waffler
24th Jul 2017, 13:08
It's been my experience that most transatlantic flights have been full or close to full since May. Business class, while normally quieter in Summer, is still doing very well.
Most upgrades are people using their points or Economy being oversold and the lucky few being bumped up.
As to the report, when you consider its targeted audience i.e. Staff and Pay Tribunal Chairman and its " leak ", I would suggest its conclusion was written first then fleshed out.
While it does contain some home truths, don't expect the end of Aer Lingus soon.

EI-A330-300
24th Jul 2017, 13:17
It was designed for a target audience, wouldn't pay much attention. Yes DY are going to have some impact, as will FR but wouldn't worry to much.

Una Due Tfc
24th Jul 2017, 13:55
Short haul keeps the lights on during recessions, long haul fills the coffers during booms. It has ever been thus

alserire
24th Jul 2017, 21:14
It's been my experience that most transatlantic flights have been full or close to full since May. Business class, while normally quieter in Summer, is still doing very well.
Most upgrades are people using their points or Economy being oversold and the lucky few being bumped up.
As to the report, when you consider its targeted audience i.e. Staff and Pay Tribunal Chairman and its " leak ", I would suggest its conclusion was written first then fleshed out.
While it does contain some home truths, don't expect the end of Aer Lingus soon.

I'm sure J is going well. Very competitive fares certainly. And a good product. It's just there seemed to be a lot of empty seats on three of the four flights I was on. Maybe it is a summer thing.

airbourne
26th Jul 2017, 18:35
Play the poor mouth by management to instil fear in the crew when they come looking for pay increases. Very targeted article and I would like to think that anyone would an ounce of know how would see right through this hatchet job of an 'article'.

Just a spotter
15th Aug 2017, 08:29
EI-LAX

Now that EI-LAX has been repaired and returned to service, does anyone know the nature of the ramp damage sustained in July?

EI-A330-300
15th Aug 2017, 13:01
You won't find anyone on here or any site willing to divulge that...

ia350
28th Aug 2017, 20:39
Just a quick question I'm due to fly out to L.A. late next month anyone know if it's with a 200 or 300 A300 ? Thanks !

EI-A330-300
28th Aug 2017, 20:46
Only 200 operate LAX
_____

Saver T/A fares also been introduced with restrictions soon. CEO said they were looking at it almost a year ago at this stage.