PDA

View Full Version : Monarch -2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

FlyZB
18th Jan 2007, 12:47
Previous thread Here (http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/221024-monarch-25.html#post3075602)

:ooh: Thanks for that. Does the arrival of these 2 additional 321s tie in with the routes already announced for summer 2007 or is there room for further route expansion once they've entered the fleet?

Mr @ Spotty M
18th Jan 2007, 16:44
FlyZB, you will find it's 3 more A321 to join the fleet.
OZBM & OZBN in March & OZBO in May.
You will find that even though OZBM is painted it is not with Monarch and not registered as OZBM.
It is in storage at EMA, with the aircraft leasing company that own it.
Two of the A321s replace two B757s that were used last summer flying schedule ZB flights.
All B757s are flying in charter config this summer, with one a/c as a spare to cover the Schedule and Charter fleets.
Hope this clears everything up:ok:

LGS6753
19th Jan 2007, 16:01
I understood there were 5 aircraft based at Luton to cover the increased schedules from May.

Monarch Man
19th Jan 2007, 17:12
Not until thay can find some newer vellly cheap ones :hmm:

MON don't have a great reputation for paying for quality, hence the baby bus fleet:} , although mayby the 787 is a change of heart, that is until they sell the production slots and buy crappy old A330-200's :hmm:

Bealzebub
19th Jan 2007, 17:19
You can't sell the production slots, they belong to the producer not the customer. Title for the goods doesn't pass until the last cent has been paid.

Monarch Man
19th Jan 2007, 17:49
So EVA got some 767's after they were paid for?

codpiece face
19th Jan 2007, 20:54
I think those 767's that went to eva where initially owned by Monarch and leased to eva!

Monarch Man
19th Jan 2007, 20:58
My point exactly, in essense MON sold the rights to EVA, through a lease arrangement. It remains to be seen if we do the same again with the 787..early airframe slots will be worth a pretty penny:ooh:

fx-85ms
22nd Jan 2007, 13:06
a bit confused... how many aircraft do ZB operate under the Scheduled brand? i suppose all the A321s will be for scheduled ops and how many more?

Tight Seat
22nd Jan 2007, 14:27
Fx

321/320 fly most of the ZBs, however, 757/300s can also be found on the way to Spain.

Mr @ Spotty M
22nd Jan 2007, 16:10
fx-85ms
For this Summer all A320 & A321 will be used for ZB flights, as they have reduced seating for the ZB flights.
However A300, A330 will be operating some ZB flights during the summer and l hear the B767 may be also.
The B757 may fill in for the odd ZB flight, but they are back to charter config this summer and one a/c is a back-up a/c for the summer.
The A320 & A321 may also fly the odd charter rotation as well, especially at night.
Hope this is of help.:ok:

-BHXboy-
22nd Jan 2007, 18:00
As per last summer - all BHX charter flight will be operated by A321

-BHXboy-

CVTDog
22nd Jan 2007, 20:16
Flying with them lots this summer since the demise of last years regular (FlyBe) I must say that on that route last summer on the occasional ZB trip I was impressed with the turnout of the A/C in comparison with the BE flights I used.

Will it be the same aircraft this summer down to ALC ? I now no longer fly anywhere much to ALC since my family moved down there so I am not seeing much variety on the aircraft.

CVTDog
5th Feb 2007, 20:41
. . . . . where its due.

(I am not a Monarch employee BTW)

This Fri out / Sunday return flight to ALC was one of the best I have had.

They (MON) are a cut above the other LCC I use to ALC.

The aircraft (A320) was exceptionally well turned out (I paid the extra £15 for 3C) and the extra legroom was nice but the other seats looked to have a better pitch than others carriers and were in good really good condition. The leather seats were much better than recently experienced on other carriers and the CC seemed very experienced, organised, coureous and well . . . . just nice !!

Free papers, free used of clean new headphones and IFE make all the difference. (even hot hand / face towels for all pax)

5 minute early departure, 10 minute early land and the pilot did one of those "are we down yet" landings - probably scrubbed the tyres as a result though

To be honest I couldn't tell the difference cost wise with the other BHX and CVT LCC's but it was really impressive.

:cool:Praise where it is due

nilcostoptionmyass
5th Feb 2007, 21:19
Shame they treat their crews with contempt, a pay frezze followed by a £25 M & S voucher and a crap luggage tag as a christmas bonus,that can be found on ebay in vast numbers.

TSR2
5th Feb 2007, 22:37
Must say I echo CVTDog's praise.

I travel ZB two to three times each year to Faro and every flight is the same. Excellent punctuality, clean and comfortable aircraft, friendly and efficient CC and good selection of surprisingly good food.

FlyZB
5th Feb 2007, 23:10
You will find a lot of people who use ZB echoing your praise, myself included. For an LCC, whos prices match those of LS, WW, U2 etc, their overall service and passenger experience is superior to any of their rivals which is why people choose to fly with them on a regular basis. Ask for the opinions of passengers using Monarch charter (MON) as part of a package tour though and you'll find that the feedback won't be so good, particularly for long haul. I've said it a few times before and I'll say it again, is it time for Monarch to ditch their charter operations in favour of an all scheduled (LCC) service?

OPS1978
6th Feb 2007, 14:44
Monarch are the best airline to fly with out of bhx i would say. The ZB service is outstanding as is the MON flights. Would not fly with anyone else has to be monarch for me all the time. The cabin crew are friendly and look after you well, my mother is nervous flyer and the cabin crew are always on hand to put her mind at rest, The aircraft are always clean and the seats are really comfy aswell for airline seats the meals are great also.

The flights always leave on time or early i wonder if that has something to do with good relantionship they have with there ground handlers who I believe are called "swissport"?.

Keep up the good work monarch you tick all the right boxes for me.

fmgc
7th Feb 2007, 15:50
Why would Monarch ditch the charter work? Utter madness, once the contract is signed with the charterer it is money in the bank. The schedule market is far harder to make money in.

As far as charter airlines go they are much like any other.

BYALPHAINDIA
11th Feb 2007, 21:32
What is planned for MAN this Summer,

The usual 2 757's 2 x A300 5 + A320/1 1 P/time A330?

I didn't see the A330 much last Summer at MAN.

Regards.

Mr @ Spotty M
11th Feb 2007, 21:55
6 A320/321 & 1 B757, the rest not sure about.
I think 2 A300, with both B767 & A330 putting some appearances in.:ok:

BYALPHAINDIA
11th Feb 2007, 22:07
Thanks - Mr@ spotty m, It would be nice to see the 767 more regular, The MON colours suit the machine.

Do you know how long G DIMB is planned to be operated for?

It would be nice to see more MON 767's.

Regards.:ok:

Mr @ Spotty M
12th Feb 2007, 05:19
Should be another 3 years for G-DIMB.:ok:

Evanelpus
13th Feb 2007, 10:17
Went to book our flights to ALC later this year. Spotty were charging around £500 for the three of us, Orange price was about £250 including insurance....absolute no brainer. Plus, Orange flies more than once a day from LTN.

Moan over

fmgc
13th Feb 2007, 10:19
For the prices to be so high the MON flight must be almost full so making a good profit on it.

Mr @ Spotty M
13th Feb 2007, 16:44
Evanelpus, Does the insurance cover flight canx by Easy for what ever reason.
In other words, do they pay for your flights with another carrier, if no seats are available on other Easy flights, due next flights being full?

hatters united
15th Feb 2007, 11:04
With the merger between Mytravel / Thomas Cook and more consolidation forecast, what is the future for the Monarch Group ?
Will they go on the offensive and buy another operator to strengthen there position, ( but who ? ) or are they more likely to get swallowed by perhaps TUI, First Choice or XL ?
As a third option, might they expand the scheduled sevices and become even more oriantated to the independant traveller at the expense of the charter operations.
Anyone any thoughts as to how they might align themselfs ?
H.U.

glamourgirl!
15th Feb 2007, 11:20
well as an ex employee I dont think monarch will ever be up for sale. They have been going on there own for years and think it will continue that way. As they are privatley owned and not a plc. I dont think the owners need the money. As for buying into other companies again its something that they have never done and doubt this will change. Thats my opinion though so u never know?

Alloy
15th Feb 2007, 15:19
To quote someone else also in Monarch "In January MONARCH celebrated its 40th Anniversary. It is also the longest surviving airline name in the UK. They must be doing something right.":D

nilcostoptionmyass
15th Feb 2007, 20:49
Rumour is that they are about to make a bid for a major cargo operator.

Fuel Crossfeed
16th Feb 2007, 10:56
"Rumour is that they are about to make a bid for a major cargo
operator."

Do tell us more!!??

LGS6753
16th Feb 2007, 21:22
What Monarch will do is what Monarch has been doing. Gradually shift its operation from charter to scheduled. Been going on for 10+ years now, and very successfully.

Best of luck to them:ok:

CVTDog
19th Feb 2007, 19:12
I have taken a chance that the prices wont come down and booked Christmas (22/12 - 1/1) for £175 with a reserved seat both ways. Also Easter (Sat to Sat) for a similar (lower) amount.

I hope my faith in the "school / big holiday - book early" mantra will pay off ! Just about held up for this year and I didnt loose out - but there is always a chance it can go wrong :} .

I know its a long way out but I think it will be worth it in the long run - even though they are holding my money for so long

cornwallis
20th Feb 2007, 08:40
No mention of the old A300 on here.I suppose it will be doing its usual long shorthaul this summer.How they get away with some of the seating never ceases to amaze me.:} :}

kala87
21st Feb 2007, 17:31
Monarch are definately doing "something right". Been flying them frequently on LTN-MAH for 12 years and every flight has been a pleasure, although the food isn't quite as good as it was in the good old days of "Crown Service". Long may Spotty M continue as one of the UK's best airlines.

bigMANofMAN
18th Jun 2007, 08:43
Hello FTP

Monarch's 767 has a Premium cabin at the front but no seatback TV's.
They are Digi-players that are fixed to the seat in front.
(Given out after departure).....There is no Skymap on this though but a selection of movies and programmes.

I have found the following photo on Jetphotos.net of the premium cabin.
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5755848

The leg-room is quite ample too and the service is good.

Hope this info helps......
BM

ernie3
29th Jul 2007, 21:46
anyone know why monarch are pulling out of aberdeen malaga route ? do you think it could be due to globe span doing the same route in november. Its a shame everyone i have talked to sing monarchs praises :(

OliWW
29th Jul 2007, 21:48
I can imagen its either down to better passenger figures at another airport like LGW or BHX where they have been doing very well recentally and low passenger figures at ABZ or they want to put the aircraft somewhere else for expansion from other airports which I have to say Monarch need...

Time will tell...

chrism20
29th Jul 2007, 22:21
I think it is to with having to position crew to AGP which wont be cheap and also this year GSM have appeared at ABZ and there is now many additional 'sun bound' options than there were out of ABZ. GSM will also be AGP through the winter but only once a week. Sat I think

take-off
30th Jul 2007, 09:35
Was reading somewhere , monarch have said the route was longer viable, but if like at BLK , they were running a succesful route , They even said theirselves, it was very popular, until they mucked up the timings,plus with the arrival of Jet2 at BLK, I guess they thort they could do better elsewhere, pity, cause i like monarch and alot of people said how good the service was, Just nobody wanted to fly out at 9.30pm, strange how the 7/8 am flights was a huge success:ugh:

Richard Taylor
30th Jul 2007, 15:07
Perhaps someone at Monarch can confirm but AGPABZ had attracted something like 72K pax since launch 2yrs ago.

Was 4w at launch, S06 it went to 3w, where it's been since.

Doobs
6th Aug 2007, 12:54
I flew with Monarch back from Faro to Gatwick and can honestly say i was nothing but impressed with the service, efficiency and general attitude of the airline. The cabin crew were bright,friendly and attentive to the pax. Credit to Lisa 'the senior' or number I think they call it. She was a ray of sunshine and such a beautiful girl. (does anyone know her?? or her number??)
A lot of other airlines should adopt the attitude of Monarch cabin crew!
Keep up the good work.

TartinTon
6th Aug 2007, 15:27
Take-off, success of a route isn't measured in load factor but in overall revenue and in the case of BLKAGP the loads were good but the yield wasn't.

Richard, you're quite correct. Just under 72,000 up to the end of July.

take-off
7th Aug 2007, 11:04
Makes you wonder Why they were saying how wonderful they were doing then, in local rag, mind would you want to pay full price for fares in winter that ran in middle of night, some nights it was 10/11 pm they were leaving BLK.

Powerjet1
20th Sep 2007, 17:29
Apologies if this has been reported before but have just noted Monarch are following the flow and will charge for hold luggage on scheduled flights. £3.99 per bag, online, £10 at the airport.

TSR2
20th Sep 2007, 22:02
And those charges are per bag per flight.

Ryanair mark2 .... are you reading Mr J

FlyZB
21st Sep 2007, 19:01
I'm sorry but this is getting beyond a joke. What else will they have us paying for next. Use of a seatbelt maybe?? And it seems that you're no longer safe with a particular carrier because once one airline introduces new charges, it's guaranteed that everyone else will follow shortly after.

And will be see any reduction in fares as a result of this additional charge? Highly unlikely!

SOTV
21st Sep 2007, 19:16
This may be naive but I cant see any fares on Monarch services for £0.01.

If I choose to fly FR or EZY then with low fares then I will bung the odd fiver for hold baggage. For an airline with goodish routes, a good charter programme and a healthy scheduled service why go down this side street?

Are Monarch feeling the squeeze from the locos?

Disappointing.

:cool:

chrism20
21st Sep 2007, 19:19
Someone will wake up to it all and come out with the slogan of 'no hidden charges' etc etc, kind of similar to Ryanairs no fuel surcharges ever slogans that we see. Pity it wasn't Monarch as they are a decent outfit too.

Mr A Tis
21st Sep 2007, 23:49
Monarch could well, have shot themselves in the foot here. "Expect more, pay less " my A*SE.
They are one of the more pricey locos, but do give you more..eg .papers, towels etc.
This just flies in the opposite - they should be saying -fly me !! No hidden extras - Check in Included, seat res included, papers included, hot towels included, baggage included , freq flyer points included = expect more pay less. Maybe they will change it now to pay more get less ?

aidoair
22nd Sep 2007, 08:25
Well they no longer give away newspapers, apparently to help reduce weight and save space... So i bet it won't be long until they stop giving hot towels. Perhaps the only real difference now between them and low fare carriers is the fact that you can buy hot meals onboard and the higher prices.

22/04
22nd Sep 2007, 08:52
I expect the guys at Premair (have i got that right- the up-market MD80 oufit) will be happy. All helps to open a market slot for them

peakp
22nd Sep 2007, 16:14
Aidoiar Post 49.

Just returned from Palma with ZB, had newspapers both ways, but no hot towels.

Also when we were dept. man, there was a lot slf for the LAA flight to Tripoli,
in the toilets washing there feet. Is this normal! I presume it is perhaps connected to religious belief. Anybody know if this is the case,save me looking it up.
Regards
Peakp

Ian Brooks
22nd Sep 2007, 16:25
Ramadan maybe? Mid Sept to mid Oct
Ian

Dazzle
1st Oct 2007, 17:08
Anyone know if Monarch have dropped their MAN - XRY flights? Theres none on sale after March.

Beckenham_Boy
5th Oct 2007, 12:52
Have Monarch given up permanently on Granada? I don't like the alternative.

Mr @ Spotty M
5th Oct 2007, 17:02
They have and also LIS at the end of the month.

ExpectmorePayless
6th Oct 2007, 00:01
Manchester-Naples - axed
Manchester-Madrid - axed
Manchester-Gibraltar - axed
Newquay-Malaga - axed
Blackpool-Malaga - axed
Aberdeen-Malaga - axed
Gatwick-Granada - ends soon
Gatwick-Lisbon - ends soon
... nearly as successful as MyTravelLite :rolleyes:

Dazzle
6th Oct 2007, 07:44
Manchester - Gibraltar was axed sometime ago and was replaced by Manchester - Jerez.

Does anyone have any information on this route as it doesn't appear after March?

The loads have been good when I've used it but I generally travel during school holidays so I've no idea what they're like at other times.

FlyZB
6th Oct 2007, 19:05
Forgive me, I'm not particularly well up on how successful ZB is at LGW but I think that the problem with routes like GRX and LIS is that their aircraft are too big. Filling an A320 or 321 on a regular basis on non-bucket & spade routes is going to be more difficult than filling a 737 or 319. If ZB really want to make a go of more cities/business destinations than perhaps they should look at adding some smaller aircraft to their fleet. A319's would be the obvious choice with the majority of their scheduled flights already operated by Airbuses. Even if the likes of LIS have been doing ok, they know they can utilise 174 or 214 seater aircraft better on other routes and that's what they've done.

I admit, I'm a little surprised to see MAN-XRY dropped. It has done very well in it's first 6 months of operation but again, that aircraft can probably be better utilised on a different route. MAN - NAP was always an odd choice IMHO and struggled even in the busy summer months. Ironically, MAN - MAD would probably work well for them now there's no competition but I don't think they will explore that avenue again.

All this said, I can't help feeling that Monarch have lost their way a little. Once the airline who were proud to be different, they have effectively copied fellow LCC's, introducing charges, doing away with 'frills' left, right and centre and basically removing all the aspects of their product that made them so popular. It now seems that they're willing to be ruthless by axing routes they no longer deem worthwhile a-la WW or LS.

I'm not saying they should continue to operate loss-making routes to save face, or continue to serve free food and drink just to offer something different, but everything that made them stand out has now disappeared and they have become just another face in the low cost crowd. Any stability within the airline seems to have gone. Routes dropped, products dropped, charges increased and often far more expensive than their competitors, how much longer will their frequent fliers remain loyal? Are you listening Mr. Jeans??

ivanskigib
6th Oct 2007, 19:21
Well if Monarch were to resume the Manchester - Gibraltar they would benefit of a huge whole in the market as there is no competition and a lot of demand. It was axed for the wrong reasons. So if they are axing Jerez (the replacement) then it makes no sense at all.

BYALPHAINDIA
6th Oct 2007, 20:48
It would be good to see MAN - GIB return, But MON do well on the LGW - GIB route, GIB is frequented more by the south, And the charges increased at GIB made MON discontinue the MAN - GIB route.

With AGP down the road, MON knew they could transfer the MAN - GIB there.

Regards.:ok:

Mr @ Spotty M
7th Oct 2007, 09:05
MON do even better on the LTN-GIB run as they do not fly LGW-GIB, "BYALPHAINDIA".:ok:

toledoashley
7th Oct 2007, 10:41
Are we going to see monarch stick to routes they know best - how about a Scheduled London - Heraklion/Monastir/Fuerteventura/Funchal/Paphos/Dalaman/Catania/Dubrovnik/Varna, all popular beacha nd holiday home destinations.

tangocharlie
9th Oct 2007, 04:39
If MAN-XRY to be axed then MAN-GIB will return!

ivanskigib
16th Oct 2007, 19:58
Well let's hope they do restore the GIB-MAN route, but I'm not hopeful.

125km to Malaga airport (80 miles) is not eaxctly down the road from Gibraltar...

Curious Pax
25th Nov 2007, 16:54
Monarch have a 763 planned to route MAN-AMS (nightstop) - MED (Medinah in Saudi). Presumably G-DIMB is operating some Hadj flights for someone this year? Saudi Arabian or Garuda?

Mr @ Spotty M
25th Nov 2007, 17:13
Hajj is for Saudi, using B757s, B767 and A300s.

im going in
25th Nov 2007, 18:19
Hajj is not for Saudi, it is on behalf of a Saudi Arabian broker who is brokering flights throughout Europe. They are all being operated under MON flight numbers.

Mr @ Spotty M
25th Nov 2007, 20:47
My apologies, should have checked, took it for granted they were for Saudi as they were from all over Europe and Middle East and not from one country.:ugh:

LGS6753
4th Dec 2007, 14:13
Monarch have dropped their Gatwick-Granada service from early November. In a detailed explanation on their website, they cite low load factors (around 75% in summer) and lower yield than Malaga.

FlyZB
4th Dec 2007, 21:20
Monarch have 3 additional A321's joining the fleet next Spring. G-OZBP (Ex GB G-TTIB), G-OZBR (Ex Spirit) & G-OZBS (Ex GB G-TTIA) should all be operating by the end of March. Where are ZB going to utilise these extra aircraft? From what I can see, the scheduled program is down on this summer. LIS & GRX have been dropped from Gatwick, XRY has been dropped from MAN and ABZ - AGP is not returning.

Are Monarch about to announce some new scheduled routes or will they be increasing their charter work?

Mr @ Spotty M
5th Dec 2007, 05:15
To correct you a little "ZB".
Monarch are adding two A321s in the spring, one of which replaces a A320.
The third A321 joins the fleet in August.:ok:

TartinTon
5th Dec 2007, 08:40
.....and daily MANMJV for summer has been announced and selling for months!

FlyZB
5th Dec 2007, 09:40
Thanks for that Spotty M. Which A320 is leaving? You are right TartinTon, daily MAN-MJV is new for next summer but this only replaces the 4 x weekly XRY route and the reduced frequency on IBZ. So there's some spare capacity somewhere surely?

arfortune
5th Dec 2007, 14:19
Hi
I know this may be a little early, but does anyone know what aircraft type normally operates this route?

We're travelling on the 16th Feb at 0645 (:uhoh:) on the Inghams charter.

Thanks

firstforfirstchoice
5th Dec 2007, 14:26
I think 2 of the B757's are going next year sometime.

However Monarch will now be operating a Chania route from BHX next Summer on a Tuesday and according to current timetables they will now need 5 A321's at BHX at this time, unless the aircraft positions in, as they did with one of the Turkey flights a couple of years ago, which operated with a B757.
Still think there might be expansion somewhere next Summer, but on what scale, and depends when the 2 B757's leave, which I think is in the third quarter of 08, but not sure, can anyone confirm??

Mr @ Spotty M
5th Dec 2007, 17:38
Its BJ leaving and the B757s 4th quarter around Nov.

22/04
5th Dec 2007, 22:19
Sad to see the 757s going- kind of last link to my youth. Presume NB and NC will go unless ETOPS saves NB- probably not a consideration these days.

At least NX will remain.

MUFC_fan
5th Dec 2007, 22:27
Many times have I been on the MON 752s in all of their liveries.

All of the UK charter airlines have uterlised the aircraft immensley since it's production due to it's great performance.

Shame to see them all leave - MYT, now MON, will be FCA and XL next before TOM who will probably replace theirs with the 739ER? Atleast TCX are still major users of the plane and hopefully for a long time to come!

Mr @ Spotty M
6th Dec 2007, 04:51
22/04
It is going to be "NB" & "NE" which are the first to go due to them being ETOPS.

colegate
6th Dec 2007, 09:22
It will be good news if this means that LGW-AGP always operates on an Airbus. The 757 is a great aircraft but the internal configuration does not match Airbus. Fascinating, though, that GB are getting rid of A321's. Their previous policy had been to replace all the 320's with 321's.

22/04
6th Dec 2007, 10:56
Ah but was the disposal of 321s planned before the Easy take over or does it result from it?

IB4138
6th Dec 2007, 11:23
GB are due to replace the outgoing two 321's with two new builds.

This was agreed before the takeover.

Mr @ Spotty M
6th Dec 2007, 16:33
"colegate" this past summer the whole B757 fleet has been configured for charter flights, that is not to say that the odd ZB service might have been carried out on them.
For your interest the plan for summer 07 was one B757 based at LGW to be used as a standby aircraft and this was achieved most of the time.
MON even charted other aircraft to cover for the loss of the A321s at the start of the season, this to still leave a standby aircraft available and l understand that one B757 will be a standby unit this summer.
"22/04", yes the GB A321s were decided before this summer started, so well before Easyjets takeover.

im going in
6th Dec 2007, 17:29
The 757's will be reconfiged for S08 to 229 seats, to ensure that there are extra leg room seats at the front for ZB flights.

arfortune
19th Dec 2007, 15:20
Does anyone know what aircraft type is scheduled to operate MON6992 / 6993 Charters between Gatwick and Geneva?

Thanks

MUFC_fan
19th Dec 2007, 17:09
Would say 752 but if it is on a Saturday during Feb half-term maybe an A300.

TartinTon
20th Dec 2007, 08:41
Mostly A300s on the LGWGVA MON6992/3

parky747
5th Jan 2008, 00:03
Have seen a Monarch A300 or something like that in LHR, anyone know what route this is operating? Didnt know they flew from LHR

Ian Brooks
5th Jan 2008, 00:23
Maybe A Hajj flight which they are operating under BD flightnumber

Ian

Mr @ Spotty M
5th Jan 2008, 08:04
Yes, Hajj flights for BMI both before xmas and after using A330s.:ok:

TartinTon
5th Jan 2008, 12:01
I understand from a well-placed source that Monarch are due to launch LGW - Larnaca and Mahon from Easter and beef up their LGW - TFS offering. All flights on sale from Monday :ok::ok::ok:

flyer55
5th Jan 2008, 15:36
Interesring to see GB/EZY getting rid of their 321's already even though the buyout is not complete!

MUFC_fan
5th Jan 2008, 16:02
They are only selling 2, don't know about the rest.

From what I have heard, both A321s are heading to MAN and 1 A320 is heading south to LGW so both bases get new aircraft with MAN getting quite a big boost to it's available seats.

This will obviously mean new routes for LGW and maybe another for MAN? Or frequency increases?

IB4138
5th Jan 2008, 17:09
flyer 55 and MUFC fan

As I have already advised, the two A321 disposals were already planned before the EZY take over by GT, with two new build aircraft replacing them.

FlyZB
5th Jan 2008, 18:20
I presume the newly announced MAN-LCA route will be operated by an A321? Also I've read somewhere that MAN-ACE will be upgraded to a 321 this summer, might be wrong about that though. BCN was upgraded from a 320 to a 321 this winter, so possibly that will remain 321 for the summer.

OPS1978
24th Jan 2008, 13:40
How long will it be untill monarch have realised they have made a big mistake making there airport managers redundant?. I bet it will not be long everyone upset by the news great people who work really hard for the respective bases. "Monarch an airline that cares" more like one that cares about its profit and not the staff that have been loyal over the years.

SFA OK
31st Jan 2008, 17:23
Wonder if ZB had thought of trying BHX-LCA and giving Cyprus Airways a run for their money. Would be good to see some all year round competition on the route from BHX. A new scheduled service may generate more traffic whilst I am sure ZB could easily take some of CY’s market share.
At present CY’s scheduled times are poor, they are rarely on time, the crews aren’t the friendliest and the aircraft interiors have seen better days (the airline appears to be stuck in a decade associated with Tears for Fears). CY ticket prices aren’t bad but they are nothing that ZB couldn’t compete with. If it was down to standard of service ZB would win every time. Any chance?

firstforfirstchoice
31st Jan 2008, 21:07
Yeah I have thought about that myself too. I would imagine if Monarch ZB are to start new routes from BHX...Larnaca should be one.

There seems to be some sort of a rumuor that BHX are in talks with Monarch to base an additional A321 later in the Summer...If that is true and did happen...then I would of thought they would add Cyprus fights.

Would be nice to see 5 Monarch A321's at BHX if it does happen.

goldeneye
2nd Feb 2008, 11:46
Cosmos holidays are stating that Monarch's longhaul flights will have a 33" seat pitch for summer 2008, can anyone confirm if this is true.

FlyZB
15th Mar 2008, 18:55
I have heard a rumour, and I emphasise at this stage it is purely a rumour, that IB are interested in codesharing on some ZB routes between Spain and the UK. I know that before they turned their attentions to LoCo, Monarch were looking at various codeshare possibilities on their scheduled (ZB) routes. They work extremely closely with IB at all their Spanish destination airports, in fact I don't think there's one Spanish airport where they aren't handled by Iberia. By codesharing, IB would be able to get a piece of the Spain-UK market and it would allow UK passengers to connect in Spain onto Iberia services ie MAN-BCN-South America. In return ZB would see increased seat sales, an increased profile for Spanish based customers and it would create the possibility of opening new routes such as MAD.

TartinTon
15th Mar 2008, 22:36
Not sure what your sources are FlyZB but it's just not true. As for looking at codeshares before going LoCo, only at a very rudimentary level.

Considering the load factors they operate at, why complicate the business and add significant cost for marginal increases in sales?

Doesn't make sense

Mr A Tis
15th Mar 2008, 22:55
I think someone is pulling your leg ZB. More chance of IB lo Co Clickair operating to MAN than ZB codesharing with IB.
Monarch just couldn't handle interline traffic.

Playamar2
16th Mar 2008, 09:20
FlyZB

Even the example you quote of flying via BCN to South America shows the frailty of this rumour as IB don't fly BCN to South America, its all change at Madrid. Back to the drawing board on this one I think.

groundhogbhx
16th Mar 2008, 10:45
FlyZB

I think you will find that they are handled by IB because until fairly recently there wasn't any choice. Probably more a case of not wanting/getting round to changing yet

FlyZB
16th Mar 2008, 18:00
Yeh, I take your points. The rumour actually came from someone I know in Spain who had heard mutterings from somewhere. It is more a case of IB being interested in some kind of agreement rather than the other way around. Don't really know a great deal about Iberia or codeshares so not in any position to comment further.

With regards to the reason why ZB and IB work so closely in Spain, I do think it is a little more than the fact that IB were once the only ground handling option. There have been much cheaper alternatives for a good number of years now, particularly at the larger airports, so Monarch are obviously very happy with what IB provide and the connections to such a large company. I remember seeing a poster at TFS a few weeks back which said 'Monarch - proud to be handled by Spain's National Carrier' or something to that extent.

OltonPete
3rd Apr 2008, 09:04
From Monarch website:

Pax 281994 up 9.5%

Load Factor 82.86% + 0.16%

Winter 2008/9 Birmingham released showing no LEI, MJV, PMI.

Is this a staged release for destinations as well as airports?

They have LEI to themselves at BHX but do share MJV with Baby.

Pete

captaintrigger
4th Apr 2008, 18:24
"Congratulations to Monarch!:D:D:D:D:D

It's a proud moment for Monarch as it celebrates Its 40th anniversary this weekend and enters into Its 41st year of flying. From launch in 1968 with just two Bristol Britannia aircraft and a total of 94 airline and engineering staff, It Is now one of the UK's leading leisure airlines with almost 3,000 staff, operating a fleet of 31 jet aircraft and carrying over 7 million passengers a year

Monarch is the longest established airline brand still trading and flying under the same name in the UK and we are delighted to be celebrating our 40th anniversary this weekend.

Its certainly been an eventful four decades and we have come a long way from our humble beginnings back in 1968, when a collaboration between Airline Engineering Limited (now Monarch Aircraft Engineering Ltd) and Cosmos, saw the launch of Monarch Airlines and the first commercial service take to the skies - flight OM118 operating between Luton and Madrid on 05 April 1968.

To mark the occasion, we will be operating a celebration flight between Luton and Menorca on Saturday 05 April. Passengers on this flight will check-in at retro branded check-in desks and will be treated to champagne and cakes onboard, all served by Monarch cabin crew dressed in replicas of the original 1968 uniform – complete with yellow mini-dress!

Here are just a few of the 'milestones' in how we've evolved as a business -

In the early 1970s, the expanding holiday industry demanded faster travel. Monarch met that demand by committing to a modern, all-jet fleet: an unusual step in those days. We took delivery of our first Boeing jet - the 720B - and the first jet service took place on 13th December 1971. By 1972, we were carrying over 500,000 passengers.

Ten years later, we were the first charter airline in the world to order the new Boeing 757 - a highly sophisticated twin-engine jet. We ordered four - and Boeing was prepared to work with us to customise the aircraft in exactly the ways we wanted.

By the 1980s, many people wanted to travel independently of package tours. They wanted to book their own flights at flexible and convenient times and organise their own accommodation. Monarch recognised this need and in Spring 1985 we were awarded licenses to Malaga, Menorca and Tenerife - our scheduled division was born.

In 1986 the first scheduled flight took off for Menorca from Luton, flying on a Boeing 737-200 aircraft.

In 1999, we added the Airbus A330 to the fleet. This features the new Premium cabin, with a range of upgraded benefits such as increased seat pitch and width, and in-arm or seat-back video.

Monarch launched its first online booking tool in 2001, allowing passengers to book flights directly with the airline without needing to speak to a call centre or book through a travel agent.

2005 saw us add our first Boeing 767 to the fleet, allowing further expansion of the route network due to the aircraft's extended range operation.

Online bookings made via www.flyMonarch.com topped 90% for the first time in March 2007.

Look at this 'timeline' to follow Monarch's history at-a-glance:

1969: A fleet of six aircraft carries 250,000 passengers annually.

1971: First jet service (Boeing 720B) comes into operation.

1976: Monarch becomes an all-jet fleet.

1981: Monarch carries over a million passengers this year and offices are opened at Gatwick, Manchester and Glasgow.

1985: Scheduled route licences are applied for.

1986: Monarch Crown Service is launched.

1988: 2.5 million passengers are carried.

1990: New purpose-built headquarters is opened at Luton boasting its own Boeing 757 flight simulator.

1996: Monarch Aircraft Engineering adds a brand new hangar in Manchester to existing facilities at Luton.

1999: The addition of Airbus A330-200 aircraft brings two-class seating to the long-haul charter market.

2000: Monarch's website is launched, with on-line booking for scheduled flights.

2001: Monarch carries nearly five million passengers on a large network of both scheduled and charter routes, with a combined workforce of nearly 3,000 people.

2002: Monarch unveils a new livery for its aircraft, plus new corporate colours of indigo and yellow.

2003: Monarch bases aircraft at London Gatwick for the first time with routes to Malaga, Alicante and Faro.

2004: New routes to Gran Canaria and Lanzarote are added from Luton.

2005: Monarch adds Birmingham as a UK base with routes to Malaga, Tenerife, Alicante and Faro.

2006: Further expansion occurs at all UK bases with new routes to Murcia and Menorca from Birmingham and Luton. Monarch also confirms an order for six next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliners to lead the long-haul fleet from 2010, with three new Airbus A321s joining the short-haul fleet in 2007.

2007: Monarch launches flights to Ibiza from Luton, Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester, and forms a partnership with dance music label Hed Kandi to target the youth market for the first time - the deal also sees Monarch livery a Boeing 757 with the distinctive Hed Kandi branding.

cabot
4th Apr 2008, 21:40
Are Monarch still operating these aircraft? I had to endure a Barbados-LGW flight 2 years ago via Gander refuel stop and they seemed to rattle and pitch all over the place when we encountered tubulence around Antigua

tubby linton
4th Apr 2008, 22:46
They are still in service and will be replaced by the B787 when it ever appears!

BYALPHAINDIA
5th Apr 2008, 00:51
I remember seeing a poster at TFS a few weeks back which said 'Monarch - proud to be handled by Spain's National Carrier' or something to that extent.

REPLY BYALPHAINDIA

Is this something to do with IB now flying into GIB??

Happy 40th Monarch Airlines.:ok:

Here's to another 40 years of happy flying.:D

BYALPHAINDIA
5th Apr 2008, 00:55
BTW, Does anyone know how many 757's are to be based at MAN for this summer??

I'm Hoping to get a flight on NB or NE before November.

Thanks for Any Replies.;)

IB4138
5th Apr 2008, 07:07
BYALPHAINDIA

Monarch have been handled by IB in Spain, for many years. It is not a new development.

Blighty Pilot
5th Apr 2008, 07:33
1 757 @ MAN, 1 757 @ EDI, 1 757 @ DUB and the remaining 4 active at LGW. The aircraft rotate around the bases to accomodate maintanence requirements amoungst other things. You may well be lucky and see NB or NE in Manchester at some point this summer before they are sent off to be converted to cargo a/c at the end of October.

londonmet
5th Apr 2008, 09:57
Hi,

I believe there are two 757's at MAN this summer.

L Met

OPS1978
5th Apr 2008, 10:26
Happy 40th Birthday Monarch.....

Mr @ Spotty M
5th Apr 2008, 11:37
All the B757 will be rotated through MAN at sometime during the summer as routine Hangar maintenance will be carried out at MAN.:ok:

TheQuietLife
5th Apr 2008, 18:44
I remember seeing a poster at TFS a few weeks back which said 'Monarch - proud to be handled by Spain's National Carrier' or something to that extent.

REPLY BYALPHAINDIA

Is this something to do with IB now flying into GIB??

As already said by IB4138, Monarch have been handled (at some airports) by IB for years.

But I'm curious, or don't get your post, - why did you think it had anything to do with GIB?!?

OltonPete
7th Apr 2008, 14:08
Excellent and quick response from Monarch even if the answers I got
were not what I wanted: -

"Thank you for your e-mail. We did consider having an aircraft painted in
the original livery but it was not deemed the right option at this point
in time. With regards to A321 G-OZBR, this hybrid livery has only
occurred because the aircraft was delivered late from its previous owner
and as such missed its slot in the paint shop. We are looking for an
alternative slot for this to be liveried at the moment but given the
summer season is just about to begin it may be difficult to achieve this
side of summer.

With regard to Birmingham/Murcia and Birmingham/Almeria, these services
are not going to be operating for the Winter season but will return next
summer.

Best regards,

XXXXX XXXXXXXXXX"

End of note and names deleted.

Shame about the retro scheme, I think this would have been a winner especially as BR will have to be painted at some time.

Will Ryanair pounce on the BHX - MJV although Baby should have some
flights this winter. Two or three a week Almeria would not go amiss either
if anyone from FR are reading this.

Pete

BYALPHAINDIA
7th Apr 2008, 19:40
Quiet Life, I just had an idea that last years IB commencement at GIB, was part of the agreement with IB handling MON at Esp Airports.??:confused:

TheQuietLife
7th Apr 2008, 19:51
BYALPHAINDIA, IB are very much operating into Gib, not from it. They have no ground handling presence in Gib. And anyway GIB is not a Spanish airport.
- As such I really couldn't see any link!
Never mind...

BYALPHAINDIA
8th Apr 2008, 00:41
Very good enjoy GIB.:bored:

compton3bravo
8th Apr 2008, 06:39
Two things. Firstly I think you will find that Gibair Handling do all civil handling at Gibraltar and is owned by the Bland Group which sold GB Airways to easyJet. According to local press reports that they have got to get there act together and cut costs to try and compete with the likes of Malaga and Seville airports on a more commercial basis as easyJet etc will have to think seriously about continuing with UK-Gibraltar flights.
Secondly, regarding Tim Jeans complaining about the cost of parking aircraft at Luton when not in use. Surely it would be better to have the aircraft flying if at all possible rather than sitting on the ground. Everybody knows that aircraft do not make any money unless they are in the air and remember where Mr Jeans used to work for some years ago – an airline which has a harp on its tail!

Powerjet1
8th Apr 2008, 08:20
http://www.abtn.co.uk/Monarch_787_delays

pabely
8th Apr 2008, 16:08
Any of you Girls/Guys lucky enough to serve on this flight?
http://www.flymonarch.com/cnt/news/index.asp?hdlId=1237

BYALPHAINDIA
14th Apr 2008, 03:30
Monarchs pricing???

Went on Monarch's site again the other day, I just can't see where the 'discounts' are??

If anything the prices have risen, Probably due to fuel etc.

The thing that bothers me is, I keep getting e-mails 3 a week saying 50% & 75% off book now until a certain date, I go on and find no cheaper fares??

Yes, I would love to book, But not at £132 ret + £5 each way for seats to ALC for a 2 night short break.

All May's, June's, July's flights are all priced at over £101 ret.

I would book Bmibaby but the timings are not as good.

I just fancy a change from TOM.;)

At ZB's ret fares, We might as well go for a week??

You would think they would recognise this??

TSR2
14th Apr 2008, 08:09
The discount advertised by Monarch is an 'extra web discount'. That is: extra discount for booking on the web only. It is not a discount on the ticket price.

Example:
Standard web discount - £5
70% Extra discount - £8.50

BYALPHAINDIA
14th Apr 2008, 21:14
True, But theyr'e not the cheapest in the draw.

Mr @ Spotty M
14th Apr 2008, 21:26
Yes, but you get what you pay for, l ask the question how many flights have Monarch cancelled over the last few years for weather delays, ATC failures, terrorist incidents and baggage failures, the answer is Zero.
You will not get to the check in desk and be told sorry flight cancelled we will get you out on first seats available, that will be in four days time.
During the snow at Gatwick the other weekend a flight was unable to depart due to the airport being snow closed, when finally open crew run out of hours. Now most airlines cancel the flight and your on your own, no Monarch fly out pax the next morning, not over the next week.:ok:

Centre cities
14th Apr 2008, 22:15
Must admit as a punter I am always willing to pay a little more to fly Monarch to Malaga from BHX than the others on offer from BHX/EMA/COV. I do however usually find their prices on a par with the others, more often than not.

A happy regular customer.

Centre cities

Alloy
14th Apr 2008, 22:19
BYALPHAINDIA - You get what you pay for including as you say better timings for yourself, also why do you think a short stay compared to week stay return should be a significantly different price if the demand for the flights are the same over those dates?:confused:

LGS6753
19th Apr 2008, 13:10
Monarch website is currently advertising for CC at both Dublin and Edinburgh. Are these both existing bases, or is this a new venture?

airhumberside
19th Apr 2008, 13:33
EDI is a long standing summer only charter base
AFAIK DUB is a new base, previously operated by UK based crews

Easy Ryder
20th Apr 2008, 15:45
Right so MON are doing the initial A330 type training for the RAF's new fleet of tankers/transports.

Apparently 14 on order of which only 9 will be used and 5 leased out to a UK operator where they can be recalled on short notice....

So will MON take 1 or more of these spare 330's? When pigs fly methinks! :E

adam12345
21st Apr 2008, 14:59
I see that Monarch are re-starting there Manchester - Gibraltar service, starting from September. The service will run three times weekly on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

It would be nice to see Monarch expand there route network from BHX...:ok::ok:

dublindispatch
21st Apr 2008, 20:50
Re the Dub base, it appears that unlike previous Summers when Dub had the AB6 fri thru sun nite there is now an AB6 in Dub, Thur to Mon, 1 757 all week, another 757 fri sat and sun and an a330 popping over to SFB on a Fri.

But regards teh crew they are telling me on the Dub based a/c at the minute that the 2 senior C/C still Man or Lgw based with the rest of the recruited local in Dub with a guarantee of ONLY doing Dub flights!!! Mind you who wants to fly to LPA at 0145local on a sunday!!!!!!! Oh yes Monarch do!!!:eek:

im going in
22nd Apr 2008, 06:54
dublindispatch

I think yr find its the tour operator thats wants to fly to LPA at 0145local on a Sunday, and I bet that most flights are full.

dublindispatch
22nd Apr 2008, 19:20
No its Monarch!!! They get a whopping rebate if they operate after 1am and b4 5 am!!! Same flight operated last yearat 2345

TartinTon
22nd Apr 2008, 22:55
No it's not Monarch, dublindispatch. All Monarch does is supply the aircraft and crew. The tour operator decides the rest as long as it makes for a valid operation. The only reason Monarch flies it is because the tour operator doesn't have the resources in-house to fly it themselves. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

dublindispatch
24th Apr 2008, 20:53
kinda strange cause it was there station manager who saids that the only times they could OFFER the tour operator!!

Mr @ Spotty M
24th Apr 2008, 21:14
Maybe it was the only gap in the flying program available for a trip of that length.

TartinTon
24th Apr 2008, 22:03
Sounds like you heard what you wanted to hear. They are flying a programme not a one-off flight. You can't fly every flight at 9am local dep. Give me strength. Obviously it's Monarchs fault that there aren't 16 hours in the morning.....:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Easy Ryder
26th Apr 2008, 17:07
Quote from Tim Jeans:

"After months of rumour Boeing has now confirmed to us the extent of the problems with the 787 production programme and the consequent effect this will have on the delivery schedule of our six aircraft.

"Boeing’s ability to ramp up production rates after the first deliveries was always the high risk factor in the programme and they have now confirmed that they will be unable to match their original estimates and are now planning on production build up in line with that they were able to achieve on the 777 programme. Taking the 777 programme as the benchmark, this would mean a 30 month delay to our first delivery and similar delays to the other five aircraft. The best case scenario is therefore that we would see the 787 in service for Summer 2013 which clearly has significant implications for the interim period.

"We are now working closely with Boeing on opportunities for them to assist us with interim aircraft to bridge the capacity gap in our programme. Inevitably some of the alternatives they will offer will be commercially sensitive, but we will share with you the possible options as soon as they are known to us."

vinnym
24th May 2008, 08:18
Anyone know what aircraft monarch are using on the Sunday 07.00 fligh manchester to Preveza this summer?

longarm
24th May 2008, 08:43
tis the A300

vinnym
24th May 2008, 08:47
Thanks for the info longarm :ok::ok::ok:

Fuel Crossfeed
24th May 2008, 09:49
If its working!!:E:E

bigMANofMAN
24th May 2008, 16:59
I see Monarch have another HedKandi liveried 757 for the summer.
G-MONJ is the a/c in question.

See a couple of pics here
Aircraft.
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6253799
Tail.
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6253800

The tail colours are allegedly the original Monarch Uniform from 40 years ago !!
Looks great !!!! :)

Flightrider
24th May 2008, 18:08
Significant improvement over last year's scheme which looked like the aircraft had been parked in one of Crawley's less salubrious districts overnight and subjected to some graffiti.

ExpectmorePayless
24th May 2008, 23:27
Nice colours. :O
Shame about the passengers. :}
Does Hed Kandi have a drugs connotation ? :oh:

tigermike
25th May 2008, 09:01
Could somebody let me know whether this is flown by an A330 or B767?
What is the seat pitch and IFE?

Cheers

TSR2
25th May 2008, 09:40
Listed as B763. Sorry but know seat pitch on this aircraft.

MUFC_fan
25th May 2008, 12:08
29" I think.

Not sure about the IFE. Never flown long haul with MON and not sure whether the 763 has a full company cabin.

tigermike
25th May 2008, 12:25
Thanks for the info TRS 2 and MUFC_fan.
Probably going to feel cramped having only flown scheduled or FCA on long haul before.
It was only booked yesterday as a cheap last minute holiday.

MUFC_fan
25th May 2008, 13:03
If you fly often with FCA, TOM, EK etc. I guarantee you will feel cramped! Don't expect the same quality of service either. I'm not saying that MON's service is bad as I have never flown with them long haul, only short, but I would guess it will not be as good as the FCA service which is fantastic.

Memetic
27th May 2008, 14:28
Currently on the beach in MBA with people wondering what happened to this flight - they are waiting to take it home - 24 hour delay - the rep knows little.

Can anyone shed some light?

ROSSKi MYT
27th May 2008, 15:57
Does anyone know what happend to Monarch operating from GLA. In 2005 or 2006 they had a based A320 for the summer, was this on behalf of someone? Also no SFB flight from GLA this ear.

GrahamK
27th May 2008, 16:30
Re the MBA delays.

Presumably a knock on affect from the flight which went tech in SSH a few days back, dunno if it was an A300 or A332 though

Mr @ Spotty M
27th May 2008, 16:58
A332 stuck in SSH since Sunday, hoping to dept tonight to MBA after it gets back from SSH.
Not been a good weekend all-round, on the various fleets.:{

bligpants
2nd Jun 2008, 14:01
I've noticed over the last month or so some big ZB delays into MAN on one or two flights a day. Today, 699 seems to be the one that's had the fickle finger of fate and is showing up as expected 7h 15 late.

Is a 321 missing or something?

A330ETOPS
2nd Jun 2008, 15:23
It seems every one of their departures are deleyed today. My parents were hoping to be on their way to agp 3hrs ago, but still stranded in T1. They're subbing flights out on Thomsonfly, Flightline & Hellas

A330ETOPS
2nd Jun 2008, 16:49
The Agp's gone on the 330 this afternoon :O

Mr @ Spotty M
2nd Jun 2008, 19:11
Yes they are a A321 down and a A300 down, all on "C" Checks.
Flightline are being used this week to cover for the A321.
The A300 is being covered by a TUI B767-200, but pulled out of today's sub due to TUI's own problems.
An A300 will be out for most of this month.:{

A330ETOPS
2nd Jun 2008, 19:34
The Malaga went on the AB6 this afternoon 3hrs late. Not been a good few days for monarch

CabinCrewe
2nd Jun 2008, 20:44
Monarch operating from GLA. In 2005 or 2006 they had a based A320 for the summer
Monarch have NOT had a based aircraft at Glasgow for the past 10 years.
There has been regular once weekly summer only flights to AGP+/- ALC with the EDI based aircraft, with short series flights to SFB.

BYALPHAINDIA
3rd Jun 2008, 01:08
Come on Tim stay with us...:ugh:

Think MON/ZB are going through what XLA went through about 4 years ago.:mad:

BYALPHAINDIA
3rd Jun 2008, 01:10
OZBS is due anytime isn't it????

Mr @ Spotty M
3rd Jun 2008, 05:05
No, not due into service until end of August, delivery mid August.
Mon just not having a good start to the Summer season, with tech issues, just one of those things.:{
Hopefully all the bad luck has happened in just the one month, did not start well with steps hitting a B757 on the first day down route.
At least ZB don't cancel flights, like other airlines do at the drop of a hat, they may combine or delay flights and will sub in to cover an emergency.:ok:

bligpants
4th Jun 2008, 09:41
I agree with you SpottyM, if there is a ZB cancellation (one ACE showed up as cancelled last week) there's normally a pretty good reason for it and it always seems to be a last resort cancellation.

I know it's a bit early to start thinking about summer 09 but I'm just wondering whether or not a similar overall ZB/MON schedule as this year can be reliably operated when MONB and NE go off to Fedex, with NC and ND not far from retirement either, and just BS to come (so far) as a replacement.

Mr @ Spotty M
4th Jun 2008, 16:57
I would guess that the ZB routes will be about the same, as the B757 are now in charter config only.
I know that all the fleets operate the odd ZB during the summer including A300 and B757s all without the extra leg room seats, but the ZB fleet is the A320/321s.
Only time will tell, but at the moment NC & ND will be around for a year or two yet.
The ACE flight might have been a MON flight and not due to operate just yet.:ok:

TartinTon
4th Jun 2008, 17:41
Err...actually the 757s were modified for the ZB operation to allow extra legroom sales at the front of the aircraft. They used to be in charter config when they were 235 config, then 2 of them got changed to 213 config for ZB before they all went back to 235 and then the decision was made to make them ZB-able again by taking out a row and re-spacing the first 4 rows if memory serves correctly?

A320fan
4th Jun 2008, 19:02
Bromley Tour Operations or Monarchs owners have rebranded the whole company as the Monarch Travel Group.

The package holiday side 'Cosmos' is now called Monarch Holidays and over the next 12 moths will be dramatically adapted to follow the trent set by Jet2Holidays, to take advantage of the scheduled flight operations combined with dynamic packages.

This will spell the end of Monarch Charter at bases such as Manchester and Gatwick as their entire leisure operation will be based on the scheduled network, with the exception of destinations such as Egypt and Florida which will still be generally sold of the 7 or 14 night options.

So interesting times ahead for Monarch, this confirms that all the 757's will be phased out for more of the Airbus variants for the scheduled operations.

MUFC_fan
4th Jun 2008, 19:13
Does this mean the scheduled market will be grown? ie) MAN-Greek islands etc. or will these remain 7/14 nights?

Also, LPA is not a scheduled destination from MAN - assuming it will become one?

A320fan
4th Jun 2008, 19:28
Does this mean the scheduled market will be grown? ie) MAN-Greek islands etc. or will these remain 7/14 nights?

Also, LPA is not a scheduled destination from MAN - assuming it will become one?

Good question, as no specific destinations have been mentioned yet, I have only been given access to the corporate branding and future direction of the business not great specifics.

Not that i'm comparing Jet2 and Monarch, but they are becoming more and more similar. Jet2 offer Herlaklion and Paphos with twice weekly rotations so you can get a good range of 4,5,7,10,11,14 combinations with Jet2Holidays so I am assuming that Monarch will go down that route with the *majority* of its routes. There are always routes which will be dominated by packages rather than seat only sales but personally I expect Monarch in a few years time to be completely scheduled with fully dynamic packages much like Jet2 & Jet2Holidays.

qwertyuiop
4th Jun 2008, 19:46
A320 fan.

I can't work out whether you are being serious or not. Sure COSMOS is changing name but why does that mean the Boeings are going? A lot of charter routes are beyond the 320/321 range. Think you are a bit confused!!

BYALPHAINDIA
4th Jun 2008, 22:31
No the 757's won't be rushing off, The 787 is now 3 years late:hmm:

longarm
4th Jun 2008, 23:48
4 757's going next year. Replacements to be announced.

BYALPHAINDIA
5th Jun 2008, 01:25
It will be a sad day when 4 757's go.:sad:

Take MONB, Longtime workhorse since 83, Sadly cannot drive forever, But will be hard to find another MONB.

I bet it could land on PMI's 24 blind. LOL:D

Like our BYAD, another longtime workhorse, Built 92 And EROPS equiped.:D

Easy Ryder
5th Jun 2008, 11:10
Yeah 4 75's definitely going and 3 brand new 321s which GB/EZY do not require. Deliveries start in winter i think.

And i've heard the 76 will be dry leased somewhere?

Hell every base has a different rumor. In MAN were definitely getting 2 more 330s and in LGW we're buying out XL!!

Who knows! :}

Mr @ Spotty M
5th Jun 2008, 16:13
Well up to last week, only two B757s going this year as no replacement B757s available at the costing we want, due to operational costs on other two are low.
No A330s available either and B767 lease is wet and not dry.
As l said this was the situation last week, but who knows and yes l do know that Easyjets A321s are available and have been since the new year.

Wellington Bomber
5th Jun 2008, 16:27
There might be quite a few new a/c available on the market in the next few weeks with United and Continental grounding a few?

airhumberside
5th Jun 2008, 16:52
UA are only grounding B737 and B747's

What will this mean for EDI, were the main tour operator on flights is Airtours/Thomas Cook, and indeed other 3rd party work MON do?

Mr @ Spotty M
5th Jun 2008, 20:53
"airhumberside" MON put the aircraft where the work is, hence two in DUB this summer.
It always depends on how much the likes of TCX/MYT do in house and how much they off load to MON and other airlines.

airhumberside
5th Jun 2008, 21:09
So with this new scheduled strategy for current in house Cosmos charters, MON would still do 3rd party charters, assusming they aren't done in house by the client (e.g. TCX at EDI)? Or in other words Monarch will still do charter?

Mr @ Spotty M
6th Jun 2008, 05:23
Around 40% of Monarchs work is still in charter work and l guess will still continue for many years to come, think about what the B787s are for, when they turn up some time in the next decade.
On the Cosmos front, if you Google you will end up at Monarch Holidays, but if you put into your browser "cosmos-holidays" you will still get Cosmos.
So it is a branding issue to sell more Cosmos holidays and link every thing to the group and make it easy for Joe public.

firstforfirstchoice
9th Jun 2008, 12:22
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what aircraft operates the ZB737 into LGW from AGP on Friday 20th June.

I thought the A300 operates that one, but the seat plan looks like an A330 for that day, but am unsure.

If anyone can help or confirm, would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

MUFC_fan
9th Jun 2008, 12:52
Seems to be scheduled as a A321, but as you say the configuration is different.

It is however, an A300 if my eyes are correct. If you look there is no row eight when selecting a seat. When looking at the A330 seat map there is no row 7, the A300 is missing a row 8.

So looks like it is to be an A300!:ok:

EGCC7955
9th Jun 2008, 17:23
After being at Manchester today i happen to notice that 3 different Monarch flights were operated by aircraft hired from other operators and one charter being Mon1217 arrived over 18 hours late from Zakynthos,
Is there a sudden shortage of company aircraft or have Monarch just won too much work this season to be able to cope? :rolleyes:

411A
9th Jun 2008, 17:33
Don't know specifically about now, however I have done sub-service for Monarch before, and it was usually for unserviceable aircraft or aircraft delayed out of heavy maintenance.
Also, I must say...Monarch has one of the best flight dispatch departments that I have come across in over forty years of airline flying...Monarch, top-notch folks.:ok:

groundstargatwickops
9th Jun 2008, 17:36
the deleyed zante flight was due to the earthquake greece had yesterday, monarch had a few flights nightstop in greece before returning home. Most of monarchs sub-charters are due to tech aircraft.

Blue Sky / Blue Sea
9th Jun 2008, 17:54
They don't seem to have allot of luck, one of their A300 blew a tyre on landing in CFU this morning. It went with a bang, locals thought it was another earthquake....!!!!:cool:

EGCC7955
9th Jun 2008, 18:09
they're not having luck at all, especially not in Manchester,

ZB660 Malaga has just pushed back just over 3 hours late and ZB676 Alicante has just pushed 1hr and 20 late.

Isn't it strange that Gatwick or any other base isn't getting any other delays worth mentioning, looks like Manchester gets all the trouble to cope with again. I wonder if the great Mr. Brown would let this happen on his doorstep at LTN? mmm... i think not...

BYALPHAINDIA
9th Jun 2008, 18:10
As much look as anyone else:ugh:

G-AZUK
9th Jun 2008, 18:22
except Brown's back door isnt LTN :(:(:(

BYALPHAINDIA
9th Jun 2008, 18:40
G-FFFC - 'ACARSD' is your friend.

Every movement is there.:ok:

BYALPHAINDIA
9th Jun 2008, 19:06
True, I just hope LTN continues to be TOM's backyard for the future.:D

A large part of the FP is done in 'Tui Land' Germany now.

Mr @ Spotty M
9th Jun 2008, 21:13
May be its the MAN aircraft that are going tech, which is why the delays are at MAN.
Two Subs are to cover a A300 which is on a planned "C" check, they are using a 767-200 of TUI and the overspill on the second aircraft.
As pointed out MON were short due an a/c stuck in ATH overnight on its way to ZTH, plus an EFL operating today from yesterdays flying program, due to the quake.
As pointed out the A300 in CFU will not of helped.

BYALPHAINDIA
9th Jun 2008, 23:52
BYAB running around for MON.

CFU flight was not too delayed in the end.

IB4138
10th Jun 2008, 07:19
Titan operated two of MON's MAN flights yesterday.

LGW ops over the last week, have not been free of problems either.

CentreFix25
10th Jun 2008, 07:38
A330 which passed through NCL at the weekend was running approx 4 hours late, maybe just subbing to catch up?

Mr A Tis
10th Jun 2008, 08:52
The MAN-BCN route was hit by 6 & 8 hour delays at the back end of May, so the Monarch delays this summer aren't new.

MUFC_fan
10th Jun 2008, 09:53
What?! So there are more airlines that have delays than Flyglobespan?! Well...I never!:ok:

If we are on that subject the worst delay I have ever witnessed was by a MON competitor - TCX. I was in Cayo Coco three summers ago and a flight from MAN was delayed 48 hours! They got the aircraft over the Atlantic and it had to return, then there were more problems and it too 2 days to get the plane out the Cuba. As we were one of the nearest hotels to the airport we housed a lot of the passengers returning home and I really felt for them.

So if your are experiencing an hour or two delay and think that you are the most unlucky person in the world - have a thought for those passengers.:ok:

BYALPHAINDIA
10th Jun 2008, 11:21
Dont mind on the way back, 2 more hours away from the UK. :DLOL

Mr Angry from Purley
10th Jun 2008, 18:22
ZB Alicante running 1 hr 20 mins late - face bovvered :\

Jetscream 32
10th Jun 2008, 20:03
Hola,

any crew of the Mon 3106 to tenerife on here this friday? - need a favour!:ok:

bplgaz
17th Jun 2008, 13:31
Flying out on Friday to Larnaca courtesy of Monarch PR dept from Man.
Certainly hope we don't see the kind of delays seen on here.
We land at 0250 on Tuesday and I'm in work at 11.
Might have to make that 'still in Cyprus' call!

Mr @ Spotty M
17th Jun 2008, 16:23
Monarch have been having problems at Man, evidently due to staff shortages with our handling agents at Man.
Noticed this morning a few flights delayed due to late boarding, no idea who's fault this is down to.
Have a good flight.:ok:

CitiflyerMan
25th Jun 2008, 17:14
Tremendous delay on the ZB649
No APU when the aircraft arrived in LCA
First air start unit wasn't providing enough pressure.
Second got the left engine running, just in time for the starter on the right to go...
22 hour delay, compounded on arrival in MAN by the lack of a GPU...
No APU on the plane, 15 mins waiting otherwise we would have been plunged into darkness...
All the fun of the fair with MON!!!

What an utterly useless post. I bet you post on your local community forum complaining when the postman is 10 mins late. Oooohh errr.

Put yourself in my position - interested in all things airline, esp UK airlines. I see a post on the Monarch thread. I think "oh I wonder what's been said, maybe something about recruitment that I can pass onto my friends that need jobs". I click.

"JESUS CHRIST what a nob head" I think.

CFM.

PS

I was late for work last week, caused the LGW - AGP to run 1 min late......oh no hit the panic button and relay on PPruNe!

HAHAHAHA

jubilee
30th Jun 2008, 23:43
Looks like Monarch have increased the price of the extra leg room seats.

Regards,
Jubilee

Tight Seat
1st Jul 2008, 09:35
Looks like fuel is north of $140. Oxfam is a charity, not Monarch.

captaintrigger
11th Jul 2008, 10:31
CelebAir takes to the skies with Monarch

- Real plane, Real people, Real celebrity service -

Award winning leisure airline Monarch will be sharing its 40 years of aviation experience with a host of famous faces from Monday 14 July, as its sets about training a group of celebrities, who must measure up to Monarch’s standards and take on roles across the airline including cabin crew, check-in and ticket desk.

The training is in anticipation of a new ITV2 show, CelebAir, which will be televised in the Autumn and will see the celebrities working for the airline over an eight week period. During this time they will be flying customers from London Gatwick to a host of top European destinations as they battle it out to become CelebAir’s star employee and win money for their chosen charity. Faced with the challenges and situations that are presented to Monarch staff on a regular basis, the celebrities will be rated and judged by their own customers as well as Monarch staff, with the worst performing celebrity each week being given the boot.

CelebAir flights will operate to destinations such as Faro, Alicante, Malaga, Ibiza, Menorca, Tenerife and Cyprus, with customers being able to book seats on these flights via Monarch. A Monarch airbus has been rebranded and will operate in CelebAir colours until the end of the series, with CelebAir customers booked on flights being served by celebrities on the ground and in the sky, as they all endeavour to deliver Monarch’s exemplary customer care whilst keeping a smile on their faces at 35,000 feet!

Commenting on the CelebAir partnership, managing director of Monarch Airlines, Tim Jeans said, "As the most experienced airline in the UK, who better to provide the support and infrastructure for the celebrities and CelebAir than Monarch? Celebrating our 40th anniversary this year, no UK carrier has a better knowledge of the airline industry than we do and we are proud to be sharing this expertise with the celebrities and taking responsibility for their training and mentoring."

Also commenting on CelebAir, Zai Bennett, Controller of ITV2 said: "CelebAir promises to be a huge reality event this autumn on ITV2. It is an incredibly ambitious project on a scale not seen before in reality TV. This definitely isn't a show for work-shy celebrities, we're taking on a real plane, with real passengers with real holidays to go on - it promises to be an amazing trip."

Prior to starting work, the celebrities will all undergo and pass Monarch’s rigorous six-week training programme which is regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and they will be required to adhere to these standards whilst working for CelebAir. They will be monitored and mentored by Monarch staff at all times, with the pressure on to remain a CelebAir crew member for as long as possible and ultimately win the show!

CelebAir will be televised on ITV2 in the Autumn, with seats on CelebAir flights being available to book from Monday 14 July.

luvly jubbly
11th Jul 2008, 11:28
Great.... Maybe Ant & Dec can learn to fly...

Further cheapening of the industry:ugh:

Would you ever see celebrity operating theatre????:mad::mad::mad:

S78
11th Jul 2008, 11:41
Hopefully it's part of a plan to fly celebs out of the country - never to return....:ooh:

S78

tangocharlie
11th Jul 2008, 11:41
....another chance to see Jade Goody...cant wait!!!!

S78
11th Jul 2008, 11:49
Here's one for you:

On entering the RZ, who would you support?

a) The egotistical Z-list celeb
b) The egotistical security goon
c) Neither - pray for mutually assured destruction

S78

west lakes
11th Jul 2008, 11:57
Also here

http://www.pprune.org/forums/jet-blast/332753-hate-idea-already.html

luvly jubbly
11th Jul 2008, 12:11
Thanks West Lakes.

Found this photo:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/4/7/9/1369974.jpg

K.Whyjelly
11th Jul 2008, 13:10
CelebAir takes to the skies

Commenting on the CelebAir partnership, managing director of Monarch Airlines, Tim Jeans said, "As the most experienced airline in the UK, who better to provide the support and infrastructure for the celebrities and CelebAir than Monarch? Celebrating our 40th anniversary this year, no UK carrier has a better knowledge of the airline industry than we do and we are proud to be sharing this expertise with the celebrities and taking responsibility for their training and mentoring .

I think bmi who have been going for 70 odd years (albeit with a couple of name changes over the years) might question the bit from Mr Jeans about no UK airline having a better knowledge of the airline industry...............

ATIS
11th Jul 2008, 14:07
Why do these bufoons really think their enititled to the term celebrity. Ohh yes I forgot, its because its for charity.

Al Scarface Pacino is a celebrity.

Anyways I'm Monarch LGW based so hopefully I'll get to watch them mess it up personally.

How long before Jade Goody asks wheres Spain

OliWW
11th Jul 2008, 14:42
I would be a scared passenger if Amy Winehouse appeared on my flight. (No Offense) I would be suprised if she even knew what a plane was...

Flightrider
11th Jul 2008, 14:44
Only 'cos she can normally reach 20,000 feet without the aid of an aeroplane.

student88
11th Jul 2008, 20:03
TJ doesn't know much - he's a manager, not a spotter.

Shed-on-a-Pole
12th Jul 2008, 11:50
Any chance of inviting Naomi Campbell to experience life from the crew's point of view??? Now that would be worth watching.

patrick62
12th Jul 2008, 22:24
Hi ive seen that Spotty have dropped the LEI route for the winter,does anyone on here know if it will be back for Summer 2009.

Havent been on G-MONX for a while out of LUT is the old lady still based there?

student88
13th Jul 2008, 17:09
I think NX is down in LGW - I saw it there twice last week.

S88:ok:

smudgethecat
14th Jul 2008, 13:31
I think the big stumbling block may well be the fact that these morons will have to actually pass the cabin crew training course to allow them to operate as crew ,now that possibly could be a very big problem (i trust there will be no short term dumbing down of standards to accomodate them)

captaintrigger
24th Jul 2008, 21:29
Does anyone know who the Celebs are yet?

I have heard -

Chicco
Michelle Marsh
Lisa Scott Lee
Dane Bowers
Gareth Gates

Any one In the Know?

BerksFlyer
24th Jul 2008, 21:32
So they're aren't actually proper celebrities...

GrahamK
24th Jul 2008, 22:42
Berksflyer

Dunno about you, but I wouldn't mind seeing Michelle Marsh fitting into a FA's dress :E

tangocharlie
25th Jul 2008, 08:15
Heard Tamara Beckwith was another, although pregnant so presumably ground duties!

Porrohman
6th Aug 2008, 09:48
A Monarch 757 had to return to EDI on 23 June for an emergency landing with a hydraulic leak. Another Monarch 757 suffered a hydraulic leak at EDI on 5th August, this time on stand and with pax loaded ready for departure. Are these just random incidents or is there a wider problem?

hapzim
6th Aug 2008, 16:08
Looks just random to me. Anything mechanical likely to brake down usually when it's most inconvient. I've had several hydraulic leaks on different aircraft flown over the years usually when you put a demand on the system.

Had the brakes go on a car once, a couple of days after it had been serviced, on steep hill which made life exciting for a moment or too.

silverstreak
6th Aug 2008, 21:04
No major problem with the Monarch B757s, or EDI...

The based B757 (rotated regularly between MONB and MONE), is very efficient and has suffered more due to the EDI runway closures SUN-THU nights, than to technical issues. Diverts to GLA have caused major issues as crew rapidly run out of hours - in one instance last week, out of hours after the first sector (EDI-TFS). A crew positioned MAN-TFS to operate the flight back to EDI...

Think about it. The Monarch B757s are of the HIGHEST time B757s in commercial operation, anywhere in the world! G-MONB can claim the title of 'The Highest Time - Hours wise - B757 In The World'.

Boeing allegedly want to buy this aircraft from Monarch once its retired from the fleet and do a 'tear-down' inspection on it, to see how life has been treating it over the years and to see what stresses and strains have been inflicted.

Got to hand it to the guys n gals at Monarch. They have looked after it well, as is the rest of the fleet. Consider that this aircraft hardly spends any time on the deck in EDI. It gets mandatory turnaround checks by MON engineers, and thats it. Occassional maintenance between sectors, which is rare.

Compare this to other airlines, with less rigerous schedules... and compare the punctuality!

WELL DONE MONARCH :ok:

smudgethecat
6th Aug 2008, 21:31
My god!! an aircraft suffered a hydraulic leak ,how awful, whatever could have caused that? most unusual, and those aircraft cannot be more than a quarter of a century old, something very fishy going on at monarch methinks, perhaps a special safety check by the CAA is due, we dont want dear old monarch going the way of that dodgy aussie outfit do we?

happydays39
6th Aug 2008, 22:14
Silverstreak - I heard that NB and NE were heading off to a cargo airline after the summer season, so no rest for these machines quite yet!

Porrohman
7th Aug 2008, 09:49
It was very encouraging to see Monarch take steps to get their EDI programme back on track asap. They flew another 757 up form LGW on 23rd June to replace the a/c that went tech. They then had the tech a/c repaired and back in service in time to fly the afternoon sectors with just a slight delay. :D

btw. I understand that the 23 June incident involved G-MONE and the 5th Aug incident was G-MONB.

revo
7th Aug 2008, 18:42
Monarch scheduled have announced Larnaca twice weekly from March 2009.

Monarch are starting Amritsar from BHX from 28th October 2008.

TSR2
11th Aug 2008, 22:37
Just looked at the MAN-FAO-MAN flights for June 09, £745.47 per person .... but it does include tax........ and there is no fuel supplement.

IB4138
12th Aug 2008, 06:18
Certainly looks like they have lost the plot.

AGP-MAN-AGP for June 09 is a staggering €1112 p/p

TSR2
12th Aug 2008, 07:51
But if booked MAN-AGP-MAN it is £679.86 on same date.

Mr A Tis
12th Aug 2008, 08:51
Monarch, the low fares airline that cares.............or so it says on the web-site.
Book early & fly cheap (?) I think not.
June 2009 fares to the Canaries are around £160 return, but Malaga, Alicante & Faro come out at around £650-£1,000 return.
Guess Monarch won't need as many aircraft next summer -by the look of these fare schedules.

spud
12th Aug 2008, 11:25
Used to SLF with them a lot. Moved on when I felt they concentrated more on spin and less on doing what it said on the tin.
I seem to remember that they said that charging for meals was as a result of passenger survey responses. Pretty insulting to the intelligence. These fares are indefensible and they don't deserve to sell the seats.

Pity, it was a good product once.

IB4138
12th Aug 2008, 11:34
Just looked on BA, which calls for a change at Gatwick, for same dates.

Of the 9 flight options provided, dearest return fare is €310...and no add ons.

Jet2 are charging €111.

Would look like that someone at ZB has got a decimal place wrong in the fare calculations and the arithmetic has not been checked before input to the booking system.. :rolleyes:

TartinTon
12th Aug 2008, 11:57
I think you'll find it's just a peculiarity of their res system. The flights get loaded at the highest fare and then opened downwards as their revman guys work through the flights. Happens every year. Once the flights are all done they are officially "released" through an announcement on the website and by email to their mailing list. The only bases that get the chance to be set-up in advance of release are the first ones on sale.

For anyone who bothers to read the website...

Summer 09 routes now available from Luton and Birmingham
Plan ahead - Summer 09 routes are now available from Luton and Birmingham, book your summer holiday early and save!

Habana2118
12th Aug 2008, 16:05
Are Monarch operating the ZB IBZ routes from LGW, BHX and MAN again for summer 09? Also alot of competition on this route especially with EZY, BA, TOM etc and quite prob FR starting next summer from a number of bases too! Hope Monarch keep it as in my opinion the best carrier on this route by far!

spud
13th Aug 2008, 03:27
If these very high fares are simply a peculiarity of the reservation system, then might I suggest that they are an intentional peculiarity (rather than a dumb cock up). I very much doubt that anyone unfamiliar with reservation system peculiarities (let's call them customers), who books online now, will get a refund.

Flyer126
13th Aug 2008, 15:47
Silverstreak,
I had no idea that G-MONB is still in service with Monarch (post 232)! Checking through my logbook I see that I flew on this particular 757 on 31 August, 1988. Even then it was more than five years old!

factanonverba
13th Aug 2008, 19:09
Website has now settled down, Bhx-Agp return can now be booked for approx £110 in Jun 09.

fl dutchman
14th Aug 2008, 22:21
So what about the Monarch to Orlando 2009. Still on sale?.