PDA

View Full Version : Monarch -2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11

Airbus321-200
14th Feb 2011, 12:27
I think Monarch are looking for profitable work and bringing some work in-house and holidays sold through monarch holidays/cosmos.

Any company that say they are willing to use strategic, i'd be questioning there mental health!:8 It's nearly like saying they rely on Viking. It's just not right.

Chidken Sangwich
14th Feb 2011, 15:44
Have Cosmos really had that much of a massive increase / presence in the I.T market in the last few years as I always thought it was very poor that they (an in-house company) only had 18% of the available MON charter seats that were sold a few years ago?

Mr @ Spotty M
14th Feb 2011, 16:06
Now, l don't remember at any time that Monarch stated that the management at Olympic was not respectable.
They just lost patience in how the contract negotiations was going along.

VOM1T
15th Feb 2011, 08:33
"Monarch Group appoints new charter boss

Feb 14, 2011 07:35
John Romo has stepped up to become managing director of Monarch Group charter and ad hoc flight sales arm First Aviation. Romo, who has been with First Aviation since 2003 and was part of the initial start up team, has been general manager for two years."

seems like a conservative move in a dynamic (packaging) market ?

dublindispatch
15th Feb 2011, 10:52
Looking forward to seeing the chaps back in Dublin again this Summer. Such jolly fun and capers with them.

Airbus321-200
15th Feb 2011, 11:41
It'll be good to have the monarch guys and gals back in DUB. A nice bunch to work with.

Congratulations to John Romo on the new position.

renort
15th Feb 2011, 17:37
Does he get an extra gold star every time he disenfranchises a client?

SCANDIC
19th Feb 2011, 10:10
Does anyone know when the first Monarch 787 will arrive thats if Monarch don't give up on boeing.

TSR2
19th Feb 2011, 11:04
Does anyone know when the first Monarch 787 will arrive thats if Monarch don't give up on boeing

The last announcement by Monarch was Spring 2013 but there have been two further delays to first delivery since then.

SCANDIC
19th Feb 2011, 14:25
Do you think they will lease any extra aircraft for summer 11.

SCANDIC
20th Feb 2011, 13:28
Would Monarch consider fitting winglets to their 757's.:)

Ian Brooks
20th Feb 2011, 13:58
Cannot see it not now as the fleet is so small and not many years left in them
unless Boeing offered is as a sweetner re delayed B787

PilotsOfTheCaribbean
20th Feb 2011, 15:28
It takes about 4 year of utilization to recover the cost of fitting winglets. On young airframes this is a feasible proposition as there is also "added value" to the airframe when it is time to dispose of it through resale. On high cycle airframes the benefit is unlikely to be recovered.

Boeing (even before discounts) pitched the retail price of the 787-8 at the high end of the same price band for a 767-300. This made it very attractive and undoubtably was a major factor in the record pre-roll out sales numbers achieved. Boeing was a victim of their own optimism. They priced the construction costs on their belief that pre-assembled sections would (cost effectively) be delivered from risk bearing global partners, and be "stiched together" in just a few days in Seattle.

That optimism has fallen off a well publicised cliff! Cost overruns are rumoured (reliably) to be in the tens of billions of dollars. This means that a lot of units have been pre-sold at bargain basement prices. Notwithstanding the contractual compensation payments, Boeing would undoubtably be happy to see some of these "loss leader" orders evaporate, so that it can sell them at more realistic prices. However the customer airlines are not stupid either, and are unlikely to let them off the hook so easily.

For that reason alone, Boeing has no reason to offer "sweetners" beyond the contractual arrangements already in place.

MILEHIGHBOY
20th Feb 2011, 15:40
anyone heard MON are pulling out of EDI for S11 and TOM to takeover charter flying

Ringwayman
20th Feb 2011, 15:45
Already been mentioned on this thread (http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/404910-monarch-2-a-74.html#post6198905)

pabely
20th Feb 2011, 17:53
anyone heard MON are pulling out of EDI for S11

More than likely where the extra LTN capacity has come from.

Airbus321-200
3rd Mar 2011, 09:18
How is everything in MON these days? how are the new management?

compton3bravo
3rd Mar 2011, 09:55
Don't know about the financial side etc. but have noticed they have been doing a lot more one-off charters lately .i.e. football, rugby etc. from several UK and Irish airports. Whether this is a coincidence with the new management I do not know but they do seem to be taking on a lot more ad hoc work recently instead of aircraft lying around doing nothing. Just my observations. Any comments from ''people in know'' would be much appreciated.

on time all the time
3rd Mar 2011, 20:34
Hello,
Monarch has always done a lot of ad hoc work particularly in the spring season. Nothing more nothing less than the usual.

MUFC_fan
4th Mar 2011, 10:28
They're now the smallest mainstream charter carrier in the UK if I am correct?

The main three being TOM, TCX and then MON in that order?

I'm not sure of their scheduled services (although they always seem to be making press releases about carrying record numbers of people!) but they really do need to upgrade their long haul charter services.

FCA made a revolutionary change in 2006 (I think) when they ripped 60 seats out of their 767s. Adding personal entertainment and extra legroom at every seat put them ahead of every other carrier, both schedule and charter in the UK for hard product. TOM quickly followed pre-merger and then TCX.

If MON want to continue competing so competitively then they should certainly look at it. Maybe when the 787s arrive?

tubby linton
4th Mar 2011, 12:48
I believe that the TCX 767 upgrade was sponsored by Boeing

Airbus321-200
4th Mar 2011, 13:40
When the 787s were ordered i remember hearing about 33'' legroom in Y as a standard and ZB flights to the US. This was when TJ was around so it might be questionable.

The long haul product does need a complete revamp and 3x3x3 seating needs to go.

TartinTon
7th Mar 2011, 09:26
New 3 x weekly LTNCFU added plus converted and upped frequency on existing charter routes to BJV from BHX/MAN and LGW. All good moves! :ok:

stuart-travel
7th Mar 2011, 11:11
Monarch to add brs/ema/ncl for summer 2012 if plans are o/k with head office, t/b/c soon.
regards
stuart

monarch767
7th Mar 2011, 12:20
Maybe that is one of the big annoucements happening in May. Wonder if they are basing crew there?

compton3bravo
7th Mar 2011, 15:20
I would guess the 'new' airports would be in conjunction with the tour operator which they have signed up Monarch to operate the routes. You tell us when and where to fly to/from we will do the rest. No definite information but I think that is the way it goes but I stand corrected.

Powerjet1
7th Mar 2011, 15:39
From Travel Weekly.....

Global 2011: Monarch considers increase to regional flying
Mar 07, 2011 11:00

The Monarch Travel Group is considering adding more regional flying from 2012.

Speaking at the Global Travel Group conference in Leicester this morning, Hugh Morgan, managing director of Monarch Travel Group tour operations division, said the group was currently considering an increase in regional flying.

He said the group was looking at basing aircraft in Bristol, East Midlands and Newcastle airports.

"It is a big investment but we can't utilise a foreign carrier as people don't necessarily support it. We would have to base aircraft at the airports.

"I think we will be doing a lot more regional flying from next year."

He said a decision would be made "very soon" once the company had evaluated all the logistics involved.

The group has previously received criticism from agents for failing to do enough regional flying.

Morgan said it was a 'chicken and egg' situation. "If you're going to do it, you have to do it properly," he added.

fanrailuk
7th Mar 2011, 17:02
Yes, I read this earlier today and was quite miffed why they'd choose BRS if wanting somewhere in south/southwest - taking on BRS will be a hard job for the likes of Monarch who aren't as well known as other carriers, and obviously at BRS there's the two biggest low-cost carriers in Europe who have, I would say, most Monarch potential routes well covered. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this..! :rolleyes:

CabinCrewe
7th Mar 2011, 18:12
Just like the previous failed ABZ and NQY "regional expansion" ?

Richard Taylor
7th Mar 2011, 18:14
Yup I'm feeling a certain amount of irony...:rolleyes:

adfly
7th Mar 2011, 18:37
Is BOH a possibility - Ryanair don't seem to want to commit to it and Monarch could easily cover all of their routes anyway. They could even give TOM/TCX some competition too if they did a few charter routes. This would also help to fill the gap left by Palmair's demise. Plus it will have little impact on their existing bases as none are particularly nearby.

Centre cities
7th Mar 2011, 19:05
If it is charter flying Monarch wont have to worry about taking on Easy and Ryanair as it will not be their problem will it.

GnRdL
7th Mar 2011, 19:06
Does anybody know how many aircrafts and which models (more or less) are operated in every base? I know that it's a difficult question, but maybe someone knows something about this.

Great news during the conference this morning.

Regards

SCANDIC
7th Mar 2011, 23:03
Would Monarch need to acquire more aircraft if they were to do this.;)

SCANDIC
7th Mar 2011, 23:06
I'm very surprised after G-DIMB went back to Thomas Cook that Monarch didn't get another 767-300 from somewhere because i think that they were impressed with it.

TartinTon
8th Mar 2011, 00:30
Can't see Cosmos expanding on their own from any regional bases as the brand just isn't strong enough with enough trade presence to go it alone. Maybe, if they have buy-in from Tui or Cooks to part share then it may have some legs.

ABZ/NQY was tried as an experiment to see if there was a market, initially during the winter. It seemed to work ok until Globespan based units at ABZ which proved to be too much capacity for a market of less than 500k population. NQY decided that every pax should pay an additional £5 per departing pax for the privilige of Bettys tea bar and the man doing the refuelling, marshalling, baggage unloading......

I'd like to see ZB at LBA and STN.
Leeds is a market that is essentially cherry-picked by LS and whenever ZB have gone head-to-head with LS they seem to more than hold their own. Even when FR have come onto ZB markets in LTN/BHX/MAN they don't appear to faze them.

Stansted is starting to get some gaps appearing given EZYs fixation with LGW and FRs ending of preferential rates and with BA now looking to finally start to take LGW seriously after God knows how many years there look to be interesting times ahead (look for GO2 to set up base at LGW and take over all BA shorthaul ops possibly in conjunction with Air Berlin). ZB could capitalise on that.

Interesting times ahead...

IB4138
8th Mar 2011, 07:15
They also tried BLK, but gave that up for LS to jump in, then reduce services.

Didn't they base an aircraft at AGP to operate the above, the ABZ and NQY services?

compton3bravo
8th Mar 2011, 07:26
If my memory is correct the Blackpool and Aberdeen services were operated on W patterns and they also had problems with Aberdeen Airport regarding extensions to opening hours. Was there not an incident when an aircraft was on approach and the airport closed before it could land or had it landed and then the airport closed then had to wait until the following morning to get away. Maybe some of our local Aberdeen friends could verify this for us.

Airbus321-200
8th Mar 2011, 08:42
With regards G-DIMB, monarch were given the option of keeping it on but the decided against it. I'm not sure if they were happy with it or not but it was never going to stay in the fleet. Monarch want to streamline their fleet and adding a 767 into the mix just didnt work.

LGS6753
8th Mar 2011, 19:17
According to Travel Weekly Monarch will operate Norwich - Funchal from 9th May for Atlantic Holidays.
No info on frequency or number of flights.

Richard Taylor
8th Mar 2011, 19:52
Compton3bravo: I'll give it a go! :O

Monarch Scheduled introduced AGP - ABZ services, with a AGP-based aircraft.

At that time the operating hours at ABZ had been relaxed, so I don't recall this being a factor.

However I think MON shut the AGP base & as soon as they did that, the costs of operating the flights using a MAN-based aircraft rose to the extent that the route eventually became unviable.

I think that's what happened, but happy to be corrected!

Would still welcome MON if they decided to come back...unlikely as that is now!

partyboy_uk
8th Mar 2011, 20:44
According to Travel Weekly Monarch will operate Norwich - Funchal from 9th May for Atlantic Holidays.
No info on frequency or number of flights.

This flight is a one off. Atlantic are using a Monarch A320 every Monday throughout the summer from different regional airports including NWI, BOH, HUY, MME, IOM, BFS, LVP, PIK EDI, MSE, DSA, CWL BLK and NQY.

Airfrance7
9th Mar 2011, 15:11
Monarch A300 605 R G-MONR parked up at Manchester West side 8/3/11. I have to say that this aircraft is in shocking state and in need of a respray ASAP. If I was going on holiday tomorrow I would think twice about getting on it! Looking at all the nice shiny re-sparayed TCX aircraft it does little for company Monarch PR?

Mr @ Spotty M
9th Mar 2011, 15:56
This aircraft is going in for a check at BRU on Friday and will be repainted within the next month along with G-MAJS.
Both G-MONS & GOJMR have just been repainted.:ok:

compton3bravo
9th Mar 2011, 18:45
Many thanks Richard for your reply, good luck with Monarch for next year. Cheers C3B.

SCANDIC
9th Mar 2011, 19:21
Monarch's aircraft are in better condition than thomas cooks.:cool:

ryansf
9th Mar 2011, 21:21
Monarch's aircraft are in better condition than thomas cooks
At least TCX has some aircraft on order to replace them with. When was the last time Monarch bought a NEW aircraft (aren't most of their narrowbodies second hand?)?

Mr A Tis
9th Mar 2011, 21:30
Monarch have owned many of their fleet from new. Some are indeed second hand.
In 2006 Monarch ordered 6 x B787s with options on another 4.
Some of these should have already been delivered (and the A300s retired) late 2010. It is not Monarch's fault that Boeing have failed to deliver their new aircraft.

Serenity
9th Mar 2011, 21:51
All the A300's are not only being repainted but totally refitted inside, all new interiors and losing about 70 seats in the process. This will mean lots of direct long haul flights and leg room space that will be second to none!!

Flightrider
9th Mar 2011, 21:57
The A300 reconfig reduces from 361 to 352 seats due to the removal of one row of nine seats. I'm not sure where you are seeing/hearing of anything which suggests that the seat changes are anything greater than that.

monarch767
9th Mar 2011, 23:06
Yeah for summer 11 we are just removing one row in A cabin to make the whole for A cabin zb legroom. The a300 will be doing 60% zb this summer. For summer 12 the a/c will be completely refitted losing approx 70 (2-4-2 instead of 3-3-3) thus improving range for LH.

TSR2
9th Mar 2011, 23:11
For summer 12 the a/c will be completely refitted losing approx 70 (2-4-2 instead of 3-3-3) thus improving range for LH

The cost of a complete refit would appear to indicate that delivery of their B787's must be some way off.

Chidken Sangwich
10th Mar 2011, 11:03
Quote:
For summer 12 the a/c will be completely refitted losing approx 70 (2-4-2 instead of 3-3-3) thus improving range for LH

The cost of a complete refit would appear to indicate that delivery of their B787's must be some way off.

Shouldnt that read: The cost of a complete refit would appear to indicate that the investment in the A300's means that the delivery of their B787's is never going to happen.?

Remember the B767's...

As for 'capacity reductions' to improve range for Long Haul, are ZB launching a new Long Haul product next year then, as there's certainly no requirement for Long Haul I.T. charters...?

Ian Brooks
10th Mar 2011, 11:48
Depends on whether Monarch have got some money from Boeing to extend the lives of the A300 until B787 are ready

adfly
10th Mar 2011, 15:34
I wonder if the A330's will receive any sort of treatment as they do almost all long haul. 2-4-2 seating and a couple of extra inches of legroom along with some in seat ife would help keep them competitive until the 787's arrive(eventually!).

LGS6753
10th Mar 2011, 20:27
I'm sure Monarch will have received some compensation from Boeing for late delivery of 787s. Perhaps they have decided to invest it in extending the life of the A300s.
I'm pretty sure the A300s were operated by Monarch from new, as were most if not all the 757s and some of the A320/1 fleet.

factanonverba
10th Mar 2011, 21:01
Removing 7-8 tons(approx 70 seats and pax) of payload only just makes full fuel viable in most cases for the A300. On full tanks, landing with normal reserves, would give the a/c 7-8 hrs flt time. So you can forget long haul in this config, it would still struggle to get back from Bahrain. Fuel tank capacity is the real prevention to long haul for this a/c!

Airbus321-200
10th Mar 2011, 21:16
The A300s in the current config have done Gatwick to Bahrain with no issues for a long time so taking the seats out will make a difference. This will probably make the east coast of America viable.

I'm sure this is a boeing sponsored refit.

monarch767
11th Mar 2011, 03:52
I remember doing a Calgary - Gatwick direct on the A300 and that was with about 100 empty seats.

renort
11th Mar 2011, 12:02
You'd need to take out ALL the seats to guarantee coming back from YYC every week. A few people on here have called it right: it wont change how much gas you can put in the tanks so forget longhaul.

And no amount of seats will still stop the poxy Hyd Systems failing week in week out!

TSR2
11th Mar 2011, 15:53
Did Monarch not use the A300 on the Orlando route a few years ago.

monarch767
11th Mar 2011, 16:04
Guys feel free to correct if I'm wrong, I'm just a trolley pusher but if an a/c weighs x amount of tons less cause of seat reduction then surely it will burn less fuel on t/o and climb. So even though they can only put so much fuel in it, the fuel will last longer and increase the range???

Were not talking MLE and CUN more MBA direct

monarch767
11th Mar 2011, 16:06
The 300 only goes to SFB if the 330 is tech

Mr @ Spotty M
11th Mar 2011, 17:33
One operated MCI to BZZ direct today with just over 200 pax for the MOD.

monarch767
11th Mar 2011, 18:06
Whether it increases range or not (which I'm sure it would) that's just a bonus. The whole point of the refit is to make the onboard experience nicer for the paxs and make the toilets last longer.

LGS6753
11th Mar 2011, 20:24
I flew in a MON A300 Gatwick-Bangor-Orlando-Gatwick in 1992.
It had sufficient range......:O

Airbus321-200
11th Mar 2011, 21:14
I personally think that with the weight reductions made by the refit that the east coast of america is within range but i dont see MON using the 300 for ZB U.S. flights. I think we'll be seeing that when the 787s come.

There is obviously a plan for them to do different work but we wont hear about it for months.

boygeorgefan
11th Mar 2011, 21:46
I wonder if Monarch will lease MD11's until the 787's arrive. There was talk a few years ago.

ImPlaneCrazy
11th Mar 2011, 21:59
Airbus321 - When you say they are obviously looking to do other work; what do you mean? No longer bucket & spade routes?

Airbus321-200
11th Mar 2011, 22:09
I've heard nothing from anyone in "the know", i personally think that the 361Y config on the bucket & spade routes is fine and appeals to charters etc so why reduce that down to 280-300 pax for those routes just because the 787s are late. That gives you over 60 pax you aren't getting money from. Unless they are changing business models or planning different types of flying. Just my opinion. What does everyone else think?

Kestrel_Stu
11th Mar 2011, 22:39
I wonder if Monarch will lease MD11's until the 787's arrive.

Haha - only if Boeing is paying for the fuel! :eek:

SCANDIC
12th Mar 2011, 11:17
Just seen G-MONS with a nice new paint job,where do Monarch get their aircraft painted.

Ian Brooks
12th Mar 2011, 12:14
Air Livery at Manchester for the A300s

red 5
12th Mar 2011, 12:23
Used to be a Monarch Engineer based in Bangor in the early ninetees, regularly most days had all 4 A300's on the ground at the same time chaos in the terminal.

Mr @ Spotty M
12th Mar 2011, 15:47
Ian Brooks is correct for the A300 apart from the a/c that you referred to, which was painted at Chateauroux last month. :ok:

HP7
18th Mar 2011, 12:16
Did Monarch have a weekly MBA for African Safari Club who ceasing trading on Wednesday?

TartinTon
18th Mar 2011, 18:06
I believe the MBA is a flight with a number of different tour operators onboard

on time all the time
19th Mar 2011, 08:53
Hello,

Monarch had a strong exposure in both the Kenya program and egypt program of African Safari Club. They were the main sharer of the MBA flight. Monarch also did a LGW-CDG--MBA AND LGW-BSL-MBA,both flight every fortnight. once again the main sharer was ASC

im going in
19th Mar 2011, 23:00
On time,

Monarch operates a weekly charter to MBA which AFS had an allocation on, they were not the main charterer. They did have a fortnightly LGW-BSL-MBA though.

on time all the time
20th Mar 2011, 01:35
......and a fortnighly lgw-cdg-mba. Both flights going via France have now been cancelled.

im going in
20th Mar 2011, 15:42
On time,

The CDG series had already finished, the last departure was 09Jan.

OCEAN WUN ZERO
22nd Mar 2011, 15:59
Hi

Does anyone know where the 16 A321s will be based this year?
:)

partyboy_uk
22nd Mar 2011, 22:01
The Monarch fleet is based as follows:

A321

BHX 4
DUB 1 (Fri-Sun)
LGW 4 (one which is Mon-Thur)
LTN 2
MAN 6

A320

DUB 1
LTN 3
MAN 1

B757

LGW 2
MAN 1

A300

LGW 2
MAN 2 (one of these operates at LGW on Sat and Sun)

A330

LGW 1
MAN 1

sam1993
22nd Mar 2011, 22:27
To add to the above, one Airbus A330 will apparently operate from Denmark a couple of days per week to Florida. See here (http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/south-florida-travel/2011/02/04/comefly-fort-myers-denmark-flights-begin-june-14/)

Jamie2k9
22nd Mar 2011, 22:29
I think DUB is due to have 2 A321, think it was behind MON dropping EDI. It has being said on here many times. And which ever a/c both will only be there Fri - Sun.

partyboy_uk
23rd Mar 2011, 01:32
no, the EDI aircraft is the result of all the extra flights being operated out of LTN.

Airbus321-200
23rd Mar 2011, 09:20
The original plan for DUB was 2 x 321s but it seems that plan has changed to 1 x 321 and 1 x 320.

stuart-travel
24th Mar 2011, 10:51
Where will the 3 aircraft come from for ema/brs/ncl for the 2012 summer programme, will it see a reduction at other bases or new aircraft.

Mr @ Spotty M
24th Mar 2011, 17:32
You need to read the article again, it only said they were exploring the feasibility of operating aircraft from more regional airports, in 2012.

AP1995
24th Mar 2011, 20:58
what is the captains tour or somthing on the monarch 757 i have seen photos of it in australia etc does any know what its about?

TartinTon
24th Mar 2011, 21:35
It's Captains Choice...a series of round-the-world VIP flights that Monarch operated last year..not sure if it's going to be repeated this year.

Airbus321-200
24th Mar 2011, 22:17
There were 3 trips this winter season. I think they are almost finished.

Mr @ Spotty M
25th Mar 2011, 05:49
The aircraft arrives back Sunday afternoon into LTN and the ferries up to MAN for the decals to be removed.
My understanding is, will be repeated next winter.

PilotOfficerPrune
25th Mar 2011, 20:24
Can anyone on here explain the burgeoning number of Directors, Chief Executives, Chief Operating Officers, Directors of Learning, Programme Directors etc., etc., not to mention high-priced consultants and office-based pilots at Monarch, especially in these straitened times? What do they all do?

Can anyone explain why the 'Leadership Team' (now there's an interesting title) might find it necessary to go on a junket to Malaga for a couple of days? What can be discussed in Malaga that could not equally be discussed in the Holiday Inn Express at Luton (for example). Leadership team? Isn't that what was put in place at BA Citiexpress / BA Connect not long before its disappearance? Ex BA? Hmmmmm.............

Falcon666
26th Mar 2011, 06:15
I thought i saw a Monarch jet leaving Auckland a week or so ago-guess it was.
Couple of years ago a Thomson jet was in Christchurch--this place gets more like home every day!!!:ok:

take-off
28th Mar 2011, 01:11
Have monarch been suffering with some delays on sunday? having checked on aena around spain Mon seemed to have more than their fair share of delays Manchester bound seem to have suffered most?

Not complaining just they seems to be having a bad day:rolleyes:

Leonard320
28th Mar 2011, 18:20
Monarch did suffer some delays yesterday including a overnight stop on the LTN-ALC due to the aircraft going tech.

Sometimes aircraft go tech, problem is half the time when one goes, others follow.

As you say a bad day.

Thanks

Mr @ Spotty M
28th Mar 2011, 20:18
The one on the ALC-LTN did not go tech in the normal sense, the lifting type tug in ALC got stuck on the NLG and damaged both nose wheels.
Wheels had to come from LGW and then crew out of hours.
As they say s*** happens.

22/04
28th Mar 2011, 22:05
Was watching yesterday afternoon while reading a Ph.D thesis at that gate on the south side at LTN - trying to work out the reaction ot the 847 problem. Presumably you sent the Larnaca aircraft to TFS but had to leave before I saw how you resolved the Larnaca - and did the 9932 eventually go to MAN?

cptcollins
2nd Apr 2011, 20:23
Bit of a spotters question but what routes do Monarch use their A300's on? I know there's only a few left but noticed today they still operate out of LGW

tubby linton
2nd Apr 2011, 20:34
A300s operate Greece,Turkey,Egypt,Gambia and some of the ZB network when we over-ride the button that keeps us airborne for more than three hours per sector!

TSR2
2nd Apr 2011, 20:53
Manchester to Paphos on the ZB flight amongst others.

clareview
3rd Apr 2011, 11:16
Not sure about the reference to their being only a few (A300's) left. There are 4 (MAJS,MONR,MONS and OJMR) and, as I understand it, there were never more than 4

cptcollins
3rd Apr 2011, 19:51
So what routes out of LGW do they fly? I guess they use A330's and B757's for some of the routes over 3 hours?

Be nice to get a trip in one before they retire

partyboy_uk
3rd Apr 2011, 20:01
Here is the AB6's schedule for summer 2011:

MON
MON5620 MAN/DLM
MON7408 MAN/DLM
MON1828 MAN/CFU
MON7908 LGW/CFU
ZB216 LGW/FAO
MON5238 LGW/LXR
MON5346 LGW/DLM

TUE
ZB564 MAN/TFS
ZB532 MAN/PMI
ZB568 MAN/TFS
ZB286 LGW/TFS
MON1472 LGW/CHQ

WED
ZB640 MAN/LCA
ZB634 MAN/PFO
ZB718 LGW/LCA
ZB786 LGW/PFO

THUR
MON1286 MAN/SSH
ZB238 LGW/ACE
ZB792 LGW/ACE
MON5764 LGW/SSH

FRI
ZB564 MAN/TFS
MON1268 MAN/DLM
ZB286 LGW/TFS
MON1934 LGW/DLM
ZB532 MAN/PMI
ZB568 MAN/TFS
ZB736 LGW/AGP
MON7062 LGW/DLM

SAT
ZB548/871 MAN/PMI/LTN
ZB870/639 LTN/PMI/MAN
ZB214 LGW/FAO
ZB742 LGW/AGP
ZB736 LGW/AGP
ZB786 LGW/PFO
MON5114 LGW/SSH
MON7208 LGW/DLM

SUN
MON5642 MAN/PVK
ZB594 MAN/FAO
MON1904 LGW/SSH
MON1786 LGW/PVK
ZB742 LGW/AGP
MON5278 LGW/SSH

It is intended that they have extra legroom seating at the front of the aircraft for Summer 2011 as well

cptcollins
3rd Apr 2011, 20:05
That's awesome, cheers partyboy. Is that inside knowledge or did you get it from a website?

CabinCrewe
3rd Apr 2011, 20:18
think it was on airliners.net not that long ago

partyboy_uk
3rd Apr 2011, 21:31
Yes, it was I who posted it on the other site as well... and yes, there was a bit of inside knowledge, but nothing much you couldn't find off the internet.

AP1995
5th Apr 2011, 20:18
does anyone know what monarchs B757's summer schedule

ExpectmorePayless
8th Apr 2011, 19:39
Imagine my dismay when boarding the aircraft to find graffiti daubed in red ink along the side of the fuselage. :eek: Now I know airport security personnel seem to take more pleasure in frisking operating crews than patrolling the airport perimeter, but this was ridiculous.:confused:

On closer inspection, I realised the scrawl 'Congratulations Wills and Kate' wasn't the artwork (I use the term loosely) of some delinquent yoof but was the latest wheeze from the dozen strong PR, Media and Advertising team to keep themselves occupied. It is typical of the woolly air headed PR frenzy and so removed from reality. If indeed someone manages to read the scrawl, does the message do anything to prompt them to book a flight with Monarch. The answer is quite frankly no.

For goodness sake, get rid of them all. I'm sure I can do without a branded deckchair and ice lolly next time I visit a town centre sandpit and I certainly do not need to see internal office walls (for those office based staff who still have walls) plastered with promotional posters which are only visible to internal staff and the occasional visitor. Our customers simply require ready information on new and current routes and destinations, a competitive price and the level of service offered and expected at Monarch. Not a rotten branded lolly. :ugh:

Meanwhile, our Human Resources Directorate (yes, they have their own director :rolleyes:) are expanding. The most recent recruit is a Group Learning and Development Manager. The poor dear knows nothing about the airline industry nor what people do at an airline. A high-powered recruit from the service sector, she spouts the standard mantra of delivering people development for the needs of our changing business. But it hasn't changed, we still fly people from A to B. The only change has been the end of years of profitability, those same years when such people did not exist. Shareholders take note :ok:

If savings are to be made then get rid of these leeches who do nothing but suck a good company dry while feathering their own nests.

Oh and while on the subject, I wish the Royal newlyweds well. ;)

TSR2
8th Apr 2011, 21:03
Oh and while on the subject, I wish the Royal newlyweds well

You could have fooled me on that one ;)

Mr A Tis
8th Apr 2011, 21:55
As a silver Vantage customer, i too am wondering on the latest Monarch strategy.
I always pay for the extra leg room ( £15 e/w short haul + £25 e/w med haul)
Having paid this on a recent flight booked months ago, was a little hacked off to see the leg room seats being flogged off at £9.99 when I checked in on line.
I have also planned ahead to take a New Year break- but the Monarch fares were incredibly uncompetitive. So on the same flights days / times I've booked with the Orange brigade, not to save a couple of quid, but to save over £100 for one person on a short flight.
None of this is really encouraging me to remain a Vantage customer.
By and large I like the Monarch product over many of the others out there, but please ZB you're biting the hand that feeds you. !

ericlday
9th Apr 2011, 07:46
Was always a loyal Monarch customer on our trips to Tenerife.....until the Harp came along. On average their prices 50% of Monarch and their on time delivery has changed my habits.

TSR2
9th Apr 2011, 11:22
I too was a loyal Monarch Vantage customer but the substantially higher fares in comparison with other airlines put paid to that.

IB4138
9th Apr 2011, 11:36
Have been my wife's and my carrier of last resort for over two years now.

Wife had to fly with them recently. Opinion not changed.

CVTDog
9th Apr 2011, 21:40
Interested what people think. Using BHX to ALC lots over the last four years we managed to get to "Gold" for the past 2 yrs. We have taken advantage of the 30kg allowance to take some stuff over to the house and extra (free) pre booked legroom

I still - on the whole think they are good value for money, shame I missed the free lounge access, but you can always get a "Priority Pass"

Perhaps if we remain Gold we wont have to stump up more cash to have the privelage of not entering the security queue ! (as per the latest wheeze from the commercial leadership at Birmingham)

gazpodel
11th Apr 2011, 10:50
Partyboy posted about the expected movements for monarch's a300-600 - quoting him here:-

SUN
MON5642 MAN/PVK
ZB594 MAN/FAO
MON1904 LGW/SSH
MON1786 LGW/PVK
ZB742 LGW/AGP
MON5278 LGW/SSH

I am due to fly on MON1786 on may 1st - this routing is a charter flight by monarch on behalf of "sailing holidays" and usually goes to Levkas/Preveza, however on this occasion it goes to corfu because it the first trip of the season (They keep all the yachts in corfu for the winter before moving them south to thier operational bases)

I was wondering if it WILL indeed be likely that an a300 will be used for this route because every other time i've flown the route on the first weekend in may if it has been monarch it is operated by a 757, usually MONK or MONJ.

Am curious! :hmm:

captaintrigger
11th Apr 2011, 19:12
MON1786 on 01/05/11 is a B757 and is going to PVK not CFU!!!

gazpodel
12th Apr 2011, 08:34
MON1786 on 01/05/11 is a B757 and is going to PVK not CFU!!!

How do you know it's off to preveza? :confused: As I explained in my post they always route the first trip of the year to corfu and then the proper route starts (which if partyboy is correct might be an AB6 this year?)

thanx guys.

partyboy_uk
13th Apr 2011, 00:53
Allow me to clarify...

I posted the details of the schedule that the A300 has during the peak week of flying. However, this is not necesarily what the aircraft will fly every week. Indeed, there may be weeks when the B757 is used (such as at the begining and end of season). I can see at the moment that on the 1st and 8th May the MON1786 is scheduled to be on the B757 and is indeed to PVK.

There is a separte flight to CFU on the 1st May which is also on the B757 and is MON3690 LGW/CFU. However, this is different flight.

gazpodel
13th Apr 2011, 09:11
Hi partyboy -
I've since received further information from sailing holidays with confirmation of my flight details, and guess what!? :8

it IS ACTUALLY the second number you quoted - MON3690!!! :O so yes you've also resovled my query as well by doing:-

1) explaining the details of the a300 usage
2) quoting both flight numbers
3) and finally, confirming the kit being used! :)

Thanks everyone for the brilliant feedback :cool::D

DER to me, who took the presumption I was due to be flying on MON1786 :\

SCANDIC
26th Apr 2011, 13:20
Anyone know what happened to MONR yeaterday at Man it had to return to stand after nearly an hour of it departing. Love the Mon A300's.

Mr @ Spotty M
26th Apr 2011, 20:49
Nose leg unlocked indication l believe due to a nose leg door problem, so did a turn back.

Sam1664
4th May 2011, 13:54
Has anyone heard anything regarding the rumored upcoming big annoucment??

:rolleyes:

on time all the time
4th May 2011, 14:28
the same announcement as last year and the year before and the year before and the year before.........

chinapattern
4th May 2011, 15:10
Well there is talk on Skyscrapercity forums that Monarch are going to launch-haul from Birmingham. I know they've operated to Orlando in the past but I'm not really sure what kind of long haul operation they could operate from BHX with their current fleet unless it's the plan for when the 787's arrive.

on time all the time
4th May 2011, 15:53
......this can't be classified as a big announcement but a development of the business......we hear rumours all the time and they remain rumours...

Airbus321-200
4th May 2011, 17:09
Well i'd bet money on it being the re-brand. Long haul from BHX would be good but until the 787's come in i dont see it happening!

aidoair
4th May 2011, 18:54
Agreed, although in terms of rebrand, from what I have heard and things I have read, it seems its more to do with a new type of marketing strategy and service offering rather than a re-brand? Is this still the case or are they going for a total new look too now?

Egon Maybach
5th May 2011, 11:55
More big cheeses coming in to expunge the company of the last remnants of anything Brown…a change of strategy ref Charter vs Scheduled?

MANTHRUST
6th May 2011, 09:34
I would`nt bet my future on long haul from Brum, or indeed long haul from any where!
As for the 78`s, don`t hold your breath.
On the plus side I see more units coming over the hill, just a bit too far away to tell what sort yet.

22/04
6th May 2011, 22:33
A350s would seem to be the obvious choice -a manufacturer you know and trust rather than one that doesn't seem to be able to deliver and you haven't bought from in a long time!

renort
7th May 2011, 21:23
This is starting to sound like the aviation version of Championship Manager!
what point are hideously expensive longhaul aircraft if we havent got a longhaul programme. Have you seen what the A330's are doing :ugh:

on time all the time
13th May 2011, 01:59
The big announcement will happen on the 25 may. This was an official communication given to the staff.

Airbus321-200
13th May 2011, 22:27
Any ideas on what the big announcement is?

easyflyer83
13th May 2011, 23:17
A supposed announcement at Easyjet around the same time. Lol. Just throwing my hat into the ring.

Airbus321-200
13th May 2011, 23:35
Maybe the font of "monarch" is changing again.....

JSCL
13th May 2011, 23:44
easyMonarchjet

Sam1664
14th May 2011, 08:56
I would of thought it's going to be something big, as the annoucment is going to be broadcast live from the engineering hangar in LTN to all bases and major office locations for staff to be able to watch live, and put their questions about the annoucment directly to senior management!! Interesting!!:hmm:

Airbourne-Adamski
14th May 2011, 12:47
A supposed announcement at Easyjet around the same time. Lol. Just throwing my hat into the ring.

easyflyer,

Just wondering where you heard there was due to be an announcement for EZY also on the 25th, is that official or Galley fm?. I have not heard anything.

It is funny though, every time there is due to be an announcement in Monarch or easyJet the good old rumour of easy and monarch coming together always comes up.

Well suppose I should make a note in the diary for the 25th.

JSCL
14th May 2011, 15:43
Yes but one day it'll end up coming true and the legacy of "we say that every time" will shock us.

WATABENCH
14th May 2011, 17:33
Any chance it could be something to do with previously mentioned possibility of new bases at BRS,NCL and EMA?

Cazza_fly
14th May 2011, 19:11
Any chance it could be something to do with previously mentioned possibility of new bases at BRS,NCL and EMA?

... and the rebrand / new marketing direction ...

easyflyer83
15th May 2011, 02:18
easyflyer,

Just wondering where you heard there was due to be an announcement for EZY also on the 25th, is that official or Galley fm?. I have not heard anything.

It is funny though, every time there is due to be an announcement in Monarch or easyJet the good old rumour of easy and monarch coming together always comes up.

Well suppose I should make a note in the diary for the 25th.

It was actually tongue in cheek Adam. But yes there is an announcement of some sort due around the same time......apparently to coincide with the special "orange" livery. If you're privy to the Easyjet intranet, take a look at Orange Juice.

Airbus321-200
19th May 2011, 09:40
I was reading on the bmibaby thread that there is a rumour about monarch taking them over. Bmibaby have just announced new routes including EMA-GIB.

Any weight in this rumour? i personally cant see them as a fit but stranger things have happened.

cortilla
19th May 2011, 10:37
As much as I enjoyed working with the people at baby (working with not for. I worked for a third party that provided a service to baby but i had a lot of interaction with people at the coal face)

Why on earth would monarch want to buy baby? It doesn't own any aircraft or any assets. All that leaves are the people. As nice as they are, why would monarch buy them?

Airbus321-200
19th May 2011, 11:16
That's what i thought and those aircraft are worth nothing even if owned.

Mr A Tis
19th May 2011, 22:21
Pure speculation, but I wonder with the contraction of Thomson & Thomas Cook longhaul post S11. Monarch may also be looking to pull out of longhaul & ditch the A330s & A300s. Perhaps there is a deal with Boeing to also ditch the elusive B787 in favour of a big order for B738s ? These to serve regional bases like Cardiff / Newcastle / Glasgow. Just my thoughts ... I guess we will have to wait and see in a weeks time. In time, new B738s could also replace some of the elderley A320s.
I'd be more than a little surprised if there were any talk of acquisition of another carrier,( WW , LS ) highly unlikely.

DomyDom
19th May 2011, 22:25
and buy the bmibaby 'management' team (in recent years)...... well less said the better.:{

AircraftOperations
19th May 2011, 23:19
I heard a mention of Monarch's plans for the next few years from what I would call a well-placed source.
If correct, it will be really interesting move from the airline and an exciting step forward for the Uk market.

Falcon666
20th May 2011, 01:19
Anybody considered it may just be a Engineering contract for say ten years with a recruitment drive.

Just my two pennys

Cazza_fly
20th May 2011, 10:45
Anybody considered it may just be a Engineering contract for say ten years with a recruitment drive.

If they're wanting all staff to be involved with the announcment then it will probably bigger than that, though could also involve it too...

I heard a mention of Monarch's plans for the next few years from what I would call a well-placed source.
If correct, it will be really interesting move from the airline and an exciting step forward for the Uk market.

The only things I can think of to be ''an exciting step forward for the UK market'' is either major expansion of the UK regions or expansion into longhaul. I know they are going to be announcing a rebrand/new marketing structure so then it could be a new style of service offered too.

hapzim
20th May 2011, 13:23
Nigeria here we come just a different colour on the tail

PhilW1981
20th May 2011, 21:09
With the forthcoming reduction/withdrawl of Thomas Cook from long haul the market is certainly there for another operator to grow in the long haul budget holiday sector, assuming of course that Monarch actually recieve their 787's before 2020.

renort
21st May 2011, 20:06
I think Hapzim might be onto something...

macdo
21st May 2011, 20:31
Virgin seem to be picking up a lot of the TCX LH stuff, probably more when the 3 (maybe 2) 330's retire at the end of the summer. All them shiny new 330's to fill, haha and we even trained their pilots!
MON seem to have lots of our very SH, Spain and that, leaving us with all the lovely night Dalamans, wouldn't mind a small punt that we shall be seeing more of the same, especially if the TCX SH fleets contracts as has been widely rumored in the last few weeks.

Unless Mr AIRCRAFTOPERATIONS would like to expand on his cryptic post above!!:eek:

EGCC7955
22nd May 2011, 10:14
Just going off the subject for a second, I was wondering if somebody could explain the theory behind putting an A332 on the 07:25 MAN-AGP & a B752 on the 09:00 MAN-LXR on a Monday morning? Surely these machines would be better suited the opposite way round

Cazza_fly
22nd May 2011, 10:26
Just going off the subject for a second, I was wondering if somebody could explain the theory behind putting an A332 on the 07:25 MAN-AGP & a B752 on the 09:00 MAN-LXR on a Monday morning? Surely these machines would be better suited the opposite way round

No not neccessarily, obviously both aircraft are more than capable of doing either routes however, the pax loads on the AGP route are booked very high and any tour operator would be struggling to fill an A330 with over 350 seats to LXR at the minute. So it's bascically load factors playing the decider here, no point sending an half empty A330 when you could fill a 757.

EGCC7955
22nd May 2011, 10:50
So the bookings on the early ZB to AGP on a Monday morning are higher than the capacity of Mon's B752's, hence the A332? That does surprise me!
If that's the reason then yeah I can see why its been done but I wouldn't have thought that they could fill a 752 on an early AGP either...
Still we're aren't paid to ask questions, just to do as we're told!

easyflyer83
22nd May 2011, 10:56
I think this is just a classic case of "surely the bigger aircraft should go on the longer route". AGP is a busy route, you only have to see how many operators operate the route ex UK.

longarm
22nd May 2011, 11:09
Even if the AGP and SSH were only carrying 200 pax it would still make sense to send the 330 to AGP. Two and a half hours each way with half load rather than over five each way with a half load.

Mr @ Spotty M
22nd May 2011, 12:04
You will more than likely find the A330 is down to operate the AGP for the summer season and the flight is sold as such.
However if the loads on a particular flight are low enough, this allowing for a different type to operate and a spare a/c is available, then an a/c swap may happen.
This will depend on a/c and crew availability, this some times happens where a A320 will operate in place of a A321. :ok:

EGCC7955
22nd May 2011, 12:30
So the ZB pax loadings on the MAN-AGP on a Monday morning are greater than the seating capacity of a Mon 752?
If that's the case then I can see why its that way but I wouldn't have loadings would be that great that a 752 couldn't cope with the volume of pax, still we're not paid to ask questions, just do as we're told

Mr @ Spotty M
22nd May 2011, 21:04
It would not matter if they were, the ZB is a scheduled flight and the B757 is operating a charter flight, sold to who ever and only one B757 is based in MAN.
Now if we had loads of B757 parked in MAN and the ZB load was low enough then maybe it could be operated by a B757.
I tell you what, l will try and find out the loads tomorrow and see it could have been done., but longarm is going to be correct even it could be done.

im going in
22nd May 2011, 21:43
Egcc,

Think yr missing the point, the LXR is the driver here as it's a charter flight. The market for Egypt has diminished and the extra seats on the 330 are not required (I think originally this flight was planned to operate on a widebody prior to the troubles). So rather than losing the LXR flight, offer a lower capacity aircraft, and instead of having a 330 sit in the deck, add a flight that you know yr get demand for. A AGP is not ideal for a 330, but it will do as a short term measure.

easyflyer83
22nd May 2011, 22:38
But we're all assuming that LXR is the "rightful" place of the widebody as opposed to AGP. AGP, imo, is more of an A330 destination than LXR from a Monarch perspective. Plus the A330 is far from rare in AGP with various carriers.

Mr @ Spotty M
23rd May 2011, 16:16
To answer the question on loads, they were as follows.
A330 MAN-AGP 269 Pax
A330 AGP-MAN 298 Pax
Followed by a LCA with outbound load of 300+.
B757 MAN-LXR 104 Pax
B757 LXR-MAN 150+ (estimated).
Don't forget the A330 is operating a LCA flight while the B757 is still going outbound to LXR.

EGCC7955
24th May 2011, 22:37
It wasn't a question of missing any point at all, it was merely an enquiry as to why a 752 was on a LXR & a 332 on an AGP & now looking at the pax loadings which Spotty has kindly provided my question has been answered, case closed.

Cazza_fly
24th May 2011, 22:57
It wasn't a question of missing any point at all, it was merely an enquiry as to why a 752 was on a LXR & a 332 on an AGP & now looking at the pax loadings which Spotty has kindly provided my question has been answered, case closed.

That's what was answered from the start yet queried...

Anyway...

The ''announcment'' is only a day away or so. Anyone have more of an insight other than the rebrand already announced earlier this year?

Mr @ Spotty M
25th May 2011, 04:45
Other than re-branding, we are going to find out the direction that the airline has planned for the future.:ok:

planenut321
25th May 2011, 08:12
What time is the announcement to be made at?

MANTFS
25th May 2011, 09:34
1100 - understand it is all vision and not much detail at this stage

GGDAY
25th May 2011, 12:21
Any news yet?

CabinCrewe
25th May 2011, 14:05
.... damp squib alert.... ;)

Topspotter
25th May 2011, 14:10
Monarch to shortly announce cancellation of 787 order and instead purchase 737NG,s

toledoashley
25th May 2011, 14:17
I dont understand why they would order 737NG's, when they have such a healthy size of Airbus SH aircraft - unless this is to replace them? If thats the case we could be seeing some 900ER's/800 mix.

Cazza_fly
25th May 2011, 14:18
Well I guess it's what we all thought and nothing major. I guess 737s to help with growth into regional UK market again, as people have already said. Perhaps the order will be big enough for A320 replacements too?

Topspotter
25th May 2011, 14:23
737NG,s will replace the airbuses.

TSR2
25th May 2011, 14:46
I suppose the cancellation charges on the 787's must be huge so it makes commercial sense to run with the B737NG if new aircraft are required.

What is the future for the A300 and A330?

Skipness One Echo
25th May 2011, 15:39
Has anything been announced? Just curious as "Topspotter" may not be the best username for inside company information!

So is this a really complete rollover of the short haul fleet and a withdrawal from long haul then?

Airbus321-200
25th May 2011, 15:53
Nothing was mentioned about cancelling the 787s. But 737NG were mentioned as someone asked a question about them.

on time all the time
25th May 2011, 17:37
No merger, no take over, B757 on its way out, leisure schedule airline only, yellow predominent colour, M and no m, spotty M coming back with avangeance...Here are some of the news.

Mr @ Spotty M
25th May 2011, 17:52
Please note, the B737NG was mentioned because the worst kept secret in the company.
This was that the airline has been looking at the costs of operating our existing fleet and the B737NG.
This includes l believe cost to fly and maintain current fleet until the B787 is available in numbers, which covers different heavy "C" checks that may be required.
I also understand that the cost of maintaining each aircraft on a year on year basis, given by the manufacturers and what has been learned from operators differs some what.
I only hope that the board is looking how the A320NEO & A321NEO compare to current A320 & A321 and the 737NG.
The reason l say this because it looks like the 737NG is going to be behind the curve with regards to the A320NEO & A321NEO.
Should know more by the end of next month.

Cazza_fly
25th May 2011, 17:55
yellow predominent colour, M and no m, spotty M coming back with avangeance...Here are some of the news.

Finally they will have one font/livery type of thr Monarch name once again across the fleet!

So other than that it's just a reiteration of what we already knew, now probably just with a better timescale of proceedings perhaps?

Finally were the 737NGs just ''mentioned'' or are they actually happening, it looks like the above postings could have got a little muddled?

EGCC7955
25th May 2011, 18:08
So is this big announcement then? The backbone of the monarch fleet is being replaced by 737NG's? Any mention of these new bases at NCL, EMA & BRS?
Where's Spotty with the inside info when you need him?

Airbus321-200
25th May 2011, 19:02
EGCC - No they are looking into the 737NG like any airline would when doing its fleet projections for the coming years. This does not mean we are losing the Airbus.

They are in talks with the regional airports.

AP1995
25th May 2011, 20:09
wouldnt monarch consider buying the 767's? they have operated them before and they would get them much quicker then the 787?

Mr @ Spotty M
25th May 2011, 20:44
No way AP1995, to big for what MON want at this time, far better waiting for an a/c which burns less fuel and goes farther than the A330.

renort
25th May 2011, 21:20
so pretty much the whole business had access to the big announcement...yet what a confused picture this reads on here...some new aircraft might be coming, some aircraft might be going, and we're going to sort out the different fonts/titles/capital M lash up (and hopefully get rid of the vapid platitudes to the royal couple at the same time)
787's? never going to happen. Sounds like the 738 is a sop to Seattle to get out of the deal.

TartinTon
25th May 2011, 21:28
There will be no new bases at NCL/EMA/BRS. This was a quote taken completely out of context by someone from the tour operator side of the business after a few too many vinos at a conference! The airline has become schedule led because the tour operator itself is weak and follows rather than leads and has no dedicated vertically integrated sales channels in the way that TOM/TUI does.

G-AWZK
26th May 2011, 00:05
Sounds like the 738 is a sop to Seattle to get out of the deal.
Other way around. Boeing trying to keep Monarch sweet and out of the clutches of the A350...

Mr @ Spotty M
26th May 2011, 04:50
For one who was present at the meeting, l would like to point out the following.
Fleet make up to be decided by end of June, B787 delivery dates unknown.
The B757 looks to be going but it was not stated it would, but taking in what else was said it looks like it is.
It was never said that the B737NG was coming, it was just confirmed that it was being looked at along with the existing fleet.
It was stated as l remember that they are reviewing operating out of regional airports, only airport mentioned was Dublin in answer to a question.
The question was would we set up a ZB programme from there, it was no, but we would operate flights if whole a/c charters are sold.
The only 100% facts we got was the livery is going to change with much bigger titles along the a/c, and the awful colours they are going to use in advertising, you all will see what l mean within the next week or so.

Airbus321-200
26th May 2011, 09:25
Want to know the facts??

Read spotty M's post. The rest are people taking comments out of context.

TSR2
26th May 2011, 10:22
Thank you for the clarification.

Jetset321
26th May 2011, 10:28
TartinTon

I fail to see your point about the tour operator being weak. Perhaps you should consider the number of seats our very own in-house tour -ops shift on ZB flights every year, let alone whole plane MON charters.

As for the possible fleet renewel, will any decision not be all dependant on having an a/c in the 200 seat catergory that could make SSH?.. something the current A320/321 currently cannot manage.

MerchantVenturer
26th May 2011, 10:29
Hugh Morgan of Monarch Travel Group was definitely reported in the press last March saying the company was considering basing aircraft at NCL, EMA and BRS in 2012.

I know that anyone can consider doing practically anything in life so I'm not in a position to know how serious a contemplation this is or was.

Powerjet1's post #1530 dated 7 March 2011 herein covered the report at the time and is reproduced below.

The Monarch Travel Group is considering adding more regional flying from 2012.
Speaking at the Global Travel Group conference in Leicester this morning, Hugh Morgan, managing director of Monarch Travel Group tour operations division, said the group was currently considering an increase in regional flying.
He said the group was looking at basing aircraft in Bristol, East Midlands and Newcastle airports.
"It is a big investment but we can't utilise a foreign carrier as people don't necessarily support it. We would have to base aircraft at the airports.
"I think we will be doing a lot more regional flying from next year."
He said a decision would be made "very soon" once the company had evaluated all the logistics involved.
The group has previously received criticism from agents for failing to do enough regional flying.
Morgan said it was a 'chicken and egg' situation. "If you're going to do it, you have to do it properly," he added.

Egon Maybach
26th May 2011, 22:23
We need a real dynamic strategic plan, instead we get some fiddling with the brand. Re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic springs to mind. When will someone do something to reverse some of the shocking mess PB got us into.

ZeBedie
26th May 2011, 22:38
Egon, I disagree. CC presented himself as a leader. He told us what the company is about and what we are required to do. Also, if my judgement of human nature is not totally flawed, he came across as a good man. What did you expect? The second coming of the messiah?

im going in
27th May 2011, 06:51
ZeBedie,

Have a look through all of the posts by Egon. Did you expect anything positive from him? Makes me wonder if they are actually a Monarch employee!!

Topspotter
27th May 2011, 11:20
Does this mean all long haul is to end?, I hope not, as i normally use MON for my flights to Goa :\

BTW ZeBedie nothing wrong with your judgement, Conrad is a very decent person who should serve MON and its people well)

Egon Maybach
27th May 2011, 17:48
...Dont recall criticising CC, anyway IGI I agree - its amazing what that 'view all previous posts' function can tell you.

SCANDIC
30th May 2011, 18:05
Does anyone know where i could find a monarch posky 757 download of G-MONJ in the normal monarch colours.

Chitty
30th May 2011, 18:16
i can find a monarch 757 G-MONC go to FlightSim.Com - Main Menu (http://www.flightsim.com/file.php), just type in G-MONC and its the 4th one down

SCANDIC
30th May 2011, 20:49
Thanks for that.

Mallorcaguy
31st May 2011, 13:27
Anyone any ideas why Monarch are being hit by delays at MAN again, yesterdays CFU and DLM flights had delays of around three hours or more, this mornings PMI flight was delayed by an hour and this afternoons PMI flight is also delayed by an hour as of time of writing, are we about to see a repeat of last year with delays getting worse for this airline, I was under the impression that the new boss was tackling the delay problems it would seem he cannot do anything about it like his predecessor , granted other airlines have had slight delays at MAN today but not as bad as Monarch are experiencing yet again. Me and my family fly to ACE with Monarch next month I can see if these delays continue it will be our last time flying with them.

PB wheres my pension
31st May 2011, 13:38
Monarch back in the black

31 May 2011

The Monarch Group made £1.4m profit in the year to 31 October, according to The Times yesterday.

This compared with losses of £30.3m in the year before, for the parent of Monarch Airlines and Cosmos Holidays.

The report attributed the return to profit to staff cuts and the sale of assets.

The workforce fell to 2,791 from 3,086 and the group also sold two hangars at Luton airport for £6.4m, said The Times.

It reported that sales dropped 4% to £757m, partly because of the closure of airspace during the volcanic ash disruption in April 2010.

The airline division cut losses to £9.3m from £19.1m in the year before, while Cosmos Holidays saw turnover and passenger numbers down 8% and 10%, said the report.

The Times said chairman Iain Rawlinson described 2010 as ‘very successful’ after its management restructure which led to operational improvements.

However this year is challenging because of high oil prices and weaker consumer spending, he said in the report.

unquote

Airline losses down to £9M = succesful year? :confused:

SCANDIC
31st May 2011, 14:01
G-MONR has had probelms all weekend its apu packed up but i think they fixed it yesterday morning.. G-MONS came in late morning to operate a flight and then shortly after MONR departed. I think Monarch's most reliable aircraft have been the 757's.

renort
31st May 2011, 14:13
is that your expert opinion based on what happens on Flight Sim?

harer92
31st May 2011, 15:24
Hi, I am wondering where I can find schedules for Monarch Airlines online or if someone has a copy if they could possibly send me it please.

Mallorcaguy
31st May 2011, 15:29
Thanks Scandic, I suppose problems like this will arise more and more often with these elderly a/c what are they 21 / 22 years old now?, a friend and his family was on the PMI flight this morning and called me a short time ago and said there would have been enough room on an A321 and that the a/c is showing its age and is ready for retirement or a make over, I think he said it was MONR, unfortunately he said he will never book Monarch again as this is the third time he has used them and the third time they have been delayed by an hour or more, he said the staff at MAN where totally useless, the a/c was waiting with crew on board but they where not allowed to board, when he asked they just shrugged their shoulders and told to wait. These two a/c problems do not explain why other flights are still being delayed either.
Seems a bit strange that the longest delays seem to be with Monarch.
Oh well lets hope our flights will be on time although with monarch's reputation I doubt it.

jubilee
31st May 2011, 15:50
Harer92.
Try the Monarch web site, click on timetables.

Mr @ Spotty M
31st May 2011, 16:44
Maybe it is not all based on the flight Sim.
The most reliable a/c for the two months of March & April was indeed the B757.
No technical delays, 100% dispatch reliability, maybe you owe SCANDIC an apology. :=

harer92
31st May 2011, 18:05
Thanks for that J but I was looking for a more detailed one i.e. stating which aircraft was assigned to that flight if you know what I mean.

for example a while ago there was a list of what routes the A300 undertook, this is the sort of stuff I am looking for.

TartinTon
31st May 2011, 20:46
Mallorcaguy...not sure what your friend had been drinking before take off but it would have been interesting trying to fit 327 pax onto a 214 seater aircraft.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hull City AFC
1st Jun 2011, 01:05
Monarch Summer 2012 is now onsale.

The new website design looks good too!.

harer92
1st Jun 2011, 11:09
The new website design looks good too!.

Its good that they have gone back to the old M crown on the Monarch name but the colours arent the best in the world. Especially the bright pink and the purple colour is sickly.

kala87
1st Jun 2011, 11:58
Well, as for the recent negative comments about MON, my family and I have used MON many times over the last 16 years and every flight has been a pleasure. The only delay was on a 321 out of LTN due to a slat retraction problem, which was fixed in an hour. Crew and ground staff have always been most professional and friendly. However, I've never flown out of MAN so can't comment on the operation there.

Given the choice, as pax I'd take a 757 over a 320/321 any day. Amazing t/o performance and more comfortable. Pity they won't be around for much longer.

TCX69
1st Jun 2011, 12:30
What is going on with the Monarch branding? First the spacing of the Monarch lettering was more closer together... Then FlyMonarch.com without the crown being used... Then monarch.co.uk (lowercase m)... Now Monarch.co.uk with the crown & the spacing reverting back to the original logo & a Capital M again... Identity crisis?

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll216/neillmccormick/MON1.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll216/neillmccormick/MON2.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll216/neillmccormick/MON3.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll216/neillmccormick/MON4.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll216/neillmccormick/MON5.jpg

Mallorcaguy
1st Jun 2011, 12:34
Tartin ton,
I was just repeating what he told me he said there was absolutely loads of empty seats on the flight and he thought an A321 could do the flight thats all.
Naturally I do not have any information as to the actual numbers on that flight and it was only my friends opinion.

tubby linton
1st Jun 2011, 13:06
TCX69 this is why:-

Monarch is switching the bulk of its business to scheduled services as part of a major rebrand.

It aims to have 80% of its revenue coming from scheduled flights by summer 2012.

Under the new strapline ‘Fly your way. Every day’, the airline is offering basic fares and then leaving customers to choose if they want to pay for extras like additional leg room and on-board refreshments.

lee757
1st Jun 2011, 14:03
(figured out how to put the picture in)

lee757
1st Jun 2011, 14:07
http://cached.imagescaler.hbpl.co.uk/resize/scaleToFit/427/285/?sURL=http://offlinehbpl.hbpl.co.uk/news/OKM/4A404E8C-F2F1-1DBE-7E152468A7ED79F7.jpg

Is this the updated/new livery?

Cazza_fly
1st Jun 2011, 14:12
Under the new strapline ‘Fly your way. Every day’, the airline is offering basic fares and then leaving customers to choose if they want to pay for extras like additional leg room and on-board refreshments.

...Just like it has done for years.

Is this the updated/new livery?

Clearly it's a very poor effort on photoshop there but most likely. I don't see the need for the logo next to the billboard titles though :=. The titles should be located more centrally without it and look smarter.

lee757
1st Jun 2011, 14:34
i know it seems a dodgy effort - it was from brand republic or somewhere.

You can tell its a bit strange as the M on the tail is in the wrong direction lol

But just wondered if that was what we should be expecting. Its not a massive change really if that's it.

I think the new website looks good (even though that's very much the same) i would have thought that if they were going through the trouble to lighten the purple that's on them they'd maybe do something a bit different.

I don't think it needs .co.uk on it though - most people aren't stupid enough to figure to put that after a brand name to find what they want!

Chidken Sangwich
1st Jun 2011, 14:34
Colour scheme - Dump the purple, it looks awful.

Bring back the black.

TCX69
1st Jun 2011, 14:41
I can understand that they want 80% of their revenue to come from ZB flights... I just don't understand why they change from .com to .co.uk & drop & then reintroduce the crown just to achieve this?

Skipness One Echo
1st Jun 2011, 15:12
They never had monarch.com they had flymonarch.com which still takes you to monarch.co.uk.

Mr @ Spotty M
1st Jun 2011, 16:15
With regards to your friends delayed PMI flight on Tuesday and the other delays you noticed on the same day.
A large majority of flights heading for Spain from our bases were delayed anything up to over an hour that day due to ATC slots, looks like French ATC again.
My guess the reason your friends were not boarded earlier was because it was thought they would be more comfortable in the terminal, than on the a/c.
You might also like to know that the a/c was not delayed over 1 hour, it was airborne just over an hour after its departure time, pushed back around 40-45 minutes behind schedule.
It is the push back (off chocks) that is the time used for all departure figures.

easyJet A321
1st Jun 2011, 17:32
Just looking through the S12 schedules for MAN and it appears that DLM is now offered on a scheduled basis operating twice on a Friday and Monday then once a day for all the other days except Wednesday & Thursday where there are no flights (August schedules). Interesting times ahead for the airline...

Also, MAN - SSH is now part of the scheduled arm operating twice a week, Thursday and Sunday.

sam1993
1st Jun 2011, 18:02
Flights from Gatwick to Antalya, Dalaman and Sharm El Sheikh as well as flights from Manchester to Sharm El Sheikh will also be sold on a scheduled basis.

TCX69
1st Jun 2011, 19:23
They never had monarch.com they had flymonarch.com which still takes you to monarch.co.uk.

As mentioned above I did say FlyMonarch.com... Nevertheless is still a change from .com to .co.uk when it comes to the brand...

Mr @ Spotty M
1st Jun 2011, 20:25
.com is the internet domain normally associated with the USA and .co.uk with the UK, which is the most likely the reason.

take-off
1st Jun 2011, 20:32
Well not a fan of the new colours of the website , bit to garish for my likeing, but it is less cluttered than before so thats better, although i'm surprised nobody has mentioned one important item to note... Debit card charges dropped!!!:ok:

sam1993
1st Jun 2011, 21:10
Well not a fan of the new colours of the website

Completely agree! In my opinion, the new website is awful!

The new logo is also awful in my opinion. The lighter shade of purple, along with the crown and capital M makes the logo look more dated and just 'another' low cost airline. At least the dark shade of purple and lower case m on the old logo showed Monarch to be a smart and modern airline. The logo seems to have taken a step backwards.

Not a good move in terms of branding in my opinion!

Cazza_fly
1st Jun 2011, 21:52
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll216/neillmccormick/MON2.jpg

They should have gone back to the above style logo, perhaps just adding .co.uk to it in a billboard style font on each side of the aircraft. Not only would it have kept it inline with the current livery (which would save millions on what could be a potential redesign of the livery if the new lighter purple has anything to do with it), but it would also emphasise once again the Crown logo when used in marketing etc, which looks like one of the new plans. I just don't think that the above is broke, so they shouldn't go trying to fix it in my opinion.

I am glad though that the new management are clearly making plans for the company and helping it move forward and carry on being successful!

jubilee
1st Jun 2011, 22:21
So a few more charters are becoming schedule flights, and the rest of the operation is continuing in the same format that has been in the norm for the last few years.
Extra leg room seats are cheaper to buy than this time last year,but a lot of the fares
don't seem to qualify for low cost,as per Easy and Ryan, and as a gold vantage card holder with Monarch,I think that I will have to look more closely at the fares offered
by the other carriers.

TCX69
2nd Jun 2011, 10:55
.com is the internet domain normally associated with the USA and .co.uk with the UK, which is the most likely the reason.

ba.com
bmibaby.com
easyJet.com
flybe.com
flybmi.com
jet2.com
thomascook.com
virginatlantic.com

All these UK airlines seem quite happy to use '.com'

squeaker
2nd Jun 2011, 12:57
I think when we first started on t'internet someone in the states already had monarch.com, believe they made garage doors!

Cazza_fly
2nd Jun 2011, 13:36
ba.com
bmibaby.com
easyJet.com
flybe.com
flybmi.com
jet2.com
thomascook.com
virginatlantic.com

As you stated .co.uk is for UK based companies/domains, .com however is a worldwide international domain.

Skipness One Echo
2nd Jun 2011, 14:51

Mainly because it was available or they paid millions to buy it. I seem to recall "www.britishairways.com" long before they finally got "ba.com" !

* 'scuse the quotes, I am trying to avoid the URL being placed in the post to stay within the rules.

It's loganair.co.uk as someone else got loganair.com, same reason as to why it's not monarch.com which is the most obvious url to go after. To be honest, bmi isn't a great one either as Joe Public would go to ba.com before trying bmi.co.uk then flybmi.com even if they get that far. Of course if you're web savvy you would google it first, but airlinename.com is the absoute ideal !

IB4138
2nd Jun 2011, 15:01
The .com Monarch name is used and owned by these people :Avery Dennison Corporation.

MKY661
2nd Jun 2011, 17:57
New routes I currently know:

MAN - SSH
LGW - SSH
LGW - AYT
MAN - DLM
LGW - DLM

Also Manchester to Gibraltar is becoming seasonal :(

crackling jet
2nd Jun 2011, 18:23
Any more news of the possible new regional operations for Monarch out of Bristol/Newcastle next summer ?

MKY661
3rd Jun 2011, 11:06
Doesn't look like it for the time being but it is possible. Looks like flights will still be operated from MAN, BHX, LTN and LGW. What's going to happen to DUB though as that is a charter base?

I have a feeling that G-DAJB is leaving next year. It is 24.3 years old now. I hope MON keep their A321's and 757 instead of buying 737's. Maybe they sould get some 757's off Delta as some are really young.

on time all the time
3rd Jun 2011, 12:48
Hi
The pb is that the B757 has become uneconomical burning more fuel than the A321 with only marginaly few more pax.
When it comes to other operators B757, 2 facts needs to be looked into. The number of doors for high capacity config and the reinforced floor to accommodate 235 pax versus 190 for scheduled legacy airlines. So they maybe lots of A/C arrond but not suitable....And why does Delta have B757 available afterall.....

pabely
3rd Jun 2011, 12:55
I believe Monarch use RR powered 757's whereas Delta use PW so there would be too much cost in these.

Jag123
3rd Jun 2011, 13:06
If you look at their route map, under the destinations tab, it shows Edinburgh with scheduled flights to Palma & Dalaman, with charter flights to Paphos & Corfu from Edinburgh. However they're not loaded in the booking engine and all you can book from Edinburgh is the BA charter to Cagliari.

Could Edinburgh be their next base or is it a mistake?

MKY661
3rd Jun 2011, 13:20
Could Edinburgh be their next base or is it a mistake? Edinburgh was a base last year, it was closed and Thomson took over the majority of routes

The flight map still needs to be updated

sam1993
3rd Jun 2011, 14:04
The flight map still needs to be updated

The destination map is new!! It was re-designed to coincide with the launch of the new look website. As for a new Edinburgh base, I wouldn't trust the new map - the destinations seem to be all over the place with a few even missing!

MKY661
3rd Jun 2011, 14:23
The destination map is new!! It was re-designed to coincide with the launch of the new look website.

It is a new look but there was already a destination map before. Anyway i have just checked and there are lots of mistakes on it.

It says that from BJV they only go to LTN. They now do MAN, BHX and LGW from there scheduled from there now as well.
It says from PFO, they only do charter flights. They are scheduled flights now
The new routes to SSH, AYT and DLM are not on there yet. (Thet are to MAN and LGW but MAN - AYT is already operating and this is on the map)

I will keep looking for you and tell you when it is updated. :)