PDA

View Full Version : Monarch -2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

TSR2
19th Mar 2010, 18:33
I've got a fantastic deal to Cancun with Thomas Cook

It may be a fantastic deal because of the charter configuration of the aircraft.

Suggest you upgrade to 'extra legroom seats' or to the 'Premium Cabin' if available, and take your own DVD Player with your choice of movies.

By the way, I think the Monarch B767 has been withdrawn from use.

Airbus321-200
19th Mar 2010, 19:19
767 G-DIMB is gone from the fleet.

A330's are doing the longhaul now.

SCANDIC
19th Mar 2010, 20:34
The 767 has gone to Abu Dhabi for TCX winglets and maintenance. Monarch have had a lot of tech problems with it while it has been in france, i think they might be glad to be rid of it.:ok:

flybar
21st Mar 2010, 19:26
Monarch have had a lot of tech problems with it while it has been in france

Sorry, but as we have been told many times, Monarch don't have technical problems!! They only happen elsewhere!!

simonchowder
22nd Mar 2010, 09:56
Difference is flybar when monarch do have technical problems there normally sorted in double quick time due to the excellent engineering support monarch have .

captaintrigger
30th Mar 2010, 17:36
Strong Rumour of 2 additional 757's for the summer. Have heard that there is lots of adhoc and extra charter work available and they are just trying to way up the Pros and Cons......we'll see!!!

MILEHIGHBOY
30th Mar 2010, 18:45
for which bases?

londonmet
30th Mar 2010, 18:55
I heard something about an extra 767 but not more 757's?!

L Met

Airbus321-200
30th Mar 2010, 22:35
Monarch dont have 767's anymore so i doubt they'll get more. G-DIMB was returned to TCX.

The 757 rumour could have so credit to it as that aircraft has the range MON need for mid-haul routes and has less seats (obviously) than the 330's and 300's. I love the 757 so hopefully its true.

Egon Maybach
31st Mar 2010, 09:19
Strong Rumour of 2 additional 757's for the summer. Have heard that there is lots of adhoc and extra charter work available and they are just trying to way up the Pros and Cons......we'll see!!!

I heard the opposite, given the drastic reduction in the amount of adhocs operated in recent months.

* and dont mention MoD which is all done at virtual cost

SCANDIC
1st Apr 2010, 17:33
Does the shutting down of skyservice affect Monarch in any way does anyone know.:hmm:

hapzim
1st Apr 2010, 17:51
only means they might be able to source some additional 757 aircraft if the lease price is right :ok: or a 330 for the bus guys :cool:

SCANDIC
2nd Apr 2010, 13:14
Is there any truth in monarch getting more 757's or 767's.:)

Direct VTB
2nd Apr 2010, 19:16
50% sure according to KG for 2 more ex china 75's... if not those, prob 2 more 321's... but who knows till they're in the spotty M livery on the apron somewhere :}:ok:

kevlarcarl
3rd Apr 2010, 13:16
Theve just dumped their old 757,s surely there not now going to get some old sheds from china ,cant jet 2 have them instead more there line i would have thought, a321/330,s yes, but please not some ancient old 757,s

Airbus321-200
3rd Apr 2010, 19:35
The 757's left the fleet due to age and cycles not because they wanted to get rid of them.

The 757's are great for the eygpt flights and for ad-hoc work.

longarm
3rd Apr 2010, 21:10
Good for Egypt flights as well...

I'll get my coat..

SCANDIC
3rd Apr 2010, 22:11
Monarch don't get just any old sheds it will be well thought about because their a very well organised airline. I hope they do get more 757's, maybe the astraeus 757 will return for summer time.

simonchowder
6th Apr 2010, 09:10
Actually scandic they have a bit of a track record for buying junk, those rotten a321,s BM palmed them
off with being a good example, they have cost MON a fortune to rectify

Tight Seat
6th Apr 2010, 10:05
Maybe that was the era of no investment. The winds of change are starting here at MON, the 'family' are horrified at the lack of investment in the company over the last years ( thanks PB). With their new 'hands-on' approach we may find the company going forward. By that I mean more new(er) aircraft, better infrastructure and maybe a functioning IT department.

The word in the crew room is that Mon has a real future. I hope so, my mortgage depends on it!

easyJet A321
6th Apr 2010, 20:13
It seems two of Monarch's A300's are for-sale, are they for-sale now just to be sold when the B787 arrives or are they planning of getting rid now? Also there is 2 X 2004 A321's, are these aircraft actually forsale or are they up for sub-lease etc??

Airbus321-200
6th Apr 2010, 22:05
Where are you getting that info from Easy321?

easyJet A321
6th Apr 2010, 22:24
A300-600 For Sale or Lease on SpeedNews (http://www.speednews.com/EquipmentResults.aspx?Search=Aircraft&Aircraft=A300&Type=-600) does that work? After looking more into the site there seems to be two each of the aircraft types ZB have except the A330 listed on there and I'm just guessing they are listed on there for the odd lease here and there, not a sale.

TSR2
6th Apr 2010, 22:37
The list is dated 13th January 2009.

TartinTon
6th Apr 2010, 22:55
If you actually read the ad easyJet A321 it's a generic ad for the whole fleet i.e. Monarch operates a mix of charter and scheduled ops and if you have a need for an aircraft on ACMI or dry lease they will be happy to talk to you.
It doesn't say they're for sale at all...:ugh::ugh::ugh:

easyJet A321
6th Apr 2010, 23:04
Well if you actually read my previous post you should take that back. Don't try and get cocky thank you very much

TartinTon
6th Apr 2010, 23:30
Wasn't getting "cocky" easyJet321 just hadn't seen your reply as I hadn't refreshed the page to see your update while I checked out what you were wittering on about (amongst other things). You could have always deleted the original posting due to it being a heap of the smelly stuff?

Thank YOU very much.....

easyJet A321
6th Apr 2010, 23:34
Okay sorry, both mis-understanding each other :)

kevlarcarl
7th Apr 2010, 12:14
Your dead right about the IT dept tight seat , i dont know how bad it is in the airline but in engineering its a disgrace, the system is in no way fit for purpose, its a constant nightmare ,heads should have rolled years ago

Chidken Sangwich
7th Apr 2010, 15:20
Couple of great replies above that made me laugh...

"the 'family' are horrified at the lack of investment in the company over the last years (thanks PB)".

That borders on hilarious bearing in mind it's the 'family' that control the purse strings!

"Your dead right about the IT dept tight seat , i dont know how bad it is in the airline but in engineering its a disgrace".

Again, very amusing... wasn't the IT Director promoted to Engineering Director?

smudgethecat
7th Apr 2010, 21:30
Yes he was, scary innit:eek:

kevlarcarl
7th Apr 2010, 22:42
The guy in charge wants to get off his arse at 3 oclock on a sunday morning and get down to one of the monarch line stations and witness the chaos the crap IT causes the engineers trying to sort out tech aircraft due to the pitifully under funded IT system, im not blaming the IT staff its the amount of funds that are made available thats the issue ,it needs sorting now

take-off
10th Apr 2010, 22:57
Anybody know what the delays are from MAN today, seems MON have few probs, should have been at airport now waiting for friends on arrecife , but it not arriving till around 3ish :mad

kevlarcarl
10th Apr 2010, 23:05
I dont blame you for being mad mate, what right had that monarch aircraft to go tech, no consideration for the flying public, .. bloody outrageous

take-off
10th Apr 2010, 23:17
I'm not mad at monarch in particular, just that i'll be up most the night now, do appreciate things can go wrong, was wondereing what the problems were, as they seem to have a few delays today looking at the arrrivals online, and yes i know its not just monarch that have problems either before anyone happens to bite my head off, was just enquiring thats all . thank you:ok:

smudgethecat
11th Apr 2010, 12:01
Anyone heard about this extra work mon have picked up as a result of the demise of skyservice which according to rumour means at least two 757,s are being added to the fleet

EGCC7955
12th Apr 2010, 10:12
Well i for one don't know what's happening with the fleet issues at the moment but the 6524 yesterday MAN - MSA which is booked a 332 ended up being an AB6...
I shouldn't imagine the Prem pax wouldn't have been too impressed with the standard AB6 seat pitch for near on 9 hrs Non-Stop...

im going in
12th Apr 2010, 10:23
EGCC7955

Its a good job it went on G-MONS, which is the A300 with a premium cabin then!!!

EGCC7955
12th Apr 2010, 12:50
Just as well 'NS' operated it then, 3 cheers for the fact it didn't leave 'em in the s**t, by going tech....
still doesn't explain the absence of one of the 332's,
Reckon the 767 returned to TCX just at the wrong time, having one less long haul aircraft available for the summer season surely can't be a good thing...

SCANDIC
12th Apr 2010, 12:51
Anyonme know where the 757's will come from and how many are they going to get, i hope they get some more of them.:ok::ok:

ATIS
12th Apr 2010, 13:17
With the departure of the 767, one of the 330s is permanently based in ORY until the end of the Air Med season. During the week its only sat on the ground in ORY for 1 day. And for this week, on its free day, its being utilised for the Virgin flights. ORY-MCO-UK. Certainly keeping them busy :D

simonchowder
12th Apr 2010, 14:56
Ive heard jet 2 are looking to get shot of two of their old sheds, hope these arnt the aircraft in question:eek:

SCANDIC
12th Apr 2010, 15:18
I'm sure Monarch will do their homework on whatever they will purchase, they could of kept G-MONB AND G-MONE fot a bit longer as their only sat in the desert doing nothing:ok:

Mr @ Spotty M
12th Apr 2010, 16:31
I guess EGCC7955 you were referring to the MBA flight yesterday.
I am sure the pax were very impressed with the flight as it arrived in MBA couple of hours ahead of schedule as it went direct.
Also on the plus side, the less than 50 pax had plenty of room as well.:ok:

bluepilot
13th Apr 2010, 09:22
will you ever learn chowder????

SCANDIC
15th Apr 2010, 18:43
Any news on the extra 757's and where they would come from.:ok:

kevlarcarl
15th Apr 2010, 18:45
i heard china mentioned

purplehelmet
15th Apr 2010, 21:14
"i heard china mentioned"
care to elaborate on this?

kevlarcarl
15th Apr 2010, 21:17
Certainly helmet, i heard there getting two 757,s from a chinese airline, which one i know not

SCANDIC
15th Apr 2010, 21:29
How many chinese airlines operate the 757.

purplehelmet
15th Apr 2010, 22:05
i think there is only about three chinese airlines with 757s.

p.h.

Severn
15th Apr 2010, 22:17
Air China - 13 x B757-200
China Southern Airlines - 17 x B757-200
SF Airlines - 1 x B757-200
Shanghai Airlines - 10 x B757-200 (all for China Eastern Airlines)
Xiamen Airlines - 8 x B757-200

Courtesy of CH-Aviation

purplehelmet
15th Apr 2010, 22:30
or it could be five. cheers james:ok:

smudgethecat
15th Apr 2010, 22:32
Air China 757,s i believe

SCANDIC
15th Apr 2010, 22:33
Do you think they would lease them or buy them? I really hope they get some, it was sad to see MONB, MONE, MONC, MOND go after so long in the fleet.:ok:

purplehelmet
15th Apr 2010, 23:01
any idea if they are getting them whens it likely to be, and how long before they are in service? just thinking if they are needed for the extra summer work it needs to be pretty soon.

SCANDIC
16th Apr 2010, 10:22
They might be a while if they need maintenance and maybe painting.:ok:

SCANDIC
17th Apr 2010, 20:46
All Monarchs at Manchester have all of their engines covered over.

hapzim
17th Apr 2010, 20:56
Wise move for any aircraft on the ramps to have all blanks fitted where possible at the moment.

Mr A Tis
19th Apr 2010, 13:44
I'd like to cancel my MON flt for Wednesday, but MON are only cancelling 24hrs in advance ( whereas Jet2 & RYR have cancelled 3 days in advance).Short notice cancellation isnt much use to me as I have to also alter other arrangements.
Anyone know if MON are allowing refunds for Wednesday yet? Their web-site is a bit "thin" on info compared to many others.

jubilee
19th Apr 2010, 20:48
Mr A Tis,
I suppose you have a chance to fly now in view of the latest news.
We are due to fly with Mon. next Monday (26) have to decide weather to cancel the
car hire this Saturday so I don't lose any money,accommodation is no problem.
Regards,
Jubilee

Mr A Tis
20th Apr 2010, 08:03
As most people are relying on airlines web sites for updates, the Monarch web site is rubbish compared to most.
Seems to be only updated once a day.
Still showing yesterdays cancellations.
Many airlines are allowing advance cancellations as they want to concentrate on repatriation flights, not new flights taking people out.
They need to look at Ryanair & Jet2 to see how its done !!

Mr A Tis
20th Apr 2010, 08:52
Manchester airport web site says airport will not open until 7pm at the earliest (if at all), but Monarch still showing departures for this afternoon.
Do they expect people to set off on long treks to the airport only to find the flights not going?
Come on Monarch shape yourselves.
Look at Jet 2 being pro active & cancelling in advance, putting road/sea journeys for sale etc etc
Information & some advance planning is what is needed.
As a Vantage member I'm distictly unimpressed with the Monarch web site updates.

Mr A Tis
20th Apr 2010, 11:44
Thanks Saskatoon for explaining Monarch's policy, which IS different from other carriers.

As for Tight seat, I assume you are a Monarch employee relying on future custom to keep the company healthy.

I would only say that your web site is your most useful tool for communicating information to customers & reducing telephone calls. It ain't dynamic enough. Simple.

On that note I'll STFU.

Thank you from one of yr Vantage customers.

renort
20th Apr 2010, 11:51
Mr A Tis,

STFU

Kind regards from everyone working at full capacity here at Monarch.

lots of poeple all over the place are working at full capacity, doesnt mean you can forget who pays your wages. I think Mr A Tis point has been fair, and if that is a typical Monarch response to their pax then good luck on the dole.

If the talk of Chinese 757's is true, how come the lead article in the 'useful links' page of website, (which incidentally is not about how you can get you and your family home from x in this time of crisis,) but how Monarch have got aircraft available for lease?

smudgethecat
20th Apr 2010, 11:51
I watched TJ on newsnight yeterday evening must say he seemed quite sanguine about the whole affair, in contrast to willie walsh who speaking the other day was hopping mad

ericlday
20th Apr 2010, 14:59
Mon9687 on Rescue Mission TFS- Madrid.

SCANDIC
21st Apr 2010, 15:51
Any news on the extra aircraft Monarch are meant to be getting, i heard that G-BOPB 767-200 could well be an extra one.:ok::ok:

Mr @ Spotty M
21st Apr 2010, 18:48
SCANDIC, you do seem to get told a load of B**l S***, l can tell you Monarch are not looking to get any mark of B767.
They are looking at a few a/c at the moment, with the view to operating an extra a/c late June onwards.
An ex SkyService B757 is currently being looked at in detail at the moment, but l would not put any of my own money on it flying for Monarch.
It takes a lot of investigation in looking at records to see what has been carried out and what will be needed to be carried out in way of Maintenance checks and components to be changed.
You will know that they looked at an ex Chinese B757 and at the moment that has slipped back down the pecking order.
You will and people like me who work at Monarch have to just wait and see what turns up if any extra aircraft does in the end.

SCANDIC
21st Apr 2010, 20:01
Thanks for that info, i hope that something turns up.

HXdave
21st Apr 2010, 20:04
Ok guy, i used to have a respect for monarch. as a travel agent, always though that they were a very reliable, well trusted company.

unfortunately today, that has all gone out of the window.

had some friends booked on AGP - MAN flight that was cancelled due to the closure of the airspace. OK, fair enough, not Monarch's fault. However once airspace opens, monarch puts out a flight schedule and at 8am this morning managed to book my friends on the ZB9661 flight back this evening. even checked on the manchester airport website which clearly showed 2 monarch flights departed (ZB660 & ZB9660), within about half hour of each other. preparing to go and collect my friends from manchester, when i recieved a call from my friend saying they were at malaga, and the check in staff knew nothing of this flight (ZB9661), and only had details for the ZB661. more checks and more checks (unfortunately i was away from my PC, so could do nothing straight away). Trying to call monarch is a nightmare, where it will not allow you through (even after answering your call with a recorded message at 10p per minute). eventually got in the queue where after 30 mins on hold my mobile died. Got home and straight onto the landline at just after 8pm, to be advised that they are now closed!

my friends are now at the mercy of the handling agents in malaga, who might - only might - be able to get them on a flight to LGW, but even that is not certain. and once at gatwick, it's gonna take longer to get from gatwick to halifax than the flight itself.

anyone from Monarch care to comment on why my friends were rebooked onto an imaginary flight?

IB4138
21st Apr 2010, 21:08
It was obvious from Monarch's website this morning that today's flight numbers were the normal daily flights, but with a "9" added at the front.

Certainly Aena's website advised only the "9" prefixed flights were operating into Spain and the normal daily flights did not exist today.

It certainly was a deliberate act on Monarch's part.

TSR2
21st Apr 2010, 21:14
MAN Airport website shows ZB9661 as cancelled but ZB 661 as arriving at 23.01.

However MON9661 flight is currently over the English Channel heading to Manchester.

Obviously as IB4138 says, only one flight is operational.

LPFR
21st Apr 2010, 21:18
Passengers were not happy with Monarch's customer service. Many booked Jet2's special flights to LBA or MAN, others qeued for a long time at the ticket desk to get some info as the website isn't helpful either. From what i've seen also special MON flights were created, but soon the MAN was showing as cancelled.

cherrylock
21st Apr 2010, 21:35
Some freinds of ours have just got back this evening they said monarch were fantastic did everything they could well done spotty m!!:ok:

flybar
21st Apr 2010, 21:50
Well cherrylock got in before chowder!!
Knew one of them would be immediately to support Monarch

Mr A Tis
21st Apr 2010, 22:32
Oh my word, don't criticise spotty M, otherwise their customer services will tell you to STFU.
As a Vantage customer, I can only vote with my feet / wallet next time.

PS Quote from the Jet2 thread :
Was at the airport today and heard nothing but praise to Jet2. Many passengers from Ryanair, easyJet, Monarch and Aer Lingus booked the special flights Jet2 operated today. Ryanair didn't really gave a choice and Monarch gave no informations whatsoever (Pax said). At least Jet2 did something and all flights left full back to the UK. Well done

Just an example, that's all.
All I ask is that when the dust settles ( no pun) that Spotty M review how they failed to make the best use of their web site communication facility.

cherrylock
21st Apr 2010, 22:39
ive no axe to grind our freinds said monarch were fantastic, good on them and tbh they havent lasted nearly fifty years in the industry without doing something right, arnt they britains oldest charter airline?

757flyer
22nd Apr 2010, 05:01
;) cherrylock = simonchowder :p

HXdave
22nd Apr 2010, 06:39
well perhaps someone can explain to me, my friends out in AGP, and the other 150 or so passengers who were all booked onto the ZB9661 AGP - MAN flight where their aircraft went! some people even had reserved seating on this!

my friends are now at Luton, and i pity the monarch rep on the desk this morning, as she's worse than a fire eating dragon!

IB4138
22nd Apr 2010, 07:07
Mr A Tis

As a Vantage customer, I can only vote with my feet / wallet next time.

I did just that a couple of years back. They are used by my family as a carrier of last resort now.

All I ask is that when the dust settles ( no pun) that Spotty M review how they failed to make the best use of their web site communication facility.

You have three hopes of this happening.....Bob, Viv and No!

HXDave

Per TAS Aviation Society's web site:

It appears all the Monarch flights used the "9" prefix numbers for call signs yesterday for arrivals and departures.
Here's the one you may be interested in from the log:

16:01 MON9660 G-OZBT Airbus A321-231

MANTFS
22nd Apr 2010, 07:49
The 9 pre-fix were for repatriation flights where seats were prioritised for those stranded the longest.
Normal Zb schedules starting to resume today

Johnny F@rt Pants
22nd Apr 2010, 08:01
I operated a Jet2 flight from AGP to MAN yesterday, many of the passengers that we carried were originally booked on other airlines including Monarch. The engineer that had to sign off the tech log after the volcanic ash check (Monarch engineer) told us that Monarch had several of their A300's in AGP to help repatriate passengers, but such was the lack of communication they were leaving with very few passengers onboard (the most was in the 60's:{:=:{, and the flight to LGW apparently left with 18 on-board:eek:). One of our passengers had even gone to the Monarch desk to try to get on a flight to MAN but was told it was full.....evidently not:ugh:.

Monarch are usually an excellent airline, but they appear to have made a beggar of this situation.

ATIS
22nd Apr 2010, 09:17
Unfortunately, many of these problems are caused by the handling agent downroute who frequently misunderstand communictaions that are sent from head office. Do you honestly believe Monarch wish to fly an A300 back to blighty with 18 pax.

Its the handling agent that is checking in the pax. A quick check on the computer and they can see that the flight is currently checked in with 18 pax, not FULL.

I sure Monarch will give them a right rollocking once this has blown over.

purplehelmet
22nd Apr 2010, 10:54
757 flyer.
cherrylock=simon chowder.
close but no cigar, now if you had said kevlarcarl=simon chowder,well thats where my money would be.
both list interests as gliding,bikes/or classic motorcycles.
both have the same dislike for spotters, and they both use terms such as knapsack,wind yer neck in,im not an engineer,
both refer to 757s as old sheds.
both spell aren't as arnt,both spell dreadful as dreadfull.
compare their posts both come across very similary.

Ian Brooks
22nd Apr 2010, 11:03
Purplehelmet you need to change yours to Sherlock Holmeshttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Ian B

IB4138
22nd Apr 2010, 12:15
ATIS
Unfortunately, many of these problems are caused by the handling agent downroute who frequently misunderstand communictaions that are sent from head office. Do you honestly believe Monarch wish to fly an A300 back to blighty with 18 pax.

Its the handling agent that is checking in the pax. A quick check on the computer and they can see that the flight is currently checked in with 18 pax, not FULL.

I sure Monarch will give them a right rollocking once this has blown over.

Not the handling agent down route excuse again. After three years of using this excuse and attempting to deflect the blaim to the agents at AGP for a variety of problems, it has warn more than thin.

It the agents are so poor and have aledgedly been "rollocked" before, then why are Monarch still using them?

Also, if instructions eminating from Monarch cannot be clearly understood by agents down route and the base airport at MAN for that matter as ZB9661 did operate, it was ZB661 that was cancelled, then perhaps they should look at how they are making these communications.

All Monarch have done is play "nine games" with people yesterday. Not everyone but the airline can be wrong.

A fish rots from the head. You cannot defend the indefensible.

mathers_wales_uk
22nd Apr 2010, 18:03
I can imagine that the flight must have been still showing in the reservation system otherwise passengers could not have been booked on it.

On the issue of passengers are being told that the flights were full. Could this have being the case of a PNL (Passengers Names) being loaded into the flight hence showing the flights were booked full however some passengers may have allready made the long journey home or choosen another flight.

On many cases the website was the only way for passengers to gain information as i can imagine there was an extremely long waiting time to get through to the call centre for all airlines.

Whiskey Zulu
22nd Apr 2010, 23:45
On Wed 21st, when UK airspace finally re-opened, Monarch seemed to have prioritised by repatriating those passengers that had been effected the longest and had the least chance of sourcing alternative routes home. There were three MON flights from SSH, Egypt that day. All were sent out empty in order to rescue customers that had been stuck there for 6 days, including me! Most people spoke very highly of MON, especially if they had been booked on a Cosmos package rather than flight/accommodation separately. A lot of people were left totally stranded, stressed and much out of pocket by some accommodation only companies. No rep, no help, nothing. The Cosmos rep did a good job in the circumstances in my opinion.
All the pax repatriated on the 3 MON flights that day were also greatly relieved to have been returned to the UK so quickly. ALL flights were full, demonstrating good communications to enable all available seats to be filled.

ATIS
23rd Apr 2010, 18:29
IB4138

Who exactly will have the up to date info 30 mins before departure, Monarch in Luton, or the handling agent at the airport.

Believe me head office has messed up many times before, I'm not debating that. In this instance if pax turn up at an airport wishing to buy a ticket on non-full flights, then I thought the handling agent will oblige.

On my last flight we had a few spare seats back to UK. I asked the despatcher whether there were any pax at the ticket desk trying to get on. "I don't know" was the response, and he left the aircraft. So I tried

IB4138
23rd Apr 2010, 19:28
ATIS

Just who thought up the "9" idea at Monarch and then failed to communicate it correctly?

Hence two flights in the system. eg: ZB9661 and ZB661, but only one aircraft.

Stop blaiming the agents. They still were under the impression that , in the case mentioned above, ZB661 was operating and loaded that flight's pax onto what was in Monarch's eyes ZB 9661, thus leaving the pax, who should have been on ZB9661 behind. Clearly MAN were equally as confused by putting on their website that ZB 9661 was cancelled. However that is the flight that actually flew. Somehow Aena got the information on which flight was actually flying correct on their website.

Why should the people holding reservations for ZB 9661 be queuing at the ticket desk to buy a ticket?....they already held them, or so they thought!

HXdave
23rd Apr 2010, 20:17
ATIS / IB4138,

speaking to my friend today, there was about 150 who went to check in for the ZB9661 flight, all who were told that the flight did not exist. in my view, the ZB9661 was loaded into the system to allow monarch passengers who had cancelled flights to re book on the monarch flights that had space, but had been taken off sale to the general public....... (ie ZB661 24/04 had say 60 confirmed advance passenger, thus having approx 150 spare seats. allow these seats to be booked by passengers wishing to change their flights only, as opposed to new passengers.) however i believe somewhere down the line, someone was not told what was happening, and the flight was filled with standby passengers, rather than confirmed ticketed passenger.

anyone from monarch care to comment?

IB4138
25th Apr 2010, 16:33
Think they have more problems at the moment.

Seems the ZB661 is jinksed:

Manchester Arrivals
Saturday, 24 April 2010
T1 ZB661 22:20 Malaga Estimated Mon 26 Apr 22:55

SCANDIC
25th Apr 2010, 19:25
Is there anymore news on any extra aircraft coming to the Monarch fleet.:)

Mr @ Spotty M
25th Apr 2010, 20:44
See my previous post #1075.

bjones4
26th Apr 2010, 23:15
MRO Americas: Monarch to maintain TUI 787s as Boeing drops SR Technics from GoldCare team (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/04/26/340985/mro-americas-monarch-to-maintain-tui-787s-as-boeing-drops-sr-technics-from-goldcare.html)

London Luton airport-based Monarch Aircraft Engineering looks to have stolen SR Technics' thunder with its selection by Boeing as the airframe maintenance supplier for 787 GoldCare programme launch customer TUI Travel.
Sources close to the programme said at last week's MRO Americas exhibition in Phoenix that Monarch won the deal, announced on 13 April, at TUI's request. Boeing had selected SR as non-exclusive European GoldCare airframe maintenance provider as long ago as July 2006 but, sources say, the two have been embroiled in a dispute over contractual terms.

Swannecker
27th Apr 2010, 04:59
Good news for MAEL in these difficult times, well done chaps :ok:

yeo valley
27th Apr 2010, 07:00
always good to hear good news for a change.

pabely
27th Apr 2010, 09:11
Very good news for MAEL. I wonder whether the 787 will appear at Farnborough this year and pop into Luton on it's way, just as the 757 & 767 did all those years ago?

simonchowder
27th Apr 2010, 09:32
fantastic news not suprised boeing have gone with monarch they did a great job with the 757 right from day one if it were a choice of either SR or monarch looking after my 787 i know who id pick:ok:

Mr A Tis
27th Apr 2010, 13:44
I have a friend trying to re-arrange a flight.
It can't be done on line, e-mails are not being replied to.
After 6 days of trying, they still cannot get through to the Monarch call centre.
I know they are busy after the disruption, but it shouldn't be this difficult.
My own disrupted flights were with Easy Jet & it was sorted out in minutes with no fuss or bother.
If anyone has a number that is easier to get through on( and answered ! ), then I'd appreciate a PM.
Thanks.

smudgethecat
27th Apr 2010, 14:31
Find that very hard to believe TBH , i spoke to them this morning got straight through no problem :confused:

Mr A Tis
27th Apr 2010, 14:41
TBH I find THAT hard to believe !! Days 1-5 they could not even get in the call queue. What number did you use? Which is why I'm asking for help.

cherrylock
27th Apr 2010, 15:22
That seems odd i e mailed them twice yesterday and spoke to them on the phone no problems at all, normal polite prompt service you expect from monarch:ok:

HXdave
27th Apr 2010, 15:56
cherrylock,

can i ask what e-mail address you used for them. i need to contact customer services and filled in the online form request and whilst i have had the automatic acknowledgement, i'm still waiting for a full reply.

regards

pabely
27th Apr 2010, 16:23
Why do Boeing show the GoldCare program is direct with TUI Group Boeing Launches 787 GoldCare Service With TUI Travel PLC | INTERNATIONAL AVIATION NEWS (http://www.aviationnews.eu/2010/04/13/boeing-launches-787-goldcare-service-with-tui-travel-plc/) or this this a different part of the program as there are multiple parts?

bjones4
27th Apr 2010, 16:46
I wonder whether the 787 will appear at Farnborough this year
It's down to appear on the static display but it says it's subject to availability so by no means confirmed yet.

Farnborough ? Attractions - Static Aircraft Listings (http://www.farnborough.com/Site/Content/Farnborough2010/Attractions/Static-Aircraft-Listings.aspx)

Mr @ Spotty M
27th Apr 2010, 17:00
The GoldCare contract for TUI is with Boeing, it is Boeing who are contracting MAEL to carry out the work on the TUI a/c as part of GoldCare product.
Hope it is now a little clearer?

pabely
27th Apr 2010, 19:50
Yes, thanks.

ryansf
1st May 2010, 08:03
Does anyone know what aircraft will be operating MON3974/5 MAN-HER this summer?

Cheers

TSR2
1st May 2010, 08:23
Does anyone know what aircraft will be operating MON3974/5 MAN-HER this summer?

The very cosy 361 seat A300-604. Enjoy.

Falcon666
1st May 2010, 22:48
Understand that the maintenance will be carried out at the Manchester base and not at Luton.
Can anybody confirm?
Assume this could be due to access problems-actually getting the Plane to MAELs hangars at LTN with taxiway restrictions.
Tui i understand have been given a date of Mar 2011 for first 787 delivery but this could slip!

smudgethecat
2nd May 2010, 06:22
Maybe its more to do with the customer wanting the work carried out at MAN

Mr @ Spotty M
2nd May 2010, 08:20
It has nothing to do with taxi way requirements at Luton, it is more to do with hangers and where TUI will base the a/c. MAEL has only one hangar at Luton that can take a B767 with winglets, let alone the B787 wingspan.
My understanding is first delivery for TUI is 2012, but stand to be corrected.

Falcon666
2nd May 2010, 20:11
Mr @ Spotty M

Yeah sorry that should have read Mar 2012 for first delivery.
Understand at LTN though that either the Easy Hangar would have to be shortened or the buildings adjacent to the taxiway link,( currently being worked on again) demolished to allow the wingspan needed to get the 787 to the main Apron and manouverability into any Hangar there.

I guess Luton would like to get the 787 as the longer range from the current runway could open up Florida etc flights again.

Falcon

toledoashley
3rd May 2010, 09:15
The 'cozy' A300 is almost impossible to be comfortable if you are over 5ft and any more than 8 stone. I have never been so uncomfortable on an aircraft, I actually found it easier to stand up for the whole flight.

pwalhx
3rd May 2010, 09:19
I am over 5ft over 8stone and have been on Monarch's A300 more than once. Not the most comfortable but hardly the worst either.

paully
3rd May 2010, 17:34
Worst I`ve ever flown on :{ although SAA`s A340-600 did run it a close second :*

MUFC_fan
3rd May 2010, 17:35
Flying Colours' DC-10s weren't the most comfortable either...

CabinCrewe
3rd May 2010, 18:39
Flying Colours had DC-10's ?? :confused:

MUFC_fan
3rd May 2010, 18:43
Sorry, JMC...they had merged by then! ;-)

Serenity
4th May 2010, 08:19
The Monarch DC10-30 was an absolute dream to travel on. Only 361 seats so plenty of leg room, extra galley space for the crew and a feeling of spaciousness!!
Makes me feel very sad just to see the front left at Manchester every time I pass!!

bjones4
4th May 2010, 16:24
What was made public last week regarding GoldCare now official,
SEATTLE, May 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA) today announced London-based Monarch Aircraft Engineering Ltd. as a maintenance, repair and overhaul partner for the aerospace company's GoldCare service offering for the 787 Dreamliner.

Under the agreement, Monarch will provide scheduled maintenance operations in support of the 787 fleet.

"Monarch Aircraft Engineering has a long history of successful, high-quality maintenance and is a great fit to provide the maintenance component for our 787 GoldCare," said Bob Avery, vice president, Fleet Management for Commercial Aviation Services, Boeing Commercial Airplanes.
Boeing Selects Monarch Aircraft Engineering as a GoldCare Partner - May 4, 2010 (http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1193)

Random Flyer
7th May 2010, 15:20
Apparently Monarch are looking into the possibility of adding flights to Cape Verde from November. No idea on UK departure point.

Buster the Bear
7th May 2010, 15:36
They need a new hangar at Luton for the 787's if they are to be maintained there. Plans were in place once for expansion around the run up bay, I wonder if this might be resurrected?

MUFC_fan
7th May 2010, 15:37
Apparently Monarch are looking into the possibility of adding flights to Cape Verde from November. No idea on UK departure point.

I bet one begins with M and the other G...

Random Flyer
7th May 2010, 15:43

I'm not going to bet against that. :)

smudgethecat
7th May 2010, 15:47
Havent monarch just announced have just sold one of their hangars at LTN ? cannot see any expansion at LTN in the forseeable future ,in fact i can see the opposite happening

Mr @ Spotty M
7th May 2010, 16:05
The TUI B787s are to be maintained at MAN.

TSR2
7th May 2010, 17:49

Muton and Girmingham ;)

pabely
7th May 2010, 18:22
They need a new hangar at Luton for the 787's if they are to be maintained there. Plans were in place once for expansion around the run up bay, I wonder if this might be resurrected?

Buster you are naughty - what are you implying?

CabinCrewe
7th May 2010, 21:27
G- maybe to add to TOMs recently announced flights from GLA to Boa Vista;)

LTNman
8th May 2010, 05:17
Understand at LTN though that either the Easy Hangar would have to be shortened or the buildings adjacent to the taxiway link,( currently being worked on again) demolished to allow the wingspan needed to get the 787 to the main Apron and manouverability into any Hangar there.

Many years ago the first 747 that came to Luton parked on the main apron. Does a 787 have a bigger wing span?

Mr @ Spotty M
8th May 2010, 06:38
Yes by a couple of feet as the B747 was an early version.

TSR2
8th May 2010, 09:12
Spot on Spotty M.

Wingspan comparisons:

B747-100 195' 8"
B747-400 211' 5"
B747-8 224' 7"

B787-3 170' 0" (if ever built)
B787-8 197' 0"
B787-9 197' 0"

SCANDIC
11th May 2010, 12:31
Is there anymore 75's on their way to Monarch or anything at all.

Mr @ Spotty M
11th May 2010, 16:46
No change since the last time you asked.
You will have to wait and see, just like us at Monarch.:ok:

SCANDIC
11th May 2010, 17:14
Ok thank you.:ok:

johnnychips
11th May 2010, 22:49
Good plug - and interesting item - for Monarch on the 'One Show' tonight at about 1915 unfortunately cut off by you know what...

ryansf
12th May 2010, 16:12
Just got back yesterday - I thought the A300 was very comfortable (when compared with other Monarch/charter aircraft), and I'm 6ft/11st. I must also congratulate Monarch, after 10+ flights, I have had my FIRST on time flight! Early in fact.

airnoc
12th May 2010, 19:04
Hi all. What are loads like from noc for the summer to faro with ryanair on the same route with 4 a week comming for the summers months?:confused:

HXdave
13th May 2010, 09:02
airnoc,

why not ask on the noc thread, or the ryanair thread?

strange question to be asking on the Monarch thread...........

Airbus321-200
13th May 2010, 09:23
Loads on the NOC-FAO are always very good with a load factor of over 90%.

But you have to remember this is a charter route with pax on package holidays and is not sold on the monarch website so its up to the charterer to sell the seats.

kevlarcarl
13th May 2010, 10:09
Is the boss at monarch some kind of unofficial BBC spokesman for the airline industry he always on either the tv or radio 4 giving his" expert" view, which i suspect is more about getting free good publicity for monarch than anything else

TSR2
13th May 2010, 13:25
HXdave, I think you mis-understood airnoc's post. He was asking what the Monarch loads were like now that Ryanair operate the same route. Must admit, it took me a while to fathom that one out.

HXdave
14th May 2010, 09:42
TSR2, i see what he means now. thanks for clarifying, and glad to see i wasn't the only one to get a bit confused.

airnoc, my apologies for my uncouth post.

SCANDIC
31st May 2010, 13:29
Has nobody got much to say at the moment.:bored:

md 600 driver
31st May 2010, 18:51
i heard a rumour that monarch engineering was moving into a hanger at church fenton airfield any one confirm ?

ryansf
31st May 2010, 20:36
I doubt it: it's RAF, and you'd barely get an A320 down there, let alone an A330!

jubilee
31st May 2010, 21:17
Went to PMI last Monday afternoon,sat with Ryan Giggs in the gate area,have to say
seemed a reasonable guy to talk to,children well behaved,unlike some of the others.

Went out on the ZB 534 and returned on Jet 2 Saturday evening flight.
On comparison, I preferred the ZB flight. What let Jet2 down - smelly toilet -
tray tables and floor area dirty - PA system most of the time could not be heard -
and the sandwich was not worth the money. (I suppose that goes for most of the airlines).
Jubilee

simonchowder
1st Jun 2010, 09:20
ZB area totally diferent class to jet 2 both times ive flown with jet 2 the cabins were a disgrace they appeared to held together with gaffer tape

Mr A Tis
1st Jun 2010, 09:46
Here we go again Simonchowder loves Monarch & hates Jet2........we all know this -give it a rest mate.
All the LS 757s have brand new cabins & the 73s are next.
I could give you a list of what I like/dont like about LS or ZB.but its a personal choice.
:rolleyes:

MUFC_fan
1st Jun 2010, 10:32
Very much agree Mr A Tis.

What Jet2 have done for LBA has been fantastic and the other airports they are working it, they are doing a great job. Their new cabins are fantastic adding to a world class crew make it a fantastic experience (on their 757s and soon 737s!)

ZB likewise have great crew and aircraft.

To be honest, any flight involving the 757 is a pleasure to fly on - even if sat on a haystack! :ok:

jubilee
1st Jun 2010, 17:00
With Ref. to my post 1157.

Sat near to the front in both aircraft, ZB A320 O/B. LS 757 I/B.
Have to say the 757 noise level was far higher than the A320.
No axe to grind with either airline,in fact flights booked on both later in the year.
Jubilee

MUFC_fan
1st Jun 2010, 17:05
Have to say the 757 noise level was far higher than the A320.

Especially during take-off!:}

SCANDIC
4th Jun 2010, 14:13
G-SMAN not so good at the minute its flying around with only one winglet Swissport ripped it off when towing onto a stand one morning at Man:{

TartinTon
5th Jun 2010, 09:37
Looks like Monarch have added a 3-times a week LGWPMI service starting 17Jul. Always seemed a bit odd that they flew there from all the rest of their UK bases and not LGW.

allosaurus
6th Jun 2010, 19:14
new one fitted sat night.o/t for 3 guys.thank you swissport.

wawkrk
6th Jun 2010, 20:48
I reckon Church Fenton could easily take an empty A330 with 6,000ft+ runway.Monarch put the first 757 into LBA before the runway extension with only 5,400 ft. and even less declared landing distance I think 4,900 ft or so and with 130 pax.BA put a Tristar into Jersey with about 5,590ft of runway.

SCANDIC
14th Jun 2010, 18:56
Any news about anything its gone a bit quiet

Egon Maybach
15th Jun 2010, 11:56
how about:

just announced a £30 MILLION loss for the last FY, (ie not including volcanic disruption)

management shake up announced which puts the IT expert in charge of a committee:ugh: to run the group and try and make good 8 years of PB b*ggeration.

no doubt the loyal hard working folks at the sharp end will again pay the price for poor leadership

Chidken Sangwich
15th Jun 2010, 14:37
Loss of £30.4 million to year end Oct 2009 announced yesterday if you can call that news, the groups first ever loss :eek:.

22/04
15th Jun 2010, 22:29
I can't help feeling that Monarch have sat on their laurels for too long- they've done nothing innovative for a long time and I am slightly fearful of the future. They are small but have little exclusive to offer. They forsook Crown service to chase the lo cos- not wise I think.

Their strength has to be at MAN- they should milk it and shut the door to Easy. To a lesor extent BHX, where they could show real commitment in a way that Baby and Ryanair haven't.

They have not exploited the Carribean and this is becoming lost to BA at LGW.

Competition is fierce at LGW and LTN is insignificant.

They are in need of a breath of fresh air at senior level. Not sure any including TJ have cut the mustard!

I wish them luck- I'd like them to be flying in 42 years time having witnessed G-AOVI inugurating, to Madrid on 5th April 1968

simonchowder
16th Jun 2010, 13:45
Fear not, from what ive heard the ships in good hands ,they have completly restructured the company and created lots of new highly paid top end managers posts ......that should sort it, very sad they were at one time a very tightly run ship sounds like its game over

Skipness One Echo
16th Jun 2010, 14:20
Chowder the loady for CEO. That's what we need. He'll sort it out as an armchair CEO in between shouting at spotters...

Their strength has to be at MAN- they should milk it and shut the door to Easy. To a lesor extent BHX, where they could show real commitment in a way that Baby and Ryanair haven't.

How does milking it directly relate to making more money? Actually £30.4 million isn't half bad all things considered and if I recall, have Monarch always published profits and losses being a private firm? I thought it was all terribly mysterious.

They forsook Crown service to chase the lo cos- not wise I think.
On the face of it I would agree but the numbers never add up when people try and do this when the cheaper fares are driven down by the locos.

smudgethecat
16th Jun 2010, 15:03
Skipness have some respect please, dont attempt to insult someone on a aviation forum by implying their a "loady," so what if they are? those people work bloody hard in all weathers for a very modest salary and without them the industry would grind to a halt very quickly , carry on your childish war with chowder if you wish but dont start denigrating hard working sections of aviation staff in the process

renort
17th Jun 2010, 08:55
everyone assumed PB would be an expert, instead he ruined it.

cherrylock
17th Jun 2010, 10:47
Does this mean monarch are going to the wall? i really hope not as i have just booked to use them for my familes summer holiday:\ and they are a super airline

smudgethecat
17th Jun 2010, 10:59
Very much doubt it, i would say they are less likely to go than most
Monarch boss: 'We'll be back in the black' - Travel Trade Gazette (http://www.ttglive.com/c/portal/layout?p_l_id=3208370&CMPI_SHARED_articleId=4162900&CMPI_SHARED_ImageArticleId=4162900&CMPI_SHARED_articleIdRelated=4162900&CMPI_SHARED_ToolsArticleId=4162900&CMPI_SHARED_CommentArticleId=4162900&articleTitle=Monarch%20boss:%20'We'll%20be%20back%20in%20the %20black)'

flybar
17th Jun 2010, 11:30
Its actually worse than it sounds at first listen - a long way to come back from!!

Cosmos Holidays’ pre-tax loss in 2009 was £32.9 million, Monarch Airlines lost £19.2 million, and seat-only operator Avro lost £10.3 million.

The group’s loss was lower than the total of the three companies because their figures reflect loan write-offs within the group.

SCANDIC
26th Jun 2010, 11:44
Any fresh news of any new aircraft coming to Monarch yet.:ok::ok:

Mr @ Spotty M
26th Jun 2010, 21:21
Yes, none planned at this time.

Jamie2k9
1st Jul 2010, 12:32
Does anyone know why MON stoped flying to Murcia??

HXdave
1st Jul 2010, 12:46
it was mentioned on another thread in here that Murcia is primerily a military base, and 'opens' the airport to civilian traffic for a very limited amount of time each day. miss your arrival into Murcia by a matter of minutes, and you have to divert to Alicante (and then have to transfer all passengers too). Miss your departure out of Murcia, and you plane is effectively impounded until the airport next 'opens'.

thats what i was lead to believe, however i'm sure someone could clarify that it's true, or that i'm talking a load of 'tosh'......... lol

Jamie2k9
1st Jul 2010, 15:17
Im not sure either but if this was the case Ryanair wouldn't fly from the airport?

TSR2
1st Jul 2010, 15:24
I have a feeling that it was the 'military' closure that was the reason for Monarch ceasing the Murcia flights.

Although the closure is Monday to Friday only I seem to recall Jet2 having quite a few problems last summer through it.

TartinTon
1st Jul 2010, 19:02
Nothing to do with the opening times. The airport is open all afternoon. Jet2 had problems because they decided to aim for a couple of 20min windows available in the morning that were subject to closure by the airforce if they desired. My understanding is that the route died because of the collapse in the 2nd home market in that region meaning less pax and less yield.

Jamie2k9
1st Jul 2010, 23:46
A new airport called Corvera Airport which is 30km away from Murcia is due to open in 2010 and there is talks of Murcia to close to air traffic and be a milletry Base but Murcia airport operator AENA aloowed the construction of a sexond runway and there will be no operating restrictions on air traffic.

The new airport wont have air traffic until 2012 at the earlist.

IS MURCIA BIG ENOUGH FOR TWO AIRPORTS? | Costa Blanca | Leader Newspaper - News, Sport, Advertising, Property, Classifieds - Costa Blanca, Costa del Sol, Costa Calida, Costa de Almeria, Spain (http://www.theleader.info/article/23635/spain/costa-blanca/is-murcia-big-enough-for-two-airports/)

SCANDIC
6th Jul 2010, 20:21
Would there ever be a chance of Monarch buying another airline cos i heard a rumour that Monarch were after buying jet2.

TSR2
6th Jul 2010, 20:28
Why on earth would Jet2 sell up. If anything it would be Jet2 buying Monarch if recent financial results are anything to go by. Just rumours and nothing more IMHO.

rumair999
6th Jul 2010, 20:53
SCANDIC ' cos i heard a rumour that Monarch were after buying jet2'

Really ? where did you hear this rubbish ? or did you just make it up to keep this thread going with yet more silly statements ! :=

757flyer
6th Jul 2010, 21:22
i very much doubt it.

DjerbaDevil
7th Jul 2010, 01:00
SASKATOON9999 (mhtml:{25171FF0-2B93-487E-847D-B68C941D8898}mid://00002205/!x-usc:http://www.pprune.org/members/25234-saskatoon9999):

Monarch Airlines is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Monarch Holdings, which in turn is 100%-owned by the Globus Travel Group. The Swiss Albek and Mantegazza families are the majority owners of the holding group, it would appear.

Doubtless you may have every reason to make the positive financial statements about Monarch in your post and assert that one company in the group can afford to make a loss "whilst a greater profit is made elsewhere in the corporation".

The recent announcment of a loss at Monarch would appear to have involved the entire group of companies in the UK without exception.

It would be a pleasure to give you the benefit of the doubt concerning the "greater profit made elsewhere in the corporation" if you would kindly let us have here the web site where the yearly financial accounts are published for the group for 2009-2010.

In the meantime you can see the Dart Group accounts which include the Jet2 results and the distribution company accounts in the net. These are showing an increased profit for the distribution business and a fall in profits for JET2 but a profit nonetheless. The accounts also show that the shares are good value for money. Meaning that the assets of the Dart Group as a whole are worth more than the value of the shares. Perhaps this is why there are rumours that there are buyers for JET2 out there.

You are probably quite right concerning the heavy maintenance costs of the older JET2 airframes but the secret is that they are bought outright and can be flown only when they are profitable to be moved. Others have to keep their airframes moving because they don't own them or they are leased and hope to get enough sales to break even or make a profit with on board sales. Others have to get subsidies from overseas tourist authorities to show a profit........ Monarch are not among the foregoing but without seeing published accounts, it is impossible to see where their strengths and weaknesses lie. Certainly from every point of view the Monarch group of companies is very well integrated and should make very healthy overall profits but times have been very hard and maybe JET2 have had the edge that Monarch have not had.

Your response and direction to get a view the Globus/Monarch group accounts would be much appreciated.

Airbus321-200
7th Jul 2010, 07:17
@DjerbaDevil

In that article you must have read it would have also mentioned that this was the first loss in its 42 year history. I dread to think where Jet2 will be in 42 yrs ( if around at all). The Dart group are profitable now but they dont have the resources of backing that Monarch have.

757flyer
7th Jul 2010, 07:49
DjerbaDevil is correct

@ SASKATOON9999, prove it.....oh you cant.....point made me thinks

757flyer
7th Jul 2010, 08:22
SASKATOON9999.....indeed. And patronising comments like "boy" really show your maturity. As you well know the "family" have given notice to Monarch that there is not a bottomless pit of money to be lost and that its financial viability must be shown in order to survive. I really do hope that Monarch pull through as they are one of this countries oldest and most respected airlines. Jet2 is doing fine thanks, the aircraft are older but costs are low and under control, the business is expanding with particular success at Jet2 holidays. In fact Monarch established itself in a similar way back in the 60s and 70s with old Britannia aircraft and old Boeing 720s, once their management re focus on its core business and cuts costs and maintains control of those costs I am sure they will survive and prosper.

HXdave
7th Jul 2010, 08:30
Airbus321-200

I dread to think where Jet2 will be in 42 yrs ( if around at all).

Funnily enough, if you look at the history of Jet2 & Dart, you will see that:

1971 (39 years ago) Carpenters Air Services started, flying flowers from Guernsey to the UK mainland (albeit with a chartered aircraft)

1975 (35 Years ago) Express Air Freight (CI) was formed, again using charteres aircraft.

1978 (32 years ago) Express Air Freight aquired their own Handley Page Dart Herald aircraft to operate their services.

So really, the business has been going for 39 years, so only 3 years off Monarch, and like mentioned before, they own all their aircraft, not lease them. So if anyone would want to buy Jet2.com, they would indeed have to buy the aircraft themselves, not just the leases.

purplehelmet
7th Jul 2010, 11:09
this monarch jet2 buy out rumour was banded around on the jet2 forum back in febuary.
so scandic have you anything new to add to it or are you just trying to resurrect the same old rumour?

smudgethecat
8th Jul 2010, 07:57
Actually scandics not the only person to have heard the rumour its fairly widespread at LGW at present, however why would monarch i wonder want to buy a outfit such as jet 2, those ancient aircraft must now be becoming a real liability in terms of maintenence costs and customer perception , not a good move would have thought.

SCANDIC
8th Jul 2010, 08:54
You see i'm not just trying to get an old rumour going, but the people on this website will jump in with both feet before thinking. It is puite a strong rumour at the moment.

purplehelmet
8th Jul 2010, 11:29
scandic. my apologies for doubting you and jumping with both feet.
i still dont think this will happen though,and agree with smudge that it would be a bad move for mon.
having said that jet2/dart group knocked out a fair profit again last year,regardless of the age of the fleet etc their game plan seems to working thus far.

renort
8th Jul 2010, 22:02
those ancient aircraft must now be becoming a real liability in terms of maintenence costs and customer perception

are you talking about Monarch AB6s or the Jet2 fleet :E.

DjerbaDevil
9th Jul 2010, 00:44
According to data on the NET, 10 of Monarch's airframes out of 30 are over 20 year's old or approaching 20 year's of age. No different to JET2.
This fact would not be important, just as in the case of JET2, the age of the fleet is compensated by the high level of maintenance and new interiors and seats. Passengers don't sit on the wings and the interiors are spacious, comfortable and smell new, and the crew friendly and helpful.

In the case of Monarch on the other hand suffice to draw attention to the reviews from customers and passengers at: Monarch Airlines - SeatPlans.com (http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/Monarch-Airlines)

The reviews indicate a total lack of customer relations that should lead to alerts to quality control and then management awareness of these problems related to their product and getting decisions to invest substantial funds to upgrade their aircraft. If they continue to ignore their failures to their customers, they will be handing their business to EZY, RYR and others, which would be a very sad ending to a magnificent group of companies.

If the rumours about MON buying out JET2 are correct, then it must be "The Family" trying to find someone to run their show efficiently and at a profit.

22/04
9th Jul 2010, 07:51
I think that the hope may be to build critical mass; Monarch in particular has become quite marginalised by the competition at Gatwick (EZY) and will feel the heat at machester too as the airline expands there. A Jet2 /MON merger would lead to an airline of some size especially in the North.

Would both brands be kept I wonder; there would be argument that Jet2 might be the stronger brand.

Skipness One Echo
9th Jul 2010, 08:33
there would be argument that Jet2 might be the stronger brand.

Monarch is older and I would say has a pretty loyal clientel. I think that more people UK wide know Monarch than Jet2. Besides the pretty old B737 fleet can't soldier on forever.

TSR2
9th Jul 2010, 09:41
According to data on the NET, 10 of Monarch's airframes out of 30 are over 20 year's old or approaching 20 year's of age. No different to JET2

Don't think you are correct with that statement. According to the CAA records 28 out of 30 aircraft in the Jet2 fleet are 21 years old or older and 16 of those 28 are 24 years old.

I am not in any way implying they are not safe, just simply responding to a statement.

DjerbaDevil
9th Jul 2010, 11:48
OK quite agree but the point being made was that Monarch are also flying older aircraft and at least one third of the Monarch fleet are as old as the JET2 airframes. The big difference between the two airlines are the standards of comfort and service offered to the passengers.
On the safety issue methinks I prefer the oldies. My faith in human pilots who have the overall flying control is unshaken.

Egon Maybach
9th Jul 2010, 22:47
Monarch need the distraction of an aquisition like a hole in the head right now, its got its own internal fish to fry.

captaintrigger
10th Jul 2010, 12:45
Anyone know what winter work is confirmed? Have heard allsorts of stuff from No Male or Calgary on A330. One A330 going to Garuda on Hajj. One 757 in Toronto flying to and From Caribbean? No Air Med!

Anyone got any news?

smudgethecat
11th Jul 2010, 10:55
I hear there has been big changes announced with the varios depts engineering etc merging with the airline and the old boss of engineering is now the main man, is that true or merely more unfounded gossip

renort
11th Jul 2010, 15:17
Old news. It was mentioned 2 pages ago before someone decided to play fantasy airline manager with the jet2 BS

L4key
20th Jul 2010, 16:38
Hi - Can anyone help and tell me what the seat pitch is on the A321 MAN-AGP?

I'm considering the extra legroom option if below 30" and I seem to remember last time I did the trip there wasn't much room for me being over 6' long.

Thanks in advance.

BFS101
20th Jul 2010, 18:31
In the main cabin it varies between 28 and 29".

SeatGuru Seat Map Monarch Airlines Airbus A321-200 (321) (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Monarch_Airlines/Monarch_Airlines_Airbus_A321-200.php)

Hope this helps...

L4key
21st Jul 2010, 11:35
It does, thanks! I've read a few and is it me or are Monarch notoriously bad for seat pitch? I know lo-co's aren't great but Monarch try and set themselves above a bit.

Anyway, from the looks of reviews thank god it's not the A300...

SCANDIC
21st Jul 2010, 11:48
Monarch have leased a 767-300 from Euro atlantic for a while.:ok:

Tight Seat
21st Jul 2010, 12:10
Any more details, or is it just a short sub to cover a broken bird?

mmeteesside
21st Jul 2010, 12:22
Working on the military flights from Brize + Durham Tees to Middle East

Mr @ Spotty M
21st Jul 2010, 15:51
It is not on Lease, it is doing sub charters for MON, operating flights for the MOD.
MON have been using a number of carriers over the last month.

L4key
21st Jul 2010, 15:56
Whatever, wherever, whenever and whoever -

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!

:rolleyes:

'Notoriously bad' compared to other lo-co's.

I'd love to pay more but unfortunately it's only lo-co's that fly there from MAN.

Whiskey Zulu
23rd Jul 2010, 04:42
'Notoriously bad' compared to other lo-co's

Codswallop!

I'd love to pay more

Codswallop!

The vast majority of people book online these days and base their purchasing decisions based on COST.

If you'd LOVE to pay more, as you say, you are in the minority. The option to purchase extra legroom does however perfectly fulfill both your requirements. So what exactly is your issue? :rolleyes:

L4key
23rd Jul 2010, 08:29
Point 1. I didn't want to say the name because of arguments on this thread before but Jet2 are down as having 30" min. There, said it. I'm sure fanboys will jump on me for that. I have no allegiance personally but always thought of Monarch as sort of lo-co'+' and plumped for them 9/10 times.

Point 2. In a minority I may be, but as I only speak for 'me' and asked a question relating only to me I don't see how that matters?

I can pay more for the legroom seats which is fine, thanks, and my original question has been very helpfully answered. Won't do much about the usual stag/hen do's* that litter lo-co flights though!

*On this point I am slightly hypocritical, I am perfectly happy to use them when I've been on stag do's. (Though I am well behaved compared to most of the drunken morons I usually come across).

Tight Seat
23rd Jul 2010, 08:40
L4Key

And what is the leg room on a 321 at Monarch, pray tell.

L4key
23rd Jul 2010, 10:27
Tight Seat (apt name!) but read the thread:

In the main cabin it varies between 28 and 29".

SeatGuru Seat Map Monarch Airlines Airbus A321-200 (321)

Hope this helps...

Look, I'm not trying to poke a snake pit of chippy Monarch stalwarts so I'll back out now. Thanks for answering my question initially. My only other issue was that I always thought Monarch were 'better' than the others and not to be grouped with the other lo-co's. SASKATOON was kindly pointing out my error!

I fly 3 times a year to Malaga and we always fly Monarch if we can and it's, more often than not, more expensive than the others, albeit not by much.

What I have only just realised, thanks to this exchange, - and the seat pitch thing is only one manifestation of this - is that really it is just another lo-co.

Tight Seat
23rd Jul 2010, 10:43
Sit up front, pay a little more, well worth it. We are a lo-co, but we are not a 'no-frills' outfit.

L4key
23rd Jul 2010, 11:16
Yep, that's true to be fair, so please never do speedy boarding!

Ps - TS if you're a Cpt or F/O says a lot that you come in here and defend your airline. I apologise for my comments re 'chippy snakes' - that's reserved only for the SLF like me, not aimed at crew, back or front who have a right to be defensive and I would hope they are, as I am about the company I work for.

PPS - How much to sit in the jumpseat? :}

Whiskey Zulu
23rd Jul 2010, 17:35
The current ZB product is driven by market forces. The original buisness model was much different! Free drinks, free meal, free newspapers, hot towels etc. BUT, unfortunately, it didn't make any money! Hence SASKATOON9999's comment is absolutely bang on.

SCANDIC
25th Jul 2010, 10:12
Whats happened to the Euroatlantic 76 its gone already off jethros website.

greatoaks
25th Jul 2010, 10:52
Now the boundries seem to becoming blurred what is the definition of a LOCO?

Is Monarch a LOCO ?

Mr @ Spotty M
25th Jul 2010, 11:06
SCANDIC, it should never have been on there, see post 1220.:ok:

TSR2
25th Jul 2010, 11:38
Is Monarch a LOCO ?

ZB flights are Loco.
MON flights are charter.

Shed-on-a-Pole
25th Jul 2010, 12:22
"LOCO" (Low Cost Airline) refers to the cost base of an operator. In its purest form, expenditures by the company are kept to an absolute minimum (as demonstrated by Ryanair). This is not to be confused with the passenger experience which is best described as "NO FRILLS" (as opposed to "Full Service"). "Low Cost" does NOT refer to the fare paid by the customer, it relates only to outgoings on the company balance sheet.

As a customer, the "low cost" model can often see you paying a high fare for a "no frills" experience (eg. for booking on a popular route at short notice). Conversely, it is often possible to secure a bargain fare for a "full service" experience. This is normal business practice in the airline industry (yield management; maximization of revenues) regardless of the business model.

The widely held public misconception that a "no frills" airline exclusively offers low fares is one which the companies concerned have little incentive to correct. If the traveling public believe that Airline X will always offer them the lowest possible fare, why would the airline disabuse them of that notion?

If you are a regular purchaser of air travel, educate yourself to understand the demarcation between products. Then you can make an informed choice when selecting a tariff based on the price offered versus the service you can expect to receive.

Remember: "Low Cost Airline" does NOT mean "Low Fare Airline". Recognizing this distinction will allow you to make an informed choice when you book a flight. Bon Voyage!

SHED.

SCANDIC
2nd Aug 2010, 08:49
Whats with all the monarch delays at manchester this weekend has something gone tech.

Tight Seat
2nd Aug 2010, 11:30
Couple of 321s broke and 300. Fog in Kos didn't help.

Serenity
2nd Aug 2010, 13:57
If Monarch are looking for new a/c, there are 5 Thai A330`s sitting in Bordeaux currently. Dont know if maybe there for maint at Sabena, otherwise looking very out of place!!

Mr @ Spotty M
2nd Aug 2010, 16:00
The 5 Thai A330`s sitting in Bordeaux are awaiting delivery to Thai.
They were using the Japanese seat manufacture that has had its EASA certification removed, this because of falsifying seat test results.:=
So are short of seats for the pax to sit on, l guess perfect for a Ryanair operation, thus enabling Michael to charge extra if you require a seat.:E

Jamesair
2nd Aug 2010, 16:34
A RECENT BOOKING EXPERIENCE.

4 adults travelling to Las Palmas in October..we decided to try Monarch Scheduled from Luton, the times and flight times looked good. Online booking commenced...select flights, delete insurance (which I thought was not now meant to be a default option) etc, etc, etc....pay by Debit card, one payment, one amount resulted in what looked liked 8 sector charges....names etc, etc....press book.....OUT OF TIME.

RESULT....we booked with EZY from Gatwick at £200+ less incl. speedy boarding, baggage etc. with a single DR card charge. Booking lost by MON.

Tight Seat
2nd Aug 2010, 16:55
Type faster:ouch:

hapzim
2nd Aug 2010, 18:05
With Easy track record at the moment will they have the crew to operate the flight?

Sorry your Monarch experience was not up to scratch.

IB4138
2nd Aug 2010, 19:28
Utter B@llocks!

I booked flights for Mrs IB and I with Easy for November AGP-MAN return, in early June. Monarch same dates, were £150 dearer. Monarch are still disguising the end price with their "add ons", which Easy don't.

The last tweak to their website was also detremental for the user.

By the sound of it, you work for MON.

I read on another site that Transavia's web site had the final price payable, available from the very first page. Something the UK based locos should learn from. It's a breath of fresh air.

ericlday
2nd Aug 2010, 20:13
For our return trip to TFS for winter from LTN, 30/10 Mon 30.99 + 35.76 taxes = 68.55 Ryanair same day 28.79 no taxes. So a loyal ZB client now traveling with another airline.

TartinTon
2nd Aug 2010, 20:31
Mon 30.99 + 35.76 taxes = 68.55 Ryanair same day 28.79 no taxes. So a loyal ZB client now traveling with another airline

Must be a hell of a lot cheaper to fly to TFS than I thought......enjoy FR eric...at those prices they will soon be the only player on the route...and then guess what? That Monarch price of £68.55 will look like a bargain.....:=:=:=

Some people are so dumb...I bet you booked with Excel and Goldtrail too....

Let's face it, £11 is APD..no escape from that...plus Luton don't let anyone fly for free..so even if they got a great deal that's another, say, £4 to them...so £15 of your £29 has gone to other people leaving FR £14 to pay for fuel, nav, handling, crews, advertising, head office etc etc...

Enjoy your deal but don't bleat and moan when you're paying £150 next year as you helped put the price up.

ericlday
2nd Aug 2010, 20:57
Was not that long ago we paid £90 each with Monarch (one way) and were happy with that. Now we have just paid £87 for both inc all the add ons.

TartinTon
2nd Aug 2010, 21:24
eric...I see that but you paint yourself as a "loyal ZB client" and yet you were happy to pay £90 not so long ago...the price for ZB this year was £68.55...not a bad saving...at least with ZB you know they are going to look after you if things go wrong...FR won't.

These forums are full of passengers slagging off FR for the service that they give and saying how they would pay extra for that additional service and peace of mind blah,blah,blah. The truth is that price, not value, is king for most people and that's why if your flight gets cancelled don't come back on here complaining that ZB or EZY or whoever are fleecing you for a short-notice booking (another all-too-common complaint) because you had your chance to book at, quite frankly, a bargain fare of £69.

You chose to book with the lowest of the low and good luck to you for getting the fare but it's hardly fair to berate ZB for charging a rate that is still, let's face it, below cost.

While I'm at it, IB4138, the Monarch cost on the front screen is no different to what you see with Easy. The total is on the right of the screen but broken down. The rest of the add-ons, just like Easy, get added on as you go through and are optional. If you want real hidden charges try Jet2s site...

Jamie2k9
2nd Aug 2010, 22:20
What do you expect Ryanair are getting a 100% discount on all charges for every route they operate from the Canary Islands. Every other airline who operate flights to the Canary Islands are paying for Ryanair's 100% discount. Thats why they can sell flights with no tax.

clareview
3rd Aug 2010, 05:54
and if you were in business and were offered a deal like that you mean you would'nt jump at it because it was unfair to your competitors? Business is business, profit is profit, opportunities are to be grasped.

I do not have the opportunity to fly Monarch often due to where I live but my 2 experiences of them were very positive, both in terms of price and service (B757s). However, as has been said, price then convenience rule

Serenity
3rd Aug 2010, 10:25
Booked ZB to ALC in sept, £39.99 each one way and similar for the return a week later. Couldn't be beaten on any other airline website!!
If prices are going up, then there are only a few seats left on that flight!!
I didn't book seats, no need to, at least I don't have to fight for them as I would on Easy!!

From the sound of other Easyjet threads, at least I don't have to worry about the flight being cancelled!!

IB4138
3rd Aug 2010, 12:11
TarTin

It is not the same. ZB have two prices on the first screen, the most prevelent being without taxes and as you say, the full cost, with taxes added, on the right in pink and smaller font. Why don't they show just the full tax inclusive cost as Easy do? Is it an attempt to mislead?

Tight Seat
3rd Aug 2010, 13:03
IB4318,

If you think you have been deliberately misled by the Monarch website feel free to inform trading standards. I'm sure the company legal team would enjoy your expert knowledge.

Jamesair
3rd Aug 2010, 14:22
A non-alert passenger could escape noticing that insurance has already been added to the fare without an earlier option being given to include/reject it. EZY changed their policy on this some time back.

righthandrule
3rd Aug 2010, 14:26
At the end of the day, if you travel with no bags or added extras you will pay the price given to you when you select flights. Airlines are not trying to mislead or confuse passengers. If you go into a car dealership and say I want a ford fiesta - yes it's advertised at £9,995 on tv but you can dam well expect to pay more for a 1.4 litre engine, or alloys or metallic paint. It's exactly the same with airlines, and many other products and services you can buy. All this talk of 'hidden extras' - well they are not hidden as you cannot proceed without opting in or out of them. Is it really worth comparing airline pricing structures, when most people don't even know how a low cost airline structure works. At the end of the day loyalty gets you no where, I'm a 'loyal' Jet2 employee and 'die hard supporter' but yes I fly with ryanair, easyjet, thomas cook, bmi baby etc ... And don't feel the need to constantly gripe and go on about how much I paid.

TartinTon
3rd Aug 2010, 16:42
It is not the same. ZB have two prices on the first screen, the most prevelent being without taxes and as you say, the full cost, with taxes added, on the right in pink and smaller font. Why don't they show just the full tax inclusive cost as Easy do? Is it an attempt to mislead?

The base price and the all-inclusive price are exactly the same font size and colour on my screen.

Personally, I like to see the breakdown of the various charges.

Hardly misleading when it's all the info on the same page but as Tight Seat says if you really feel you have a point take it to trading standards.

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to let us know how you get on?

IB4138
3rd Aug 2010, 17:41
No.

All I'm suggesting is that the full fare (inc taxes) is shown up front and nothing else. It's not just ZB who need to do this , but WW, Jet2, Ryanair and several others.

If the Dutch can do it, then so can the Brits and Irish.

Touchy are you guys in MONland! :rolleyes:

OltonPete
3rd Aug 2010, 18:26
Monarch done some nifty scheduling Saturday at BHX when "BP" went
tech in Larnaca on Friday.

They managed to postion in a 321 from Gatwick in the early afternoon
and got the schedule back on track by Sunday.

However another one today has back-fired at BHX after aircraft "BI"
was taken this afternoon for a service elsewhere delaying the BHX-
Tenerife three hours.

The TFS had to wait for "RA" from Heraklion, which night-stops at BHX some weeks or operates a later HER.

However "RA" took off on the Tenerife at 18.56 followed by two loud bangs
on rotation and emergency landing back at BHX (19.09)

I was watching it on flightradar24.com and it appeared to level out at 2500 ft and didn't hang around - would that be an overweight landing with TFS fuel on board?

I assume another headache for ZB ops and a story to tell for the pax!

BBC News - 'Engine fire' on Monarch plane at Birmingham Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-10860160)

Pete

Mr @ Spotty M
3rd Aug 2010, 20:31
The aircraft was moved to LTN to cover a A321 that has been tech for the last few days and then back to BHX after its rotation.
Now if we were Ryanair or easyjet it would be no problem now would it, we would just cancel the flights and you might get a seat sometime later on in the week if you are lucky.
You get what you pay for, you will 99% of the time get your flight, might not leave on the same day or could be merged with another flight on a larger a/c but it will operate.
So if you want to gamble try Ryanair and now easyjet if reports lately are to go by.

OltonPete
3rd Aug 2010, 20:56
Mr @ Spotty M

Cheers for the info re "BI" all seems to be okay after the emergency landing with "RA" - it was a mayday call.

Monarch at BHX have been quite smart with a couple of long layovers such as one tonight and one Sunday, which goes a long way in helping in summer.

I am not usually one to defend ryanair but as far as I can remember since the ash cloud they have cancelled only a couple of flights at BHX this summer and one was because Murcia closed (during the ATC strike). I think the
other was a knock on delay with a Dublin flight.

Baby also have experienced delays due to their tight schedule but I can only remember Nice cancelled since the ash cloud but might have been others.

Monarch have cancelled nothing at bhx since the ash cloud & only easyjet at BHX can match that - oops forgot they don't operate in the Midlands during summer do they?

Pete

OltonPete
4th Aug 2010, 22:29
Second flight had to return to BHX in as many days today with "BI" having
problems on the BHX-LCA service this afternoon.

However as yesterdays TFS was running about 16 hours late with a
recovery aircraft, this was then used on turnaround to cover for the late running Larnaca.

Problem now, BHX has six aircraft covering its four based schedule.
How are ZB managing to cover this elsewhere and how are the two
sick BHX aircraft?

Despite all the media hysteria on local TV and in print, the schedule has once again been recovered reasonably well but has another UK base suffered?

Pete

Jamie2k9
4th Aug 2010, 22:47
Monarch have two a/c based in Dublin

Flight operate from Thursday until Sunday.

An A320 is in Dublin from Wednesday night until Sunday night
An A321 is in Dublin from Thursday night until Sunday nigh

I'm not sure if both a/c stay in Dublin when not operating flights or they go to another base and operate for the days they are not operating flights from Dublin or they are on stand by for other a/c which go tec.

Jamie2k9
4th Aug 2010, 23:03
Palma - MAN - due 13:45 - arrived 22:20
Alicante - MAN - due 21:35 - estimated Thu 05 Aug 02:05
Malaga - MAN - due 22:20 - estimated Thu 05 Aug 05:20
MAN - Paphos - dep 09:40 - departed 21:44

Gatwick and Luton flights has delays are around between 1 hours and 2 hours 30 minutes.

So BHX problems are having an impact

Flightrider
4th Aug 2010, 23:03
has another UK base suffered?

Yes, Gatwick has been something of a calamity today. Delays ranging from seven hours downwards as aircraft seem to be on a first-in, first-out to spread the impact across all flights rather than just one or two individual services taking a hammering.

Mr @ Spotty M
5th Aug 2010, 04:49
For info the MAN-Paphos was nothing to do with the BHX incidents, it was because a tow bar incident caused damage on push back on a A300.
They have been using the B757 yesterday afternoon covering a A321 flight at LGW & MAN and the plan yesterday afternoon was to use the A300 on a A321 rotation this morning at MAN.
The DUB based aircraft are used at other bases when not in DUB, it would not be cost effective to use DUB if they were not.