PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Airways AB Initio Pilot Recruitment

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14

daladaladriver
24th Mar 2014, 08:17
Pole sana Brainiarc. But big ups to you for taking initiative to make your dreams come true. A lot of people wait for the stars to line up before they make a move (i.e. get a passport). Everything has to be in place... but life never works out that way. Have fun down south!

starscreen
24th Mar 2014, 13:11
We did the first medical on Friday,at the same time with direct entry...so i believe the lab tests were delivered separately with the thursday group which was the majority

Dexman72
24th Mar 2014, 19:21
@Nickmory, how did it go at the passport control offices? You guys got your passports?
@Starscreen, how many were you on the Friday group? Any wind on how many the Thursday group were?

gear up job
25th Mar 2014, 03:36
Hey lad. Do you happen to know how many of the Direct guys did there medicals?

nickmory
26th Mar 2014, 04:48
hi @Dex, still haven't gotten the passport but apparently yesterday there was progress in the movement...am hopeful today will be the day.

starscreen
26th Mar 2014, 09:00
@gear up job...about 9 give or take...@dexman thursday about 19

jizzo
26th Mar 2014, 20:17
finally got mine today. wil scan and send tomorrow. hoping for the best in the next stages. Wish u all success

BenOnyach
30th Mar 2014, 07:48
Hey aviators, anybody who's gotten feedback from kq after the medicals?

LOPA
30th Mar 2014, 14:31
Rules Of The Air
From the June, 2000 issue of Australian Aviation Magazine
1. Takeoffs are optional. Landing is mandatory.
2. If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If
you pull stick back, they get smaller. That is unless you
keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger
again.
3. Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is dangerous.
4. It's always better to be down here wishing you were up
there than up there wishing you were down here.
5. The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on
fire.
6. The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to
keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch
the pilot start sweating.
7. When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever
collided with the sky.
8. A 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. A
'great' landing is one after which they can use the plane
again.
9. Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long
enough to make all of them yourself.
10. You know you've landed with the wheels up if it takes
full power to taxi to the ramp.
11. The probability of survival is inversely proportional to
the angle of arrival. Large angle of arrival, small probability
of survival and vice versa.
12. Never let an aircraft take you somewhere your brain
didn't get to five minutes earlier.
13. Stay out of clouds. The silver lining everyone keeps
talking about might be another airplane going in the
opposite direction. Reliable sources also report that
mountains have been known to hide out in clouds.
14. Always try to keep the number of landings you make
equal to the number of take offs you've made.
15. There are three simple rules for making a smooth
landing. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.
16. You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of
experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before
you empty the bag of luck.
17. Helicopters can't fly; they're just so ugly the earth repels
them.
18. If all you can see out of the window is ground that's
going round and round and all you can hear is commotion
coming from the passenger compartment, things are not at
all as they should be.
19. In the ongoing battle between objects made of
aluminum going hundreds of miles per hour and the ground
going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.
20. Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately,
experience usually comes from bad judgment.
21. It's always a good idea to keep the pointy end going
forward.
22. Keep looking around. There's always something you've
missed.
23. Remember: Gravity is not just a good idea, it's the law.
And it's not subject to repeal. Or appeal.
24. The three most useless things to a pilot are: altitude
above you, runway behind you, and a tenth of a second ago.

Trackdiamond
30th Mar 2014, 14:48
Well received LOPA!

More like survival Rules for Pilots! Why didn't they teach me that before I soloed decades ago??:D

LOPA
1st Apr 2014, 10:11
Where thou at yee precious email, me heart is growing weary

Aerodrifter
3rd Apr 2014, 17:32
@LOPA, hahaha! Very logical.

blackemboy
4th Apr 2014, 14:46
I have been checking the career site everyday for a while. It is finally here. Thing is I need help filling out the application. In the qualification and skills section I have added the KCSE Certificate as well as the Math, English and physics marks in KCSE. My question is what do I fill out in the qualification column, and for the case of marks for individual subjects, do I enter the marks as a comma separated list.

LOPA
4th Apr 2014, 17:01
@blackemboy, yap, separate them with commas e.g. A, A, A. I see you're 21 years of age, hope you already have a degree (assumption) i.e. get 100% on that assessment - height, age, qualifications etc

blackemboy
5th Apr 2014, 06:29
@lopa, I do meet the qualifications. Degree, height, age, mean grades, Although I don't know where I provide these two details i.e height, age, on the application site. In addition how do they evaluate this characteristics:Must be a good team player of high integrity, Must posses strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, Must be medically fit with good eyesight.

ChegeAviator
5th Apr 2014, 07:03
Hi. Unless the application form has changed, it is quite self explanatory as to what you should fill where. Take your time to read it, understand it, then fill it. Proof read it severally before you submit it.

As for the inter-personal skills and the rest, some of these come out as you go through the testing process, but from what I understood is that those are the qualities they are looking for in employees.

LOPA
5th Apr 2014, 11:05
@Blackemboy, the last part of the application is usually an assessment with question regarding your height & age range etc I believe thats what filters out those who dont meet the minimum qualifications.

blackemboy
5th Apr 2014, 21:50
Just applied. fingers crossed. the wait begins. Thank you @Lopa and @ChegeAviator

Dreamer_
7th Apr 2014, 07:13
Keep calm guys. Continue doing what you have been doing, our fates are sealed.

Mawingu
7th Apr 2014, 09:43
Hi guys,

I am applying for the next intake. I have updated my profile, ID number, qualifications and all. When applying for the ab initio job, there are no questions loading up on stage 3 of 4. It prompts me whether I would like to re-take the assessment and even when I click that, no questions load up :zzz: I don't want to submit my application without taking the questions. Anyone experienced this?

blackemboy
8th Apr 2014, 08:55
@mawingu hey I experienced the same issues, planning on calling pride center don't know if they will help. I went ahead and submitted the application though. It will be so sad if that is what gets me eliminated.

ChegeAviator
9th Apr 2014, 05:51
Hey guys. I've just gotten the email informing me that I've passed the medical stage. They've requested us to be patient as they await confirmation from the respective schools as to when their assessments will be. So it's confirmed that there is another test (I'm guessing it's an aptitude test) before the orals.

Dreamer_
9th Apr 2014, 06:15
@ChegeAviator I have received the same email. Let's wait now.

LOPA
9th Apr 2014, 07:34
Finally some activity :ok:

Turn down for What
9th Apr 2014, 08:11
Got the email as well @Aviator
Any one with an idea of what to expect from the next stage i.e. assessment from the schools?

bobcollins
9th Apr 2014, 22:53
@chegeaviator I highly doubt whether we will have another aptitude test?

LOPA
10th Apr 2014, 03:34
Maybe a psychological analysis

ChegeAviator
10th Apr 2014, 05:43
It was just a guess. I'm saying aptitude because most major flight schools require prospective students to sit an aptitude test before enrolment. Of our local flight schools, Kenya School of Flying requires a prospective student pass their aptitude test before they can be enrolled.

Please note that the tests we've been doing are KQ entrance tests and have nothing to do with the flying schools; just the same way some of the DEP candidates may have sat entrance aptitudes wherever they trained for flying and still had to do the KQ entrance tests. It may now be vice versa for us.

I personally hope that it's not another aptitude test. I just want to start this training immediately!

Dexman72
10th Apr 2014, 06:59
I received the same mail...what a relief!! The flight school assessment is most likely an aptitude test...then the orals after. I wish we could start this training immediately...and the timelines made clear too.

ChegeAviator
10th Apr 2014, 09:14
We received an email on March 13th asking us to confirm that we have:
1. Valid Kenyan Passport-At least 18 months validity
2. Certificate of good conduct issued by CID
3. Yellow fever cerificate.

I had forgotten about this and only remembered it yesterday when the medicals email came. That's when I replied to it telling them that I have the documents in my possession. If any of you haven't done so, please do so asap, just in case not doing so ends up being an issue.

Mawingu
10th Apr 2014, 15:29
Hi guys,

I emailed the IT department about the hitch I highlighted a while back. I hope they revert, although it would be great to hear if anyone had this problem and how it was solved. Basically when applying on step 3 of 4, the assessment questions do not load up i.e the ones that ask about height, age etc. I've tried logging on and off several times and using different browsers and still get the same thing. A bit annoying I must say :\

BenOnyach
14th Apr 2014, 18:18
Anybody who knows how long we could be waiting before the next assessment by respective flight school as said in the mail.

Dreamer_
15th Apr 2014, 13:34
@BenOnyach I feel you. I can barely make plans beyond the following month. But it will be worth the wait trust me.

Gedion Muteti
22nd Apr 2014, 17:14
Hey everybody, the guys who proceeded to the next stage,could you inform us of your progress? We need to know how its going on there if you proceeded to south africa and so on.

BenOnyach
5th May 2014, 15:41
@Captain GG, Not so sure of the numbers but 100 seems high to me. Don't know how many batches were there but I know in my own we were 25, 14 ab initios and 11 direct entries.... So if there were 4 batches averaging 25@, then the figure 100 could be true. Anyway, patience as was instructed in the mails is inevitable.

Captain GG
5th May 2014, 16:13
Thanks BenOnyach...

nickmory
6th May 2014, 06:17
hi all those waiting for the assessment from " the respective flight schools", hope y'all are keeping the faith. n fyi, i wouldn't advice relaxing....i went on the AIFA website and their intake interviews are brutal( if not numerous) unlike those we did from KQ(career connections).

i have a feeling those are what they are planning on subjecting us to. if that is the case, check out their website International Flight Training Academy ADMISSIONS (http://www.aifa.co.za/index.php?p=32)

Here's to keeping the faith (and the patience). good luck to us all.

Trackdiamond
6th May 2014, 07:10
Am the author of that figure 200 based on a credible rumour which am not willing to disclose.It includes a backlog from previous candidates who sat last year. No need to get worked up.The higher the numbers the more candidates will be admitted for a fixed perceantage. One thing is for sure...patience unlimited..is the way .In 2011 a process that was suposed to take a few weeks took 4 months and after that one year of waiting before classes began.So...put those brakes on...or you might miss all together in your push

nickmory
6th May 2014, 13:20
finally some activity....check your mails guys n girls

Pilot Breezy
7th May 2014, 11:43
International Flight Training Academy OUR AIRCRAFT (http://www.aifa.co.za/index.php?p=10)

under that link.....aifa states that.."AIFA is also awaiting the arrival of 6 brand new Cessna 172 (C172 SP) single engine aircraft towards the end of August 2013" ......It's almost a year now! Have the a/c's arrived or not.

This school looks like another "sausage factories"

ChegeAviator
8th May 2014, 17:38
Hi guys. Please check today's Daily Nation for Kenya Power's maintenance schedule so that you do not get messed up by a black out mid test.

bobcollins
8th May 2014, 21:56
ChegeAviator .. have you done the online test

ChegeAviator
9th May 2014, 05:56
I have only done the examples. I'm most likely starting today.

CaptWhipWhittaker
9th May 2014, 12:11
Okay,guys, for posterity's sake, please fill us in on the latest goings-on in the interviews.

yasin27
10th May 2014, 15:29
hi there,can you please help me out,how do i sign up for ab initio programme? how do i apply for it?

blackemboy
11th May 2014, 07:44
Hi guys,

Even though I have applied for the KQ AB Inition program, I am thinking of paying for flying school. I know the cost comes to around KES 3M. The time investment is about 1 and 1/2 years. I would like to know whether I can continue working while still going to flying school. I know skylink have this arrangement for PPL. I am not sure about the CPL. I would also like to know how long I would need to tarmac and fly for food to get to 800hrs. A year? 2 years? This is just so that I can determine whether I can afford to get a loan and pay it off in a period of 5-7years. I would also like to know how the competition for pilot job is out there, and what kind of salary ranges Pilots in Wilson are looking at.

blackemboy
11th May 2014, 07:50
@yasin17 Just visit the kq website, go to the careers section. Register for an account. Login and search for all open jobs for the last six months. You should see the AB Initio program. Select it and click on the apply button/link. It should take you to the application form. Be careful though, the last part where one is supposed to fill out your height, weight, etc was not working the last time I checked, make sure it is now working before submitting your application. Good luck.

nickmory
22nd May 2014, 11:06
hi guys, let me try to remember the tests we did online.....you cant get the actual ones ( i tried) but any tests you go through will help in preparing for the real ones.

ok, so there were 2 questionnaires - personality,
complex control - flying in a tube with varying obstacles,
numerical - doing simple math from sets of data ( given a statement to check if its true, false or the info given is inadequate),
verbal - simple vocabulary reasoning from sets of data ( given a statement to check if its true, false or the info given is inadequate),
spatial reasoning - a cube with differently marked sides that's blown out and you identify the correct orientation if its put back together,
spatial orientation - get the orientation of a plane using a compass and beacon,
multitasking - land a mock plane while doing simple addition and identifying a repeated letter from a set of 6,
visual - a number of dots bouncing around n you state how many they are,
reactivity - you are given two symbols with some "noise" in between them, they both change randomly and your supposed to click when they match....simple enough....NOT!!!,

cant remember the other 3, will add them when i do.

ChegeAviator
22nd May 2014, 15:37
To add onto what Nickmory has said, the other two are:
-Power of observation: Objects are flashed one by one on the screen for a number of seconds then they stop. A grid with random pictures is then shown for a number of seconds and you are meant to identify any of the objects you saw flashing from those displayed. This round is repeated several times.
-Discovering the rules: A series of shapes/patterns/puzzles are shown and you are meant to pick out the one that doesn't follow the same rule as the rest. The test starts off easy and becomes harder as you go along.

There's one more left and for the life of me I can't remember it. If I do, I'll definitely post it.

Dexman72
22nd May 2014, 19:22
There were 13 tests in this battery of tests, just to highlight them in summary as nickmory and ChegeAviator have already mentioned:
1. Measurement of competencies
2. Measurement of behavioral tendencies
3. Power of observation
4. Spatial reasoning
5. Numerical reasoning
6. Verbal reasoning
7. Visual thinking
8. Perceptual speed
9. Discover rules
10. Complex control
11. Spatial orientation
12. Multitasking capabilities
13. Measurement of reactivity

LOPA
23rd May 2014, 14:16
Guys check your emails:ok:

ChegeAviator
23rd May 2014, 14:57
It's been a long road but we're finally at the home stretch. All the best future aviators!

Dexman72
23rd May 2014, 17:51
Panel interview...I really hope and pray this is the final assessment then we go for training.

hopeful90
29th May 2014, 19:16
Hello everyone!
chegeaviator, I have been following your posts very closely and I must say I am not only impressed but wish you the very best, kindly continue keeping the rest of us posted on your progress am so nervous and I have not even started the processes yet. I have a question to anyone who can assist is it possible to prepare for these tests? I really want to make it. Thank you guys for your contribution.

ChegeAviator
30th May 2014, 07:11
Thank you for your kind words. I too was very nervous before each test, but I can tell you that you need to find a way of calming yourself before each test or you might end up making mistakes.

For the first day at KQ HQ, please make sure that all your documents are in order otherwise they will definitely send you home. You have to carry originals for all the documents asked and in the case of a lost ID, a police abstract and a waiting card will do. Passports will not be allowed! You must also have your original University degree, not a signed letter of completion from your department. I saw two guys I was with in JKUAT get turned away with their completion letters signed by the Dean himself. I honestly think that this is unfair, but that's just how KQ operates.

As for the test at DEFTEC, practise on factorising equations, solving quadratics, solving time, distance, speed and relative speed questions, form 1 and 2 Chemistry (they however use outdated chemical terms in most of the questions) I only answered one Chemistry question; form one and two physics, basic mechanical reasoning such as pulleys, gears, levers and loads. If you have Flight Simulator it will help with your speed when solving the aircraft instrument section. It's not necessary that you be familiar with it because they will exhaustively explain how to tackle the section, but if you already know what it's about, you may move quicker.

For Pyschometric and Psychomotor tests, both conducted by Career Connections, you need to be completely rested and I found that avoiding caffeine was the trick to keeping a clear mind in both tests. The email inviting you for the psychometric test tells you there's no need to study for it and it's true that there's no need to study for it. The test used, called The Morrisby Profile, is too wide to be studied for and is designed so that anyone can do it. It's more of a stress test to evaluate how quickly and accurately you can work through the sections under very minimal time. You can google Morrisby Profile and the first find should take you to the test website where you'll find a sample test to familiarise yourself with how the questions and sections are laid out. A rested and clear mind is needed here, I can't stress this enough! You'll come out of the exam room feeling like your brain is dead.

For psychomotor, you also need to be well rested and have cleared your mind. Please avoid caffeine. I found taking glucose was a great help before going in. Among the tests, there are 2 tests that require you to use a very sensitive joystick. The first one is a Flight Director where you're meant to centre crosshairs. Here, continuous and precise motion of the joystick is needed. This test basically depends on how quickly you realise where the crosshairs are heading and what you should do to centralise them. The second is a trax challenge where you fly a plane through hoops. I found that the trick here is to anticipate where the next hoop will be in relation to your plane and nudge the joystick ever so slightly to move the plane into the hoop. Continuous joystick motion might mess you up here. This method gave me 9/10, 10/10 and 10/10. For these two, familiarity with a joystick will be an added advantage. I'd advise you to get Flight Simulator and fly the missions that require you to fly through hoops and ILS approaches. Set your joystick settings to the highest sensitivity.
A friend of mine told me that one can go to the Career Connections offices in Westlands and pay to sit for similar psychometric and psychomotor tests for around Ksh15,000 each. I don't know how true this is but if you feel inclined to go there, feel free.

Next was the medicals. Basically make sure that you're in good health and are completely drug free beforehand. I had a bad cold on the day and I passed, so it looks like they're forgiving on common treatable illnesses.

Then followed by the online tests that are previously described then hopefully the oral interview.

I hope this information is of some help.

ChegeAviator
30th May 2014, 08:48
Hi guys. Please check mail, the invites are in.

LOPA
30th May 2014, 09:12
:ok: Last hurdle, almost approaching rotation speed for takeoff

BenOnyach
30th May 2014, 11:47
@ChegeAviator and @Lopa, the wait has been long, let's pray all goes well come Tuesday. Congratulations future aviators. To those starting the process, my experience is that one must have extreme patience and a streak of humility with ability to follow instructions diligently. What is being sought out in a candidate is trainability.

hopeful90
1st Jun 2014, 06:17
chegeaviator,benonyach,lopa,
You are on your home stretch and am dead jealous. Thank you for documenting everything you have been through it will go a long way in helping the rest of us who are aspiring to be where your going to be. God bless and I will start popping bottles on your account, chegeaviator that is a big help, thanks you are fantastic.:D

31murimi
12th Jun 2014, 13:55
How do you apply for the pilot scholarship program in south africa?

gear up job
13th Jun 2014, 01:13
How about you first read the thread then ask or ever heard of K.A career website.......:ugh:

ChegeAviator
13th Jun 2014, 06:29
The first thing you need to understand is that it's not a scholarship, it's an avenue to help you secure a loan and a slot in a flight school where you shall study and attain the relevant ratings for you to secure a piloting job in KQ. The loan HAS to be repaid to Co-op Bank once you start working.

As for the application, please visit the Kenya Airways website careers portal, go to new jobs and click on the ab initio link which will take you to the application process. It's pretty straight forward. Please also take some time to read through the previous pages in this conversation (start from around 110), you'll find that most of your questions have already been answered.

hopeful90
17th Jun 2014, 13:12
chegeaviator,lopa,benonyach
Hello again!
I understand you went for the final oral interview, how was it? and am just wondering when do you think they will call the people who will be shortlisted for the 2015 group, is it from February or do they call people all year round because when you read the thread you see others are called in January, others even in march what is the criteria or procedure? and when do you leave for South Africa?

Mawingu
17th Jun 2014, 13:49
Hi chaps.

For those who are currently applying for the next intake, have you had any problem(s) in section 3 of the checklist that requires you to fill questions on your age, height etc? I have tried to apply several times and each time, these questions simply do not load up. I have tried using different browsers and even emailed KQ HR (who say the matter is now sorted) but clearly not. Any clues will be appreciated. I don't know whether it's a bug or something from their end.

LOPA
18th Jun 2014, 05:31
@hopeful90, the oral was basically a get-to-know-you thing and testing your multitasking ability by having you respond to their questions (including a simple mathematical question- mostly of the speed/time/distance kind) while filling a one page form with your details. Feedback was/is expected this week (2 weeks after the interview), and the approximate start date for training is mid August for those who will be successful

hopeful90
18th Jun 2014, 11:45
@Mawingu
Hey! honestly glad to see someone who is also applying for the next intake (2015), i applied in April and the question section your referring to was working fine, i assume you mean the one that says application assessment? Maybe your computer is blocking some of cookies required for you to access this page efficiently, i suggest you go to a cyber cafe and try, if at all you are applying from home.

blackemboy
19th Jun 2014, 09:06
Hey @hopefull90,
I was having the same issues when I tried to apply previously. I did submit the application, but I have been able to go back and do the application assessment questions and submit them as well. I used safari 7 with no plugins that block anything, on a fast internet connection. Try to retake the assessment which will be an option available if you had not done that part of the application. All the best.

hopeful90
22nd Jun 2014, 13:04
@blackemboy
Thanks for your wishes, your also applying?..cool, i guess we will talk more about this process early next year, and hopefully we will totally make it.:)

hopeful90
22nd Jun 2014, 13:11
@blackemboy
Thanks for the wishes i wish you the same, hopefully we are the next ab initio guys going to s.a.

blackemboy
23rd Jun 2014, 08:29
@hopeful90
Yes I am applying. I am keeping my fingers crossed, hoping i can make the cut. We will definitely talk more as and if we go through the interview.

Mawingu
26th Jun 2014, 14:14
What browser did you use? I have tried several browsers at different locations and the assessment questions still did not load up. I almost thought it's a bug or something.

maithya
1st Jul 2014, 13:14
I have been trying to apply for this position for some time .After registration with PPRuNe whats the next step or are you done.?

dzaque
1st Jul 2014, 19:20
@Maithiya
Just go through the posts there is a whole load of information to help you through the process.

LOPA
2nd Jul 2014, 07:14
Congrats AIFA guys for completing your course, @Mister too, @Magnate, et al, twas just the other day you guys were hopefuls sharing ideas here on pprune, now chuck outta there, come check out here so we can check in there :D

Magnate
2nd Jul 2014, 08:44
Thanks man. It has been a great experience.

Ace KJay
2nd Jul 2014, 16:43
AIFA fellas congrats :D for completing of your course..hoping we are next

ChegeAviator
3rd Jul 2014, 04:32
Congratulations to all those who are coming back from South Africa. We will hopefully be leaving for training in August or October according to an email KQ sent.

Magnate
3rd Jul 2014, 06:06
Thanks guys. The training is really something to look forward to. Its like being on holiday doing what you love.
Psyche yourself up :)
All the best to the guys and lady (i think) coming down south in August

don_quixote
3rd Jul 2014, 09:01
Thanks for the encouraging words magnate. It really helps us to keep on pushing :-)

indimuli
10th Jul 2014, 16:58
where and how do i go about with the scholarship admission?

hopeful90
15th Jul 2014, 11:11
I hope you succeeded when i was applying i just used mozilla,

ChegeAviator
16th Jul 2014, 08:26
Hi guys. Please check your emails asap! It seems that we've all made it through. Congratulations future aviators :D !

nickmory
16th Jul 2014, 08:55
and after the long wait....a light is seen! congratulations to all who've made it through.

Dreamer_
16th Jul 2014, 11:44
Congrats guys, am very happy for you.
I fell at the last hurdle, but life has to go on.
Do us proud!

The dreamer
16th Jul 2014, 16:33
I'm new here but have been applying for the AB-Initio programme for a few years now. I was called for the January interviews this year but when I got there, I couldn't go through with them as an emergency came up. Is there anyone in this forum from the January group who went through? I'd like to know what stage guys have reached. My application is still active so I hope to be called in for the next round.
This is a very informative forum and I've learnt a lot from reading most of the previous threads. Thanks guys :ok:

LOPA
17th Jul 2014, 15:43
@TheDreamer, apply again, don't count on previous applications.

2014 group, tommorrow we'll be multi-millionaires :ok: haha

hopeful90
22nd Jul 2014, 05:27
i cant wait for my turn to try this thing!!!
:ok:

psera
24th Jul 2014, 14:29
Hey guys, do you think KQ will have 2015 Ab Initio intake?
Do you think if one has a ppl it will help with the intake?

The dreamer
25th Jul 2014, 05:10
@LOPA, I don't think you can apply again if your application online is still active. The website does not allow that. I'll just have to be a sitting duck now. :(

Lemayian Emmanuel
25th Jul 2014, 13:40
Guys does a PPL really have any effect on your chances of being selected? That is if it's a good record one, I mean achieved in good time, incident free from a reputable school.
Thank you.

FLY5BARAKA
20th Aug 2014, 14:45
i have tried to apply for the course and i just cant find the application forms. could someone help me out with a link please :O

pilot mzinyoh
22nd Aug 2014, 15:21
Please i need assistance.my dream is to become a pilot yet am not done with high school.can someone please tel me the minimum grade to for one to apply to be a pilot

gear up job
23rd Aug 2014, 22:38
http://irecruitment.kenya-airways.com:8000/OA_HTML/OA.jsp?akRegionCode=IRC_VIS_VAC_DISPLAY_PAGE&akRegionApplicationId=800&OASF=IRC_VIS_VAC_DISPLAY&OAHP=IRC_EXT_SITE_VISITOR_APPL&transactionid=794375443&retainAM=N&addBreadCrumb=RP&p_svid=22830&p_spid=1044690&oapc=5&oas=ECa0e_bUI0YGWIY0GF4dsA..

msosi
5th Sep 2014, 11:54
Hi avigeeks, when is the next intake likely to start?
thanks

hopeful90
6th Sep 2014, 08:23
@msosi am thinking late January early February.

msosi
8th Sep 2014, 09:32
@hopeful90 thanks... we will talk more when the process begins

fabmarquos
9th Sep 2014, 18:35
Hey.Im fiishing my high school this year and was wondering is it that hard to be accepted?
and must i first get a degree or i can apply after high school

captaincharles
10th Sep 2014, 04:31
they upgraded the minimum requirements to a degree alongside the minimum grades requirement in English, physics and maths.

fabmarquos
10th Sep 2014, 06:11
seems like ill have to wait longer then

edwin88
12th Sep 2014, 08:27
hey guys, cool to be back on this forum after a long time. Did then 2014 group that made it leave for South Africa?

nickmory
13th Sep 2014, 09:50
@edwin, we haven't left yet...we were supposed to leave last month but the new SA visa rules delayed us. but our visas are out now, we're waiting on a new commencement date.
will update you

captaincharles
17th Sep 2014, 06:52
@nickmorry how many of you made it?

nickmory
17th Sep 2014, 07:25
there are 22 of us, there's only one lady in the group though.

captaincharles
17th Sep 2014, 08:12
i suppose you will be divided into two groups..one to AIFA and the other to 43 air school. ama mliambiwa aje.

gear up job
17th Sep 2014, 09:06
22!!! wow that's a BIG number. Shame only 1 woman yet K.A has some women pilots who are breaking grounds.

I can't think of any other airline except the ME Heavies having such a huge number of cadets training and investment! I reckon only the banks must be happy with such a number.

Having said that 22 + 14 DEC = 36 jet pilots to be. It's a massive recruitment drive for K.A. Do they expect some of you to drop out as such recruit more or its purely driven by demand.

Do you guys happen to know how many will be coming out from training soon?

nickmory
17th Sep 2014, 10:31
we already have our groups and schools. they said they aren't taking people to 43 at the moment so we are going to AIFA and progress.
I am not sure about their plans in terms of recruitment of large numbers, but during the interviews they were telling us that regardless of the number, all who are successful with the process will be taken. so I tend to think that even 30 or above would have gone through if they all passed.
either way, KQ gets their pilots and the bank makes a nice sum out of it.

gear up job
17th Sep 2014, 10:45
Coolio. Wish you all 22 the best and enjoy every moment of it.

Like what the old aviation saying goes "you are in general aviation for a good time and not a long time" Make the best out of everything and take lots and lots of photos.

geokar
18th Sep 2014, 10:41
Do you guys "graduate" with a CPL with 200hrs or 250hrs. Because from the quote i get its totallying to 200hrs and I know KQ's requirement is 250hrs. :confused: Also how is the cost of living down there in SA. Thanks.

cleared2fl340
20th Sep 2014, 13:42
Unless you are a pretty good natural, at flying, and your school(instructors) are honest, you might finish with about 220 hours by the time you finish your CPL ME-IR.
Fly the rest as PIC, or do your flight instructor rating - excellent for you.

Life in SA is expensive. If you board, you'll pay through your nose but your quality of life may not be commensurate with what you are paying. On the other hand, if you stay outside, you'd better be very disciplined with time and money.

(Sorry, next comes unsolicited but important)
There are schools that delay your training i.e. you fly when THEY want, do exams when THEY want. This is not to your benefit.
Then there are schools where you decide when to fly provided that there's a plane and you have money to fly. You decide when you are ready for exams, book by yourself and go do them. If you flank, you try again next week etc (ideally, this would be in Jo'burg where the SACAA is)
It is not inconceivable to finish the entire course in 11 months - DO NOT PUSH this though - weather may not favor you and you don't want to die as a student pilot.

geokar
22nd Sep 2014, 11:11
Thanks cleared2fl340 for the Info. Very enlightening.

KyaloRM
3rd Oct 2014, 16:41
Hi guys. I'm new and glad to be on this forum.got a few questions.....
Looking to apply for the 2015 intake....question is after close of applications how long does KQ take to call applicants for first interview?
2. if one is successful, going by history, what is the average period between the first interview and date of commencement of training?
3. I'm 5'4.5"......do I still make the cut? 😯
4. Is employment guaranteed to all those who graduate from training?

KyaloRM
4th Oct 2014, 09:26
Oh and im left handed too....any bias towards or against left hand dominant applicants??

avionicstar
8th Oct 2014, 06:34
Congratulations to the 2014 guys...all the best in SA!

kimswycliff
23rd Oct 2014, 13:24
dont worry am too waiting for the same chance,remember patience pays

kimswycliff
23rd Oct 2014, 13:39
am awaiting to go through this thing with anxiety hoping it will make my dreams true come 2016 ag:ugh:

CaptWhipWhittaker
27th Oct 2014, 13:28
is it true that the ab initio programme has been suspended indefinitely ?

msosi
27th Oct 2014, 17:07
@Captwhipwhittaker where have you gotten the information from?

hopeful90
28th Oct 2014, 09:55
Hello everybody, am also curious CaptWhip, where did you get that information from. Please update.

gear up job
28th Oct 2014, 12:00
To be honest i wouldn't be surprised if they have together with the Direct Entry Program. I don't think the company is making enough money. It has a bunch of new fleets and more to come which need to be repaid back plus it's started to face stiff competition from Flydubai which entered the East Africa market. Not to forget the west Africa issue which appears to be a no go zone for a while now.

CaptWhipWhittaker
29th Oct 2014, 06:22
I didn't mean to cause any upheaval. it's just based on an observation of KQ's state of affairs. it just looks like it's in a rut right now

Ghost_Rider737
29th Oct 2014, 09:56
CaptWhipWhittaker

You watching too many movies ! :} or perhaps you may be high on the white powder. LOL

CaptWhipWhittaker
29th Oct 2014, 10:57
haha. nice bruh.
Seriously though, I got info that KQ has a seriously big overdraft that it's using to pay employees. The 777s have been grounded as they are unprofitable to run under their lease terms; coupled with the fact that there's strong competition in the EA market.
Also, there's the small matter of the FAA's intervention with KAA to require airline pilots to have the standard mimimum requirements of 1500 hrs to fly an airliner.(which ab initios, obviously don't have initially) (which further fuels tensions between Direct Entrys and ab initios).
Btw , these were words from a 777 captain I talked to.
Again, I stress that I mean no ill. It's just prudent that pprunners know this, right?

hopeful90
29th Oct 2014, 14:12
has anyone else heard this!?What about the guys who left for s.a what do they think, nickmory?

Trez
31st Oct 2014, 07:31
Hi guys. To those who chased the S.A Embassy for a study visa, how long did the embassy take to issue the visas?
I was told 8 weeks and I know for sure a friend got his in 3 weeks but he was going for business studies.
I am not sure if applicants going for aviation related studies take longer to be issued a visa.
Some insight would be highly appreciated.

CAPTAIN SICRI
4th Nov 2014, 13:18
Hey guys,does the 24month period still apply for ab initio? I was in the 2013 group and my 24 months is supposed to expire in february next year. Thanks in advance

Ssemu
10th Nov 2014, 06:02
hey everyone. once again congratulations to the latest ab initio batch. i decided to self sponsor myself for the course. i applied to progress and wanted to know if anyone else from the ab initio was also going there as well; and how far along the process they have reached.
thanks.

Stevenice
13th Nov 2014, 06:18
i have done all my flight training here in the US. I have a cpl with instrument rating 265tt. Do you think I could get a job with KQ? I'm a Kenya citizen but live here in the U.S.
Also how long does it take after January to knew if you got the job? Please help

cesna6969
14th Nov 2014, 08:51
hello guys

is there anyone who has applied for the for the 2014 recruitment?

it would be nice to have a few buddies

KyaloRM
15th Nov 2014, 09:55
Hoping to apply as soon as I get hold of that degree.....deadline is end Dec right?

cesna6969
15th Nov 2014, 17:41
I am currently in my final year and I finish my course work in april 2015 and graduate in dec 2015.

Is KQ rigid to refuse my application based on that?(though by the time they will begin the recruitment process ill be done with scholl just waiting to graduate)

I will appreciate your opinions or someone with concrete info regarding this

CaptWhipWhittaker
16th Nov 2014, 06:48
12billion in losses. KQ is suffering from chronic mismanagement a la Mumias sugar company.
I hope thing can be turned around

IanDavisIzMe
23rd Nov 2014, 23:58
@cesna6969 where and when did you apply from?? coz i mustve checked their website 101 times and i still cant find the damn application form.

JQuiz
24th Nov 2014, 05:58
Check page 158 you see recruitment link

IanDavisIzMe
1st Dec 2014, 12:11
thanks alot bruh, saved me a lot of hassle

cesna6969
8th Dec 2014, 09:10
i am glad you've been assisted

i wish you the very best...i hope you were super keen while filling out the application

richardlitu
12th Dec 2014, 09:02
Hi guys,when are the aptitudes likely to be done?

CaptWhipWhittaker
14th Dec 2014, 17:19
Anyone else having trouble on the recruitment portal?
Activity 3 , which requires a form to be filled out is not responsive
Also now the whole recruitment portal brings up a JavaScript sql error message
how did you guys solve this?

bigdreamer
17th Dec 2014, 07:56
HI, guys this is my first post here, i'm hoping to apply for the program soon, i believe i have all the right credentials. Good luck to all first timers and big dreamers out there.:ok:

maverick3
17th Dec 2014, 12:27
Good evening comrades.

I need bit of your help and experience.

I applied for the programme last year, but did not do the last bit of the test. I believe that's the reason i was overlooked, in this years call up.

However, I realised that this year and completed the test.Even got the test automatic generated email.

My question is, should I send in another application in its entirety, or leave the current one (last years application) which still reads active

SlatsINOP
27th Dec 2014, 08:06
I was talking to credible source a few days back.They are considering pausing the Ab Initio programme for a few years as the pilot numbers have now reached the requirement and has even surpassed what they need for the next 2 to 3 years.

So the last group of 20 might be the last group that left for South Africa recently will be the last group. Not to dampen hopes but maybe KQ may not be the place to put all your eggs for now.

254HEAVY
29th Dec 2014, 07:39
I had the same conversation yesterday over lunch with one of the skippers!

Having say that things may change sooner especially if they start flying new profitable routes. Bare in mind new fleets will still arrive as per committed orders.

Spartan14
6th Jan 2015, 12:15
Hi guys, I'm a newbie too and would like to hear from the experienced guys on this platform. How long does it take for one to be called after the dec31 deadline expires?I applied and I have found this forum priceless in terms of resourcefulness.

jordan.ne
8th Jan 2015, 10:25
Hi buddies, I applied for the AB Initio Pilot Training last year before31 Dec. Is there any shortlist out yet? kind regards

zennah
8th Jan 2015, 12:48
Hi guys..for those who applied for the 2014 recruitment, I am hoping to make new friends. I have followed this thread and I am glad to see how guys have supported each other.:)

odericko2000
8th Jan 2015, 23:08
Guyz do you read before posting? The AB initio programme has been closed for now. The Airline is in the doldrums! :sad:

Stay positive though, hopefully things will improve sooner rather than later.

Darthveda
16th Jan 2015, 17:49
Ab initio has been postponed to July. Shortlisting in July 2015 not Jan 2015.
It's official on kq website recruitment page.

blackemboy
18th Jan 2015, 14:47
Hi guys,

Am I the only person who is glad this was moved to July. I am struggling with my weight, and I am not really sure about medical fitness. I will hopefully be cut back down to normal size. Anyway lets keep our fingers crossed and we will get there, July is only six months from now.

254HEAVY
19th Jan 2015, 08:26
Most important is the wording they used.......

"Potentially the next processing of the pilot applications will commence in July 2015."

Definition of the word "potentially" ......'possible, as opposed to actual'

May or maynot happen. Am just saying. All the best to those who applied.

Vanity1412
20th Jan 2015, 07:36
is it certain that the shortlisting for 2015 will be done in july??I submitted my application in aug and was worried. its been 5 months now

gear up job
21st Jan 2015, 07:34
You in for a long wait!

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Jan 2015, 10:25
"Potentially the next processing of the pilot applications will commence in July 2015."

Definition of the word "potentially" ......'possible, as opposed to actual'

is it certain that the shortlisting for 2015 will be done in july?

You're not going to cope well with the technical manuals.

murder_to_excellence
21st Jan 2015, 10:51
@ Solid Rust Twotter (http://www.pprune.org/members/78409-solid-rust-twotter)
Where exactly was that July 2015 notification posted ? Was it a notification in your recruitment portal account ? i need to know cause i cant see nothing in my account....

254HEAVY
22nd Jan 2015, 08:32
ha ha ha well said mate. Wish pprune had a like button.

murder_to_excellence

It's all over their website under careers. How can you have missed it?

murder_to_excellence
22nd Jan 2015, 17:37
254HEAVY
Just seen.. Hah.. how did i miss that

and funny thing, i seem to have missed the part in my application where i fill details of my age & height

apparently it was in some questionnaire.. encountered that ?

knsiele
27th Jan 2015, 08:06
Hallo Zennah! Yes, I did apply too. It's great making friends in this precious portal. Kindly, update us if and when you get a response.

bennkithi
28th Jan 2015, 14:22
hi, i cant see the questionnaire where one fills in the details of age and height,, any assistance please??? I applied last year.

GMASAI
28th Jan 2015, 15:01
Hi,

Where exactly does someone key in the height, age and mean grades?

GMASAI
28th Jan 2015, 15:03
Murder to excellence,

I have encountered that too.

Anyone who can help us out?

zennah
29th Jan 2015, 05:12
The application assessment at the end of the application contained details about one's age, height and grades where you answer true or false. However, i think for the grades in Mathematics, English and Physics one can include them under education additional qualifications in your account.

murder_to_excellence
29th Jan 2015, 17:36
zennah thanks.. i have seen what your are talking about.... though i im not sure as to whether retaking the assessment would tamper with my application status. would it be as detrimental as to withdrawing your application ?

zennah
30th Jan 2015, 05:46
murder_to_excellence
I don't know for sure if retaking the assessment will tamper with your application status. Maybe someone who has done that before can answer that.
Did you get any system generated e-mail saying that you have successfully submitted the test?
There are two e-mails sent back on submitting the application. One is to acknowledge receipt of your job application and the other is for submitting the application assessment.

bennkithi
30th Jan 2015, 14:36
retaking the application assessment does not tamper with the application status..
thanks for the assistance zennah

GMASAI
2nd Feb 2015, 09:46
Thanks guys. Really appreciate.

Trackdiamond
2nd Feb 2015, 14:01
What happenned to the DEC thread? I remember one was started around 2009 and got wiped.Then came version two...and that disappeared too.This ab-initio thread is helpful in general but more relevant to ab-initio applicants.

Has there been a thread merger.

I pointed months back to KA's plight but some wiseguys in here thought it as laughing stock...KA is an airline..it is fallible.Their recruitment scheme might have to be revamped now that bean counters have the upperhand amidst all this financial turbulence and operational obesity KA is having to wrestle with.Trimming down airline fat takes time..and its no short term. For those interested in a flying career...better scan the horizons farther ...fly in whatever comes along.Nohing is more useless than an expired license or withered skills.Find a way to keep current and proficient. Hopefully KA will see more value in experienced DEC candidates such as ATPL holders as a quicker rturn on its investment and take a more deliberate approach in its recruitment scheme to consider their worth...as KA has frequently for one reason or another discarded these candidatesn who in turn found themselves in even greener pastures.

Trackdiamond
2nd Feb 2015, 14:21
How ae you old boy! What did you make of the "Cutter Ayways" recruitment fair at the intercon?Did the KQ boys lap it up? Let's hope it creates some migration to pave way for those who have been waiting. It might be a boon for the 777 retirees! KALPA has been quiet these days any pprune tweets abouts their bargaining powers?They have been recently contacting ex applicants.

odericko2000
2nd Feb 2015, 17:27
@ Trackdiamond

Im good ol' mate, i hope you are a'ok yourself.

Personally i felt the fair was not too bad, though the presenters were abit evasive on questions with regards to lifestyle in Doha, and why their package was significantly lower than their gulf counterparts. Overall it didn't elicit much excitement amongst the KQ jockeys. If there are to be any takers of the "Cutter Ayways" offer, my guess would be on the 737 left seat drivers. The non type rated DEC 787 seemed to be the best offer in the house. Maybe a few E jet guyz might consider the A320 DEC. Beyond that i cant see other guyz moving.

Most Experienced 777 skippers are very close to retirement, and feel relocation at this time of their careers isn't worth the hustle. The relatively newer T7 skippers do not have the requisite 1,000 hours on type to be considered for type rated DEC's, and as far as i know the 3 year bonding period is a deal breaker for them. 787 drivers both right and left seat, seem to be happy with their new jet, and the fact that they have one of the most sought after rating in the industry, if they should have to move jobs.
That leaves the E jet and the 737, most of the right seat guyz on these two fleets barely meet the QR requirements, and the left seat guyz are only keen to move onto the left.

There might be a few takers but mainly from the narrow body, i doubt any widebody drivers are willing to risk the jump.

Cheers

254HEAVY
3rd Feb 2015, 08:45
"Cutter Ayways" guys are struggling big time to fill in left and right positions. Doha is a hard place plus the worklife balance is not all that candy pop! They hold their recruitment fairs almost every week in different countries and it's always a hard sell. The airline which can't be mention in UAE has a far better contract than all the rest of UAE carriers.

@ Trackdiamond

I tried to look for the DEC thread the other day but i think it got pulled out after being inactive for a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time! Man when i first read it i could't believe it how once guys earn their RHS on K.A they are quick to forget those who they asked questions and advice. Such a pity. I like the AB Initio thread. These guys are very helpful to each other and share quite alot of info. Wish all of them the best.

gear up job
6th Feb 2015, 07:26
K.A DEC thread was shell. I don't think anyone will miss it.

flywithmeDevani
7th Feb 2015, 09:57
who else has applied for the 2015 intake?? ... have patience and hope guyz

flywithmeDevani
9th Feb 2015, 06:36
Qatar Airways Pilot Training - Cadet Programme | CTC Wings (http://www.ctcwings.com/qatarwings)

cleared2fl340
15th Feb 2015, 05:35
@futurekenyanpilot (http://www.pprune.org/members/151006-futurekenyanpilot) Have you been called for a psychometric test ?
If yes, when did you do your aptitudes ?

All DEP tests up to the medical stage are similar to those of ab initio.
In fact, sometimes you sit in the same session.

cleared2fl340
15th Feb 2015, 05:40
Does anyone know if there's a group of cadets returning from SA between now and June ?
Or when the next jet orientation training will take place for the next batch of cadets ?

Female Capi
23rd Feb 2015, 07:17
Hi all am new to this platform and have read alot of insightful details in regard to the abinitio by KQ, thanks for all the infor.

I had applied last year and my application is still open but not sure i'll wait since recruitment has been pushed to July (will train in wilson meanwhile).

Anyone heard of KQ taking students who are in training (locally) for apprenticeship?

leibe97
6th Mar 2015, 12:28
Hey just poping 4 a little bit assistance....How do one apply for the programme for the 2015 intake.. please need Your assistance...It wll be great if you help

254HEAVY
7th Mar 2015, 20:03
seriously? is that a question to ask? :ugh::ugh::ugh:

kirungi1
7th Mar 2015, 20:59
leibe97

Would you follow the like below, and you should be straight to the answer you are seeking.You should find the Ab Initio Pilot Trainee vacancy at the top of the list. Good luck because you will need it!

http://irecruitment.kenya-airways.com:8000/OA_HTML/OA.jsp?_rc=IRC_VIS_JOB_SEARCH_PAGE&_ri=800&SeededSearchFlag=N&Contractor=Y&Employee=Y&OASF=IRC_VIS_JOB_SEARCH_PAGE&_ti=307106540&retainAM=Y&addBreadCrumb=N&oapc=5&oas=2998VM4ZeNbZHdl-GEEN6Q..

254HEAVY
7th Mar 2015, 21:45
Any reasons why the carrier has stopped direct flights to CAN? I thought NBO-CAN was one of their profitable routes with very good payload.

I saw they now have 3 weekly Nairobi – Hanoi – Guangzhou yet K.A does not have local traffic rights on Hanoi – Guangzhou sector. Am i missing something here?

IanDavisIzMe
11th Mar 2015, 05:25
i have always wanted to be an airline pilot, and more to the point, a KQ one but i recently found tht the funds needed are out of my reach. i was thinking about joining the airforce thinking it will help me somehow. thus my question, is it well thought of to join the airforce and will the hours i get there count?

skytango1
12th Mar 2015, 05:47
Ian,,

VERY GOOD QUESTION MATE,,!!

To answer you..Please visit the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority(KCAA) website.

You will find valuable info..about ex Military Aviators..Pilots,Engineers,ATC..

KCAA will honour some if not all your Flight time achieved whilst in the Armed forces(Kenya Army, Airforce..)

Yap its dammnn expe..to train as a pilot nowadays..

All the best...

254HEAVY
12th Mar 2015, 07:40
If you can join KAF then your mind should be at peace when it comes to joining K.A after your service @ KAF as long as you come out with a clean record and good recommendation from your superiors.

Most of K.A senior skippers and old guards joined the carrier via KAF route. Capt J.O.N is a good example.

All the best mate!

KenAviator
12th Mar 2015, 10:38
If you are joining KAF with an intention of having a place in KA, then you will be making a mistake. KAF has establish their own training school in Laikipia. Last year they bought 6 new G120TP specifically for training their cadets. So the cadets will be awarded with a flying certificate by the KCAA. No PPL, CPL or any rating. The intention is to have them in KAF for the rest of their flying careers and not gaining licenses and hours then shifting to KA. Besides, for those in KAF who have CPL, leaving is not an option. I have a friend who joined KAF in 2006, he has been trying to leave KAF to join KA since 2013. Resigning from KAF is only through death or retirement. This is because KAF has very few pilots with CPL so they protect the ones remaining in any way they can. They spent alot of money for their training and with the low military budget, they want to reduce spending on training of cadets as much as possible.To avoid resignation of pilots with CPL, they decided to have their own flying school.
So make a wise decision.

dzaque
12th Mar 2015, 16:25
It's one viable but very uncertain route. The following points should be clear:
1. If you are successful to join as a cadet, 3 yrs of basic military training awaits you at the Defence Forces Academy in Nakuru Lanet.
2. Joining as a cadet is quite competetive and the Air Force is even harder as it takes even fewer individuals to join.
3. After the 3 yrs of Basic Military Training, a number of the officers are selected to join flying training school for their flying training. Completion isn't assured .
4. If you successfully graduate from the flying training, you are tracked on the three 'types' that every Air Force flies; fighters, transport planes and helicopters. If you fly choppers, your chances of joining KA diminishes quite substantially.
It's a long process and if you are joining with the sole aim of gaining the experience inorder to look for a job, you may reconsider.

gear up job
24th Mar 2015, 08:40
On the other hand JJ appears to be doing very well. They have now leased a Dash 8 Q400 from DAC to fly Ukunda and Lamu routes with the intend to free some of the 733's to start flying EA routes!

My only question is were will JJ get Dash 8 pilots? Unless it will be the same crew from DAC however my understanding is all JJ pilots come from the parent company a.ka KQ. Am i missing something?

don_quixote
25th Mar 2015, 09:09
cleared2fl340
At the moment there's a group that's about to finish their initial training at AIFA, they should be back in a month or so.
As for jet orientation, it might be a while before they take more cadets for training.

254HEAVY
26th Mar 2015, 07:00
so before jet orientation what are the cadets meant to do? Surely they can't just be sitting around doing nothing yet they are future employee.

don_quixote
26th Mar 2015, 08:42
Before jet orientation there's a bunch of induction classes that KQ conducts at pride center.
Plus, they also have to give you time to do your conversion exams and flight test. Ideally, you should have at least applied for your Kenyan license before going for jet orientation.

edwin88
26th Mar 2015, 15:47
@flywithmedevani.
i would totally discourage you from trying out that qatar cadet program.
i followed a thread on pprune that has viable information about it and i got some insights. the employer seems so ruthless and securing a loan from those international banks being a Kenyan seems something next to impossible.:hmm:

254HEAVY
27th Mar 2015, 08:13
Cheers for the info. Having said that conversion to K.E licence shouldn't take more than a month. I hear of up to 6 months time frame before Jet orientation. Are they still sending wannabes to Comair for the jet orientation?

don_quixote
27th Mar 2015, 08:38
Conversion exams might take more than a month due to KCAA exam dates. KQ give you two months to do the exams to also allow for resits if need be. I'm not aware of groups that have been on ground for 6 months waiting for jet orientation, maybe under abnormal circumstances.
The jet orientation is still done at COMAIR.

254HEAVY
28th Mar 2015, 07:50
I thought so. What i have never understood is why don't the cadets do Jet orientation while in SA after completing their initial flight training rather than going to Kenya then back to SA. Saves alot time and money.

don_quixote
28th Mar 2015, 08:30
Probably because they don't want you to be on the ground for too long after jet orientation doing your conversion exams.

254pilotwannabe
6th Jun 2015, 03:26
Hi everyone, I am new to this thread and the topics in here are very insightful. I am a college student studying abroad, and working painstakingly to pay for my flight training. I have the intentions of going back home after my graduation next year;hopefully, come may next year I will have amassed enough money to get through to CPL. I am seeking any tips to converting my foreign licenses to KCAA licenses. How`s the pilot recruiting industry in Kenya at the moment? (Both charters and major carriers). With what ease or challenges will I face when it comes to looking for a flying job as a new CPL in my home country?
Your comments are highly appreciated

5Z4
16th Jun 2015, 14:32
Better to read the whole thread first (yes i know it's big)
If you want to train/work in Kenya, you're supposed to be a Kenyan Citizen of Resident.:ok:

maverick3
26th Jun 2015, 17:32
I stumbled upon this today at the ab initio link.... hopefully it will assist in making your schedules

"Potentially the next processing of the pilot
applications will commence in February 2016."

254HEAVY
27th Jun 2015, 05:44
Yup same goes with DEC! Infact Feb 2016 still doesn't look promising unless the carrier makes Billions of profits in the next 6 month!

gear up job
6th Jul 2015, 09:53
Nope! No chance. Sorry guys but this will be a long one! Saw K.A ferry EMB170 to Brasil last week!

murder_to_excellence
7th Jul 2015, 21:41
Have the applications been processed? Those that were to be processed this July ? Was anyone called ?????????!! Anybody ??!

maithya
8th Jul 2015, 15:10
hello guys,I jst finished my ab initiopilot application.I was wondering how long it will take before kenya airways contacts us. Also i just finished my degree but i am yet to graduate and i was wondering if one can go through the process before graduating.Anyone who has gone through the program please help.

sheilanjeri
9th Jul 2015, 10:49
What exactly do you mean when you say you have just finished applying for ab initio? I thought the application have been closed for quite some time now?

stanz martins
9th Jul 2015, 18:30
hello guys,I jst finished my ab initiopilot application.I was wondering how long it will take before kenya airways contacts us. Also i just finished my degree but i am yet to graduate and i was wondering if one can go through the process before graduating.Anyone who has gone through the program please help.

i have been trying to apply for ab initio training program.would you guide me please.i have not succeeded in locating the actual website.pliz help me

stanz martins
9th Jul 2015, 18:37

i have been trying to apply for ab initio training program.would you guide me please.i have not succeeded in locating the actual website.pliz help me

gear up job
10th Jul 2015, 01:36
You guys may wana do some READ first before asking repeated questions.

Read what maverick3, 254heavy and myself wrote first then asks questions!

Actually all that info is available at the carrier website.... :ugh:

"Potentially the next processing of the pilot applications will commence in February 2016."

and then you may wana find out the definition of the word "potentially" for those too naive to accept facts!

kevough103
27th Nov 2015, 07:09
@maithya.you can only go through the first step interview . for the rest of the process you will be required to have your details ready.at least thats what they didifor us. we did not have our form four certificates in 2013 at the time so they allowed us one interview and then gave us a week to have the certs ready. i did not make it to the end but i am getting a degree then i go back there again.

kevough103
27th Nov 2015, 07:34
those of you who have their degrees .the time is yours application deadline 31st dec

kibz2005
27th Nov 2015, 09:57
Pprune rules dictate that all discussion in this particular area will be in English. Don't get yourself banned.

kevough103
27th Nov 2015, 12:00
sorry.its been too long. i tend to do that sometimes.

Machinegunn
20th Dec 2015, 22:42
Does anybody have the link to the information about a probable 2016 intake?:hmm:

SlatsINOP
4th Jan 2016, 10:25
I have heard from a reliable source that this program will not be continued for now. If things in KQ get better and remains stable for another three to four years then it may resume.

Currently they should be cutting back on capacity with the grounding and sale of the 7 T7. Thats about 56 pilots who are not currently working. Wait and see approach and find something to do meanwhile. Don't peg your hopes on the program for now

254HEAVY
5th Jan 2016, 11:16
If in May 2016 they do get the go ahead and start direct flights to North America then that will be a game changer. More likely T7's will be utilised fully depending on the initial route they decide to commence on. My understanding is that the 200's are the ones being sold and not the 300. Didn't one of the 300 flew to AMS like a few weeks ago?

The North America route could create alot of movements for the guys in narrow to medium to heavy bodies. Promotions too.

LADAN 2ALPHA
22nd Jan 2016, 07:55
Hi, this' my first time post ever on PPRuNE. I'm an avid follower of many of it's threads from way back, including this one, but I've never gotten myself to post a reply on anything. See, the thing is, my spirit abhors rumours but my mind thrives on them. That explains why I'm a religious per-taker of rumours but am not such an excellent 'per-giver' of them actually. But then, since there are soon-yet-to-come holes and REAL turbulent times ahead for the Kenyan aviation industry, it's time to pickup some new hobbies for those of us in it.

So, to the rumour at hand...it's actually more of factual now that there is going to be a huge and thorough shakeup at KQ. Even though the spirit might want to believe and stick to the rumour going around that KQ might recruit new pilots in June of 2016, my mind is sharp enough to know better. From sources high in the food chain, word is that there will be a HUGE cut down in capacity.
First and foremost, all Boeing 777s are to leave. Two 777-200 are sold to Oman Air, two more to be sold. The 777-300 are leaving for Turkey. That's it for those beautiful birds. Well, so-long!
More, 3 Boeing 737-700 to be sold out.
To follow, are 3 Boeing 787 Dreamliners which are on plans to be leased out soon leaving only 6 Dreamliners as the only wide bodies for long hauls. At times I wonder what the state of mind of the people making decisions at KQ is when they are doing so? I know their spirits are in the right place but my worry is their minds? That's why am proud of KALPA, they seem to be have their mind and spirit in sync and in the right place for calling for the exit of these decision makers. To many people, and that includes majority of the bloggers and KOT, who have little to no knowledge of what's going on, KALPA is being 'just selfish with everything they really care about being an increase in their paychecks and not about the state of the company'. I'm not going to pretend to know everything and judge we Kenyans for pretending to know everything, but all I'm saying is maybe we should listen to people who spent thousands of hours in an industry that forms the core of their livelihood. They might know a lot more than just the KQ company theme-colour and the name of the CEO.
Let's assume hypothetically Mr. Boeing woke up one sad morning and heard of a fault in one of the Boeing 787 aircraft systems which necessitated him to send out a notice to all air operators operating his dream aircrafts, and ask them to ground their 787 fleet till the design problem is fixed. Even though there will be a cost implication on Mr. Boeing from the airlines, will KQ ground all its long-haul operations? My spirit tells me yes, but from the decisions I've seen being made, my mind tells me the Embraer will put on the Hanoi route. I pity the dispatchers who will be asked to put up a repetitive through plan for that. I bet they will be fired for making it to long and too costly!
Okay back to the rumour at hand. The downsize is not on the fleet capacity only, rumour has it that the aircraft-to-manpower ratio is going to be restructured significantly. That includes close to 100 pilots, from what's being said, flight attendants and ground personnel are also to be included. All departments are to be touched as I hear. Furthermore, the Boeing 737NG flight simulator is currently undergoing a cost benefit analysis to determine if its worth a keep or its better to be sold to another party for operation or complete ownership. Ahem, anyone know Cpt. J.M.Ririani? You can cough the wind to his direction. 'Pride 2' can become 'Kenya School of Advanced Flying'!
Tough times ahead I must say! If you were banking on the AB initio program maybe its time to align your spirit with your mind. It's going to be hash but we can never run away from the reality. We have to face it as it comes. Nothing in this life is guaranteed, and in the same breathe also this state at KQ might change for the better depending on what actions we see being taken, which I must say is critical at this point. For those of us with licenses and ratings, not to worry, am sure Youth Aviation will need people to file their flight plans and pick NOTAMS and METARS from the flight information offices.Or better still,new ab initio pilot trainees at Wilson airport flying schools might want to hear stories from South Africa from an experienced ground instructor. Am just kidding...it can't, and let's pray it doesn't, get to those levels.

End of rumour post1.

gear up job
23rd Jan 2016, 02:20
Great rumour post lad!

Regarding feet, yes they will be cut downs some already happening.

Regarding senior management, yes that's an overdue checklist. Mind you some of the senior management will go home but they will go with money bags! That would defeat the purpose!

Regarding Pilots, well KAPLA will make alot of noise, court cases, media....etc then a week later everyone will forget about it and move on. Affected pilots will move to ME and China were they are bleeding for Pilots. Some may already be making the move.

The 737 Sim will probably stay as currently it's saving them some coin on rating guys, recurrent, and training newbies.

The USA launch will not make huge impact because it's not a direct flight. So more costs to where the stop over will be.

2018- Onwards things MAY start getting better. What Kenya Airways are just realizing is that they no longer have a monopoly of their precious routes in Africa! As if they didn't see it coming!

254HEAVY
23rd Jan 2016, 21:52
After all they are just rumours or NOT! . All in all things are worse! They are paying workers using a credit card which has millions of interest rate to pay back! Never seen it like this!

Vc10Tail
25th Jan 2016, 06:41
254 HEAVY...now THAT one is a HEAVY rumour rafiki!! I say...KQ better call it a day!! Was that rumour by ear or eye? Or was it over a crate of beers at "Dam Busters"?? :))

After all they are just rumours or NOT! . All in all things are worse! They are paying workers using a credit card which has millions of interest rate to pay back! Never seen it like this!

254HEAVY
26th Jan 2016, 07:52
Kinda a known factor hence KAPLA is making some noise and now COTU have joined them. Its about time.

On the other news THY have struck a deal to acquire all 3 K.A T7-300 from GECAS. Not good for the pilots who worked so hard to become "heavy" drivers!

sheilanjeri
1st Feb 2016, 06:34
I visited the KQ careers website today, and noticed that the adverts for both ab initio and DEP are back up. Maybe there is hope after all...

LADAN 2ALPHA
9th Feb 2016, 15:40
About the sim...from what I hear not much 'coin-saving' is projected since only one lot, the guys who just came back from S.A, are expected to start their training and after that it might be a while before a new lot uses it for type training. That will leave it underutilized for some time just like it has been for a while now. Because, from what I hear, the simulator has been running at below 20% utilization and that includes use by guys from Rwandair and since KQ is looking to raise capital urgently it's part of the assets undergoing cost benefit analysis to see if it's better to dispose it off and inturn raise some capital from it. I won't be surprised to hear it has been sold off but it would have been wise to keep it if I was the decision makers...

I agree let's hope things get better from 2018 but I would probably go with 2020. The state the company is in right now will only take a miracle to get it back on it's feet by 2018. Some pilots have not been on the schedule for a while now...and they are digging to fire the new guys in the slightest opportunity they get. Payment of employees is by credit each month for some time now, suppliers are not being paid...huge trouble but let's hope things lookup in the future

Nextcaptain254
11th Feb 2016, 17:46
First post on Pp Rune i have been a follower for sometime looking forward to achieving my dream of being a Airline pilot.

My question is on KQ abinitio program i have been trying to look for advertisement but with no success.

i Had applied in 2012 but dint pass psycho motor test but it was a long time and believe after finishing my university will apply again.And has the rule on after two years after going through interview your are eligible to apply again

Anyone in luck applying or any info on next advertisement.

gear up job
13th Feb 2016, 02:51
Well they (management) put themselves in the hole they are right now. Worse is they have hired a dozen consultants to get them out of the hole which is kinda late. Furthermore these consultants aren't cheap! Why didn't they not hire the consultants when profits were high to generates more profits like what Middle East carriers are doing. Always the opposite with K.A!

They had a good opportunity to utilize the sim some time back when ET approached them but K.A thought they will be on top forever! Guess what, ET now has 5 full flight simulator and now K.A B787 guys do their recurrent training at ET B787 Sim

A very sad state for the carrier at the moment..........

Nextcaptain254

The link for the ad's got pulled out! I think it was an error. As what Ladan mentioned they are in no position to hire at the moment and true they are looking at cutting alot of staff benefits and human power. Actually as a pilot you don't want to be hired by the carrier at the moment. They will retain you as a Second officer for like forever coz they know they are paying you peanuts! The guys flying in the bush will be making more shillings than you! I have never understood why K.A Second officers take more than a year to check out as First Officers. Only a few have checked out in less than a year! Lot of the carriers over here don't take more than 3 months and the pilots are newbies 250-300hrs.

Cisna
25th Feb 2016, 08:24
Hey guys, what are the prerequisites necessary to be eligible for the ab initio program? I have read past messages on this forum and I have heard that a degree certificate has become a prerequisite......I am seeking reassuarance and clarity on what is necessary.

Nextcaptain254
25th Feb 2016, 17:24
@Cisna,

From there sight this are there requirements;

University Degree
Mean grade B plain or equivalent and B in Maths, English and Physics
Must be Kenyan citizens aged 18 and above but not beyond 28 years
Minimum height of 5'4'' and a maximum of 6'2''
Must be a good team player of high integrity
Must possess strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
Must be medically fit with good eyesight
Keen to learn under a very demanding environment

Hope this useful

darkroomsource
26th Feb 2016, 10:41
Is it required that one's education is done within Kenya?

Cisna
6th Apr 2016, 12:15
Thanks for the info.

Chromme the dreamer
21st Jun 2016, 22:13
Hey guys.. I looked at the private pilot training sector and they recommend that one does both the PPL and the CPL programs.. Somehow i was unseure that that is true or maybe its for their economic benefit.. Does the same apply with the kenya airways ab initio program?

gear up job
18th Aug 2016, 10:35
Given the recent aggressive route changes by the carrier, how is the carrier able to deliver to it's customers with the current flight deck crew? i read somewhere 50+ crew have left for ME and more to leave.......The current crew must be flying maximum hrs! even with goodwill still in place, those are alot of hrs to fly using the current crew or did the carrier end up hiring the AB Initio students from SA? I thought KALPA had shut down that move?

Turbokite
20th Aug 2016, 12:37
It is true the resignations have been coming in thick and fast. The effects of the resignations will start being felt around October. Currently most of resignees are still serving the required 3 months notice, thereby holding fort. For sure many more to come, but the management has dismissed it as a storm in a tea cup, they believe there are a lot of eager and waiting replacements at Wilson willing to step into the mess that is KQ right now

254HEAVY
22nd Aug 2016, 23:19
There was a few Wilson hired Direct Entry FO's last year by the carrier.

kyaloalex
4th Mar 2019, 05:16
hello.can i be accepted with a B- in english

Cap.tain
24th Nov 2019, 16:14
Hey hey everyone. There's the 2019 advert for the KQ Ab Initio Pilot Trainee programme. Who are in? Those who have already joined as FOs and captains, please give us an insight of what to expect during the process. Thanks!

C.D Brooks
26th Nov 2019, 18:10
Good day,

​​​​​​I submitted my application amd am glad there is a great forum such as this to share with other prospective cadets. Waiting patiently for an invitation to interview and want to take this moment to wish us all the best. Let the games begin.

Javier Hernandez
27th Nov 2019, 10:58
Hey hey everyone. There's the 2019 advert for the KQ Ab Initio Pilot Trainee programme. Who are in? Those who have already joined as FOs and captains, please give us an insight of what to expect during the process. Thanks!
I have also applied. Second time applicant after not being called the first time. All the best to us.

Cap.tain
27th Nov 2019, 16:14
I have also applied. Second time applicant after not being called the first time. All the best to us.
When did you apply the first time? Was a degree a requirement at that time?

Javier Hernandez
29th Nov 2019, 06:11
When did you apply the first time? Was a degree a requirement at that time?

No. I applied when it was not a requirement. However the requirements changed when I was waiting for an interview invite. KQ refused to process without a degree. I was left in the cold. Seen the deadline has been extended. It looks like they did not get enough candidates.

Cap.tain
2nd Dec 2019, 20:22
No. I applied when it was not a requirement. However the requirements changed when I was waiting for an interview invite. KQ refused to process without a degree. I was left in the cold. Seen the deadline has been extended. It looks like they did not get enough candidates.
OH yeah the new deadline is 11th December. Let's just hope for the best this time round. Hoping they will soon be inviting people for interviews

Colz
4th Dec 2019, 07:02
Hey Javier, good luck on your application. You say it is your second time applying, did you manage to get to the interview.

Javier Hernandez
5th Dec 2019, 07:17
No. I was never invited to interview.

darwin wairegi
6th Dec 2019, 13:55
Hi Javier, I have also been trying to apply but I am not sure the application went through since on my job portal it shows there is a draft submission. However I reveived an attomated reply "We have received the profile you submitted to our company. We thank you for your interest and would like............" does this mean it went through?

Javier Hernandez
8th Dec 2019, 07:12
Hi Javier, I have also been trying to apply but I am not sure the application went through since on my job portal it shows there is a draft submission. However I reveived an attomated reply "We have received the profile you submitted to our company. We thank you for your interest and would like............" does this mean it went through?

I doubt. Please make sure it reads as completed submission. You should receive an email with the title Subject:Ab Initio Pilot Trainee-1900008X at Kenya Airways.

Captain West
9th Dec 2019, 08:49
Hey for those who completed AB Initio program, How long does it take? Upon success, can someone choose between a long haul and a short-haul job?

darwin wairegi
9th Dec 2019, 12:03
Many thanks Javier :O, I finally managed to fully submit and received the reply email, all this time I have been thinking my application was okay

.All the best

BuzzThunder95
20th Dec 2019, 12:03
Hey for those who completed AB Initio program, How long does it take? Upon success, can someone choose between a long haul and a short-haul job?

Hello my fellow Aviators, I also did submit my application. Concerning your question Captain West, the process in KQ is, once you get checked out as a First Officer, you start out in their smallest a/c in the fleet, the Embraer (short haul routes), then you get upgraded to the 737 (short - medium haul routes), and finally to the 787 (medium - long haul routes). When you upgrade to the coveted 4-bars, you go back down and work your up again. I've had the chance to talk to one of the successful ab-initio candidates, now an F.O. with KQ, it typically took them a cool 6 months before calling guys for the interviews, during their time that is so I can't say for sure we'll be working with the same time lines, might be shorter/longer.

The interviews are pretty rigorous so I've heard so you should start brushing up on your aptitude, basically Form 1&2 stuff (Maths, Physics, a little bit of Chemistry not certain on this one though and English I bet), also heard they'll be testing Mechanical Reasoning, Shape Matching, Instrumentation/aircraft attitude, you can google these stuff.
Good luck everyone.

MwangiAlex254
22nd Dec 2019, 21:18
Hi everyone. This will be a great forum throughout the process. The time it takes to commence the interviews depends on many factors some of which are not within the airline's control. Nevertheless, we should expect the interviews to start some time next month or Feb God willing.
I have gone through the process before up to the oral interview stage. I will be happy to share what to expect throughout the way. In the meantime, I wish you all the best. Cheers.

BuzzThunder95
23rd Dec 2019, 19:30
Hi everyone. This will be a great forum throughout the process. The time it takes to commence the interviews depends on many factors some of which are not within the airline's control. Nevertheless, we should expect the interviews to start some time next month or Feb God willing.
I have gone through the process before up to the oral interview stage. I will be happy to share what to expect throughout the way. In the meantime, I wish you all the best. Cheers.
Looking forward to it.

Le Pilote
31st Dec 2019, 14:06
Hi all,

Glad to see the thread continuing after the recent call for applications. I am one of the applicants and having gone through the previous posts right from 2009, I couldn't help but notice that at one point an aptitude test was part of the initial application; thing is, I did not see one in the recent application that I made. Is it that I missed it? Did anyone do a short aptitude test during the recently closed applications?

And to those who've already made it into the program, was one required to attach a copy of their I.D during the initial application or this will be required later?

Wingman20
8th Jan 2020, 20:39
I applied to the program in late November. It may take a while to get a response. Patience is crucial. All the best to the applicants

AngaSky
10th Jan 2020, 06:37
I hate to be the bearer of bad news and I hope I am wrong but I hear the ab initio program has been suspended yet again.
Reason being no financial institution is ready to partner with KQ at the moment.

Javier Hernandez
10th Jan 2020, 11:47
I hate to be the bearer of bad news and I hope I am wrong but I hear the ab initio program has been suspended yet again.
Reason being no financial institution is ready to partner with KQ at the moment.

Well. Sometimes being the bearer of bad news is better than being kept here waiting 6 months for an interview invite. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case considering how much money the banks have lost on paper after agreeing to accepting shares in lieu of money owed. These two deals are totally different but the exposure in Ab Initio training is quite considerate to the tune of around 100m per year for 15 cadets. I cling to the hope that KQ was prudent enough to have engaged financial institutions and flights schools and had gotten the green light before putting up the advertisement twice. For now we keep waiting. If it goes past February before an interview I will actually forget about this.

BuzzThunder95
10th Jan 2020, 14:30
Thanks for the info but I tend to believe they wouldn't have re-introduced the program without securing a financial partner to begin with, it would be counterproductive to say the least. Let's not lose hope, I for one wont be.

Wingman20
11th Jan 2020, 03:38
Thanks for the info but I tend to believe they wouldn't have re-introduced the program without securing a financial partner to begin with, it would be counterproductive to say the least. Let's not lose hope, I for one wont be.

I couldn't have said it better myself. It would be really hard to believe that KQ are making arrangements with financial insitutes as they go along.

BuzzThunder95
11th Jan 2020, 17:18
I couldn't have said it better myself. It would be really hard to believe that KQ are making arrangements with financial insitutes as they go along.
Exactly, wouldn't make sense. Let's hope that's not the case.

wanabeecptn2028
12th Jan 2020, 11:46
I also tend to think that KQ already planned for everything before advertising for the Program, lets just remain patient and hope things work out in our favor