PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Airways AB Initio Pilot Recruitment

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14

FLYDHC8
22nd May 2013, 09:28
Yes, having a university degree doesn't hurt at all and I personally recommend one gets a degree but again, as an Airline Pilot, not having one does not hinder your progress.

Going into management is something different from a career as an Airline Pilot. There are people in the management seats of many airlines who are not pilots.

Don't forget that its not every pilots that will end up in management neither is management for everyone. People have different goals in life. There are lots of Pilots who see out their career as Pilots and are contempt with it. A pilot can be used in different capacity in an airline with or without a university degree, training department, Human resources department, flight operations department.

Again, I am in full support of one getting a university degree and I recommend it.

CAPT GOLF
3rd Jun 2013, 06:27
if and when you are shortlisted for the abinitio and you are interested to get assistance on basic piloting training and how to pass the aptitude tests kindly contact me on 0718242850.....i went through the process successfully and did my flying at 43rd airschool in south africa

nominated_pilot
3rd Jun 2013, 07:03
which year did you do your interviews and in which month did you go to South Africa?

Vc10Tail
3rd Jun 2013, 08:16
If you are young..better go this route for self fulfillment as well as insurance against theincreasingly notorious job insecurity in this flying career.I know people with considerable experience who are out of work for four consecutive years.Better study a vocational university degree that can ofer you alternative career placement in case chips fall in your flying career later whether it be due to medical, performance issues or industry layoffs due to poor economy.

Ideally avoid arts degrees and intellectual subjects.The cockpit isn't a pit for intellectual arguments and you might come across as antagonistic for effective CRM especially when the Captain you are flying with has been through the traditional school- flying school kind of "education".Keep your opinions to yorself unless solicited during situations which require creative problem solving.The cockpit is a place where only logic and rules and rgulations...sometimes common sense rules...not education!

That said...the degree wil arm you with minimal qualifications to be nominated for possible career advancement in future. I heard an ex chief Pilot of a major airline was rescinded from his high and mighty post due to the basic fact...he possessed non other form-4 certificate apart from pilot training, to his credit!You don't want to be in that embarassing position.So..even if you gain sponsorship by KQ...do attempt to attend a part time course...even if at Diploma level...in a field you are passionate about...otherwise flying and studying can be one tiring experience!

Victor Mundez
3rd Jun 2013, 11:21
I really need help....Av been trying to apply for the Ab Initio programme on the Kenya Airways for months now unsuccessfully.Can someone please take me through the procedure for applying for the programme?

Vc10Tail
4th Jun 2013, 04:23
You need a University Degree now

Jam330
6th Jun 2013, 13:22
I would say the KQ recruitment process is very canvased. They speak of benchmarks that are higher than a global airline such as Emirates. I myself have been through about five major carrier Interviews and KQ was the least constructive.

Emirates, Qatar, Fly Dubai never ask for high school reports. all they want is Class 1 Medical and Valid Licence. More than that they want to see that the pilots they hire are personality-wise smart.

KQ have a tendancy of either disqualifying on unreasonable grounds or just going quiet on you. The saddest part is that there is a boast of strong KALPA but if you are not in KQ KALPA wont do anything for you. If you are a Pilot, my best advice is join Emirates, Qatar or any other large carrier where senior pilots don't form cartels only because they want to fly the Dreamliner.

true and honest opinion. been there done that...its painful. The Pride of Africa is a dream breaker.

aspire-fly
7th Jun 2013, 04:03
God willing i will be graduating with a degree in engineering next year. I will therefore be eligible to apply for the ab initio programme. However, my concern is, how much are we supposed to pay the loan every month? How much roughly will a first officer pocket after tax and the loan deducted at the end of the month?

kasa
8th Jun 2013, 07:10
i think just focus on the job first if you are passionate $ the good pay will follow after your service.

DirectPilot
8th Jun 2013, 10:46
@Aspire-fly they deduct 140,000 from a salary of about 350,000 depending on how much you fly it can be a lot more. Don't know about the tax

DirectPilot
8th Jun 2013, 10:48
@Jam330 i'v also heard the process had hitches back in the day but i can assure you it's a lot fairer now. Especially flight tests for us in direct entry

Vc10Tail
8th Jun 2013, 11:28
I beg to disagree mate! And you will find many more fliers lamenting on the subject if provoked. People have been failed on flight tests just for pointing pre flight faults on the plane!

Then again, why keep applicants waiting for 3 years before re-try when most airlines world-wide give you a sentence of only 1 year? And further to that...those that reached the final stage of Flight test have to wait longer than those who failed earlier in the test battery!!????:confused:

Moving the Fligh test away from Ririani to the 737 sim was the most sensible move.He is biased and malicious and had powers to fail a candidate before the test ,over riding the Kq invigilator..Now they need to re-think this meaningless waiting period when they are supposed to have shortage of Captains and this obstructs entry to experienced ATPLs.They might also think about Direct entry fast track scheme for experienced ATPLs like other airlines..and not to mix ATPLs with ab-initio/fresh CPL candidates in the testing process.

Rumour has it that KALPA.is toothless. What is required is a federation of kenyan pilots to help with careers and emplyment causes.Why are emplyment permits and license conversion allowed for foreign pilots when many Kenyans are unemployed? In other countries you can not even apply for license conversion unless you have been legaly offered a job prior.

What are your views on this?

nyash
11th Jun 2013, 15:32
Guys check mail

ChegeAviator
11th Jun 2013, 15:51
Hi guys! Has anyone else gotten mail asking them to fill a table with more personal data?

ngarenjoka
11th Jun 2013, 15:53
Finally Kenya Airways responds, albeit just to confirm my details! This is a good sign though, I hope they are about to start the interview process. All the best people! :ok:

futurepilot13
11th Jun 2013, 15:57
well, mine is not an invitation to interviews, they have asked me to revise n fill in my degree and year of graduation,but im not a graduate so i guess it might be the end of the road for me, they are pretty serious about the degree even they have written on the website....but my application is still active

Blaq Hawk
11th Jun 2013, 18:06
At least the airline finally contacts us. Just saw the email asking me to update my information. It has been a long and torturous wait :)

irealest
11th Jun 2013, 18:38
Received an email to verify my info.

samajor
11th Jun 2013, 20:04
Hey guys! Has anyone received a different mail from the one requesting fo a review of our details? This particular one I bet is for the 2013 applications, I know of guys who have degrees also getting them. Kindly enlighten if you got more insights into this.
Do we review through the iRecuitment portal of by email> I guess the former

Orindajeff
12th Jun 2013, 03:15
Hi i just checked my email both inbox and spam but nothing from kq..i hope that is still goo dnews for me....

nyash
12th Jun 2013, 07:26
i think you should fill the tablewith the requested details.

BOLT KIPCHUMBA
12th Jun 2013, 08:04
I also received a form that wanted me to send them my details. I think the interviews will be conducted soon. for those looking forward to the interviews, don't think its easy. I have gone through the interviewing process and its so bad men. Kwanza patience, you must so patient plus the exams are a bit tricky. All the best lakini.

kativo
12th Jun 2013, 10:06
Finally some sort of response. Its alive. All the best people. :cool:

mutpeter
13th Jun 2013, 13:28
Hi guys!
How did you people reply to the kq email request for minimum requirements?
As for me, I just replied back by filling the table, though not very sure if this is the correct mode. Kindly contribute so that we can all uplift each other in fulfilling our dreams of becoming pilots

ChegeAviator
14th Jun 2013, 03:09
Hi. I copy pasted the table to the reply page and filled it then sent. I didn't see any other way of doing it.

nyongesan
14th Jun 2013, 08:09
@chege, thats right! @nyash, you are also in? Am Wallace

BOLT KIPCHUMBA
14th Jun 2013, 08:39
So i guess the interviews are slated for next week or the week after, keep revising and studying those high school mathematics

Vc10Tail
14th Jun 2013, 11:20
There goes the ab-initio recruitment scheme.Keep your fingers crossed!

nyongesan
14th Jun 2013, 16:44
@Vc10Tail (http://www.pprune.org/members/173294-vc10tail)How about giving that a a thought??? came across it at some dailys

Vc10Tail
14th Jun 2013, 19:10
You want my thoughts?I think any airline that encounters such financial turbulence will invariably mean belt tightening cost savings and profit contribution schemes.Cost centers that have no short term contribution to airline's financial health will likely suffer.Training is one of them.Long term asset and investment financing such as fleet and routes might have to be restructured to allow a more robust cashflow and financial sustainability.Marketing at Kenya Airways as well as Kenya Tourism in general has to re-strategise to a different sales pitch.Passenger demand has to be stimulated by creating more attractive pricing to fill those seats with bums. I think the biottom line is there might be some furloughs in pilot training especially at ab-initio level.Focus might be more on direct entry candidates who will cost the airline less to grow operations cost effectively.It all depends whether the fleet orders and delivery schedule will be maintained at the current rates(which I doubt) or if they will be slowed down.

What are your thoughts kijana?

nominated_pilot
14th Jun 2013, 20:01
I thought ab-initio have to take a loan which they later repay so that doesn't affect KQ's finances a lot, at least that is what i think.

Vc10Tail
15th Jun 2013, 07:00
My thoughts are just that. The loan does not cover all the expenses involved in training you to check out as a K.A. pilot.If the rate of fleet deliveries slows down the training will be affected.I recall in 1990 when they had recruited its first ab-initio and B757 orders were cancelled due to market and economy at that time.The ab-initio scheme was cancelled.What might happen is they might delay it it after signs of financial recovery.&ust keep monitoring the dailies and contact the training department fior a more accurate outlook.It is early days yet.I think some staff will be asked to leave.

BOLT KIPCHUMBA
16th Jun 2013, 14:06
The money used to train the pilots south there doesn't come from KQ coffers and in case a trainee pilot does not make it during the training, KQ usuaLly has an insurance plan to compensate them so all the money that u use for your training down in SA will be refunded back with interests. That's why people will have debts that might stretch for about 10 years.

kent190
16th Jun 2013, 20:50
i bet the just announced losses are delaying our orals.am not sure how much longer my patience nerves can hold!

captainbenja
17th Jun 2013, 15:51
How many interview sessions are there and what is the time interval between the sessions?

nominated_pilot
17th Jun 2013, 16:31
were you also in the group that did their medicals last?

kent190
18th Jun 2013, 07:32
yes.we were nine of us plus one who took his medicals later on.no word from kq till now after it was confirmed we had passed the medicals.!

Skipper254
18th Jun 2013, 15:44
Hey guys just wanted to know if you applied last year when the degree requirement had not taken effect;will it affect you during the interviews coz I got the email to confirm my details and all and the degree was there as a minimum requirement!!

nominated_pilot
18th Jun 2013, 18:23
I'm the one who took the medicals after you guys and haven't heard from KQ also.An overwhelming level of patience is required because KQ really do take their time and am sure there are reasons but it can be so frustrating:ugh:

Steve Carter
21st Jun 2013, 07:34
hey guys, am new in this community and I want to apply for the Kenya airways pilot training programme....My grandfather was a pilot and I tried contacting him and he refused, and know am trying it by myself...how can I apply for the training programme

BOLT KIPCHUMBA
22nd Jun 2013, 23:38
just visit the KQ website and create an account then go to careers and look for AB Initio programme then apply. however, you must be having a degree

kasa
23rd Jun 2013, 16:46
you mean you`ve not done your orals then , we who wait for amptitude must have bigger room for patience in our hearts.

Steve Carter
24th Jun 2013, 11:29
who has done the orals and what are the sample questions

kasa
25th Jun 2013, 16:25
has anyone got any mail for interview?

Blaq Hawk
27th Jun 2013, 15:34
:confused:
talk about patience. i hope they contact us soon

Gedion Muteti
28th Jun 2013, 10:59
hey,i applied fro the Ab initio Pilot trainee programme,please tell me what is explained in the first part of your interview

willfly1
28th Jun 2013, 11:50
i really hope the aptitudes come soon. :zzz:

wannabe aviator
1st Jul 2013, 04:05
I'm hopeful that mail will come this Friday. Have a good feeling. Fingers crossed.

kasa
3rd Jul 2013, 07:59
lets hope to be this friday.

BOLT KIPCHUMBA
3rd Jul 2013, 12:26
the KQ interview has the following major programs

1. Interview 1: basic mathematics and general science knowledge. u need to revise form 1-4 mathematics text book and some chemistry

2. Interview 2: psychometric test, contains 8 sets of examinations done within 5 hours same day

3. Interview 3: psychomotor test. involves some computer exams. very tough

4. Medical check up

5. Oral interview

6. South Africa.

Steve Carter
4th Jul 2013, 05:41
Aptitude test is administered around early September.
Be patient guys :-)

wannabe aviator
5th Jul 2013, 08:17
We can be called upon anytime not necessarily in September. Last year they didn't recruit anyone in September. Basically, when they need us, they will call us.

kasa
8th Jul 2013, 16:41
something good will happen soon let us not give up.

Primezz
10th Jul 2013, 04:37
guys, i need some help. Can KQ hire privately/self sponsored trained pilot from an American aviation school who has 300 hrs with instrument rating without any restrictions and done both the single and multi engine and also got APTL and is a Certified Flight Instructor? I know they do take their trainees to 43 and progressive aviation schools in S.A. have tried requesting the info from them without success. p.s I am a dual citizen...coz i know one requirement is to be a kenyan.

irealest
10th Jul 2013, 15:18
Yes sir. You need to go ahead and apply as a direct entry pilot to Kenya Airways as long as you are a Kenyan citizen. Ho wdid you get yout ATPL with 300 hours?

Trackdiamond
10th Jul 2013, 18:03
Kenya does not recognise dual citizenship.At Kenya Airways you will have to produce a kenyan birth certificate nd that of your Kenyan parents if they have reason to doubt your genuineness.Addditionally you need to produce Kenyan ID.All original documents.Passort isn't enough. A guy was disqualified once because hes was doubted to be genuine Kenyan in yhe interview despite al requisite documents simpy because of growing up outside Kenya.He got his second interview a decade later.

Primezz
10th Jul 2013, 18:57
Sorry man. APTL I was looking at after I do flight instructing for sometime but am not doing it anymore. so basically, it's CPL. and honestly, do you guys think I will get a job? yes, they always say they shortage of pilots. but to me i think they mean the pilots who have 5,000 hrs or something like that, and not the 200s. and how much do starting F/Os make in Kenya airways?

Primezz
11th Jul 2013, 08:09
oh wow thanks a lot for the info man. i thought the new constitution recognized dual citizens. but i think i should be in good shape since i have my birth cert at hand and can produce my parents' as well if need be. i have my kenyan passport still, although i aquired american one, i still do use my kenyan when entering kenya so i don't pay the for the visa. but one thing i don't have is kenya ID. i left kenya when i was 16, and so couldn't get one before. but wish i had gotten one numerous times have been to kenya. it just didn't cross my mind that it will be of much importance since i still got my kenyan passport.:ugh: but the gud thing is that the area chief of where i have to get the ID is my uncle. so he might fast truck the process for me once i give him the necessary documents. guess my most immediate plan i go back to kenya next summer to get a hold of that coveted national ID!:(

Steve Carter
11th Jul 2013, 08:58
btw how many do proceed to south africa with the kenya airways ab initio program
:confused:

irealest
11th Jul 2013, 19:13
The new constitution. You should do direct entry my friend. You might want to convert your license to a Kenyan CPL before you apply though. I hear its about 500,000/=. You should be golden. Best of luck brother.

UA405
14th Jul 2013, 15:56
Your Kenyan passport is sufficient proof of your Kenyan citizenship, and can be in lieu of your National ID, as long as it is valid. No need to hustle for the National one:ok:

1st officer
24th Jul 2013, 18:20
hey @future pilot; just applied this july 2013,how long does it take before they call you for the interviews?

edwin88
25th Jul 2013, 07:22
guys...anybody who applied in march 2013 and has been invited for the aptitudes or has an idea when the aptitudes are starting.?

mikemnoma
1st Aug 2013, 06:06
Hi guys I am having problems getting an application form. Someone please kindly help me. I have tried checking the Kenya Airways website to no avail or is the a manual(hard copy) application that I have to get.

farmwe
4th Aug 2013, 06:06
This degree issue is quite serious. Most of the developed countries like Britain, China are now restricting the pilots who fly into their countries, they have to have a degree. In the next 10years or so pilots without degrees will be restricted to fly within Africa or their own countries and will be forced to acquire a degree to fly international.

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Aug 2013, 06:38
Really? I very much doubt they're going to pull the plug on 15000 hour 777 captains who don't have a degree.

Do you have a link to that?

BOLT KIPCHUMBA
7th Aug 2013, 17:17
So if they are dispatching the next group in december, it then means that the interviews will be conducted around september

edwin88
10th Aug 2013, 06:37
hallo people.My patience is running out.Does it mean that if they will shortlist the next group in december the interviews will be conducted next year or will that december group be ready to depart for s.a so the interviews will come earlier?Anybody got an idea please?

willfly1
15th Aug 2013, 14:36
great month guys....if Bolt's right then, well make contact in September. :cool:

obi mog
15th Aug 2013, 22:50
guys,what's the page or e-mail where one can apply?:confused:

Magnate
17th Aug 2013, 20:28
There is a group clearing in Sept, so I guess the interviews would start around that time. I hear there is another group that has been through some of the interview stages...
In this, patience will be your greatest asset. In our case, we had our Medicals in late December 2012, but went to SA in May 2013. In between that time we sent emails, made calls, visited the offices...to no avail. Then surprised us in late April asking us to go to Pride Centre dressed officialy. To add on to that, we were informed that we were leaving the following morning and so had to be at the airport by 5 am. No time for farewell parties...hurried packing...

As you wait for that communication, get something to occupy you, play some video games to improve your hand-eye cordination (they really helped me in the psychomotor test considering I hadn't used a joystick before :)), practise some basic Math, Phyc...the usual stuff and build speed.

All the best. If I can be of any help, just PM me.

edwin88
19th Aug 2013, 13:52
@ magnate,,the group that you talking of,is it clearing from s.a or its clearing the interviews in september ready for departure.?

Magnate
19th Aug 2013, 15:29
Clearing from SA

nominated_pilot
20th Aug 2013, 06:44
Which flight school are they clearing from???

Magnate
20th Aug 2013, 19:57
Met some guys from 43 doing their navs, i think its the KQ8/7 group (not sure), and they told me that by September they will be done with the course.

LY-MML
25th Aug 2013, 20:43
Actually, you have a great potential in your home country if they still train pilots for future replacement, it shows clearly that in the near future there will be lack of pilots in Kenya, so you just keep it up, look for the cheapest CPL/IR/ME you can find then come back start job hunting at home and you should keep in touch with the Chief pilot or any other member in KQ recruitment committee while on your training to keep yourself updated, it could be more helpfu

Good:ok: lucky

Flier2463
2nd Sep 2013, 15:29
Hi guys, i came across some part in my profile that says shortlisting will be done in December 2013. I hope that is not the case but let's wait and see. keeping hope alive!:ouch:

kasa
2nd Sep 2013, 16:17
Hi guys, we have just started a new month let's hope something good to happen

edwin88
12th Sep 2013, 09:09
hey people..anything coming up or its just the long wait for december..?

edwin88
16th Sep 2013, 12:39
hello guys....i heard that guys who did their medicals around April will be going for their orals starting tomorrow..someone clarify this please.

Captain Kinyanjui
21st Sep 2013, 12:58
i applied for the program in July...can anyone please tell me when first round interviews are due:confused:

kasa
25th Sep 2013, 15:01
Guys let's not give up we shall be called.

Captain Kinyanjui
28th Sep 2013, 11:39
if the deadline is dec that means they may have to pool the applicants then do the shortlisting..my thoughts thou:bored:

kasa
3rd Oct 2013, 16:31
Have those guys who did orals in september join the others in SA?

Pilot Breezy
7th Oct 2013, 03:07
Start learning about Cessna aircraft. I believe this will be your first aircraft to train on and also for your first Solo.

Go to Welcome to Cessna Flight Training (http://cessnaflighttraining.com) and click on the “Try Demo” button on the bottom right of the page.

Also Listen to Listen to Live ATC (Air Traffic Control) Communications | LiveATC.net (http://www.liveatc.net) beforehand and get used to the radio transmissions and speed of speech that the air controllers have.

Most important have fun and enjoy every minute of your training.

All the best cadets!

gear up job
7th Oct 2013, 07:57
Nice nice PB.......:ok:

Ace KJay
9th Oct 2013, 07:34
i think this has to be the longest wait ever; when was the last time guys left for sa this year? could kq might have changed their strategy this time round? just curious..

Kilo_Quebec
9th Oct 2013, 07:53
@Ace KJay, kq has it clear in their recruitment portal, they are pooling details of all applicants for shortlisting in December. From now, my guestimation tells me that a group might be leaving for SA between April-May 2014. Remember also that kq has also attained the targeted 441 pilots. KQ is also recovering from a loss. They'll announce the half year financial results on 14th November, keep an eye on these returns. The business environment in kenya is also relatively turbulent thanks ICC and somali terrorist.

darwin wairegi
17th Oct 2013, 09:12
hey guys.I cleared high school education last year and met the qualifications of applying for the ab initio intake i.e grade B+ in maths physics and English.Are the any other more requirements needed for application and if not,how can I apply for the 2014 intake?

BOLT KIPCHUMBA
22nd Oct 2013, 09:19
Darwin wairegi,
you must be having a degree for you to qualify for shortlisting

edwin88
23rd Oct 2013, 07:40
hey everyone,December seemed a century away but its approaching so quickly..lets keep the patience guys..

Kilo_Quebec
31st Oct 2013, 11:54
in 2011, kq had one of the ab initio closing date on 31st Dec. I got this info from previous posts on this thread. From the posts, some people at that time had applied as early as August 2011. Those fellows had to really wait. They received the first email in March 2,2012. For this year they say the closing date is 31st. KQ is also saying that the PROCESSING will be done on December. If only the latter makes a difference between all previous groups and 2013/14 group then the FIRST email should come in December. May the broad timelines now shrink!

MisterToo
8th Nov 2013, 04:17
Haven't you guys received any news from the recruitment team ever since you did your orals? According to Captain Opere, who was here to check on our progress last week told us we should be expecting a new group mid this month. I can't confirm the exact date but those are his words... Keep the dream true!

Captain Kinyanjui
8th Nov 2013, 13:26
kq have made it clear that fresh applicants to the program must have a degree..just fast track on getting one.

Blaq Hawk
13th Nov 2013, 08:02
I have read somewhere on social media that KQ has posted a 384 million shilling profit after tax...so maybe it will be sooner than we anticipated :ok:

darkroomsource
13th Nov 2013, 09:45
384 million shilling profit after tax
Isn't very much in terms of a company that size
that's about enough to hire 8 pilots (with overhead and expenses) or buy 1/20th of a new plane, or cover the electricity bill for all the KQ offices around the world for maybe a year or two

forbidden signal
18th Nov 2013, 12:17
2014 looks like it's going to be a good year for KQ. More Embraers, 777s and 787s will be delivered by March 2014. ION, I've realised that there is a group (2012/13) which almost made it to the orals but the requirements suddenly changed. What is the fate of this group? On the degree issue, its important to get one from accredited university. A public university is good enough. A science degree in my view is a plus. I can't imagine a pilot with political science or a law degree.

gear up job
19th Nov 2013, 00:19
You are right lad regarding degree. If i was you, i would go for a business related degree something like Accounting or Finance. Even if things don't pan out with KQ that degree can still take you places. I wouldn't be suprised if sooner or later they change to a business degree because i know most ICAO member states countries ask for a business related degree.

In terms of KQ fleet expansions, i don't think all that will happen. They are already running behind with their route and fleet expansions plus they have their much anticipated LCC launch. Don't forget Boeing holds the cards too so acquiring all those aircraft's wouldn't happen over night.

All in all we can only hope for the best.

Aviator David
20th Nov 2013, 04:32
Hi Team,

To the guys who are currently in SA. Do we have any group about to clear?

When are KQ likely to take the next group to SA?

Regards!:ok:

abubakar
21st Nov 2013, 04:05
Hi y'all. Am a graduate and met the requirements of the ab initio but I've a ppl license, do they allow people with ppl for the ab initio program?
Thanks.

mutpeter
21st Nov 2013, 10:48
@Abubakar
So long as you have the minimum requirements you are good to go. However, you can also check their requirements for Direct Entry pilots since you already have PPL, I think this is the better option for you.

edwin88
22nd Nov 2013, 12:15
anyone who can contact the kq human resource office and ask if the interviews will start in December or next year January:confused:.

Steve Carter
23rd Nov 2013, 21:42
Has any of you comrades received an e mail

MisterToo
26th Nov 2013, 07:24
Hello David,

At the moment there are 4 groups in SA. 3 KQ-8 at 43 who are almost clearing, less that a month if the weather and all the technicalities go as planned. Another group at Progress are in their last stages of the training with some of them already done. This two groups are the ones that started in May 2012

The other two groups are the KQ-9 at 43 currently sitting in for their ATPL ground school, you could assume they are 1/3 way through their training. Then there is us, KQ-1 at AIFA. We are halfway through, much as the weather hasn't been on our side!

Hope that answers your question. :ok:

gear up job
26th Nov 2013, 10:09
cheers lad!

How many cadets in total are the 4 groups?

Aviator David
26th Nov 2013, 15:24
Wow! Thanks Mister Too.

So much insight there. Is it OK to ask a few more questions:

*So the KQ-8 group was one intake but split into two; that's Progress and 43?
*Which months did the KQ 9 and KQ 10 go to SA?
*How do the three compare: AIFA, 43 and Progress?
*Lastly, is it safe to trust that in the next 1month; the two KQ-8 groups will have finished hence a vacancy? Does KQ immediately fill these vacancies? Is it safe to anticipate interviews in the next few weeks?

I look forward to joining you guys.

Thanks so much!:ok:

BOLT KIPCHUMBA
27th Nov 2013, 06:44
For anyone that will be shortlisted, I can be of great help. I have once gone through this upto the last stage. I will help you understand how to sail through each stage till the end. So as you await invitation for the interviews, be patient and always check your emails.

geokar
27th Nov 2013, 13:16
Quick Question guys
does KQ still require 250hr for their CPL Direcy Entry guys or did they relax the rules on that? Thanks

gear up job
28th Nov 2013, 09:15
Hi lad.

I would assume that given that 250hrs is the minimum requirement, one would need to meet that requirement plus all others for them to progress further.

Take the advantage to meet the required amount of hours because at least KQ aren't asking for Multi Engine hrs as part of minimum requirements. Who knows things may change next year.

kasa
1st Dec 2013, 14:49
Hi guys,the much awaited month is here with us lets cross our fingers for the interviews to begin this month coz shortlisting is any moment from now!

edwin88
4th Dec 2013, 06:04
hey pals..everybody gone silent..lets try and keep in touch here in-case anything pops up since i believe something is going to happen soon..lets not leave each other in the dark if anything comes up..thanks..

odericko2000
4th Dec 2013, 11:10
@ Geokar,

Unfortunately the 250 hour requirement isn't really a Kq requirement, rather it is a KCAA requirement to hold a Kenyan CPL. Naturally to qualify for the direct entry programme you need to be in possession of a Kenyan CPL, so ultimately the 250 hours come into play.

@ Gear up Job,

You do need to be multi engine rated to qualify for the direct entry pilot programme. KQ will not pay for your multi engine training if you are applying to be considered under direct entry requirements. They will expect to put you into class straight away for your Jet orientation training and thereafter your first officer training. There fore you need to be a CPL holder, IR rated and Multi rated.

Aviatorette
5th Dec 2013, 19:47
Hi all, I applied for the March 2013 Ab Initio program and I happened to chance on this very interesting forum. Read most of the entries and i must say i am really psyched for the next stage of the interview all that's remaining is for KQ to send us the emails for aptitude ;). Looking forward to share and read more from all of you.

By the way, is it just me or have you all noticed how those guys active in discussions end up going down south? Well..............

Kilo_Quebec
6th Dec 2013, 08:27
Waah!! January now looks inevitable. I dont understand why that precious E-mail should delay. My understanding is that the PROCESSING is computerised. KQ VIRTUALLY does little, if any, MANUAL shortlisting.

That java oracle system carries a good chunk of the shortlisting burden. The online test in my opinion, is the basis of shortlisting. i.e. the oracle system just fetches details of applicants with 100% from the database. If KQ wants more numbers, the oracle system moves to the "lower" scores.

This applies only to ab initio due to large number of applicants.

Anyhow, if anyone receives any communication from KQ HR just let fellow wannabees know.

Disclaimer. These are just my views based on my perspectives. I'm not a computer scientist. I dont know anyone in recruitment team.

edwin88
7th Dec 2013, 07:05
@ kilo..

highly doubt if those marks or the percentage has any meaning..I guess it was based on the time one spends filling in your details. I also highly doubt how just filling in your educational and any job details can be a basis of grading someone to rule you out of the interviews. I have been through the pwc recruitment and at the initial stage this grading happened but it affected no one..anyway i stand to be corrected by those who know more about this on the thread..guys in s.a, anybody who can clarify on this..http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

Aviatorette
7th Dec 2013, 18:37
In my own opinion; The introduction of the degree requirement might be the cause of this hold up. Previously, candidates who applied to join the AB Initio program were provided with a column to fill in their KCSE details within the application database. What happened this year, most of us were requested to send our grades via email as their was no column to fill them in during application.Therefore comrades, going through all those emails takes time......and that could be one of the reasons why its been 6months since their last communication to us. Coz lets face it, not everyone sent in their details in the table format as provided......I included. But i'm still hopeful i'll get invited to the next stage :)

ChegeAviator
9th Dec 2013, 16:12
Hi,

This goes out to those who've successfully completed the selection process.

Some of us have been out of high school for about 6 years so of course we are a bit rusty on some of the high school math, physics and chemistry. Personally my head is full of engineering calculus and physics but I struggled to complete some of the KSCE math revision questions in the Daily Nation. Determining chemical reactions, which was my forte in high school also posed a challenge, lol :O.

My question is, what areas of high school maths, physics and chemistry are tested on the aptitude test? I seriously need to sharpen those areas.

Cheers!

Kilo_Quebec
17th Dec 2013, 09:50
It's now half a decade since I was in high school. I'm not worried about math and physics- I've got too much Laplace, Fourier, Topology, etc etc.

Chemistry! I must be VERY rusty in chemistry right now. Yeah, I couldn't recall the chemical name of petersalt.

So our predecessors, those who made it and those who did not, KINDLY respond to Chege. I'm more interested in study areas touching on chemistry.

ION, pride of africa has received a new Embraer 190 here: https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151896608723800&l=4427100162

Aviatorette
17th Dec 2013, 20:48
I am with Aviator Chege on this. Where are our predecessors to shed some light on this mater? However, reading from previous posts on this thread, i was able to pick out pulley system, relative speed and some algebra

joystic
20th Dec 2013, 19:58
Hey fellow future pilots ;)
just applied and received the usual auto generated replies... so we wait mpaka after the closing date (31st dec) thats when i assume we can expect some communication.
Did anyone had some issues with step 3 (assesment) or was it just me...

Steve Carter
21st Dec 2013, 10:58
Meet too man.......it ws hectic:*

Aviatorette
22nd Dec 2013, 19:22
Hey @Joystic by assessment do you mean the questions that require you to confirm your qualifications? What issues did you guys encounter?

Jay36
24th Dec 2013, 03:42
Hi guys, I hope you're keeping well. I am part of the group that is currently going through the interview process. I personally applied in Nov 2012; the deadline was 31st Dec 2012. We were invited for the aptitude test on 22nd Feb 2013, which was followed by psychometric, psychomotor and medicals in quick succession between then and April. In may they confirmed that we had passed the medical tests(by then we were a group of 8 or 9). After that we didn't hear from them till Sept when they asked us to confirm whether we were still interested in the process, and we were invited for the orals the same month(we were joined by another group that had done their medicals in Nov 2012...to make a total of 17). We also did some online tests, conducted on behalf the schools. They then went quiet till yesterday when some of us were informed that we shall need to undergo a medical review since it has been well over 6 months since we did the medical tests. Unfortunately some of my colleagues did not receive the email and they had their applications terminated:-(. I am assuming the medical review shall be in January since they wished us a merry Christmas in the email:-D...and hopefully departure soon after. I hope this gives you some insight into the whole process. And clearly patience is a virtue you have to exercise for you to make it through the process in sound mind. Wish you all the best and a merry Christmas and prosperous 2014. Cheers!!!!

Aviatorette
24th Dec 2013, 07:34
Hey Jay36, thanks for the information and insight on rhe recruitment process. Were you part of the direct entry program or the ab initio? And is there any group that has left to SA this year? Congrats on your achievement and all the best in the medicals. Merry xmas comrades.

Jay36
24th Dec 2013, 08:21
Hi. Am ab initio. There's a group that left in May this yr, split between Aifa and 43rd. Thank you, and I wish you well too.

forbidden signal
24th Dec 2013, 11:34
Jay36, much respect to you for;

1. Being selfless.
2. Making it that far in Ab initio recruitment.

mutpeter
24th Dec 2013, 21:16
@Jay36. Thanks for the much needed information. I feel sorry for those whose progress were terminated despite going all the way.
@Jay36, just a thought, could the change of minimum requirements & the losses KQ suffered last financial year have to do with this occurence?

flaps17
25th Dec 2013, 15:52
hey jay36,congrats once again.please tell us what the online tests entailed, none has shed some light on the same thus far.or is it the ishihara tests?

Jay36
30th Dec 2013, 14:43
Hi flaps17, the online test was a set of 12 psychometric/psychomotor tests, testing; hand-eye coordination, ability to analyze data, speed & accuracy, ability to recover from a mistake and such...they were fair in terms of ease of tackling them and you shouldn't worry much if you make it past the psychomotor interview(3rd interview). I hope I have answered your question. Happy new year all, and I wish you well. Patience is key...we continue to embrace it even at this level..doesn't get any easier I tell you:-)

Jay36
30th Dec 2013, 14:54
Hi mutpeter, I can firmly state here that the change in the minimum requirements did not affect our group, at least not the degree part...because I know of at least 3 guys who made it past the orals yet they don't currently hold one-myself included. About the company's profits and losses, I honestly would be lying if I told you I know how that has affected the interview process.

mutpeter
30th Dec 2013, 17:00
Thanks @Jay36 for the information.
This waiting game can realy make one go insane. I can't think of anything else. One of the things I have learnt from this thread though is that PATIENCE is part & parcel of this process since we have no control over it.

Jay36
31st Dec 2013, 08:07
Just to update you guys on the current happenings, my group is meeting the aviation doctor Monday 6th Jan. '14 for a medical review.

Steve Carter
31st Dec 2013, 09:41
Hey guys, the day is finally hia when we get to have some communication with kq.... I urge that we should remain patient and continue updating each other on the better part of the procee.... I thank our veterans Jay36 on giving us
information on the ab initio process...lets be patient and stay together as a group....happy new years eve pilots n have a prosperous 2014....

Flier2463
31st Dec 2013, 10:07
Thank you very much all for the information. patience eventually pays. I'd love to wish everyone a happy and prosperous 2014. May your dreams and desires come to be!

Kilo_Quebec
31st Dec 2013, 12:33
Happy new year-2014-to all wannabes.

Steve Carter. I'm requesting a clarification from you.

In your post above, do you mean that you have received communication from KQ HR? or is the post with respect to Jay36 et al who have received communication from KQ?

I've checked my E mail and there is nothing from KQ. Kindly clarify.

Steve Carter
31st Dec 2013, 12:53
I have not yet received any info from kq nor any e-mail..... I was thanking Jay36 on his informative posts that shed light on the ab initio interview process...sorry for any misunderstanding,.. If I get or receive any info or e-mail, I will definately share it with u guys [future pilots]....@Quebec

Orindajeff
7th Jan 2014, 17:26
Guys as someone once told me stop dreaming and start flying..
I remember perusing this site for years on end hoping to get insight on how to enter the ab-initio program..Eventually i manned up and joined a flight school at Wilson airport am already sitting my ppl exams.. so i advice if you really want to do flying don't pin your hopes on kq...

gear up job
7th Jan 2014, 19:13
Well said Orindajeff and for those who will fail to cut the mustard, just look at your failures as the stepping stones to your success.

All the best Orindajeff.

ChegeAviator
8th Jan 2014, 06:08
The privately funded training route is one we'd all love to take but as I'm sure you know, the cost is very prohibitive to the average Kenyan. I personally would have gone the privately funded way if my parents/I could afford it and avoid being bonded to the company but unfortunately it is out of the question. At the moment, the only realistic way I can attain my license is via this program.

One of my life goals is to find a way of making flight school affordable to aspiring pilots because no one should have to give up what in my opinion is the best career in the world because they can't afford to study flying.

Orindajeff
8th Jan 2014, 10:01
Chegeaviator

All i can tell u is that Piloting isn't that expensive..
I have come to know that if you have passion for flying and you make people aware of the passion you will go along way..Remember that yes the program is very heavy and yes its only for the rich and mighty..But your humility goes along away..All i can say is start slowly by slowly.. Ground school costs only ksh 45000 max fifty thousand and if you join a good school you can pay in instalments..
You first do GS and complete then sit the exam and pass greatly all the six subjects.. by that i mean 90% and above..Then try getting like 500000 to fill in your hours for the ppl. After that sit the GFT and make sure you score A++..Remember ppl is the most important part of flying since it is theory based and knowledge based..Getting your cpl all depends on how many hours you fly then after..So all i can say is take the first step the GS.. After all there are many other organisations specially in Kenya that sponsor students but you must have done the grounds school exams and passed..Some also require you have a ppl..So I echo the words of my instructor again ..STOP DREAMING AND START FLYING.. Take the first step.

captain grimz
8th Jan 2014, 13:47
what happend to the guys who went for medicals on monday?

edwin88
8th Jan 2014, 15:01
Hey jay. Did you attend the medical review and any information from KQ since then.? I request that next time KQ calls your group to their headquarters, just enquire on when they may call us for the aptitudes. This waiting is killing some us,its almost an year now since we applied.:\

daladaladriver
8th Jan 2014, 15:44
Orindajeff makes a super valid point... the PPL isn't as far out of reach as one might think...it can be taken step by step, financially speaking. Real aspiring pilots won't just sit and wait for a call to join an airline cadet scheme... they can't wait forever to fly. How many of you wannabe KQ pilots have actually been up on an "introduction to flying" flight at your local flight school?

mutpeter
8th Jan 2014, 15:58
In the same line of thought as edwin88, those who have any kind of information regarding the interviews kindly share. This waiting, in my view has tested more than patience. Personally, I have deliberatly put other crucial matters on hold for the sake of this programme. I am now anxious whether it will ever kick off. Only God truly knows what's in store.
Nevertheless, cheer up guys & kindly contribute, especially those who have succeded in the Ab initio programme.
@daladaladriver. Struggling to start a race where you are not sure of finishing scares many people & can be frustrating. We are talking of large amounts of money here in a relatively short time. Again, are you sure of who gona employ you? That's why the Ab initio is the gateway for most of us, it solves many concerns at a go. Defenitly if we all had other means, we would be pilos by now. But that aside, kudos to @Orindajeff for his courage & determination to take the plunge.

gear up job
8th Jan 2014, 19:23
Guys pay attention to what daladaladriver and Orindajeff are saying. You are missing the point for those who self proclaim that being a pilot is their dream. Infact I think Orindajeff has shared some very useful insights on how you can start your career rather than waiting in vain.

Even when you are successful and join the program, there is nothing for free in this world. I think one is given a loan from the local bank to fund their studies. Mind you if you have bad credit rating you can't get the loan and if you fail to perform in your flight school and get dismissed, you still need to pay for the loan.

Rather than looking for all the excuses you can find, how about you talk to Orindajeff on how he did it and how you can leverage on his experience so far and get starting.

daladaladriver
9th Jan 2014, 03:44
Most of you guys are really patient, waiting for that call, but remember the age limit for this program! You don't have forever to wait... and then what... you be will just another person saying "When i was younger i wanted to be a pilot, I even applied to KQ". Visit a flight school just to see what the next step is if you don't get that call... props Orindajeff! Good job buddy

ChegeAviator
9th Jan 2014, 04:42
My statement seems to have been completely taken out of context. I actually went to Kenya School of Flying and 99's to find out their fees and if they have some sort of payment plan around October last year after the interviews were postponed again. I ended up sticking with KSF because it came highly recommended by most of my friends who've done flying at Wilson and they throw in a free gas turbine rating on the 208B if you start and finish your flying with them.

All they require is a down payment of Ksh415,000 then the rest can be paid in installments according to your access to the money. This kind of down payment is what made me say that it can be inaccessible to the average Kenyan. Those of you who are in the country and have gone through the public university system know that asking an aspiring pilot who could hardly afford his JAB fees and is still neck deep in HELB loans to fork out this kind of money and then more to complete his course is quite far fetched.

That being said, I started a deposit account after settling on KSF where my parents and I are slowly saving up for the first down payment; and should I attain it before KQ calls for the interviews, I will start at KSF as I wait for KQ.

Orindajeff
9th Jan 2014, 04:44
If you have any questions my numbers are 0727771735 or 0788348359 ..am not marketting my school but to be serious taking the step to train your self really need great encouragement and support. I also aspire to start a scheme to help others make through..for now i have to complete my ppl first then i can tell what next..Please make the first step..and fly..

edwin88
9th Jan 2014, 05:41
hey guys.a request to those who are talking of funding themselves for the piloting career,please don't make some of us feel as if we fooling ourselves around by waiting upon kq alone. we could realy wish to fund ourselves privately but unfortunately we cant be capable of doing that. we know the waiting game here is agonosing but we have no options. if the kq door does not open up to us,we will look for other options after attaining some stable jobs, save a little then start privately funding ourselves.

I don't mean to be rude but its taken some of us a great deal and God's intervention to even attain the degrees we have via the jab system and so if that was a problem, how then do i raise all that sum to privately fund myself. kq offers a chance to a person who has a dream and great passion for flying and cant even be in a position to know how that dream will come true.

Its quite a great deal to fund yourself and congratulations to those who have taken that route but please please don't make some of us feel as if we doing something wrong by waiting upon kq.

captaincharles
9th Jan 2014, 08:57
I applied for the pilot training oct. last year i.e. 2013 when i was a fifth year student of Geomatic engineering and GIS at jkuat. I have now cleared the course awaiting graduation around mid june, 2014. considering that the minimum requirements for the training had been hiked to a bachelors degree, what are my chances? who else out there might have applied? have the KQ contacted anyone?

captain grimz
9th Jan 2014, 10:08
i read somewhere on this thread the shortlisting being done in december 2013 and the interviews on 14th january.now my question is as for the shortlisting its okay its on their site but on the interviews where does that information come from?

Kilo_Quebec
9th Jan 2014, 10:47
Hi captaincharles. Ensure you can prove to KQ that you will graduate. On how you'll do that, I've got no clue. Oh, := maybe you can show them that you have no assignments pending.

Captain grimz, ---> Pilot Breezy can inform on that.

forbidden signal
9th Jan 2014, 14:19
Well, only an e-mail can bring back the very essence of this thread.:(

If KQ takes forever to invite fellows for interview then, please moderators, lock this thread.

And they say KQ is 3rd best airline in Africa but why dont I see cadet programs for SAA and ET?

Jay36
9th Jan 2014, 18:10
Hi guys, apologies I have been unable to update you after we went for the medical review. So it turned out that 13 of us made it past the oral interviews(including the online tests). Today we went to Co-operative Bank to fill in the loan application forms. We have information from trusted sources that we could depart for studies in the coming week. 7 of us will join Progress Flight Academy while 6 will go to AIFA. It's a big congratulation to the team..and we hope that our completion of the interview process will pave way for the next batch to start. Keep the hope up. I wish you the very best, whether you choose to try it out on the KQ program or train privately. Feel free to ask any question you may have about the process. Cheers!!

captaincharles
10th Jan 2014, 09:46
hi..i will be able to get a letter from the dept. showing that. that wont be a problem to prove

flyber
11th Jan 2014, 06:14
Has KQ replaced 43 Air School with AIFA? From what I understand, 43 has a course starting Jan 12 and no group heading there. Any pointers?

Magnate
11th Jan 2014, 17:03
Congratulations to the 13 who have been successful to join the two schools. When you travel, please remember to change the cash you have into either dollars or rands, the banks around here don't exchange KSH. Also remember to carry with you movies, games, etc..anything that can keep you occupied during the periods after exams.
To the 6 AIFA guys, my group and I are waiting for you, "mje na mazuri" :)

Aviatorette
11th Jan 2014, 17:15
Congrats once more on your achievement. One question though......amongst the 13, are there any ladies?

Yahaya
13th Jan 2014, 08:27
Hello guys. I have been following this thread carefully since July last year. I applied for the program in July. I have been waiting for this thing for sevens months now!

I graduated from University of Nairobi in August. Just to give you some info on status of unemployed youths. Last year, I applied for an advertised Livestock Research job. 239 people applied! The organisation only needed 15 researchers. So, I just want to let you know that maybe 1000+ people applied for this program. But take heart because the first thing that cuts people off is the reputation of the university they attended. The grades then follow.

To those people who are jobless and are hoping for this program, put your very best. HELB is gonna come for your neck soon.

Students face rise in loan rates as Helb plans bonds - Corporate News - businessdailyafrica.com (http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Helb-students-face-rise-in-loan-rates-/-/539550/2143610/-/14sgeev/-/index.html)

Cheers.

captaincharles
13th Jan 2014, 09:10
congratulations to that group and all the best in your training. Looking forward to join you soon. if you did it, why cant I?

kasa
13th Jan 2014, 14:18
My thumb is up for all of you guys after that great achievement,keep that spirit during your studies right from ppl all the way to Atpl,remember to chat with us on this thread coz we will be seeking your direction on certain matters as we wait our interviews to begin soon.Thanks.

jameselevun
13th Jan 2014, 19:34
Congratulations to those who have made it to go to S.A, the work only begins from here, the road is tough and requires determination!!as those going to progress will soon discover!!!carry many movies and series!!!Port Elizabeth weather has a way of keeping guys on the ground!!!

Jay36
14th Jan 2014, 13:17
Thank you all for the congratulatory messages.
@Aviatorette, unfortunately there was no lady in our group, though that should not serve to discourage anyone. Ladies have made in previous groups, including Magnate's group that left in May last year.
@flyber, from what we were told, there are some issues that KQ needs to iron out with 43rd flight school and hence are not sending any group there this time round.
Thank you @jameselevun, are you at Progress?

gear up job
15th Jan 2014, 03:43
Has Kenya Airways put on-hold AB-Initio program for 2014 and beyond? I have just noticed they are not advertising for it in their recruitment portal. They have advertised for the Direct Entry Program closing on 31/12/2014.

Does it mean they have attained enough pilots to stop the program? Or is it what jay36 mentioned earlier regarding the current issues K.A has with the relevant Flying schools in SA, has promoted them to focus more on the Direct Entry Program?

I am just throwing all the possibilities out there. Curious to learn what's happening.

Jay36
15th Jan 2014, 04:11
@ gear up job,kindly note that I mentioned an issue KQ. had with 43rd flight school...NOT ALL THE SCHOOLS. Whether, they have put the program on hold or not, I do not know.

Kilo_Quebec
15th Jan 2014, 07:02
landing gear up...thats a possibility..at the same time I've in mind that the 2013/14 ab initio was posted towards the end of previous fiscal year. So it's possible they'll post towards end of this quarter which is ~2months & 2weeks away.

The LCC jambo jet might be a boost for ab initio in the coming years. I was reading on IATA website an interview with KQ CEO. Interesting points raised concerning LCC etc. Competition between KQ & ET is working against them viz onslaughts from gulf carriers. Here is the link:

IATA - CEO Interview - Kenya Airways (http://www.iata.org/publications/airlines-international/february-2013/Pages/ceo-interview--kenya-airways.aspx)

Now, I hope the interviews are conducted SOON, before the current CEO goes. A CEO changeover can attract those noisy journalists & politicians who mess up with almost everything.

gear up job
15th Jan 2014, 10:08
Correction noted jay36 and all the best in your future lad.

Kilo you are right. Time will tell us which direction the company will be heading.

peejmaniak
16th Jan 2014, 05:50
when did the recruitment for those 13 in SA BEGIN

psera
17th Jan 2014, 13:56
Hello, i wanted to ask whether KQ will have this program me this year, does any one have any information on this?

I've looked at their site and there are no ads about it?

And now I see they are asking for a degree, what if the mean grade of the subjects required are not met? Do i still have a chance of getting in, even if i have a degree and meet all other requirements apart from mean grade of the subjects needed?

Yahaya
20th Jan 2014, 13:05
psera, the ad closed 480 hrs ago! "just" WAIT' until they post. Once they post you may wait for a whole year before you can go for first interview. I guess you have seen on this thread that there is a mammoth group awaiting shortlisting/aptitude.

On the grades issue, I read somewhere in this thread of people who gave it a shot even with a B in some subjects (when a B+ or above was required). Some even made it. But the high school grades requirement is fair wrt graduate ab initio. If you joined campus in 2008 or 2009, the JAB cut-off was around [weak B+/strong B plain.] I noticed you said grades of subjects required. I hope you dont mean that you have less than B in all the three subjects. Anyway, give it a shot.

I can see that frequent posters here are running out of steam. well, that e mail is gonna be the ultimate source of impetus to keep this thread going.

Aviatorette
20th Jan 2014, 15:28
Now this is a new record for patience, not even a smoke signal from KQ. Today i was forced to visit the recruitment portal just to confirm that my application was still active.

Anyway, if anyone gets any communication from them....dont forget to post it here :ok:

edwin88
21st Jan 2014, 05:56
hey all..lets hope that after the jay36's group has left for south,we will be called.cant' wait for hat particular mail.any information pertaining the departure date jay.?

forbidden signal
22nd Jan 2014, 09:08
KQ is firmly back into profit making business. Atleast for the next 3 years [before 2017 elections]. Its shares are trading at Ksh 12.95-13.10. An all time high price range for the half decade.

KQ is performing satisfactorily well with regard to project mawingu. Right now, KQ has 45 aeroplanes [according to job description on careers website]. With the 787 this March/May, that will tick the counter upwards. According to project mawingu, KQ should be having 50 planes by now.

http://www.kenya-airways.com/uploadedFiles/Global/About_Kenya_Airways/Investor_Information/Investor_News/10%20year%20Strategice%20Plan%20.pdf

Their is a light at the tunnel's end.

forbidden signal
22nd Jan 2014, 09:20
The signal has been censored by pprune. :} My messages take long to be displayed. So, I'm out of this thing.
Adieu! :}

AMS
22nd Jan 2014, 13:44
Any information on what to expect on interview (aptitude tests) day.

What tests do KQ make you do

BOLT KIPCHUMBA
23rd Jan 2014, 19:21
Stage 1: Aptitude
form 4 mathematics
simple chemistry
mechanical reasoning
general knowledge
mathematics (quadratic expressions and speed)
basic high school physics

MissQueen
24th Jan 2014, 04:55
would also like to know that

MissQueen
24th Jan 2014, 07:01
wanted to know if you were finally called for the interview
:)

marwon
25th Jan 2014, 07:09
We are pleased to invite you for an interview (aptitude test) which will take place at the Kenya Airways Head Office Old Airport Road on 4th February 2014 at 07.45 am.

Please report to the reception where you will be directed to the interview venue.

You are requested to bring along your Original National Identity Card NOT Passport , and all your academic and professional certificates including original “O” level certificate (KCSE/GCE/IGCSE), log book,license, performance A and Gas turbines .

Please take note of our minimum requirements as indicated below .

Minimum requirements for pilot recruitment.

o KCSE Minimum educational qualification of KCSE mean grade C or GCE OR equivalent with at least grade C/Credits in English, Mathematics, Physics or chemistry or Physical science

o Grade “A” aeroplane performance rating.

o Kenyan CPL with Multi IR (instrument rating)

o Gas turbines

o Minimum of 250 Actual Flight hours(Minus Sim) Accident/incident free

o Minimum height of 5ft 4 in

o Must possess strong inter-personal, communication and organisational skills.

o Must be strong team players.

o High integrity.

Kindly confirm your attendance by return mail.

Regards

HR

Pilot Recruitment

nominated_pilot
25th Jan 2014, 11:04
That sounds like the direct entry and not the ab-initio group being called for the interviews.

edwin88
25th Jan 2014, 14:29
i too do think what marwan is talking of belongs to the direct entry guys.any ab initio guy who has received an invitation?

captain grimz
25th Jan 2014, 14:57
from their site it was indicated that the direct entry shortlisting will be in january 2014 while that of ab-initio will be in december 2013..how is it then that direct entry be called before ab-initio.?or is the ab-initio off?

Flier2463
26th Jan 2014, 14:27
indeed it's the direct entry group...I must admit, it sounds sweet! Hope the ab initio will be soon...

captaincharles
27th Jan 2014, 17:11
Anyone else who got the mail??

joystic
27th Jan 2014, 19:59
yea captaincharles, Ive received the email for the aptitude test too.... Anyone else?

captain grimz
28th Jan 2014, 04:53
received it too 6th feb

Aviator David
28th Jan 2014, 05:27
Hi Aviators,

To those who've received emails: is it Direct Entry guys? or Ab-Initio guys? or both?

Any Ab-initio guys who have (NOT) received?

Enjoy your day!

captain grimz
28th Jan 2014, 05:54
mine is ab-initio 6th feb

Aviator David
28th Jan 2014, 06:10
Hi Captain Grimz,

One more question: when did u apply for ab-initio? and when did you receive the email?

Thanks!

Aviator David
28th Jan 2014, 06:12
Anyone else besides Captain Grimz who has received email inviting them for Ab-initio interview?

Thanks!

ChegeAviator
28th Jan 2014, 06:20
Hi guys. A good friend who applied for Ab Initio got his invitation email yesterday and I haven't gotten mine. I applied on the day it opened, i.e. March 22nd and got the email on June 11th asking me to fill a table with my academic details, which I did and sent. Could they be sending the emails one at a time or does anyone know exactly what is going on? And yes, I do surpass all minimum requirements.

joystic
28th Jan 2014, 06:21
Mine too is ab initio

Morritz
28th Jan 2014, 06:37
just wondering, will the KQ HR accept letter of completion instead of the degree for those who completed last December?

Aviatorette
28th Jan 2014, 06:50
I'm also yet to receive an email. Hopefully it's on its way

Kilo Quebec
28th Jan 2014, 07:29
The precious email has eventually found its way to Mr. Kilos palms. Ab Initio it is.

@aviator david. The direct entry will be grilled on 4th and the ab initio will be grilled on 6th.

To the familiar folk i.e. aviatorette and chege. Keep hope alive.

Where are other ppruners? where is steve carter and edwin88?

Last comment. To folks who are yet to receive mail, did you score 100 in the online test?

KQ has requested clearly in the mail that I go with Original degree, ID (not passport) and KCSE certificate.

mutpeter
28th Jan 2014, 09:01
I am yet to receive one too. Congrats to the guys who have been invited. Kindly be updating us as you progress on the process ahead of the rest of us.

captain grimz
28th Jan 2014, 09:22
@aviator david i applied in early december and got the invitation yesterday

captaincharles
28th Jan 2014, 09:58
Who knows what to expect.. Naskia hua wanarudia maswali. If there's anyone in here. Who can help us please..

Aviatorette
28th Jan 2014, 10:45
From my own analysis, it seems like those people who applied later in the year 2013 have gotten the emails while those who applied around March didn't.....
Is there anyone who applied around March that has gotten the email?

iman007
28th Jan 2014, 11:06
hi guys am wondering if there is anyone who has received an email to attend the aptitude test on 4th feb 2014 and had applied for the direct entry and they may not have all the minimum requirements but still got the invite?

iman007
28th Jan 2014, 11:12
hi i got one of this for the direct entry but i dont have one of the minimum requirements so am just wondering if i should attend or not cos they might not let me start the process:confused:

LOPA
28th Jan 2014, 11:54
Tried unsuccessfully until medicals in 2006, last year got called in but the interview was scheduled 3 days after i turned 25. This is my last chance, time to conquer or lay down my sword

ChegeAviator
28th Jan 2014, 12:51
When did you apply? Talked to a pal who applied in March, a few days after I did and another who says he applied around June. None of them have gotten the invitation email. I really hope everything's ok...

LOPA
28th Jan 2014, 13:55
I applied in september, hope you did put in your KCSE subject grades (Maths, Physics, English)

Aviatorette
28th Jan 2014, 14:10
@ChegeAviator. I applied in March, got an email in June asking for details and I replied accordingly.

Aviator David
28th Jan 2014, 15:02
To guys who've received the ab-initio interview invites, when did u receive? Did they all come in same day, same time or are they sending in batches? Are there some who received yesterday and others today?

gear up job
28th Jan 2014, 16:11
Hi iman007.

Congrats for being called for the interview for DEC. If you know you haven't meet all of the minimum requirement, don't risk it. Best is you let it pass for now and apply when you have everything.

Congrats to all AB INITIO who have interviews next week. For those who are still waiting, don't loose hope. All the best.

gear up job
28th Jan 2014, 16:16
Hi all

For those who have received emails for interviews on the 4th of feb, could you please use below PPRUNE link for DEC.

This thread is for AB Initio Pilot Recruitment.

http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=8288482

Thanks.

Morritz
28th Jan 2014, 16:38
Hi, I think we are in the same boat (or plane in this case) i.e done with the system but not yet officially graduates. Do you intend to attend the interview? Anyone else in the same predicament?

edwin88
29th Jan 2014, 04:50
hey pals,,congratulations to guys who have been called for the aptitudes..i too applied in march last year but I'm yet to get that all time precious (if not awesome) mail inviting me to that old north airport road place. just hopeful that the long time wait won't culminate into nothing. to my fellow guys who are yet to get the mail,lets keep the hope because i also know a couple of guys who applied back in march and are yet to get the invitation.
but honestly speaking my patience signal is blinking red.:\

chrisfuyo
29th Jan 2014, 05:24
to my hopefuls. you are not alone. a friend of mine and i who meet the requirements applied but as of yet haven't been called. can't describe the feeling. i hope they are calling in batches...

mutpeter
29th Jan 2014, 07:23
I too applied in April & still waiting for that email. I think my patience is also turning into anxiety. Those who may have more information, kindly update us.

captaincharles
29th Jan 2014, 09:11
I will go for the interview.. Do you have the completion letter? When do you expect to graduate

Darthveda
29th Jan 2014, 10:14
Iman007 check your private mail.

ChegeAviator
29th Jan 2014, 10:53
It looks like the above-mentioned are the same ones who got the random email in June and for some reason haven't received their invitation email. My patience had worn completely thin by last evening, so earlier this morning I gave HR a call. It took quite some time to get through but I eventually did and the response I got was least helpful, in my opinion. The lady sternly explained to me that it was against company policy to disclose their recruitment procedures. So she "reassured" me that the process is free and fair since it's done online and that I should be patient. She also said that she'll pass my concerns to the people concerned with the shortlisting.

My prayer is that they're calling in batches and that we'll be invited by Friday. I can't imagine having to wait some more months for the invite! Let's keep hope alive!

forbidden signal
29th Jan 2014, 11:28
Chege you say "for some reason..."

Could the reason be the FACT that Kenya Airways might be after FRESH graduates only? Did you graduate in 2012 or in 2013? Ofcource this is a rhetorical question.

ChegeAviator
29th Jan 2014, 11:49
@forbiddensignal. KQ opened the graduate application in March. I specifically applied for it because I cleared uni in December 2012, got my degree (JKUAT) June 2013. I don't know about the rest on the forum, but my 2 friends who also haven't gotten the email, one who applied a few days after me and one in April are also recent graduates and meet the high school requirements. In short, we're all eligible for the program.

Morritz
29th Jan 2014, 13:39
I expect to graduate this June. Letters of completion from our department (TIE) just acknowledge one did the final exam in December and that the results will be out by March. I don't know how helpful that is. And if one is barred from taking the aptitude test, is that considered a failure hence the 24 month ban?

nyash
29th Jan 2014, 13:48
I also did apply in march and my patient is running out:ugh:.My prayer is we be called for the interviews before their financial year culminates.

captaincharles
29th Jan 2014, 15:21
Seems u were at jkuat like me. I was in Gegis and i only have the same letter from dept. Tomorrow i will be going there to see if they can give me something more formal. But either way i will still go for the interview with the transcripts and trying to convince them.

BOLT KIPCHUMBA
29th Jan 2014, 17:28
Having gone through the process previously, I must admit that KQ really test your patience as well. They might keep silent even till May, but once they call u for the interviews, everything is done speedily. stop being anxious guyz, aptitude entails most high school stuff, mechanical reasoning, quadratic expressions, simple mechanics, some chemistry, some simple physics. capitalize on relative speed, (this is the speed of two moving bodies in relation to each other). Its not hard, but time is the major factor, learn to be very fast with the calculations. All the best peeps!!!

joystic
29th Jan 2014, 17:54
Thanks for the heads up kipchumba... Btw did you require a calculator for the tests?

Flier2463
29th Jan 2014, 22:16
Thanks Bolt, ladies n gentlemen ...u heard the man. Let's be easy...all will be well. No calculators please ... so I heard!

Morritz
30th Jan 2014, 02:58
Should you obtain a more concrete document please inform me. All the best.

Morritz
30th Jan 2014, 03:04
Now that the minimum requirements were changed, isn't it also possible that the aptitude test content was revised?

chrisfuyo
30th Jan 2014, 06:49
@Chegeaviator. thank you for calling them man. at least you gave us some insight. i doubt it the supposed invites have anything to do with the time of graduation. i graduated on dec 6th and meet all the requirements. and friend who also applied and meets the cut graduated 4years ago. we both haven't as of yet received the invites

captaincharles
30th Jan 2014, 16:35
I was at the dept today but unfortunately the chairman nor the dean of school could accept to issue me with another letter until the results of last sem are out. They however adviced me to go with all transcripts and incase kq would need to confirm with the university, they are willing to respond.
All the best too and to all of us.

ChegeAviator
31st Jan 2014, 15:29
My invitation came in like 5 min ago. Have any of you who hadn't got it received?

forbidden signal
31st Jan 2014, 15:58
Congratulations sir. When are you going for the aptitude? Is it on 6th?

Aviator David
31st Jan 2014, 16:25
Congrats Chege,

What date and time have u been invited?

To the rest of us waiting for that precious email, let's keep hope alive. Now is time to refresh your mail and monitor the SPAM email folder.

ChegeAviator
31st Jan 2014, 17:00
Yes I have been called for the 6th. I hope those who are still waiting get their invites soon. This week has been very rough, to say the least. All the best guys!

Steve Carter
31st Jan 2014, 18:02
Hi guys, first of all congratulations to the guys invited for the amptitude tests....success in your exams...on the other hand I am wondering which criteria kq is using to shortlist...i applied in march and yet I have not received an email...i hope to get one soonest...lets continue praying..

ChegeAviator
31st Jan 2014, 18:59
Hey guys. For those who still haven't received their invites, maybe try send an email explaining your situation to the address that sent you the email in June asking you to resubmit your educational details. That's what I did on Wednesday and when I realised that they weren't replying, that's when I called HR. It's a shot in the dark, but it may help.

Flier2463
31st Jan 2014, 19:11
I think they send the emails in batches...applied in March n it came through at half past 7 this evening . all will be well.

Steve Carter
31st Jan 2014, 19:29
@chege aviator: do u have the email address they sent u the email with concerning the subjects matter...if so pliz post
Thanks

ChegeAviator
31st Jan 2014, 19:40
@Steve Carter, the address is [email protected]. Please take note of how they've spelt ab initio.

edwin88
1st Feb 2014, 04:51
congratulations chege and flyer2453 on your invitations for the interviews.i must acknowledge you guys are feeling great after all that long wait.for us who are yet to receive it lets keep the hope.

Brainiarc7
1st Feb 2014, 07:59
Ladies and gentlemen,

Lets' meet on 6th. Got an email yesternight at 9 P.M.
Lets' keep it tight, watch out for our brethren, and make it to SA together.
The future's bright.

Flier2463
1st Feb 2014, 09:20
thanks man, it's just the beginning. yours should be coming in today ...hopefully. keep the faith man, it's coming through!

BOLT KIPCHUMBA
1st Feb 2014, 17:54
Whats up PPRUNERS?
for those going for the aptitiude, first thing arrive at the offices very early, get there before 7 AM. Next thing, have enough sleep the previous day so that on the aptitiude day, you are very fresh. By the way, if you are below 5'4'' or above 6'4'' be ready to be turned back.

to me what proved to be hard was quadratic expressions, story za tangents and gradients, expressions of finding X and Y, relative speeds and simple physics principles kama magnetism and electricity, and some chemical knowledge.

Just relax and concentrate, and have stability mentally. To avoid being hurt, expect the worst so that when the best comes you can smile. I have not received the mail personally, but am still waiting. All the best aspiring pilots.

Aviator David
2nd Feb 2014, 07:38
Thanks for the info Bolt Kipchumba.

What stage did u make it to?

Magnate
2nd Feb 2014, 11:31
:D Congratulations to the guys commencing their interviews on 6th. I remember being in the same situation as you guys (and ladies) back in late November 2012; juggling end of semester exams with the tests.
On the material day, just be relaxed, fast and accurate. With having 60-120s to tackle up to 30 questions in some of the sections, there definitely will be some pressure. Just aim to do as many as you can, and do them right. When the examiners will be doing basic introductions to the sections, if you do not understand something, feel free to ask for clarification. There is no feeling as bad as getting halfway through a section and noticing you didn't really understand what was required of it.
All the best ahead. looking forward to meeting you in the skies :)

Yahaya
2nd Feb 2014, 12:40
Hello Magnate, you mean I'll have a minute or two to answer 30 questions? or is it that a question ought to be answered within a minute?

captain grimz
2nd Feb 2014, 12:53
any help on the topics one should prepare on apart from algebra,quadratics and relative speed in maths

Magnate
2nd Feb 2014, 13:30
You guys should not worry or be afraid. The questions are simple-the high school form one and two kind. For some you don't even have to write them down-you can do mental calculations.
In case you need more clarification just drop me a PM i forward you the topics I documented during the interview stages.

Once again, its form 1 and 2 stuff, so just be cool and relaxed on the D-day and you will 'cruise' through.

Aviatorette
2nd Feb 2014, 14:45
Congratulations to all those who have been invited to take the the aptitude tests. I'm yet to receive the email but i'm still hopeful I'll be contacted soon. To the rest of my kind, lets not give up

Thierry14
2nd Feb 2014, 19:58
@Aviotorette, did you receive any email last year asking you to fill a table with personal information?

Aviatorette
3rd Feb 2014, 05:10
@thiery14 yes I did and I filled it in accordingly, then sent it over to them

JBO
3rd Feb 2014, 05:56
Hey, can anyone furnish me with KQ HR contacts? I have another promising interview on the same day, so doubt if I'll make it for the aptitude test. What time can one finish, assuming they get there by 7:00?

edwin88
3rd Feb 2014, 06:12
hey guys,
must say after a whole year waiting, i feel like having lost hope and cant wait any longer. i admit this thing can cause one a heart attack if not ulcers. to the likes of aviatorette, nyash, kasa, bolt and anyone else who didn't receive our invitational mails,what do you guys feel.? what if kq are planning to have just one group this year, will we have to wait till next year, our accounts still read active applications and does this mean we might be called later in the year if they decide to do so? :confused:
somebody kindly give hope please..