PDA

View Full Version : MANCHESTER - 5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

Scottie Dog
19th Jan 2008, 10:41
And I thought you were a nice guy!!

As a travel agent, can you please explain why when I arrange payment at month end to the airlines my commission earnings are approximately £400 on a turnover of £100,000. If travel agents support an airport because of the earning from scheduled carriers then you are very out of touch.

The majority of IATA carriers have paid 0% commission for a number of years - and even the few that did are becoming fewer. Add to that the fact that British Airways even have the audacity to charge the agent a fee of 50p or £1.00 (depending on class of travel) for every sector booked if we wish to have access to all of their fares, and you will see that travel agents are far less likely to support an airport for purely financial reasons.

Hey ho, it's a weekend and I've had enough of talking about work. Time for coffee and then back to the world of aviation as a hobby.

Ian Brooks
19th Jan 2008, 11:15
Quite agree Scottie, any monies made on air bookings are from management fees charged to the client for the work done by the agent, so doesn`t matter if it is a BA/AF or Easyjet flight as they are treated the same way

Ian

MUFC_fan
19th Jan 2008, 19:47
Looks like the long haul routes were still going strong during Dec 07!

MAN-SIN 15874 90%!:eek:
MAN-DXB 42210 80%
MAN-AUH 13986 86%
MAN-DOH 14469 83%
MAN-EWR 17897 85%
MAN-ATL 11406 89%:eek:

These are just a pick of the bunch. Other US destiations keeping the loads up and Pakistan still fighting strong.

Lets hope we see an increase in flights to these destinations over the next 12 months! Cannot believe the destinations above havn't either been upgraded to larger aircraft or have frequency increases!

There is time...:ok:

Ringwayman
19th Jan 2008, 21:28
Don't for get that SQ bumped up frequency this winter back to daily and QR were meant be increasing capacity to A330-300s.

Most of the airlines will want to see these kind of occupancy rates maintained for a reasonable (12 months minimum) length of time prior to them boosting capacity or frequency. Besides, we know both SQ and EK are suffering from a lack of equipment...this could be a good thing, as the extra 3 flights SQ are looking at become more likely as and when loads stabilise around the 90% to 95% mark; EK would probably be in 2 minds - a 3rd service means an A330 which could otherwise be used for a new route or an A380 onto EK17: the effects of either would result in around an extra 450 seats each day to be filled!

QR and EY would probably want to bed in their services further - what they plan is open to conjecture. Being fanciful, if QR are interested in EDI at 4 weekly operating 2 morning and 2 evening services, perhaps it might not be out of the realms of possibilty that they may be looking at other services to boost frequency.

CO and DL are probably going to be restricted in upgrading aircraft whilst they are after potentially more lucrative services that require the range or configuration of larger widebodied aircraft.

MUFC_fan
20th Jan 2008, 08:34
The December figures were for a daily SQ flight.

About the EK increase. You could say that about their last increase. Remember, they started with only one A310 (don't think it was even daily!). Then came the A330, double daily A330, daily A330 and daily B77W and now look - two B77W! Obviously, there is a limit to how big the market will grow and we can't expect all the carriers to grow and there are simply not enough people wishing to travel! But I would expect EK to be at the top of the list for wanting to collect as many passaengers as possible!

I agree with the CO/DL comment. I would also like to add that if the proposed DL/NW merger was to go through, wouldn't it be quite soon that we would see a NW service? I know that they are getting alot of PAX passing through AMS with them via KLM but surely a daily 752 would get them going? Most routes from MAN do seem to go either one way or the other - total disaster or exceptional.:ok:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So what are we expecting (wanting;)) over the next twelve/eighteen months?:

Air Asia - Kuala Lumpar
Air China - Beijing
Cathy Pacific/Oasis Hong Kong - Hong Kong
MASSIVE EASYJET EXPANSION!:}
EK/QR/EY/SQ increase in frequency/aircraft type?

Ian Brooks
20th Jan 2008, 09:03
I think Ringwayman was saying that Dec 2006 SQ were only 5 weekly
so that is why there is a large increase

Ian

MUFC_fan
20th Jan 2008, 09:54
They are not the increases year on year, they are the load factors.

viscount702
20th Jan 2008, 09:59
If my memory is correct SQ was still daily in December 2006.It went to 5 Weekly on 18 January 2007 until daily was reinstated ay the end of October 2007. The increase was small but still an increase over the previous December

Viscount

Ian Brooks
20th Jan 2008, 11:10
Viscount
Yes I think your right it was after new year

Ian

viscount702
20th Jan 2008, 16:23
QR are adjusting timings for summer

D0900 357
D1445 1246

all 333 ex Sunday

Viscount

Vuelo
20th Jan 2008, 20:13
Can you explain those new timings more clearly please? Are the arrival times at MAN from DOH changing?

Playamar2
20th Jan 2008, 20:25
Vuelo

Looking on the airlines website shows arrivals at 0720hrs on Wed,Fri Sun.
Other days arrives at 1315hrs.

Vuelo
20th Jan 2008, 20:48
T2 will be hideous with EK, QR and PK all arriving within the same hour. That would make me use EY instead as T1 is always almost empty when I arrive on the AUH there!

Suzeman
20th Jan 2008, 23:43
Its basically a big plastic tent over a frame, so its not as permanent as it looks.

Seems like a very fancy plastic tent if the end paragraph of the press release below is to be believed....:}

The Concorde aircraft will soon be undercover in a £1.1 million 'super hangar' and visitor centre. Work will start on the 68 metre by 38 metre, glass, steel and high tech PVC structure in the next few weeks, and it will be completed and open to the public by the end of July.
The airport's aviation viewing park receives around 250,000 visitors a year with Concorde G-BOAC its central attraction. The new home has been designed to protect the aircraft, and its fans, from the elements. It will showcase the former British Airways supersonic plane, which has been at the airport for the last five years.
Andrew Holl, Manchester Airport's operations director, said: 'Concorde is very close to our hearts here at the airport and we know that her many thousands of visitors feel passionately about her care for the future. We have been working on this proposal for the last year and are all very excited that the first spade will be going in the ground in a matter of weeks.'
'The hangar will not only protect Concorde for future generations to enjoy, it will also provide a great day out for the thousands of people we expect to visit in the future. We're especially pleased as it will mean that visitors can come to the viewing park in all weathers, knowing that they can see our exhibits and runways without being exposed to the elements.'
The development will also include a corporate hospitality suite capable of housing up to 75 delegates, an education centre for school tours, an aviation exhibition and a glass-walled visitor restaurant alongside Concorde with views of Manchester Airport's busy runways.

TechProblem
21st Jan 2008, 02:36
Talking of airline expansion, Flyglobespan seem to be coming back to MAN in May of this yeah.
Starting with Vancouver on the 12th, Calgary on the 16th and Toronto (YHM) on the 27th.

This with Vancouver twice weekly and Calgary/Toronto once weekly.

I hope they bring there own a/c to the party this year, but I think we will see the likes of NEOS again. :rolleyes:

MAN Guy
21st Jan 2008, 19:19
"Talking of airline expansion, Flyglobespan seem to be coming back to MAN in May of this yeah"

Brave move after last years performance.... they best hope that any potential returning passengers from last year have short memories :eek:

All gone quiet on the WW front it seems, can we assume that now C0 have confirmed WAW for next summer that its just business as usual and MAN's anticipated expansion is all off again?

bmia330
21st Jan 2008, 19:27
No, expect two new routes to be announced this week from WW! No idea as to where, but the boss said it would be announced this week!

Vuelo
21st Jan 2008, 19:35
Madrid and Amsterdam I would imagine. They'll leave Poland alone now C0 have got a grip on it this summer. AMS is holding out for a loco now that LS have one, and MAD is desparately needed.

chiglet
21st Jan 2008, 20:02
I heard that it was Dublin and Milan....but I could be "mis-informed"....
watp,iktch

airhumberside
21st Jan 2008, 20:15
If it's DUB and Milan, baby must have a death wish. Assuming they would use Bergamo for Milan, both routes would be head on with Ryanair. As has been seen before, FR dont like competitors in the Ireland market (Go GLA/EDI-DUB, EZY LGW-SNN/NOC/ORK, MyTravel Lite BHX-DUB)

en2r
21st Jan 2008, 20:16
I heard that it was Dublin and Milan....but I could be "mis-informed"....
watp,iktch
Dublin!!!!!!!!!!
Aer Lingus and Ryanair both fly four times daily on the route. They'd slaughter Baby on the route!

MAN Guy
21st Jan 2008, 20:25
Hopefully it won't be Milan! This route has a notorious record of those who have tried and failed from MAN. It can obviously sustain one carrier but has always had difficulties sustaining more, although FR might just pull it off as they are well known at least, unlike Volareweb who tried recently.

FlyZB
21st Jan 2008, 23:10
Dublin and Milan?? No, surely not! Baby have more sense than that don't they! Vuelo's earlier suggestions of AMS and MAD would be good. KLM need some competition on Amsterdam. They're brilliant for connections but finding a cheap day return or short weekend break with them is an extremely difficult task!

MUFC_fan
22nd Jan 2008, 18:18
Also think AMS and MAD are good choices. To markets definately needing an LCC and WW can meet the demand perfectly!

Now that Ray Webster (previous CEO that made EZY what they are today) is an 'advisor' for WW, could we see more routes in the coming months? I would be very surprised if we didn't see some restructuring!

Vuelo
22nd Jan 2008, 20:23
I understand Jerez is one of WW's possible new routes from MAN. Interesting choice.

Ringwayman
22nd Jan 2008, 21:39
They might be able to make Jerez work better than ZB given that they'll have fewer seats to sell and so not have to offer so many seats at the cheaper end of the scale.

The SQ increase -based purely on 5 weekly in summer, now back to daily. The loads may be there, but we saw what SQ want prior to looking at 10 weekly - consistently high demand. Many months at 90+% loads, then we're talking business!

SuperStewardess
23rd Jan 2008, 00:02
I have to say that RW (former CEO of EZY) actually totally ruined the airline in my opinion. He never 'made the airline what it is today' He completely & totally f##''?d it up. Never seen an airline in such disarray at the hands of someone who actually said that 'cabin crew are only glorified checkout chicks' & the flightcrew are 'overpaid drivers'. At least our current CEO makes us 'generally' feel like valued proffessionals. Bring it on, WW doesn't stand a chance! The futures bright, the futures orange! ;)

Flightrider
23rd Jan 2008, 14:57
Oasis HK four-times weekly 747-400 HKG-DUS-MAN from June.

MANFlyer
23rd Jan 2008, 15:23
Very disappointing to see MH have announced a twice weekly service to LGW with a 2 class 772. That tells us all we need to know about whether they would come back to MAN. I would imagine the rumours of Air Asia X or whatever they're called starting flights to KUL putting paid to that.

I think you can also forget CX if Oasis start a MAN service as mentioned above.

Great stuff. :mad:

GLENO
23rd Jan 2008, 15:32
Flightrider........more details if you can please?

source of info??? nothing on thier website!!

MUFC_fan
23rd Jan 2008, 15:37
It does seem that it is the turn of the LCC revolution at MAN with Oasis, easyJet and AirAsiaX coming.

This will definitely increase PAX numbers but could this spark other airlines into action? With more LCC carriers approaching the airport, could we see a growth from a UK airline?

Anyway, congrats to MAN for a start on the HKG, lets hope the route can become daily and non-stop in the future. Looks like the route came before other airports that I would have thought would defiantely be higher up on the list than MAN such as NYC, OAK, SYD etc. but I suppose mixing two regional airports in the UK and Germany seems a very good starting point. Can't wait to see another red 744 in MAN!

GLENO
23rd Jan 2008, 15:49
MUFC fan ..am i missing something here??...Has there been an official announcement on the Oasis Route?

MAN Guy
23rd Jan 2008, 16:51
Great news for MAN if Oasis Hong Kong comes off..... any further details available from anyone?

MAN was on "the list" from Oasis Hong Kong but I must admit I thought there were a number of other cities that were lined up for a service before us?!

Shyted
23rd Jan 2008, 20:15
MANFlyer

We have potential flights starting to HKG and KUL, does it really matter who operates them.....

MANFlyer
23rd Jan 2008, 20:30
To me ?. Of course it does. While I do travel to both KUL and HKG, I also travel to many onward detinations that are well served by CX and MH. Being stuck on SQ is not exactly the worst thing in the world granted, but it would be nice to have a choice.

I was hoping - vainly I know as we are witnessing MAN slowly morph into a bucket & spade/LCC hub - to see either or both MH and CX (re)start scheduled services, so I could use their respective hubs to travel around the Asia Pacific region, which I currently do an awful lot.

init
24th Jan 2008, 14:35
Full page advert for WW in tonights MEN has Faro as a destination from MAN. Nothing on Baby website about it being launched, and its not bookable. Anyone know if its to be anounced in next few days??

Mister Geezer
24th Jan 2008, 18:29
That is fantastic news if Oasis are coming to Manch. I had the pleasure of flying with them last month but the journey does drag on with the connection at LGW! Their Business Class product is excellent value for money!

mickyman
24th Jan 2008, 21:18
For Gods sake calm down you adolescent wassacks!!!!

This silly season is really producing some LOL posts
on here.........

Can you engage the brain before you post any more
of your wild school-boy wish lists entries or is that
asking too much of you?

MM

GLENO
24th Jan 2008, 21:19
Oh please!!! tell me this is not true.....Bmibaby to Faro?? ....Don't Jet2 have this in their programme for Summer?

GLENO
24th Jan 2008, 21:23
Mickyman....what are the lol posts then???

MUFC_fan
24th Jan 2008, 21:26
Oh please!!! tell me this is not true.....Bmibaby to Faro?? ....Don't Jet2 have this in their programme for Summer?

Aswell as TOM, ZB, FCA, MYT... The list goes on.

The advert maybe alot like the LS adverts which advertise 'Rome, Geneva, Budapest, Tenerife' from MAN and BLK (whereas only one of these is actually served from BLK.

Could the advert you saw concern other WW bases aswell?

MAN Guy
24th Jan 2008, 21:33
Yes Gleno Jet2 have Faro in their summer 08 schedule as do Monarch, not to mention the multitude of charter flights that will operate on this route in high season.

Odd WW would want to join the party on this route rather than trying to capture a new market from MAN....... still, nothing definite announced as of yet so lets wait and see!

mickyman
24th Jan 2008, 22:00
GLENO

1775/1776/1777/1780/1781

1786/1788/1790/1791/1792

Fiction as fact..........

MM

viscount702
24th Jan 2008, 22:29
If you look at the gaps in the summer timetable, I think XRY and FAO are unlikely but not entirely impossible. Something closer would be more likely and something which isn't served by another LCC already. I believe we will just have to wait and see. Maybe Friday?

Viscount

GLENO
24th Jan 2008, 22:31
Post 1791??

Seems a bit unfair, when Air Asia have stated that they would like to operate into either Man and Stansted and Oasis have Manchester planned as a destination on their website,according to another PPruner who emailed me yesterday Oasis applied for slots on the 19th JAN to operate on days 124and 6 in 9.10 out 11.50......if this comes off great.

one more thing......you from Liverpool by anychance??:}

Code 100
25th Jan 2008, 08:01
Anybody know where Solo City is? MYT have had a few arrivals from there over the week. I know there is one in Indonesia, but it sounds more like one of these North American skiing destinations e.g. Deer Lake. Anybody got any info?

tigermike
25th Jan 2008, 08:06
Solo City will be the one in Indonesia as the aircraft are positioning back from hadj lease.

Code 100
25th Jan 2008, 08:08
Thanks Tigermike

Wont be going skiing there then!

mickyman
25th Jan 2008, 08:24
GLENO : 1791

Its a bit like saying your going to win the lottery
sometime...........but wild conjecture without any
concrete evidence that can be referred to is not
fact its fiction.
Where is the info about these NEW services that
I/We can access ??
If this fiction turns into fact then evidence will
surface........fine.

Plucking services out of the air that YOU would
like an airline to start is fanciful nonesense.

or in terms of this site its the 'silly season'.

MM

Cargocat
25th Jan 2008, 08:42
Solo City's official name is Surakarta. The city sits on the river Solo in Central Java.

Code 100
25th Jan 2008, 12:09
CargoCat and tigermike,

Thanks for the info. Found the airport in question, code SOC.
Official name: Surakarta (Solo) Adi Sumarmo Wiryokusomo.

Is that MAN's longest-named 'destination'?

rampman
25th Jan 2008, 14:01
cx cargo are cutting 6 flights a week from there opperations and flybe are only having 9 aircraft instead of 12 based for the summer season

rampman:ok:

Shyted
25th Jan 2008, 14:13
Gleno,MANFlyer and Mickyman,

I dont know anything different to you guys about these two carriers coming to MAN, however i am not a rocket scientist but have came to the conclusion that if an airline puts on its website that they have MAN as a future destination then i put 2 and 2 together. Why would they do that otherwise.
I think we all know in our minds that CX and MH will not come back to MAN as long as i have a hole in my ass.
My point is, that if Air Asia X and Oasis start MAN flights its better than nothing at all. In the mean time you can fly on both CX and MH from LHR like all the other MAN pax have to.

I am not saying anything else on the matter.

init
25th Jan 2008, 14:39
The bmibaby ad had a map of Europe with lines drawn from Manchester to the 12 current destinations + Faro. No other UK base was shown. So not like the general ads used by Jet2.

zenoracle
25th Jan 2008, 17:51
My Manchester Evening News tonight carries an Easy jet advert with no Malata but with a Corfu on its destination list, make of these adverts what you wish.

mantug01
25th Jan 2008, 18:31
Is there any truth in the rumour that all RHS staff were told today that they are fully shutting up shop in less than 60 days?

Its been running wild around the airport today.

Musket90
25th Jan 2008, 20:25
Don't know the timescale but I heard they are shutting up shop

spanishflea
25th Jan 2008, 20:29
Yup, 59 days apparently, which presumably is commensurate with the notice they have to give employees?

bmi expat
25th Jan 2008, 20:31
Apparently the advert in the MEN was incorrectly put together, FAO is not a new WW destination from MAN. The new routes were originally going to be release this week but something has "cropped up" and delayed it.

DeltaIndiaSierraPapa
26th Jan 2008, 00:07
They are not "fully" shutting up shop. The Apron bus drivers and the trolleys are still gonna be around but I reckon they will be working directly for the PLC.

mantug01
26th Jan 2008, 09:15
It would make sence for RHS to stay open with a small workforce, as DeltaIndiaSierraPapa said they provide all the trolley collecting staff and bus drivers, do they also still provide the drivers for the airfield paramedics?

It would be very hard to find the staff to replace these essential services in such a sort time. Let alone someone to take over their current airlines!

Man_User
26th Jan 2008, 10:01
With some huge contracts under RHS's belt i think some of the staff/equi will TP over to whoever gets the contracts. Flybe is a big one, will FS take it on with VLM just starting up in FEB. :rolleyes:

spanishflea
26th Jan 2008, 11:51
Yup, FS have got FlyBe. Will be interesting to see how that one plays out...

rampman
26th Jan 2008, 16:48
OK JUST TO PUT SOME RUMOUR STRAIGHT

its true ringway handling are to close if there is no way of saving the company by the 18th feb that is when the consultation period is up. Then they have to give 60 days notice to the airlines except one which is 90 days.

ringway could be asked to stay on beyond this time by the airlines if no other handling agent has been found.

flight suport only have flybe check-in and dispatch at this moment in time but its logical to say they will put a tender in and win the ramp handling

the front of house back of house trollies and transfer baggage drivers are not affected by this but as rhsl is closing they will all be transferd over to the plc under the mag's umbreller

there is no tp for the staff of ringway they are shutting and all equipment will be sold who ever gets the contracts will have first offers on that equipment i.s flight support if they get flybe will have first offer on the tugs belts and baggage trucks

rampman :ok:

Mister Geezer
26th Jan 2008, 21:05
Man Flyer

To me ?. Of course it does. While I do travel to both KUL and HKG, I also travel to many onward detinations that are well served by CX and MH. Being stuck on SQ is not exactly the worst thing in the world granted, but it would be nice to have a choice.

I was hoping - vainly I know as we are witnessing MAN slowly morph into a bucket & spade/LCC hub - to see either or both MH and CX (re)start scheduled services, so I could use their respective hubs to travel around the Asia Pacific region, which I currently do an awful lot.

Can't see where the problem is? On the face of it... Oasis would still take you to a CX hub and with the lower fares that are associated with Oasis... you could still be far cheaper booking your connection with CX separately than effectively booking a through ticket if you traveled with CX for your entire journey!

mybrico
27th Jan 2008, 00:33
Just in answer to using a thoro fare with CX. I live in Manila but its the same for most HKG connections (TPE etc). Its cheaper in C class to book thoro with CX or BA to LHR than go with Oasis. On HKG to London Oasis are cheaper. I stopped using Oasis because their timekeeping is not the best and with limited departures and aircraft you can experience considerable delays. Everynight from LHR you have 6 HKG departures (2xCX, 3xBA, 1xVS) and others during the day. From MAN the best connection is BA to LHR and then onward. An Oasis service via Dusseldorf in C class cant compete.

MancRy
27th Jan 2008, 02:10
An aleternative service can always compete........on price. And on routes such as from MAN, such a service offered by Oasis would be popular.

comet 4b623PW
27th Jan 2008, 10:52
Has anybody got any passenger figures as to where the people who use BA and BD services to their LHR hub transfer too.

BA figures will be interesting to watch as it transfers most of its opperations to T5. Part of the reason for building T5 is so it can offer a transfer hub all under one roof.

Cannot see T5 or BA,s product enticing many passengers away from EK,s services to Dubai and that,s just one example.

gayrugbybloke
27th Jan 2008, 11:07
Has anyone any idea if GSM will be using T1 or T2 this summer, or who their hadling agent will be?

Tower1
27th Jan 2008, 14:14
Proposed routes on the oasis map shows Manchester,Cologne/Bonn,Milan and Berlin, in Europe.
Text version, says licenses have been applied for all the above,except Manchester.
Tower

MAN Guy
27th Jan 2008, 15:03
Are we to expect a WW announcement regarding the long promised additional routes from MAN in the coming week after last weeks non-event?!

mickyman
27th Jan 2008, 15:15
lets hope there are no embarrassing silences from those that have posted here of various new services to operate from Manchester over the summer months and beyond when no such services begin...........

(to be read in a long monotonous drone without stops to gain a general
air of boredom!!)

MM

GW76
27th Jan 2008, 15:15
"Are we to expect....."
No.

jongeman
27th Jan 2008, 16:22
mickyman - there's nothing new in reading about non-existent new services. This dross stops people from posting and even reading this, and other forums. It's been going on for years.

GLENO
27th Jan 2008, 21:31
Mickyman..........can you tell us all if you will be the first to eat your own words if these services do appear??............I seriously doubt it!!
Now do us all a favour crawl back under your electric blanket and keep warm until the summer and see what it brings........

FlyZB
28th Jan 2008, 00:10
Hear Hear! Surely the whole point of a rumour network is to create some excitement and intrigue. I'm not saying we should all post a load of nonsense on here. If I came on tomorrow saying BA will announce 25 long haul routes out of MAN in the next 2 years, I would deservedly get shot down! But posting information on hearsay and future developments that are a possibility gives us all something to talk about. Don't go rubbishing what people say without any hard facts to disprove it. If we shoot down every single rumour on here, then there won't be any thread left. There is a strong possibility of Oasis arriving at MAN within the next 12 months. I can say that in the knowledge I have heard it from sources other than here. By no means I am saying it's definate but it is possible. Now if I kept that information to myself until they made some sort of announcement, where would the fun be in that! Little rumour snipets are designed to keep us all happy. Well... most of us anyway!

Curious Pax
28th Jan 2008, 11:28
Heard a suggestion at the weekend that the BA hangar has been cleared out. Anyone any idea what the plans are for it?

gazza007
28th Jan 2008, 11:31
Just my luck!!! my flight to LHR BD589 13:25 has been cancelled, good job I checked. No point going to MAN, so got through to CS & now on 16:50.
Is this the usual fog delays & empty flight scenario? Any info out there?
2nd time in a row this has happened with BD, last time it was coming back.
BA to LGW or VLM to LCY next time I think, less hassle

mickyman
28th Jan 2008, 11:46
GLENO

I will not have to eat my words either way because I was posting a
perfectly reasonble question.........

FlyZB

I take your point and agree but it seems some posters have wishlists.

MM

ManofMan
28th Jan 2008, 15:39
Just my luck!!! my flight to LHR BD589 13:25 has been cancelled, good job I checked. No point going to MAN, so got through to CS & now on 16:50.
Is this the usual fog delays & empty flight scenario? Any info out there?
2nd time in a row this has happened with BD, last time it was coming back.
BA to LGW or VLM to LCY next time I think, less hassle

Delays and cancelations were down to FOG this morning at EGBB/EGKK/EGLL/EGGW/EGSS and flow rates being introduced causing backlogs and cancelations.

MAN777
28th Jan 2008, 16:50
Regarding the BA hanger, I am sure I saw a Dragonair 747 nose in between the doors today ? If so its the first aircraft thats been in it for years hopefully someone has seen sense and will start using this asset again, its a disgrace that its been allowed to stand idle for so long.

spannersatcx
28th Jan 2008, 18:34
KA 744 has a broken flap, they got the nose of the a/c in before being stopped and told it can not be used for a/c, no insurance. It will not be used for a/c either, airport had it returned off lease from BA last week, it will be used for storage by all accounts. A/C now back on the ramp waiting bits.

GLENO
28th Jan 2008, 19:16
Just a quick word, page 43 Mail on Sunday....Article on Oasis Airlines

Quote from Captain Trevor Jones Discussing new routes with the author of the article Tom Chesshyre......

"Manchester to Hong Kong could happen soon":ok:

That's all Folks.......

Suzeman
28th Jan 2008, 20:18
The BA hangar has been kept closed until now as BA - or somebody -would have had to pay higher rates on it if it were used. I think the charge is reduced for empty buildings. There was an attempt a couple of years ago by the Airport to find a user for it but all to no avail. So now that the airport have it back, what is to be stored in it - anyone know?

If Oasis have applied for slots - see post 1802 - then surely this means they are getting serious. I know we have had innumerable instances of slots being applied for and then binned; however this has come in well after the slot conference and must mean that they are looking at a MAN operation in some detail. Next good rumour needs to be that they have been talking to handling agents...;)

tigermike
29th Jan 2008, 09:53
This was posted on another forum:

'qoute from an internal email, so no source available:

'It is with great pleasure that Oasis Hong Kong airlines are now able to tender cargo contracts on their up and comming routes:

Hong Kong-Oakland-Hong Kong (15/5/08)

And

Hong Kong-Dusseldorf-Manchester-Hong Kong (18/8/08)

The aircraft used will be a Boeing 747-400 passenger jet capable of carrying up to 3 tonnes of belly cargo.

All tenders interested can send off for an information pack from: '

I have no idea of its correctness, but this is a rumour network:)

Suzeman
29th Jan 2008, 10:26
Treat this one with a degree of suspicion as a 747-400 can carry a lot more than 3 tonnes of belly cargo - unless it is weight limited out of DUS ?

Suzeman

Egerton Flyer
29th Jan 2008, 13:56
Hi All,
Just got this via e-mail.

Thank you for your email.

We are yet to confirm our flight services between Hong Kong and Manchester and hope you can bear with us. We suggest that you keep visiting our website for regular updates. Alternatively, you are welcome to subscribe to myOasis AirMail advert removed to receive our latest updates and promotion details via email. Enter the “myOasis Login” link, which is located on the top right corner of our home page and follow the instructions online to register.

Yours sincerely

Natalie Ling

Oasis Hong Kong Airlines

Read into this what you will !!.

Mickey Man get ready to eat those words:p:yuk:
E.F.

edmond64
29th Jan 2008, 16:40
Treat this one with a degree of suspicion as a 747-400 can carry a lot more than 3 tonnes of belly cargo - unless it is weight limited out of DUS ?

limited due to baggage rights put first.

chiglet
29th Jan 2008, 21:09
limited due to baggage rights put first.

Pardon?? :confused:
The EK with 400+ pax usually carries 18+ tonnes of freight, the ETD,QTA also carry "significant" freight 10+tonnes
That means that there is a lot of excess baggage :=:D
watp,iktch

MUFC_fan
30th Jan 2008, 15:52
When I returned from LAX with BA in 1999 I visited the cockpit and the captain told me he was carrying 22t of cargo on a full flight from LAX to LHR. Now thats a heavy plane! I will always remember that moment as it was when I realised that a B744 is as big as it is!

Could it be 30t and be a typo or is that too much?

edmond64
31st Jan 2008, 08:08
The airline probably can only garantee 3t on each flight, but if the space is availiable they will carry more.

FlyZB
31st Jan 2008, 16:25
Just had an annual development meeting in work. Lots of things discussed including a new 10 year development plan for the Terminals and Airfield but as these are still in the early planning stages, it is probably best not to discuss the proposals at this time. All I will say is, massive overhauls are planned for the T1 piers and also for T3. What I can tell you for definate is, as of July, the current outbound control in T3 will be closed permanently and the new domestic security area will be extended and all T3 departing passengers will use this.

With regards to routes, I have the following information. Oasis Hong Kong have been in town and had several discussions with the airport. At the minute talks are ongoing and the management say the chances of a June launch are 50/50. Elsewhere, EZY have specified they want to operate from T3 but the airport have currently been unable to allocate them this terminal as it will require another airline moving out. And WW are stalling over the announcement of new routes because of lack of slot availability at the proposed destinations. Unfortunately, which destinations they are looking to launch was not disclosed.

Thats all for now.
ZB.

Ex Cargo Clown
31st Jan 2008, 16:40
3T is one pallet, there is plenty more space than that in the L/D of a 744.

MidnightMoonlight
31st Jan 2008, 18:56
Does anyone know why its so busy tonight, i mean it must be very as i live right near lpool airport and can see loads of planes coming over and sacking up,they then swoop round and head back to MAN, i looked on the website and indeed its a very busy time,there not going LPL.why they coming this far?

viscount702
31st Jan 2008, 19:04
GB are in T3 and I would assume EZY will contine in T3 from March.

Therefore why do they wish to go to a Terminal they are already in or is it a case that if and when they decide expand perhaps next winter T3 is where they want to stay but there isn't the capacity to take expansion until someone moves out. No new routes then until this problem resolved which isn't likely to be soon. In fact isn't it a question that there isn't enough capacity ( gates that is) at the right time at any terminal and only T2 has some room for more PAX. MAPLC should have gone ahead with T2 expansion as they planned and announced over a year ago.

On another topic does anyone know why the C0 flights to WAW from APRIL in the morning depart one hour and five minutes before the A/C arrives from GDN.

Viscount

Scottie Dog
31st Jan 2008, 20:20
Don't know the answer to your question with regards to C0, but the slot handback deadline was today so we may have answer shortly - maybe they are hpoing for a rejig of their slots, but that might annoy a few people who have already booked!!

FlyZB
31st Jan 2008, 20:55
EZY have yet to be assigned a terminal but the idea was to place them in T1 to help take some of the pressure off T3 at peak times. However EZY have requested that they want T3. The airport have not said no to this request but they are looking at ways to reduce the peak throughput in T3 before they confirm that EZY will operate from here. Eventually it is true that all LCC's will be based in T3, as generally this is where they want to be because of the close proximity to the runway. FR will be staying put in T1 for now but I believe one of the conditions of them expanding from MAN is that they move to T3 at some point. As I said in my previous post, there are huge expansion plans to be implemented over the next 5-10 years across the whole airport site. T3 will see a major overhaul in which the size of the terminal will be doubled and my reckoning being that it will just be a cheap, empty shell ideally suited to the LoCo's. This was indeed what Michael O'Leary requested in an interview with the MAG directors last year. Bmi have already shown an interest in moving back to T1 because of the improved facilities the redevelopment will offer. AA will probably follow with a bit of persuasion. Paving the way for T3 to be all Low Cost. It will happen. But not just yet...

Scottie Dog
31st Jan 2008, 21:03
And if Flybe continue to reduce the number of aircraft to be based then there will be even more chance for the LCCs to move to T3.

I hear BE MAY be trimming back to single figures - but IF they use larger aircraft than the 145 in general the number of seats on offer could be similar.

MidnightMoonlight
31st Jan 2008, 21:04
so are you saying MAN wil see more airlines wanting to come here over the years, and huge expansions of the terminal.i dont know were else they could expand too.fingers crossed.

airhumberside
31st Jan 2008, 21:21
If BE do make further reductions, could routes be up for the axe as well as frequency reductions?

Vuelo
31st Jan 2008, 21:50
Seems FlyZB and I were at the same meeting. Exciting develop[ments indeed for the airport, including a brand new pier arrrangement for T1 and extension for T3, though not necessarily in the direction most of tou would imagine!

I got the feeling also that Air Asia didn't seem imminent at all...what did you think FlyZB?

viscount702
31st Jan 2008, 22:37
Scottie Dog

Why would C0 apply for slots for flights if the slots they apply for or get don't fit in with their proposed schedule.

The schedule has been published for sometime now and even they must see that the scheule won't work with the timings they have published, unless there is more to come of which we have no knowledge which I doubt. Further a Departure at 0715 maybe fine for a based or night stopping A/C but not very likely for an incoming A/C on turnround. To Depart at 0715 it would need to arrive at 0630 based on C0 45min whereas at the moment it is not due to arrive until 0820 To Depart at 0715 it would mean a very early start from GDN probably too early. Either the deparure to WAW is going to have to be put back to about 0900 which maybe difficult or the flights canacelled.

We will have to wait and see . In fact thinking back when they first came the initial schedule they published had to be changed.

Viscount

FlyZB
31st Jan 2008, 22:50
No news on Air Asia. All has gone quiet on that front. The airport management have made it pretty clear that they anticipate passenger numbers to remain flat for 2008 and any growth will come from the low cost sector. The consolidation of charter carriers won't help passenger figures this year. MAN has identified that short term growth has to come from LCC's. The future proposals highlight this and more information regarding a very exciting project for T3 will be available within the next 6-12 months. I expect long haul services to be developed but at a much slower rate than most would like and this is why the airport has identified the arrival of EZY and growth from FR as a means of improving passenger throughput. The airport is talking to certain long haul carriers regarding routes right now. I can confirm this as definate. Oasis is the current strongest candidate and I can 100% tell you from inside sources that they are seriously considering MAN as we speak.

Vuelo, sounds like you have access to the same information as me. The future proposals for the airport are extremely exciting, particularly the plans for the T1 piers, and for anyone believing that the MAG board are sitting on their a*se watching the airport rust to the ground, I can tell you that you won't get any further from the truth. Watch this space...

mickyman
31st Jan 2008, 23:05
Did Air Asia renew their sponsorship of a certain football team ????

MM

MANFlyer
1st Feb 2008, 19:38
Sad to say SQ are apparently going back down to 5 x weekly from winter schedule. This time we are losing Wednesday and Friday ex-MAN, the latter being a real PITA for yours truly as it was my main outbound, despite the remote gate hassle.

They are also bringing the departure forward in a few months to about 0920 to connect with the new early SYD flight.

Gutted about losing two weekly flights, loads have been fantastic and yields are the best they've ever been. Even the latest Tuesday and Thursday departures are up over 80% loads. I think this finally puts to bed any 10 x weekly and 77W rumours.

This bloody airport's cursed for decent long haul options...:{

GLENO
1st Feb 2008, 20:10
What the hell are they doing??????:ugh::confused:...

MAN Guy
1st Feb 2008, 22:19
Not good news about losing the daily SQ for the second time in as many years.

High fuel costs, relative lack of higher yield traffic and faltering economies worldwide do make marginal routes like MAN look rather shaky for a legacy carrier such as SQ...... still lets hope things stay stable enough for SQ to keep up with the 5x weekly from the winter :sad:

jongeman
2nd Feb 2008, 09:18
The SQ website isn't showing any reduction in frequency, as yet.

MUFC_fan
2nd Feb 2008, 09:51
Neither does the OAG website. Still SQ/VS 772 daily.:confused:

Vuelo
2nd Feb 2008, 17:16
Don't know where this SQ rumour has come from as Servisair, their HA at MAN know nothing about a winter 08/09 reduction in flights.

MANFlyer
3rd Feb 2008, 10:52
I got the news personally from one of the SQ regional sales managers who came to see me on Friday. Bearing in mind they had only been told by HQ that morning themselves, it's hardly surprising Servisair don't know.

We nearly lost a flight for summer as well, but seem to have got away with that...

Ringwayman
3rd Feb 2008, 16:09
Why would SQ increase frequency at the start of the winter timetable from 5 weekly to daily only to drop it back down to 5 weekly at the start of next winter's timetable. It does not make a lot of commercial sense if they are trying to keep on top of the MAN-"hub"-Australasia market:confused:

MUFC_fan
3rd Feb 2008, 17:58
To be honest, from March I would rather use BMI to LHR and take the A380 all the way to SYD!:ok:

On a serious note, I agree. Why would they reduce when their load factor is exceptional on a daily basis?! Doesn't make sense, unless they are short of a/c which is the only reason I can think of.

spannersatcx
3rd Feb 2008, 19:39
Like most airlines I guess it would depend on the yield, high load factors don't always equate to high yields. Just a thought.

MUFC_fan
3rd Feb 2008, 19:49
I would be very surprised if they aren't getting high yields up front in the business class cabins! The fares aren't the cheapest when compared to EK but they do offer a service way above any other airline.

Scottie Dog
3rd Feb 2008, 22:43
Anybody able to give further information as to the WIP during the above period. Seems quiet a long period for routine closure.

Thanks in advance.

Scottie Dog

ls_jet2
4th Feb 2008, 07:48
There'll be lots more such closures over this year at least, as far as I know. There's major lighting and surface works to do.

Scottie Dog
4th Feb 2008, 11:38
Quote... "Runway 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There'll be lots more such closures over this year at least, as far as I know. There's major lighting and surface works to do." End Quote

Is Jet2 - you refer, I think, to Runway 1 :confused:, however I am refering to the closure of Runway 2.

Scottie Dog

Musket90
4th Feb 2008, 13:03
Concrete bay repairs at the 23L end.

busz
4th Feb 2008, 15:30
If i were an airport planner, i would completely demolish pier C, rebuild pier B but extend it so that it meets up with the south end of T2, that way you would have one long gates area and passengers would be able to transfer betwene terminals airside. You could also then have parallel taxyways going to/from T2, and have drive though gates between the 2 taxyways to enable fast turnarounds.

However i am just a lowly pilot so dont get a say in these matters....

ls_jet2
4th Feb 2008, 18:27
Sincere apologies, one day I'll learn to RTFQ:\

FlyZB
4th Feb 2008, 18:55
I work at MAN and was invited to a planning meeting a few weeks back. Included were details of a 10 year plan for the airport. Much of what was said is still in the planning stages and therefore I wasn't going to post anything specific until a time when more detail is available. But I can tell you that included in this 10 year develoment plan was the demolition of 'B Pier', which would be reconstructed as a double decker pier with the departures level currently at the same level as it is now and an arrivals level on top. All 'B Pier' gates will have airbridges and stand 12 will have a dedicated A380 lounge. 'C Pier' is also to be redeveloped with the construction of an upper arrivals level in order to open up the gate areas on the current departures level and remove the need to go down and back up again to reach gates 22, 24 & 26. A T1 - T2 airside link has also been proposed which will allow transfer pax to be able to connect between the terminals more easily and will also allow T1 airlines to use T2 gates during the demolition and reconstruction of the T1 piers.

TSR2
4th Feb 2008, 19:22
Thanks for that information. A double level pier with arrivals on the top level will make it one hell of a treck from the aircraft to baggage reclaim, but I'm sure there must be benefits in other ares. Brace yourself for many complaints in the coming years from those passengers who only think short term and cannot cope with inconvenience.

FlyZB
4th Feb 2008, 20:10
Well, on 'B Pier' it wont be so much of an issue because arriving passengers currently have to go up a level to cross the bridge over the departure lounge and Alpha Tax Free shop. So the new upper arrivals level would link directly onto that bridge and passengers would drop back down to immigration as they do now. The new airbridges on 'B Pier' would be built at a height in between the departures and arrivals levels and have sloping walkways connecting the airbridges with the 2 different levels, in a similar lay out of the gates on the piers at Malaga if anyone has even been there. I agree that on 'C Pier' it would be a bit of a trek as passengers will come off the airbridges at the current departures level, go up to the new arrivals level and then drop down again to immigration. There is no way around this though, other than demolishing 'C Pier' completely and designing a new system. As with anything, you cannot please everybody and there will be people who will disapprove of the plans. But the fact that the aiport has identified the current problems of the T1 piers and hopes to resolve these issues within the next 5 years is a positive step forward.

Vuelo
5th Feb 2008, 07:47
As I understand it, gates 16-18 and the BMI lounge will also come under T1 and a wall built after the lounge to segregate the ternibals.

Arriving passengers at these gates will then be bussed to immigration or domectic arrivals at T1 (carousel 7).

GavinC
5th Feb 2008, 10:59
So, are we looking at an expansion of T2 to accomodate more aircraft whilst the T1 piers are being redeveloped?

MAN777
5th Feb 2008, 11:00
Once again it seems the airport is going to get a bolt on compromise fix, when what is really needed is a bulldozer and a fresh start.

I have family who come over from Canada, they love Manchester Airport because they think its "Real quaint" (said in broad canadian) "we love the village atmosphere" (read "old shabby chaos")

Dont often criticise my workplace, but having recently visited some great terminals recently, (Madrid and T5 LHR) I am really becoming ashamed of the place.

deanofs
5th Feb 2008, 12:47
Hi

Can anyone tell me which of the runways is closed for repairs

Ta

Localiser Green
5th Feb 2008, 13:09
05R/23L (i.e. "Runway 2") is closed until 1st March due WIP.

AircraftOperations
5th Feb 2008, 14:57
Couldn't have picked a better time, with half-term next week.

FlyZB
5th Feb 2008, 15:55
MAN777, I agree with you in certain respects but bulldozing T1 and starting again simply isn't an option. The only way this could be achieved is by constructing a temporary terminal first or by building a completely new terminal on a different site and then demolishing T1 altogether after that and leaving that site empty. Both are extremely costly and whilst I agree that it would be the only real long term solution to certain problems, the money simply isn't there to undertake a project of that size. The demolition of 'B Pier' in itself will cause an incredible amount of disruption. So much so that the airport will probably have to spend 15m on a link between gate 22 in T1 and gate 202 in T2 just so T1 flights can use T2 whilst 'B Pier' is rebuilt. That in itself will cause minor problems when you consider the walking distance between say the current airside food village in T1 and gate 205 in T2. Anything on a larger scale is just a no go.

GavinC... T2 'West Pier' will be extended so that gates 216-219 will be part of the terminal and connected by airbridges. This scheme has already been given the go ahead and will start shortly. This will allow gates 201-205 to be used by T1 carriers without affecting the T2 operation too much.

Localiser Green
5th Feb 2008, 16:53
Gatwick manages with one, and has 20% more movements. I'm sure Manchester will cope.

Suzeman
5th Feb 2008, 17:39
So much so that the airport will probably have to spend 15m on a link between gate 22 in T1 and gate 202 in T2

If you look at artists impressions for T2 in the late 80s you will see a link between these two locations. But it was deleted during the "value-engineering" phase...:(

This link will help during the projects that FlyZB outlines, but will also benefit the flexibility of terminal allocation later, especially where the peaks of terminal useage are not simultaneous.

Suzeman

Fuel Boy
5th Feb 2008, 17:58
GavinC... T2 'West Pier' will be extended so that gates 216-219 will be part of the terminal and connected by airbridges. This scheme has already been given the go ahead and will start shortly. This will allow gates 201-205 to be used by T1 carriers without affecting the T2 operation too much

This extension has been planned for ages will be very surprised when it starts:bored:

I also thought that there were plans to build a terminal in the middle along 235 -247 but might be wrong!!

Rumour has it that B pier will be built in 2 halves.

Fuelboy

FlyZB
5th Feb 2008, 18:20
Suzeman, indeed that is the idea because the T1 morning peak is usually between 6 and 8 whereas the T2 peak is between 9 and 11 when most of the transatlantics arrive and depart. So of course, it could also work the other way and we'll see T2 aircraft using 'C Pier' on T1 rather than having to go remote. Although the creation of 4 new gates (216-219) in the next 2-3 years will remove the need to use the bussing gate 300 as much. I doubt the airport would spend 15million on a link without it having a use after 'B Pier' has been rebuilt and 'C Pier' remodelled but I know for a fact that this is being carefully researched at the minute. There are doubts over how messy it could get if T1 airlines are boarding off T2 stands and vice versa. It would of course create an easier journey between terminals for transfer passengers but MAG won't want to spend 15m on a new link for that reason alone. Interesting times ahead that's for sure.

Fuel Boy when the T2 extension was being talked about, there were plans to build a remote pier at stands 235 - 247 with an underground subway linking the main terminal building with this satellite terminal. Indeed if you look at a recent A to Z map of Manchester, this subway is marked even though it was never constructed. Recently, this remote pier was talked about again with the idea of low cost carriers using the satellite which would have very basic facilities similar to the satellites at STN. But this idea has yet again been shelved and a big project for T3 as a Low Cost terminal is now work in progress instead.

mickyman
5th Feb 2008, 18:56
FlyZB

The proposed T3 works that you mention are they the
plans that had Ringway road 'swallowed' up and concreted
over upto the Airport hotel and back to the railway with
stands for low-cost operators being quick turn-around gates
without a pier? (Getting rid of the 'aeroparks' along Ringway
road - ofcourse).

I seem to remember seeing these plans posted on here a while
ago - or it could have been another site?

MM

StoneyBridge Radar
5th Feb 2008, 20:21
If you look at artists impressions for T2 in the late 80s you will see a link between these two locations. But it was deleted during the "value-engineering" phase...

....as was the full length taxiway for 23L/05R :ugh:

FlyZB
5th Feb 2008, 20:35
Things are still very up in the air regarding T3 and several ideas are on the table at the minute. This is the reason why I haven't really gone into any detail regarding T3 as yet. What I can tell you, is once the T1 & T2 security and retail developments have been fully completed by Spring next year, the focus will shift completely onto T3. Mickyman, that particular plan you mention is definately one option although they are favouring building a pier now in a cul-de-sac style design. It will indeed mean that the road and car parks will be constructed upon and under that particular plan, a new checkin hall will be built over the approach road and connect onto the current short stay car park. There are several other ideas being tossed around though, so once I have more detail and providing its not top secret, I shall let you all know. T3 is definately where the 'exciting' development will occur from 2010 onwards. Expect to see huge changes and major expansion of this terminal to cater purely for LCC's and nothing else. You will see minor changes in T3 this Summer. International outbound control is moving to the Mezz, where the new domestic outbound is currently located, to create one big area. The current OBC will be closed and converted into an airside seating area.

mickyman
5th Feb 2008, 22:50
FlyZB

Thanks for that.

MM

Adola69
5th Feb 2008, 23:26
Step 1.
Build a new terminal between the rail station and the present T1 Multi-storey carpark, to link with the present T2. (Complete with spectators terrace!!??):)

Step2
When this is completed, open it to a grand fanfare, whilst knocking down the old terminal 1, thus creating lots of open area for Apron in front of the new Termial.:ok:

Step3
Knock down Olympic house - situated in a ridiculous place, not only blocking development of T3 but causes no end of turbulnece affecting aircraft over the threshold of 23R when the wind is from the NW at 20+ knots!!!:\

Step4
Build a new "Olympic House" in Leek, roughly half -way between the principle assets of MAG.:D

Step5
Have a Frankfurt style automatic people mover connecting T2 -T1 -T3, it's not rocket science.:D

Then and only then will Manchester Airport have developed to how it should have been - it'll only be about 15 - 20 years too late?:ugh:

Also I reckon it's about time the local councils chipped in with some investment instead of always on the take :D

busz
6th Feb 2008, 00:03
Thats exactly what i had in mind

tigermike
6th Feb 2008, 08:55
Still down as is the norm this financial year and can be expected until probably April. If Recession actually happens then it may be negative for the whole of 2008.

Total (terminal) 1318121 -0.86% :bored:
Total (inc transit) 1346745 -1.88% (mainly the PIA transatlantic reduction) :bored:
Freight 12216 +6.95% :)

As is usual at the moment Scheduled international is up +3.55% and domestic - 8.61% and charter - 4.04% are down

dh dragon
6th Feb 2008, 13:44
As of today at 1430 Galileo CRS is still showing daily through winter season :confused:

Suzeman
6th Feb 2008, 15:27
Stoneybridge
....as was the full length taxiway for 23L/05R

Under the current allowable dual runway rules, how often would this have been used?

Answer- infrequently and only when 23L/05R is being used for all movements. This only happens during planned maintenance or during an emergency.

You are talking of an extra strip of around 100m parallel to the runway. The cost which includes land acquisition, earthworks and the river tunnel would have been very high and disproportionate to its use. It would have had an even greater environmental impact which could have made winning the public enquiry even more difficult.So it was not built.

IF and it is a big IF, the rules for closely spaced parallel runway ops changes to allow mixed mode on both runways, I guess the Airport would look at it again.

FlyZB

when the T2 extension was being talked about, there were plans to build a remote pier at stands 235 - 247 with an underground subway linking the main terminal building with this satellite terminal.

In fact, it was originally proposed to put the underground link in when T2 was built so that it would be there ready for the time that a remote pier was constructed in the grass island and no taxiway disruption would take place. In the end it was considered too expensive to have this investment sitting there unused for possibly many years. This turned out to be the right decision as plans for a T2 extension have chopped and changed over the years and plans for a remote pier/satellite have not materialised.

Adola 69

Redevelopment of T1 ? - Dead easy!

You forgot step 0 which is to acquire a very large sack of money to allow this to be done.:}

Also I reckon it's about time the local councils chipped in with some investment instead of always on the take

I believe that the shareholders ie local councils did forego their dividends a few years ago, so they could be considered to have invested money in the airport.

Suzeman

MidnightMoonlight
6th Feb 2008, 20:43
does anyone know if VS were using a A340 today to MCO?
i seen it go over just didnt look like the usual 744.

spannersatcx
6th Feb 2008, 21:10
does anyone know if VS were using a A340 today to MCO?
i seen it go over just didnt look like the usual 744. ..........

no.

Adola69
6th Feb 2008, 22:49
You forgot step 0 which is to acquire a very large sack of money to allow this to be done..

Point taken. However during the past four years, T1 has had shed-loads of money thrown at it to accomplish
1) Two re-vamps of retail development Landside.
2) Two re-vamps of retail development Airside.
3) A new security area being completed as we speak.
4) The removal and re usage of the bus terminus outside T1 arrivals.
5) The re-vamp of the international arrivals area, to include a Tax Free shopping outlet, right in the way of folk struggling with trolleys laden with suitcases to try and reach the arrivals meeting area!! (An outlet that I have yet to see used by any travellers!??)
6) Multi-storey car park completey re-furbished surface area.
7) A complete re-roofing of ALL roof areas ( Which doesn't appear to have worked too well looking at the number of "ACME" Buckets there are when it rains)!:(

Money that could have gone very nicely towards the construction of a new "Sponsored" facility, that wouldn't have needed touching for quite a few years, unless those chaps at the ever helpfull Ministry for "Lets make Air Travel a Pain in the Arse" place anymore requirements on airports to make sure everyone is shrouded in cotton wool. :{

Still I'm sure the accountants have their sums right and I'm talking a bag of S*** e - as usual!!!???:ok:

Mr A Tis
7th Feb 2008, 14:04
I'm with you Adola69 on this one.
Plus if they hadn't spent shedloads on EMA, Hurn & Humberside (?) then they would have had more dosh to spend on the core business.

More cobbled together "add ons" means more up & down level changes requiring even more lifts & escalators & walkways. Something that MA seem completely unable to maintain to a satisfactory serviceable level.

I suppose a rooftop swimming pool (ala Singapore) isn't on the cards:)

viscount702
7th Feb 2008, 18:48
TK now showing as going to 10 a week between July and September.

Also BE adding extra flight to IOM

Viscount

MUFC_fan
7th Feb 2008, 18:54
I can only find 9x weekly:

Mon - 321 x1
Tue - 738 x1
Wed - 321 x1 738 x1
Thu - 321 x1
Fri - 738 x1
Sat - 321 x1
Sun - 321 x1 738 x1

Where is the 10th weekly?

Cheers.

viscount702
7th Feb 2008, 18:58
Monday from September

Viscount

mmeteesside
7th Feb 2008, 19:20
Mum/Dad going away to Tenerife from MAN next Sunday (17th) .... depart 0945 on the TCX762K (I think) to TFS. Can anyone suggest a reasonable time to arrive at T1? I said no later than 0700 but thought I would ask the experts :} Are Sunday mornings generally busy? Bearing in mind it is half term week (for us up here anyway!) :)

MUFC_fan
7th Feb 2008, 19:27
Saturday will be absolute manic at MAN, Sunday will be little better.

You may not know but the Cumbrian half-term is a week earlier so the airport will be dealing with both full inbound traffic and outbound.

Personally, I think the timing is about right. There will be alot of TCX/MYT flights on the Sunday along with FCA/TOM, MON, XL etc. plus normal traffic shipping thousands of people out to the Canaries along with ski resorts, not to mention long haul!

I can't remember whether TCX/MYT operate free check-in desk policies but if this is the case it may be better to get there a little earlier as check-in may take longer - there will be alot of skis!:ok:

Hope this helps!:ok:

P.S. Would put money on it being Boeing 752 G-JMCE!:}

mmeteesside
7th Feb 2008, 19:31
Cheers yes that helps :)

Yes a lot of the country seems to have half term next week, whereas ours is the week after (in Stockton).

Do TCX check in downstairs now with MYT (MYT were down there last time we used them out of MAN anyway!) :confused: If not where do they check in? Also I note car park buses still drop off at train station for T1/2 but not 3 where they drop off at the terminal?! Whats the point in that? :ugh:

FlyZB
7th Feb 2008, 20:16
MYT is upstairs now. Currently round the back where SAS checkin. TCX are in their usual spot from desk 1 onwards. As of 1st March both TCX and MYT will checkin from desks 1 to 25, I think Swiss and a few others are going back behind MON/ZB checkin. As of 1st April, MYT/TCX will of course be one airline and will use most of the desks along that 1st bank, with just LH right at the end.

mmeteeside, I worked in T1 last Sunday morning and it was very busy at security up until around 6 and then quiet up until half 8 before it got busy again. I suggest you try and get through security between half 7 and 8, that should be the best time. Of course with it being half term, there will be extra charter flights so that could alter things slightly.

RE car park buses, all MAG car park buses (ie - Long Stay, Premier Park, Shuttle Park) pick up/drop off outside every terminal and have been doing for months now. Some private car parking companies may still be using the station but as far as I know, most are using the stops outside all 3 terminals.

TSR2
7th Feb 2008, 20:56
As a considerable number of holiday passengers that use Manchester Airport reside in Lancashire, it may be of interest that the majority of schools in the county have a new holiday period for this year only.
Due to Easter falling in March, schools will be closed for Easter on Good Friday and Easter Monday only. A new 'Spring Holiday' period replaces the tradional Easter holiday and schools will close on Friday 4th April until Monday 21st April.
May help to swell the April passenger numbers.

viscount702
8th Feb 2008, 19:12
The C0 flights have been retimed. Some of the timings are very odd you will need to check on their Website.

Also they will be codesharing on some of the flights with their parent LOT

Viscount

spaul66
9th Feb 2008, 01:31
mmeteesside just so you are aware next week the approach roads to t1 and t3 are closed have put the notice below for you.....

T1 & T3 Approach Road Closure

As part of a £15 million scheme to create an extra platform at Manchester Airport’s station, Network Rail will be sliding a new bridge into position under one of the main access roads to the airport, Outwood Lane.
Outwood Lane will be closed from 22:00 on Friday 15 February until the early hours of Monday 3 March.
Outwood Lane is the main road to Terminals 1 and 3 and passes over the ends of the station platforms. To accommodate the extra platform, Network Rail needs to dig across under the road and slide a new supporting bridge into place – the equivalent weight of ten jumbo jets. To do that, the road will be closed and a well signed diversion will be put in place for anyone travelling by car to Terminals 1 or 3 while the roadworks are taking place
Road traffic will continue to be directed off the M56 at junction 5 but Terminal 1 traffic will be diverted via Terminal 2 past the Station and Terminal 3 traffic will be routed up Ringway Road West and onto Ringway Road past Premier Park and the Airport Hotel.
Bob Longworth, Manchester Airport’s Capacity Planning Manager explained: “It is impossible to predict how much longer road users should allow but we don’t expect major disruption. However, the morning and evening peak periods are always busy so we are advising people to leave a little extra time for the trip.
“Because the majority of people who work at the airport park their cars in Staff West only a minority are likely to be affected by the closure of Outwood Lane.”
Once completed, a third rail platform at the Station will mean significant improvements for passengers starting or ending their journey by rail. As well as more capacity for future services, the third platform will also mean greater reliability and punctuality for trains calling at the airport as well as relieving rail congestion around the Piccadilly station area.
Commenting on the work, Gary Openshaw, Network Rail’s Area General Manager said it was vital to meet future demand for travel to the airport: “At the moment there are only two platforms at the airport and with over 300 trains a day calling there, we often have to have a couple of trains in the same platform at any one time.
Rail passengers will be largely unaffected by the work except for the weekend of 16 and 17 February when trains between Manchester Piccadilly and the airport will be replaced by coaches. Passengers should check their travel plans either by calling their train operator, by calling national Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50 or by logging on to www.nationalrail.co.uk
The £15 million project is being jointly funded by Network Rail, Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive and The Northern Way, and Manchester Airport is leasing the land needed for the extra platform to Network Rail. Train services are provided by TransPennine Express and Northern.

viscount702
9th Feb 2008, 13:32
It looks like SV may be going to one a week from summer. Friday only according to OAG however SV website still shows both days

SQ reduction for winter also now showing on their timetable.

Viscount

point5
10th Feb 2008, 20:10
hi. what time does the viewing park open in the morning please?
thanks for your help.

MAN777
10th Feb 2008, 20:21
Take a look at

www.tasmanchester.co.uk

this site has all you need to know about Manchester.

point5
10th Feb 2008, 20:22
yeah had a look at that but was just wanting to check the info on there was accurate. 8.30 then?

MAN777
10th Feb 2008, 20:26
If you get there too early try the mound on the south side, its a great place to watch the early morning departures, runway 2 shut till end of feb though.

point5
10th Feb 2008, 20:31
That was my original plan to try the southern side, but as you say not much point at the moment. Thanks for your help.

MAN777
10th Feb 2008, 21:59
How about the arrivals then, if you drive past the 23R landing lights and turn right onto Styal road, towards Wilmslow, then right onto Moss Lane, you will come to a double bend, park on the dirt lay by and then walk through the metal gates towards the runway, at the perimeter fence there are some new earth mounds, these overlooks the 23R threshold, great for arrivals and departures in the morning light. The AVP is very poor for photography at this time of year, but if you just want to watch its great.

Tight Seat
12th Feb 2008, 15:49
What, two days and no posts? No in-fighting? No, I know more than you posts?

Come on Manchester boys, get to it.

PS. Are Spotty M starting 7 new routes this summer?

Momentary Lapse
12th Feb 2008, 17:32
Looks like some good developments listed above. I like the idea of arrivals on the top of Pier C, feeding into those corridors over the DF shop.

Linking Pier C and East Pier of T2 is also logical, and will be a lot easier to manage than say Pier B Dom/Int arrivals, or carousel 7. A couple of interlocked doors should do it.

Nice to see there's plenty of healthy scepticism and closed minds above too.

I do wonder why increased passenger numbers is automatically assumed to be an improvement? I wonder why MAPLC can't focus on just level pax numbers and spend the money on customer service instead, rather than ramming more through.

And all that step 1 -5 guff above in #1897. Just how quickly do you think step 2, demolishing T1 and making the apron good, will actually take? I reckon 12-18 months, during which time neither T1 nor its replacement will be usable. So where will all the traffic go during that time? It's not economic to extend T2 or T3 to cope short-term, and if MAPLC do extend them, they'll do the job permanently, won't they? Think it through, man (or woman).

Vuelo
12th Feb 2008, 18:37
Spotty M being who exactly?

viscount702
12th Feb 2008, 19:01
Over the last few years if not longer all development has taken place within the Terminals. Clearly some of this was necessary. What is not clear is what if any development is to be started soon airside to the airfield, apron, gates or whatever . There seems to be plenty suggested but nothing concrete .

What is the position on the new Tower

When will work start on an extension to T2 west pier to put gates to stands 215-219. It was suggested above that this has been given the go ahead (post 1888) but later (post 1892) suggests that it could be 2 or 3 years away.

There were suggestions a while back for some new stands for T3 but this now seems to have been shelved in another rethink about what to do with T3 or how to develop T3.

If EZY or FR are to expand at MAN this expansion will need to be catered for somewhere. At the moment there seems to be limited scope for this because of the needs of the LCC's mentioned in previous posts.

I know that at present growth is flat or negative. But if MAN is to grow then something needs to be done soon to cater for this growth or at least to stop the decline because too many PAX are now finding easier if not cheaper to go elsewhere because of facilities on offer not that far away which if not cheaper are now seemingly offering less hassel.

Viscount

WincoDinco
12th Feb 2008, 19:02
I don't understand all these suggestions about demolishing Terminal 1 and starting again.

How in all holy hell would you have envisaged this happening? Demolishing Terminal 1 and starting again on the site would take years.

a) First you'd need a new control tower and airline and airport authority offices, and a relocation of the NATS Manchester Area Control Centre - because the tower block is part of the terminal - if the terminal comes down, the tower has to come down.

b) The T1 multistorey car park sits on top of the terminal - that would have to come down as well, so you'd need another one of those first as well.

c) T1 is attached, at the hip (so to speak), to T3. So you'd end up with a mess in that terminal as well.

MAG is doing the best it can with what it has, and is doing what it can, realistically.

MUFC_fan
12th Feb 2008, 19:50
Just thought I would announce that DL is to increase the ATL capacity when on the 25th October, a 767-400 will leave ATL for MAN.

Good to see the route finally increased but as we saw this summer, nothing is certain!

FlyZB
12th Feb 2008, 20:00
Viscount 702, I can't give you any information regarding the airfield. It was mentioned in a development meeting I attended a few weeks back and there are plans afoot with regards to improving taxiways etc but there are people on here who know and understand far more about this than me. Maybe they can give you some insight.

With regards to the extension of T2 'West Pier' it looks like I may have contradicted myself slightly. The go-ahead has been given to extend the pier down to Stand 219, so that Gates 216, 217, 218 & 219 will all be connected by airbridges and will form part of the terminal building. By go-ahead, I mean the project has been put forward to the board of directors and they have approved it. However, work on this project probably won't start until Winter 2009/2010 because of other schemes going on elsewhere. The retail and security development in T2 needs to be finalised first, otherwise the scale of building works would be too much to maintain the operation efficiently.

msea
12th Feb 2008, 20:01
MACC is moving to Scotland.

SWBKCB
12th Feb 2008, 20:01
Anybody heard of flybe dropping FRA later this year?

StoneyBridge Radar
12th Feb 2008, 20:17
Just thought I would announce that DL is to increase the ATL capacity when on the 25th October, a 767-400 will leave ATL for MAN.

Delta have the ability to match aircraft to demand. The 777 was great for spotters when it plowed the route, but tour operators filled it to the brim with Y class families off to Orlando, often meaning many J class seats were filled with upgrades.

The 763 has been the absolute optimum frame for the route. The 764 in Int'l config is a sensible progression.

You have to hand it to Delta. They have stuck with MAN through thick and thin, often coming back for another try, unlike others.

Plus, the MAN staff are fab (I know you read this site D !)

Stoney

MUFC_fan
12th Feb 2008, 20:31
Delta have the ability to match aircraft to demand. The 777 was great for spotters when it plowed the route, but tour operators filled it to the brim with Y class families off to Orlando, often meaning many J class seats were filled with upgrades.

I was one of the many people put on the T7 to MCO via ATL. Fantastic bird! Hope the aircraft returns to the route in the coming years. I know we have the PIA, EK and SQ T7s but I would love to see other airlines (*cough* AA *cough*) introduce the aircraft on their long haul programmes from MAN.

MAN Guy
12th Feb 2008, 20:55
I'm guessing Spotty M might be Monarch......three spots above the "M" logo anyone?!

Seven brand new routes for a new season would be quite an expansion from them given they have traditionally been relatively slow and steady in terms of expansion, so I would be surprised.

viscount702
12th Feb 2008, 22:06
Although EZY timetable shows daily MLA flights to end of Summer.No Mon, Weds, Fri flights are showing in October on booking system.

Anyone no the reason

Ian Brooks
12th Feb 2008, 23:08
Malta is not as popular in autumn/winter?

Ian

Adola69
13th Feb 2008, 09:04
And all that step 1 -5 guff above in #1897. Just how quickly do you think step 2, demolishing T1 and making the apron good:=
I don't understand all these suggestions about demolishing Terminal 1 and starting again:O

Well Momentary Lapse and WincoDinco, shows how much you two know?

The demolshing of T1 was / is still a consideration by MA. Yes it would mean a little disruption, but what is required is thinking outside the box. Construction of the new terminal would come first, behind the present Multi-storey car park, to include the rail station & bus terminus. Only when that is complete and open would you then close & demolish the present T1. The current Piers would be left short term to accomadate pax transferred by bus from the new term. Gradually the piers would be reduced once new apron was down on the site of the present T1, along with new piers.

The construction of a new ATC tower starts imminently, so that is not a problem is it?

The Manchester Area ATC set-up closes in 2009 / 10 and moves to Scotland ( So no more "Manchester Control" on the R/T - it'll all be "Scottish Control " around these parts - bloody diabolical - Salmon & his cronies!!)

As for offices for Airlines and the Airport, there is more than enough space already available in the office block at the Rail station and just a short hop away more office space is lying empty adjacent to the new Ringway road.

"Not Economic", someone quoted! Really, - I wonder if it was considered Economic (obviously it was ) way back in the 60's when T 1 was first planned & then constructed? When any ordinary punter wandered around that "Vast" concourse" he / she saw maybe 50 pax at a time??

What I can't understand, and maybe some enlightened member can tell me, is yes the Pax figures and movement figures have decreased slightly this past couple of years, but they are still where they were in 2004, but everything then was rosy, lovely profits being made, everybody was cock-a-hoop. Now it's doom and gloom, reign back on investment, let-down your staff by trying to outwit them with new and inferior contracts, and what seems like no long-term plans anymore - well none that last more than next next lot of pax figures!! Yes inflation has risen over that period and consequently costs have gone up, but so have charges, so have retail rates, and now no more CAA RPI minus figures to be obeyed.

Anyway, that's my last and final say on the subject.:hmm:

I'm thanking you

Adola ( Mr. or to some SIR !!).:E

Ringwayman
13th Feb 2008, 14:54
U2 is probably still working out plans for thier operations from October onwards for *all* of their destinations - when they put the GT routes on sale, nearly everything was until the end of September.

As for the pax going elsewhere, could it be that they are going elsewhere because they are going to places which currently do not have a MAN run, or if destinations are the same, the timings from other airports is better than that currently offered at MAN.

1station
13th Feb 2008, 15:08
Menzies have won the Easyjet contract for MAN.:ok:

TURIN
13th Feb 2008, 21:18
T7???????:confused:

Is this the text generation gone mad?

Would the extra tap on the keyboard to type '777' really hurt that much? :yuk:

Momentary Lapse
14th Feb 2008, 11:00
Viscount

MA extended the west apron, infilled the B1D area and added new stands in the passing bay nr T3, all within the last five years.

Adola

You don't know how much I know. More than you, I bet.

Building a new T1 then demolishing the old one is technically possible (what isn't?) but farcical, expensive and risky. Yes they might keep the piers as stands, but by the time you've left circulation space for a/c and handlers and buses they'll be laying concrete at a postage stamp sized piece at a time, which is expensive, lengthy and leads to an inferior product at the end.

And at some point they'd need to close the piers to fill in the gaps in the concrete so the combined capacity of old and new T1 will be nil for quite a while. Where are those movts going to be handled then? Customer service anyone?

And is there enough space between S200 and T3 and the rail station to get meaningful taxiways in and out to the new terminal, which is going to be a compromised site to start with?

The office block at the Station is empty because there's no demand and the rents are far too high. That's also why Oly House is full of MA staff; because the airlines left there too as the rents were too high. Most MA staff don't even need to be on site (eg HR, Finance, Payroll, and mostl of Group) - an HR officer could be 100 miles away but would be contactable by phone or email.

MA doesn't do risk, so I suspect they'll order a feasibility study to get high order costs then bin it because it's too expensive, complicated, lengthy and most of all risky.

Finally - so they're putting up charges eh? That'll bring the airlines back, not. The whole point of CAA regulation was to protect customers from monopolistic price increases. Now there's viable competition from other airports the regulators have rightly dropped the monopoly issue but it's up to the free market now. Put the costs up too much and airlines will continue to walk.

Better to keep a lid on costs and charges (like any business) and focus on better customer service for the existing customer levels. Why is continuous passenger growth desirable? I really can't understand seeking more when the investment costs are so risky and the current service levels are still so poor.

Bring on aviation fuel tax I say.

ACCMan
14th Feb 2008, 16:29
New routes for the summer programme:-

Loganair - Three per day to DND (Dundee) using SF340
SATA - Weekly sched service to PDL (Ponta Delgada - Azores) with A320s
TACV - Twice weekly to SID (Cape Verde) on B757-200

Also todays Volga Dnepr IL76 visitor will return on 16Feb, Qantas will drop by with their QF002 LHR-MAN-BKK-SYD on 25MAy (B747-400) and Flybe are to add in some extra French regionals (LRH/BES/RNS) peak summer only.

Seats/movements still down on last year though. :(

Manchester Exile
14th Feb 2008, 17:41
Why will QF2 be calling into MAN in May?

viscount702
14th Feb 2008, 18:44
Momentary Lapse.

I believe that the extra stands on the west apron are really for cargo.

As to the stands near T3 if you are talking stands 58 and 301 to 304 weren't these built and then abandoned. They no longer appear on the airfield charts as stands

viscount702
14th Feb 2008, 18:47
Are the new routes confirmed as none appear on any website and there are no announcements anywhere that I can find.

Viscount

trumptonville
15th Feb 2008, 11:06
Can someone remind me how to find the monthly pax etc figures on the airport website or intranet
It was posted on here a while back but I've lost my note with the instructions on.

Thanks
AE

tigermike
15th Feb 2008, 11:14
Go to About Us at the top then Archive followed by Traffic Stats

ACCMan
15th Feb 2008, 12:27
Flights are approved ACL slots. Don't know why QF are flying by ..... will ask around.

Cheers,
:)

Suzeman
15th Feb 2008, 20:29
I believe that the extra stands on the west apron are really for cargo.

The extra stands are for anything, not just cargo. Because of the distance from the terminal, they are frequently used for night stoppers and long stoppers which don't need bussing. These new stands however do have some tie downs for B747 freighters which are in short supply on the rest of the apron stands, hence the fact that these types are often seen up there.

Just as a matter of interest, the B1D area infill for stands was looked at in the 1970s with the Trident as the design type. Needless to say it wasn't done then.

Suzeman

rampman
15th Feb 2008, 21:26
the 5 new stands on the west apron all have tie down points for cargo aircraft they were also designed for B773 and A346 because they will not fit on any other remote stand except stand 80 (taxiway papa)

:ok: rampman

viscount702
16th Feb 2008, 10:52
On the lastest figures it would seem that QR had a drop of 24% in PAX to DOH in January.

EX figures are also flat and have been for a bit.

EY do seem to be gaining maybe at the expense of QR

Overall the increase to the Gulf area seems to be slowing is it because the market has now reached what might be the appropriate level for the time being or are there other factors

Can anyone give any explanation

MancRy
16th Feb 2008, 11:08
MLA under GT goes/went to 3 times weekly over the winter months anyway. When GT announced daily MLA last summer, we thought (GT crew) thought that it was a bit of an over kill but there were the bums on seats and thats what matters to U2. However, in the winter loads tail off and 3 x weekly is a sensible option.

Momentary Lapse
16th Feb 2008, 11:53
Thanks Rampman and Suzeman for clarifying my point about the west apron.

They may be used for cargo (indeed some were designed for the larger a/c and with tie down points) but by doing so they release stands nearer the terminals for pax a/c, which were previously blocked by cargo a/c.

So MA providing them has increased overall stand capacity, which was my point.

Cheers!

LH436
17th Feb 2008, 12:29
does anybody know,if the oasis flight Hong Kong-Düsseldorf-Manchester really starts in august:confused:or is it still just a rumour?
thanks for your reply.

Elmhurst37
17th Feb 2008, 13:45
Nothing confirmed yet, the website is still unchanged. For the record it says...

In the near future, we will progressively launch new direct services between Hong Kong and the following cities :

Chicago and San Francisco in the U.S.
Berlin, Cologne/Bonn, Manchester, and Milan in Europe
Melbourne and Sydney in Australia

TSR2
17th Feb 2008, 21:06
I have written to Oasis three times now (as a potential passenger) asking if services are likely to commence by January 09. Oasis have not even had the courtesy of an acknowledgment to any letter let alone a reply. From this I take it that a service from Manchester is not imminent.
Not a way to treat potential customers.

EI-BUD
17th Feb 2008, 22:51
Hello all,
I read in one of the aviation magazines, think it was aviation news, that Easyjet would base 3 x 319s at Manchester on launch of its new base. It also said that the airline would be launching a number of new routes including Belfast. Does anyone know if this is so, I cant find any information online to this end.

It would be a surprising move as havent known them to target Bmibaby routes.

Regards
EI-BUD

Ian Brooks
18th Feb 2008, 07:28
EI-BUD It will be 2 aircraft for summer 2008 operating the GB routes with nothing new until winter 2008

Ian

Bagso
18th Feb 2008, 07:33
to TSR2

For what its worth I also emailed customer service (number on website) and had a reply within 48 hrs suggesting that a significant number of LGW originate in Manchester (..so whats new) and that they were looking at a potential MAN service. No timescales.

viscount702
18th Feb 2008, 19:13
It seems BA are keeping a codeshare on all ex BACON routes for the time being.

Skipness One Echo
18th Feb 2008, 19:59
They'll probably try and buy out flybe in a few years. Then they get the routes, the revenue and the market share with little of the costs that the old BACON operation carried. They're like goldfish that way....

parky747
19th Feb 2008, 00:56
Does anyone know if Virgin Atlantic have any further routes planned for MAN. They seem to be doing very well with what they do so far.

MUFC_fan
19th Feb 2008, 10:30
They'll probably try and buy out flybe in a few years. Then they get the routes, the revenue and the market share with little of the costs that the old BACON operation carried. They're like goldfish that way....

That is just what I was thinking.

BE get Loganair and BACON, turn them into a profitable and lean working machine before BA add to their 20% stake (I think?!:confused:) and hey presto!

It would be an excellent plan for BA which would give them back the regions aswell as LON, but have the regions had enough of BA? They have let them down on many occasions and would the public from Wick down to Newquay appreciate DH4s and E195s in BA colours? Personally I would love it as my airmiles would go sky high:ok: but don't know about anybody else?

Comments...

On the VS debate, there were rumours of MAN-PVG but it was abit of a random route to select. I wouldn't be surprised if the next route would be LAX or something like that where non-stop are not available.

When the 787s arrives, maybe MAN will get some or a 343 taken off the LHR rotations.

MUFC_fan
19th Feb 2008, 12:48
Some more changes to the S08 timetable. There are some changes to the SAS timetables for their three destinations.

Stockholm has twice daily 736 during the week with 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday rotation again with the 736 during the early summer months. This then becomes once daily Tuesday-Friday with two flights on a Monday and no weekend flights. Again with the 736. This is during the height of summer. Returns to MD80/736 ops in September.

Oslo remains the same except that the 734 will be replaced with new 738s on the Sunday rotations.

Copenhagen, again no frequency changes but the Thursday evening A319 will become an MD80 and the Monday evening will become and A319 instead of an MD80. During the final weeks of the summer season the A319 will move again to the Saturday morning flight.

I know this is abit random and not very easy to understand but we know how much airlines change their frequencies and aircraft types. Hoepfully this will help somebody wanting to book onto an MD80/A319/736/738 or someone wanting to get on an SAS 734 - better hurry up!:ok:

dh dragon
19th Feb 2008, 15:43
viscount 702
The reason QR figures are down is possibly because they have effectively cut out travel agents by 1.reducing commision to nil.2.posting public fares which are the same level as the special netts given to consolidators.
3.failing to standardise their flight times ex MAN causing long waiting times in DOH.
They have also re-hashed their Frequent Flyer rules and down-graded people from Silver to Burgundy.!!
:hmm:

ACCMan
19th Feb 2008, 16:08
Currently due to start services via DUS on 01 June. In at 0900(L) and out at 1255(L). Terminal TBA.

Have slots for a daily op, but expected 3 to 4 a week to start with. With 363 seats, I wonder if they're going to sell the MAN-DUS sector?

All of this still to be confirmed ...... nothing definate yet.

Cheers,
:ok:

viscount702
19th Feb 2008, 18:21
QR pax figures
viscount 702
The reason QR figures are down is possibly because they have effectively cut out travel agents by 1.reducing commision to nil.2.posting public fares which are the same level as the special netts given to consolidators.
3.failing to standardise their flight times ex MAN causing long waiting times in DOH.
They have also re-hashed their Frequent Flyer rules and down-graded peopleSilver to Burgundy.!!

Since my original post I have rechecked the figures and find that Pax for LHR and LGW are down as well and in fact in percentage terms more than MAN.

I think there must be a blip in the figures.

Viscount

ManofMan
19th Feb 2008, 19:22
I know this is abit random and not very easy to understand but we know how much airlines change their frequencies and aircraft types. Hoepfully this will help somebody wanting to book onto an MD80/A319/736/738 or someone wanting to get on an SAS 734 - better hurry up!

When did SAS buy 737-400 ???? or MD-80's for that matter ???

MUFC_fan
19th Feb 2008, 19:24
They haven't.

They have had the MD80s for donkeys and the 734s are being removed from the MAN schedule by the end of this winter season to be replaced by new 738s.:confused::confused:

ManofMan
19th Feb 2008, 19:31
Dont mean to sound pedantic but SAS do not operate either 737-400's or MD-80's

Curious Pax
19th Feb 2008, 19:46
Yes they do - they have 40-odd MD-80s (that being a generic name for MD-82/MD-83/MD-87), and acquired 737-400s when they took over Braathens. Around 4 remain in service with SAS Norway.

EC-ILS
19th Feb 2008, 19:55
SK 737-400s are regular visitors to DUB as mentioned ex BU machines.

ManofMan
19th Feb 2008, 19:57
Well in that case i guess someone can put some custard on for my humble pie. !!!

Sorry MUFC

manspot
19th Feb 2008, 22:57
I can confirm Flight Support have got the ramp contract for Flybe. Not bad for a company who 12 months ago had 4 3W's a day plus the odd Globespan over wing only, now the biggest handling agent at Manchester in terms of movements.

Credit goes to the Manchester staff for making it happen. I bet there is a very well known General Manager with a smile on his face today.

Now all that remains is for Flight Support to prove to everyone that Flybe, VLM, Euromanx and Globespan have made the right choice in handling at Manchester. How many more contracts are on the way, Servisair watch out!!!

MANFlyer
20th Feb 2008, 07:56
I was on QR41 inbound from DOH yesterday and we were ready to go with doors closed 10 mins before departure. Captain came on with his usual welcome confirming we were good to go but said we were unable to arrive at MAN earlier than our schedualed 0620 arrival time?!. This is the first time I've heard this, and have arrived before scheduled arrival time many times on SQ.

Is this a temorary thing due to runway work or something ?.

Wellington Bomber
20th Feb 2008, 08:03
Down to one runway at the moment WIP on t'other one

Hudson Bay
20th Feb 2008, 09:22
bmi to announce new routes fom Manchester next week. Very clever indeed. We all know what next week coincides with!!

I beleive this to be the start of a massive expansion by bmi at Manchester.

My money is on Poland and somewhere mid-haulish.

MAN777
20th Feb 2008, 09:34
I must be asleep, what is happening next week ?

MUFC_fan
20th Feb 2008, 10:02
I must be asleep, what is happening next week ?

Yeh...what is happening?:confused:

If this is true, its about time a LON carrier recognised MANs potential. Hopefully it will be with some Airbus a/c - not the Embraers!

If we are looking at short haul onto the continent it is most likely to be WW. If it is Mid-haul, could we see Cairo or Moscow?

I would LOVE it to be long haul - LAX!:ok: But I am getting well ahead of myself now!:O

Anyone got any ideas?

Hudson Bay
20th Feb 2008, 10:41
I tell a lie. Between 22nd - 25th February.

New bmi route launch on 22nd followed by massive publicity campaign for the following 3 days.

At least someone has their finger on the pulse and someone else giving MOL the finger!!!

airhumberside
20th Feb 2008, 11:26
baby, mainline or regional?

LH436
20th Feb 2008, 11:38
I thougt they wanted to start the route HKG-DUS-MAN in august.whatever.shouldn't they confirm it in the near future to have enough time to sell the seats?

comet 4b623PW
20th Feb 2008, 11:42
I thought BD were short of aircraft, certainly for long haul as they have just leased B757,s from Astraeus. No A330,s due for a while as I understand it. So are they going to lease in appropriate aircraft or are the Caribbean and Las Vegas services to be axed at the end of the summer program.

A narrow body airbus may be available if it has been freed up by 757,s taking over a few LHR routes. Not sure how many medium haul routes would be profitable from Manchester, possibles may be Moscow, Tel-a-Viv, Cairo.

They have tried E-145,s to europe so far without out standing success.

GLENO
20th Feb 2008, 11:50
Hudson Bay........

Where have you got this info from?

Please anywhere apart from Poland!!:ugh:

How's about a daily Madrid?:ok:

airhumberside
20th Feb 2008, 11:54
So are they going to lease in appropriate aircraft or are the Caribbean and Las Vegas services to be axed at the end of the summer program.
Why cant it stay with the current A330?

OltonPete
20th Feb 2008, 12:32
The BMI Baby June - October schedule at Manchester had many gaps the last time I checked their timetable and they could quite easily get four new routes without going beyond 4 aircraft based (3 until June).

If it involves another based unit would this mean taking one away from elsewhere or have they sourced some more 733's. I know that at least another one is due in the summer.

The June onward schedule did show: -

8 at BHX
5 at EMA
4 at MAN
3 at CWL

They had 22 units, 3 500's to go this winter (one gone plus one about to)and there is one to arrive?

Pete

mufc4evr
20th Feb 2008, 17:09
hi this is my first post here and about those 757s, i thought they were leased to BA for services from LGW?

Also how come international asian airlines haven't seen the potential from MAN. I mean Thai + Air India would probably do very well here, finnally i think that BMI would be a better leading UK airline if they based at MAN as how many money making destinations are there not currently served from MAN.

E.g MAD,LAX,HKG etc...

Mr @ Spotty M
20th Feb 2008, 17:21
One has been operating for BA at LGW.

MAN Guy
20th Feb 2008, 18:21
mufc4ever

Some of the Asian airlines have already been and gone at MAN, relatively recent examples that spring to mind are Malaysian, Air India and a few "oddball" carriers serving the Indian market like Uzbekistan through Tashkent and Turkmenistan through Ashgabat. Like many routes from MAN they may have operated with good load factors at times but yields were ultimately poor, especially in Malaysian's case. There have been rumours here and there about Air India retuning one day but so far nothing has come to fruition.

Thai have said MAN is on their "list" for expansion which is good news, but unfortunately they've been saying it for years which isn't so good as still no service.

As for BMI.... who knows?! Rumours on here suggest a big expansion at MAN might be on the cards but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it were to be anything other than more Baby flights to Europe or some additional stuff by Regional.

ACCMan
20th Feb 2008, 19:39
Bad news. Very strong rumour Jett8 are pulling out. Can't get the uplift into MAN to make it worthwhile.

Part of the UK economic downturn???

accman:(

Scottie Dog
20th Feb 2008, 20:00
ACCMAN you just beat me to it. I have heard exactly the same - sad news but cargo has been good for some time and hopefully will continue upward as the economy improves.

On the subject of Bmi anouncements, my source had heard nothing - and he is in a position that should know. Be interesting if anything does come about.

MUFC_fan
21st Feb 2008, 09:58
DL's JFK rotation to go daily this summer and into next winter with 752W.

Suzeman
21st Feb 2008, 11:08
hopefully will continue upward as the economy improves.

Afternoon Scottie.

Do you know something that the government and all these highly paid bankers don't? :}

Bad news of course if it is true about Jett8, but then getting loads going east has always been a problem, especially in recent years as we don't actually produce much goods in UK nowadays......

Suzeman

Scottie Dog
21st Feb 2008, 12:04
Suzeman - obviously you are having a few days away from the grindstone at the moment!!

Maybe I should have used the word 'when', rather than 'as' the economy improves.

Just wish I was paid the same as ministers and bankers!!

Time for another pint sometime to mull over the affairs of the world??

Regards

Scottie Dog

Pilot Pete
21st Feb 2008, 13:15
So, it would appear that anyone who wishes to work airside at Manchester is going to have to register and have their irises scanned for new recognition purposes. What are your thoughts about this, good or bad?

For. Helps to prevent imitation of someone else, but is that a big problem?

Against. Yet another 'big brother' step. Can MAplc be trusted to hold this data securely? Who will have access to it? Will it be accessible by any other 'officials' and will any individual suddenly find their personal data being added to some 'national' type database? We all know how secure they are..............

Comments?

PP

call100
21st Feb 2008, 13:20
The Government are proposing to roll out Biometric national ID cards to aviation workers first. It is assumed that we are less likely to complain because we have so many ID cards as it is???:\ So iris scanning is the least of your worries.....:eek:
It's going to roll out to all airports sooner or later....Let us know how you get on.....

ACCMan
21st Feb 2008, 14:03
PP - The biometric data is held on the chip inside your ID card, so it's in your interest not to lose it. There is no central database for biometrics, so on renewal you'll be asked to scan your eyes again.

groundhand
21st Feb 2008, 15:42
Nothing against the system PROVIDED that all airports use the same system and it will allow easier movement for workers between airports.

Blackcap
21st Feb 2008, 21:13
AccMan said PP - The biometric data is held on the chip inside your ID card, so it's in your interest not to lose it. There is no central database for biometrics, so on renewal you'll be asked to scan your eyes again.

Not true - I've had two replacement passes at MAN, one being a company change, one being a complete renewal, and I did not have to be re-scanned either time.

viscount702
21st Feb 2008, 22:23
Re a posting on another thread.

SQ must be reducing or at least considering reducing winter flights as their timetable now shows the reduction

Adola69
21st Feb 2008, 23:00
:rolleyes:I see from another forum that Malaysian are starting a twice a week service to Gatwick with B777.

I don't think we'll ever see them back here at Man., as that's just the a/c they should have stuck with here.

Ah well, maybe Flybe could start with Dash 8's and progress up to E195's !!

Adola:{

MANFlyer
22nd Feb 2008, 06:27
Adola69, I said same as you in post 1786 on this thread. Bad news indeed. I was in Sabah last week at one of the big resort Hotels. As usual it was rammed with Brits, many of whom were closer to MAN than LHR but had to schlep down there to fly MH to BKI via KUL. A few I spoke to used to fly from MAN direct to KUL. I know holiday makers do not tend to equal big yield but this is MH's market anyway, and what they will be getting from LGW. I'm afraid the 'threat' of that bl**dy long haul LCC flying here will have put paid to the return of MH at MAN....

viscount702, see an earlier post on here for the SQ news. ;) One slight alteration is the new departure time is just 10 mins earlier at 0950 instead of the proposed 0920. They've also finally bowed to the complaints and dumped the Servisair lounge. :)

Wellington Bomber, thanks for the confirmation on the work. I thought an inbound slot restriction was strange.

Mr A Tis
22nd Feb 2008, 06:59
Why anyone would want to use either lounge in T2 is a mystery to me. They are both an embarrassment to the world of Exec lounges.:eek:

Mr A Tis
22nd Feb 2008, 11:47
Baby to LISbon now bookable from 17th June Tues & Sats.

eggc
22nd Feb 2008, 12:21
According to Hudson Bay in a previous post...

New bmi route launch on 22nd followed by massive publicity campaign for the following 3 days.

OltonPete
22nd Feb 2008, 12:26
I trust that this is the starter with the main course to follow?

As I have stated before there is plenty of room in the schedule for new
routes or inceased frequencies.

BTW local BHX rumour is 3 new Baby routes tba in the next few weeks.

Pete

MUFC_fan
22nd Feb 2008, 12:54
Maybe they will have some 'W' rotations to new destinations.

Is the BHX schedule full?