Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Jet2-6

Old 13th May 2023, 00:42
  #1281 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cavokblues
I get that side of the argument but on the other hand isn't it a reason NOT to go to Liverpool? If you're already the UK's #1 package holiday company with a well known brand and no direct competitor at LPL (No TUI etc) wouldn't your pax already be happy to go to Manchester?

Manchester must be able to accommodate further growth for them in the next 18-24 months. If they can't they need to be asking serious questions of themselves as an airport. Would Jet2 go to all the hassle with a new LPL base to then grow again at Manchester in the foreseeable?

But there is Tui from Liverpool and Easyjet Holidays, all using Easyjet aircraft. Therefore Jet2 is missing at least some of this. Is it so much hassle for Jet2 , they are at EMA and BHX after all.
BACsuperVC10 is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 07:10
  #1282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 66
Posts: 758
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by VLCfkight
Liverpool-based Arrowsmith Holidays, used to operate programmes from both Liverpool and Manchester using mostly Laker and Cambrian Airways aircraft...
... never a problem filling the aircraft even though the programme was in the main ´mirrored´ at both airports. (and Lord Brothers too - owned by Laker)

VickersVicount
Perhaps before the gluttony of self book low cost options everywhere… particularly MAN (compared to Liverpool)



Here's the thing though chaps and ladies -

Jet2 are pretty much distancing themselves from the Low-Cost flights only model as their core business, and going for >>>> guess what ? Package Holidays...gosh who would have thought....

As BACsuperVC10 points out - >
But there is TUI from Liverpool and Easyjet Holidays, all using Easyjet aircraft.

But Jet2 Holidays are serious about selling the whole in-house Package Tour model --- With regard to Liverpool they would have an open ticket compared to TUI and Easyjet Holidays.
The competitors marketing is not up there with Jet2 Holidays.

Last edited by rog747; 13th May 2023 at 07:27.
rog747 is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 07:11
  #1283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stafford
Posts: 511
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m curious as to what growth Jet2 envisages. Is it more of the same, increasing frequencies and capacity to the likes of Alicante and Tenerife? Is opening more bases across the U.K.? Or is it launching some new destinations, especially ones growing in popularity where TUI seem to have the monopoly? How about more city break destinations? Or all of the above?
chinapattern is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 08:35
  #1284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: stockport
Posts: 475
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really cannot see why Jet2 would want a LPL operation as a high percentage of MAN operation come from Wales and Merseyside
anyway so all that would be doing is reduce the Manchester loads.and it would add to costs plus unless they had a large based fleet
they would have the pleasure of using a handling agent instead of self handling


chaps1954 is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 09:38
  #1285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,978
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by chaps1954
I really cannot see why Jet2 would want a LPL operation as a high percentage of MAN operation come from Wales and Merseyside
anyway so all that would be doing is reduce the Manchester loads.and it would add to costs plus unless they had a large based fleet
they would have the pleasure of using a handling agent instead of self handling
But what you're missing is the potential for taking business away from TUI which given that the overall market is finite is important if Jet2 wants to maintain their position as the largest tour operator in UK.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 09:47
  #1286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: .
Posts: 446
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But then that's an argument for them to go into nearly every major airport in the country.

The positioning of LPL airport, north of the Mersey, means for a lot of people there is minimal time difference in getting to LPL over Manchester. If I live in St Helen's Manchester is only 10 mins further away.

The positioning of East Midlands over BHX doesn't have that, there is a clear time saving for a lot of the people living nearby to get there over BHX.

Question for Jet2 - is their brand powerful enough and are they price competitive enough to attract people from North Wales to drive an extra 15-20 mins up the motorway to fly with them over a TUI holiday sold on easyJet flights. I would say the answer at the moment is yes.

(I'm not saying they won't go to LPL, just thinking out loud as to the reasons why they might not!)
cavokblues is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 10:06
  #1287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,194
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could see Jet2 at LPL but not under their own family friendly brand. Perhaps a subsidiary crewed by burly types and a premium on every ticket to cover diversions to remove unruly passengers.

I have not settled on a name yet. Scouser Jet or Scally Air.
DC3 Dave is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 10:12
  #1288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,342
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DC3 Dave
I could see Jet2 at LPL but not under their own family friendly brand. Perhaps a subsidiary crewed by burly types and a premium on every ticket to cover diversions to remove unruly passengers.

I have not settled on a name yet. Scouser Jet or Scally Air.
Says somebody from Essex...
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 12:03
  #1289 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: stockport
Posts: 475
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing is Manchester have had the Welsh contingent for years as it takes no longer to get there.
chaps1954 is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 12:26
  #1290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 7,610
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rog747
Originally Posted by VLCfkight
Liverpool-based Arrowsmith Holidays, used to operate programmes from both Liverpool and Manchester using mostly Laker and Cambrian Airways aircraft...
However, that was in the days before multiple motorway routes between Merseyside and Manchester, which now make the latter's airport only about an hour's drive. It's even more pronounced from the Wirral side. Liverpool airport's poor (non-existent) motorway links are a significant part. Although you can see the Welsh hills to the west from Liverpool's control tower, Manchester, to the east, is actually much quicker to get to from there than Liverpool.

By the mid-1980s (after Laker and Cambrian's time), when this road network was mostly complete, there was so little traffic at Liverpool that I was quite surprised the airport was not closed down for good.

Originally Posted by ATNotts
But what you're missing is the potential for taking business away from TUI which given that the overall market is finite is important if Jet2 wants to maintain their position as the largest tour operator in UK.
Philip Meeson has kept Jet2 in good financial position by going for financially worthwhile markets and growth with a competent product, and not indulging in willy-waving "I'm bigger than you are" over-expansion into marginal markets.
WHBM is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 12:28
  #1291 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: BOURNEMOUTH, ENGLAND
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An airline can think about opening bases in the UK or Northern Europe but as the Southern European airports you are hoping to fly to/from are becoming increasingly slot restricted then it's a non starter.
ezyBoh is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 12:45
  #1292 (permalink)  
pug
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: A post-punk postcard fair
Posts: 1,331
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ezyBoh
An airline can think about opening bases in the UK or Northern Europe but as the Southern European airports you are hoping to fly to/from are becoming increasingly slot restricted then it's a non starter.
Exactly this. There are some myopic opinions on here. Notice for example that the ‘friendly flight times’ tagline has been quietly dropped in recent years. It’s becoming increasingly difficult to acquire slots at those constrained destinations and to commit to another new base will just make the job that much harder.
pug is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 12:50
  #1293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Co
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UnderASouthernSky
Any truth to the rumour that some or all of G-ZAPX is headed to Jet2? Looks like Titan has now retired it.
this could be the one that Jet2 have bought for spare parts -
irishlad06 is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 13:35
  #1294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 43
Posts: 748
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irishlad06
this could be the one that Jet2 have bought for spare parts -
Parting out a 22 year old aircraft for 35 year old aircraft? Yeah some strange logic there.
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 13:55
  #1295 (permalink)  
Gender Faculty Specialist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Stop being so stupid, it's Sean's turn
Posts: 1,856
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes because every part is either 22 or 35 years old
Chesty Morgan is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 13:58
  #1296 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: .
Posts: 446
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
like trigger's well maintained broom....
cavokblues is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 16:57
  #1297 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Says somebody from Essex...
Quite, !
BACsuperVC10 is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 17:08
  #1298 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
However, that was in the days before multiple motorway routes between Merseyside and Manchester, which now make the latter's airport only about an hour's drive. It's even more pronounced from the Wirral side. Liverpool airport's poor (non-existent) motorway links are a significant part. Although you can see the Welsh hills to the west from Liverpool's control tower, Manchester, to the east, is actually much quicker to get to from there than Liverpool.

By the mid-1980s (after Laker and Cambrian's time), when this road network was mostly complete, there was so little traffic at Liverpool that I was quite surprised the airport was not closed down for good.


Philip Meeson has kept Jet2 in good financial position by going for financially worthwhile markets and growth with a competent product, and not indulging in willy-waving "I'm bigger than you are" over-expansion into marginal markets.
the access to Liverpool Airport by road is very good. Its dual carriage all the way to the terminal , the M57M62 are not far and M56 is easy too. Road access is not a problem at all, anecdotally, I've spoken to passengees from Staffs , Wirral, Blackburn, Llandudno and Bolton,. You have to also remember its a smaller airport and with that its quick and easy to use. Many people go for that because its less stress. If Jet2 are short of space at Manchester and if they want to have a slice of the passenger who would usually fly from Liverpool Airport out of preference, its a bit of a no brained.
BACsuperVC10 is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 17:13
  #1299 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaps1954
I really cannot see why Jet2 would want a LPL operation as a high percentage of MAN operation come from Wales and Merseyside
anyway so all that would be doing is reduce the Manchester loads.and it would add to costs plus unless they had a large based fleet
they would have the pleasure of using a handling agent instead of self handling
But then a high percentage of LPLs passengers are from the same areas, plus lancs and Greater Manchester.
BACsuperVC10 is offline  
Old 13th May 2023, 17:30
  #1300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: stockport
Posts: 475
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General gist for Jet2 is about 15 mins either way to get through now days 30 mins max in peak times and of course Jet are self handling so very quick and friendly
chaps1954 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.