PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2-6
Thread: Jet2-6
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2023, 16:08
BACsuperVC10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
However, that was in the days before multiple motorway routes between Merseyside and Manchester, which now make the latter's airport only about an hour's drive. It's even more pronounced from the Wirral side. Liverpool airport's poor (non-existent) motorway links are a significant part. Although you can see the Welsh hills to the west from Liverpool's control tower, Manchester, to the east, is actually much quicker to get to from there than Liverpool.

By the mid-1980s (after Laker and Cambrian's time), when this road network was mostly complete, there was so little traffic at Liverpool that I was quite surprised the airport was not closed down for good.

Philip Meeson has kept Jet2 in good financial position by going for financially worthwhile markets and growth with a competent product, and not indulging in willy-waving "I'm bigger than you are" over-expansion into marginal markets.
the access to Liverpool Airport by road is very good. Its dual carriage all the way to the terminal , the M57M62 are not far and M56 is easy too. Road access is not a problem at all, anecdotally, I've spoken to passengees from Staffs , Wirral, Blackburn, Llandudno and Bolton,. You have to also remember its a smaller airport and with that its quick and easy to use. Many people go for that because its less stress. If Jet2 are short of space at Manchester and if they want to have a slice of the passenger who would usually fly from Liverpool Airport out of preference, its a bit of a no brained.