Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

BA Direct Entry Pilot.

Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

BA Direct Entry Pilot.

Old 13th Jan 2019, 16:27
  #5721 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The EU
Posts: 188
Thanks for clearing that up, wiggy.

Originally Posted by RexBanner View Post

Anyone at the bottom of the P2 List hoping to get more than one Gatwick trip (at least pre swaps) every three to four months or so is likely to be disappointed.
Pretty much what I expected. Even the JFK?
Vokes55 is online now  
Old 13th Jan 2019, 16:46
  #5722 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 160 to 5
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by C212-100 View Post
Hi,

Any chance to get an idea on the A380 fleet standard rosters? How many trips a month? If someone could share a few A380 rosters, I would very much thankful.

Cheers!
Fairly straightforward C212 you’ll get a combination of somewhere between 3-4 trips each month. The fleet has it’s Western Cowboys doing the LA’s and SFO’s Chinese Barons doing SIN and HKG’s and the golfers doing the JNB’s. There is a lot of swapping going on under JSS. As a DEP you won’t get the variety that the Boeing’s do or the Cinderella (A350) fleet eventually. That can be good or bad depending on what you want to do.
Wakarider is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2019, 18:25
  #5723 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: UK
Posts: 259
380 fleet is certainly the one to be on for a new joiner. All good trips and no low credit 2 crew stuff in winter at least. If the 350 launch route crewmour is true, it won’t be half as glamorous!
fruitbat is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2019, 18:40
  #5724 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: LHR
Posts: 109
Actually, the FDP is reduced by 1 hour when operating out of LGW on 777... apparently assumes you've driven from LHR
Flap33 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2019, 19:37
  #5725 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Within 3 hours of a suitable alternate
Posts: 63
Originally Posted by Vokes55 View Post
I assume with EASA FTLs, the positioning from LHR to LGW needs to be shown. So an immediate benefit to the company is a reduction in duty hours spent (not) on the M25. I don't know exactly what arrangements BA have for pilots operating from LGW (HOTAC, taxis if required?) to comment further. What's the current benefit to the company of having all 777 drivers based in LHR?

For me personally, and I know I'm not alone, it's the difference between applying and not. One less CV to throw in the bin I suppose.
Why knowing the benefit to the company makes the difference to you applying or not... strange.

I think the answer to your question however is probably flexibility, with more trips rumoured to be going down there who knows.

Looking at the P2 777 list very little LGW work seems to go down to the juniors and if it did ever go to a Beach Fleet on current terms then I think the bids would go senior so I would save that CV for when Level takes it over.
Capt Ecureuil is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2019, 20:06
  #5726 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by Wakarider View Post


Fairly straightforward C212 you’ll get a combination of somewhere between 3-4 trips each month. The fleet has it’s Western Cowboys doing the LA’s and SFO’s Chinese Barons doing SIN and HKG’s and the golfers doing the JNB’s. There is a lot of swapping going on under JSS. As a DEP you won’t get the variety that the Boeing’s do or the Cinderella (A350) fleet eventually. That can be good or bad depending on what you want to do.
Dear Wakarider,

Thank you very much for your reply. So, I assume for those getting DEP into the A380 would a fairly feasible commuting position, even if very junior and even if commuting from the Western Europe. Is my assumption correct or way off?

Cheers and again, thank you!
C212-100 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2019, 20:07
  #5727 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by fruitbat View Post
380 fleet is certainly the one to be on for a new joiner. All good trips and no low credit 2 crew stuff in winter at least. If the 350 launch route crewmour is true, it won’t be half as glamorous!
Thank you fruitbat,

Any chance to go deeper into what the a350 is supposed to be getting tripwise?

Thanks!
C212-100 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2019, 20:23
  #5728 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by Flap33 View Post
Actually, the FDP is reduced by 1 hour when operating out of LGW on 777... apparently assumes you've driven from LHR
Ah, thanks, as in the specific Box A tables in Bidline rules?..(.there’s also the one hour non-control NCP, )
wiggy is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2019, 21:13
  #5729 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Under the table
Posts: 178
Originally Posted by C212-100 View Post
Thank you fruitbat,

Any chance to go deeper into what the a350 is supposed to be getting tripwise?

Thanks!
Nobody really knows yet. All rumours at current, even those going onto it first.
Stocious is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2019, 22:19
  #5730 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: 2miles final
Posts: 10
Can someone clarify; to be considered for airbus F/O long haul you need to have 500 hrs on 350/380?
There are no long haul seats offered to those without long haul experience?
rotordisk is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 00:28
  #5731 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The EU
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by Capt Ecureuil View Post
Why knowing the benefit to the company makes the difference to you applying or not... strange.
.
You’ve misinterpreted my post. I meant that offering an LGW-only base on the triple is the difference between applying or not, not any individual reasons why it does or doesn’t exist.

As for why that makes a difference, well I drive past Gatwick on my way to Heathrow.

Vokes55 is online now  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 01:02
  #5732 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 554
With there being no exclusive LGW base on the triple, I guess that makes the decision-making process of whether to apply or not, a little easier?
Emma Royds is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 01:15
  #5733 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The EU
Posts: 188
Correct
Vokes55 is online now  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 03:38
  #5734 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 160 to 5
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by C212-100 View Post
Dear Wakarider,

Thank you very much for your reply. So, I assume for those getting DEP into the A380 would a fairly feasible commuting position, even if very junior and even if commuting from the Western Europe. Is my assumption correct or way off?

Cheers and again, thank you!
G’day C212,

No worries, looking at a few rosters I’d say from a commuting perspective, from Europe. The A380 would be the best fleet when you start out.

Cheers PM if I can help you out more

🤙🏾🤙🏾🤙🏾
Wakarider is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 07:31
  #5735 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by wiggy View Post


That depends:

Trip lengths..anything from the odd/rare one day outliers, most trips are 3,4 or 5 day, max at the moment is the SYD trip (currently on the 777 ) which touches 9 days (departs evening of day one, gets back into LHR AM of day 9).

Time off between generally a minimum of two clear days, though in certain circumstances with certain trips it may be possible to opt to reduce time at base to a local night..OTOH the aforementioned Sydney trip demands 4 days/5 local nights off at base due to FTL constraints.

In very simplistic terms in a month with no leave embedded you possibly end up with 5 or 6 of the short (e.g. 2 or three day) trips, or say 3 or 4 of the longer trips.




Wiggy, or anyone else who knows. Could you provide some examples of trip rotations. E.g. LAX, Singapore, Johannesburg? is that a 4/3? (just guessing)? Delhi 3/3?
thanks!
pilotting is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 08:37
  #5736 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 553
BA does not work 4/3 or anything of that nature. Bidline rules currently give you a minimum 2 days off after a long haul trip, or you’ll get EASA rest if that requires longer. Bidline days off can be waived when bidding, but EASA obviously cannot (although you can bid for back to backs as long as you pay for and use the company supplied hotel). When you bid, you can request more days off, but that does not mean you will get them.

People regularly ask for typical rosters on here, but typical rosters do not really exist because they very much depend upon seniority. Typically, I would say new entrants can expect a trip then two days off, continuously, with the odd three days off perhaps once every month or two. The frequency of two days off in between trips depends on fleet, monthly CAP and the credit/length of the trips you are managing to pick up. If you work on 2 days off all the time, you might be pleasantly surprised and do a little bit better than that, but in order to join with your eyes open, you need to assume just two days off is typical or you will almost certainly be disappointed with your move.
GS-Alpha is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 08:57
  #5737 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: hang on let me check
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by GS-Alpha View Post
BA does not work 4/3 or anything of that nature. Bidline rules currently give you a minimum 2 days off after a long haul trip, or you’ll get EASA rest if that requires longer. Bidline days off can be waived when bidding, but EASA obviously cannot (although you can bid for back to backs as long as you pay for and use the company supplied hotel). When you bid, you can request more days off, but that does not mean you will get them.

People regularly ask for typical rosters on here, but typical rosters do not really exist because they very much depend upon seniority. Typically, I would say new entrants can expect a trip then two days off, continuously, with the odd three days off perhaps once every month or two. The frequency of two days off in between trips depends on fleet, monthly CAP and the credit/length of the trips you are managing to pick up. If you work on 2 days off all the time, you might be pleasantly surprised and do a little bit better than that, but in order to join with your eyes open, you need to assume just two days off is typical or you will almost certainly be disappointed with your move.

Sounds tempting
bringbackthe80s is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 09:23
  #5738 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Botswana
Posts: 685
Originally Posted by Capt Ecureuil View Post
Looking at the P2 777 list very little LGW work seems to go down to the juniors and if it did ever go to a Beach Fleet on current terms then I think the bids would go senior so I would save that CV for when Level takes it over.
Good job you’re not in charge of revenue management for IAG. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there is not a cat in hell’s chance Level is going to replace the beach fleet. For emphasis not a chance in hell. The premium cabins are always full and make BA/IAG a fortune.

Let me get this straight, you seriously think the management are so stupid that they’ll trash all of that yield and reduce their profits significantly just to spitefully reduce Pilots’ Ts and Cs? Not happening. The fear around Level is ridiculous and unwarranted.
RexBanner is online now  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 09:55
  #5739 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Within 3 hours of a suitable alternate
Posts: 63
Originally Posted by RexBanner View Post


Good job you’re not in charge of revenue management for IAG. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there is not a cat in hell’s chance Level is going to replace the beach fleet. For emphasis not a chance in hell. The premium cabins are always full and make BA/IAG a fortune.

Let me get this straight, you seriously think the management are so stupid that they’ll trash all of that yield and reduce their profits significantly just to spitefully reduce Pilots’ Ts and Cs? Not happening. The fear around Level is ridiculous and unwarranted.
Whoa! Down boy.

Touchy nerve or something. I'm quite aware of the loads thanks although I wouldn't spout about them on here, as for management stupidity, well I'll hold those views to myself.

My comment "I would save that CV for when Level takes it over." as I think most would have read was tongue in cheek. Vokes55 was looking purely for a 777 LGW roster or a 777 LGW base, tell me that my answer wasn't accurate......

But then again who knows for sure what new aircraft / routes and in what colour the future brings.... ��

EDIT
Rex.... We called their bluff on a LH LGW base a number of years ago if you remember.

Last edited by Capt Ecureuil; 14th Jan 2019 at 10:17. Reason: To save another post on the same subject.
Capt Ecureuil is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 09:59
  #5740 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Botswana
Posts: 685
I’m making the point because there’s some people who genuinely believe that level are a threat to their livelihoods and take that fear into industrial negotiations with IAG and are afraid to call their bluff. No more no less.
RexBanner is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.