Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Emirates Application 2022

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Emirates Application 2022

Old 21st Aug 2023, 23:19
  #801 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Rome
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UKcrowpilot
Hello All,

Forgive my naivety, but 30k AED with no increments doesn't seem a lot to convince someone from a reputable European airline to move the the sandbox? It's not exactly the big money I'd expected Emirates to be paying to convince people to move out there? Am I missing something?

Cheers,

UKCP
That's for an 85h month. Overtime for FOs is AED 515/h.
You may be missing the other quantifiable benefits.

-Company provided accommodation (4 bedroom villa with utilities) or housing allowance if you own property in Dubai and opt out of company provided (Around 15k AED per month for FOs).
-Health and dental coverage for the whole family.
-Layover allowance (between $60-100 per hotel night depending on the destination).
-Emirates Platinum card pretty big discounts.
-Loss of license insurance.
-End of service benefit.
-Provident fund.
-Kids education allowance (40-60K aed per annum per child below 20 years old).

If you add everything together it's around 11K-12K € for FOs on average.
Spongeboeing is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 00:34
  #802 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 436
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see where UKcrowpilot is coming from, there seemed to be a lot of silence at the roadshows and at the end people were quietly mentioning among themselves how the salary seems to be quite low. Expectations were definitely higher. Someone mentioned Etihad being much better but I've not checked.

As for layover allowances, we were told to expect about $400 a month. The platinum discount cards are great, but it's something you've to spend money with to benefit from.

Accommodation included etc is great, but it seems that the bottom line for people is the monthly salary and the current headline figure isn't very attention grabbing. It's about 2k net more than a Ryanair FO.
A320LGW is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 01:39
  #803 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,866
Received 138 Likes on 43 Posts
Don’t think layover allowances as income. You will spend it all and then some. They are based on the discount the hotel gives EK crew. For example, if breakfast at the hotel is $50 and EK gets a 50 percent discount … your allowance is $25.

When I was with EK, there were a few hotels that had a ‘special’ EK menu that was included with the room. Layover allowance … $0.

If you want to eat anywhere outside of the hotel, it comes out of your pocket. And if you feel like a cold beverage……
SOPS is online now  
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 08:43
  #804 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Rome
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW
I can see where UKcrowpilot is coming from, there seemed to be a lot of silence at the roadshows and at the end people were quietly mentioning among themselves how the salary seems to be quite low. Expectations were definitely higher. Someone mentioned Etihad being much better but I've not checked.

As for layover allowances, we were told to expect about $400 a month. The platinum discount cards are great, but it's something you've to spend money with to benefit from.

Accommodation included etc is great, but it seems that the bottom line for people is the monthly salary and the current headline figure isn't very attention grabbing. It's about 2k net more than a Ryanair FO.
Depends on the base. I switched from Ryanair to Emirates with a bunch of colleagues from Ryanair. In Ryanair when I was a contractor I made 6500€/month (without a contract and with questionable legality) and when I was on a national DAC contract I made 4500€ per month on average... with absolutely ZERO additional benefits.
Yes of course to benefit from the platinum card you need to spend money but some of the things you can do with the card are very useful. Yes, it does offer discounts up to 70% off for leisure, hotels, spas, gyms, tickets, shopping, restaurants etc, but it will also take a big chunk off the price of cars and services that you will use (cleaning, car maintenance, etc).

In the old days they used to get the hotel allowance in local currency cash in an envelop along with the hotel room key. Today they just transfer the allowance to your account in AED with your salary so there's no need to exchange it once yo get back to Dubai.
If you're in an interesting destination where the whole crew is excited to go out of course you end up using that money for dinner. But there are places that are so routine and uneventful that most people simply stay in the hotel. If you're given 70€ for a night in Frankfurt you can just grab some McDonalds for 10€ and keep the rest of the money for groceries in Dubai. It's not a lot but it adds up. Compared to most airlines in Europe including your low cost carriers Emirates is basically double money with lower expenses and in many cases it's more than what you'd make as a captain in Ryanair. You can choose the easy life with high lifestyle or you can live quietly and effortlessly save more than 50% of your salary to invest if back home. Heck if you do it right you'll end up owning an apartment or two in Dubai and the airline will have paid for it.

But honestly in my case it wasn't just about the money but the whole experience. These 4 sector days back to back 5 days in a row on earlies were just killing me. On top of that I waited 5 years in Eastern Europe before I was transferred to my preferred base in the south of Europe and just a few months after I got my transfer I started my command upgrade process knowing that they would make me move again to who knows where for at least 3 more years commuting and waiting in line to go back home (at the same time seeing how they use my preferred base as currency to attract Direct Entry Captains who skip the line). I was flying close max duty every day using discretion very frequently (knowingly before even first departure) and by the end of the day I'd been wearing the uniform for 14 hours (just like a long hauler) but having pushed through 3 ground stops that suck the life out of you. Then off work I had no assistance at all. No transportation, no hotels during the sim, nothing. It's hell. You probably know it...

During a whole year before I applied to Emirates I was in contact with a bunch of Ryanair guys who joined Emirates earlier and their advice to join was unanimous. It appears that for the majority of Ryanair people life at Emirates is a huge step up. Guys from Easyjet, Vueling, Smartwings and other loco carriers agree. For people working in other airlines it may not be so. Not all of us were lucky to start a career in our early twenties in your Air Frances, Lufthansas, Iberias or BAs.

The best way to know if Emirates is right for you is to apply and visit the place during the Dubai assessment (along with your spouse if it's the case). You can always say no later or delay it.
Spongeboeing is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 08:44
  #805 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Rome
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS
Don’t think layover allowances as income. You will spend it all and then some. They are based on the discount the hotel gives EK crew. For example, if breakfast at the hotel is $50 and EK gets a 50 percent discount … your allowance is $25.

When I was with EK, there were a few hotels that had a ‘special’ EK menu that was included with the room. Layover allowance … $0.

If you want to eat anywhere outside of the hotel, it comes out of your pocket. And if you feel like a cold beverage……
Oh ok, so that changed. When I used to work there they gave us cash in an envelop. I had the idea that the only change now is that it wasn't given in cash now and that they just added it to the monthly payment.
Spongeboeing is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 09:48
  #806 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 436
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life would certainly be a lot easier, you are taken care of rather than having to take care of yourself. The thing is there needs to be a higher actual salary to make more people seriously consider the move, at least from Europe. Many don't mind the lack of frills if it means they're surrounded by their family and get to be home. Ryanair salaries recently increased and in the UK its around £71,000 gross take home a year for a junior FO. Yes Emirates pay more, but is the differential enough to make most people want to leave.
A320LGW is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 13:36
  #807 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Not in UK
Posts: 83
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something to bear in mind with the Platinum "discounts" is that yes they are big discounts relatively speaking in Dubai. But things in Dubai are SO expensive you'll only end up paying what you would probably expect to pay anyway, especially now! It was different many years ago.

Also regarding allowance if you are planning to actually enjoy some of your layovers rather than stay in the room eating your own food or going out to McDonalds don't plan on saving anything. Because overall any money you do save on some trips will only cover the overspend on others. Remember on some trips you will be so exhausted saving money will not exactly be top of your list........

Someone also told me recently its not possible to take the accommodation allowance so check that, but again before getting excited about the accomodation allowance check the property and rental prices on propertyfinder.ae
santacruz is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 22:49
  #808 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Rome
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by santacruz
Someone also told me recently its not possible to take the accommodation allowance so check that, but again before getting excited about the accomodation allowance check the property and rental prices on propertyfinder.ae
It's still available. Not long ago they granted the accommodation allowance for anyone opting out of company accommodation no questions asked. It was possible to rent your own place with the allowance and in most cases the rent was cheaper than the allowance so you ended up with extra cash. This changed sometime during the last year and now they're only offering the allowance if you provide proof of ownership. So basically you'll only get your allowance if you own or are buying property in Dubai. No matter how you look at it it's free money that you'd lose if you don't opt out of company accommodation. I'm told most people spend the first months in Meydan looking for the right moment to buy property now. At least that's my plan.

Yes some things are expensive in Dubai. Some other things are the same price as in any main European city. Some other things are just cheaper. Good 2nd hand cars, services, fuel... Eating out or ordering from the typical Lebanese or Indian place is cheaper than in many EU city I've lived in except maybe Eastern Europe. I do remember paying 5€ for a drink at clubs when non-ek people had to pay 20€ or more. I don't party nearly as much as I used to so that's no longer a factor for me but I know that hasn't changed. In the end it's up to you and the goals you have. You can experience Dubai (if that's your thing) without breaking the bank and still save more money than you would in Europe.

Last edited by Spongeboeing; 22nd Aug 2023 at 23:09.
Spongeboeing is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 14:30
  #809 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Not in UK
Posts: 83
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spongeboeing
No matter how you look at it it's free money that you'd lose if you don't opt out of company accommodation. I'm told most people spend the first months in Meydan looking for the right moment to buy property now. At least that's my plan.
Agree with most of your post. But as this is a thread for new joiners I would just point out that although its free money once you buy your property, you need to have 25-31% of the property price up front in cash for your deposit and fees. Again make sure you check property prices! I'm not sure what you mean by waiting a few months for the "right time?" It takes a few years for prices to go up and down so you might be in Meydan more than a few months if waiting for "the right time." Again that might suit some people and will give you time to save up your deposit but do your research on Meydan.

Is the market at its peak? Who knows, but if it is and you buy now it could take a very long time to get your money back. Its fairly easy to research Dubai property price trends over the last 20 years.


santacruz is offline  
Old 24th Aug 2023, 08:11
  #810 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Rome
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by santacruz
Agree with most of your post. But as this is a thread for new joiners I would just point out that although its free money once you buy your property, you need to have 25-31% of the property price up front in cash for your deposit and fees. Again make sure you check property prices! I'm not sure what you mean by waiting a few months for the "right time?" It takes a few years for prices to go up and down so you might be in Meydan more than a few months if waiting for "the right time." Again that might suit some people and will give you time to save up your deposit but do your research on Meydan.

Is the market at its peak? Who knows, but if it is and you buy now it could take a very long time to get your money back. Its fairly easy to research Dubai property price trends over the last 20 years.
I don't really mean "the right time" as in the state of the market. It's hard to predict what property prices will do in Dubai. They've always gone up but there's always been a feeling that they're hanging by a thread and will plummet any minute. I meant the right time as in getting to know the city and its areas and the parts of it that can be considered good for living/investing. Also first you need to make sure that you're happy in Dubai and Emirates and, also importantly, that you finish your 6 month probation period with a feeling that keep doing it for 5 or 10 more years or even until retirement. If by the end of your first year you're constantly seeking a way out then there's no point in committing to the city so much. I know Dubai and I know the airline and even I am very cautious about this. If they still offered the allowance for renting I would have rented a 10000aed apartment at the Marina from day one. I don't think they'll go back to granting the allowance for renting unless both Meydan locations fill up (I don't know how likely that is).
Spongeboeing is offline  
Old 24th Aug 2023, 12:20
  #811 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,866
Received 138 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Spongeboeing
I don't really mean "the right time" as in the state of the market. It's hard to predict what property prices will do in Dubai. They've always gone up but there's always been a feeling that they're hanging by a thread and will plummet any minute. I meant the right time as in getting to know the city and its areas and the parts of it that can be considered good for living/investing. Also first you need to make sure that you're happy in Dubai and Emirates and, also importantly, that you finish your 6 month probation period with a feeling that keep doing it for 5 or 10 more years or even until retirement. If by the end of your first year you're constantly seeking a way out then there's no point in committing to the city so much. I know Dubai and I know the airline and even I am very cautious about this. If they still offered the allowance for renting I would have rented a 10000aed apartment at the Marina from day one. I don't think they'll go back to granting the allowance for renting unless both Meydan locations fill up (I don't know how likely that is).

I must correct you…property in Dubai has not always gone up. During the GFC it collapsed. People got seriously burned. People were leaving cars at the airport, with the keys in them, and running. I was there. So no…property in Dubai dies not always go up.

The next thing is…in Ek, you are only as good as your last sector, or the next pandemic. Something goes wrong, and you find yourself with a month to leave the country, and you have a house you need to sell…quick and cheap.

Be careful….very careful.
SOPS is online now  
Old 24th Aug 2023, 16:31
  #812 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: the ridge where the west commences
Posts: 770
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Property in Dubai ALWAYS goes up"

Is that you, Brett?
Dropp the Pilot is offline  
Old 24th Aug 2023, 17:36
  #813 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minimums to apply

Hi everyone!
Does anybody know or heard if they will consider applications that are below the 2000 hrs required? By “below” I mean a couple hundred hours below that figure. Asking this, because you would only be called for an interview/assessment in a few months time from application (not to mention starting the TR if successful) and by that time the hours requirement would be fulfilled.

Thanks in advance!
limpfury is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 00:44
  #814 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Rome
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can create applicant profile in the careers website but I wouldn't submit the application before reaching the required hours.
Spongeboeing is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 06:45
  #815 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by limpfury
Hi everyone!
Does anybody know or heard if they will consider applications that are below the 2000 hrs required? By “below” I mean a couple hundred hours below that figure. Asking this, because you would only be called for an interview/assessment in a few months time from application (not to mention starting the TR if successful) and by that time the hours requirement would be fulfilled.

Thanks in advance!
Including future type rating (SIM) hours towards the minimum requirement would imply that previous SIM hours have been included in ones current accounting, which goes against EK’s clear statement that SIM hours are not included in attaining their minimum experience.

TBL Warrior is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 07:59
  #816 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dubai
Age: 55
Posts: 313
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TBL Warrior
Including future type rating (SIM) hours towards the minimum requirement would imply that previous SIM hours have been included in ones current accounting, which goes against EK’s clear statement that SIM hours are not included in attaining their minimum experience.
I read his post differently - I believe he meant that he will have the hours by the time he has to start the type rating at EK.
Kennytheking is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 09:01
  #817 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brexland
Posts: 212
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone give me an average months take home figure as an FO on the 777?

PM is fine if preferred, ive been told £6-7k acerage from a friend of a friend but that seems high compared to the figures I've seen
Whitemonk Returns is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 09:34
  #818 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Rome
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitemonk Returns
Can someone give me an average months take home figure as an FO on the 777?

PM is fine if preferred, ive been told £6-7k acerage from a friend of a friend but that seems high compared to the figures I've seen
Basic Salary: £5559
Flying pay (Avg 85h at £13/h): £1107
Total: £6667 + accommodation, layover allowance and other benefits

Overtime (>85h): £111/h
Spongeboeing is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 09:34
  #819 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Not in UK
Posts: 83
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spongeboeing
They've always gone up
categorically not true.
santacruz is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 10:23
  #820 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spongeboeing
You can create applicant profile in the careers website but I wouldn't submit the application before reaching the required hours.
Thanks for the info! Will do that!
limpfury is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.