PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   All borders to reopen. (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/632861-all-borders-reopen.html)

bekolblockage 23rd May 2021 00:20


Originally Posted by 601 (Post 11049153)

Well I and all my friends have been able to go about our daily business and getting on with their lives since August last year.

Well lucky you and your friends and your insular little lives.

I worked overseas but regularly (read weekly!) came back and forth to Australia to see my immediate family and parents until March last year.
My career got thrown in the bin without the ability to do that. I would have been ok to reduce that to maybe once every 3 months. Idid manage to go back for one 6 month stint but after very nearly being refused to leave the country by an overzealous BF goon, even tho I had a copy of my work contract with me and owned my own flat overseas and resided there for over 20 years, it became evident I wasnít even going to be permitted to see them once a year.

Carry on sipping your lattes with your friends.

Dannyboy39 23rd May 2021 08:24


Originally Posted by 601 (Post 11049153)
Well I and all my friends have been able to go about our daily business and getting on with their lives since August last year."

I'm delighted to hear it... let me just get into my time machine.

Dannyboy39 23rd May 2021 08:26


Originally Posted by aviation_enthus (Post 11049338)
That my friend is a ban. Jail time for citizens was also a threat NO OTHER country made against its own citizens.

The UK has been threatening £10,000 fines and up to 10 years in prison for the worst "offenders". Like in Australia, it is an empty threat.

Troo believer 24th May 2021 11:36

What most of us on this forum have been saying for months is get vaccinated as soon as you can or face the consequences. When, not if, the virus breaks out once again youíd better be vaccinated. Apparently since the 4 cases have been found in Melbourne, people are booking in large numbers to get vaccinated. For those that think fortress Australia is the way to manage our way out of this. Ask yourselves how long are you prepared to wait? How long before we can enjoy some semblance of normality. How long will you have to wait or are prepared to wait to once again get in the flight deck and do what you aspired to do from day one? Ostriches are flightless birds. Donít become one too.

I was talking with a crew that just returned from LAX last week. Tom Bradley terminal was packed, just like it was pre COVID. Masks on, people travelling, except of cause to Australia.

Four Corners tonight just articulated this perfectly.


aviation_enthus 24th May 2021 12:47


Originally Posted by Troo believer (Post 11050352)
What most of us on this forum have been saying for months is get vaccinated as soon as you can or face the consequences. When, not if, the virus breaks out once again youíd better be vaccinated. Apparently since the 4 cases have been found in Melbourne, people are booking in large numbers to get vaccinated. For those that think fortress Australia is the way to manage our way out of this. Ask yourselves how long are you prepared to wait? How long before we can enjoy some semblance of normality. How long will you have to wait or are prepared to wait to once again get in the flight deck and do what you aspired to do from day one? Ostriches are flightless birds. Donít become one too.

I was talking with a crew that just returned from LAX last week. Tom Bradley terminal was packed, just like it was pre COVID. Masks on, people travelling, except of cause to Australia.

Four Corners tonight just articulated this perfectly.

https://youtu.be/22qHFXNI0mo

Standby for the ďdonít need to go overseas anyway, just explore AustraliaĒ style comment..... 🙄

The comment sections of anything online are filled with exactly this sort of thing. The general public donít care mate!!

I agree with you though. Australians need to get on with it and they should be making a bigger issue out of the fact itís taking so bloody long!! Not even for travel reasons, look at Taiwan. Another large outbreak is simply a matter of time.

We travelled to the USA recently and plan on heading to Europe this (northern) summer. As vaccinated travellers mind you.

PS Iím not stuck in ďfortress AusĒ, before the rest of you worry about me bringing it back...

SOPS 25th May 2021 01:50

Iím thinking ... here go the borders again.

jrfsp 25th May 2021 04:01


Originally Posted by SOPS (Post 11050832)
I’m thinking ... here go the borders again.

All states have been very measured in their response lately...including WA - but it will depend on VICs ability to contain the spread......

The problem is, even with open borders, the restrictions on masks, large events, work meetings etc etc will put a large number of people off travelling anyway

flyhigh787 25th May 2021 04:08

Too many resurgence recently in many countries and even with vaccination, people are still getting infected... Hopefully things get better soon.

Transition Layer 25th May 2021 04:25


Originally Posted by flyhigh787 (Post 11050862)
Too many resurgence recently in many countries and even with vaccination, people are still getting infected... Hopefully things get better soon.

Vaccines donít stop infection, they stop you dying.

Seatbelts donít stop car accidents, they stop you dying.

flyhigh787 25th May 2021 04:46


Originally Posted by Transition Layer (Post 11050871)
Vaccines donít stop infection, they stop you dying.

Seatbelts donít stop car accidents, they stop you dying.

Thats right. However the general reaction in 2020 was that the virus will go away once vaccines are out but now its a different story.

ruprecht 25th May 2021 04:56


Originally Posted by flyhigh787 (Post 11050883)
Thats right. However the general reaction in 2020 was that the virus will go away once vaccines are out but now its a different story.

reaction or expectation? It has been known for a while now that the vaccines prevent severe illness and death. The focus will need to move from cases to death/illness once more people are vaccinated.

halfmoon 25th May 2021 06:27

The future of australia...rolling lockdowns, cancelled bubbles, curfews, border closures, tracking apps, quarantine, separated families, hermit state.

ozbiggles 25th May 2021 07:26


Originally Posted by halfmoon (Post 11050916)
The future of australia...rolling lockdowns, cancelled bubbles, curfews, border closures, tracking apps, quarantine, separated families, hermit state.

The future of Australia...low Covid death rate, good economy, low unemployment mostly open domestic borders and freedom of movement and responsible measures to ensure it continues. If you are really in the USA it just makes your comments even more ridiculous.

LostWanderer 25th May 2021 07:52


Originally Posted by ozbiggles (Post 11050935)
The future of Australia...low Covid death rate, good economy, low unemployment mostly open domestic borders and freedom of movement and responsible measures to ensure it continues. If you are really in the USA it just makes your comments even more ridiculous.

Is this for real? Assuming this isn't an utterly sarcastic response...First part is correct on death rate, the rest I'd love to know your evidence? We are going to be in trouble if this country doesn't open up soon. Only so much money and so many jobs will be created from domestic tourism, and I can assure you that is far from what it once was right now. Who wants to fly when there could be a city/state lockdown at a moments notice? Absolutely some are and good for them, but certainly no one I know wants to plan a holiday even 2 weeks down the road and find they are locked down for that time away or can't get home - as some unlucky SA folk are discovering right about now.

Unfortunately Halfmoon nailed it. We are in for some bad times if this goes on into mid-late 2022 or even early 2023 as some have predicted. The economy isn't as rosy as you may like to think, we have had it good for too long...And this is all assuming China doesn't get any more aggressive with their currently increasing anti-Australia rhetoric. A closed country and even a partially crippled export industry ain't gonna be pretty my friend.

dysslexicgod 25th May 2021 07:53

I assume everyone here is vaccinated or is going to be ASAP?

I would also query that if this virus killed twenty somethings and thirty somethings as efficiently as it kills 80 year olds, would the preservation of airline careers still be a priority for you?

dysslexicgod 25th May 2021 08:01

Lost Wanderer:

We are going to be in trouble if this country doesn't open up soon. Only so much money and so many jobs will be created from domestic tourism, and I can assure you that is far from what it once was right now.
I beg to differ. The economy is elastic and smart parts of it are already well advanced in rebuilding themselves to prosper in the new normal. Wishing for a return to "the old days" (AKA 2019) is pointless and a waste of your valuable time. It isn't going to happen EVER because many changes are permanent.

Australians spent upwards of $60 billion annually overseas before COVID. That money is now deployed locally, which you would know if you have tried booking a domestic holiday.

Troo believer 25th May 2021 10:16


Originally Posted by dysslexicgod (Post 11050957)
Lost Wanderer:

I beg to differ. The economy is elastic and smart parts of it are already well advanced in rebuilding themselves to prosper in the new normal. Wishing for a return to "the old days" (AKA 2019) is pointless and a waste of your valuable time. It isn't going to happen EVER because many changes are permanent.

Australians spent upwards of $60 billion annually overseas before COVID. That money is now deployed locally, which you would know if you have tried booking a domestic holiday.


Join date April 2021. What skin in the game do you have? None I expect. Another troll pushing their ignorant point of view.

Inbound and outbound passenger numbers from Australia have dropped from about 900,000/ month to about 40,000 per month. Since March last year there have been more people leaving than arriving by about 10,000/month. The only reason the economy is growing at the moment is due to a massive government injection. Deficit. Take it away and watch what happens. It’s a fools paradise and not sustainable. If you’re not involved in aviation go somewhere else. If indeed you are involved in aviation, what possible reason do you have for preventing international travel? We’d love to know.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/c...ience-ranking/

ozbiggles 25th May 2021 10:48


Originally Posted by Troo believer (Post 11051052)
Join date April 2021. What skin in the game do you have? None I expect. Another troll pushing their ignorant point of view.

Inbound and outbound passenger numbers from Australia have dropped from about 900,000/ month to about 40,000 per month. Since March last year there have been more people leaving than arriving by about 10,000/month. The only reason the economy is growing at the moment is due to a massive government injection. Deficit. Take it away and watch what happens. It’s a fools paradise and not sustainable. If you’re not involved in aviation go somewhere else. If indeed you are involved in aviation, what possible reason do you have for preventing international travel? We’d love to know.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/c...ience-ranking/

So if people don't agree with you Troo they should go somewhere else? Bad luck.

It is possible for people to think beyond their own circumstances and think of the big picture.

Even some pilots believe the international travel should be prevented to areas where it is not safe to do so. I'm one of them.

All things considered the economy is doing OK considering it had to take on a 1 in a hundred year event. Now comes the repair so it can be ready for the next unknown unknown.

Check out Taiwan's present circumstances if you want to know what happens with your course of action.

Troo believer 25th May 2021 11:08


Originally Posted by ozbiggles (Post 11051069)
So if people don't agree with you Troo they should go somewhere else? Bad luck.

It is possible for people to think beyond their own circumstances and think of the big picture.

Even some pilots believe the international travel should be prevented to areas where it is not safe to do so. I'm one of them.

All things considered the economy is doing OK considering it had to take on a 1 in a hundred year event. Now comes the repair so it can be ready for the next unknown unknown.

Check out Taiwan's present circumstances if you want to know what happens with your course of action.

And what’s that? Look at Taiwan’s vaccination rate? Click on the link from my previous post. Here it is for you. Note the vaccination rate for Taiwan.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....55aa0d8c0.jpeg
I never said open the border without restrictions either but reading the rhetoric from the likes of you and others that pluck crap out of thin air in order to shock for their own gain is quite frankly piss poor. Stick to facts. Pilots are meant to be intelligent but I’m having my doubts with the few morons pushing an agenda that’s not sustainable on this thread. Lock the borders until when? When COVID is eradicated world wide? Is that your solution?

ozbiggles 25th May 2021 11:27

And note the resilience score for Australia with it's current rules set?

I'll give you some time to pick up your dummy.


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:44.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.