Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 2nd Jun 2021, 22:39
  #5001 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by cessnapete View Post
Oh dear, Re the AZ 'scare". The risk of the AZ vaccine data shows it's far more dangerous to a refuse the vaccine, than the tiny proportion of possible blood clotting.
Large proportion of UK has,(me), and is still having the AZ. So we're all doomed here??

being in the UK, you must be fully aware of the European response to AstraZeneca. Care to explain that to us. And why it is not be used in Australia for the under 50 age groups.

I’ll save you some work..

People under 40 will be offered an alternative to the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine where possible and while infection rates remain low, following a recommendation from government advisers.It comes after the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) reviewed the speed and uptake of Covid vaccines in the UK and the latest figures on very rare blood clots after first shots of the AstraZeneca vaccine.


now I am not agreeing with those responses, just pointing out what has happened here and around the world. And yes, there are plenty in the over 50 age group waiting for the Pfizer vaccine because they have been scared off AstraZeneca, including one of our state premiers.

meanwhile..Pfizer's Covid vaccine is the 'probable' cause of heart inflammation in a very small number of people who get the jab, Israel's Health Ministry claimed today.

Analysis of the jab rollout there found there had been 148 cases of myocarditis, the medical name for swelling in the heart, shortly after the patient had been vaccinated.

A total of 275 cases have been spotted so far out of around five million people given the Pfizer jab in Israel, which has had one of the world's most successful jab rollouts. The remaining 127 are thought to have happened later so a link was unclear

shouldn’t there be a scare campaign against Pfizer now.

Last edited by Foxxster; 2nd Jun 2021 at 23:26.
Foxxster is online now  
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 22:50
  #5002 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Coal Face
Posts: 756
Originally Posted by Buster Hyman View Post
This whole thing has degenerated into a mud slinging, party aligned mess & there's plenty of blame to share around Federal & State, Libs & Labor! God help us if we ever needed a genuine War Cabinet!

Chronic Snoozer is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 22:58
  #5003 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Coal Face
Posts: 756
The 'fast moving beast'
Chronic Snoozer is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 00:48
  #5004 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: SE QLD
Posts: 371
Originally Posted by Chronic Snoozer View Post
Of course!

Politics to extend state of emergency etc far more likely a reason that the “Victorian” strain is so “deadly”…
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 01:39
  #5005 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Where else?
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by ScepticalOptomist View Post
Of course!

Politics to extend state of emergency etc far more likely a reason that the “Victorian” strain is so “deadly”…
Yes. The “Humphrey Applby’s” of all Govts are working overtime right now.
More spin than an aft loaded Chipmunk.
Cafe City is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 03:15
  #5006 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 206
So much for 99.99% effective.

"University of Melbourne researchers say there has been one hotel quarantine leak per 204 Covid-19 infected travellers"

https://www.news.com.au/national/uni...f681c0a2651be6
jrfsp is online now  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 03:35
  #5007 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 587
Originally Posted by jrfsp View Post
So much for 99.99% effective.

"University of Melbourne researchers say there has been one hotel quarantine leak per 204 Covid-19 infected travellers"

https://www.news.com.au/national/uni...f681c0a2651be6
So.... 99.5% effective?
ruprecht is online now  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 03:38
  #5008 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 206
Originally Posted by ruprecht View Post
So.... 99.5% effective?
We wouldn't be flying if engines had a 0.5% failure rate.
jrfsp is online now  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 03:48
  #5009 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 133
"University of Melbourne researchers say there has been one hotel quarantine leak per 204 Covid-19 infected travellers"
Add in the non-Covid infected passengers and 99.9% effective is looking pretty reasonable….
C441 is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 06:35
  #5010 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 808
Originally Posted by jrfsp View Post
We wouldn't be flying if engines had a 0.5% failure rate.
Jesus... are you really looking at it like this?
Dannyboy39 is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2021, 01:07
  #5011 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Where else?
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by jrfsp View Post
We wouldn't be flying if engines had a 0.5% failure rate.
What a ridiculous analogy. Do you even get out of bed in the morning??
Cafe City is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2021, 01:08
  #5012 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 739
Originally Posted by ruprecht View Post
So.... 99.5% effective?
Yeh, I saw that statement in Parliament and thought to myself he better have the exact figures to back that up or he's just misled parliament and should resign.

I never watch the whackos on Sky normally but they had an interesting guy on the other day, he's an expert in demographics and he pointed out one of the potential reasons that NSW, who also has hotel quarantine, hasn't had the number or size of outbreaks that Victoria has - having lived in both cities I think he's got a point, saying that Sydney with the bulk of New South Wales' population is basically like a set of regions separated by sunken rivers, the harbour, etc. so it is not as common or as 'easy' to move around between suburbs or rather, there's not a tendency to do so with places like the northern beaches and Sutherland, etc. being almost peninsula's surrounded by rivers. In contrast, Melbourne/Vic is (to use his analogy) is like a 'fried egg', it has a centre and splays out flat in every direction with parallel roads and very few rivers or any natural barriers as such being more contiguous so the tendency is for one community to spill over into another, etc. in their daily activities, facilitating greater spreading opportunities for things like COVID.

He compared NSW and Victoria because they have similar size populations. It would be interesting to go back and see if the spread of Spanish Flu was more severe in Melbourne in the 20s than Sydney. I believe he excludes places like Perth from his analysis because WA has a vast natural barrier from other States and Adelaide/SA for similar reasons and because it's small.
AerialPerspective is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2021, 03:11
  #5013 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective View Post
Yeh, I saw that statement in Parliament and thought to myself he better have the exact figures to back that up or he's just misled parliament and should resign.

I never watch the whackos on Sky normally but they had an interesting guy on the other day, he's an expert in demographics and he pointed out one of the potential reasons that NSW, who also has hotel quarantine, hasn't had the number or size of outbreaks that Victoria has - having lived in both cities I think he's got a point, saying that Sydney with the bulk of New South Wales' population is basically like a set of regions separated by sunken rivers, the harbour, etc. so it is not as common or as 'easy' to move around between suburbs or rather, there's not a tendency to do so with places like the northern beaches and Sutherland, etc. being almost peninsula's surrounded by rivers. In contrast, Melbourne/Vic is (to use his analogy) is like a 'fried egg', it has a centre and splays out flat in every direction with parallel roads and very few rivers or any natural barriers as such being more contiguous so the tendency is for one community to spill over into another, etc. in their daily activities, facilitating greater spreading opportunities for things like COVID.

He compared NSW and Victoria because they have similar size populations. It would be interesting to go back and see if the spread of Spanish Flu was more severe in Melbourne in the 20s than Sydney. I believe he excludes places like Perth from his analysis because WA has a vast natural barrier from other States and Adelaide/SA for similar reasons and because it's small.

sounds like a load of bollocks. If he doesn’t think people move around in Sydney the man is an imbecile or an academic completely out of touch with reality.

We have also only had about 6 days of lockdown in Sydney versus over 100 in Melbourne. Lot more moving around in Sydney.

Foxxster is online now  
Old 4th Jun 2021, 03:33
  #5014 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Asia Pacific
Age: 50
Posts: 1,919
AZ costs €1.8 per jab, Pfizer is between €16 and €20. That’s the reason the media tell you AZ cause blood clots but Pfizer doesn’t.

2 shots per person in Australia €95m for AZ

2 shots per person in Australia €800m for Pfizer

And why is each new strain in Sicktoria more deadly and more infectious? Last lockdown was because of the deadly and highly infectious UK strain which seems to be fairy benign now, compared to why the deadly and highly infectious Indian strain...
and not the weak as sh1t kappa strain, they’ve escalated to the killer mutant deadly Delta strain now

It will be the the lethal Antarctic strain next week
minigundiplomat is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2021, 03:57
  #5015 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat View Post
AZ costs €1.8 per jab, Pfizer is between €16 and €20. That’s the reason the media tell you AZ cause blood clots but Pfizer doesn’t.

2 shots per person in Australia €95m for AZ

2 shots per person in Australia €800m for Pfizer

And why is each new strain in Sicktoria more deadly and more infectious? Last lockdown was because of the deadly and highly infectious UK strain which seems to be fairy benign now, compared to why the deadly and highly infectious Indian strain...
and not the weak as sh1t kappa strain, they’ve escalated to the killer mutant deadly Delta strain now

It will be the the lethal Antarctic strain next week
thats Pfizer’s special pandemic pricing. Their ongoing pricing is significantly more than that. And already and as well all knew or suspected, the UK are mentioning the need for booster Pfizer shots to combat the variants. These will no doubt be priced at their post pandemic pricing. Worldwide, if Pfizer only give 1 billion booster shots per year, …. Ongoing for who knows how long, forever like the flu shots probably..

Amid the high-stakes fight against COVID-19, a company at the forefront of the vaccine effort is laying plans to hike prices after the crisis. A top Pfizer exec said the drugmaker aims to charge more after the "pandemic pricing environment," and an influential analyst says the company could be eying prices 3 to 4 times higher.

On an earnings call earlier this month, Chief Financial Officer Frank D’Amelio said that “obviously,” the company is “going to get more on price” after the “pandemic pricing environment." He was speaking in response to Bank of America Merrill Lynch analyst Jason Zemansky, who asked the management team about how profit margins for the program could change over time.

In short, D’Amelio explained that Pfizer expects its COVID vaccine margins to improve. Under one pandemic supply deal, Pfizer is charging the U.S. $19.50 per dose, D'Amelio said, which is “not a normal price like we typically get for a vaccine—$150, $175 per dose. So, pandemic pricing.”
Foxxster is online now  
Old 4th Jun 2021, 08:29
  #5016 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 739
Originally Posted by Foxxster View Post
sounds like a load of bollocks. If he doesn’t think people move around in Sydney the man is an imbecile or an academic completely out of touch with reality.

We have also only had about 6 days of lockdown in Sydney versus over 100 in Melbourne. Lot more moving around in Sydney.
He wasn’t saying that no one moves around in Sydney - he was saying as I stated that Melbourne is more contiguous than Sydney, it doesn’t have the natural barriers that provide some degree of isolation for groups of suburbs.

If you think he’s an ‘imbecile’ then perhaps post your qualifications in demographics.
AerialPerspective is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2021, 10:52
  #5017 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Lost in Space
Posts: 201
Originally Posted by Foxxster View Post

We have also only had about 6 days of lockdown in Sydney versus over 100 in Melbourne. Lot more moving around in Sydney.
That pretty much supports the theory.
t_cas is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2021, 11:45
  #5018 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: 500 miles from Chaikhosi, Yogistan
Posts: 3,911
The other factor in the downstream relative cost of the vaccines is the Pf needs certain storage conditions, then mixing and strictly documented time controls during the jab day.
AZ you just get from the fridge and poke.
compressor stall is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2021, 12:08
  #5019 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 739
Originally Posted by t_cas View Post
That pretty much supports the theory.
Precisely what I was trying to indicate. Having lived in both cities for more than a decade each time, when I lived in Sydney and looked to go out with friends, we didn't go to the Northern Beaches, we might once in a while, whereas if a friend asked me out to lunch (absent a lockdown of course) on the other side of Melbourne from where I live, I wouldn't think twice as it's easy to get to with lots of interconnecting roads that are easy to remember and navigate because virtually everything's on a grid. That means that suburb A, has direct contact with suburb B and like a domino, people from B have exposure to suburb C and then D and so on. In Sydney/NSW, you get to D and there's a river or a harbor so there's a natural barrier which is why I think the theory has merit as it makes sense.

The other factor cited, not as strong as the other element but would have an effect is that Sydney's migrant/ethnic communities tend to be cohesive and centred on one area. In Melbourne this has never been the case, yeh, there are small pockets of concentration, but mostly, the communities are very diverse with no tendency toward 'enclaves' such as Sydney. Another reason interaction between communities is different to Melbourne.
AerialPerspective is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2021, 18:05
  #5020 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NQLD
Age: 35
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective View Post
Precisely what I was trying to indicate. Having lived in both cities for more than a decade each time, when I lived in Sydney and looked to go out with friends, we didn't go to the Northern Beaches, we might once in a while, whereas if a friend asked me out to lunch (absent a lockdown of course) on the other side of Melbourne from where I live, I wouldn't think twice as it's easy to get to with lots of interconnecting roads that are easy to remember and navigate because virtually everything's on a grid. That means that suburb A, has direct contact with suburb B and like a domino, people from B have exposure to suburb C and then D and so on. In Sydney/NSW, you get to D and there's a river or a harbor so there's a natural barrier which is why I think the theory has merit as it makes sense.

The other factor cited, not as strong as the other element but would have an effect is that Sydney's migrant/ethnic communities tend to be cohesive and centred on one area. In Melbourne this has never been the case, yeh, there are small pockets of concentration, but mostly, the communities are very diverse with no tendency toward 'enclaves' such as Sydney. Another reason interaction between communities is different to Melbourne.
You all fell for the classic “look over there!!” ploy from the Victorian government…

All this arguing about movement in Sydney vs Melbourne ignores the massive differences in contact tracing capabilities (no organised QR system) or the fact that Victoria has had 3 seperate inquiries into HQ.

However both states have had to deal with incompetence on the Federal level. It’s just that NSW appear to have a better state government at an operational level anyway.

The last “snap lockdown” was also due to a “highly virulent strain”. The lockdown last year was blamed on everything including the fact it spread easier in Victoria vs the rest of the world… There’s a trend here in the political spin. Don’t fall for it!!
aviation_enthus is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.