Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 23rd May 2021, 09:24
  #4801 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 956
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 601
Well I and all my friends have been able to go about our daily business and getting on with their lives since August last year."
I'm delighted to hear it... let me just get into my time machine.
Dannyboy39 is offline  
Old 23rd May 2021, 09:26
  #4802 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 956
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aviation_enthus
That my friend is a ban. Jail time for citizens was also a threat NO OTHER country made against its own citizens.
The UK has been threatening £10,000 fines and up to 10 years in prison for the worst "offenders". Like in Australia, it is an empty threat.
Dannyboy39 is offline  
Old 24th May 2021, 12:36
  #4803 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 343
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
What most of us on this forum have been saying for months is get vaccinated as soon as you can or face the consequences. When, not if, the virus breaks out once again youíd better be vaccinated. Apparently since the 4 cases have been found in Melbourne, people are booking in large numbers to get vaccinated. For those that think fortress Australia is the way to manage our way out of this. Ask yourselves how long are you prepared to wait? How long before we can enjoy some semblance of normality. How long will you have to wait or are prepared to wait to once again get in the flight deck and do what you aspired to do from day one? Ostriches are flightless birds. Donít become one too.

I was talking with a crew that just returned from LAX last week. Tom Bradley terminal was packed, just like it was pre COVID. Masks on, people travelling, except of cause to Australia.

Four Corners tonight just articulated this perfectly.

Troo believer is offline  
Old 24th May 2021, 13:47
  #4804 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NQLD
Age: 37
Posts: 276
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troo believer
What most of us on this forum have been saying for months is get vaccinated as soon as you can or face the consequences. When, not if, the virus breaks out once again youíd better be vaccinated. Apparently since the 4 cases have been found in Melbourne, people are booking in large numbers to get vaccinated. For those that think fortress Australia is the way to manage our way out of this. Ask yourselves how long are you prepared to wait? How long before we can enjoy some semblance of normality. How long will you have to wait or are prepared to wait to once again get in the flight deck and do what you aspired to do from day one? Ostriches are flightless birds. Donít become one too.

I was talking with a crew that just returned from LAX last week. Tom Bradley terminal was packed, just like it was pre COVID. Masks on, people travelling, except of cause to Australia.

Four Corners tonight just articulated this perfectly.

https://youtu.be/22qHFXNI0mo
Standby for the ďdonít need to go overseas anyway, just explore AustraliaĒ style comment..... 🙄

The comment sections of anything online are filled with exactly this sort of thing. The general public donít care mate!!

I agree with you though. Australians need to get on with it and they should be making a bigger issue out of the fact itís taking so bloody long!! Not even for travel reasons, look at Taiwan. Another large outbreak is simply a matter of time.

We travelled to the USA recently and plan on heading to Europe this (northern) summer. As vaccinated travellers mind you.

PS Iím not stuck in ďfortress AusĒ, before the rest of you worry about me bringing it back...
aviation_enthus is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 02:50
  #4805 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,858
Received 119 Likes on 39 Posts
Iím thinking ... here go the borders again.
SOPS is online now  
Old 25th May 2021, 05:01
  #4806 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 203
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS
I’m thinking ... here go the borders again.
All states have been very measured in their response lately...including WA - but it will depend on VICs ability to contain the spread......

The problem is, even with open borders, the restrictions on masks, large events, work meetings etc etc will put a large number of people off travelling anyway
jrfsp is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 05:08
  #4807 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: mars
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too many resurgence recently in many countries and even with vaccination, people are still getting infected... Hopefully things get better soon.
flyhigh787 is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 05:25
  #4808 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not at work
Posts: 1,565
Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by flyhigh787
Too many resurgence recently in many countries and even with vaccination, people are still getting infected... Hopefully things get better soon.
Vaccines donít stop infection, they stop you dying.

Seatbelts donít stop car accidents, they stop you dying.
Transition Layer is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 05:46
  #4809 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: mars
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Transition Layer
Vaccines donít stop infection, they stop you dying.

Seatbelts donít stop car accidents, they stop you dying.
Thats right. However the general reaction in 2020 was that the virus will go away once vaccines are out but now its a different story.
flyhigh787 is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 05:56
  #4810 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 642
Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flyhigh787
Thats right. However the general reaction in 2020 was that the virus will go away once vaccines are out but now its a different story.
reaction or expectation? It has been known for a while now that the vaccines prevent severe illness and death. The focus will need to move from cases to death/illness once more people are vaccinated.
ruprecht is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 07:27
  #4811 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The future of australia...rolling lockdowns, cancelled bubbles, curfews, border closures, tracking apps, quarantine, separated families, hermit state.
halfmoon is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 08:26
  #4812 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 938
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by halfmoon
The future of australia...rolling lockdowns, cancelled bubbles, curfews, border closures, tracking apps, quarantine, separated families, hermit state.
The future of Australia...low Covid death rate, good economy, low unemployment mostly open domestic borders and freedom of movement and responsible measures to ensure it continues. If you are really in the USA it just makes your comments even more ridiculous.
ozbiggles is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 08:52
  #4813 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 155
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ozbiggles
The future of Australia...low Covid death rate, good economy, low unemployment mostly open domestic borders and freedom of movement and responsible measures to ensure it continues. If you are really in the USA it just makes your comments even more ridiculous.
Is this for real? Assuming this isn't an utterly sarcastic response...First part is correct on death rate, the rest I'd love to know your evidence? We are going to be in trouble if this country doesn't open up soon. Only so much money and so many jobs will be created from domestic tourism, and I can assure you that is far from what it once was right now. Who wants to fly when there could be a city/state lockdown at a moments notice? Absolutely some are and good for them, but certainly no one I know wants to plan a holiday even 2 weeks down the road and find they are locked down for that time away or can't get home - as some unlucky SA folk are discovering right about now.

Unfortunately Halfmoon nailed it. We are in for some bad times if this goes on into mid-late 2022 or even early 2023 as some have predicted. The economy isn't as rosy as you may like to think, we have had it good for too long...And this is all assuming China doesn't get any more aggressive with their currently increasing anti-Australia rhetoric. A closed country and even a partially crippled export industry ain't gonna be pretty my friend.
LostWanderer is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 08:53
  #4814 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: kennel
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume everyone here is vaccinated or is going to be ASAP?

I would also query that if this virus killed twenty somethings and thirty somethings as efficiently as it kills 80 year olds, would the preservation of airline careers still be a priority for you?
dysslexicgod is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 09:01
  #4815 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: kennel
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost Wanderer:
We are going to be in trouble if this country doesn't open up soon. Only so much money and so many jobs will be created from domestic tourism, and I can assure you that is far from what it once was right now.
I beg to differ. The economy is elastic and smart parts of it are already well advanced in rebuilding themselves to prosper in the new normal. Wishing for a return to "the old days" (AKA 2019) is pointless and a waste of your valuable time. It isn't going to happen EVER because many changes are permanent.

Australians spent upwards of $60 billion annually overseas before COVID. That money is now deployed locally, which you would know if you have tried booking a domestic holiday.
dysslexicgod is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 11:16
  #4816 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 343
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dysslexicgod
Lost Wanderer:

I beg to differ. The economy is elastic and smart parts of it are already well advanced in rebuilding themselves to prosper in the new normal. Wishing for a return to "the old days" (AKA 2019) is pointless and a waste of your valuable time. It isn't going to happen EVER because many changes are permanent.

Australians spent upwards of $60 billion annually overseas before COVID. That money is now deployed locally, which you would know if you have tried booking a domestic holiday.

Join date April 2021. What skin in the game do you have? None I expect. Another troll pushing their ignorant point of view.

Inbound and outbound passenger numbers from Australia have dropped from about 900,000/ month to about 40,000 per month. Since March last year there have been more people leaving than arriving by about 10,000/month. The only reason the economy is growing at the moment is due to a massive government injection. Deficit. Take it away and watch what happens. It’s a fools paradise and not sustainable. If you’re not involved in aviation go somewhere else. If indeed you are involved in aviation, what possible reason do you have for preventing international travel? We’d love to know.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/c...ience-ranking/
Troo believer is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 11:48
  #4817 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 938
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Troo believer
Join date April 2021. What skin in the game do you have? None I expect. Another troll pushing their ignorant point of view.

Inbound and outbound passenger numbers from Australia have dropped from about 900,000/ month to about 40,000 per month. Since March last year there have been more people leaving than arriving by about 10,000/month. The only reason the economy is growing at the moment is due to a massive government injection. Deficit. Take it away and watch what happens. It’s a fools paradise and not sustainable. If you’re not involved in aviation go somewhere else. If indeed you are involved in aviation, what possible reason do you have for preventing international travel? We’d love to know.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/c...ience-ranking/
So if people don't agree with you Troo they should go somewhere else? Bad luck.

It is possible for people to think beyond their own circumstances and think of the big picture.

Even some pilots believe the international travel should be prevented to areas where it is not safe to do so. I'm one of them.

All things considered the economy is doing OK considering it had to take on a 1 in a hundred year event. Now comes the repair so it can be ready for the next unknown unknown.

Check out Taiwan's present circumstances if you want to know what happens with your course of action.
ozbiggles is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 12:08
  #4818 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 343
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ozbiggles
So if people don't agree with you Troo they should go somewhere else? Bad luck.

It is possible for people to think beyond their own circumstances and think of the big picture.

Even some pilots believe the international travel should be prevented to areas where it is not safe to do so. I'm one of them.

All things considered the economy is doing OK considering it had to take on a 1 in a hundred year event. Now comes the repair so it can be ready for the next unknown unknown.

Check out Taiwan's present circumstances if you want to know what happens with your course of action.
And what’s that? Look at Taiwan’s vaccination rate? Click on the link from my previous post. Here it is for you. Note the vaccination rate for Taiwan.



I never said open the border without restrictions either but reading the rhetoric from the likes of you and others that pluck crap out of thin air in order to shock for their own gain is quite frankly piss poor. Stick to facts. Pilots are meant to be intelligent but I’m having my doubts with the few morons pushing an agenda that’s not sustainable on this thread. Lock the borders until when? When COVID is eradicated world wide? Is that your solution?
Troo believer is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 12:27
  #4819 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 938
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
And note the resilience score for Australia with it's current rules set?

I'll give you some time to pick up your dummy.
ozbiggles is offline  
Old 25th May 2021, 12:31
  #4820 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NQLD
Age: 37
Posts: 276
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ozbiggles
Check out Taiwan's present circumstances if you want to know what happens with your course of action.
Not sure a comparison with Taiwan is useful to your argument....
- island
- quarantine restrictions on arrival
- democracy
​​​​​​- reasonable health system
Seems pretty similar to Australia to be honest, oh and they even have a more pathetic vaccine roll out than we do!! Never thought Iíd say that, but there you go...

If you really want to use Taiwan, itís a perfect example of what could happen in Australia. An outbreak in a largely unvaccinated population.... Ring any bells???
aviation_enthus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.