Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 6th Dec 2020, 09:44
  #2281 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1A_Please View Post
I was a bit confused by that too.
About 30% of people getting in arent citizens or permanent residents. 19 000 new visas have been issued since the caps started.
michigan j is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2020, 10:06
  #2282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne
Age: 50
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glekichi View Post
Amazing to have so many people so close when only one in just under a million Australians have been infected.
Stats show COVID-19 is inconsequential to the vast, vast, majority of those infected.
Your anecdotal evidence is weak.
Kind of hilarious -- a pilot (I guess) who doesn't understand chance events, and decides to miscalculate a ratio by about 10^4 ---.Vic is 20K cases from around 6M ppl, that's better than one in a thousand. Anyway:

Person 1 was an early bird, got on the wrong side of the Austrian barman super-spreader. Look it up.
Person 2, stood down person from aviation, caught it via community transmission before than main Vic lockdown.
Person 3 is Mrs Person 2

It's not rare here. It has a pretty good strike rate for messing up 45-somethings and upwards, from what I can tell.
On the positive side, Person 2's antibodies are still rocking a few months later, which is a good sign for vaxxes.

Last edited by unexplained blip; 6th Dec 2020 at 10:10. Reason: second thoughts, remove identiable information
unexplained blip is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2020, 10:47
  #2283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Island
Age: 42
Posts: 529
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unexplained blip View Post
Kind of hilarious -- a pilot (I guess) who doesn't understand chance events, and decides to miscalculate a ratio by about 10^4 ---.Vic is 20K cases from around 6M ppl, that's better than one in a thousand. Anyway:

Person 1 was an early bird, got on the wrong side of the Austrian barman super-spreader. Look it up.
Person 2, stood down person from aviation, caught it via community transmission before than main Vic lockdown.
Person 3 is Mrs Person 2

It's not rare here. It has a pretty good strike rate for messing up 45-somethings and upwards, from what I can tell.
On the positive side, Person 2's antibodies are still rocking a few months later, which is a good sign for vaxxes.
Yes, I didn't bother too much with the maths and did leave a few zeros off as a result. My error, but that's not the point.
In fact, you've almost made my point for me. Your situation is a highly unusual chance event, just like your other observations about it.
I knew someone who literally died in their 20s from influenza, but I understand that it was just incredibly unlucky, just like someone mid 40s actually suffering worse than a common cold from this thing.

glekichi is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2020, 11:04
  #2284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 2,205
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by glekichi View Post
Yes, I didn't bother too much with the maths and did leave a few zeros off as a result. My error, but that's not the point.
In fact, you've almost made my point for me. Your situation is a highly unusual chance event, just like your other observations about it.
I knew someone who literally died in their 20s from influenza, but I understand that it was just incredibly unlucky, just like someone mid 40s actually suffering worse than a common cold from this thing.
So you have scientific evidence to support your claim?
morno is online now  
Old 6th Dec 2020, 11:08
  #2285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NT
Posts: 201
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glekichi View Post
Yes, I didn't bother too much with the maths and did leave a few zeros off as a result. My error, but that's not the point.
In fact, you've almost made my point for me. Your situation is a highly unusual chance event, just like your other observations about it.
I knew someone who literally died in their 20s from influenza, but I understand that it was just incredibly unlucky, just like someone mid 40s actually suffering worse than a common cold from this thing.
meh. Whatís a few zeros between friends.

Last edited by chookcooker; 6th Dec 2020 at 11:24.
chookcooker is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2020, 11:58
  #2286 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,698
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
And for all of you that think itís just like the flu .. and you wonít lose your medical if you get it.. you may lose something worse !!


https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...a7125de493f29e
SOPS is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2020, 12:04
  #2287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not at work
Posts: 1,526
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS View Post
And for all of you that think itís just like the flu .. and you wonít lose your medical if you get it.. you may lose something worse !!


https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...a7125de493f29e
At least that should guarantee the anti-vaxers wonít be able to reproduce
Transition Layer is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2020, 12:50
  #2288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne
Age: 50
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glekichi View Post
Yes, I didn't bother too much with the maths and did leave a few zeros off as a result. My error, but that's not the point.
In fact, you've almost made my point for me. Your situation is a highly unusual chance event, just like your other observations about it.
I knew someone who literally died in their 20s from influenza, but I understand that it was just incredibly unlucky, just like someone mid 40s actually suffering worse than a common cold from this thing.
There's no assistance from me for your argument, I will recap. Back at post #2283 you demonstrated ignorance of the reality of COVID-19 prevalence in Victoria by a factor of 10,000. You then proceeded to the infer that I had fabricated or embellished a story: "... sprouting uninformed anecdotal bullshit...".

Your point, indicated by "... (someone would be) incredibly unlucky, just like someone mid 40s actually suffering worse than a common cold from this thing ...", is supported by evidence or professional opinion about COVID-19 from what source? Or personal belief based on observing the world around you, or even wishing it a certain way?












unexplained blip is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2020, 16:15
  #2289 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Island
Age: 42
Posts: 529
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unexplained blip View Post
There's no assistance from me for your argument, I will recap. Back at post #2283 you demonstrated ignorance of the reality of COVID-19 prevalence in Victoria by a factor of 10,000. You then proceeded to the infer that I had fabricated or embellished a story: "... sprouting uninformed anecdotal bullshit...".

Your point, indicated by "... (someone would be) incredibly unlucky, just like someone mid 40s actually suffering worse than a common cold from this thing ...", is supported by evidence or professional opinion about COVID-19 from what source? Or personal belief based on observing the world around you, or even wishing it a certain way?
You stated anyone suggesting the virus is inconsequential is "sprouting uninformed bullshit" and gave anecdotal evidence that a few neighbours have it thus it's dangerous to those in their 40s.
I suggested that itself is "sprouting uninformed anecdotal bullshit" because the data itself shows 99.4% of people with the virus in that age group are either asymptomatic or have only mild symptoms. Your extremely unlucky situation to have so many people at that age with severe symptoms in such a close proximity does not reflect the norm with this virus. That is the only point I was trying to raise.
glekichi is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2020, 19:01
  #2290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 328
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C441 View Post
Even if it is not a requirement of your employer it may well be a requirement of various other countries on your airline's network.
As was the case with a couple of countries not permitting crew over 65, it may see some pilots having to move to a domestic fleet if they aren't prepared to be vaccinated.
no jab....no job....itís the policy coming to an airline near you. There is no escape....
goodonyamate is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2020, 20:43
  #2291 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Most locked down city in the world
Posts: 546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goodonyamate View Post
no jab....no job....itís the policy coming to an airline near you. There is no escape....
So if you inoculate 10,000 staff, every one of those 10,000 staff have all different immune responses and different metabolisms.
I'II take the jab no problem as long as you can guarantee it won't cause havoc with your pancreas, liver, autonomic nervous system
in 5 years time. Or have they tested all that.
Note all these med companies haven't explained what contents are in the vile.
Usually if you eat something you would like to know what's in the contents as described on the packet.
Doesn't matter about your health in 5 years time, get those planes flying.
You can change me to a pro vaccine any day, if you can get rid of the neurotoxins associated with them.
Turnleft080 is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2020, 21:23
  #2292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: East of Westralia
Posts: 550
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glekichi View Post
You stated anyone suggesting the virus is inconsequential is "sprouting uninformed bullshit" and gave anecdotal evidence that a few neighbours have it thus it's dangerous to those in their 40s.
I suggested that itself is "sprouting uninformed anecdotal bullshit" because the data itself shows 99.4% of people with the virus in that age group are either asymptomatic or have only mild symptoms. Your extremely unlucky situation to have so many people at that age with severe symptoms in such a close proximity does not reflect the norm with this virus. That is the only point I was trying to raise.
Precisely. I know 9 people
who had COVID-19. The worst symptom for 1 of them was a mild temp for a day. The rest suffered from a runny nose, or lack of taste and smell for a week or two.

Doesnít mean COVID-19 is harmless to everyone - but for over 99% itís barley an issue.

A lot of people have trouble with statistics....
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2020, 02:50
  #2293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 311
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScepticalOptomist View Post

Doesnít mean COVID-19 is harmless to everyone - but for over 99% itís barley an issue.

A lot of people have trouble with statistics....
I think you might be the one who has a problem with statistics.

UK death rate is 3.6%
USA death rate is 1.9%

I think itís safe to say that well over 1% of people who catch COVID have a rather large issue (i.e. they dead). Feel free to educate yourself at the following link,

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

I think itís also safe to say, well over 1% of people have serious consequences, the US had over 100,000 people in intensive care on 2 Dec.
Slezy9 is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2020, 03:07
  #2294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: 500 miles from Chaikhosi, Yogistan
Posts: 4,146
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ScepticalOptomist View Post
but for over 99% itís barley an issue.

A lot of people have trouble with statistics....
I can't find my calculator, but can you remind me what 1% of Australia's population would be?

And when the hospitals ICU wards are full, and perfectly healthy you have a stroke / heart attack / car crash injury where do you go? The local medical centre?
compressor stall is online now  
Old 7th Dec 2020, 05:00
  #2295 (permalink)  
601
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Age: 76
Posts: 1,405
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't find my calculator, but can you remind me what 1% of Australia's population would be?
I can do that in my head. Based on 25627453 it is 25627
If we had a rate that Belgium has we would be looking at 38636 deaths
Belgium was being held up as a country that was doing good earlier in the year.

What happened??
601 is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2020, 05:50
  #2296 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Johannesburg
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slezy9 View Post
I think you might be the one who has a problem with statistics.

UK death rate is 3.6%
USA death rate is 1.9%
This data is skewed in that there is a large number of people with the virus who don't get tested. What is clear, is that the more testing that gets done, the more the fatality rate gets reduced. Again, I'm not anti-vax, I will take the vaccine, same as I take the flu vaccine. But fat load of good that's done eliminating the flu.
boeinga320 is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2020, 06:04
  #2297 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 0
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, after what I have seen the last two days in Sydney. Domestic appears to be going pretty hard JQ check in packed, central food court and following to JQ side shoulder to shoulder good to see all the shops open again.
Ragnor is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2020, 06:13
  #2298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,967
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by boeinga320 View Post
This But fat load of good that's done eliminating the flu.
Because thatís not what itís purpose is, read these:

It's incorrect to say flu vaccines don't work

Fact check: Flu vaccine hasn't eradicated the flu, but it has lessened the burden of the virus
dr dre is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2020, 07:02
  #2299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Johannesburg
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touchť dr dre. I did exactly what I hate others doing, and tried to make a point using an irrelevant comparison. My apologies. However, having had both covid and the flu, I still feel that all of our opinions on how this thing has been handled are valid because they come from our individual experiences. I understand that certain people feel the lockdowns should be stricter. I understand people are scared, and I can empathise. I also realise that some people are scared of dying, and others are scared of not living. I usually spend my off time jumping out of planes, or surfing. I haven't done either of those things since March. To me, spending a year of my youth hiding from a virus that I've already had; of course I will have a different opinion to someone more vulnerable or risk-averse. I've lost my career, my car, and haven't seen my girlfriend since February due to this. I'm scraping by (got my first big job in Jan, retrenched in March). I'm not looking for sympathy here, just explaining why some people may have differing opinions. I feel like I've done my part (except contracting covid but I isolated strictly then). If this vaccine doesn't work, is this us for good? Where do we draw the line on things that have risk? Like what is the exact percentage? Do we ban cars, alcohol, playing rugby? We seem to have completely rejected the fact that we're all going to die at some stage. And for those that are scared, and have already made their money, why can't they just continue doing what they've been doing? Why do the rest of us have to isolate also? Anyways, way off topic sorry, I should be doing something more productive on a Monday. Anyone need to be flown anywhere?
boeinga320 is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2020, 07:39
  #2300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weltschmerz-By-The-Sea, Queensland, Australia
Age: 100
Posts: 1,295
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
But the vaccine does work, with up to 95% effectiveness. It may end up becoming a periodic jab to maintain effectiveness, and if 70% of the population is immunised then the incidence of illness in the community should reduce to manageable levels. If the flat-earth subset of populations continue to embrace stupid behaviours then we will continue to see isolated pockets of disease, but they should in theory be easily contained.

Disclaimer: no graduate degree in this or any related field.
Australopithecus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.