Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 2nd Dec 2020, 07:55
  #2201 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Jungle
Posts: 638
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Covid Pfizer vaccine approved for use next week in UK

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55145696

Good news on the horizon!
smiling monkey is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 21:05
  #2202 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 0
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vaccine canít come quick enough. International arrivals are a ticking time bomb for the country. Iíd vote for stopping all arrivals but you canít do that I guess.
Ragnor is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 22:00
  #2203 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weltschmerz-By-The-Sea, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,350
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
...and the virus again may be in the wild following yet another quarantine hotel worker found positive, this time in Sydney. I reckon every international arrival has probably cost the country on average about $50 million in lost economic activity. Each.
Australopithecus is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 22:26
  #2204 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 605
Received 87 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Australopithecus
...and the virus again may be in the wild following yet another quarantine hotel worker found positive, this time in Sydney. I reckon every international arrival has probably cost the country on average about $50 million in lost economic activity. Each.
Must be those private security guards
Ladloy is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 23:08
  #2205 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Australopithecus
...and the virus again may be in the wild following yet another quarantine hotel worker found positive, this time in Sydney. I reckon every international arrival has probably cost the country on average about $50 million in lost economic activity. Each.
this time a HQ cleaner who was working at multiple hotels (both HQ and non HQ)
SA was HQ security who were working second jobs at a pizza restaurant
Vic wasnít it HQ security who were Uber delivery drivers on the side?

if weíre spending hundreds of millions on hotel quarantine surely we can pay the workers enough in danger money so that they donít need second/third/fourth jobs
WhisprSYD is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 00:21
  #2206 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,192
Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts
Or why donít we just do the thing that shouldíve happened after the Victorian outbreak, definitely should have happened after the Adelaide outbreak and if weíre not doing it after this one weíre certifiably insane and our nationís leaders are brain dead:

Quarantine all international arrivals in remote locations. Desert camps, military bases, offshore islands. Where workers at those facilities are not risking unintentionally becoming super spreaders in crowded cities on their days off as the ones whoíve accidentally become superspreaders after CBD hotel quarantine have.

Itís getting ridiculous now. Itís time for our countryís leaders to step up and act.
dr dre is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 01:42
  #2207 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 0
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
Or why donít we just do the thing that shouldíve happened after the Victorian outbreak, definitely should have happened after the Adelaide outbreak and if weíre not doing it after this one weíre certifiably insane and our nationís leaders are brain dead:

Quarantine all international arrivals in remote locations. Desert camps, military bases, offshore islands. Where workers at those facilities are not risking unintentionally becoming super spreaders in crowded cities on their days off as the ones whoíve accidentally become superspreaders after CBD hotel quarantine have.

Itís getting ridiculous now. Itís time for our countryís leaders to step up and act.
I agree to that.
Ragnor is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 04:37
  #2208 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 145
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Seperate camps for say up to 200 arrivals, well paid staff work the same 2 weeks as the Quarantined arrivals, everyone tested regularly, and final test at end of the 2 week period.
Then everyone heads home.
2 weeks later that crew of workers return to same camp,bit like FIFO, and process is repeated with a new group of overseas arrivals.
Boe787 is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 06:00
  #2209 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Most locked down city in the world
Posts: 546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WA premier McGowan straight on the blower weighing up the one case in NSW. CHC monitoring like a hawk standing bye waiting on the process.
I bet if their is one more case or 2 the border will close again. Open close open close, really great for Christmas bookings.
Gladys just hide this one under the carpet don't tell him.
Turnleft080 is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 06:40
  #2210 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Equatorial
Age: 50
Posts: 1,011
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts
Some of these comments in regards to repatriations are fairly out there!

Not sure why they don’t ramp up Howard Springs to its full 3500 bed potential, that would certainly help clear the backlog of 50,000 trying to get home.

Hotel quarantine should work, the problem is the lack of discipline in some places. Don’t forget in most places aircrew still get to hotel quarantine for a night when operating through and requiring rest. Like the Canadians it is only as strong as the weakest link.

The problem Straya has is a lack of accountability when fook ups are made. Jail and serious fines and actually enforcing them are the only way to make people be accountable.

As for treating nationals like asylum seekers which is basically what some are suggesting is just not on.
Global Aviator is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 06:53
  #2211 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 203
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Global Aviator
As for treating nationals like asylum seekers which is basically what some are suggesting is just not on.
Quarantine cruise ships, that's what we need (joke). In all seriousness, there are thousands of FIFO workers who put up with these conditions, why not returning travelers?

What about Rottnest / Hamilton Island etc? We used to have purpose built quarantine stations situated away from the "Towns" , the government has had months to come up with a better system.....it just seems the risk far far outweighs the cost of building a better system?
jrfsp is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 06:57
  #2212 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Equatorial
Age: 50
Posts: 1,011
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jrfsp
Quarantine cruise ships, that's what we need (joke). In all seriousness, there are thousands of FIFO workers who put up with these conditions, why not returning travelers?

What about Rottnest / Hamilton Island etc? We used to have purpose built quarantine stations situated away from the "Towns" , the government has had months to come up with a better system.....it just seems the risk far far outweighs the cost of building a better system?
Yep thatís why Iím so pro using Howard Springs to its full potential. I donít think QLD tourism would be too happy using a resort island! Logistically Christmas Island would cost a huge amount as not bug enough for wide bodies so looking a shuttles. Oh then again Singapore or Kuala Lumpur in narrow bodies would work.

I donít think many wanting to get home would actually care where or how, they just want to get home. Howard Springs is actually a jack pot in my opinion, outside time, pool time, etc! Much better than stuck in a 5 star hotel room with no opening windows.
Global Aviator is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 07:29
  #2213 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cab of a Freight Train
Age: 40
Posts: 1,142
Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnleft080
WA premier McGowan straight on the blower weighing up the one case in NSW. CHC monitoring like a hawk standing bye waiting on the process.
I bet if their is one more case or 2 the border will close again. Open close open close, really great for Christmas bookings.
Gladys just hide this one under the carpet don't tell him.
Don't forget - according to Mark McGoose, if he doesn't like what is happening in NSW there goes Victoria too. The asreclown has openly stated they'll treat both states as a single entity due to our shared border towns, etc.
Originally Posted by The West
Mr McGowan said the opening to NSW and Victoria ó which were being treated as a single jurisdiction because of their border communities ó was pending no further outbreaks. Source
How TF can anyone believe this is a reasonable - and appropriate - way to manage a pandemic response?
KRviator is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 07:47
  #2214 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 129
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't say I've heard much bleating about 'Keeping us safe' from QLD since the election....
lc_461 is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 08:17
  #2215 (permalink)  

Evertonian
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: #3117# Ppruner of the Year Nominee 2005
Posts: 12,303
Received 77 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jrfsp
What about Rottnest / Hamilton Island etc?
Tasmania.
Buster Hyman is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 15:05
  #2216 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 679
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Why don't we just make returning Australians pay to make a giant quarantine centre in the middle of WA. We can also make foreign airlines go by Alice Springs first to drop all those dirty CoVID infected citizens off and then load them on charter flights that returned citizens pay for as well.

You know it's their fault, they should have come home sooner.
50 thousand dollars per person should be a reasonable charge. Half up front and half a loan from CBA. Can't have any Govt footing the bill for anything.

We can also publish their names and photos on the abc website (to shame them) so we can accuse them of putting ordinary Australians live in danger by their selfishness.

Climb150 is online now  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 15:06
  #2217 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 679
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
For those who thought that post was serious shame on you.
Climb150 is online now  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 22:18
  #2218 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: aus
Posts: 1,186
Likes: 0
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by jrfsp
What about Rottnest / Hamilton Island etc?
Hamilton island would be a logical choice, its got its own airport, close to townsville which is a close has a large regional hospital also has a large army base with aviation and a land craft based there. That said not sure the owner would want reputation the island could gain if turned into a 'plague island'
rattman is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 23:35
  #2219 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Equatorial
Age: 50
Posts: 1,011
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Climb150
Why don't we just make returning Australians pay to make a giant quarantine centre in the middle of WA. We can also make foreign airlines go by Alice Springs first to drop all those dirty CoVID infected citizens off and then load them on charter flights that returned citizens pay for as well.

You know it's their fault, they should have come home sooner.
50 thousand dollars per person should be a reasonable charge. Half up front and half a loan from CBA. Can't have any Govt footing the bill for anything.

We can also publish their names and photos on the abc website (to shame them) so we can accuse them of putting ordinary Australians live in danger by their selfishness.
Love it, please post this in mainstream media to catch a whale!
Global Aviator is offline  
Old 4th Dec 2020, 00:08
  #2220 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 224
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No other government has abandoned its citizens like Australia has. Itís a disgrace. Now we have international students able to enter ahead of passport holders.
Joker89 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.