Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas Recruitment

Old 17th May 2018, 08:58
  #1441 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No wonder most of Virgin have their applications in then
bangbounceboeing is offline  
Old 18th May 2018, 05:02
  #1442 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 68
Posts: 365
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cessnapete
The Cruise only pilot has no defined part in the aircraft operation, no Normal ,Abnormal or Emergency Checklist procedures involve a third man. Presumably if any in flight emergencies occur with the Capt in rest, he is immediately called, and retakes the front seat with the trained F/O, and the S/O again becomes an observer.
If the S/O is in the seat when the proverbial happens, then he completes whatever checklist/ECAM/EICAS actions are necessary with the other pilot, whether he is the Captain or an FO. The bloke who is off duty may be called back, or he may not, but if I arrive back on the cockpit I expect the procedures to be complete.

And, having had major event when operating 3 man, the SO made himself extremely useful whilst carrying out the jobs that you dismiss.
mrdeux is offline  
Old 18th May 2018, 08:00
  #1443 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Kowloon
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello

Hii friends nice topic
hinterfeld is offline  
Old 21st May 2018, 08:33
  #1444 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 45
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this the right place to ask, how long do you have to wait to hear back after qlink have done a reference check....
Flydawg is offline  
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:09
  #1445 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spent years in GA in Aus and PNG, 1.5 years flying regionals in USA and currently flying the A321 in Europe. I am wanting to come back to Aus with my family eventually and so considering either going to China first or coming back sooner.

If one were to join QF tomorrow, what progression and ballpark salaries could be expected over the next 3-5 years assuming the market remained the same? If not wanting to stay an SO forever, what’s the current time to FO and then Captain if you are happy to move to junior base/fleet as required?

Thanks
FL240 is offline  
Old 22nd May 2018, 16:44
  #1446 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 265
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FL240
Spent years in GA in Aus and PNG, 1.5 years flying regionals in USA and currently flying the A321 in Europe. I am wanting to come back to Aus with my family eventually and so considering either going to China first or coming back sooner.

If one were to join QF tomorrow, what progression and ballpark salaries could be expected over the next 3-5 years assuming the market remained the same? If not wanting to stay an SO forever, what’s the current time to FO and then Captain if you are happy to move to junior base/fleet as required?

Thanks
Others may have more accurate figures but I would suggest Perth 737 F/O within 12 months (or potentially sooner after joining for those with jet experience) at AU$170-200K plus Superannuation.

Progression to widebody F/O or narrowbody CMD after that could take a lot of years (could be 12-15+), unless QF rapidly expand their fleet, which they are currently not showing any signs of doing.

Movement to East Coast 737 F/O possible after a couple of years depending on movement and recruitment.

Things have improved recently but we currently have guys who joined the airline single and are now missing their kid’s 16th birthday because they’re doing their final F/O check on a widebody.
Derfred is offline  
Old 22nd May 2018, 22:55
  #1447 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 68
Posts: 365
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Whilst there are people who will get FO slots almost immediately, they will then spend a long time in that seat.

Assuming the airline neither expands nor contracts, then the average time in each seat will be related to the proportion of pilots in each rank. So, as it is probably roughly 33% each, then the average career would be one third in each seat. So, I'd suggest that the 12 year SO is very much the average...and the 7 year wide body Captains are very much ancient history/mythology at this point.

The uneven recruitment has built lots of bumps into that though, and the people who joined in the expansion of around 1985 are hitting retirement age.
mrdeux is offline  
Old 22nd May 2018, 23:00
  #1448 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derfred


Others may have more accurate figures but I would suggest Perth 737 F/O within 12 months (or potentially sooner after joining for those with jet experience) at AU$170-200K plus Superannuation.

Progression to widebody F/O or narrowbody CMD after that could take a lot of years (could be 12-15+), unless QF rapidly expand their fleet, which they are currently not showing any signs of doing.

Movement to East Coast 737 F/O possible after a couple of years depending on movement and recruitment.

Things have improved recently but we currently have guys who joined the airline single and are now missing their kid’s 16th birthday because they’re doing their final F/O check on a widebody.
Cheers, good to have an idea so we can discuss where to from here
FL240 is offline  
Old 22nd May 2018, 23:05
  #1449 (permalink)  
34R
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brisbane
Age: 52
Posts: 238
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst time to FO on a widebody will never be quick, I'm not sure looking at those recently promoted and comparing time frames is entirely useful.

16+ years encompassing a period of no recruitment for nearly 8 years wouldn't have helped.

It will be interesting to see time to promotion time frames in 5 years when the suggested attrition rates are expected to begin to bite....
34R is offline  
Old 22nd May 2018, 23:45
  #1450 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 339
Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts
Consider also that the number of retirements over the next ten years will be far greater than the last ten. There are still a number of pilots going to 65 (and beyond) but according to recent figures I saw, the average retirement age has been around 62 - and there are many reaching that age in the next ten years. The demise of the 744 may well accelerate that further.

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of Pilot's ages at the minute. I suspect there'd be say 40% in the 50+ bracket, 40% in the 35-50 bracket and only a relative few in the under 35 bracket. That suggests that a young person (say 25-early 30's) joining now may have a longish period in the S/O and junior F/O (ie: PER or ADL based) ranks, not long in the middle and a good period as a Captain.
C441 is offline  
Old 23rd May 2018, 09:04
  #1451 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 1,019
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 34R
Whilst time to FO on a widebody will never be quick, I'm not sure looking at those recently promoted and comparing time frames is entirely useful.

16+ years encompassing a period of no recruitment for nearly 8 years wouldn't have helped.

It will be interesting to see time to promotion time frames in 5 years when the suggested attrition rates are expected to begin to bite....
34R
Long way to relocate, but in UK, my Airline in last couple of years recruiting DEP F/O direct on A380/B744/787/777. Wide Body F/O from day one!!
cessnapete is offline  
Old 23rd May 2018, 09:58
  #1452 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 143
Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by C441
Consider also that the number of retirements over the next ten years will be far greater than the last ten. There are still a number of pilots going to 65 (and beyond) but according to recent figures I saw, the average retirement age has been around 62 - and there are many reaching that age in the next ten years. The demise of the 744 may well accelerate that further.

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of Pilot's ages at the minute. I suspect there'd be say 40% in the 50+ bracket, 40% in the 35-50 bracket and only a relative few in the under 35 bracket. That suggests that a young person (say 25-early 30's) joining now may have a longish period in the S/O and junior F/O (ie: PER or ADL based) ranks, not long in the middle and a good period as a Captain.
lets hope so
A320 Flyer is offline  
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:16
  #1453 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: sydney
Posts: 19
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Within about 6-7 years 50% of qantas pilots will be aged in excess of 60!
goose1 is online now  
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:35
  #1454 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceesnapete, details of the airline please. Recruiting?
Trigger Happy is offline  
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:38
  #1455 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sydney
Age: 60
Posts: 1,542
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goose1
Within about 6-7 years 50% of qantas pilots will be aged in excess of 60!
Not everyone will go to 60. 747 retirement will tempt some to leave early.
Tankengine is offline  
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:32
  #1456 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 41S174E
Age: 56
Posts: 3,031
Received 389 Likes on 98 Posts
Within about 6-7 years 50% of qantas pilots will be aged in excess of 60!
i don’t know how many pilots Qantas have but the above is a pretty interesting fact if you are running an airline in this environment.
If the above is true, if QF have 2000 pilots,( I have no idea) and if the average age of retirement is 62, then you are training 100 pilots off the street a year for the next nine years just to stand still. ( any plans for expansion?) Of course with every retirement comes a command training requirement and an F/O training requirement as well......but wait, we’ll need someone to train and check them so we’ll have to run quite a few TRI courses quick smart.
There is going to be one heck of a lot of training going on by people who are not yet trainers.
interesting times ahead for sure.
framer is offline  
Old 23rd May 2018, 15:46
  #1457 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 1,019
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger Happy
Ceesnapete, details of the airline please. Recruiting?
BA, in last 2/3 years targeted recruiting due an acute shortage on LH types.(HR cockup!) BA pay is more directed to Seniority not just size of aircraft.
For a LH Widebody DEP. 2000 hrs ATPL. at least a 1000 hours recent on Jets over 25Tonne or Turbo prop over 50T. i.e. suitable for zero hour hour Base Training on Level D sims.
Cadet Pilots from accredited Training Schools taken with less experience, 250 hours+ total for SH types min Frozen ATPL. MEP/IR.
cessnapete is offline  
Old 23rd May 2018, 23:06
  #1458 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bran Castle
Posts: 214
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cessnapete
BA, in last 2/3 years targeted recruiting due an acute shortage on LH types.(HR cockup!) BA pay is more directed to Seniority not just size of aircraft.
For a LH Widebody DEP. 2000 hrs ATPL. at least a 1000 hours recent on Jets over 25Tonne or Turbo prop over 50T. i.e. suitable for zero hour hour Base Training on Level D sims.
Cadet Pilots from accredited Training Schools taken with less experience, 250 hours+ total for SH types min Frozen ATPL. MEP/IR.
The way your previous posts read, we should all just apply for BA. Small problem being the requirements. EASA licence and the right to live and work in the UK excludes (and I say this generally) everyone on this particular thread. It's akin to posing on the BA forum and saying everyone should work for Qantas, but they require an Australian ATPL and right to live and work in Aus. Personally, would've loved the opportunity to fly for BA, and would've considered acquiring an EASA licence if I met the second requirement, but I don't.

They're both legacy carriers, part of a dying breed, hence why people want to work for both. Having said that, you still need to get in!
romeocharlie is offline  
Old 23rd May 2018, 23:13
  #1459 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Room 506
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cessnaplate, we need to compare like for like though. A PP 34 BA LH DEP (New joiner straight to LH in BA) will net less than a new joiner SO at QF. I would hazard a guess, they will work harder, suffer less bidding satisfaction due to seniority rather than rotating bidding, and have a much more expensive cost of living if living close to their base. BA is only legacy in name now. For a decent salary and lifestyle most would be better at EZY, Ryanair, and various other low cost carriers.
Tricia Takanawa is offline  
Old 23rd May 2018, 23:32
  #1460 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sincity
Posts: 1,183
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Crikey. BA is more than fine. This thread is probably more for those that want to live in Oz though
maggot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.