PDA

View Full Version : Monarch - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

partyboy_uk
20th Aug 2012, 21:41
harer92 posted in post #440 (http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/476064-monarch-3-a-22.html#post7227530) a link to an interview with Jochen Schnadt (Monarch's Commercial Director) about Monarch's fleet plans. In it he says that the company plans to increase the fleet to 38 for next summer. With 32 at the moment (excluding current leases) and 1 x A300 and 1 x A320 due to go at the end of this summer that will bring the fleet down to 30. I make that 8 more airframes by next summer if everything goes to plan :ok:

Monarch_Pilot67
20th Aug 2012, 21:41
So will those 4 new aircraft be brand new or will be from other airlines?

MKY661
20th Aug 2012, 21:47
So will those 4 new aircraft be brand new or will be from other airlines?

Probably other airlines. Don't know where from but I could say possibly the three TOM Airbuses.

Looks like the A320 on for standby is not happening then.

Serenity
20th Aug 2012, 21:52
Brand new from airbus.

crewmeal
21st Aug 2012, 06:11
Still looking for others to join the fleet, for next summer.

So another summer of subcharters then? Surely Monarch now have the time to search for some aircraft to avoid this.

TartinTon
21st Aug 2012, 09:09
No, crewmeal. The subcharters this year were in response to the opportunity presented by the demise of Baby. The plans for next year are far enough in advance for Monarch to have their own aircraft and crew. The aircraft will be a mix of new and 2nd hand but all owned/leased by Monarch. You normally need a minimum of 6 months notice to get flight crew in and trained. Clearly that wasn't possible this summer.

Chidken Sangwich
21st Aug 2012, 09:57
Hear they have also signed a big contract with the MOD

When's this going to confirmed / announced then?

alpha.charlie
21st Aug 2012, 10:55
Quite a few seemed to think HiFly had secured it.

MKY661
21st Aug 2012, 16:02
Brand new from airbus.

Maybe A320's as there are going to be two A320's based at LBA next year. Hopefully AGP and ALC will also start there soon don't see why they are not doing two very popular holiday destinations from LBA.

LBIA
21st Aug 2012, 16:20
I can understand why Monarch not looking at AGP or ALC routes from LBA next summer as they are already well served. Jet2 are going up to 3x daily on certain weekends next summer using a mix of Boeing 757-200's, Boeing 737-300's and Boeing 737-800's. Meanwhile Ryanair also operate both routes with daily service to AGP and 4x weekly service to ALC.

Whats the point of Monarch trying against that lot?

MKY661
21st Aug 2012, 18:10
Whats the point of Monarch trying against that lot?

Monarch have high competition from their current bases to AGP and ALC, especially at MAN and LGW and seem to do very well. Always seem to be popular.

lagerlout
21st Aug 2012, 19:40
^^^^^^

as their 40million loss last year would indicate?

Bums on seats does not necessarily mean profit!

Nakata77
22nd Aug 2012, 03:03
I think the tell tale signs of Monarch losing their way are starting to come to the fore.

Kevin George saying the airline is not a low cost airline and fits in the 'middle
between traditional full service and LCC is at contrast with their horrendously tacky and cheap looking website. Even Ryanair has a more pleasing website. Given that scheduled traffic and inbound demand is more important (his words not mine) you'd think they would get their shop front into line.

Mr @ Spotty M
22nd Aug 2012, 04:56
Trouble is the web site has won awards, :\

Whiskey Zulu
22nd Aug 2012, 04:57
:= Monarch.co.uk has been named top airline website in the UK, according to web researchers eDigitalResearch
Monarch were named top airline in a quarterly review published this week, and 9th company overall out of all companies listed. The review acts as a benchmark for the effectiveness of websites in the UK.

Monarch beat other airlines such as Virgin Atlantic (12th overall), easyJet (22nd), Lufthansa (30th) and Jet2 (52nd) to be the highest ranking airline online not only overall, but also in the “First impressions”, “Initial research” and “Call centre agents and response times” categories.

Monarch Airlines Managing Director Kevin George said: “We have put a lot of effort into ensuring that our monarch.co.uk website is easy to use, responsive and well presented for our customers.”

“This third party validation is recognition of the achievement of our Monarch online team and proves that we are maximising the opportunity the internet presents our customers to make booking with Monarch as easy as possible.”

MANTHRUST
22nd Aug 2012, 08:43
The website has won awards because it is very easy to use, clear unambiguous information and a logical process with no gotchas.
Ryanair on the other hand? A lot of people must have a lot more patience than me.

Nakata77
22nd Aug 2012, 09:05
My comment was more concerning the look and feel of it, rather than than the usability - perhaps thats not entirely fair, but given that the website is their 24/7 shop window, you would think the visual/design would play an important part.

New T2 Office
22nd Aug 2012, 09:44
It obviously does........the awards speak for themselves.....the relevant departments cant help it though if you dont like the colours :rolleyes::rolleyes:

caaardiff
22nd Aug 2012, 10:10
As a small comparison of websites, i think Monarch's is one of the best.
I'm not a fan of the new bright colours since the revamp, but in terms of ease of use its spot on.
What do you want from a website when booking flights?
Ease of finding where to go from and to, dates, travellers and price.
What i do like about Monarch, and others such as Easyjet, is that they show you the cheapest prices for the whole month. This is great for those who have flexible travel dates.
I find everything is where is should be.
- Ryanair is full of adverts that clutter up the pages, is basic in design, and you have to click disclaimers and type in funny words just to get anywhere!
- FlyTCX is simple, but needs to be put in some kind of order, and they no longer have the week/month view and has a rubbish timetable section. You could say its too simple.
-Thomson flight only, simple, clear, everything where it should be. Also has the deals section.
Every website is good in its own way, but in my opinion by far the best website out there is Virgin's new one, i like the design and ease, with Monarch not too far behind.

MKY661
22nd Aug 2012, 10:29
Accroding to Jethros Monarch have Two A320-214's and Two A321-231's Due for the First half of 2013 (March and April accroding to Mr @ Spotty M but not sure if the A320's or A321's are coming first). An extra Four A320/1 are also planned to be leased. Not sure what the Regs will be.

A300 (G-MONR) is due to leave on 4th November 2012. Not sure about the A320 (G-MPCD).

ematom1
22nd Aug 2012, 10:58
East midlands are apparently having 2 A321 aircraft for 2013, Leeds 2 a320's

MKY661
22nd Aug 2012, 11:00
Yes they are. Not sure though if they will keep the new arcraft based at LBA & EMA like they did with BHX this summer with the two recent A320's.

PAPAROMA
22nd Aug 2012, 15:17
Jet2 launch Corfu and Mahon from MAN. Giving MON a run for their money I see. Well done!

crewmeal
22nd Aug 2012, 16:43
Moving on a little, came across this article in the DM. How true it is, well judge for yourselves.

Monarch Airlines: Cabin crew told passenger they couldn't give her a blanket for health and safety reasons | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2191908/Monarch-Airlines-Cabin-crew-told-passenger-blanket-health-safety-reasons.html)

I would have thought that these Eastern European subcharters would contravene health and safety regulations!

SWBKCB
22nd Aug 2012, 16:58
I would have thought that these Eastern European subcharters would contravene health and safety regulations!

On what grounds?

crewmeal
22nd Aug 2012, 17:32
On what grounds?

Having flown with some of these carriers in the past from the Eastern European region, their cabin interiors leave a lot to be desired.

GnRdL
23rd Aug 2012, 09:00
I think that AGP and ALC will be launched by Monarch in LBA in a short time. If they opened LBA-PMI, which is really well served by Jet2, Ryanair and Thomas Cook, the reason (in my opinion) is not that ALC and AGP are concurrent routes.

Look at the table in this link: Monarch selects Leeds Bradford as its sixth UK base | anna.aero (http://www.anna.aero/2012/07/11/monarch-selects-leeds-bradford-as-its-sixth-uk-base/)

Buster the Bear
23rd Aug 2012, 11:48
Rumours of more Luton flights next year?

BHX5DME
23rd Aug 2012, 12:41
Rumours suggest that BHX will be Monarch's biggest base in the future ?

Matty J
12th Sep 2012, 08:34
Hi Folks.

Off to Orlando on the 29th of September 2012 and was due to be flying a MON A330-200 both ways but we have just received a letter saying we are now flying with HiFly on the outward leg and Virgin on the return!

The outward is still operating as MON329 but on a HiFly A340 to SFB and the return is now VS9988 from MCO, this would appear to be a special charter as opposed to the normal VS15/16 VS27/28 that operate the MCO run.

Do Monarch have a problem with one of their A330's? The HiFly is subbing for a couple of weeks, 22nd & 29th Sept departures.

Would be great if someone knows the reason for the change. Just curious thats all.

Cheers!

Airbus321-200
12th Sep 2012, 09:59
Possibly planned maintenance on one of the 330s if they have given you this much notice. Maybe they are getting all the planned work out of the way before it goes to the haji.

TSR2
12th Sep 2012, 10:00
Maybe unrelated but ZB have had some monster delays on routes operated by A300 from Manchester these past couple of days.

Blighty Pilot
12th Sep 2012, 14:07
Its due to one of Monarch's A330 being tied up on Hajj pilgrimage work on behalf of Garuda Indonesia.

mgy2k90
18th Sep 2012, 14:49
They are not only leasing a A330, but some other fleets are also doing work for the Hajj Pilgrimage, including the B757 from what I can see on the scheduling system. Apparently the A320/1 fleet may also be helping with slips into SSH and LCA for crew rest/tech stop.

SCANDIC
19th Sep 2012, 21:42
I take it someone else didn't want to buy monr to convert into a freighter. Would be brilliant as a freighter.

MKY661
19th Sep 2012, 21:52
I take it someone else didn't want to buy monr to convert into a freighter. Would be brilliant as a freighter.

Yes two of the A300's are being broken up unfortunately :(

SCANDIC
20th Sep 2012, 08:11
Monarch have had their money's worth out of them just like the 75's.

Fansfail
20th Sep 2012, 11:48
If its capacity/flexibility thats required, could Monarch not try and get hold of more A330s? I understand these are sometimes used on high density short haul when the need arises.

walterthesofty
20th Sep 2012, 14:12
Last i heard mon were thinking of ditching their 330,s due to lack of suitable routes, great shame if they do they are a a excellent aircraft

mgy2k90
20th Sep 2012, 14:29
Monarch have signed another long term lease agreement recently on their a330s, they'll be around for some time yet...

walterthesofty
20th Sep 2012, 14:41
Good to hear thanks

Dannyboy39
20th Sep 2012, 15:41
If its capacity/flexibility thats required, could Monarch not try and get hold of more A330s? I understand these are sometimes used on high density short haul when the need arises.
(cough) 787s (cough)

walterthesofty
20th Sep 2012, 17:37
There will certainly be a few coughs when some people realise just what the 787 operating costs will actually be, wise move for mon to cancel IMO

OltonPete
20th Sep 2012, 19:55
Monarch | 2012 News - Flights - Passenger Numbers - August 2012 | Flights News (http://www.monarch.co.uk/news/flights/2012-news/passenger-numbers-august-2012)

Passengers up 19% & load factor up 1.7% at 94.5%

Pete

spottilludrop
21st Sep 2012, 08:15
Thats some increase, guess the dreadful summer must have helped, good to see all the same, top outfit, nice to see them doing well.

Hear there going into EMA and LBA which must be a bit of a worry for jet 2

Monty Gordo
21st Sep 2012, 08:25
OP, is there any way of identyfying the performance of the various bases Monarch use?

Given the rapid expansion of flights and destinations from BHX do its figures there match the performance stats? I might be an indication as to where Monarch's future growth may occur.

runway08
21st Sep 2012, 13:12
Monarch flight from Nice to Birmingham has apparently gone off the runway, Flight was operated by Aurela.

Breaking news so there is currently no link to a website for the story.

MKY661
21st Sep 2012, 13:18
Brum plane skids off runway - ITV News (http://www.itv.com/news/story/2012-09-21/plane-skids-off-runway-at-birmingham-airport/)

Pic Here:
Monarch flight. Aurela Airways Plane skidded off runway after landing at Birmingham Airport | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mldphotos/8008951013/)

No Injuries have been reported.

MKY661
21st Sep 2012, 13:31
Another Article:
BBC News - Birmingham Airport runway shut as plane skids off (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-19676990)

Aurela I think have caused enough problems for Monarch this year. :\

walterthesofty
21st Sep 2012, 13:46
Thats what happens when some bright spark tries to save a few bob:(

Monty Gordo
21st Sep 2012, 14:25
At 1520 while acknowledging the incident occured at 1310, BHX's own website says planes are both landing and departing. So how long was the runway closed?

Mr A Tis
21st Sep 2012, 16:03
According to the latest Monarch press release:

We have suspended the use of Aurela Airlines.

NEastMidlands
21st Sep 2012, 16:11
This stinks of throwing together a plan in a day and not thinking anything through to try and rake in a few more pounds from bmi baby customers.

spottilludrop
21st Sep 2012, 16:40
BMI baby customers? what are you on FFS

crewmeal
21st Sep 2012, 18:17
So who are Monarch getting to replace the Air Aurela 737 to get the operation back on track?

insuindi
21st Sep 2012, 18:26
Did a quick google on passenger reviews of Monarch, those who had the joy of Aurela operated flights are not exactly positive - some report missing backrests for some seats, and graffiti-style scratches and use of black marker pens by the windows. Sounds like a battered school bus.

rumair999
21st Sep 2012, 18:56
// from the website//
Think there is another Aurela B733 in the UK as well at the moment for Small Planet

2012 News - Flights - Monarch flight ZB467 21st September 2012

21 09 2012

Monarch confirms that the flight operating from Nice on ZB467 operated by Aurela Airlines on 21 September 2012, has been involved in an incident upon landing at Birmingham Airport.

It is understood that the flight operating on an Aurela Boeing 737-300 aircraft registration LY-SKA with 135 passengers onboard left the runway whilst taxiing to the terminal, bringing the aircraft to a stop. Passengers safely disembarked from the aircraft and were coached to the terminal where they were cared for by Monarch Airlines staff. At this time we understand that no passengers or crew have sustained any injuries.

Monarch apologises to all passengers on-board and is offering them all possible assistance. Monarch is working with Birmingham Airport to move the aircraft and is fully assisting with the authorities. As a standard precaution emergency services attended the aircraft.

We have suspended the use of Aurela Airlines who we had been using on a temporary basis to provide extra flights for the late summer period.

IB4138
21st Sep 2012, 19:00
Have a look here.

People are not happy.

Monarch Airlines Customer Reviews | SKYTRAX (http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/monarch.htm)

MKY661
21st Sep 2012, 19:06
All ive heard about that Aurela aircraft is negetive things, nothing positive. I have also heard no issues with the Air Explore, Air Italy or Small Planet Aircraft (not yet anyway).

I wonder what the Aurela aircraft was like when it was with Thomas Cook.

SWBKCB
21st Sep 2012, 19:17
Did a quick google on passenger reviews of Monarch, those who had the joy of Aurela operated flights are not exactly positive - some report missing backrests for some seats, and graffiti-style scratches and use of black marker pens by the windows. Sounds like a battered school bus.

the type of people you get flying Monarch nowadays - because presumably it was in a first-class state when Monarch took on the lease?

LGS6753
21st Sep 2012, 19:19
Flew on AEX 737 two weeks ago BHX-FAO, and no problems. Slovakian crew were efficient, friendly and attractive with decent English. They dealt with an on-board medical situation well too.

MKY661
21st Sep 2012, 19:41
Monarch are now using Titan Airways 737 POWH but not sure if is short term or long term.

WHBM
21st Sep 2012, 20:59
It's the usual story, isn't it.

Monarch find it's more convenient (= cheaper) to sub to an airline from some indeterminate base that many pax can't even spell.

Pax see Monarch's marketing material about their standards.
Pax book on the Monarch website.
Pax pay Monarch.
Pax check in at the Monarch desk.
Pax see it has a Monarch flight number.

Seems a bit ropey inside apparently, but whatever.
On arrival goes into the mud.

"This Monarch-booked flight ON AN AURELA AIRCRAFT NOT ONE OF OURS has gone into the mud with an AURELA CREW NOT ONE OF OUR CREWS and it's AURELA NOT MONARCH and IT'S A LITHUANIAN REG NOT ONE OF OURS and......"

PS - How many times over the years have Monarch themselves gone into the mud ? Maybe they can tell us.

Chidken Sangwich
21st Sep 2012, 23:02
PS - How many times over the years have Monarch themselves gone into the mud ? Maybe they can tell us.

You'll never get a reply to that on here WHBM, far too many MON supporters that shout everyone down despite the facts that are mentioned.

Out of interest, a few posts back there's mention of securing 'another' A330 contract. Can anyone tell me what the first one was and who's the new one with?

Oh, and a bit more... the A300's where offered to DHL as a job lot about 9-10 years ago but they only wanted to pay a quarter of what MON had them valued at, that's why they'll be baked bean cans in the next couple of years.

Oh, and while i'm at it, what Aircraft have MON ACTUALLY got on order? There's constant reference on here but Mr Airbus and Mr Boeing dont seem to be giving us any clues. Are they Comac C919's and they want to keep it a secret?

TSR2
22nd Sep 2012, 08:59
Your post seems a little bitter. Have you got a grudge against Monarch ?

Chidken Sangwich
22nd Sep 2012, 09:28
TSR

Not bitter, and no grudge. It just annoys me that quite frequently on here there are factual points mentioned and a few posters time after time come on slagging those that have posted the facts, just (it seems) to 'dumb down' what 'they' dont like being talked about.

Mr @ Spotty M
22nd Sep 2012, 09:59
Here are some factual points about Monarch.
You will find no references in my many posts about an order for new aircraft.
Fact # 1. New A320 aircraft due March 2013.
Fact # 2. New A321 aircraft due April 2013.
Fact #3. I have not mentioned an order from Airbus, because they are being leased from two leasing companies.

davidjohnson6
23rd Sep 2012, 12:10
Full page ad in the Telegraph travel section today (yes, that's double the size of any other newspaper) along with some paid-for celebrity endorsement, and another ad due next week, to persuade people that Friedrichshafen is a great gateway to ski resorts.

Plenty of dates with one-way fares from London below 40 pounds.

Should we therefore assume that unless sales pick up sharpish, the route won't be back for the 2013/14 winter ?

crewmeal
23rd Sep 2012, 12:12
Well lets hope they use their own aircraft for a change and not some dodgy sub-chartered outfit.

GayFriendly
23rd Sep 2012, 15:06
FR tried FDH from LPL a few years back I think it only ran for a season. I used to live near FDH many moons back, it's a lovely place on Lake Konstanz but as a gateway to the slopes, in my recollection they are hours away! Without a car it's a very long time consuming journey to the Tirol. There are also some small scale ski resorts in the Black Forest but again a fair old journey. Surely INN would have been a better bet?

MKY661
23rd Sep 2012, 15:09
Compared to other Ski destinations I would say routes served to FDH is quite low. I would expect if FDH does fail they will put Salzburg on the Map.

Surely INN would have been a better bet? Monarch are doing INN from MAN.

TartinTon
23rd Sep 2012, 16:19
Well lets hope they use their own aircraft for a change and not some dodgy sub-chartered outfit.

Pathetic...the vast majority of their flights are on their own aircraft. What a puerile comment := :mad:

crewmeal
23rd Sep 2012, 16:40
.the vast majority of their flights are on their own aircraft.

Agreed, but stop and think of the poor pax that have had a rough deal with these sub charters with delays and the lack of the MON brand which they paid for. As the season is starting to wind down now I'm sure things will be back to normal.

pabloc
23rd Sep 2012, 17:57
Todays news,tomorrows fish and chip wrapper!lets move on. Yeah MON's immediate 'brand' has been tarnished but the general public will soon forget,did people stop flying BA (fuel waxing,landing short),AF (447),RYR (s*** service!) no they did'nt.

insuindi
24th Sep 2012, 14:02
Well, my partner has been very clear that I don't need to think about booking with Monarch on my usual BHX-MUC route after recent events. I know her well enough that she means that. Long-term. ;D

Burpbot
24th Sep 2012, 16:47
Based on what???

Or are you saying yes dear for a quiet life?

Fansfail
24th Sep 2012, 16:51
Does anyone know if MON have decided what they are going to do with the long haul side of the business yet? I understand it has been in a bit of a state of flux recently. Once Thompson get their factory-fresh 787s in the next few months, i'm sure many will look over with jealous eyes! I hope Monarch manage to keep it going and rejuvenate their long haul product.

Buster the Bear
24th Sep 2012, 16:52
Long-haul is not in Monarch's medium-term plans.

Fansfail
24th Sep 2012, 16:53
So the A330's are going by association then?

ATNotts
24th Sep 2012, 17:20
Friedrichshafen is obviously well positioned for Bodensee (lake Constance if we must), and also not badly located for resorts such as Todnau and Feldberg in the Black Forest.

However the principal target for the FDH route must the the Allgau which includes the major ski resort of Oberstdorf, though it has to be said that Memmingen, served by Ryanair is better than FDH even for the Allgau.

These resorts aren't so well known as package tour destinations but I feel sure that many independent travellers will know and use them for their ski holidays.

MKY661
24th Sep 2012, 17:47
So the A330's are going by association then?

A330's are staying for a while yet. A300's are going though. The 757's and One A320 (possibly the other two old ones in the next few years) are also going.

I remember Spotty M saying there was a long haul route going this year but I may be wrong.

tubby linton
24th Sep 2012, 18:52
Long haul leisure travel in the UK is contracting because of the APD. I believe that one particular UK long haul carrier is losing £1m a week.

LGS6753
24th Sep 2012, 19:29
Presumably to replace the Aurelia 737 lawn-mower, Monarch are sub-chartering an MD83 from Swiftair of Spain. A Luton-based A320 has gone to Brum and the Swiftair is currently at Luton. Anyone know the seating capacity of an MD83?

firstchoice7e7
24th Sep 2012, 19:29
Just had my first flight with Monarch today on the Munich - Luton Route.

I was impressed, professional old school crew, Aircraft very clean on the inside, and booking was easy with a good choice of extras;

Only negative was forking out for seat selection as it came with the promise of online check-in, however online check in not possible on this scheduled route := However no queue at Munich check in, and the flight seemed to be full, so glad i got my aisle seat.

adfly
24th Sep 2012, 19:31
Should be around 170 in Sardine Can trim.

OltonPete
24th Sep 2012, 20:09
LGS6753

Thus far the first flight after the incident was Titan, then as you say a Luton based A320 operated the weekend but that left last night and another Titan 757 positioned in and has operated Alicante and Palma.

Nice was on a Monarch A320 released by the Titan operating the ALC.

Other than that things seem to be operating okay although I think there was a slight delay on the Air Explore.

Dannyboy39
25th Sep 2012, 17:35
I just wish Monarch would go back to the days of Crown Service - a highly respected and popular, quality product. I wish the airline would segment itself in a niche, rather than partly be a low cost carrier and a leisure/charter airline.

-Continue to cater for long haul charter routes (maybe even convert some popular routes (SFB?) into scheduled routes, rather than focusing just on the fiercely competitive short haul routes, as is Monarch's long term strategy. Heck, how many short haul routes aren't already catered for by Ryanair or easyJet already? And quite a lot of time, they'll undercut.

-Invest in a large scale marketing programme to get the name out there - make use of the companies' history and legacy. Go back to "Classic Monarch". The recent 787 dreamliner advert from rivals Thomson was superb in my opinion. Compare that to Monarch's cheap advert targetting Northern passengers.

-Be different. Offer an "all in one" price. How many headlines do you see as locos add a dozen extra admin fees or charges? Offer a "free" in flight meal and a complimentary beverage. Offer in flight entertainment on 2-4hr routes. But increase the price and make a profit - money that passengers can just opt out from. Obviously, the economic situation means price sensitive customers, but surely there's still a huge market out there for this sort of thing. Be "the low cost airline that cares." For instance, where easyJet would offer £50 for a starter rate for a 1-way ticket to Alicante for instance, Monarch would offer the same flight for £75, but eliminating baggage charges and admin fees. Market this to their advantage and you have more money and happy passengers.

Maybe I'm deluded or just living in hope? :sad: People may also say why bother? Monarch are filling their aircraft at the moment.

ATNotts
25th Sep 2012, 18:51
Dannyboy39

Much as I agree with your sentiments, fact is your average British punter knows "the price of everything, but the value of nothing" which is why Ryanair do so well.

If Monarch were to advertsie a headline fare 30% higher than the others, then the result would be would be PAX would migrate to the other carrier, and quite happily pay for all the extras the Monarch would include.

Sad, but true.

jubilee
25th Sep 2012, 22:44
When you look at some of Monarchs fares for next summer,it makes them look like
a high cost premium airline. Have to start checking some of the genuine schedule
airlines fares out. Like the previous post said, bring back Crown Service.

Skipness One Echo
25th Sep 2012, 23:33
bring back Crown Service.
People would love to see it back.
People say they would pay the extra.
People don't pay the extra.
People fly "cheaper".

Of course some would pay but not enough it seems to make it commercially viable in the current trading market. Which isn't great I agree.

easyflyer83
26th Sep 2012, 00:32
I worked for a scheduled carrier operating under the 'flag carrier' on Monarch style routes. We offered everything you wished for, similar to crown service and more besides. Passengers loved the service, they lapped it up........'proud to be British' I often heard as they rolled off the A320/A321 merry in TFS. They just weren't willing to pay for it.

However, if post crown service Monarch, were £10 cheaper they would go with Monarch et al. The result being a full service being offered at LCC prices.

The LCC's can go too far, i think Ryanair is an example of it. At the other end of the spectrum, the old days were great but we have to let it go. Passenger expectations have changed, we now see passengers onboard flights who have never experienced an inflight meal and that isn't strange to them. Meanwhile, the majority are just happy with the situation we're in. They aren't estatic, flying is as much fun as it once was but they get to travel more...and quite often they place more value on that.

Your vision will appeal to many but alot of them, when it comes down to it, just won't pay for it. Those that are willing will not keep an airline a float.

I sound old......i'm only just 29.

Keyvon
26th Sep 2012, 08:37
Is ZB struggling on Milan/Malpensa routes ?

October's frequencies cut

LGW from 6 to 2/3
MAN from 4 to 3
BHX from 4 to 2

The competition looks pretty fierce since both Ryanair and Flybe serve the same routes.

paully
26th Sep 2012, 09:20
Sadly Easyflyer and the others are right, these days people will not pay..A present day analagy is the situation of Brittany Ferries, long established high quality operator on almost monopoly routes, excellent safety record but very high costs whilst providing a `crown Service` type operation at sea. As a result its ships are all presently tied up in ports and the company is on the verge of bankrupcy.....The customers wont pay their prices..

Instead they can swap Tesco vouchers and have a free ride on the Euro Tunnel...now thats what the British public love. As someone said they know the price of everything and the value of nothing and that aint gonna change soon...............makes you weep:{

hapzim
26th Sep 2012, 12:01
Keyvon

Just the normal winter reduction due lower demand. Haven't check the other carriers but expect they will or have reduced as well.

Monarch_Pilot67
26th Sep 2012, 21:19
Just tried to look at flights LGW-MXP in August 2013. No flights are displayed on calendar/Flight view when booking for the whole month! Checked Earlier Dates aswell, Still no flights.

Also, I checked summer flights to Milan also from Birmingham and Manchester. Those too had no flights displayed!

Me thinks that Monarch has decided to pull out of these routes! :)

Tight Seat
26th Sep 2012, 21:57
Me thinks next summer flights ain't on sale yet :)

OltonPete
26th Sep 2012, 22:05
Unfortunately most of BHX flights were on sale for next summer fitting 9 based aircraft and this included Milan.

All Milan services no longer bookable after 4 November from BHX, LGW and MAN. It seems to much of a co-incidence for time or day schedule changes, it does seem that they are all about to be pulled.

A bit late in the day to get the frequencies replaced but lets hope as BHX could do with a few more rotations to the Canaries.

davidjohnson6
26th Sep 2012, 23:55
Seems odd that Air One and Monarch should both cancel their Gatwick-Malpensa services. Have Easyjet been offering particularly low fares on the route with the effect of booting out the competition ?

jamesp
27th Sep 2012, 20:11
can somebody tell me how many aircraft is based at bhx..I was working near fen end and sure I saw 6 aircraft ( mix 757 320/1 and pretty sure I saw a 737) I know its probably old topic ( but I wouldn't know how far I would have to go back)

OltonPete
27th Sep 2012, 20:18
jamesp

eight based until the end of the month and then four for winter.

The eight vary but usually

4 x A321's

2 x A320's

1 x 734 - Air Explore

1 x a mix of ZB A320's or Titan 757

jamesp
27th Sep 2012, 21:27
thank you for that op I thought it was less than that..thanks again

munrobagger
28th Sep 2012, 10:32
Is Monarch operating for Thomson out of Edinburgh next year ? Is it my imagination but performance has not been great in 2012 for them out of EDI

GGDAY
28th Sep 2012, 13:08
No Thomson are basing their own ac at EDi & LBA next summer confirmed yesterday.

Turnberry
28th Sep 2012, 13:42
munrobagger

Is Monarch operating for Thomson out of Edinburgh next year ? Is it my imagination but performance has not been great in 2012 for them out of EDI

Apart for one period in May the performance out of EDI has been pretty good.

Have also heard that Thomson (at the moment!) plan to take it in-house next year.

TimV
3rd Oct 2012, 05:49
My folks had a near 24 hour delay with Monarch 2 weeks ago on the FAO-LGW route. I happened to check the Monarch Facebook page to see if there was any info, as they weren't getting anything locally. I was stunned at what I read about an airline that I had heralded for many years. Littered with complaints about delays, poor customer service and attitude, it was nothing short of a PR disaster.

Serenity
3rd Oct 2012, 08:12
Buy its always those who moan, complain and have an axe to grind that frequent forums like that.
All the thousands of happy passengers just come and go and enjoy their holiday/journey.

Be good to have the happy people add a balance to the arguements.

pabloc
3rd Oct 2012, 08:27
Well said Serenity!!All the great work we do week in week out ,are very conscious of are work and service to the customer,the hundreds who say they want to "let the company know how well they have been helped,taken care of,dealt with a particular situation"....but all you publicly see are the complaints!!,:*...oh well sky suit on and back to work with a smile:)

DomyDom
3rd Oct 2012, 20:38
Does anybody know if there is likely to bbe a replacement route from ZB for the MXP route?

Burpbot
3rd Oct 2012, 21:14
Skytrax is a better read! The reviews are in English not text talk!

As always you will see more complaints but it's also nice to see a fair amount of compliments too!

I guess next years load factor will be the proof in the pudding?

MKY661
3rd Oct 2012, 22:17
Just been confirmed on Jethros that the A320 which was planned to be a standby aircraft for 2013 (G-MPCD) will now not be retained for summer 2013 and will leave the fleet along with th A300 (G-MONR) on 4th November.

Buster the Bear
4th Oct 2012, 17:50
NR will depart to the USA on Nov 5th using up its last available 'cycle' before becoming bean cans.

I remember it arriving from Compass Airlines in Oz!

Dannyboy39
4th Oct 2012, 17:56
On Monarch pulling out of Malpensa, surely this will become a common problem in the coming years, as the new plan is to concentrate more so on short haul routes rather than growing their long haul network.

The majority of routes are already dominated by easyJet and Ryanair; companies that have become experts at trashing the competition in recent years. Are there any gaps in the market?

Because of this, I really cannot forsee a long term future for the airline, unless they vastly differentiate themselves from the competition or adopt the same business model.

Have Monarch officially cancelled (completely) their order for the Boeing 787-8? No possible change of heart?

MKY661
4th Oct 2012, 18:15
Have Monarch officially cancelled (completely) their order for the Boeing 787-8? No possible change of heart? Yes they have. Not sure what they are doing with long haul but I have heard a route is going this year.

Can I also ask which base is losing an A300 for S13? MAN or LGW?

TartinTon
4th Oct 2012, 20:47
On Monarch pulling out of Malpensa, surely this will become a common problem in the coming years, as the new plan is to concentrate more so on short haul routes rather than growing their long haul network.

The majority of routes are already dominated by easyJet and Ryanair; companies that have become experts at trashing the competition in recent years. Are there any gaps in the market?

Sorry Danny but you need to do some analysis. Easy cancel more routes than Monarch percentage-wise...fact. In the last 12 months Monarch have launched 22 new routes and cancelled 3. Easyjet have launched 140 and cancelled 25. In percentage terms Monarch have cancelled 13% and Easy 17%. With the exception of MXP I don't see any evidence whatsoever of easy/Ryan "trashing" the competition as far as Monarch is concerned. They more than compete with orange and blue on the majority of their network to AGP/ALC/FAO/TFS/PMI/ACE/LCA/PFO/SSH etc etc etc.....

Monarch_Pilot67
4th Oct 2012, 20:47
So how will Monarch cover the slots left by the removal of the Milan routes?

Totally agree with Dannyboy39. I see Easyjet Kicked them out of the Milan Malpensa route from gatwick! and also I see that they have reduced their programme to Barcelona next summer aswell!. Even LGW-ALC peak summer programme 2013 is showing just one rotation a day mid week vs. Easyjets 4-5 flights a day.

And Monarch says that they are trying to take hold of the market!!!!!

I dont know about that! :) :ugh:

I just think Monarch product is too similar to their rivals or not different enough!

TartinTon
4th Oct 2012, 20:52
Best swap that uniform for an orange one then Monarch_Pilot.....

pabloc
4th Oct 2012, 22:19
Were as orange pilots seem to be swapping there uniforms for purple!!!;)

toledoashley
5th Oct 2012, 09:51
With the dropping of Milan - could this be in preparation for the based aircraft at Manchester operating the MAN-LHR for Virgin Atlantic.

MANTHRUST
5th Oct 2012, 16:22
Now we're talking, a good rumour at last.
Can't see it happening though.

rumair999
5th Oct 2012, 20:36
Anything interesting flying for MON this weekend ?

STATSMAN
6th Oct 2012, 06:48
Yes me flying home from ALC on ZB683 today.

Ok I'll get my suitcase and go to the airport!

sam dilly
6th Oct 2012, 11:08
So far this weekend they seem to have a Titan 146, and also the Titan 767,the 767 doing its first flight in Europe since the MOD hired in the Portuguese to take our troops to the Falklands.

leisurelad
6th Oct 2012, 13:55
Anyone know whats up with Monarch today, both LGW and BHX seem to be having problems looking at the boards.

Thanks

Buster the Bear
6th Oct 2012, 16:37
Balkan Holidays rumoured to be the operator of Virgin Domestic.

CabinCrewe
6th Oct 2012, 17:35
wasnt that the original rumour months ago ?

OltonPete
6th Oct 2012, 17:56
leisurelad

There was a delay on BHX-LPA but that seems to have been resolved although there must have been some problem (Slot, Crew or aircraft etc) as the aircraft was on the ground for 3 hours (BN).

Not sure about Gatwick but there is Calima 738 inbound now from PMI on ZB227. BHX has a third Monarch A320 replacing the Aerula, which seems to be here most of the time but gaps are now appearing in the schedule as the wind-down has started in readiness for winter, which should help if delays arise or at least it should at BHX.

Saying that two new routes start the week after next but others are reducing.

Charley B
6th Oct 2012, 20:14
The Titan 767 came in from Faro at 19.00 and presumably will be used again tonight at LGW by MON-Still a few delays, but BA have had quite a few too!
The Mauritius is delayed till tomorrow,THE 2ND TIME THAT HAS HAPPENED THIS WEEK and one of the Orlando flights this am was canx!

SCANDIC
9th Oct 2012, 20:15
Not long now til MONR is removed from Monarch's fleet + MPCD. Do you think that the 75's have already been bought by Fed Ex.

Mr @ Spotty M
9th Oct 2012, 20:22
Both "NR" & "CD" are on maintenance from 5th till the 11th Nov in BRU.
I believe a/c have to be in Tupelo by 15th November.
With regards the B757s, the answer is No as far as l know. :ok:

SCANDIC
9th Oct 2012, 20:49
Cheers mate

SCANDIC
9th Oct 2012, 21:02
Why do you think no one bought the A300's and used them as freighters are they to knackered to be converted.

MKY661
9th Oct 2012, 21:17
Sad to see these two aircraft going. Both have served Monarch for a long time so they must have done a good job. Wonder why the A320 was not retained for next summer as the standby aircraft.

Hopefully Monarch have found some more aircraft to use for summer 2013 as well as the two A320's and two A321's due next year.

Alex321
9th Oct 2012, 21:26
Hopefully a number of additional 320 will be joining the fleet before the height of summer 2013

SCANDIC
9th Oct 2012, 21:40
Do you think that one of the a320's could be OOAR of thomson airways to join monarch the lease is up in november.

Alloy
9th Oct 2012, 22:18
Supposedly eight aircraft in total to be added for next summer:
2 new 321s,
2 new 320s,
4 used 320s.

Mr @ Spotty M
10th Oct 2012, 04:53
Its 4 used A320/321s.
First one G-OZBY Scandic, could be prior to 2013.:ok:

RHINO
10th Oct 2012, 08:35
But it is 8 in total Mr @ Spotty M ......not like you to get it wrong:ok:

SCANDIC
10th Oct 2012, 10:43
Nothing will ever be able to replace the 757's.

sunday8pm
10th Oct 2012, 12:35
What chance of a Monarch/Jet2 merger in the not so distant future?

pabely
10th Oct 2012, 14:56
Are the Dart Group looking to offload it?

ematom1
10th Oct 2012, 15:21
When will the leased aircraft be replaced for monarch aircraft at east midlands?

on time all the time
10th Oct 2012, 15:23
all in house from 1st nov.

sunday8pm
10th Oct 2012, 15:30
You wonder how long both Monarch and Jet2 can both keep expanding and competing for the same business in a market such as the one we're in at the moment. Michael O'Leary is right when he says that the market in Europe is going through a period of consolidation, so might they be better off as a joint force, offering something above Easy/FR but below Thomas Cook/TUI.

StoneyBridge Radar
10th Oct 2012, 16:20
Monarch below Thomas Cook and TUI...?

You are havin' a larff, aren't you ? :ugh:

Dannyboy39
10th Oct 2012, 16:24
Wouldn't a more profitable merger be between Monarch and Thomson? The two biggest European players in that "niche". With both names/brands remaining (a la Iberia/BA Air France/KLM)

Would never happen though.

mesh
10th Oct 2012, 17:56
We looked at it but no, we wont be operating it

easyflyer83
10th Oct 2012, 18:38
There is already a strong player between FR and TOM (leisure wise anyway). It's called Easyjet and is much stronger than Monarch who hold a similar position between the former two.

CabinCrewe
10th Oct 2012, 20:03
I would definitely say an enlarging fleet of MON second hand A320's and ageing A300/330 is "below" a TOM Brand new fleet of factory delivered 737-800 or new 787's. But each to their own.

Mr @ Spotty M
10th Oct 2012, 20:30
I was referring to the 4 used a/c, which l pointed out were going to be both A320 & A321. :ok:

MissChief
11th Oct 2012, 08:06
Monarch merger with Thomas Cook? Could be on if Monarch's expansion gamble doesn't pay off. (Of course, it could be a take-over)

mgy2k90
12th Oct 2012, 02:29
WIFI is now being trialled on FBW fleet. Don't know how far along, I presume it is a biproduct of the EFB?

Lee Baker Street
12th Oct 2012, 05:35
CabinCrewe, in terms of service, Thomson offerings are far below that of Monarch who continue to offer a basic requirement such as in flight meals and not cardboard food!

In relation to ageing aircraft, I often hear this argument but I point out what is worse- an older aircraft maintained to the highest levels or a young fleet who are being pushed to their limits day in and day out and ageing far quicker?

Buster the Bear
12th Oct 2012, 17:52
I flew on a 19 year old Monarch Airbus this year, it was older than the First Officer (well he looked that old)! No different to the 6 month old Ryanair 737 we flew on a month later (First Office looked considerably older than 26 weeks). Mind you, if Ryanair keep landing them that hard the airframes won't last 19 years!

Serenity
14th Oct 2012, 09:25
Good to see!! :D

Monarch saw passenger numbers increase by 19% year-on-year in August, to 748,325, while capacity increased by 16.5% and load factor improved by 1.7% points. Kevin George, managing director, said: ‘Achieving a load factor of 94.5%, well above the industry norm, is an excellent result for the airline.’

Dannyboy39
14th Oct 2012, 10:06
Without a doubt, the MRO facilities and maintenance standards Monarch have, are at for both its own airline and other customers are top class and probably close to world leading. I think only Lufthansa were rated as better in Europe.

No qualms about a 24 year old B757 or 22 year old A300 or A320.

SCANDIC
14th Oct 2012, 14:40
Well said that man.

OltonPete
14th Oct 2012, 16:10
Two more new routes start this week from BHX with Funchal (Or should I say Madeira, which Monarch use in the booking engine) tomorrow but the one I am more interested in is Sharm El Sheikh.

I know from further back in this thread there is a sub-fleet of A321's fitted with a centre tank I believe and I was wondering if this has this been extended to all the A321 fleet? I realise a sub-fleet of four is probably enough to cover the current bases, as BHX for example is twice weekly.

Also is it possible for the A320 to operate SSH-BHX or MAN, I know Thomson use 738's from various stations and they obviously have the legs for it.

SCANDIC
14th Oct 2012, 16:39
I liked the Monarch livery on the 767 when they had one.

Mr @ Spotty M
14th Oct 2012, 17:37
They are not rolling it out across the A321 Fleet.
However "ZBR" becomes operational with an ACT fitted on 2nd November and "ZBG" 12th November.
wifi is not being trailed on the FBW fleet and it has nothing to do with the EFB.
One A321 a/c is going to fitted with wifi on a trail basis to see if it makes money, if not, that will be it.

tubby linton
14th Oct 2012, 18:50
I wouldn't disagree with MR @ SpottyM. If anybody knows what is going on with the fleet it is him.
My bad ,is this a comment on the former MY travel organisation?

mgy2k90
14th Oct 2012, 18:58
I haven't disagreed with him. I am just putting out there what I have been told/seen, him giving me feedback is what I am looking for. Everybody at MON knows whats going on in the fleet, to an extent, some just know a little more than others.
This is a rumour network, I'm trying to find out how true the rumours are and if anything I have seen can be confirmed by the likes of spotty.
Thank you

tubby linton
14th Oct 2012, 19:36
If you are that interested then perhaps you should visit our private forum and ask the fleet manager. The A330 doesn't have the efb fitted.
There is no mention in any of the efb newsletters that have been issued by the project pilot of using the pax wifi for access

TartinTon
14th Oct 2012, 20:13
OP, A320 SSH ops are fine from MAN and ok from BHX with a max 7 seat restriction inbound depending on conditions.
mgy2k90, as for the upcoming wifi trial this has absolutely nothing to do with EFB and that's as much as you will learn for now. Mr @ Spotty M is spot on, as usual!

Buster the Bear
14th Oct 2012, 20:25
"And the point of talking about the FOs age was...?"

I have no idea of his age, he looked young, but then again so did I once. Not doubting his abilities, just a comparison between the age of the airframe. I would challenge anyone to think that it left Toulouse for the first time over 18 years ago.

Having flown in a BA 767 fairly recently, that DID look its age of 23 years! The FO on that flight had a grey beard, so probably a bit older than the airframe.

mgy2k90
14th Oct 2012, 20:28
Thank you for confirming that. I shall have to put my sources straight then. Always good to have one over on somebody... :O ;)

OltonPete
14th Oct 2012, 20:40
TartinTon & Mr @ Spotty M

Thank you for the replies, I am sure SSH will do the buisness subject to the political situation remaining stable.

In the main still cracking loads on most routes at BHX, hopefully onwards and upwards.

MANTHRUST
14th Oct 2012, 23:45
And still no shortage of pax to SSH, recession? What recession.

Dannyboy39
21st Oct 2012, 17:26
So, as mentioned earlier on this thread, Monarch want to expand their short haul scheduled network with maybe another dozen aircraft added to the fleet. And the long haul routes being phased out.

In my humble opinion, its totally the wrong course considering the amount of competition from its main bases into mainland Europe from the powerhouses easyJet and Ryanair. For me, long haul routes should be maintained and expanded. I also believed it was wrong to cancel the B787 order.

So, what routes/gaps in the market are currently "available"; with no real competition from EZY/FR? Any ideas what these potential new destinations could be?

For me, I'd expand to...

Boa Vista - Cape Verde Islands
Marrakech - Morocco
Djerba - Tunisia
Luqa - Malta
Funchal - Portugal
Any more?

CabinCrewe
21st Oct 2012, 17:48
Not convinced by Cape Verde. This has been cut from some programs and gets very mixed reviews as a resort. Malta is old news and has seen reductions rather than growth. North Africa improving but still a bit "iffy".
I do think they missed a trick with the 787 but with APD etc and less drastic cuts on long haul by TCX than expected, perhaps they did their sums correctly.
Most have consolidated on the major long haul centres rather than develop new "long thin leisure". A 787 would be wasted on any of Monarch's medium haul.

OltonPete
21st Oct 2012, 18:30
Dannyboy39

Funchal started last Monday from BHX, just weekly to start but then goes twice weekly from the winter schedule.

Malta

I thought they might go for this from BHX this winter as Ryanair were very late releasing their BHX flights.

Marrakech - BHX has never had a schedule to RAK and could be one for the future

There was talk about a year ago of a link with Air Europa and I half-expect a BHX-Madrid and that route is still unserved.

easyflyer83
21st Oct 2012, 18:45
Malta and Marrakech are already served reasonably well by Easyjet and Ryanair. Funchal is also served by Easyjet.

Dannyboy39
21st Oct 2012, 19:20
Was just putting it out there; a hypothetical scenario really. I'm struggling to find places in Europe that aren't already served by EZY/FR that ZB could expand into.

easyflyer83
21st Oct 2012, 19:49
Was just putting it out there; a hypothetical scenario really. I'm struggling to find places in Europe that aren't already served by EZY/FR that ZB could expand into.

Absolutely and from a short haul perspective Easyjet go as far if not slightly further than Monarch, something which was unthinkable only 4/5 years ago. Who'd have thought SSH, AMM, TLV etc.

My personal view is that Monarch will always struggle to compete. It has a well established brand but only in the UK, they do a great job serving the Costas, Balearics and Canaries but otherwise they aren't that different from many other LCC's.

Mr A Tis
21st Oct 2012, 20:08
I think Monarch could do something to improve their pricing / yield management.

Their fares don't seem to work on the steady increases as seats are sold (a la EZY), but seem to start exceptionally high, then work down & then back up again.
Then there is the £20 off sale, which has become like a DFS sale as when this "offer" ends, an identical one starts a few days later. This becomes unbelievable as a genuine offer to the consumer.

Certainly from MAN, I've found it more cost effective to fly via AMS to BCN with KLM this year on several occasions (+ you get a choice of flight times).
I can't believe their MAN-MUC is so heavily booked that for a flight in 7 months time it's almost £200 (with seat & bags), whereas with EZY it's £146 & with the most choice of departure times - Lufthansa comes in at only £141.

Out of all the UK Locos, I find ZB probably the most civilised to travel with & you don't usually get herded onto airbridges & pens when the aircraft is not ready for boarding. However, to so often price themselves above full service airlines is IMHO a mistake.

TartinTon
21st Oct 2012, 20:56
I think Monarch could do something to improve their pricing / yield management.

Interesting that you say that and yet they have published that their load factors for Aug were 94% and Sep were 93%, well above both EZY and Ryan.

Great loads and higher yields sounds like an airlines ideal situation in my book!

easyflyer83
21st Oct 2012, 22:18
But by the same token, when you look at your typical Monarch routes, if they couldn't achieve such loads in peak Summer then there definitely would be something going wrong. Championing high August load factors at a bucket and spade based carrier doesn't really hold any water. An airline with a more diverse network can achieve similar loads on similar routes whilst seeing some load reductions on business orientated routes during that sae 'peak' period.

Mr A Tis
21st Oct 2012, 22:51
easyflyer makes an excellent point.
When Monarch have diversified they have so far, had to retreat e.g from Madrid & Milan (I would not be surprised to see Verona & Munich next).
If they are serious about city flights then they need to do more homework first.
The last time I took ZB to BCN, I had 3 seats to myself, that was a few months ago, since then I've been on KLM.

STATSMAN
22nd Oct 2012, 05:58
Inbound to MAN 21/10/2012 MXP 69 passengers. VRN 86 passengers mostly grey haired walkers.

MKY661
22nd Oct 2012, 06:57
Obviously MXP has had bad loads that is why they are dropping it. I think MUC will be OK once the winter season gets going, Its FDH that I'm unsure about. Also people have said VRN has had bad loads they still seem to be operating it next year. They only do it from MAN anyway.

Burnie5204
22nd Oct 2012, 11:06
Well there has certainly been a change...

At EMA we're still seeing the Air Italy Group and the Small Planet aircraft but as well as the voices of the wet lease crews we've come to recognise there is now a profoundly british voice in the flight deck on every flight and from what I can gather its the captains.

Now I doubt these are the incoming based captains as the Air Italy and Small Planet a/c are a 733 and a 734 but the based ZB is to be A321 so I can only presume this is in response to another issue.

Lee Baker Street
22nd Oct 2012, 15:34
During last week, media reports quoted ABTA as staing that package holidays are now increasing again. In fact during 2010 37% of travellers prefered package holidays. During 2011 that figure increased to 42% and this year the figure stands at 48%. If it increases to 60% that figure will represent the pre Easyjet and Ryanair days.

Maybe there will be interesting years ahead once more?

OliWW
22nd Oct 2012, 15:43
Wouldn't say there is a British speaking captain flying every day, every flight, there is one working for Small Planet, that's it. Passengers are lucky if they get 1 Monarch flight attended pop up once a week, usually on a Saturday morning.

SCANDIC
22nd Oct 2012, 15:47
Would most poeple say that monarch' 757's are in better condition than most english operators.

Burnie5204
22nd Oct 2012, 16:06
OliWW

I would, speaking to them briefly and seeing them getting on and off both aircraft as well as hearing them on the radio all day (8 movements either inbound or outbound)

Even if it was only yesterday it's certainly not something that we've seen/heard since they started operating the wet leases at EMA but there was definately one british flight crew member and one non-native voice on every MON flightdeck yesterday.

DomyDom
22nd Oct 2012, 16:51
Inbound to MAN 21/10/2012 MXP 69 passengers. VRN 86 passengers mostly grey haired walkers.

STATSMAN, Don't forget some of us Silver Foxes have plenty of disposable cash to spend. Also I would expect the autumn to be relatively quiet as it is after the summer season (VRN is good in summer for the Italian Lakes and Opera festival) but before the ski season when VRN provides good access to the Alps. When I used the route in the summer it was absolutley packed with both high end holiday makers and city breakers. I think VRN will be fine. With regard to MXP it suprised me that ZB even picked this as they would be up against Flybe as well as the 'cheaper' option of FR at Bergamo. I would like them to try elsewhere in Italy or France that is currently unserved (e.g. Bordeaux)

chinapattern
22nd Oct 2012, 17:22
Would really like to see Monarch launch flights to Pisa, every other major UK airport has flights so the demand must be surely be there. And given the loads on bmibaby's last flights to Lisbon and Prague then surely they're worth investigating? Other possible destinations; Geneva? Warsaw? Riga?

OliWW
22nd Oct 2012, 19:26
Burnie5204

Funnily enough, the majority of the crews are Italian or Lithuanian. The crew change round every so often, they all have tour plans and rotate around after so many flights. There is only one English Captain I have met, probably more. Its also an A320 that's being based for the winter.

paully
24th Oct 2012, 22:29
Just be aware of Monarch`s so called special offers..I received an email offering a discount on flights,using one their codes, valid until the 31st October only to find when I went to book tonight , for some strange reason, that it has now expired early. Fine if thats their game, on principle will now book elsewhere. Whatever they do, their management appears less than convincing

Mr A Tis
25th Oct 2012, 08:40
See post 923

Buster the Bear
27th Oct 2012, 19:18
Looks like Monarch will have some stiff competition out of Gatwick next summer from Norwegian. Looking at the routes announced, many compete.

FRatSTN
27th Oct 2012, 19:52
After the Stansted sale, perhaps a shift of some of those Gatwick routes to Stansted since EasyJet are dropping the key ones like Alicante and Barcelona? Only Ryanair remains on those now, not even a Thomson charter or anything like that!

The only problem is that Monarch, amongst many other airlines like this view it as the tradition to serve Gatwick since that was designated the holiday/leisure/charter flight airport of London and a move to Stansted would be ultimately unrealistic. It's an approach that airlines need to drop and airlines should cater for the under-served markets, rather than overcrowding airports with too much direct competition having duplicate routes from several airlines. For example there will now be about 15 daily departures from Gatwick with 5 airlines to Barcelona in the summer, Stansted and Luton will have only up to 2 departures with 1 airline each! There is no way that demand for this route is more than 5 times stronger round Sussex than in Essex.

Particularly after the Stansted sale, Monarch could acheive much higher yield at Stansted than Gatwick, but it's this biased sort of "tradition" that makes them soldier on at Gatwick, where they have now just become obscured as one of a load of operators, they don't scream out as a highly attractive option with the likes of EasyJet and BA alongside them. They would at Stansted since many would happily pay that bit more to avoid flying with Ryanair!

Serenity
27th Oct 2012, 22:34
Monarch are a highly attractive option at LGW and other airports.
Their costs are competitive and they have a large base of regular passengers who appreciate the higher standards offered.
Monarch are a well known and respected operator.

FRatSTN
27th Oct 2012, 23:02
Precisely! That's why they are sort of shooting themselves in the foot by offering the same routes as EasyJet, Thomson, Thomas Cook, BA in some cases and now Norwegian as well! In all fairness, their costs are not that different to EasyJet if cheaper at all and the frequencies of most of their routes are considerably less so what (other than the slightly higher standards as you put it) about Monarch really screams out to the consumer over the above airlines?

All I'm saying is I beleive Monarch could still remain highly competetive by competing indirectly with those airlines by stepping into Stansted (not suggesting Monarch should completely leave Gatwick) since it's fairly under-served on their key routes such as Alicante, Faro etc. as only Ryanair now flies those routes from Stansted. Monarch could take advantage of the EasyJet closures of those routes by opening a small base at Stansted since Ryanair is less of a threat than it's current direct competitors at Gatwick since the service differenciates on a greater level. As I say, a lot of people would choose to pay a bit extra for the standards of Monarch and avoid Ryanair!

easyflyer83
27th Oct 2012, 23:08
The 'higher standards' of monarch itself refers back to a bygone era. There is very little between various LCC/Short haul charter these days.

Skipness One Echo
28th Oct 2012, 01:05
That's why they are sort of shooting themselves in the foot by offering the same routes as EasyJet, Thomson, Thomas Cook, BA i
You would prefer them to avoid popular places where many people wish to fly to and diversify into places to where no one wishes to visit?
Do you perhaps work in marketing? I feel we may have been in a meeting together at some point....

Dannyboy39
28th Oct 2012, 08:09
What's the point of basing aircraft at Stansted, when you already have a base, headquarters and primary maintenance facility at Luton? Monarch aren't exactly going to fill 10s of stands overnight, so space isn't going to be a huge issue at Luton.

spottilludrop
28th Oct 2012, 13:13
Have to say as someone who uses a few of he LC,s MON are certainly a cut above the likes of jet 2

FRatSTN
28th Oct 2012, 13:22
You would prefer them to avoid popular places where many people wish to fly to and diversify into places to where no one wishes to visit?

No I think they should continue to fly to their destinations but could consider doing some of them from Stansted since only Ryanair flies to the popular destinations in a lot of cases such as Alicante, Barcelona and Faro whilst Gatwick has loads of alternative flights and airlines. They could get themselves a good deal with the new oweners of Stansted and fill the gap left by EasyJet who have been axing the popular sun and city routes.

What's the point of basing aircraft at Stansted, when you already have a base, headquarters and primary maintenance facility at Luton?

EasyJet have four London airports, all on a much greater level than Monarch so they could easily serve Stansted alongside Luton. The problem is that Luton also has a similar problem with either EasyJet (the low-cost option) or Thomson (the better service option) if not both, offering the same routes as Monarch. For Stansted, many popular routes are now only left with the low-cost but very basic service of Ryanair and Monarch could benefit by bringing something new to Stansted since Essex, Cambridgeshire and Hertforshire are all very affluent areas and would all desire something with a little more service from their local airport

LGS6753
28th Oct 2012, 13:38
For Stansted, many popular routes are now only left with the low-cost but very basic service of Ryanair and Monarch could benefit by bringing something new to Stansted since Essex, Cambridgeshire and Hertforshire are all very affluent areas and would all desire something with a little more service from their local airport

Stansted is not a popular airport with many travellers. It has good facilities and is uncrowded, but it just isn't where people want to fly from. Hence it's major carrier is Ryanair, whose main attraction is price. If you want to fly cheap, you go to STN, otherwise you go to a more convenient departure airport.

If MON went into STN, they would be going head-to-head against the lowest-cost and most aggressive competitor, for a share of a tiny market (that area they don't already serve from LTN or EMA).

So, let's face it, they won't be going in to STN any time soon.

FRatSTN
28th Oct 2012, 14:41
but it just isn't where people want to fly from.

Sorry but I disagree. What is it really that makes Stansted so unatractive to passengers when compared to Gatwick and Luton. The demand for flights around Stansted is certainly very high indeed and since it has impressive load factors of about 80% on every flight throughout the whole year on average, clearly people do want to fly from there!

pamann
28th Oct 2012, 15:15
but it just isn't where people want to fly from.

You're always going to get these 'anti-Stansted' comments from 90% of those who frequent PPRuNe who believe that Luton is the centre of the universe. So quit whilst you're ahead and only time will tell.

Just for the record I'd be grateful to see anyone on the routes you mention other than Ryanair.

Dannyboy39
28th Oct 2012, 15:17
80% load factors isn't that impressive is it? They'd be extremely dissappointed it was lower than that. I'd say a sure sign that passengers don't want to travel from there is the number of routes and airlines the airport has been haemoragging in the last 12 months. Carriers such as Air Asia moving to Gatwick and several easyJet routes moving to both Southend and Luton.

I'd say Stansted has been the main victim of Ryanair's vast success. One carrier with so much leverage and power at one airport. Smashing the competition.

I've been bemoaning Monarch recently; what they're doing at the moment is probably quite good; their load factors in the 90s% this summer. What I'm afraid of is where they're going to go when their fleet grows to the upper 40s? Especially as the fleet will be just A320/1s essentially.

adfly
28th Oct 2012, 15:21
Greater variety of airlines and routes/frequency's (Less so of the latter for LTN) and neither airport has anywhere near as much dominance by one airline as STN does with Ryanair. Better rail links and also locations (Luton is good for a lot of London + Oxford/Buckinghamshire & Gatwick has South London + Kent, Surrey/Sussex, Hampshire) also play a part along with onward connectivity mainly @ Gatwick. Stansted still has a strong catchment and high demand but these factors are the main reasons that many people choose LGW or LTN over STN.

FRatSTN
28th Oct 2012, 16:43
Dannyboy 39, I'm not even going to bother differing on your view. You live in Luton and are quite clearly an 'anti-Stansted' person as pamann quite nicely put it. All I will say is that 80% is very impressive for the entire year as an average and load factors are climing at Stansted despite passenger declines, clearly showing the demand is there. Considering the less than half full planes that most airports get outside the peak seasons, 80% for the whole year is very impressive and suggests virtually full, if not completely full planes operating through the summer and it's LF's are actually now above Gatwick's!

(Luton is good for a lot of London + Oxford/Buckinghamshire & Gatwick has South London + Kent, Surrey/Sussex, Hampshire)

Stansted is probably the first choice airport for all those North and East London, Essex, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk with parts of Northamtonshire also. Even a good amount of people from where I live in Leicester (in the Midlands!) use Stansted easily as much as Luton despite being half an hour further away by road and are both on direct rail routes but Luton is much faster in that sense. Yet despite that, everybody I have asked round here say they still prefer Stansted! Now what could possibly be the explanation to that???

Dannyboy39
28th Oct 2012, 17:44
Is that your only argument - that any who disagrees is "anti-Stansted"? Delusional. I think we all want a booming UK aviation industry don't we. Heck, I do and I bet the vast majority of others on this forum, rely on it for work!

The numbers and facts speak for themselves. In an era, where air transport is supposed to be booming and numbers are supposed to rapidly growing, Stansted bucks the trend by going backwards.

To be honest, I blame BAA as much as Ryanair.

davidjohnson6
28th Oct 2012, 17:48
Could we move the discussion of the merits (or lack) of Stansted to the Stansted thread ? There are plenty of people who wish to contribute to this discussion, but they won't be aware of the points being raised if it remains on the Monarch thread

TheQuietLife
28th Oct 2012, 23:44
I'd be ready for some PR fall out over the new Monarch hand baggage policy and its implementation timescale.

I think the PR spin being put on this is disgusting, and not at all what I would expect from Monarch.

Old policy was a single item, 56x45x20cm. Hand bags, laptops etc were fine - so long as they fitted inside the single hand baggage item permitted to go through security and boarding.

Monarch have announced this as 'two seperate items now permitted through security and boarding', however both must fit together within the permitted space.

And the permitted space is reduced to 56x40x20 cm!

That's 5cm narrower, and means a 10+% reduction in overall volume. Effective thursday 1st November, regardless of when passengers booked.

The previous size was the same as BA and U2 maximum size, now it is smaller than standard.

Expect some problems from people who booked when their bags met the dimensions, and turn up at the airport on Thursday not having been advised of the change. And thouse people on return trips who flew out before the changes, etc.

And at Luton, it is still one item, so a pure and simple size reduction.

Mr A Tis
29th Oct 2012, 09:37
In a way it is quiet a sensible move, although I don't understand the 5cm reduction. It's not going to make a real difference, but just cause hassle.

My cabin bag is usually small, even smaller than the Ryanair allowance. However, I often have a laptop - this is very difficult to get inside the small bag. My cabin bag + laptop side by side would easily fit into any airline baggage cage (inc RYR), but for all LoCo airlines this isn't acceptable, which really is a nonsense.

TSR2
29th Oct 2012, 09:44
Hand luggage still 10Kg weight though.

IB4138
30th Oct 2012, 08:00
So, Monarch have, apart from 1cm, dropped to Ryanair size for hand baggage.

As for Luton, you can take 2 bags through security IF you pay for fast track.

.....and it does cause hassle.......if you have one flight on Monarch during a set of flights, you now need to buy a new bag.

The email is a little naughty as it sings "two bags" loudly to you, without drawing attention to the size reduction.

squeaker
30th Oct 2012, 09:37
The reasoning behind this is that on many flights, especially when full, the hat bins max out on volume. It is not unknown to have 10-20 bags have to go in the hold at point of boarding, with commensurate delay while they all get tagged and loaded late on. Admittedly, better regulation of bag size at the gate would help, but thanks to online check in, often it seems the first person to actually evaluate someone's carry on baggage size is the Cabin Crew member at doors 1.

SCANDIC
30th Oct 2012, 18:59
Anyone know where the next 2 a320/321's are coming from.:cool:

OltonPete
30th Oct 2012, 21:00
Hopefully these new aircraft will be in place before the start of the summer schedule in Easter, as the BHX schedule is poor especially to the bread and butter Med routes.

Monarch Palma was 5/6 weekly in April last year and it doesn't even operate in April, Alicante, Malaga, Faro & Larnaca all showing reduced frequencies. No sign of Barcelona or Nice in April either.

I assume there is more to come depending on aicraft deliveries? May onwards BHX shows a busy nine aircraft base .

Travel Agent
31st Oct 2012, 17:03
Monarch / Cosmos have pulled NCL-SFB & CWL-SFB for next summer due to lack of sales

rumair999
3rd Nov 2012, 20:20
Nasty delay on MAN-FAO-MAN, final boarding now 2020 should have gone @ 0730 this morning !

Big delays across the fleet the last couple of days as well.

j636
3rd Nov 2012, 20:45
Looking to book flights from BHX-FCO in May and June next year but it appears the routes being dropped from 30 April. Is it a schedule problems due to fleet being updated for the summer or just being dropped for summer.

Dannyboy39
3rd Nov 2012, 20:52
What aircraft was that on the Faro route?

MKY661
3rd Nov 2012, 21:25
A EuroAtlantic B767 :) Think it was supposed to be an A321

Looking to book flights from BHX-FCO in May and June next year but it appears the routes being dropped from 30 April. Is it a schedule problems due to fleet being updated for the summer or just being dropped for summer.

Fine on my computer. Can't really see anything except the additional flights to GIB in December (Probably for christmas)

TartinTon
3rd Nov 2012, 22:12
j636...BHXFCO showing daily on my screen for May 13

j636
3rd Nov 2012, 22:18
Got it now, didn't know you had to select 0 for child and infants which stopped it coming up.

Buster the Bear
3rd Nov 2012, 23:01
Not long now for Non Runner

Meering
4th Nov 2012, 00:40
Flew Monarch Dalaman to Gatwick today. 2.5 hour delay. There was a Monarch A321 on the tarmac all the time and when we were departing the Captain advised us the reason for the delay was due to having to reshuffle flights. the A321 had suffered a bird strike, starboard engine, after leaving Cyprus and had to land at Dalaman. And one of the A300s was giving problems with "slow retraction of the landing gear". Clearly the end of the holiday season in Turkey as aircraft was full for us but only 4 passengers on board out of LGW...

The90sAME
4th Nov 2012, 01:52
Nothing big IMO.

Tech issue can be few and far between, you can have periods with little issue, then bam, you can have numerous tech issue in a short period, these things happen.

Birdstrikes on the other hand can happen anywhere at any time to any airline, so that nothing of concern regarding Monarchs ops / mx.

Serenity
4th Nov 2012, 08:30
Show me an airline that's never had a bird strike or reshuffled the day due to a tech item!!

Mr @ Spotty M
4th Nov 2012, 08:58
Both aircraft are due to start their end of lease checks tomorrow in BRU. :ok:

Dannyboy39
4th Nov 2012, 09:01
Not long now for Non Runner
Ooh very cryptic! :ok:

Buster the Bear
4th Nov 2012, 12:15
In the early days the inital 2 A300s were called locally as Non Runner & Non Starter.

MKY661
4th Nov 2012, 13:24
Very sad to see both aircraft going both hve been with Monarch for ages and they have been very well maintained. Wonder which base will lose an A300 next summer and I wonder if we will see the sme fate of the other two old A320's in the next few years?

tubby linton
4th Nov 2012, 16:06
The smart money is on LGW losing an A300 next summer. NR is going to a breakers in Tupelo Mississippi via Portsmouth ,New Hampshire. Over her service she has generated 2 and a half tons of technical records and they will be going on CD(also to Tupelo) a few days later.

MKY661
4th Nov 2012, 16:18
NR is going to a breakers in Tupelo Mississippi via Portsmouth ,New Hampshire.

Think CD is going there as well apparently.

MANTHRUST
4th Nov 2012, 18:51
That's modern technology for you, 2.5 tonnes of paper records onto one CD.

chip butty
4th Nov 2012, 19:38
Sad to see these two aircraft leaving for the knackers yard. I was on the ramp at LTN when NR arrived from Toulouse, and it felt like such a big jump forward for MON, all down to Alan Snuddens vision, and as for CD, to many it's just another 320 but the gentleman it was named in honour of, he was scary, knowledgeable, well respected, and mad in equal measures, RIP the original PCD and his 320 G-MPCD.

tubby linton
4th Nov 2012, 20:51
Manthrust I think you will find that CD will mean a very large cardboard dustbin or ten.

OltonPete
4th Nov 2012, 21:11
D5 Architects LLP - News (http://www.d5architects.net/index.php/html/news)

I would say a significant bit of news for Monarch, BHX and the greater West Midlands. Has somebody jumped the gun here?

Not sure if the link will open but just Google d5 architects if not. It seems to open at the Homepage but just click the news/press release link.

True Blue
4th Nov 2012, 21:58
Think you need to take a much closer look! It depends on what you are looking at, dates etc. If no direct route exists on a day, it will show indirect flights. The new routes are direct/non-stop.

SCANDIC
4th Nov 2012, 22:20
Still a shame that no one bought MONR for use as a freighter. Talking of scrapping aircraft one of the bmi 330's is going to be scrapped and thats only 11 years old.

SCANDIC
4th Nov 2012, 23:07
Does anybody know how many hours MONR has flown and also MPCD.

chaps2011
4th Nov 2012, 23:12
I`m sure I read somewhere recently that needs some major work doing so is just
not economic to repair

Benjamino
4th Nov 2012, 23:30
That's interesting to hear about MPCD being named after somebody, wasn't aware of that. I know it's a bit spotter-ish, but MON has a few regs in the fleet that don't correspond with the others (MAJS, OJMR, DAJB, MRJK, MARA, OJEG... and both A330's - EOMA and SMAN). Anyone know if there's a story behind these as well? :confused:

Skipness One Echo
5th Nov 2012, 00:01
G-MAJS was named for Alan Snudden, mentioned above.

tubby linton
5th Nov 2012, 00:01
The registrations all refer to former company directors , chief pilots , or company shareholders.

Dannyboy39
5th Nov 2012, 06:19
SMAN is a certain Swiss-Italian businessman.

Georgeablelovehowindia
5th Nov 2012, 08:07
I see that, having done their last flights, no time was wasted in the process of getting them off the books. 'NR flew MAN-BRU earlier this morning, with 'CD following a few minutes behind.

on time all the time
5th Nov 2012, 09:45
benjamino,
Indeed some a/c have a registration nb which is linked to some people who brought a significant input in Monarch.
G-MAJS is dedicated to John Snudden for instance.

chip butty
5th Nov 2012, 10:33
a few from memory

G-OJMR - Jim Rainbow - MAEL MD
G-MAJS - Alan Snudden- MAL MD
G-DMCA - Don McAngus - MAL MD
G-DAJB - Jack Burridge - Chief Pilot?
G-MPCD - Peter Dorrington - MAL Director
G-SMAN - shareholder
G-EOMA - shareholder
G-MARA - shareholder
G-MRJK - Bob Kirby - MAEL MD
G-OJEG - John Gibson - MAEL Director

compton3bravo
5th Nov 2012, 13:07
Peter Dorrington was at Court Line and moved to Monarch when they went bust and Jim Rainbow cut his teeth at Manston working for either Invicta or Air Ferry.

jungle jim
5th Nov 2012, 13:22
G-DHSW B737-300 Harry Wyatt - one of the founders of Monarch - father of Phil Wyatt

Flown it many times out of Glasgow and latterly Berlin. Happy days!

pppdrive
5th Nov 2012, 13:42
I'm ashamed to say that even after 8 years working for them, I wasn't aware of aircraft registrations being named after people. I remember well Jim Rainbow, Don McAngus, Jack Burridge and Peter Dorrington. Sadly I left before Alan Snudden took office, so never knew him.
Paul

Flightrider
5th Nov 2012, 15:10
DAJB was for Danny Bernstein, who was the MD for quite a long time!

chip butty
5th Nov 2012, 15:41
...err no it wasnt, DAJB joined the fleet on 16/03/1987 - Danny didnt rock up till '91 :ok: