PDA

View Full Version : Monarch - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Say again s l o w l y
3rd Nov 2014, 16:17
Jamesp. I do know and you are talking rubbish.

SCANDIC
3rd Nov 2014, 18:43
People are just interested in what aircraft are coming and going and there's nothing wrong with that, all people have been doing on here for months is trying to guess what is going to happen to monarch and only the owners know what that will be. There's nothing wrong with being a spotter.

The96er
3rd Nov 2014, 18:52
There's nothing wrong with being a spotter.

It does come across as somewhat tedious when all you ever comment on are Monarch 757's !

SCANDIC
3rd Nov 2014, 19:19
That's because they are a great aircraft, one of the best boeings ever made, it doesn't matter anymore because they'll soon be gone.

Buster the Bear
3rd Nov 2014, 19:26
Having once flown Luton-Cardiff-Bangor-Orlando in MONJ, Mrs Buster would not agree! Mind you the tickets were cheap.

Nfield750
4th Nov 2014, 06:37
Just read somewhere that G-MONJ and G-MONK are "for disposal" - I presume this means they are being scrapped? Monarch could at least have given people a chance to say goodbye with an enthusiast flight. Its wicked to deprive these beautiful birds of a fitting tribute, they have served the airline well for years and dont deserve this treatment.
Goodbye Swans of the Sky.:sad:
If anyone knows different PLEASE comfort a very upset woman and tell me they are going to have another life. Believe me, I have good reason to weep over G-MONK.
Guess DAJB is the Jet 2 candidate - I hope at least she gets another chance
Monarch - I vow never to fly with you again:{

Artie Fufkin
4th Nov 2014, 07:03
If the new owners are keen to make the airline profitable, the last thing they'll be wasting any organisational manpower on is an indulgent, emotional send off for the 75s.

ATNotts
4th Nov 2014, 07:06
If the new owners are keen to make the airline profitable, the last thing they'll be wasting any organisational manpower on is an indulgent, emotional send off for the 75s.

Exactly! Investors are not charities. I think the days of enthusiast send offs for retiring fleets, certainly by Monarch, are long gone - as I fear will be stunts like retro colour schemes - though I have to say it would have been nice to see.

Big Tudor
4th Nov 2014, 07:14
I think the days of enthusiast send offs for retiring fleets

KLM offering 3 flights for the retirement of the MD11. All 3 were sold out within minutes of going on sale. Biman Bangladesh offered similar when they retired the DC10. There is a market (and cash) for these enthusiast flights if they are done properly.

Wycombe
4th Nov 2014, 08:43
...and how long ago was it that MON did the "farewell" flight for the A300?

Pretty recent wasn't it?

paully
4th Nov 2014, 09:25
Indeed it was...but before the `Family`pulled the plug..whole different ball game now with Monarch..It has to be

davidjohnson6
4th Nov 2014, 12:22
After Monarch, Biman and KLM respectively ran their last A300, DC10 and MD11 flights, those aircraft types were basically gone from Europe forever.
When Monarch get rid of their 757s, will there really be no more 757s in Europe ?

Mooncrest
4th Nov 2014, 12:35
No. Jet2, Thomas Cook, Thomson, Condor still fly them. DHL cargo as well ( I think).

chinapattern
4th Nov 2014, 15:08
No. Jet2, Thomas Cook, Thomson, Condor still fly them. DHL cargo as well ( I think).

You can add Aer Lingus, Air Baltic, FedEx, Icelandair, TACV and Titan to the list. Also if you classify Europe the way the Eurovision Song Contest does you can include Azerbaijan Airlines!

Flying.Penguin
4th Nov 2014, 15:13
Not to mention to the many 757s crossing the Atlantic every night headed to Europe with the likes of American, Delta, United and US.

harer92
4th Nov 2014, 16:50
New Greek routes for Summer 2015 - Preveza, Rhodes and Zante - (technically not new as they are ex MON, but new-ish as ZB routes none the less)

Preveza - MAN - 1xweekly (sunday) & BHX 1xweekly (sunday)
Rhodes - MAN 1xweekly (wednesday) & LGW 1xweekly (wednesday)
Zante - LGW 1xweekly (thursday) & LTN 2xweekly (thursday/sunday)

As well as increasing frequencies:

"And we aren't stopping there, we have also introduced more flights to Ibiza from Birmingham, Gatwick and Manchester and Larnaca from Gatwick.
Our new destinations and extra routes are on sale now for travel starting in April 2015."

http://www.monarch.co.uk/offers/flights/summer-fifteen

Chidken Sangwich
4th Nov 2014, 21:37
I'm amazed at the speed that the 757's have been dropped, however given what they were paying for them I'm not surprised. One positive I've heard from a VERY reliable source is that '3 into 1' does go, and one of the 757's will live on to 'fly another day'.

pc.
4th Nov 2014, 22:16
GDAJB Welcome and thanks very much for such an informative post :)

SCANDIC
4th Nov 2014, 22:25
:ok::ok: that's great news

SCANDIC
7th Nov 2014, 13:39
Disappointed not to of seen much of MONK at Man this year, is there any reason for this. :{

MKY661
7th Nov 2014, 13:43
Maybe they should stick one at the Viewing Park at MAN, as I do believe Monarch are currently the operator who has operated the 757 for the longest amount of time.

As well as increasing frequencies:

So where's all those destinations which are still under review?

harer92
7th Nov 2014, 13:53
Still under review till mid-end november apparently.

Nfield750
7th Nov 2014, 19:19
Dajb, thank you for such a wonderful post, I hope your girl lives to fly on.
As for some of the negative comments to my post, can you not at least show some respect to the aircraft for all their years of service? I have tried for the past week to get some info out of monarch as to what's going to happen to monj and monk and you know what? A couple of the people I spoke to didn't even know what a 757 is (or. Should. I say, was).
Ok, so they are old girls, guzzle fuel and were going to have to be wfu one day, but what is wrong is the way it's been done, they deserve better. the men in suits don't care, but do you really think they care about the staff either?

Nfield750
7th Nov 2014, 19:24
Scandic, she was working out of gatwick :). At least we had a great summer
It's going to be an empty sky without her

Mr @ Spotty M
7th Nov 2014, 20:09
Its looking like Icelandair are going to be taking them.

SCANDIC
7th Nov 2014, 20:15
It won't be the same again if they are chopped up but hopefully the other 2 will live to fly for another day, it has been done wrong, they should of had a proper send off like the 300's did. Great work horses that will never be forgotten about.

paully
7th Nov 2014, 20:59
Nfield 750

Sorry to rain on your parade but these 757`s are lumps of metal, not real..No different to a taxi, just bigger..When the metal comes to the buffers you scrap it...its called business and THAT is what keeps people in their jobs..:ugh:

OltonPete
7th Nov 2014, 23:42
Have Monarch had a change of plan with the A321's leaving? On this site it says that G-MARA & G-OZBL are now going, not G-OZBP & G-OZBS as originally said: Skyliner - aviation news & more (http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb.main?LC=nav4&page=3)

No change in plan, G-OZBP should be going later this month.
You cannot always take what Skyliner lists as 100% correct.

2 down one to go MONJ joins DAJB at BHX. :{

Please keep us posted as to how long they remain at Brum....ta..

I suppose it depends how long the maintenance check is for, I went on DAJB a few months back when parked up at MAN and it looks spotless inside considering it's nearly 28 years old, they've had plenty of TLC. :)

G-EOMA still going strong on LGW winter long haul to Banjul, Male and Goa. G-SMAN doing absolutely nothing at MAN. Is there any work this winter for MAN operated A330s?

DeltaMK

JB & NJ reported today still outside at BHX but A320 BK has left the fleet flying BHX to Halifax Monday and then onward to Mexico I believe.

I saw a post somewhere than NK was going to Manchester rather BHX?

MAEL have had a busy week with two Jet2 757's in today although one has now left.

A321 AJ has been operating Sharm and Hurghada so I assume converted or always enabled for long-range? A321 BG back in service at BHX after nearly six weeks out at Luton. Busy time.

ATNotts
8th Nov 2014, 09:12
paully

Sorry to rain on your parade but these 757`s are lumps of metal, not real..No different to a taxi, just bigger..When the metal comes to the buffers you scrap it...its called business and THAT is what keeps people in their jobs

Can't help but agree with your posting. Take this sort of sentimental stuff to it's logical conclusion and we'd all be flying on DC3s for our annual 2 weeks in the sun.

Time and technology (not to mention the desire to make money) waits for no man.

The Member
8th Nov 2014, 14:38
Monarch's first B757 arrived in March 1983.
Monarch's B720B aircraft were retired in March and April 1983.
I know this to be correct as I worked for them during this transitional period.

Brian Fantana
10th Nov 2014, 09:12
Samj.

MON stopped the Male route a while back.:{
LH routes this winter are Tobago, Goa & Banjul.
:ok:

dc9-32
10th Nov 2014, 09:56
I heard the 757's are going to Icelandair.

DeltaMK
11th Nov 2014, 18:23
DC9-32, that would be nice but I doubt it very much. The best that could be hoped for would surely be conversion to freighter, but obviously that depends on airframe life and flying hours - of which these 757's will have many.

ATNotts, DC3's turn up with regularity at air shows and are kept privately by many individuals. The same can't be said of 757's! I know NField750 and there is good reason for her posts so please try to be a little more understanding, sure business & money should equal jobs, but there needs to be a heart sometimes or we, like the aircraft you are writing off, become "mere machines"

BHX guys, please keep posting as to what's happening there. Thanks

SCANDIC
12th Nov 2014, 07:04
Hope it does come up to man would be really nice to see it one last time.

Sean Dillon
12th Nov 2014, 16:51
Someone should be on SCANDIC suicide watch!

SCANDIC
12th Nov 2014, 17:21
3 out of 3 upto BHX, I'll just be happy if they keep on flying and not chopped up, now that would be a waste.

Mr @ Spotty M
12th Nov 2014, 20:51
31 and half years of operating the B757, no one has operated them longer. :{
I am surprised this has not been picked by the aviation press. :=

MKY661
12th Nov 2014, 21:16
Same here! :)

take-off
13th Nov 2014, 17:39
Would have thought they might have used it as a PR excercise....

LBIA
13th Nov 2014, 18:04
Monarch Airlines last Boeing 757-200, G-MONK is currently on her way to Birmingham now positioning in from London Gatwick as MON757P. The End!

SCANDIC
13th Nov 2014, 18:19
Just dropped in this instant. :{

Sharklet_321
14th Nov 2014, 04:44
With the closure of the EMA base for Monarch from March 2015, where is the aircraft to be positioned?

MKY661
14th Nov 2014, 07:07
With the closure of the EMA base for Monarch from March 2015, where is the aircraft to be positioned?

They won't be as 3 A320's and 2 A321's are leaving the fleet :)

Sharklet_321
14th Nov 2014, 09:40
Thank you MKY661.

So Monarch is pretty much done with expansion until 2018 when the new 737MAX starts arriving?

MKY661
14th Nov 2014, 11:07
Not sure. They may start new ones and drop others in the future :)

renort
14th Nov 2014, 11:10
Thank you MKY661.

So Monarch is pretty much done with expansion until 2018 when the new 737MAX starts arriving?

Please read the previous few pages.

Expansion (from its Oct 2014 size) will never happen.

737 MAX may or may not be a pipe dream for M, time will tell.

ZeBedie
14th Nov 2014, 18:16
737 MAX may or may not be a pipe dream for M, time will tell.

What are you suggesting - that they take delivery and immediately sell them on the open market for a fat profit?

qwertyuiop
15th Nov 2014, 10:51
ZeBedie,
I think a lot of people were thinking that however having seen how much fuel the "newer aircraft" save added to the crippling EU compensation rules I feel a new fleet is critical. With the long lead times and lack of available aircraft, I see no other option than 73max.

111KAB
15th Nov 2014, 11:01
Given that the first Boeing deliveries are 3 to 4 years away and Swaffield has indicated a return to profit in 2 to 3 years you have to assume that unless Monarch return to a (decent) profit level prior to the first deliveries then it may not happen. Greybull are going to want their 'pound of flesh' and probably have less tolerance that the Swiss but given Greybull are effectively French controlled they will not stick around for ever and whilst they may have the ability to sell slots, MAEL, Cosmos etc any sales will diminish any profit.

So the next 2 to 4 years will be very telling in respect of the Monarch future and their ability to complete the order.

qwertyuiop
15th Nov 2014, 12:45
With the cost of fuel down 15% on the year, and further reductions predicted, the turn around maybe somewhat easier to achieve.
I know things are not quite so straightforward but if you reduce Monarch's 2013/4 fuel bill by 15% and shaft the workforce by another 15%, all of a sudden the situation looks very different.
Add in all the other changes and Grey bull really will be laughing.

nigel osborne
15th Nov 2014, 13:09
111KAB

Looking at what Grey Bull do ,it may well be that they fatten the profitable parts of MON up a bit then sell them off seperately to the highest bidders.

Cosmos, the airline and MAEL ,although the company have not indictated that.

Do we know whats happening at MAEL who I think have to loose over a 100 jobs..shut one of their hangars perhaps or is it still all being reviewed ?

You certainly have to feel for the employees at present :sad:

111KAB
15th Nov 2014, 13:13
Fuel savings may be on the horizon but it depends at what levels they (if at all) forward purchased at. Accept that reduction in staff and current salary level reductions may go some way to improving the bottom line however 261/2004 pay outs will probably be similar to Jet2 who estimate £21 million this year and £4 million per annum going forward .... then there is the possible Olympic Court settlement which Olympic are claiming £4.5 million plus costs.

In other words whatever positives there are in terms of costs reductions are more than likely to be at least matched by the downsides.

rog747
15th Nov 2014, 15:51
very sad that Monarch's 757's bow out with no fanfare

Monarch were the first european 757 airline order with delivery in 1983 along with Air Europe and BA examples.
seating was comfortable at 223 pax with decent seats, no one moaned until
235 was squeezed in later!
i was a duty officer for monarch at LGW

the first 3 MON a/c had RR 211 535C engines (same as BA and early AE) and all were refitted in 1985 with E4 engines enabling ETOPS to be considered and eventually adopted for long haul flights.
i flew to MCO via BGR and MLE via BAH several times

Monarch had 31 incident free years with the 757 workhorse and i loved jumpseating on them as the cockpit and windows were nice and big - on staff travel you could always get on as they had spare jump seats

what a shame no one organised an enthusiasts flight - too late now as the a/c are de-mobbed in a hurry it seems!
do not let this happen with Thomson 757's or their 767 please!

so why not organise a Monarch A330 flight?
not quite vintage yet but the end of an era - the big Monarch jets and long haul,
a day trip to Palma or Venice would be nice - who's up for that?

the cruise lines used to use the A330's alot for cruise ship charters from caribbean so who will do this now?

Facelookbovvered
15th Nov 2014, 16:50
Interesting what effect the EU ruling on delayed flight compensation will have on individual airlines. I have long argued that older aircraft are more delay prone and a trend unlike the 787 that will get worse with time. I would guess Jet2 have previously factored in higher maintenance costs offset by lower capital cost as part of their cost equation? this changes the dynamic of the maths in favour of airlines operating newer equipment which is positive for the industry and passenger alike.

rog747
15th Nov 2014, 16:55
whats happened to mon's 787 orders then - edit cancelled 2011 :hmm:

Shed-on-a-Pole
15th Nov 2014, 17:00
Rather than waiting for an enthusiasts' charter which may never happen, why not search for regular flight-only deals featuring those aircraft which interest you before they are withdrawn? I recently bought a MAN-PMI seat for around GBP50 on a MON A332 rotation for exactly that reason. G-SMAN did the honours on the day. I flew back aboard a CFG B753 also at a very reasonable price. Nice Mallorca short break included. The [Summer] PMI programme has now finished, but the A332 may yet feature on seasonal ski runs to the likes of GVA or Winter Sun Canaries flights … maybe worth checking out?

Monarch Airlines are constantly advertising seat-sales and deals. Sign up for their marketing e.mails. If you can fly on an off-peak day it is easily possible to match or beat the price of recent farewell charters. For example, the recent A306 farewell charter LGW-BHX represented not just a fare for me, but also link travel costs from MAN to LGW/BHX and a hotel night. Far better value to just target a regular flight at an off-peak fare and enjoy a little break away as well.

Think about other 'endangered' aircraft which interest you, and actively link them in with travel arrangements and short breaks which you will enjoy anyway. I always consider the airline / aircraft types available as an integral part of the planning process when booking travel. Do this routinely and you will rarely have to lament missing out on an old favourite. And you can amass quite a varied selection of types and carriers to look back upon representing breaks you would have taken anyway.

Enjoy your trip(s)!

crewmeal
15th Nov 2014, 22:15
Good point Shed but my view is if Bangladesh Biman can organise a long weekend of enthusiast flights on a DC-10, it's a shame that MON couldn't organise one flight on similar lines to the A306 from LGW to BHX. Look at the world wide publicity BG got from that DC-10 flight with enthusiasts from all over the world travelling. OK so the 757 isn't quite extinct just yet especially as US carriers showing no sign of retiring their fleets, but a MON 75 is part of UK aviation history and it's not as though any of the fleet are going to a museum.

I suppose in time you might even get a part of a recycled 757 in the form of a new iPad:ok:

Say again s l o w l y
15th Nov 2014, 23:04
I'm going to be blunt, whilst most of us will miss the 75's, given what has been happening recently, then putting on a spotter flight is hardly top of the priority list.

757's are wonderful aircraft, but hardly rare.

davidjohnson6
16th Nov 2014, 11:21
For those who wish to discuss aircraft types disappearing from European skies, I've starteda thread in the Spectators Balcony. The aim of the new thread is to list which passenger airlines in Europe fly which rare types at modest ticket prices,. Those keen to bag a particular type will hopefully have ample opportunity to do so before they're gone, without having to rely on Monarch or other carriers running enthusiasts' specials.

http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/551329-european-airlines-flying-rare-aircraft-types.html

rog747
16th Nov 2014, 11:43
it doesn't have to be the onus on the airline to organise a special flight -

anyone can approach and arrange a private charter - ie: that's what Ian Allan do and others also

if someone can be bothered to drum up the impetus (like the successful Biman and KLM MD11 recent last flights) then dont see why Monarch is excluded

too late for the MON 757 - and yes it was a historical aircraft for british aviation but the A330 of theirs is an icon too
last big jet and last long haul services for the airline which commenced using big jets with the 720B looong ago

its up to someone and just do it and start it rolling

spacegrand
16th Nov 2014, 16:27
I think had an enthusiast group chartered the aeorplane then Monarch would have been very well disposed to doing something suitable and it is a shame that wasn't initiated. I don't believe it would have been realistic for the management to have put it forward as they have been working unbelievably hard since the end of the summer with the change of ownership of the group. It has been very heartening to read the kind comments posted on Monarch and particularly the 757 in recent months.
Thank you.

To follow on from JB'S post you will probably know that JB is currently in the BHX hanger undergoing an end of lease check. NJ did its last charter flight on 5th November to KRK and back to MAN, posn to BHX on 8th November awaiting hanger input and NK did its last revenue flight on 12th November KRK-LGW and then posn on the 13th LGW-BHX awaiting its hanger input.

I was very lucky to command NJ's last schedule into MAN on 2nd November getting on to stand after the other 2 a/c (LGW and BHX respectively) that day. The last charter flt for NK and the very last Monarch 757 flt in NK. I've been continuously current on the 757 for nearly 29 years which I believe is a record for the type.

A magnificent a/c that served Monarch well and will continue to do so for those airlines which still operate them.

So the end of an era for Monarch but not for the 757.

TSR2
16th Nov 2014, 16:33
I've been continuously current on the 757 for nearly 29 years which I believe is a record for the type.

That's one hell of an achievement spacegrand. Well done and thank you.

111KAB
17th Nov 2014, 06:43
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fea0519a-68f8-11e4-9eeb-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3JJDQwdpk but just in case you do not subscribe to the FT .......

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2014/11/17/51160/monarch-faces-a-tough-challenge-says-mantegazza.html

rog747
17th Nov 2014, 10:03
wonderful story spacegrand

are you retiring or another type now ?

daveh767
17th Nov 2014, 16:14
Spacegrand............

It didn't take me too long to work out who you are, my alias isn't too difficult either!!!

Congrats, you will be missed in the Greybull era....hope you can make it this saturday....it should be good :ok::ok:

DeltaMK
17th Nov 2014, 18:26
So pleased to learn that "baby bird" DID get her water cannon tribute at LGW last week, it was the least she deserved, I just wonder if the passengers were aware of how lucky they were, despite best efforts couldn't contact the travel agent who chartered her (and MONJ the week before) to get on.
Bad news is that they are both being flown back to the U.S. to await their fate and it's unlikely to be a nice one.
Anyone who was on that last flight back into LGW, it would be great to hear your account of what happened. And Spacegrand, big respect to you for 29 years, what a fantastic way to spend your working life, hope things work out for you.

sparkie320
19th Nov 2014, 07:29
Noticed that East Midlands has now gone down to 2 A320 based ,these being G-OZBW & G-ZBAP

A330 flew to PGF on the 3rd and not returned, is this for some winter TLC maintance, what checks can Monarch carry out on the A330s

Noticed on average only 10 aircraft afre flying most days, with a huge amount of the fleet in active , how is this affecting the airline and making money to survie
G-OZBF one flight since the 3rd, are any undergoing maintance
seems lot of downtime

compton3bravo
19th Nov 2014, 08:53
I suppose it has come to your attention that we are in the middle of November and from the begging of that month to the middle of December it is the quietest time for airlines, hotels, etc. Monarch have always reduced their flying programme in the winter months albeit because there is not so much business but come the start of the ski season and Christmas and New Year it will pick up. You only have to look at the arrivals/departure boards for airports at the moment to see the drop off in traffic. As Tom Jones said 'It is not unusual'.

learjet50
19th Nov 2014, 17:07
I'm curious to discover your identity

Are you the MUFC fan that did a season flying on loan to. Air tours flying there

Just curious as the above Gentleman allowed me Flight Deck access on route. MCO to MAN. Many year ago

spacegrand
19th Nov 2014, 20:02
No Lear not me. When I see him next I shall direct him to your post.

To reply to another question. Monarch did offer me a 320 course they also offered VR which I have taken. So retirement it is . Incidentally there was no CR for pilots.

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts.

Mr @ Spotty M
19th Nov 2014, 20:47
I believe it is unlimited for checks and yes the A330s are undergoing maintenance in PGF, SMAN is due to finish any day now, before EOMA goes in for three to four weeks.
No space at our own hangars to accommodate the work.

Ian Brooks
19th Nov 2014, 23:12
Spacegrand are your initials AB ? sorry it sounds like the spanish
inquisition
pm if you like

Monde
20th Nov 2014, 00:37
no its not ANWB, but you may be familiar with a very similar surname...

aw ditor
20th Nov 2014, 08:44
Was spacegrand at Spacegrand?

spacegrand
20th Nov 2014, 11:08
No, but there was a connection.

dada
20th Nov 2014, 11:33
Now i'm curious because in 1985/6 i worked in their ops at blk

ZeBedie
20th Nov 2014, 18:34
In that case, who's Bealzebub?

hapzim
21st Nov 2014, 10:17
would have to eat you if I told you ZeBedie :E

Chidken Sangwich
21st Nov 2014, 10:54
Unsolicited emails going round the industry yesterday offering both Monarch LTN hangars for sale to any interested party, suggesting possible new use as a FBO facility...

Aeromaniac
21st Nov 2014, 12:45
How do you know?
Got any proof? Copy?
Who were they sent to? From?
What were the answers??
:confused:

nigel osborne
21st Nov 2014, 22:04
Mr Spotty,

Yes BHX MAEL is rammed and 4 or 5 waiting also on the aprons to go in too.

Bit crazy really its rammed in the winter and very quiet in the summer, thank god for Fly Bes.

MAEL or whoever they become in the future could do with some foreign airline work in the summers, bitter loss, loosing Fly Dubai contract for example.

ATNotts
22nd Nov 2014, 07:35
MAEL or whoever they become in the future could do with some foreign airline work in the summers, bitter loss, loosing Fly Dubai contract for example.

Two things; first, why should MAEL become anything else than MAEL in the future? Second, aircraft maintenance is a competitive business so it is perfectly logical, nae normal, that contracts move around. One day you might lose airline "A" as a customer, and the next you might gain airline "B".

Absolutely normal in private industry.

Ian Brooks
22nd Nov 2014, 08:28
MAEL will be busy in winter as aircraft worked hard during summer and need a little TLC also aircraft coming off lease or up for sale coming in for
final checks before leaving fleet.
TCX and MAEL at manchester are the same.

learjet50
22nd Nov 2014, 15:04
I would imaging rumour started by someone has no idea what they are taking about

Suspect they are bored so let's. Make up some rumours

Regretfully by have nothing else.

nigel osborne
22nd Nov 2014, 20:02
" why should MAEL become anything else than MAEL in the future? "

Greybull Capital.

Very successful company specializing in buying and turning around companies..

They don't do it because they like the companies they fatten them up and sell the best bits off.

They bought and turned around Comet Electrical after stripping the unprofitable parts away.

So at Monarch they have the airline, a travel company and a Maintenance company.. so potentially have 3 areas they could sell.

MAEL is pretty successful and profitable , so there may be buyers out their that will be interested in them , if that happens Greybull may be tempted to sell and create a a new name above the hangar door.

Lets hope they don't and keep them all together under the Monarch name.

gilesdavies
22nd Nov 2014, 21:25
Just curious with the new Hangars at Brum and the Luton hangars been pretty ancient and limited in size to what they can handle - is there much going on in these hangars these days or has Birmingham stolen their thunder?

You always use to see aircraft on the apron waiting to go in, but these days it is either empty or the airport uses the parking outside the hangars as remote stands, when busy for the usual turnarounds.

I might be mistaken, and they are busy overnight swapping the aircraft in and out, but the last 4-5 times in recent months I have been at the airport, there is little activity.

ATNotts
23rd Nov 2014, 08:36
Just curious with the new Hangars at Brum and the Luton hangars been pretty ancient and limited in size to what they can handle - is there much going on in these hangars these days or has Birmingham stolen their thunder?

Looking at it from a hard nosed financial point of view, why would a slimmed down Monarch (the airline) need three maintenance facilities, one of which, at least from an infrastructure point of view, is hardly state of the art.

I am guessing that the financial value of the Luton facility (especially if Monarch owns it), combined with the lower (employment) costs in the Midlands and Northwest would make selling off, or releasing the Luton facility and concentrating all MAEL operations at BHX / MAN a positive move for the new regime. Perhaps Luton Airport management would quite like the Monarch real estate for other purposes and might make the airline an attractive offer?

Only time will tell, but Greybull will be looking to fatten up the group for resale in 5 or so years time. That's their business, and that's surely their goal.

Mr @ Spotty M
23rd Nov 2014, 12:02
I would like to make a few comments.
Greybull have a number of companies that they have been an investor in for over 10 years.
Stop bringing up Comet, they had no control over what happened, it is a little like blaming individual share holders, in for say BT, for the way BT operate.
With regards the hangars at Luton, yes you are correct in that Monarch Airlines don't need them, but it is not Monarch Airlines that matter. The MAEL hangers are all part of the Monarch Group, which the airline is only a part of.
By the way both Luton hangars were full up-until Friday, when the TOM B757 left.

True Blue
23rd Nov 2014, 15:28
On the Monarch site, when doing a search for flights to Bodrum from any London airport for S2015 no availability shows. However, it does say the flight does not operate the date searched, but the next date the flight operates is, that date being maybe a day or two later. Is it possible that they will operate these routes after all.

Chidken Sangwich
24th Nov 2014, 17:56
How do you know?
Got any proof? Copy?
Who were they sent to? From?
What were the answers??

Aeromaniac - I don't post 'fiction' on here and the justification does get tedious to people that don't believe what is written.

I know because my wife (who works in the industry) saw a copy of the email - I have no reason to doubt her.

Proof - I don't need any proof (see above).

Copy - I'm not prepared to ask her for one as I'm not prepared to expose who it was sent to (it was BCC'd), or who it was from as its not for me to expose their business.

What were the answers - I don't think their would have been any as it was a request for expressions of interest.

Learjet 50 - no, rumour - see above. Oh and I didn't say anything about a sale of MAEL.

ZeBedie
24th Nov 2014, 19:56
I believed you.

Monde
24th Nov 2014, 21:13
So did i . Ignore the Sangwich at your peril!

Fuel Crossfeed
24th Nov 2014, 21:24
spacegrand.

If you are who I think you are, it was a pleasure to fly with you.
Always good to see your name on the sign in sheet!!

All the best for your retirement.

fairflyer
25th Nov 2014, 07:57
Should imagine any of the business aviation FBOs would be delighted to take over the Monarch hangars at Luton. The likes of Signature, Landmark and Harrods could fill them tomorrow with both passing traffic and residential aircraft. More money per square foot than you make from MX activities for mere storage. But shouldn't be limited to the incumbents, chances are several other business aviation outfits will also be biting at the bit like JetEx for instance, plenty of people wanting a foothold in the London area and Luton's the golden nugget with some 28,000 business aviation movements per annum. Think Landmark already use space in the Monarch hangar anyway?

Gulfstream, next door could also uses the space.

ATNotts
25th Nov 2014, 08:36
fairflyer

This was the point I was trying to make in my posting #2588 above, in that it may make financial and business sense both for Luton Airport and Monarch Group for the MAEL facility at Luton to be closed and the work concentrated at MAEL in BHX and MAN.

Whether that happens is of course pure conjecture.

renort
25th Nov 2014, 08:48
Just because someone posts something uncomfortable for you personally,doesn’t make it untrue.

I have no idea if the hangars are up for sale, but I’d suggest you don’t dismiss it.

Rileys snooker hall chain has to shut quarter of sports bars | Business | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/sep/15/rileys-snooker-hall-shuts-quarter-sports-bars)

pabely
25th Nov 2014, 16:15
fairflyer, landmark use one already but MAEL have another two.

T6NL
26th Nov 2014, 06:31
I hear that G-DAJB is planned to position from BHX to Kemble at lunchtime today.

SCANDIC
26th Nov 2014, 08:10
I hope not because that means the chop.:{

111KAB
26th Nov 2014, 08:57
Pension cap to rein in 'fat cats' now hitting middle-earners, warns pilots' union - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/11254203/Pension-cap-to-rein-in-fat-cats-now-hitting-middle-earners-warns-pilots-union.html)

IB4138
26th Nov 2014, 10:01
G-DAJB due Kemble 12.30 today as MON757D.

SCANDIC
26th Nov 2014, 12:43
Has it got into Kemble yet does anyone know

yeo valley
26th Nov 2014, 12:51
there is not many aircrafts that fly into kemble fly out again. there is a fairly large aircrafts parting out firm based there.
its a great pity that aircrafts end up like this, but if there was no parting out,then every where would be over run with old aircrafts
one good thing comes out of it and thats a lot of the bits are used on other aircrafts.

Buster the Bear
26th Nov 2014, 19:46
Ex Alitalia Airbus diverted to Ireland, so I guess DAJB has yet to make it's last flight?

Mr @ Spotty M
26th Nov 2014, 20:09
The flight to Kemble was put back earlier this morning until tomorrow, due to the weather forecast.
I believe NK will be joining it early next month.

SCANDIC
26th Nov 2014, 20:45
What's happening with NJ

munster
26th Nov 2014, 21:05
It isn't going to Kemble this week.

JB007
26th Nov 2014, 21:57
Not going to Jet2 eh SCANDIC!?!

OltonPete
26th Nov 2014, 22:37
Moving away from all things 757's is the summer 2015 schedule still under review?

The Monarch booking engine and timetable over the last two weeks has been....very un-Monarch like. Flights departing and not coming back band the timetable not matching the booking engine, although that seems now have to been resolved.

Anyway August looking like Manchester and BHX 8 based, Luton 4, Leeds 2 & Gatwick 10. Total 32.

Is this about right as the two new A321's would have made 34 or is there more changes with still more flights to be announced and will there be a spare next summer?

I have flown Monarch the last three years, the latest last August on an IT flight with less than a 100 on board and you can see from the tight schedule now on sale things have changed even if choice has diminished.

Mr @ Spotty M
27th Nov 2014, 04:31
Aircraft numbers 33 & 34 will be spare aircraft. :ok:

MANFOD
27th Nov 2014, 07:47
Anyway August looking like Manchester and BHX 8 based, Luton 4, Leeds 2 & Gatwick 10. Total 32.

How does that compare with S2014? EMA have lost 2 and MAN probably 3. If it's 32 v 42, where are the other 5 lost? Or were there a couple of spares in 2014? If MAN was regarded as the largest base, it looks as if LGW have lost none.

Shed-on-a-Pole
27th Nov 2014, 10:39
MAN has fared particularly badly because the S14 based fleet included an A332 (capacity equivalent to 2 x A320) and a B752 which was also larger than both remaining Airbus types. I hope that the remaining MAN fleet will be predominantly A321's with an intensive high-utilisation programme. Will MAN be home to one of the two spares, ie. a ninth based aircraft?

Mr @ Spotty M
27th Nov 2014, 20:35
My guess is that the two spares will be based at BHX, like the one spare was this summer.
B757 JB has flown its last flight, landed in Kemble this afternoon.
I am also hearing it might be NJ next for Kemble and NK becomes the operational a/c for Icelandair.

OltonPete
27th Nov 2014, 21:13
Mr @ Spotty M

Thank you for the information, sounds as if that is it then other than for a bit of tidying up and maybe some high-season night flights.

I am a bit surprised at two spare for leased aircraft but fantastic for back-up purposes although I suppose there is still time to fly one of them high-season. There are definitely days where BHX and MAN show 9 aircraft although easier to cut or re-time a couple of flights than add 12. It might be Preveza after all.

MANFOD - Summer 14 was (2015 in brackets): -

LGW 12 (10)
MAN 11 (8)
BHX 9 (8)
LTN 5 (4)
EMA 2 (0)
LBA 2 (2)
Spare 1 (2)
Total 42 (34)

Confirmed JB airborne BHX around 12.29 as MON757D.

MKY661
27th Nov 2014, 22:13
I am a bit surprised at two spare for leased aircraft but fantastic for back-up purposes although I suppose there is still time to fly one of them high-season. There are definitely days where BHX and MAN show 9 aircraft although easier to cut or re-time a couple of flights than add 12. It might be Preveza after all.

Some flights from Su14 are still under review :)

MANFOD
27th Nov 2014, 22:18
OltonPete, thanks for the s14 breakdown.

Not only is MAN the biggest loser in terms of based a/c but, as Shed points out, it's an even bigger reduction in terms of capacity with the loss of the A330, unless there is very tight scheduling and a higher proportion of short haul routes.
I guess the number of weekly departures in high season would be an indicator of that.

Ian Brooks
27th Nov 2014, 22:53
Remember MAN probably had a higher number of charter than everyone etc LGW so stood to lose more

Curious Pax
28th Nov 2014, 09:13
NK becomes the operational a/c for Icelandair.

La Compagnie are reported to be starting a London-US service, so are getting a second wet leased 757 from Icelandair. Putting 2 and 2 together....

gilesdavies
29th Nov 2014, 20:34
MANFOD - Summer 14 was (2015 in brackets): -

LGW 12 (10)
MAN 11 (8)
BHX 9 (8)
LTN 5 (4)
EMA 2 (0)
LBA 2 (2)
Spare 1 (2)
Total 42 (34)

In the Luton forum, people are saying that Monarch still require five aircraft on some days and on others only three, so I am guessing one of the "spares" might be a floater and possibly operate "W" flights, or an aircraft or two each night might need repositioning.

I think Luton has come off the least scaved of the original four bases, as they only had four aircraft based there in 2013 and was only ramped up to five this summer just gone.

SCANDIC
1st Dec 2014, 09:07
Any news on when MONJ will leave BHX for storage, take it it's being scrapped like DAJB, anybody know what's happening with MONK. Where will the 330's go next April/ may

SCANDIC
8th Dec 2014, 17:49
Why's it so quiet on here

OltonPete
8th Dec 2014, 18:34
Oh go on then SCANDIC here is something.

G-OZBP A321 has left fleet flying BHX - EMA for painting into Aegean.... as ever credit to Jethro.

Title should show summer 15

The IT dept seems to have been cut or sacked and replaced by the mob who used to do the Ryanair timetable before their recent upgrade :eek:.

All BHX flights in the timetable show departing and arriving at 00.00 (BHX do have night flying restrictions :))

Also the point I mentioned on the 26 November has still not been rectified where the booking engine shows ZB957 from Palma arrives every Sunday morning (August) at 04.40 but never departs and I assume an aircraft doesn't position over to Palma every week :confused: It isn't the cross over of the days either as the Friday night Palma actually comes back at the displayed time in the early hours of Saturday. You can actually book ZB957 inbound but there isn't a ZB956 on a Saturday night in August.

The booking engine also shows numerous routes that are not operating, which is fine for aviation nuts like me but might confuse Joe Public. It even has Kefalonia, which Monarch has never operated from BHX although Small Planet might be in 2015 for Cosmos, yet the flight only isn't bookable on Monarch (Corfu and Rhodes used to open up in Avro but not this one).

It is has been like this for weeks and just wondered if they are going to change it?

I suppose the most likely answer is.....they have bigger and better things to do but as potential the first contact the booking engine should display correctly although I realise the timetable is probably a luxury.

I am looking at summer hols for 2015 but I think I will give it a miss at the moment.

SCANDIC
8th Dec 2014, 20:01
Yay somebody is out there

MKY661
8th Dec 2014, 21:05
G-OZBP A321 has left fleet flying BHX - EMA for painting into Aegean.... as ever credit to Jethro.

And to add to that G-OZBS will be WFU on 22nd December. No Idea when the new A320's leave. Speaking of which would have it not been better for G-ZBAR which is on Lease to Air Malta go along with G-MRJK instead, or am I missing something? Surely it could cause more cutbacks if it was to leave next year.

SCANDIC
8th Dec 2014, 22:00
Will MONK get the chance to fly for someone else.

dc9-32
9th Dec 2014, 10:07
MSN 5526 and 5581 are leaving the fleet February and April respectively.

Dazthelad
11th Dec 2014, 09:17
I've heard that the A330's are both in maintenence just before Xmas & that this is overrunning - any trueth in this - seems a crazy time to take aircraft out of circulation at the busiest time of the winter. Anyone know what flights are affected - or were the aircraft sitting on the ground doing nothing ?

Mr @ Spotty M
11th Dec 2014, 20:17
Only one still in maintenance and the maintenance started the 3rd of November, at one of the slackest times of the low season.
Should have known the French would not complete on time or even close to being on time.:{

VickersVicount
11th Dec 2014, 21:17
When was this the busiest time of the season for longhaul widebody high capacity leisure aircraft ? Im guessing theyre barely filling narrowbody A32X never mind an A330, Christmas or not. :confused:

Dazthelad
12th Dec 2014, 10:09
Do you know what flying is on the A330 over the Christmas New Year period

T250
12th Dec 2014, 11:14
Not a lot with Monarch! :}

easydan319
12th Dec 2014, 13:00
I see that MON4514/5 to Banjul today and the past couple of Fridays has operated with an A321 via Faro on the O/B and Tenerife on the I/B. Goes back to an A330 next week according to The Gambia Experience.

partyboy_uk
12th Dec 2014, 19:47
do you know what flying is on the a330 over the christmas new year period

23 Dec
LGW/TAB/LGW

24 Dec
n/a

25 Dec
n/a

26 Dec
LGW/TAB/LGW
LGW/BJL/LGW

27 Ddec
LGW/GNB/LGW
LGW/GVA/LGW

LGW/GNB/LGW
LGW/GOI

28 Dec
LGW/GVA/LGW
GOI/LGW

29 Dec
LGW/MAN (P)

30 Dec
LGW/TAB/LGW
MAN/TFS/MAN
MAN/LGW (P)

31 Dec
n/a

1 Jan
n/a

2 Jan
LGW/TAB/LGW
LGW/BJL/LGW

evergreenlondon
13th Dec 2014, 14:17
I have noticed Monarch are not operating Luton - Rome flights for a four week period in January/early February 2015, was this always planned to happen or is this a new development?

SCANDIC
21st Dec 2014, 13:33
Any news on the two remaining monarch 757's

bhx bod
21st Dec 2014, 14:01
Both 757s are still outside MAEL @BHX.

SCANDIC
21st Dec 2014, 14:09
Are they devoid of titles yet

bhx bod
21st Dec 2014, 15:45
SCANDIC.

Sorry can't answer that question.I work nights terminal side,and rarely see the airport during the daytime.
I know they are still in basic MON livery,but as for titles I don't know.

SCANDIC
21st Dec 2014, 16:00
Okey dokey cheers mate

AMM626
21st Dec 2014, 16:11
G-MONJ has had the titles removed, G-MONK still wears them. Both were parked outside MAEL this afternoon.

Click the link below to a Flickr photo and you can see them in the background.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deltamansaircraftphotos/15872591857/in/photostream/

Diverskii
28th Dec 2014, 16:03
Was at BHX yesterday night and it seemed MONJ and MONK are still parked up so take it no new owners yet?

Also, G-OZBP has been parked up on stand for about 2 weeks in Agean colours, anyone know the reason for the hold up with delivery? (Is it just waiting for someone to cross the t's and dot the i's on the contract?)

sparkie320
29th Dec 2014, 18:48
A321 G-OZBS made last fligth 22nd ACE-BHX now withdrawn assumed at BHX still, any idea of new owners
what's next G-ZBAA Feb 2015 i belive
any one know the reg's of the two New A321s due soon
A330 G-EOMA still in PGF running long over on the maintance, how come ?
can any one confirm is G-OZBN having maintance as not flown during December

SCANDIC
29th Dec 2014, 19:28
Any more info on MONJ- MONK

Mr @ Spotty M
29th Dec 2014, 20:24
All Airbus a/c leaving are still owned by there current owners, i.e. none owned by Monarch.
There owners will be leasing them out to other operators, ZBS also going to Aegean Airlines l believe and BAA is going to Frontier so l hear.
The French should finally finish EOMA today and it was due into LGW tonight.
No change with the B757, still going to Icelandair when all the end of lease maintenance has finished, MONK going to be the flyer and MONJ to Kemble.

partyboy_uk
29th Dec 2014, 20:47
G-EOMA currently on it's way to MAN to operate the MON9018 to TFS tomorrow morning for Fred Olson cruise passengers.

SCANDIC
30th Dec 2014, 09:12
Will MONK be winglets or just normal and how long are icelandair flying it for

alasdair1
1st Jan 2015, 09:58
Does anyone know were the monach A330's will be going after they are wfu in apr/march time?

Diverskii
3rd Jan 2015, 23:42
I notice the BJL and SID routes have been using A321s recently. That's pushing 2800nm, manageable for a A321 but surely not great for passengers (6+ hours).

Does this flight ever have issue with wind? TOM 737s to BVC sometimes can't do it if it's blowing a gale.

easyflyer83
4th Jan 2015, 00:42
The comfort of a MON 332 and a MON 321 are comparable

Mr @ Spotty M
4th Jan 2015, 08:28
They have had refuel stops on the way to BJL, l believe FAO was used.
A330s are now back on the route.

Cloud1
4th Jan 2015, 10:20
TCX use A321s down to BJL and Gambiabird the A319

Chidken Sangwich
5th Jan 2015, 20:54
Gambia Bird - not anymore they don't, they went pop on the 31st Dec.

MKY661
8th Jan 2015, 15:56
Monarch dropping AYT, BJV, DBV, LPA, LCA & PFO from MAN and SPU from BHX this summer. Confirmed via Twitter. Not sure if any other routes are still under review.

Mr Angry from Purley
8th Jan 2015, 17:02
Previous Company tried to operate LGW-BJL-LGW Y180 A320. Went to Accra (i think) on way down on first flight and AGP on way back. End result was lower load direct and always via AGP on way back, new crew etc.
Biggest problem apart from above was toilets full about 4hrs down. A320 not built for that sort of leg
:\

rog747
8th Jan 2015, 17:14
wheres SUP?

ericlday
8th Jan 2015, 17:23
Who mentioned SUP, SPU was however !

rog747
8th Jan 2015, 17:30
yeah SUP was mentioned above
is somewhere in Indonesia lol

SPU is split - makes sense ta!

SCANDIC
9th Jan 2015, 14:03
Anyone know who is taking the two big buses in April, May

MKY661
9th Jan 2015, 14:07
yeah SUP was mentioned above
is somewhere in Indonesia lol

SPU is split - makes sense ta!

If you get notifications via Email, I made a typo and put SUP instead of SPU. Apologies for Inconvenience.

Anyone know who is taking the two big buses in April, May

Not sure yet. As soon as I know I'll let you know :)

nigel osborne
9th Jan 2015, 20:13
Not sure what the initial plan was ,but the 2 MON 757s are still at BHX.

One was refuelled yesterday, but seems only to keep systems running.

The ex MON 321 in Aegean colours also still at BHX.

SCANDIC
10th Jan 2015, 04:44
Interesting, MONJ must be due to go soon, I'm very interested to know why Icelandair want MONK when their fleet is so much younger.

EK77WNCL
10th Jan 2015, 12:33
I'm wondering (outside chance) if it could possibly be the aircraft which is going to be leased by them to Atlantic Star Airlines around Q4 2015/Q1 2016. Technically the aircraft is being leased by Loftleiðir Icelandic but I don't know how the operation works anymore, I think it's all under Icelandair, hence them purchasing it. It could make sense as it is an ETOPS aircraft, AFAIK, Icelandair has pretty high fleet utilisation so the couldn't use one of their own, and perhaps until they lease it to ASA they won't make any changes to the interior which may make things easier. Pure speculation but I don't know.

SCANDIC
10th Jan 2015, 21:08
I suppose we'll soon find out

111KAB
10th Jan 2015, 22:10
The fight to reverse Monarch's tailspin - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/11337900/The-fight-to-reverse-Monarchs-tailspin.html)

LBIA
13th Jan 2015, 15:25
Airbus A320, G-ZBAA was positioned from LBA to BHX yesterday for its end of lease check.

dc9-32
13th Jan 2015, 20:02
G-ZBAA will become N228FR.

EK77WNCL
13th Jan 2015, 23:06
St Helena's runway specs have recently been changed so that the 757 can fly in and out (hence ASA have the 757 lined up from Icelandair). On a 7 hour flight the 757 is probably more capable than an A319 or 737 700

rog747
14th Jan 2015, 06:34
St Helena is a blooming long way for a 757 from the UK but certainly the best aircraft for the mission

a tech stop is needed somewhere (las palmas?) and ascension cannot be used atm as an alternate - could that change ?

fa2fi
14th Jan 2015, 07:21
The flights plan on stopping in Madrid or somewhere on the African mainland apparently.

111KAB
14th Jan 2015, 10:12
Monarch Blog | Meet the Captain: Nick Underwood, Boeing Fleet Manager (http://blog.monarch.co.uk/meet-the-captain-nick-underwood-boeing-fleet-manager/)

RHINO
14th Jan 2015, 10:59
Brings a tear to my eye.....it is all history, including nearly everybody in the article/pictures...

spacegrand
14th Jan 2015, 14:07
Sure dose ! I couldn't have asked for a better time. Thanks to everyone that made it so special. Good luck to all.

SCANDIC
14th Jan 2015, 14:28
When is MONJ due to leave BHX and also when is MONK due to go to Icelandair:(

rog747
14th Jan 2015, 15:36
What was special about B757 aircraft compared to others?

The B757 is a pilot’s dream. Lots of excess power and lots of wheels to help it stop on the ground. The performance capability of the airplane is second to none and even to this day there is no commercial aircraft like it or that can match it’s versatility.
The ability to successfully carry out a whole host of varied missions makes the aircraft extremely sellable from a commercial point of view. The range and performance capabilities means that it was very rare that the aircraft had to make ‘tech/re-fuel’ stops which were unplanned. The technology on board, although quite dated compared to some more modern aircraft, still does the job extremely well and has just the right balance of automation, but still relies heavily on a pure pilot input to fly the aircraft.

capt underwood MON

crewmeal
14th Jan 2015, 15:48
According to sources G-MONJ is off to Kemble tomorrow (Thursday). Sad day!

SCANDIC
14th Jan 2015, 17:17
A very sad day indeed, what a waste of very well looked after aircraft.:{

SCANDIC
16th Jan 2015, 05:51
Any idea why MONJ Aborted take off was it weather or technical problem.

RHINO
16th Jan 2015, 08:31
Maybe it didn't want to go...

SCANDIC
16th Jan 2015, 09:20
Good, keep it for a couple more years, even though they are knocking on in age and they do guzzle a bit more fuel than others, I think their mad getting rid of them.

ATNotts
16th Jan 2015, 10:03
SCANDIC

Good, keep it for a couple more years, even though they are knocking on in age and they do guzzle a bit more fuel than others, I think their mad getting rid of them.

I don't doubt your love-affair with with the 757 (especially ones with the "spotty M" logo), but, like everything else in life it has surrendered to progress. Have you still got a 10 year old mobile phone? I doubt it - there can't be many dinosaurs like me left (mine has just given up after 14 years service!!!).

At the time the decision to get rid (of the 757s) was made oil cost more than double what it does today, and the 757 guzzles more of it than modern aircraft. For Monarch to survive it had to go - Thomson and Thomas Cook have made the same decision.

I think it's time to "get over it" and move on. There's help from specialists out there if the wrench proves too strong :rolleyes:

ATNotts
16th Jan 2015, 10:27
What, with the sudden strength of the Swiss Franc, even the Dignitas solution has become unaffordable! Sitting on a bench on Beachy Head is really cold this time of year!

Brilliant!!!

AMM626
16th Jan 2015, 12:47
G-MONJ departed to Kemble about 10 mins ago as MON757P :(

Facelookbovvered
19th Jan 2015, 11:20
Just had a look at the Skytrax feed back on Monarch following the change of ownership, seats and cabin crew re-progamming on customer attitude.

A mixed bag, a Sharm flight with tech stop for fuel in Venice and crew going out of hours didn't play well and the new seats get a lot of complaints about lack of leg room and comfort.

The cabin crew didn't fare much better either.
There was some positive feed back as well.

ZeBedie
19th Jan 2015, 16:33
the new seats get a lot of complaints about lack of leg room

That makes no sense - the new seats create loads of extra legroom :confused:

pwalhx
19th Jan 2015, 17:04
What was the positive you have only shared negatives.

Say again s l o w l y
19th Jan 2015, 17:13
The new seats got negative feedback about legroom? Compared to the old ones they give a lot more room.

ATIS
19th Jan 2015, 17:46
For once Monarch went the right way about the seats. They were trialled for a season on a couple of planes. The majority of customers loved them, definitely an increase in legroom, and so are being installed throughout the fleet.

No airline can please everyone. Just look at VS upper class reviews. I reckon most of those customers have their company pay for the ticket, and they're still not happy.

nigel osborne
19th Jan 2015, 17:57
Seen a lot of reports on new slimline seats generally offering more legroom but being less comfortable. Perhaps what you would expect as they have less padding.

Suppose on a 2 hr flight thats bare able .

Not sure a 5hr flight would be good, although to be honest never tried the new thin seats that are all the rage now.

Facelookbovvered
19th Jan 2015, 21:26
Have a look on Skytrax, as i said a mixed bag, some complained about thin seats and lack of leg room?? but don't shoot the messenger

The overall impression is a long way away from where they want to be and need to be if they are serious about taking on the big boys in the LoCo world

hapzim
19th Jan 2015, 21:58
" a Sharm flight with tech stop for fuel in Venice and crew going out of hours didn't play well"

Worth looking how many operators Airbus 319/20/21 or Boeing 737 struggled to lift a full load with some of the head winds due to the Jetstream recently out of the Red Sea / Eastern end of Med - UK.

Venice is good option to get a relief crew out to meet the tech stop due fuel and crew hours on a 13hr + day.

111KAB
21st Jan 2015, 06:53
MAEL to maintain AirExplore 737s | MRO Network (http://www.mro-network.com/news/2015/01/mael-maintain-airexplore-737s/4648)

Facelookbovvered
21st Jan 2015, 09:38
The impression i got from the Skytrax customer complaint was more about lack of communication, of course the fact that flight didn't go back to BHX after the Venice stop but rather to Luton wouldn't help.

I know these things happen, but what sets you apart is how you fix it, plus ZBdeee's ops department would have know at least 12 hours in advance that a fuel tech stop was likely. Below from Skytrax

Travelled last night from Sharm El Sheikh to Birmingham. ZB0473. It was a total fiasco. Diverted to Venice for 30 min refuelling 'hop', only to discover crew out of hours. No replacement available and when it was, the flight would not land at Birmingham but Luton. The result was a 7 hour delay overnight. Disgraceful service and 'suck it up people, these things happen' attitude by Monarch pilots, who couldn't tell a straight story between them. Have loved Monarch in the past but given them the benefit of the doubt now too many times. This airline doesn't deserve the loyalty of customers because it doesn't see them as people, rather as 'bums on seats', and takes every opportunity to avoid responsibility. Would not recommend.

For Balance see also from Skytrax

ZB238/239, 3rd-10th January. I have flown Monarch 4x times this year and have to write as they have improved immensely in the past 12 months. The check-in facility at Gatwick is now excellent. The standard of the refurbished cabins with the new slim back seating is so much better than any comparable airline - there is a real sense of space and no need to pay for extra legroom (I am 6ft+). The food/snack choice is more than acceptable and for the first time in a long time their crew seem to be genuinely trained in customer service. What's more - no delays this year! I hope these new changes are here to stay.

MKY661
21st Jan 2015, 09:39
Most comments on Skytrax for Airlines like Monarch, EasyJet, Thomson are negative anyway. I use to see these a lot back in 2012 :)

Facelookbovvered
21st Jan 2015, 09:55
Denial is the best form of defence:ugh:

Of course all airlines get negative reports, more people will vent their spleen over poor service then good service, plus some + feedback is clearly from respective airline employee's, having said that you cannot read without getting some idea about an airline. I was more interested to see if the change of ownership was having an impact at + or - at the customer interface, my verdict is too early to say. Conversely feedback on Ryanair is definitely showing improvement, Jet2 also improving, EasyJet no change, Norwegian negative, mainly off the back of higher customer expectations on long haul, these are the people that Monarch must bench mark against to stay in the game, personally i would rate Jet2 above Monarch in most area they are more consistent despite its average fleet age and do seem to pull the stops out when something goes wrong.

Companies ignore the likes of trip advisor at their peril, ZB have an loyal customer base, its also newlyweds & nearly dead's, it needs to keep the former it will loose the latter........:=

MKY661
21st Jan 2015, 10:06
Sorry didn't see your Positive reply underneath. I've actually heard a lot of good things about the new seats. One or two bad things too.

aceplanes
21st Jan 2015, 13:53
Anyone any ideas re the Winter 2015/2016 schedules appearing? Reading on other forums here that Monarch don't seem to have any bookable flights to Lanzarote after 1st November? Tenerife is bookable. People are contacting Monarch with little success or news to report.
While I would be very surprised if Lanzarote gets dropped, this can only push people towards other operators?

Cloud1
21st Jan 2015, 17:02
Facelookbovvered - what is the aim of you posting comments from skytrax and your apparent customer feedback update anyway? I don't want to sound shirty but is it just to cause a discussion (which is fair enough) although are you going to do the same in the other threads for BA, EasyJet, Thomson etc??

Facelookbovvered
21st Jan 2015, 17:16
Well this a Monarch thread and the airline has undergone some fundamental changes, many of the costs of which have fallen upon the foot soldiers at Monarch, it is indeed a discussion point and i think a valid one given their/your? managements stated aim of restructuring into the LoCo area.

The comments posts from Skytrax are cut and paste, so no apparently about it.

I do not work for them or ever been interviewed so no axe to grind, but if we just try and bury and comments that might appear other than positive, then whats the point.

Leg room, yes i was puzzled by the comment and i know they were tested prior to introduction so i will have to judge for myself shortly when i plan to fly to Manchester with them.

Lsflyer
21st Jan 2015, 18:30
Having flown with monarch several times the last few months I can see why some pax are saying that the seats are tight for legroom. It appears that some of the aircraft have the padded fabric seats still where as some have the new 'tablet holder' thin style recaro seats. Where as a few days when I travelled back on an A320 the seats were padded purple leather which were the worst legroom I have ever encountered. I'm not sure whether they have been trialling different ones and not had time to change them or whether this is what they are keeping. Another thing I have noticed is they like to 'reschedule' the flight very close to departure time. I got an email whilst in the departure lounge saying the flight was being changed to half an hour later which I thought was odd. Then the aircraft arrived and took nearly 50 mins to board an a321! Then a few days ago they did the same thing whilst travelling back from alicante but half an hour earlier. Does anybody know why this is?

Alex321
21st Jan 2015, 19:40
Regarding the seats -

A320's
Non of the A320's have been fitted with the new "tablet holder" seats, G-OZBW/X/Y have seats covered in purple leather style material, these seats are ex previous carriers that have been re-trimmed.

A321's

Aircraft G-MARA, G-OJEG, G-OZBI/T/U/Z, G-ZBAF/G/K/L all have the new seats fitted.

MKY661
21st Jan 2015, 19:57
Non of the A320's have been fitted with the new "tablet holder" seats, G-OZBW/X/Y have seats covered in purple leather style material, these seats are ex previous carriers that have been re-trimmed.

When I last flew on BY they were still First Choice seats.

samj
21st Jan 2015, 22:36
I notice both A330s are operating out of LGW at the moment to Goa/Banjul (long haul) and skis on short haul. Howcome MAN sees no winter operation?

TartinTon
22nd Jan 2015, 06:38
Probably because no tour operator has requested it. The planes go where the tour ops want to take their passengers from, it's not Monarch's choice.

Cloud1
22nd Jan 2015, 10:25
Facelookbovvered- monarch are not my management I was just curious as to why you were quoting from a review site as it's not the most common route of discussion in many other airlines threads.

Anyway my face isn't bothered so will leave you to carry on your discussion.

squeaker
24th Jan 2015, 15:49
Are all three MON 757s going to Icelandair now? I thought two were being scrapped.

Mr @ Spotty M
25th Jan 2015, 08:12
All three B757 were going to Icelandair all along, two for parting out and the third G-MONK due to depart for Iceland shortly. :ok:

MKY661
27th Jan 2015, 16:20
Any reason why G-ZBAR's lease has come to an end now instead of the end of the year? One due to be WFU now staying perhaps?

FQTLSteve
27th Jan 2015, 17:52
Flew Monarch ZB971 230115 AGP-BHX A320 and it had grey leather Recaro slim seats.

MKY661
27th Jan 2015, 18:11
It's an Ex. Vueling aircraft. Not had it's seats replaced yet.

Anyone know then they are all due to be done? I would Imagine it will take a while :)

Mr @ Spotty M
27th Jan 2015, 20:14
Your post has made it over to the LTN thread, you should not add 2 & 2 together and make 5.
G-ZBAR is not leaving the fleet until after the summer as originally planned, it is going to St Athan for a 2A check, no room at the normal inn's.

OltonPete
27th Jan 2015, 20:56
Mr @ Spotty M

What is the final fleet composition for summer 2015 A321/A320.

Booking engine suggests BHX 8, MAN 8, Gatwick 10, Leeds 2 and Luton 4, which is 32 and is it one spare or two?

Mr @ Spotty M
28th Jan 2015, 04:39
My understanding a month or so back was two spare, one each in BHX & LGW. All can be subject to change as is normal. :ok:

MANFOD
28th Jan 2015, 08:31
In terms of where the reductions at bases fell, MAG has born the brunt with EMA losing its 2 a/c base and MAN down from 11 to 8. LBA has retained its 2 a/c. and I gather BHX is just one down. How do LGW with 10 and LTN with 4 compare to 2014?

It's a good job MAN has a lot of positives for this summer as the loss of those 3 MON a/c, including presumably A330s, is a significant drop in capacity unless medium and long haul routes are being replaced with a greater number of short haul sectors.

Ian Brooks
28th Jan 2015, 08:38
Most of the other operators have stepped up and claimed the MAN losses
so I don`t think that is a problem

aceplanes
28th Jan 2015, 13:27
How many routes have been cut from Leeds? just trying to work out why Lanzarote got the chop? Have Jet2 and Ryanair really pushed them out?

OltonPete
28th Jan 2015, 18:58
Mr @ Spotty M

Thank you.

MANFOD

Luton was 5 last year but 4 the year before.

By process of elimination if Manchester had 11 based then Gatwick was 12

MAN 11, BHX 9, EMA 2 LBA 2, LTN 5 and 1 spare = 42.

As Ian B has stated Manchester have replaced most if not all their loss. BHX has an extra Thomas Cook based to compensate although that is not a complete increase as three 757's will turn into three A321's plus the A320.

LBIA
29th Jan 2015, 18:23
aceplanes How many routes have been cut from Leeds? just trying to work out why Lanzarote got the chop? Have Jet2 and Ryanair really pushed them out?

Monarch have dropped 3 routes from Leeds them been to Arrecife, Heraklion and Bodrum. These have been replaced with 2 new routes to Alicante and Naples along with some extra flights been added to Dalaman and Faro. Overall the programme remains at 28x weekly flights, 2x daily flights for each of the 2 based Airbus A320's this summer 2015.

Leeds to Lanazrote this summer see's Ryanair up to 3x weekly and Jet2 up to 4x weekly.

2Planks
29th Jan 2015, 19:40
LBIA - I noted some months ago that Monarch were well behind the drag curve in putting their summer 15 schedule on sale (we now know why given the media accounts of the '11th hour' negotiations) - perhaps they were forced to offer new routes to try and tempt passengers who had not already booked their summer jollidays.

Nfield750
4th Feb 2015, 22:15
Hi spotty m
Is it true monk is going to Iceland as an operational aircraft? I thought she was going for parts? Having seen her sisters at Kemble I hope to god she might escape the same fate?

Mr @ Spotty M
5th Feb 2015, 04:22
No change from my posting 2709 on the 25th Jan.

David Sharpe
6th Feb 2015, 12:19
Good Afternoon,

I am looking at booking some flights to Majorca in August, the option I am looking at is an outbound from Manchester with a return to Birmingham.

When you make a dummy booking and get to the seat plan, the return to Birmingham looks like standard A321 configuration (3 + 3 seats on the majority of the rows, a total of 38 rows) but the plan looks a little odd on the outbound flight from Manchester. The Rows 2 to 7 inclusive are showing 2 + 4 seats, with a further area with only 2 seats in the row (being sold as extra leg room seats) between rows 37 and 43 (2 + 3 in total) showing as 44 rows in total with what looks like over 240 seats if my adding up is correct.

Can anybody give any further indications as to aircraft set up, or is the seat plan playing tricks ?

Many thanks in advance.

squeaker
6th Feb 2015, 17:57
Hi David
I might know the answer to that.
What date is your inbound flight to BHX, please?

roccon970
6th Feb 2015, 19:46
2+4 Seat Plan

You'll probably find you can scroll across to reveal the other half of what is the A330 seat plan. I guess it just hasn't been updated to reflect that the flight will now be operated on the A320/1. Unless the plans for the A330 have changed?

TSR2
6th Feb 2015, 22:18
Yes, it is a wide body aircraft seating plan.

Front section 2-4-2 extra legroom seats.

Middle section 3-3-3 standard seats

Rear section 2-3-2 extra legroom on outer seating only.

Whether they will operate this type of aircraft is anyone's guess at the moment. Maybe a sub-lease.

casanovass
7th Feb 2015, 08:39
Hello everybody.

Anyone knows how is the selection process with monarch? On line assessment, interview and SIM?

Thanks a lot.

CabinCrewe
7th Feb 2015, 11:25
...not sure this is the correct subforum for recruitment tips

bjones4
7th Feb 2015, 13:36
G-ZBAA ready for it's new owner at BHX (will be N228FR)
https://flic.kr/p/qH8y8n

Wycombe
7th Feb 2015, 18:00
Just missing the fancy Frontier tail (of a wolf or something similar).

David Sharpe
8th Feb 2015, 12:58
Many thanks for the replies concerning the seating plan.

The flights were Sunday 2nd August (outbound from Manchester) and Wednesday 12th August (inbound to Birmingham) I have just checked and indeed the outbound flight from Manchester is showing a wide body (A330 ??) seating plan. I never thought of this possibility as I thought that the A330's were leaving the fleet ?

I know that the A330 operated the Sunday flight on this route last year, but it seems a bit of a recipe for chaos if the plan has not been updated and people are being allowed to book onto seats that will not even exist when they turn up at the airport.

Maybe the A330 is being given a stay of execution ?

Nfield750
14th Feb 2015, 13:56
Thanks please can you update when any more info? Understand MONK is still in Monarch hangar At BHX at the moment

walterthesofty
18th Feb 2015, 15:12
http://m.travelweekly.co.uk/Article.aspx?cat=news&id=51995

111KAB
20th Feb 2015, 14:19
https://bdaily.co.uk/hospitality/20-02-2015/interview-monarch-airlines-chief-on-yorkshire-expansion/

VC10man
20th Feb 2015, 15:51
Why are they going to Leeds/Bradford when they are pulling out of EMA?

Are Monarch frightened of competing with Ryanair?

TartinTon
20th Feb 2015, 17:20
Presumably because they made more money from LBA than EMA...why else do airlines choose to fly from one place in preference to another. Nice to see that the COO has "forgotten" that they started from LBA flying to Rome so that would make NAP their 2nd Italian destination flown from LBA...

ATNotts
20th Feb 2015, 19:47
Presumably because they made more money from LBA than EMA...why else do airlines choose to fly from one place in preference to another. Nice to see that the COO has "forgotten" that they started from LBA flying to Rome so that would make NAP their 2nd Italian destination flown from LBA...

Great picture of an (obsolete) Monarch AB6 at the top of the article.

Of course the real reason the airline (in fact any airline) operates is because they expect to make money - and generally, smaller regional airports, because of less competition, ought, on paper to provide a better return than fighting for market share at major airports such as LGW / MAN / EMA (for bucket and spade business) and BHX.

Am I a cynic or what?

tubby linton
20th Feb 2015, 20:11
The picture is of an A330 ATnotts.

on time all the time
21st Feb 2015, 08:27
Yes indeed it is a A330 which will certainly be history by the end of the season unless the contract with Guggenheim which is meant to run until 2018 is to difficult to change.
The reason Monarch is still in LBA is exactly the same. The terms and conditions are such that it is almost impossible for Monarch to quit.
During the crisis of last summer management was keeping its employees informed and this was one of the most difficult part. All aspects of the business were covered , lease of A/C, fleet size, staff redundancy, pay and work condition.
The LBA contract was one of the most difficult point and obviously Monarch was unable to close the base. The financial penalty would have been impossible to honour. A compromise was found.....
Hence the interview which to me is full of emptiness.....I can't feel any excited commitment to the base.....

ATNotts
21st Feb 2015, 10:30
The picture is of an A330 ATnotts.

Whoops! Only glanced at it quickly. Must get myself a new I-Spy Commercial Aircraft book!!!

aceplanes
23rd Feb 2015, 15:10
is the full winter 2015 schedule released yet? Still wondering re Lanzarote as NIL so far?

111KAB
23rd Feb 2015, 19:06
Understand final winter schedule will be "resolved in next few weeks" however there may be something afoot as this response has all the hallmarks of the changes that occurred to the recent winter programme with the changes bought about by the Greybull takeover.

MKY661
24th Feb 2015, 07:33
is the full winter 2015 schedule released yet? Still wondering re Lanzarote as NIL so far?

Don't think so. No GIB flights loaded yet and these are usually late anyway.

SCANDIC
26th Feb 2015, 19:31
Has anyone got any info as to what's happening with MONK seems to be in the hangar for an age.

Egon Maybach
3rd Mar 2015, 14:48
I see the South African 767 has picked up the RTW Captains Choice work

Wonder when it was booked......:hmm:

MARKEYD
3rd Mar 2015, 15:34
Leaves from Bournemouth to Zurich on the start of the RTW tour tomorrow , apparently contract signed last year when the 767 became BOH based

MKY661
9th Mar 2015, 08:12
I'm sure Monarch had two A321's due shortly, so how come there is an A320 on order here? Mistake?:
G- Monarch Airlines Airbus A320-200 - cn 6550 - Planespotters.net Just Aviation (http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/Airbus/A320/6550,G--Monarch-Airlines.php)

Alex321
9th Mar 2015, 11:58
Plans have now changed, no new A321's, 1 x A320 new and potentially 1 x A320 secondhand.

MKY661
9th Mar 2015, 12:51
If I was looking for aircraft I would just keep G-ZBAB to prevent getting a second one :)

Georgeablelovehowindia
10th Mar 2015, 09:28
If I was looking for aircraft I would just keep G-ZBAB to prevent getting a second one :)

Oh, if it only were that simple ... :rolleyes:

kieb92
10th Mar 2015, 11:51
Nice summary of Monarch for this summer compared to last including all routes cuts from each base and weekly flights:

Monarch Airlines cuts 26 routes for S15 but adds eight (http://www.anna.aero/2015/03/10/monarch-airlines-cuts-26-routes-for-s15-but-adds-eight/)

MANFOD
10th Mar 2015, 12:21
With a reduction in the MAN base of 3 of the 8 a/c, it's not surprising that in terms of weekly flights, MAN is now the third largest base compared to the largest I believe at one time. I wonder how that 113 weekly departures compares to last year.

That said, the picture may be clouded by what's happened to the former MON charter business. It seems that MAN has picked up some extra flights by other airlines which may alleviate the overall impact.