PDA

View Full Version : Monarch - 3

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Flightrider
26th Apr 2012, 21:16
Fair point. I'd completely missed that too.

janeyTA
26th Apr 2012, 21:48
I didn't think you were covered under Section 75 when payments are made to a company that isn't the one providing you with the goods or services, because the credit card company must have a direct relationship for them to be equally liable?

sam1993
26th Apr 2012, 23:48
Moving away from the credit card debate, I see from the Summer 13 Thomson brochure, that Monarch will be basing an aircraft at Leeds Bradford for part of the week operating Monday - Thursday for Thomson.

Mr A Tis
27th Apr 2012, 04:03
Yes, paying via Paypal does NOT give you the section 75 Consumer protection. You are paying Paypal not Monarch.
Your cover will be if Paypal fails. If Monarch (or whoever) fails-you get nowt.
Credit card fees are small, typicaly 1.5% -certainly not £10 a pop.
What would you say if you bought £50 worth of petrol and were charged £10 fee for cc?
Paypal has it's own protection scheme- but that is ONLY valid for purchases made on e-bay.
Generally speaking debit cards also afford you no cover either.
If you want section 75 consumer proection then you have to use a CREDIT card & pay directly with it.

Egon Maybach
27th Apr 2012, 20:09
TartinTon Of course you could always use Paypal and use your credit card for free...a point that seems to have been missed in Which Moneys and the Daily Mails outrage.....

Oh silly us! It's the Daily Mail's fault! Of course it is, why, how could it possibly be another half-cocked Management decision gone wrong.

nokia
28th Apr 2012, 08:22
Whats happened to the re launch of the loyalty scheme ? It was all rush rush rush recently and now Summer is upon us its not ready for launch.

Burpbot
28th Apr 2012, 18:13
Can't speak for all debit cards, but a visa debit card has the same cover as a credit card as I found out to my delight recently.

janeyTA
28th Apr 2012, 19:08
Actually it doesn't, as it doesn't create joint liability. Your bank can only recover the money if it is there to be recovered, so no guarantees. With a credit card the card issuer refunds the money.

partyboy_uk
1st May 2012, 16:01
Looks like Monarch intend to offer scheduled flights to Madeira as one of their new ZB winter routes: Bookings to Spanish islands slump as tourist office pulls funding (http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2001270&c=setreg&region=2). (Travelmole 30/04/12). It's good to see Cosmos and Monarch supporting each other again here. I'm guessing the other "new" routes will be existing MON charter ski routes Monarch already operate.

AirGuru
1st May 2012, 16:43
When are the rest of MON/ZB winter routes to be announced. Rumour had it a few weeks back that CWL was in for some ? Although there are many other destinations that they are probably considering for Winter 12. Does anyone know when they will announce what their fleet modernisation program will consist of ?

Airbus321-200
2nd May 2012, 09:07
I doubt monarch would launch a new base in the summer let alone the winter. CWL isn't on the cards no matter how much people would love it.

monarch - steady as she goes.

fmgc
2nd May 2012, 09:08
Just wait and see.

Some interesting new routes coming!

MANTFS
2nd May 2012, 11:06
Airbus 321 you may be surprised

fjencl
2nd May 2012, 16:26
Is there any date soon when more information about the rumoured
new base and routes will be announced........

Or will we just play the waiting game.

:)

AirGuru
2nd May 2012, 17:17
Well, personally i am not sure that is why i asked the forum, but for an airline there is no obvious timescale, just when and if something gets announced ! Hopefully it will be soon though !

Tight Seat
2nd May 2012, 17:35
I hope it's a really 'BIG ANNOUNCEMENT ' . Haven't had one of those for a while:hmm:

FQTLSteve
3rd May 2012, 09:28
Announced yesterday, Monarch two new routes from LGW and BHX to Dubrovnik and Heraklion effective 1st May.

SCANDIC
3rd May 2012, 12:22
When are Monarch going to get some new aircraft like Thomson and others.

Cheapshoes
3rd May 2012, 13:22
When the economic and operational conditions dictate that they're required.

tubby linton
3rd May 2012, 16:29
East Midlands will be the new base.

sam1993
3rd May 2012, 16:31
Monarch to launch new regional base

Monarch has announced a further expansion of its operations across the Midlands with the launch of a new base at East Midlands Airport and also additional flights from Birmingham.

The airline will launch new flights to key leisure destinations across the Mediterranean, including to Malaga, Alicante, Palma and Faro in Portugal from the Midlands in late summer.

In addition, it will expand its operations from Birmingham by adding more flights to Malaga, Alicante, Faro Rome and Palma plus a new route to Barcelona.

Monarch managing director Kevin George said: "In light of recent industry changes, opportunities have opened up in the market. It has become clear that the Midlands will be underserved as a region in the future, and that there is a lack of quality carriers to serve customers travelling from the area.

"As an airline with over 40 years heritage and a stronghold in the Midlands already, the expansion of our existing services from Birmingham and the launch of operations from East Midlands makes perfect sense for Monarch, and accelerates the strategy we announced last year to focus on the development of our scheduled operations into key leisure destinations across the Mediterranean, the Canaries and North Africa."

Looks to be a direct result of the closure of bmibaby!

Airbus321-200
3rd May 2012, 16:39
I'll have to eat my hat!

Well done monarch on a good quick move to east midlands! Decisions like that will make profit!

MKY661
3rd May 2012, 17:16
Well done Monarch although i think CWL would also be good as well :).

Any more routes TBA? I hope VCE, MXP, GIB, LEI, TFS, ACE, LPA & FUE.

Also hope very job at Bmibaby is saved!

AirGuru
3rd May 2012, 17:30
Excellent news for MON, they already have a large market presence in the Midlands so this is pretty logical if im honest. Also, i see it as a quick move to fill the baby gap !
I also hope that every job is saved within baby, and someone takes a plunge with them. However, i would also have liked to have seen CWL, although i now think that there are no spare aircraft available, correct me if im wrong ?

lagerlout
3rd May 2012, 18:10
Can't quite fathom this.

Its either an act of genius by Monarch or the actions of madman. Cant think of to many successful base openings at the end of a Summer, with a limited time to sell product ect.

Are they going to be carving their program's elswhere to enable this move.? Or buying in capacity from elsewhere?

A bold move either way but not sure it will necessarily mean its a profitable one!

MKY661
3rd May 2012, 21:01
Can I also just ask, where are these extra aircraft to do these routes going to come from? Are some routes going to be reduced?

Just some ideas, they could aquire the remaining three TOM airbuses or maybe get some off any other airline who are getting rid of their A320/1's

BHD2BFS
3rd May 2012, 21:06
Any chance of monarch popping up at BHD?

TartinTon
3rd May 2012, 21:13
Can't quite fathom this.

Its either an act of genius by Monarch or the actions of madman. Cant think of to many successful base openings at the end of a Summer, with a limited time to sell product ect.

If they've got any sense they will launch their programme over the school peak and take advantage of the traditional capacity squeeze in Jul/Aug. Why wait until Sep?

rowly6339
3rd May 2012, 21:22
I hope this provides some much needed jobs for the Baby guys and girls, great move by Monarch though and good timing.

OliWW
3rd May 2012, 21:25
There isn't even an official start date yet, it could be the middle of August for all anyone knows...

On paper it would suggest to be a much better idea to launch in July ready for the Summer holidays, but with so little time to promote already heavily operated routes, where would the sense be in that? Bmibaby will already have thousends of passengers going to those destinations, such passengers won't be cancelling their holidays and changing because bmibabys details have been very clear in that specific dates have been set to their closure.

Monarch have got it absolutely correct, they know Ryanair will find it difficult to put a few extra aircraft at EMA due to little flexibility in their operation this Summer due to limited new aircraft deliveries, Flybe don't have the capacity to offer those routes at the current time on the scale which bmibaby did, and Jet2 are already planning for 2013, so in the near, short term, won't be planning anything different also.

Burpbot
4th May 2012, 01:35
Erm, take it you missed the announcement about the new ema base for Flybe on wednesday?

Wycombe
4th May 2012, 07:50
Erm, the Flybe announcement was about regional UK routes and flights to European hubs (CDG, AMS), which is what you'd expect them to do, not the "bucket and spade" routes, which is where Monarch will fit.

planenut321
4th May 2012, 13:40
Monarch has said on the Facebook page they are releasing new destinations on Tuesday.
Does anyone have any ideas? Are they to be routes from current bases or from new bases?

Buster the Bear
4th May 2012, 14:32
East Midlands base coming this summer.

planenut321
4th May 2012, 14:35
Well yes I gathered that much :hmm:

fjencl
4th May 2012, 14:37
Must be more new routes, i would gather......just have to wait till tue to find out now....:ok:

AirGuru
4th May 2012, 14:43
Yip, will more than likely be some more new routes from MON, did you say this coming Tuesday ?
If so, i wonder where ... ? New base/Existing base or what ?

sunday8pm
4th May 2012, 14:49
Malaga, Alicante, Palma and Faro are the only ones announced from EMA so far. You'd imagine Tuesday will be the full list.

MKY661
4th May 2012, 18:52
Id expect TFS to be one as well. TFS operates from all 4 current bases and it is extremely popular.

lagerlout
4th May 2012, 18:55
Does anyone else find it strange that Monarch would announce a new base but not put the routes on sale till the next week?

Are they not losing vital momentum ahead of short sale period for this summer?

Just asking - Its only that I cant remember an airline doing a base annoucnement this way!?

Thoughts anyone?

LGS6753
4th May 2012, 19:00
They jumped in VERY quickly to mark their territory.
Detailed planning will take a few days at least - deciding timings, start dates, modifying the website, increasing or redeploying fleet, crewing, supplier negotiations, etc.
I think if they get a full plan ready to reveal next Tuesday, they will have worked very quickly.

lagerlout
4th May 2012, 19:42
As an ex BMI Baby customer wanting too get a good deal reebooking my holiday I had hoped it would be up stright away.

Monarch_Pilot67
4th May 2012, 20:10
Just looked at the Cosmos flights website, Looks like that they have added a few new routes there e.g Fuchal, Munich and freidrichshafen?

And I saw a new Route: Birmingham to Genoble

Note: Most of them start in the Winter even Late December!

No East midlands Flights on there yet...

Daza
4th May 2012, 20:47
Showing on Avro and Cosmos
BHX-SSH (2 weekly), October Start
BHX-GNB (3 weekly) December Start
BHX-MUC (4 weekly) October Start
BHX-FNC (2 weekly) October start

Jonnyf
4th May 2012, 20:49
No show of the BCN flights from BHX so still some more to come

flybar
4th May 2012, 20:50
In the meantime Jet2, who are already at East Midlands, have announced 8 new routes! Not sure that Monarch have got it right!

OliWW
4th May 2012, 20:52
Well as most of Jet2s routes are for S13... I believe they haven't got it wrong launching this year! Jet2 cannot fill the market this year, Monarch can!

BHD2BFS
4th May 2012, 20:55
Any chance of monarch coming to BHD?

sam1993
4th May 2012, 20:57
Monarch have also loaded flights from Leeds Bradford to Munich (x2 weekly) and Grenoble (x3 weekly) for Winter 12/13 as well.

Bearpit
5th May 2012, 16:41
Am I missing something - nothing on sale for Monarch at all from Leeds on their website???

toledoashley
5th May 2012, 16:48
It was on the Cosmos system, the routes are still there, but availabilty has been taken down.

ematom1
5th May 2012, 16:53
Anyone know what aircraft will be based at EMA?
Thanks.

OliWW
5th May 2012, 20:22
Very likely to be an A321.

spottilludrop
6th May 2012, 16:26
Good to see MON expanding however where are the extra a/c coming from? are they cutting capacity elsewhere?

PPRuNeUser0176
8th May 2012, 11:02
Monarch | 2012 News - Flights - MONARCH AIRLINES LAUNCH 12 NEW ROUTES FOR WINTER 2012/13 & ITS FIRST SCHEDULED SKI PROGRAMME | Flights News (http://www.monarch.co.uk/news/flights/2012-news/launch-12-new-routes-winter12-13-and-first-scheduled-ski-programme)

righthandrule
8th May 2012, 11:15
Monarch announce a new route from Leeds-Grenoble, and within half an hour Jet2 launch a new route from Leeds-Grenoble. If that isn't saying :mad: off Leeds is well and truly ours, then I don't know what is!

Bearpit
8th May 2012, 11:47
Surprised to see Munich being described as a great ski gateway - seems an odd choice for so many new services and surely very congested at peak times for slots??

pudoc
8th May 2012, 11:50
A 2 hour coach from Munich will take you to a nice ski resort, very popular with schools.

OliWW
8th May 2012, 12:06
How is a whole based aircraft going to be sustainable at EMA with only 4 routes at the current time? I heard more were to be announced today but seems not?

Mr A Tis
8th May 2012, 12:48
I was kind of expecting some winter ski flights from East Mids. Have to say two routes from Leeds is a bit of a surprise.
Monarch have tried the smaller airports before, notably Blackpool & Newquay, neither lasted very long.

sunday8pm
8th May 2012, 13:41
I suspect the finer details of their EMA schedule are still being planned?

MARKEYD
8th May 2012, 14:50
A shame Monarch could not have tried a Grenoble / Innsbruck route on a W pattern to Bournemouth for the winter . Always been very popular with skiers and the like who now have to make there way to LGW or BRS .

AirGuru
8th May 2012, 14:59
Shame MON do not look at CWL, there is a massive void to fill since Baby's departure, although VY have cut a little of the slack. Still hugely popular destinations like Murcia, Faro, etc that need extra capacity !

airhumberside
8th May 2012, 15:35
How is a whole based aircraft going to be sustainable at EMA with only 4 routes at the current time? I heard more were to be announced today but seems not?
All depends on the frequency of the routes

TartinTon
8th May 2012, 16:01
Hardly a "massive void" to be filled from CWL. I'm sure that MON get approached by most UK airports in some form or another and have considered that they would lose a bucket load of cash if they operated from there.

It's not as if BRS is a million miles away and there's plenty of service from there.

MKY661
8th May 2012, 16:51
Good news about the new routes but when are the ones from EMA announced and where are these extra aircraft going to come from?

By the way just posted the new routes on the flightradar24 forum so all new routes should be working on flightradar24.com when they start:

Post 600 on here:
New routes to FR24 database - Page 60 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/1870-New-routes-to-FR24-database/page60)

AirGuru
8th May 2012, 17:21
Well TartinTon, i can assure you that MON have looked at CWL many-a-time, which is why they decided to operate the SFB weekly charters from there. So, they also looked into scheduled ops and an expansion of charter ops earlier this year, to destinations that would fill the "Massive Void".

ATNotts
8th May 2012, 17:28
AirGuru.

With ITX flights, it is the tour operator(s) that "decides" to operate a series of flights, and then contracts an airline to operate the flights.

AirGuru
8th May 2012, 17:37
Yes i know that, by i was just saying they were looking at getting a larger presence at CWL ...

TartinTon
8th May 2012, 17:59
..and the "weekly" SFB charters rapidly became fortnightly.....I wouldn't hold your breath for a CWL based unit any time soon...unless a tour operator asked them to base it there.

LBIA
8th May 2012, 18:01
The Yorkshire Evening Post has interviewed Monarch's managing director today. He mentions that they have been looking to expand into Yorkshire area for some time and have been talking to LBA for quite a while.
It looks like Monarch have further plans for growth out of LBA. As he states the following: Expect further route announcements in the “next few weeks” and said that jobs would be created, although no figures were given.

Interesting times a head, Me thinks.

Leeds-Bradford Airport announces arrival of Monarch Airlines - Business Headlines - Yorkshire Evening Post (http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/business-news/business-headlines/leeds-bradford-airport-announces-arrival-of-monarch-airlines-1-4526047)

ematom1
9th May 2012, 17:28
any schedules released for ema yet? :)

PAPAROMA
9th May 2012, 19:40
For an airline to spend time and energy on announcing a new set of flights, routes and schedules and to then fail to allow passengers to book is very odd. Seems to me like the back-end is unable to keep up with the front-end. Or perhaps signalling a change of direction?

MANTFS
10th May 2012, 21:25
Leading scheduled leisure airline, Monarch, last week announced it is to introduce additional frequencies and a new route from Birmingham airport this summer, plus launch a new base and flights from East Midlands airport.* These flights will be on sale from Friday 18 May 2012.

The routes, which have been announced in reaction to the news that bmibaby is to close, include new flights from East Midlands airport to Malaga, Alicante, Palma and Faro, plus additional frequencies from Birmingham airport to Malaga, Alicante, Faro, Rome and Palma.* There will also be a new route between Birmingham and Barcelona. The flights from Birmingham will operate in addition to Monarch’s existing network of services to Alicante, Almeria, Bodrum, Dalaman, Dubrovnik, Faro, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Grenoble*, Heraklion, Ibiza, Lanzarote, Larnaca, Madeira*, Majorca, Malaga, Menorca, Milan, Munich*, Paphos, Rome, Sharm el Sheikh*, Tenerife and Venice.*

Commenting on the new Midlands’ services, Managing Director of Monarch Airlines, Kevin George said, “Monarch is delighted to be launching the new and additional services from both Birmingham and East Midlands airports, which will support travellers in the region left without flights to some of their favourite leisure destinations once bmibaby closes.* The services, which account for 25% of bmibaby’s existing routes from the Midlands, will commence this summer and provide customers with a quality alternative for all their holiday flights.”

Monarch’s new and additional flights from Birmingham and East Midlands airports will be available to book via Monarch | Cheap Flights, Holidays & Hotels (http://www.monarch.co.uk) from Friday 18 May, when full schedules and timetables will be published.

Nakata77
11th May 2012, 08:06
why do airlines keep announcing routes from airports that are already awash with strong route networks?

i don't understand why they are not considering more protection for their airline by starting monopolistic routes from airports like Newquay, Bournemouth, Durham, Humberside etc etc

of course those airports have smaller catchments, but they are entirely YOUR catchments if you are the only airline.

mgy2k90
11th May 2012, 09:51
To be fair Monarch are the biggest carrier based at BHX, so they are kinda a monopoly anyway? Although being a low cost carrier, they still offer superior customer care to the likes of Ryan Air and have a lot of history to support them in this major expansion. Doubling its capacity at BHX in a 12 month period. Here Here to Monarch i say!!

and they are having a further 2 aircraft based there, making the total up to 8 based a/c this summer.

GayFriendly
11th May 2012, 10:02
Nakata77

I would say the cost of setting up a based operation (crew, aircraft) has a lot to do why airlines focus on main hubs, plus the airports you do mention have very small catchments and not enough I would say to support an A320 or A321 on the number of daily rotations needed to make this cost effective. Add in the increased APD which is making many think twice about taking non essential 'short break' flights and the nail is in the coffin for these type of airports getting a big based 'loco' style carrier. NQY in particular is very seasonal, ZB tried there before and got their fingers burnt. Just because you offer flights from an airport does not mean that they will fill up with pax just because they are offered, monopoly or not!

Mr A Tis
11th May 2012, 14:55
... although it is still possible to bring in smaller airports by using W pattern routes from the main bases.

firstchoice7e7
11th May 2012, 19:41
Looking to book a flight back from Munich to London Luton in September. Surprisingly Monarch have flights available for 3 random dates in September, one of which is ideal for me. Flight code is ZB

Anyone able to tell me if the aircraft is returning on a positioning flight :) , a ski charter flight :) , or is it a football charter :{:{:{

If its the latter ill book elsewhere ;)

Thanks

Blighty Pilot
11th May 2012, 20:07
ZB designators are all scheduled routes. MON is the charter designator.

MUC has this week been announced as a new route for Monarch. Unsure of the start date though.

TartinTon
11th May 2012, 21:07
Scheduled ZB flights to MUC start 24Sep to coincide with the start of Oktoberfest. Weekends served until clock change and then 4 x weekly from Nov.
Not football charters so rest assured....

SCANDIC
12th May 2012, 10:54
When are the fleet renewal plans going to be announced.

Mr @ Spotty M
12th May 2012, 11:00
Later in the year, if we are lucky.

SCANDIC
12th May 2012, 12:07
What do you think they'll replace the a300's with

CabinCrewe
12th May 2012, 12:28
the w patterns ex NQY and ABZ were far froma flying success the last time..

New T2 Office
12th May 2012, 13:39
CC, you're correct there, although that was in the PB/TJ era.............this is the era of IR, who I think we all have much more confidence in:)

Mr @ Spotty M
12th May 2012, 14:15
The A300 will not be replaced by a wide-body aircraft.
Wide-body aircraft do not fit in with the ZB plans, they are to big.
In my opinion for the short term they will be replaced by more A320 or A321, until a final decision is made as per my previous post.

caaardiff
12th May 2012, 14:29
Does anyone know where the a/c that operated the NQY and ABZ routes was based?
I got the impression it was an actual base, not W pattern, so i'm interested to know if Monarch still do similar routes.
There's been a lot of talk within various forums of the potential of a base at CWL, but it appears there's bigger fish to fry at the moment.
Since the departure of WW, CWL has been crying out for a decent UK operator for the sun routes lost. It had always been said (obviously not confirmed) that CWL was a profitable summer base for WW, but struggled in the winter. With the above in mind, would Monarch consider W patterns into CWL, using a BHX a/c and crew? Is it in their current strategy, do they do it elsewhere?
Would the crew be able to transport to/from CWL after say a canaries flight and still make it home without the need for a hotel?
Apparently VY is already doing well with the ALC and PMI routes due to start soon, but WW also served the likes of MAH, IBZ, MJV and high frequency flights to FAO and AGP. CWL is crying out for more canaries and cyprus flights, especially in the winter, and potentially ski flights to boost the winter lull, something baby didnt, or couldn't tap into.
I personally believe that Monarch would be perfect for CWL, granted it would be a risk at first, but we've already seen the introduction of Cosmos to Wales with the SFB flights. Why not expand on that, create a new brand in Wales and claw back some of that leakage to the orange that goes over the bridge.

MKY661
12th May 2012, 14:50
Monarch used to base an aircraft at AGP didn't they so It might of been there.

CabinCrewe
12th May 2012, 15:05
Not sure how you can tell how well the Vueling flights are doing, however the prices dont seem to be suggesting sell out

AirGuru
12th May 2012, 21:56
Totally agree with everything you said caaardiff ! Well, we will see how the first conplete month of BCN ops with VY are performing on monday when the CAA stats are released. MON would be great at CWL !

Facelookbovvered
13th May 2012, 08:06
I think if ZB are serious about EMA they need to get a move on! Whilst i guess they don't have lots of spare crews or aircraft sitting around to sweep up ex baby routes and passengers, could they cut a deal with IAG to take the routes this summer using some ex baby aircraft & crews,re brand the aircraft that way the passenger booked to fly with baby during this Summer are far more likely to book with Monarch going into the winter and 2013 than starting afresh.

If you were booking now and had the choice of Jet2, FR or bmibaby for mid late Summer why on earth would you risk bmibaby? I would probably try Jet2 first followed by FR, can bmibaby hold on to its crews until mid September?

In Belfast bmibaby is fast being airbrushed out, all the city posters have gone, radio chopped, but the Summer med routes are still busy, yesterdays BHD -AGP looked around 130 and BHD ALC 120, not full but not bad for May

Can ZB take on Jet2 at EMA and hold their own?? if not i expect Jet2 will turn up at BHX next!

TartinTon
13th May 2012, 18:06
ZB tend to outperform Jet2 where they are head-to-head. When J2 turned up at MAN people said the same things. ZB only grew their capacity from that point on. The question is what damage will be done to Jet 2, first at EMA and potentially later on at LBA...could be interesting.....

horatio_b
13th May 2012, 18:54
I suppose it depends how you define "outperform"
In passenger numbers, Monarch might be ahead, but Jet2 are a profitable
airline, whilst Monarch have been struggling financially.

renort
13th May 2012, 23:26
When the focus becomes 'doing damage' to a competitor, it stops being about profit. How much longer did FM say he would sustain losses?

New T2 Office
14th May 2012, 07:12
He didn't...............instead he and his fellow shareholders accepted the 2yr plan put forward by the board, which fortunately after Q2, is 'bang in line' with preset targets :ok:

clamour_kid
14th May 2012, 11:11
Hi, this is my first post on here, so please be gentle on me. :)

I am due to fly with Monarch on 2nd June from Manchester to Sharm on flight number ZB 684. I know this will be on an A300-600.

I will admit, I am a very anxious flyer and research everything in an attempt to calm my nerves, but my active mind tends to over analyse things and selfishly apply negative thoughts to myself and the situation I am going to be in.

I know the A300-600 is an old plane and out of production (does that matter from a safety perspective?) and I know they have a sensitive rudder etc. I guess pilot training should take care of that, but my question is regarding the plane itself from a passenger's perspective. How comfortable and relaxing is it? I have booked the premium leg room seats too.

Also, one strange thing I have noticed is that, by tracking the flights on my flight tracker app on my iPhone, the Saturday morning flight is always delayed by 4 or 5 hours and then noticed that it is because it is awaiting the arrival of the A300-600 from Palma that morning.

2 questions: 1. Aren't there enough planes to go around at Monarch? 2. Why schedule a flight in for 10am when you know that the plane you will be using only arrives from another destination at 12:55?

Also, are there any A300-600 pilots on here that want to reassure me about flying and the quality of these planes.

Thanks in advance. :ok:

jamesferns
14th May 2012, 12:29
Im not surprised ZB outperform jet 2 tartin, its without doubt a far superior product , all things being equal why on earth would you choose jet 2 over ZB?

ManUtd1999
14th May 2012, 16:08
The battle with Jet2 will be key for Monarchs future. They are trying to put themselves into the 'between Ryanair and BA' market, but this is a hugely congested area. Fuel prices have put an end to the days of true low-cost flying (even Ryanair don't really offer £1 flights etc now and once other fees are added in fares below £50 are rare). Easyjet have successfully operated 'one level up' from Ryanair and Jet2 have seen good growth with a combination of charter and low (ish) cost flying. Their superior route networks surely give them an advantage over Monarch. Monarch do have a strong brand, but you wonder whether 3+ airlines can realistically compete for the same customers.

compton3bravo
14th May 2012, 16:55
Got to disagree to say that there is no really ´low cost´flying left any more. Depends on what you mean by low cost. To my mind if you book well in advance and play the game so to speak - i.e. no bags, meals etc. there is still great value around. Just did a Gib-Luton return with Monarch for 78 pounds including all taxes and charges and no c/c fees (used debit). I would say that was pretty good value in anyone´s book and given an extra leg room seat on the inbound leg!

Mr A Tis
14th May 2012, 21:45
Well ZB did not have a very good Sunday at MAN. Several flights delayed 2hrs+ and I think the BCN was about 7 hours late.
Whereas LS were all mostly on time with their Amy Johnson fleet.
They both have ups and downs & I wouldn't put one any higher than the other TBH.

Jonnyf
18th May 2012, 08:15
New East mid and Birmingham flights now on sale

MKY661
18th May 2012, 16:36
On post 633 here i have posted all the routes so they will work on Flightradar24 when they start. If I have missed any please let me know :)

New routes to FR24 database - Page 64 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/1870-New-routes-to-FR24-database?p=17566&posted=1#post17566)

Thanks and hope the new routes go well.

Daza
18th May 2012, 21:27
New and additional flights from Birmingham Airport will start from 20th July 2012 and include the following services:
• Nice* - Daily flights
• Malaga – 4 additional weekly flights (Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays)
• Barcelona* - 4 weekly flights (Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays)
• Majorca – 3 additional weekly flights (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays)
• Alicante – 3 additional weekly flights (Mondays, Tuesdays and Sundays)
• Faro – 2 additional weekly flights (Thursdays and Saturdays)
• Rome – 2 additional weekly flights (Mondays and Wednesdays)
• Dalaman – 1 additional weekly flight (Fridays)
• Ibiza – 1 additional weekly flight (Wednesdays)
• Tenerife – 1 additional weekly flight (Saturdays)

Fantastic news! Daily Nice too.:ok:

Direct VTB
20th May 2012, 07:43
So possibly 7 more a/c this winter taking it up to 35.....

MKY661
20th May 2012, 10:49
Thats a lot! The problem is where are they going to get them from. Only one I can think of is TOM.

Mr @ Spotty M
20th May 2012, 20:21
Somebody can not count, l make the current fleet at 32 aircraft.
So two a/c are due to leave around November, which brings the number down to 30.
So if your number is correct and nothing is on going that l am aware of, you have 5 a/c to add.

harer92
20th May 2012, 20:55
With all of these new routes up and coming, along with an 320 and AB6 leaving this year, does anyone not agree that Monarch are spreading themselves a bit too thin?

Anywho, what are the current numbers of aircraft based at each of the MON bases and what type are they?

Great to hear new routes being launched - especially Munich, Friedrichstafen and Grenoble! Shame that MAN is not recieving flights to Nice or Madeira!!! Maybe Winter 2012/13 or Summer 2013. Afterall other bases did receive new destinations within weeks/months after the influx of pax that MON saw on newly announced 'italian job' routes.

JackRalston
20th May 2012, 21:01
ZB5479 (MON5479) MXP-BHX A320 GOZBX - declared mayday over English Channel, rapid descent to FL100, continuing to Birmingham now still at FL100, must of been rapid decompression? Hope everyone is ok.

Mr A Tis
20th May 2012, 21:14
Harer - could not agree more on the MAN routes. Why they picked MAN-MUC I don't know. Luftie do it 3 x a day, Easy do it 6 x a week & not to mention a daily 777 of Singapore. I'm sure there are other destinations that are not as well served as this one.

harer92
20th May 2012, 21:20
could not agree more on the MAN routes. Why they picked MAN-MUC I don't know. Luftie do it 3 x a day, Easy do it 6 x a week & not to mention a daily 777 of Singapore. I'm sure there are other destinations that are not as well served as this one.

Well to be honest, id rather have MON add munich to MAN than them not at all, after all growth is growth, not only that but they are more looking at the ski pax rather than the business pax are they not? as well they will have the backing of tour operators ala cosmos!

Exactly other destinations such as Nice or Funchal :E Which have hardly any presence by a carrier into MAN on them - if not at all exc TCX/TOM

Such a shame that BHX is seeing more flights added than MAN - with MAN being a very very big base for MON.

OltonPete
20th May 2012, 21:24
JackRalston

That just caps one awful weekend at BHX although "BX" was not showing emergency squawk per flightradar24 when it landed.

That was about the 5th problem this weekend at BHX: -

"EG" arrived BHX Saturday lunch grounded until this morning

"BR" arrived BHX Saturday lunch grounded until this morning

Outbound Las Palmas yesterday afternoon delayed until this morning and operated by Air Finland 757. It came back this evening and operated out again on this afternoons delayed Paphos.

"BG" arrived lunchtime from Palma not flown since.

"BR" operated this morning and outbound this afternoon to Dalaman, about 90 minutes into the flight (over Karlsruhe) it did a 180 and diverted Gatwick and the return flight delayed until tomorrow evening.

harer92
20th May 2012, 21:29
MON is also having a bit of trouble at MAN as well.

Fridays GIB flight delayed for a very long time and ended up going to AGP - although that was due to the bad weather in GIB.

Im sure there was a problem with a DLM flight in the week - aircraft went tech i believe and there was an aircraft change. cant remember the reason why but i definately saw the aircraft reg change on the departure screens.

Milan was also affected although this might have been the week before but still.

Its also worthwhile to mention that loads on MAN flights have been very healthy - especially when checking in at peak times - morning and lunch time where queues have gone from the check-in desks 57 etc all the way down to the TOM ticket desk and even sometime upto and even inside the skylink!

revo
20th May 2012, 22:28
I think the expansion at BHX has a lot to do with Bmibaby shutting down and the new routes are to fill in the schedule for the extra flights planned from July.

Direct VTB
20th May 2012, 22:35
Mr.... I don't know if that means 4 are Leaving.. But there was a meeting last week and 7 extra a/c was mentioned taking it up to 35 for this winter.

JackRalston
21st May 2012, 10:18
OltonPete & Harer92 you are both right about the delays at the moment. Quite a few aircraft are going tech now and then.

Regarding what Harer92 said about load factor at MAN, Monarch are certainly doing well on pretty much all the routes, all flights are either full or have about 5 seats free.

The Italian routes do seem to be fluctuating in terms of passengers. One day we had over 150 on the Milan Malpensa flight but only about 40 on the Verona and they ended up putting all the Verona passengers on the Milan flight. Yesterday when I was in work, we had 121 on the Verona flight and only 31 on the Milan flight, they seem to be changing by the day but lets hope these new routes really pick up soon. Apart from that, the rest of the network out of MAN is doing fine.

Mr A Tis
21st May 2012, 12:42
If the ZB check in stretches as far back as the Skylink, then 1) I'm not surprised almost all flights have been delayed & 2) it would certainly put me off booking again with them. I will find out for myself on Thursday morning.

spottilludrop
21st May 2012, 13:10
MON certainly seem to have taken over T2 recently it seems every stand has a MON aircraft on it

Daza
21st May 2012, 22:07
harer92 wrote Such a shame that BHX is seeing more flights added than MAN - with MAN being a very very big base for MON.

Why is it a shame? What an odd thing to say. Why shouldn't Monarch expand out of other airports? New Monarch routes and increased frequencies on existing routes more than make up for the loss of BMIBaby at Birmingham. Monarch have seen an opportunity at Birmingham and have grabbed it with both hands.:ok:

Herr Bus
22nd May 2012, 07:12
"BR". F/O felt unwell that is why the aircraft returned to LGW.:\

harer92
22nd May 2012, 15:12
Daza Why is it a shame? What an odd thing to say. Why shouldn't Monarch expand out of other airports? New Monarch routes and increased frequencies on existing routes more than make up for the loss of BMIBaby at Birmingham. Monarch have seen an opportunity at Birmingham and have grabbed it with both hands.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gifIt is good that Monarch are doing something right and seizing hold of a gap in the market now that BMIB is closing down - i applaud them for that and for expanding out of other bases. I just feel that they would give more of a thought to MAN which is its largest scheduled base afterall? Although there has been an increase in destinations at MAN by MON, some flights to spain and what not have been cut to enable these Italian destinations to be brought into the MON network at MAN. Im just hoping that MON see that flights to Nice and Madeira will work for them at MAN as there are only 2 flights a week from Jet2 or TOM.

It is also unusual to see that Heraklion is still MON flight here, while it is ZB elsewhere?

New T2 Office
22nd May 2012, 15:21
'' I just feel that they would give more of a thought to MAN which is its largest scheduled base after all? ''

Believe it or not harer92, an awful lot of thought is given to any major expansion.....our commercial dept have obviously been working incredibly hard on this very subject for many months now and continue to do so....these decisions are not made or taken lightly (or with little thought either!!!) ;)

harer92
22nd May 2012, 16:18
Yeah thats obvious and can understand that, but I am merely stating my opinion.

MKY661
22nd May 2012, 18:45
I think NCE will be good for MON from MAN.

Also wonder why they don't operate any Scheduled Greek flights from MAN as they do from all the other bases? I personally think CFU and HER will also be good from MAN :)

New T2 Office
22nd May 2012, 20:22
MKY661...............thanks for those suggestions, I'll pass them on to KG via the isuggest system!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

LBIA
22nd May 2012, 20:26
I wonder if the new bases at EMA from this summer and LBA next year will have any effect on Monarch's future plans and operations out of MAN?

Cymmon
22nd May 2012, 20:31
How about Butuan, Southern Philippines too?;)
I always use Monarch to Lanzarote.....

spottilludrop
23rd May 2012, 10:52
T2office , Is KG the genius responsible for monarch flying empty planes to places no one wishes to go? If so he may do well to listen to the suggestions that Greek destinations may be a good idea especially if Greece returns to the Drachma

compton3bravo
23rd May 2012, 11:10
I see the schedules for Luton seem to have taken a bit of a hammering to accomodate the new and extra services from Birmingham, East Midlands and Leeds-Bradford. No actual routes cut but schedules reduced on a number of routes.
A bit concerned by the extra flights to Malaga from Birmingham - what I have seen living down in here on the Costa del Sol there does not seem to be that many UK ´´trippers´´ making the journey and when they are here there not spending either but that is not Monarch´s problem.

New T2 Office
23rd May 2012, 15:23
Spottilludrop writes:

'Is KG the genius responsible for monarch flying empty planes to places no one wishes to go? If so he may do well to listen to the suggestions that Greek destinations may be a good idea especially if Greece returns to the Drachma'

''A good idea'''????:uhoh:

From todays Sky News:

'''However, this year bookings to Greece are down by a fifth and since the
indecisive elections the numbers booking holidays have dropped further.'''

Funny..........in my 25 yrs plus with MON, Ive only ever flown an a/c empty when it was intended to be empty, ie posn flights......where are we flying empty a/c too??? Please tell....................

Loads continually on the up, and have been for the last 18 months now, capacity over 92% on last review, yields up too, someones doing something right:D:D

Daza
23rd May 2012, 15:25
Compton3Bravo
The extra Monarch flights are to make up for the loss of BMIBaby on the route so really not many extra seats. Malaga has always been able to support several carriers on the BHX-AGP route. Birmingham-Malaga consistantly carries the third largest number of UK originating passengers after London and Manchester almost 30,000 in April and this year 71,000 passengers so far. (source Aena)

24th May 2012, 13:53
Just back from FUE, no problem with the flights themselves, but delay of 60+ minutes on the way out on 16th and the same on the return last night, love driving home at 1.30am!

Delay due to late arrival aircraft on previous flight on both occasions The sooner MAN - FUE gets back to an early morning departure the better as delays seem to be becoming the norm at the moment.

Just noticed todays FAO - MAN also 50 mins + late due at 14.25, hoped for arrival at 15.20

Not life threatening just very annoying, maybe I am just getting grumpy in my old age :ugh:

GayFriendly
24th May 2012, 14:29
I just feel that they would give more of a thought to MAN which is its largest scheduled base afterall?

MAN is a very competitive market for leisure focused carriers - big bases for ZB, LS and EZY, and now of course FR all of whom have expanded and added aircraft and new routes in the last 18 months. Down the road at BHX, WW are about to close and other based carriers (FR and BE) only expand cautiously, with just a few new routes between them in the past two years. There is no LS and only one year round EZY route. Hence ZB have seen a huge gap in the market and jumped in and I wish them every success, finally (for now at least!) an airline that sees BHX as a strong and viable base for an expanding range of flights to a broader range of European destinations. Of course MAN will probably always remain biggest ZB base but the need to expand there right now is not perhaps as pressing (or advantageous) as at BHX.

As for destinations, BHX had no scheduled flights to Madeira or Sharm hence why ZB have stepped in this winter, I believe at MAN these services already exist. You could argue that BHX should also have flights to VRN and Friedricshafen which ZB do or will do from MAN but the business case from BHX is obviously not there at present. Of course MAN will see ZB expansion in the future as well but each base will of course have destinations served that are not available from others based on individual local catchment demand.

harer92
24th May 2012, 14:57
That is all very well and true. P.S MON dont serve Madeira on a ZB service from MAN :ok:

Unless you meant Madeira being served at all as a destination, which ofcourse it is by TOM and LS

Mr A Tis
24th May 2012, 17:09
The ZB MAN check in wasn't as bad as I expected this morning. However, the flight departed 2hours 30 late ( to BCN). No announcements re the reason for the delay were made until the actual scheduled departure time of 8am. Then the times were changed from 0800, to 0930, to 0950 to 1030 etc. Only after 9am was any significant reason given. £5 vouchers came out only after 930, by which time most people had already purchased refreshments & it was almost time to board.
The operating aircraft was due to position in from Luton, but was delayed due to fog at Luton.Keeping passengers up to date was good once the communication channels opened. however, Up until 9am, the handling agents claimed to know as much as we did.

Not a good day for MAN-BCN as the Jet2 flight left 4 hours late.

Sure these things happen, but when there is no aircraft on the airport to operate the flight,it's nice to know why & when it will go, so arrangements can be amended.

JackRalston
24th May 2012, 18:04
Mr A Tis might of seen you then this morning for the BCN. I was keeping an eye on the queue first thing, if you saw anyone with a red clipboard that was me. I wasn't aware that there was a delay on the BCN flight so it must of been once most people were going through security. The fog I can understand why it caused a bit of a delay, yesterday there was very heavy mist for about an hour in the morning at MAN.

compton3bravo
24th May 2012, 18:30
Thanks Dazza point taken but just wondering if going from a B733 to a 320/321 with all those extra seats available is really going to work out - I do hope so but just looking at the number of UK ´´trippers´´ as we call them down here I just have my doubts.
Also Baby never achieved a profit so also concerned about the yield but let us hope everything turns out OK.

horatio_b
24th May 2012, 22:09
Well a £5 voucher for a 2hr 30minute delay is much better than EZY.
My LPL-GVA flight with EZY was delayed by 4hr 30 mins recently and all we received was a paltry £3 voucher

hapzim
25th May 2012, 06:47
FLIGHT DELAY RULES - ENGLISH (http://www.delayrules.com/Flight_delay_rules.php)

What are your rights by flight delays?

Depending on the length of your flight and the duration of the delay, the airline has an obligation to offer you free assitance.

1. For flights of 1500 km or less, a delay of 2 hours or more.

2. For flights of more than 1500 km within the EU and all other flights between 1500 km and 3500 km, with a delay of 3 hours or more.

3. For flights of more than 3500 km outside the EU, a delay of 4 hours or more.

In all these cases you're entitled to:

Free refreshments and meals in a reasonable relation to the delay time.

Two free phone calls-mail, faxes or e mails.

Free hotel accommodation if you have one or more nights to wait, or if your planned stay to be extended by the delay.

Free transport to and from the accommodation and the airport.

For all flights (regardless of distance), if you have a delay of more than 5 hours you may waive the trip. You are then entitled to full refund of your unused ticket. Is it a return flight, then the company can offer, an alternative flight. Stranded on an airport transfer is not possible to fly on? Then you are also entitled to a free return flight to the airport from where you left.

Right to compensation for delays!

On November 19, 2009, the European Court of Justice ruled that passengers on a delayed flight right to financial compensation. Passengers 3 or more hours later than planned to reach their destination, may require compensation from the airline. The following financial compensation shall apply:

1, from € 250, - for flights of 1500 km

2, from € 400, - for flights of more than 1500 km within the EU and all other flights between 1500 km and 3500 km

3, from € 600, - for flights of more than 3500 km

Delay does not entitle you to compensation if the airline can prove that there was force majeure, in other words, if the delay is due to extraordinary circumstances beyond its actual control and that, despite taking all reasonable measures, not could be avoided.

IB4138
25th May 2012, 07:19
the number of UK ´´trippers´´ as we call them down here

That might be what you call them compton, but to some of us down here, they are known as "pesky tourists" and "lobster trainees".

compton3bravo
25th May 2012, 15:33
Very funny IB4138 saw some ´´Trainee Lobsers´´ this morning. I suppose we could all lump them together as ´´Riff Raff´´but that would be unfair!
Also Dazza just being reported in the local press that there was a drop of 13 per cent on the number of Brits visiting Spain in April compared to last year so that is why I was pointing out the increase in available seats now being put on the market by Monarch and Jet2.

Daza
25th May 2012, 16:05
Compton3bravo
This "extra capacity" with MON you talk of is to replace the loss of daily BMIBaby BHX-AGP :ugh:

OltonPete
25th May 2012, 16:29
compton3bravo

As others have said, the increase is for the six week school holiday period when the ZB/WW routes are duplicated.

As soon as Baby end in September the Monarch increases still fall short of the number of seats offered by Baby on AGP, ALC, PMI, FAO & FCO.

Nice could well be up a bit as the Baby was due to reduce at the end of September.

Monarch have yet to increase AGP & ALC in winter either to cover the Baby flights which usually operate, so they haven't gone totally over the top.

TSR2
25th May 2012, 16:39
I suppose we could all lump them together as ´´Riff Raff´´but that would be unfair!

Yep, sure would. The 'Riff Raff' as you call them appear to be propping up your economy at the moment.

Monty Gordo
25th May 2012, 17:16
At least TSR2 brings some commonsense to what is, unfortunately, a common attitude by Brits abroad. I share my time between the UK and Portugal and know only too well that the economy on the Algarve would collapse if it was not for the 'Riff Raff' English coming in and spending their hard-earned Euros. I am sure the same is the case for southern Spain as well.

From experience the vast majority of the 'Riff Raff' are thoroughly decent, hard-working people who are both polite and pleasant to the Portuguese.

My experience has also shown that it is the likes of C3B who are the proverbial pain in the backside.

Let's be generous in our thoughts and attitudes, don't put people down because they are seeking a little sun, warm weather on a budget holiday.
Without them, some European economies and airlines would be facing an even greater crisis.

spottilludrop
25th May 2012, 17:38
Well said that man, Consdering the state of the southern european banana republics i would have thought every euro spent there by the hardworking productive riff raff from the northern end of the eurozone would be more than welcome.

compton3bravo
25th May 2012, 17:42
It is supposed to be a joke gentlemen - not to be taken seriously - lighten up and have a good weekend.

IB4138
25th May 2012, 19:28
No chance. Too many lobster trainees about crompton, filling restaurants, bars and taking up parking places in their hire chariots! :)

clamour_kid
31st May 2012, 07:53
Monarch Flight MON582 G-OBZT from Manchester to Palma Squawked 7700 and now 7701 and making emergency landing at Gatwick.

jubilee
31st May 2012, 08:03
My Brother is on board, find out what happened later.

jubilee
31st May 2012, 08:27
Just had a text from my brother, Quote:- Just ejected a ******** who had been causing trouble. He started smoking and then set fire to his mates hair. Think he'd been drinking. Police got him off, we set off in about 20mins.

The cabin crew said code bravo as they turned back to Gatwick.

clamour_kid
31st May 2012, 08:29
From Twitter a woman has posted the following:

Just had to make an emergency landing at Gatwick! Plane on fire! Oh, no, sorry, stupid stags burning stuff at the back of the plane. Drama!

When I questioned her on it, she replied:

Idiots burning hair! (?) at the back of the plane. Cabin crew thought the plane was on fire, captain, dumped the fuel. Police have arrested the guy, we're refuelling... Lots of fire engines!

clamour_kid
31st May 2012, 08:29
What does code Bravo mean?

jubilee
31st May 2012, 08:40
Update. Aircraft met by fire engines, ( Due to emergency). Police everywhere at the moment, think his mates are being allowed to stay on.. New arrival at PMI 13:10 local.

At the moment the police are down the back off the A/C.

I would think bravo means a message to the crew, to make them aware of the kind of situation they are in.

GayFriendly
31st May 2012, 09:06
Just ejected a ******** who had been causing trouble. He started smoking and then set fire to his mates hair. Think he'd been drinking. Police got him off, we set off in about 20mins.

And who says the glamour has gone out of air travel? ;)

Make the idiot concerned pay towards the huge cost of delay incurred by ZB for his behaviour and it might deter others from doing the same in the future. If he was that drunk why was he not denied boarding in the first place?

JSCL
31st May 2012, 09:13
It's always the ones from Manchester for some reason ^^

jubilee
31st May 2012, 09:15
Last update, should be dept. at about 10:25.

I came back on the same aircraft on Tuesday night from Palma,apparently its one Monarch obtained from easy.

AP1995
31st May 2012, 10:04
any thoughts of what MON have in store for LBA?

jubilee
31st May 2012, 13:43
Don't know about Gatwick, but one is doing some flights out of Manchester.
Should have been on G-MONK on Saturday 19 May from man-pmi.
but they(Monarch) ferried it empty to Luton, to cover a delayed flight to Dalaman..
Sub charted a Thomson 757 for us, which then gave us a 165 Min. delay. Not to impressed.

Fairdealfrank
31st May 2012, 13:50
Is it the case that these people are put on a black list and banned from all carriers for future travel?

Is it also the case that liquids and gels over 100ml (or equivelant) are barred from aircraft cabins but matches and/or lighters are allowed?!

JackRalston
31st May 2012, 13:51
Lets hope I didn't check any of them fools in on ZB532 this morning for MAN-PMI. Didn't see many stag groups really. Absolute disgrace what that passenger did and I hope Monarch make him pay for the delay.

Fairdealfrank
31st May 2012, 14:12
Yes, if it's deliberate misbehaviour and/or vandalism, it would make sense for them to be billed. Adding everything up could easily go into the thousands...

Take it that they'll be up before the beak, in which case best say no more, it may be subjudice.

spottilludrop
31st May 2012, 15:21
As well as being billed the moron should be charged with endangering a aircraft, max penalty around five years

Mr @ Spotty M
31st May 2012, 20:51
One B757 based at LGW, MAN & EDI.
Just a note with regards to the diversion due to the :mad: on board, unless the a/c was an A330, it would not have been able to dump fuel.

clamour_kid
1st Jun 2012, 13:12
ZB533 from Palma to Manchester (G-MAJS) was diverted to Liverpool. Anyone know why? I am due to fly on A300 to Sharm tomorrow morning ZB654 and am wondering if this is going to have an effect?

vinnym
1st Jun 2012, 13:23
According to NWAN it was due to being low on fuel!!!

clamour_kid
1st Jun 2012, 13:26
That's strange as it was circling twice round Manchester waiting to land.

TSR2
1st Jun 2012, 14:53
An A300 from Palma short on fuel ? Someone must have badly mis-calculated fuel requirement if this is correct.

tubby linton
1st Jun 2012, 16:07
TSR2,not necessarily. In these challenging financial times airlines cannot justify letting their pilots fly around with large amounts of excess fuel as we used to do. Certain ATC units do not offer direct routings and always put their national aircraft in front of non-based operators plus the wind data used on the flight plan may have not reflected reality.. These will eat up the contingency fuel very rapidly.

puppet on a string
1st Jun 2012, 19:14
tubby:

surely it's cheaper to fill the aircraft with fuel at base?! regardless of routing. Why only fill it with enough to do the routing....I am no expert here in no means which is why I would like enlightening but is it cheaper to fuel heavy on x2 short sector flights...or fuel for each flight individually based on lighter aircraft/better performance

puppet on a string
1st Jun 2012, 19:17
tubby

sorry tubby...i have just re look at what i said and realised what a t*t i was. It isnt rocket science

tubby linton
1st Jun 2012, 20:17
You use 4% of your fuel an hour just to carry it so these days we tend only to tank to a destination if there is a significant price differential

SCANDIC
1st Jun 2012, 20:25
Just seen G-DAJB AT man not sure if it was tech there was a lot of monarch engineers around it on a remote stand.

MKY661
1st Jun 2012, 21:42
On the news now:
Flight from Manchester diverted after stag party reveller sets fire to pal's hair | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1559204_flight-from-manchester-diverted-after-stag-party-reveller-sets-fire-to-pals-hair)

He has been arrested and remains in custody

SCANDIC
1st Jun 2012, 21:51
Are Monarch looking at any other new aircraft to bring in the fleet.

figgi_gsm
1st Jun 2012, 23:32
I think they may need to. G-DAJB has went tech twice in one week. The flight was currently operating Corfu-Edinburgh when it diverted.

revo
1st Jun 2012, 23:51
Does anybody know where the 2 new A320s are coming from that will be based at BHX from 20th July ?

Mr @ Spotty M
2nd Jun 2012, 08:18
The answer to your question is YES, but you will have to wait for more details :mad:, an announcement should not be that far off.

MKY661
2nd Jun 2012, 10:50
I know the 757's go at the end of 2014 although i do remember back in April that one of the cabin crew said it might be earlier. I do know that an A320 and an A300 are going at the end of the year with another A300 going at the end of 2013 and the last two going at the end of 2014. I also think they might get rid of the other two old A320's who are not going at the end of this year (BB and NX)

JackRalston
2nd Jun 2012, 12:54
Finally found an article to back up what a twit this dude was.

Flight from Manchester diverted after stag party reveller sets fire to pal's hair | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1559204_flight-from-manchester-diverted-after-stag-party-reveller-sets-fire-to-pals-hair)

MKY661
2nd Jun 2012, 15:52
I think they may need to. G-DAJB has went tech twice in one week. The flight was currently operating Corfu-Edinburgh when it diverted. It has just taken off from MAN en route to MJT and for some reason is doing numerous circles around DSA

onyxcrowle
2nd Jun 2012, 15:58
Its flying quite low overhead, (12000) Quite loud in fact the usual volume you hear when one has just taken off. OTT Crowle North lincs (8 miles ish from the end of DSA runway 20).
Been circling for what seems like 40 mins or so

JackRalston
2nd Jun 2012, 16:21
Considering MON1874 was suppose to be going at 0640 originally and then they got told 1530...I would be a bit annoyed if this is a big issue now. Not a good day :sad:

MKY661
2nd Jun 2012, 16:23
Heading back to MAN now. MON not having a good day there, couple of other flights badly delayed too.

european130
2nd Jun 2012, 16:23
MON1874 on finals now for 05 at Manchester - i bet there are a lot of unhappy passengers on that flight....

caaardiff
2nd Jun 2012, 17:46
Just tracked an Air Italy 763 operating VCE-BHX on Flight radar. MON having some fleet issues at the moment?

MKY661
2nd Jun 2012, 17:56
Appears so. They also had an Air Finland 757 doing LGW-AGP-LGW today.

european130
2nd Jun 2012, 20:19
I see on Manchesters arrivals board that the inbound MON1875 has a 26 hour 30 min delay - ouch........Nothing on the board showing for the delayed outbound service, only showed MON1874A arriving this afternoon after its aborted first attenmpt to MJT with the comment "Diverted"

harer92
5th Jun 2012, 10:11
Highlights of Monarch's Plan According To Commercial Director:

Monarch are to add 4 more aircraft to their fleet this summer to enable them to operate the new flights from birmingham and what not, with the fleet rising to 38 next summer.

They are also looking at opening a new regional base in the UK next year - LBA?

They are also looking at standardizing their current fleet.

Source: Monarch - @Monarch: Video: Jochen Schnadt, commercial director, on recent expansion at BHX, new base at EMA & winter ski programme Chromeless Video Player (http://t.co/hgFSs7sC)

munrobagger
5th Jun 2012, 10:52
What was the problem on last Fridays Edinburgh / Corfu anyone ?

EZY7117LPL
5th Jun 2012, 11:48
"Highlights of Monarch's Plan According To Commercial Director:

Monarch are to add 4 more aircraft to their fleet this summer to enable them to operate the new flights from birmingham and what not, with the fleet rising to 38 next summer.

They are also looking at opening a new regional base in the UK next year - LBA?

They are also looking at standardizing their current fleet.

Source: Monarch - @Monarch: Video: Jochen Schnadt, commercial director, on recent expansion at BHX, new base at EMA & winter ski programme Chromeless Video Player (http://t.co/hgFSs7sC)"
New Base: I would guess at Leeds Bradford, Bristol or Liverpool as they are trying to be a low cost carrier and these are low cost hubs, especially Liverpool. Bristol or Liverpool would be the most likely I think.

Fleet: My money would be on a full A320 series fleet in the next few years.

They need to scrub up on their punctuality because low cost airlines have the best OTP and monarch just cant compete at the moment.

pug
5th Jun 2012, 12:09
It already is LBA isnt it?

MKY661
5th Jun 2012, 13:18
I dont think that LBA is a base when operations start from there as flights do W patterns into LBA

pug
5th Jun 2012, 13:22
I think its a base from S13 as they will be operating on behalf of Thomson some days.

scotsunflyer
5th Jun 2012, 16:22
Possibly Edinburgh for S13

MKY661
5th Jun 2012, 19:18
That will be a pretty good base actually in my opinion.

AirGuru
5th Jun 2012, 19:55
CWL has been speculated in the last few months too ! Currently unexploited by low-cost based carriers. Depends if MON/ZB wish to compete with FR/EZY 60 miles away in BRS !
My bets are on CWL, LBA or EDI.

The Hypnoboon
6th Jun 2012, 07:30
There was talk, about a year ago, that PIK was to become a base for an unspecified airline (Monarch was the general rumour) but the "quality" management at Prestwick decided to put all the eggs in one basket with Barrhead Travel. Could PIK be on the cards?

StevieW
6th Jun 2012, 12:07
I heard a rumour, about a year ago, that Dunsfold was going to be their next base...

MKY661
8th Jun 2012, 21:51
I know Monarch have 4 aircraft due but does anyone know what type they are and where they are coming from?

Tight Seat
8th Jun 2012, 22:39
They will be Airbus. The talk is 320s , one more from TC and 2 fresh from Airbus. We may see an order for quite a few Airbus in the near future , all new.

MKY661
8th Jun 2012, 22:49
If you do order some then i reckon it will be a mix of A320's and A321's :)

TCX69
8th Jun 2012, 22:55
They need to scrub up on their punctuality because low cost airlines have the best OTP and monarch just cant compete at the moment.

BHX seems to be taking a battering at the moment. 15 hour delay on tonight's inbound from LCA (BU). Titan & Air Italy 737's were both subbed in yesterday & today & there seems to be delays most days, some lengthy ones!

one more from TC

TOM?

MKY661
8th Jun 2012, 22:59
Its usually MAN that has the most delays from what ive seen.

one more from TC

TOM?

The A320 and both the A321's maybe?

nokia
9th Jun 2012, 08:30
I hear that MON have wet leased the Air Explore B734 for the remainder of the Summer.
I guess the programme is either just not working or this is to cover the shortfall when EMA comes on line later in Summer......Spotty M prob in good place to pick this one up.

JackRalston
9th Jun 2012, 10:47
This mornings MON305 to SFB (I believe G-SMAN) that was due to go at 0915 is delayed....heavily! No information available yet to passengers but I've heard they could be kept overnight and go tomorrow instead. There is an issue with the oil in one of the engines apparently....

OliWW
9th Jun 2012, 13:47
Not heard anything about a 734 based at EMA, must be filling in else where to release their airbus

TSR2
9th Jun 2012, 13:55
Based on the 'estimated' arrival time tomorrow, it is running approx.10 hours late which would give a departure at around 19.00 hours.
However next information on departure is at 17.00.

CabinCrewe
9th Jun 2012, 15:29
aaah the dangers of a small fleet long haul charter flight ! reroute with another carrier- eh no, reroute to Travelodge, and take your screaming infants with you. Unlucky.

onyxcrowle
9th Jun 2012, 16:18
Is it my imagination or are Monarch having a lot of faulty aircraft issues at the moment?? Last week there was the linate flight that went tech twice n then ended up over this area burning off fuel to return again . Plus a couple of others . Let's hope monarch don't end up having a nasty accident due to all these issues

wilko81
9th Jun 2012, 16:40
Been waiting as a pax for this flight since 6am. Got our first explanation from Monarch at about 17.25, they report metal has been found in engine oil and a sample has been sent away for examination. Plane is currently parked outside the maintenance building. We still do not know if we are travelling today or not. If not, all local hotels are booked and it is a coach to Liverpool for the night.

TCX69
9th Jun 2012, 16:43
The inbound LCA into BHX is now over 25 hours late := Air Italy B767 I-AIGI was subbed in today to operate to PMI & Germania A319 D-AHIM is being subbed in tomorrow.

Let's hope monarch don't end up having a nasty accident due to all these issues

As far as I know Monarch have an excellent engineering dept. (MAEL) Guess they're just being unlucky at the moment. The charter airlines seems to have their fair share of delays at some time or another!

onyxcrowle
9th Jun 2012, 16:57
The thing is luck isn't enough when it comes to an Airline...
And there are so many other airlines who never seem to have this many issues. I can't recall the last time I saw a thomson for example going faulty.
Mind you there was a Flightradar 7700 alert earlier, A german condor 757-300 was enroute from Duseldorf to Agadir earlier, It ended up landing at Nuremburg.
Now I'm no pilot but his rate of descent must have been extreme as he want from flight level 330 and landed at Nuremburg but when he was at 330 it wasn't that far north at all. Im guessing it was some kind of technical issue.
The distance when it came through on the app was so close I though he would carry on further south.

wilko81
9th Jun 2012, 16:57
Latest news is mon305 is departing at 20:00

wilko81
9th Jun 2012, 17:02
There was a technical problem with a thomson flight here at manchester this morning. Onky a short delay though

im going in
9th Jun 2012, 17:16
Onyxcrowie
How do you know TOM don't have tech problems? They have the luxury of standby aircraft and the ability to protect their programme in the event of tech issues.
Flightrider 7700 doesn't tell you everything.

caaardiff
9th Jun 2012, 17:18
Every airline has delays, and they seem to all come all at once. Thomson had a terrible start to the season this time last year, especially at CWL.

AirGuru
9th Jun 2012, 17:19
As you say, a lot of the charter companies are having tech issues at the moment. It just effects Monarch more due to the tightly packed schedule they have short haul, and the fact that they only have 2 330's for long haul does not give much cover there either.
At CWL the other day, a TOM inbound from AYT was delayed for over 28 hours, and yesterday i think a TCX went tech for around 6 hours, so it happens to all. As i say its just purely unlucky and hopefully nothing bad will happen !

onyxcrowle
9th Jun 2012, 18:02
Fair point I guess . Just the Monarch one was unlucky enough to make the news last week . And now with this other one seems a bad couple of weeks .

Wardie73
9th Jun 2012, 18:09
Thompson 757 AOG at MAEL last week.... (Flaps) ...just saying :rolleyes::ok:

CabinCrewe
9th Jun 2012, 18:13
Why does Thomson always gain an extra P ? :confused:

Wardie73
9th Jun 2012, 18:18
I stand corrected :D But the fact remains Thom(p)son 757 AOG last week. ;)

AirGuru
9th Jun 2012, 18:28
Thomson always seems to get a 'P', not sure why ?
I think the affected aircraft was G-BYAT which is now operating up at MAN.

JackRalston
9th Jun 2012, 20:05
MON305 finally on its way, airborne at 2031. :ok:

Chidken Sangwich
10th Jun 2012, 15:02
Monarch - the new Caledonian...

Egon Maybach
12th Jun 2012, 13:58
The future's a 21 year old Slovakian 734:} punters will like that

TSR2
12th Jun 2012, 14:21
Monarch - the new Caledonian...

Don't understand. Care to elaborate.

Joe Curry
12th Jun 2012, 15:11
Possibly Edinburgh for S13

Makes sense given they would be virtually unopposed from High Street travel trade competition.

CabinCrewe
12th Jun 2012, 15:46
Not sure I understand ? Care to elaborate...

Joe Curry
12th Jun 2012, 16:45
Not sure I understand ? Care to elaborate...

An imbalance of flights/packages exist between Central Scotland's airports.
In fact an EDI deal in High Street tour operator's windows is rarer than Hen's
teeth. Any competition from EDI would therefore hardly be fruitless..unless
you believe the hype that folk actually enjoy passing EDI's front door.

CabinCrewe
12th Jun 2012, 18:17
Surely tour operators are not silly enough (over the past 20 years) to be ignoring the simple philosophy of supply and demand ? :rolleyes:

Joe Curry
12th Jun 2012, 19:26
Surely tour operators are not silly enough (over the past 20 years) to be ignoring the simple philosophy of supply and demand ?

Supply and demand from airports monopoly owned? It was obvious which central Scotland airport tour operators and their fleets were steered toward.
Hopefully EDI can now compete under new ownership.

Flightrider
12th Jun 2012, 21:02
Joe - I can tell you know that there was no active prioritisation of charter business to GLA, schedules to EDI under BAA ownership. The charges and deals were similar at both. The fact that GLA has 6 x based charter aircraft versus 1 x EDI (and both have strong LCC presence with easyJet and now Jet2 at both, Ryanair at EDI) is driven by demand and yields, not airport pricing.

Joe Curry
12th Jun 2012, 21:19
not airport pricing.

Pricing does not come into it, an owner of two Central Scotland airports can
say yes or no or highlight suitable stabling and infrastructure that would influence tour operators decisions. Surely 40 miles of the M8 would offer
identical opportunities, the monopoly owner could influence any of the above. Thankfully separate ownerships will ensure both central Scotland airports can now compete on a level playing field.

CabinCrewe
12th Jun 2012, 21:19
oh no, here we go again. Doesn't this get embarrassing?

Joe Curry
12th Jun 2012, 21:21
Doesn't this get embarrassing?

For whom?..

Skipness One Echo
12th Jun 2012, 21:41
Supply and demand from airports monopoly owned? It was obvious which central Scotland airport tour operators and their fleets were steered toward. Hopefully EDI can now compete under new ownership.

It was also obvious which airport got all the legacy European carriers with proper connections whereas GLA struggled to keep hold of easyJet. Do you see Air France, SN Brussels, Lufthansa or Swiss at Glasgow?

Joe Curry
12th Jun 2012, 22:03
It was also obvious which airport got all the legacy European carriers with proper connections whereas GLA struggled to keep hold of easyJet. Do you see Air France, SN Brussels, Lufthansa or Swiss at Glasgow?

Exactly my point... The competition Commission were correct to enforce the sale of one central Scotland airport.

Flightrider
12th Jun 2012, 22:17
So fast forward five years and you'll see no real difference in the number of charter airlines at Edinburgh and the number of legacy carriers at Glasgow. They went were the demand for their respective services can best be found, irrespective of the airport owner. The type of behaviour you're inferring went out 10 or 15 years ago - it certainly hasn't been a feature of latter-day BAA activity.

TSR2
12th Jun 2012, 23:01
I thought this was the 'Monarch' thread.

Joe Curry
13th Jun 2012, 07:21
The type of behaviour you're inferring went out 10 or 15 years ago

Monarch might test the water - along with the tour operators - under GIP's
'watch'...

SCANDIC
17th Jun 2012, 15:13
How about Monarch taking some of the First Choice 767's, on jethros website it says they are to be withdrawn from use winter 12/13, plus some of their 757's are to be as well.

Buster the Bear
17th Jun 2012, 16:21
Monarch moving out of long-haul, thus the cancellation of the B787 orders. A330 x2 will operate for a good while though.

Mr @ Spotty M
17th Jun 2012, 17:07
When is the penny going to drop, Monarch are finished with wide body a/c, the A330s are only going to be around until a final decision is made on long haul operations.
Wide body does not fit into Monarch Scheduled operation, yes they are handy for the summer, but useless in the winter months.

SCANDIC
17th Jun 2012, 19:08
Maybe a short lease would be handy. Monarch aren't going to get any brand new aircraft anytime soon.

walterthesofty
17th Jun 2012, 19:36
Would not be surprised if MON hang onto the 330,s hear they may be coming in very handy later this year as they did over the winter.

Mr @ Spotty M
17th Jun 2012, 20:44
New aircraft any time soon?
When does your any time soon run out?

OltonPete
17th Jun 2012, 21:07
Maybe not brand new but I certainly hope there will be a couple new to the fleet by the third week in July as BHX needs two more :confused:

Are these two aircraft going to be staying or a wet or dry-lease to cover until the end of summer season?

Monarch are certainly making use of the Air Finland Boeing 757, it has operated all weekend at BHX.

Mr @ Spotty M
17th Jun 2012, 21:33
Monarch will not be adding any aircraft to its own fleet until this winter.
However that does not say additional aircraft will not be operating on Monarchs behalf, before then.

renort
18th Jun 2012, 15:34
Monarch strengthens leadership team

18 June 2012 (http://www.e-tid.com/monarch-strengthens-leadership-team/)
The Monarch Group has appointed aviation industry veterans Sir Roy McNulty and Austin Reid as non-executive directors.
Richard Roth also joins the group as director of performance management and turnaround from today [18 June] in support of group finance director Robert Palmer.
Sir Roy is currently deputy chairman of the Olympic Delivery Authority and has been chair of regional development agency Advantage West Midlands since 2009.
He is also a non-executive director of Gatwick. He was executive chairman of National Air Traffic Services from 1999 to 2001 and subsequently chairman of the Civil Aviation Authority from 2001 to 2009.
He was chief executive and chairman of Short Brothers plc, before its takeover by Bombardier.
Reid was ‘one of the architects’ of bmi British Midland, said Monarch in a statement. He served from 1985 as bmi finance director, and was managing director and chief executive from 1995 to 2005.
He is currently a non-executive director of SR Technics, an airline technology business.
Roth has wide management experience in a variety of financial commercial and operation areas including in the last 13 years in the airline industry, with six years at easyJet.
Recently he has been chief financial officer of Royal Jet, the luxury private jet operator based in Abu Dhabi.
Iain Rawlinson, executive chairman of the group, said: ‘These appointments significantly strengthen the governance and leadership team of Monarch, as we continue to modernise the group, execute our turnaround plan and lay the foundations for the next phase of development.
‘We remain on target operationally and financially and are focused on unlocking the value and commercial opportunities from our ownership of strong and established travel brands and supporting businesses.’

Monarch strengthens leadership team | e-tid (http://www.e-tid.com/monarch-strengthens-leadership-team/)