PDA

View Full Version : LEEDS 5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12

ILS32
19th Nov 2011, 11:09
lbalad
This is not a new scheme.There is supposed to be a free bus which runs from the car park to the terminal.When I flew in last Sunday nothing had started yet.Project still in final planning stage,should be starting soon The plans were on the Leeds Planning Dept web sight, they might still be there.

jabird
20th Nov 2011, 04:14
Why start a new route, and then fly into a different airport the next rotation?

I know BER is evolving from the same SXF site, but isn't this going to cause needless confusion?

Runway 32/14
27th Nov 2011, 19:14
Does anyone know why PK776 departed 3 hours late last night!!:confused:

AP1995
27th Nov 2011, 20:24
this morning on the webcam aircaft was not facing towards the termial bulding building but was facing towards the webcam, does anybody know why this is?

flybar
27th Nov 2011, 20:32
Wind direction!!

mcsowden
28th Nov 2011, 20:51
Hi there

Apparently i heard from a servisair worker at the aviation academy that the PIA B777-2 will be flying in on Saturday 10th December. This is due to come in with passengers onboard with no test run.

LBIA
29th Nov 2011, 16:07
Hi there

Apparently i heard from a servisair worker at the aviation academy that the PIA B777-2 will be flying in on Saturday 10th December. This is due to come in with passengers onboard with no test run.

If the rumour is true that PIA are upgrading to the Boeing 777 soon then I understand that the Islamabad - Leeds service will be operated via Athens in both directions instead of been direct....

Runway 32/14
29th Nov 2011, 16:19
If the rumour is true that PIA are upgrading to the Boeing 777 soon then I understand that the Islamabad - Leeds service will be operated via Athens in both directions instead of been direct....

Why would it no longer be a direct flight!!! the T7-200 is more than capable of doing a direct flight between Leeds and Islamabad......

HOODED
29th Nov 2011, 17:22
Much larger ac- split load?

sunshine79
29th Nov 2011, 17:40
Will they be selling LBA-ATH?

LBIA
29th Nov 2011, 18:10
100% correct Hooded..

A reduced fuel load out of LBA will assist the Boeing 777 in using LBA's short runway with a much heaver load so to get some cargo uplifted. Also the addition of the ATH stop should help put more pax on the larger aircraft to/from ISB..

I had heard that they have been wanting to open a ATH - ISB route for a while. But I don't know if they will be allowed to carry pax between LBA - ATH. I guess that would be down to if they have traffic rights or not?

speedbird9274
29th Nov 2011, 19:58
will the arrival-departure times be amended for the 777 service

commit aviation
29th Nov 2011, 20:09
I would imagine that will depend on the availability of the 777 & fitting it around the rest of its flying programme.
As ever, when it finally appears over the threshold is the time to believe!
I truly hope it happens but there have been many false dawns on this topic over the past few years.

HOODED
1st Dec 2011, 19:57
Given PIA operate 772ER 772LR and 773ER I assume they intend to use just the -200s out of LBA. PIAs website shows the LR with 310 seats in 3 class whist the ERs hold 329 in 3 class. Also the LRs show as having the GE90-115B rated at 110000lbs of thrust but the ERs are GE90-94B at 94000lbs.

It would make sense therefore to use the higher powered LRs ex LBA but given the ATH stop I can only assume they are looking at using the ERs.

So are they hedging their bets so they can use both or do they think they couldn't fill a -200LR ex LBA anyway? They were regularly filling the A310 at 184 seats and at one point went 3 weekly before the noise issue on late flights made them reduce back to 2 per week.

LBIA
5th Dec 2011, 11:11
Hi

I now understand that PIA’s London based manager is coming up to Leeds on Saturday to over-see the first Boeing 777-200ER operation.

Runway 32/14
5th Dec 2011, 22:15
I now understand that PIA’s London based manager is coming up to Leeds on Saturday to over-see the first Boeing 777-200ER operation

I heard the same thing too!! and apparently the aircraft that's coming to Leeds
will be AP-BHX

LBIA
6th Dec 2011, 10:49
Good news

The long awaited works on the terminal building and new covered walkway down the apron have been officially announced this morning by the airport. Works are due to commence shortly and will be finished in time for the peak summer 2012 season. Bridgepoint Capital are investing £11 million on the development.

See full press release here:

Airport Development (http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/about-the-airport/airport-development-2011)

INKJET
6th Dec 2011, 11:11
Looks really spacious and light, especially when the artists drawings only show four people in it! Still any improvement is welcome

Runway 32/14
7th Dec 2011, 08:49
They appear to be doing rather a lot with this £11m budget, seems rather cheap to me, not sure how they will do all they have promised with that small amount!!!:confused:

ILS32
7th Dec 2011, 10:03
Is the covered walkway finishing at stand 12? I assume the rest of the stands bused as normal.The video certainly shows the increase in space compared to what we have know.Until the extensions are complete there is know way of knowing if the passenger experience will improve.I hope it will because the last 2 years its been going down hill very fast.I will have 4 flights booked about the time the project is finished so am looking forward to the experience.

Mr Mac
7th Dec 2011, 10:04
Would say £11m even in this market will not stretch too far. Also was there not talk of £29m of works last year which I do not beleive has started yet. Talk / publicity cheap - building expensive. Also does not current airport director have 2yrs to go on contract with a remit to get LBA to 5m passengers PA. To do this they appear to be "buying" passenger numbers as their accounts do not look that healthy. Could it be get to the magic 5m and sell. Sorry just a bit cynical these days.

HOODED
8th Dec 2011, 10:43
Any more news on the alleged first PIA 777 on Saturday?? :}

Runway 32/14
8th Dec 2011, 10:59
Is the covered walkway finishing at stand 12?

ILS32 ... As far as i am aware the new walk way is up to stand 14, then i guess it 's buses for everything else!!!!

LBIA
8th Dec 2011, 12:08
Any more news on the alleged first PIA 777 on Saturday??

Hooded it looks like its been cancelled.

The spare aircraft, Boeing 777-200ER, AP-BHX that was due to come to Leeds on Saturday has had to go back into normal service. This is due to another Boeing 777-200ER, AP-BGL been in a bird strike incident while it was taking of from Khatmandu for karachi by all accounts.

lbalad
8th Dec 2011, 12:59
Just seen on the airport website an extra flight on a Friday with Balkan holidays for next summer.

LBIA
8th Dec 2011, 13:22
Just seen on the airport website an extra flight on a Friday with Balkan holidays for next summer.

It’s not an Extra flight, but its extra capacity been added by Balkan Holidays.

As I understand that it’s just the existing summer Sunday, Balkan Holidays Air, Airbus A320's flights to Bourgas that has been re-scheduled for next summer to a Friday evening.
The service will now operate direct from and to Leeds/Bradford instead of operating outbound via Humberside, like it has done for the past couple of years.

delta154
9th Dec 2011, 12:20
Jet2 will shortly be announcing LBA-BUD.

Quite a good niche route for LBA!

LBIA
9th Dec 2011, 13:41
It sure dose look like that Jet2 will be flying from Leeds to Budapest 2x weekly on Thursday and Sundays using Boeing 737-300's with flights commencing from March 28th, 2012.

The route is now on sale on the airlines website, but it has not been officially announced yet on either the airline or airport websites.

Thursdays
LBA 08:30 BUD 12:30 LS431
BUD 13:05 LBA 15:05 LS432
Sundays
LBA 15:30 BUD 19:30 LS431
BUD 20:05 LBA 22:05 LS432

Runway 32/14
10th Dec 2011, 12:16
The route is now on the LBIA website

Runway 32/14
11th Dec 2011, 11:17
I know this isn't a Newcastle Airport forum, but i just wonder if anyone had heard about N'castle getting Florida flights for next summer, could this be damaging to any possible new routes to the USA from Leeds!!! as i am aware the LBA have claimed they want a direct route to the US, but these things never seem to happen at Leeds!! maybe they never will..

Newcastle Airport gets Orlando flights : Newcastle Airport News Stories (http://www.uk-airport-news.info/newcastle-airport-news-091211.html)

Runway 32/14
15th Dec 2011, 10:56
I see easyjet have reinstated the Geneva flights for the winter, it looks like the first easyjet aircraft will be EZY7346 and is due in to LBA at 12.20 today...

SWBKCB
15th Dec 2011, 16:38
NCL already had SFB flights with TOM, the MON flights are additional.

Skipness One Echo
19th Dec 2011, 15:08
Hey guys, can anyone advise when BMI dropped Copenhagen?

Malaga
19th Dec 2011, 19:27
About 1/3/2009 is what I have listed, but could be slightly out!

Malaga

commit aviation
29th Dec 2011, 13:30
A number of interesting press pieces over the festive period regarding LBIA, some good & some less so:

1)
Leeds Bradford Airport has insisted that increasing losses are ‘as per business plan’, the Yorkshire Evening Post reports. The private equity-owned airport blamed the £10.7m loss on disruption from Icelandic ash clouds and adverse weather and planned extra costs from its investment programme. The previous year the airport made a loss of £4.4m. Revenue increased 5.3 percent to £21m during the year ending March 2011 and passenger were up by 10.9 percent due to extra capacity.

2)
With passenger numbers around the 3 million mark, 2011 has been another great year for Leeds Bradford Airport, the Telegraph & Argus reports. But rather than resting on his laurels, chief executive John Parkin is driving forward with ambitious plans to make sure next year is as good, if not better.
The airport has seen passenger numbers increase by around 13 percent in the last year as more routes and investments by airlines have been backed up by a £28 million redevelopment of the terminal. It is the fastest-growing regional airport in the country and was the 16th busiest passenger airport in the UK.
The next stage of the development is under way, with an £11 million project to transform the terminal and improve the passenger experience. This should see passenger numbers up again in 2012, with the target of 5 million by 2016 in sight.

3)
Leeds Bradford Airport has been fined £45,000 after admitting releasing potentially harmful surface water into a nearby beck. The airport appeared before a district judge at Leeds magistrates court and admitted four charges of breaching its Discharge Consent and one charge of causing pollution to enter Scotland Beck, Yeadon.

Also on the plus side a more general piece in the "Torygraph" about regional airports doubling in size by 2050....

So as its the end of the year, what do we think the future holds for LBA?

Picking through the PR hype, I'd have said 2011 wasn't a bad year overall but losses on the increase & a tough economic outlook - it's going to be hard going for aviation for a few years yet. Here's hoping Bridgepoint have deep enough pockets to last through the next few years. If they can I reckon the medium term outlook for shorthaul point to point routes is rosy.

N707ZS
29th Dec 2011, 14:19
A lot of talk but the word LOSS is followed by some large figures.

LEEDS APPROACH
29th Dec 2011, 15:29
Continuing to spend money on airport infrastructure and route creation / passenger growth during a deep recession will usually lead to financial loss in the short term. Once a certain core amount of passengers are flowing through the airport year on year spending money in retail outlets and in parking etc then losses will turn into profits. This is the mid to long term plan that the airport has.

Spending nothing on airports to better infrastructure and to increase connectivity will also lead to financial loss but also could lead to the complete demise of the airport. This is a very real risk at durham tees valley.

Which would you prefer - November seven zero seven zulu sierra?

Runway 32/14
14th Jan 2012, 15:01
Any idea why tonight flight from Islamabad is 5 hours late!!
does that mean there will be complaints regarding noise when PK776 departs after 11pm tonight!!!!???

SWBKCB
14th Jan 2012, 16:03
The private equity-owned airport blamed the £10.7m loss on disruption from Icelandic ash clouds and adverse weather and planned extra costs from its investment programme. The previous year the airport made a loss of £4.4m. Revenue increased 5.3 percent to £21m during the year ending March 2011

Am I reading that right - £10.7m loss on £21m turnover? :eek:

commit aviation
14th Jan 2012, 16:53
Re PIA:
Officially it can't leave after 23:00 due to the noise restrictions in (I think) the s106 agreement. However I have no doubt some appropriate senior manager / director will give their blessing & it will operate regardless! Otherwise it would go to MAN resulting in loss of revenue (& loss of face.) Of course if only those nice peeps at PIA would ditch the pesky A310 & operate a 777 the there wouldn't be any of these shenanigans.
Should I continue holding my breath?? Starting to turn blue now! :sad:

LBIA
16th Jan 2012, 21:03
Good news to hear that the Leeds/Bradford - Knock route has been saved after ryanair recently axed it after finding the Boeing 737-800's were a bit to big to fill..

It looks as though flybe are all set to announce the route tomorrow operating 3x weekly over the summer months with flights commencing from May 5th using Dash 8-Q400's...

LEEDS APPROACH
16th Jan 2012, 21:13
If they're giving Knock a go at 3 a week why not give Cork a go at 3 a week too?

Runway 32/14
17th Jan 2012, 14:58
It's official..

Flybe Announces Brand New Route from Leeds Bradford to Knock (http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/about-the-airport/news/2012-01-17-flybe-knock)

mcsowden
19th Jan 2012, 00:28
I wounder where the flybe aircraft is coming from, to get from Knock to Leeds, as flybe have no base in Knock and the flight from Knock to Leeds is first before Leeds to Knock.

EI-BUD
19th Jan 2012, 06:59
Doesnt seem to be apparent from the website where the aircraft is coming from but it would seem that it goes Knock- Leeds - Knock rather than Leeds- Knock - Leeds. So one of 2 possibilities, EDI or MAN times changed about OR Knock gets yet another route that will go on to LBA??

Knock does seem to be on a roll with new routes, maybe BE will do BHX NOC in anticipation of WW changes!

EI-BUD

FR-
19th Jan 2012, 07:21
Do you really think BE will start BHX-NOC with FR up the road doing EMA-NOC every day, FR is running it everyday to push WW off the route down at BHX.

fr-

DannyKelly22
19th Jan 2012, 11:24
i would think that the aircraft will either route

man-noc-lba-noc-man
or
edi-noc-lba-noc-edi.

makes sense, unless another route gets added to knock, which i see very doubtful.

POL1W
19th Jan 2012, 12:32
Just announced by LBIA, is FR's 27th route from Leeds to Barcelona Reus, along with their 4 millionth passenger from LBA.
Ryanair adds Twenty-Seventh Leeds Bradford Route to Barcelona as it welcomes its four millionth Leeds Bradford Passenger (http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/about-the-airport/news/2012-01-19-ryanair-reus)

EI-BUD
19th Jan 2012, 18:33
Do you really think BE will start BHX-NOC with FR up the road doing EMA-NOC every day, FR is running it everyday to push WW off the route down at BHX.

fr- I dont think that FR being at EMA would bother BE too much. If WW vacate the route I could see BE being very interested. BE filled WW's shoes at MAN when FR were down the road at LPL (albeit not quite as close).

FR dont seem to challenge BE, and FR's Bournemouth operation hasn't been much of a challenge to BE. BE can compete very effectively with Ryanair in thin markets, with low break evens on Dash 8 Q400's yes I could see BE starting BHX. Given that NOC is getting a 3rd route from BE shows that BE (despite its own challenges) are quite serious about becoming well known in the west of Ireland, and in Waterford too.

EI-BUD

TSR2
19th Jan 2012, 19:21
Rumour has it that the 4 millionth passenger was offered a bottle of Champagne by Ryanair but declined on the grounds that it was too expensive ;)

commit aviation
19th Feb 2012, 12:00
Reading on the ABZ thread about changes to the FlyBe programme which having looked on the Flybe website appear to affect LBA.
ABZ service withdrawn from the beginning of summer season.
EXT service will become daily except Sa
SOU service maintains winter service pattern (2 a day M/Tu, 3 a day W/Th/F, 1 flight Sa/Su)

No big impact overall: ABZ still well served by Eastern & a modest increase on EXT with day returns to SOU still possible on weekdays. A sign of the difficult economic times continuing.

mcsowden
13th Mar 2012, 20:13
Reading on the Leeds Bradford Airport Wiki, it says that for PIA that due to the retirement of the A310 and possible EU ban of the A310 that they will move operations to Doncaster in May. I wonder is this true and if it is would it be the 777

pug
13th Mar 2012, 20:23
Anyone can edit info on wiki, there seems to be alot of that going on regarding routes and DSA on there recently. Perhaps a bit of wishful thinking?

OltonPete
13th Mar 2012, 21:10
mcsowden

They might be getting rid of a few aircraft but they have actually bought six of their current A310's off the leasing company.

History of PIA - Forum :: View topic - PIA Purchases Six Leased Airbus A310-300 Aircraft (http://www.historyofpia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20107)

If the service is profitable then it should be okay although the EU threat is still on the horizon if things are not sorted out but the political fallout from a complete ban, rather than like last time a partial ban hopefully, will focus minds in a positive way.

Pete

mcsowden
13th Mar 2012, 21:29
Leeds have spent a large amount of money in the preparation of the 777, so they would be messing Leeds around if they move. Also if they moved they would loose money as passengers come mainly from the bradford community, so they would not go to Doncaster over Manchester.

lagerlout
13th Mar 2012, 21:43
what money has LBA spent on getting ready for the 777

mcsowden
13th Mar 2012, 21:48
The airport together with servisair have imported luggage trolleys for the 777, they have altered the apron so the it is tighter and more compact, also they have done some new runway maintenance on the strength of the concrete

crewmeal
14th Mar 2012, 06:26
They'll have wasted their money if PIA can't sort out their engineering problems. Even with reasonably new B777's they f*** up the maintenance.

Pia Again Faces Eu Ban Threat - Pakistani Aviation Forum (http://www.pakistaniaviationforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4827)

Teevee
14th Mar 2012, 14:50
Just to point out that even us seasoned DSA fans don't believe all the latest Wiki rubbish:rolleyes:... though it is nice that someone is troliing about stuff coming TO DSA instead of leaving it.;) I think the only thing LBA has to worry about is PIA mucking the whole thing up themselves!

Runway 32/14
26th Mar 2012, 20:12
Thomson Airways Announces Expansion from Leeds Bradford Airport (http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/about-the-airport/news/2012-03-26-tui-sharm)

Runway 32/14
12th Apr 2012, 19:09
Did anyone see the Sentry E3-D flying low over Leeds this morning!!
She came across low and with wheels down!! did she land at LBIA ??

LBIA
12th Apr 2012, 19:37
The RAF Boeing E-3D Sentry, ZH103 was the said aircraft that visited LBA this morning, It did 2 missed approaches onto runway 32 and didn't land.

Its visit to LBA may have been tied into Europe's biggest military training exercise which is taking place over North Yorkshire and the North Sea for the next few days.

binsleepen
12th Apr 2012, 20:08
Hi,

The E-3 can only carry out training approaches at airfields that have a crash cat the equivalent of Military 3A or 4 (depending on crew on board). These are becoming quite rare in the RAF with base closures.

The E-3s have been going to 'civvie' airfields for years for training instrument approaches (particularly NDB and VOR/DME). Cost is critical however so they go to whoever gives the best deal. This has usually been Newcastle, E.Midlands and Prestwick in the recent past, but can sometimes be down to a negotiation on the phone between the Capt and ATC on the day.

chaps2011
13th Apr 2012, 08:12
Also depends on traffic at the time, MAN also get them sometimes

Ian

LBIA
17th Apr 2012, 15:51
Its just been announced that bmi regional is withdrawing its long severing Leeds/Bradford to Glasgow service on Friday, May 4th. The route is currently operate 2x daily with Embrear 135 aircraft.

Loganair steps in to guarantee vital air link between Scotland and West Yorkshire (http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/about-the-airport/news/2012-04-flybe-glasgow)

The good news is that flybe, franchise Loganair has just confirmed that its going to step and and save the link. The airline will continue to operate the service 2x daily with Saab 340 aircraft with flights commencing from Tuesday, May 8th. Loganair has also said that they will introduce a Sunday evening service from September 2nd.

I wonder what will now happen with bmi regional's 2 other routes from Leeds to Brussels and Edinburgh with it having an uncertain future?

nef
17th Apr 2012, 16:03
As far as I understood it was both EDI and GLA getting canned, although I've not seen that officially. I don't see why they'd keep EDI if GLA is getting pulled, as it would appear the loads on the EDI route were much worse!

mcsowden
17th Apr 2012, 16:21
I wonder is the BMI route to brussels being cancelled as well as this route is busy and the aircraft is based here

mcsowden
17th Apr 2012, 16:29
i see that on the BMI website the LBA Edinburgh route is also being withdrawn on the 27 April 2012

DB6
17th Apr 2012, 16:47
Press Office :: Loganair steps in to guarantee Glasgow-Leeds Bradford route - Loganair (http://www.loganair.co.uk/loganair/press-office/147/loganair-steps-in-to-guarantee-glasgow-leeds-bradford-route)

LBIA
20th Apr 2012, 10:20
The LBA passenger stats for March 2012 have been released. They look quite good and surely they will hit the 3 million this summer with figures like these?

March 2012 Figures:

Month = 189,399 +6.2%
Rolling Year = 2,931,979 +4.8%

LBIA
25th Apr 2012, 19:21
Rumour has it Thomson Holidays will be enhancing there profile from LBA for summer 2013 using Monarch Airlines.

LBIA
26th Apr 2012, 08:57
Well the Monarch rumours are now more.

It has been confirmed this morning that Monarch Airlines will be part basing an aircraft (Monday to Thursday) operating charter flights for Thomson Holidays next summer 2013 as they have announced 4 new services to Enfidha-Tunisia, Sharm El Sheikh-Egypt, Paphos-Cyprus & Dalaman-Turkey.

MON = LBA 1000 DLM 1615 DLM 1715 LBA 1945
TUE = LBA 0700 PMI 1035 PMI 1135 MME 1325 MME 1455 PMI 1835 PMI 1935 LBA 2115
WED = LBA 0600 EFD 0925 EFD 1025 LBA 1350 LBA 1520 PFO 2200 PFO 2315 LBA 0215
THU = LBA 1000 SSH 1625 SSH 1725 LBA 2215

Meanwhile Thomson Airways will continue to operate the weekly Corfu flights on Fridays with there own aircraft.

FRI = CFU 13:00 LBA 14:30 LBA 15:45 CFU 21:00

chaps2011
26th Apr 2012, 09:04
So good you got to tell us twice lol!

Ian

MANTFS
26th Apr 2012, 09:10
I wonder if the aircraft will remain there all week with the start of some ZB's on the free dates?

LBIA
26th Apr 2012, 09:39
Anyone know what aircraft type Monarch will be basing at LBA next summer to operate these charters for Thomson Holidays?

sam1993
26th Apr 2012, 23:44
I wonder if the aircraft will remain there all week with the start of some ZB's on the free dates?

I wonder perhaps, if this may be the aircraft that operates Fri-Sun in Ireland that will be based at Leeds for the first half of the week?

mcsowden
27th Apr 2012, 09:45
On the Thomson website for the timetables to these destination it shows MON flight numbers not ZB as ZB is monarchs scheduled so mostly 757 are used on monarch charters

LBIA
27th Apr 2012, 22:48
What aircraft type do Monarch currently base at Cork over the weekend?

As this will be the said aircraft that will be shared between Leeds (MON-THU) & Cork (FRI-SUN) next summer 2013.

PPRuNeUser0176
28th Apr 2012, 01:22
A320 will be at Cork. As far as I know its not confirmed if they will fly from ORK next summer. They could be back in DUB or anything. Can an A320 make LBA to SSH. MAN flights are donw with an A321/757.

As the A320 also operates from ORK on Thursdays this summer if the same was to happen in 2013 they may send an A321 from MAN to do SSH.

nokia
28th Apr 2012, 08:28
No one over the years has made the 320 work on SSH off the ski slope.....
Even with 174 seats it would be tough to guarantee on a regular basis.

Most recently it has been TUI B738 or before that the LS 757.

It could of course always be an Egyptian carrier in reverse , but doubt that in current environment.

AP1995
28th Apr 2012, 08:49
surely due to operation reasons it wont be a A321?

Jet2LBA
28th Apr 2012, 09:23
MON A300 would probably make it. :}

mcsowden
1st May 2012, 19:01
I wounder what is happening with Thomson as 757 came today and air Europa was suppose to be doing it so will it be a 757 or air Europa next Tuesday

LBIA
1st May 2012, 19:21
The Thomson Holidays, Tuesday Palma charter flight is split to be operated by Thomson Airways, Boeing 757-200 from May 1st till June 12th and from October 9th until October 30th.

In between them dates June 19th until October 2nd flights will be operated by Air Europa's Boeing 737-800's as follows.

01 May 12-12 Jun 12 & 09 Oct 12-30 Oct 12
TOM3251 = PMI 10:50 - LBA 12:30
TOM3250 = LBA 14:05 - PMI 17:40

19 Jun 12-02 Oct 12
AEA293 = PMI 12:45 - LBA 14:34
AEA294 = LBA 15:25 - PMI 19:00

veetwo
1st May 2012, 21:12
Rumour mill suggesting BA may be starting LHR-LBA winter 12 as a slot warmer. Watch this space.

johnnychips
1st May 2012, 22:36
a slot warmer

Is that something to keep the slot used until they find something more profitable to do with it?

pug
1st May 2012, 22:47
Apparantly it will be keeping slots 'warm' until BA get their increased long haul fleet in winter 13.

Flightrider
1st May 2012, 23:26
If BA wanted to keep slots warm at Heathrow in the short term, they would simply operate them on existing routes by flying extra frequencies on the likes of MAN/EDI/GLA/ABZ/NCL/BRU/CDG/BHD-LHR for the defined period rather than starting a new route to Leeds Bradford. BA would also not start LBA/LHR in the certain knowledge that they would be pulling off 18 months later to incur a shedload of bad press in the Yorkshire region, questions in Parliament about ringfencing of slots at LHR for regional UK air links etc etc. Why on earth would you?

If they start LBA-LHR, it would be because there is a business reason to do so - e.g. due to the value of new feeder traffic ex LBA which they could get on LHR services, whereas direct competition ex MAN from the likes of Continental, Emirates etc makes MAN/LHR increasingly less valuable as a feeder. If the route gets off the ground, it's because BA see merit in flying it in its own right versus using those LHR slots (today, tomorrow or in 18 months time) to fly something else.

Quite why BMI pulled off LBA-LHR to continue losing money on MAN-LHR - where the average fares were about half those on LBA-LHR - is anybody's guess to begin with.

It will be an interesting one to watch if BA do decide to reinstate LBA/LHR - last flown in 1980, if I recall correctly. I genuinely don't know whether there is any substance or not to these rumours, but the notion of this being a short-term slot sitting exercise is as unrealistic in commercial terms as it would be damaging to the consumer confidence in the route if indeed it does materialise.

pug
1st May 2012, 23:37
I would have thought so too flightrider, but apparantly that is whats happening, if it happens.

Tagron
2nd May 2012, 11:42
I consider it totally credible that BA are considering re-instating LHR-LBA. They have a large number of slots they need to protect at LHR and they need to do that in the way they consider will produce the best commercial results, given the constraints of those slots.

The period BA needs to protect will stretch far beyond 13 months. Let's not forget that a longhaul aircraft can only use one slot pair per day. and some slot pairs will be unsuitable for the required longhaul.routes. Planned deliveries of new longhaul aircraft are gradual, only a few extra airframes for 2013 . BA will not want to throw capacity at longhaul if it risks trashing their yields. Expansion will be measured and take place over many years.

BA may well take the view they have sufficient frequencies and capacity already on existing shorthaul routes. Some or all of BMI’s LHR-MAN slots could transfer straight across to LHR-LBA and larger aircraft deployed on LHR-MAN to compensate for a perceived capacity shortfall..

Then there is that BA statement in FT.com last week announcing the departure of Digby Jones due to possible conflicts of interest with his new post at Flybe:

“We’re keen to strengthen our regional network in the UK,” said a BA spokesman last week,referring to routes between London and the regions.

A misquote, or a U-turn ? My guess is that BA are looking hard at the commercial implications. Presumably there will be competing interests for resources within BA and I would not pretend to know the outcome.

LBIA
4th May 2012, 15:27
New rumour going around LBA this afternoon is that an airline will be announcing more than 1 new route on Tuesday, May 8th.

sam1993
4th May 2012, 16:01
Could this be anything to do with the news that Monarch will announce several new routes next Tuesday?

pwalhx
4th May 2012, 16:09
Is it going to be Monarch then, as the ZB thread suggests they are making route announcements on Tuesday?

LBIA
4th May 2012, 16:33
Regarding the latest rumour no airline name was mentioned to me. I was just told that there is expected to be some new routes announced on Tuesday, It came for a reliable source.

I see the speculation has already started on here who it might be. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens on Tuesday.

OliWW
4th May 2012, 17:04
Monarch will be announcing a 'full list' of new destinations on Tuesday, but they'd be more related to EMA and BHX where they have introduced a new base, with very few destinations announced, and where they are planning growth also due to bmibaby's demise. They are only at LBA because they are operating for TOM, don't expect too much.

sam1993
4th May 2012, 20:55
MONARCH AIRLINES NEW ROUTES FROM LEEDS BRADFORD:

Munich - 2 weekly (Fri, Sun)
Grenoble - 3 weekly (Mon, Thu, Sat)

Flights begin in time for the Winter 12/13 period.

OltonPete
4th May 2012, 22:18
Munich flights seem to start just before Christmas and seems to be with a Manchester based aircraft on the one day.

Grenoble is offered from BHX but aircraft timings does not tie-in with the Leeds flight but again it appears to be an away based aircraft

Pete

LBIA
8th May 2012, 18:13
Good news that the 2 new routes by Monarch Airlines to Munich and Grenoble have now been confirmed. It also looks like Monarch have further expansion plans for LBA. With further routes to be announced in a few weeks time.

Will these be the summer 2013 charter flights been operated for Thomson Holidays or will it be further scheduled routes?

I see Jet2 are up for a fight. As a few minutes after the Monarch announcement Jet2 announced that they are starting a new once weekly service to Grenoble.

AP1995
8th May 2012, 19:40
the thomson routes have already been announced and are only on sale via thomson, so i presume and hopefully new routes

sam1993
9th May 2012, 16:11
Airlines battle in bid to win winter passengers at Leeds-Bradford International Airport (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus) (http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/business/9694312.Airlines_battle_in_bid_to_win_winter_passengers_at_L eeds_Bradford_International_Airport/)
The news came as Monarch’s deal with the airport was hailed after months of negotiations between the firms. Initially, the airline, which flies almost 90 routes from four other airports across the UK, will start with their ‘ski flights’ to Grenoble and Munich in Germany in December, but has promised a wider range and some new routes to tourist hotspots next summer.

Monarch’s managing director Kevin George said Leeds-Bradford was becoming a “very good regional airport” to fly from and his firm will set up an operational base at the site.

“The launch of scheduled flights from LBA is an exciting move for the airline as it also coincides with the introduction of our first programme of ski flights,” he said.

“We see this as the first step of a long relationship with Leeds-Bradford and in the coming weeks will be the announcement of plans for Summer 2013 which will include Leeds-Bradford. Monarch is all about flying to leisure destinations, like the Mediterranean and the Canaries and they are the kinds of destinations we will be covering.” So it looks like Leeds will become a Monarch base from Summer 2013 with flights to the Med and Canaries.

On another note, with Thomas Cook releasing summer 2013 holidays, I note Leeds Bradford is no longer an option as departure airport. Is this yet to be released or could Monarch effectively be replacing them with the introduction of their scheduled routes from the airport?

LBIA
9th May 2012, 16:40
I have been told that Thomas Cook Holidays do have flights planned from Leeds Bradford for next summer 2013 season, However they said that the programme has not yet been finalised and confirmed, Hence the reason they are not on sale just yet.

BAladdy
11th May 2012, 06:54
IAG the parent company of BA have this morning announced that they plan to reopen the former BD route LHR-LBA. No exact date for the route restarting has been given but it is thought to be from the end of October

IAG - International Airlines Group - News Release (http://www.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=240949&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1695000&highlight=)

giblets
11th May 2012, 08:00
What metal is likely to flying this route? (A319?), or maybe one of their feeder airlines (or would the announcement be about them, not BA?)

Guessing it is mainly for transfer passengers, rather than point to point. Good to see BA bringing back some of the regional routes. Sure I recall flying this on an Emb-145

LBIA
11th May 2012, 11:16
I been informed that British Airways will use Airbus A319's on its the planned 3x daily Heathrow-Leeds service which is likely to commence operation in October from the start of the winter 2012/2013 schedule.

It will utilise some of the ex BD slots that were used for the Manchester service as there is some overlap with BA's service. With roughly same block time it made better sense and use of the slots.

CabinCrewe
11th May 2012, 16:49
slot holder alert !! My prediction- 18 months tops

Jet2LBA
11th May 2012, 18:15
Fantastic news, well done LBA! Never thought we'd see BA back again, particularly with no third runway at LHR.

Large catchment area in West/North Yorkshire will find this extremely useful as an alternative to KLM or the trek to MAN, particularly the many 1-stop US connections which will now become available.

BKS Air Transport
11th May 2012, 18:17
Maybe true, who knows? But then PIA should have gone twelve months ago shouldn't they, CabinCrewe?

leedsman76
11th May 2012, 19:04
Really good news for LBA, I for one will be supporting the route and hopefully it will generate a healthy yield to keep the route going long term.

Not so long ago BMI were operating an A319 on the route with very good loads, and that was without the level of interlining which BA can offer. Access into the one-world alliance from LBA is a great addition to the airport. One very pleased traveller here :)

BKS Air Transport
12th May 2012, 10:58
Thomas Cook revised and cut back their summer programme from the airport quite significantly this year compared to what was originally on offer. Given their need to get their business back on track, I would think that a one aircraft base is probably not an efficient use of their resources, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this go. It may not mean that they will leave altogether. They could be looking at W patterns from elsewhere, or they may be in negotiations with somebody else about sharing an aircraft. Monarch have given a pretty strong hint that they will be announcing some summer routes from Leeds in the next few weeks. Perhaps connected? Or they could be waiting to see if Thomas Cook do pull out, so they could move in and do some cherry picking. Regardless, we have to realise that traditional IT operations are on a slippery slope, and any airport that can hang on to what it has is doing well.
With regards to BA, well done to JP and TH for getting the airport in the frame for this route. BA say themselves that a good feeder network is needed to strengthen their long haul business, and this will be the route's function. Any point to point traffic the route picks up is a bonus. As regards it being a slot warmer, whilst I'm sure the airport management will offer the airline a good deal when it comes to landing fees etc., I think that they will be clever enough to insist on a minimum lifespan for the route to give it chance to prove it's viability. All this talk of 'giving it 12 months' is laughable. If this was the real plan they would simply carry on overkilling the Manchester route. However, the route will go sooner or later if it is not used, so it will be up to the travellers of the region to support it. It has the potential to significantly enhance connectivity to the region from around the world, and this can only be good for business and leisure.

Fairdealfrank
12th May 2012, 13:30
LHR-LBA

This is indeed very good news. This service will complement the good train service between the two cities, and as not all travellers are just going between the two city centres, one would expect there to be a fair amount of point to point as well as transfer traffic.

Could it be that this route may have more business potential than the axing of it by BD (LH) suggested and could it be similar with the closure of GLA, INV, JER and MME by BD as well?

Before LH bought it, BD had about 14% of LHR slots, now it has (had?) 8%. Perhaps this had more to do with LH's "re-allocation" of BD's slots than it does with the business potential of the closed down domestic routes?

Are we about to see VS on UK domestic routes (ABZ, EDI)?

crewmeal
12th May 2012, 17:18
Lets hope BA don't let Leeds down. They have a habit of cancelling domestic services when things go wrong on the network. Their flights to Manchester have had a bad track record during the winter.

Fairdealfrank
12th May 2012, 17:46
Quote: "Lets hope BA don't let Leeds down. They have a habit of cancelling domestic services when things go wrong on the network. Their flights to Manchester have had a bad track record during the winter."

Good point, crewmeal, suspect that has much to do with LHR operating at 99% capacity on a good day and the fact that there is no slack in the system. Under such circumstances, short haul services are usually more vulnerable to cancellation.

BKS Air Transport
23rd May 2012, 22:04
Leeds Bradford, Rotterdam and Zagreb are all now listed in BA's country lists reached from the 'Our Network' page. Leeds was not there the other day (though, oddly, has always remained in the booking engine's drop down list since the BD codeshare of a few years ago).

LBIA
30th May 2012, 22:15
Yet more good news as it looks like Jet2 are to add a once weekly service to Split in Croatia from Leeds next summer 2013 season.
Flights are now on sale. The route will be operating on Saturdays commencing from May 18th running until September 28th using Boeing 737-300’s

LS245 = Leeds 14:45 – Split 18:45
LS246 = Split 19:20 – Leeds 21:25

LBIA
7th Jun 2012, 20:49
It seems Jet2 are in expansion mode yet again. As they have today confirmed that a additional 4th Boeing 757-200 aircraft will be based at the airport next summer bringing the based fleet up to 11 aircraft.

Extra flights and capacity been added on routes to: Dalaman, Bodrum, Heraklion, Las Palmas, Ibiza, Mahon, Palma, Faro, Alicante, Malaga and a new route to Split announced.

Jet2holidays Growth at Leeds Bradford Airport (http://www.jet2.com/News/Jet2holidays_Growth_at_Leeds_Bradford_Airport_Hots_Up_Holida y_Options/)

commit aviation
20th Jun 2012, 15:03
Lifted from Travel Weekly:

Thomson and First Choice are to expand destinations served from Leeds Bradford airport.
The Tui Travel operators are due to announce a “substantial increase” in holiday choices for customers from the Yorkshire region.
Details of the plans are due to emerge tomorrow morning (Thursday) at a press conference to be held at the airport.
No other information was available ahead of the formal announcement.

aeulad
20th Jun 2012, 22:51
BA LHR 3 daily Airbus operation definitely happening.

Kind regards

Mike

hottowel
21st Jun 2012, 05:11
Wooohooo! That will be my Carmen bids in for LBA nightstops!! Can't wait to see all my old muckers from Cityhopper!! :D:D:}

Keyvon
21st Jun 2012, 08:59
Thomson Airways has announced 4 new destinations out of LBIA, starting Summer 2013 :

Mahon
Ibiza
Tenerife South
Rhodes

plus additional frequencies on existing flights to Majorca and Dalaman.

TOM will also offer holiday flights to Enfidha, Sharm el Sheikh, Paphos and Corfu.

This makes 10 destinations departing from LBIA.

It is still unclear whether these new flights will be operated by TOM or MON.

ConstantFlyer
21st Jun 2012, 11:15
Good news about all these new flights. However, one aspect of the passenger experience that every airport needs to keep a close eye on is its public transport links.

Yes, many locals will come and go by car; others will taxi. But for non-locals, a reliable and frequent bus and/or train service is important. Newcastle has the Metro trains; Edinburgh has an express bus; Manchester has a station full of buses and trains. After yet another recent debacle at Leeds/Bradford with scores of people waiting for over an hour for buses that didn't turn up and having to share taxis to the station, it really is time for the transport connectivity people in West Yorkshire to sit down and sort things out.

HOODED
21st Jun 2012, 11:58
The really anoying thing is that the local authorities sold the airport to Bridgepoint who seem to be doing a good job with attracting services. The authorities seem to have pocketed the money and are not spending it on improving links to the Airport which is expanding well now.Something has to be done to improve the situation and the local authorities need to realise this sooner rather than later!:ugh:

pwalhx
21st Jun 2012, 14:43
Whilst agreeing regarding public transport, I also think personally that the road access leaves something to be desired.

johnnychips
21st Jun 2012, 16:11
Did LS432 from BUD call at DSA today as it was showing on their arrivals board and arrived 95 mins late?

LBIA
21st Jun 2012, 17:05
Yes the jet2 service LS432 from Budapest called in to Doncaster for a splash and dash along with Eastern Airways service T34504 from Aberdeen. Ryanair flight FR2327 from Palma diverted to Liverpool for a splash and dash. The reason been due to long holding times as a storm passed over the airfield which also brought with it low cloud and the airfield into LVP's for about an hour or so.

Meanwhile the Jet2, LS252 service from Faro diverted to Manchester due to a medical emergency at the same time.

Hope that helps

onyxcrowle
21st Jun 2012, 23:11
All these Diversions to Doncaster and still no new routes . Seems Leeds has suffered a lot with weather related diversions in the past few months . The one Look north covered last year with the Thomas cook touch n bounce n then flew off to MAN !

LBIA
21st Jun 2012, 23:29
Another Press conference is been held next Wednesday, june 27th.

This is expected to be the official announcement of the new 3x daily London-Heathrow service by British Airways.

Fairdealfrank
21st Jun 2012, 23:39
Quote: "BA LHR 3 daily Airbus operation definitely happening.

Kind regards

Mike"

This is very good, but do you know when, Mike? Or do we have to wait for the press conference.

It's not (yet?) bookable on BA.COM for November.

Proves to me that the route was not closed by BD because it was unviable, but because LH wanted to steal the slots. Suggest it was the same when BD stopped INV, JER and MME in 2009, and maybe GLA in 2011.

BKS Air Transport
22nd Jun 2012, 07:32
Could be MON/ZB of course. The 'few weeks' that were hinted at must be pretty much up.

TimmyW
22nd Jun 2012, 19:28
Backs up the information I heard today that Thomson will pull out of DSA and introduce more services from LBA.

ryansf
22nd Jun 2012, 20:30
Backs up the information I heard today that Thomson will pull out of DSA and introduce more services from LBA.
Well, you do have a track record of being correct, so I expect you're right on this one as well.... :rolleyes:

TopazBlue
22nd Jun 2012, 20:47
Flew in to Leeds today, nasty landing, worst I have ever experienced since flying from Leeds! Loving the new departure area although not finished, loads more space and seating, but didnt get chance to look around the shops due to waiting in the security queue for over an hour going out! Need better facilities to get through security faster.

TimmyW
22nd Jun 2012, 20:51
I've never been wrong. I said Thomson would cut their services for this year which they did. A pull out or severe reduction at DSA is inevitable.

BKS Air Transport
26th Jun 2012, 20:40
I guess the press conference has been picked for tomorrow as the Torch has been dominating the local news up until today.

If it is the BA announcement, it will be interesting to see how much prominence Look North give it. They made quite a big story of the bmi withdrawal of the LHR route when it happened.

lbalad
27th Jun 2012, 07:55
Was mentioned on Look North this morning.
I wasn't paying attention,missed the start of the news item,but I think they are expecting the announcement from BA today.Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

commit aviation
27th Jun 2012, 09:12
From the LBIA website:

British Airways is to start four-times-a-day flights from Leeds Bradford Airport to Heathrow.

Flights will start on December 9, 2012.

No times shown but 4 a day is promising!

Mr Mac
27th Jun 2012, 11:58
Good to see BA back at LBA although as a passenger using BMI on that route you did get used to landing back at a number of alternatives due to bad weather in winter !.

LGWAlan
27th Jun 2012, 12:44
times now on Amadeus:
BA1341 X7 LBA LHR 1 0925 1025 0 31DEC12 23MAR13 319 1:00
BA1341 7 LBA LHR 1 0935 1035 0 09DEC12 24MAR13 319 1:00
BA1347 X6 LBA LHR 1 1515 1615 0 31DEC12 31MAR13 319 1:00
BA1343 D LBA LHR 1 1605 1705 0 31DEC12 25OCT13 319 1:00
BA1345 6 LBA LHR 1 1840 1940 0 15DEC12 30MAR13 319 1:00
BA1345 123 LBA LHR 1 2050 2150 0 31DEC12 27MAR13 319 1:00
BA1345 7 LBA LHR 1 2100 2200 0 09DEC12 31MAR13 319 1:00
BA1345 45 LBA LHR 1 2140 2240 0 13DEC12 29MAR13 319 1:00

BA1340 D LHR 1 LBA 0700 0800 0 26DEC12 25OCT13 319 1:00
BA1346 X6 LHR 1 LBA 1120 1220 0 31DEC12 31MAR13 319 1:00
BA1342 6 LHR 1 LBA 1330 1430 0 15DEC12 30MAR13 319 1:00
BA1342 X6 LHR 1 LBA 1350 1450 0 31DEC12 31MAR13 319 1:00
BA1344 6 LHR 1 LBA 1650 1750 0 15DEC12 30MAR13 319 1:00
BA1344 12 LHR 1 LBA 1850 1950 0 31DEC12 26MAR13 319 1:00
BA1344 3 LHR 1 LBA 1910 2010 0 12DEC12 20MAR13 319 1:00
BA1344 7 LHR 1 LBA 1925 2025 0 09DEC12 24MAR13 319 1:00
BA1344 45 LHR 1 LBA 2000 2100 0 13DEC12 29MAR13 319 1:00

commit aviation
27th Jun 2012, 13:01
No night stopper in LBA???
Understandable from a cost point of view but first landing into LHR at 10:25 may undermine the route from the business day return perspective. Perhaps thats not the market they are looking for - the press release majors on connectivity after all.
Here's hoping it's a success

ericlday
27th Jun 2012, 14:44
Its now up to the folks around LBA to support these new routes to ensure they stay.

easyflyer83
27th Jun 2012, 15:42
Nightstopping isn't really expensive. However, it doesn't happen willy Nilly and I think we all now realise that domestic LHR isn't, and really shouldn't be, aimed at the point to point market, especially day returns.

PAPAROMA
27th Jun 2012, 15:48
That schedule has LHR 'slot-sitter' written all over it!

sam dilly
27th Jun 2012, 16:17
No Lourdes flights this summer.
for some reason they have all gone to DSA.
strange, anybody know why ?

LBIA
27th Jun 2012, 16:58
Are you sure about that sam dilly?

As the Leeds & Ripon Diocesan Lourdes charter flight operated by Titan Airways departs LBA, next Friday, July 6th and returns on Thursday, July 12th according to the Tagney Tour website.

Also if you didn't know Mistral Air and Alitalia are operating a few charters from Italy over the next 2 months for some reason.

Tuesday, July 3rd = Mistral Air, B733
Thursday, July 5th = Mistral Air, B733
Sunday, July 8th = Alitalia, A320
Sunday, July 22nd = Alitalia, A320
Sunday, August 5th = Alitalia, A320
Sunday, August 19th = Alitalia, A320

Cyrano
27th Jun 2012, 16:58
That schedule has LHR 'slot-sitter' written all over it!

I'd absolutely agree. (In that respect it joins the W12 DUB-LHR schedule. :hmm: )

The96er
27th Jun 2012, 17:54
Nightstopping isn't really expensive. However, it doesn't happen willy Nilly and I think we all now realise that domestic LHR isn't, and really shouldn't be, aimed at the point to point market, especially day returns.

Domestically, the service cannot compete point to point with the train. The route is aimed purley at the connecting market similar to that that exist on the MAN-LHR shuttles whose breakdown of passengers consist of about 80-90% transferring.

sam dilly
27th Jun 2012, 18:01
Sorry LBIA, but the Lourdes charters start this Sunday with 2 from DSA
As are the next 3 flights, over the next 2 weeks. Not a lot, but this has been LBA traffic for years, why did Tangey take the business away ?

LBIA
27th Jun 2012, 18:11
Sam Dilly are you sure they not the Hallam Diocese Pilgrimages to Lourdes operating from Doncaster-Sheffield?

As they have done so for the past 5 or 6 years now and are due to be operated over the period of Sunday 1st July to Friday 6th July 2012.

aeulad
27th Jun 2012, 22:08
Actually in my experience, and having operated many, many LHR-MAN and MAN-LHR sectors, we certainly don't have 80-90% of the pax onboard connecting from LHR.

More like 30-40% at the very most.

Kind regards

Mike

HOODED
27th Jun 2012, 22:15
I believe BA are operating from/to T1, so slot sitter is right, it would be into T5 if they wer looking for onward pax!:sad:

Ringwayman
27th Jun 2012, 23:30
There might not be enough room at T5 to operate from there at the moment. In terms of connectors using MAN-LHR and vv, i'm sure BA said a few years ago that 75% of the combined BA/BD passengers to LHR were connecting.

Skipness One Echo
28th Jun 2012, 00:40
How contstrained is T5 on domestic? Is it just stands 501, 502, 503, 505, 506 which have access to UK arrivals? Given they were flying GLA, EDI, ABZ, NCL and MAN, no one really expected any more domestic destinations to be added when T5 was built. I mean had you suggested BA would be flying LBA-LHR four daily on the A319 most would have scoffed at the thought.

veetwo
28th Jun 2012, 09:36
Essentially you are correct. 501-506 can be used for domestic arrivals. And yes, it is very congested. Of course, in theory any stand can be used but the passengers will need to be bussed to the T5A domestic arrivals area.

Now that BMI is in house there will never be enough room at T5 to accomodate all the routes - we'll be operating out of T1 and T3 indefinitely.

BKS Air Transport
28th Jun 2012, 11:54
Just some thoughts I'd like to put down about the 'positive spin' being put out by some people about the LHR route, before the first flight has ever taken off.

BA have had this order in for new long haul aircraft for some time. I guess they must have had a credible plan for using them within the then existing slot availabilty. Somehow I don't believe they ordered them on the off chance that a load of spare slots would suddenly fall into their lap.

Of course, they may well want to use some of the windfall of bmi slots for long haul expansion, but as they have said, they need quality feeder traffic to go with them. This is what the LBA flights are designed to do, forget the old concept of day returns to the capital, it is dead. BD couldn't make it work from Leeds nor could BE. The train is far superior at doing this, I would suggest from all English regions, apart from possibly the far south west. Scotland may have a stronger claim to this sort of traffic, but their airports also have significant numbers of flights to LGW, LCY etc. to cater for this.

Now, if in due course BA do decide to convert some domestic slots at LHR into long haul, here are some statistics to consider:

North east- pop. 2.6m; pop. growth (2001-10) 2.6%;
flights to LHR 6

North west- pop. 6.9m; pop. growth (") 2.4%;
flights to LHR 17

Scotland- pop. 5.2m; pop. growth (") 3.1%;
flights to LHR 38

Yks/Hbr- pop. 5.3m; pop. growth (") 6.8%;
flights to LHR 4

Flights are from all airports in region, so for Scotland means ABZ, EDI and GLA, and are for a typical weekday in December, as taken from BA timetable. I have ignored other London airports. Other data is from ONS.

Now, where would you reduce capacity to make extra long haul slots available?

Fairdealfrank
28th Jun 2012, 22:16
Quote: "That schedule has LHR 'slot-sitter' written all over it!"

Not neccesarily, it operates to/from LHR5, so ideal for connections.

Quote: "Domestically, the service cannot compete point to point with the train. The route is aimed purley at the connecting market similar to that that exist on the MAN-LHR shuttles whose breakdown of passengers consist of about 80-90% transferring."

This is true for city centre to city centre, except on sundays when there are no fast trains and weekends when there is engineering work.

Not all pax are doing city centre to city centre journeys. This extends choice and offers alternatives so beneficial all round.

Quote: "How contstrained is T5 on domestic? Is it just stands 501, 502, 503, 505, 506 which have access to UK arrivals? Given they were flying GLA, EDI, ABZ, NCL and MAN, no one really expected any more domestic destinations to be added when T5 was built."

AFAIK, 507,508 and 509 also have access to UK arrivals, 510 (gate A10) is the "back to the 1960s gate", for those unfortunates taking a bus to a remote stand.

Quote: "I mean had you suggested BA would be flying LBA-LHR four daily on the A319 most would have scoffed at the thought."

Excellent, good to see that route revived! Hope it's not the only one.

Quote: Just some thoughts I'd like to put down about the 'positive spin' being put out by some people about the LHR route, before the first flight has ever taken off.

BA have had this order in for new long haul aircraft for some time. I guess they must have had a credible plan for using them within the then existing slot availabilty. Somehow I don't believe they ordered them on the off chance that a load of spare slots would suddenly fall into their lap.

Of course, they may well want to use some of the windfall of bmi slots for long haul expansion, but as they have said, they need quality feeder traffic to go with them. This is what the LBA flights are designed to do, forget the old concept of day returns to the capital, it is dead. BD couldn't make it work from Leeds nor could BE. The train is far superior at doing this, I would suggest from all English regions, apart from possibly the far south west. Scotland may have a stronger claim to this sort of traffic, but their airports also have significant numbers of flights to LGW, LCY etc. to cater for this.

Now, if in due course BA do decide to convert some domestic slots at LHR into long haul, here are some statistics to consider:

North east- pop. 2.6m; pop. growth (2001-10) 2.6%;
flights to LHR 6

North west- pop. 6.9m; pop. growth (") 2.4%;
flights to LHR 17

Scotland- pop. 5.2m; pop. growth (") 3.1%;
flights to LHR 38

Yks/Hbr- pop. 5.3m; pop. growth (") 6.8%;
flights to LHR 4

Flights are from all airports in region, so for Scotland means ABZ, EDI and GLA, and are for a typical weekday in December, as taken from BA timetable. I have ignored other London airports. Other data is from ONS.

Now, where would you reduce capacity to make extra long haul slots available?"

BA have stated that the split of the new slots will be about one third longhaul and two thirds shorthaul, which makes sense.

Without decent feeds, many longhaul routes are unsustainable, at least in the short term.

Some of the ABZ, EDI, and GLA slots have to be divested eventually, so the Scotland figures will be reduced. It's unlikely that there will be 17 MAN-LHR flights/day forever, 3-4 shifted to LPL would be good, probably unlikely though.

cumbrianboy
29th Jun 2012, 10:10
Yes, if anyone from BA route planning is reading, I vote for a LPL-LHR route, great feed potential for sure!

ETOPS
29th Jun 2012, 12:30
Now, where would you reduce capacity to make extra long haul slots available?

The current combined 17 per day MAN - LHR schedule becomes 11 per day in W12. That allows 4 to be rejigged into the LBA service and 2 spare for the pot. Similar patterns will exist on the Scottish routes thus the already announced Longhaul expansion to Seoul etc. Next will be a cull of the`BMI midhaul routes.

I see LBA as a long term plan not slot sitting........

onyxcrowle
29th Jun 2012, 13:29
Well if we are going to have Liverpool the. Let's have Dsa and Or HUY

Damian O'Leary
29th Jun 2012, 13:33
Worth remembering that no Scottish city is within 2 to 3 hours surface journey of London, so wouldn’t you kind of expect there to be greater demand for domestic air travel between Scotland and LHR, than there would be to parts of Northern England?

Also, Scotland’s airports aren’t nearly as well served for direct international flights as MAN, even though things are slowly improving, so again the LHR flights remain important for connecting Scotland to the wider world.

Edinburgh is the second most visited city in the UK, and Glasgow and the Highlands also rank quite highly. Also, factor in Aberdeen’s exceptionally strong demand for business flights, and it’s not hard to see why BA might determine that there is a greater call for flights to the Scottish airports than there might be to airports in northern England. Simply looking at population factors close to each airport doesn’t tell the full story in terms of total demand to/from an airport. You have to look beyond the UK to see what the inbound demand is like too!

cumbrianboy
29th Jun 2012, 17:32
Problem with DSA and HUY they don't have the industry and economy to support the route and to the volume necessary, the LPL and surrounding economy is massive, I believe 2nd largest outside London (NW in general that is?)

PAPAROMA
29th Jun 2012, 21:41
It's a great achievement for LBA to attract a LHR service and I really hope the route is a success! However, once the 787 and A380 arrive and BA are granted access to airport capacity in China then these flights will disappear. Shame for the airport I know.

Anyone who understands airline economics will know that longhaul far exceeds shorthaul on a return-on-investment basis for a carrier like BA. Airports such as AMS, FRA and CDG are all supporting new, regional Chinese (and other far east destinations) services for which LHR has a long wait list for.

MAN, LBA and RTM (potentially) are all slot-sitter services ex LHR.

However, I really hope LBA take full advantage of this service and work together with BA to maximise the potential, however long the route may operate.

PAPAROMA
29th Jun 2012, 21:49
@BKSAirTransport: Your last point is rather blinkered in terms of overall market capacity.

Yorks/Humb have a drive time to Manchester in the region of 60-90 minutes. EK offer in the region of 1000 seats a day to the Middle/Far East and Australasia for rock-bottom fares - throw in Etihad and Qatar and you begin to hit 1500. IN addition, the US carriers offer up to 1000 seats a day westbound. It would be pointless for BA to compete with these carriers through LHR. The North East and Scotland have a lack of capacity to the Middle East/USA and therefore BA can attract transfer passengers through LHR on this basis. Hence the frequency you describe and and hence the lack of regional LHR service to the Yorks/Humb area.

In time, I have no doubt that BA will reduce MAN to 4 x flights a day following the same market trends.

LEEDS APPROACH
30th Jun 2012, 00:13
What a load of cr ap. Drive time TO leeds is 60 90 minutes. We are not in jersey now. Leeds is massively behind where it should be - even BA know it. Leeds has always lagged behind MAN - yeah due to where it is located but also due to politics. So many people have got rich. They say russia is corrupt.

Skipness One Echo
30th Jun 2012, 00:14
Anyone who understands airline economics will know that longhaul far exceeds shorthaul on a return-on-investment basis for a carrier like BA
Long haul doesn't really work without short haul feed though? Through the Executive Club, BA must know that they have a core of flyers out of MAN based across the Penines that aren't doing all of their long haul on BA. Trying to steal some of those back from KLM and making sure the new B787s and A380s don't leave LHR half empty is a good balancing act.

It would be pointless for BA to compete with these carriers through LHR.
No, that would be the whole point. One does not surrender the market if one doesn't need to. You can drive to MAN, fly to the US then connect on to your final destination, or you can fly straight from LBA and change at T5 to your final destination.

LEEDS APPROACH
30th Jun 2012, 00:56
leeds bradford should be doing minimum 6 million pax now if had been run properly - anyone in aviation disagree?

HOODED
30th Jun 2012, 09:02
Leeds Approach..Agreed, but at least the new owners are trying to improve the situation. Give them time they may surprise us all, it's a shame the councils that profited from the sale of the airport dont invest in some decent links to "their" airport! ;)

pwalhx
30th Jun 2012, 10:33
If you compare to Liverpool where I think in 2011 they had around 5.3 million passengers, then I would agree LBA should have the potential to reach that figue. However Liverpool got in to the LoCo market (for want of a better term) early in the game. Whether that is possible in the current climate at LBA I am not sure, in the future you would hope so.

AP1995
30th Jun 2012, 10:33
I think the new owners need to be given credit, with the new BA route, Jet2 adding another 757, Monarch with new routes and potentially a new base, Thomson with 10 routes, 8 off them new, thinks defintley seem on the up!

North West
30th Jun 2012, 21:38
When I did some work with MAG a couple of years back, the 'LS' post code was the biggest traffic feed for MAN outside of the North West. Also much more likely to park compared to people who live closer to MAN, so a big revenue earner for the airport which had people a bit twitchy.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was still an easy 1mppa for LBA to get after and with the blokes they've got running LBA these days, I'd back them to succeed.

onyxcrowle
30th Jun 2012, 22:37
LBA are doing ok ,And given its location it has a lot of traffic. I'm surprised the amount of diversions over the past couple of years of dodgy weather haven't affected things . It must make some airlines rule it out . Man doesn't seem to ever really have that issue .

cornishsimon
1st Jul 2012, 01:23
Yes, if anyone from BA route planning is reading, I vote for a LPL-LHR route,
great feed potential for sure!

Well if your voting for LPL i vote for NQY-LHR BA service ;)

on the subject of NQY, before SZ were folded by Eastern the NQY-BRS-LBA operated twice daily (i think). Its a little surprising that nobody has picked up the route. Yes i know that some of that traffic would of been BRS-LBA but some of the punters were flying NQY-LBA

cs

PAPAROMA
1st Jul 2012, 16:25
LEEDS APPROACH - I may live in Jersey, however, I do leave the Island every now and again. Working at a high level in commercial aviation, I assure you my facts are well proven and time will demonstrate this.

offint
7th Jul 2012, 19:36
I give it 12 months then BA will stop the route the simple fact is that BA are far to expensive for business men like me, I travel to the Far East at least twice a year and as we all know BA are using this as a feeder route to LHR but compare MAN-HKG with either Qatar or Air France and its over £700.00 cheaper than LBA-HKG via LHR (business class) and being a business man who flys to HKG and CAN twice a year I would rather fly with Qatar who are SUPERB and a true 5 star airline rather than BA who are no better than Air France, very poor.

Living in Ilkley I would love to use my local airport but the cost is far to much as I always travel with a member of staff and we normally save between £1500 - £2500 flying from Manchester (bus class combined) which pays our hotel, drinks etc and the stop over timings from MAN-CDG-HKG or CAN and MAN-DOH-HKG or CAN are far shorter than LBA-LHR-HKG, I am sorry to say its not going to work.

TSR2
7th Jul 2012, 20:14
But people do fly to places other than HKG.

pottwiddler
7th Jul 2012, 22:10
BA should be applauded for such a route, their problem is the APD. I bet it's cheaper to fly to AMS or CDG then onward to HKG or wherever in the world.

BKS Air Transport
7th Jul 2012, 22:42
@ offint

So why are MAN's own BA flights to LHR so frequent and popular if everybody can save £000's by using other airlines and routes for their long haul flights?

wawkrk
7th Jul 2012, 22:44
For many frequent flyers, the actual cost is not their prority.If you have a decent Oneworld card, you are not going to throw points and miles away with non alliance airlines. When I had a BA gold card, it was BA whenever possible. The same when I became a KLM Plat member.Then always KLM and partners.Flying only a couple of times a year does not really fit into this.

lbalad
9th Jul 2012, 12:07
On LBIA facebook page,to become Monarch's 6th UK base with 2 A320's,and 12 routes.

Good news!.

EI-A330-300
9th Jul 2012, 12:09
Lanzarote – 2 x weekly
Antalya – 2 x weekly
Barcelona – 2 x weekly
Bodrum – 2 x weekly (22 July – 16 Sept only)
Dalaman – 2 x weekly
Faro – 3 x weekly
Rome – 2 x weekly
Heraklion – 2 x weekly
Larnaca – 2 x weekly
Menorca – 2 x weekly
Majorca – 4 x weekly
Tenerife – 2 x weekly
Munich – 3 x weekly

Monarch Airlines Launch Leeds Bradford as Sixth UK Base (http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/about-the-airport/news/2012-07-09-monarch-base)

Hull City AFC
9th Jul 2012, 15:36
Monarch Airlines Summer 2013 Aircraft timetable from Leeds Bradford

Monday's

Aircraft 1:-

07:15 - 13:20 - Menorca (Mahon) - ZB7584
14:05 - 19:45 - Barcelona - ZB7554
20:30 - 06:10*(Tues) - Bodrum - ZB7536

Aircraft 2:-

07:30 - 12:20 - Munich - ZB7572
13:05 - 22:55 - Lanzarote - ZB7592

Tuesday's

07:00 - 13:05 - Palma de Mallorca - ZB7516
13:50 - 23:45 - Dalaman - ZB7534

Aircraft 2

07:15 - 14:05 - Faro - ZB7542
14:50 - 00:30*(Wed) - Tenerife (South) - ZB7504

Wednesday's

07:15 - 13:40 - Rome (Fiumicino) - ZB7562
14:25 - 23:45 - Heraklion - ZB7558

Aircraft 2

07:30 - 12:20 - Munich - ZB7572
13:05 - 00:05*(Thurs) - Larnaca - ZB7508

Thursday's

13:50 - 23:40 - Lanzarote - ZB7592

Aircraft 2

14:50 - 00:45*(Fri) - Antalya - ZB7596

Fridays

07:00 - 12:40 - Barcelona - ZB7554
13:25 - 23:15 - Tenerife (South) - ZB7504

Aircraft 2

07:15 - 13:20 - Menorca (Mahon) - ZB7584
14:05 - 18:55 - Munich - ZB7572
20:30 - 06:10*(Sat) - Bodrum - Zb7536

Saturday's

14:50 - 00:45*(Sun) - Dalaman - ZB7534

Aircraft 2

07:30 - 13:35 - Palma de Mallorca - ZB7516
14:25 - 23:45 - Heraklion - ZB7558

Sunday's

13:50 - 00:50*(Mon) - Larnaca - ZB7508

Aircraft 2

07:15 - 13:40 - Rome (Fiumicino) - ZB7562
14:25 - 00:20*(Mon) - ZB7508

Both Aircraft are showing as Airbus A320's. http://www.forums4airports.com/images/smilies/smooth/biggrin.gif http://www.forums4airports.com/images/smilies/dark_bg/drinks.gif http://www.forums4airports.com/images/smilies/smooth/yes.gif

TSR2
9th Jul 2012, 17:00
15 Minute turn round on Monday ???

TartinTon
9th Jul 2012, 17:03
The MAH gets in at 1320 not 1350 as posted above.

North West
9th Jul 2012, 17:11
I think Thomas Cook are looking for someone to take a seat allocation from at Leeds next summer instead of basing their own aircraft, so this could be just the ticket

MKY661
9th Jul 2012, 17:32
Thank you very much for that list Hull City AFC

LBIA
10th Jul 2012, 13:38
Even more good news. Jet2 are to announce a new once weekly Leeds/Bradford-Zante (Zakynthos) route by looks of things. As flights are now on sale. The Service commences from Wednesday, May 22nd 2013

LS447 = Leeds 08:35 - Zante 14:30
LS448 = Zante 15:10 – Leeds 17:15

BKS Air Transport
10th Jul 2012, 20:29
Does anybody know how many jet stands will be needed overnight next year? Must be starting to get pretty tight again.

LBIA
10th Jul 2012, 22:01
It currently works out at 19x aircraft needing overnight parking at LBA next summer.

But it depends on what Thomas Cook do and if British Airways decide to night stop. We could end up with 21 aircraft night-stopping which would be a tight squeeze onto 24 stands due to the current layout of the apron.

1x bmi regional = Embrear 135 Regional Jet
1x KLM City Hopper = Fokker 70
1x Thomson = TBC (Boeing 737-800 or Boeing 757-200)
2x Monarch = Airbus A320
3x Ryanair = Boeing 737-800WL
4x Jet2 = Boeing 757-200
7x Jet2 = Boeing 737-300

Also possible
1x British Airways = Airbus A319
1x Thomas Cook = Airbus A320

SFCC
10th Jul 2012, 22:17
It's a 'hot bed' system.
A good percentage of the machines you mention will be in the air during the night.

mcsowden
10th Jul 2012, 23:57
What about the Thomson next summer is it a monarch aircraft or Thomson aircraft now?

cornishsimon
11th Jul 2012, 01:26
I wonder what we will see at LBA of the new BMIr ? will the BRU route stay ?

Also, isnt it about time that an operator restarted the longstanding NQY-LBA route, ex SZ ?

cs

SWBKCB
11th Jul 2012, 06:47
Also, isnt it about time that an operator restarted the longstanding NQY-LBA route, ex SZ ?

Like who? Doesn't look like a FlyBE or Eastern route, so that just about leaves Loganair or Manx2. Again, looks like an unlikely fit.

LBIA
11th Jul 2012, 12:31
mcsowden regarding next summers Thomson routes, The Thomson Holidays website shows the following message "Flying with To Be Advised" for all available routes from Leeds next summer.

It looks like it has still been undecided who will operate the new flights. I know the original plan was to part based aircraft and use a Monarch, B757-200. But now that they have announced a fully based aircraft flight program they may decide to base some of there own metal instead using a B737-800 or B757-200.

Or could it be that like Thomson's flights from Dublin & Belfast that Leeds flights could end up been operated by Canadian Airline Sunwing, using B737-800's?

LEEDS APPROACH
11th Jul 2012, 16:44
Will be fantastic to see Mon and BA at Leeds along with the usual suspects. Surely we will see some new stands built somewhere on the field before next Summer? There is already very little flexibility when it comes to parking aircraft at LBA. Oh and please don't refer to the LBIA Masterplan as it bears no resemblence to what has recently been done and what will be done to the airport infrastructure (unlike other uk airports). Basically it was a complete waste of taxpayers money. No wonder the country is in debt[enough politics]. Anyway does anybody in the know- know about actual airside infrastructure plans?

LBIA
1st Aug 2012, 14:45
Good news as it looks like Jet2 are going to announce there 3rd Croatian service from Leeds-Bradford for next summer 2013 season.

Once weekly flights from Leeds to Pula are now bookable. The service will operate on Sundays commencing May 26th and run until the end of September.

HXdave
3rd Aug 2012, 12:14
hi guys. Wonder if someone can help with a query from a mate of mine. He landed into LBA thurs 02/08 on the TCX flight from zante. Whilst there, there was also a black aircraft with a silver stripe down the length of the fusalage. Large jet, landed roughly same time.anyone have any information as to what this aircraft was, and who it belongs to? Cheers. HXDave

737 Speedbrakes
3rd Aug 2012, 12:21
Cosmo

LY-COM

Cosmo Airlines (http://cosmoairlines.com/)

Leased by Jet2.com

wawkrk
3rd Aug 2012, 12:28
Cosmo Airlines operating for jet2. There is a photo of the last visit on another forums4 LBA.

HXdave
3rd Aug 2012, 12:42
thanks guys.

mcsowden
14th Aug 2012, 08:57
Does anybody know if it is true that the LBA to knock route with flybe is ending in september?

North West
14th Aug 2012, 09:39
Have you tried the Flybe website?

IrishFlyer2013
14th Aug 2012, 09:51
LBA-NOC finishes on the 9th of September.

airnoc
14th Aug 2012, 11:03
LBA-NOC finishes on the 9th of September

LBA-NOC

How was pax numbers on this route?

Is this a summer route and will be back in 2013 or is it gone all togeather?

Thanks in advance

IrishFlyer2013
14th Aug 2012, 11:18
How was pax numbers on this route?

Hi airnoc,

During April, May & June 2396 people flew on the NOC-LBA route.
897 flew on it in June with approx 34 pax per flight. The aircraft operating the route carries 78 pax altogether. So the load factor would be just under 50%.

It's not bad. I got those figures from the CAA & CSO websites. My calculations could be wrong. It's just a rough estimate that I got from looking at the figures on the CSO & CAA websites as mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

PPRuNeUser0176
14th Aug 2012, 11:24
April 39% LF
May 39% LF
June 47% LF
July - due out lather today

Remenber BE are dropping the route 7 weeks ahead of the planned finish at start of winter schedule.

OltonPete
14th Aug 2012, 11:43
I wouldn't be too hopeful as the 9 & 10 September sees major changes to the flybe schedules with a several routes ending some of which were year-round.

Ending

BHX-HAM
MAN-BRU
SOU-FRA

Starting

GLA & EDI to EMA at three daily.

This is without considering the seasonal French flights.

Pete

adfly
14th Aug 2012, 14:00
So that means Flybe are dropping HAM, FRA and BRU from its entire network now!

LBIA
20th Aug 2012, 11:14
Was told yesterday that Jet2 have asked Multiflight about building a new larger maintance hangar over on the southside at LBA next to the existing double barrel hangar so to accommodate aircraft sized up to Boeing 757/767.

Anyone else heard about this or know if there is any truth to it?

sunshine79
21st Aug 2012, 08:08
Thomas Cook Tour Operations flights are now on sale from LBA, using ZB throughout the summer

Whoops, have now amended flight code

BKS Air Transport
21st Aug 2012, 11:40
Sorry for being a complete idiot, but is that Air Berlin?

LBIA
21st Aug 2012, 11:59
I think he means Thomas Cook Holidays will be taking allocation of seats on ZB flights (Monarch Schedule) next summer.

LBIA
14th Sep 2012, 21:42
Here's the break down of the CAA's August 2012 passenger stats for Leeds-Bradford

1/ LBA figures for the month of August 2012 are up by 5.3% over the same month last year 2011. 2/ LBA had a total of 386,275 passengers passing through the terminal in August 2012, 3/ The year rolling total passenger numbers for LBA now stands at 2,961,831

This is truly fantastic news for the airport and based on next summer's planned growth by Jet2, Monarch, Thomson & British Airways I think August 2013 pax figures should be in the 400,000 mark. Also it looks as though LBA is going to hit the magic rolling year figure of 3 million pax within the next 6 to 12 months one would think.

commit aviation
15th Sep 2012, 09:21
In the current market I would agree this is pretty impressive.

Of course it looks slightly less fantastic if you take into account that Bridgepoint anticipated 5 million pax within 5 years which would be about now! :\

ILS32
15th Sep 2012, 09:49
When Bridgepoint bought Leeds Bradford Airport in 2007 the world economies were in a totally different position compared with the present economic climate.Lots of families can no longer afford the costs of flying.Look at the CAA Statistics and see the number of airports that are losing passengers through their terminals.I bet they wished that they were in the same position as Leeds Bradford.The LBA has continued to increase passenger numbers virtually every month.The 3 million mark will soon be reached, so as LBIA states it is fantastic news.

pug
15th Sep 2012, 09:52
LBIA, I work out that capacity increases next year should add an extra 0.6 million passengers through the terminal? If so then the August 2013 figures should far exceed 400,000.

Is there a possibility of more from easyjet in the next few years?

Serenity
15th Sep 2012, 10:05
Easy seem happier with MAN and LPL.

But if things go well, then you may well see lots more from Monarch.
Good solid reliable work and they pay their service companies more than Easy.

sunshine79
15th Sep 2012, 13:26
Whats happened the the LS252 from FAO. I was walking home from the shops in Bramley and saw it climbing. The landing gear had already been retracted.

ericlday
15th Sep 2012, 14:12
From the Airport website -
14:00 FARO LS252 DIVERTED TO MANCHESTER COACHES TO RETURN PASSENGERS TO LEEDS

Easy when you look in the right place.

sunshine79
15th Sep 2012, 14:30
It only said diverted when I last looked. Anyone know why it was diverted?

LBIA
15th Sep 2012, 19:02
The LS252 from Faro operated by Boeing 737-300, G-CELB this afternoon declared a PAN emergency with "asymmetrical flaps" problem whilst it was on finals to Leeds-Bradford

It diverted to Manchester as it needed the extra runway length to stop due to been heavy, It landed fairly fast with the nose high.

offint
18th Sep 2012, 11:07
Can't book a flight from LBA to EXT next month so I emailed FLYBE who said the route is being dropped at the end of this month!

roverman
30th Sep 2012, 14:21
All quiet here. Any news on the PIA B777s? Rumours and denials on other threads about PIA ending Manchester. If true would they continue Leeds? Will the new BA service to Heathrow have any effect?

CabinCrewe
30th Sep 2012, 19:39
PK are not ending MAN. If they did, there is no way LBA would continue. The A310 is not going out full, so unless its belly heavy with lucrative cargo, id be surprised to see a 777. The A310's are not long for this world.

LBIA
1st Oct 2012, 10:51
Well all the ground handling equipment has now arrived at LBA so to be able to handle the B772 if and when they do decide to start op's with it. I’ve been told this could happen once PIA take delivery of 2x B773 which are been leased on 5 years deal later this year. Which in turn will release a B772’s to operate the LBA-ISB route.

Regarding the drop in pax figures on the route recently. I think you'll find this tends happen every year around this time due to the religious festivals of Ramadan, Eid & Hajj.

SWBKCB
6th Oct 2012, 21:11
Anybody been following Mr Parkin's role in the Newcastle airport Vs Eversheds court case?

Airbanda
10th Oct 2012, 12:05
The NIA v Eversheds case is reported on BAILII:

Newcastle International Airport Ltd (NIAL) v Eversheds LLP [2012] EWHC 2648 (Ch) (02 October 2012) (http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2012/2648.html)

LBIA
15th Oct 2012, 17:41
The CAA September 2012 provisional passenger figures for Leeds-Bradford have been released today and I've got to say that they look quite good, yet again.

A total off 336,907 pax passed through LBA which is +2.8 on same month last year.
The year rolling pax fig now stands at 2,970,842 which is also +0.6%.

So that's only 29,158 short of 3 million which I think is closest it has ever been to hitting that target. So with Monarch, British Airways & Thomson all starting new routes and services along with extra flights been added by Jet2 and maybe Ryanair next summer surely LBA will hit the 3 million mark very soon?

egcntristar
17th Oct 2012, 09:00
Leeds poised for Doha link with Qatar???

Routes News - Going for gold (http://www.routes-news.com/airports/item/686-going-for-gold)

HH6702
17th Oct 2012, 09:24
Good news for Leeds if it happens
However is Leeds not too close to there operation at Manchester??
Would it not work better at ncl or edi?

BKS Air Transport
17th Oct 2012, 13:24
Keith Wakefield, Leader of Leeds City Council, said on today's 'Look North', that he was confident of a rail link to the airport within 5-10 years. It was a priority for the City Region's new devolved transport budget.

pug
17th Oct 2012, 14:23
Leeds poised for Doha link with Qatar???

Routes News - Going for gold (http://www.routes-news.com/airports/item/686-going-for-gold)

Probably a misprint, the original article in 'the hub' said it was BHX poised to get the Doha link.

BKS Air Transport
17th Oct 2012, 21:46
Whilst I think Pug's comment above is true in this case, I would just point out the following for the future:

1) LBA management have said in the past that they are actively seeking middle east carriers to the airport;

2) They think that the 787 will change the scope of routes that are available;

3) All those passengers filling up middle-eastern bound aircraft at Manchester ain't all coming from the north-west;

4) I would never underestimate either the ambition or the skills of the guys who are in charge up there;

5) At the time of the BHX announcement in July, Qatar said that they were also evaluating the possibility of operating from two other unnamed UK airports.

LBIA
29th Oct 2012, 14:26
Well it looks like Thomson Holidays forward booking might be doing well for next summer 2013. As they have just added an 3rd weekly flight to Palma for summer with a Monday evening service running in the peak summer months using the based Thomson Airways, Boeing 737-800.

The service runs from 1st July to 2nd September as follows.
LBA 22:10 PMI 01:50 = TOM3168
PMI 02:50 LBA 04:35 = TOM3169

Helen49
31st Oct 2012, 07:24
Are the Local Authorities really going to spend 'several hundred million pounds' [according to press reports] on rail links from Horsforth and Guiseley to the Airport? Some transport 'experts' say that ten million airport pax per annum are necessary before a rail link becomes a viable consideration.

It has taken LBA 25 years to increase from 1m pax per annum to the present figure......not exactly the fastest growing airport in the UK by a substantial margin!

Is it therefore wishful thinking to talk about railways? Are the local politicians really planning so far ahead.....not a characteristic they are known for when LBA is concerned, or is this a last ditch attempt to make a 'silver purse from a sow's ear'?

ETOPS
31st Oct 2012, 13:30
that he was confident of a rail link to the airport within 5-10 years. It was a priority for the City Region's new devolved transport budget.

Had to laugh at that quote - was based at Yeadon in 1985/6 and this was almost exactly what was said then. 25 years later and they are still talking about it.

wb9999
31st Oct 2012, 14:17
I believe they will, because the local authorities in the Leeds City Region are now responsible for deciding how to spend central Government transport funds allocated to the area, rather than somebody in Whitehall deciding what is best for the Leeds City Region. Too many times in the past, the civil servants have no idea what is best for an area 200 miles away (that they've probably rarely visited). Now people in West Yorkshire are going to be making that decision.

Andy_S
31st Oct 2012, 15:37
That's assuming they find it affordable.......

There have been debates on here previously about the costs and technical difficulties involved in establishing a rail link. Several hundred million pounds is a LOT of money to throw at a single project of questionable commercial viability, especially when there will inevitably be many other demands on the budget.

LBIA
31st Oct 2012, 16:39
Its such a shame to see with the end of the summer 2012 charter flight season that Thomas Cook Airlines, Leeds-Bradford base closes this evening with the arrival of the 18:45, TCX83HS service from Cyprus-Larnaca. The flight is been operated by Airbus A320, G-KKAZ. The aircraft will night stop this evening and position out empty for the very last time tomorrow morning at 07:00 as TCX276P for Dalaman.

I wish all the based flight and cabin crews all the best for the future. Be that with moving on elsewhere with Thomas Cook or hopefully finding new jobs with the likes of Monarch and Thomson Airways who are both opening new bases here next summer...

wb9999
31st Oct 2012, 22:41
It shouldn't be too difficult to find it affordable as they apparently have a billion pounds to spend on transport.

Andy_S
1st Nov 2012, 08:41
And a great many other things to spend it on.......

chaps2011
1st Nov 2012, 09:55
Thought most of that money was going on the electrication of Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds line and to Preston from Manchester or am I barking up wrong tree

Chaps

LBIA
7th Nov 2012, 13:28
Looks like KLM City Hopper are upgrading the morning KLM1545/1546 AMS-LBA-AMS rotation as of March 1st 2013 from the current Fokker 70 to the newer Embrear 190.

I wonder if this is due to KLM seeing reduced forward bookings for pax using AMS for long haul connections now that they will have the option to connect through LHR with BA?

Aircrew101
18th Nov 2012, 15:58
BBC News - Manx2.com suspends Leeds Bradford and Oxford services (http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-20338928)

onyxcrowle
18th Nov 2012, 16:24
Perhaps the current Fokker is to be used at Manston

CabinCrewe
18th Nov 2012, 16:52
How is the LBA PK route doing? Doesnt seem to be any sign of the A310's going anywhere quickly. CAA stat figures seem pretty static at LBA with big drops on other UK routes

Channex258
19th Nov 2012, 08:41
How is the LBA PK route doing? Doesnt seem to be any sign of the A310's going anywhere quickly. CAA stat figures seem pretty static at LBA with big drops on other UK routes

Apart from the usual quiet periods (Ramadan, Eid etc) loads have been looking good, usually around 140-150 don't know if the Triple 77 would be justified yet. The PIA station manager is adamant it's coming but this rumour has been floating around for a while now. Do hope to see it on stand 8 one day when I come into work!

LBIA
8th Dec 2012, 13:01
So do LBA have anything planned for tomorrow mornings return of British Airways after a 32 year absence with the long over due re-instated London Heathrow service?

CabinCrewe
8th Dec 2012, 15:13
long awaited... and no doubt short lived ! cough cough Chinese longhaul slots.

14 loop
8th Dec 2012, 22:21
Will happen Monday....tomorrow is a 'soft' start-up.

Helen49
11th Dec 2012, 06:31
Good to hear that BA are back at LBA. Wish them well with the route.

I remember their final flights on the route back in the early 80s.....Viscounts and many of their flights in the final few days being accompanied by low level flypasts, especially those involving local based crews! Mind you in those days, starting and ending routes were quite notable occasions not like the 'here today gone tomorrow' routes of the modern era.

The route was first operated in the late 50s [?] early 60s by BKS Air Transport using DC3s. followed by Avro [Jet-Prop!] 748s. With the advent of the 'new runway' 15/33 in 1965, BA [in the form of BEA] first operated the route when a Heathrow based Viscount was used on a morning and evening rotation to supplement the BKS 748s. In around 65/66, after a period of training involving Channel Airways Viscounts, BKS started using their own Viscount 700s on the route followed by 800 series Viscounts.

Eventually BKS became Northeast Airlines and the integration with BEA began a series of name and livery changes ultimately leading to BA........ still using Viscount 800s, until BA left LBA and the reign of British Midland began.

paully
11th Dec 2012, 09:12
Yes do wish them luck..I well remember BKS Viscounts. Twas December 1967 and flew with them up to leeds from Heathrow. Still remember the `in flight catering` which was tea and help yourself from a tray of biscuits that were brought round!!....The two previous sectors on that flight from Capetown had been on a BOAC VC10 and an SAA Boeing 727...The Viscount seemed like Noah`s Ark to a nervous young lad back then..

Give almost anything to fly on one again though. Hope BA persevere with this route, the area deserves this kind of link and needs to be used not abused..

Mooncrest
11th Dec 2012, 11:36
Hear, hear Helen and Paully. Great that BA are finally back on the LHR run after almost thirty three years away. Nice of British Midland to keep the route warm while BA were away ;). I do hope it is a success. Would love to see an Airbus painted in Northeast colours before long. Highly unlikely I know but one can dream...

Helen49. Check your PMs please. Thankyou.