PDA

View Full Version : LEEDS 5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

apaul
14th Mar 2011, 16:52
I would be surprised if any airline is found as flybe was the most likely to make a London route work as it has the right size of aircraft and a high profile as a domestic airline. Jet2 and Eastern have tried and given up routes from Newcastle to London and the competition from the train is even greater from Leeds. BMI is unlikely to return either.

whoshotjimmi
14th Mar 2011, 17:17
BA CityFlyer out of London City? 2 new aircraft arrivals expected in the next couple of months? Could an E170 work on that route? Complete speculation of course.....

Just to add to the points about Jet2, Eastern and BMIr, Jet2 are clearly not interested currently in city destinations and are flying headlong into the charter sector; BMIr are in a reasonable enough decline and have pulled plenty of routes and frequencies from LBA recently to suggest that a return with a London rotation is out of the question even though it is potentially do-able given the correct model; Eastern are concentrating expansion elsewhere and I do not believe LBA to be very high on their list of priorities.

I think if it is going to come from anywhere, it will be something altogether different rather than the "been there done that" airlines.

OliWW
14th Mar 2011, 18:39
There wont be any London replacements by Oct 11 at the earliest... Jet2 wont even think about it surely, Eastern don't like LCY, tried it with NCL in the past and it didn't work, and bmi's interest clearly isnt in domestic services at the moment...

Theres trains every 15 minutes... its easier than having to find your way to LBA and is probably cheaper!

INKJET
14th Mar 2011, 20:26
Spot on OliWW

Add in Leeds cancellations/diversions due weather, snow ,wind, its far easier to catch the rattler to London.

Leeds will never see a LHR connection until/when R3 is built, this past winter has shredded the roads around the Airport and LCC seems in no hurry to fill them in

Chitty
14th Mar 2011, 21:12
the only airline i can think of to do a london route is ryanair to stansted

Helen49
14th Mar 2011, 22:13
Insufficient interline traffic to justify Gatwick or Heathrow (where the airport operators want big aeroplanes, not 70 odd seaters). London City too many restrictions and expensive; it's been tried already; Stansted and Luton non-runners for similar reasons, city centre to city centre traffic...East Coast wins hands down...you can be in Kings Cross before you would have boarded at LBA....well just about!.....and better than been dropped off 16 miles out of town!

There has been a slow but sure demise of domestic air services in the UK over the past ten years (or more) and it aint finished yet! Sad but true!

Lucky Strike
15th Mar 2011, 04:30
the only airline i can think of to do a london route is ryanair to stansted

Been done before A, though not for 20 some years. It was basically a position flight to get the aircraft to STN and back. Never more than single figures on it, it was canned.

LBA - LGW has been done by several operators, none of them stayed on it for long.

LBIA
17th Mar 2011, 17:00
Hi

Been told today that Thomson Airways are upgrading the weekly Thursday PMI-LBA-PMI operation to a Boeing 767-300 this summer 2011 season.

Can anyone confirm if the above news is true?

commit aviation
17th Mar 2011, 23:03
LBIA

That is correct. On a W out of MAN. I think it was swapped from the MAN-SSH route following the recent problems in Egypt.

Flightrider
18th Mar 2011, 08:28
Change to the 763 was made about three months ago, well before current issues in Egypt, but news of it has only just made its way here.

LBIA
19th Mar 2011, 11:30
Hi

Looks like Easyjet must have been happy with the passenger firgures on the LBA to Geneva route which only commenced this winter.

The route has now gone on sale for next winter 2011/12 season. Flights will again be operated 5x weekly on Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sundays

AP1995
19th Mar 2011, 15:36
good news for LBA! will EZY be adding any more routes since the GVA has seemed to have a success?

brian_dromey
19th Mar 2011, 16:31
Does the easyJet flight have a lot of seats sold by travel agents/package operators? Or is this route one that stands purely on it's own?

easyflyer83
19th Mar 2011, 18:47
If any tour operators have seats on it, they will be few.

LBIA
27th Mar 2011, 18:36
Hi

Yet more bad news to report.

It now looks like Holidays4u has dropped its summer charter flights to Bodrum and Dalaman. Holidays and flights are no longer bookable on its website and all mention of H4U has also been removed from LBIA's own website.

Both services were to be operated once weekly by Turkish Airline Onur Air.

MARKEYD
31st Mar 2011, 17:49
Looks like Thomson Holidays have dropped Sharm for the winter 2011 / 12 and just kept Tenerife as a winter hot spot as no longer bookable

AP1995
9th Apr 2011, 09:50
sharm still seems bookable at the moment, & does anybody know about todays thomson flight to grenoble? i know they dont operate the route, i was wondering if anyone knew what it was doing, was it on a charter flight?

LBIA
9th Apr 2011, 11:19
This mornings Thomson Airways flight to Grenoble from Leeds was just an outbound positioning sector for the B737-800, G-FDZU which has operated this weeks Sharm el Sheikh & Tenerife flights

MARKEYD
10th Apr 2011, 14:23
The Thomson web site seems to be well out of date with some services but if you go onto First Choice Holidays web site only Tenerife is bookable next winter not Sharm unfortunatly

Runway 32/14
12th Apr 2011, 09:45
Just read the following link, it explains everything :mad:

Cant say that i am over the moon about this, as Leeds/Bradford need some serious money spending on surface access...
Come On LBA and LCC action needs to be taken, Get your request in for some Government funding and or European funding.

South Yorkshire always seem to get what they ask for!!!!:*

Thousands of jobs and £1.7bn investment as airport link road gets go-ahead - Business - The Star (http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/thousands_of_jobs_and_1_7bn_investment_as_airport_link_road_ gets_go_ahead_1_3277301)

pug
12th Apr 2011, 10:12
The article says they will be recieving £18 million from the regional growth fund. I cant see that being enough to build it. It was estimated to cost over £100 million not long ago.

HOODED
12th Apr 2011, 10:24
What did the councils do with the money they got from the sale of the airport? They should be ashamed of them selves that thay didn't invest some in improving the dreadful road access to the airport. Sounds like time to write to a councellor or two.

Runway 32/14
12th Apr 2011, 10:39
(I am sure the money went on the Leeds Arena sceme!!!!)

In total the doncaster airport region will receieve 1.7 billion pounds, plus whatever they can get from European funding....I doubt that Peel holding actually bought the airport, i think it was given to them!!!! all the cost of developing the airport etc has come from funding from one source or another, non has come from peel itslelf....:confused:

pug
12th Apr 2011, 10:56
In total the doncaster airport region will receieve 1.7 billion pounds, plus whatever they can get from European funding....I doubt that Peel holding actually bought the airport, i think it was given to them!!!! all the cost of developing the airport etc has come from funding from one source or another, non has come from peel itslelf....

I think you've read it wrong. The £1.7 billion quoted is the anticipated benefits to the local economy, along with the 21,000 jobs. Both being quoted by the councils 'regeneration experts', so both figures likely to be largely on the optimistic side.

£18 million is being awarded by the regional growth fund (from a pot of £450 million), yet the estimates for the scheme from a couple of years ago put it at over £100 million, and thats before any soil has been touched so will be a conservative estimate.

The rest of the money is supposed to be coming from the private sector as agreed last year, but the sum total of building the scheme (assuming Peel/VAS would be the other main backer) would be more than the cost of actually building the airport itself.

Makes you wonder whether they have bloated the cost of the 'White Rose Way' scheme in their application to the EU :suspect:

Runway 32/14
12th Apr 2011, 11:27
Sorry, it is a 1.7Billion investment that is predicted, comes from the logistical and industrial distribution space set within 120 acres, which is just off White rose way, i wonder if the logistics park wasnt their, would the link road still be going ahead, its still a massive boost to the airport!!

pug
12th Apr 2011, 11:40
This is not a dont deal, Craig Richmond has said so himself. It rests on the private sector funding to be secured, and its a lot of money to have to secure.

I know there is the planned Rossington Rail Port (is that still in the pipeline?), but does that mean the route would be built in a piecemeal fashion?

As for road links to LBA, would that not be a significantly larger project due to the distance from motorways and the topography of the area?

john2408
12th Apr 2011, 20:15
On the local TV, a spokesperson for the airport.only said that it was good news,for future cargo develpments,easier access for larger loads via road.

wawkrk
12th Apr 2011, 22:13
Maybe some strings being pulled by the likes of Caroline Flint.Leeds never had just one politician who supported the airport, in fact, quite the opposite.

JohnnyRocket
27th Apr 2011, 15:18
I know Jet 2 ran some flights a few years back for a couple of weeks but is there a logistical reason that this route could not be run by Continental for example?

I remember someone saying that the runway wouldn't be long enough or is that just nonsense... but if they've done it before why not?

pwalhx
27th Apr 2011, 15:32
None other than in light of the merger with United we are more likely to see a retrenchment from the regional UK points than an expansion. Belfast for example is going I believe.

roverman
27th Apr 2011, 17:35
Probably no logistical reason why United or another carrier could not fly this route with a 757. There are economic reasons against it however. The main one being saturation - north of England to USA is a limited market already well-served out of MAN by several US majors. Saturating long-haul capacity across thin overlapping catchments usually ends in tears. Bristol couldn't be sustained against LHR. Leeds city region and most of its catchment is an hour or so from MAN, too close and overlapping to be viable for dedicated long-haul, even to New York.

Facelookbovvered
27th Apr 2011, 19:39
Add Cat 1 only on R14 + no autoland (757) R32 and probably RTOW on R32 why would you bother?

sastley
5th May 2011, 12:12
Bad start a 14 hour delay today in plane leaving Manchester for Palma:*

HOODED
5th May 2011, 14:47
Never mind it's TOM so they'll probably save some time by operating the return leg into MAN not LBA.

TOM are really good at looking after LBA pax not!

I was booked TOM ex LBA a few years back and they pulled the flight and operated it from MAN despite excellent bookings, I will never book TOM again as I won't Fly Ryanair after they dumped me and the family in Cork.

Unfortunately not all airlines put the customer first, thank goodness Jet2 are far better in these situations.:ok:

AP1995
5th May 2011, 17:51
so is the palma flight operating via manchester?

aidoair
5th May 2011, 18:37
No it operates into LBA on a W-pattern from MAN. TOM have no based aircraft at LBA. It is meant to operate MAN-PMI-LBA-PMI-MAN.

EXS258
6th May 2011, 19:27
Looks as though it was a mess up in the operations department at Thomson, at the scheduled time of departure to Palma the Aircraft was still in the Maldives waiting to operate back to MAN. Like someone said not a good start, only way is up though from a 14 hour delay!

Jamie2k9
10th May 2011, 15:05
Ryanair Launches Leeds Bradford Winter Schedule With 11 Routes (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-launches-leeds-bradford-winter-schedule-with-11-routes)

Faro and Malta are dropped.

LBIA
10th May 2011, 16:42
Jet2 have announced a new summer route to Las Palmas-Gran Canaria. Flights are to operate once weekly on Mondays from May 28th 2012.

Meanwhile the 2x annual Christmas Shopping charters to New York are now on sale. Flights depart LBA on Thursdays 1st and 8th of December 2011.

newscaster
16th May 2011, 14:22
PIA were expected to be ending Leeds from 11 June but revised schedule now show flights loaded upto next summer.

commit aviation
17th May 2011, 20:41
There is a schedule for the PIA but looking at their website it doesn't appear as if you can book a seat beyond the 11th June.
I hope I'm missing something - it would be a big loss for the airport.

HOODED
17th May 2011, 21:17
A sad loss indeed it was one of their better performing routes. I guess they will just put the flights back into MAN as the demand from Yorkshire can always travel over there.
PIA have been hit by late flights breaking the night time noise rules put in when the runway extension was granted. They reduced from 3 flights a week to 2 to try and mitigate and said they would look at using a 777 to take up the slack as they are quieter than the A310s. It appears the 777 must be a non starter due to restrictions caused by runway length in certain conditions.
Their A310s must be due replacement soon and a perfect replacement will soon be available in the 787 which has fantastic runway performance, unfortunately PIA have not ordered any.
Lets just hope someone can be found to take over the route if they do pull out rather then have the Pakistani community having to brave the M62 again before their long flight to ISB.

OltonPete
17th May 2011, 21:31
There was a post on another forum with a link to an article stating
PIA are disposing of six out of twelve A310's as well as six 733's.

The replacement will be twelve A320's allegedly.

If this article is correct then this might have contributed to the decision
if the LBA route is going.

Pete

HOODED
18th May 2011, 06:28
Seems odd to replace 6 733 and 6 A310 with 12 A320s given the A310 is a widebody medium/long haul aircraft. Maybe they are dropping longer routes and concentrating on shorter routes? Could be more route closures to come?

HOODED
18th May 2011, 06:32
Just found this from January...Odd how things change.

"PIA closes its twice weekly Glasgow-Lahore route on January 22 following an appraisal of its loss-making operations in Europe which could see it pull out completely from some countries. PIA’s decision to axe Glasgow is linked with competition from Emirates, which operates daily from Glasgow to Dubai with onward connections to Pakistan.

Speaking from PIA’s base in Karachi, spokesman Mamoon Rashid said flights from Pakistan to Heathrow, Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds/Bradford were profitable and could be expanded. PIA will also continue with its Manchester-New York route."

newscaster
18th May 2011, 12:44
Leeds ending for sure, now confirmed by the press.

LBIA
18th May 2011, 20:34
Sure dose look like its now confirmed that PIA are quitting the Islamabad route next month. See below link..

PIA discontinuing Leeds flight (http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=47509&Cat=3&dt=5/18/2011)

So I wonder if anyone will come in and replace the Pakistan route anytime soon, And if so which airlines would consider it?

CabinCrewe
18th May 2011, 20:53
"I fully expect PK at LBA to be a dim and distant memory in about 6 -12months. The specifics of LBA profitibility are very much in question along with rest of their network. The protesteth -too much quotes from the UK manager will come back to haunt...."

My quote from January. There were a few here who seemed to think they knew better...:rolleyes:

roverman
18th May 2011, 21:27
I think it was inevitable that PIA would discontinue serving LBA. Undoubtedly there is a large catchment of ex-pats in West Yorkshire but it is simply not economic for a long-haul airline to fragment its operation across multiple airports in a distant country. The only exception to this is perhaps Emirates with their enormous resources and huge global hub at Dubai. PIA is a point to point operator from Europe, and the UK can be well-served from London and Manchester, with Birmingham perhaps the only viable other departure point. Glasgow has gone. For northern England MAN offers good surface transport connections and is free of any operating constraints. We'll see whether additional capacity is put into MAN to take up the displaced traffic.

PIA is coming to terms with commercial realities. As a government-run flag carrier its route network has no doubt been influenced historically by ex pat requirements as much as hard economics. The final reason may well be the retirement of the A310s and the lack of a suitable replacement which can cope with the operating constaints at LBA.

An independent airline might see an opportunity here to compete with PIA's MAN services. Air Blue currently go head to head from MAN, using the A319 via IST.

PQC
18th May 2011, 23:09
I think that in the North of England, the only viable option for long haul direct (and even to certain extent via euro-hubs) will be from MAN. EK from NCL will continue to succeed by way of its geographical postion (albeit a very limited catchment) but anything else is a non-starter. And this includes EMA and BHX (which will always come second fiddle to LHR).

Even in what is a tight, highly competitive market, this is what is happening. It will be interesting to see how prices the the gulf change when there ar (soon) 2000+ seats a day from MAN e/bound...but then again, pax figures from the likes of LH seem to indicate that there are still plenty of people willing to go long-haul via MAN from MUN and FRA.

We live in interesting times...

newscaster
19th May 2011, 17:48
Air Blue are rumored to be considering taking over LBA service.

GayFriendly
19th May 2011, 19:56
Shame about PIA, but economics and no replacement for the ever ageing A310 I guess it was only a matter of time. But IMO I wouldn't be surprised if Air Blue jump in if they can get the rights so all may not be lost

HOODED
19th May 2011, 21:36
Is this history repeating itself? PIA only came on the route when Shaheen operating for a local Bradford travel agent stole a load of passengers from PIA at MAN until the lease on their A310s ran out and they could not renew.

If PIA are getting rid of their A310s then this would explain why they are giving up on a route with 82.5% average load. As for a 50 minute trip to MAN I'd like to see that done without breaking any speed limits unless you are travelling at 0300!

I just hope the local Pakistani community can persude another operator to take up the route. AitBlue/Jet2/EK via Dubai (As per PIAs reason for their GLA pull out) all are feasable, but EK by far the least likley give 3 a day from MAN and 1 from NCL. Jet2 unlikley given 752W are all busy and don't have the legs direct. AirBlue via IST seem the best hope but will the loss of a direct service mean the locals would rather brave the M62?

Hopefully now the airport has a pro active owner we may have some hope but they really do need to sort out the noise issues which I am sure didn't assist in PIAs decision.

HOODED
19th May 2011, 21:49
Roverman

"retirement of the A310s and the lack of a suitable replacement which can cope with the operating constaints at LBA.!

Whilst not currently available have you seen the 787s performance figures? You could connect LBA direct to half the planet with one of those babys. That ac could become a world changer which, if I remember correctly, was Boeings argument verses the A380. Point to point verses Hub to hub.

Interesting times ahead me thinks!

pwalhx
20th May 2011, 07:24
Only problem with the 787 is it still isn't in service and there will be a lot of routes already planned ahead of a possible LBA- Pakistan route, plus PK for example haven't ordered any.

Runway 32/14
21st May 2011, 08:45
I dont understand how an airline can in the space of a few months announce good loads and a profit, with a view to possibly expand its service from Leeds, To high load factors but no profit!!!:ugh:

Sounds to me like PIA are having the same problems as Shaheen had, but are using the 'there's no money in it excuse' as a cover for their own failings, what was wrong with the 777 that they were supposed to be bringing in, loads of nearly 83% is very good, if pia couldnt make a return then there is something wrong, personally i dont believe it:confused:

HOODED
21st May 2011, 14:04
If the loads were as high as 83% as they plainly were, I for one would be surprised if someone doesn't tap into the demand. Lets hope so.

karlee alpha
26th May 2011, 00:05
Heard from someone high up in Servisair that PIA are not pulling out so what is exactly happening ?

wawkrk
26th May 2011, 05:20
karlee alpha

All what you say is true and has already been said by me and others many times.There are some who can still see the "kings new clothes" but even their support must fading.
Bridgepoint are simply investors. In any case, do they have enough money to invest? It was always my view that the promised 80m over 10 years was going to come from yearly profits which may not have materialised.
It is an absolute disgrace and Leeds City council in particular should be ashamed of themselves. They sold to the highest bidder and maybe not the best bidder for the people. Then they have continually placed obstacles and more financial demands on Bridgepoint and even suggested the local roads were not adequate as if it were Bridgepoint's fault after the council did nothing from their side in the last 30 years.

Helen49
26th May 2011, 06:49
Twas ever thus! Look at its history as a civil airport over the last 50 years.

The councils failed and sadly the private sector is also failing.

PPRuNe Pop
26th May 2011, 07:20
Heads up!

Naming names on PPRuNe is no no. A post doing that has been deleted. That is always the case - btw swearing is also not allowed on PPRuNe.

PPP

Runway 32/14
26th May 2011, 09:58
Heard from someone high up in Servisair that PIA are not pulling out so what is exactly happening ?

Now i am getting confused, are PIA staying or going, if they are staying what aircraft will they be using on the route!!! Also their claim that they cant make money from LBA is also confusing, surely in that case it cant have been making money for the past 3 years or so, could do with some clarity around all this....:confused:

newscaster
26th May 2011, 15:02
Yes its confirmed PK are staying on in Leeds, booking reopened.

A300BOY
26th May 2011, 16:19
Yes the booking system is back up and running now ! so maybe the problem has been resolved.

Runway 32/14
26th May 2011, 17:45
Yes the booking system is back up and running now ! so maybe the problem has been resolved.

Thats fantastic news, but i wonder what will happen after December, as you can not book flights after that time!!! I guess time will tell, but for the time been, i'm happy...:ok:

HOODED
27th May 2011, 11:44
Maybe it was a threat by PIA to try to get the authorities off their backs whenever they break the noise limits on a late departure? It will be interesting to see what they do if they do indeed, loose half the A310 fleet. Maybe they will go via IST using the A320s as per a certain other Pakastani operator that competes with PIA out of MAN. :}

Runway 32/14
27th May 2011, 11:52
Who know's,:ouch:
On another forum i have read that PIA will more than likely pull out of Leeds after December, as the yield per seat is not profitable and with the price of oil it is making a loss!!! my answer to that is this, use the b777-200 it is a much more economical aircraft, but i cant see that happening either, not sure what will happen after Xmas, will PIA come back, or fly away forever!!!

LBIA
27th May 2011, 12:31
A full press release has now been issued on the LBA website regarding the continuation of PIA's 2x weekly Islamabad service. It mentions that the route is now the Airport's flag-ship service and that PIA will look into operating the Boeing 777's in the near future”.

PIA to Continue Operating Flights to Islamabad from LBA (http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/about-the-airport/news/2011-05-27-pia-to-continue-operating-flights-to-islamabad-from-lba)

newscaster
27th May 2011, 13:56
They did same with Glasgow, said they'd drop it, were encouraged to stay, then continued flying, proposed 777 introduction, then pulled out after a year or so.

Runway 32/14
27th May 2011, 15:43
I guess only PIA know exactly what their plans are, time will tell, but i hope that they continue to serve LBA for many many more years:ok:

HOODED
29th May 2011, 17:19
Newscaster.

Did PIA not pull the Glasgow after Emirates started nicking their pax and routing them through Dubai? If so the PIA are in big trouble as Emirates continue to expand at a huge rate. LBA should be ok though as Emirates are highly unlikley to look at an LBA route due NCL/MAN. If anything MANs PIA could be in more danger given Emirates continued growth there.

newscaster
3rd Jun 2011, 20:44
This woman influenced PK to stay on Lord Mayor helps Leeds-Bradford International Airport save flights to Pakistan (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus) (http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/business/9060302.Lord_Mayor_saves_Bradford_air_link_to_Pakistan/) I felt someone must have cajoled them into it.

If Leeds is good for PK why are they only doing it twice weekly and why did they decide to pull out, what is the yeild for PK there? loads my be high but if the yeilds dont correspond or go higher no use keeping the route.

as PK chairman said we cannot afford to offer door to door bus service at a loss to company, when asked about Glasgow drop in national assembly.

CabinCrewe
4th Jun 2011, 13:53
Similarly "saved" in Glasgow only to disappear within a year, Mohammed Sarwar or not. Watch it go within 12 months.

Runway 32/14
4th Jun 2011, 14:24
I dont see how an asian babe could flutter her eyes at PK and they decide to stay on at LBA. There must be more to it than that....
Also why do you people from Manchester/Liverpool always knock our small regional airport, i think its great that PK have decided to stay, if they do leave in a years time then so be it, but at least our small airport is trying to retain its services, credit where credit is due, regardless of how short or long this service may last!!!

newscaster
4th Jun 2011, 16:04
Dont act naieve Runway, people with clout do play a role in convincing, she's no babe and must have put in a reasonable educated argument to have them continue, along with something like "we will help you make it successful and if it dosent work in a years time then feel free to discontinue service" as simple as that, airport authority must've played role too, highly reputed carriers too have fallen for these antics.

Runway 32/14
4th Jun 2011, 18:54
Newscaster.........The word you are looking for was naive!!! and i am far from that, you make everything appear to be black and white...and it is never that simple!!!:confused:

CabinCrewe
4th Jun 2011, 19:45
Of the recent posters, who here is from Manchester or Liverpool ? I am certainly not.

Runway 32/14
5th Jun 2011, 08:31
Of the recent posters, who here is from Manchester or Liverpool ? I am certainly not.

I have no idea!!! dont know why i said that, probably because i am biased...lol:rolleyes:

Runway 32/14
6th Jun 2011, 13:46
I was just wondering if Jet2 were still in the market for a couple of B767's, i know they were looking at a couple a year or two ago, but they didnt come to fruition.....

HOODED
7th Jun 2011, 07:29
I believe they're still in the market but only for the right aircraft a the right price. Meeson is no fool, Chanel Express have operated old ac for years and will only buy aircraft that have years of service left without major engineering effort required to keep them airbourne. This is why they have some ex Lufthansa AC in the fleet which are known known to be well maintained. I suspect 767s will arrive once new 787s start being delivered to prestige operators.

Mr Mac
7th Jun 2011, 11:55
You used to get 1/3rd more for ex - Lufthansa jets in the 1980,s. Do not know if this is still the case.

LBIA
7th Jun 2011, 12:18
Here's a link from LBA's Facebook page yesterday regarding an interview with LBA's Tony Hallwood at the routes conference last month. There are some very interesting points and plans that he makes about in it...

Interview with Tony Hallwood, Leeds Bradford Airport - Routes Europe 2011 :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/routes-tv/37/routes-europe-2011/386/interview-with-tony-hallwood-leeds-bradford-airport-routes-europe-2011/)

freightdoggy dog
7th Jun 2011, 16:00
And you used to be able to buy one 737 classic and get 2 free...I said you buy one you get two free...PM is obviously waiting for another Ansett to go bust. Its the car dealer in him, a quick blow over, set of remoulds and everyone arrives happy. It's a modus operandi that has worked well and continues to do so...the only cloud over Yeadon Tarn, is oil prices and the those pesky Irish travellers, nicking his trade on his doorstep. Just don't be surprised if they also kick the tyres on some old Tupolevs'....it's been looked at before !!!! Even MOL is considering it.

Jamie2k9
14th Jun 2011, 14:19
Ryanair Launches Two New Leeds Bradford Winter Routes To/From? (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-launches-two-new-leeds-bradford-winter-routes-to-from-kaunas-and-riga)

Riga and Kaunas

TSR2
14th Jun 2011, 17:33
I said you buy one you get two free

Very funny :ok:

l747
15th Jun 2011, 14:42
LBIA is now weighted towards being a low cost airport, which clearly satisfies a market sector, however it doesn't need a Commercial Director to attract passengers to potential cheap flights and vice versa. Through observation, there have been many promises of route development over the years, and without malice or direct criticism, as it is evident Mr Hallwood would like to bring much, much more to LBIA, the customers and passengers of LBIA are yet to see what the Commercial Director can deliver, as it has been nearly 3 years since Bridge point appointed a new team to the business.

682ft AMSL
15th Jun 2011, 18:28
A bit harsh. PIA, Easyjet and a Ryanair base, all helping to get passenger numbers up to where they were before the recession started would probably count as success in most people's eyes. I'm sure there may have been more had the economic conditions of 2004 - 2006 remained unchanged, but they didn't. Therefore you have to judge performance against the rest of the market and not so much against things that may have been reasonably expected a few years ago.
Also don't underestimate the stuff the airport have done behind the scenes in terms of working with the business community, local tourism agencies etc which has moved on considerably under the new management team - particularly around educating what is available and laying out where LBA can be an alternative to MAN.
I think they'd be the first to accept there is a lot more to do, but in the context of the economic woes of the last few years, there is equally a sense that some progress has been made

l747
16th Jun 2011, 16:12
Thankyou for posting a reponse and I can understand and respect your perspective, however Ryanair and Easyjet are quick and easy wins and are clearly low cost. Yes the economy has played a part in holding back some route development, however,there is still a high proportion of Yorkshire demographic flying from Manchester, Doncaster and Humberside when they could fly from LBIA. It is alledged but not proven, the current management team are "steroiding" the airport with passenger headcount, reducing resources to a minimum, and presenting a very mediocre passenger experience. LBIA management team should not be overtly proud of their achievements so far, but focus more on why they are not attracting other airlines and routes.

TSR2
17th Jun 2011, 09:41
when is this airport going to grow up and sort out proper walkways and air bridges

Perhaps the answer is.... when the airlines are willing to pay a fair rate for using the airport and a willingness to use air bridges.

l747
17th Jun 2011, 12:06
You are both very right in your observations. Again, it is alledged that headcount has been dramatically reduced in the business as a whole and this will mean that less people will have to do much more, which in turn, affects morale and performance and ultimatly hits the fee paying passenger.

Returning to the initial point of inviting low cost carriers to the business, this "easy win" of bringing in business is placing a commercial bias on taking money away from operational revenue - eg landing fees etc.

The direct effect of this low-brow strategy places pressure on attaining money solely through the need of passengers to spend in the airport shops and services and nowhere else, now this may work in an larger airport such as Manchester where the retail message is subtle but effective, however a smaller, cramped and inferior infrastructure such as LBIA does not give a paying passenger the opportunity to enjoy the beginning of their journey.

I suppose the term "fattening the pig for market" would be a good analogy.

karlee alpha
18th Jun 2011, 23:16
I had my last post deleated for naming the incompetent directors but thats exactly what they are! Leeds city council messed up big style by selling the airport to these fools, they rave on about the passenger experience but at the same time rip their customers off by charging £2 just so your mates can drop you off, a further quid to get a trolly and thats 3 quid they have fleeced off you before you have checked in. And once you have checked in you have to face the dirty, too small terminal where there is nowhere to sit so you just have to move about like cattle at a market. Makes sitting on a Ryanair flight seem like luxury! Just where is the new terminal they have been bleeting on about these last 3 years, just what have Bridgepoint invested? The terminal is a disgrace, the runway is like the cobbles of a famous street across the pennines. I have heard one director say he would like to get rid of the little old lady who is sat in the departure lounge eating sandwiches out of tin foil and replace her with high spenders who buy food from the food outlets! So why not make it more affordable for the little old lady instead of the inflated prices they charge. Im sorry for my rant but i have always been loyal to my local airport but this lot of clowns have pushed me along the pennines to what i used to describe as hell but not anymore !

Edited.

lbalad
19th Jun 2011, 10:42
Just noticed on the airport website,that the BH Air flight goes via Humberside!.

Is this planned for the duration of the flights this summer,I'm a little surprised they can't fill a once a week flight from LBA alone.

john2408
19th Jun 2011, 20:34
The Bourgas flights from HUY and LBA have their own flights from 31/7 until the end of September.

Helen49
20th Jun 2011, 05:08
Curious to know exactly what developments have been funded and completed at LBA by Bridgepoint? [Genuine question - Not been near the place for many years!].

Facelookbovvered
20th Jun 2011, 08:50
Its a good question

I think in terms of pax numbers Leeds have done ok, remember that not many years ago nearly 50% of pax number were from bmi of which LBA-LHR were the bulk! regional airports were never going to hang on to the valuable LHR slots, Jet2 came very much at the right time, but they got greedy and expensive, to some extent Ryanair have corrected that and despite all the friendly fares bull sh*t there isn't alot to pick between them, other than FR on time performance make Jet2 look at joke, but we all know that's down to equipment and should improve if and when Jet2 get more NG to operate year round, but the 757's are becoming a bigger problem.

The route network from Leeds is good, but big as the catchment area is its nothing compared with MAN, just glance over your shoulder at poor old MME!

No matter how much they invest it will still be on top of a windy/foggy/sometimes snowy hill with dreadful links to the nearest dual carriageway, let alone motorway

I can't see the runway being rebuilt for under £30m the airlines won't pay the pax aren't bothered, some of the local main roads are far worse.

The real moneyed business man just goes to the South-side or over the hill to join an EK flight

On balance i think Leeds has done ok, but low cost is where the volume is and retail is a volume business

Helen49
20th Jun 2011, 18:22
I was/am interested to know what capital developments have been funded by Bridgepoint.......ie buildings, roads, airside developments/refurbishments etc.

freightdoggy dog
20th Jun 2011, 19:11
Helen 49...I believe Bridgepoint invested in a vending machine to sell pax plastic bags for their 100ml toiletries prior to Security :rolleyes: Hope that answers your question :eek:

682ft AMSL
20th Jun 2011, 21:41
Not quite.

http://democracy.leeds.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=51871

For 2009/10 we have delivered:
– £2.0m enhanced forecourt facilities and short stay car parking.
– £0.6m reconfigured and improved central security search.
– £5.0m of infrastructure improvements.
– £0.4m on a new fuel farm facility.
– £0.35m new Premier Lounge.
– £1.0m of new long stay car parking.

The annual report and accounts are available from companies house for a small fee, and show £13m of capital expenditure between Apr 08 and Mar 10, so seems to be broadly consistent.

Next phase of the terminal development has gone out to tender with a contract value of £4.5m - £6.1m + VAT.

Alas, no details currently about a new vending machine

Helen49
21st Jun 2011, 05:28
Thanks for the information 682.

AIRPORT66
21st Jun 2011, 21:12
Who do the airside operations at LBA like winter ops and bird scarring?

flybymike
21st Jun 2011, 22:40
bird scarring?

That would be rather cruel.

Mooncrest
22nd Jun 2011, 15:53
Bird scaring is done by the Airside Safety Unit. Snow clearance by the Fire Service and the ASU, to some extent.

SWBKCB
22nd Jun 2011, 17:38
http://democracy.leeds.gov.uk/mgConv....aspx?ID=51871

Quote:
For 2009/10 we have delivered:
– £2.0m enhanced forecourt facilities and short stay car parking.
– £0.6m reconfigured and improved central security search.
– £5.0m of infrastructure improvements.
– £0.4m on a new fuel farm facility.
– £0.35m new Premier Lounge.
– £1.0m of new long stay car parking.
The annual report and accounts are available from companies house for a small fee, and show £13m of capital expenditure between Apr 08 and Mar 10, so seems to be broadly consistent.

Next phase of the terminal development has gone out to tender with a contract value of £4.5m - £6.1m + VAT.

Gosh - hope they are better at running airports than preparing Powerpoint presentations.

Also, I love lists like this where the descriptions of the small amounts are detailed but the biggest amount has a nice bland description like 'infrastucture improvements... :suspect:

682ft AMSL
22nd Jun 2011, 19:59
The original powerpoint was fine. The council, being the council, have to upload their documents into a standard template and so some of the formating was lost.

The £5m was (I suspect) the work required to address a problem of deicing fluid draining off into the local streams and becks which had aroused the interest of DEFRA. Given this was a problem dating back to the days of council ownership, I'm sure the wording in the presentation was deliberate. It would have been an interesting moment in the room when that point came up.

It also explains why £5m of spend has not benefited the passenger experience - although the local fish and wildlife are probably feeling the benefit.

EXS258
4th Jul 2011, 18:07
Heard from a friend today who works up at the LBA that Servisair have ordered the equipment to accommodate PIA's Triple 7 going on to say its first ISB-LBA run will be 27 July.

Anyone else heard anything. Having a quick look on their website flight still coming up as an A310 but as always with these rumours about PIA's comings and goings, take it with a pinch of salt until i see it on Yorkshire tarmac!

EXS258

Aircrew101
4th Jul 2011, 20:37
Was talking to one of the firemen the other day and he says that over time is needed as of the end of the month for the PIA for cat nine cover...

Runway 32/14
5th Jul 2011, 08:25
Wednesday July 27th, that's a date for my diary!!!:ok:

Runway 32/14
13th Jul 2011, 21:45
Just thought Leeds/Bradford followers should read this!!!

Ryanair announce Manchester Airport base / expansion

Ryanair has announced it will launch a base and add a number of new routes from Manchester Airport, nearly two years after it axed nine routes blaming airport charges. It will fly to 13 destinations by October, rising to 26 next summer. The airport said it had made some sacrifices to win back the airline.
The airline will initially base two aircraft at the airport from October operating 17 routes. Next summer Ryanair plans to grow to four aircraft and will fly from Manchester to: Alicante; Barcelona (Girona); Bezier; Biarritz; Bremen; Brussels, Dublin; Faro; Frankfurt; Ibiza; Katowice; Madrid; Malaga; Memmingen; Milan; Murcia; Oslo; Palma; Paris; Reus; Rome; Rzeszow; Tallinn; Tours; Tenerife and Valencia.
Ryanair fell out with the airport in August 2009 when a deal to run an additional 28 weekly flights if the airport charges were reduced could not be reached. At the time the airport said its charges were reasonable.
Michael O'Leary, chief executive of Ryanair, said a compromise had been agreed. He said: ‘The market has changed and the tour operators have declined, which formed a large part of the airport's business. I think they have been keen to get us back and we have learned from our mistakes last time.’ He said the new base will deliver up to two million passengers a year.
Penny Coates, chief operating officer of Manchester Airport, said: ‘We have seen a decline in passenger numbers over the last two or three years particularly since the recession kicked in.’ She said the airport had lost Ryanair passengers to Liverpool and to Leeds, adding: ‘We want those passengers back to fly here from Manchester.’

lbalad
13th Jul 2011, 22:38
Well I wish Ryanair had introduced some of those routes from Leeds instead of duplicating Jet2 established routes like Palma,Malaga,Faro,Barcelona etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if this new expanded base at Manchester it to the detriment of the Leeds base.

I for one won't be rushing to fly from Manchester,I prefer flying from Liverpool anyday,if I can't fly from my local airport.

easyflyer83
13th Jul 2011, 22:51
I'm a Yorkshire lad born and bred but you almost sound jealous of MAN.

lbalad
14th Jul 2011, 06:34
I'm not jealous of Manchester easyflyer83,its just that I choose to avoid the airport.

You know when you have a bad meal in a restaurant and vow never to return, thats how I feel about Manchester airport.I think the last time I flew from there was 7 years ago to Orlando on a Travelcitydirect 747.

I just wish that there was a greater choice of destinations from Leeds,especially outside of the eurozone.

I know Ryanair has introduced Tallinn and Riga this winter,but after a visit to snowy,freezing cold Riga a few years ago I wouldn't go back in the winter months,summer yes.

Roll on October when I will be flying Ryanair to Malta,from Leeds of course!.

TSR2
14th Jul 2011, 09:25
I think the last time I flew from there was 7 years ago to Orlando on a Travelcitydirect 747.

Well that explains it then. Nothing like keeping up with the times.

Runway 32/14
14th Jul 2011, 11:25
http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/~/media/Images/lba-airport/airline-logos/thomson.jpg12:30PALMATOM3451EXPECTED 14:36I see TOM3451 is going to be more than 2hrs late arriving at Leeds!!
Anybody know why????

Runway 32/14
14th Jul 2011, 11:31
easyflyer:
It sound more llike Manchester are jelous of Leeds and dont like the idea of losing pax to either Leeds or Liverpool.
I wouldnt be suprised if Ryanair pay a miniscule amount to Man for landing fee's etc...
If you ask me its a case of the big boys trying to squeeze out the smaller regional airports, then when this happens putting prices back up, we all know what Ryanair are like, love you one minute...hate you the next!!!!!
Just my opinion....:bored:

Helen49
14th Jul 2011, 12:37
Rwy 32/14

Right on all counts I reckon!

Concorde Lover
23rd Jul 2011, 16:10
So the station manager at LBA has said PIA is due to pull out in November, if this happens will it suprise any of you, also it does sound like another Glasgow airport situation with PIA.

pwalhx
23rd Jul 2011, 16:20
Actually if you read O'Leary's comments theya re not getting the deal they want at manchester, jealousy works both ways.

As long as Ryanair continue to expand at Leeds thats what matters isnt it?

HOODED
23rd Jul 2011, 18:11
PIA

Ok so whats the story here then? On one hand PIA are putting a 777 on the route starting on July 27th and on the other they're pulling out in November!

Hmmmn:hmm:

A300BOY
24th Jul 2011, 08:21
Probably both statements are incorrect. I dont rembember PIA ever saying they were putting a B777 on the Leeds operation as far as I am aware it is all rumour and speculation so we will have to wait and see wont we.

HOODED
24th Jul 2011, 08:50
"Servisair have ordered the equipment to accommodate PIA's Triple 7"

and

"Was talking to one of the firemen the other day and he says that over time is needed as of the end of the month for the PIA for cat nine cover... "

A300BOY

Sounds like quite a strong rumor to me, and it has been mooted for a while now with the airport doing some work to accomodate a 777. Personally I don't see it happening the margins are too fine off our runway. More likley an A310 until Nov then they'll do a GLA. :*

A300BOY
24th Jul 2011, 10:27
Hooded
I agree with all your points !
The largest aircraft I have ever operated into Leeds was a Boeing 727-200 in my Dan-Air days from Ibiza and the runway looked and seemed marginal to the three of us, similar to the feeling we had at Luton in our A300 yesterday.
I have made no secret of my feelings Lbia has no hope of regular long haul flights until we have more landing/take off distance. However I have been advised in business to sell what you have not what you would like to have.

Runway 32/14
24th Jul 2011, 11:16
I would have thought with a more technicaly advanced aircraft, lighter bodies better engines etc that they would have had no problem with the runway at lba, who knows what the future has in-store for LBA, maybe the new dreamliner might come to the rescue......

AP1995
24th Jul 2011, 11:53
PIA flights are still bookable into Decemeber, so i doubt they are axing the route.

wawkrk
24th Jul 2011, 13:36
A300BOY,
I agree with all your points !
The largest aircraft I have ever operated into Leeds was a Boeing 727-200 in my Dan-Air days from Ibiza and the runway looked and seemed marginal to the three of us, similar to the feeling we had at Luton in our A300 yesterday. [/I]

Blimey,how about if it had been you who flew the 747's and DC10's into LBA then and what about A300's into Bristol.

A300BOY
24th Jul 2011, 17:45
Just to add to my previous comments. As 32/14 reports, the new generation of aircraft should be able to do much more from smaller runways, and that may indeed be our saviour for long haul. I can remember when Bks Airways Elizabethans diverted away from Leeds when the old shorter runway was wet and litttle has changed since then operationally, een now aircraft are still considering diverting when our runway is wet, but of course rules and regulations change all the time.

Concorde Lover
25th Jul 2011, 20:26
Hopefully the 787 will make a difference at LBA.

As for PIA the airline seems to go back on everything they say/do and it was the station manager for PIA who said he been told the route is likely to be pulled after November.

And for ryanair @ Man, it just goes to show they can't have it their way all the time.

Concorde Lover
26th Jul 2011, 14:29
Leeds Bradford Airport boss defends drop off fee

The new drop off parking fee at Leeds Bradford Airport has been defended by an airport boss as necessary to help offset the £3 million cost of upgrading the apron area outside the terminal, the Telegraph & Argus reports.

Tony Hallwood, LBIA commercial director, told Bradford business leaders that the £2 charge for the drop-off and pick-up car park was in line with fees at other airports such as Manchester, Newcastle and Bristol. He added that the introduction of charges followed extensive work on airport facilities, which formed part of a longer-term major investment programme that would see the terminal building and passenger services vastly improved.

Leeds Bradford Airport boss defends drop off fee : Leeds Bradford Airport News Stories (http://www.uk-airport-news.info/leeds-bradford-airport-news-230711.html)

2Planks
27th Jul 2011, 04:43
Cue even more congestion on the laybys and the small roundabouts on the local roads. I will happily walk 100yds to avoid a 2 quid charge.

Suzeman
27th Jul 2011, 09:10
Tony Hallwood, LBIA commercial director, told Bradford business leaders that the £2 charge for the drop-off and pick-up car park was in line with fees at other airports such as Manchester, Newcastle and Bristol.

Rubbish - there is no drop off fee at MAN :=

Not sure about NCL and BRS

Is this a case of misleading people by the Commercial Director or sloppy reporting - or both - a journo just regurgitating a press release without checking?

Suzeman

JSCL
27th Jul 2011, 09:22
I think the LBIA Guy was thinking of the cost of short-stay car parks around Departures. But drop off is definitely free, albeit busy.

apaul
27th Jul 2011, 09:27
But there is a pick up fee at Manchester. The fee at Bristol and Newcastle is £1. Is that in line with £2?

JSCL
27th Jul 2011, 09:30
Pick up fee at Manchester!? Not sure about that. Short stay pickup car park at Arrivals is either £2.00 or £1.50 for up to 1 hour.

Driving alongside Arrivals at least in T2 from my recollection was free.

dwlpl
27th Jul 2011, 09:38
But there is a pick up fee at Manchester. The fee at Bristol and Newcastle is £1. Is that in line with £2?

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/Car

It is easy to pick up or drop off - all terminals have drop off areas. To pick up at the airport you are need to park in the short stay car parks.

We have drop off areas for all terminals. For pick up there is a £2.20 charge for up to 30 minutes.

682ft AMSL
27th Jul 2011, 09:39
He was referring to both pick up and drop off car parking and pointing out that some charge for both and others charge for one or the other, but the principle of some kind of drop off and/or pick up charges are common place.

As far as I am aware, MAN offers free drop off - but no waiting - but there is no free pick up. Indeed, the MAN website has the following comment in its 'Pick up and drop off' section which seems to confirm this

Please note:

There is no free pick-up allowed anywhere on-site. The Turn Up and Pay – Short Stay Price for up to 30 minutes is £2.20

Is this no longer the case - i.e. you can pick up passengers from the terminal front now, for free at MAN?

Of course with fuel prices at £1.30 to £1.40 a litre, there's probably a far bigger cost difference in the drive there and back than there is a couple of pounds in car parking

freightdoggy dog
27th Jul 2011, 10:24
2Planks: I'd be more worried about the price of a pint in the terminal or on board your flight than a drop off charge..£2.50 darn here in BOH for drop off , but then with a pint costing £5 its enough to :{ in yer beer

However the issue of free access to airports is now with EU Transport Commissioner, Siim Kallas. He has said that the EU's transport directorate would raise the drop-off charge with the European Observatory on Airport Capacity, which has the remit to address the question of access to all of Europe's airports.

Just watch the pick up charge double though to compensate for any EU free drop off legislation....and yes its about time those idiots at LBIA put some covered walkways in down the ramp like BRS...We're not all hard as nails twelve cans of wife beater northerners you know :eek:

LBIA
27th Jul 2011, 10:30
Bristol, Newcastle & East Midlands charge £1 while Bournemouth charges £2.50p for pick/drop off fees. Manchester also has a £2.20 pick up free for arriving passengers. (But dose include 30 mins parking)

Meanwhile Airports at Newquay £5, Teeside £6 and Blackpool £10 charge a development fee instead that have to be paid by all departing passengers. Not just car drivers.

So would you rather pay the £6 to £10 development fee instead of the now lower priced £2 (£4 return) drop off/pick up fee which is only paid by car users at Leeds/Bradford?

The fee can be avoided at LBA by parking in the Long stay Car Park 3. As it’s still free to park in there for up to 1 hour. It can also be avoided by using either one of the airport bus services which operate from Leeds (757), Bradford (737/747), Harrogate (737) and Otley (967).

Runway 32/14
27th Jul 2011, 13:28
It amazes me how a company can buy an airport with the promise of a multi million pound investment and developement, then in a deceptive way charge the airport users to pay for the investment!!!!
Does this happen at Leeds City Railway Station!!!! Maybe they should do the same as LBA, as they are going to spend millions doing the railway station up, this way the user will foot the bill and there will be more money in profits for the railway owners. The airport company should not be charging the airport customer for work done, its like Tesco saying that they are going to build a new supermarket, but could all the people that will use it please give us £2 everytime you do.......its disgraceful!!!

wawkrk
27th Jul 2011, 18:55
So where does the money come from?

paully
27th Jul 2011, 19:58
Apparantly you cant stop anywhere near to the terminal to drop off either. They`ve thought of that...according a to a friend of mine who got caught out, they have double yellow peril lines all over the place re inforced by a squad of` `parking wardens` armed with electronic number plate recorders so they know where to send the `bill` to :ugh:

I`m not getting into the rights and wrongs of charging, but sadly word gets out and it sends the wrong signals, which may be to the detriment of LBIA...

Still at least at Liverpool you still get 10 mins free to pick up and drop off :D

wawkrk
27th Jul 2011, 22:01
Liverpool airport returned a 5.1 million loss in 2010.
If they could scrape another couple of quid from each passenger, they would have made a profit. Airport losses have been driven by the demand for lower and lower fares where the airports have to rely on shops and parking. So, those who talk about airport rip offs, would they invest in one? No, I thought not.

Helen49
28th Jul 2011, 06:36
Wawkrk

Well said, the very essence of so many airport problems, or as they say in those parts, 'yer don't get owt for nowt'

2Planks
28th Jul 2011, 09:50
WAWKRK - LBIA is a for profit company in a capitalist country - they can choose to charge what they like. I am a customer in a capitalist country - I can choose my airport. I am equidsitant from 3 local airports. All things considered in business you have to speculate to accumulate. Currently (IMHO) LBIA is a crowded, dirty airport with poor transport links where punctuality is poor (especially if you take into account the time it sometime takes to get from the remote stands). This new charge just makes the experience that little bit worse. Just because other airports do it doesn't make it good business sense, look at the pit of despair that is Durham Tees Valley. That's all.

wawkrk
28th Jul 2011, 12:49
Yeh, whatever.

Runway 32/14
28th Jul 2011, 18:56
Wawkrk: you asked "so where does the money come from"

My reply to that is this:

They are an investment company, it was their company that bought the airport and promised to invest Millions of pounds into the re developement of the airport and its infrastructure, they are in it to make the airport more valuable, but to have an idea and expect other people to invest by been charged to drop off people is wrong.......as an investment company Bridgepoint have their fingers in many pies, do they make charges with their other services in this way.. doubt it

wawkrk
28th Jul 2011, 19:49
Runway32/14

You hit the nail on the head.
Yes they are an investment company not a charity.
How do you invest in a business then sell at a profit if there are no profits?

682ft AMSL
28th Jul 2011, 20:57
It is an irrelevance that Bridgepoint are an investment company. It is just a label which refers to the fact they have raised the money to buy and develop the airport directly from other investors. If another company had come along and raised the money through debt markets, equity markets or even from their own reserves, the same question would be asked

How quickly is the investment going to pay back and how much is the investment going to grow by.

....the basic principle of any investment decision.

The airport management team, who are employed by Bridgepoint to run the airport on a day to day basis are implementing a strategy to attract airlines and routes to the airport by offering competitve landing and handling fees. This is necessary because there is an over supply of airport capacity in the North of England and the number of suitable airlines is reducing because of closure and consolidation - therefore the airlines are in the dominant position.

The natural conclusion to this is that highly expensive capital investment programmes in terminal improvements etc at the same time as airlines paying less to use the airport is not a viable strategy unless alternative income streams are available. In otherwords, if you want growth in the number of airlines and routes and you also want improvements in facilities, then the passengers using the airport will have to pay for this. So, in the last few years we have seen the airport develop new income streams e.g

- charges for baggage trolleys
- premier lounge
- fast track
- tendering for a new taxi provider
- investment in the website and marketing to develop car park revenues
- terminal front car park fees for drop off / pick up

To be fair to the airport, none are mandatory and all are avoidable and therefore customers have a choice.

That said, they have handled the drop off / pick up thing badly from a PR perspective which is unusal given some of key players are usually very good at this. I would have thought they would have been ready to have something to say about the plan for terminal improvements, record passenger numbers, job creation through the Ryanair base and the amount already invested in the airport, but for whatever reason they haven't.

At the end of the day, airlines and airports are not free to use. Costs have to be covered and the costs have to be covered by people who buy airline tickets and use airports.

It's no different at all to the fact that the costs of building a supermarket and stocking it full of beans and other stuff are paid for by people who shop in Tescos and have to pay more for cans of beans that it costs Tesco to buy the beans from Heinz.

Runway 32/14
29th Jul 2011, 09:12
Yes...but the point i am making is this: when you go shopping at Tesco and there is a notice up saying that Tesco is going to invest millions of pounds into the stores infrastructure, They dont charge the customer for dropping or picking people up!!!
At the end of the day airport prices and holidays have gone up, with the added inflated priced all LBA all they are doing is pushing some customers away, they are doing the opposite of what they wanted....surely the best way to encourage investment is to keep the customer happy and not hit them with more charges, :confused:

Anyway, i think enough has been said on this matter, so lets forget it, and move on......:)

Andy_S
29th Jul 2011, 11:58
when you go shopping at Tesco and there is a notice up saying that Tesco is going to invest millions of pounds into the stores infrastructure, They dont charge the customer for dropping or picking people up!!!

They would if they thought they'd get away with it.........

Runway 32/14
29th Jul 2011, 12:50
You wouldnt stand for it, and you would start to go shopping elsewhere...

Andy_S
29th Jul 2011, 13:41
Exactly. But the problem Tesco have is that the competition is on their doorstep – it’s a no brainer to make a 5 minute diversion to another supermarket. Not quite so easy with an airport, which is why LBA can get away with it and Tesco’s can’t……

easyflyer83
29th Jul 2011, 16:56
Exactly. But the problem Tesco have is that the competition is on their doorstep – it’s a no brainer to make a 5 minute diversion to another supermarket. Not quite so easy with an airport, which is why LBA can get away with it and Tesco’s can’t……

Absolutely. The car parking charge will gain plenty of tuts and whinging but ultimately, and this key, it probably won't put them off using the airport. People tend to have short memories and as always they will still look for the cheapest fare or take into account the convenience of an airport. Ironically, the former is probably the reason why such charges are brought in.......because nobody wants to pay the going rate for a flight. No person in their right mind would seriously take into account a dropping off fee......other than the very frequent flyer who wants to prove a point.

682ft AMSL
30th Jul 2011, 16:04
Yes...but the point i am making is this: when you go shopping at Tesco and there is a notice up saying that Tesco is going to invest millions of pounds into the stores infrastructure, They dont charge the customer for dropping or picking people up!!!

The mistake you are making is in trying to compare two different types of business that both operate car parks

Tesco don't charge to use their car parks because they are charging people via the products that they sell in the stores. If you spend £100 shopping in Tesco, then even after they have paid the suppliers, the staff and the bills to keep the shops open and running, they still have about £10 of your £100 left in their pockets to pay dividends to their shareholders, fund investment in new stores and so on. So of course Tesco are charging customers. Just because it is all hidden and wrapped up in your weekly food bill, doesn't mean you aren't being charged.

Airports don't buy and sell physical products, so they have to charge their customers in a different way. They charge airlines a handling fee for using the airport, they charge catering and retail outlets a rental fee if they want to be in the airport to sell stuff and they charge you the passenger for using their car parkis, fast track security and premier lounges etc. In total, all of these fees have to add up to more than it costs to keep the airport running otherwise there is no chance of anyone providing money to invest and there probably won't be a viable business in the long run.

At the end of the day airport prices and holidays have gone up, with the added inflated priced all LBA all they are doing is pushing some customers away, they are doing the opposite of what they wanted....,

Yes, holiday prices have gone up because the cost of fuel has gone up so guess what, that cost is being passed onto you the customer. Again, you the customer are being charged by airlines and tour operators who need to to cover their costs.

surely the best way to encourage investment is to keep the customer happy and not hit them with more charges

You do not encourage investment from customers. You make a solid business case to the people providing the finance to you that you will give them their money back with interest ! They will not give a monkey's about happy customers unless you can prove that happy customers = customers spending more. If however, your approach to making customers happy is by giving them things for free or below cost price, you do not have a sustainable business. We could all sell £10 notes for £5 and have, for a while at least, probably the most satisfied customers of any business anywhere. It would not last long.

freightdoggy dog
30th Jul 2011, 20:45
682ft...I can't resist....We could all sell £10 notes for £5 and have, for a while at least, probably the most satisfied customers of any business anywhere. It would not last long. That will be good old Gordon Brown then !!!!!! :ok:

sparkshy
30th Jul 2011, 22:10
I think a few things need clarifying.

It is £2 if you go in the pick up and drop off but you do get 30 minutes for this.
If more people knew this they would see their loved ones off as they'd like to rather than trying to beat an F1 pit team for the time it takes the car to stop, get cases out and say tarrah whilst driving off.

There is also free parking in the long stay for an hour.
Yes it isnt on the doorstep but there are plenty of FREE buses to get all and sundry to the terminal.

If more people knew things like this (LBA could well publicise it more if it chose to) then the passenger (& those unfortunate enough to be dropping them or picking up) experience would improve big time.

Wait while easter and see how the terminal looks then guys and gals.
:ok:

wawkrk
31st Jul 2011, 02:40
To those who complain about the drop fee, how many use the airport more than 1 time per year.

Concorde Lover
1st Aug 2011, 19:37
Warkrk, to your question i use the airport on average 4 times a year and then i prefer to use the 737 Bus from Bradford as it means, i dont have to pay for car parking or someone pay £2 to drop us off, plus it just as cheap to use the bus £4 return from mine to the airport, cheaper than car parking and the same price as drop off and pick up.

Chitty
2nd Aug 2011, 09:22
lucky u i am from harrogate and the 737 bus from harrogate to the airport is £8 return so its cheeper for me to get some one to drop me off and i think £2 for a harf an hour isnt bad and it dosnt put me off flying from LBA

Hipennine
2nd Aug 2011, 10:09
The thing that all the successful supermarkets (and other truly successful businesses) learned years ago is that you make it easy for the customer to buy, and whatever it is you sell them, they feel that it is fair and good value.

The pax aviation industry seems to have lost sight of these simple business tenets. In this case, the industry is "selling" a journey from Leeds to somewhere else, and not a series of individual components that are mutually exclusive, Scratting around for change at each stage of this journey makes for inconvenience and a feeling of being conned.

And please try and explain what on earth is the economic logic for not charging for an hour's parking and provision of a bus journey from the car park, but charging for a drop off where the customer transports themselves ?

Finally, the benefit of half an hour for your 2 quid is no benefit whatsoever for the colleague who drops off a business-associate without any luggage in 10 secs, but then has to spend extra time finding cash, queueing at the barrier etc., and subsequently writing up an expenses claim.

Concorde Lover
9th Aug 2011, 19:04
Get closer to the Northern Lights with a new flight from LBA

Hurtigruten launches Northern Lights cruise from Leeds Bradford Airport

For many, seeing the Northern Lights is a ‘must do’ on their wish list, and thanks to Norwegian cruise specialist, Hurtigruten, it just got even easier for the people of Yorkshire to fulfill this once-in-a-lifetime dream. A new one-off charter flight has been launched on 25 January 2012 direct from Leeds Bradford Airport (LBA) to Bergen which ties in with a 12-day cruise along the Norwegian Fjords, where the Northern Lights are regularly spotted during the winter months. This is the first time Hurtigruten has offered cruises with flights direct from Leeds Bradford.

The cruise is a 12-day voyage from Bergen in the South to Kirkenes in the far north of Norway, just a few miles from the Russian border. The ship will call at 34 ports along the way, most of which are never visited by the larger cruise liners. There is no better way to experience the Northern Lights than by sailing through the sheltered coastal waters of Norway, on board a Hurtigruten as the Northern Lights are set against a dark sky, free from artificial light. It is also widely reported that this winter is expected to be one of the best years for solar activity and therefore spotting the Northern Lights.

In addition, throughout the 12 days, a wide range of winter activities can be enjoyed with everything from snowmobiling and husky dog sledging to a trip to North Cape or a Lofotor Viking feast.

Tony Hallwood, Leeds Bradford Airport’s Commercial Director, said: “We are delighted that Hurtigruten has introduced this very special cruise package from Leeds Bradford Airport. Passengers will be able enjoy a fabulous Winter Wonderland cruise and also have the chance to see nature’s natural firework display, the spectacular Northern Lights. It’s an un-missable, once in a life-time holiday experience.”

commit aviation
11th Aug 2011, 13:39
It seems Eastern have finally given up on the MME/LBA-SOU route. No flights bookable after the end of the month.
Still - Flybe still serve the route (although the cynic in me wonders if the fares might nudge up a bit now the competition has gone....)

Dawdler
17th Aug 2011, 00:57
Originally Posted by Runway 32/14 http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/339552-leeds-5-a-71.html#post6603611)
when you go shopping at Tesco and there is a notice up saying that Tesco is going to invest millions of pounds into the stores infrastructure, They dont charge the customer for dropping or picking people up!!!

They would if they thought they'd get away with it.........
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

In an idle moment, I read the small print on the signs in a Sainsbury's car park. It seems by parking on their ground you are entering into a contract with them, the terms and condition thereof are available on request. Any fees they get from over stayers or those parked in the wrong place go towards the cost of policing the car park any excess are given to a charity (the name of which escapes for the moment). So they are keen to tell you that they are not making money from the operation of the car park at all.

On another thread, unless I have misunderstood, Ryanair have pulled (are pulling) out of LBA This might hold the key to maximising revenue from passengers by the airport.
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=6603934&noquote=1)

LBIA
17th Aug 2011, 11:18
On another thread, unless I have misunderstood, Ryanair have pulled (are pulling)

Well miss understood Dawdler. The only route that's been pulled is the Knock service due to low passenger numbers.

MOL has already said that Ryanair are quite happy with there LBA based operation. I understand that they have had discussions with the airport regarding adding a 3rd aircraft to the base next summer but nothing has been decided as yet. So weather it happens well is anyone's guess.

Winter routes on sale are as follows. Alicante, Barcelona, Dusseldorf-Weeze, Dublin, Faro, Fuerteventura, Gdansk, Kaunas, Krakow, Lanzarote-Arrecife, Malaga, Riga & Venice-Treviso

Dawdler
18th Aug 2011, 23:53
Thanks for the correction. I consider myself admonished for adding to the rumour mill.
BTW Any chance of a comment on the issues being discussed in the last page and a half of this thread?

Thanks again.

LBIA
19th Aug 2011, 11:29
July 2011’s stats are now out and show that LBA has just had its busiest 12 month period on record.

LBA handled a total of 361,307 passengers in July 2011 which is 3.8% up on July 2010 which saw 309,790 passengers handled.

So LBA saw 10,322 more passengers handled in July 2011 even though it had 3.9% less flights compared July 2010.

The rolling year total is also up 13.4% and now stands at 2,935,983

LBIA
19th Aug 2011, 12:25
Looks like Eastern Airways are to increase there services from Leeds/Bradford to both Bristol and Aberdeen from 2x daily to 3x daily from October 3rd using the ex Air Southwest Dash 8-300's.

Shiver me timbers!
23rd Aug 2011, 21:03
Was looking at an area brief for LBA earlier and it refers to B777/200.

Can anyone shed any light?

Q) EGTT/QFAXX/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5352N00140W005
B) FROM: 11/08/08 10:03C) TO: PERM
E) AMEND LOC 14 W 2.4(2011) ILS CAT 1, LOC 32 W 2.4 (2011) ILS CAT III
AIP EGNM AD 2 EGNM-1-6, AD 2.19-RADIO NAVIGATION AND LANDING AIDS
COLUMN 1 REFERS
ADD PARAGRAPH 1 (L) VISITING GA PILOTS MUST ENSURE THAT THEY ARE
FULLY BRIEFED ON ARRIVAL,DEPARTURE AND TAXI PROCEDURES PRIOR TO
USING THE AERODROME, ATZ ENTRY MAY BE REFUSED,OR FLIGHTS CAN EXPECT
SIGNIFICANT DELAYS IF UNFAMILIAR WITH ATC PROCEDURES. ADD (M) NON
ACL SLOT ALLOCATED GA/BA MOVEMENTS CAN EXPECT SIGNIFICANT DELAYS
BETWEEN 0800-0900 LOCAL,MARCH-OCTOBER DUE TO RUNWAY CAPACITY.
ADD PARAGRAGH 2 (D) B777/200. ADD PARAGRAGH (E) AIRCRAFT ABLE TO USE
INTERSECTIONS FOR DEPARTURE ( PARTICULARLY D1 FOR RWY 32 OR A2 FOR
RWY 14) SHOULD INFORM ATC WHEN REQUESTING PUSH BACK OR START UP
PARAGRAPH 6 ADD. IN ACCORDANCE...

sunshine79
27th Aug 2011, 12:10
Ive heard that the PK is visiting from MAN on 9th September on a test flight, can anyone confirm this?

LBIA
30th Aug 2011, 20:33
According to another forum and having checked it out myself dose anyone know why Leeds has just appeared as a destination in the drop down menu on the British Airways website this evening?

Cazza_fly
30th Aug 2011, 20:42
Newquay and London Stansted has also come up on the menu too...

apaul
30th Aug 2011, 20:53
It appears on the menu because of code shares between flybe and BA.

LBIA
30th Aug 2011, 21:10
So that begs the question as to why would British Airways want codeshare on any of flybe's routes out of Leeds? As they only serve Aberdeen, Belfast City, Exeter & Southampton.

Now I could of understood if flybe still had a Leeds to Gatwick route, so to offer connections but the service was dropped back in March due to the increase in landing fees.

Dawdler
31st Aug 2011, 15:30
So that begs the question as to why would British Airways want codeshare on any of flybe's routes out of Leeds? As they only serve Aberdeen, Belfast City, Exeter & Southampton.

Why should they not? Don't they own part of the business anyway? They might take the view that they are merely publicising the airports that "their partners" use. Any uptake by passengers would be to their advantage would it not?

BKS Air Transport
31st Aug 2011, 18:33
I agree, and I can see the sense of including Newquay, but why Leeds and Stansted? Southampton, Exeter and Belfast City are not in the dropdown list, and I don't think Flybe operate out of Stansted anyway. Perhaps BA are starting a codeshare agreement with another airline. Can't think who though.

LBIA
3rd Sep 2011, 14:47
Anyone know why the Qatar airways, Airbus A320 is at LBA?

Chitty
3rd Sep 2011, 16:30
yer the qatar royle famly is flying out to ibiza in a few days

LBIA
4th Sep 2011, 12:28
I see Loganair are to run a few flights between Leeds and Glasgow this week.

Are Loganair going up against bmi regional on the scheduled route or are these flights just charters been operated?

palomboj
7th Sep 2011, 09:26
Does anyone know why this is at Leeds Bradford, it is rumoured to have brought the Qatar Royals in for a few days.

Does anyone know why or where they are visiting and also when it is due out?

Yak97
7th Sep 2011, 10:13
palomboj

I could tell you but then I would have to shoot you

Best Regards

Mustafa Gun
Qatar Security Forces

StoneyBridge Radar
7th Sep 2011, 10:16
palomboj

Try looking two posts above yours... :rolleyes:

palomboj
7th Sep 2011, 13:41
DAH

Thanks StoneyBridge Radar

commit aviation
7th Sep 2011, 14:09
Looks like there are no Carribean cruise flights from TOM this winter.
Very sad as they have been an fixture at LBA for as many years as I can remember. Sign of the (financial) times as far as long haul is concerned I guess......

Runway 32/14
12th Sep 2011, 16:24
Can someone please tell me why the aircraft at LBA are parking facing out towards the runway!!!
I have never seen them do this before, does it have anything to do with the strong winds that are forcast:confused:

14 loop
12th Sep 2011, 17:35
does it have anything to do with the strong winds that are forcast

Exactly....parking into wind.

Johnny F@rt Pants
12th Sep 2011, 19:00
Can someone please tell me why the aircraft at LBA are parking facing out towards the runway!!!
I have never seen them do this before, does it have anything to do with the strong winds that are forcast

And they've done it plenty of times before!

j636
12th Sep 2011, 20:28
Take a look at how a Flybe and Ryanair flights were landing in Leeds today.

Jet is battered by Hurricane Katia winds | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3810040/Jet-is-battered-by-Hurricane-Katia-winds.html)

Runway 32/14
12th Sep 2011, 20:42
I saw the flybe land on the news (Calander local news) and i saw a jet2 757 abort its landing......it is a hostile place to be up at LBA at times.....

Helen49
13th Sep 2011, 06:20
Silly place to build an airport!

HOODED
13th Sep 2011, 14:35
You have to give credit to the profesionalism of all the flight crew, even those who diverted had a go in what was awful conditions. Yes it's not the best place for an airport but the new Yorkshire airport hasnt been the success peel hoped. At least LBA is geographically well positioned to serve the major cities in Yorkshire. I see BHX also lost some flights too due to the strong crosswinds.

JSCL
13th Sep 2011, 17:07
Nothing funnier however than Schofield and Willoughby on This Morning trying to talk about the planes landing in at Leeds and describing the pictures of Flybe and Ryanair - very funny indeed. "Look at that one coming in sideways, it's not even facing the runway!" - well worth a watch on repeat/on demand if you missed it!

EuroChallenger
13th Sep 2011, 17:42
Just seen on the local news a TCX almost landed and aborted at last minute earlier. The program was BBC Look North screened at 1830 if you are able/want to watch the footage.

pug
13th Sep 2011, 17:46
I would assume that was the TCX A320 they were showing on the late edition of Look North last night?

I understand many passengers will be concerned by seeing an aircraft 'coming in sideways', but where are the people to put them straight? And would people even listen to them anyway? :ugh::ok:

JSCL
13th Sep 2011, 18:00
Indeed - the TCX on last nights I just watched on BBC - BBC One Programmes - Look North (Yorkshire) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mj5m) looks hairy, but definitely looks well controlled, actually highly surprised that wasn't aborted.

pug
13th Sep 2011, 18:14
actually highly surprised that wasn't aborted.

I tought it was?

LBIA
13th Sep 2011, 18:50
The Thomas Cook, A320 from LPA did in fact divert to MAN Yesterday after that aborted landing which was shown on tonight’s BBC Look North. It has again diverted to MAN this afternoon inbound from PMI while every other flight has managed to land today at LBA.

BBC News = BBC News - Leeds-Bradford passengers 'screamed' at aborted landing (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-14898746)

Only 6x flights were lost yesterday which included = 2x Eastern/Air Southwest, Dash 8's and the Thomas Cook A320 to MAN. 2x non based Ryanair 737's went over to LPL while 1x Jet2, 757 diverted over to DSA.

That’s not bad when considering LBA had winds gusting up to 75 knots with a crosswind like yesterday

Runway 32/14
14th Sep 2011, 15:57
Cant say i am surprised when you read this!!!!!

PIA Airbus flights face another EU ban | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online (http://nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Politics/09-Sep-2011/PIA-Airbus-flights--face-another-EU-ban)

LBIA
15th Sep 2011, 14:44
I see good old Thommo’s are back up to there usual ticks again at LBA today.

Boeing 767-300, G-OBYG arrived on time operating the inbound TOM3451 service from Palma. But the aircraft has just departed empty and positioned down to Gatwick for some reason.
Thus the 300+ outbound TOM3450 passengers heading out to Palma have been left stranded at LBA.

So I guess the passengers will be having a bus ride over the hill to Manchester?

Runway 32/14
16th Sep 2011, 12:22
I was at the 14 end of the runway when the Thomson 767-300 landed, and i was still their when she departed just after 2pm. I never noticed anything wrong, she did seem to leave the runway early which did surprise me!!!!!!
Why would she depart for Gatwick and leave her Pax's behind...it doesnt make sense.......

Runway 32/14
16th Sep 2011, 12:27
I see the Ryanair flight RYR1502 diverted into Stanstead this afternoon, with an general emergency.......Is that a because a passanger has been taken ill..!!!!!

Runway 32/14
16th Sep 2011, 12:40
It seems yesterdays Thomson flight 767-300 whent to Luton, then Gatwick!!!!! Info taken from Libhomerader....

FlightnumberRoutingLast contacted [UTC] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time)EGGW-EGKKno date availableCodeAirport nameCountryLATLONLTN / EGGWLondon/LutonUnited Kingdom51.883330-0.351667LGW / EGKKLondon/GatwickUnited Kingdom51.148056-0.196667Distance for the entire flight75.14kmEstimated flighttime0.10 hours

LBIA
16th Sep 2011, 13:14
Just found out that why Yesterdays Thomson B767 G-OBYG positioned down to Gatwick as TOM9019 leaving the LBA to PMI pax behind. It was for operational reasons.

The aircraft was needed down at Gatwick to operate the TOM092 long haul service to Cancun. The LBA Pax heading out to PMI were sent over the hill on buses in the evening and they departed MAN at around 21:00 last night on a replacement aircraft which was B767-300, G-OBYE.

GdLSF
16th Sep 2011, 14:40
Just shows what Thomsons think of their LBA pax.

StoneyBridge Radar
16th Sep 2011, 15:40
Chips.....Shoulder....Here we go again. :rolleyes:

LBIA
17th Sep 2011, 15:17
I see the runway at Leeds Bradford was blocked for an hour or so this morning due to one of Multiflight's Beech 76's, G-OADY suffering a nose wheel collapse.

1x flybe Dash 8 from Belfast City had to divert to Manchester. Other flights are delayed due to the knock on effect of aircraft been stuck on the deck.

See following from BBC news: BBC News - Leeds Bradford airport: Plane lands with wheel problem (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-14958957)

Runway 32/14
22nd Sep 2011, 15:04
Does anyone know why TOM81H (B767-300) to Palma didnt depart until 15.50 this afternoon?

Set takeoff thrust
22nd Sep 2011, 19:57
Inbound crew reported a fault with the R1 service door which didn't need reporting! The door was just a bit stiff to open so because it was entered into the tech log a TOM engineer had to drive over from Manc to sign the tech log!

Whilst waiting nearly 2 hours for the engineer to arrive the 76 was moved up onto stand 23 to allow the Ryanair onto stand 8.

AP1995
22nd Sep 2011, 21:09
on the LBA website new feeds it says TCX & LBA have a strong bond and are looking forward to a positive furture working together, could this be implying that TCS will be adding more routes or maybe another aircraft?

682ft AMSL
22nd Sep 2011, 21:31
Thomas Cook have merged with the Co-operative travel group, who have a fairly significant high street presence in Yorkshire; about 20 stores within 10 miles of LBA. No doubt the airport are hoping a bigger distribution network will encourage TCX to make more capacity available locally. With the recent management changes within the Thomas Cook Group, the strategic review and the performance of their share price, I doubt they are in a particularly expansive mode on the airline side, so keeping what the airport has currently might be deemed a success.

Runway 32/14
23rd Sep 2011, 11:11
For the people who have yet to see the Thomson B767-300 @ LBA
you can see it here:

B767-300 Landing @Leeds Bradford Airport - YouTube (Landing)

Leeds Bradford Airport - YouTube (Taking off)

Runway 32/14
6th Oct 2011, 09:57
I see that todays flight to and from Palma for thomson will be operated by a b757, is that it now for the 767 on this route!! will it go back to a 737 for next summer!!

Set takeoff thrust
6th Oct 2011, 21:19
Certainly was a B757-200 today G-OOOX operated the PMI, the B737-800 is planned to be operating the PMI route next year, obviously this could change between now and then though......

LBIA
6th Oct 2011, 21:53
Yep its already been changed. As next summer see's the weekly Thomson Holidays flight to Palma been operated on a Tuesday by an Air Europa, Boeing 737-800 instead of a Thomson Airways own aircraft.

The weekly Friday, Corfu service remains operated by an East Midlands based Thomson Airways, Boeing 757-200 for now. But this is most likely going to change as they are said to be looking for a replacement airline operator.

In the long term I hear Thomson Airways want to fully pullout of LBA. I know they wont be missed, due to there constant messing around.

OliWW
6th Oct 2011, 22:29
Won't be in 2012 that LBA will lose the CFU ops by Thomson itself, that will definitely be operated by a 752 next year.

Runway 32/14
7th Oct 2011, 09:50
In the long term I hear Thomson Airways want to fully pullout of LBA. I know they wont be missed, due to there constant messing around
Why is it that Thomson have such a strained relationship with LBIA!! but they seem to get on okay over at DSA and other airports!!! i have never flown with Thomson, so i wont miss them, but i will miss the one off's like the 767, which has been a pleasant surprise for the whole of the summer, i will miss seeing that coming in.....

Shed-on-a-Pole
7th Oct 2011, 17:44
I would suggest that any strain in the relationship between LBA and Thomson is down to the fact that TOM, more than any other company, was the one whose enthusiastic endorsement of the DSA project made the whole venture possible. In the early days, TOM had very grand plans for the DSA operation and these would have competed with LBA interests. As we all know, real world economics have intervened since then, but LBA must still view TOM as a major backer of the airport's newest competitor.

lbalad
10th Oct 2011, 06:12
Just returned from a weeks holiday in Malta flying Ryanair,no complaints there,flights arrived early both ways.

Flew out sunday afternoon 2nd Oct,and I have to say I was embarrassed at the shocking state of the terminal.It was literally full to bursting point.You could hardly get through the duty paid shop to get to the lounge due to the huge queues for people to pay for their purchases.

On entering,the lounge resembled a cattle market,downstairs bar was like a rugby scrum,about 6 deep at bar.Went upstairs thinking that would be quieter,just as bad.Huge queue at bar,not a seat to be had anywhere.People sat and laid all over the floor,and staircases.

Seems like quite a lot of passengers on our flight had travelled over the pennines and from north east.Couldn't tell you the number of comments I heard from people vowing to never fly from Leeds again.

Anybody know what the latest is on the terminal redevelopment?.After this latest experience I would certainly think twice again about flying from my local airport in its current state.

ILS32
10th Oct 2011, 11:11
I will be flying Thursday afternoon and not looking forward to it at all.Since they got rid of half the seats to extend the bar areas its gotten beyond a joke.The passengers come second to generating profit. If and when the extensions are started then things should improve.At the moment the terminal is a disaster area at peak times,and there will be a lot more people looking to travel anywhere but from Leeds/Bradford.

rpmac
10th Oct 2011, 11:33
The good news is... more and more people are using the airport, including myself and others from Scotland, unlike several other airports that are struggling to find passengers and the really good news is.... the terminal IS being enlarged to meet the increased numbers. It could be worse. I would rather have an airport that is bursting at the seams with more services being provided, and plans to make it better and bigger, than an airport that is steadily getting emptier!

TSR2
10th Oct 2011, 11:44
Just returned from a weeks holiday in Malta flying Ryanair

Whilst I am sure your assessment of the terminal conditions at LBA are accurate, I find it somewhat ironic that you travel with an airline (and no doubt paid peanuts for your ticket) that must contribute little or nothing in support of the airport, yet you complain about the lack of facilities.

pwalhx
10th Oct 2011, 14:14
I arrived back at LBA from Prague on Thursday, parked remotely from the terminal and had a fair walk in the pouring rain to the arrivals entrance, soaked wet in the process. Then was met with a lengthy queue for immigration (which I know is not the airports fault) but that is what gives a bad impression.

Add to that £2.00 to be dropped off and the congestion inside the terminal it adds to disgruntled passengers and that must be a concern to the airport. The extension should have been done by now.

lbalad
10th Oct 2011, 15:08
TSR2,

Paid £125 each for the flight,peanuts for you maybe but not me.Unfortunately there is no option other than Ryanair for flying Malta to Leeds direct.

I like to fly from my local airport as it's convenient.However this latest trip may sway me to travel from somewhere else next time.

The terminal just cannot cope with the sheer volume of passengers using it now.I know the summer season is coming to an end,and it will not be so busy over winter period.Hopefully the airport owners will put in place some measures to try and ease the chaos in time for next years summer season,but I won't hold my breath.

LBIA
10th Oct 2011, 15:22
They should be an announcement from LBIA regarding the Terminal Building works that are going to take place over the winter sometime within the next week or so. Tuesday, October 18th has been mentioned as this will be the same day as the airport celebrates its 80th anniversary. Contractors are expected to be on site from November onwards.

The planned building extension has been put off for now but a re-furbishment of the existing facilities will be taking place which will incorporate a new larger security area, A new mezzanine floor will be added above the Check-in Hall A area to allow the free flowing of passengers. Also the airports landside facilities on the first floor will be no more, as all this area will become part of the new much larger departure lounge.

Some works have already commenced. The PIA ticket desk has been moved over into Check-In hall B while the airport offices on the first floor have been moved into the basement, gate 38 area.

All the planning files can been found here in PDF's:
https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=KCDK9AJB0FZ00

Ground floor plan = https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/online-applications/files/FC630E8ED44EB106E09CBB74A83ABE26/pdf/08_06944_FU-11_9_00153_-_GROUND_FLOOR_PLAN-467015.pdf

First Floor Group plan = https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/online-applications/files/DE12EB4CFAA5E4F7690A5A5D60DA86F9/pdf/08_06944_FU-11_9_00153_-_FIRST_FLOOR_PLAN-467016.pdf

lbalad
10th Oct 2011, 19:28
LBIA,

Thanks for that info,I suppose something is better than nothing.

Good to hear that the airport are obviously aware that things cannot continue as they are.

It really was an eye opener to hear so many people say they would never use LBA again because of the chaos in the departure lounge.

Hopefully next summer we will see the difference.

rpmac
10th Oct 2011, 19:43
Last week I took an elderly relative back to Edinburgh airport for her flight back to Southampton. She lives near Bournemouth and has flown Edinburgh Bournemouth before with Ryanair who of course do not fly this route anymore. Now does she complain about having to travel to Southampton, no, she complains she doesn't like Edinburgh airport because of the long walk down the new east pier, Flybe gate!
You cannot please everyone!! Of course she will still use Edinburgh just as many more will continue to use Leeds I am sure. Nevertheless the LBA management must feel that the expansion cannot come too soon.

airforced
11th Oct 2011, 08:46
You are spot on lbalad. It has been getting worse and worse in recent times due to the "improvements" Bridgepoint have been making. I used to look forward to travelling through LBA as it was quite a pleasant experience. Not any more though. It is a bad as MAN T1 first thing in the morning.

I hope, as LBIA points out, that the work starting next month will solve some of the chronic overcrowding problems currently we have to endure. It is just a shame that the ever smiling Border Control lot can't be given a makeover too as we would then have an airport passengers would enjoy using again!

TSR2
11th Oct 2011, 10:41
It is a bad as MAN T1 first thing in the morning.

Then it's quite acceptable then.

ILS32
11th Oct 2011, 12:37
Everybody knew the the airport was expanding but the joint councils that owned Leeds/Bradford did not have the money to spend too accommodate the expansion.Unfortunately it was sold to Bridgeport who in my opinion were the wrong buyers of the airport.They have spent money on the commercial side of the airport to expand their income ie extend the bar area and the shops.This is not the problem,they are there to make a profit and recoup some of the cost of purchasing the airport.They also want to maximize the revenues ready for any future sell off.The downside of this strategy and we are seeing the result of that now in the over crowding at peak times,is it has taken to long from the planning stage to the actual implementation of the terminal extension.Once the terminal extension is completed the potential loss of passengers will be reversed. The stats show passenger numbers growing each month so we can't be losing too many. I moan sometimes about the departure lounges but I wouldn't want to fly from any other airport if the flights are available.I suspect most people think the same and at the end of the day the time spent in the terminal isn't that long.

EBC-S9
11th Oct 2011, 18:20
The PIA ticket desk has been moved over into Check-In hall B while the airport offices on the first floor have been moved into the basement, gate 38 area.

No it hasn't, its still in hall A next to the Servisair ticket desk.

LBIA
11th Oct 2011, 20:50
Are right I had heard that the PIA ticket desk was to be moving shortly, Seen that it would make more sense for them to be over in Hall-B now that additional check-in desks have just been fitted with systems suitable for PIA flights.

I understand that the new system in Hall-B allows PIA to use up to 8 check-in desks at a time and so enables them check-in more passengers when and if ever they decide to replace the Airbus A310's with Boeing 777-200's.

EBC-S9
11th Oct 2011, 21:05
I don't imagine them moving it again considering it's all been branded where it is, plus they coordinate primarily with the business desk at 7.

At present there are only four codeco systems in hall B that double up with Jet2's.

TopazBlue
20th Oct 2011, 18:26
The departure lounge is awful now, no seats, we had to sit on the floor as not one seat was available. This is the norm for us as we always fly in school holidays 3x per year and the airport is packed out. Not a pleasant experience when we take dad who is in his 70's and having to sit on the floor, I moan to myself every time I fly, but I prefer to fly from my local airport that is only 5 mins away, rather than a long trek over to Man. Come on LBA, give passengers more seats in the departure lounge and less shops that never have any customers in like the Croc's shop upstairs!:ugh:

GdLSF
21st Oct 2011, 15:22
If you travel in school holidays you are going to struggle to finds seats whichever airport you fly from. I have flown from LBA 3 times this year at various times of the day (not school holidays) and always been able to find a seat.

LBIA
21st Oct 2011, 16:03
LBA saw yet another creditable 4.3% increase in passenger numbers for the month of September 2011. A total of 328,380 passengers passed through the terminal.

The total year rolling figure now stands at 2,954,941 which now means that LBA is only 45,059 away from hitting the 3 million passenger mark for the first time in its 80 years of operation.

-----
On another note

It is also worth pointing out that the airport celebrated it's 80th Anniversary this week and saw a few flypast's take place on Monday of 2x Belgium F16's, and RAF Tucano, Tornado GR4 and VC-10.
Yesterday afternoon also saw the Battle of Britain Memorial flight Lancaster-Bomber and a RAF Eurofighter-Typhoon F.2 make a visit.

kingdee
23rd Oct 2011, 21:14
Jumbo jets could soon be a regular sight at Leeds Bradford Airport if plans to introduce a Boeing 777 by Pakistan International Airlines get the go ahead, the Telegraph & Argus reports PIA has confirmed that it is planning to introduce the plane on its twice-weekly run to Islamabad and did not rule out expansion plans in the future.
The 777 is the world’s largest twin-engine aircraft and has twice the passenger capacity of any of the aircraft operating from the Yeadon airport. The wide-body ‘jumbo’ can carry 440 passengers. The largest aircraft that operates out of Leeds Bradford, the Airbus A310, can only take up to 220 passengers.
The Airbus A310 also pales in comparison in its dimensions with a wingspan of 44 metres and an overall length of 47 metres compared to the 777’s 61 metres and 64 metres. Originally, the introduction had been planned for September but this has been put back until the summer schedule in April.:D

rudolf
23rd Oct 2011, 21:46
A310 with 220 passengers? The Jet2.com 757 can carry up to 235 pax!

Wellington Bomber
24th Oct 2011, 07:56
probably with the same seat pitch the A310 could carry 700?

LBIA
2nd Nov 2011, 14:16
Jet2 have just announced a new 3x weekly route from Leeds/Bradford to the brand new Berlin-Brandenburg Airport

Flights will commence from 1st June 2012 and operate on Tuesday, Friday & Sundays

LBIA
2nd Nov 2011, 14:27
And it looks like there could be further good news for new routes as well within the next 24 hours.

As I here Michael O'Leary is booked on the early FR152 service from Dublin tomorrow morning and will then be holding a press conference at the airport regarding further ryanair expansion for summer 2012.

Seljuk22
3rd Nov 2011, 09:11
The new Berlin airport opens 3rd June. The 1st flight will end in SXF.

LBIA
3rd Nov 2011, 10:56
Ryanair have just announced that they will be basing a 3rd aircraft at LBA from next summer 2012.

6 new routes have also just been announced to Chania (Crete), Corfu, Dinard, Kos, Milan (Bergamo) and Tenerife and extend its popular Kaunas and Riga routes to its summer 2012 schedule.

AP1995
3rd Nov 2011, 17:19
Looks like they are going head to head with thomson and thomas cook on these routes! fantastic news though

SFCC
3rd Nov 2011, 19:44
TCX don't fly to Chania, Dinard, Milan, Kaunas or Riga.

AP1995
3rd Nov 2011, 22:07
yes but
thomson-tenerife & corfu
TCX- crete, ryanair replaced the kos service

Jamie2k9
3rd Nov 2011, 22:59
Ryanair have just announced that they will be basing a 3rd aircraft at LBA from next summer 2012.

6 new routes have also just been announced to Chania (Crete), Corfu, Dinard, Kos, Milan (Bergamo) and Tenerife and extend its popular Kaunas and Riga routes to its summer 2012 schedule.

Planned to be:
Chania - 1 weekly
Corfu - 1 weekly
Dinard - 2 weekly
Kos - 1 weekly
Milan-BGY - 2 weekly
Tenerife - 2 weekly
Riga - 2 weekly
Kaunas - 2 weekly

ILS 119.5
4th Nov 2011, 13:26
A B777 in at Leeds, what kind of glue do the Telegraph & Argus staff sniff ? The smallest triple seven needs at MTOW needs at least 2500m of runway. So for the guys at the T & A keep on sniffing :)

POL1W
4th Nov 2011, 16:13
We have been here before with this discussion. The 7 hr flight from Leeds to Islamabad is not at the aircrafts maximum range or max take off weight, therefore it can operate.

LBIA
8th Nov 2011, 11:05
bmi regional have applied for a 3x daily ERJ145, Leeds/Bradford - Frankfurt service commencing from March 26th 2012.

I understand the slots were applied before the sale of the bmi group was announced. I just wonder if Lufthansa might pick up the slots themselves now?

HOODED
9th Nov 2011, 14:34
Given bmi are now doing FRA from EMA I would be surprised if a flight fr LBA woldn't have a detrimental effect. Now FRA have a 4th runway and thus more capacity I am surprised Jet2 are not interested in adding FRA given the DUS seems to do ok.

LBIA
10th Nov 2011, 12:44
Well according to the slot co-ordination for next summer 2012 season its looking like Thomas Cook are upgrading there LBA based operation from the current Airbus A320 to a Boeing 757-200.
But what is baffling is that Monarch have also filed for the same flying pattern and times as the Thomas Cook using a B757-200 as well.

So are Monarch going to be leased in to do Thomas Cook's charter flying from LBA next summer instead of been operated by there own based crews?

Cazza_fly
10th Nov 2011, 13:00
So are Monarch going to be leased in to do Thomas Cook's charter flying from LBA next summer instead of been operated by there own based crews?

There were rumours of this on another thread in the forum, that the MON 757s could be operating on behalf of Thomas Cook for next summer. I think most people just presumed it would be from GLA/NCL/MAN and never thought of LBA.

lbalad
19th Nov 2011, 10:25
Just noticed on the airport website,that you can park free for 60 minutes in the long term carparks,for picking up and drop off of passengers.

Is this a new scheme,can't say I have noticed it before.The terminal front drop off remains £2 for 15 mins or £5 for 30 mins.

Anybody know if work has started on the interim terminal improvements yet?