PDA

View Full Version : STANSTED - 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Seat62K
29th Jun 2009, 05:51
Wasn't the opening of the new extension to the eastern end of the terminal meant to put an end to this?

Musket90
29th Jun 2009, 08:04
Maybe - but no matter how much space there is if the manpower isn't sufficient at late evening peak arrival times to deal with the more stringent immigration checks then long queues will continue and the same applies for baggage no matter how many reclaims there are.

At least the meeters and greeters landside should have some more space for the lengthy wait provided extra retail outlets haven't used it.

General_Kirby
29th Jun 2009, 18:11
When are Swissport gonna stop sacking people and actually employ people to work the handling contract they were given by Ryanair. Every night now aircraft hold of stand, in some cases for 15+ minutes. Not acceptable.

daz211
30th Jun 2009, 11:17
This mornings airasiax flight was painted in La Raiders colours, all grey with raiders, full size down the side and Raiders shield on the tail, sorry no time for photo but looked very nice.

If you want to take a look search reg [9M-XAC] on a well know airline
photo site ...

Hollymead
30th Jun 2009, 20:45
Your showing your age , they have been the Oakland Raiders for the last 14 years . ;)

spirit of the age
2nd Jul 2009, 19:17
What is happening with servisair? Word has reached my delicate ears that indicates that they have filed ANOTHER HR1 form. Surely they cannot be downsizing again so quickly on the heels of the recent redundancies?

Please take this up in 'Flight/Ground Ops, Crewing and Dispatch' to save us having to move it there.

Thanks
The Mods

Skipness One Echo
4th Jul 2009, 00:46
Arrived late on Thursday evening on the Ryanair from Ciampino and the queue, sorry I mean scrum for the UK Border check was immense. The hall was literally full, and the overwhelming majority of the desks were manned.

The atmosphere was pretty impatient and I could see it turning nasty with so many tired people crammed into such a confined area. There was occasional furtive chanting and loud sarcasm, this I am sure puts undue pressure on the people at the desk securing our borders. Babies were screaming and the elderly were swaying as the heat and crush built up. I of course had to have a passport to leave my own country, our Italian compatriots can wander in with what looks like a library card that I doubt can be verified in the short time available to the checker. The British passengers were embarrased at what a mess this was, and Labour was getting most of the blame.

However in fairness I'm not sure what else can be done. Checks need to be made, plenty of staff were present and the building has just been massively extended to cope. Of 20 desks, about 15 were manned and it still ground to a halt. On a hot night, it has all the ingredients for public disorder!

On another unrelated note, Stansted has a new runway, 04 / 22 as the magnetic pole contines on it's merry way!

rutankrd
4th Jul 2009, 06:47
Revolutionary idea Join Schengan and stop harassing Jenny and Helen from Basildon or ideed Mr U Johanson and her 4 illegitimate children.

Redeploy The Border Force to more effectively deal with illegals .OH and use the Schengan cross border powers !

Day to Anti-terrorism and building protection is Police responsibility.

All this fortress Britain stuff is purely political.

Skipness One Echo
7th Jul 2009, 14:10
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Essex | Runway rename as North Pole moves (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8136307.stm)

So when I flew STN-CIA-STN last Thursday, passing the holding point for to 04-22, did I depart on Runway 05 or 04 ?

pabely
9th Jul 2009, 16:46
On another unrelated note, Stansted has a new runway, 04 / 22

So the outgoing BAA have got their own way and the nimey's didn't even notice!:}

LTNman
21st Jul 2009, 12:33
Seems to be all going wrong for this Essex outpost. At least the queues to get airside or to pick up luggage around midnight should now disappear. :}

I never realized how much Stansted relied on Heathrow subsidies to keep the airport ticking over. Now that the money is no more the airport seems to be in decline.

pamann
21st Jul 2009, 13:36
Any up date on Summer 2010 charter scene at Stansted. I see Thomson have added Sharm El Sheikh for next summer, how about Thomas Cook any new routes/additions there?

TUGNBAR
21st Jul 2009, 22:44
Whats happened to Hangar three!!! drove past what is left of it tonight!!!

chiglet
21st Jul 2009, 23:26
So the outgoing BAA have got their own way and the nimey's didn't even notice

Is that Not In My Empty Yard [s]......:E then?

Hounddog1
22nd Jul 2009, 15:57
Its been condemed for ages, unsafe to put aircraft in it.

BAA stored their own snow clearing equipment in it for ages, now stored outside, so no doubt when winter comes it wont start !!

Fond memories of Hanger 3 and putting Air UK Fk100s in their for maintenance, damn scary at night though !

TUGNBAR
22nd Jul 2009, 17:56
Shame it been taken down must have had some history to it!! I remeber the talk of a ghost in there (doesnt every hangar). Nice viewing area now from Landside!! could we see a spotters area n the making!!!??

Skipness One Echo
22nd Jul 2009, 18:46
could we see a spotters area n the making!!!??

Nooooooo!!! Walls must be built and larger fences with razor wire. Furthermore more staff with bright yellow shiny shiny jackets must be taken on board, trained ( or not ) to patrol the area and keep the great unwashed away from the secure, magical, sterile airport environment that is the Cathedral of Ryanair. Nothing to see here now move along or we'll have you shot....

pabely
22nd Jul 2009, 20:49
Any old pictures in it's heyday?

Icare9
2nd Aug 2009, 10:19
grrrr!!! Went to Stansted last night to pick up daughter and kids. Arrived early (well, on time but their flight delayed, so went round to McD for a bite. Got the call that they had arrived but that the Pick Up zone had been closed. They were being taken to what eventually turned out to be the Orange short stay car park. OK, thought I, that's a bit of organisation, obviously the police have had an alert and have efficient alternative arrangements in place. (Should have realised that it's England and no one seems to have a "Plan B" if things go wrong...)
So off I toddle to the Car Park. Lots of people in similar situation, long queues of cars for the Car Parks or just parked along the kerb. Police pull up and queue starts moving at the Green Car Park, but I pootle on to the Orange Car Park as instructed. Ah ha, ticket barrier.... No problem, not my fault, Pick Up was open when I arrived previously, now it's blocked, so as I and my passengers have been sent here, they obviously have arrangements in place.... In, passengers right by the B/C row, bags in, all in, off again..... 2 mins tops and that's weaving around all the other cars looking for their passengers. Off to the barrier, press telephone button and eventually some one answers.... "Please raise the barrier", I ask, "the Pick Up zone has been closed by the Police, obviously a security alert, been directed here, straight in, got my passengers and I'd like to leave please."
"You'll have to pay" came back the reply "No, I didn't want to come here, but the Pick Up is closed and the Orange Car Park is where my passengers have been directed. it's gone midnight, there are queues building, not my fault I'm here, please raise the barrier" You used the car Park, so you must pay" "No, no, no, no, no" (now in Clarkson mode) "I didn't want to use you Car Park but I couldn't use the designated Pick Up zone, please raise the barrier". "You must pay", "No", "Yes":ugh: .... After 10 minutes of repeats, my daughter went and paid (well, to use the ticket machine controls you need to be close, so then you can't get out and reversing into a dense pack of cars......???)
While this was going on, various drivers using the other barriers were telling us that this frequently happens....
So, is this a nice little earner for Orange Car parking, close the Pick Up and drop Off, tell people to use the Orange Car Park, but have no arrangements in place to let them out without a rip off charge? what was most annoying was the 2computer says No" attitude, and my daughter had only euros, so it was a scramble to find the £2.50.
I can fully understand people venting their frustration and had there been anything breakable, I would have done so.:E
I could not have been the only one, does it happen frequently and is that why so many were parked up on the verge because they have been caught before?
Is this a scam to con money out late at night? Have others been "caught" this way?

LTNman
3rd Aug 2009, 05:35
Report here Ryanair check-in chaos at Stansted : Stansted Airport News Stories (http://www.uk-airport-news.info/stansted-airport-news-020809.html)

Hundreds of holidaymakers missed their flights from Stansted Airport yesterday after Ryanair failed to open enough check-in desks, the Times reports. Only 11 such desks, or ‘bag drops’, were open on one of the busiest days of the summer - to service the airline’s 255 flights.

Queues backed up through the terminal as passengers watched their flights depart while they waited to check in or drop their bags. And police officers patrolling the terminal were called upon to calm some passengers as tensions ran high. About 500 passengers, including families with young children, were faced with finding alternative flights or cancelling their holidays, and last night some were sleeping in the terminal.

Ryanair subcontracts its check-in operations to Swissport, but neither were available for comment. A spokesman for Stansted told the newspaper: ‘There were only 11 [Ryanair] check-in desks open, which is fewer than we would have expected given the volume of flights they have.’

Fosters
4th Aug 2009, 17:20
Rumour that Aegean moving to Heathrow from start of winter schedules.

Fosters

pabely
4th Aug 2009, 18:52
Interesting....BAA have been dropping the Gatwick carrot on Stansted defectors. It would be interesting if this is true when we get through to next years summer schedules.

STN Ramp Rat
4th Aug 2009, 19:11
It seems to be true, I have seen it from three different sources this afternoon. apparently they will be double daily with A321's

jack_essex
7th Aug 2009, 10:26
This news is now on the Aegean website. They will move to LHR on Oct 25th as they will be joining *Alliance next year. Bad news for STN.

LGS6753
7th Aug 2009, 19:16
I would have thought BAA was dangling the Heathrow carrot wherever possible, since Stansted and Gatwick will be competitors to BAA soon.:ok:

Falcon666
25th Aug 2009, 03:42
Noticed Blue are adding flights this winter to Sibiu via Bucharest and Thessaloniki.
Interestingly in the drop down box the destination of Brussels is now showing but not yet bookable.

airhumberside
25th Aug 2009, 10:40
Is BRU left there from when Blue Air flew BBU-BRU-STN?

Sibiu is not via BBU, but rather a stop a stopover in two of the five weekly STN-BBU flights. Thessalonki is non-stop and new, operating 3xWeek (LTN-Bacau also continues for winter)

Seljuk22
4th Sep 2009, 09:00
Turkish: SAW-STN daily with A320 from 25th Oct

Tom the Tenor
4th Sep 2009, 15:48
Not yet bookable on the Turkish Airlines website. Do you think it will be priced a little lower than IST-LHR? Is there good public transport between SAW and the main areas of Istanbul?

Thanks.

Jag123
4th Sep 2009, 17:46
From SAW it is very easy to get into the centre of Istanbul it takes just over an hour - I personally prefer SAW over IST as its often less crowded and quieter.

Seems TK are going head to head with YK(KTHY) & Pegasus' frequent service to SAW. Also is this new service in addition or instead of their existing IST service from STN?

Jack

Seljuk22
12th Sep 2009, 07:49
I think TK will move some flights from IST (business traveller, connection) to SAW (point to point, tourism) to have some slots at IST for expansion and new destinations.
Also there will be a new terminal at SAW and Sun Express (joint venture between TK and LH) increasing flights from SAW more and more, too.
IST-LHR is/was flown with B773. I think TK will need these a/c for their longhaul flights in the future and will fly with A321 etc. to LHR and p2p traffic from STN (or maybe in the future from LTN or LGW) to SAW.

mattcam
1st Oct 2009, 13:56
air asia x to fly twice daily stansted to kuala lumpa from june 2010. new daily flight departing 9pm daily

Seljuk22
23rd Oct 2009, 13:22
As of Nov 9th IST-STN cancelled and replaced by SAW-STN.

jack_essex
24th Oct 2009, 09:30
Does anyone know how the new route STN - SAW is doing with TK? I am not too sure if I would want a 04.25am arrival time in SAW if I was going for a short break in Istanbul.

nt639
24th Oct 2009, 09:58
STN-SAW Doesn't start until tomorrow

sat1
24th Oct 2009, 14:56
think you'll find it starts 9th november now

LGS6753
24th Oct 2009, 18:23
With timings like that, it will struggle against the Pegasus STN-SAW-ECN operation.

Falcon666
29th Oct 2009, 11:28
According to airDB site Air Berlin are starting 6 new greek routes from STN .Is this the first major expansion for a while from AB at STN?

MUFC_fan
29th Oct 2009, 12:04
The flights will operate through a German city served from STN. The flights will now a line more clearly so they will be made available for sale.

I'm sure they won't be direct as AB don't have a STN base.

jack_essex
30th Oct 2009, 10:58
Does anyone know if IST will be coming back next year for the summer? Or is IST gone for good and SAW simply replaces it? There were always some good offers on flights such as STN-IST-DXB/BKK/SIN etc.

carbootking
6th Nov 2009, 17:14
anyone else here the rumeor of air asia leaving for gatwick next month also airarabia

Seljuk22
6th Nov 2009, 17:27
Air Arabia doesn't serve STN anymore.

MUFC_fan
6th Nov 2009, 17:30
anyone else here the rumeor of air asia leaving for gatwick next month also airarabia

Air Arabia doesn't serve STN anymore.

Someone has been caught out for spreading crap! :ok:

Also, why would Air Asia fix something that doesn't need fixing?

daz211
20th Dec 2009, 09:12
Has anyone any idea how Airasia is getting on the snow and ice
at STN, with only 2 x A340's how are the timings working out ?
I would think this is the first big test for them with only 2 aircraft
of type in the fleet.

pamann
22nd Dec 2009, 11:33
Nice to see Easyjet finally looking committed to Stansted with new routes for 2010 :ok:

Bodrum
Cagliari (already announced)
Dalaman
Dubrovnik
Split

Fuerteventura continues throughout the Summer season also!

Good news for Easyjet and for Stansted :D

Do you think we will see an A320 based there for the Summer for the longer BJV/DLM sectors?

Seljuk22
31st Dec 2009, 08:27
Rumours about a new Germanwings base at Hannover with double daily flights to STN starting April/May.

Charlie Roy
11th Jan 2010, 13:34
Rumours about a new Germanwings base at Hannover with double daily flights to STN starting April/May.

Now confirmed, starting April 29th.
Monday - Friday: arrive STN 0720 and 1945, depart STN 0750 and 2015
Saturday: morning flight
Sunday: evening flight

Hounddog1
11th Jan 2010, 20:32
They did not do them all, Servisair did TCX & BA, it was a busy period all round for everyone. All did a great job, bearing in mind the weather conditions under foot was not the berst in the world...:D

Keyvon
15th Jan 2010, 16:32
Stansted airport is to lose both Norwegian and BlueAir's remaining flights, by the end of the winter schedule.

DY's service to Trondheim, as well as 0B flights to Bucharest and Sibiu are going to be moved to Luton.

Powerjet1
15th Jan 2010, 17:20
DY's service to Trondheim, as well as 0B flights to Bucharest and Sibiu are going to be moved to Luton.

DY's flights are still bookable ex STN throughout S10. Surely you mean LGW if there is to be any transfer in the future.

The quoted Blue Air flights are now bookable from LTN, from March.

Keyvon
15th Jan 2010, 18:43
Oh sorry!There's a mistake in my post, indeed.

All Norwegian flights, including Trondheim (which is now the only route remained at Stansted), will operate from Gatwick, effective from 28 March 2010.

tommyc2005
17th Jan 2010, 22:52
Norwegian moving all flights out was inevitable. I do believe that one day they will completely return though, unless charges at LGW are significantly lower long term. Considering the majority of their pax are inbound, it makes no real sense for them to serve an airport that is much further south than STN, and that offers few benefits to the pax in terms of transferring to London.

Blue Air is a surprise though, and you could say crazy. They are moving from an airport where they have no direct competition and good loads (to Bucharest) to an airport where there is an existing service from an established operator (Wizz). Surely if yields are the problem, moving to LTN can only make that worse.

boeing_eng
25th Jan 2010, 14:27
Does anyone know why Air Asia have re-timed the departure of the 23.20 flight on Feb 2nd to 04.15 on Feb 3rd?!!

Seems to be a one-off as the flight on Feb 1st and the normal Feb 3rd flight are still showing the normal departure time!

AI101
25th Jan 2010, 15:23
Does anyone have any idea when Ryanair is starting their cyprus and turkish services from STN was told should be my summer 2010.

MUFC_fan
25th Jan 2010, 16:58
Can FR fly STN-Turkey?!:confused:

I don't think they can...

spirit of the age
25th Jan 2010, 18:40
why not???

Charlie Roy
25th Jan 2010, 18:46
why not???

If there is no Open Skies agreement between the EU and Turkey then an Irish company cannot fly from the UK to Turkey... They would need to set up a seperate British or Turkish sister airline. Like how you have Easyjet and Easyjet Switzerland...

toledoashley
25th Jan 2010, 18:47
I believe that Turkey is non-eu openskies, so they would only be able to operate flights from Ireland (Unless they use the old Buzz AOC?). There is no reason why they cant operate to Greece though. EZY really is stealing the march on Greece/Turkey/Egypt routes.

easyJet A321
25th Jan 2010, 19:06
Thats probably why they would want to start operating them because they have seen the large success that easyJet have made of these longer routes and their 737's would have the range would they?

Sprocket2009
25th Jan 2010, 19:15
TOM fly to all those places on a 737-800 from STN so they would have the range.

sat1
25th Jan 2010, 19:39
If M O L wants to go to turkey then turkey is where he will go.......if there is a profit to be made.

FEROMAN
30th Jan 2010, 17:10
Does anyone know why Air Asia have re-timed the departure of the 23.20 flight on Feb 2nd to 04.15 on Feb 3rd?!!

Air Asia X are carrying out a scheduled engine change on one of their aircraft which has delayed this single flight

tommyc2005
18th Feb 2010, 09:17
Turkish are reintroducing the old afternoon service to the main Ataturk airport in Istanbul along with connections further afield from the end of March, in addition to the existing night flight to Sabiha Gohcen.

Stanstedeye
18th Feb 2010, 16:13
Very good news that FR are introducing a daily flight to Malta from STN, its long overdue.

Powerjet1
16th Mar 2010, 14:25
A snippet taken from the "examiner.com.....

Sun Country Airlines will offer weekly service from it's base at Minneapolis/St. Paul to London-Stansted this summer, the airline said in a press release Monday. The seasonal service will operate Eastbound on Friday evenings and Westbound on Sunday afternoons. Sun Country will fly Boeing 737-800 aircraft in a two class configuration on the route, with a technical stop at Gander, Newfoundland in each direction.

Buster the Bear
16th Mar 2010, 15:31
Sun Country Announces New Summer Service To London
Convenient Low Fare Flights Begin June 11, 2010

ST. PAUL, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sun Country Airlines today announced new international service between the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul and London, England. The new flights will operate weekly from June 11 through August 15 departing the Twin Cities on Fridays with a midday return from London-Stansted airport on Sundays. The seasonal service will operate with an intermediate stop and offer both first class and coach seating on Sun Country’s Boeing 737-800 aircraft. Flights will be on sale beginning Monday, March 15, on SunCountry.com or by calling 1-800-FLY-NSUN.

“London is a great summer destination and we are looking forward to providing customers with a new way across the Atlantic. In addition, London’s Stansted airport is one of the best connection points to the continent with numerous flights on Europe’s leading low-fare airlines Ryanair and easyJet”
.“London is a great summer destination and we are looking forward to providing customers with a new way across the Atlantic. In addition, London’s Stansted airport is one of the best connection points to the continent with numerous flights on Europe’s leading low-fare airlines Ryanair and easyJet,” said Stan Gadek, Sun Country president and CEO. “We’re expanding our Hometown Airline this summer to give our customers a familiar, convenient and value-based choice across the Atlantic. We’re excited to operate this new route and we think our passengers will be thrilled as well by the savings and high level of attention and award winning service that Sun Country is known for.”

London Stansted is Britain’s third busiest airport and the fastest-growing major airport in Europe. Located on the northeast side of London the airport serves nearly 23 million passengers a year and provides access to 162 destinations and 34 countries. Passengers will also enjoy easy access to London on the Stansted Express which operates every 15 minutes from the train station located below the passenger terminal.

Sun Country Vacations, in conjunction with Sun Country Airlines, is celebrating the start of the new trans-Atlantic service with special deals on airfare and hotels in and around London, the U.K. and across Europe. Visit Sun Country Vacations at suncountryvacations.com or call toll-free 1-877-835-2386 for more information and “Vacations Just About Anywhere.”

About Sun Country Airlines
Sun Country Airlines (MN Airlines, LLC, d.b.a. Sun Country Airlines) is based in St. Paul, Minnesota. The award-winning airline, which flies to popular destinations in the U.S., Mexico and the Caribbean, has earned a reputation for offering world-class service at an affordable price. Sun Country has been named a “Top Ten Domestic Airline” by Travel+Leisure for the fourth year in a row and Condé Nast Traveler for the third year in a row. Customers can obtain more information by visiting either SunCountry.com or SunCountryVacations.com.

daz211
16th Mar 2010, 20:53
Also heard today that AIR ASIA X has been given the the green light to fly
Stansted - Oakland but wont be until late 2010 early 2011.

And watch this space for another longhaul route out of STN with a major carrier
that are in the final stages of negotiations.

Skipness One Echo
16th Mar 2010, 21:06
longhaul route out of STN with a major carrier

Oooohhh do tell go on. It's an anonymous forum. Is it Air NeverHeardOf or JustLaunchedInternational?

daz211
16th Mar 2010, 21:19
No its a long established Airline that has flights from LHR they want to start daily
flights from STN I wish I could say but I cant yet.:mad:.

pamann
17th Mar 2010, 13:17
Oh go on Daz give us a clue ;)

My money would be on Emirates, Ethiad, Gulf Air or even South African but I guess we'll have to wait and see...

toledoashley
17th Mar 2010, 13:22
Maybe Olympic, Royal Air Maroc, Tunis Air or Iberia?

pamann
17th Mar 2010, 13:24
According to daz211 it's a long haul route.

daz211
17th Mar 2010, 13:53
Here is a clue and it's a big clue they are coloured red and blue.
But it not British Airways.

toledoashley
17th Mar 2010, 13:57
US Airways, Air Canada, Malaysian, Delta, TAM?

pamann
17th Mar 2010, 14:13
Virgin to JFK & Orlando would work great :ok:

mattcam
17th Mar 2010, 14:15
my guess is delta.

ara01jbb
17th Mar 2010, 15:09
DL MSP-STN to stamp on SunCountry before they get any bigger ideas? :}

stuinn
17th Mar 2010, 15:17
Maybe American Airlines are returning. The AA are red and blue? http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/content/images/footer/footer_aacom.gif (http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/homePage.do?locale=en_GB&georedirect=false)

Sprocket2009
17th Mar 2010, 16:36
They said they would be back.

simoncorbett
17th Mar 2010, 16:43
How about Air India..? they seem to be looking for somewhere to stop off between North America and India..... rumours of them moving stop over to Ireland recently ??

Skipness One Echo
17th Mar 2010, 17:25
So what long haul airline at Heathrow is keen to commit commercial suicide? Come on daz211 grow some balls, name it so we can laugh.

Are American REALLY missing Essex that badly? Have Delta tired of LHR and LGW?

"red and blue" so might be true? Are you misleading us into the majors and Alliance members and it's someone Z-list I wonder that can't add to their two LHR weekend slots per week. Air Transat?

daz211
17th Mar 2010, 19:49
My ball are just fine how they are thank you !
As I have said I cant tell you the name of the Airline involved however not one of you have got even close ...

Skipness Air Asia have far from commited commercial suicide at STN or would you disagree with that ? So why would anyother Airline be commiting commercial suicide by intreducing a route from STN.

The Airline that I am talking about would run a STN service along side LHR
and the route is not Transatlantic.

satellite2
17th Mar 2010, 19:58
IF........................sun country start american flights from stn then AA will be back like a shot.They will stay long enough to ensure the demise of the competition-they did exactly that with maxjet/eos.More work for swissport.Not really rocket science.

airhumberside
17th Mar 2010, 20:27
China Eastern?

If it's not them then I think everyone on this thread has exhausted all the possibilities considering what hints have been given

Skipness One Echo
17th Mar 2010, 20:28
The Airline that I am talking about would run a STN service along side LHR and the route is not Transatlantic.

Air Asia is a loco like Ryanair so STN suits their business model of cheap and chearful. Sooooo...long haul flying East out of STN with someone daz211 dare NOT name on an annonymous forum or the sky may fall in blah blah etc.

OK then it's someone with no cash to get more LHR slots in a buyers market and needs to fund a split operation over two airports serving the same city. It's not going to be a legacy carrier is it? Hmmm I think you've teased everyone to near orgasm but we may end up with a little anticlimax alas.

Non legacy, non alliance, under capitalised. Go on just tell us! There must be loads of blokes called Darren who work on the ramp at STN....they'll never work out it was you!

daz211
17th Mar 2010, 20:59
Skipness im no ramp rat ! this is the last clue I am giving...
This Airline begins with Mala and ends in ysian.:oh:.

Skipness One Echo
17th Mar 2010, 21:12
That's something of a surprise. They are losing money at Heathrow as yields are awful. Sounds desperate I think if the answer to losing a fortune at LHR is moving out to STN.

daz211
17th Mar 2010, 21:16
I think it might be some kind of route war with Air Asia as Air Asia are planning a CDG-KUL service.

LGW_08R
17th Mar 2010, 21:17
I doubt it will actually ever happen. They rumored the same thing last year or year before our of Gatwick, twice weekly using 777s. Never materialized.

daz211
17th Mar 2010, 21:23
I know they talked about STN and LGW a year or two ago but this was to put
Air Asia of the London route and push them upto MAN.

EI-BUD
17th Mar 2010, 22:15
The suggestion of another airline with red and blue colour scheme is this a suggestion that CSA Czech may return or perhaps Air France going to serve Stansted?

Tom the Tenor
17th Mar 2010, 23:45
Is there any red and blue in the Kingfisher colurs? There is some red at least, is there not? Not sure about le coleur bleu?

Stanstedeye
31st Mar 2010, 18:45
Any info on TCX033H from Las Vagas at 07.30 tomorrow?

STN Ramp Rat
31st Mar 2010, 18:52
sounds like one of those "need to know" flights

daz211
3rd Apr 2010, 10:30
I was just checking the departure time of a flight out of STN and
noticed on the BAA website (STN) that there were loads of BA flights
departing STN to LHR .
Anyone know whats going on ? might be a problem at LHR.

Ringwayman
3rd Apr 2010, 10:45
LHR tower was evacuated for a time this morning.

daz211
3rd Apr 2010, 11:01
Thanks for that, looking at LHR flight arrivals its in a bit of a mess...:ouch:.

heavy load
13th Apr 2010, 19:39
Good Evening, Noticed on the cargo ramp an ABX 767 freighter earlier this afternoon (13/4). Would anybody have any info on whether this is a one off and possible the reg please, as I was driving past at national speed limit. :) Thank you for any info.

mmeteesside
13th Apr 2010, 20:12
It's a regular thing, for TNT to/from Liege

daz211
16th Apr 2010, 17:22
From what I could see today the reg of the ABX a/c is A747AX hope this helps
the a/c has been stranded at STN due to the ash situation...:bored:...

Sergiom
25th Apr 2010, 10:31
Noticed last night an Air Mauritius service landed at 23:55 and departed back out at 05:00 this morning...seems like a repatriation flight for stranded pax. Another service is due in at 17:35 this afternoon as well....

Stanstedeye
12th May 2010, 18:06
BAA quote the arrival at 02.35 of VIK134 from Kos.
Will this be a weekly charter, as it is not listed as such.

LTNman
12th May 2010, 18:54
Does anyone have a view about the government plans to cancel the planned new runway for Stansted. The news should at least make Ryanair happy.

daz211
2nd Jun 2010, 19:29
Two exotic winter sun destinations are available for the first time from London Stansted, courtesy of The Gambia Experience and The Cape Verde Experience. These amazing West African nations offer a vibrant mix of cultures and are perfect for beach lovers or wildlife enthusiasts. Weekly flights to Banjul via Boa Vista allow for twin-centre or single-centre holidays, available from December through to March

stuinn
3rd Jun 2010, 09:44
Any idea who will be used to fly to these destinations?:ok:

daz211
3rd Jun 2010, 20:13
From what I can see from the website they seem to use monarch from other UK airports.

bravoromeosierra
3rd Jun 2010, 22:02
They used Hamburg Air, (or something) from BRS.

The Smoking Gnu
22nd Jun 2010, 10:18
In trouble? who knows what

tommyc2005
22nd Jun 2010, 11:29
It appears from Turkish news websites that flights have been suspended due to huge debts, which is never a promising sign is it? Game over probably. Real shame, they have quietly been one of STN's largest foreign carriers for a number of years, I counted around 21 flights per week in the peak season and around 8-10 in the winter. STN had flights to more Turkish destinations than any other UK airport as a result.

Translation is sketchy, but it suggests there is some kind of tender process under way between AtlasJet and Pegasus for Kibris' flights. Will STN pick up some of these I wonder?

STN Ramp Rat
22nd Jun 2010, 18:27
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=turkish-cypriot-airline-thrown-into-chaos-2010-06-22

The fate of the debt-struck Cyprus Turkish Airlines, or KTHY, remained bleak on Tuesday, as the conflict between the Turkish Cypriot government and the local labor union escalated to a new level in the aftermath of the suspension of flights.

Turkey’s Directorate General of Civil Aviation suspended all KTHY flights as of Monday night. The Hava-Sen labor union, organized at the KTHY, staged a strike in the early hours of Tuesday, as flights were canceled. As the strike grounded services, Turkish airline company Pegasus’ flights were also grounded for a few hours.

A KTHY general meeting to debate the fate of the airline was to be held Tuesday morning in Nicosia, but KTHY staff raided the meeting, scuffling with security forces, Doğan News Agency reported. The workers also threw eggs at the vehicles of northern Cyprus’ Prime Minister İrsen Küçük and Transport Minister Sunat Atun.

As the Hürriyet Daily News & Economic Review went to press on Tuesday, the outcome of the delayed meeting was still unknown. KTHY was expected to debate rival offers by Turkish airline companies AtlasJet and Pegasus.

In a written statement, Pegasus Airlines said the firm has offered “to go forward by setting up a new company” and that the offer was accepted “in principle.”

A previous offer from AtlasJet triggered a major scandal earlier this month, when the envelope that included the bid was “lost” afterward.

Pegasus on the scene

“Pegasus could set up a joint company with northern Cyprus,” Anatolia news agency quoted the company as saying.

“Since June 11, northern Cyprus, our chairman Ali Sabancı and our managing director Sertaç Haybat have been conducting meetings, together with Pegasus’ representative Zeki Ziya, on flights from northern Cyprus,” the company said in the statement. “It is imperative that regular and increasing flights from northern Cyprus be conducted for the island’s economy. For this aim, we suggested going forward with a new company that would not be a burden on northern Cyprus and other investors. In principle, this suggestion was accepted but there has not been an official decision.”

The possibility is that Pegasus could set up a joint company with northern Cyprus, the airline said. “Crucial issues to this end are still unknown,” it said. “The most important issue is the correct restructuring of human resources. Employees should not be aggrieved, but competition should also not be disregarded.”

KTHY, the national airline of northern Cyprus, is on the verge of bankruptcy and has a debt burden of around $100 million. Previously a Turkish Airlines unit, KTHY was purchased by the northern Cyprus government in 2005 for $33 million. KTHY owns five jets and has leased another one. It employs 670 people and has representative offices in Turkey, Britain and Germany. It has posted annual losses of $50 million for the past few years.

tommyc2005
1st Jul 2010, 08:25
Atlasjet appear to be resuming the Kibris flights to Antalya as of tomorrow, appears to be 6x weekly. No news about the other routes as yet.

pamann
12th Jul 2010, 00:08
Any ideas if this is a regular or one off and who it's for?

Showing on the departure boards for today...

11:00 WOA3501 ORLANDO SCHEDULED

FEROMAN
12th Jul 2010, 17:38
The World Airways flights were a private company charter - MD11 & DC10 coming back Friday

tommyc2005
13th Jul 2010, 13:34
Kiss are to operate a flight to Dalaman on Saturday nights for the last 2 months of the summer, operated by Saga Air. Arrives STN 20:25, departs 21:25. Perhaps there will be more to come next summer?

STN Ramp Rat
17th Jul 2010, 10:57
Emirates boost for Stansted | Travel and Transport (http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/2010071636798/travel-and-transport/emirates-boost-for-stansted.html)

I can't see Emirates actually comming to STN but being cleared by the CAA for Code F movements and having 4 A380 caperable stands is a story in its own right

FEROMAN
20th Jul 2010, 19:22
There are actually nine Southside Stands the A380 will fit on at Stansted, albeit with a few restrictions on others here and there

STN Ramp Rat
27th Jul 2010, 16:20
Air Berlin to join Oneworld | ABTN (http://www.abtn.co.uk/news/2714484-air-berlin-join-oneworld)

I would suggest that this is bad news for Stansted, the last Stansted carrier to join an alliance went down the road fairly quickly

jdcg
27th Jul 2010, 18:15
yes this may well be the case. As AB seem to mostly fly Q400s from Germany to STN perhaps they'll shift to LCY and the OW set up there, which is where a lot of those flights started off years ago when Eurowings (I think - or maybe some predecessor) flew those routes.
I suppose LGW is also an option for some connectivity but I would think that slot issues would preclude any wholesale shift to LHR.

mattcam
28th Jul 2010, 09:17
more bad news then. any news of any new airlines hoping to fly from stansted in the near future.

AirLCY
28th Jul 2010, 09:35
LCY doesn't have peak slots available, so I don't see any movement from STN in the near future, certainly not for the amount of flights they currently operate

pamann
29th Jul 2010, 19:41
I would suggest that this is bad news for Stansted, the last Stansted carrier to join an alliance went down the road fairly quickly

Could also work the opposite and attract some new traffic?

STN Ramp Rat
30th Jul 2010, 15:29
I don’t see a move to LCY, it’s full at peak times as has already been indicated, a move to LGW is much more likely. The managing Director at Gatwick used to be at Stansted and Air Berlin is joining One World to increase the number of connections to/from Germany for the Alliance. BA will want to code share and interline which they cannot do whilst AB are operating from Stansted.

matt_0445
30th Jul 2010, 21:56
Isn't Gatwick full at peak times though.

STN Ramp Rat
31st Jul 2010, 06:02
no not really, not like it used to be. almost all the US carriers have moved to LHR and XL has gone bust, others have cut back

daz211
10th Aug 2010, 19:20
Just weeks after Stansted received Code F status to handle Boeing's new generation 747-8 aircraft, British Airways World Cargo has announced three of its new fleet will be based at London Stansted, operating schedules to destinations such as Hong Kong, Atlanta, Houston and Shanghai.
"The new fleet will be delivered in traditional British Airways colours and we understand the first aircraft will touchdown early next year.

Seljuk22
14th Sep 2010, 16:53
I assume they're flying daily with the A340-300 (326 seats) to STN.

If yes, I can't understand the latest CAA figures for STN-KUL:

June: 11,222
July: 19,836
August: 20,772 (670 per day, 335 passengers per flight!)

daz211
14th Sep 2010, 17:45
They went twice daily in the busy summer months cant remember if it was weekends only though ...

Menzieman
15th Sep 2010, 19:25
wednesday 15th september:

airberlin turnround

plane onstand 07.17 1 man chocks and powers a/c
fueller arrives 07.19
cleaner arrives 07.22
onload arrives 07.24
offload crew eventually arrives 07.30
1st bag off 07.35
onload commenced 07.41
airbridge off 07.50
power off 07.55
tug connected 07.57
headset man arrives 08.00
pushed 08.13

servisair saved by french atc strike causing trolley full of late slots
is this normal service for air berlin?????

aidoair
15th Sep 2010, 23:11
May I ask of your observations? Were you on the flight or just an on looker just interested that's all...

Anyway, to have the airbridge off at 7:50 after chocking at 07:17 is pretty good going IMO. Potentially the tug bar / tug could have been connected during boarding or before airbridge disconected to help speed up push back time should it be available, however this depends on type of tug, availability etc.

Air Berlin schedules a 45 minute turnaround at most airports, Stansted included. To what your ''timings'' are showing, Servisair achieved this if not much quicker! The only thing that could have delayed the push back departure will most likely have been ATC for ground clearence etc, so what do you mean ''is this normal service for air berlin''??

OpsSix
21st Sep 2010, 07:50
Apologies if this has already been mentioned but having been on the Stockholm Arlanda website last night, it states that Air Sweden will be starting ops to STN.

Does anyone have any further info at all?
Many thanks...

Xcircustiger
25th Sep 2010, 14:20
....they went 9 a week during the peak school holiday period so that probably explains the fiqures.... Speaking to some cargo guys , looks like it ships high volumes of freight too....

daz211
1st Oct 2010, 07:34
Just heard TOM 737-800 out of STN is turning back to STN with engine failure in number 2 airport fire crew and local crew now on site

OpsSix
1st Oct 2010, 13:58
That explains all the sirens going past the house this morn! Wondered if something was going on.

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
1st Oct 2010, 19:39
The TOM 737 was out of Luton for Tenerife South and got a bird strike on rotation and decided to continue to Stansted with the longer runway.

There can't have been any significant damage as it continued on to TFS.

OLY1B

jpthomas72
2nd Oct 2010, 21:07
I think this hasn't been mentioned here yet, see thread "STAR1" for all the details: The connection Stansted-Vilnius (capital city of Lithuania, Baltics) is gone due to the airline Star1 going bankrupt.

pamann
10th Oct 2010, 23:57
News from Wiki that Europe Airpost start operations from Stansted this November...

Enfidha [begins 6 November], Tangier [begins 3 November], Tenerife-South [begins 4 November]

Who are these operating for as they do not appear on the Stansted Airport website's charter listing?

STN Ramp Rat
13th Oct 2010, 11:22
UPDATE 1-BAA loses court battle on sale of UK airports | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE69B1BW20101013)

daz211
19th Oct 2010, 19:25
I was told today that Belle Air are to start (TIA-STN-TIA) 16/12/10 2x weekly
can anyone back this up ?

airhumberside
19th Oct 2010, 20:48
Flights bookable

canberra97
21st Oct 2010, 22:31
Why would Belleair want to start a STN-TIA route when Albanian Airlines already operate on the route.

Looking at the Belleair website the prices for STN-TIA are not cheap plus with their extensive Italian network surely a secondary Italian city to STN would make for a better option to enter the UK market.

What aircraft do they intend using on this new route?

On another note who is taking over the Hamburg International flights on behalf of the Gambia Experience?

STN Ramp Rat
16th Nov 2010, 15:03
already being discussed in the wrong forum ....... but now formally announced. it seems to be death by a thousand cuts...... very sad for STN

Gatwick Airport (http://www.gatwickairport.com/business/media-centre/press-releases/airberlin-hand-picks-gatwick-airport-as-a-london-base-/)

jdcg
16th Nov 2010, 16:18
On other forums everyone seems to be assuming that the other AB ops will switch to LGW asap, slots permitting. Is this the case? All the other ops (Dusseldorf, Munster & paderborn) are Q400 ops which may seem a bit of a waste or just unprofitable into LGW. Besides Dusseldorf would be up against EZY and Flybe so not much chance of making any money there. I can't see that AB would gain anything from a further shift south - any OW connections would just detract from direct flights from their DUS base surely?? If anything a move to LCY would make more sense

Aero Mad
16th Nov 2010, 16:50
Except charges at LCY are as far as I know rather too much to make decent profits.

Hounddog1
16th Nov 2010, 17:36
Remember Air Berlin joined One World alliance recently and the waves of flights will tie up with BA's flights from LGW on its long-haul programme, so its not all about costs at LGW, there is a bigger factor/picture to look at here.

Xcircustiger
18th Nov 2010, 17:09
..agreed now on the correct forum...
The over-riding issue at STN is there are still too many handling agents...
Going back less that 18 months, there were 4 which has partially been addressed
with the Servisair absorption of Aviance. On the pax/ramp side there is only
enough work for 2, each with one of the major low cost carriers. The rest of
the work doesn't add up to much and could easily be absorbed.

Barnaby the Bear
18th Nov 2010, 18:25
Enjoyed using the service to NUE from STN. It was easy to get to avoiding the M25 and the dartford crossing. :hmm:

stuinn
22nd Nov 2010, 10:16
Air Asia just announced 4 x weekly flights to Paris from Feb 14 2011 using A340. Does this mean a reduction in the service at Stansted?

Xcircustiger
22nd Nov 2010, 11:37
..doubt it ..they open and shut bases like they're going out of fashion
trying to make different things work....so I reckon they can run both
with the 2 x A340 ( is there a 3rd due ???)
Interesting to note that a lot of the passengers on the STN route fly
in from Europe so possibly the peak time increase to 9 a week will cease...

Stanstedeye
2nd Dec 2010, 19:24
There were 3 TCX 330's diverted into STN today

ericlday
2nd Dec 2010, 19:46
TCX 330's doing LGW outbound flights. Positioned in from MAN.

pamann
2nd Dec 2010, 20:34
Just noticed DY and even LG back on the departure/arrival boards at STN. Maybe some of these airlines shouldn't have been so quick to do a runner from the airport.

With TCX operating some of the LGW flights from here today, is it not about time some of the charter operators reviewed their London operations and not put all their eggs in one basket being Gatwick? I'm not saying move their operations to STN, but when you have multiple aircraft at Gatwick and just one aircraft at STN surely it would make more sense to move one or two more aircraft over to STN on a more permanent basis?

Airlift21
2nd Dec 2010, 23:55
A bit of snow wont persuade airlines to go back to Stansted I'm afraid. Nor would it persuade airlines to split operations as much as you said. Anyway, I thought that Essex generally gets more snow than Sussex and Surrey in an average winter?

Hounddog1
3rd Dec 2010, 05:03
I believe there was a Cubana IL96 there aswell that diverted from Gatwick and Air Zimbabwe 767 from Harare.

Stansted is a useful diversionary airport, especially for LCY flights as it is just up M11.

Airport managers need to realise Global Warming and the change of weather patterns that the UK gets, bearing in mind it was on Jan this year that we experienced this kind of bad weather before. Its time to study how the scandinavian countries cope each year. Snow equipment is expensive for the amount of time it is in use, but it is a needed tool that all airports must have, the debacle of LGW and in the past LTN has to be overcome, but like everything else, you still have to get humans to drive these pieces of kit and they too have to get into work. Roll on robotic snow ploughs!!

If you cas you mind back to early this year, there were aircraft stuck at STN after diverting from LGW for a day or so, that was due to handling agent running out of de-icing fluid, so that added to the airlines woes, who already had aircraft out of position. Perhaps this time round they stocked up before hand !!

STN Ramp Rat
3rd Dec 2010, 08:02
pamann

one swallow does not make a summer, before Catagory 3 ILS lots of aircraft used to divert to Prestwick from London but they would never consider a Prestwick service. the sad fact of the matter is that the Gatwick commands a higher revenue that Stansted. There are more people in the Gatwick Catchment area than Stansted.

Airlift21
3rd Dec 2010, 18:21
Just out of interest, how many airlines actually use Stansted?

pamann
3rd Dec 2010, 20:50
About 18 on a regular or semi-regular basis (both scheduled and charter).

British Airways is operating flights next summer on behalf of Thomas Cook to both Palma and Edfinha (Tunisia) on Saturday/Sunday respectively. :ok:

I still think that another aircraft from Thomas Cook to match Thomson's two based aircraft in the summer would be onto a winner. Having worked for a travel agency in London many moons ago there was and I'm sure still is the demand there. But what do I know. :confused:

TOWTEAMBASE
3rd Dec 2010, 21:05
HOUNDDOG

If your refering to the BA 744 and 777 x2, they were ex LHR, it wasnt the handling agent running out of fluid,it was the fact that the glycol couldnt be produced fast enough, and it involved all companies that deiced, not just one handing agent

Hounddog1
4th Dec 2010, 05:43
TOWTEAM

It was reported from a manager within a certain handling company that they only had 800 litres of de-icer left, enough to do their YK flts that day. Having got diverted traffic from LGW/LHR into STN it provided a problem in dealing with the demands from these airlines.

Other handling companies would not do "secondry work" as they were contracted to their own particular airlines, which was a fair point, but not when you are getting it in the neck from .

There was a Cargo 747 that was encrusted in frost as there was no de-icing fluid available. it was not until the management team at BA in LHR diverted a truck or two to STN that was coming down from Glycol in Newcastle going to Heathrow got involved, that new fliuid was available. It is true that Glycol could not produce fast enough and the handling agent were looking elsewhere, eg:France, but that was a non-runner, due many factors, including the density of the mixture and the type of nozzles used to squirt fluid, as some de-icer is much thicker than other, sounds stupid but its true.

It does not matter where the planes diverted from, but the factor there was very low/no de-icer available, there was TCX planes involved in this and they were not based aircraft, and diverted aircraft were literally stuck at STN unable to return to their main bases, as the weather was severe overnight and each night on the ground added more frost to the aircraft. Regarding the Cargo 747, due to demands from BA in LHR, two rigs were sent to de-ice the aircraft, and one of them ran out of de-icer and had to go and re-fill adding more time, and as we know de-icing an aircraft needs to be done shortly prior to departure this again caused issues ,

Finally, Cargolux wanted to divert aircraft from MSE due icy runway/conditions, but elected not to come to STN as there was not enough de-icer fluid to deal with their aircraft.

Point being, there initially was not enough de-icing fluid to deal with own aircraft, let alone anything that diverted in, and as we all know de-icing is a damn good money spinner.

STN Ramp Rat
4th Dec 2010, 06:57
Hounddog1 sums it up correctly, Kilfrost simply could not produce the stuff fast enough and they provide a majority of the fluid for the UK. you cannot mix fluid types in the same rig and changing fluid type requires the rig to be decontaminated from the old fluid amngst other things. this was a UK problem not an airport or handler problem. I should imagine Kilfrost are working overtime at the moment with the forecast of frost to the new year.

STN Ramp Rat
6th Dec 2010, 13:31
It seems that Sun COuntyr are offering a much larger program for next summer but out of Gatwock not Stansted. what is/can the BAA do to stop the rot?
I can't believe that there is no catchment area for anyone other than Ryanair and Easyjet

STN Ramp Rat
6th Dec 2010, 15:35
News from Dunmow and Stansted and across Uttlesford including Stansted Airport. | Managing director leaves Stansted Airport (http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/Dunmow-Stansted/Managing-director-leaves-Stansted-Airport.htm)

sounds like he caught a dose of the Allan Sugars .... your fired!!

Bagmanlgw
6th Dec 2010, 15:39
What handling agent did they use last summer at STN ?

STN Ramp Rat
6th Dec 2010, 16:11
What handling agent did they use last summer at STN ?

Swissport..

compton3bravo
6th Dec 2010, 17:50
I see he had vast experience in running an airport having been MD of Thorn Lighting and manufacturing experience - enough said.

sat1
9th Dec 2010, 16:39
It appears that some interesting slots have been filed at LCY for the summer 2011 in addition to the existing services (some of these may be real, some may be airlines just thinking out loud...):

- Air Berlin: 3 Dash 8s per day from Dusseldorf

So first a couple of flights move to Gatwick and now slot options at city-is the writing on the wall for servisair at stansted?How long before they give up the ramp rest room and operate instead from their cargo shed?

STN Ramp Rat
9th Dec 2010, 20:11
I think the DHC8's from LCY could be very good for Air Berlin and One World, I have heard from a reliable source that this is likley but they cant get the slots at the moment. LCY is very congested at peak times although with Baboo pulling out there is an AM and PM peak slot available.

LCY is also not open until a little after the current arrival time at Stansted so they would have to retime back by an hour. the sad thing is that it increasingly lookes like Air Berlin is "dead man walking" at Stansted.

Flightmech
10th Dec 2010, 09:51
Just curious but how many handling companies at STN have "airfirst" systems on their de-icing trucks? I know FedEx have. This is incredibly handy for blowing off wet snow from the aircraft without the use of expensive fluid. A normal application of fluid is then put at the end to give a clean wing and holdover time.

VOM1T
14th Dec 2010, 09:08
Anyone truth in the rumour that Icelandair are looking to operate KEF from STN for winter 2011 ?

LGS6753
17th Dec 2010, 02:52
BMI baby BHD - STN 16x weekly from end March.

pamann
18th Dec 2010, 04:02
Didn't see that one coming! :ok:

Sergiom
18th Dec 2010, 10:13
Just noticed 3 diversions into Stansted in the past few mins.

VS16 from MCO
VS44 from LAS
NAX3512 - looks like Norwegian have moved all ops to STN again temporarily.

ericlday
18th Dec 2010, 10:58
and there are more.......Lhr and Man Snoclo

Sergiom
18th Dec 2010, 11:10
Loads more from the looks of it…

BA, Royal Air Maroc, Alitalia and BMI aircraft entering the hold now. I assume Stansted has the capacity to take them all? Loads of AA, United, Virgin, Qatar aircraft holding around London with nothing heading into Heathrow. VS20 appears to have left the Bovingdon hold and is heading to Stansted now as well.

egnxema
18th Dec 2010, 14:19
I think STN RWY now closed til 1700 - diversions heading to EMA

Flightmech
18th Dec 2010, 14:27
ATIS confirms STN expected to reopen at 1700. Whether the taxiways and aprons are clear or not is another issue?

FEROMAN
20th Dec 2010, 17:51
Anyone truth in the rumour that Icelandair are looking to operate KEF from STN for winter 2011 ?Looks possible as they are planning flights Thursday & Sunday towards the end of october

LGWAlan
21st Dec 2010, 11:26
FI460/1 0815-1215/1315-1515 Thur and Sun from 13/10 according to Amadeus

tommyc2005
21st Dec 2010, 14:32
Smart move from FI, aside from the obvious weekend break potential this opens up North America from STN again - NY, Orlando, Boston etc.

daz211
2nd Jan 2011, 20:15
It may be just some kind of Error but I have just taken a look at the BmiBaby website and had a look at the WHEN WE FLY section, It shows the following destinations when you select Stansted as your departure point ........ Belfast, Cologne/Bonn, Ibiza, Munich, Palma, Nice, Prague and Verona :eek:, When you click it shows an error page but why are the above destinations highlighted from Stansted :confused:. It also works the other way round say select Cologne as the departure point and it show Stansted ...
I thought the only route was going to be Belfast-Stansted-Belfast.

Ringwayman
2nd Jan 2011, 20:27
Might it be the Germanwings tie-in connecting via Cologne?

Capt Wannabe
2nd Jan 2011, 21:17
At present only slots held are for STN-BHD and BHD-STN

daz211
2nd Jan 2011, 21:27
SPOT ON ...
I have just tried to book STN-PMI on the BmiBaby site and I was re-directed to Germanwing .

Seljuk22
3rd Jan 2011, 10:41
From 28th January Anadolujet will fly twice weekly to Ankara, FR will re-launch Lamezia in March and will fly twice weekly to Marrakech from the end of March.

Xcircustiger
5th Jan 2011, 08:40
...brings us nicely on to the question of who will be handling
the new BMI Baby contract at STN. Having a puff n choke with
the Servisair boys the other day and all very gloomy. Seems there
are upwards of 60 redundancies on the cards all areas - very sad to hear.
Guess Servisair not got Baby then ????:{

tommyc2005
5th Jan 2011, 10:24
Seljuk - Anadolujet to Ankara is 3x weekly, rising to 4x in the summer.

Pegasus have added Izmir with 4x weekly flights, and Istanbul will be 9x weekly, up from the 7 pre-KTHY demise. The summer 1x weekly to Bodrum is returning.

So there are 10 new flights for summer 2011 that will go some way to replacing the lost KTHY capacity. At this stage there are no scheduled services to Antalya which was by far KTHY's biggest destination.

pamann
5th Jan 2011, 10:39
At this stage there are no scheduled services to Antalya which was by far KTHY's biggest destination

Something perhaps EasyJet should take note of.

tommyc2005
5th Jan 2011, 11:53
After 15 years CY are leaving STN as part of a network overhaul due to losses. BHX and MAN also affected in the UK.

Does this leave the path clear for FR?

Jamie2k9
5th Jan 2011, 12:01
Ryanair will have to pay full airport charges if they open flights from London - Laranca. That was part of the agreement.

tommyc2005
5th Jan 2011, 12:47
Fair enough, I presumed it just applied to exact airports where there was an incumbent as FR fly from CRL and CY BRU.

Regardless, LCA and PFO are ripe for the picking for someone

Jamie2k9
5th Jan 2011, 12:50
If there is money to be made on a route then FR would pay full charges.

pamann
5th Jan 2011, 13:18
As I earlier mentioned with regards to the AYT...

To fill the LCA/PFO/AYT gap EasyJet really should get in there quick and snap these routes up before the dreaded Ryanair try and get anywhere near them as they're fine for a 2-3 day break but if you want to take your holiday seriously then EZY are by far the best bet. Being sold 'smokeless' cigarettes for 4 and a half hours is surely anyone's idea of hell!

Come on EZY and fill the gap! :ok:

ryand36
7th Jan 2011, 16:16
Thomson have re adjusted their summer schedule for Summer 2011 it seems.

Monday - CFU, DLM, IBZ, MAH
Tuesday - AYT, HER, ZTH, PMI (Two flights in July and August)
Wednesday - NBE, LCA, PFO, RHO
Thursday - PMI, ACE, DLM
Friday, - CFU, MAH, AYT, TFS
Saturday - IBZ, PMI, PFO, FUE
Sunday - FAO, SSH, EFL, HER

Stansted gains 1 extra weekly AYT, PMI and HER flight this summer and loses flights to REU and 1 Weekly DLM flight.

STN Ramp Rat
14th Jan 2011, 19:59
Its all gone very quiet, I understand there is a brutal amount of redundancies on the cards ... whats the real story?

Hounddog1
15th Jan 2011, 12:38
Apparently its 67 redundancies due Air Berlin going to Gatwick, seems a lot for just that. Have been told that includes admin department, right across the board, now unsure about Germanwings if they have been secured at Servisair or have gone elsewhere.

It is a brutal cull there though ..

mattcam
15th Jan 2011, 20:56
such a shame. when do you think things will be picking up at stansted again. used to love going to the side of the runway at burton end or nr elsnham at stansted to watch the planes there it just seems so quite there now. any news of any new airlines coming into stansted. will we have long haul in the future. what is the reason that most are moving to gatwick and do you think we will see the good days there again in the next few years.

aidoair
15th Jan 2011, 21:47
Im guessing the handling contracts will have been arranged by bmibaby for the new STN-BHD Belfast route by now? Hopefully it's Servisair (like they choose for many of their outstations). This could also lead to Germanwings extending their contract with Servisair being part of the same group perhaps too...

Hounddog1
17th Jan 2011, 16:16
Whats the Omni Dc10 doing at Stansted today ?

Seljuk22
25th Jan 2011, 17:38
AnadoluJet announced the new route from Ankara to STN
www.turkishairlines.com/en-INT/press-releases/5819/ankara-flying-direct-to-london-with-anadolujet.aspx (http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-INT/press-releases/5819/ankara-flying-direct-to-london-with-anadolujet.aspx)

AvWRup
26th Jan 2011, 11:06
Here's the text from an article on Aviation Week (http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=aviationdaily&id=news/avd/2011/01/26/10.xml&headline=Trust-Based%20Security%20System%20Pitched%20For%20U.S.,%20U.K.,%20 Indian%20Airports).

Is this really going to work, or will it just become another revenue stream?

With security an imminent consideration in London because of the Olympic Games in 2012 and other reasons, the U.K. government is expected soon to announce a pilot program using the trust-based security (TBS) method at London Stansted Airport.

A U.S. airport and a mid-sized Indian airport are also viewing the TBS model, crafted by security consultant AR Challenges, company representatives tell Aviation Week. The system incorporates suggestions made by the Air Line Pilots Association in a white paper.

AR Challenges, based in Israel, the U.S. and Canada, is in discussions with information technology integrators involved with Indian Safe Cities projects. "It is essential that all systems are put together and integrated,” says Rafi Sela, the company’s founder. Sela has made presentations to the Airports Authority of India.

“In India, we are saying, just give us the security tax at the airport, and we will install the system under Build Operate Transfer (BOT) method … The airport also gets additional benefits beyond security. Retailers are willing to pay to get their message to passengers by offering spot discounts, airport operators can track vendors and employees and airlines can service their premium passengers as soon as their arrive,” Sela says.

The system has been tested for the past right months at arguably one of the most secure airports in the world—Ben Gurion International in Tel Aviv. Ninety percent of terrorist prevention there has been enabled by intelligence gathering, Sela asserts.

AR Challenges says it has the expertise, technologies and systems to support an immediate deployment of the TBS. Once the tests are completed, it plans to introduce TBS to the International Civil Aviation Organization.

“Asset protection must be threat-driven with a focus on the individual and the intent to do harm. In this system, the passenger is viewed as an asset rather than a liability to security. The philosophy on airport security, particularly in the U.S. is wrong. It is proactive rather than reactive,” says Sela.

TBS argues that it makes security more efficient while keeping costs constant or even lower. Each passenger’s identity is verified through a combination of means. Using a unique “Smart Card” approach and an enrollment system, TBS verifies the identities of travelers.

TBS will also resolve the dispute of the No Fly List for airlines by identifying high-risk passengers before they board a flight to the U.S., saving the cost of having to fly them back for free.

Under the system, a trustworthiness assessment is created as passengers watch the screen when checking in at a kiosk. Those who pose no or only a negligible threat will be processed quickly through metal detectors, and their carry-on bags will be examined by X-ray.

“The equipment will be enhanced by AR Trace Detection features and turned into automatic systems to speed up the process. AR Challenges has proposed an RFID sticker (costing 10 cents) that will enhance the efficiency and provide separate screening procedures,” says Sela.

Passengers categorized as unknown threats will meet with safety officers trained to identify threat-related behaviors. These officers will determine whether additional screening measures are warranted, and if so, what types. “Our suspect detection system can provide an initial automatic screening that in most cases will be sufficient,” adds Sela.

Passengers classified as known threats will be prohibited from flying. “Our system will be able to record their information for future reference,” says Sela.

LGS6753
27th Jan 2011, 14:38
AndaluJet = Turkish Airlines.

geordiejet
27th Jan 2011, 15:22
Anyone know if this route will be operating this Summer, and if so, by which airline?

pabely
27th Jan 2011, 16:24
A quick check via google shows a few options via Germany and it will set you back close to a grand! On this I think you should let the train take the strain!

Stanstedeye
28th Jan 2011, 05:11
STN-NCL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone know if this route will be operating this Summer, and if so, by which airline?

Why have EZY pulled out of this route, it does back many years.

geordiejet
28th Jan 2011, 08:04
The loads are pretty low - apart from the Friday and Sunday flights. Wonder if flyBE or anyone will take over. I'm hoping for a last minute change and EZY continue the route - like they did last September.

STN Ramp Rat
5th Feb 2011, 18:03
might be interesting, I wonder if there will be an episode about the making of a spoof TV series about an airport fly on the wall documentary !!!!

Stansted: The Inside Story | Five (http://www.five.tv/shows/stansted-the-inside-story)

ajhflyer
6th Feb 2011, 17:21
BBC1 Monday evening late I think, check schedule for the behind the scenes on how walliams and Lucas made their spoof.

Captinbirdseye
17th Feb 2011, 17:19
I know its abit early But details have come in that Obama is scheduled to come to the Uk from the ,24th-26th April. As STN is Obama's first choice of London airport i am guessing that he will be landing in there again.
BBC News - Barack Obama coming to UK on state visit in May (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12497265)

carbootking
17th Feb 2011, 19:44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just released 17 Feb. BAA has not been granted the permission from the Supreme Court to appeal to the Court of Appeal's decision regarding investigation into the supply of U.K. airport services

TUGNBAR
17th Feb 2011, 20:44
Official State visit will go to Heathrow,as did Emir of Qatar last year on his State visit!

Would be good to see it again though!!

wanna_be_there
17th Feb 2011, 20:52
on the subject of unusual visits, can I ask a question.

Im sure I read at the time of STN being granted as A380 (cat10) ready, it would be the main EK diversion point for TATL/UK flights.

Emirates boost for Stansted (http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=36798:emirates-boost-for-stansted&catid=104:travel-and-transport&Itemid=1037)

So far though, the only 2 EK that have had to divert over the UK have been a YYZ flight (fuel) and an LHR flight (snow), and both went to MAN.

Whats the deal then, and is STN actually a diversion point for them?

Skipness One Echo
17th Feb 2011, 21:30
Stansted Airport has won approval to take massive Airbus A380 jets from Emirates Airline on divert in a move that could hold enormous long-term potential for the Essex hub.

It's unlikely to be enormous long term potential as the biggest aircraft at the minute in Essex is a single A340-300. On divert, unless on an emergency, Emirates would use Gatwick were Heathrow unavailable and vice versa, if both London fields were out, then it's Manchester as it's an exisiting Emirates station. Hence on those days where LHR, LGW and MAN are all unavailable then STN it is. Even LGW's A380 stands are miles from the terminals on new remote stands and are also claiming similar enormous potential....

The management’s strategy is to leverage the market-leading headroom Stansted enjoys in London – in terms of passenger numbers and movements of both freight and passengers – while Gatwick and Heathrow struggle with capacity.
This is the the utter nonsense that I am surrounded by every day at work. Like minded people, blackberry fondling marketing types spouting identical nonsense about schemes that never happen mainly as these people are 99% blah and 1% delivery.

STN Ramp Rat
18th Feb 2011, 18:05
market-leading headroom
= vast areas of empty stands and empty check in desks

nt639
18th Feb 2011, 19:39
Official State visit will go to Heathrow,as did Emir of Qatar last year on his State visit!

Would be good to see it again though!!Looks like he will be arriving at Stansted!

East Anglia: Barack Obama to touch down at Stansted - News - Evening Star (http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/news/east_anglia_barack_obama_to_touch_down_at_stansted_1_806851)

jpthomas72
21st Feb 2011, 15:05
News just in (various Irish and Lithuanian sources quoting FR): New daily flight from STN to Vilnius (VNO), the capital city of Lithuania, starting in May. This is in addition to the Kaunas (KUN) flight. Good news for STN. Not bookable yet though. Part of a small new FR base at VNO (5 destinations).

jpthomas72
22nd Feb 2011, 09:01
Flight times now out, bookable. Well chosen. STN-VNO 16:50-21:25, VNO-STN 21:50-22:30. Daily, starting 1st May. STN-based plane then.

mattcam
23rd Feb 2011, 11:53
according to the gatwick thread, its looking like air asia x will be moving there ops to gatwick and air berlin will be moving the rest of there ops to gatwick. whats the reason for air asia x moving to gatwick if true and whats the future like for stanted now will it only bean airport for ryanair and easy-jet.

tommyc2005
23rd Feb 2011, 13:47
The quicker STN is sold the better. Look at how LGW has flourished, partly by taking STN's airlines. It makes good sense geographically for both Air Asia and Norwegian to be at STN over LGW. The same goes for Air Berlin, but the joining of Oneworld made a move inevitable and unless they leave the alliance I can't see them going anywhere else.

In more positive news, I have heard that North Cyprus Airlines which is the successor to KTHY is to commence in the summer.

jdcg
23rd Feb 2011, 14:22
I think the reality is that LGW generally gives higher yields than STN, judging from prices on flights that operate from both airports for EZY. Always seem that bit higher than at STN.
I've always thought that Biman should sell its LHR slots and move to STN as most of the Bangladeshi community is this side of London anyway. Hardly a catch for STN I know...:hmm:

STN Ramp Rat
23rd Feb 2011, 18:46
according to the gatwick thread, its looking like air asia x will be moving there ops to gatwick and air berlin will be moving the rest of there ops to gatwick. whats the reason for air asia x moving to gatwick if true and whats the future like for stanted now will it only bean airport for ryanair and easy-jet.

I believe this requires the UK/Malaysia bilateral to be renegotiated but I might be wrong. I have heard this rumour from three different sources so it must have some substance to it.

I dont believe that AB will move the rest of their operations though they have a big passenger flow between FMO/PAD and East Anglia which would not welcome the move to LGW.

LGS6753
23rd Feb 2011, 19:27
In the 90s and noughties, Stansted took a great deal of Luton's traffic (TNT, Ryanair, etc). This was achieved through cross-subsidy by BAA from the more lucrative Heathrow and Gatwick, and happened despite Luton being better positioned for the north of London catchment area.

Now that Gatwick has been freed from the dead hand of the BAA, and itself has capacity as a result of the recession and migration of transatlantic services to Heathrow, it is winning business from Stansted. Stansted can no longer rely on what are now illegal cross-subsidies, although it may benefit from sharing ownership with Heathrow.

The most attractive airport for London is Heathrow, in terms of catchment area, proximity to the centre, and connections. However, it is overcrowded, expensive and slot restricted. The next most attractive in terms of catchment area is Luton, but it is far too small, and is not being managed well due to its legacy owners (Luton Council). Gatwick has a slightly smaller catchment than Luton, but is in a wealthier area and has more capacity. Stansted has the smallest catchment area, and land communications are mediocre. However, it has both capacity and the ability to construct more.

It's no surprize that the airport of choice for London is Gatwick, and Stansted probably has most to lose under the current ownership pattern. The only way Stansted can grow will be after Gatwick is 'full', and by competing on price to fill its underutilised facilities.

Otherwise, look forward to further reductions in traffic.

wowzz
23rd Feb 2011, 21:46
I would just dispute one of your points - in my view. LGW is a more attractive option than LHR due to the number of incoming LoCo flights.
The most attractive airport for those living in London may well be LHR, but for those of us not living within the M25 and needing a connecting flight to our final departure airport, LGW, AMS or FRA may be more suitable, given the number of incoming flights fromother European destinations.

FEROMAN
28th Feb 2011, 21:20
Air Asia X have categorically stated they have no plans to move from Stansted; and whilst that may be airline bluff, I'm more inclined to believe the rumours are just Gatwick spin

Skipness One Echo
28th Feb 2011, 21:42
Air Asia X have categorically stated they have no plans to move from Stansted

American had plans for a second daily JFK too.....

LGW_08R
28th Feb 2011, 22:56
When asked if the airline would be sending the new 332s to Gatwick...

azranosmanrani Azran Osman-Rani
wish we could, but we're barred from LGW by govt regulations

From the boss' Twitter earlier. Looks like they are stay at Stansted, but only because they can't get into Gatwick.

General_Kirby
16th Mar 2011, 22:37
Skipness...Can you remind me of the dates American came and went with regards to Eos/MaxJet going under? Can't believe they got away with being allowed to come in, send the others under then runaway back to Heathrow! Thanks

Skipness One Echo
17th Mar 2011, 00:21
American were Winter 2007 through early Summer 2008 and then off they went around June I recall. They didn't even operate the full summer. Sorry I don't have the exact details to hand someone will be able to supply dates I'm sure.

bananamanuk
17th Mar 2011, 19:35
Hi General_Kirby

American started their STN_JFK flights October 2007, they were due to launch a second daily flight in April 08 but that got delayed to August 08 but in the end never materialised.

MaxJet ceased on Christmas Eve 2007

EOS was beginning to ramp up their operations and announced additional frequencies and a new route to Dubai before they ceased ops in April 2008.

That left Silverjet as the only startup premium airline albeit at Luton.

American pulled it's Stansted services in July 2008. Although there was probably a good deal of truth in the reasons for them consolidating at LHR, namely that AA at the time was losing money, the approach at STN was to use their muscle to kill two startups.

Seems that the thought of STN having a well known carrier meant they were eager to have AA even though operating the same routes to New York (although EOS went to Newark). Somewhat coincidental that as soon as Max and EOS ceased, AA moved out. STN from 3 to 0.

AA's history with STN is pretty poor considering they had the route authorities for ORD but pulled that route in 1992/3 can't remember exactly but I did use that service even have a couple of route maps from the captain somewhere!

Shame sometimes that airports don't nurture startups a bit more or help protect their niche. Although AA was operating a 2 class service it had more capacity in a 767-300 and much deeper pockets to deflate prices..

Anyways hope that helped.

student88
21st Mar 2011, 22:49
Are you the spelling police?

student88
21st Mar 2011, 22:50
EZY are pulling the plug on STN-NCL, any news on who's going to fill their boots?

Skipness One Echo
22nd Mar 2011, 12:35
EZY are pulling the plug on STN-NCL, any news on who's going to fill their boots?

Nobody, UK domestic is being killed by the sheer hassle of the airport experience, delays and taxation. They're so bad that even the train looks a better option. Even flybe couldn't make LBA-LGW work so I doubt anyone will be leaping onto NCL-STN anytime soon...........GLA-LHR on BD ends this weekend as well.

Buster the Bear
22nd Mar 2011, 21:59
Air Berlin Dash 8 ops could end up at Southend.

pamann
23rd Mar 2011, 15:59
could end up at Southend

And what is the source of this 'Could' information?

talk english
23rd Mar 2011, 20:41
I could win the lottery!!!!!!

nt639
23rd Mar 2011, 21:57
All Wizz Air ops at Luton COULD end up at Stansted:rolleyes:

Captinbirdseye
30th Mar 2011, 08:22
BBC News - BAA told by Competition Commission to sell two airports (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12903669)

Could this dawn a new era at STN. I am not expecting a new LGW but do you might think it might encourage L/H airlines to come to the airport?

CP BE

pabely
30th Mar 2011, 16:32
Why do you think that?

tommyc2005
30th Mar 2011, 16:47
Captinbirdseye,

A new dawn hopefully indeed.

As for long haul, really depends who takes the airport on I suppose as to what will change, whether the new operator has existing relationships with the right airlines etc. I wouldn't expect much in the way of long haul though, the USA is virtually out of the question. New York is the obvious destination and airlines seem reluctant to operate there away from LHR, even LGW is down to bare bones now on other routes. The most feasible that could be hoped for is Emirates or Etihad I guess, perhaps the odd niche player or start-up like United Airways at LGW. Personally, I'd just be happy with securing Air Asia.

What I think will happen is some escapees will return, such as Norwegian, Blue Air, maybe El Al. Anything else is anyone's guess.

ericlday
30th Mar 2011, 16:47
Selling an Airport does not suddenly create a L/H market !!!

STN Ramp Rat
30th Mar 2011, 17:29
The most likely purchasers are a private equity company with an airport company providing the industry knowledge. The key to how well Stansted will perform is to understand who the airport company is and how good their commercial contacts are. Manchester Airport has to be in the running and therefore I suspect European Traffic will be the focus. Tommyc2005 has it correct in my opinion

Buster the Bear
4th Apr 2011, 19:08
Expect to see a year on year decline of movements this summer of 15% according to 'official' figures.

pamann
4th Apr 2011, 21:29
Buster...

We understand your feelings on STN and your certain love for London's 4th airport, but do you really need to drop by the STN thread every so often with your doom and gloom comments? Do us STN followers pop over to your thread about said 'airport on hill', pull down our pants and p*** all over it...? No.

We get you ok. :ugh:

pamann
4th Apr 2011, 21:37
BTW...

LTN passenger stats show a -3% reduction on February last year, can't find the projected expectations (and can't be asked) but no need to go buy the bunting, streamers, balloons and/or post it on the LTN thread really is there. :ok:

Based on 'Official' CAA stats

gazpodel
22nd Apr 2011, 09:28
Was doing a little bit of ground spotting last night watching the incessant traffic flying over Harlow from my mate's garden - When I went home and looked on flightradar24.com, I noticed that going into stansted was reg G-CEPL, which doing research is a JET2 plane.

However, it didnt show on any schedule on the airports website or on flightstats.

Am wondering if this was a re-positioning flight?? :confused:

pamann
22nd Apr 2011, 11:02
Jet2 do operate cargo/mail as well as ad-hoc passenger flights from Stansted as per their Channel Express heritage.

Skipness One Echo
22nd Apr 2011, 21:21
G-CEPL is registered as a Spitfire.

stuinn
2nd May 2011, 07:08
I see Royal Caribbean are starting British Airways charter flights from Stansted to Venice from June to meet their cruise ship Voyager of the Seas. Any ideas what size aircraft is going to be used?

daz211
2nd May 2011, 08:33
Also BA are doing charters from Stansted to Palma and Enfidha on SAT and SUN during the summer...

globetrotter79
2nd May 2011, 08:38
The BA Stansted weekend charters are being flown by subsidiary BA CityFlyer using Embraer regional jets ferrying over from London City.

daz211
6th May 2011, 12:06
Noticed this flight on the Stansted departures today 06/05/11 ...

AB1007 12:00 TENERIFE --- Gate closed.

Is the above flight a new summer route for AirBerlin or just a special charter.
I do remember AirBerlin doing PMI last year or the year before but not TFS.

ericlday
6th May 2011, 14:00
Operated by A330 D-ALPA