PDA

View Full Version : STANSTED - 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

EI-BUD
9th Jul 2013, 12:25
Little Red at STN? Cannot imagine what the idea behind that is. EZY and FR combination have STN well covered. Domestics are the domain of EZY and there is no interlining opportunities for VS ex STN....

Developing that idea, if VS are planning to expand the Little Red brand this may mean a demand for an increasing number of EI airbus aircraft that are not a plenty, or VS intending to take this inhouse themselves and acquire 320s in their own rite?

EI-BUD

LBIA
9th Jul 2013, 12:30
Have heard that Jet2 are to run an extra over night royal mail flight into STN as well using a Boeing 737-300QC...

TOWTEAMBASE
9th Jul 2013, 15:27
Aaa ah the return of sat 1. Where have you been, the prune has been dull without you. Cargo carrier yes, although not sure how long swissport will keep them happy for. As for little red, not so sure about that one, unless Virgin are planning a return to STN, but on a longhaul scale this time. And the future is no longer orange

Fairdealfrank
9th Jul 2013, 17:26
Quote: "Little Red at STN? Cannot imagine what the idea behind that is. EZY and FR combination have STN well covered. Domestics are the domain of EZY and there is no interlining opportunities for VS ex STN...."

Does sound bizarre! Would expect any expansion of Little Red to be something like GLA-LHR.

Wasn't the point of Little Red to replicate the former BD domestic routes that (a) provided some competition with BA; (b) provided connecting pax to VS (longhaul); and (c) provided connecting pax to other Star Alliance carriers?

This can't be done at STN....maybe Little Red is branching into cargo only ops as well?

nigel osborne
9th Jul 2013, 18:03
Anyone know Ryan Air plans for this winter, will they be parking loads up at STN again, or is their enough work for those planes around Europe now ?

Nigel

Tranceaddict
9th Jul 2013, 19:31
Easyjet contract up for renewal

Completely untrue :ugh:

sunday8pm
9th Jul 2013, 21:50
As per my post the Ryanair thread it's a little early to tell maybe. Some routes are on sale, but I'm still waiting on SZG for skiing hoping its not been dropped. Other routes to Austria are loaded now but I'm helpfully assured it will follow in due course and to hold tight. No doubt they'll be parking a few but my guess would be not as many as in recent winters.

adfly
9th Jul 2013, 21:55
Thought I read somewhere it would be around 60 parked up for the winter compared to 80 in previous winters.

nigel osborne
9th Jul 2013, 22:02
Thanks Adfly,

Nigel

FRatSTN
11th Jul 2013, 13:51
Stansted: New boost to cargo network at London Stansted (http://www.stanstedairport.com/about-us/media-centre/press-releases/new-boost-to-cargo-network-at-london-stansted)

nigel osborne
13th Jul 2013, 09:14
Anyone got a list of the LHR diversions yesterday

LAX_LHR
13th Jul 2013, 09:19
There was at least a Kuwait Airways B747-400 and Jet Airways B777-300.

Not sure of the full list.

FRatSTN
13th Jul 2013, 10:23
There were a few BA A319/20's as well.

carbootking
13th Jul 2013, 10:39
it was absolute chaos with the diversions , people were wanting to get back to heathrow and were told to make there own way there , and then send the bill to the airlines later , taxis and hotels had a good day

nigel osborne
13th Jul 2013, 13:32
Thanks folks. Only had 2 at BHX but one was the IB A330

Nigel

sat1
19th Jul 2013, 13:21
Stansted is a scaleable and flexible solution to the UK’s aviation capacity needs – able to offer additional capacity and then grow incrementally to two, three or four runways in the future.
Fewer residents are exposed to noise at Stansted than at other major airports in the South East; 258,500 at Heathrow compared to 1,250 at Stansted.
The space for additional runways, terminals, roads and rail connections is more readily available at Stansted than at alternatives.
Stansted is likely to represent the most cost-effective solution for the country. It is estimated an on-airport cost of developing a four-runway hub at Stansted would around £10bn – much less than the cost of an Estuary Airport or expansion at Heathrow.

compton3bravo
19th Jul 2013, 16:58
The only problem Sat1 is nobody wants to fly long haul from Stansted - many airlines over the years have tried and either failed or given up. You can pontificate as much as you like but the fare paying public will fly from WHERE they want to go to and its Heathrow, Heathrow, Heathrow and a bit of leisure traffic from Gatwick.

TOWTEAMBASE
20th Jul 2013, 08:31
Sat1......have you swallowed a dictionary for breakfast :-) its true STN has tried long haul before, but it's biggest issue is connecting flights. Who wants to pay 5k for a fully flat bed from JFK.......only to have to jump onto an FR or EZY into Europe when they arrive in the UK. BA are trying he A380 into STN next week to make sure it fits. No mention of the 787 though, at least the new multi million pound fire engines would get a run out

Fairdealfrank
20th Jul 2013, 13:14
Quote:"BA are trying he A380 into STN next week to make sure it fits. No mention of the 787 though, at least the new multi million pound fire engines would get a run out"

Only because STN may be needed in the event of diversions.

Because of its size, the B787 is not an issue.

STN Ramp Rat
20th Jul 2013, 14:10
so when is the A380 due then? I am surprised it has not been well publicised given that it will be a first visit of the type

commit aviation
20th Jul 2013, 14:18
Plans tend to change - there have been a couple of suggested dates so far but currently its coming from BHX on the 29th & leaving the following morning to SNN

TOWTEAMBASE
20th Jul 2013, 19:09
Lets just hope for BA sake that swissport don't use the same jet bridge driver that met the qantas Olympic team or it could end up with a hole in it bigger than the Ethiopian Dreamliner :-)

sat1
22nd Jul 2013, 09:09
Anyone looked at swissports website today????

STN Ramp Rat
22nd Jul 2013, 09:22
http://www.pprune.org/flight-ground-ops-crewing-dispatch/519661-servisair-swissport.html

yes !

GroundControl1
23rd Jul 2013, 12:28
As most of you are aware the easyJet contract at STN is up for renewal with Menzies. It is believed that Swissport will be bidding for the tender of this contract but they will not be lower their handling fees to in order in outbid Menzies. With the success of the Swissport/easyJet operation at BHX it is believed EZY will be looking to bring this to STN...

Tranceaddict
23rd Jul 2013, 16:17
As most of you are aware the easyJet contract at STN is up for renewal with Menzies.

As I have said previously on this thread, completely untrue, you may think you know, but you don't.

Capt Wannabe
23rd Jul 2013, 17:06
completely untrue, you may think you know, but you don't

Really?????

:ugh:

SWBKCB
23rd Jul 2013, 17:55
With the success of the Swissport/easyJet operation at BHX it is believed EZY will be looking to bring this to STN...

easyJet at BHX??

OltonPete
23rd Jul 2013, 19:00
SWBKCB

easy have Four movements a day in summer at BHX and double figures on a Saturday in winter, mega stuff :hmm:

Pete

GroundControl1
23rd Jul 2013, 19:06
what makes you 100% sure that it wont happen?? you seem very confident about this??

Tranceaddict
23rd Jul 2013, 20:47
what makes you 100% sure that it wont happen??

I did not say it won't happen, it could well happen one day when the contract is up for renewal, however that time is not now, or in the immediate future.

My correction's were to the 2 inaccurate pieces of information below

by GroundControl1

As most of you are aware the easyJet contract at STN is up for renewal with Menzies.

and sat1

Easyjet contract up for renewal

Neither of these statements are true

sat1
24th Jul 2013, 12:01
we will see

FRatSTN
24th Jul 2013, 15:39
Thomson has added a new route to Kos from May 6th 2014.

However there will no longer be a second flight to Palma de Mallorca on Tuesdays except from between July 15th and September 9th 2014 when it will depart at the much later time of 23:40.

But overall another welcomed increase. With this alongside Thomas Cook expected to be using an A321 all summer next year at Stansted as well, it looks a bit better than this year in terms of charter traffic and package holiday availability.

rocket_dog
24th Jul 2013, 22:52
Neither of these statements are true

The futures bright, the futures red!!!

mikkie4
25th Jul 2013, 16:39
ther was some talk that Jetairfly were doing palma mallorca on behalf of thomson from Southend next year flying on a tuesday

Tranceaddict
25th Jul 2013, 19:07
The futures bright, the futures red!!!

That may well be true as well, what most of you don't seem to be grasping is the concept of what I am saying, you all think the contract renewal is imminent, I can assure you it is not, unless EZY want to pay to get out of the current contract early (as I am sure there are penalty clauses both ways if either side wants to jack it in early) then there is still a considerable amount of time left on the current one and therefore no change of GHA.

sat1
25th Jul 2013, 20:22
any contract is only good for 90 days,we all know that,apart from trance.Maybe he chose his name well( in a trance)!!!!

rocket_dog
25th Jul 2013, 21:46
I think TranceAddict will look great in a RED uniform in the back of an easyJet hold!!!

Tranceaddict
26th Jul 2013, 17:30
any contract is only good for 90 days

I agree but as I said

unless EZY want to pay to get out of the current contract early

Time will tell

I think TranceAddict will look great in a RED uniform in the back of an easyJet hold!!!

Being red doesn't bother me, I've been every other colour, another one to add to the list won't make any difference :ok:

TOWTEAMBASE
29th Jul 2013, 16:23
How come no mention of the A380 arriving in STN today, is that not a big event anymore ?

LTNman
29th Jul 2013, 17:13
Was it lost:}

Stanstedeye
29th Jul 2013, 18:05
The 380 was scheduled for STN on the BA site last week, and was due to stay overnight. It was said that it was to confirm that there are no problems in accommodating it if required.

TOWTEAMBASE
29th Jul 2013, 21:59
Yeah it was planned for a while, as was the 748 parked next to it for a photo shoot, just no mention on here, and nothing on local news either. They would normally report on Dogs taking a dump, but today nothing, strange. Had a thunderbolt in this week too for the 70th anniversary of STN

TOWTEAMBASE
29th Jul 2013, 21:59
And LTNman.......i think your lost too :-)

papabravowhiskey
30th Jul 2013, 14:23
Be careful who you leave your car with!
According to the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-23500846), Essex Trading Standards have been receiving calls regarding unscrupulous "Meet and Greet" services, where the car is returned with rather more miles on it that you might expect ... memories of the crowd at Heathrow that hired out cars that had been left with them for long-term parking ...

PBW

pabely
30th Jul 2013, 17:26
Shame there are no B-26s flying

FRatSTN
31st Jul 2013, 09:06
Stansted Owner Aims to Draw Airlines With $122 Million Overhaul - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-30/stansted-owner-aims-to-draw-airlines-with-122-million-overhaul.html)

sxflyer
31st Jul 2013, 11:42
It is looking more credible with actions such as this that some long haul services can be initiated at a sensible scale perhaps sooner rather than later. I think forget the USA and Far East, while I'm sure NYC would work not even Gatwick has such a service and STN lacks the connections full-service Far Eastern carriers would need to succeed. Daily Emirates though is certainly feasible, to strengthen their London position and scoop up more pax from this side of London, less so Etihad or Qatar but I wouldn't completely rule either out.

They must also have a couple of other full service carriers in mind they realistically believe can poached or enticed - I would guess getting Turkish back from LGW and El Al from LTN as the most likely. There were rumours of bmi regional a while ago also though I'm not sure they would quite bring the massive influx of new pax that justifies the expenditure!

EI-BUD
31st Jul 2013, 12:01
Can't help but think STN would be a fine airport for DY to locate long haul services while maintaining European operation at LGW. MAG certainly would have an appetite to incentivise such business while getting slots at LGW is pricey as we have seen recently with BE sale of theirs.

davidjohnson6
31st Jul 2013, 12:25
sxflyer - Luton would have to be extraordinarily awkward or Stansted exteaordinarily cheap to persuade El Al to move from Luton back to Stansted. The main Jewish community in the UK lives along the M1 corridor between Hendon and St Albans - which happens to be very near Luton. Easyjet coincidentally have a strong Tel Aviv route from Luton as well.

Skipness One Echo
31st Jul 2013, 15:05
Can't help but think STN would be a fine airport for DY to locate long haul services while maintaining European operation at LGW.
Why? What's the upside? Long haul yields traditionally follow the London Airport order of order LHR/LGW/ non existant. Why add the additional costs of a split London operation if there's no uplift in revenue?

The only reasons for any of QR/EK/EY to serve STN would be to attract passengers who they have not yet tied up via LHR/LGW. Now given QR/EY walked away from LGW I see little chance of an Essex outpost which leaves EK. Now they serve some regional airports covering the country well at the minute, it's not as if STN is a large untapped gap in the market. We're not seeing Stansted locals connect over AMS with KLM or FRA with LH even. That leaves pinching more pax off BA or cannibalising er....Emirates at LHR/LGW ! I could see a two class B77W though, if it works for NCL it could work for STN, the key issue for me would be the effect it would have on diluting loads or yields elsewhere at LHR/LGW.

EI-BUD
31st Jul 2013, 15:28
Why? What's the upside? Long haul yields traditionally follow the London Airport order of order LHR/LGW/ non existant. Why add the additional costs of a split London operation if there's no uplift in revenue?

Hi Skipness One Echo,

Upsides with STN I see being good availability of slots for DY, no large entry costs for obtaining slots, likely much lower cost operation to enable DY to be more competitive on price. Difficult for loco airline to significantly differentiate on long haul given aircraft utilisation at par with incumbent ( usually legacy airlines ). STN may be offer the lower cost airport that can give them a head start here. Though I accept LGW may offer opportunity to give higher utilisation with say 787 as it could do sun spot route during lay over.

AirAsia may have withdrawn but we are lead to believe this was due to impact on parent company.

I wouldn't call the cost of split operation a major issue. Many split their operations across airports at big cities. CDG/ORY, LHR/LGW, MXP/LIN. I would suggest if DY has intensions for long haul at LGW of any scale if will be costly to develop either through procuring new slots of swapping slots from existing operations that are we are lead to believe performing well. Whereas STN has significant capacity.

I certainly believe that STN does have possibilities in terms of transatlantic or inter continental flights. It does require the right airline, with the right approach , differentiated in some way e.g price, service, convenience, that previous carriers have not achieved eg American ex STN on the Atlantic.

EI - BUD

Ps I don't have a preference for STN on the contrary quite prefer LGW, and despite the fantastic progress that it has made I still see STN as having lots of potential.

sat1
2nd Aug 2013, 11:00
Likes (0)
swissport loading-1_rgbSwissport and the French Derichebourg SA have announced they have signed a definitive agreement under which Swissport will acquire Servisair from the French Derichebourg SA. Swissport says it has already secured appropriate financing for the acquisition. Swissport adds that by combining the two companies, the new group will enable it to: “continue improving its worldwide service offering to customers.” A company statement says the acquisition has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies and is subject to merger clearance by the competent merger control authorities.
Swissport provides ground services for around 118 million passengers and handles 3.5 million tonnes of cargo a year on behalf of some 650 client-companies in the aviation sector. With a workforce of around 40,000 personnel it is active at 180 stations in 37 countries across five continents, and says it generates annual consolidated operating revenue of CHF 1.9 billion (US$2.02bn).

Servisair currently provides ground handling, cargo, fuelling, load control and airport services at 118 stations in 20 countries. Total revenue of Servisair in FY2012 was €688 million (US$909m) earned with a workforce of about 15,000 staff.
“Servisair is a great company with very high quality standards and with its impressive reputation it is a perfect fit for Swissport´s global and sustainable growth strategy”, said Per H Utnegaard, Group President & CEO of Swissport. ”We are very pleased with the acquisition and we are looking forward to working with staff, airport operators, and customers to ensure a seamless transfer.”

sat1
2nd Aug 2013, 11:02
I guess we can kiss goodbye to any wage rise then??

FRatSTN
2nd Aug 2013, 18:50
Lets hope this isn't just a glitch or a wind up!

Looks almost too good to be true for me but some major Thomas Cook growth next summer!

Looks like TWO A321 aircraft to be based at Stansted from June 2014.

New routes include:

Corfu
Fuerteventura
Kefalonia
Izmir

Increased frequency on:

Lanzarote
Palma de Mallorca
Tenerife-South

Probably still more to come as there's still a few gaps left!!!

Still not visible for Thomas Cook holidays but new flights can be seen on the flythomascook website:

Fly Thomas Cook | Cheap Flights - Offers & Deals Online (http://www.flythomascook.com/)

daz211
2nd Aug 2013, 20:07
I would like to see Thomas cook try long haul out of Stansted.

mikkie4
2nd Aug 2013, 21:24
with thomson and ryan air flying to kefalonia will there be enough pax for three carriers?

rocket_dog
3rd Aug 2013, 00:04
MAG currently is talks with Air India. Also offering a route to Toronto!!

goldeneye
3rd Aug 2013, 08:27
TCX Long Haul out of STN

They have dropped MCO from LGW next Summer so I would think its unlikely unless they have struck a deal with MAG.

LadyL2013
3rd Aug 2013, 11:43
It would be good to see more TCX operations out of STN to break up the monotony of harps and orange.

I could see some more long haul carriers from developing countries starting up there as well as it must be cheaper than LGW?

LTNman
3rd Aug 2013, 12:33
MAG currently is talks with Air India. Also offering a route to Toronto!!

I wonder how much MAG are willing to pay

nt639
3rd Aug 2013, 14:00
Hopefully get the Air Blue flights as well that are supposed to be starting from the airfield on the hill! :}, maybe they will do a deal as they already operate from MAN

HOODED
3rd Aug 2013, 21:13
Nt639 I don't know if you are getting confused but Air Blue have anounced flights to ISB and LHE from BHX in competition witth PIA using A340s. As far as I'm aware BHX is not on a hill LBA is but they only have 2 ISB flights a week using A310s so there is little market there worth chasing for Air Blue and they already operate ex MAN so why bother. PIA are pulling out of LBA anyway when the A310s retire so I hear. MAN will only increase its Pakistan market in the next few years once that happens.

nt639
3rd Aug 2013, 21:19
No, I was referring to LTN, on the LTN thread there is references to them starting at LTN

HOODED
3rd Aug 2013, 21:37
Apologies I forgot LTN is also on the hill.:O

FRatSTN
5th Aug 2013, 10:11
For a brief spell this morning, Thomas Cook had uploaded all the new destinations from Stansted for Summer 2014 available for package holiday reservations.

For some reason they have been taken off sale again! :{

However I remember Thomson strangely did something like this in April when they put all their Summer 2014 flights on sale, so I expect they will be available again fairly soon.

Luckily I managed to view them all just in time and can now say that the new destinations for Summer 2014 are/were...

Corfu
Heraklion
Fuerteventura
Izmir
Kefalonia
Kos
Rhodes
Skiathos

Increased frequency on...

Antalya
Enfidha
Lanzarote
Palma de Mallorca
Tenerife-South
Zakynthos

Plus the continuation of the service to Bodrum which originally appeared to cease in October 2013.

Providing these new services do finally materialise (like they were displayed earlier this morning), the FULL schedule for charter flights at Stansted in August 2014 as it currently stands is as follows...

MONDAY
arr.
TCX 11:30 Minorca
TOM 12:25 Minorca
TCX 13:25 Corfu
TOM 16:25 Dalaman
BGH 19:00 Bourgas
TCX 22:05 Dalaman
TOM 23:30 Gran Canaria
TCX 23:50 Bodrum
TOM 23:55 Ibiza

dep.
TCX 05:30 Minorca
TCX 06:00 Corfu
TOM 06:35 Minorca
TOM 07:15 Dalaman
TCX 12:45 Dalaman
TOM 13:55 Gran Canaria
TCX 14:40 Bodrum
TOM 17:55 Ibiza
BGH 20:00 Bourgas

TUESDAY
arr.
TOM 11:55 Palma de Mallorca
TCX 12:35 Palma de Mallorca
TOM 15:50 Zakynthos
TCX 16:55 Tenerife-South
TCX 19:30 Palma de Mallorca
TOM 22:20 Kos
TOM 02:50 Antlaya +1
TCX 03:10 Heraklion +1
TOM 05:35 Palma de Mallorca +1
TCX 06:40 Antalya +1

dep.
TOM 06:00 Palma de Mallorca
TCX 06:05 Palma de Mallorca
TCX 07:15 Tenerife-South
TOM 08:00 Zakynthos
TOM 13:25 Kos
TCX 13:35 Palma de Mallorca
TOM 17:15 Antalya
TCX 18:10 Heraklion
TCX 21:00 Antalya
TOM 23:40 Palma de Mallorca

WEDNESDAY
arr.
TCX 13:25 Enfidha
TCX 15:30 Ibiza
TOM 17:30 Fuerteventura
TOM 18:30 Paphos
TCX 23:45 Fuerteventura
TCX 01:55 Rhodes +1
TOM 02:55 Enfidha +1
TOM 03:55 Rhodes +1

dep.
TCX 06:15 Enfidha
TOM 08:00 Fuerteventura
TOM 08:15 Paphos
TCX 09:20 Ibiza
TCX 14:40 Fuerteventura
TCX 16:45 Rhodes
TOM 18:50 Rhodes
TOM 19:55 Enfidha

THURSDAY
arr.
TCX 15:50 Zakynthos
TOM 16:25 Heraklion
TCX 16:35 Lanzarote
TOM 18:25 Lanzarote
TCX 02:00 Kos +1
TOM 02:20 Agadir +1
TCX 02:55 Dalaman +1
TOM 04:55 Dalaman +1

dep.
TCX 07:15 Lanzarote
TOM 07:25 Heraklion
TCX 07:50 Zakynthos
TOM 09:20 Lanzarote
TCX 17:05 Kos
TCX 17:50 Dalaman
TOM 17:55 Agadir
TOM 19:45 Dalaman

FRIDAY
arr.
TCX 10:50 Minorca
TOM 14:10 Minorca
TOM 16:25 Corfu
TCX 16:30 Skiathos
TCX 21:45 Tenerife-South
TOM 01:25 Tenerife-South +1
TOM 03:30 Antalya+1
TCX 03:35 Antalya +1
TCX 07:55 Dalaman +1

dep.
TCX 05:00 Minorca
TCX 07:00 Skiathos
TOM 08:20 Minorca
TOM 09:15 Corfu
TCX 12:05 Tenerife-South
TOM 15:50 Tenerife-South
TCX 17:45 Antalya
TOM 17:55 Antalya
TCX 22:55 Dalaman

SATURDAY
arr.
TCX 12:25 Palma de Mallorca
TOM 13:10 Ibiza
TOM 14:10 Palma de Mallorca
TCX 19:05 Antalya
TCX 22:55 Izmir
TOM 01:20 Rhodes +1
TOM 02:00 Rhodes +1
TCX 03:30 Enfidha +1

dep.
TCX 06:10 Palma de Mallorca
TOM 06:55 Ibiza
TOM 08:05 Palma de Mallorca
TCX 09:15 Antalya
TCX 13:55 Izmir
TOM 15:05 Paphos
TOM 16:55 Rhodes
TCX 20:20 Enfidha

SUNDAY
arr.
TOM 12:35 Faro
TCX 13:50 Kefalonia
TCX 15:30 Zakynthos
TOM 15:55 Kefalonia
TCX 00:25 Lanzarote +1
TOM 01:25 Sharm El Sheikh +1
TCX 02:30 Antalya +1
TOM 02:45 Heraklion +1

dep.
TCX 06:00 Kefalonia
TOM 06:00 Faro
TCX 07:35 Zakynthos
TOM 08:10 Kefalonia
TOM 13:45 Sharm El Sheikh
TCX 15:05 Lanzarote
TCX 16:45 Antalya
TOM 17:55 Heraklion

Looks pretty impressive for Stansted yet it's a shame there's still nothing to Cyprus with TCX. Larnaca still remains fully unserved!

Lets just hope that package holidays bookings become available again very soon!!!:confused:

FRatSTN
6th Aug 2013, 08:32
New Thomas Cook destinations now on sale again!:D

Hopefully they will stay on sale this time!

I made a slight mistake with the schedule above which I have now corrected. There is an extra flight to Enfidha on Wednesday mornings before the Fuerteventura rotation therefore the schedule is fully completed.

All going to plan, Thomas Cook will serve 18 routes from Stansted in Summer 2014:
- Antalya
- Bodrum
- Corfu
- Dalaman
- Enfidha
- Fuerteventura
- Heraklion
- Ibiza
- Izmir
- Kefalonia
- Kos
- Lanzarote
- Minorca
- Palma de Mallorca
- Rhodes
- Skiathos
- Tenerife-South
- Zakynthos

LGS6753
11th Aug 2013, 13:10
In a recent report, published in the Daily Mail, the country's top ten crime spots are:

Meridian Sq., Stratford, London 3,440
Westfield Shopping Centre, Shepherd's Bush, London 2,524
Newgate St., Newcastle-upon-Tyne 1.898
Aire Street, Leeds, Yorkshire 1,629
Seymour St., Maylebone, London 1,613
Stansted Airport, Essex 1,530
Piccadilly Station, Manchester 1,508
Victoria Rail & Coach Station, London 1,483
Kings Cross & St Pancras stations, London 1,322
Euston Station, London 1,283

(Crimes reported to Police, Jan 2012 to June 2013)

For comparison:

Luton Airport, Luton, Beds 255

Note: "Thiefrow" not on the list.

nt639
11th Aug 2013, 13:30
LGS looks like you are always trawling the net looking for negative things regarding STN?. For comparison STN is a much larger airport with more passengers than the airfield on the hill:} so no comparison really.

LTNman
11th Aug 2013, 15:10
Potential Al-Qaeda sympathizers living within 3 miles of Stansted Airport = Probably 0
Potential Al-Qaeda sympathizers living within 3 miles of Luton Airport = Probably 35,000

For comparison STN is a much larger airport with more passengers than the airfield on the hill so no comparison really.

Yes but not by a factor of 5. Isn't Essex overrun with Caravan Utilising Nomadic Traveller types???

FRatSTN
11th Aug 2013, 18:02
Stansted Airport, Essex 1,530

(Crimes reported to Police, Jan 2012 to June 2013)

For comparison:

Luton Airport, Luton, Beds 255

What is the point you're trying to make and who are you trying to inform, or impress other than yourself?

To have the urge to even post stuff like this (without even the decency to provide a web link) just shows what an embarrassment you are to the professionals and aviation enthusiasts on this forum.

It only emphasises your lack of intelligence or interest if you seriously have nothing better to contribute with.

I guarantee if you came across Luton having higher crime rates, or any stat that undervalued it under Stansted for that matter, i.e "Crimes not reported to Police, Jan 2012 to June 2013" a good example perhaps, then you would most certainly keep schtum about it wouldn't you?

I don't grudge your preference for Luton, but to have such a hatred with a passion for Stansted and to have to post stuff like this to show that, to me only shows a level of insecurity in what you support.

Please grow up a bit and stop filling this forum with meaningless crap.

While we're here, I would also like to point out the good news we've had from Thomas Cook, who by the way doesn't serve Luton.

Here is, as ever required... the source: Stansted: Thomas Cook Airlines adds additional aircraft to London Stansted (http://www.stanstedairport.com/about-us/media-centre/press-releases/thomas-cook-airlines-adds-additional-aircraft-to-london-stansted)

Going from 1 A320 to 2 A321's, more than doubling seat capacity at an airport (or on one occasion LGS, a "turd") in the "wrong place" is quite a commitment for a company that nearly went bust in the last year or two.
Looks like Luton isn't all that more attractive after all, not that I have a problem with Luton of course.

150,000 passengers flying with them from Stansted next year, a heck of a lot more than those who will report a crime to the police!

stuinn
11th Aug 2013, 19:27
Well said FR. Next we will debating who is best at doing their police job!!!!'

LGS6753
11th Aug 2013, 20:15
The usual suspects are out and about!

My information, as quoted in my post, came from the Daily Mail website (not one I habitually frequent, but one which Mrs LGS favours).

I thought the comparison with Luton and Heathrow would be of interest, but it merely caused the locals some discombobulation!

FRatSTN
11th Aug 2013, 21:49
The usual suspects are out and about!

And the usual suspect (notice no "s"? That's singular, meaning your on your own mate) is out and about **** stirring again and contributing no knowledge or experience to this forum.

My information, as quoted in my post, came from the Daily Mail website (not one I habitually frequent, but one which Mrs LGS favours).
Link?

If you can't provide a link, your information isn't quoted from anywhere, just supposedly true according to your say (which isn't much of one I may add).

I thought the comparison with Luton and Heathrow would be of interest, but it merely caused the locals some discombobulation!

No. You thought, as ever, you would come up with some lame excuse to show your dislike of STN. But I must say hats off to you, this has definitely been the most entertaining one for yet if you ask me!

LTNman
11th Aug 2013, 22:43
OK, I will provide a link

Britain's crime hotspots: Astonishing new figures identify the most lawless postcodes in the country... and zero in on London's Westfield Shopping centres | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389085/Britains-crime-hotspots-Astonishing-new-figures-identify-lawless-postcodes-country--zero-Londons-Westfield-Shopping-centres.html).

No point in shooting the messenger! Stansted has more crime than places like Brixton and Toxteth.

FRatSTN
11th Aug 2013, 23:25
Stansted has more crime than places like Brixton and Toxteth.

That's not really the point, the fact is the figure is still extremely tiny compared to the amount of people that not necessarily fly, but even go to Stansted Airport in an 18 month period.

The point is the context in which LGS originally posted. With a post entitled "hold on to your wallets" to something almost insignificant when put to scale, it's not rocket science to work out what LGS is really yet again trying to do!

LTNman
12th Aug 2013, 05:41
As the post codes listed are showing 6 characters it is pin pointing buildings and individual streets. No doubt an area somewhere like Brixton has more crime than Stansted but more crime is committed in the terminal at Stansted than any individual street in say Brixton.

The locals around Luton have been complaining for years that thefts from cars parked at the airport, which has a LU2 post code has increased their car insurance premiums as they also have LU2 post codes.

Strange though why the terminal at Stansted has more crime than say Heathrow or Manchester but then there is more than one terminal at those airports so they probably have more than one postcode.

Also worth noting that Belfast Airport is number 3 for violent crime

Artie Fufkin
12th Aug 2013, 06:47
Wow, The Daily M@il surpassing itself with hysterical, misleading nonsense. Shocker!

Any possible confusion about the quality of this source is confirmed by checking out another of their incisive pieces of journalism

"Ashley Greene gets it wrong as she flashes her bra under a pair of dungarees out in LA" (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2389352/Ashley-Greene-gets-wrong-flashes-bra-pair-dungarees.html)

carousel
12th Aug 2013, 15:13
If a good look is taken at the breakdown of crimes at Stansted it may be seen that a lot of the reported crime outcome is offensive weapons, most of which are recovered lock & flick knives plus Mace and other self defence items whilst legal in most of the EU are not in the UK, which are found at security bag and body searches. The other high incidences are shoplifters, because airport shops are easy targets and drunk and disorderly, all to often arriving this way (it costs too much to get pi55ed at the airport)

LGS6753
14th Aug 2013, 17:42
Baggage handlers to strike at Stansted | Travel Daily UK (http://www.traveldailymedia.com/195857/baggage-handler-strikes-at-stansted/)

TOWTEAMBASE
15th Aug 2013, 08:00
They are not baggage handlers as such, they screen OOG

FRatSTN
16th Aug 2013, 15:35
This should be of some interest to LGS6753.

Praise for Stansted detective as hire car thieves head to jail | Uttlesford village headlines (http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/News/Uttlesford/Praise-for-Stansted-detective-as-hire-car-thieves-head-to-jail-20130816160845.htm)

Will be interesting to hear what is said about this...

FRatSTN
19th Aug 2013, 16:05
BBC News - Stansted Airport baggage scanners call off strike (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-23758302)

mikkie4
25th Aug 2013, 23:26
Most nights there are3 flights to istanbul from stansted 23.35 00.40 03.20,are there that many people wishing to fly to turkey? if so any thoughts on pax numbers per plane?,would it be more cost efective to fly one large plane rather than 3 smaller ones

LAX_LHR
26th Aug 2013, 11:11
would it be more cost efective to fly one large plane rather than 3 smaller
ones

Pegasus only have the B737-800, so no larger alternative.

rutankrd
26th Aug 2013, 14:01
One flight is a tech stop and is actually headed to Ercan Cyprus ,one goes on to Gaziantep and the final flight is a terminator.

Unusually for a flexible fares airline they also hub via Istanbul East with connections throughout Turkey and into the Trans Caucuses ideal for oil/gas rigg workers (as opposed to salesmen !)

whitelighter
26th Aug 2013, 15:11
Anyone know what the Turkish Air 737-800 was doing at Stansted this morning?

carbootking
26th Aug 2013, 17:50
Fenerbahçe v arsenal tomorrow players came in normal arrivals area with very noisy crowd waiting for them

Stanstedeye
30th Aug 2013, 19:42
Gambia Bird 319 3G1600 due tomorrow at 05.30 from Banjul.
This was a Gatwick destination.

Musket90
30th Aug 2013, 20:28
Stanstedeye - Maybe it's a Titan B757 which is operating for Gambia Bird this week.

Stanstedeye
30th Aug 2013, 20:38
Then why not to Gatwick as scheduled on the 3G website

Tranceaddict
31st Aug 2013, 07:37
Then why not to Gatwick as scheduled on the 3G website

Because Titans base is STN, aircraft is positioning back after operating for them

LGS6753
6th Sep 2013, 08:08
Anna Aero are questioning the future of Air Berlin at STN:

airberlin to launch Berlin services from London City Airport predicts anna.aero (or possibly Munich, Hamburg, Stuttgart) | anna.aero (http://www.anna.aero/2013/09/05/airberlin-to-launch-berlin-services-from-london-city-airport-predicts-anna-aero/?utm_source=anna.aero+newsletter&utm_campaign=cfd535c4e7-anna_nl_030713_resend&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ecdbf41674-cfd535c4e7-86727561)

FRatSTN
16th Sep 2013, 09:22
Apparently MAG are expected to announce a deal with Ryanair over landing charges at Stansted. Unfortunately, I don't know much else about it.

FRatSTN
16th Sep 2013, 14:18
http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-agrees-10-year-growth-deal-at-Stansted

4 NEW ROUTES (BORDEAUX, DORTMUND, LISBON & RABAT)
43 BASED AIRCRAFT (UP FROM 37)
2,000 WEEKLY FLIGHTS (UP FROM 1,800)
14.5M PASSENGERS (UP FROM 13.2M)

And hopefully this just proves to all of you who think Stansted is a dead dog that you were wrong, and under new ownership, Stansted can now look forward to growing once again!

Skipness One Echo
16th Sep 2013, 14:34
And hopefully this just proves to all of you who think Stansted is a dead dog that you were wrong, and under new ownership, Stansted can now look forward to growing once again!
43 based aircraft in Stansted (up from 37)
This is just a return by Ryanair of the aircraft they removed until they got their own way. It's not a dead dog by any means, it's just going to have to raise revenue by other means as it's core base remains overwhelmingly at the cheaper end of the locos.

j636
16th Sep 2013, 15:03
FRatSTN

Ryanair have no choice but to stay at STN if they want to have a share on London traffic. No other airports in London for them.

FRatSTN
16th Sep 2013, 16:46
True but not that simple. They would not be growing by over a million passengers next year at Stansted after the continued decline if MAG didn't give them an attractive reason to do so. And especially as aircraft will have to relocate from elsewhere because the new aircraft deliveries don't start until September 2014.

Ryanair to cut Stansted fares in drive to reach passenger targets | Irish Examiner (http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/ryanair-to-cut-stansted-fares-in-drive-to-reach-passenger-targets-607133.html)

Announcing the deal with MAG at a London press conference, Mr O’Leary said charges were still “very high”.

He added: “We’ll be cutting some capacity at other airports for summer 2014 because there’s now incentive for us at Stansted to grow aggressively.

“Stansted’s already our biggest business but it’s about to get an awful lot bigger.”

Some other interesting quotes...

Mr O’Leary said it expected to grow passenger numbers by a million a year over the first seven years of the deal, but admitted that fares and margins will have to fall, and some services will have relocate from other airports.

Mr O’Leary also said Ryanair was working with the airport to help attract long-haul airlines.

racedo
16th Sep 2013, 17:38
This is just a return by Ryanair of the aircraft they removed until they got their own way. It's not a dead dog by any means, it's just going to have to raise revenue by other means as it's core base remains overwhelmingly at the cheaper end of the locos.

Many ways to negotiate............being direct and doing it is one.

Raise revenue by extra throughput is easier than by continually raising prices and pushing business away...........doubt there will be that much additional cost to increasing airport by a million.

Now if only Border Agency woke up and staffed the airport correctly it would be good. They are a shambles with inadequate staffing and a hostile attitude problem to passengers arriving.

Development of a family line for people with kids under age of 2 (none myself) would be a good idea.......amazingly that have seen it abroad where Pax push people with very young kids to the front as a matter of course.

LGS6753
16th Sep 2013, 18:51
Consequences of the Ryanair growth announcement:

Stansted becomes less attractive to new airlines due to the market strength of the dominant operator.

Ryanair represents an even larger proportion of STN's operations.

MAG are buying business - always a worrying strategy. They are obviously realizing they overpaid BAA.

As usual, Mr O'Leary is laughing all the way to the bank!

Skipness One Echo
16th Sep 2013, 19:36
Now if only Border Agency woke up and staffed the airport correctly it would be good. They are a shambles with inadequate staffing and a hostile attitude problem to passengers arriving.
Agreed but this is a consequence of the commercial imperative of the last wave arriving pretty much en masse, meaning the "staff" need to put their cuppas away, drop the crossword and get back to work, at midnight. I mean that's not a great job for anyone....
Welcome to London, sorry you've missed the last train, bus to Stratford anyone? Been there, done that....
LGS6753 is right, but you know what? I think it's all good, STN is getting back to where it was a few years back, drop the delusions of long haul and get back to doing what they do quite well. A Ryanair experience in a modern terminal building, that's pretty rare !

racedo
16th Sep 2013, 20:43
Agreed but this is a consequence of the commercial imperative of the last wave arriving pretty much en masse, meaning the "staff" need to put their cuppas away, drop the crossword and get back to work, at midnight. I mean that's not a great job for anyone....

Sadly were it drop the cuppa and run to your desks then it would be ok. On more than one occasion late at night I counted half the booths unmanned.

I assummed Border Agency was a service rather than an a Govt anti visitor initiative.

I watched a B Agency official come out heading to where a mum had a crying baby in arms and toddler by the hand, thinking fair play he will bring her forward as queue had taken 35 minutes to get to there. Having travelled with kids its not fun in situations like this.

Moron got most upset about someone daring to have taken a photo and ignored the mum despite getting asked can he bring her forward because of baby / toddler by other passengers.:ugh::ugh:

racedo
16th Sep 2013, 20:48
MAG are buying business - always a worrying strategy.

Depends whether you want it to be negative or not.....

IF your biggest customer is growing, you can grow as well, if you stifle their growth they will do it elsewhere and you won't.

Why P*** off your biggest customer when not required.

FRatSTN
16th Sep 2013, 21:30
MAG Stansted cannot afford to upset Ryanair. This IS good news.

Yes it's not ideal that Ryanair will become increasingly dominant at Stansted. But at the end of the day, it's much needed growth, investment, employment and gives more choice to consumers.

Ryanair is really the only quick fix, or short-term solution to promptly address Stansted declines and MAG would be highly stupid to turn it down.

Thomas Cook will more than double seat capacity next year, but while that's only very little in terms of passenger numbers, it shows that other airlines are willing to commit to Stansted.

Let's remember MAG have only been here for six months. In that time they have got an £80m terminal development underway, introduced a new "meet and greet" parking option, won back Air Moldova from Gatwick, had Aegean Airlines for the peak summer period, signed a deal to allow growth with EasyJet, more than doubled Thomas Cook flights and now got themselves a major deal with Ryanair.

All things considered I think so far they have done tremendously well! So those of you being so dull, please take all the negativity elsewhere, as it is not welcomed here!!:=

And by the way LGS6753 - You are so predictable that it's laughable! Where is your enthusiasm or optimism? You must live a really miserable life to be so negative about GROWTH in an industry which you should, as a member on this forum, be passionate about!!

aboveusonlysky
17th Sep 2013, 07:02
The long term deal STN/MAG announced on 13th June with easyjet.......

Stansted pins hopes on easyJet to stem decline in passengers - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10116735/Stansted-agrees-deal-with-easyJet-to-reverse-decline.html)

Does it still apply in light of FR deal?

Skipness One Echo
17th Sep 2013, 07:42
FRatST your enthusiasm is laudable but there are people on these boards who have seen this sort of thing before. It's not about growth to increase choice, that's a by product, it's about profit. MAG have to make back the money from somewhere that they no longer get from FR and EZY in charges. Hence there will be more charging for parking, pick up, drop off, trollies, looking out of the window and breathing. If you discount Peter, Paul must pay. It's not religious, believing in your airport like a football team, it's a business.

FRatSTN
17th Sep 2013, 08:35
Stansted airport owner admits it could be run for £5m less - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/9608307/Stansted-airport-owner-admits-it-could-be-run-for-5m-less.html)

Or maybe MAG are just making the cost savings that BAA could have done years ago?

In terms of profits, BAA had always had the strategy to pass on all the costs of operating/running an airport and funding huge infrastructural developments to the airlines through raising landing fees and airport costs, even if that does send business away. They get away with this more at Heathrow as airlines operating there are never going to want to move away, because it's the hub and obtaining slots are very valuable there due to the lack of them. All that happens is that those airlines then just pass the higher costs onto the passenger! In my opinion that's an awful way to do business!

MAG have taken the sustainable option. They have invested a reasonable amount, with other funding from elsewhere to improve terminal facilities and agree reasonable costs with airlines, adding much more value to the airport through effectively offering better facilities and at a lower cost (where the airlines can then REDUCE costs for passengers, so in this respect, making it cheaper for people to fly from there!)

The strategy is that MAG can now encourage MORE PEOPLE to spend MORE MONEY in those facilities invested in, boosting profits through retail as well as existing facilities like car parking, drop off charges etc. through the EXTRA passenger demand. It will not necessarily be through "Ryanair style" charges like paying to use a trolley, or a toilet!

WHBM
17th Sep 2013, 09:20
Came through Stansted this week, first time for a while.

Previous excellent drop-off point from architects' original plan now closed - now have to enter what was once part of car park, well away from terminal and at bottom level.

Taxi (and anyone else) had to pay £2 to drop us off - seemingly doubled if you are not out within 10 minutes.

Luggage trolleys are indeed now charged for, with coin lock mechanism. I had no relevant coins and thus had to manhandle suitcases all the way up ramp and into terminal - where drop-off entrance (at northern end) is at opposite end from all the check-in desks (at southern end).

In one of busiest months of the year at a very seasonal airport, main restaurant in departures area closed for building works.

Thinking of attracting "proper" airlines ? - In Your Dreams, Stansted.

JonEMA
17th Sep 2013, 09:31
All well and good if your airport handles passengers that are receptive to the retail and parking offer.

Unsurprisingly, however, Ryanair pax rank among the lowest in the industry for airport spend therefore it’s hard to see how MAG are going to make a return on this arrangement.

FRatSTN
17th Sep 2013, 10:20
Funny how that is because on outbound Ryanair flights from the UK you tend to only see teas and coffee's being served on-board with some people brining their own food on-board. On flights back just about everyone orders food eg. sandwiches, snacks, hot food etc.

Why? Because the extortionate prices in airports in Spain and Portugal in particular make people buy on-board rather than in the airport, to the point where sometimes it feels like a big picnic event on the plane.

One must only assume that Ryanair passengers must be buying in UK airports. I certainly do! €2.70 for water on Ryanair? €4.50 for a premium sandwich? No Thanks! Just get a Meal Deal from Smith's in Stansted Departures.

€4 for water in Faro Airport? €6 for a bag of Malteasers? No Thanks, €2.70 and €3.50 respectively on Ryanair! See the trend?

I disagree with you JonEMA, Ryanair passengers seem to be very good at buying at UK airports because the prices are often lower than onboard. It's those who have inflight meals with Thomson, Thomas Cook, Jet2 or Monarch pre-booked that don't spend a penny.

gilesdavies
17th Sep 2013, 12:46
Unsurprisingly, however, Ryanair pax rank among the lowest in the industry for airport spend therefore it’s hard to see how MAG are going to make a return on this arrangement.

I think another reason for this is Ryanair strictly enforces a one bag boarding policy...

easyJet and Monarch for example do not seem to take issue with you having a small separate bag with Duty Free or things you have purchased in the airport.

With Ryanair, you must put it all in your single bag!

I remember being at Malta Airport two or three years ago, and someone was forced to leave their duty free behind, as they had no room in their bag to put it... A member of cabin crew was helping process the boarding at the gate, and showed no flexibility and would not allow anyone else to carry the bag for them. Maybe it is more relaxed now?

Skipness One Echo
17th Sep 2013, 13:20
All that happens is that those airlines then just pass the higher costs onto the passenger! In my opinion that's an awful way to do business!

Um, that's how business works. The reason Ryanair hacks so many people off is that instead of one "high" price, you get a "cheap" headline airfare and the difference between the two is made up in discretionary payments that are really essential. It's a false saving for most people.
No Thanks! Just get a Meal Deal from Smith's in Stansted Departures.
The level of your business acumen is clear if you think WHS in Departures is good value. In all seriousness, and I do mean to be direct here, they're one of the most complained about rip off merchants, Retail price of snacks and drinks at airports is at a substantial mark up versus high street trading. I feel robbed everytime I use them. Are you back working for FR btw? Thought you were with EZY now?
Or maybe MAG are just making the cost savings that BAA could have done years ago?
Any idiot can make "cost savings", cut charges and let Ryanair grow massively. However they're supposed to be making money as an airport business, the medium term prospects for enhanced profitability seem elusive to me. We shall see.

FRatSTN
17th Sep 2013, 17:50
Skipness One Echo

You have completely missed the point!

Um, that's how business works.

No it isn't! Not all businesses out there hack off customers through high charges to make hefty profits. Often in the most successful and most sustainable cases, we see businesses offering discounts and cost incentives to entice growth and make profit through the extra customers bought in by that (which is what MAG is doing at Stansted with Ryanair).

As I've said, it's not ideal for Ryanair to become increasingly dominant, but what else do you expect MAG to do? They are never going to increase profits by raising costs because airlines would be pulling more flights out, and other airlines just simply will not/cannot deliver the level of growth that Ryanair can at this stage.

The level of your business acumen is clear if you think WHS in Departures is good value.

Never did I say Smiths is good value, far from it. There's no need to go on about it being rip-off compared to high street branches, I think we all know how much we are ripped off inairports! The point is that it can still be cheaper than buying on Ryanair and why there is an incentive for people to buy in the airport. There's little business knowledge needed to see that, more a case of common sense.

Any idiot can make "cost savings", cut charges and let Ryanair grow massively.

Anybody except BAA of course, because they have that exact attitude of passing stupidly high costs onto airlines to make profit that you seem to see as the norm. It's that management that lead to why Stansted fell apart under their ownership. It couldn't be clearer to see that their management became a complete failure. That was no way to carry on!

But you know what? I don't really care about all the negativity and speculation of profits falling in light of this news. If that was ever an issue MAG would not have agreed this deal with them, it's that simple!!! I think it's a complete win-win situation for Ryanair, MAG and the 1.3 million extra passengers in 2014. I just hope that the sooner some people can brighten up and see that, the better!

lexoncd
17th Sep 2013, 22:01
For those that missed it part of the Ryanair MAG deal over stansted is that the one bag rule will be relaxed to encourage more spend at the airport.

LGS6753
18th Sep 2013, 10:09
The old business adage "Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity but cash is king" seems to apply here. MAG are chasing turnover, hoping that profits will accrue from higher revenue, once the high fixed costs of an airport operation are covered.

What they are doing is engaging in that most dangerous manoeuvre, marginal cost pricing. And they appear to have forgotten the basic rules of supply and demand.

Although Stansted is the least attractive of the London area airports due to its location, it is still a London airport, and slots at any London airport will become scarcer - and thus more valuable - as the economy picks up. They have offered Ryanair a deal that gives them lower costs with increasing throughput (ie the scarcer the resource, the cheaper it gets!).

They are so desperate for short-term income to service their massive borrowings that they are engaging in desperate measures. The FR deal, and the EZY one a few weeks ago, demonstrate the fear in the MAG boardroom that as a result of overpaying for STN they will soon have to face up to the taxpayers of the Manchester area who own their business, and are set to get less out of it than when they were just running their local, successful, airport at Ringway.

Cyrano
18th Sep 2013, 10:41
It's not religious, believing in your airport like a football team, it's a business.

Oh, I don't know, I see a niche ancillary revenue opportunity for airports here: sales of supporter scarves, woolly hats etc: "Stansted United", "Luton Airport 4ever", "Size isn't everything - LCY", etc.

They could advertise on PPRuNe and really nail the demographic. ;)

Buster the Bear
18th Sep 2013, 10:50
CAA defers regulation ruling on Stansted following Ryanair expansion deal - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/09/18/45310/caa-defers-regulation-ruling-on-stansted-following-ryanair-expansion.html?)

JonEMA
18th Sep 2013, 12:00
Spot on LGS......

The cynic in me wonders if this wasn't a plot hatched in Dublin a few years back...

All a bit too cozy I reckon....

racedo
18th Sep 2013, 12:17
The old business adage "Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity but cash is king" seems to apply here. MAG are chasing turnover, hoping that profits will accrue from higher revenue, once the high fixed costs of an airport operation are covered.

What they are doing is engaging in that most dangerous manoeuvre, marginal cost pricing. And they appear to have forgotten the basic rules of supply and demand.

Although Stansted is the least attractive of the London area airports due to its location, it is still a London airport, and slots at any London airport will become scarcer - and thus more valuable - as the economy picks up. They have offered Ryanair a deal that gives them lower costs with increasing throughput (ie the scarcer the resource, the cheaper it gets!).

They are so desperate for short-term income to service their massive borrowings that they are engaging in desperate measures. The FR deal, and the EZY one a few weeks ago, demonstrate the fear in the MAG boardroom that as a result of overpaying for STN they will soon have to face up to the taxpayers of the Manchester area who own their business, and are set to get less out of it than when they were just running their local, successful, airport at Ringway.

Think you need to take the blinders off.....

Success for most businesses is a combination of gaining new customers and expanding what you are selling to the existing ones.

There is pretty much little cost to Stansted in gaining an extra 50,000 passengers a week. Security still has to be paid for whether its 300,000 or 350,000 pax a week going through airport as has everything else. You may need some additional headcount here and there but very little...................no new car parks, no new trains, no new facilities.

Incentivising existing businesses to grow is easier and cheaper than investing vast sums in acquiring new customers who can never give you the same volume in a short timescale. You need new but existing do not have to invest in setting up a new operation and market their services as they already doing that anyway and existing less likely to take all business away at a stroke of pen.

The idea that signing a 10 year agreement is somewhat short term is laughable, frankly most service providers would snap the arm of a customer who agreed a 10 year deal because that in itself is bankable revenue.

As MAG have highlighted a clear strategy in investing in the airport, building passenger numbers and getting existing operators to sign long term contracts then I wonder what you would percieve as good management ?

In 6 months they have thrown out the old strategy and made progress lacking for so many years.

Same agruements were used when Gatwick was bought but amazingly now when you go to the airport it looks like it wishes to welcome people in, not drive them down a dingy corridor with an entrance unworthy of a train station.

BAALHR held back airports for years because it was LHR or nothing, thankfully that has ended.

FRatSTN
18th Sep 2013, 13:28
racedo

You are spot on! Unfortunately some people can never be satisfied, but we'll see how things change for the better in the years to come.

Thank goodness somebody can see round the logic of MAG's strategy, and thank you for explaining it perhaps more specifically than I did.

If anybody is interested to find out a little more about the £80m redevelopment, then please have a look through this link. It includes what MAG are going to be doing with a timeline of events up to early 2016:

http://www.stanstedairport.com/media/723977/website-copy-ttp-v2-210813.pdf

To me this looks great, very evolved around passenger experience rather than just increasing capacity. This only shows how MAG's strategy clearly differs to the failing BAA one!

davidjohnson6
18th Sep 2013, 13:50
While racedo has a point about the costs of running an airport being significantly weighted towards fixed rather than scaling per passenger and Stansted having the infrastructure in place to support plenty more passengers, I'm in some doubt as to whether a 10-year deal is perhaps *too* long term.

London is most unlikely to have an additional runway for another 10 years. While the economy has its good and bad years, if we assume an *average* growth in demand for air travel between now and 2023, at what point does demand for London airport capacity start to overtake supply ? Yes, I know that when runway capacity gets tight, airlines do things like upsizing aircraft from an A319 to an A321, and airports enlarge terminal capacity.

If it'll take a full 10 years for spare capacity to be used up, then MAG have likely done the right thing. If it'll take 5 years for current demand to mop up spare capacity and there are no break clauses in the contract allowing STN to raise their airport charges, then the deal is more in the airlines' favour.

hammerb32
18th Sep 2013, 14:15
The length of the deal could indeed be construed as long but in reality if MAG feel the deal is profitable then you cannot fault the logic on signing the deal as long as they can.

PPE
20th Sep 2013, 19:44
Stansted runway was closed earlier due to police incident! I believe it is now open however an aircraft is on the Hijack stand with lots of blue and twos!

STN Ramp Rat
20th Sep 2013, 20:30
a Srilankan A330 I believe

LTNman
20th Sep 2013, 20:38
Although Stansted is the least attractive of the London area airports due to its location, it is still a London airport

I would say that title actually goes to Southend-on-sea airport, but then some people would argue that Southend is not actually a London airport. Not sure I would support that argument but it might as well be on the moon if you need to get there by public transport for an early flight.

tws123
20th Sep 2013, 21:34
Although some may say its the most attractive according to the Which? survey.

mikkie4
25th Sep 2013, 20:09
Will an A320 be transfered from stansted to southend to do the TFS flights? or will it come from luton?

Tranceaddict
26th Sep 2013, 16:30
Will an A320 be transfered from stansted to southend to do the TFS flights? or will it come from luton?

Only one A320 based at STN, and that's busy every day, so doubt it will come there.

FRatSTN
26th Sep 2013, 23:19
Aegean will be back at Stansted again for a brief period over the Christmas hols. For that time they will serve Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted in London.

FRatSTN
27th Sep 2013, 12:01
Quite an interesting report from CAPA about the Ryanair deal at Stansted.

Ryanair?s new growth deal with London Stansted Airport: mutual love-in? | CAPA - Centre for Aviation (http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ryanairs-new-growth-deal-with-london-stansted-airport-mutual-love-in-130684)

Still some big questions to be answered, but the most interesting point for all those worried about how MAG are going to make profit is this:

"While lower fees will dilute Stansted’s aeronautical yield per passenger, the price elasticity of demand for air travel will stimulate passenger numbers as Ryanair will also lower its fares. In addition, Stansted will continue to receive the benefit of retail sales and its net retail income per passenger will be unaffected. This should mean that a cut in airport fees should lead to rising passenger numbers and increased revenues for Stansted. In a largely fixed cost business, and particularly one where incremental passenger handling costs are very low, this should drive higher profits for Stansted."

nigel osborne
27th Sep 2013, 13:19
Ok,

With lower fares, lower fees and mostly increase in LCCs etc how exactly is STN going to raise the funds for any 2nd runway ?

Not sure MAG will have enough profits, they are still paying off MAN 2nd runway .

Nigel

Skipness One Echo
27th Sep 2013, 14:07
The deal seems to make commercial sense for Stansted, although we cannot reach a definitive view on this without access to details of the agreement
Translation : We don't have the data we need for analysis but we're going to speculate regardless.

LGS6753
27th Sep 2013, 18:03
lower fees will dilute Stansted’s aeronautical yield per passenger,

Translation: Ryanair's charges will reduce, so if they don't increase passenger numbers, we're in deep sh1t.

Further translation: We're even more in Ryanair's clutches than we were before.

FRatSTN
27th Sep 2013, 20:35
LGS and Skipness.

So is that all you have to say? That's highly unusual. Please keep going, I want to hear more...

But on one condition...

Please add something much more concrete which you'll find I often do.

Please do us all a favour and try not to give us a compilation of your clever little remarks or this stupid routine LGS especially you have of picking bits from reports that give you the slightest opportunity to twist them. It simply demonstrates nothing but stupidity.

If that is all you have to contribute, it says a lot about the credibility of what you are saying!!

How about adding your own links to credible analytical sources and reports to back up what you're saying?? Oh no, sorry you can't, because they frankly don't exist.

M-JCS
28th Sep 2013, 07:31
On the face of it, the paragraph you refer to seems fairly positive for Stansted. The trouble is it's full of assumptions. What seems to be implied is that increasing numbers of passengers do not increase the wear and tear on the terminal and infrastructure (a "largely fixed cost business"). It's the old mass tourism problem revisited. Will the profit level from increased traffic meet the expenses of infrastructure maintenance and refurbishment?. There's also the assumption ("benefit of retail sales") that Ryanair passengers have the same financial power as those flying with other carriers and so will have the shopkeepers' delighted. Has that been proven elsewhere? My own suspicion is that retail margins will be lower because those products proving popular will in fact be lower margin products while higher margin products will eventually disappear from the shops. To me it seems like an exercise in chasing passenger numbers at every cost.

mikkie4
28th Sep 2013, 22:52
SEN are trying to get control of their airspace (2.5 miles radius ) How much higher will planes have to fly (if any) from STN/LCY

Expressflight
29th Sep 2013, 06:55
mikkie4

If you go the SEN website you will find a page entitled Controlled Airspace where there is a link to the consultation document. That will answer all your questions.

racedo
29th Sep 2013, 11:45
On the face of it, the paragraph you refer to seems fairly positive for Stansted. The trouble is it's full of assumptions. What seems to be implied is that increasing numbers of passengers do not increase the wear and tear on the terminal and infrastructure (a "largely fixed cost business"). It's the old mass tourism problem revisited. Will the profit level from increased traffic meet the expenses of infrastructure maintenance and refurbishment?. There's also the assumption ("benefit of retail sales") that Ryanair passengers have the same financial power as those flying with other carriers and so will have the shopkeepers' delighted. Has that been proven elsewhere? My own suspicion is that retail margins will be lower because those products proving popular will in fact be lower margin products while higher margin products will eventually disappear from the shops. To me it seems like an exercise in chasing passenger numbers at every cost.

Another attempt to try and claim that people flying Ryanair do not have any money.

Stansted KNOW what Ryanair passengers spend because they have 13 Million of them a year.

If as you claim that more passengers would be reducing high margin items then wouldn't they have already done so years ago :ugh:

Claims that it will cost the airport more in terms of wear and tear are pretty bogus because wear and tear happens anyway and instead of having 20 million in 18 months you have 20 million in 15 months..............little or no difference.

Infrastructure already in place with car parks, acccess, trains etc so instead of a Stansted express going with 150 passengers it has 250, no additional cost in the slightest.

davidjohnson6
6th Oct 2013, 14:49
I've been having a read of MAG's press releases and other PR as to how they will transform the facilities at Stansted. Sounds awfully nice and helpful, but given the money involved I have to assume it's simply a reorganisation of what is inside the main terminal building and not an expansion. On that basis, this means some areas will be shrunk down while others are enlarged.

Does anyone have good information as to what MAG's capital investment and terminal redesign plans *really* involve ? The relocation of security is of particular interest.
I'm interested in more than just "we're adding some extra toilets in a corridor".

FRatSTN
6th Oct 2013, 16:00
To be honest, Stansted doesn't need a lot of expansion, reorganisation of the terminal building is exactly what it needs.

If you ever fly from Stansted, you'll notice that the check-in concourse is really quite spacious now. Even at 5-6am at its busiest, its more than adequate. Ryanair has a lot of passengers who don't even use the check-in/bag-drop desks now so there's less of a need for check-in/bag drop desks than there used to be.

The Departure Lounge on the other hand is often quite busy and at 5-6am, seating can be tight. Security is probably the worst thing about Stansted, again at 5-6am, quite busy.

It is only common sense to make better use of the existing infrastructure to suit the needs of passengers. It's more than just adding a few more toilets and simply "moving" security.

Security will relocate but also increase from 18 to 22 lanes to improve passenger flow. Some other nice additions like a "calm zone" between Security and the Departure Lounge which is quite a unique idea. It allows passengers to re-gather belongings after security in a more relaxed and spacious manner.

More flight info screens and a countdown to gate number announcements is also part of it. That will have a great impact on all those Ryanair passengers crowding the screens waiting 10 minutes so they can be first to run to the gate!

The more major stuff is the doubled amount of seating in Departures, more shops and restaurants, a food court by 2016. All this offers better comfort, better choice and encouraging more spend from passengers. Just as well they have 1.3 million more passengers next year to help make that investment worth while!

It's a completely different investment from an expansion entirely. While Heathrow and Gatwick want to raise charges to airlines and passengers and just make their airports bigger through big infrastructural investments and claim that will increase the quality of their airport, MAG at Stansted have got right to the bottom of what really makes passengers more satisfied and investing in improvements, not expansion while keeping the place more affordable. That brings massive added value to the airport and potentially opens up huge opportunities.

Remember only £40m really is their own investment, another £40m funding is from commercial partners. That's a big investment, but it isn't massive! It has the potential to help Stansted stand out from Heathrow and Gatwick as a better and more customer friendly airport. It really does demonstrate how competition works and how each airport competes in their own way now the BAA monopoly has been broken up.

FRatSTN
15th Oct 2013, 00:01
It has been revealed that Pakistani carrier Airblue will start flights from Stansted to Lahore from next year.

MAG are reportedly holding detailed talks with several other airlines and has said one is close to announcing another route for next year as well.

MAG chief puts focus on two-runway future for Stansted - FT.com (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2b7ffcaa-34b7-11e3-8148-00144feab7de.html#axzz2hk7KhTIM)

Keyvon
15th Oct 2013, 11:10
I wouldn't put my money on it since Airblue is rumoured to be on the brink of collapse.

TSR2
15th Oct 2013, 12:12
I wouldn't put my money on it since Airblue is rumoured to be on the brink of collapse.

What is your source of information on this potentially damaging rumour ?

GroundControl1
17th Oct 2013, 20:47
Is it true Pegasus Airlines are pulling out of Stansted?? I have flights booked for early next year :uhoh:

Boeing737-8
17th Oct 2013, 21:04
I heard that they could be moving to luton around April time

nt639
17th Oct 2013, 21:30
Sounds like a "Spotters Rumour" B737 , flights are bookable from STN right through next summer:ok:

True Blue
17th Oct 2013, 21:42
proves nothing. can be changed in an instant.

tb

Buster the Bear
17th Oct 2013, 21:50
Did MAG also purchase all the land and housing that the BAA has been buying up over the last 20 years or so to facilitate runway 2? I am sure I read the BAA flogged it of in a separate deal?

An ex colleague held out selling his cottage somewhere close (near where the KAL jumbo dived into a lake) until he retired. Got a handsome cheque to go into his retirement kitty, BAA then rented it out pending demolision.

sxflyer
18th Oct 2013, 07:56
If Pegasus do move to Luton at least it would end the Luton fans argument that El Al would never move back to STN because the Jewish population is nearer Luton, as STN is the best airport for the Turkish contingent.

I'm not convinced personally, but you never know

LGS6753
18th Oct 2013, 13:02
Pegasus could benefit from a transfer to Luton. Aside from a bigger catchment area and better surface access, their current flight schedule would not conflict with Luton's busy periods, where capacity is limited.
No doubt LTN would offer an introductory deal to a new airline too.
It seems that the EZY flight to SAW is not bookable after March 2014, so there could be a ready-made market for them too, if EZY are in fact dropping the route.

Boeing737-8
18th Oct 2013, 14:28
Would benefit a move to luton cheaper cost,nearer to London and better transport to it and no other airline in the market with easyjet dropping it in march

rocket_dog
18th Oct 2013, 18:04
Is it true Pegasus Airlines are pulling out of Stansted??

They are definitely staying as they have slots confirmed for next years summer schedule. What I have heard through the grape vine is that they will be handled by Swissport instead of Menzies.

But then I came across this...

http://www.scotsman.com/business/menzies-stalking-swissport-1-576411

Tranceaddict
19th Oct 2013, 09:40
But then I came across this...

Menzies stalking Swissport - The Scotsman (http://www.scotsman.com/business/menzies-stalking-swissport-1-576411)

Published on the 18 September 2001 :ugh:

Boeing737-8
20th Oct 2013, 18:46
It seems they might be moving to luton now as on the website not book able

IrishFlyer2013
20th Oct 2013, 18:54
Flights from STN - ADB & SAW are still bootable on the Pegasus Airlines website. I've just tried to make a booking for April 2014.

Boeing737-8
20th Oct 2013, 19:00
I mean stansted own website as Pegasus will transfer them to luton

LAX_LHR
20th Oct 2013, 19:05
Could be an issue on STN website as the flights on Pegasus site, you know, the actual airline in question, are still bookable after March.

Yes a move could be possible but lets not count your chickens yet.

IrishFlyer2013
20th Oct 2013, 19:17
All flights from STN seem book able after March. I've just looked on the Pegasus Airlines website.

FRatSTN
20th Oct 2013, 19:19
Pegasus flights are still bookable from Stansted on their own website and the Stansted website as well. No results on the Luton website and nothing mentioning Luton on the Pegasus website.

Somebody has put Pegasus on the Luton Wikipedia page but with no links or references to support it. The fact that whoever it is has put Ankara as a destination as well makes it seem even more questionable. Unless of course this relates to somebody who has seen this on here and decided to change it on Wikipedia anyway.

I'm not saying it won't happen. It wouldn't be the first airline to leave Stansted and move elsewhere but could I ask Boeing737-8 where you have heard about this??

Boeing737-8
20th Oct 2013, 19:33
Luton thread

FRatSTN
20th Oct 2013, 19:38
Ok, timetable on Stansted website shows flights up until 13 April 2014, but flight bookings can be made through the whole of summer 2014 on both Stansted and Pegasus websites.

And did you really just say that the place where you have first heard about this is the "Luton thread" :eek:

Means nothing, I'll ask again. Where did you hear about Pegasus moving from Stansted to Luton???

pamann
20th Oct 2013, 20:05
Remember when MAG took over London's third airport and there were rumours of Wizz getting a poaching from London's fourth? Nothing happened.

Pegasus moving to Luton? Clutching at straws if you ask me.

Oh hang on... Wikipedia is FACT! :rolleyes:

racedo
20th Oct 2013, 20:18
Remember when MAG took over London's third airport and there were rumours of Wizz getting a poaching from London's fourth? Nothing happened.

....................................Yet.

davidjohnson6
20th Oct 2013, 20:50
Looks like hostilities in the ongoing Luton v Stansted war are about to break out again - flak jackets on everyone...
:hmm:

FRatSTN
23rd Oct 2013, 13:28
From 1st November ALL passengers (including Ryanair) will be allowed to carry one shopping bag alongside their cabin bag at Stansted.

Stansted: Shops and restaurants at Stansted Airport (http://www.stanstedairport.com/shopping-and-eating)

Also, a quick video showing the progress of the £80m redevelopment. The new Check-in area is already complete, ready for the new Security area which will open within months, possibly as early as December.

Stansted Airport terminal transformation project update - YouTube

Also, Airblue who is reported to be starting a service next year to Lahore has an ad image for London on their home page. It's nothing major. It just simply says "London" on a very nice picture of Westminster at dusk.

Unless they are being naughty as implying Birmingham or Manchester as an entry to London then maybe we might hear something fairly soon.

: : : airblue : : : (http://www.airblue.com/)
(you'll need to wait for the images to change until it comes up)

GroundControl1
1st Nov 2013, 22:30
Rumour has it TCX are talking with Menzies for a new nationwide contract as they are not happy with the service they are receiving from Swissport at UK stations. Looks like Menzies are going to be busy with 2 x a321 at STN!!

LTNman
1st Nov 2013, 22:47
Unless they are being naughty as implying Birmingham or Manchester as an entry to London then maybe we might hear something fairly soon.

That they are not coming to Stansted but are going to one if its rivals:oh::oh::oh:

Boeing737-8
1st Nov 2013, 23:20
Any news on Pegasus will they be staying at stansted or moving to luton

Navpi
3rd Nov 2013, 17:33
Local MP well behind Airport Expansion.....

Stansted's MP calls for aviation expansion in Manchester | Uttlesford village headlines (http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/News/Uttlesford/Stansteds-MP-calls-for-aviation-expansion-in-Manchester-20131031153039.htm)

...at Manchester !

You could not make this up....:ugh:

VickersVicount
3rd Nov 2013, 18:44
That they are not coming to Stansted but are going to one if its rivals
Didnt think GLA was a Stansted rival !

787luton
3rd Nov 2013, 19:42
Has anybody heard anymore about the Pegasus move, will they be coming to LTN or staying at stansted?:confused:

Skipness One Echo
3rd Nov 2013, 20:22
Any news on Pegasus will they be staying at stansted or moving to luton
Has anybody heard anymore about the Pegasus move, will they be coming to LTN or staying at stansted?
Not since yesterday, no. It's getting terribly "local" in here again....
Air Blue would actually be a good fit for either airport, it'll depend on who offers the better deal, though it might be just as likely to be Blue Air and crossed wires :)

787luton
3rd Nov 2013, 20:27
I agree skipness one echo, hopefully things will go down without too much of a problem, I want luton to get both obviously:):ok:

sxflyer
3rd Nov 2013, 20:37
Of course, in response to any LTN fanboys the following is equally applicable:

When are EZY moving Montpellier, Hamburg, Aberdeen, Zurich, Tel Aviv, Keflavik from STN to LTN along with a couple of based units to satisfy the new deal with MAG?

When are FR moving over Trapani, Beziers and Nimes?

When are Blue Air coming back?

When are Wizz accepting an offer they can't refuse from MAG?

Etc etc

It works both ways, and it's quite pathetic actually. I don't think there are supporters of any airports other than LTN on these boards that act the same way.

Boeing737-8
3rd Nov 2013, 20:41
You being a fan of stansted as you come from Essex will mean you want more airlines for you airport as does 787 luton but air blue would be better for luton compared to stansted. All stansted fans can dream of wizz but NEVER going to happened, at luton there make most of there money and what else can MAG offer them half the cost no way.

787luton
3rd Nov 2013, 20:43
Well said BOEING 737-8, it's quite pathetic what jealousy cause actually:ugh:

787luton
3rd Nov 2013, 20:44
Jealousy that we got your EZY flights, as you pointed out in your response!:D

sxflyer
3rd Nov 2013, 21:52
I'm not a 'fan' of anywhere, these are businesses and people's jobs we discuss on here, not football teams. It's nothing to do with wanting more airlines for 'my' airport, I'm pointing out that when you fantasise and start fictitious rumours, a. it's people's livelihoods at stake and b. unless 'your' airport is LHR or to a lesser extent LCY absolutely any airline or route operating in the UK is a target for a competitor no matter how secure you perceive it, so you are in no position to gloat.

I do think 787luton and 737-8 are the same person. Probably best to refrain from feeding the troll.

nt639
3rd Nov 2013, 22:25
Luton Spotters! try reading this article in which MAG CEO confirmed Air Blue to commence STN next year

Stansted boss sets out vision for two runways - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/2013/10/15/45635/stansted+boss+sets+out+vision+for+two+runways.html)

pamann
4th Nov 2013, 02:46
Routes News - Pegasus Airlines expands UK-Turkey network (http://www.routes-news.com/news/1-news/2045-pegasus-airlines-expands-uk-turkey-network)

I think we can quash the 'Pegasus moving to Luton' rumour with the above announcement of new routes for Pegasus from Stansted announced 6 days ago. These rumours are purely 'rumours' started by a few Luton fans on pprune who are clutching at straws with no firm facts. It's all getting a bit childish, boring and really going around in circles now for years. If you can't behave like adults on this forum by constantly popping up on the Stansted thread and trying to make out that your own conceived 'pipe dreams' are about to come true, then please just do one and let the rest of us use this forum for what it's for so we no longer have to read pages and pages of your drivel.

Thank you.

Now back on thread :ok:

LTNman
4th Nov 2013, 05:01
pamann

I tend to agree with all of your comments. The quality of some of the recent Luton posts are indeed suspect which undermines the whole thread. There is then spillage here as contributors go on fishing trips. Less posts on wish lists rather than quality rumours would be welcome on both threads I would imagine.

LGS6753
4th Nov 2013, 11:21
Looking at the above announcement about Pegasus, I wonder if they are being a little optimistic.
Edremit is on the Aegean coast, between Istanbul and Izmir and as such is likely to attract tourist traffic. As far as I am aware, this area is not served from elsewhere in the UK.
However, both Erzurum and Mardin are provincial capitals in the east of the country, where tourism will be limited, and local poverty will limit the number of Turkey-originating passengers.

I wonder if these flights are planned to be direct, or whether they will be extensions to the existing STN-SAW route. This approach allows places such as Ercan (N. Cyprus) to be 'served' from the UK although the aircraft stops in SAW en route.

I think I would be surprised if Pegasus were announcing an additional 14 flights per week to STN.

Skipness One Echo
4th Nov 2013, 12:40
Well said BOEING 737-8, it's quite pathetic what jealousy cause actually
Boeing737-8 = 787luton
You're one and the same surely?

jdcg
4th Nov 2013, 12:42
Tend to agree although Mardin has a large Kurdish community with many family members in my part of NE London so a market, as such, exists.

787luton
4th Nov 2013, 19:36
We aren't the same and have never even met, we just both agree about a point that you disagree on. Each to their own as they say.

787luton
4th Nov 2013, 19:39
To add to that, do you really think that I have time to make two accounts and then reply to each other?:rolleyes:

FRatSTN
4th Nov 2013, 20:35
If you have time to add 30 odd posts in only your first few days then probably. It all looks very fishy to me :suspect:

pamann
5th Nov 2013, 02:37
The fact that you've changed your location to 'Tea green golf club' from 'Luton' doesn't help your defence. Maybe an issue for the MOD's to look into if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about?! ;)

787luton
5th Nov 2013, 06:23
Tea green golf club is in luton, it is my local golf club, I have met Boeing 737-8 once (correction) at a football match and he has been on here for 3 months now. If I wanted 2 accounts, surely i would have started them at the same time?:confused:

southside bobby
13th Nov 2013, 12:03
Another feather in MAG`s cap...Atlantic Airways recommences twice weekly Stansted-Faroe Islands service commencing June 5 2014 days 1.4..Service flying again from Stansted rather than Gatwick as it did this year & last.:DRegards,The Southside.

FRatSTN
13th Nov 2013, 12:38
Great news! Every little helps!

whitelighter
13th Nov 2013, 18:30
Wonder what theyll be flying.

I think they sold their last Electra to Buffalo

pamann
13th Nov 2013, 20:14
Wonder what theyll be flying.

RJ100 or maybe the A319.

So with Air Moldova and Atlantic Airways poached back, who's next on MAG's hit list? Aegean is back during peak season (Summer/Christmas). Maybe they'll relocate the LGW services to Stansted full time?

Air Arabia Maroc, Air Baltic, Air Europa, Air Serbia, Meridiana? All possibilities perhaps?

FRatSTN
13th Nov 2013, 21:32
I'd like to hope Blue Air. They don't really bring much to Luton. I think they'd be more valued back at Stansted.

Wizz will operate up to 3 departures a day to Bucharest from Luton, hardly compares to Blue Air's 5 per week or whatever it is.

Gatwick has to be the big focus for attracting airlines to switch airports. Possibly could be a number of other airlines there where a move to Stansted shouldn't be ruled out.

LAX_LHR
13th Nov 2013, 21:37
Id say any operator of small jets into LGW is ripe to be taken thanks to the charges. Flybe have cut and run (Dash-8 and E jets), air Moldova (E jets) and Atlantic Airlines (Avro jet) have moved, so, is there anyone else?

Boeing737-8
13th Nov 2013, 21:54
You are not missing much with blue air horrible night flights and not even their planes sometimes. With Wizz increasing this could be possible but no way would Wizz ever move in the next 5 years to Stansted as more routes and frequencies are announced at Luton

pamann
13th Nov 2013, 22:04
No one mentioned Wizz moving did they? (Not that old chestnut)

Boeing737-8 you have a lot to learn about the aviation business: Never say never :ok:

Tranceaddict
14th Nov 2013, 16:59
I think they sold their last Electra to Buffalo

Did you get Atlantic Airways (http://www.atlantic.fo/en) muddled with Atlantic Airlines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Airlines_(United_Kingdom)) who are now part of West Atlantic (http://www.westatlantic.eu/)?

Aero Mad
14th Nov 2013, 17:42
Id say any operator of small jets into LGW is ripe to be taken thanks to the charges. Flybe have cut and run (Dash-8 and E jets), air Moldova (E jets) and Atlantic Airlines (Avro jet) have moved, so, is there anyone else?

Aurigny currently uses AT7s on 6x daily flights between LGW and GCI. As of 31 March 2014 they will use an E95 (leased until June) on five of the six and an AT7 on the other. Fees will still be exorbitant despite the equipment upgrade.

But they treasure their Gatwick route more than anything - though perhaps in a few years there might be a refocussing of London services to provide each airport with 3x daily, thus spreading the cost?

rocket_dog
16th Nov 2013, 11:48
Saw Monarch looking over the building work in the terminal at stansted yesterday and the operation around satellites...

sat1
16th Nov 2013, 11:57
Seen by a lot of people wandering around with swissport management,this would certainly explain why swissport are investing in so much new equipment.

whitelighter
16th Nov 2013, 14:33
Did you get Atlantic Airways muddled with Atlantic Airlines who are now part of West Atlantic?

Ah yes. I probably did

sxflyer
16th Nov 2013, 14:39
An interesting one but I'm not really sure what they bring to the table. Is this instead of LGW/LTN? In addition to them?

They would have FR to directly contend with on most of their core bucket and spade routes, most city routes are already covered which contrasts with the situation at LTN, and they don't really do long haul anymore. All it really leaves are a few Turkish and North African routes EZY/FR could do if they really wanted to.

TOWTEAMBASE
17th Nov 2013, 08:34
I wouldn't get too excited about Atlantic, I seem to remember that their schedule was sketchy to say the least. Flights were scheduled but more often than not got cancelled or ran horrendously late. I've not heard the Saturday night transaero lately, is it still around ?

Boeing737-8
21st Nov 2013, 14:25
Eleven more airports, including Luton and Stansted, to use full-body scanners | World news | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/21/airports-full-body-scanners-stansted-luton-liverpool)

j636
21st Nov 2013, 14:58
Can't copy link as on phone but fr announce 12 routes for summer 14 and increased freq on other.

fivejuliet
21st Nov 2013, 15:16
New routes to Basel, Bordeaux, Brive, Bucharest, Comiso, Dortmund, Lisbon, Osijek, Podgorica, Prague, Rabat & Skelleftea

davidjohnson6
21st Nov 2013, 15:30
I thought Bordeaux, Comiso, Dortmund, Lisbon and Rabat had already been announced some weeks/months ago... but I suppose things work differently in the Ryanair world...

Skelleftea is interesting - is it marketing support, or some other reason ?

FRatSTN
21st Nov 2013, 16:10
I think it means 12 new routes in total for Summer 2014 that didn't operate in Summer 2013.

I'm surprised they haven't added Minorca or another Greek airport such as Kalamata or Zante. They seem clear choices to me. I guess there's still time.

whitelighter
21st Nov 2013, 20:20
I suppose they have to do something with extra 7 base aircraft next summer.

Next winter will be interesting as they say they will fly all 47 rather than parking 20.

davidjohnson6
25th Nov 2013, 09:29
Seems that Belle Air won't be flying to Stansted any more

Source - Belle Air (http://www.belleair.eu/)

whitelighter
25th Nov 2013, 13:21
Where did you hear that?

Keyvon
25th Nov 2013, 13:27
BelleAir Albania went bust last night.

sxflyer
25th Nov 2013, 13:36
I did hear though that Belavia might be moving north from LGW next year. I gather they use E-jets nowadays, so perhaps with the high charges there is something in this

whitelighter
25th Nov 2013, 14:13
That'll do it

pamann
26th Nov 2013, 20:25
Loads of new routes have appeared on the Stansted Wiki page. Now I know it's not always fact is Wiki, but anyone know any truth in it?

Alicante - From 15 September 2014
Athens - From 22 September 2014
Belgrade - From 16 September 2014
Casablanca - From 17 September 2014
Gibraltar - From 16 September 2014
Helsinki - From 15 September 2014
Larnaca - From 17 September 2014
Milan Linate - From 15 September 2014
Newcastle - From 22 September 2014
Paris CDG - From 22 September 2014
Rome FCO - From 29 September 2014
Toulouse - From 15 September 2014
Vienna - From 24 September 2014

This is fantastic news if true! :ok:

racedo
26th Nov 2013, 20:39
Loads of new routes have appeared on the Stansted Wiki page. Now I know it's not always fact is Wiki, but anyone know any truth in it?

Always believe a route is running after first landing.

davidjohnson6
26th Nov 2013, 20:39
The entries on wikipedia were added by someone who was not logged in to wikipedia and gave only an IP address. The IP address is registered to an Internet provider based in the UK. Until today, the IP address in question had never made any other edits to wikipedia, so cannot assess them based on their past actions.

Either it's a wiki-vandal, or it's someone who wants to leak without being identified.

racedo
26th Nov 2013, 20:53
Either it's a wiki-vandal, or it's someone who wants to leak without being identified.

Interesting

sxflyer
26th Nov 2013, 20:57
Apart from the timing (end of the peak summer season) they are all quite plausible routes, but I guess that also cannot discount a fake entry by a dreamer ie picking a bunch of routes that aren't currently served

pamann
26th Nov 2013, 21:02
Maybe an announcement is imminent . It would tie in nicely with the promised increase from EasyJet. I guess now we just have to sit back and wait.

wowzz
27th Nov 2013, 13:02
If true it's strange that ALC is in the list, as the route has only recently been moved to SEN. Would load factors support flights from both SEN and STN?

sxflyer
27th Nov 2013, 15:43
I think it's a slight misconception that ALC 'moved' to SEN, as SEN operated before STN ceased. I think it was more to do with EZY removing based units, and the casualties included routes where there was direct competition with FR.

Nowadays aside from the blossoming relationship with MAG EZY seem more up for the fight with FR. So if this is true, the inclusion of ALC doesn't surprise me, more the end of summer start.

NCL is an interesting inclusion to the list given that NCL-LGW is also being launched

NickBarnes
27th Nov 2013, 16:49
All removed of the page now

FRatSTN
27th Nov 2013, 17:04
Certain aspects of all this make it seem as if it could be true.

Needless to say the deal with MAG certainly helps to make this more likely to be true.

The choice of routes seem realistic on the whole (although I'd doubt Newcastle).

Funnily enough, the start dates seem convincing. EZY do not get any new aircraft until 2015 I believe. So after the peak July/August period, some bases may lose an aircraft or two allowing EZY to allocate them to Stansted from September.

Also, no EZY services are currently on sale after 14th September 2014 at all, so if true this could maybe be announced when flights after Sept 14 are released for sale.

Having said all this, my guess would be that somebody is just fooling around on Wikipedia and that none of this is true, although I'd love to be proven wrong. Almost seems too good to be true!

j636
27th Nov 2013, 17:54
I smell a lot of bullsh*t with EZY growth at STN, those routes won't happen.

For a start they have left Helsinki and why would they open routes to places like Rome/Milan with FR already operate 3 or 4 daily flights.

It's Gatwick and Luton for the main business market and the likes of Southend for holiday flights.

Jack1985
27th Nov 2013, 18:08
Since when has wikipedia carried any reliability? It's an open website which any moron can edit with fanciful ideas! :ugh:

racedo
27th Nov 2013, 19:23
Since when has wikipedia carried any reliability? It's an open website which any moron can edit with fanciful ideas! :ugh:

Not really fair......................oh wait its accurate.

pamann
27th Nov 2013, 20:19
In all honesty, who can say? Until it's in (official) black and white, we will just have to wait and see what the MAG/Easy promise brings. Who ever put it on there, it was a (generally) good choice of destinations and looked pretty plausible. Wiki is controlled by the public, so it's also worth bearing in mind that as easy as it is to apply changes to Wiki by adding content, one can also delete content just as easy too. For instance I could go on there now and cancel BA's LHR-JFK route as of XX/XX/13 and cause a whole load of conversation. Though I think less, if any would be inclined to believe it.

It's just a waiting game... How long a wait we will just have to wait and see.

NickBarnes
27th Nov 2013, 20:47
Yes some fit well, but ones like Helsinki which easyjet pulled out off completely seems very unlikely they will go back again, so I feel that it's no true, but as said lets wait and see what happens

Chopper69
28th Nov 2013, 17:39
The big problem for STN is that it causes traffic dilution between LGW (much higher yield) and LTN (HO and a good North London catchment area). Before the 'GO' merger (takeover!), 'GO' were approached by LTN Airport Authority and were offered a very good deal to operate there because they were at the time, sick of Stelios. The numbers were crunched and of course, traffic dilution was a big factor, hence the decision to open a base at EMA which doesn't dilute STN, but does dilute LTN. SEN could prove to be a bit of a master stroke, it's customer friendly, in a way that STN used to be on the Northside and as long as EZY keep the routes simple, the whole of the East End will turn up! My Daughter pressed the 'S' button when she came back from AMS at the very start of the EZY operation, she wanted STN, not SEN! so I went and picked her up, a very pleasing experience, car parking right outside the Terminal, etc. This was a Sat morning and I thought 20, maybe 30 people on the flight, it was full!

FRatSTN
29th Nov 2013, 17:31
In addition to the short period over the Christmas Hols, Aegean will be making what appears to be a more regular/permanent service from Stansted to Athens.

The service restarts from 30th May 2014 and is on sale right up until October 2014. It operates twice a week on Friday's and Sunday's.

From 30th June until 10th September 2014, it will increase to 4x weekly with the addition of Monday and Wednesday service.

The route will be operated by an A320 Aircraft.

The only bad thing in my opinion is that all flights depart from Stansted at 23:00, arriving in Athens at 04:30 the following morning.

Flights from Athens leave at 20:15, arriving in Stansted at 22:15 local time.

Anyhow, still more good news!!

Jack1985
29th Nov 2013, 21:08
The only bad thing in my opinion is that all flights depart from Stansted at 23:00, arriving in Athens at 04:30 the following morning.

Flights from Athens leave at 20:15, arriving in Stansted at 22:15 local time.

Lot's of Greek connections with those times though! You can probably connect to all the Greek Islands as well as Thessaloniki I'd imagine?

LadyL2013
30th Nov 2013, 08:27
I'm surprised there haven't been more flights to Greece from STN and LTN tbh. There is a big Greek community in North London and a lot of them complain about a lack of options to getting back home or the rubbish flight times meaning they miss connecting flights and ferries.

pamann
30th Nov 2013, 08:42
Aegean were operating upto 2/3 return flights a day before they 'upped sticks' and relocated their operations to LHR. It's good to see them back even though it's much reduced in comparison to a few years ago. :ok:

Could Air Europa with their Embraer LGW-MAD service be tempted to relocate due to the upping of charges at LGW?

FRatSTN
30th Nov 2013, 10:22
Somebody mentioned Belavia moving from LGW. That could be a strong possibility as they sometimes use the Embraer 175.

With quite possibly 1.5 million extra passengers in 2014, Stansted should be back up to about 19 mppa (more than the 2010 levels).

Luton should definitely be well into 10 million by 2014 and is likely to be their best ever year so far. Quite a bit of an increase from Monarch and Wizz in particular as well as the couple of new operators they've had.

It's great to see both airports potentially doing extremely well next year. So far it's looking like Stansted and Luton could be the UK's fastest growing airports in 2014.

adfly
30th Nov 2013, 17:56
Air Europa's LGW-MAD is mostly on 738's now, plus is does very well for connections to Central/South America. But I could possibly see Belavia moving northwards.

davidjohnson6
30th Nov 2013, 18:17
Have been to Minsk only once and that was 10 years ago as a tourist

Does anyone have any knowledge of the UK-Belarus air market given the current Belarus political system, the reciprocal visa regime and the relative dearth of major mainstream tourist sites in Belarus ?
I'd like to understand what motives Belavia might have for Gatwick, Luton or Stansted besides airport charges and perceived airport prestige.

LAX_LHR
30th Nov 2013, 18:27
Does anyone have any knowledge of the UK-Belarus air market given the current Belarus political system, the reciprocal visa regime and the relative dearth of major mainstream tourist sites in Belarus ?

Certainly not a mainstream destination. All you can get from the UK is either 3 weekly E175/737 from LGW or 1 weekly B737 from MAN. I would also hazard a guess there are more inbound than outbound passengers.

rutankrd
30th Nov 2013, 22:05
The short summer weekly Manchester service has/had a contract bringing Chernobil victims for rest-bite care and medical attention to the North West - Primarily the Christy Cancer Foundation.

Belorussians are subject to similar VISA restrictions as other CIS nations including Russia.

The nation politically remains pretty much a traditional soviet state controlled by a Politburo and family mafia.

Beyond Minsk Belavia offer very competitive prices and easy connections into the Caucuses and especially the gas fields around the Caspian Sea

rutankrd
30th Nov 2013, 22:32
The short summer weekly Manchester service has/had a contract bringing Chernobil victims for rest-bite care and medical attention in the North West - Primarily the Christy Cancer Foundation.

Belorussians are subject to similar VISA restrictions as other CIS nations including Russia.

The nation politically remains pretty much a traditional soviet state controlled by a Politburo and family mafia.

Beyond Minsk Belavia offer very competitive prices and easy connections into the Caucuses and especially the gas fields around the Caspian Sea

STN Ramp Rat
1st Dec 2013, 05:33
I don't see Belavia moving, As has been pointed out they are very conservative and they don't change unless they have to. LGW works for them and therefore there is no reason to move.

Tranceaddict
2nd Dec 2013, 15:22
As per title

BBC News - Stop Stansted Expansion delay bid fails in High Court (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-25185273)

whitelighter
2nd Dec 2013, 17:13
Good.

Though I suspect this is far from the last time we will see anti-airport expansion protests around all London sites.

SSE seem to be well funded at least - as if not I wonder who is going to foot the £10,000 legal bill

Bagso
2nd Dec 2013, 19:48
I'm struggling to see what expansion they are trying to stop ?

Based on LGW figures STN could easily handle 30M pax a year
(assuming that is the airspace can take the strain)

BUT are we really suggesting RYR could actually put anything like that amount of traffic through the place ?

whitelighter
2nd Dec 2013, 20:51
SSE are trying to stop just about anything.

The latest attempt was to delay the whole London airports expansion on the basis a single consultant used to be employed by MAG

They are a typical nimby group who all moved into the area knowing there was an airport there yet want it to just go away

mikkie4
3rd Dec 2013, 00:28
The locals around stansted are only to pleased to accept the handouts that the airport gives to the local community.if the airport didn,t give this money they would be alot worse off

Tranceaddict
8th Dec 2013, 08:28
Stansted Airports new security search area receives its first passengers - News - Ipswich Star (http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/stansted_airport_s_new_security_search_area_receives_its_fir st_passengers_1_3085093)

davidjohnson6
22nd Dec 2013, 18:32
Have Ryanair closed the summer seasonal route to Dole in eastern France, or is it just taking a very long time for schedules to appear ?

Suzeman
24th Dec 2013, 08:03
Interesting...

This could run and run....

Stansted owner 'to challenge Airports Commission figures' - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/12/23/46455/stansted-owner-to-challenge-aiports-commission-figures.html)