View Full Version : STANSTED - 2

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

daz211
10th Oct 2008, 19:24
You need help and or medication.

Sour grapes, perhaps, try definatly.

eidah
10th Oct 2008, 20:18
As the cost of fuel is now well below 90$ a barrel, the LC airlines maybe tempted to increase their winter schedules

However many airlines have already hedged there fuel.Last press release I saw Ryanair had hedged 3/4 for the financial year 2008/2009

Also Ryanair have been openly critical about the landing fees.

Buster the Bear
17th Oct 2008, 14:55
I think that this explains more fully what a runway is used for;

Runway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runway)

MurphSRFC
18th Oct 2008, 16:44
50 minutes to change flights in Stansted - can it be done? With hand luggage and online check in I reckon so.

details
DUB-STN 6.30 - 7.45
STN-VLC 8.35 - 12.00

Skipness One Echo
18th Oct 2008, 17:38
BEWARE you will have to exit through International Arrivals and then re-enter the lounge going through security again. There is no Flight Connections facility at Stansted. Personally I wouldn't risk it unless I was happy to pay for a ticket on the next flight if I was delayed at all. Good luck.

daz211
18th Oct 2008, 21:17
No, No, No :eek:.

It can take you 10min + to exit the aircraft alone.
Dont risk it mate, what am I talking about risk, it cant be done.

BusBoy
18th Oct 2008, 23:44
Skipness, should be totally possible.... but is not!!
no way you will do it, sorry!!

Shed-on-a-Pole
19th Oct 2008, 20:25
Be careful. Ryanair flights often arrive earlier than scheduled, yes. But they also often DEPART earlier than scheduled as well! This is why check-in closes 40 minutes before STD. If the aeroplane is ready and not restricted by an ATC slot, it will go early.

Good luck.

jack_essex
20th Oct 2008, 09:22
I have flown to Dublin a couple of times on the 08.10, which is the 07.45 inbound. Although I have only flown this service twice both times it was about 25 mins late. This was put down to congestion leaving Dublin. I would be very careful because if you check in online for your flight and then miss the VLC then you will have to buy a brand new ticket for the next 'available' flight. Ryanair won't be held responsible as they do not offer connecting flights and say not to do so. Good luck if you go for this!

Departures Beckham
20th Oct 2008, 15:07
it doesn't take 1.15 to fly DUB-STN.

It's probably something similar to:

Taxi-out time: 10 minutes
Flight time: 55 minutes
Taxi-in time: 5 minutes

Which leaves five minutes for variations on the day.

Stanstedeye
24th Oct 2008, 17:45
Extra flights today

194 from Glasgow at 14.58pm for ?
100 from Humberside at 19.29 for 19.55 to TFS
392 (STN based scheduled) 22-00 for Dalaman

belfastmark
24th Oct 2008, 19:52
if i arrive on a flight from belfast and park up at gate 80 something which i have done everytime i have flown this route, and have a connection... when i walk towards the exit and instead of turning right to actually exsit can i turn right and just go back into the depatures area instead of having to queue up at security again as i will already be screened to the standards within the UK or something simlar to that!!!!!? Its just i have a VERY tight connection or a 7 hour wait so im trying to make the ealier flight and if i dont make it i still have the later one booked! anyone able to help me!!!??

thanks! :)

airhumberside
24th Oct 2008, 21:03
100 from Humberside at 19.29 for 19.55 to TFS
Ended up coming direct from TFS I believe. TCX were doing LTE's HUY-TFS today (and before that Futura's) - the outbound was delayed and it looks like they rerouted pax coming back home through other airports to get the plane back to STN on time for tonights flight

Skipness One Echo
25th Oct 2008, 13:20
I asked this question before too and there is no definitive answer. There is a BAA plod at a desk at the end of the bridge into the main terminal to prevent people reclaiming baggage and then wandering back up to the lounge. They seem to be very inconsistent about the procedures in place. Phone the Info Desk and ask to have it sent out in writing because I suspect you will be challenged by a very bored jobsworth looking for a reason to say no. Sorry if that sounds negative but that's been my experience.

belfastmark
25th Oct 2008, 18:28
thanks for your reply!!!! ill ring them its a good idea! trust me i know what you mean about the negtaive thing!!!!!!!!!! :L meet sooo many jobs worth people in airports!!!

thanks for your reply!!! :D:D:D:D

FEROMAN
27th Oct 2008, 20:44
There is currently no way you can officially access the Terminal Departure lounge after arriving on a Domestic flight without first returning landside in the terminal and then coming back through security unless you have hand luggage only and a valid (not Internet check-in) boarding card for your onward flight. And you won't have one of those unless you've first cleared the domestic reclaim and then been to check-in.

This is because although you have the correct security clearance as you have said, the security officer at the end of the lounge tunnel cannot verify your boarding card for your "return" to the lounge and therefore have no process for doing so. They do not have a bar code reader for the Internet check-in printouts otherwise that could be acceptable, but still with a risk of the bar code not working and you having to return to check-in anyway. If the demand was there I guess BAA might put in a bar code reader on that desk, but that's unlikely given the current downturn in traffic.

You'd never be able to plan this, but if you somehow knew your onward flight was actually departing from a Domestic lounge gate then you could always stay in there if you had an Internet Boarding Card to get on your next flight.

tommy212
1st Nov 2008, 16:44
Has anyone heard any news on this airline starting services into Stansted? Accroding to their website their first flight from STN is to DXB on 1st dec?????

Air Sylhet | Welcome to Air Sylhet (http://www.airsylhetonline.com/)

daz211
1st Nov 2008, 19:16
This is the first I have heard of this route, So I would be shocked
If the paying pax know about it.

Its not on the BAA website from what I can see.

There has been no local news reports on the route.

However looks real enough :ok:.

Air Sylhet - {Travel Daily News} (http://www.traveldailynews.com/pages/show_page/27741)

General_Kirby
2nd Nov 2008, 16:44
Well I've heard nothing and if this is true they haven't exactly done a great job of advertising. Website seems a bit dodgy. Hope it starts, would be an excellent route to add.

Stanstedeye
4th Nov 2008, 19:32
Good news is that TOM (FCA) will base two airframes at STN for all of next summer. So the TOM cutback did not last very long.

Stanstedeye
4th Nov 2008, 19:35
There were three TCX aircraft at STN yesterday, the based one plus one from Bristol & the other from Manchester.

nt639
5th Nov 2008, 08:48
Air Berlin adds 4th daily service to Dussledorf

Air Berlin, ..... launches a fourth daily service from Stansted to Dusseldorf. The new flight is already bookable and complements Air Berlin’s existing three daily services between London and the German metropolis on the river Rhine. The new service is scheduled for 2nd February 2008 and will be available Monday through Friday. Another new route for winter 2008/09 is a twice daily connecting flight from Stansted via Dusseldorf to the German city of Dresden from 1st December 2008.

TUGNBAR
5th Nov 2008, 19:56
Anyone else heard the rumour circulating the airport about a step ladder being found on the runway the other night..............Any truth or a load of :mad:

Hawker Demon
6th Nov 2008, 15:18
Step ladder was found on the runway wed night. Don't yet know how it got there or who owns it.

nivsy
7th Nov 2008, 11:45
Was there not a direct service from Stansted to Munich?

Looks like its been dropped for SO 09?

Nivsy

Stanstedeye
7th Nov 2008, 18:12
There are two based airframes at STN this week, any idea for how long?

Richard Taylor
7th Nov 2008, 19:27
Re the stepladder...would that not make it a RUNGway...?

*coat*...:E

TUGNBAR
7th Nov 2008, 19:44
Joking aside.......
HOW THE HELL DID A LADDER GET ON THE RUNWAY!!!!!:confused:

Answers on a postcard please

davidjohnson6
7th Nov 2008, 21:13
It's obvious, isn't it ?

Passing aliens had a technical problem with their spacecraft. Needed to land somewhere so that one of them could get out and have a look at it properly. Alien in question was not that tall, so needed a step-ladder to climb up and have a look. Fixed the problem, forgpt to load the step-ladder into the spacecraft, and then took off back into space.

Since aliens put the ladder on the runway, all earthlings will be justified in saying it wasn't them

General_Kirby
8th Nov 2008, 12:13
some cargo aircraft apparently have nooks crannys and crevices in the gear bays that possibly could have something like this stored in there, left by accident you would hope. Thank god it was found!

TUGNBAR
8th Nov 2008, 12:59
I find it hard to believe that any ground personell be it aircrew,handlers or an engineer would put such a thing in the gearbay or tiny knook and cranny of an aircraft for obvious reasons, but obviously it has happened and a very fortunate outcome, I dread to even think the carnage it could have caused, but without knowing the full truth I will refrain from making further comments .

Do we know what cargo airlines were operating that night.....Obvious ones UPS , FedEx , Titan , TNT................

Musket90
8th Nov 2008, 13:33
May have fallen out of a vehicle involved with the present runway night works and on the closed section of runway

daz211
8th Nov 2008, 18:22
I can tell you now that the TNT A300 has no knooks and crannys
where you could stow a step ladder.

I would guess it had something to do with the runway works.
or maybe fell from a fire truck or airport vehicle.

Doubt we will ever find out.

mickey71
9th Nov 2008, 22:43
ref the thomas cook aircraft in stn this week, it was a one off two aircraft being there, they were just completing the end of the summer programme due to the late half term holidays and starting the winter programme,its all back to normal now with a based A321.

firstchoice7e7
9th Nov 2008, 23:54
Some aircraft have a small ladder stored on board leading from near the nose wheel going up to the avionics bay. Cant remember the type but thats a likely bet on how a ladder was found on the runway.

freightdoggy dog
10th Nov 2008, 17:38
FC7e7..that will be the A300F..used to go up and down the nose wheel ladder a lot when handlers couldn't be @rsed to bring a set of steps out to the northside...However it is impossible for it to fall out of the avionics bay. More likely to be a contractor from the overnight runway works.

FEROMAN
10th Nov 2008, 22:07
Stepladder - it was a standard V shaped builders one and definitely not from the runway works. No one's owning up yet, but most almost certainly left on an aircraft wing or similar - no vehicles other than the inspection vehicle were on the runway between inspections.

Air Berlin - no way they're going to Aviance given that they've just had to move satellites because they couldn't get out of the Servisair contract

Air Sylhet - they'll be starting their new service in December with (I think) Servisair handling

Skipness One Echo
10th Nov 2008, 22:42
Being serious for a moment, finding a small metal part could have saved the Air France Concorde, so one wonders what Engine + Step Ladder could do.

Someone NEEDS to be identified and prosecuted for this. If you are going to humiliate the travelling public at security as they MAY be a risk to the aircraft and then go and discover a bloody great lump of metal your own runway then it's important that someone be held accountable.

I can't believe this hasn't had more exposure.

Buster the Bear
19th Nov 2008, 15:25
Manchester Airport loses Stansted service - Crain's Manchester Business (http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness.co.uk/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081119/FREE/811199982/1006)

daz211
19th Nov 2008, 18:38
Maybe Ryanair will launch STN-MAN, I hope so anyway :ok:.

brown1950
19th Nov 2008, 20:15
If as expected AirAsia X commence services to Kuala Lumpur ex STN then somebody will replace Eastern - perhaps Ryanair ? Many Northerners flying to Far East use the Middle East carries ( Emirates/Etihad/Qatar) ex Manchester but Air AsiaX could offer a cheaper alternative ?

MUFC_fan
19th Nov 2008, 20:23
MAN will most likely become a KUL destination within the next 24 months anyway but we may see FR launch the route anyway.

Buster the Bear
20th Nov 2008, 09:43
AirAsia X gears up for London launch-20 November, 2008 (http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1133016.php?mpnlog=1)

tommyc2005
20th Nov 2008, 10:54
Iceland Express are packing their bags from May, all services will operate from Gatwick.

freightdoggy dog
20th Nov 2008, 11:01
The Manchester route from Stansted does not make money simple. AirBerlin had very high LFs, but obviously negative yeilds, so if Eastern with a prop lower seating and high prices can't make it work.....forget it.

Seat62K
21st Nov 2008, 07:45
I departed from gate 40 recently. The area was very crowded. Where's the logic of using this gate now that there is so much spare capacity farther down this wing, in less congested areas, now that the winter schedule has commenced? Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

carbootking
21st Nov 2008, 16:55
what is the logic of iceland express moving to gatwick when the paxs connect with ryanair , ill misstrying to spell all those long names

Musket90
21st Nov 2008, 18:09
carbootking

May be because Astreus are operating the flight therefore better crew and maintenance back up at LGW base so keeping costs down. Also with LGW up for sale there may be an opportunity for some competative charges compared to STN. Easyjet and others with the many connections out of LGW may be just as good an alternative to Ryanair's network out of STN.

Buster the Bear
21st Nov 2008, 18:33
Has their 'deal' expired with BAA Stansted? Far more long haul connections from Gatwick.

Musket90
21st Nov 2008, 18:50
Buster

Don't know about the "deal" but I suppose it makes sense to operate from your main base to minimise costs, particularly when the main base is the "second" London airport.
The recent airline consolidation and shift of transatlantic flights from LGW to LHR and consequent reduction in runway movements may have released available runway slots which suite Iceland Express's schedule.

brown1950
21st Nov 2008, 22:24
AirAsia X gears up for London launch-20 November, 2008 (http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1133016.php?mpnlog=1)

Anybody know about aircraft type / fares/ flight timings ?

daz211
24th Nov 2008, 18:46
Aircraft to be used is - A340, as for the rest we will have to wait until tomorrow :ok:.

I will be standing by with my credit card, maybe we will see some very cheap seat offers at the launch.

massive news for London.:D

tommyc2005
25th Nov 2008, 10:39
5 x weekly from March, rising to daily, from £99 single. The maximum single fare will be £250. Connections available from £40-80 return to a host of destinations, Australia will be £350-380 return from STN.

Eventually the plan is to have a 5 daily Asia shuttle, though that sounds a little ambitious!

Seat62K
25th Nov 2008, 16:47
If the fares cited above to Australia are not just opening offers, I'd have thought that "legacy" carriers have much to worry about and that multiple daily flights might actually become reality.

MUFC_fan
25th Nov 2008, 16:54
The 5 a day may include MAN and another destnation aswell, I'm guessing DUS.

Maybe 3 x STN, 1 x MAN and DUS

mattcam
4th Dec 2008, 00:54
looking forward to march 11 to see AIR ASIA X. i have this feeling that it will last longer then max-jet eos etc. from what a mate told me its very hard to get a seat. so i just know this is what stn neads:ok:

davidjohnson6
5th Dec 2008, 07:45
Different airports may have their own way of doing this - I'm interested specifically in STN

An airline has to hand over money for APD to the Govt and charges to an airport per pax - and so there needs to be a way to count the number of pax for which this is due. I'm not interested in how to reclaim this money from an airline - that has been discussed elsewhere. I'm interested only in the method of counting for someone who checks in online. I can see 4 ways of counting this:

1) Pax checks in via Internet and prints boarding card at home
2) Pax presents boarding card at security for a barcode scan
3) Pax presents boarding card at departure gate, with part of the boarding card retained at the gate.
4) Headcount is taken on plane immedaitely prior to dispatch. Let's ignore the possibility of someone demanding to get off the plane after the doors are closed.

Methods 2 and 3 do not match in the event a pax gets waylaid in the shops and is left behind by the airline.

Methods 3 and 4 normally match - but not if the plane stops at STN as an intermediary stop on a flight covering 3 airports. Perhaps a theoretical difference, but nonetheless possible if an airline wishes to fly such a route.

Which method is used to count pax for both APD and airport charges ?

Powerjet1
9th Dec 2008, 10:56
FT.com / Companies / Airlines - Regulator questions Stansted expansion (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c42361d8-c5cf-11dd-a741-000077b07658.html)

sat1
9th Dec 2008, 11:13
Can we now assume that Stn 'security' will now spend a little less time making airport staff remove belts and shoes ect whilst in their cosy VP,s and much more time outside checking perimeter fencing?
Heaven forbid they may have to put on a coat and go outside and do some serious checking--oops,no,sorry,they already do that.....from the smoking shed!!!!!!

daz211
9th Dec 2008, 19:40
This could be said for all UK Airports !

As could the Airfield infringment at STN.
I did notice today passing SR Technics that there is alot more
Airfield vehicles doing laps around the Airfield.

racedo
9th Dec 2008, 22:48
I did notice today passing SR Technics that there is alot more
Airfield vehicles doing laps around the Airfield.

Aaaaaah the good old the horse has bolted so lets lock the stable door technique.:ugh:

TUGNBAR
22nd Dec 2008, 22:29
Sorry to hear that Aviance have started laying staff off:(.....such a shame, some decent guys there, wish them all well.

virginblue
30th Dec 2008, 15:41
Maybe the answer is buried in one of the 40 preceding pages - but I shall ask anyway:

I was wondering about the purpose of the apron to the right of satellite 3 / the terminal building - other than being a storage area for surplus Ryanair 737s? - as seen here:

Stansted Airport, aerial view at 3600 ft, showing the Terminal building and (from left) Satellites 1, 2 and 3. Below the Terminal is the Short-Stay Car Park and recently contructed Coach Terminal, June 2007. photo,Trackair,aerials,airports,digital,ex (http://photolibrary.baa.com/preview.aspx?p=24904&f=CST02185d&o=0)

Will the unpaved area be the site of a future satellite - and if so:
- what is the timescale
- how will it be accessible from the terminal?
- why has the area been paved only to some extent?

WHBM
30th Dec 2008, 16:26
The area at the north end is indeed for a 4th satellite at some stage in the future. Gate utilisation is still not at the level to require this extra space, runway capacity at peak times and congestion at security are more significant items. The way Stansted has gone low cost with quick turnrounds means the ratio of gate numbers to runway capacity is way down on the design criteria of the 1980s. There aren't lots of long-haul widebodies sat at gates for hours like at Heathrow/Gatwick.

Access plans change over time. Satellite 1 has the cumbersome, very expensive and prone to breakdown Transit, one of those oh-so-brilliant design features of the terminal (like the unventilated toilets situated right in the middle of the main building concourses which pong everything around them) which got architect Sir Norman Foster all his design awards for the structure :rolleyes:; notice the Transit has not been repeated on Satellites 2 (Domestic) and 3 (Ryanair).

For low cost carriers look for a walking pier from the terminal. And when the Transit wears out, look for the same to be installed at Satellite 1.

virginblue
30th Dec 2008, 18:00
Thanks. Very helpful insights into the dealing at STN :ok:.

Is the as yet uncovered half of the future satellite 4 apron about to be finished? From the aerial view provided by BAA, it looks as if this area is readied for some kind of paving.

Btw, where is Ryanair storing the droves of withdrawn 737-800s (if MOL is to be believed) over the winter? At STN, DUB or somewhere else ?

Hollymead
30th Dec 2008, 18:24
Shouldnt they finish Sat 2 before worrying about Sat 4 ?

Musket90
31st Dec 2008, 09:02
The area concerned (Echo apron)was built to provide more remote parking for mainly B737-800 size types. The whole area wasn't paved because the business didn't demand it. Should a second runway ever be built then any new taxiways would easily link into this new apron.

Also it's located so if another satellite was to be built it would fit nicely between the two cul-de-sacs (Delta and Echo). As for terminal access to this new satellite if it was a walkway then the very long distance would be a customer service issue. If the transit was extended this would be a very costly project.

Given the present traffic downturn I think it'll be a long time before a new staellite is built. Maybe when Stansted is sold the new operator may look at things differently.

carbootking
31st Dec 2008, 16:05
the transit train tunnell was completed there some years back, just needs the satellite to be built was rumoured the bearded one was looking at it but nothing ever came of it.

Musket90
31st Dec 2008, 17:40
The transit train tunnel was built to existing Satellite 3 but decision was made to provide link walkway from Terminal, so no station infrastructure exists here at the moment. Any future new satellite between Delta and Echo apron to be served by transit requires extension of existing tunnel and all the station infrastructure that goes with it. Not cheap I think.

EBU42
2nd Jan 2009, 09:19
On a slightly different track, what is happening with the old "Est bar est" or whatever it was called in Sat 1. It used to be quite pleasing to sit of a late afternoon with a pint and watch the world go by, but it is now all boarded up. Will it be back?

spirit of the age
2nd Jan 2009, 11:54
With servisair putting the part timers onto nil hours and aviance downsizing(with added work) is it time for the two to merge with a view to protecting what work they have? Obviously servisair would need to make some redundencies,but that would be only short term.

spirit of the age
2nd Jan 2009, 19:46
Think you'll find its a done deal,7 redundancies imminent

sat1
3rd Jan 2009, 08:35
Why is this only coming out now? Those redundancies have been on the cards for several weeks now.

newscaster
4th Jan 2009, 18:08
PIA rumored to be returning to STN.

mickey71
5th Jan 2009, 03:42
good to see things havent changed to much from 2008 into 2009!

'alice in wonderland stories are still rife'!

lets all see what happens over the next few weeks,withouth making wildcard assumptions!

daz211
5th Jan 2009, 17:58
PIA to fly to Barcelona, Stansted | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online (http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Business/02-Jan-2009/PIA-to-fly-to-Barcelona-Stansted)

nt639
5th Jan 2009, 22:21
Some humble pie needed there micky71 me thinks!:)

mickey71
6th Jan 2009, 23:47
when i are they suppose tostart flying then,as i work in stansted there hasnt been any news of this going around as yet,unless the person who made the post works at stansted and knows something,since pia pulled out rumours have circulated time before that they were coming back but as yet,nothing!

and there has been rumours of other airlines coming,mentioned in the press before and its all blown away,so until the airline make an official announcement and the aircraft pulls on stand i think given the current climate we will wait and see,if it does come off then all well and good as it be good for the airport.

GRIZZLER
11th Jan 2009, 14:07
I have heard rumours that when the new runway has been built at STN,the little thatched pub that is at mole hill green is to be left standing and will be used as the new airport social club.....I THINK THIS WILL ADD A NICE LITTLE TOUCH.. and keep all the anti airporters happy...as they wont be able to use it , because it will be airside.....cant wait to sit in the beer garden(drinking iced tea) watching my next job come in.......roll on the long hot summer days.
:)

Hawker Demon
11th Jan 2009, 15:53
Grizzler.... How would you see your next flight come in on a long hot summer day when you only work nights

GRIZZLER
12th Jan 2009, 13:51
as i sit in the beer garden(with my iced tea)time around 18.30 ish....plane flys over broxted to the hiss and boos of the so called locals.....i could be on my bike and clock in for 19.00 ready for the offload.....cheers make mine a double.......you can dream.
:O

Dr747
16th Jan 2009, 09:13
Just read in a Pakistani newspaper that the PIA's lahore to Stansted flights will start from 01/04/09. These will be twice weekly indirect flights via Dubai. Does anyone else anymore info on these?

tommy212
17th Jan 2009, 18:15
yes it is confirmed p.i.a is resuming flights into STN effective 1st apr

Stanstedeye
18th Jan 2009, 18:51
yes it is confirmed p.i.a is resuming flights into STN effective 1st apr

Will PIA be using the 310 as it did when it operated from STN before?

bazzab68
26th Jan 2009, 05:50
Anyone know why the runway is currently closed at STN. (0644/26jan09)??

Regards

Barry

Scottie Dog
26th Jan 2009, 06:50
Runway lighting U/S.

Reopened 0710.

Scottie Dog

FEROMAN
26th Jan 2009, 21:42
Yeah right. The real reason's so much funnier :O

TUGNBAR
26th Jan 2009, 22:09
Come on FEROMAN tell all!!!

FEROMAN
26th Jan 2009, 22:26
Well I guess they closed while they were busy checking the runway to make sure there were no more nuts lying around. Or any more wheels!

Just after the runway de-icer truck driver noticed one of his wheels overtake him :eek:

Jamie-Southend
28th Jan 2009, 23:25
Ryanair FR465 Diverted tonight to EMA ? Anyone know why, was meeting PAX off it, i gather it was in the decent to STN.

J

mickey71
30th Jan 2009, 01:51
we had fog in stansted on wednesday night so chances are weather was below minima for that acft and or crew to land?

daz211
1st Feb 2009, 21:50
Looks like the snow has started to affect STN now as well as LGW
and LCY, FR and EZY have started diverting flights.

wonder how LHR and LTN are doing ?
Tomorrow will be fun for us all :}.

tommy212
3rd Feb 2009, 18:31
STN schedule:

LHE-DXB-STN
Wednesdays

Dep : LHE 13:15

Arr : DXB 15:15
Dep: DXB 16:30

Arr : STN 21:00

Return leg Dep : 22:45 Arr 14:00 (+1 day)

PK 773/774
Airbus A310 with 1 Stop

ISB-DXB-STN

Fridays

Dep: ISB 08:30
Arr: STN 16:15

Return leg Dep : 18:00 Arr 09:10

PK 773/774
Airbus A310 with 1 Stop

daz211
3rd Feb 2009, 20:06
has anyone any info on why the police helicopter and about 6 police cars were in a filed next to the mid stay car park ?
the heliopter had its flood light on searching for something
and all police cars had their blue lights flashing.

Evileyes
7th Feb 2009, 20:09
Numerous STN ground handling posts have been moved to the Ground Handling forum,

http://www.pprune.org/flight-ground-ops-crewing-dispatch/361303-stn-handling.html

pilot31
23rd Feb 2009, 10:48
from todays Evening Standard

BAA is to agree to sell Stansted airport rather than take legal action to prevent the move, it emerged today.

The move will bring to an end the operator's dominance of London's airports since it was created 40 years ago as a government agency.

The airports group, majority-owned by Spanish company Ferrovial, has fought to keep hold of Stansted despite being told by the Competition Commission it had to relinquish it.

Senior BAA executives have pledged to go through the courts to prevent the sale of the Essex airport, however the Spanish infrastructure group is understood now to be prepared to drop its objections.

The final decision on airport ownership will be made by the Commission next month, and is expected to order BAA to give up Gatwick, which it is already selling, Stansted and one of its two Scottish airports.

Industry insiders said they had expected a climbdown ever since the Government decided to support the construction of a third runway at Heathrow.

An airline executive said: "There was no point in [BAA] going on fighting the Competition Commission. It has won on the bigger point of expanding Heathrow,"

The Real Slim Shady
23rd Feb 2009, 10:58
Thats a somewhat naive call given the Conservatives opposition to the 3rd runway at LHR.

Perhaps the "expansion" is simply a smokescreen to offload STN and generate some cash.

Skipness One Echo
23rd Feb 2009, 11:22
Thats a somewhat naive call given the Conservatives opposition to the 3rd runway at LHR.

I'd love to see Cameron snuggle up to the Green lobby and tell the jobs and businesses this would generate to p*** off as he attempts to get the UK working again. A way will be found to "180 backtrack".

As the wheels come off one shouldn't tinker with the air freshener, one should hire a mechanic.....

Capot
23rd Feb 2009, 14:30
As was said at the time of the Air Transport White paper, and resolutely denied by BAA and their pet monkey the Dept for Transport (Alistair Darling i/c), Stansted has always been, and still is a commercial turkey.

Its only attraction for airlines is very low charges, and so inevitably it has become dominated by LCC's, or rather dominated by 1 LCC, to wit, Ryanair. Retail revenues are only good if numbers are kept high. Hmmm, anyone forecasting a bit of a slump there?

Those low charges must either remain low to keep airlines using it, or if they are raised the main user will go away. It cannot be cross-subsidised legally from LHR, and under separate ownership that possibility totally disappears.

For these reasons its expansion project, especially at BAA's grossly inflated costs, has always been and remains totally unbankable. Indeed, the risk that it can never make a fair return on capital is so high that such a failure is a racing certainty.

Unusually for this Government it has not - yet - meekly offered to fill the gap with taxpayers' funds, although it probably will, eventually.

I'm not surprised the Spaniards want to get out.

Totally_Bananas
23rd Feb 2009, 14:52
"Stansted has always been, and still is a commercial turkey"

Dec 2008 Passenger numbers (source CAA);

LHR 67030
LGW 34497
STN 22550
MAN 21203
LTN 10236
BHX 9558
EDI 9008

The UK's 3rd busiest airport is a commerial turkey?!!

peter we
23rd Feb 2009, 15:14
I'd love to see Cameron snuggle up to the Green lobby and tell the jobs and businesses this would generate to p*** off as he attempts to get the UK working again. A way will be found to "180 backtrack".

The piddling number of jobs lost will be nothing to the votes Labour will lose over Heathrow expansion. Millions of people will be affected by it, many south Londoners who have no access to the airport due to the total lack of public transport.

bia botal
23rd Feb 2009, 15:15
Dec 2008 Passenger numbers (source CAA);

LHR 67030
LGW 34497
STN 22550
MAN 21203
LTN 10236
BHX 9558
EDI 9008

I bloody doubt it fella, surely there are some zeros missing.

S78
23rd Feb 2009, 15:33
Passenger numbers do not equal profit. There's been rumours aplenty over the last few years that STN wouldn't survive on its own as a going concern without a big increase in fees it charges. Hence the talk of 'cross-subsidy' between BAA's airports and the rare sight of Virgin and BA standing side by side in opposition to STN's new runway being paid for from the fees they pay to operate out of LHR.

S78

Skipness One Echo
23rd Feb 2009, 16:22
My point is that once "Call me Dave" has connived his way into Numer 10 he will need to grow up and deal with the big boy world.
Hence he would be the first Tory PM in history to say no to a capital project of national interest, to create REAL jobs in a massive econmic downturn, to ensure that the transport infrastructure is in place,*breath* to ride the eventual upturn to pay off the stupendous amount of debt he has been left by the scorched Earth policies of of Gordon Brown and Labour.

It's either that or he really isn't a fan of increased economic activity in which case the troubles only just beginning.....

Stansted is busy with people on cheap flights on airlines DEMANDING unrealistically cheap landing and parking fees. So shops are nice and busy, and since that's the big revenue driver they need to be. Not enough to pay for Runway 2 and the rest of the infrastructure. Look at the way Satellite 3 is nice for half it's length and then pure crap at the end. Thats the future of Stansted, a tin shed under the cosh of a fly by night airline.

The Real Slim Shady
23rd Feb 2009, 16:58
Skipness One Echo: Location Babylon on Thames London

to say no to a capital project of national interest

The 3rd runway is most definitely NOT in the national interest: I would even suggest it is hardly in the local interest of the current inhabitants of Sipson or the weary travellers on the M4, M40, M25 and Tube.

Use the force S1E and think "outside the M25" ;)

Skipness One Echo
23rd Feb 2009, 18:56
So we stop progress because of narrow local interest?

No more jobs? No more connectivity?

I hate to spread the word to the regions here but where do you think all the money came from in the good times to build all the schools and hospitals? A Hell of a lot of it came from the flood of talent into London able to get here because of reasonably good connections at Heathrow. The routes were there but the experience was crap! Terminal 5 is changing that experience by the day and the sadly delayed Heathrow East will be a pleasure to use if the lessons of T5 are learnt.

Heathrow is a major part of the UK economy, as it brings money into London. You can take out ALL regional connectivity and that's still true. All those rich bankers bonuses, 40% went in tax to the Government to subsidise the vastly inflated public sector of non jobs and jobsworths. Now we hate bankers, I do too, but the money's stopped flowing. So here's a plan, lets artificially constrain access to the only world gateway we have!

There is life outside the M25 mate, sadly I'm paying for it.

** Note to enraged regional types. I'm not a Londoner I'm a Scot. However I am realistic as to how much money has been "spread" about the UK from London and the South East. Fairs fair, can we have a third runway so our airport works and Crossrail 20 years after it was supposed to be running?

pamann
24th Feb 2009, 16:04
Stansted has always been, and still is a commercial turkey

No doubt the thought (as per usual) of those who reside by a certain M1 motorway, close to an airport with half the through-put of London's third airport and are still bitter and twisted that their airport never did and never will make the grade.

I never realised that the symbol of a profitable airport was one where a BA and a VS had to sit side by side. Hmmm... That really just leaves LGW & LHR I guess, however it may be worth noting that @ LHR BA = T1 & T5 and @ LGW BA = North Terminal VS = South. Oh maybe the UK is just a commercial aviation disaster. Or maybe I just don't get this obvious "Aviation Expert" of a comment? :ugh:

Capot
26th Feb 2009, 21:53
As the more rational have pointed out, simply flinging passenger numbers around proves nothing about commercial viability. Stansted has always had to pay its users to go there, in effect, which is why it has ended up with the user profile it has got.

There was a time in the 1980's when Stansted's gross income, from all sources, was less than Exeter's which had 10% of Stansted's passenger numbers. Thius caused huge amusement/embarrassment at BAA meetings, because they were run by BAA (Stansted) and Airports UK, a BAA subsidiary (Exeter).

The point now is that no sensible financier will invest in an airport that is totally dominated by volatile users such as Ryanair. That was true before the credit crunch, its even more true now.

And that's why it's a turkey.

Feet on ground
27th Feb 2009, 16:45
Not the biggest news Stansted will have this month, but Aurigny Air Services has announced daily Stansted Jersey Services from 1st May.

Every little bit helps.

FEROMAN
2nd Mar 2009, 21:01
Well done to Swissport who have just won the PIA handling contract from the beginning of April. I guess Servisair didn't see that one coming.

GRIZZLER
3rd Mar 2009, 09:54
lets hope swissport have enough men left to handle the PIA, now that most of them are wearing menzies uniforms!!!!!!....maybe swissport never see it coming either.
:uhoh:

Buster the Bear
3rd Mar 2009, 10:39
No doubt the thought (as per usual) of those who reside by a certain M1 motorway, close to an airport with half the through-put of London's third airport and are still bitter and twisted that their airport never did and never will make the grade.

Luton might well have done, but as it was not part of the BAA empire, it was never developed via cash from passengers and airline's flying from Heathrow and Gatwick.

Considering Luton was funded by reinvesting profit and a degree of investment from the Town Hall prior to the concession, a figure of 10 million plus passengers currently is not too bad. The Town Hall also makes around 43p for every arriving and departing passenger.

Why do Ryanair only base four airframes in Bedfordshire? Quite simply Luton will not pay Ryanair for the privilege of basing more aircraft.

If runway 2 is not granted approval, Stansted will be doomed as it will have to stand on its own two feet for once and not have the luxury of passengers flying from Heathrow paying for it!

The BAA must really hope the folk of Essex don't put up too big a fight otherwise Stansted's value on the open market will be small. No wonder the BAA are going to flog it off now (or trying to).

The BAA are hugely leveraged, so I guess the days of cheap deals to fly from there are over.

I could start a list of airlines that have bailed out totally or partially which would inc Wizz, Norwegian......., but my fingers would wear out from typing!

GRIZZLER
3rd Mar 2009, 11:18
they all want stansted when the weather is bad.......cross winds at heathrow....lets go to stansted...fog at london city....lets go to stansted...snow on the hill at luton....lets go to stansted.....early morning mist at gatwick....lets go to stansted.......... its very rare that we are closed for any of these,compared with other stations.....especially cross winds.

But nobody wants stansted on a good day:sad:

daz211
3rd Mar 2009, 18:30
Air Asia X wanted STN and GOT IT.

Only 7 days to go :D, First arrival due on the 11th March.

Bring on the A340 :ok:.

mattcam
3rd Mar 2009, 20:53
:D looking forward to seeing her flying few times daily over my place . good times for stansted:ok:

nt639
4th Mar 2009, 06:54
"No doubt the thought (as per usual) of those who reside by a certain M1 motorway, close to an airport with half the through-put of London's third airport and are still bitter and twisted that their airport never did and never will make the grade"

Think you have just justified that quote Buster:ok:

Skipness One Echo
4th Mar 2009, 08:55
I think in all honesty what some posters have been trying to claim is that Stansted lacks balanced movements as the vast bulk of the traffic at the Terminal side is loco. Air Asia X is more of the same.

Will they make STN money as an ex BAA Airport is the real question that the business faces?

daz211
7th Mar 2009, 09:13
I Have been told that AirAsiaX will be holding a mass event at London Liverpool St Station on the 11th March giving away FREE TICKETS along with fun and games for all.
http://blog.airasia.com/media/users/nickeechung/thumb_plugin/DSC09980.jpg
here is a pic of the A340 in full colour for those that have not seen it yet.

energy2
7th Mar 2009, 19:17
If you look at the Manston 3 thread you will see it is full of the possible move of BAWC from Stansted to Manston. But no mention here. Has nobody here heard about it?

daz211
8th Mar 2009, 19:10
From what I have seen of the Manston thread its nothing more
than a wild dream thread, there always seems to be some NEW
Airline or service about to start but nothing ever comes of any
of it :oh:.

airhumberside
9th Mar 2009, 14:26
There seems to be more to this than just a rumour. MSE have been trying to get an extension to their operating hours, that apparently fits the times of BA's current STN operation. Which seems to suggest BA have an interest in moving the operation to MSE. If the interest becomes reality is another matter

daz211
9th Mar 2009, 19:16
Today at the cargo terminal there are people hard at work
putting AirAsiaX transfers onto Aircraft steps and from
what I could see onto a tug !

Skipness One Echo
9th Mar 2009, 20:49
It's generally done for the first days operation only. Virgin put their logo all over the Aviance gear when they launched Glasgow services.

Skipness One Echo
9th Mar 2009, 21:01
It's generally done for the first days operation only. Virgin put their logo all over the Aviance gear when they launched Glasgow services.

lefturnout
10th Mar 2009, 09:48
From what I have seen of the Manston thread its nothing more than a wild dream thread, there always seems to be some NEW Airline or service about to start but nothing ever comes of any of it :oh:.
Wild dream eh? See what Jude Winstanley has to say here:
News : From Air Cargo Magazine (http://www.worldaircargoevents.com/news_detail.aspx?footer=1&news_id=920)

mattcam
11th Mar 2009, 16:55
british airways world cargo have snubbed manston and have decided to stay at stansted

daz211
11th Mar 2009, 19:17
Wild dream eh?

YES :E.

Ad C
11th Mar 2009, 19:35
well, there's always the next dream

paul247
11th Mar 2009, 21:14
:Every wild;)

TUGNBAR
11th Mar 2009, 22:26
Well its nice to have some pleasing news and know that Servisair have managed to slash out a deal. Good for the airport good for the workers. :D:D

sat1
12th Mar 2009, 08:39
My guess is that keeping BAWC will have cost Servisair financially.Standby for some serious cost cutting measures.

lefturnout
12th Mar 2009, 13:27
[Wild dream eh?

YES http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif.It was very, very close to it being your nightmare

Stanstedeye
13th Mar 2009, 18:18
From May 1st, First Essex are introducing an X40 route from Basildon which will run via Chelmsford to Stansted..
Vehicles for it will come from Colchester due to its X22 being reduced in frequency.

Capot
15th Mar 2009, 00:07
Air Cargo News....

BAWC keeps Stansted as freighter base
13/03/2009 http://www.worldaircargoevents.com/images/sce/news/BAWCFreighter1.jpg
FOLLOWING a tender process, British Airways World Cargo (BAWC) has chosen to continue operating its longhaul freighter programme from London Stansted.

During the evaluation procedure BAWC investigated a number of options, including a possible relocation to Kent International Airport (KIA). Up until only a few days ago sources within BAWC and oweners of KIA - Infratil - had told Air Cargo News that the move was almost finalised.

Jude Winstanley, BAWC's head of network and freighters, said: “After careful evaluation and taking into account a number of factors including the need to provide the best product for our customers, cost effectiveness, service quality and speed of connection, Stansted remains the most attractive longhaul freighter base for BA World Cargo and our customers.”

spirit of the age
15th Mar 2009, 13:35
reference last post...Was'nt it one of their aircraft that got whacked at Stn?

GRIZZLER
15th Mar 2009, 14:19
i think you will find it was a self inflicted wack........got all the way from hong kong ...but the last ten feet where a bit tricky.

is it just me.......or has anybody else noticed,that pilots are good in the air.....but as soon as they get onto a bit of cement they become instantly lost.

MUFC_fan
16th Mar 2009, 14:13
I have been looking and to fly from LON to KUL it is not much different, sometimes cheaper to fly with other carriers such as EK and BA which offer a much better level of service.

Unless you can get one of the cheap flights then I would rather go with one of the other carriers if I am being honest.

FEROMAN
17th Mar 2009, 07:01
Well not physically, but changing from 05-23 to 04-22 at the beginning of July 2009

daz211
19th Mar 2009, 20:39
I hear [people] from a major US airline were taking a tour
around STN this morning, anyone know who it was ???

I was told it may have been US Airway but not sure :rolleyes:.

virgin_cc_wannabe
19th Mar 2009, 22:02
Dont think it will be US airways.

They downgraded LGW to a B752 as part of the move to LHR, and in turn LHR has been downgraded from an A333 to a B762 due to lower than expected loads.

On top of that, the new daily service to BHX has been downgraded to 5Xweekly, and now MAN has the only UK-PHL A333 this year.

So, seems like US are struggling to fill planes as it is, so doubt that they would want to bring a new station online bearing that in mind.

spirit of the age
20th Mar 2009, 09:33
Thanks for the intel Grizzler,so,now that the BA is staying at Stn,is there any truth in the rumour that it will be now be handled by a different agent--part of the package of staying????

GRIZZLER
20th Mar 2009, 14:21
who knows!!!! things change by the hour.:eek:

newscaster
20th Mar 2009, 18:03
El AL relaunch top STN from June.

sat1
21st Mar 2009, 18:36
Oh dear, I hope Servisair don't assume the're gonna keep the BA contract like they did the PIA!!!

airhumberside
21st Mar 2009, 19:26
Re. El Al

Dont they already have a weekly STN flight, so its a major frequency increase rather than a brand new service?

GRIZZLER
21st Mar 2009, 21:11
don't worry sat 1,you won't have enough men left to do it anyway.

is there anybody left that could do it?????????

Hounddog1
21st Mar 2009, 21:29
Big difference between pax management and cargo management, these guys tend to have their fingers on the pulse of everything that involves Cargo, they tend not to get a contract and then leave that airline on the shelf to collect dust and ignore the airlines problems. Those that presume, tend to fail, classic examples PIA !!

daz211
22nd Mar 2009, 19:47
I would love to see a STN-LAS route one day :}.

terrain safe
22nd Mar 2009, 21:45
I would love to see a STN-LAS route one day http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif.

You are about a year too late, Maxjet did this one.

Skipness One Echo
22nd Mar 2009, 22:25
I would love to see a STN-LAS route one day

This was so succesful for MaxJet they went bust. A definite winner....NOT!

daz211
23rd Mar 2009, 19:16
Maxjet and Eos went under due to AA making everyone think
they were really going to make a go of STN...
We all now know AA only came to STN to push out MAXJET and EOS.

Virgin is the only Airline to offer direct flights from the UK as far as I
know there is no competition on this route...

Ringwayman
23rd Mar 2009, 19:47
bid pedantic I know, but BD still have about 3 or 4 more weeks operating MAN-LAS so there's competition of a sort. More logical for VS to also operate MAN-LAS to keep it all "in-house".

Buster the Bear
26th Mar 2009, 15:46
So with the BAA in financial meltdown, yet another airline is moving from Essex into Bedfordshire! My mole indicates that more could follow!

EL AL moves into Luton-26 March, 2009 (http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1135432.php?mpnlog=1)

Skipness One Echo
26th Mar 2009, 15:52
Maxjet and Eos went under due to AA making everyone think
they were really going to make a go of STN...

Ah so it was all someone elses fault? Damn that free market. Nothing to do with a flawed business plan, old aircraft, relibilty, sporadic route launches, unusual market placement and serious under funding?

Goodo. Let's blame everything on the other guy who gave them a run for their money. Daz if Stansted is a London airport then American were defending their London routes, better served from Heathrow. If you can't play with the big boys that's what happens.

davidjohnson6
26th Mar 2009, 16:07
Just my opinion, but when seeing all those ads at Canary Wharf DLR station for AA to NYC, it looked seriously credible.

Sure, BA want AA to be flying only at LHR, but when the economy picks up, if Continental (or maybe Delta) want to get imaginative, a couple of flights a day to/from STN could do well

LHR27C
26th Mar 2009, 18:13
So with the BAA in financial meltdown, yet another airline is moving from Essex into Bedfordshire

:rolleyes: Obviously not in so much financial meltdown that they feel the need to charge for dropping off passengers, plastic bags at security, non-refundable baggage trolleys or to get to the "airport station".

pamann
26th Mar 2009, 21:36
Stansted everytime! :ok::ok::ok:
Luton if I have to :yuk:

carousel
27th Mar 2009, 13:04
you are welcome. I for one will be glad to see the back of them. Pax with attitude, Crews with attitude and large chips on shoulders. Security Agents with attitude bigger chips and a total distrust of anyone not speaking Hebrew.

Hounddog1
27th Mar 2009, 17:06
So with EL AL going to Luton, what is left for Servisair now, their workload is dwindling !

6 x times a week would have been an extra amount in the financial pot...

sat1
27th Mar 2009, 17:19
Ssshhhhhhh!!! You'll panic the troops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The're already initiating redundancies.

LTNman
27th Mar 2009, 17:33
Security Agents with attitude bigger chips and a total distrust of anyone not speaking Hebrew.

And there was I thinking that a hebrew was a male teabag

GRIZZLER
28th Mar 2009, 15:10
as baldrick said on more than one occasion.......like servisair.....they have a cunning plan.
:confused:

spirit of the age
28th Mar 2009, 17:47
And like Baldrick, is this cunning plan going to be as much good as..............................

spirit of the age
28th Mar 2009, 17:49
.......................a fart in a spacesuit?????????????????

Stanstedeye
30th Mar 2009, 17:58
Air Transport International 207 due to land at 06.14 tomorrow from Toledo.
Any info on this company?
Could the flight be for the G20 this week?

daz211
30th Mar 2009, 18:25
There is alot of security underway around Stansted, loads of
police tape around fields, wooded areas and large concrete
bollards in the roads around the old side.

Word at STN is AirForce One is due around 2200-2300 tomorrow
so that will upset Ryanair if true, slap bang in Ryanairs busy arrival
time...

Richard Taylor
30th Mar 2009, 18:49
daz,

Nah, isn't that for O'Leary? ;)

Seljuk22
30th Mar 2009, 19:19
Last winter FR and U2 reduced their fleets/capacity at STN.
How many a/c will they have in the summer and is the capacity of these 2 main players the same like last year?

STN Ramp Rat
30th Mar 2009, 19:49
Air Transport International LLC (http://www.airtransport.cc/)

and no it isn't

Stanstedeye
30th Mar 2009, 20:07
STN Ramp Rat

Thanks for the info
If the their web-site is correct it will at least be very rare to see a DC8 at STN again.

daz211
31st Mar 2009, 04:45
Flt UA9888 due to land at STN 0930 ex ADW ??? G20 ???

LHR27C
31st Mar 2009, 09:21
Flt UA9888 due to land at STN 0930 ex ADW ??? G20 ???

White House press charter.

Matty J
31st Mar 2009, 18:55
Air Force 1 has just arrived on rwy23 @ STN for anyone thats interested.

:ok:

daz211
31st Mar 2009, 19:04
Nice advert for RYANAIR on Sky news AirForce One parked
right across from the new Ryanair hanger :ok:.

LTNman
31st Mar 2009, 19:22
So why was no one wearing high viz jackets?

Skipness One Echo
31st Mar 2009, 19:43
Because they make you look ridiculous?

CHINOOKER
31st Mar 2009, 20:33
Did anyone see the guy positioning the nosewheel chocks? Nice suit/long coat and polished shoes....Hope he hasn't set a trend!

GRIZZLER
1st Apr 2009, 12:58
Here at STN they are doing away with hi vis jackets...... due to the country location and the green landscape we are going over to camouflage gear, so as to blend in with the surrounding area....and not upset local anti airport protesters.....even some of the buggys and tugs have camouflage paint... but due to the location we have not found them yet.....most of our equipment is still in the winter alpine colours.

hope this helps.

daz211
1st Apr 2009, 17:49
I have been told AirAsia X has finalised a lease agreement for its second A340-300 from Air Canada.

Anyone know when its due in service.

sat1
1st Apr 2009, 18:00
can we assume that the blue buggies are from your maritime division?;)

spirit of the age
7th Apr 2009, 18:20
Is there any truth/fact behind the growing RUMOURS that both Germanwings and AsiaX are less than happy with their handling agent?

FEROMAN
7th Apr 2009, 19:31
name me an airline that ever is.............grass is always greener and all that.....

FEROMAN
7th Apr 2009, 19:48
Looks to be starting 1st May from their new hub in Casablanca Mohammed V International Airport in Morocco (CMN) under the new name Air Arabia Moroc probably using A320s 4 days a week 0730 departure

Alan Tracey
8th Apr 2009, 14:44
Is there any truth/fact behind the growing RUMOURS that both Germanwings and AsiaX are less than happy with their handling agent?

No!!

sam dilly
8th Apr 2009, 15:40
I also would say that I thought they were both very HAPPY !

Stanstedeye
9th Apr 2009, 05:05
When did Ryanair stop flying this route?
Last noted last month with a one-way price of £56.00

carpe jugulum
9th Apr 2009, 21:32
servisair, 5 ramp positions to go by end of may, more to follow october?:{ germanwings issue 3 improvement notices, dont sound very "quote me happy":ouch: swissport to purchase caravan as mobile locker room until they find a restroom they like;) light anyone:ok:

kingston_toon
10th Apr 2009, 14:08
Agadir finished at the end of March, sadly. I used it from Agadir in January and it was very well loaded, although I wonder how many of the others on board paid (like me) under a tenner?

GRIZZLER
12th Apr 2009, 06:25
Not sure why some of the companys dont just work from the smoking hut....it would save a bit of money not having to rent an office...and maybe 5 blokes jobs could have been saved.

Still look on the bright side.......you will soon stand more chance of finding a manager than a loader.:oh:

spirit of the age
12th Apr 2009, 09:30
So lets get this right, servisair is making 5 redundant? Then they interview for summer staff........and nobody can see the writing on the wall?This looks very much like 'lets get through the summer and then switch the lights out' http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/boohoo.gif germanwings issue 3 improvement notices--this is not the first time this has been suggested.However according to Aviance everything is rosey!!!!

newtownards
15th Apr 2009, 10:27
Hi Guys,
quick question, im flying into Stansted on friday, and out next Tuesday. I dont drive but is there anywhere around the perimeter thats walkable from the terminal to get some good pics? I seem to recall theres no where in the terminal itself and dont mind walking a mile or 2 if it gets me good pics

thanks

Dan

Skipness One Echo
15th Apr 2009, 12:31
I'm afraid not, Stansted is really tricky to spot at from on the Terminal side. here are some spots on the North side that are OK but you can't walk around from the Terminal.Spotting from airside is possible from the Ryanair pier ( Sat 3, the one on the right ), and you can simply walk back to the lounge if your flight departs from another gate.

As an aside, the bitchy girls with the "My Handling Agent is better than yours" and then all the silly smileys makes this thread read like a primary school bitch fest. Grow up ladies please.

GRIZZLER
16th Apr 2009, 12:13
is there any truth that T.N.T parcel service is to leave stansted buy the end of august and taking there operation to france...they will use smaller aircraft and most likely truck stuff over via the french ports......(as long as there is no fishermen about).... then swissport are to move into there cargo shed.???????????
:confused:

GRIZZLER
16th Apr 2009, 13:06
Maybe you should ask around when you get to stansted to see if you can get the number of the local anti airport brigade......as they seem to know all the good spots to take pictures....you often see pictures on the tv of an airbus or 747 cliping the arial on somebodys roof as it comes into land....and you wont even need a big lens.......good hunting.

daz211
16th Apr 2009, 19:00
TNT are not leaving STN...:=...

I know that TNT maintinence is closing at STN but the main hub and the
freight terminal will continue as normal.

The A300's are going and 757's opp by Iceland Air are starting
to serve STN and TNT will still be self handling.

The operation could not be done from France because of the service
issues eg- 0900, 1000 and 1200 timed deliveries.

Hollymead
16th Apr 2009, 22:02
Iceland Express leaving Stansted for Gatwick end of the month .

True Blue
16th Apr 2009, 22:04
Have Air Moldava also left for Lgw? Saw their flight come into Lgw on Tuesday night and their web site shows Lgw as the London Airport.

True Blue

MUFC_fan
16th Apr 2009, 22:08
There seem to be a number of airlines moving from STN-LGW/LTN!

I wonder why?:confused:

carpe jugulum
16th Apr 2009, 23:06
It's a cunning plan by BAA, drive away all the business, make the place worthless then they wont have to sell it.

Envoy320
17th Apr 2009, 08:34
Or quite the opposite....

BAA give various airlines a better deal at their airports and then they sell Stansted.....

makes sense!

GRIZZLER
17th Apr 2009, 14:34
I myself would agree with carpeys cunning plan...that the baa dont want to sell stansted......after all the fights they have had to expand since the late 1960s and now give up..nah.......and as for what envoy320 said......why would anybody want to buy a empty 2 mile strip of cement...with nothing going for it.....they could always turn it back into a caravan site...like it was many years ago.....or give it back to the yanks.

and as for mufc_fans comment...why are they all going to lgw/ltn...

you know what they say about the other mans grass being greener and all that.

They will return,tail between there legs.

carpe jugulum
17th Apr 2009, 16:32
Normally as soon as it gets foggy!:rolleyes:

compton3bravo
17th Apr 2009, 16:56
That is what most of them are doing now when they first left to go to Stnasted!

spirit of the age
17th Apr 2009, 20:17
Its always darkest before the dawn...........

The Smoking Gnu
17th Apr 2009, 20:34
Hope the sun comes up soon then!

carpe jugulum
17th Apr 2009, 21:36
It seems one employer is toying with the idea of clocking staff out if they want a puff, what next clocking machines on the toilets.;)

GRIZZLER
18th Apr 2009, 13:53
i think it will be a good idea to clock people out when they go for a fag...after all they are leaving there place of work.......but to clock people out for going to the loo...i think that will be taking the p**s.
:=

GRIZZLER
18th Apr 2009, 14:06
and another thing.......have heard that ELAL passengers dont want to fly through luton, they would rather fly from STN.....flight bookings are down already.
:{

Skipness One Echo
19th Apr 2009, 15:22
Would you like a straw to clutch Grizzler?

LTNman
19th Apr 2009, 19:41
and another thing.......have heard that ELAL passengers dont want to fly through luton, they would rather fly from STN.....flight bookings are down already.

Why would that be as there is a very large Jewish community not only at the London end of the M1 corridor but also on the rail link from London as it passes through the north London suburbs?

Google map puts the time as 29 minutes to Luton while it is 52 minutes to Stansted.

Is there still a large Jewish community in the East End of London where I guess Stansted would be a better choice?

GRIZZLER
20th Apr 2009, 09:36
not sure which route your google map was taking you to stansted, but mine said from the centre on london by road to LTN AIRPORT 55 mins and STN AIRPORT 1 hour 2mins........7 mins longer

if you go from liverpool st station to LTN its 59 mins and the station is still 6 mins away by bus....liverpool st to STN is 52 mins and the station is under the terminal...hopping distance....even with the biggest bag.

i think that makes us about equal.

apart from all the fog and snow you get in the winter that is.:{

ericlday
20th Apr 2009, 10:55
Airport equipped with suitable landing system so fog not too much of a problem. Just mention fog/snow at EGLL...even bigger problems.

G-APDK
20th Apr 2009, 11:49
It will also be interesting to see how LTN deals with an ELAL B777 as STN did this weekend, fully loaded - would it even get out?

pabely
20th Apr 2009, 12:26
GRIZZLER, the Jewish community does not live anywhere near Liverpool Street or Central London. It is at the bottom of the M1.

G-APDK, well are you saying a national flag carrier does not look into such issues?

Time will tell - as I hope the mud slinging will stop. We are in a resession and airlines are looking at cutting costs which Luton now gives the over Stansted.

LTNman
20th Apr 2009, 15:10
I used Stanmore for Google map as the place is full of Jews but so is Mill Hill and the surrounding area, which also sits alongside the M1 and the rail route to LTN. I am sure there are other areas of London that have large Jewish communities but I don't know where they are which might suit Stansted.

Skipness One Echo
20th Apr 2009, 15:39
G-APDK you clearly don't understand. "fully loaded" what ? With pax? Fuel? Pax and fuel? Pax and fuel and cargo? If so it wouldn't need max fuel to get to Israel. What do you mean?
Silly old El Al, not realising the length of the runway. Get real!

Envoy320
20th Apr 2009, 16:17
B777 from london to Tel Aviv.....

Full of pax....full of cargo.....

It still wouldnt need anywhere near full fuel to get there.....

Think of the range of a B777 - think of the distance to Tel Aviv....no comparison

ryand36
20th Apr 2009, 20:28
Hey

Does anyone know why there is no STN-Paris flight at all? I would have thought, as STN is a major London airport with the UK's largest LoCo's based there that there would be a few more flights to places such as Paris and Brussels. I know the channel tunnel is there to compete but EZY seem to do well on their LTN-CDG flight so why not something similar from STN? Maybe by FR to compete?

LTNman
20th Apr 2009, 21:04
Valid point, if LTN can run a service when the Eurostar is only a 22 minute train ride away from the airport why can’t Stansted run a service when access to the Eurostar means a trek across London.

davidjohnson6
20th Apr 2009, 23:01
To address 2 posts...

Jewish community in London is centred on Hendon, but spreads from Belsize Park all the way up to Elstree - a lot Jews in their 20s and 30s have ended up moving to Borehamwood. The Jewish community in the East End of London is really quite small now, and the number of Jews in places like Ilford is shrinking - Ilford is increasingly becoming more of an Asian community.

The dominant LCC at STN is Ryanair. I believe they tried a Stansted-Brussels Charleroi route a few years ago (Eurostar at the time were running from Waterloo) but that it was dropped fairly quickly, presumably because the train was still too quick in comparison. A Stansted-Beauvais route would probably have the same problems. Easyjet have been shrinking STN as it's not a great money-maker. Which other airline would want to run a STN-Paris route ?

ryand36
21st Apr 2009, 05:59
The only flights from London to Brussels are currently from LHR surely STN or LTN could at least support a twice daily flight? But obviously Ryanair found it unprofitable but maybe if easyJet operated the route into Brussels intentional they would have more success? Also does anyone know why easyJet sees STN as so unprofitable? They haven’t shrunk it that much there is still 14 A/C based there. They have just cut routes and increased frequencies on other routes.

Throat
21st Apr 2009, 06:22
Couple of points,

1) Brussels Airlines flys into LGW,

2) Did hear easyJet are transfering routes from STN to LGW( Any truth ? )

GRIZZLER
21st Apr 2009, 09:45
We will miss the ELAL at STN, but not the security that goes with it......yes i know we and they need it.....but they are well over the top....i hope you boys and girls at LTN have got a good sense of humour.....first empty your pockets...no chewing gum if found,mobiles are a no no...then body search including soles of the feet.....then metal detector search....when your zip fly goes off they want you to undo your belt and look in your trousers....i dont think they have metal zips in israel....they use velcro....on more than one occasion myself and three others have dropped our trousers at the top of the stand to prove we have no metal objects on us .....it was that or he wanted to put his hand inside to feel.......this is no joke ...it was that, or they would not let us near the plane...also a colleague has a metal gauze patch fitted over his hernia...that made the metal detector go off so he did not get near the plane ....and they follow you about as if you are on a day trip from gazza.....if they loose sight of you or you go near a vehicle you are searched again.....ENJOY.

and i have not met one yet that would win the MR or MRS personality of the year award.

davidjohnson6
21st Apr 2009, 09:57
and they follow you about as if you are on a day trip from gazzaWhat's wrong with England footballers from the 1990s ?

ELondonPax
21st Apr 2009, 11:49
ryand36 - VLM (Cityjet) also fly to Brussels from LCY

daz211
21st Apr 2009, 20:13
London, April 21 2009 – AirAsia X has announced that commencing 1st July 2009, it will increase the frequency of its flights between London, Stansted and Kuala Lumpur to a daily service. Since its inaugural flight in March, the low-cost long haul airline has operated five times a week between Stansted and Kuala Lumpur, but unprecedented passenger demand has led to the introduction of a daily service less than four months after its maiden flight. We knew this service would be popular but to increase the frequency so soon is beyond our expectations :D.

AirAsia X CEO Azran Osman-Rani said, “Our aim has always been to open up travel for all. The popularity of the London-KL route is further testament to the pent-up demand for long-haul travel, provided the fares are low and the quality is high. That is the combination that we at AirAsia X are offering our guests. AirAsia X is providing fares people have never seen before for these routes, and making travel more affordable and accessible. From KL people are choosing from over 122 AirAsia routes. We are also offering an affordable and alternative version of the ‘Kangaroo Route’ – all the way from London via KL to Melbourne, Perth and the Gold Coast in Australia.” :ok:.

tommyc2005
23rd Apr 2009, 10:28
PIA is still available to book going forward. Some upcoming flights are showing full. They have some excellent fares available to Dubai - £267 return, all in. Now that is a good deal.

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Apr 2009, 10:31
Seems we have some new posters who have not read the rules of PPRuNe. Rules that state you will not abuse, slander, libel, slag-off and make snide remarks.

In the last 10 (TEN) posts I have found the lot.

All of you know NOW that you stay on topic AND without casting aspersions or any of the above - OR you go back whence you came.

Behave in a proper manner please.

AA&R Mods.

spirit of the age
23rd Apr 2009, 18:34
So why is the PIA not showing at Stansted?

FEROMAN
24th Apr 2009, 04:34
PIA are taking a break until mid May due to very low loads and no indication of immediate improvement in bookings. Doesn't bode well for the future, but hopefully they will pick up again over the Summer

GRIZZLER
25th Apr 2009, 13:18
the talk is at STN that the PIA will not be back untill the end of september??????:{

FEROMAN
27th Apr 2009, 16:24
should keep them going for a while

spirit of the age
4th Jun 2009, 21:23
So just when is the PIA coming back to STN? Also noticed BMI a/c at STN today---divert or new route?????

MUFC_fan
4th Jun 2009, 21:44
I don't think PIA will be coming back any time soon. They are maxed out with their A310s at LBA, GLA and cameo appearances at MAN!:ok:

BMI are LHR and LHR only...most likely a charter flight.

sam1993
4th Jun 2009, 22:00
Also noticed BMI a/c at STN today---divert or new route????? BMI operate a charter flight to Santorini on a Thursday! :ok:

Sam

EBU42
5th Jun 2009, 13:59
Has the bar on Sat 1 gone for good? Used to be nice for a quiet pint and watching the action below. Anyone shed any light?

mickey71
6th Jun 2009, 22:42
bmi also start a STN-RHO in july on a wednesday departing at 1720 local and for a few weeks in august on a saturday ABZ-STN-PMI

newscaster
8th Jun 2009, 18:54
PIA have removed STN schedule from their website.

TUGNBAR
8th Jun 2009, 20:16
Obamas wing into Stansted - again -News - Travel and Transport - Business Weekly - Cambridge, UK (http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/2009060835054/travel-and-transport/obamas-wing-into-stansted-again.html)

:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Skipness One Echo
8th Jun 2009, 22:22
Mainly because it causes so much more pain at Heathrow. Sooooooo much hassle for so many passengers! STN makes more sense.

davidjohnson6
8th Jun 2009, 22:28
Mainly because it causes so much more pain at Heathrow. Sooooooo much hassle for so many passengers!On that rationale alone, why not make visiting bigwigs use London Manston instead ? Would cause hassle for no passengers ! :E

Alternatively, if (as it seems) the US Govt is finding money is a bit tight at the moment, land at Mildenhall, and by virtue of Obama being commander-in-chief of the USAF, the US won't have to pay any airport fees :8

johnnychips
8th Jun 2009, 22:39
Stansted is the airport where all hijacks are sent to. In that respect the British (and US?) security forces will have outstanding knowledge of it and can thus easily plan for a presidential arrival:and they are meticulous.

I don't know if this is apocryphal, but when either Clinton or Bush jnr dropped in a pub for an 'impromtu' pint with Blair during a visit, the place was cased out for four days before, checked for guns and poisonous beer/food etc.

FEROMAN
22nd Jun 2009, 19:49
Brand new airline Star1 starts a 4 times a week service to Vilnius from Stansted from the 3rd July.
Star1 Airlines - Home Page (http://www2.star1.aero/index.php/en/)

Should I fly with new airline Star1? -Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/your_say/article6553941.ece)

Hawker Demon
23rd Jun 2009, 16:53
Good to see STN getting some work in at last.
Does anyone know who there handling agent will be ?

FEROMAN
24th Jun 2009, 21:15
Looks like Aviance may have them

Hounddog1
27th Jun 2009, 11:45
Does not seem that Servisair get anywhere near anything any more... what has gone wrong with them???

TUGNBAR
28th Jun 2009, 07:50
Arrived back late last night along with many other fellow passengers and had to wait 1.5 hours for the baggage. I found out that the handling agent had just 03 baggage handlers on shift after midnight!!!

As an ex-ground handler, I know how it can be sometimes and maybe there is a plausable reason andthis is just a one off case however, upon speaking with some of the staff whilst waiting, it was apparent that this was a regular occurence after midnight.

Obviously Safety, customer service, and any Standard Operating Procedures, etc etc have completely gone out of the window for this handling agent.

Back in my day to handle a 737 you HAD to have a minimum amount of staff on each aircraft or the airline/operator penalised you however , back in my day it was exciting and enjoyable working for these airlines/operators ... LOW COST has literally changed it all.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who has experienced this or seen these and other handling agents working practices stretched to the limit.

I paid very little for my flight so naturally expected some form of low service but should this be allowed and accepted.

Do the BAA ever enforce anything for this sort of baggage delay or do baggage time checks on these airlines.

Musket90
28th Jun 2009, 08:41
BAA publish customer service stats on their web site for each airport and in regard to baggage waiting times the scoring is overall rather than at specific times, so if you arrive at Stansted most times of the day the scoring indicates reasonable waiting times.

It's a while since I've experienced a late evening arrival at Stansted and it wasn't a pleasant experience then. Too many flights and pax arriving in such a short space of time resulting in no one on stand to meet the aircraft so a delay disembarking, once off the aircraft joining the massive queue at immigration which was so long that travelators had to be switched off for health and safety reasons so people weren't queing on a moving walkway. Then to baggage reclaim -if it's after midnight then it's possible the late shift have gone home and leaving just a few nightshifters to deal with the many bags that need offloading from several aircraft. Also it's possible the staff sickness rate increases on Saturday nights leaving even fewer people to do the handling.

Lengthy baggage waiting times during the late evening at Stansted do occasionally occur for these reasons and if several flights arrive a little later than scheduled (after midnight) then this doesn't help.

Seat62K
28th Jun 2009, 13:49
Stansted appeared to be very busy late last night when I too arrived back - the queues at immigration (EU/EEA only) were very long and (for some reason) the ABC trial gates were not in use.

Although I was travelling with hand baggage only and can't comment on baggage delivery, I'd have thought that the large volume of passengers was predictable given the fact that airlines publish their schedules!

Perhaps there were fewer Ryanair noshows than normal.......(just kidding!)

davidjohnson6
28th Jun 2009, 23:07
Immigration queues for arrivals around 11 pm Saturday or Sunday evening in summer (particularly if it's the weekend after a bank holiday) are always long, and holding passengers in staging areas before they reach the immigration hall is surprisingly frequent.