PDA

View Full Version : STANSTED - 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17

adfly
30th Apr 2015, 11:04
It is good to see TCX and indeed TOM growing nicely at STN, and good for the airport as they become (a little) less dependent on Ryanair! Although FRatSTN you say in a post that there will be 3 based A321's during July and August but I do not think this is correct as there are ~36 shorthaul departures a week so if each aircraft operates 2 flights in a day the 3rd would be underutilised. While it could be a 'spare' aircraft of sorts it seems more likely that there will be 28 departures from the 2 aircraft + a few overnight flights + a couple operated by the A332 on the day it isn't flying long haul routes. Sorry to be a pedant!

LTNman
30th Apr 2015, 13:31
It might all be down to the fact that it is getting harder to get slots at Gatwick so Stansted is picking up business but whatever the reason it is a good win for the airport.

AirportPlanner1
30th Apr 2015, 13:52
I think there will be further changes, as some of the schedule doesn't quite work.

For example, Friday requires 4 aircraft plus the A330 (departures at 05:00, 06:25, 07:00, 07:05 and then the A330 at 10:20) but then there are gaps later for the 3rd and 4th aircraft.

Saturday the schedule fits perfectly for 3 aircraft and the A330.

I would guess a slight rejig rather than more to come but even so Friday would require one of the rogue flights to be operated by a non-based aircraft.

FRatSTN
30th Apr 2015, 19:27
Based entirely on their schedules, which I can see do need some re-jigging, it seems a 3rd aircraft comes down from Glasgow from mid July until the end of August (in addition to the A330 which also comes down from GLA, actually making STN a total of 4).

I wasn't sure if possibly a 757 might position into STN to operate Skiathos which is one of the Friday morning departures. It seems to be operating non-stop in 2016 (currently the return leg goes via Kavala as the A321 can't make it direct to the UK).

Nonetheless I expect it's more likely the schedules will be changed but definitely looks as if 3 A321's will be needed, even if/when schedules do change.

GrahamK
30th Apr 2015, 21:08
The 321 made it back to NCL nonstop most of the time from JSI last summer

7th May 2015, 16:21
What happens when over-hyped press releases meet lazy journalism?

This:http://m.cambridge-news.co.uk/Stansted-Airport-scraps-passenger-tax-children/story-26452005-detail/story.html

Families could save hundreds after Stansted Airport announced it was getting rid of a "punitive" travel tax for children.

The decision to abolish Air Passenger Duty (APD) means parents of children aged 12 and under who fly through the airport could now save hundreds of pounds on their holiday costs.

cornishsimon
7th May 2015, 17:59
Are flybe likely to feed the TCX flights at STN in the same way as MAN ?

I know the feed would be very limited, IOM, NQY, NCL but just wondered ?

cs

multycpl
9th May 2015, 10:24
OMG....
Well l finally brokedown and bought a ticket on the "NEW" Ryanair......:ooh:

Apart from the check-in page, so far l am impressed. Flight went well and the new (for every other airline normal ) hand baggage allowance was super.
Whoever is in charge of the rebranding. DONT STOP. Brilliant :D

Now except for Stansted itself. I havn't used it for a while BUT boy has this High Street, I mean airport changed.

Long queues at Security and WTF is all that winding, time taking you have no choice..even if you need to get to your gate now, frigging SHOPPING STREET all about ???:ugh:
Yes I know it makes money...BUT please please guys..

After waiting in a long line for security, I really don't want to spend 20 minutes getting through all the shops (Which take you in the wrong direction for the dam gates) Let me get to my gate as soon as I can.

Anyone know if theres a short cut through this crap and get to the gates that's not sign posted ??

pamann
15th May 2015, 06:59
Are we looking at additional services or just a change in capacity/aircraft i.e; A319 to A320 shift?

http://http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/Stansted-Airport-Scotland-boost-easyJet-adds-77/story-26503661-detail/story.html

carousel
15th May 2015, 15:26
Yep there is a very short shortcut, but you have to be staff to use it! I'm afraid Joe Public has to be tempted to part with cash as they pass along the "High Street" to the gates.

Joe Curry
15th May 2015, 21:32
http://http://www.hertsandessexobser...ail/story.html

I don't think we have heard the last of SSE (Stop Stansted Expansion),
they are a very powerful group of protesters who led previous owners BAA a merry chase in the past.

jdcg
18th May 2015, 15:29
I also passed through STN recently for the first time in a while. It is, quite simply, awful. It has been, for geographic and route reasons, my main airport for many years; but now I would seek to avoid it.
Security is worse than ever. I was running only slightly late but had to buy priority access as the queues were back to and beyond the barriers.
The departure area is a hideous and disorientating assault on the senses. And border control coming home is as slow as ever, if not worse.
It's a great sadness that the place has deteriorated so massively.

wings folded
19th May 2015, 16:52
I never willingly enter a tacky shopping mall, which is what Stansted has become. I certainly would not be a patron of a tacky shopping mall which made me queue for 55 minutes to be treated with outright rudeness by security functionaries when I finally got to one of the few lanes open, before being allowed into the ghastly emporium.

Escaping from that unpleasantness leads one to the rather disturbing realisation that their retail maze hazard course has pretty what doubled the time it takes to get to your plane, but they do not post the gate number any earlier.

So if you walk slowly because of a disability you are essentially stuffed.

I found the portakabin style sheds north side in the 1980s to be quite quite charming.

And as for the £2 per minute charge for lingering longer than the allowed time to drop off passengers in their "express" facility, it is barbarian greed; it must be the most expensive parking fee in the world.

If, again, you are disabled, you will end up being mugged by their quite outrageous charges.

The web site hails all of this as "improvement"

It is not; it is a fundamental disgrace.

flyingtincan
19th May 2015, 18:10
Stansted has indeed gone downhill since MAG took over. Maybe they can manage Manchester but they are are not up to managing Stansted as well.

And when will Ryanair tell them to get it sorted - after they have lost bookings?

LadyL2013
19th May 2015, 21:19
After our less than impressive experience at STN, we have decided we'll quite happily pay that little extra to fly from LGW.

Honestly it was like being in an airport manh years ago with long queues, rubbish atmosphere and lack of anything to do.

LadyL2013
20th May 2015, 08:28
Not to mention a duty free that's useless to most passengers due to EU restrictions....

NickBarnes
20th May 2015, 08:51
After my experience recently, I will no longer fly Ryanair or Stansted airport, it was awful, Still wasn't enough seating in the departure area, and arriving back we had to wait 35 mins to get through passport check, very poor!

Give me Heathrow Terminal 5 and BA any day

Teaboy24
20th May 2015, 09:10
After my experience recently, I will no longer fly Ryanair or Stansted airport, it was awful, Still wasn't enough seating in the departure area, and arriving back we had to wait 35 mins to get through passport check, very poor!

35 mins wait. That's a good day.

ATNotts
20th May 2015, 09:18
LadyL2013

Not to mention a duty free that's useless to most passengers due to EU restrictions....

Restrictions? No, liberties - since there is no such thing as Duty Free for travel within the EU, although you can't buy Duty Free, you can buy (usually more competitively), in shops throughout the EU tax, and excise duty paid, without restriction to quantity or value.

Something, incidentally, that will be lost if the UK leaves the EU. I'm sure the DF operators, and airlines will be rubbing their hands at that prospect.

Expressflight
20th May 2015, 11:46
These disgruntled posts must be music to SEN's ears.

LTNman
20th May 2015, 13:09
Well at least Stansted didn't come in bottom place in the Which passenger survey.

We have to remember that Ryanair don't like paying airport fees so MAG has no choice but to encourage the shopping experience and put as many retail units in that they can to earn an income and find other ways to raise money out of passengers. Most passengers will still chaise the cheapest fare regardless of the comments here so nothing is going to change at Stansted.

wings folded
20th May 2015, 13:59
What they are not bright enough to realise is that if, because of their pathetic inabilty to provide adequate security staffing levels, passengers have waited for 90 minutes to get through and therefore have no time to stop in their ghastly shopping mall

The other day I used the "facility"

Far from enjoying the fine shopping opportunities, most passengers ran through the labyrinth towards their departure gate (Those that could run, that is) I didn't see many slowing down to shop.

Teaboy24
20th May 2015, 15:00
Part of the problem with immigration queues is that even though Ryanair do not recognise "connecting flights", people still make two reservations to connect at STN. As a result everyone is in the same long queue even though some people don't actually want to enter the UK.

Until such time that the airport is redesigned to operate in the same way as LHR and LGW this situation will exist. Somehow can't see this happening soon.

All very frustrating for us that want to get back into the UK asap on arrival.

A connection channel would please MAG as transits would get to their shopping mall in departures quicker !!

LadyL2013
20th May 2015, 15:11
ATNotts,

When we went through Stansted, we were told that we were not allowed to buy anything at all from the shop if we were travelling to the EU. Considering that's most of the flights, I can't imagine it's worth it. That might be wrong, bug that is what we and many other passengers were told.

LTNman
20th May 2015, 15:28
Luton has one very small section within the duty free that is actually duty free for non eu citizens. It doesn't stop people buying items at inflated airport prices including tax. Maybe they still think they are getting it tax free?

TSR2
20th May 2015, 15:36
When we went through Stansted, we were told that we were not allowed to buy anything at all from the shop if we were travelling to the EU.

Unless there have been some recent changes, what you were told is wrong. If you are travelling within the EU, you may purchase anything at the Duty Free Shops except alcohol and tobacco products.

LadyL2013
20th May 2015, 15:47
Well that's what we thought. We wanted to buy some perfume, but they said no:confused:

pamann
20th May 2015, 16:13
LadyL2013 Who is 'they'? It certainly wouldn't have been the shop staff as they should know the rules which are correct as TSR2's reply.

bhx bod
20th May 2015, 17:00
All passengers no matter where they are traveling can buy Fragrances or other beauty products,luxury items such as jewellery,watches,bags or cameras and confectionery at tax free prices.
As mentioned before it is only tobacco and liquor that is restricted.
However you can buy liquor at duty paid prices if you wish.LHR used to offer tobacco products at duty paid prices as well,but whether they still do I don't know.
BHX used to as well but there was not much of a market for cigarettes at UK prices,so that experiment did not last long.

LadyL2013
20th May 2015, 17:26
pamann,

Yes, it was and even when we double checked they still said we couldn't buy it at all.

pamann
20th May 2015, 20:12
Never had a problem buying anything in the shops at any airport including Stansted when travelling within the EU, even when flying domestic (with the exception of cigarettes and booze). Someone obviously needs a new career if they're turning away business. Very strange :confused:

insuindi
29th May 2015, 11:10
Germanwings will, at relatively short notice, have their last flights on DUS-STN on Sunday 14JUN2015. Not a big surprise.

adfly
29th May 2015, 11:20
Sadly looks like a classic case of a large carrier muscling in on a well established route (AB/Etihad Regional flew STN-DUS for many years before) squeezing the other carrier off the route then ditching it a few months later leaving it unserved. Hopefully AB will consider picking it up again.

insuindi
29th May 2015, 14:09
I think the main concern was Ethiad attempting to establish itself as somewhat of a player in the market, which LH did not at all approve.

The whole Etihad Regional venture is a dead fish in the water at the moment, so the counter attack succeeded. I'd be more than surprised if we saw AB back at STN, given the choice of carriers from the DUS/CGN area to LON.

daz211
3rd Jun 2015, 18:49
Talk on the LTN thread that SK are to introduce STN-GOT is this true ?

LAX_LHR
3rd Jun 2015, 18:55
It is true, transferred from LHR.

SK2567 GOT0700 – 0750STN 736 x67
SK2567 GOT0725 – 0815STN 736 6
SK2569 GOT1750 – 1840STN 736 x6

SK2568 STN0830 – 1115GOT 736 x67
SK2568 STN0855 – 1140GOT 736 6
SK2570 STN1920 – 2205GOT 736

Taken from airlineroute

daz211
3rd Jun 2015, 19:01
Nice but guess Ryanair will want price war
Shame would have liked a total new route out of STN
say maybe Helsinki but hope it works out for SAS :ok:

LTNman
3rd Jun 2015, 19:14
SAS are going into Stansted with their eyes open. Not everyone wants a £10 fare so good luck to SAS and I hope they make a go of it.

wethersfield
3rd Jun 2015, 19:49
Rather than face the wrath of Ryanair, SAS should have gone for SEN where they would have no competition on the route and got fast transits through the terminal etc etc with slots and package to suit them.

LTNman
3rd Jun 2015, 20:08
Southend so far has a poor track record when it comes to keeping routes. SAS would be aware of that.

Angels-One-Five
3rd Jun 2015, 20:18
Legacy airlines rely on premium passengers.

MAG are very busy constructing two premium lounges in pier 1 in addition to the Aspire Lounge in ther terminal.

Premium passengers demand premium lounges. Not something Sou can currently provide

adfly
3rd Jun 2015, 21:24
Did SAS not historically have a fairly notable operation from STN? Norwegian also used to use it as their main focus point for London-Nordic routes so I guess there is a quite strong demand there, hopefully enough to sustain FR and SAS.

Itchin McCrevis
3rd Jun 2015, 21:30
Interesting that they consider going up against Ryanair at STN to be preferable to going up against Norwegian at LGW, can't help thinking that it won't end well for them either way but time will tell. Didn't SAS operate at STN as part of the STAR Alliance "experiment" many years ago?.

Saying that the STN flights appear to be just placeholders in their booking website and not actually bookable as yet - but that could be just a work in progress.

Or maybe it's a typo and they meant LTN not STN..??!:E

LTNman
4th Jun 2015, 04:57
Did SAS not historically have a fairly notable operation from STN? Norwegian also used to use it as their main focus point for London-Nordic routes so I guess there is a quite strong demand there, hopefully enough to sustain FR and SAS.

Back in those days it was Nordic inbound charter flights where passengers would book a holiday to London and would let the airline pick the airport to get them there.

AirportPlanner1
4th Jun 2015, 06:07
No LTNman, adfly is correct.

Between around 1997 and 9/11, SK had 3x daily CPH, 2x daily ARN and 2x daily OSL. Towards the end 2x daily LHR-SVG was also moved over. Additionally, BGO was also served daily through subsidiary Braathens, moving in from LGW. But, 9/11 happened and along with LH a hasty retreat was made with ops consolidated back at LHR.

Aside from the charters, STN had always been first choice for Scandinavian carriers until very recently. Norwegian as mentioned had a sizeable operation, but also just about every start-up has passed through (Color Air, Goodjet, Flying Finn and more besides). FR and EZY also had a Goidelic few routes between them, and CPH was of course an original Go destination.

LTNman
4th Jun 2015, 06:44
OK I stand corrected but I was going back to the 70's, but much has changed since then.

LN-KGL
4th Jun 2015, 07:26
AirportPlanner1, Braathens SAFE was not a subsidiary of SAS the period you mentioned. The merger with SAS started in June 2002 and BU ceased to operate under the BU/BRA AOC two year later. You can still find a number of the original BU routes and they are shown as SK4xxx in the SAS timetable.

wethersfield
4th Jun 2015, 09:05
LTNman - i think your negative comment on SEN poor track record on keeping routes is made with a tongue in cheek. You are well aware that EZY withdrew the 4 th aircraft which led to a reduction in destinations and frequencies as well as others being withdrawn for un-explained commercial reasons. Also that FLYBE completely decimated the DUB service when they took it over late last year. It carried 60000 + throughout 2014. The loss of these services can not in any way be due to poor service at SEN as you will know from reading this site for a few years

SAS considered SEN and were aware that for the last 2 years it has been voted the best UK airport by Which! readers.

Angels15 -you may not be aware that SEN has a First Class lounge which is due to be extended into the original Laker Bar following the opening of a larger Lakers Restaurant / Bar in the terminal. It has all of the facilities that most other lounges offer.

I have no particular interest in SEN but feel corrections should be made when necessary

whitelighter
4th Jun 2015, 16:18
Maybe SAS brass read the Telegraph

I've landed where? Misleading airport names - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/6262671/Ive-landed-where-Misleading-airport-names.html?frame=3327927)

NickBarnes
4th Jun 2015, 16:56
Well luton shows as 32 miles out, Stansted airport is 35 miles, and Southend is 42 miles out, so yes Southend is the furthest away from London

AirportPlanner1
4th Jun 2015, 18:50
Really depends where you are measuring from. From Canary Wharf for instance LGW is 10 miles further than SEN, and 13 further than STN. SEN is only 10 miles further than LHR

LTNman
4th Jun 2015, 19:00
The loss of these services can not in any way be due to poor service at SEN as you will know from reading this site for a few years

I never said it was due to poor service and acknowledge that SEN is the passengers favorite airport while STN and LTN sit at the other end of the table.

It would seem that this fact was not enough to sway SAS away from Stansted.

Itchin McCrevis
4th Jun 2015, 19:16
Wethersfield is right they did consider SEN along with STN & LTN - and they made their choice, whether it is the right choice (or even if there is a right choice) only time will tell.

Nice to see the "post BAA" competition dynamic appears to be working with all these airports announcing new carriers over recent months.

j636
15th Jun 2015, 16:39
2,049,613 - 2015
1,819,622 - 2014
+12.6%

Can see the growth has declined from mid 20%'s to just over 10%'s guess as FR will not be up massively in summer it will continue lower as they will have nothing grounded!

AirportPlanner1
16th Jun 2015, 07:30
I see that LGW have bagged Westjet, which is presumably just the sort of customer MAG would have been fighting for

LTNman
16th Jun 2015, 08:15
..and Luton has bagged Atlantic Star on the South Atlantic run. Are MAG asleep or are they talking too much rather than chasing the business?

pamann
16th Jun 2015, 12:25
LTNman, or should that be LTNfan?

I thought you'd grown out of this need to play 'My airport is better than yours' no?

Who is this well established airline 'Atlantic Star' that you speak of? I thought they had some records in the 80's (debatable), but an airline? Sorry never heard of them. As for the 'South Atlantic run' you speak of, sounds so glamorous, like some 1950's Comet route. I'd give it... A season at max. That's if it even materialises to be honest.

You seem to have forgotten very quickly how Stansted have bagged SAS the Scandinavian legacy airline, FlyBe - Europe's largest independent regional airline. Not to mention TUI/Thomson - The largest leisure travel company choosing Stansted over Luton (their home soil) to launch longhaul routes to Cancun and Sanford next summer. Then we also have the number 2 leisure and travel company launching routes to Vegas as well as Orlando and Cancun this summer.

I reckon MAG are chuckling to themselves that 'LA Cantrunanairline' chose Luton as their boutique airport of choice over Stansted. I think MAG have bigger and better aspirations on their horizon than some 'two bob airline' that no one has ever heard of to be fair. :ok:

How are the good old folk of Southend btw? Bored perhaps? :zzz:

LTNman
16th Jun 2015, 13:09
Please do check my previous posts. I think you will find that I am a Stansted fan as well as someone who frequently has a pop at what is going on at Luton:ok: I even said that SAS was better off at Stansted if you care to read the Luton thread.

Think it might have something to do with my PPRUNE name rather than my posts. Seems to have got you worked up a real treat!:E:}:E

pamann
16th Jun 2015, 13:31
Not worked up in the slightest LTNman. Just trying to point out to you that you're a much nicer poster when you play ball nicely rather than having multiple personalities when you post.

AirportPlanner1
16th Jun 2015, 13:47
Sometimes LTNman is a bit provocative/childish, but I have to say this was not one of those occasions and the response was unjustified.

While I have said in the past that STN is better off without La Compagnie and I continue to stand by that, Atlantic Star is a slightly different beast because of the unique market it will be serving so a bit more respect should be shown.

That said, missing out on an operator with 26 (?) rotations per year that are likely to be flying under capacity isn't the end of the world for STN and won't add a great deal to LTN's figures either. The principle of LTNman's post is valid though (or at least what I think he is getting at) in that it is another potential customer that has gone elsewhere and there have been quite a few of those.

Flightmech
16th Jun 2015, 19:47
..and Luton has bagged Atlantic Star on the South Atlantic run. Are MAG asleep or are they talking too much rather than chasing the business?

It's seems on the Luton thread that you think this will be a big deal/loss to MAG Really? A fortnightly flight to St Helena?

LTNman
16th Jun 2015, 20:06
Yes you are probably right. Did they even try for such a minnow? In fact if Stansted got the service would MAG even bother to mention it after their statement about long haul in the same way that AENA hasn't mentioned it either but it did put a smile on my face.:)

Itchin McCrevis
16th Jun 2015, 21:03
I suspect WestJet is the only real disappointment to STN here - if they weren't chasing them then their business development people need shooting as they made no secret of the fact they were planning a London service. Still it's a competitive airport market now and that's what happens. The boys from the North West continue to find out the hard way what its like to be a small(ish) fish in a big pond.

Saying that I am not surprised WestJet chose Gatwick (much lower risk - maybe actual, certainly percieved), however they still have to secure/buy the slots at Gatwick - but as a new entrant they will get some priority there.

NickBarnes
16th Jun 2015, 21:10
Yes that service wouldnt have much much of an impact, but not to sound like a famous supermarket advert......every little helps!

FRatSTN
16th Jun 2015, 21:19
STN are looking to attract something a bit more mainstream hence the likes of TOM, TCX, BE and SK being the sort of airlines (other than FR) that are putting new capacity into STN and not smaller start-up carriers.

MAG will be talking to airlines such as the major US and Gulf carriers, and probably some other short-haul legacies to go with SK.

STN's redevelopment project has still got a way to go and I wouldn't expect a major long-haul airline to come in before that's all completed.

Itchin McCrevis
16th Jun 2015, 21:24
It seems SAS came to STN as second choice because they couldn't get anything close to the slots they wanted at LGW.

FRatSTN
16th Jun 2015, 21:31
Itchin McCrevis

I'm not sure where you heard that? SAS to my knowlege had been talking to STN for a while and had quite a large operation from STN pre 9/11.

I would of thought a certain airline that has become a bit of a key player in LGW must have made LGW less attractive to SAS.

LTNman
17th Jun 2015, 06:39
I see Stansted is following Luton's lead by raising the drop off charge to £2.50 from July 1st plus £2.50 a minute after the first 10 minutes. Oh and a further £20 if you return in under 30 minutes.

It is the number one issue for complaints at Luton so I guess it will be the same at Stansted but it is a good source for revenue.

AirportPlanner1
17th Jun 2015, 07:07
To disprove that MAG are only talking to the mainstream, FlyToAlbania.com will be operating 2x weekly on Thursday and Friday nights from mid-July until September using Small Planet.

The website is one of the worst I have seen in a long time.

TOWTEAMBASE
19th Jun 2015, 20:40
China Southern cargo starts into STN this weekend, another major scalp that looked at LGW and turned it's nose up

canberra97
19th Jun 2015, 21:51
I don't think China Southern even looked at LGW as regards to their new cargo route from Guangzhou, it was Stansted from the start unless you have a link to state otherwise!

Itchin McCrevis
22nd Jun 2015, 21:10
I'm with Canberrra on this one - much more likely it would be LGW that turned its nose up at a freighter service if it was ever even approached. I can't see freighters figuring anywhere in Gatwicks ambitions and rightly so, passenger flights are much more lucrative.

daz211
25th Jun 2015, 14:06
So LGW has secured yet another Canadian Airline.
Air Canada Rouge and Westjet but with Air Transat on the LGW-YYZ
can all 3 survive along side each other only time will tell
But I guess some good fares will be available next year.

Anything in the pipeline for STN. I heard EK people were in enterprise house last week but that could be to do with MAG Manchester I guess.

LTNman
25th Jun 2015, 17:35
I flew Stansted- Toronto many many moons ago by Air Transat but they didn't hang around Stansted too long before retreating back to Gatwick. Seem to remember the aircraft was full.

daz211
25th Jun 2015, 17:48
I also flew to CANADA from Stansted well that was the plan
We were overbooked on FLYGLOBESPAN and were bussed to LHR and put onto AirCanada so the demand was at Stansted ... But I'm trying not to get into they should have chose STN because that's not my point.
I just can't see how you fill an A330 and 2x B767's each day
I think that at least one will have to decide to move to another London airport or pull the route all together but I am looking forward the the price war 😜

LTNman
25th Jun 2015, 17:53
Gatwick has always been a traditional route to Canada from the days of charter flights and having to be a member of a club.

daz211
25th Jun 2015, 17:59
Agree totally but last year I flew AirTransat from LGW-YYZ in May
There was at least 40 empty seats I just can't see how adding two 767's to the route can work but like I say I hope it does I'm not being anti Gatwick
Just a bit shocked they both chose LGW and didn't look at the bigger picture

AirportPlanner1
25th Jun 2015, 19:03
"I flew Stansted- Toronto many many moons ago by Air Transat but they didn't hang around Stansted too long before retreating back to Gatwick"

No they didn't hang around too long, just the 10-15 years!!!

LTNman
25th Jun 2015, 19:40
Thanks for the info. Wonder why they left then?

AirportPlanner1
25th Jun 2015, 20:13
They cut regional flights and focused on LGW, MAN and GLA. At one time they went to EXT (this was shared with STN for a few years), LBA and others.

STN had good links with Canada until more recent times. Through the 70s and 80s Wardair had regular service with DC10s and 747s, Worldways and others I can't remember came in as well.

Transat came in the 80s initially with dedicated flights and then shared from the late 90s to early 2000s.

Royal had up to 10/11 weekly flights to various destinations around 97/98 after being kicked out of LGW for poor timekeeping. They got back into LGW the following year but maintained 2/3 weekly flights at STN for a couple of years. So for a while there were two operators from STN to Toronto. I think Royal then merged with either Transat or Canada 3000, or went bust.

Thomas Cook flew to Vancouver for a summer around 2005 due to lack of slots at LGW. I'm pretty sure this operated over the school summer holidays either the year before or after.

Finally, there was Globespan and their daily service to Hamilton. Of the more recent links, this was the only one admittedly that wasn't a LGW outcast.

I'm sure I've missed some others, but although it should be noted the market to Canada has changed over time, flights from STN have always been popular when they have operated. I agree LGW has the larger traditional connection, but STN's place in the history of links should not be discounted.

Skipness One Echo
25th Jun 2015, 20:16
Just a bit shocked they both chose LGW and didn't look at the bigger picture
They looked at the bigger picture and chose LGW, the market is wayyyyyy bigger.

daz211
25th Jun 2015, 21:31
Time will tell like I said good luck to them all at LGW
But I still think a daily A330 and 2 B767 will be over kill
But I hope I'm wrong and price wars begin

FRatSTN
28th Jun 2015, 14:04
Anyone know why a BA 777 (callsign BAW9176) has just landed at STN from LGW?

TOWTEAMBASE
28th Jun 2015, 21:19
What year did transat fly out if STN. I can remember royal !!!

TOWTEAMBASE
29th Jun 2015, 08:10
The BA 777 went to diamond hangar for engineering

pamann
29th Jun 2015, 11:01
Royal Airlines operated on behalf of Travel Pack (who incidentally are still around) they now sell seats on scheduled carriers these days. This must have been in the mid 90's at a guess? They flew to pretty much all the major Canadian cities including Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal. If I remember right however it was a slot issue at LGW and the entire programme was shifted over to STN.

Air Transat were around with their Tristar for sometime previous to this before it was downgraded to a 757 operating to Toronto via Exeter. I think most of the UK regional routes were dropped when they ditched their 757's if anyone can work that one out?

I'm preety sure some of the other Canadian charter carriers used Stansted in the 80's.

Certainly wouldn't go a miss to see Canada back on the departure boards. But if a blood bath emerges at LGW next summer, I personally think I'd see one of the carriers ditching 'London' all together rather than just moving their London arrival point. Shame not to have given it a go mind.

G-ANPK
30th Jun 2015, 07:26
Well today`s (30/06/15) Air Transat flight into LGW from YHZ (TSC 282) is being operated by a B737-8 C-GTQB, Nobody mentioned these flights being operated by a 73-8

G-ANPK

AirportPlanner1
30th Jun 2015, 09:18
Another Canada connection I had completely forgotten about was Zoom, who operated to Vancouver around 2004 or 05.

Also Skyservice operated a couple of times per week in the late 90s for what I'm sure was more than one season, but I don't think UK pax could book on it.

adfly
30th Jun 2015, 09:47
The 738's fly Gatwick-St Johns-Halifax two times per week. In previous years Halifax has been weekly on an A310 and St Johns has not been operated.

j636
30th Jun 2015, 11:57
GOT increases from 2 to 3 daily from 15 September as FR announce base at GOT, surly SK time will be very limited at STN?

wethersfield
30th Jun 2015, 12:07
SK should do the right thing now and switch the service to SEN who will welcome with open arms

Itchin McCrevis
30th Jun 2015, 12:53
SK should do the right thing now and switch the service to SEN who will welcome with open arms

Luton would be a better choice in this instance as closer to the original Heathrow market and while still reasonably convenient for the pharmaceutical boys from Cambridge.

10th Jul 2015, 04:55
Is STN close to capacity at peak time in terms of aircraft movements?

Despite the changes, it seems to be very much above capacity in terms of space in the terminal.

STN Ramp Rat
10th Jul 2015, 07:33

I would totally agree, I took a day trip out yesterday. I arrived at the airport at 05:15, security was reasonably OK but the departure lounge was packed and flights were being gated earlier that planned to reduce the overcrowding. The issue was clear, one screen of the departures board covered about 30 minutes of flights but the last board covered the 0900-1130 time period. Stansted is by its nature very peaky. I am sure it will be better when the departure lounge is fully open.

The real issues was immigration in the evening, we touched down at 23:35 I made it to the back of the immigration queue at midnight and made it through passport control at 00:40. there were at least eight unmanned passport desks on the EU lanes but at least all the automated gates were working.

terrain safe
10th Jul 2015, 10:40

In terms of aircraft movements: no there is still capacity at peak times but it does depend on the direction after departure that everyone flies. If they all go the same way it is lower capacity and inbounds also lose capacity.

Plenty of room on the runway at the moment but next year may be different.

The terminal may be a different story of course!

FRatSTN
10th Jul 2015, 16:05
I've noticed slight improvements to the Terminal over the last few weeks or so in terms of overcrowding. Yes it still gets very busy but once all the shopping area is completed at the end of the year it will certainly open up a lot more space if nothing else.

Immigration on the other hand is a shambles but hopefully something will come of this: Government to hold talks with Stansted Airport bosses over passport control problems | Herts & Essex Observer (http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/Government-hold-talks-Stansted-Airport-bosses/story-26848536-detail/story.html)

rog747
11th Jul 2015, 17:13
there was a small direct sell? tour operator that operated from STN and SEN iirc called Tom 'something' holidays...tom Crawford rings a bell but i'm not sure

he chartered caravelles from aviaco and TAE/Hispania i think and he did majorca and spain etc.

anyone remember ?

there was travel club upminster and Burtsin travel (he started princess air with a 146QC) who all operated from STN and SEN with their own charters

daz211
11th Jul 2015, 19:17
Anyone know what EK3001 is doing at STN
Just seen it land very strange visitor but nice to see :D

Shed-on-a-Pole
11th Jul 2015, 19:58
Could it be a Premiership football team heading out on a pre-season tour? Several of these are on the move this week.

wallp
12th Jul 2015, 20:06
Did it have Arsenal players emblazoned on the fuselage? In which case it was taking the Arsenal team to Singapore

STN Ramp Rat
12th Jul 2015, 20:40
UK-based longhaul start-up Firnas Airways to use B767s - ch-aviation.com (http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/38640-uk-based-longhaul-start-up-firnas-airways-to-use-b767s)

it is suggesting its a Stansted based carrier !

Shed-on-a-Pole
13th Jul 2015, 00:04
Hmmm ... Firnas Airways publicity picture shows an A330!

Double Hydco
13th Jul 2015, 07:36
Did it have Arsenal players emblazoned on the fuselage? In which case it was taking the Arsenal team to Singapore

Yes it did.....

j636
13th Jul 2015, 15:21
June traffic up 11% to 2,059,164 (1,855,632)

http://mag-umbraco-media-live.s3.amazonaws.com/1001/stansted-airport-traffic-statistics-june-2015.pdf

daz211
17th Jul 2015, 09:19
Today saw the first of TCX longhaul program from STN
STN to MCO looks like they are using Hifly A332.

FRatSTN
19th Jul 2015, 10:30
Does anybody know how many aircraft EZY based in STN last winter? If I remember correctly it went down to 6 but this coming winter it stays at 7 following on from the summer.

There's definitely an increase in flights compared to last winter, mainly from increased frequencies on BFS, EDI and GLA, but I wasn't aware of an additional aircraft.

If this is the case, I wonder if this might translate into 8 aircraft possibly for Summer 2016 or if it will just continue to stick at 7?

Double Hydco
19th Jul 2015, 21:46
It's been 7 based aeroplanes since the last base downsize, for both the winter and summer programmes.

DH

FRatSTN
21st Jul 2015, 20:09
Looks as if TOM will be adding a second weekly flight to FAO departing on Thursdays in 2016. The Thursday flight to PMI is now showing as not being operated by TOM so I assume some re-jigging of the schedule will be neccessary.

Also, TCX seem to have added LCA but strangely only 1 flight on sale departing on 29th May and returning 5th June 2016.

daz211
21st Jul 2015, 21:55
TCX will increase Stansted - Orlando to 4 weekly :ok:

LTNman
22nd Jul 2015, 05:51
I was talking to a mate of mine in the pub last night who was having a major moan about Stansted.

He went to pick up his daughter at 1am from the express set down and pick up lanes making sure he didn't enter it before she was outside and waiting.

He said due to the vast numbers of passengers and the length of the lane it took several minutes before they could find each other. He then had to queue to get out. When he paid his £2.50 the barrier demanded another £2.50 as he was now one minute over 10 minutes. It took another minute to find the extra £2.50 by which time the machine demanded another £2.50 as he had now been there 12 minutes. Yes, Stansted charges £2.50 per minute after the first 10 minutes. At this point he rang the buzzer as he had run out of money but it was engaged.

He was eventually let out without paying any more money but it left a bad taste in his money and wallet.

lederhosen
22nd Jul 2015, 06:22
The queue to get through passport control on a recent visit was the worst I have ever experienced. Ryanair double digit increases in passengers seemed to have swamped immigration at Stansted.

23rd Jul 2015, 12:39
It seems to be a bit of a disaster zone. It's awful leaving in the morning (there's nowhere to stand let alone sit) and awful arriving at night (it takes ages to get to the back of the interminable passport control queue).

It's my closest airport, but the regularity with which I'm missing the last train while standing in the passport queue is making me think other airports might not be worse options.

lederhosen
23rd Jul 2015, 14:35
I have since booked twice via Gatwick, although on my way to somewhere north of Stansted, simply to miss the miserable experience.

daz211
23rd Jul 2015, 20:50
I also have chosen to fly from another airport for the exact same reason I normally fly Ryanair STN to ACE but the flight departs STN at 0715 no way am I standing in that Security line for an hour something has to be done and soon because if I'm choosing to fly from an alternative Airport take it from me there will be lots of others doing the same.
I'm lucky because STN and SEN are the same distance from my house and Easyjet have just announced SEN to ACE so not only has STN lost my custom so has Ryanair.

STN NEEDS A SECOND TERMINAL AND FAST !!!

wowzz
24th Jul 2015, 09:30
I'd rather just have more people on security and especially at Border Control [or whatever they call it these days] than a second terminal.
As other posters have said, I now prefer to drive an additional 80 miles and fly from Gatwick, rather than endure Stansted's awful queues.
Every time I read on this board of an extra flight from STN, it gives me even more reason to avoid the place.

Flightmech
24th Jul 2015, 11:31
I'm based at STN and now prefer to take the drive to LHR for business travel. Ridiculous going out and ridiculous coming back.

FRatSTN
26th Jul 2015, 10:24
The new Eurowings to operate daily STN-VIE.

Various sources in German, this is one of them:
Lufthansa-Tochter - Eurowings baut Flugangebot aus Wien deutlich aus > Kleine Zeitung (http://www.kleinezeitung.at/k/wirtschaft/4783975/LufthansaTochter_Eurowings-baut-Flugangebot-aus-Wien-deutlich-aus)

LadyL2013
26th Jul 2015, 13:17
The problem with STN is that it's a boring airport.

I haven't had to spend that long going through security since the 90's and when you get to the otherside there's nothing to amuse you.

Gatwick is quite a 'fun' airport in that there's always plenty to keep you occupied until boarding. STN is just cold and unfriendly. It is missing a certain something.

We went through STN last year because it was £100 cheaper than LGW. We'll happily fork out that £100 to have a better airport experience at LGW in future.

whitelighter
26th Jul 2015, 17:00
What would you like to amuse you?

There are now plenty of shops (too many for some it seams) and varied eateries.
I went through gate ice last month and it seemed the same - shops and restaurants

pamann
26th Jul 2015, 17:07
Agree that facilities wise it is just like Gatwick these days once you get through security. Getting through security is the big issue. Followed by getting back through Border Control. Otherwise Stansted would be a very pleasant airport. Maybe what it does need is a second terminal to relieve the pressure in these areas?

FRatSTN
26th Jul 2015, 18:54
I really do think it all depends on the time of day.

I flew into STN again very recently:
-The wheels hit the runway at 18:06
-Taxied to and disembarked at Satellite 3
-Got through passport control
-Reclaimed 4 bags
-Went over to Meet & Greet building to collect car keys
-Was at the exit barrier at 18:58.

At 52 mins that's pretty good going as far as I was concerned.

I do appreciate though that it's not always like this and fully agree their needs to be vast improvements in regards to the UK Border Force, especially for the late evening wave of arrivals.

There's very few issues with regards to security. I think in part the staff have been getting more used to the higher volume of passengers.

I don't really understand the "boring airport" comment but it certainly looks better in terms of what's already there. Maybe just a simple matter of taste?

Longer term I'd say there is likely to be further extensions to the terminal (similar to the most recent in 2007/8) to deal with the increase in passengers rather than a second terminal.

Nice to see how many people took interest in the new VIE route btw:E

daz211
26th Jul 2015, 21:30
I don't see how the can extend the terminal you have SAS BLU hotel one side and planning has been passed for a new hotel I think Hampton by Hilton on the other side sited in the current staff car park between the terminal and enterprise house

pamann
26th Jul 2015, 23:48
It's most definitely down to time of day. Well worth avoiding any arrival back after 2230.

As for the VIE route, this is great news. I guess those of us on here don't get as over excited as our 'neighbours' when it comes to new routes. Otherwise we'd digress and make a mountain from a mole hill on every newly launched route. :cool:

whitelighter
27th Jul 2015, 06:57
Standby for the 'euro wings should have gone to Luton/Southend' posts as soon as the usual suspects wake up...

LadyL2013
27th Jul 2015, 08:34
Whitellighter, I don't know. It's difficult to put my finger on. LGW just seems like a much better experience all round, it has a happier atmosphere. I know that sounds silly but I don't know how else to describe it.

I guess when you spend both your inbound and outbound mostly in security, it grates a bit. Wasn't even a busy time, arguably the quietest times!

jdcg
27th Jul 2015, 10:03
It's interesting that the takeover of LGW by GIP resulted in quite a speedy improvement in the passenger experience. By way of contrast, the takeover of STN by MAG has gone in the opposite direction. I know that there's a huge amount of redevelopment happening but EMA is also a very unpleasant airport these days so I don't hold out much hope.
STN was designed to be a much pleasanter airport experience but it just feels kind of trashed now. It's my local airport and LGW is much less convenient, but I now actively consider LGW much more than I used to. And it's true that Southend is a lovely experience, but it's catchment area is, in reality, very small and the range of routes is unlikely to improve. I'm sad they're cutting SXF.

LTNman
27th Jul 2015, 10:26
I wonder if Stansted will take over bottom spot from Luton in the next Which Airport Passenger Survey? I think last year there was just one percentage point in it but Stansed seems to have got a lot worse this year but then I suspect so has Luton but not to the same degree.

I think too many supporters of both airports see new routes and extra passengers as all that really matters. The reality is that Stansted and Luton can't really cope with what they have already got so I would much rather euro wings comes to Stansted with their unhappy passengers than Luton.

While Luton will be almost doubling their security lanes is there any such plans for Stansted, as that seems to be the biggest issue for passengers?

Skipness One Echo
27th Jul 2015, 10:37
It's interesting that the takeover of LGW by GIP resulted in quite a speedy improvement in the passenger experience.
And the other way around at EDI where it gets worse and worse....

Fairdealfrank
27th Jul 2015, 18:07
STN NEEDS A SECOND TERMINAL AND FAST !!!

As far as terminals are concerned, suspect that MAG will prioritise terminal redvelopment/rebuilding at Ringway.

TOWTEAMBASE
29th Jul 2015, 19:18
And the hotel isn't going between the terminal and enterprise house, it's going into enterprise house carpark, hence the extension around the tower

FRatSTN
29th Jul 2015, 19:37
Eurowings VIE flights now on sale. 6x weekly from 9th November 2015.

nt639
30th Jul 2015, 11:54
Have just returned from flying STN-CGN on Germanwings. Flight was at 7.55am last Thursday & we arrived at the airport at 5.45am, check in was 5 mins, then Security queue was about the same!! Didn't mind the walk through the shops & then breakfast in the departure lounge & then went to the satellite which was quiet with plenty of seating. Return on Tuesday at 4pm in the afternoon, Border control about 30 mins wait . Flights on Germanwings about 90% full both ways. Overall a good experience at Stansted.

RE: Eurowings flights to Vienna. When you go through the booking it says "flight is provided by Austrian Airlines"

TUGNBAR
31st Jul 2015, 21:50
FedEx cargo sheds have been evacuated due to a reported pipe bomb. Some taxiways partially shut to avoid the Zulu area.

TOWTEAMBASE
31st Jul 2015, 23:26
Zulus and pipes.......sounds like a job for Michael Kane :-D

canberra97
1st Aug 2015, 14:32
TOWTEAMBASE

I take it you meant MICHEAL CAINE as in Sir Micheal Caine the actor rather than 'Micheal Kaine'!

Sean

compton3bravo
1st Aug 2015, 15:19
Not many people know that!

Skipness One Echo
1st Aug 2015, 15:50
He only came to build an (air)bridge.

Oh wait that was Chard.

TOWTEAMBASE
1st Aug 2015, 22:20
No, I meant the one who invented oven chips......oh, wait a minute, he was Scottish :-D
Sorry Canberra, I did try but my phone decided it wanted to spell it that way so I gave up :)

j636
6th Aug 2015, 12:59
FR to open daily Sofia route from May.

pamann
6th Aug 2015, 15:23
Looks like FlyBe are to continue STN-NCL 1 x daily Monday to Friday through the winter schedule, with a switch to Logan Air's D328. I was expecting this route had been dropped so this is good news. :ok:

NickBarnes
6th Aug 2015, 16:52
Looks like FlyBe are to continue STN-NCL 1 x daily Monday to Friday through the winter schedule, with a switch to Logan Air's D328. I was expecting this route had been dropped so this is good news. :ok:

Not a D328, if you look at the website it looks as though the seating plan suggests a emb-145 as the emergency exits are in the correct row for a 145, suggests BMI aircraft to operate

Buster the Bear
9th Aug 2015, 20:55
Atlantic Star Airlines (London Luton) says the collapse with talks with Titan Airways (ZT, London Stansted) have forced it to defer the sale of tickets for its London Stansted-St. Helena charter flights due to launch in March 2016.

In a statement, the start-up said following the conclusion of negotiations, it had reached a draft agreement with Titan Airways to use its B757-200s to operate the route.

"However we received notification this week that Titan have unilaterally declared all agreements void and are no longer willing to operate the services," Atlantic Star management said in a blog post. "It goes without saying that we feel extremely let down."

Atlantic Star states it has been forced to delay ticket sales while a new charter provider is sought.

"We know how disappointed many people reading this release will be and we are hard at work engaging a replacement airline for the charter programme. This will take time, and we will keep our future customers and trade partners informed as and when it is appropriate to do so."

Titan Airways declined to comment.

St Helena's much anticipated airport is due to open due in February 2016 with British Airways (BA, London Heathrow) franchise holder, Comair (South Africa) (MN, Johannesburg O.R. Tambo), to operate weekly scheduled flights to Johannesburg O.R. Tambo using a B737-800.

pamann
9th Aug 2015, 21:14
I don't see any mention on their website blog suggesting that this pipe dream outfit ever planned to operate from STN? I thought the plan all along was LTN.

If Titan have severed all ties (if they actually existed in the first place?), that in itself speaks volumes. They're not even a real airline, just chartering aircraft and selling tickets, or not as the case is.

Angels-One-Five
10th Aug 2015, 16:28
Atlantic Star definitly was hailed as a long haul schedule whoop whoop on the Luton thread

Buster the Bear
10th Aug 2015, 18:45
Ryanair talking to IAG about transfer connections - RTΙ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/0810/720408-ryanair-in-talks-with-iag-about/?)

Posted this as mentions Stansted.

FRatSTN
16th Aug 2015, 18:24
TCX now have Orlando on sale for 10x weekly next summer :eek:

pamann
16th Aug 2015, 18:40
How does that work out then? Two per day on some days?

Looks like VS have missed a massive opportunity by not offering STN as an alternative to LGW if MCO really is attracting the masses in Essex.

FRatSTN
16th Aug 2015, 18:44
Its 2x flights on Fridays, Sundays and Mondays half an hour apart! Seems to be the Air Tanker and HI fly A330s.

Not convinced, it might be some sort of error at the moment!?

compton3bravo
16th Aug 2015, 19:19
Virgin out of Stansted - you are joking - aren΄t you!

nt639
16th Aug 2015, 22:48
Why would it be a joke, why should everyone in the east side of England have to endure a trip to Gatwick. Makes perfect sense to me. VS have certainly missed an opportunity. If VS can operate from Glasgow & Belfast why not STN?

canberra97
17th Aug 2015, 00:49
Nt639

I wholeheartedly agree with regarding VS, as you say if they can make Belfast and Glasgow work why not have a go at Stansted, there is a huge catchment area and there obviously is demand from 'Essex' crowd considering Thomas Cook are having such a success on long haul from the airport and also with Thomson joining them on long haul next year.

On another note when can we expect Emirates to 'finally' announce STN as their third London gateway, same as above there is a huge catchment area and a wealthy one to and not everyone wants to trek around the M25 to either LHR or LGW if their living in East London, Essex or East Anglia when STN could be so more convenient to them.

Sean

pamann
17th Aug 2015, 01:11
nt639 beat me to it.

If you told me 10 or so years back that BA would be operating to JFK from London City, I would have called anyone suggesting it crazy.

No jokes in aviation, quite a few unexpected surprises though. :eek:

Seljuk22
17th Aug 2015, 17:15
Etihad with a charter flight on 1st September

EY8033 AUH0515 – 1000STN 333
EY8034 STN1200 – 2215AUH 333
ETIHAD Plans One-off London Stansted Charter Flight in early-Sep 2015 | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2015/08/17/ey-stn-sep15/)

pamann
17th Aug 2015, 18:18
I wonder who the EY flight is chartered by or for? And why is a one off charter on Airline Routes Dot Com?

LAX_LHR
17th Aug 2015, 18:21
I'm not sure why this charter made it to airline route? There have been several A330-300 charters in the past few months. Qatar have ran a B77W charter from STN recently too.

pamann
19th Aug 2015, 00:33
STN-MBJ offered by TOM. Looks like a one off flight for 14 night durations packages available 23rd Feb 2016. :ok:

Angels-One-Five
19th Aug 2015, 04:00
Perhaps the Etihad charter is a trial of some kind

There are enough rumours bouncing around the industry about someone prepared to give a SS scheduled operation a go

gilesdavies
20th Aug 2015, 20:02
Thought you guys might be interested in this article on BBC Look East (West Edition) this evening, where they are holding easyJet to account on why after two years in, of their five year "expansion plan" nothing has happened.

The number of passengers with the airline has actually dropped going through the airport... They also go to mention that four out of every five passengers flying through Stansted are Ryanair passengers. (Never realised was that high!)

BBC iPlayer - Look East - West - 20/08/2015 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b065whnz/look-east-west-20082015)
(Go to 12mins 30secs into the programme, and it is only available to view until 7pm on the 21st August 2015)

There is nothing in the article we really don't already know, but interesting the local news would pick up this story.

Is there anyway MAG might be doing a bit of stirring in the background, and applying some passive pressure on the airline, by reminding the travelling public of what the airline committed too, a few year back?!

You guys might disagree with me, but I thought the article for local news was for once, quite well researched.

LTNman
20th Aug 2015, 20:14
MAG could be eyeing up those 3 easyjet aircraft that left Stansted for the Essex coast. With the best will in the world the move has had several setbacks as easyjet has had to drop and change a few routes as well as having a few operational constraints that don't exist at Stansted.

Saying that Ryanair can't operate out of Southend which must be to easyjet's advantage.

SWBKCB
20th Aug 2015, 20:52
Slow news day...

FRatSTN
20th Aug 2015, 21:16
Finally some recognition of this issue!

Since the video won't last, I'll quote what Paul Simmons, the former UK market director said:

"Whenever an airport changes hands, we want to try and get a good deal and relationship with the new owners, so now we have long term 5 year deal which facilitates growth with Stansted's new owners MAG.

We have 27 routes out of Stansted at the moment and recently we started adding longer routes to places like Egypt and Morocco, so this gives us a framework to expand further."

What absolute meaningless waffle that was!

For starters they only have 25 destinations at STN and even that breaks down into 21 currently and 19 for the winter schedule.

Turns out also if you weren't aware that they axed their route to Morocco on 30 May.

Really does come to something when an airline doesn't even know what routes, and how many they fly!

It also doesn't take a genius to work out that longer routes mean less flights and passengers per aircraft, which of course isn't mentioned there's only 7 of those compared to 13 only 4 years ago. How that can be concluded as "a framework to expand further" I do not know.

Goes to show they cannot justify this and it's just not good enough really. Now they are doing the same thing to FCO, despite actually being one of their faster growing airports in recent years.

Clearly not a very forward looking company and just ruthlessly chop and change as and when they feel like to squeeze current yields to the maximum.

Needless to say much more really.

gilesdavies
20th Aug 2015, 21:28
For starters they only have 25 destinations at STN and even that breaks down into 21 currently and 19 for the winter schedule.

Turns out also if you weren't aware that they axed their route to Morocco on 30 May.

Paul Simmons, the former UK market director said:

Im wondering if this if this an old news aricle, and today was the slow news day on when it was used.

You wouldn't usually put up a "former" manager to represent a company, so would appear he has moved on since doing the interview.

FRatSTN
20th Aug 2015, 21:36
Nonetheless, the point remains. If that is the case then that demonstrates further decline since the 18% accounted for.

LTNman
20th Aug 2015, 21:46
Also worth pointing out that after the MAG deal easyjet did a Luton deal. Maybe the Luton deal makes more sense to them and the MAG deal was used as a lever to get a better Luton deal.

Also do easyjet really want to take on Ryanair in their own back garden in a big way?

SWBKCB
21st Aug 2015, 06:10
We have 27 routes out of Stansted at the moment and recently we started adding longer routes to places like Egypt and Morocco, so this gives us a framework to expand further."

Really does come to something when an airline doesn't even know what routes, and how many they fly!

Is that quote from the same Paul Simmons that joined flybe in October 2013? People in glass houses....

I would imagine that any "expansion plan" would have been based on existing routes delivering the required pax and yield. Must admit I'm surprised this has made local TV news - just imagine if this happened every time Flybe had suggested expansion at a regional airport and it never happened. There would be no room for other news... :}:ok:

Seljuk22
23rd Aug 2015, 10:35
FR to open daily Sofia route from May.
Still not bookable on their website. Won't happen?

Skipness One Echo
23rd Aug 2015, 13:34
Clearly not a very forward looking company and just ruthlessly chop and change as and when they feel like to squeeze current yields to the maximum.
That's exactly and precisely Ryanair got to be a market leader. "Forward looking" is just marketing BS come on.

Is there anyway MAG might be doing a bit of stirring in the background, and applying some passive pressure on the airline, by reminding the travellng public of what the airline committed too, a few year back?!

I would be VERY surprised as this is not how business is conducted. MAG would put in place a charging framework to allow EZY to drive up yields at STN, however given the current focus on getting under one roof at LGW, I rather suspect they're concentrating on London elsewhere right now. Any route launch is a commercial decision for an airline usually, are the contractual terms public and are EZY bound legally to grow at STN? If not, forget it.

canberra97
25th Aug 2015, 03:49
I've noticed on the Stansted Wikipedia page that it lists Korean Air Cargo as operating from the airport, it also says the same on the Korean Air Wikipedia page, I know that you can't always trust Wikipedia but have Korean Air Cargo reinstated flight at Stansted and if so are they replacing their LHR cargo flights.

I am sure Wikipedia is wrong as someone on here would have posted it, so if anyone can confirm one way or another it would be appreciated.

autobrake3
25th Aug 2015, 08:10
The flight ops director at Easyjet is ex Ryanair. There used to be 18 Easyjet aircraft in Stansted, there are now just seven operating a much thinned out route network. Every one of the routes abandoned by Easyjet is now operated by Ryanair. Colusion or coincidence ?

Inevitably, there is no further room to expand at an already over stretched Luton where customer experience is dreadful and ground handling is a farce. Gatwick operations are bursting at the seams where further expansion would appear to be a foot shooting exercise. Recent rumours at Stansted suggest an increase in aircraft establishment for next year. I wonder if the Easyjet board have gone cap in hand to RYR and MAG to ask for some their routes back, after all Monastir was a great idea........

Skipness One Echo
25th Aug 2015, 09:29
Gatwick operations are bursting at the seams where further expansion would appear to be a foot shooting exercise
This is true of based aircraft, depending on fleet availability, Gatwick does sit half empty for large parts of the day outwith the main pain points, even with one runway being utilised to the max.

have Korean Air Cargo reinstated flight at Stansted and if so are they replacing their LHR cargo flights.
Not according to their own website.

Itchin McCrevis
25th Aug 2015, 20:33
Rumour control says that annual Festival of Irrelevance known as the the "Which? Airport Report" is due out iminently, the PR consultants are all salivating and racking up their daily rates:

Has Stansted managed to steal Luton's crown as "Britains Least Favorite Airport"?
Will Southend hold on to it's title of "Best Liked but Least Used Airport"?

we wait with baited breath

LTNman
25th Aug 2015, 21:07
Has Stansted managed to steal Luton's crown as "Britains Least Favorite Airport"?

Not defending Luton here but Stansted scored just one percentage point more than Luton last year. I can't see Luton scoring any more points this year and will probably drop to a lower score next year with the airport being a building site.

It is not difficult to already know what Luton's excuses will be but what defense will Stansted put up?

As for Southend? With a little used terminal I would expect them to come top but passengers are not heading for the coast to experience the delights of Southend, in fact numbers are dropping so the airport will probably get an even high score this year.

Seljuk22
2nd Sep 2015, 16:54
37 based aircrafts and 3 new routes (MXP, VRN & SOF) next summer
Welcome to Ryanair! (http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/15902-ryanair-launches-london-summer-2016-schedule-unveils-next-phase-of-always-getting-better-programme/?market=en)

davidjohnson6
2nd Sep 2015, 17:25
Looking at routes Ryanair operated over 2015 plus all the new routes beginning later this year and next year, I count 136 routes. Press release indicates summer 2016 will have 129 routes, suggesting 7 routes at Stansted may not be served in summer 2016.

Apart from Grenoble, the following routes do not appear to be scheduled yet for summer 2016

Tampere - possibly ends 24-Oct-2015
Clermont-Ferrand - possibly already ended
Rodez - possibly ends 03-Nov-2015
Strasbourg - possibly ends 24-Oct-2015
Haugesund - possibly ends 23-Oct-2015
Skelleftea - possibly ends 21-Oct-2015

Strasbourg may be linked to Karlsruhe. Tampere, Clermont-Ferrand, Rodez, Haugesund and Skelleftea are all likely candidates for no flights to Stansted in summer 2016

daz211
10th Sep 2015, 14:00
21.9m passengers flew from STN in the last 12 months, an increase of 16.3% - the highest rate of annual growth of any major UK airport.

Stansted had the busiest August since 2008, the 17th consecutive month of traffic growth.

The average load factor - the number of seats occupied on each flight - hit an all-time high of 93.5% in Aug as 2.2 million passed through.

FRatSTN
10th Sep 2015, 20:59
A mixed bag from EZY's S16 at STN.

Disappointing to see some slight frequency reductions it seems on AGP and PMI and, as may have been expected, no continuation of KEF into the summer.

However, very slight increase overall thanks to the continuation of winter additions on AMS, BFS, EDI and GLA. Those 4 routes alone will now account for about 1/2 of EZY's traffic at STN.

Also seems to be some changes to the general timings with a better spread of flights through the day, helping somewhat to fill the quieter off-peak periods, particularly mid-afternoon.

wowzz
11th Sep 2015, 13:59
More passengers = more queues at Border Control, less seating, longer queues at security etc.
Am I the only one who would like to see STN's pax figures fall, so as to make the airport once again the pleasant [relatively] place it was 10 years ago?

turbroprop
11th Sep 2015, 14:12
Hi Wowzz

I am with you. Stansted is the most depressing airport to pass through. I am helping your cause and helping reduce the pax numbers. I have started using East Midlands.

FRatSTN
21st Sep 2015, 19:24
The new retail outlets for the final phase were announced today:

Stansted names 18 new shops in final retail phase | Travel Retail Business (http://www.trbusiness.com/regional-news/europe/stansted-names-18-new-shops-in-final-retail-phase/95310)

LTNman
23rd Sep 2015, 05:37
I see that Stansted and Luton are tied at the bottom of the list with a 40% customer score in the latest Which airport survey. I was going to post this on the Luton thread but as they were already bottom the shame can't get any worse.

I might be wrong but I seem to remember that last year Luton was bottom with 38% and Stansted scored 39% so at least they are both going in the right direction!

FRatSTN
24th Sep 2015, 16:52
I don't take too much notice of passenger surveys/reviews as they're not at all representative of how many people go though the airport, or indeed are rated on what actually influences people's choice of airport... however worth noting that after almost entirely awful reviews for STN on Skytrax for a while now, I notice the most recent 3 are positive.

I can't say I'm really surprised, a noticeable improvement as of late. I think in part it's due to winding down after the busy summer period, but still much better nonetheless.

I've noticed the route through the new shopping area has now opened up (albeit most of the new shops are not open yet), giving more space. Noticeable increase in seating availability and overall a more relaxed feel. Looks much more complete and increasingly less like a building site. Passport control getting marginally better on the whole too.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but definitely an improving picture.

AdamThePassenger
24th Sep 2015, 22:50
Just out of interest, does anyone know if the Newquay route will be back next year?

Adam

NickBarnes
25th Sep 2015, 07:46
The Newquay route carried 3511 pax in August not sure how that works out LF wise

Isle of man was 6070
Newcastle was 4619

Wycombe
25th Sep 2015, 08:09
I work NQY out as 73% LF, assuming a Q400 operating daily.

planedrive
1st Oct 2015, 18:33
Looks as though easy are withdrawing from this route from November. Could this be as a result of the war down the road in LTN? Bit of a shame that there is now no connection between Stansted and CPH.

Any chance this could see a seasonal return next summer?

cornishsimon
1st Oct 2015, 19:24
NQY-STN 73% for AUG on a first year route isn't a bad start ?
would of thought that its likely to return for 2016 ?

cs

mikkie4
1st Oct 2015, 22:40
If the STN-CPH cant work out of Stansted could it work out of SOUTHEND?

pamann
1st Oct 2015, 22:58
I'd say that both EZY and FR are over-saturating the market over at Luton. This is a route that LTN hadn't seen since the days of Debonair, if demand was so high why did no one take up the route after Debonair failed? There is such over capacity on the route that seats can often be found for £9.99 each way or less. It's not about supply and demand for an existing market, but creating a false market until someone gives up. Therefore any airline starting at STN or SEN would be crazy IMHO as it stands at present. The LON-CPH route is clearly over-served at present.

With reference to STN-CPH with EZY, weren't they supposed to drop it last year well ahead of announcing the LTN service? I believe they carried it on a reduced schedule of 2/3 rotations a week (correct me if I'm wrong), it used to operate at least twice a day if I remember right?

AirportPlanner1
2nd Oct 2015, 06:27
7/8 x daily at LTN isn't sustainable, fact. There will not be that level of service in 2 years time, probably sooner.

What will probably play out is FR move the service to STN, frequency will probably remain because they are also fighting Norwegian at LGW. Frequency at LTN by EZY will reduce to 2x daily, then 1x daily or dropped altogether. SEN would work I feel, but only if EZY attempt to stay in the market with the ease of SEN as their USP.

There are of course other externalities that could affect things, such as FR having such a spat with the unions in Denmark it is impossible for them to continue.

LTNman
2nd Oct 2015, 08:05
I can't even see the reason for this dog fight at Luton. Ryanair are entrenched at Stansted and have never expressed a desire to expand their Luton operation so why take on easyjet at their home base when they could quite easily do battle from Stansted?

Itchin McCrevis
2nd Oct 2015, 20:34
Ryanair are entrenched at Stansted and have never expressed a desire to expand their Luton operation

How do you know that's true? - they may not have said anything publically but who knows what goes on behind closed doors - if you notice Luton has never had a tendency (unlike some) to declare its business before things are finalised - quite the opposite, it always waits until (or normally after) routes are are announced by the carriers. Also isn't the current CEO of Luton ex-Stansted - do we not think he will try to leverage any previous relationship he may have had with Ryanair (by comparison people seem to think it is only natural that the new Southend Boss will try to leverage his previous relationship with Wizz)?

I can't even see the reason for this dog fight at Luton.

I can see a few possible reasons:

EZY kept a token STN-CPH service for a time because:
1. substantial marketing support funds on the route would have been terminated or repayable to CPH if they had ceased the route completely before a certain date
or
2. they wanted to stop new route support funds becoming available (to RYR) if they allowed CPH-STN become a "new route" again (i.e. in competition with LTN).

Why did Ryanair choose Luton? - again there could be reasons:

1. Both carriers somehow qualified for new route support for CPH-LTN (but Ryanair could not for CPH-STN)
2. It was pure devilment by RYR to spoil EZY's party
3. the route planners in both these highly successful airlines have no clue what they are trying to achieve

7/8 x daily at LTN isn't sustainable

Maybe, just maybe, EZY are trying to send a signal to RYR to move it over to STN out of their hair - however having unexpectedly got their hands on it all will Luton let RYR go without a fight (what would you do?).

You can't ever say aviation is a dull business.

On the subject of Scandinavia is the SAS STN - Gothenburg floundering?

pamann
3rd Oct 2015, 00:00
On the subject of Scandinavia is the SAS STN - Gothenburg floundering?

The route doesn't start until the end of the month. 26th

Itchin McCrevis
3rd Oct 2015, 11:03
Sorry should have been clearer - SAS website is not the best but I could only find 1 daily flight up to new year and nothing after that.

NickBarnes
3rd Oct 2015, 11:50
In able to book 1st of Feb - 4th Feb for 68 pound return, so SAS still very much around

Itchin McCrevis
4th Oct 2015, 13:03
ok well done - and is it still twice daily?

nigel osborne
4th Oct 2015, 15:03
Wow.. I seem to remember SAS starting out of STN at least once before hope it works this time ?

Nigel

NickBarnes
4th Oct 2015, 17:22
Hi, if I look at that particular week it shows it with flights operatating Sun, Mon, Wed, Thur and Fri

daz211
9th Oct 2015, 10:52
Eurowings has revised planned new service from Vienna, due to commence from 09NOV15. Planned new Vienna – London Stansted will be operating up to 9 weekly starting 04DEC15, instead of planned 6 weekly.

Further, all service will now be operated by Eurowings A320Sharklet (32A) aircraft, instead of previously planned Austrian A320.

EW5830 VIE0625 – 0735STN 32A 135
EW5832 VIE1815 – 1925STN 32A x6

EW5831 STN0825 – 1130VIE 32A 135
EW5833 STN2005 – 2310VIE 32A x6

daz211
13th Oct 2015, 12:17
Passenger numbers at Stansted Airport are still soaring, topping 22 million in a year for the first time in almost seven years.

And the total number of travellers on each flight last month were at record levels for any September in the Airports history.

The 22m milestone comes just eight months after the 20m-a-year barrier was breached as the total number of passengers passing through the terminal increased by 15.8 per cent in the last 12 months.

The number of passengers using Stansted in September was up nine per cent on the same month last year as the airport served over two million passengers for the fifth consecutive month, the first time this has been achieved since 2008.

Read more: http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/Sky-high-passenger-numbers-Stansted-Airport-22m/story-27966711-detail/story.html#ixzz3oRvrqc7o
Follow us: @HertsEssexObser on Twitter

LTNman
13th Oct 2015, 15:11
All they have got to do now it improve the woeful customer experience like its Bedfordshire neighbour. Could the experience ever be as good as Gatwick which seems to tick most peoples boxes?

daz211
15th Oct 2015, 18:16
Users of Stansted know that the terminal is at bursting point at peak times and security and immigration is a nightmare.

My question is how many passengers was the terminal designed to handle, at 22.5 million passengers and approaching the milestone figure which should once again put Stansted back in 3rd place of UK busiest Airports what are the plans for the future regarding a 2nd terminal ?

Passengers including myself are now turning away from Stansted as a local convenient Airport and using Southend and even Gatwick.

If Stansted is to attract new Airlines and Longhaul routes surely there must be a plan in the pipeline :ugh:.

j636
15th Oct 2015, 18:30
Daz

The exact same that happened to MAN, 10-15 years away.

They are getting all these passengers but are MAG benefiting much interms of revenue as most suspect FR got a handly deal as they had little options for growth.

wowzz
18th Oct 2015, 22:04
For the normal reasons [queues, lack of seating, border control chaos etc] I have avoided STN for the last couple of years. I have just returned from a round trip through STN, and to be fair the experience was not too bad, but I did travel out mid- morning and return mid-afternoon, so outside the peak periods. Even so, the lack of seating, even mid-morning, was noticeable.
What I found amusing, was that after passing through security, and traipsing through the shopping 'experience' was to see the numerous posters telling me that I could turn round and return to the shops!
I get the feeling that the retailers at the beginning of the 'shopping experience' are feeling a little aggrieved that their potential customers are walking straight past their premises, in search of a seat and a cup of tea.
Of course, in the old 'pre-improvement' days, you could sit down, have a cup of tea, and the shops would be all around you! No need to walk back 50 yards against the traffic flow in order to buy a gigantic Toblerone as is the case now.

davidjohnson6
19th Oct 2015, 20:43
There is talk elsewhere on the web of virtual airline running scheduled flight between Stansted and Osijek. It seems the bulk of Sea Air's flights would be based around Osijek, Sarajevo and Mostar.

Yes I know Ryanair operate Stansted-Osijek from late March to late October.

Sea Air seem to use 3 different airlines to operate their flights - I've never heard of the three airlines and they are not even mentioned on Wikipedia.

It all seems like an outfit that is very different to most profitable airlines, but am happy to be persuaded otherwise. Seems too well put together to be a school project. Is anyone able to say anything about them from first hand knowledge ? (I can type stuff into Google as well)

daz211
29th Oct 2015, 15:07
Turkish Airlines Starts cargo operations from Stansted Airport to further swell the Essex hub’s freight fraternity.

Turkish joins international heavyweights that include China Southern Airlines and Qatar Airways as the fifth carrier to be added to the cargo network since MAG (Manchester Airports Group) took over ownership of Stansted in March 2013.

The upsurge in operators has seen the airport’s cargo tonnage rise in the past 12 months by 9.5 per cent to hoist the annual total to over 235,000 tonnes.

The new Istanbul link is Turkish Airlines’ first UK all-cargo flight for six years and will see an Airbus A310 fly a weekly service to Stansted from Istanbul’s Ataturk airport via Amsterdam.

Conan Busby, MAG Cargo Business Development Manager, said: “We're delighted that Turkish Airlines has selected the modern, world class cargo facilities at Stansted from which to operate their first UK freight services for six years.

EI-BUD
29th Oct 2015, 17:03
Ezy and FR on CPH... This is an odd one. I concur with previous poster re devilment on FR's part. Traditionally, FR have selected routes ex LTN not served by ezy or secured routes in a bilateral fashion that ezy didn't get, e.g. Malta. Same is the case at STN, ezy selects routes not traditionally on FR's radar. Like AMS, CPH ( now being withdrawn), Ljubljana, Bilbao, Rekyjavik etc. So in a sense been quite niche in approach. other cases ezy have moved routes to LGW where Ryanair have moved onto like Tallinn..

While the 2 have Co existed on many route pairs like ex BFS and LPL etc. With both collecting reasonable fares and realistic scheduling, now it seems Clear FR are putting down a marker, like a move onto STN domestics. Ezy cannot withdraw in all instances and for LTN, their home turf, they have to hold strong... The FR challenge will only intensify...

Tranceaddict
29th Oct 2015, 17:08
I notice in the article below that FR are in talks with IAG at STN?

As far as I am aware there are no IAG airlines st STN are there?

Ryanair names potential international partners (http://www.impactpub.com.au/micebtn/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19772:ryanair-names-potential-international-partners&catid=15:btn-news&Itemid=50)

chaps1954
29th Oct 2015, 17:18
MAG must be very happy with STN looking at 22m+ and MAN on track for 25m+ next year

Ian

whitelighter
29th Oct 2015, 19:10
I notice in the article below that FR are in talks with IAG at STN?

As far as I am aware there are no IAG airlines st STN are there?

Ryanair names potential international partners

No, but who to say what will happen with AL - perhaps a lower cost TA offering from STN freeing up valuable LL slots for BA/IBERIA

Itchin McCrevis
29th Oct 2015, 20:27
I notice in the article below that FR are in talks with IAG at STNoops I think you just started a rumour....:uhoh: or at least you would have done if Buster the Bear had not posted the exact same thing back in August.

MAG must be very happy with STN looking at 22m+very relieved more likely..after paying £1.5Bn for the place they need all those customers and more through their new shopping mall

SK2567 GOT0700 – 0750STN 736 x67
SK2567 GOT0725 – 0815STN 736 6
SK2569 GOT1750 – 1840STN 736 x6Looks like my friend in Gothenburg was right about the SAS operation - they seem to be operating just one flight per day in the middle of the day instead of the 12 weekly business return schedule originally planned. To make matters worse apparently the SunAir/BA service out of Cambridge has poached much of the lucrative Pharmceutical traffic leaving them scrapping for mainly leisure passengers against Ryanair - hmm I wonder how that will end...

intortola
30th Oct 2015, 20:39
I see there is a SAS flight to STN tonight. Is that a one off or is the schedule now double daily ?
SK2567 is this evenings flight which the above schedule shows as a morning flight

Itchin McCrevis
30th Oct 2015, 21:03
SAS Flight times vary but are mostly early afternoon, departures from STN are:

MTWT 1315
F 2025
S 1125
S 1435

Paphian
2nd Nov 2015, 06:29
I agree, I am a wheelchair passenger, In August I was late being taken through delay at Security, then we were rushed through to the gate, my wife who is 75 had to run to keep up, and had an Asthma when we got to the gate, then we were kept waiting on the tarmac to board the plane which subsequently had to have a repair to the Engine. We should have refused to fly and asked for a Doctor but we were going to a wedding.
Also on another occasion The Airport wheelchair tested positive for drugs!!! more delays Four flights in and out of Stansted, each had problems, not even an apology from Ryanair. were given a questionnaire by an IATO rep, who said there had been several breaches of regulations

SealinkBF
10th Nov 2015, 18:22
I keep on forgetting what a horrible airport this is.

Rude security staff who left a woman in tears, who also barked orders at me and the rest of the cattle in security, while the joke that is fast track security asked me "What am I supposed to do with that?" When I showed her my pass. I mean, customer service is a thing that many other airports get right.

But then mugs like me forget and see the cheap flight and think "Maybe last time was the exception."

Habana2118
11th Nov 2015, 09:41
Anyone aware of which handling agent handles the new SAS and Eurowings services?

AirsideOps787
15th Nov 2015, 10:24
Swissport are the chosen handler for both SAS and Eurowings...

FRatSTN
15th Nov 2015, 13:55
Looks as if TOM must be pleased with their long-haul bookings from STN.

Cancun is to operate year-round and now bookable till April 2017
Florida comes back from first week in April 2017 - earlier than 2016 as doesn't start until May
Is also a one-off flight to Barbados in November 2016

Short-haul offering so far looks broadly similar, if not unchanged, from the current W15/6 offering.

whitelighter
16th Nov 2015, 05:36
So looking at the TC booking site it appears Orlando is Daily starting July14th through to September 10th with 2 flights available on Mondays, Fridays and Sundays.

Cancun weekly on Saturdays and Las Vegas on Thursdays.

does suggest they will have two wide bodies based at the airport plus three A321s.

With the TOM 787 mentioned above that's a pretty decent long haul offering. I hope the terminal can cope

LadyL2013
16th Nov 2015, 08:48
Considering I went through STN in peak season and it was dead with most gates not inuse, I'd certainly hope they could cope!

canberra97
16th Nov 2015, 11:03
LadyL2013

You say peak season but at what time of day did you travel?

Have you experienced Stansted in the mornings I can assure you it's not a pleasant experience!

LGWAlan
16th Nov 2015, 13:22
According to the "info" concerning their flights on their own website, one will be the Air Tanker A332 and the other will be Hi-Fly

LadyL2013
16th Nov 2015, 20:02
It was a Saturday at about 9.30am, Canberra.

wowzz
16th Nov 2015, 21:47
9:30 am is not really peak time for STN. If you had been there 4 hours earlier you would have seen the real crowds prior to the post 6:00 am departures.

FRatSTN
21st Nov 2015, 20:02
New Danish start-up Airnavia to serve Aalborg using Danish Air Transport, 4x weekly starting 02/05/2016.

Mon, Wed, Fri
Dep. STN 09:30, Arr. AAL 12:00
Dep. AAL 07:00, Arr. STN 07:30

Sun
Dep. STN 17:00, Arr. AAL 19:30
Dep. AAL 14:30, Arr. STN 15:00

I've never come across this airline, hopefully it will last... or even take-off!

LTNman
21st Nov 2015, 20:51
Two hours on the ground at Stansted for a small prop. :eek: Not going to be a low cost operation is it.

Expressflight
22nd Nov 2015, 08:07
It's an MD83 isn't it?

Buster the Bear
22nd Nov 2015, 11:00
Virtual airline using DAT MD83s.

GrahamK
22nd Nov 2015, 11:22
I thought DAT haad retired the MDs and were now using 320s?

daz211
3rd Dec 2015, 16:29
Article from Twitter

Stansted Airport is to sign a full-service airline in 2016, its owner said, as London's runway capacity squeeze pushes traditional carriers towards the British capital's third busiest hub and the UK home of budget operator Ryanair.

In London, traditional airlines such as British Airways have concentrated on the country's busiest airport Heathrow. But Heathrow is full, and awaiting permission to build a new runway which won't be ready until 2025 at the earliest.

Passenger demand for travel to and from London continues to rise, however, putting Stansted, primarily a base for low-cost and charter airlines, on track to announce a deal with a full-service or legacy carrier, according to its owner Manchester Airports Group (MAG).

MAG chief executive Charlie Cornish said that Stansted, about 40 miles (65 km) northeast of London, was in "deep discussions" with legacy airlines. "We are talking to a whole host of legacy carriers," he said in an interview on Thursday.

"I think as we hit 2016 we'll be able to confirm that we've secured some full-service carriers."

Cornish said he expected long-haul destinations to include Middle East hubs and U.S. cities, adding that legacy carriers were also interested in launching short-haul destinations from Stansted.

Itchin McCrevis
3rd Dec 2015, 17:49
I think we can interpret this as "despite our best efforts we have nothing to announce - but we are really praying we will secure something in the next 12 months"

Don't they consider SAS to be a "full service" airline?

pamann
3rd Dec 2015, 18:43
I'd cut MAG some slack. They've done an amazing job of getting Stansted's passenger figures growing again since they took over. They're also not ones for giving it all the talk if they don't have a trick up their sleeve. So let's watch and see what 2016 offers.

LTNman
3rd Dec 2015, 18:55
So when Gatwick is also full then it will be Stansted's turn.

Itchin McCrevis
3rd Dec 2015, 21:54
Gatwick is pretty much full for Summer 16 - quite a few short haul airlines/flights out on their ear recently looking for new homes as the spare slots have gone to the new long haul leisure ops.

The problem Stansted has is many are wary of the dominance and predatory nature of Ryanair.

LTNman
4th Dec 2015, 05:02
I can see IT flights feeling the pinch first at Gatwick and it would be these flights that would find a home at Stansted. Don't think many full service airlines would want to fly out of what is seen as a low cost airport that is too closely linked with Ryanair.

Alsacienne
4th Dec 2015, 05:43
They've done an amazing job of getting Stansted's passenger figures growing again since they took over... but the lack of consideration for these passengers, through the creation of their 'shopping centre', lack of seats, uneven flooring and massive queues for outgoing security and border control incoming is second-to-none.

wowzz
4th Dec 2015, 13:06
Legacy airlines would want to ensure that the important business class customers [in terms of revenue] would be prepared to fly out of STN. Given how unpleasant an airport STN has become over the last few years, I cannot see many business pax being prepared to travel up the M11

Skipness One Foxtrot
4th Dec 2015, 14:02
quite a few short haul airlines/flights out on their ear recently looking for new homes as the spare slots have gone to the new long haul leisure ops.
Who are we referring to here? The likes of Small Planet perhaps? I know LGW had a fair amount of spare stand capacity outside the peaks and troughs of the based aircraft waves, has it really all been taken up?

whitelighter
4th Dec 2015, 17:54
I do love how any vaguely positive news on this thread sees the usual Luton fan boys en-mass telling anyone who will listen Stansted will never be more than a FR hub.

No doubt the opinion is anybody looking to fly into London should be queuing up to perch on the hill

Itchin McCrevis
4th Dec 2015, 18:09
Who are we referring to here? The likes of Small Planet perhaps?No it's not just the minnows - some of the bigger fish are scratching their heads and hoping on the January slot return deadline.

any vaguely positive news on this thread sees the usual Luton fan boys en-mass telling anyone who will listen Stansted will never be more than a FR hub.Huh! - what's this got to do with Luton?? - MAG put out a sound bite that contains no news at all and there is a general belief (unsubstantiated) amongst airlines that Ryanair are getting all their growth for free - hardly creating an attractive competitive environment (real or percieved) to rush into.

PS. Just looked at the CAA stats and realised Luton is, in fact, growing faster (in % terms) now than Stansted - so you can be excused for feeling paranoid.

nt639
4th Dec 2015, 18:42
Perhaps El Al will be tempted back. I would not be surprised.

LTNman
4th Dec 2015, 19:21
I would, they tried Stansted and the passengers didn't come. Much better off just a few miles up the M1 from their market.

Itchin McCrevis
4th Dec 2015, 20:18
Perhaps El Al will be tempted back. I would not be surprised

Very unlikely IMHO - Luton (sorry for swearing) is geographically better placed for that market - in the same way Stansted is optimal for the Turkish ethnic market.

jdcg
4th Dec 2015, 21:17
Yes, which is why Pegasus thrives although TK tried it with Anadolujet for a while but then switched to LGW which seems more lucrative.
I've often thought that Biman Bangladesh would do well from STN as most of the British Bengali / Sylheti community is based in East London. Though they'd hardly be a coup for MAG. I think EK is the most likely.

AirportPlanner1
4th Dec 2015, 22:00
LTNman, we would all accept that LTN is better placed for the Jewish community, but to say the passengers didn't come is factually incorrect. Even if it were true, it took El Al 13 years or more to realise!

Am I right in thinking that the LGW Cathay flights haven't actually been confirmed? I'll leave that thought there....

compton3bravo
5th Dec 2015, 11:22
Come on, gentlemen please, can we just stop this bickering and my airport is better than your airport. Both Stansted and Luton are doing very nicely at the moment so let us acknowledge that both have there pros and cons even though they are reportedly to be the two worst airports in the UK but does not seem to worry the vast majority of passengers using the two airports. Thank you.

LTNman
5th Dec 2015, 12:49
Come on, gentlemen please, can we just stop this bickering and my airport is better than your airport.

Not sure how you have reached that conclusion. I stated what I thought was a fact and AirportPlanner1 rightly corrected me as I didn't know EL AL had been at Stansted for 13 years. It does beggar the question though why did they move if everything was smelling of roses.

Itchin McCrevis
5th Dec 2015, 13:51
Come on, gentlemen please, can we just stop this bickering and my airport is better than your airport.Bickering? - all I see is an exchange of current "rumour" and historical information.

I could give you more historical factual information about the EL AL operation at Stansted but as that would invariably be seen as criticism of "your airport" I'll leave you to your delusions.

LTNman for God's sake change your handle - it's a red rag to the local fanboys on every thread you post on (which I realise might be deliberate) but it does detract from your other wise generally well informed posts.

rog747
5th Dec 2015, 14:39
STN's come along away from the early 70's with only Channel airways tridents, 1-11's and comets which went bust soon after

then came Lloyd (who also went bust) and BMA British Midland with some old ex Pan Am 707-321's for some long haul ABC charters out of the sheds (terminal) with some ONA TIA Saturn AFA Airlift DC-8 charters too and wardair's 707 to Canada
Caravelles of Transeuropa for Tom Hill and Lyons tours holidays

you had the weekend/Sunday Scandinavian flights sterling sas/scanair air viking

but that was it really

LTNman
5th Dec 2015, 14:41
LTNman for God's sake change your handle it's a red rag to the local fanboys on every thread you post on.

Yes you are spot on, the name is a red rag to many and yes a bad choice of names but after 4000 posts I can handle it. Actually I would say compton3bravo is actually a Luton boy at heart so I know he means well.

STN's come along away from the early 70's with only Channel airways tridents, 1-11's and comets which went bust soon after

then came Lloyd (who also went bust) and BMA British Midland with some old ex Pan Am 707-321's for some long haul ABC charters out of the sheds (terminal) with some ONA TIA Saturn AFA Airlift DC-8 charters too and wardair's 707 to Canada
Caravelles of Transeuropa for Tom Hill and Lyons tours holidays

you had the weekend/Sunday Scandinavian flights sterling sas/scanair air viking

but that was it really

Yes but don't you think Stansted was a more interesting place in the 70's than it is now. I can remember walking across a couple of fields and standing underneath an African Safari DC8. Fence, what fence?

rog747
5th Dec 2015, 15:41
it was eerily quiet on most days then LTNman

remember paying 2/- to go around the new channel trident on display one winter Sunday afternoon