PDA

View Full Version : STANSTED - 2

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

TUGNBAR
25th May 2007, 18:26
An aircraft flap was found on the runway today, :eek: Airfield Ops have instructed all companies to check round their aircraft.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
26th May 2007, 08:32
The BAA website has today started flight tracking.
using web track.:ok:

DONTTELLTHEPAX
28th May 2007, 11:11
I was looking on the Air Asia website today and noticed that
they have a link ( Now everyone can fly Xtra long),
If you follow the link is shows routes and says comming this year 2007
48 cities, 8 countries, Europe STANSTED, BERLIN, MOSCOW, PARIS, PRAUGE, no mention or MANCHESTER, this is all shown on a route map
along with the new A330 aircraft in AirAsisX colours,

So do we take it that STANSTED is the UK route ?

MUFC_fan
28th May 2007, 17:39
As we see with many airlines, until the plane lands on Stansted's runway, rely on nothing!

jack_essex
4th Jun 2007, 12:47
Has anyone got any more information on the fire alarm at STN this morning. Pretty much all departing flights delayed by at least an hour? Ryanair website says flights delayed due to fire alarm in the main terminal.

rusty_c
4th Jun 2007, 16:43
Whole terminal evac! Was caused by some welding smoke going into the air con and hey presto the s**t hits the fan

Stanstedeye
4th Jun 2007, 18:16
Starting on 30/08/07 STN-LAX. Four weekly.

carbootking
4th Jun 2007, 19:57
what a lovely smell it was at first thought good old alba has burnt the toast again , least got an hour off work,pity the pax dont move fast enough when u tell them to move.

burn the mullal
5th Jun 2007, 12:01
Im sure that I heard on Anglia news today that 52 ramp rats at STN have been arrested on suspicion of theft from passengers luggage. Firstly I would like to ask if anybody knows if this is true and whether or not it was a recent operation and secondly did the agents bat for the orange side or the blue side or a mixture of both. If this is true then the implications must be heavy on the handling agents, as theft from passengers must be an instant dismissal offence not to mention the amount of section 18 searches Essex Police must be doing as I write.

J.O.
5th Jun 2007, 12:18
The number quoted in this story is 22. Not as many but still a significant number.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/news/story.aspx?brand=EADOnline&category=News&tBrand=EADOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=IPED04%20Jun%202007%2019%3A51%3A45%3A577

burn the mullal
5th Jun 2007, 12:28
I did think 52 seemed a hell of a lot, still as you say j.o a significant number of folks. 22 must be around 2 shifts worth that are now enjoying the fun of custody food or getting a handsome £80 slap in the wallet and dismissal.!!
I suppose the full background checks were carried out to see if the persons involved had Pre-convictions for similar offences prior to being allowed access to 1000s of un guarded passenger items a day.????? I think probarbly not.!

slip and turn
5th Jun 2007, 13:28
22 is indeed a large number to be arrested. Although perhaps so many in one swoop is primarily tactical - UK society seems to tolerate arrests on the basis that they know more important suspects, and it is for the common good that they should not be allowed to tip off their colleagues or otherwise taint a police operation. Gone seem to be the days when "helping the police with their enquiries" could be achieved without being arrested, and when "false arrest" might have been a problem to the authorities.

It's quite conceivable that there are always one or two bad eggs in an airport this size ... and even 22 is surely a small proportion of the total doing this kind of job?

Still a big number though. And it would no doubt include some team leaders?

Personally I've long since ceased to check-in valuables, or lock bags. I've also seen them opened too easily (by customs inspectors). Instead I wonder what other perhaps more important duties of trust/care placed with the same teams/team leaders might be in danger of being abused daily...

Let's not fool ourselves ... lower cost operations can so easily translate directly to higher risk of employing dross ...

niknak
5th Jun 2007, 13:38
22 arrested doesnt mean 22 guilty.

What ever the background checks made, the employers can only go on the checkable evidence provided to them, they pass that on to the BAA who would have made their own checks and then decided who passed the required standards to be eligible for the appropriate security clearance.

I know pilots/atcos and other "professionals" who have convictions for a wide range offences, but although declared vis security protocols, it hasn't precluded them from gaining airside access.

Just because someone is arrested it doesnt mean that they should be hung drawn and quartered by Burn and his his friends in their balck & white world, before the facts are proven.

Tjosan
5th Jun 2007, 13:45
IMHO, if they can steal things from the luggage, what things can they add to the luggage?

Skipness One Echo
5th Jun 2007, 14:17
If theses guys are searched going into a sterile area why the Hell aren't they searched on the way back out again? Beats resourcing security to taking toothpaste off flightcrew.........

potkettleblack
5th Jun 2007, 14:22
Wonder if there will be strikes now in support of the handlers.

eidah
5th Jun 2007, 20:29
Let's not fool ourselves ... lower cost operations can so easily translate directly to higher risk of employing dross

I think that this is a bit presumptious lower cost operations are no different from any other company they all use outside companies i.e in STN there is servisair and swissport as there handling agents and I think you will find that also in Heathrow both servisair and swissport are both working there and the airlines operating out of Heathrow are not exactly "lower cost operations" is it just the fact that STN police were merely working on an operation and got lucky.

burn the mullal
5th Jun 2007, 20:57
Black and white world eh NikNak, I am guessing that you may work on the ramp and never been a victim of the nature of crime that these were arrested for.???
You are right to say that even if somebody is arrested it does not make them guilty of the offence they were arrested for, however I feel that the arrests made would have been inteligence lead and not just a lucky shot in the dark.

matt_hooks
5th Jun 2007, 21:09
Burn, I wouldn't pout it past being exactly that, a shot in the dark, at least to a certain extent.

If the police can isolate on shift and/or area where these thefts are occuring then pulling in 22 people is not beyond the realms of possibility in order to catch one. Think about it this way. We (the coppers) have deduced that AT LEAST ONE of these 22 people has been stealing from luggage. Now the chances are they will have some of the loot still hanging around somewhere. If we arrest one or two, and don't get everyone or get the wrong people, then the actual perpetrators will have ample time to get rid of any incriminating evidence. It ain't pleasant for the innocent arrestees, but after the real criminals have been caught the rest will be free to go with no charges brought.
I'm not saying this is the scenario, but just one possible reason for the seemingly large number of arrests.

ped90
5th Jun 2007, 21:53
The articles today are a bit of a rehash of old news. The 22 were actually arrested last December, one of them is finally going to appear in court. This is why the story has been re-gurgitated. The others have either been cleared or are on bail.

http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/regional/east-anglia/5/Baggage+thefts+man+charged.aspx

I believe the majority of the people arrested are no longer employed by the handler concerned. Also most of them were on the same shift

virgincrew99
5th Jun 2007, 23:05
is the virgin atlantic all-business class airline coming to stansted?

Fragman88
6th Jun 2007, 03:24
Not Quite on thread, but before joining the ranks of the exalted, did my time on the ground side of things.
This has always happened, and probably always will, possibly of more concern now than ever before, but obviously being addressed.
The point of this post is that in my very early days, I flew with a skipper who had been a baggage handler at a major airport, and his advice was:
'Don't bother with locks or anything, the guys go straight through them. They know how to drop the strongest cases so the locks will spring'
'The only way to dissuade them is a long canvas strap, crisscrossed as if you're wrapping a present, then tied with a couple of knots, free end taped down' 'These guys only have moments to open a bag, check for goodies, reclose it and send it on it's way, so yours should go into the too hard file'
Of course the strap can be cut, but upon arrival at the carousel this will be obvious, localising the incident far more than the thieves would want.
Has worked for me for many years.
Happy Travelling
F88

Dani
6th Jun 2007, 04:24
It always happend, and it might be discovered nowadays because of more stringent security measures everywhere but especially in the bags handling zones.

sat1
6th Jun 2007, 10:37
ssshhhhhh......alledgedly Servisair are talking 'bowt it right now

slip and turn
6th Jun 2007, 12:59
Let's not fool ourselves ... lower cost operations can so easily translatedirectly to higher risk of employing dross
I think that this is a bit presumptious lower cost operations are no different from any other company they all use outside companies i.e in STN there is servisair and swissport as there handling agents and I think you will find that also in Heathrow both servisair and swissport are both working there ... The latter angle is exactly what I meant. Servisair and Swissport are lower cost operations, are they not? They were formed or reformed as lower cost outfits in response to pressures exerted by lower cost aircraft operators (which surely is more or less all aircraft operators thesedays?).

Interesting they seem only to have pinned something on one individual. I doubt there was sufficient record-keeping to pin bags or flights to individual handlers ...

Is it still true that they are more or less directed casually to where bags happen to need moving from one moment to the next? Who supervises who in the hold? Are there places airside but off-camera where stolen items could be stored until heat is off?

I heard have heard of habitually displaced toilet ceiling tiles in the past ... even heard a 'joking' story of a baggage handler seen returning airside with a bag across his shoulders: "Where do you think you are going with that?" "Dunno, I was sitting on the toilet and it fell on me!"

Flintstone
6th Jun 2007, 13:19
As others say, it's being going on for years. It wasn't known as 'Thiefrow' for nothing.

Weren't baggage handlers banned from wearing Leatherman type tools for this very reason?

HotDog
6th Jun 2007, 13:40
We had this problem with my company in the East as well, especially in the bulk hold 5 until we fitted some cam corders and caught them red handed. It was amazing to watch how deftly they could open a suitcase and frisk it.

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Jun 2007, 13:45
JNB and NBO are rife with this kind of thing. Even been filmed in the act. Usual defence is denial followed by threats of industrial action.:hmm::rolleyes:

EZYramper
6th Jun 2007, 14:05
Before I started on the ramp I heard from a lot of people that baggage handlers were out and out thieves. Granted I haven't been doing it long, but I have never seen or heard anything which would lead me to believe that anyone was stealing from peoples luggage.

I hope this person is punished to the full extent of the law.

GEAR_DOWN
6th Jun 2007, 14:30
What I'd like to know is, why aren't these people ground baggage handlers or even cleaners searched before leaving airside too??? This way they cannot leave with anything more than they came in with. Security can be tightened much more at airports. It would be easy to figure if someone was stealing form bags or the airvraft or not. Why would a cleaner have a laptop or 3 mobile phones on their duty? same for baggage staff???

Maybe this should be introduced accross the board at airports.

camprax
6th Jun 2007, 15:14
I think it is a bit harsh to call human beings "ramp rats" they are working to make a living.I got my start in aviation as a "ramp rat" and it taught me alot on how an airline is run and what I would like to do with my life.Yes , they are guilty of theft but theft comes in many different forms.....is lying when filing your taxes theft?
all the best gents

stator vane
6th Jun 2007, 15:30
i used to be a ramp rat and that's what we called ourselves and others that worked with us.

didn't offend me a bit.

duck feathers are required.

now that i fly airplanes-i'm a bus driver!!!

lighten up a bit.

the real value is in the work you do, not the titles or names.

i was the best ramp rat and now aim to be the best bus driver. used to fill soda machines and i did that good as well.

Maude Charlee
6th Jun 2007, 15:45
Be careful what you wish for in terms of asking for more stringent security checking of airside staff. You really think pilots and cabin crew never go home with trolleys full of stolen loot? If one group of workers is going to get searched, you can bet your bottom dollar we're ALL going to get searched.

And some people bitch non-stop about it as it is. :rolleyes:

sat1
7th Jun 2007, 13:09
If its good enough for ramp bods then lets apply the same rule to aircrew.

CaptainFillosan
7th Jun 2007, 15:26
It seems to me that this thieving from pax and the behaviour from the so called security guys at BHX is acceptable to some here who have a view on the matter. Why? You at it too??

There is NO single excuse I can think of that excuses anyone from taking coke and dealing in drugs or stealing from innocent pax and not bothering to do the job they were employed to do. The job is so neglected as to make it farcical and dangerous!

Each one of those people on the programme should have been summarily dismissed and reported to the police. Were they?

And this:

You really think pilots and cabin crew never go home with trolleys full of stolen loot? If one group of workers is going to get searched, you can bet your bottom dollar we're ALL going to get searched.

Unbelievable!

D-ABAA
8th Jun 2007, 15:10
No Servisair or Aviance handlers arrested mabe just a problem with Swissport then at Stansted.:hmm:

sat1
8th Jun 2007, 17:07
when you pay peanuts you get monkeys....with sticky fingers!!!!!

Stanstedeye
9th Jun 2007, 18:47
Unlisted additional flights To Las Palmas today are:-IWD3455 & XLA353
Are these flights one-offs, or additions for the season?

D-ABBT
10th Jun 2007, 20:20
Well Said Sat1, If Its Searches For "Baggies" then it should be the same for ALL airside workers that come into contact with aircraft or bags, this includes Security workers. We have all been checked by the police to gain our airside passes, so we are all the same. Check one, Check All!!!!!

toledoashley
11th Jun 2007, 06:16
Think the IWD and XLA flights are one-off for the ITT Conference (Institute of Travel and Tourism)

tommyc2005
11th Jun 2007, 10:55
The IWD is on behalf of Thomas Cook. It is running all season though it was originally scheduled for Mondays.

The XLA is also running all season and has been scheduled and on sale through XL since last summer. Just checked and its not on BAA's charter timetable on the website, but there are other omissions so its obviously not too reliable.

Mr Flaps
11th Jun 2007, 12:51
XL airways have a flight every saturday to LPA. It goes at around 4 in the afternoon.

Stanstedeye
11th Jun 2007, 18:37
Thank you TOMMYc2005, & Mr FLAPS.
Out of interest TOM4923 to LPA did not operate today. Should have landed at 17.50, no record at STN.

Mr Flaps
12th Jun 2007, 14:45
The Thomsonfly to LPA goes on Monday morning at 8:15. Unless we have another one during the week which we dont know about.

Does any one else think that MaxJet are biting off more than they can chew at the mo. With one A/C down and they are using a leased 757 from a basketball team to run the IAD.
They plan to run LAX by the end of August and have not had any more planes delviered to them.

D-ABBT
12th Jun 2007, 21:25
Dont Forget The Miami Air B738 Mr.Flaps :hmm:!!!! But i can see where you are coming from, will be interesting too see what happens. As we say "i wont believe it until i see the white of the captains eyes coming up stand"

BT

rusty_c
13th Jun 2007, 09:55
Nice to see you on here again BT, what a fine craft she is!

sat1
14th Jun 2007, 07:36
Does any one else think that MaxJet are biting off more than they can chew at the mo. With one A/C down and they are using a leased 757 from a basketball team to run the IAD.
They plan to run LAX by the end of August and have not had any more planes delviered to them.
http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/forums/report.php?p=3344188)

Mr Flaps, What DO you mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Flaps
14th Jun 2007, 08:50
Sorry if I was not clear I will try again.
Is the airline trying to expand too quickly? With aging unreliable aircraft that have developed a habit of leaving debris on the runway.
The leased 757 is causing them problems already. The door would not open for some reason the other morning.
They are expecting to open a new route to LAX in August but are still short of aircraft to fly the route. They are struggling to fly their current routes.

D-ABAA
14th Jun 2007, 16:07
Mr Flaps I see where your coming from, the only solution for Maxjet would be to lease another craft mabe the Miami Air will make a return to fly the route?

On a seperate note, i heard today that Easyjet have given a final warning to Swissport to improve there standards at Stansted.

D-ABAA.

WHBM
14th Jun 2007, 17:18
On a seperate note, I heard today that Easyjet have given a final warning to Swissport to improve their standards at Stansted.We would all be interested to know what are the aspects of particular concern.

sat1
15th Jun 2007, 07:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ABAA http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3349020#post3349020)
On a seperate note, I heard today that Easyjet have given a final warning to Swissport to improve their standards at Stansted.

We would all be interested to know what are the aspects of particular concern.

look out Swissport!!!!!!!! Menzies are prowling,or is it already cut and dried????????

xxx5572
15th Jun 2007, 14:08
Catching up on this thread and the talk of easyjet and swissport makes me wonder how people not working for either company would know about this?? The subject of swissport loosing the contract has been going on for ages and many people said its a definate but still no word!!

The other side of the coin could be that swissport want to loose the contract and i wouldnt blame them as EZY seems to do business in terms of pay pennies expect first class service. Just as many of us all know the world of business you get what you pay for and swissport may have done the number crunching and seen that it really is not woth it for them carry it on. The contract would only be passed over to someone else and although easyjet is swissports main customer they still have contracts with many other airlines. This in turn could see swissport exploring contracts with the other airlines operating from the airport.

Then again just my opinion as many others on the site and only time will tell what lies ahead. :)

Hollymead
15th Jun 2007, 14:23
"Easy Jet is Swisports main customer " Er , surely Ryanair is Swissports main customer , no ?????

D-ABAA
15th Jun 2007, 14:48
Catching up on this thread and the talk of easyjet and swissport makes me wonder how people not working for either company would know about this?? The subject of swissport loosing the contract has been going on for ages and many people said its a definate but still no word!!

The other side of the coin could be that swissport want to loose the contract and i wouldnt blame them as EZY seems to do business in terms of pay pennies expect first class service. Just as many of us all know the world of business you get what you pay for and swissport may have done the number crunching and seen that it really is not woth it for them carry it on. The contract would only be passed over to someone else and although easyjet is swissports main customer they still have contracts with many other airlines. This in turn could see swissport exploring contracts with the other airlines operating from the airport.

Then again just my opinion as many others on the site and only time will tell what lies ahead. :)

Well firstly, I can confirm Swissport do know they have this as staff have been talking.:ugh:

Secondly, Swissport's main customer is Ryanair :D not easyjet :=.

Live the dream....

sat1
15th Jun 2007, 17:20
Well firstly, I can confirm Swissport do know they have this as staff have been talking.:ugh:

Secondly, Swissport's main customer is Ryanair :D not easyjet :=.

Live the dream....

SURELY EASYJET IS A SERIOUS '2ND STRING TO SWISSPORTS BOW' AND AS SUCH WOULD BE A BIG LOSS OF REVENUE TO THEM. PRESUMABLY TUPE WOULD APPLY TO THE AFFECTED STAFF

DONTTELLTHEPAX
15th Jun 2007, 21:29
I see that there is a 1000 dep to JFK tomorrow, Flt NAO-022.
Is this the Maxjet flight ? If so why the North American Airlines
flight number pic of aircraft under about us / fleet.

xxx5572
16th Jun 2007, 10:10
Im not sure if many of you understand the set up of swissport.

One half of the company is dedicated to Ryanair because of the large operation and operates seperately. And on the other side there is the easyjet contract which is the biggest yet to fill in for the down time and in turn increase efficiency they handle other carriers such as tcx,4u, dy and so on. Whils the management is a central structure the loss of the easyjet contract would not mean the end of swissport as a whole all it would mean is the other side of the operation would have lots more spare time which is why they COULD tender for other contracts to fill this time back up.

Lets not forget that as much revenue as a contract can bring in, businesses want to see a return on investment and mainly a profit, businesses aims are always profit maximisation. Therefore if the easyjet contract in bringing back minimal return on large capital investment in both machines and labour, an attempt could be to streamline a business to make it more profitable by reducing the workforce (bearing in mind this alone counts for 70% of costs) and allowing swissport (charter) to become a smaller workforce than before and working on more profitable contracts.

sat1
16th Jun 2007, 13:40
in other words they would do to easyjet what servisair did to ryanair a few years ago

Mr Flaps
17th Jun 2007, 13:56
The North Amercian 757 is a charter for a music tour of London.
MIA-JFK-STN and back.
There is also a TU6 parked north side.

snillocsat4
17th Jun 2007, 17:06
Audit in May wasn't good . given til end of June to clean up service .or maybe 60 day notice ? Menzies:=

MonitorTower
17th Jun 2007, 19:46
Hi,

Am i right in thinking that Swissport have lost EZY contracts at other stations and Menzies will be handling EZY at lgw...this doesn't bode well for stn swissport surely :confused:

Tower.

Hial Flyer
17th Jun 2007, 21:36
Menzies have already taken over the EZY contract at Gatwick though think it used to be Servisair.

D-ABAA
18th Jun 2007, 12:05
If Menzies do take over EZY at STN will there be room for another handling company on the ramp?:bored:

Departures Beckham
22nd Jun 2007, 09:32
From September 9th, Eos will be offering 40 flights a week. Let's hope we have enough jetways servicable by then...
http://www.eosairlines.com/images/news/4thflightsched.gif

Capt Wannabe
22nd Jun 2007, 21:11
Beckham

Welcome back - haven't seen you around here for a while :)

Rumour control suggests new bridges are on the way for 11 / 12 / 13 although they will not arrive until next year (I thought eBay was quicker than that), and the new ones may not go on those stands - ie a swapabout may take place.

Don't imagine some of the long-established companies will be too impressed if EOS try to monopolise the working ones at the moment - although I have seen it on steps quite often recently.

Should you not be on a 'blue' pass now ? :ok:

owenkirk2005
25th Jun 2007, 15:12
hi, can anybody who knows stansted tell me which runway is usually used when there is a north westerly wind? as far as i know its crosswind. Thanks.

terrain safe
25th Jun 2007, 20:15
The preferential runway is 23. This will used generally until there is a tailwind of 5 kts.

TUGNBAR
2nd Jul 2007, 18:30
After dropping off the inlaws today,and upon reading other airport threads on what it is like elsewhere, just wanted to say how organised, safe and secure it felt at Stansted. Even though access to the drop off area is closed of to Joe public, having the lower drop off area is just as good although slightly conjested.:D:D

owenkirk2005
2nd Jul 2007, 19:37
stansted airport reportedly sealed off due to a suspect package being found. more details to follow on bbc website.

link now avalible
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/6263252.stm

newscaster
3rd Jul 2007, 14:14
Do you think PIA will return to STN?

sat1
3rd Jul 2007, 15:00
I would be surprised,their loads were never good and the a/c were not what you could call reliable.

D-ABAA
3rd Jul 2007, 16:35
Look like the TK is having more problems with Swissport than they ever did with S/Air, long delays and plenty of baggage ID's

Mabe too quick to remark, but hey :}

Capt Wannabe
3rd Jul 2007, 19:51
Interestingly D-ABAA, there have been no baggage ID's since Swissport took over the TK. It's also very interesting to hear feedback from the airline on the difference between the two companies.

D-ABAA
3rd Jul 2007, 20:16
Well well, capt_Wanabee, Swissport staff have mouths and say diffrent :eek:

Keep up the goodwork :D

sat1
3rd Jul 2007, 20:20
I Have Eyes And I Personally Saw A Bag I D On Day One, So Why The Porkies?

Mr Flaps
4th Jul 2007, 09:13
What some people have failed to mention that Swissport have sent people to Istanbul to be trained on Troya, where as S/Air got 3 hours in Enterprise House. So when the new system came online S/Air was not ready.
As for no bag ID's then why was the TK A/C still at STN at around 1515 yesterday afternoon with the bridge still on.
Late in bound was it?

Departures Beckham
4th Jul 2007, 14:20
Without knowing the details ... wouldn't you think it pretty difficult to perform a full bag ID for 150+ pax on a jetway?

D-ABAA
5th Jul 2007, 10:30
No one said anything about a FULL baggage ID did they :ugh:

Departures Beckham
5th Jul 2007, 15:00
As for no bag ID's then why was the TK A/C still at STN at around 1515 yesterday afternoon with the bridge still on

Try again :ugh:

mattcam
5th Jul 2007, 15:07
american airlines are due to start a new york -stansted service starting sometime in october, got the info on google news:D

mattcam
5th Jul 2007, 15:11
daily service will start on october 28 with a second daily service starting in spring 2008:ok::D

Skipness One Echo
5th Jul 2007, 15:11
Quite how this won't be competing with their own Heathrow service is beyond me........

Airlines never seem to learn from past mistakes do they?

spanishflea
5th Jul 2007, 16:32
Lots of complaints from the corporate clients about LHR, so looks like AA have taken the inititive and started up elsewhere.

Not sure STN is going to be regarded as wildly superiod to LHR, but we shall see...

rusty_c
5th Jul 2007, 16:48
The reason for them soing this JFK-STN is with LON-USA opening up after bermuda2 closing they see this as almost a niche, if everyone else is going to be opening up JFK/EWR-LHR then if they open up STN with a bit of variety theres got to be money made, they offer some nice connections too. Good news for STN whos handling them? With Servisair being the superior handler and also with US traffic already, i reckon itll be them.

Powerjet1
5th Jul 2007, 17:39
Supposedly twice daily from March 08. Will no doubt p**s off Eos & Maxjet a bit.

Mr Flaps
5th Jul 2007, 17:43
This will be a good one to watch. Because AA and Turkish Airlines are linked pax can use the frequent flyer cards for either airline on any AA and TK service, plus they both use Troya for check-in and res.
Swissport seem the most likely seeing they handle TK.
But S/air would take TK back so there is all to play for.
Avaince, Servisair or Swissport??????

WHBM
5th Jul 2007, 17:53
AA have of course been in Stansted before, what was it, 15 years ago now, with a service to Chicago.

Differences now are :

1. Maxjet/Eos have mad it a place for premium pax to know about.
2. Direct competition with Maxjet/Eos, putting the squeeze on them multiplying New York service.
3. The continuing meltdown of service standards at Heathrow, especially for premium pax.
4. Continued moving of financial offices in london eastwards from The City to Canary Wharf (it's about a 35-minute drive from Canary Wharf to Stansted for much of the day). New York is a financial destination, Chicago, Dallas and other points on AA's network are more general.

BA next ?

go_edw
5th Jul 2007, 19:09
Great News that American Airlines are coming to STN again. I flew with them a few years ago LHR-JFK. What's great is their economy- G O O D L E G room!

However I guess they wont be able to charge much for either Economy or Business as people will fly CHAVJET (maxjet).

spanishflea
5th Jul 2007, 19:44
What's great is their economy- G O O D L E G room!

Sadly their programme of "more room through coach" was abandoned, and we are back to 31' pitch :(

xxx5572
5th Jul 2007, 20:38
Whoever handles them will have to make sure they have a few spare set of steps as im sure i can now count the servicable jetbridges on one hand and maybe even with a few to spare. If i was AA i would have a serious look at the state of STN and iron out any problems before operating from there but maybe this type of demmand may mean BAA pull thier finger out :ugh::ugh:

jack_essex
5th Jul 2007, 21:51
Great news for Stansted. Finally, low cost fares to New York! When will you be able to buy seats on the STN - JFK route as you are not able to at the moment? Will also be nice seeing some AA 767 metal at STN.

spanishflea
5th Jul 2007, 22:08
Should be loaded to the GDS's at the weekend.

Skipness One Echo
6th Jul 2007, 00:06
Really? 35 mins from my house to Stansted??? I must try that. I struggle to do Isle of Dogs to London City in under 20........
What ARE you driving?

WHBM
6th Jul 2007, 08:12
On reflection Isle of Dogs to London City has more traffic signals than to Stansted - yes, really. If only because there isn't a single traffic signal between Isle of Dogs and Stansted.

From Prestons Road roundabout :

5 mins to Beckton
20 mins to M25
35 mins to Stansted approach road.

been doing it for many years.

Departures Beckham
6th Jul 2007, 15:31
Schedule now on AA's website. Flight 124 arrives STN at 08:15, flight 125 departs at 10:15am.

D-ABAA
6th Jul 2007, 15:34
With regards to ground handlers Servisair management where aware of the AA plans before the reports where released as there was talk last week of handling AA but to be honest at the time I thought nothing of it, but now hmm.

go_edw
6th Jul 2007, 20:12
spanishflea,

Thanks for correcting me! What a pity.

Expressflight
7th Jul 2007, 08:09
WHBM

"35 mins to Stansted approach road"

Just out of interest, assuming you're driving your own car how long does it take you to get from the "approach road" to the check-in queue?

That's the relevant comparison surely?

WHBM
8th Jul 2007, 07:57
how long does it take you to get from the "approach road" to the check-in queue?
Not long at Stansted, a few minutes. Go into the first short-stay car park, park near the footpath, and just walk up.

Now the long-term car park is something else. I don't know another airport where this is so far away (it must be 4 miles) or the connecting bus so pathetically organised. If using that I would double the time allowed.

And the "mid-stay" is the worst of all worlds; nearly short-stay prices and such a slow bus connection, and it's still a mile or more away. And because it doesn't get a lot of use the buses are now so infrequent.

jack_essex
8th Jul 2007, 19:30
When will these AA STN -JFK flights be on sale? There is no date on their website when they will be bookable. I am trying to put together a trip to the US in November and would like to know how much fares will be. BA and AA have some really good prices from LHR - JFK so would like to know when who to book with so I do not miss out on the seat sale. As STN is only 15 mins from my house a local departure would be much more attractive.

spanishflea
8th Jul 2007, 20:29
They were meant to go up on the AA website this weekend. They were released into the GDSs, however AA accidentaly entered the flights as Economy + First, rather than Economy + Business :rolleyes:

There were quite a few other issues with the schedule update over the weekend too (various domestic flights being missed off aa.com entirely!) so this has had to take a backseat while they fix that mess.

Expect it online, with a bit of luck, some time tomorrow. :ok:

Charlie Roy
10th Jul 2007, 22:08
New route from low fare Blue Air

Bucharest - Stansted

Flights will be on Monday, Wednesdays and Friday's.
Should be bookable online from tomorrow.

jack_essex
11th Jul 2007, 07:18
You are now able to book Aamerican Airlines new route from STN - JFK. With AA's latest offer you can get a return fare from STN - JFK - STN for only £206 inc all taxes and charges. I might have to start planning another NYC trip!

Mr Flaps
14th Jul 2007, 09:14
Had a little look around the net and AA are advertising for there own check-in staff at STN. So looks like there may only be a battle for the ramp contract.

sat1
16th Jul 2007, 07:57
Its seems that there will be no battle,its all cut and dried-Menzies will be handling them along with easyjet. One of their top managers seen being escorted around the undercroft areas.

sat1
16th Jul 2007, 23:43
As I understand it there was a 'slight' problem with the outbound TK on monday 16th. Anybody care to elaborate? Something to do with boxes rather than baggage.WAIT!!!!!! I hear them coming...........excuses, excuses, excuses....blah blah blah:ok:

D-ABAA
17th Jul 2007, 08:16
I wonder what would happen if the TK outbound cargo was to be taken to the undercroft and put up the baggage reclaim belt:ugh:

No, no surely that couldnt happen thats too stuped, it would delay the aircraft for over 2 and a half hours:rolleyes:

Well done Swissport

No wonder Easyjet are going Blue at Stansted :D

sat1
17th Jul 2007, 09:44
No no no,that could never happen-could it?really?

rusty_c
17th Jul 2007, 11:52
:ugh: dear o dear, mayb send an aircraft a ton or so short of cargo, but sending it up the baggage belt, you know the phrase, pay peanuts........ Anymore bridge strikes lately?

Capt Wannabe
17th Jul 2007, 17:21
I believe the truth about the TK cargo is even more fidiculous than quoted here - but hey, never let the facts get in the way of a good rumour :)

As for the delay - nothing to do with cargo (which was incidentally INBOUND) - more to do with TROYA and API. Problem has been rectified since yesterday.

Keep the rumours coming - they're great........

Charlie Roy
17th Jul 2007, 17:54
Stansted - Bucharest now bookable with Blue Air.

eidah
17th Jul 2007, 21:16
Have got back from a trip flew with out of STN. Is STN just to small and to popular. When we flew out I had a web checkin boarding card so got there 2 hours before just in case plus wanted ro do a bit shopping etc etc. However go to security took nearly an hour I was a bright spark no liquids etc etc. It just seem to take ages. Then on my return had to wait aproximaely 45 minutes to go through immigration now isnt STN supposed to be the main airport for the Olympics?? Now come on something has to be done. Was I just unlucky or is the norm at STN?? Look forward to your comments.

owenkirk2005
17th Jul 2007, 21:24
i was at stansted last month and had to wait 20 min at security and imigration was 2 min must have been a quieter time.

D-ABAA
18th Jul 2007, 07:46
The Cargo going up the reclaim belt is far from a rumour it is 100% real. Servisair Cargo delivered to the a/c 4 and half tons of frieght in the TK bins ready for loading some smart Swissport 'worker' decided that this looks like it needs to go up the belt obviously, I dunno how someone would think that putting that many boxes up a baggage belt would be reasonable in the first place? Surely one would think why am I putting all these boxes up the belt and not sending them to cargo, as you would if they came off the a/c as this clever individual thought.

Not rumours, but as others have said, pay peanuts..........:D

xxx5572
18th Jul 2007, 09:59
By the sounds of it you must have picked a pretty busy time to travel through the airport however the time it takes to pass security often depends on how many machines are working or have people to operate them.
In theory BAA have employed more staff and extended the central security point however they still dont seem to have got it right. For example the past month or so various faults have occured were doors in the satellite have been broken so in BAA's infinite wisdom they get a security agent to sit by the door to guard it, no problem there you would have though however does it not occur to them......JUST FIX THE DOOR :ugh::ugh: Then this would free that menber of staff to be useful were they actually need. Times that by the number of faulty doors probably being guarded and you have one more lane at security open.

Secondly the nature of the locos at STN mean that flight arrivals and departures happen in big waves, for example all EZY and FR fleet gone between 6-8 in the morn and with similar flying times across europe all come back at around 11-2 then the really busy time is around 4-8 as many other carriers do their once or twice daily flights into stansted and are in around this time and it is heaving. Bearing in ming whilst i paint the picture of airside we must take into account that whilst there is a 'quiet time' airside the check in queues are growing rapidly and seciruty starts to build up. I hope this gives you a good idea.

As for my opinion maybe stansted is ok ish in size however nature of the 'waves' as described above makes it hard for the system to cope and i would imagine a more constant and steady flow would allow the airport to run more smoothly. However it is not us who dictate, the airlines want to make money and use the aircraft as often as possible so they want to get the flight out asap to maximise its sectors in turn increasing revenue. The wonderful world of STN and the loco's ;)

rusty_c
18th Jul 2007, 12:06
were these freight boxes sent nup an actual baggage belt, or up the oog belt, if so, o dear. Will Swissport STN have the same fate as Swissport LHR? Lets hope AA havent heard about the latest cock up, because are they not dead certs to handle them?!

airhumberside
18th Jul 2007, 12:58
Easyjet starting Maderia this winter

sat1
18th Jul 2007, 14:50
And just what was the problem.Of course you dont have to explain yourself,you could just let the rumours run. Or maybe you can't explain. Why dont you run back to your masters and qoute us all "official line"

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
18th Jul 2007, 19:39
Transferring their whole operation to Luton from the end of October.

sat1
18th Jul 2007, 21:08
extremely old news

Buster the Bear
19th Jul 2007, 20:47
Quite simply, Stansted and its future development cannot be paid for out of income derived from the airlines that use Heathrow etc, also known as a cross subsidy.

Stansted must now stand on its own two feet without financial support from the other BAA airports and about time too!

eidah
19th Jul 2007, 21:11
So basically the problem is the locos airline?? Yet I suppose airlines are blaming the airport when actually they are the ones causing the problems by there flight scheduling especially ezy and Fr. I spoken to someone who basically was saying you could add in more staff and security points yet you will only be using all these machines for maybe 4 hours a day except summer etc holidays. So from an productivity point of views its not worth having 20 machines.

virginblue
20th Jul 2007, 08:41
Hesrtd that the AB flights for the winter from STN to the continent will go on sale shortly (today?), but NOT any domestic flights - whatever that means.

SAM-EMA
20th Jul 2007, 12:00
Is the GSM TFS staying on the 736 all summer, or will it be upgraded shortly to the 738?

Thanks
SAM-EMA

rusty_c
23rd Jul 2007, 03:08
Buster has such a big problem with STN and the fact that it is busier and closer to LON than LTN.

G-APDK
23rd Jul 2007, 08:24
I arrived in from Stuttgart on Germanwings last night at 20.08 (roughly on schedule) only to be held on the aircraft until 21.10.

We were told there was no handling agent available to open the door to the terminal and we were number 4 in the queue to be dealt with!

During the time we were waiting the Transavia landed after us and was handled ahead of us, much to the annoyance of the 4U crew.

Anyone from Swissport care to explain?

D-ABAA
23rd Jul 2007, 09:09
You where not alone I had a friend who waited just over an hour and 20 minutes for her bag from the EZY ALC flight.

Well Done Again Swissport:D

Charlie Roy
23rd Jul 2007, 11:31
New Ryanair route STN - Paris Beauvais.
(Also starting Gatwick - Beauvais).

Maybe it's just for the Rugby World Cup?

Buster the Bear
23rd Jul 2007, 19:34
Blimey this is brave: STN - Paris Beauvais, considering the fast rail link from St Pancras to Paris is opening soon. No 2 hour check in and then a 75 min coach into Paris either.

rusty_c said "Buster has such a big problem with STN and the fact that it is busier and closer to LON than LTN".

No I don't have problem, but the folk and airlines flying from Gatwick and Heathrow who year after year have been paying fees to the BAA via their tickets, car parking charges, landing fees etc to subsidise another airport probably should!

Now the Spanish Armada has landed, a level playing field will at last be established.

rusty_c, the recent floods must have severely affected Essex, for land slips and techtonic movement seem to have shifted Stansted in a south westerly direction recently? I certainly missed the 'earthquake in Bishops Stortford' story that must have hit the headlines recently. Mind you, with the recent flooding in the Luton area, it is quite likely that its airport is now located in Milton Keynes?

Hollymead
23rd Jul 2007, 20:13
I would have thought the difference between Bishops Stortford and Luton to Trafalgar Square or wherever the official London road measurements start cant be more than a mile or 2 . I dont suppose visitors to London from abroad care what one they come to . For Londoners flying out East Enders would find STN easier and LTN would be more handy for those from West of Town. A pointless argument all round .

pamann
23rd Jul 2007, 20:23
Any ideas on start date/frequency of FR to Beauvais as no flights show when selected???

also just read on UK Airport News....

As legacy airlines including BA and Virgin confirm that they will enter the premium class market, with Virgin even considering launching flights from Stansted, and American announcing daily Stansted - New York flights with 30 business class seats the two new airlines have lead a changing market.

I always thought Virgin were dead against any Stansted operations??? Surely a STN-MCO daily to compliment their Gatwick programme would be a winner, even if as a Summer only schedule. Demand must be there for the folk who live north of the River Thames.:ok:

JulietNovemberPapa
27th Jul 2007, 18:30
"Any ideas on start date/frequency of FR to Beauvais as no flights show when selected???"

It's just a one-off; well, a two-off. Both STN-BVA-STN and LGW-BVA-LGW will occur on only the 14th and 15th September for the rugby. And there will be two flights on both days on STN-BVA-STN and one flight on both days on LGW-BVA-LGW.

jack_essex
28th Jul 2007, 09:16
STN really does need (or at least I would like to see) a year round Paris route (CDG or even BVA). It is one of the only major European cites missing at STN.

STN Ramp Rat
28th Jul 2007, 14:22
STN really does need (or at least I would like to see) a year round Paris route (CDG or even BVA). It is one of the only major European cites missing at STN.

why ... when Eurostar move to St Pancras it will be quicker to get from Bishops Stortford to Paris by train than plane.

JulietNovemberPapa
28th Jul 2007, 16:41
I tend to agree that it seems a bit silly, but then FR relaunched STN-CRL - it operates 3x Mon-Fri, 1x Sat and 2x Sun - despite Brussels being quick to reach via Eurostar. The official reason for restarting it was that Eurostar is often expensive (which it often is). I don't know whether that was the true reason. So theoretically we could see FR flying from LON (STN or LTN, subject to slots and aircraft and staff availability) to BVA.

pamann
29th Jul 2007, 17:29
Does anyone know what equipment Monarch are using on the STN-PMI (Saturday) and STN-ZTH (Thursday) routes? Obviously a W pattern from somewhere???

Mr Flaps
30th Jul 2007, 08:36
Does anyone know about the AA front of house going up for tender. The Circusair grape vine is in over drive that AA have gone and put their pax handling contract up for tender.

Stanstedeye
30th Jul 2007, 20:27
For the last three weeks RB1411 from Damascus has operated into STN arriving at 09.00 on a Tuesday.
I can find no flight info on the STN website.
Does anyone have any details on this flight?

tommyc2005
31st Jul 2007, 08:07
I'm not certain, but I believe it is a short series of specialist charters for historic tours in Syria.

pamann
1st Aug 2007, 22:52
Just read on another site that TACV Cabo Verde are going to launch 2x weekly Stansted - Sal. Seems Cape Verde is proving very popular!

jetfuel1
2nd Aug 2007, 00:51
thought it was about time us fuellers at stansted had a bit of a say on here as think we play a major part at the airport!!! (what do you lot think?)so for starters hello everybody and especially those in easy ops!!!:):D

TUGNBAR
2nd Aug 2007, 09:51
Well tell us what you have to say then...............and we will certainly tell you what we think.

BlueA330
2nd Aug 2007, 11:33
The Monarch flights into Stanstead are operated by a 757

LGWAlan
2nd Aug 2007, 12:21
Pamann - can you let me have some details on this? Where did you see it? Cheers

airhumberside
2nd Aug 2007, 12:36
Its been posted on airliners.net

jack_essex
3rd Aug 2007, 22:25
How long have the new Air Berlin self service check in machines been in place? Today was the first time I've seen them. There were four if I remember correctly.

Mr Flaps
5th Aug 2007, 11:07
They have been in place for about 3 weeks but have only been up and running for the past 2 after problems with the security questions.

A4
5th Aug 2007, 17:36
Hi,

As I was leaving today there seemed to be a lot of emergency vehicles heading airside and activity at northside police porta cabins.

Driving home more blues and twos, including fire engine, heading towards airport.

Any one know the reason? Just curious.

A4

jack_essex
7th Aug 2007, 17:08
I was told there was a fuel spill on the apron. This is the reason for all the fire engines.

Mr Flaps
11th Aug 2007, 18:16
XLA 767 in from HER going to LGW and Oasis Hong Kong 747-400. Was told the hold at LGW was long due to poor vis on the deck. Off loading those flights made for a nice scrum in baggage reclaim.

Mr Flaps
24th Aug 2007, 10:10
Not sure how true this but have been told that AA are going to get gate 37 (C44) in sat 2 for their daily flight. Plus they are going to put a lounge in at that end of sat 2.

JulietNovemberPapa
24th Aug 2007, 10:24
It's amazing just how busy and delay-prone STN can be. On Tuesday I flew AB STN-TXL. We were number 9 for push-back, and there was a line of 9 aircraft awaiting departure from 5, with aircraft at 3 different intersections. Our departure time was 0730, but we didn't roll until 0838.

I have used STN innumerable times over the years, and that was probably my worst outbound experience.

In comparison, my arrival that evening (with AB DUS-STN) was startlingly efficient and easy - and I was through security in under 30 seconds.

D-ABAA
29th Aug 2007, 11:41
Ok the daily flight by AA JFK-STN has not even started yet, but AA have added a second daily flight from 07APR2008.:D

Skipness One Echo
30th Aug 2007, 08:40
As was announced at the time months ago. Whooppee - do!

mattcam
30th Aug 2007, 10:13
sarcasm will get you knowwhere skipness:ouch:.anyway anyone know the load factors for LAX-STN maxtjet.looks like AA have already:D anounced there second leg dew to high bookings

Skipness One Echo
30th Aug 2007, 20:57
Mattcam first up the whole plan was to introduce a second flight in the spring from day one when the Stansted flight was announced, so it is not as you claim being introduced due to a clammering of peeps desperate for tickets.

And with the greatest of respect, please try and use a spell checker before you post as it does you no credit when people miss the point you are making due to your appaling English skills.

noodnik
3rd Sep 2007, 11:40
SOE correct me if I'm wrong but I think correct spelling is appalling:)

jack_essex
5th Sep 2007, 09:37
Have just checked the AA website, and they have now added the second daily return flight to their reservations system starting in April 08.

Departing London Stansted at 16:35 arr New York JFK 19:30

Departing New York JFK at 22.30 arr London Stansted 10:30 +1

DONTTELLTHEPAX
8th Sep 2007, 08:01
American Airlines, which is to launch flights between Stansted and New York next month, is also reported to be considering new US routes from Stansted. It announced the date of a second daily frequency on the route last week, even before its first flight has taken off.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
8th Sep 2007, 19:00
New route starts 29 oct, Cabo Verde Airlines, sal-London Stansted
using B757-200

DONTTELLTHEPAX
8th Sep 2007, 19:05
Norwegian Air Shuttle will launch flights between Stansted and Tromso - known as the 'Gateway to the Arctic Circle' - on December 8. The Scandinavian low-cost airline will operate the route twice a week - each Tuesday and Saturday

LGWAlan
10th Sep 2007, 12:12
VR flights were originally 2 flights per week SID-STN, Monday and Thursday.

Monday flight now operates from RAI - Praia

DONTTELLTHEPAX
10th Sep 2007, 17:09
Blue Air to Bucharest
Blue Air is coming to London Stansted, the first low-cost airline from Romania will start direct services to Bucharest starting on the 05 October 2007 :ok:

Mr Flaps
12th Sep 2007, 07:48
Can anyone shed any light in the price hike at STN. Why has BAA decided to rise the prices of using this rather rubbish airport at a time when they want to get more people through the doors and more airlines.
AB pulling all domestics.
Sky Europe going to Luton dont want to pay the landing fees.
GSM closing everything down once again due to costs out of STN.
BAA will prob say we have got AA coming. Big deal one airline after seeing three cut services or leave. Plus if FR start pulling more routes?
What is BAA thinking???

dumdumbrain
12th Sep 2007, 10:20
Maybe quality over quanatity till the new terminal is open, im more than happy for Ryanair to pull routes and a/c from STN and, with any luck bring more to EMA

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
12th Sep 2007, 11:11
The reason for the hike in prices is very simple.
For more years than I care to remember, BAA was allowed to cross subsidise it's airports with the result that charges at Stansted were held artificially low as revenue from Heathrow and Gatwick was used to offset any losses. Luton Airport certainly tried to get this arrangement stopped on many occasions even resorting to complaining to Brussels.
BAA's ability to cross subsidise is no longer allowed by the CAA - in other words each of BAA's airports has to stand on its own feet. Thus in the case of Stansted were income has been less than costs, the only option has been to increase charges.
In addition, I would guess that in some cases, the special deals available to all airlines when setting up routes to new destinations are coming to an end - I think they typically expire after two or three years.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
15th Sep 2007, 07:49
Air Berlin will open a new route from London Stansted to Munich on 5 November 2007. The airline will fly twice daily from Monday to Friday and once on Saturday and Sunday

Buster the Bear
15th Sep 2007, 22:10
OLNEY 1 BRAVO are you insinuating that the BAA and its monopoly, used its dominance to influence the 'market'? Surely not!

Let us see the future and Ferrovial's interest in Stansted once the public enquiries for Stansted T2 and Heathrow T5 develop!

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
16th Sep 2007, 19:21
You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment!

sat1
16th Sep 2007, 19:38
Heathrow T5 and Stansted T2 WILL go through,there is too much money involved for them not to.

Taffy1
16th Sep 2007, 22:10
I think LHR T5 did go through - as its opening march 08 :ugh:

rusty_c
16th Sep 2007, 22:40
There goes buster again chip on his shoulder about stansted and the fact that it is wholly better than LTN. Why do you think that BAA kept hold of STN rather than snapping up LTN, says it all. Im sure if the boot was on the other foot, he'd be celebrating the fact that come march there will be a 2x daily flight to JFK by AA!:O

King Pong
17th Sep 2007, 04:56
Following in Silverjet’s footprints when they go double daily to NY from Luton, which starts next week.:ok:

I think we have all moved on from comparing which is the better airport? Each airport has its positive and negative attributes.

It is though a fact of life that BAA poached established Luton airlines with subsidies earned from other BAA airports. But that is history and these airlines would have gone anyway, as Luton did not have the physical capacity to keep airlines like TNT and Ryanair.

eu01
19th Sep 2007, 06:46
Found in the press today.
BAA, the airport operator, paid its security staff to protest at a public inquiry hearing evidence about the environmental damage that would be caused by the expansion of Stansted.
The staff were given paid time off from carrying out security checks at the Essex airport to support their employer’s application to increase the number of flights by 75,000 a year. People living under Stansted’s flight paths accused BAA of sacrificing customer service to stage a bogus protest.
More than 40 BAA staff and airport contractors attended the inquiry yesterday at a building close to the passenger terminal. The Timeshas learnt that BAA encouraged staff to join the protest by suggesting that their jobs would be at risk unless the expansion was approved.
Ryanair and other airlines that use the airport have repeatedly accused BAA of failing to provide enough security staff to cope with the extra checks introduced last year. Scanning machines are frequently left unmanned and passengers have to queue for up to an hour to pass through security.
(...)
BAA admitted that staff had been given time off to attend the inquiry.
But it claimed that there had been no impact on passengers because the protest began after the morning peak.
The company also admitted that its claim that jobs could be lost was based on the theory that airlines would move to other airports if expansion was rejected. It failed to point out to its staff that all other London airports were either full or close to capacity.
Brian Ross, of Stop Stansted Expansion, said BAA had misled staff to suit its commercial agenda. “It is bizarre when passengers are standing in security queues to send security staff to protest about the local MP speaking at a public inquiry.
“Many of our supporters are airport employees who feel that enough is enough and that excessive expansion could threaten their future job security, not to mention their quality of life.”
Quite a weird example of a PR-policy, isn't it?
Source: The Times

sunday8pm
19th Sep 2007, 18:03
Hi, this is my first post on the forum. i'm somewhat of an aviation enthusiast and live in Sudbury, Suffolk. Those of you familiar with it will know its about half an hour from London Stansted and is overflown by landing aircraft (90% of the time).

My parents have a holiday house in Tenerife and have been using the scheduled GSM route from STN on monthly basis. Now they have pulled all services from Stansted I am going to be forced to use Gatwick.

What chances do you think Ryanair or Easyjet will launch a scheduled service STN-TFS anytime soon?

The same thing has also happened to me with Air Berlin pulling all their domestic routes. Working in Manchester... I used the daily service return from STN-MAN Fridays and Sundays...

Do you think any airlines will pick this route up? I used it frequently, and it was always very busy.

Ringwayman
19th Sep 2007, 18:08
Eastern Airways will start 3 daily weekday services to Manchester using thier J41s. You'll have to go to their website for more details.

sunday8pm
19th Sep 2007, 18:17
Thanks. At least someone will fly the route. All be it on a tiny plane and at almost twice the price!

What about STN-TFS?? Surely its only a matter of time before Ryanair pick that one up!

ExpectmorePayless
19th Sep 2007, 23:23
Sunday8pm,

Perhaps the Monarch service from Luton to Tenerife South would be an alternative ? Certainly closer than Gatwick. Tue, Fri, Sat & Sun flights on flyMonarch.com. You pay less, but can expect more service than Ryanair, in that you can buy a hot or cold meal, and get free newspaper, allocated seats rather than a free for all at the gate and a hot towel service. :ok:

Oh and the crews are first class..so why not give us a try ? ;)

Musket90
20th Sep 2007, 07:12
Sunday8pm,

Believe Thomas Cook, First Choice and Thomsonfly will all fly STN-TFS this winter but Fridays only, so possible flight only could be booked.

sat1
20th Sep 2007, 13:51
Has anyone picked up on all the rumours about swissport losing airlines and being on notice for consistently poor performance at stansted? Surely this can't ALL be rumour? Norweigan,turkish not happy,Cyprus ready to cut ties.There is a saying 'no smoke without fire' Anyone care to comment?

sat1
20th Sep 2007, 13:54
How will they cope with AA?Does the airline know what they are letting themselves in for?

pamann
20th Sep 2007, 14:10
Just a question....
Passed through Stansted last weekend and noticed the lack of use of airbridges. Both Thomsonfly and First Choice were using steps, are the airbridges broken??? I understand why Ryanair don't use them but Easy do at Gatwick and no Easy planes (or any plane for that fact) had any attached at sat 1 or 2. Just a question to anyone in the know.:)

Crusher1
20th Sep 2007, 16:00
I passed through STN yesterday, returning from Skavsta and it took 80 mins from landing to get through the airport, mainly due to queues at immigration, I've been held up at security before but never like this trying to get home!

pamann
20th Sep 2007, 16:10
I suffered the same issue with Immigration on Monday night around 2330. We were held prior to Immigration for 10 mins because the Immigration area was too busy. Once allowed through the Immigration area prior to baggage reclaim was hell! A sea of thousands of people it took forever to get through. The fact that every based FR plane lands back between 2300-0000 doesn't help (40 plane loads = 7500 people) not forgetting any other arrival.:ugh:

Mr Flaps
20th Sep 2007, 17:46
Eastern Airways will pick up the MAN route when AB stop the route at the end of October. The airline plans to run three flights a day during the working week.
As for the jet bridges yes they are broken. FCA and TOM would be on the bridge if they where working.

Have heard that TK are not happy with swissport but its them or back to S/Air or Avaince.

JulietNovemberPapa
20th Sep 2007, 17:52
Yeah, I've experienced the awful queues at STN between 2300 and 0000 on quite a few occasions. My most recent flight into STN (from DUS) arrived at 2030, and there was only one person in front of me for immigration - what a blessing! :ok: However, my next two flights into STN (from SVQ and CIA) are scheduled to arrive at 2300 and 2345 - nooooooo! ;)

pamann
23rd Sep 2007, 19:53
Anyone in the know have any updates on planned charter activity for the Summer 2008 season?
From what I can see looks like just First Choice & Thomas Cook with based aircraft?
Does anyone know of....

Any new routes?
Are XL staying or going?
What aircraft types the charters plan to base?

Thomsonfly are leaving April '08 or are they? With the First Choice merger and FCA coming under TOM's AOC from April '08 does this mean that the base remains open? Be sad to see them leave otherwise.

sat1
26th Sep 2007, 09:12
Rumour reaching these ears suggests CSA are leaving stn because of increased landing fees. Anyone got any info?

D-ABAA
26th Sep 2007, 09:42
Yes, CSA are pulling out of STN last flight 31OCT. Unaware of reason behind it.

sat1
26th Sep 2007, 10:52
blimey!!!! air berlin dropping their domestic flights,sky europe AND csa pulling out,hmmmmmm look out everyone at circusair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sat1
26th Sep 2007, 10:55
servisair's 'european brothers'(poles) must be more than a little bit worried.

sat1
27th Sep 2007, 09:05
with all this doom and gloom going on at servisair,it would'nt happen to be wage negotiation time? hhmmmm.........now there's a thought!

Hounddog1
27th Sep 2007, 20:03
Guys, while you are slating circusair, you forgot to add that Pegasus destered them for Swissport ......

Maybe airlines like TK who cleared off to Swissport have realised that circusair was not that bad after all .......

Hollymead
28th Sep 2007, 09:32
CSA must one of Stansted's longest serving airlines , sad that they are going , anyone know what year they started ?

D-ABAA
28th Sep 2007, 09:35
No slating Servisair at all :bored:

The point Sat1 was making was the airlines are pulling their STN routes not dumping S/Air for S/Port & Aviance.

Pegasus if you hadnt noticed dont seem to be happy with anyone first S/Air then moved onto S/Port but now there handled by Aviance:eek:

Rumour has it that Cpyrus Airlines have given Swissport 30 days notice, and with Swissport dumping two bins full of bags in as many days on the run to the undercroft from the A/craft no wonder!:yuk:

tommyc2005
28th Sep 2007, 10:36
Yes CSA started in 1995, so over 12 years of continuous service. It is sad that they are going, probably a combination of the company restructuring as they were encountering financial difficulties (LGW was dropped a long while back), and over-capacity in general to Prague. When it started I believe it was the only route to Prague outside of LHR and MAN, now Prague is served by multiple airlines from most regions.

sam dilly
28th Sep 2007, 17:09
Titan + Jet 2 charter wth a mix of 757/737/ba146,and the occasional Air Med A321 will again be operating Mondays Fridays and quite a few other odd days STN/LDE/STN on behalf of Tangney Tours,I believe that for 2008 thet will actually start in February and go through to November.
They always seem to get a jetbridge for those ops,it must be something due to the number of wheelchair pax on those flights.

freightdoggy dog
29th Sep 2007, 19:16
Sam,

We do not always get a Jetbridge for these ops as BAA Stand Planning can screw up occasionally. Not that the LDE destination would be a BIG clue and that these ops might have a lot of WCHRs !!!!

The Jetbridges are a disgrace anyway with rubbish everywhere even when they do work. Current QSM shown to the AOC had an outage of unplanned maintainance of around 25% against a predicted 2% for August. Bear in mind they count in the 2 stands on Sat 1 that dont have Jetbridges to bump up the Jetbridge servicablity percentage, I kid you not!

However we a promised 5 NEW Jetbridges for 2008, but note they say NEW not BRAND NEW !!

As for SO8 , wait and see, I havent had any confirmation of contracts signed yet and I should know !

sat1
30th Sep 2007, 12:45
As for SO8 , wait and see, I havent had any confirmation of contracts signed yet and I should know !
please do tell.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
6th Oct 2007, 08:40
Danish low-cost airline STERLING is to start five new routes from Malmö Airport, including flights to Stansted, 3 months after Ryanair announced it was withdrawing from the southern Swedish airport.
Services from Malmö to Stansted, Nice, Florence, Barcelona and Alicante will be launched by Sterling, starting on 10th March next year. The announcement means that Malmö Sturup will maintain its links to the British capital, Spain's second city and the south of France after Ryanair's routes to London, Barcelona and Marseilles are axed next month.
Sterling already operates a large number of flights from Copenhagen Kastrup Airport and has recently been expanding rapidly from Stockholm, Gothenburg and Oslo.

SAM-EMA
6th Oct 2007, 09:55
What is your source for Stansted, I am aware that the flights will operate to Gatwick, as that is where Sterling's London operation currently is, please correct be if I'm wrong.

SAM-EMA

DONTTELLTHEPAX
6th Oct 2007, 10:36
SAM EMA
Im not going to give the website as I will get
told off again by the MODS, try this,
uk airport news with some www's and a com.

I hope this info is ok with the MODS :ouch:

STN Ramp Rat
6th Oct 2007, 12:04
I would be supprised if they operated MMX-STN. I believe it is planned for LGW. The Sterling press release does not say STN only London.

stansted_dan
11th Oct 2007, 18:03
Can anyone shed any light on a couple of random Eos movements, that have been showing up on the departures board?

Firstly was yesterday at around 2245, Eos to Boston. I saw all the pax in the fast track queue, and lets just say that (dressed in their tracksuits and many of them late-teens to early-twenties) they certainly didn't look like a business charter. Maybe some kind of sporting occasion, I really don't know?!

And then again today there was an Eos flight showing to Minneapolis.

Ringwayman
11th Oct 2007, 19:00
Might be tied into the US Basketball match played yesterday in London (think one of the teams involved was Boston Celtics).

Throat
11th Oct 2007, 19:18
the other team was Minnesota Timberwolves

FEROMAN
11th Oct 2007, 21:36
Yes, the airbridges on Satellite 1 are long past their sell-by-dates and maintenance has been a little sparse, but there will be 10 new airbridges on satellite 1 early next year. Even A10 will be replaced despite it being a relatively new one. All brand spanking new from Thyssen - 5 in March and 5 in May I believe. :ok:. And all the Sat 2 bridges are getting a full re-paint internally along with some new carpets over the next few weeks.

sat1
12th Oct 2007, 08:38
Hey Feroman, does Ryanair fly to the planet your living on? 'cos clearly you aint on planet earth. 10 bridges!! all brand new!!
On a more realistic note....does anyone know who has got the cape verdi contract? people are suggesting its servisair.

snillocsat4
12th Oct 2007, 11:06
Cape Verde with Serviceair twice a week :D

go_edw
12th Oct 2007, 13:48
do you know who is operating the cape verde service?

thanks

airhumberside
12th Oct 2007, 13:56
TACV, the main airline of the Cape Verde Islands

FEROMAN
13th Oct 2007, 00:27
Well it was 5, it's now 10. Watch this space - you heard it here first

DONTTELLTHEPAX
13th Oct 2007, 08:06
I hear that AA are more than happy with bookings and are looking at two more destinations from STN late 2008 :ok:

Anyone know anymore on this ? I guess one of the routes must be Chicago and poss Dallas, I have also noticed that STN is not yet on the AA route map, It shows London then offers LHR and LGW.

jack_essex
13th Oct 2007, 17:56
Glad to hear AA think the route is doing well. Where did you read this? I read on the AA website that they said they were pleased with the response and that a lot of bookings were leaving LHR, returning STN and vice versa. My family are booked to fly the route in March along with 9 of our friends. I have been promoting the route rather well so far!!! LOL.

Seat62K
14th Oct 2007, 09:43
MAD is another conspicuous omission ex-STN. Any rumours? (Come on, Ryanair...!)

DONTTELLTHEPAX
18th Oct 2007, 19:10
October 18, 2007 — In celebration of its second anniversary today, Eos Airlines, whose “Uncrowded” travel experience has captured the loyalty of premium trans-Atlantic travelers, announced it will begin flights between New York’s JFK and Paris, and Newark and London Stansted Airports in 2008. With a recent infusion of $50 million in investment capital, Eos also announced it will secure its seventh and eighth Boeing 757 aircraft in order to introduce as many as four new routes in 2008.

SOTV
20th Oct 2007, 17:17
Well, I've just transited through Stansted twice in the past week and the whole process was painless and professional. No delays, decent check in staff, efficient security.

From arrival at gate from LEI to getting into bed at a hotel about 10 miles away was about an hour. It was a first experience of Stansted and it was enjoyable compared to a lot of other places.

Cheers.

:}

D-ABAA
24th Oct 2007, 14:21
Aviance given Eastern Airways contract for the STN - MAN route starting 29 OCT. :rolleyes:

DONTTELLTHEPAX
25th Oct 2007, 11:24
Israir Airlines, the largest domestic carrier in Israel that also offers flights to and from Israel and European destinations, is launching new flights between Stansted and the Israeli resort Eilat this winter. It is also increasing the number of flights on its route between Stansted and Tel Aviv.

sam dilly
25th Oct 2007, 12:26
Any truth in the rumour that a great big piece of internal pannelling on a jetway fell down last Friday 19 Oct ,just as the pax were about to start boarding the Jet 2 LS2001 to Lourdes ?
How long will it take till somebody gets killed on these dreadfull ,dangerous,
dirty,deadly.degenerate jetways ?
Dont blame the low cost carriers.
:=

Stanstedeye
25th Oct 2007, 17:06
TOM are also doing a Sunday flight from 04/11 as TOM8231

DONTTELLTHEPAX
25th Oct 2007, 17:24
Any idea when BAA will put the Summer charters onto the website:confused:

Stanstedeye
25th Oct 2007, 17:28
Summer schedule 2008 should be posted next week

DONTTELLTHEPAX
25th Oct 2007, 17:52
Thats good news, are we to expect anything other than the "norm"
would like to see some longhaul charters, over the pond would be nice,
well maybe when summer 2009 comes about :zzz:

pamann
26th Oct 2007, 06:46
would like to see some longhaul charters, over the pond would be nice,

Thomson are adding a range of "fly cruise" and "cruise and stay" holidays from Stansted to La Romana on the Dominican Republic using Thomsonfly for Winter 2008/9. A strange move to use Thomsonfly when you consider they are pulling the plug on their Stansted base.

airhumberside
26th Oct 2007, 09:27
Not that strange when First Choice will have a STN base and I take it the two airlines will be merged by then?

DONTTELLTHEPAX
28th Oct 2007, 21:40
Anyone know what the loads are like for the First AA from/to JFK
tomorrow ?

jack_essex
29th Oct 2007, 20:54
There is a press release on the BAA website regarding the new AA STN - JFK flight. The inbound AA124 landed 10 minutes early this morning so off to a good start. I will be flying this route in March, it just seems such a long way away.

LGWAlan
30th Oct 2007, 12:49
How did the inaugural go? On time? Loads?

Stanstedeye
30th Oct 2007, 18:40
Last flight from STN tomorrow.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
30th Oct 2007, 18:43
Any news on FR or EZY picking up the TFS route ???

Stanstedeye
31st Oct 2007, 20:48
STN summer Charter schedule is now on line

Evileyes
10th Nov 2007, 15:20
Stansted handling posts moved to: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=299789

stansted_dan
15th Nov 2007, 12:41
I have a question for anyone that knows much about Stansted....whilst at work today walking over the bridge to Sat2 I noticed something I haven't seen before.

To the right hand side as I walked across there is a building, several metres infront of the terminal. On the side of it I could read Gate 90 and Gate 95. What are/were these gates? I assume they're redundant, were they once used for remote stands or something? The building is sandwiched between two roads and it looks like there may have been bus stops there.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
15th Nov 2007, 16:32
Its the APV building, used many times as you say for remote stands before sat 3 was built and before the top of sat 2 was in use, thats where we trained for our PA's.I remember boarding Air UK Leisure from there, all alone with 140 pax :O in my first week, them were the days.

I cant remember its full name but something like Advanced Passenger something cant remember what the V stands for.

Stanstedeye
15th Nov 2007, 18:12
Flight cancelled today, only started on the 29/10, any reason given?

Subject 117
17th Nov 2007, 08:51
It appears their Thursday flight doesn't start until December

FEROMAN
17th Nov 2007, 10:30
i.e. "Bus" Terminal. God knows who thought that one up :8

TUGNBAR
17th Nov 2007, 17:59
The APV is there for when the Satellite trains go down.

stansted_dan
17th Nov 2007, 23:00
Ahh that's great, thanks very much! Where does the APV building link up to, there appears to be a walkway leading somewhere into a lower part of the terminal?

And another question then if you don't mind?! You say that it was used before the top of Sat2 opened....so did the gates on the bottom half of Sat2 originally extend the whole length of the satellite, as opposed to just halfway down (the domestics) these days? And when the top of Sat2 opened, were there ever any gates the whole way along, or has one and always been deadspace?

Just curious, cheers!

FEROMAN
18th Nov 2007, 12:05
What a lot of questions. The Satellite 2 Domestic lounge has always only ever gone as far as it is on the middle level and the space directly above it has been unused since the building was built. A bit of a waste really, but they are looking at developing it for International use maybe next year. In the domestic lounge you can see the boarded off areas where the escalators were originally built to go up to the top level and down to the TTS station.

And the APV tunnel into the terminal links to some steps that come down from the Departure Lounge. That's so it can be used to get passengers to coaches if the TTS Train is not available.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
20th Nov 2007, 16:48
Newyork,
Fort Mayers,
Puerto Plata,
Punta Cana,
Male,
Phuket

On AirBerlin's website it now lets you book the above routes from
Stansted but you do have to go via Germany but for me it beats
fighting my way around the M25 to LGW/LHR.

IRRenewal
20th Nov 2007, 20:57
Just a bit of fun.

Go to google maps, put in 51.88214,0.230412

Might need to zoom in a bit.

Now, I know ATC at STN is good. But this close?

(I would assume it has something to do with the way they use multiple images to construct the big picture. Must have caught the same A/C twice)

rusty_c
22nd Nov 2007, 17:21
Im going to have to disagree with you. I'd rather fly from STN with AA, or save a few quid and get the train or drive to LGW or STN than take a flight in the wrong direction.

South Side 1
29th Nov 2007, 15:41
IRRenewal, well it passed a couple of minutes, like you say it may be a double image but they are both FR so who knows they may be have a game of last one on stand gets the coffees in.

Sorry Rusty C I'm with DTTP on this one think I'd rather get a connecting flight out of STN, wouldn't have thought there would be much in the price either.

Any news of any new airlines into STN ???????????

SS1

Skipness One Echo
4th Dec 2007, 09:24
I often fly both domestic and International from Stansted so here's a question. Once I go beyond the ( occasionally unmanned ) desk at the entrance to the domestic gates, am I not allowed back towards the shops if I forget something? The reason I ask is that passengers arriving from UK domestic are not permitted access to the Departure Lounge even though they have probably just cleared BAA Security at Glasgow or Edinburgh ! I remember last year wandering back down because my Ryanair flight was delayed and the little man at the desk wasn't there. Why are connecting passengers forced to be x-rayed, poked and prodded YET again. I asked a pleasant enough BAA Security chap who flashed an ironic smile and said that there were sterile and non sterile areas but I got the impression he thought it was mad too. Since I don't have the opportunity to mingle with arriving international passengers, what's the issue?

Cheers

FEROMAN
4th Dec 2007, 20:31
Passengers from an International airport are not security screened to UK DfT requirements and therefore the airport is legally required to keep them separate from all other passengers until they are either landside or re-screened for an onward flight.

If you go on a Domestic (or International now) flight that departs from the Satellite that you walk across the bridge to then there is no reason why you couldn't walk back down the tunnel and turn left back to the Departure Lounge - you may be challenged to confirm why, but you can still do it as long as you have your boarding card. The security guy there is to prevent arriving Domestic passengers from going into the lounge. I guess the BAA might actually like that as they could sell more, but I think it's primarily a customs requirement.

Skipness One Echo
4th Dec 2007, 23:24
So is it possible to clear security at BAA Glasgow / Edinburgh, exit the domestic pier and catch a connecting flight ( on line check in and boarding pass printed ), at Stansted by turning left into the Departure Lounge rather than right, out via UK arrivals and back in again?
If not, why not?

carousel
5th Dec 2007, 11:29
The answer to your question is you are, provided you have a valid boarding card for a Sat 2 gate and you are no later than your official boarding time, you can wander back and forth to your hearts content. The BAA guy/gal may ask you why if they are there, the reason for their absence is because if there are no inbound Domestic flights there is no one to keep separate.

FEROMAN
7th Dec 2007, 21:36
It's not quite so easy := - if your boarding card is an Internet print out then than needs to be bar code scanned and that can't happen at that desk - only at the main search area. You would only be allowed along that route with a "normal" valid boarding card and you are unlikely to have one of those without having checked-in at Stansted