PDA

View Full Version : STANSTED - 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17

pamann
1st Jun 2016, 05:19
To be fair LTNMan you need to chill because I for one wasn't having a dig at you. In general I think your posts have matured in your older days and are generally balanced compared to your earlier ones which showed a huge lean towards that airport on a hill. However, as for reading the LTN thread, if I'm honest weekly updates of amateur photos of half built car parks, hangers and general building mess don't really do it for me, so I'll use my spare time wisely and pass on that one thank you. I'm sure the usual Lutonian fan club enjoy it as you seem to have them praying at your feet with your posts.

pamann
1st Jun 2016, 05:37
And one other thing, why are you so obsessed with travel times to London by train? Do you think everyone lives in London and everyone wants to travel by train? You believe this to be the number 1 reason for an airport's popularity? If so why is Luton not as popular in reality as your fan boys thread seems to be? To be honest Stansted is easier than Luton from where I live and I happen to have a London post code. Luton is a total ball ache of an airport to get to and hardly fills me with joy so I tend to avoid it like the plague where I can (my personal view of course). So you are basing all these travel times and distances on a belief that every London passenger, in fact every London airport passenger originates or resides in Charring Cross? Your system is flawed. Ever considered that some folk arrive at an airport by coach or by car? Stansted has the biggest use of public transport of any UK airport when arriving or departing by coach. It also has one of, if not the biggest open air car park in the whole of Europe. So based on those two points do we 'Stansted' win two points in your stupid game of 'My airport is better than yours'?
Please? Haha

Pain in the R's
1st Jun 2016, 05:52
So everyone sees the battle between STN and LTN, which STN has clearly won and will continue to do so as it has the capacity to allow Ryanair to grow but it has never come close to taking on Gatwick.

With regards to Gatwick and Stansted, Stansted is the equivalent of Luton when comparing Gatwick to Stansted. So far, for all the money MAG have put into the place nothing has changed and still it hasn't picked up a single long haul passenger scheduled service.

I can't help but think that STN should be doing better as most of its growth is once again coming from the Irish Harp and as history has shown they can just as easily remove it if they don't get their own way.

pamann
1st Jun 2016, 06:09
Here we go again

Yawn :hmm:

AirportPlanner1
1st Jun 2016, 06:44
veiled poke at LTNman again I assume

Absolutely not, you have come to your own conclusion about that.

One of the reasons for all of the LTN posts is that there is so much going on

True, but 8 threads worth? In that time LHR got themselves a brand new terminal plus total renovation of another, not to mention the never-ending saga of the additional runway. LGW has had much work, plus the push for a new runway. STN had the rejected runway, a new owner and a lot of work. LCY have had a new owner and proposals for development. SEN pax-wise effectively got themselves a brand new airport. LTNman, I find your development updates interesting but I'm afraid that thread also has a lot of hot air.

LTNman
1st Jun 2016, 08:45
Stansted has the biggest use of public transport of any UK airport when arriving or departing by coach.

That sounds like total rubbish. Please back up that statement with some facts please.

Public transport is key to an airport being successful and should be promoted by all parties.

Luton is a total ball ache of an airport to get to and hardly fills me with joy so I tend to avoid it like the plague

So would I if I didn't live so close to it

FRatSTN
1st Jun 2016, 12:11
I can second that... STN does have the highest proportion of passengers using public transport of any UK airport. I think it's about 40%. I can't be bothered at the moment to find a link to be brutally honest, but should be quite easy to find somewhere.

daz211
1st Jun 2016, 13:01
So on to some real news ...

The Ryanair route from Stansted to Oslo Rygge will transfer to Oslo Gardermoen from
29 Oct 2016 due to new tax laws.

LTNman
1st Jun 2016, 15:21
I can second that... STN does have the highest proportion of passengers using public transport of any UK airport. I think it's about 40%. I can't be bothered at the moment to find a link to be brutally honest, but should be quite easy to find somewhere.

Actually you are way out with an under estimate but you are right that Stansted does indeed lead the way.

London airports have the highest proportion of passengers travelling by public transport with Stansted the highest (50 per cent) followed by London City (46 per cent) and Luton with the lowest (29 per cent).

Public or private transport, how do you get to the airport? Latest CAA passenger survey highlights stark regional variations | UK Civil Aviation Authority (http://www.caa.co.uk/News/Public-or-private-transport,-how-do-you-get-to-the-airport--Latest-CAA-passenger-survey-highlights-stark-regional-variations/)

Scottish Flyer
1st Jun 2016, 16:45
Yesterday the Independent on-line reported the launch of a new airline which plans to fly between Stansted and Amritsar and Ahmedabad in India using an Airbus A330-300. Called flyPOP - "People over Profit" it is being part funded through crowdfunding and aims to give 51% of all profits to charity. It was officially launched on Sunday at the Indian High Commission in London and has quite an impressive website. It proposes operating as low-cost all economy.

davidjohnson6
1st Jun 2016, 17:03
The idea of POP is appealing initially but I'm not sure it's a good idea. Airlines like any other company need to make a decent profit for shareholders, and to be able to comfortably pay off any money they borrow in the form of debt, AND reinvest in their product and people. If not, the outcome is often (eventually) customers finding their airline has financial difficulties and the original flight timetable not being honouref

daz211
1st Jun 2016, 18:05
Very nice website it looks very good not a school boy project by a long shot
Hope it works out for them.

Itchin McCrevis
1st Jun 2016, 18:49
Well you've got to say they seem to have thought it out and put a lot of work in before rushing out for PR - which is always a good sign and it does not seem to be run by an ex-pilot which is another :E

Whether a "crowd funded charity shop" model will work in the airline industry remains to be seen, I predict a bumpy financial ride, but then they said Branson was crazy back when he started, and in the words of GBS "all progress depends on the irrational man".

This bit made me smile:
"First 7000 Gold Pass investors to have their name on aircraft belly of POP’s fleet"
That's one complicated decal - unless it's going to be one aircraft each?!

daz211
1st Jun 2016, 21:12
Lots of holding for Stansted tonight anyone know why? Poss weather?
Also see that according to flight radar 24 flight FR211 DUB - STN diverted to LHR
And and EZY to SEN.

AerRyan
1st Jun 2016, 21:38
Poor visibility. LVP's in place.

Buster the Bear
2nd Jun 2016, 11:43
POP Airline targets UK-India flights - Business Traveller (http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/pop-airline-targets-uk-india-flights?)

pamann
2nd Jun 2016, 20:17
I really like the flyPOP livery. The name may have to grow on me.

In fact their website with the coloured circles reminds me of the old Stansted based 'Go-Fly' ads.

Itchin McCrevis
3rd Jun 2016, 23:08
yes they had already been christened "goPOP" in our office :O

daz211
4th Jun 2016, 05:45
Can't see this mentioned in previous posts and have not heard any chatter.

Fly One has been operating charter flights to Antalya, Heraklion, Rhodes, since April, 2016 and starting with June 2016, it will have regular flights to 9 European and Russian destinations as Verona, Parma, London Stansted, Dublin, Lisbon, Barcelona, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Voronezh..

Seljuk22
4th Jun 2016, 10:48
FlyOne is a Moldovan airline operating from Chisinau. 2 weekly flights starting 27th June with planned A320 aircraft.

wings folded
9th Jun 2016, 14:43
I need to bring up to date my critique of Stansted vis-a-vis PRMs. Just recently arrived there , not having booked assistance because if the distance is not too wicked, I can normally cope despite my disability (see posts round about 3455)

Two factors intervened. As seem to be their desire, STN ignore gate 42 to 50 something on that pier, and dump you as far away from the terminal as possible. This was the case.
And I had torn a calf muscle just before and could scarcely advance. My ground speed was about the same as my stall speed.

I saw that there was a minibus lined up to take wheelchair and broken limb victims, and asked the driver if I could hitch a lift, although I had not booked.

This chap (employee of Omniserve) was full of wit, compassion and good humour, with a repartee which may have been lost on our overseas guests, because he said at one point "you must have crashed in mid air because there are more PAX injured who are disembarking than the number who boarded."

But he was terrific. Drove a weird route around the apron and it seemed like he would plonk us on the luggage conveyors, but they have a secret lift which opens just in front of passport control, and the sometimes rather hostile Border Control folk, see that if you emerge from this lift, you are probably not able to amble through their maze of tape to get to the desk, and give you a short cut.

It made a hell of a difference to me, and I am grateful to him and Omniserve. And BC

So three points emerge. I take back how useless STN is. They were wise enough to contract with what seems a good outfit.

But the service I got was down to Omniserve. Why do STN not use all the gates nearer the terminal? Can't be dodgy airbridges because they don't use them. The aprons appeared in good nick. Why, therefore?

And, a minor detail, but my Omniserve hero offered onward assistance to my train.

I had a huge wait for the train, and thought I might take a bite to eat. Is he allowed to wait for that, or do I call them for onward assistance? After eating? I am really unclear about this.

Another poster remarked that assistance is often total; carry off, wheelchair through to departure, by train, taxi, private pick up or whatever.

I can move small distinces by my own locomotion, but have immense difficulties in standing in a queue. I don't need a wheelchair lift on, nor lift off, although my fellow passengers hate the time I take to negotiate the stairs. Perhaps they learn patience that way.

They still get to arrivals before their baggage, so is there any harm?

canberra97
9th Jun 2016, 18:47
wings folded

Strange post indeed is this the right forum for that!

wings folded
9th Jun 2016, 19:02
I thought that a thread to do with Stansted where earlier I had been critical was the right place. And I gave the references.

Where should I have posted this in your infinite wisdom?

Blackpool? Manston?

Or are you just looking to stirr?

pamann
9th Jun 2016, 20:08
wings folded

Good customer service is only as good as the people who provide it. Evident in your experience.

wings folded
9th Jun 2016, 20:42
Exactly so. My omniserve bloke was a gem

Even BC, not noted for "customer service" was exemplary this time round.

terrain safe
10th Jun 2016, 18:57
Reference why a/c are not parked closer to the terminal all the time. I'm not an airport or airline employee, I work in ATC, and we don't allocate stands only let the pilot know where they are parking.

Sometimes it's because the gates are domestic only and so international aircraft won't park there or vice versa. Also perhaps your flight was the 6th flight due into the apron in that rotation, but actually arrived first. The airline won't change stand at the last minute unless absolutely necessary, as the handling crews have to move to the new stand, so your stand is left as it was. Also, even though you may be first in, the aircraft might be the last one out and so again left alone.

These are just some of the reasons why your stand allocation may be illogical. During the night, there are so many aircraft towed around an airport, I think that they are in alphabetical order by the morning!

Anyway hope this helps.

davidjohnson6
11th Jun 2016, 16:18
Ryanair operate a large number of routes from Stansted during the summer months, some of which are seasonal. Some routes are more profitable, some less so. Some routes fit better into the long term vision the board has of the company, other routes not so much.

6 Ryanair routes from Stansted that operated over summer 2015 do not operate during summer 2016. In their place, Ryanair launched a few new routes instead. I imagine as an evolving company with a strong focus on profitability, Ryanair will terminate a few Stansted routes currently operating over summer 2016. Anyone care to suggest what they might be ? No prizes for guessing Oslo-Rygge, Oslo-Torp or Pescara...

Routes operated in summer 2016 but not summer 2017 - Kos, Oslo-Rygge, Parma
Routes operated in summer 2015 but not summer 2016 - Haugesund, Skellefteå, Clermont-Ferrand, Rodez, Strasbourg, Tampere
Routes operated in summer 2014 but not summer 2015 - Gothenburg-City (switched to Gothenburg-Landvetter), Malmö, Toulon
Routes operated in summer 2013 but not summer 2014 - Dole, Klagenfurt, Maastricht/Aachen
Routes operated in summer 2012 but not summer 2013 - Graz, Patras/Araxos, Rimini, Turku, Valladolid
Routes operated in summer 2011 but not summer 2012 - Agadir, Glasgow-Prestwick, Lübeck, Pau, Trapani
Routes operated in summer 2010 but not summer 2011 - Belfast-City, Brescia, Ciudad Real, Figari, Leipzig-Altenburg
Routes operated in summer 2009 but not summer 2010 - Angoulême, Basel/Mulhouse, Friedrichshafen, Granada, Montpellier, Newquay, Zweibrücken

AirportPlanner1
11th Jun 2016, 17:49
I had no idea Haugesund has gone, I actually wanted to go there for hiking this year having not got round to it before. That route had been going for years, as has Toulon which I also didn't know had gone. Shows how big FR are now st STN that these things can go unnoticed.

Is there a particular reason why Pescara might go? I thought it was quite popular in the summer?

davidjohnson6
11th Jun 2016, 18:36
Ryanair had a row with Pescara at the start of the year. Back in March the head of Pescara airport went to Dublin to persuade Ryanair in Pescara's favour but to no avail.

I have a feeling it's something to do with Pescara being perceived as giving Alitalia an unusually good deal but I could well be wrong on this.

http://www.anna.aero/2016/02/04/ryanairs-italian-base-closures-analysed-we-reveal-which-routes-to-alghero-and-pescara-will-survive-into-w1617/

davidjohnson6
13th Jun 2016, 17:11
Moldovan airline seem to have deferred the start date of their Stansted-Chisinau route from 27 June to 15 July. Wonder if their aircraft will appear on 15 July or there will be a further deferral...

Hostie89
15th Jun 2016, 10:33
Anyone have any news on the medical emergency at Stansted on 13th June at approx 2230L involving an EasyJet aircraft? I heard it was a crew member, I hope they are ok?

davidjohnson6
16th Jun 2016, 22:09
No idea whether any of this is true or not, but makes for an interesting read about FlyOne who are currently selling tickets for flights to/from Stansted for travel beginning 15 July 2016
New Airline in the Pocket of the Minister of Justice (http://anticoruptie.md/en/investigations/economic/new-airline-in-the-pocket-of-the-minister-of-justice)
http://anticoruptie.md/en/investigations/economic/new-airline-fly-one-and-private-interests-of-the-civil-aviation-authority-director-confirmed-by-iss

In particular, the 2nd link seems to say that the director of the Moldovan CAA indirectly owns part of Fly One. Again, I repeat that I have no evidence whether this is true or not besides the web link. Is there anyone reading this who is able to provide some better verification ?
Would the UK CAA, MAG or Stansted at this stage have likely done any due diligence checks on Fly One, just to make sure that things look reasonably ok ?

Edit - just seen that the Prime Minister of Moldova ordered the head of the Moldovan CAA to resign because of a suspicion of a conflict of interest
http://www.anticoruptie.md/en/news/head-of-civil-aviation-authority-who-was-subject-to-a-recent-investigation-on-anticoruptiemd-portal-resigned-at-the-request-of-prime-minister-pavel-filip

Wonder if FlyOne will actually make it to Stansted or not...

pamann
21st Jun 2016, 07:45
Today on the departures/arrivals board I'm seeing 'Alderney' with Aurigny. Have I missed something? New route or one off?

FRatSTN
21st Jun 2016, 11:34
Looks like BA CityFlyer will be at STN again for Summer 2017 with flights from 27th May on the same routes as this year.

Aero Mad
21st Jun 2016, 13:19
pamann, likely a mistake as it's listed as cancelled, and the flight number relates to a Southampton - Alderney flight scheduled for a similar time. Jolly odd though.

AirportPlanner1
24th Jun 2016, 06:42
What are people's thoughts on the impact on STN?

I think this is bad news, I can see FR in particular impacted by the double-whammy of lower leisure demand caused by the fall in the pound, and the inevitable restriction on migration from overseas.

LTNman
24th Jun 2016, 07:46
A dropping pound means cheaper holidays for people living outside the UK so there is a great opportunity.

As for migrants being restricted, that won't stop it will just be better controlled.

terrain safe
24th Jun 2016, 09:18
A dropping pound means cheaper holidays for people living outside the UK so there is a great opportunity.

As for migrants being restricted, that won't stop it will just be better controlled.
Depends if the UK joins the European Economic Area or not.

SealinkBF
24th Jun 2016, 12:02
Hmm. If Britain wants access to the European Market (like Norway) we have to accept the free movement of people in the EU area.

What Britain could always control was non-EU migration.

stuinn
24th Jun 2016, 14:50
Cobalt Aero sa new Cyprus-based carrier, using the former Continental code CO.

Summer flight plan according to
Cobalt Outlines Scheduled Operations in 16Q3 :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267513/cobalt-outlines-scheduled-operations-in-16q3/)
is this:

eff 07JUL16 Larnaca – Athens 2 daily
eff 07JUL16 Larnaca – London Stansted 6 weekly (Day x3)
eff 07JUL16 Larnaca – Manchester 2 weekly (Day 47)
eff 08JUL16 Larnaca – Chania 2 weekly (Day 57, switching to Day 35 from Aug 2016)
eff 08JUL16 Larnaca – Irakleion 2 weekly (Day 25; Day 26 from HER)
eff 08JUL16 Larnaca – Thessaloniki 4 weekly (Day x247)
eff 09JUL16 Larnaca – Dublin 2 weekly (Day 36)

LTNman
24th Jun 2016, 18:53
Ryanair have said no more investment in the UK for the next 2 years so that also means Stansted I guess as well. Wonder if that will mean no more new routes or based aircraft here?

NickBarnes
24th Jun 2016, 19:26
Cobalt prices aren't half bad for new start up, website well designed, I hope they do well

STN Ramp Rat
24th Jun 2016, 19:37
the original article has gone but the taster is still on line

Cobalt director indicted in Switzerland, in connection to money laundering | A1.AM (http://a1.am/en/2016/06/17/cobalt-director-indicted-in-switzerland-in-connection-to-money-laundering)

Buster the Bear
24th Jun 2016, 20:48
As the UK has probably reached/reaching saturation point with flights, I'd take the Ryanair words with a pinch of salt.

Itchin McCrevis
24th Jun 2016, 22:12
That was my first reaction - the low cost airlines have collectively flooded the market and available infrastructure (incl airspace) with so much capacity they need a face saving excuse to put the brakes on.

Itchin McCrevis
24th Jun 2016, 22:16
There were rumours/warnings circulating about Cobalt from Cypriot sources a few weeks back - but I didn't bother mentioning anything on here as it would have been deemed another "anti-Stansted" conspiracy post.

southside bobby
2nd Jul 2016, 10:37
MAG advising me that TOM to introduce Montego Bay from STN in 2017...

davidjohnson6
2nd Jul 2016, 12:47
Fly One, a Moldovan airline were due to launch flights from their base in Chisinau to Stansted, in competition with existing flights with Air Moldova. Originally planned to go on sale on 27 June, then deferred to 15 July. Looking at their website, I can't see any date in the next month for which flights are on sale.

Earlier in the summer, the head of the Moldovan CAA was fired by the country's president owing to concerns of a conflict of interest in his roles as head of the Moldova CAA and his indirect ownership of a large number of shares in FlyOne. Questions are now being raised around the role of the Minster of Justice as well. Perhaps not the first choice of airline for Stansted ?

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/245928-stansted-2-a-177.html#post9411047

Update 07 July 2016 - London no longer appears on the list of destinations on the FlyOne website. Seems that FlyOne have either cancelled or significantly postponed any plans they may have had involving Stansted or any other London airport.

MATELO
7th Jul 2016, 14:59
Alert at Stansted airport passenger gun shaped phone case | UK | News | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/687071/Alert-at-British-airport-passenger-with-gun-shaped-phone-case)

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

southside bobby
7th Jul 2016, 17:24
Inaugural Cobalt CO/FCB service from Larnaca a few minutes from touchdown:ok:.....but admittedly 3 hours late...

SWBKCB
7th Jul 2016, 18:52
Passenger caught with GUN-SHAPED iPhone case

When I was a lad it was cigarette lighters shaped like hand grenades that people were surprised they couldn't bring back from their holidays...

Itchin McCrevis
7th Jul 2016, 18:53
TOM to introduce Montego Bay from STN in 2017

correct, it replaces one Orlando rotation

wowzz
11th Jul 2016, 09:59
You couldn't make it up!
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/11/stansted-setting-sun-blinds-border-control-hi-tech-cameras

FRatSTN
11th Jul 2016, 13:42
Well fortunately summer sunsets aren't till around 20:30 / 21:00 when there's quite a heavy break in the arriving traffic anyway!... In all seriousness though I have heard it to cause one or two problems previously.

TSR2
11th Jul 2016, 21:54
Maybe, just maybe a set of sun blinds are called for. Or is this too simple.

southside bobby
13th Jul 2016, 10:03
Another goodly one for STN..... 2,188,990 pax for June = +6.3% gives a rolling 12 month total for 23,459,816..:ok:...ATM`s & Cargo also increased in June..

FRatSTN
25th Jul 2016, 11:55
Ryanair is to cut Stansted frequencies this Winter now following the Brexit vote though no routes will close completely.

On further investigation it seems to be mainly mid-week days during November and again during January/early February that are affected.

Bit disappointing but makes some sort of sense I suppose as the absolute lows of the low season. Plus Ryanair are already well ahead of their growth target agreements with MAG.

LTNman
25th Jul 2016, 13:10
They cut frequencies every winter so it has nothing to do with Brexit

FRatSTN
25th Jul 2016, 15:28
That's not the case LTNman unless you are simply comparing winter seasons to summer seasons, in which case of course you will have less traffic.

In fact, quite often Ryanair introduce new routes and frequencies for the winter and carry them through to the following summer.

But more to the point, they've cut frequencies as of today for the upcoming winter season on several routes but as I say, only for certain dates during November and January.

LTNman
25th Jul 2016, 16:25
So what you are saying then is that they have cut frequencies for this winter compared to last winter?

I seem to remember large swathes of Ryanair aircraft parked up last winter when Brexit wasn't a factor.

FRatSTN
25th Jul 2016, 18:10
They have cut the planned programme for this winter. Several routes have had flights cut that were previously available to book.

Yes there are new routes since last winter... Hamburg, Sofia, Timisoara to name a few although some Italian routes were cut previously due to the new travel tax there, so not sure exactly how it compares to last winter.

But the point is that they will now operate a reduced schedule to that previously planned for this winter, so not disastrous by any means.

And in terms of parked aircraft, there were far fewer last winter compared to previous years.

Itchin McCrevis
25th Jul 2016, 20:35
They cut frequencies every winter so it has nothing to do with BrexitThey cut frequencies on leisure routes every winter compared to summer across their network and they also further cut frequencies on low days in deepest winter compared to peak winter leaving numerous airframes temporarily parked up. Winter cut backs reduced significantly at STN following the volume based deal with MAG but now they seem to be reverting to their old ways and blaming it, rightly or wrongly but very conveniently, on Brexit.

There fixed that for you, no need to argue anymore

FRatSTN
25th Jul 2016, 20:44
I see what's happening... How predictable! :rolleyes:

Itchin McCrevis
25th Jul 2016, 23:02
yep when it comes to Ryanair it's same old leopard and same old spots.

Bagso
27th Jul 2016, 08:49
The RYR cuts seem at odds with massive expansion up North ?

MANFOD
27th Jul 2016, 09:21
The RYR cuts seem at odds with massive expansion up North ?Wasn't the expansion recently mentioned for BHX, LBA and NCL for summer 2017 with schedules now on the RYR web site? Not sure what's happening at those airports for winter 16/17 but certainly MAN has got new Ryanair routes to Germany for this coming winter.

It will be interesting to see what Summer 2017 looks like for the MAG airports when schedules are loaded.

Barling Magna
27th Jul 2016, 11:58
Now there are articles in several newspapers about this, for example:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/25/ryanair-to-reduce-number-of-flights-from-london-stansted-airport

Ryanair to cut back on UK flights in favour of EU routes after Brexit vote | Business News | News | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/ryanair-flights-brexit-eu-referendum-easyjet-british-airways-fares-prices-a7154366.html)

davidjohnson6
27th Jul 2016, 13:15
Did Ryanair operate Stansted-Comiso last winter and were they planning to fly it in the coming winter ?
No flights seem to show beyon 01 Nov 2016

FRatSTN
27th Jul 2016, 13:43
Comiso did operate last winter yes. It's part of an earlier announcement where several routes in Italy will be cut / cancelled this winter due to the new tax imposed in Italy. Alghero, Parma and Pescara also will not operate from STN this winter.

FRatSTN
8th Aug 2016, 22:38
Must of missed this one but Montenegro Airlines are currently doing a weekly Stansted to Tivat on Monday mornings until 5th September.

Still going 4x weekly from Gatwick but not sure if this was perhaps a sort of quiet toe in water in response to easyJet.

Itchin McCrevis
8th Aug 2016, 22:52
I would guess that they couldn't get slot at Gatwick for this extra (5th) rotation, especially if it is a short season flight it would be well down the pecking order for slots. This is going to be happening more and more unless the market starts to contract again.

AirGuru
9th Aug 2016, 19:32
Hearing rumblings of a Jet2 base ...

Itchin McCrevis
9th Aug 2016, 19:37
Likewise... question is more "when" than "if"

AirGuru
9th Aug 2016, 19:55
Correct, more than likely for S17.

pamann
10th Aug 2016, 08:41
If these rumours are true it'll be a game changer for Jet2 entering the SE market and offer an alternative to FR/EZY. :ok:

Falcon666
10th Aug 2016, 09:01
Does anybody know how full STN is for based overnight stands inc remotes?
Given that Jet2 couldn't get into LGW or LTN simply because they are at capacity I wonder if they could have considered SEN as an alternative.
We will have to wait and see how many are based, guess they will be will sun routes only but you never know.
BHX now STN interesting!

chaps1954
10th Aug 2016, 09:53
Would have thought SEN was a no go due to aircraft size

FRatSTN
10th Aug 2016, 10:48
Both FR and EZY base fewer aircraft at STN overnight now than in the past.

FR now fly far more overseas based aircraft into STN and EZY have reduced their network significantly over the years (just 7 aircraft now - was 14/15 at one time).

The only time they may have to do more remote parking is when TCX/MT have their extra aircraft over the summer holidays.

pamann
10th Aug 2016, 11:15
Not forgetting that SEN's opening hours aren't exactly flexible for late arrivals.

Be interesting how many aircraft they'll base and where they'll operate to. Can't think of any major gaps in STN's current offering, this is of course if/when it happens.

Expressflight
10th Aug 2016, 12:54
The B738 cannot operate efficiently from SEN so that would rule them out I should imagine.

AirportPlanner1
10th Aug 2016, 13:50
I see Air Asia are returning to Europe with Barcelona as their first destination, starting in October. I wonder if London is under consideration, and whether STN may benefit?

FRatSTN
10th Aug 2016, 14:15
I think LGW will get that one myself but would be good to see them back at STN.

FRatSTN
10th Aug 2016, 16:54
Stansted welcomes news about trains | Cambridge News (http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/stansted-welcomes-news-about-trains/story-29606369-detail/story.html)

Falcon666
10th Aug 2016, 20:14
Only considered SEN as half the Jet2 fleet is 737-300 series.

whitelighter
11th Aug 2016, 08:53
In terms of Jet2 routes it would be nice to see some completion on popular destinations from STN.

Jet2 current fly regularly to Barcelona and Reus from just about all of their current uk airports and the option to fly there with a carrier other than Ryanair should bring some much needed route competition. Luton/Gatwick/Heathrow all have multiple carries to BCN

LTNman
11th Aug 2016, 09:21
Any route competition with Ryanair will be good for the passenger but Ryanair has very deep pockets to see off that competition so I can't see Jet2 taking them on.

FRatSTN
11th Aug 2016, 09:32
whitelighter - I couldn't agree more.

If you look at maybe ALC, FAO, LPA, REU... bar maybe 1 or 2x flights a week, FR is the only carrier. MAH is still only served by TOM and MT to date, HER only by TOM (though FR do go to CHQ).

Even some of the smaller regional airports like BHX, EMA, LBA and NCL have at least 3 or 4 carriers on most of these routes, and as for MAN... There's undoubtedly room for another carrier at STN and LS seem the least phased by competition from FR.

The popular sun destinations ie Mainland Spain, Balearics, Canaries and Portugal would be a given I'm sure. Would be nice to see them have a go at some of the city routes too, though perhaps would be a much braver move?

sunday8pm
11th Aug 2016, 13:16
Jet2 flying to the Med and Canaries from STN would certainly be a good development for the customer, Ryanair are overdue a bit of competition.

Itchin McCrevis
11th Aug 2016, 17:15
Jet2 are not stupid, they won't go up against Ryanair in it's own back yard on routes where they don't have a starting allocation of "protected" traffic courtesy of Jet2 holidays.

They also have little brand awareness in London so I can't see them being positioned to compete in the London-Barcelona market for a while unless, again, they can deliver a strong city breaks programme through Jet 2 holidays.

I think the competition they bring to the market will be as much with Thomas Cook and Thomson as with Ryanair. Overall therefore I think they will be a good fit for Stansted.

FRatSTN
18th Aug 2016, 08:49
Ryanair to add 2x weekly Stansted - Agadir from November.

They will also now continue with Pescara 5x weekly over the winter and may also reopen Alghero from as early as November should an agreement be made regarding their Alghero base.

And before anyone mentions the previously announced Brexit cuts... there are still a number of reductions with GOT, GLA and EDI now seeing some quite significant frequency reductions over the winter.

intortola
18th Aug 2016, 12:21
Has this been mentioned previously?

NEW ROUTE: British Airways (https://www.facebook.com/britishairways/) has announced a new route from London Stansted to the French Alps. The twice-weekly service to Chambery will start in December

LTNman
18th Aug 2016, 13:51
Ryanair to add 2x weekly Stansted - Agadir from November.

So much for the Ryanair bullsh!t about cutting back on UK expansion.:=

compton3bravo
18th Aug 2016, 17:16
I think you are bring a bit harsh there LTNman. Practically all the new routes will be operated by non-UK based aircraft and there will be a considerable reduction scheduled for Stansted. if you read the statement it said that UK based expansion would not happen and be replaced by expansion in continental Europe.

pamann
18th Aug 2016, 19:57
Can the E190 make it to say Tenerife? Winter sun routes like the canaries could be a winner especially with a Club Europe cabin. Some pretty rich folk in Essex and Herts who would pick this over Ryanair.

AirportPlanner1
18th Aug 2016, 20:27
pamann, I think they can just about but the question is would the rich folk want to be tied down for a week? A lot of the rich Essex folk I know would rather go to the Carribbean, Thailand etc in winter anyway, especially if they've got that long away from the office

BAladdy
18th Aug 2016, 20:39
Can the E190 make it to say Tenerife? Winter sun routes like the canaries could be a winner especially with a Club Europe cabin. Some pretty rich folk in Essex and Herts who would pick this over Ryanair.

Would have thought so as it doesnt have the weight restriction problem that it would have from LCY due runway length

pamann
18th Aug 2016, 21:15
But you could also argue: who wants to go to Berlin Sunday back Friday?

Yes there's a market for shorter breaks. But people still clearly go away to the canaries for a week.

Thomson and Thomas Cook have also opened up the longhaul leisure market and the flights are selling very well. Who would have thought this would be the case just five years ago.

The market is in evolution and Stansted isn't doing too bad from it.

AirportPlanner1
18th Aug 2016, 21:44
Sunday to Friday in Berlin might not be too popular, but Friday to Sunday in London is quite attractive. Regardless, I'm not sure that BA are making a serious effort to serve the STN-Berlin market - it's more a glorified ferry to get the aircraft in place for the sunshine flights.

I don't disagree that many want to go to the Canaries for a week, I'm questioning whether it's a market for the well heeled. There are also practical considerations - a round trip to the Canaries takes a while and the aircraft is needed back at LCY on the Sunday too early.

pamann
18th Aug 2016, 21:50
But those E190's have a whole day Saturday that could make it work. There's some untapped rich pickings in terms of routes that could be served weekly in the summer months too, such as Sicily/Sardinia/Italy in general. Greece JTR/JMK which similarly operate ex LCY also.

Anyhow, only my thoughts.

Any more rumbles from the Jet2 rumours? It doesn't seem to be discussed on the Jet2 thread, so where exactly are these 'rumours' coming from?

davidjohnson6
19th Aug 2016, 00:16
In winter 2015/2016, did Ryanair operate between Stansted and Ponta Delgada in the Azores ?
It's not available for winter 2016/2017, weekly frequency is low and fares on the route are not particularly high. I'm wondering if this route depends on marketing support that may end soon and is at risk of not returning for summer 2017.

Tranceaddict
29th Aug 2016, 20:34
AirAsia X to resume Kuala Lumpur London flights with Airbus A330neo jets - Australian Business Traveller (http://www.ausbt.com.au/airasia-x-to-restart-london-flights-in-2018-with-airbus-a330neo-jets)

AerRyan
29th Aug 2016, 21:23
They did operate last winter.

canberra97
29th Aug 2016, 22:12
I can see LGW getting Air Asia X upon their return to London and as much as I would like to see them return to STN I think LGW will be successful in gaining the Kuala Lumper route.

pamann
4th Sep 2016, 01:04
So after a stint down the road, it looks like AtlasGlobal are back with their schedule to IST from the 31st October :ok:

LTNman
4th Sep 2016, 07:00
It's a good win from its Bedfordshire neighbour and is what competition from rival airports is all about, as they try to poach each others business.

compton3bravo
4th Sep 2016, 12:26
I am not so sure LTNman traffic to Turkey is way down for obvious reasons, you have only to look at Turkish Airlines reducing there services to the UK and other European countries. Being an old cynic I would suggest the Luton deal has run its course so let's go back to Stansted with a new deal there and compete with Pegasus.

davidjohnson6
4th Sep 2016, 13:08
I'm not that familiar with the London-Istanbul market, but there seem to be an awful lot of flights each day on this route. BA, Pegasus and Turkish all seem to fly multiple times per day and have a significant market share and large connecting bases to promote traffic. Atlas Global is a much smaller airline and flies just once per day to London. What is the market Atlas Global are targetting, and are they actually making money on what seems to be a possibly overserved route ? Is there really room in the market right now for a small number 4 airline against 3 big players ?

rutankrd
4th Sep 2016, 13:20
What is the market Atlas Global are targetting, and are they actually making money on what seems to be a possibly overserved route ?

Northern Cypriot communities in North London as flight goes onto Ercan/Tymvou after the stop in Istanbul.

davidjohnson6
4th Sep 2016, 13:44
rutankrd - I'm terribly sorry if I'm being a bit thick, but when I look at schedules for the future, Atlas Global doesn't seem to have a particularly compelling connection via IST between London and Ercan - Pegasus via Izmir seems far more targetted to this connection. Looking on FR24 over the last 7 days, none of the aircraft used by Atlas Global have served Ercan immediately before or after going to/from London - the only route one could argue is being targetted is perhaps London-Trabzon on a few days per week but I imagine immigration requirements rule this out and I've not heard of this being a particularly lucrative market. Is there perhaps something else I'm missing ?

Itchin McCrevis
5th Sep 2016, 21:40
London-Ercan via IST has been a good market for Stansted going back decades and Stansted is best placed of all the London airports geographically for the Turkish Cypriot Community.

This AtlasGlobal move however has the feel of a "last throw of the dice" and I can't see them competing effectively with Pegasus but we shall see.

Keyvon
6th Sep 2016, 08:09
Neilson is to offer a new charter route to Zadar (Croatia) for S17.
Flights are operated on Sundays using Titan Airways.

compton3bravo
8th Sep 2016, 06:30
You seem to have got Jet2, well done. Interesting times for easy and Ryanair.

LTNman
8th Sep 2016, 07:04
It might mean that easyjet eventually leave Stansted once Luton has gained some capacity at the end of next year seeing that they don't seem to have put any effort into growing their business here despite their Stansted agreement.

AirportPlanner1
8th Sep 2016, 07:19
Interestingly the only tweet about it so far is from 'Madeira Holidays'. So that could be one of the routes right there, and it is currently unserved.

compton3bravo
8th Sep 2016, 07:20
I would think also Thomson and Thomas Cook will be looking over their shoulders as well with Jet2 holidays seemingly doing very well.

LGS6753
8th Sep 2016, 08:18
Jet2 had little choice if they were looking for a London base - nowhere else has capacity. Also, Jet2 competes with Ryanair from its northern bases, and will employ the same competitive tactics at STN, i.e. selling package holidays rather than lcc flights.
As Compton says above, it's Thomson and Thomas Cook who are under threat here, although they are accustomed to the competition from J2 Holidays elsewhere.

daz211
8th Sep 2016, 08:24
Big thanks to Ryanair for leaving the door open and MOL for throwing his toys out of his pray over Brexit.
I think Jet2 will do very well at STN as Easyjet have gone down hill in so many ways as well as a reduction in A/C just gives us all more options at STN :ok:

FRatSTN
8th Sep 2016, 08:34
As far as I'm aware it maybe a significant number of based aircraft so not a small network by any means... Guess We'll have to wait and see what routes are announced.

STN Ramp Rat
8th Sep 2016, 08:53
Dart Group AGM Statement and Announcement of New UK Base | Jet2.com (http://www.jet2.com/News/Dart_Group_AGM_Statement_and_Announcement_of_New_UK_Base/)

Dart Group AGM Statement and Announcement of New UK Base

08th September 2016

At the Company’s Annual General Meeting later today, Philip Meeson, Group Chairman and Chief Executive, will make the following statement:
"The good start to the financial year as reported in our Preliminary Results Statement of 14 July 2016 has continued, with summer Leisure Travel bookings showing no signs of slowdown. Demand for our higher margin package holiday products continues to grow and as a result the number of package holiday customers, as a proportion of total departing customers, is also increasing. Though airline ticket yields and load factors are slightly lower than those achieved in summer 2015, this is against a backdrop of a 13% increase in seat capacity. Leisure Travel bookings for winter 2016/17 are satisfactory at this early stage.
Continued encouraging progress is beingmade at Fowler Welch, our Distribution & Logistics business, which is currently trading in line with expectations.
The Board is also pleased to announce London Stansted Airport as our ninth UK base. We expect to welcome customers on board our holiday flights from this new base in spring 2017. We believe that London Stansted has great potential for our holiday business, serving the populations of North and East London and the East of England.
In view of the significant investment which will be committed in the second half of this financial year to launch our London Stansted and recently announced Birmingham Airport bases, it is likely that Group operating profit will be slightly behind current market expectations despite the good trading performance achieved in the year to date.”
The Group will provide a further update when it announces its interim results for the six months ending 30 September 2016 on 17 November 2016

LTNman
8th Sep 2016, 09:06
Big thanks to Ryanair for leaving the door open and MOL for throwing his toys out of his pray over Brexit.

Anything that dilutes Ryanair's power over Stansted has got to be good for the airport. Little acorns comes to mind:ok:

Luton will see this as a major lost opportunity but they should have started their redevelopment at least a year earlier so now they are reaping the reward due to a lack of capacity.

FRatSTN
8th Sep 2016, 09:33
In all fairness STN I think is much better suited for this one, and the fact that it's a MAG airport I'm sure helps. As has been said a lot of the main holiday destinations from STN are under-served and in some cases only served now by Ryanair, so a bit of competition and more choice for customers is a much welcome addition.

LTN already has a much bigger leisure focused network with EZY, ZB a bigger TOM short-haul network and a bit of FR arguably on the popular sun routes that LS would want to serve.

It will be interesting to see if this leads to any future impact on EZY at SEN, ZB from LGW and LTN in particular and of course the TOM and MT networks out of STN... I'm guessing also a more immediate impact is that the Luton thread on here may go a bit quieter than usual for a few days :E

pamann
8th Sep 2016, 10:58
I think this is a great win for Stansted and the London & SE area. A big 'two fingers up' at Ryanair who are still harping on about 'Brexit' whilst throwing their toys out of the pram. :rolleyes:

In recent weeks Stansted has gained...

A year-round offering from BA Cityflyer

AtlasGlobal returns from Luton with their service to Istanbul Ataturk

Jet2 :ok:

I'm not sure Easyjet would leave Stansted, if anything they still have a massive foothold on the more business focused routes such as GLA/EDI/BFS/AMS etc. We could in fact see them try to protect their turf. What we need to do is wait until Jet2 announce their route offering and for EZY to announce their schedule for next summer.

STN Ramp Rat
8th Sep 2016, 11:47
Pamann

Iam not sure why you should be so keen to stick two fingers up at Ryanair, theyprovide a lot of Jobs in the area and have shown more commitment to STNthan any other airline.

I agree that their dominance is not healthy and the news of a Jet 2 base is most welcome but remember this is the first foray into the South for Jet2 and the yields are much lower and the competition much tougher than the North. This is compensated by the size of the market which is much larger than the North.

Aircraft are mobile assets and both Easy and Jet2 are stock market listed companies they have to make their assets work hard for the shareholders and neither will have a second thought about moving these assets to another location if they can make more money at the other location.

Personally I wonder if this might end up being the final nail in the coffin for EZY at STN. If the leisure routes become unprofitable due to the competition then, with the increased competition from Ryanair on the business routes, they may just throw the towel in and close the base. In that case it’s a zero sum game and Stansted will not have benefited from the change.

On a final note I wonder where the Slots have come from, it’s fairly crowded in the morning in the terminal and also airside.

pamann
8th Sep 2016, 12:01
STN Ramp Rat

I am fully aware of Ryanair's dominance at STN.

What I am saying is that whilst Ryanair harp on about 'Brexit' and use it as an excuse to base aircraft elsewhere, it's great to see a British airline such as Jet2 having good faith in the UK and expanding. Simple.

We can all sit here and speculate, but we will just have to wait and see, won't we. ;)

inOban
8th Sep 2016, 12:43
I see that all Ryanair's new aircraft are to be based outside the UK. It is possible that some of their existing STN routes will now be operated from the other end, freeing early morning slots for Jet2.

HeartyMeatballs
8th Sep 2016, 13:01
Another Brexcuse. Blaming Brexit for moving out actually benefits the UK. An English airline has benefitted by opening another UK base, so more profit and more tax to be kept and more good quality real jobs. There really are no losers if Micky bases his aircraft but at least be honest. You're doing it because it's cheaper and that's nothing to do with Brexit.

FR bases new aircraft outside of the U.K? Fabulous news.

STN Ramp Rat
8th Sep 2016, 13:23
Never make the mistake of believing Ryanair’s publicity. News is just free advertising. There will not be much more Ryanair Expansion at Stansted there is no more room for a first wave departure, although I accept that the airport must have found some for Jet2, and they have fairly much filled the airport around 8AM with aircraft arriving from Europe.

Hearty Meatballs ~ I am glad you think that opening a base means more profit, hopefully it does but it’s not a given. I suspect this will hit EZY more and unfortunately that's also British Jobs and British profits. Like I said earlier, I think this will work out as a zero sum gain for the airport but I would love to be wrong.

daz211
8th Sep 2016, 13:32
I wonder how long before we know more about destination and how big or small the operation will be at Stansted
Most if not all Airlines have listed their summer 2017 schedules so I guess Jet2 will have to act fairly quickly to get seats on sale
I also hope Jet2 have thought about Cross media advertising including TV adds because the Jet2 brand is up there with Easy and Ryanair in the north but not so much down south

pamann
8th Sep 2016, 13:37
Jet2 have been in the media (TV) in the south for ages now thanks to Sky. I regularly see them advertise during ad breaks.

daz211
8th Sep 2016, 13:42
Pamann
I agree but if people have see and gone to look in the past they would have seen no offerings for flights from any London Airport
What's needed is an TV add campaign like Norwegian are running at the moment ��

FRatSTN
8th Sep 2016, 14:17
I'm sure they'll be TV advertising for flights from Stansted. In the Midlands there's been lots of general Jet2holidays and "Jet2 Now flying from Birmingham to 15 Summer Sun Destinations" TV advertising.

LTNman
8th Sep 2016, 15:18
I think this is probably the best story to come out of Stansted for a good couple of years. Ryanair can bluster and still sulk about Brexit but there is a British airline that has a bit more faith in the UK than the Irish harp.:ok::ok::ok:

AirportPlanner1
8th Sep 2016, 16:02
I suspect there are more than sufficient slots for a significant Jet2 operation. FR used to base 42(?) aircraft, now it's 34/35?. EZY as we know have lost 4 or 5 aircraft. Yes FR operate more from overseas bases now but even some of those slots were broadly used by Air Berlin, Germanwings, Skyeurope and others when STN was at its previous peak.

FR's night arrivals are also concentrated between 11-midnight. From 9 until 11 there is a lot of capacity, also after midnight. Looking at MAN and LBA that would seem to suit Jet2 who have just one arrival at each between 11-12 and actually quite a few before 9pm and after 1am.

JB007
8th Sep 2016, 16:24
Lack of route announcement and aircraft compared to the BHX press release! Wet/Damp lease maybe? STN based ACMI/Charter airline?!?

pamann
8th Sep 2016, 16:29
Lack of route announcement and aircraft compared to the BHX press release! Wet/Damp lease maybe? STN based ACMI/Charter airline?!?

I think we'll likely know more by next week.

There was word here earlier down the thread of a possible five aircraft from the start.

I'd guess it to be more leisure based rather than head to head on the more business focused routes, time will tell.

Curious Pax
8th Sep 2016, 17:35
Or new Boeing 737 delivered to Stansted with a media fanfare and an official launch next week?

Tranceaddict
8th Sep 2016, 19:14
Initially 6 based 737-800s from Spring 17

LTNman
8th Sep 2016, 19:23
That will focus a few minds!

Musket90
8th Sep 2016, 20:04
Stansted based Titan seem to have a good relationship with Jet2 leasing aircraft for them this summer at Leeds and Manchester and also previous summers at various UK airports.
So maybe leasing aircraft from Titan is an option for the new Jet2 Stansted base.

FRatSTN
8th Sep 2016, 20:09
It crossed my mind but Titan don't have any Boeing 737-800's so would be unlikely. I see no reason why it won't be on their own metal.

Jet2.com website has an ad on their home page adverting Stansted as 9th UK base inviting customers to sign up for email offers and to "find out first" when Stansted flights go on sale.

FRatSTN
8th Sep 2016, 20:39
Looking at the Jet2 aircraft based in ALC and PMI for Summer 2017 it seems there's one or two gaps in the schedule... Notably Monday mornings on the ALC based aircraft and both Thursday and Saturday afternoons/evenings on the PMI aircraft. I'm guessing these may be for STN flights?

Another thing also about today is it begs the question how long before a New York flight is confirmed? As brief a schedule it may be, I'm sure we'll be seeing these come Christmas 2017/18, but who knows there may even be a regular operator to New York by then?

I wonder if Jet2 could even announce this when they reveal their Summer 2017 destinations... when does Jet2 normally release Winter schedules?

Itchin McCrevis
8th Sep 2016, 20:46
A Jet2 base at Stansted well well - just goes to prove that some snippets posted on here are hints rather than rumours. The next rumour is that it will be more than 5 aircraft but less than 7.

As I have said before though a "good fit" for Stansted and much needed if Ryanair have reverted to type and are trying to hold the airport to ransom (again).

davidjohnson6
8th Sep 2016, 21:30
It is worth remembering that while Easyjet have a base, even if it is not very big, they retain some degree of negotiating power with Luton and, to a lesser extent, Gatwick.

If Easyjet were to close their Stansted base, that negotiating power is lost. Of course, the negotiating power depends on Luton and Gatwick believing that Easyjet have the stomach for a fight against Ryanair and that Easyjet are able to make money out of having a larger base at Stansted.

Once a base is closed, it becomes much harder to restart as anybody working for a different company in aviation is that bit more cynical as to an airline's long term intentions

Senior management at Easyjet will want to think carefully about long term strategy negotiating tactics before closing a base at Stansted given the shortage of London airport capacity. I'm not ruling out, but it's a major step to take for an airline that claims to be pan-European but gains a very large amount of its profits from flying to/from London.

LiamNCL
8th Sep 2016, 23:15
Welcome to the Jet2 Network STN! Healthy competition for the likes of TOM & TCX just like up here in the north

wowzz
9th Sep 2016, 06:27
Let's hope Ryanair and Easy do move some aircraft away from STN. The place cannot cope with current pax numbers (lack of seating, dirty toilets, long immigration queues etc) now, so God only knows how it will cope with extra numbers.
This announcement merely strengthens my resolve to avoid the place like the plague.

compton3bravo
9th Sep 2016, 09:06
If the rumours are to believed about up to six B737-800s being based with some flights coming from Spanish bases this is a huge flying programme to start off with and I would guess practically all the destinations are already well served from Stansted. Where Jet2 might score is selling the whole package (I know Thomson and TC do) but I would suggest Jet2 will undercut on price. Also nice to see a civilised discussion on this forum instead of this silly my airport is better than yours carry on. With the amount of traffic set to grow in the future even with the yet unresolved discussions regarding the UK's relations with the rest of Europe, all airports in the South East of England should be able to live in some sort of harmony - let us hope so.

Council Van
9th Sep 2016, 11:38
Jet2 is a holiday airline, they are not at Stansted to compete on seat only sales. They are in the South East to sell the whole holiday package.

Destinations will be typical Med ie: Palma Alicante, Malaga, Ibiza Canaries. Faro, Cyprus and Greece.

Mention was made of regular New York flights for Jet2. This will not happen, the 757's are far to busy in the Summer to be waisted going to New York and back.

The new 737's will be turning up at more than one a month so leasing in will not be necessary specifically for Stansted though they may well lease in airframes in the peak season as they have done for many years.

AirportPlanner1
9th Sep 2016, 17:29
I agree it will be mainly Med, they do a few other other routes though that aren't currently served from STN - eg Jersey, Düsseldorf, Paris so there might be a few surprises in there. I wonder if they might also fancy going up against EZY to Belfast.

pamann
11th Sep 2016, 16:38
Do you think we'll have an announcement tomorrow or this week on the proposed schedule and aircraft basing for Jet2?

FRatSTN
11th Sep 2016, 18:22
Normally Thursdays for new routes I think; probably with a big media setup for an official launch. I would've thought it will be this week, time is ticking on a bit as it is.

pamann
11th Sep 2016, 20:05
They may be waiting on the arrival of a shinny new Boeing for the fanfare launch? I'd expect it this week so they can maximise forward bookings.

Don't expect any surprises... I think it will be the usual network of sun routes. Be good to see some competition mind on the likes of ALC and FAO. Watch this space.

WHBM
12th Sep 2016, 01:41
I'm starting to get the feeling that Ryanair and Easy at their London bases are becoming a bit complacent; apparently a notably high proportion of their profits comes from there, as opposed to the less dense routes across other European points, and they seem to be allowing the likes of Norwegian at Gatwick and Jet2 at Stansted (and even Wizz at Luton) to come in and start picking off markets they have developed.

Easy gave up Gatwick to Moscow while Aeroflot moved even more onto widebody A330s on their London route - maybe Easy were just too believing about Foreign Office anti-Russian hyperbole. For Ryanair, I'm still hacked that they abandoned Stansted to Tampere, Finland's second city, where we were regular users, and so are a fair number of Finns as well.

Itchin McCrevis
12th Sep 2016, 19:21
I'm starting to get the feeling that Ryanair and Easy at their London bases are becoming a bit complacentI don't consider companies of this calibre to be complacent, but I do catch vibes that they feel a little under siege. Neither of them have the equivalent of the "capacity fortress" that BA occupies at Heathrow.

apparently a notably high proportion of their profits comes from there,Which explains why the new predators/chancers are pushing in.

Buster the Bear
14th Sep 2016, 09:41
Travel Agents in the east of England say Jet2.com’s decision to open its first southern base at Stansted will finally give the trade a “look-in” at their local airport where Ryanair has a “stranglehold”.

Agents welcomed the unexpected announcement by the trade-friendly, low-cost carrier and tour operator, traditionally based in northern England, particularly as many had “given up” on using their closest airport.

Jet2, the fourth-largest registered airline in the UK, revealed last week that the airport would become its ninth UK base. Flights will start next spring, but routes have yet to be announced.

Paul Bennett, director of Colchester Travel, which has four branches including one 10 miles from the airport, said: “It’s very positive news to have competition at Stansted, traditionally a Ryanair stranglehold. When Ryanair moved in, it killed everything [trade business] because it’s all direct.

“The trade don’t get a look-in; we gave it up as a local airport. We send most people from Gatwick or Heathrow and rarely use Stansted.” The agency hopes to establish a relationship with Jet2.

East of England Co-op, which has 13 branches across Suffolk and Essex and a new store opening in Ipswich next week, said the move would open up Jet2’s low fares to its customer base.

Sean McLaughlin, head of specialist businesses, said: “With Jet2 coming to Stansted, a popular airport for our customers in East Anglia, we’re looking forward to seeing a growth in sales of Jet2 flights and package holidays.”

Fred Olsen Travel group retail manager Paul Hardwick said: “We tend to sell four and five-star properties, but if we can fly from Stansted and put together our own accommodation and tours, we would definitely work with 
the airline.”

In July, Jet2 revealed Birmingham would become its eighth base, and two weeks ago it launched a recruitment drive for nearly 1,000 staff, including cabin crew, pilots and engineers.

Jet2 has already recruited a new sales executive dedicated to the Stansted area to work with the trade from October. A spokesman said: “Agents should expect, and will receive, the highest level of support from our dedicated team.”

Jet2’s Stansted announcement comes seven weeks after Ryanair said it would cut capacity from the airport following the Brexit referendum vote. Stansted is Ryanair’s biggest UK base.

Philip Meeson, chairman and chief executive of Jet2’s parent company Dart Group, said it saw “great potential” for business out of the east of England and north and east London.

Skipness One Echo
14th Sep 2016, 18:41
Ryanair have a way larger % at STN than BA do at LHR though?

Itchin McCrevis
14th Sep 2016, 19:10
Ryanair behaviour this winter and next summer points to a cooling of the relationship with MAG/STN, the latter might be relaxed about this dominance being erroded slightly for 2017.

Buster the Bear
14th Sep 2016, 20:06
How about the big increase announced this week by Ryanair at Manchester for next summer, MAG must be doing something right?

daz211
14th Sep 2016, 20:17
Nothing to do with brexit nor a cooling of friendship it's all down to early morning slots or the lack of than it will be interesting to see what jet2 has managed slot wise and how many A/C are based at STN also might be some jet2 routes not using STN based A/C very interesting times ahead at STN and if what I heard is correct 2 or poss 3 new Airlines before S17 don't ask me which ones because I wasn't told the full story but my contact has inside knowledge of both MAN and STN ops

Callum Paterson
14th Sep 2016, 20:18
People still use Travel Agents?! Stone me!!

Buster the Bear
19th Sep 2016, 11:40
https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/stansted-boss-urges-government-to-lift-passenger-cap-6834

sinbad73
19th Sep 2016, 13:55
They need to invest in some cleaners - the place was absolutely filthy last time I was there.

daz211
19th Sep 2016, 14:27
That has really surprised me I went through last week twice and noticed how spotless the airport was I was very impressed with the whole experience the security area was very easy and the time it took to get through was amazing in peak time it took me 15 mins but back to cleanliness SAT1 looks very impressive and was also spotless.
Not sure why we both had so different experiences of the same Airport

TSR2
19th Sep 2016, 23:34
[QUOTE]Not sure why we both had so different experiences of the same Airport[/QUOTE

Maybe because you both travelled through in different centurys.

BFS BHD
20th Sep 2016, 11:10
Jet2 routes on the timetable on their website.

Falcon666
20th Sep 2016, 11:24
Looks like just sunshine routes, 16 destinations at present but no City breaks as yet!

FRatSTN
20th Sep 2016, 11:52
Flights are now available to book - with inaugural flight leaving on 30th March 2017.

Total of 21 destinations across Croatia, Cyprus, Greece, Portugal and Spain with 83 weekly departures on six based Boeing 737-800s.

Alicante - 7x weekly (daily)
Crete (Heraklion) - 3x weekly
Dubrovnik - 3x weekly
Faro - 7x weekly (daily)
Fuerteventura - 2x weekly
Girona - 2x weekly
Gran Canaria - 3x weekly
Ibiza - 7x weekly (daily)
Kos - 2x weekly
Lanzarote - 4x weekly
Larnaca - 3x weekly
Madeira - 2x weekly
Malaga - 7x weekly (daily)
Menorca - 3x weekly
Palma de Mallorca - 9x weekly
Paphos - 2x weekly
Pula - 2x weekly
Reus - 4x weekly
Rhodes - 3x weekly
Tenerife-South - 6x weekly
Zante - 2x weekly

LTNman
20th Sep 2016, 11:57
Wow, that is a lot of routes. MAG must be delighted.

daz211
20th Sep 2016, 12:01
This news is amazing for Stansted and will work well for Jet2
Well done Stansted for gaining such a massive schedule and so many routes :D

pamann
20th Sep 2016, 12:08
Whilst no major surprises, that's a pretty impressive network of routes! Nice to see Madeira and Pula in there. :ok:

FRatSTN
20th Sep 2016, 12:38
I'm surprised to not see Corfu on there and would've thought maybe 1x weekly to Dalaman or Antalya.

Madeira is definitely a welcome addition and Pula perhaps the biggest 'surprise' in there.

Great to see them filling in the much quieter afternoon period around 14:00 / 15:00 too.

Some decent frequencies as well. Unusual for LS to not have a single route at just 1x weekly.

pamann
20th Sep 2016, 13:10
Bookings to Turkey are down in some cases by 40% with the tour operators. Given the current offerings by Thomson/Thomas Cook, something tells me this is a wise decision as the travelling Brits are reverting back to the traditional package destinations seen as a safe bet.

I too was surprised at the lack of Corfu, would have been nice to see Thessaloniki too, but let's give them scope for expansion in the future. Such scale as we see as a base launch is impressive to say the least.

Keyvon
20th Sep 2016, 13:42
Looks like another nail in the coffin for EZY's ailing presence at STN as they will compete with LS on AGP, PMI, IBZ, ZTH, DBV & possibly GVA + GNB over the winter.

pamann
20th Sep 2016, 13:48
Looks like another nail in the coffin for EZY's ailing presence at STN as they will compete with LS on AGP, PMI, IBZ, ZTH, DBV & possibly GVA + GNB over the winter.

Or is it time for easy to up their game? Why assume it's a nail in the coffin?

_aax1
20th Sep 2016, 14:21
With regards to EZY, I very much doubt this announcement is a 'another nail in the coffin'. If you compare other regional airports across the UK; FR, EZY and LS competition is far heavier than what will be STN.

EZY won't close their base at STN because if anything it used as a bargaining chip to get lower rates at Luton/Gatwick. The growth agreement signed by MAG and EZY back in 2013 was used for EZY to get a better offer at their home at Luton.

Load factors and yields from STN on EZY's routes seem to be extremely good on all their routes, even on EDI and GLA with stiff FR competition.

I'd put a bet on EZY expansion at STN in the near future. With LTN and LGW full and still many unserved or underserved routes from STN. EZY could tap into Paris CDG, Rome FCO, Venice VCE, Barcelona, Gibraltar, Zurich, Geneva, Tel Aviv etc (to name a few).

I think this announcement is a blow for Southend. I reckon at the end of the 10 year agreement with Stobart, EZY will pull out. So many failed routes... EDI, BFS, NQY, KRK, SXF to name a few and with BCN and VCE ending Q1 2017.

compton3bravo
20th Sep 2016, 16:44
As I mentioned earlier, that is an awfully large programme to start off with. Other operators and/or Jet2 are bound to suffer because there are not the extra punters out there. Very interesting times ahead as I cannot see especially MOL giving in lightly!

AvGeek1
20th Sep 2016, 16:54
Great news from Jet2! easyJet will definitely have to step up at Stansted if they are to keeping a base there, maybe try serving routes that aren't currently operated like Paris CDG for example which I think could be quite a popular route and could offer different times from Luton. What other routes could EZY try?

I'd like too see Jet2 introduce some city break destinations but we will have to see what they bring in W17/S18

AirportPlanner1
20th Sep 2016, 17:01
Compton3bravo, true that is a lot of additional capacity but having endured the 'Luton experience' I've heard so much about for myself last week I could see them attracting a fair number of people who might otherwise have used EZY/MON/TOM from LTN.

The impact on SEN will be interesting - though I personally would rather use SEN given the choice. On the one hand it will also compete with SEN's market, on the other EZY coming under pressure at STN could see them move an aircraft or two over.

gilesdavies
20th Sep 2016, 17:32
Wow!

Jet2 have massive confidence in the launch of their STN base being a success!

I was expecting 2-3 aircraft and just a handful of routes, or a larger number of routes with lower frequencies... They have done both, a decent number of routes with decent frequencies.

A base this size is immediately bigger than Monarch's base at Luton, and for some reason I consider both airlines to be very different. Offering similar destinations and having a loyal following.

Just out of curiosity, how many aircraft does easyJet base at Stansted?

daz211
20th Sep 2016, 17:42
Regarding EZY at STN
I have never understood why they don't fly to LPA, FUE, TFS, FNC and ACE
As they are a good year round route.
I'm not sure what response EZY will have to Jet2's Stansted base but things look as though it's going to get interesting.

FRatSTN
20th Sep 2016, 18:05
EZY is currently sitting on 6x A319s and 1x A320 with a few others flying in on the domestic routes.

Whilst only one more aircraft than LS will have, it's worth pointing out that EZY will still be by some margin Stansted's No.2 carrier... providing they don't downsize any further of course.

whitelighter
20th Sep 2016, 20:30
Personally great that J2 are operating to Reus. I was hoping for another Bcn route too but maybe in year 2

AirportPlanner1
20th Sep 2016, 21:46
The addition of Kos by Jet2 is also a bit of a two fingers up to FR, given they just announced they're abandoning the island as part of a spat with Greece.

FR's response to all this will be very interesting given their "no growth" position.

Itchin McCrevis
20th Sep 2016, 22:22
Wow! Jet2 have massive confidence in the launch of their STN base being a success!Alternatively : Jet2 have massive confidence in their own product and their ability to sell it that they even think they can make a STN operation of this size work after failing to get capacity at a more prefferable London airport

pamann
20th Sep 2016, 22:46
Alternatively : Jet2 have massive confidence in their own product and their ability to sell it that they even think they can make a STN operation of this size work after failing to get capacity at a more prefferable London airport

Firstly...

Why/how have some of you come up with the conclusion that STN is/was not Jet2's preferable London departure point?

They actually have a good history with STN from their days as Channel Express as well as the mail/cargo operation.

Secondly...

Folk in the London region will fly on their jollies from any of the London airports if it saves them a couple of hundred quid. Just look at Ryanair and how they manage to drum up demand on routes that no one else would ever imagine. If the price is right people will use it. We're not talking business/city routes here. It's bucket and spade.

canberra97
20th Sep 2016, 22:53
Itchen McCrevis

'After failing to get capacity at a more preferable London airport'

And which airport would that be?

I think STN was always going to be there preferred airport unless you know otherwise!

I don't think for one minute they even considered LTN and LGW was a definite no considering the 83 weekly flights they have announced at STN.

pamann
20th Sep 2016, 23:13
Why would you want to go up against, for instance, Alicante:

At LGW with EZY, DY, ZB, BA, TOM and even FR are back from Oct '16

or LTN with EZY & ZB

When at STN there is very little competition on these 'leisure' routes with just Ryanair in this instance. Yes Ryanair are dominant at STN and have been very clever in seeing off any competition on what they view as their territory, but Jet2 especially with their holiday product, has a completely different offering to Ryanair.

We're not just talking Jet2 Holidays poaching customers from other Stansted based operators, some of these customers will be poached from the other London airports and tour operators. People will pick STN over say, LGW if the price is right. Thomas Cook, Thomson and Cosmos (do they even still exist?) are the ones that should be most concerned. Jet2 look to make a massive impact on the SE package holiday market. Their success up north speaks volumes for what they can do.

pabely
21st Sep 2016, 00:00
Not wanting to take sides but LGW would not have had preferred slots and LTN would not have a overnight stands next spring. An operation this size could only go one place. The Jet2 brand is still unknown in the south so it is going to need a massive marketing budget.
I'm surprised no-one has said anything about BA, must be worrying for some of their routes from STN?
I wish them luck.
LTMA is going to be much busier next year and we could once again see departure delays in being released into airspace or conflicts due to LCY and NHT movements....

LTNman
21st Sep 2016, 04:27
For Jet2 to launch an operation of this size they had only one choice and that was always going to be Stansted so I wonder if they got a great deal? No doubt if Luton had started its redevelopment a year earlier then Jet2 would have at least had a choice and maybe the chance to squeeze a better discount out of Stansted.

With Luton beings as popular as a turd in a Mediterranean swimming pool and Stansted being further away from Birmingham than the easy drive to and from Luton, Jet2 will have a completely separate catchment area, which might be another reason why Stansted could serve them well.

I doubt if anything has changed since I last flicked through holiday brochures a few years ago but while Gatwick always seemed to have several pages of departures Luton and Stansted was lucky to muster up half a page between them. There has always been a historic bias for IT companies to concentrate their London programme on Gatwick but at least now the balance is starting to be re-addressed with a North London airport now gaining some ground.

compton3bravo
21st Sep 2016, 05:58
Regarding the catchment areas for the new Jet2 flights out of Stansted. Having recently moved my UK base from Bedfordshire to East Sussex I would personally not even contemplate flying from Stansted (nothing against the airport by the way) just the logistics (road/rail) and cost (still cannot understand the cost of petrol/diesel in the UK compared to Continental Europe). It would have to be Gatwick and possibly Southampton for me. The airport's which should be worried in my opinion would be Luton of course followed by Birmingham, Southend and East Midlands. Far easier for people north of Stansted to drive there. I was told some years ago that a considerable amount of Luton's traffic lived north of Nottingham, whether this is relative today is open to question. Do not forget Thomas Cook will commence flights from Luton next spring so even more competition.

terrain safe
21st Sep 2016, 18:25
LTMA is going to be much busier next year and we could once again see departure delays in being released into airspace or conflicts due to LCY and NHT movements....

Stansted departures are not affected by either of these airfields at all.

whitelighter
21st Sep 2016, 19:23
LAMP does mean that the STN CLN sid often has short notice restrictions placed on it due to inbound LC traffic

Itchin McCrevis
21st Sep 2016, 21:52
I don't think for one minute they even considered LTN and LGW was a definite no considering the 83 weekly flights they have announced at STN.C'mon guys, putting aside the fact that I do know for sure that they considered other London airports, how can you possibly believe that a canny and sucessful company as Jet2 would make an investment of this scale without first thoroughly evaluating ALL the possible options, no self respecting Board would accept such a proposition.

I will confess to having no knowledge if STN was their preffered or just their only option in the end, that was just a poke at the local fanboi's for lulz :E

pamann
22nd Sep 2016, 03:20
I will confess to having no knowledge if STN was their preffered or just their only option in the end

You should have just finished your sentence with the word 'knowledge' instead of feeling the need to elaborate. :ok:

Itchin McCrevis
22nd Sep 2016, 11:41
You should have just finished your sentence with the word 'knowledge' instead of feeling the need to elaborateLOL great riposte, worthy of anyone in my family (are you sure we're not related?), made me chuckle all morning :ok:

wowzz
22nd Sep 2016, 12:50
Any news about the increased number of security personnel and Border Control staff that will be needed to cope with the increased number of passengers?

22nd Sep 2016, 14:14
Any news about the increased number of security personnel and Border Control staff that will be needed to cope with the increased number of passengers?
Ha ha! You know how to pull a leg...

FRatSTN
22nd Sep 2016, 15:18
Doubt it will even be much different anyway. LS will mainly fly in during the off-peak periods when you'd normally get straight through passport control. It can't really get much busier during peak times than it already is.

_aax1
29th Sep 2016, 20:46
Can't help but notice that easyJet are recruiting for S17 cabin crew and pilots across all their UK bases, apart from STN. Maybe it really is the end...

G-ANPK
1st Oct 2016, 18:19
-aax1
Or maybe they are fully staffed at Stansted for S17 and do not need to take on anyone else.
Why is everyone so negative when it comes to Stansted

G-ANPK (Stansted Air-Britain)

planedrive
2nd Oct 2016, 12:01
easyJet aren't recruiting at Belfast, Newcastle or Glasgow either. These four bases are generally regarded as some of the happiest in the network so crew retention is generally higher, hence there is no need to recruit. More worrying is the amount of crew they need at the other bases where people are trying to find any way out!

sunday8pm
4th Oct 2016, 10:37
Regarding the catchment areas for the new Jet2 flights out of Stansted. Having recently moved my UK base from Bedfordshire to East Sussex I would personally not even contemplate flying from Stansted (nothing against the airport by the way) just the logistics (road/rail) and cost (still cannot understand the cost of petrol/diesel in the UK compared to Continental Europe). It would have to be Gatwick and possibly Southampton for me. The airport's which should be worried in my opinion would be Luton of course followed by Birmingham, Southend and East Midlands. Far easier for people north of Stansted to drive there. I was told some years ago that a considerable amount of Luton's traffic lived north of Nottingham, whether this is relative today is open to question. Do not forget Thomas Cook will commence flights from Luton next spring so even more competition.

Although the crappy stretch of A14 between Huntingdon and Cambridge is still enough to put people in the East Midlands off Stansted, unless the departure times are very favourable of course. Maybe one day they'll finally widen this stretch, at which point STN will become immediately more accessible at least psychologically.

As someone who lives in Notts and regularly uses Jet2 wherever possible for leisure trips, I wouldn't fly Ryanair from EMA even if they were slightly more expensive. They are really very well thought of here. I'd like to think their EMA base will survive BHX and STN opening without any shrinkage.

I see Jet2 doing very well out of STN. Wealthy middle England counties such as Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire will prefer the product to FR I am sure. Norwich and Southend have the most to lose.

compton3bravo
4th Oct 2016, 11:08
A bit of trouble last night according to the Daily Mail with a lot of flights arriving together surprise surprise. Mega queues at passport control, children crying, missing last trains etc. It must be true of course because it is in the Daily Mail!

AirportPlanner1
4th Oct 2016, 11:16
What was it? Slow news day? One of their journalists flying in and upset they weren't given special treatment?

There is nothing unusual about the number of flights. Doesn't excuse the queues though.

4th Oct 2016, 18:50
A14 upgrade starts in Nov. But that means that in the meantime it'll be even harder for people from those parts to get to Stansted.

leadinghand
6th Oct 2016, 08:13
hearing rumours that a 3rd handling agent will be used for the jet2 contract.

FRatSTN
6th Oct 2016, 09:14
STN seems to have held onto their 7 based EZY aircraft and all of its routes, despite some people's concerns.

Flight timings look to have changed a bit but generally pretty similar to Spring/Summer 16.

daz211
12th Oct 2016, 16:48
24,009,348 passengers used London Stansted in last 12 months, up 8.4% on previous year. Just 6,000 short of record high set in Oct 2007.

_aax1
12th Oct 2016, 20:35
Interesting article and analysis by anna.aero regarding Jet2 entering Stansted next summer.

Jet2.com to take on Ryanair at London Stansted in S17 (http://www.anna.aero/2016/10/12/jet2-com-to-take-on-ryanair-at-london-stansted-in-s17/)

What I find interesting/disappointing is that in the years in which MAG have owned Stansted, Ryanair's market share has increased significantly while easyJet's and other airlines have decreased.

MAG always go on about how they've transformed Stansted, returned it to growth and have got a greater mix of airlines when the truth is all STN's growth is Ryanair and they spent £80m on World Duty Free.

STN is lucky Ryanair has been so loyal but they need to get more airlines desperately and spend money on the facilities asap.

I wonder if a Middle Eastern and an American ariline will come in any time soon? There was a lot of rumors last year regarding Qatar and AA coming in but all dried up.

canberra97
13th Oct 2016, 13:29
aax

Although Ryanair are by far the largest airline at STN the airport does have a total of 16 scheduled airlines and a large portfolio of freight carriers so it's not all bout Ryanair although obviously they are the predominant airline.

Rumours of Qatar and American at STN where did you hear those!

Qatar Cargo do operate from STN though.

I can't see American Airlines making a return to STN if so it would be their third attempt and any flights involving the ME3 in my opinion would more than likely come from Emirates.

The recent £80 million invest wasn't just the World Duty Free it was about maximising the space within the constraints of the terminal as a totally new security area was built along with an enlarged and modernised shopping area and new restaurants and the redesign of Satellite 1.

If your a frequent user of STN you would have noticed the transformation from it previously looked like.

Seljuk22
13th Oct 2016, 17:12
With all the new flights announced by jet2 25 million passengers won't be a big deal anytime soon and if there will be a reaction from FR and EZY 28 million passengers are not unrealistic by 2018.

daz211
14th Oct 2016, 17:51
MAG ready to launch legal challenge if LHR and LGW are both given the green light for new runways next week.

AerRyan
14th Oct 2016, 18:25
I'll have great grandchildren by the time the runway opens.

_aax1
16th Oct 2016, 23:56
The AA rumours started from MAG frequently visiting Dallas to have talks with them about re-commencing STN flights. The Qatar rumours came from the Hotel being built opposite Sat 1.

I also doubt either of those airlines will start but I think 2017 will see a launch of a scheduled long-haul airline.

And with regards with the £80m, I think it has been been woefully spent. WDF and shopping/restaurants look nice but the design is awful, the choke points that exist in the terminal cause overcrowding and the shopping centre experience is not enjoyable for passengers. When they want to compete with LGW and LHR they need to seriously look at the terminal design again. Sat 1 already needs a refurb updating the refurb, it's falling apart if you look close enough. I do agree security is however much improved.

canberra97
17th Oct 2016, 21:46
aax1

MAG Probably have many discussions with many airlines and airports worldwide regarding business opportunities as do others but it doesn't mean an airline has any intentions of doing so it's all about your business as in MAG promoting itself so because of that rumours always appear but there just that.

'The Qatar rumours came from the hotel being built opposite Sat 1'.

What does Hampton by HILTON have to do with Qatar operating out of STN?

I don't really think that STN is out to compete with either LGW or LGW rather them gaining more of a share of the market which obviously means attracting new airlines and in particular a scheduled long haul airline to the airport (other than Thomas Cook and Thomson).

If and when a new runway and terminal is built at STN it will never really be able to compete with LGW or LHR, its main competitor is LTN to be honest.

_aax1
17th Oct 2016, 23:43
Of course STN are out to compete with LGW especially and to a lesser extent LHR. As they frequently quote "We want to be the best airport serving London". When the likes of Air Asia X return to London in 2018, STN are going to compete with LGW to get the service back, especially when Air Asia have said they either want Ryanair from STN or easyJet from LGW to feed their service. Also, STN dream of full service airlines, not low-cost that already overly serve the airport and Luton.

The rumours were that the hotel was being built to encourage Qatar to come to the airport by offering Business facilities. With a connection directly to Sat 1 to offer hotel check-in. That is what was said last year and it was going round in circles. Likely not to be true as most rumours are, but that was what the rumour was.

canberra97
18th Oct 2016, 03:27
As much as I love STN and I've been visiting the airport and have enjoyed seeng first hand its massive growth since I first went there in 1979 but seriously,

'We want to to be the best airport serving London'

'WE WANT TO' stands out here!

It's like Gatwicks slogan 'Your London Airport',

Every airport can make statements like that but it doesn't much except for promoting the airport.

The only real immediate chance for STN to obtain a full service long haul airline is EK but with them cancelling the planned forth daily flight into LGW due to a fall in demand doesn't look as if they intend on expanding their London airport portfolio anytime soon.

As to a connection from the Hampton by Hilton check in direct to SAT 1 how will that work precisely as a security area and checkpoint would have to be added and I can't see that happening, the plans for the hotel are online and show no such connection.

You do realise that there is a Raddison Blu adjacent to the north of the terminal with business facilities if airlines such as Qatar needed them but regardless of location of both hotels there would never be a direct access from either directly to any of the Satellites be it 1,2 or even 3.

When I was a young spotter it was ridiculous how many rumours existed regarding airlines, airports, routes, etc but even then as now I never take any notice of rumours as I prefer facts and I'm afraid what you stated are just that pure rumours.

EI-BUD
18th Oct 2016, 10:10
Maybe I've missed previous commentary, but wasn't it September 1991 when the 'New Stansted' opened? A £400M investment in space as it was advertised at that time. I remember being on one of the earliest flights from the terminal and it was so very quiet indeed. Exel Airways were flying to Eindhoven from memory etc. and Ryanair BAC 1-11's and Air UK 146s a plenty, not to mention a daily American Airlines to boot.

This 25 year milestone must be worthy of some mention or celebration....?

EI-BUD

FRatSTN
18th Oct 2016, 10:24
It was March 1991 so they've already carried out the 25 year celebrations. There was a big gathering amongst colleagues in the Terminal, speeches from the MD etc. There was some local media attention about it and a half-hour special from ITV Anglia news broadcast from the new Satellite 1 area.

EDIT... Here's the link to ITV Anglia news' broadcast...
http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2016-03-15/stansted-celebrates-terminals-25th-anniversary/

EI-BUD
18th Oct 2016, 11:31
Thanks FRSTN... completely missed that!

FRatSTN
20th Oct 2016, 10:23
Merger of Cityjet and Stobart Air likely to be completed shortly (http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/merger-of-cityjet-and-stobart-air-likely-to-be-completed-shortly-1.2835895)

From an article in the Irish Times this morning regarding Stobart Air / Cityjet merger...

Stobart Air operates regional air services between a variety of centres in Europe and the UK, with Southend Airport being a key base. It is the operator of the Aer Lingus Regional network. The announcement said that the transactions “ will enhance Stobart’s flexibility in building new passengers routes at Stansted airport”, indicating that it will retain some stake in the merged airline.

Am I missing something here, or perhaps more likely is this just a misprint?

Expressflight
20th Oct 2016, 10:57
It's a misprint. The Stobart statement that they were purporting to be quoting directly from said "London Southend Airport".

daz211
26th Oct 2016, 16:49
Two new routes for winter 2017
GVA and SZG

FRatSTN
26th Oct 2016, 17:19
Very impressive Winter schedule from Jet2.com with very competitive frequencies.

Would be very surprised if STN doesn't feature in the New York Christmas programme for Nov/Dec 2017.

pamann
26th Oct 2016, 18:26
I personally can't see LS offering New York, far too much competition in the London/SE region on that route, the reason it works from the regions is the lack of connectivity to NY/the US and that folk use the Christmas shopping trips for this advantage. The US dollar rate will affect their regional NY offerings this year for sure.

FFHKG
27th Oct 2016, 16:16
Not sure about the comment on the lack of connectivity from the regions on TA flights - a total of 10 scheduled flights out of Manchester alone to the US this morning on scheduled airlines (excluding Thomson holiday flights) - and yes, LS will also operate to NY over the Christmas period

NY : United x1, American x1, Thos Cook x 1

Orlando : Thos Cook x 1, Virgin Atlantic x1

Atlanta : Virgin Atlantic x 1

Philadelphia : American x 1

Las Vegas : Virgin Atlantic x 1

Miami : Thos Cook x 1

Chicago : American x 1

Add to this list, Singapore Airlines to Houston 4 X weekly from next week.

pamann
27th Oct 2016, 17:17
'The regions' is not just Manchester.

I believe Jet2 operate their NY programme from the likes of LBA, NCL, EMA... that is what is meant by the term 'The regions'.

The south east and London LHR/LGW offer far too much choice and flexibility to NY and that itself keeps the fares generally low.

If you want to start using GLA as an example, you'll find the fares a lot higher due to less competition this coming winter.

Anyhow let's get back to talking Stansted.

Jet2 + NY won't happen here IMHO.

FRatSTN
27th Oct 2016, 17:56
Well we'll just have to wait and see what happens, though I'm sure there is more than enough local demand to support a few flights to NYC over the christmas period.

pamann
27th Oct 2016, 19:34
I'd expect the big wigs at Stansted to be looking at more of a legacy carrier for that route, something which has happened in the past but never lasted that long unfortunately. The weak GBP isn't helping in that respect just now, I can't see a legacy carrier on the route in the near future either.

What Stansted now needs is some connectivity with the likes of KLM. An airline that I'm pretty surprised isn't yet in the mix.

Skipness One Echo
27th Oct 2016, 19:57
KLM? Air UK were the KLM partner for decades and STN was their main hub.
They did not survive the rise of FR/EZY, STN-AMS is loco territory nowadays IMHO.

pamann
22nd Nov 2016, 21:52
Looks like there's to be no Thomson long-haul programme winter 17/18 :*

AirportPlanner1
24th Nov 2016, 21:33
Someone a few weeks back questioned the point of the BA flight to TXL which of course operates inbound on Fridays and back out on Sundays, suggesting it was no good to anyone.

For what is effectively a glorified ferry flight it seems to have done pretty well. Looking at the CAA stats, monthly averages were between 75 and 80 pax per flight. Fares don't seem too low either.

_aax1
26th Nov 2016, 23:58
Having a detailed look into EZY's schedule over the summer it appears 7 aircraft will be based, the same as summer 16. However there appears to be gaps in the schedule with the slight the reduction of some routes such as BJV, PMI and IBZ. I'm guessing a new sun route(s) will be announced to fill the gaps.

FRatSTN
27th Nov 2016, 00:36
I've had a brief look too and surely must be a new route or two to come though you'd have thought strengthening the frequency on AGP, PMI, IBZ, DBV, ZTH etc. would be more a priority now with Jet2 on the scene.

I guess it depends though whether EZY want to put up a fight (certainly nothing out of the ordinary otherwise) on what isn't exactly their strongest foothold as it is. Just another one of those cases of wait and see I think.

LGS6753
6th Dec 2016, 13:04
Air Moldova A320 currently carrying out its 5th orbit over Suffolk - other arrivals coming straight in. Problems?

Edited to add - just landed at Birmingham.

AerRyan
6th Dec 2016, 13:40
Air Moldova A320 currently carrying out its 5th orbit over Suffolk - other arrivals coming straight in. Problems?

Fog. When in doubt, check the weather.

LGS6753
6th Dec 2016, 14:41
...so why was the Air Moldova 320 affected by fog, yet numerous Ryanair 738s - arriving before and after - weren't?

EastMids
6th Dec 2016, 15:01
...so why was the Air Moldova 320 affected by fog, yet numerous Ryanair 738s - arriving before and after - weren't?

Maybe because Air Moldova require higher minimums, or the kit on the aircraft was downgraded or inop, or the crew weren't current for a low-vis landing, or... So they held for a while hoping for an improvement, and then by previous account decided to kick STN into touch and went to BHX...

STN Ramp Rat
11th Dec 2016, 07:49
seen on Airliners.net

BLISS JET TO LAUNCH PER-SEAT NY-LONDON SERVICE IN 2017 | Article - Thu 17 Nov 2016 04:35:07 PM UTC | airsoc.com. (http://airsoc.com/articles/view/id/582de718313944b96d8b4567/bliss-jet-to-launch-per-seat-ny-london-service-in-2017)

well, a one a week corporate jet LGA-STN on Sunday and STN-LGA on Friday.

It might operate for a few weeks before it fails.

LTNman
11th Dec 2016, 09:27
For $24,000 return I would expect an FBO experience and a flight when I wanted it.

pabely
11th Dec 2016, 09:52
First advertised in Summer from Westcheter to Biggin Hill, later Westchester to Stansted, now La Guardia, did any of the other services run......
A LTNman says, for that price might you just rent your own Jet to go when you wanted and from whatever VVIP FBO suited you. Certainly 2 people wanting this makes this service a no brainer!

Tranceaddict
13th Dec 2016, 09:19
STN-MAH for sale on EZY website, 1 a week from 24th June 17 for the school holidays by the looks of things (last flight 2nd Sep)

FRatSTN
13th Dec 2016, 17:56
Good news... but you know what I'm going to say I bet...

1x weekly is hardly much of a commitment considering LS are new to that route next year with a 3x weekly, and when EZY themselves offer far better frequency to MAH from LGW, LTN and SEN.

Nothing much more than just something to fill an empty slot on a Saturday morning it seems. Still good news nonetheless.

CabinCrew747
13th Dec 2016, 19:28
Qantas 744 due Thursday morning STN-BKK.

pamann
13th Dec 2016, 19:36
Qantas 744 due Thursday morning STN-BKK.

Any ideas why?

_aax1
13th Dec 2016, 21:46
Ryanair ?feeder? flights deal set for take-off within months (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/12/10/ryanair-feeder-flights-deal-set-take-off-within-months/)

What are peoples thoughts on this? I take this article with a pinch of salt. Surely Norwegian wouldn't bother striking a deal with Ryanair at Gatwick with their extremely limited route offering to Ireland and would of preferred easyJet.

Could Norwegian with their fast expansion of their long haul product open a base at STN with Ryanair feeding flights in addition to operations at LGW?

If Stansted want to get scheduled long-haul routes I think Norwegian should be at the top of their wish list, rather than a legacy carrier to ensure a sustainable operation.

whitelighter
14th Dec 2016, 16:16
Ryanair will say anything to get into the press.

I doubt any airline will move to STN (or anywhere) just to be at the beck and call of MoL. Sure, if they are considering another base in the southeast/midlands then the FR deal might make it more appealing but I cant see any airline just moving for this reason

davidjohnson6
14th Dec 2016, 16:20
What happens to the EU261 liability if connections are missed, particularly given the higher compensatory value for long haul flights ?

Has somebody found a clever way to get round this or has a commercial decision been taken to accept the liability in the knowledge that a lot of passengers are too apathetic to push hard enough to get their money after being given an initial brush-off by an airline ?

STN Ramp Rat
14th Dec 2016, 17:16
if their are sold as two separate tickets then the passenger is responsible for their own connection so no additional EU261 liability. I don't see this as a STN thing more likely a LGW thing

davidjohnson6
14th Dec 2016, 17:54
RampRat - I agree that separate tickets means no liability. The question is how to sell it as 2 tickets, but still be able to avoid the legal risk of the CAA or the courts deeming it to be a transaction involving a single ticket. After all if you market something as suitable for a particular purpose (ie journey with a connection) but actually it proves unsuitable, then lawyers start smelling claims. A reputation for dodgy products is perhaps something Ryanair has been trying to avoid in the last few years.

Yes you can set up a travel agency which is 49 % owned by each of 2 airlines and the remainder by some suitably acquiescent other unrelated party, but I'm not sure if the courts would accept this as passing the test of independence (and consequent risk of liability)

AircraftOperations
14th Dec 2016, 18:09
The Bliss Jet looks to be a step too far for me - unless they have a guaranteed way to make good money with the aircraft on any "empty sectors". I didn't even know that LGA accommodated non-airline traffic. You wouldn't get very far across the Atlantic on anything but the smallest, shortest range private jet for $24k. But a first class ticket with a major carrier will compete well on price & schedule flexibility, even if you spend longer at the airports than using an FBO.

As for the Qantas flight, I'm sure I remember reading (on here?) a long time ago that they used to fly the odd charter to BKK and onwards to Australia for religious tour groups - possibly from MAN? Not sure if this could be a similar thing?