PDA

View Full Version : What Cockpit ?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

MReyn24050
7th May 2006, 19:48
Kieron seems reluctant to put up another challenge at the moment Anyone else ready to come up with a challenge?

Mel

cringe
7th May 2006, 20:51
Here's one - hope it doesn't last too long:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/cringe_/unk43.jpg

pigboat
8th May 2006, 02:53
Foxmoth, they weren't the only ones to find a place that was 'landable.'

I flew for 27 years for the railroad in Hammond Innes' book "The Land God Gave To Cain." It was 20 years before my time, about 1953, when the gravel strip at Menehik along the railroad right-of-way had a surprise visit from a Lockheed Lodestar one evening. The radio operator/weather observer was showing a visitor how the ceiling projector worked, when they heard an aircraft overhead. The company had no flights scheduled, so the runway lights had been turned off. He turned on the runway lights, and had the surprise of his life when, in the space of a few minutes, a Lodestar broke out of the overcast and landed. Even more surprising, after the door opened, the first thing out was a life raft, quickly followed by several gentlemen in robes and burnooses, (bernice? sp) obviously amazed to find themselves on dry land.

What had happened, the aircraft in question was on a flight from Saudi Arabia to the US, via Greenland, with a stop in Goose Bay for fuel. The pilot had become lost, and low on fuel had prepared to ditch over what he supposed to be the Labrador Sea. On the letdown above the undercast, he spotted a flare of light through the clouds and supposing this to be a USCG cutter on station off the coast of Labrador had made for it. He'd briefed his three passengers to expect a water landing, and was more than surprised himself when he broke out of the clouds and saw runway lights, so he slammed the gear down and landed. His passengers thought they were in the drink, not some 200 miles further west over dry land, hence the raft was the first thing out. They all spent the night in a company bunkhouse and continued in the am.

There's a twist. The ceiling projector was only on for less than a minute before the bulb burnt out. The pilot, let's call him RL, was certainly in the wrong place, but at decidedly the right time. A few years later he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He got caught running some hardware into Cuba for a certain Senor Castro, and Senor Batista threw him in jail. (Senor Castro promptly turned him loose when he took over.) :D

Ok people, back to the regularly scheduled programme. ;)

MReyn24050
8th May 2006, 09:57
cringe

Considering the shape of the windscreen could it poosibly the one and only Comte A.C.12 Moskito?

Mel

cringe
8th May 2006, 10:08
Sorry Mel, not a Moskito. This one wasn't so rare (100+ built).

MReyn24050
8th May 2006, 16:42
cringe
Still having problems with that windscreen formation. How about the D.H.80A Puss Moth?
Mel

cringe
8th May 2006, 17:19
Nope, not British. If you forget the windscreen layout for a moment, this design is similar to a much better known earlier type.

MReyn24050
8th May 2006, 19:03
Wild guess based on the panel of the Breda Ba44.
The Breda Ba.65 perhaps?

cringe
8th May 2006, 19:34
Not Italian. The original type with all its variants was produced in the thousands.

MReyn24050
9th May 2006, 18:55
Perhaps from the otherside of the pond? USA? Possibly a Fairchild 24, perhaps the 24C8-C.
Mel

cringe
9th May 2006, 19:38
Mel,

Not American. Inspired by a German type, but it comes from another country.

MReyn24050
9th May 2006, 20:38
Another wild quess perhaps the Morane-Saulnier M.S.505 Criquet (Locust).Although I think it had a central windscreen frame and dual front seats.

cringe
9th May 2006, 21:05
You're on the right track, though it's not a Morane-Saulnier.

treadigraph
9th May 2006, 21:25
I've no idea whether it was inspired by a German type, but how about the Nord 3400?

cringe
9th May 2006, 21:38
About the right era. Not the Nord 3400 - not French. Go East...

Churchill Polar Bear
9th May 2006, 22:42
Benes-Mraz K-65 Cap, then ? (Czech-built Fieseler Fi-156 Storch)

cringe
9th May 2006, 23:08
Inspired by the Storch, yes. Not Czech.

treadigraph
10th May 2006, 07:28
How about the Slepcev (sp?) "mini-Storch" from Down Unda? Sorry don't know the full designation, but was mightily impressed by its low speed flying display at Biggin a few years ago!

cringe
10th May 2006, 08:45
Sorry, not the Slepcev Storch or its variant. Nearly 150 built. Used by a European air force till early 1970s.

treadigraph
10th May 2006, 11:53
LET Brigadyr?

cringe
10th May 2006, 12:22
Nope. Not Czech.

jabberwok
10th May 2006, 14:30
In addition to the German/French/Czech productions, the Storch was produced on license in Rumania by ICAR, who produced 80 Fi 156C-3 from 1943.

Failing that may I presume it is not a Storch variant but a new design "inspired" by the original?

One fascinating snippet from another Storch page:

The Fieseler Storch was the last dogfight victim of the western front. Pilot Duanes Francies and his observer, Lieutenant William Martin, of the 5th US Army Division, spotted a Storch circling below them while looking for ground targets in their Piper Cub. Diving on the Storch, the two men opened fire with their Colt .45s and the plane spiraled to the ground. After a short gun battle, Francies and his observer took the two Germans into custody. Lt. Martin was awarded the Air Medal for his part in the fight, but Francies would have to wait until the story was reported in Cornelius Ryan's book "The Last Battle," to finally be awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. The USAF was 22 years late. Apart from being the last Luftwaffe plane lost in the west, this Storch was also the only enemy plane downed by pistol fire during the war.

cringe
10th May 2006, 14:41
Not a license-built Storch. Not from the Romanian ICAR... Another pic:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/cringe_/unk43a.jpg

cringe
10th May 2006, 18:39
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/cringe_/unk43b.jpg

treadigraph
10th May 2006, 22:04
Ummmm... Even with your third "in yer face" pic, I simply haven't a clue Cringe, that one's really got me stumped! Cowling looks rather Zlin-ish, but you said not a Czech machine... A PZL design perhaps?

cringe
10th May 2006, 22:31
No, not Polish either. The manufacturer featured in this thread before.

Genghis the Engineer
10th May 2006, 23:01
Piston Porter?

G

cringe
10th May 2006, 23:05
Not a Pilatus. I honestly didn't expect it to be that difficult. This should help:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/cringe_/unk43c.jpg

Genghis the Engineer
10th May 2006, 23:31
It's very pretty - where can I get a go in one?

G

MReyn24050
11th May 2006, 07:03
Ikarus Kurir L. As used by Yugoslavian Air Force.
Wow, now that was a challenge cringe.

treadigraph
11th May 2006, 07:24
It is pretty isn't it? And a very challenging challenge for the challenged. Well done Mel (and Cringe!)

cringe
11th May 2006, 08:33
Yup, Mel has it. :ok: The cockpit was of a Slovenian-registered Ikarus Kurir (Courier). Pics from [1] (http://www.planepictures.net/netsearch4.cgi?stype=actype&srng=2&srch=Kurir), [2] (http://freeweb.siol.net/petek1/kurir.htm) and [3] (http://dragan.freeservers.com/slike/pictures_past.htm).

Your go, Mel.

MReyn24050
11th May 2006, 09:26
Thanks cringe and treadigraph.
I am sure this one will not last as long as cringe's excellent challenge. I do apologise for the quality but it is the best I could get it.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Aircraft/Cockpit%20quiz/Cockpitquiz104.jpg
Mel

JDK
11th May 2006, 11:28
Hmmm. It's a cracker.

1950s British? Single-engined jet? Aircraft used for testing?

MReyn24050
11th May 2006, 13:03
JDK
A litle bit earlier than 1950 and was in fact a twin engined jet. It was used for development flying.
Mel

682al
11th May 2006, 15:03
Armstrong Whitworth 52?

MReyn24050
11th May 2006, 16:21
682al
Sorry not the AW 52.
I note that during a test flight of AW 52 TS363 on 30 May 1949 the pilot J.O.Lancaster was forced to abandon ship, thus, incidentally, achieving the distinction of being the first person in the UK to use the Martin-Baker ejector seat in an emergency
Mel

682al
11th May 2006, 16:52
Yes, the absence of an ejector seat had ocurred to me, too!

Hmmm, I'll go with a long shot...

early Meteor adapted for fighter-reconnaissance work (hence the big camera control box at the top of the photo).

FR5, based on F4?

MReyn24050
11th May 2006, 17:02
Not a Meatbox ( Gloster Meteor) either I am afraid. You are right about it having a camera control box.

cringe
11th May 2006, 20:31
Is it a Saunders-Roe SR.A/1 ?

MReyn24050
11th May 2006, 20:49
Cringe my dear lady you never cease to amaze me. You have it in one.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Aircraft/SaundersRoeS.jpg
It is indeed the SR.A/1 and Reg No TG263. A wonderful aircraft. The lever above the 'X' is the water rudder toggle.
You regain control
Mel

cringe
11th May 2006, 22:12
Thanks Mel, you're too kind. One of these days I'll make a fool of myself in front of the experts. :O

As I took someone else's turn last time, it's open house for posting the next challenge.

MReyn24050
11th May 2006, 22:42
Cringe.
With your score I do not think there is much chance of that. However should there be no takers then we hope you will provide us with another great challenge.

Mel

JDK
12th May 2006, 00:20
Cof, cof...

Well, as no-one else has come in with anything, maybe I can jump in with something a little different?

I scanned this from a book I bought the other day, as it intrigued me. Catch (and the variation) is I don't know what it is, but I have a very good idea, and obviously I've got an idea of the scope and date of the book.

No clues at this stage, but let's see how we go! I don't think we'll get a winner, because I'm looking for a consensus that it could be what I think it is, or that we all agree it's something else. Told you it'd be a bit different...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/JDK2/CockpitQuiz/img073xJDK.jpg

682al
12th May 2006, 08:04
It's Mercury, the upper half of the Short Mayo composite.

JDK
12th May 2006, 09:22
Bah. No chance of THAT one maturing like a fine cheese. :D

Just for interest, the caption, in an article on aircraft wiring, from 1938/9 which does not specify the aircraft, says:

WIRING IN THE COCKPIT has to be kept clear of the compass as far as possible. Single wires must never run near the compass because electro-magnetic induction from them may cause incorrect readings of the aircraft's bearings to be obtained. Induction may be overcome with thin wires of the same circuit by twisting them together so that their electro-magnetic fields are cancelled out.
Photo, Callender's Cable and Construction Co., Ltd.

Fascinating.

Now you have to provide 682, or it'll be Cringe... :eek:

682al
12th May 2006, 10:12
A straightforward one....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/682al/Untitled-5.jpg

MReyn24050
12th May 2006, 11:11
682al

Hawker Siddeley HS-125 Perhaps.

Mel

682al
12th May 2006, 11:50
I think it was still known as the de H 125 when the brochure was printed, but I ain't gonna quibble. Over to you!

MReyn24050
12th May 2006, 15:06
Thanks 682al. I am sure this will not last long.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Aircraft/Cockpit%20quiz/Cockpitquiz130.jpg[/IMG]

It was a British Aircraft.

PPRuNe Pop
12th May 2006, 21:09
Heads up people!

This is a most popular thread and long may it continue - quite how I am not sure! We must be getting near to negative equity in terms of 'unused' cockpits. And it is quite a trial to go back to so many posts to see what's what.

I will soon close this thread - so I would suggest that the collating done by somebody previously is updated in the next week or so. Then last one to ID a cockpit will be the new thread starter. When I give the go.;)

As for this thread you can always read it or check it as you wish after it slips away.

Cricket23
12th May 2006, 21:25
Shame about the thread closing. I haven't posted much, bit I'm amazed at the skill of you guys, the ability to identify some obsure aircraft from not a lot of evidence, I'm impressed.

As for the photo, how about a Buccaneer?

C23

MReyn24050
12th May 2006, 21:42
Heads up people!
This is a most popular thread and long may it continue - quite how I am not sure! We must be getting near to negative equity in terms of 'unused' cockpits. And it is quite a trial to go back to so many posts to see what's what.
I will soon close this thread - so I would suggest that the collating done by somebody previously is updated in the next week or so. Then last one to ID a cockpit will be the new thread starter. When I give the go.;)
As for this thread you can always read it or check it as you wish after it slips away.
I am very concerned in your approach. I am sure most followers of this thread will agree in that 99% fully understood that the last ID of a cockpit will be the new thread starter unless that person elects for someone else to submit a challenge. Cringe and myself monitor the progress and cringe has published a list only recently of cockpits previously published.
I do not understand why you intend to close this thread. I have an up to date list in Excel of cockpits published to date and if you allow this can be made available in the public domain it can be updated by myself daily.
My question is how often will you be available to to give the go ahead to publish the next challenge? To date this thread has some 94,640+ viewers I think that speaks for itself.

To date there have been 376 challenges of which there has only been 11 duplicates.
Mel

MReyn24050
12th May 2006, 21:44
Cricket23

Thanks for your support. Sorry not a Buccaneer.

Mel

BSD
12th May 2006, 22:05
Can't quite make out the number of throttles, but on the basis it has 2, how about a Sea Vixen?

Not sure I understand the moderators desire to close down this thread either. It is probably the most enjoyable part of PPRUNE!

Oh, and by the way, as I'm unable to post, in the unlikely event I've got it, have another post on me!

MReyn24050
12th May 2006, 22:13
BSD
Sorry, not the DH Sea Vixen. I too cannot understand the moderator's point 94,685 viewers and 2,954 replies must make it the most popular thread in the section.

Evileyes
12th May 2006, 22:24
MReyn24050, BSD, All,

What we are doing is merely housekeeping. Yes, this thread will be "closed" which is not to say the topic will be discontinued. It will be restarted as "cockpits 2" or some such.

The issue is that when these threads get too large they drag the performance of the site down and waste bandwidth and so are going to be, to coin a phrase, ppruned. The old thread is mothballed and a new vibrant one opened.

To reiterate, what will change is the length or size of the thread and it's name, that's all. The original thread will be available to view in the archives via the "search" function.

Cheers,
Evileyes

MReyn24050
12th May 2006, 22:33
MReyn24050, BSD, All,
What we are doing is merely housekeeping. Yes, this thread will be "closed" which is not to say the topic will be discontinued. It will be restarted as "cockpits 2" or some such.
The issue is that when these threads get too large they drag the performance of the site down and waste bandwidth and so are, to coin a phrase, ppruned. The old thread is mothballed and a new vibrant one opened.
To reiterate, what will change is the length or size of the thread and it's name, that's all. The original thread will be available to view in the archives via the "search" fu nction.
Cheers,
Evileyes

I can understand the reason but how do we maintain continuity? What I mean is how do we start a new thread but maintain a record of those cockpits that have gone before. Will it be possible for thread followers to have access to a list of previous challenges?

Evileyes
12th May 2006, 22:44
Absolutely MReyn24050. Whoever has the up to date list can simply post it when we open the new thread. We will probably grab the last page or 2 of the original thread to start the new one which should help preserve continuity as well. We can then continue as before.

Again, the original thread isn't going into a black hole. It will still be searchable for reference but will not be active, taking up bandwidth every time someone wants to view the last page of an extremely long thread. The software opens the whole thing even if you only care about that last page. Ppruning it prevents that and keeps things moving.

All is well

MReyn24050
12th May 2006, 23:02
Evileyes
Many thanks for your response . I am sure followers of this thread will understand the reasoning behind the requirement to restart the thread. I am also sure you and your fellow moderators are aware this is a very popular thread and long may it continue to be so.
Mel