Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Edinburgh-4

Old 23rd May 2023, 08:13
  #1281 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Age: 48
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VickersVicount
MSP/DTW would seem very ambitious. Wonder where that originated from unless there are incentives at play. I still have slight concerns the current US bubble will pop and that finite connecting pax would then just be pulled from other established hubs. Some of these suggested routes are marginal ex LHR never mind anywhere else.

MSP and DTW handle similar annual passenger numbers as SIN, GRU, MUC and MNL

CAA stats from Feb'23 show LHR's MSP and DTW routes each had over 11000 passenger in Feb

Taking into account the number of flights from LHR to EWR (87k) LHR-MIA (88k) LHR-SFO (71k) the passenger numbers on these daily flights don't seem to suggest this a marginal route.

source

Table 12.1

https://www.caa.co.uk/data-and-analy...23/march-2023/

Always helpful if posters could rationalise or evidence their assumptions. Many thanks
tictack67 is offline  
Old 23rd May 2023, 08:44
  #1282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 43
Posts: 1,610
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tictack67
CAA stats from Feb'23 show LHR's MSP and DTW routes each had over 11000 passenger in Feb
Always helpful if posters could rationalise or evidence their assumptions. Many thanks
Aside from London (huge O&D) and Amsterdam (JV hub for DL/KL), what other European markets have either DTW or MSP service on Delta?
How many of those 11,000 are terminating in DTW/MSP? Both are Delta hubs used to funnel feed across the US but are rounding errors in terms of final destinations. My assumption is that no comparable secondary market has service to either and any increase to Scotland would make more sense over upguaging an existing route.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 23rd May 2023, 08:59
  #1283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Age: 48
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
Aside from London (huge O&D) and Amsterdam (JV hub for DL/KL), what other European markets have either DTW or MSP service on Delta?
How many of those 11,000 are terminating in DTW/MSP? Both are Delta hubs used to funnel feed across the US but are rounding errors in terms of final destinations. My assumption is that no comparable secondary market has service to either and any increase to Scotland would make more sense over upguaging an existing route.

That number is 11000 in Feb 2023, my point is pretty good passenger numbers for a daily flight compared to those routes I mentioned with multiple

FRA,MUC, CDG and Iceland all served from DTW, with Rome on 05/06/23

They figure is not bad, so for DL it's not as relevant as px obviously are either are connecting at DTW/MSP or terminating there.

Increasing their market without the huge costs of getting slots at LHR/LGW maybe their plan.

DTW serves 13 countries and 105 airports, MSP 11 countries and 124 airports

With the exception of climate change groups, the UK is the only place where arguments take place against the creation of new flight routes, or in this case even a rumour of a flight route. Quite remarkable really.


Last edited by tictack67; 23rd May 2023 at 09:19.
tictack67 is offline  
Old 23rd May 2023, 09:36
  #1284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 43
Posts: 1,610
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tictack67
FRA,MUC, CDG and Iceland all served from DTW, with Rome on 05/06/23.
FRA /MUC entry points to Germany, EU's biggest country. The other European points are all Skyteam
bases for partners. So no secondary DELTA markets out of MSP/DTW.
Not saying more flights is unlikely, but on the evidence I can see, MSP/DTW seem unlikely.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:04
  #1285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,689
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
With the exception of climate change groups, the UK is the only place where arguments take place against the creation of new flight routes, or in this case even a rumour of a flight route. Quite remarkable really.
Can you evidence that assumption? ​​​​​​​
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 23rd May 2023, 11:12
  #1286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The interest in new TATL routes from EDI might have something to do with this:

"One American airline said Edinburgh was the most profitable first year it ever had on a transatlantic route."
...from this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...iness-65637377
A350Saltire is offline  
Old 23rd May 2023, 14:04
  #1287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 437
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flynas

I wonder if EDI will make a pitch?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...route-network/

Planeraz is offline  
Old 23rd May 2023, 15:35
  #1288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: scotland
Posts: 117
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeraz
Flynas

I wonder if EDI will make a pitch?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...route-network/
They don't serve booze, and for that reason, ah'm oot!
nebpor is offline  
Old 25th May 2023, 17:36
  #1289 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 437
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
United

Double daily Newark starts this evening. Both flights from EWR are booked full. Good to see such high demand.
Planeraz is offline  
Old 25th May 2023, 18:20
  #1290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeraz
United

Double daily Newark starts this evening. Both flights from EWR are booked full. Good to see such high demand.
Great to hear. I believe the first DL ATL-EDI is tonight too.
A350Saltire is offline  
Old 25th May 2023, 18:24
  #1291 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: GB
Posts: 253
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprises me UA went for 2x 752 over, say, 1x 764 or 1x 787-10
laviation is offline  
Old 25th May 2023, 18:25
  #1292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 437
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A350Saltire
Great to hear. I believe the first DL ATL-EDI is tonight too.
Yes indeed. When I checked last, it was also booked full with a standby list.
Planeraz is offline  
Old 25th May 2023, 18:52
  #1293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 437
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laviation
Surprises me UA went for 2x 752 over, say, 1x 764 or 1x 787-10
I’m assuming it’s a scheduling or aircraft availability decision. The late departure tonight and for the next four is being serviced by a west coast originating aircraft - SFO.
Planeraz is offline  
Old 25th May 2023, 20:22
  #1294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,848
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These later TA flights will be very useful for PAX starting from much of Scotland (and NE England !) because it will save a night in a hotel.
inOban is offline  
Old 25th May 2023, 21:26
  #1295 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 582
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laviation
Surprises me UA went for 2x 752 over, say, 1x 764 or 1x 787-10
Originally Posted by Planeraz
I’m assuming it’s a scheduling or aircraft availability decision. The late departure tonight and for the next four is being serviced by a west coast originating aircraft - SFO.
Or EDI widebody parking limitations...
GoEDI is offline  
Old 26th May 2023, 01:49
  #1296 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 53
Posts: 1,444
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoEDI
Or EDI widebody parking limitations...
If UA said they were bringing a Dreamliner, Im sure they’d find suddenly space…
VickersVicount is offline  
Old 26th May 2023, 12:09
  #1297 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Falkirk
Posts: 271
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VickersVicount
If UA said they were bringing a Dreamliner, Im sure they’d find suddenly space…
Wishful thinking but would be great if they did bring a Dreamliner for NYC or other route.
Sk1schoolsam is offline  
Old 26th May 2023, 15:13
  #1298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 43
Posts: 1,610
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sk1schoolsam
Wishful thinking but would be great if they did bring a Dreamliner for NYC or other route.
Why do you say that? They have a hundred on order and Air Canada chose the B787 over the MAX for EDI this year.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 26th May 2023, 20:32
  #1299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Falkirk
Posts: 271
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
Why do you say that? They have a hundred on order and Air Canada chose the B787 over the MAX for EDI this year.
Would be great if they did bring a 787s to EDI instead of the 757 or 767s - When do they expect deliveries?
Sk1schoolsam is offline  
Old 27th May 2023, 00:29
  #1300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 53
Posts: 1,444
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sk1schoolsam
Would be great if they did bring a 787s to EDI instead of the 757 or 767s - When do they expect deliveries?
Equally where are all the A321s for all the carriers going?
VickersVicount is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.