Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Edinburgh-4

Old 20th May 2023, 21:30
  #1261 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 2,297
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspect their media team were caught up in the mess that was the possible pilot strike and cancellations of hundreds of international flights, so suspect fanfare was not top priority. A few inaugurals I have been involved in actually offered a promo discounted fare bucket which fills first.
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 20th May 2023, 21:57
  #1262 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: GB
Posts: 268
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If this route does well, intrigued to see where they'll go next from Calgary..
laviation is offline  
Old 20th May 2023, 22:01
  #1263 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 582
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
They all happened at EDI - doesn't really matter who was 'at fault' if your system doesn't have enough capacity to cope when the inevitable sh*t happens!
Said system would have had the capacity ordinarily without the works in progress closing a code E stand... Although it can certainly be questioned why the stand closure/jet bridge repair was not completed before mid May...
GoEDI is offline  
Old 22nd May 2023, 08:59
  #1264 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laviation
If this route does well, intrigued to see where they'll go next from Calgary..
​​​​​I'm fairly sure they've recently consolidated all long haul flying to Calgary so I wouldn't expect a resumption of Toronto (or Halifax which was at Glasgow) any time soon. Any frequency uplift would also come at the expense of another route since all 789s are accounted for and they've got no plans to add any more.
ld0595 is online now  
Old 22nd May 2023, 09:15
  #1265 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 457
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Delta

Another new route on the horizon? A couple of sources at EDI dropping hints that Delta, for S24, may announce another new route. The twin cities - MSP is rumoured to be the destination.
Planeraz is online now  
Old 22nd May 2023, 10:25
  #1266 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: GB
Posts: 268
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeraz
Delta

Another new route on the horizon? A couple of sources at EDI dropping hints that Delta, for S24, may announce another new route. The twin cities - MSP is rumoured to be the destination.
I think Detroit is a better shot - MSP to DUB was always my thought for Minneapolis
laviation is offline  
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:34
  #1267 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 198
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A350Saltire
My parents went through today to catch their flight to Madrid and they said they were through quickly and sitting relaxing in a bar with a drink. I guess itís peaks and troughs.
I totally agree with the peaks and troughs theory, although lately there seems to be an increasing number of peaks. Two departures from EDI last year spring to mind with me, one a mid afternoon to PFO that was smooth and easy, although with one of the horrible tarmac walks in the oldest part of the terminal, and the other was a first wave departure to MRS that, resulted in us almost missing the flight even though we had miscalculated and arrived in the car park nearly 4 hours prior to departure time.
I had never seen an airport as crowded as the first wave departure from EDI - all airlines (EZY, Jet2, FR) had horrendous queues at bag drop, and Security was packed and they were closing the entry gates more often than opening them - cue people shouting, screaming, pushing, fighting. Not pleasant. I don't know about aircraft movement delays, but I do know we had to be off our stand and wait remotely for our ATC slot on that morning flight. I'm happy for EDI's success, but it is definitely bursting at the seams at times!
XSBaggage is offline  
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:45
  #1268 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 43
Posts: 1,638
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by laviation
I think Detroit is a better shot - MSP to DUB was always my thought for Minneapolis
Part of me wants to dampen down excitable chatter BUT I always think of Dublin when I was growing up with two Aer Lingus B747s out to BOS and JFK via SNN where NWO also flew onto PIK. Same old slog year after year for ages. Over time, that long haul market changed massively for the better and the dead seasonality has been evened out. Perhaps something similar is finally happening to Scotland, long overdue and without a based flag carrier to help. Sometimes we don't believe change can happen even as we live through it. It would be interesting to see the pull factor EDI now exerts all the way from NCL and the borders to Ayrshire and beyond. United don't need to serve GLA/NCL anymore if they can pull traffic to EDI.
I grew up watching the NW/AC/AA/BA/UA bubble burst at GLA in the '90s, perhaps this is finally the real deal in growth?
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:04
  #1269 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 3,177
Received 510 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
Part of me wants to dampen down excitable chatter BUT I always think of Dublin when I was growing up with two Aer Lingus B747s out to BOS and JFK via SNN where NWO also flew onto PIK. Same old slog year after year for ages. Over time, that long haul market changed massively for the better and the dead seasonality has been evened out. Perhaps something similar is finally happening to Scotland, long overdue and without a based flag carrier to help. Sometimes we don't believe change can happen even as we live through it. It would be interesting to see the pull factor EDI now exerts all the way from NCL and the borders to Ayrshire and beyond. United don't need to serve GLA/NCL anymore if they can pull traffic to EDI.
I grew up watching the NW/AC/AA/BA/UA bubble burst at GLA in the '90s, perhaps this is finally the real deal in growth?
Given the growth of transatlantic routes at Edinburgh one wonders whether British Airways and Virgin may be regretting not having a foothold there.

Of course Virgin is allied to Delta and BA with American so all is hardly lost, but it appears as though the year-round market is making EDI very attractive and the two 'London' carriers may have missed an opportunity.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:11
  #1270 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 235
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A member of staff at the airport has said "Edinburgh has become the largest UK airport for Transatlantic flying outside London, which is a fantastic achievement (with more to come!)" (my emphasis) so the excitable chatter would seem to have some merit.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/pavel...052609536-dEuq

tartan 201 is offline  
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:40
  #1271 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 457
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tartan 201
A member of staff at the airport has said "Edinburgh has become the largest UK airport for Transatlantic flying outside London, which is a fantastic achievement (with more to come!)" (my emphasis) so the excitable chatter would seem to have some merit.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/pavel...052609536-dEuq
Very exciting times for EDI. Deltaís Atlanta route is said to be performing way above initial expectations. Increasing from initially proposed 5 x weekly to daily before the route even starts.
Planeraz is online now  
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:47
  #1272 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: scotland
Posts: 119
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
Part of me wants to dampen down excitable chatter BUT I always think of Dublin when I was growing up with two Aer Lingus B747s out to BOS and JFK via SNN where NWO also flew onto PIK. Same old slog year after year for ages. Over time, that long haul market changed massively for the better and the dead seasonality has been evened out. Perhaps something similar is finally happening to Scotland, long overdue and without a based flag carrier to help. Sometimes we don't believe change can happen even as we live through it. It would be interesting to see the pull factor EDI now exerts all the way from NCL and the borders to Ayrshire and beyond. United don't need to serve GLA/NCL anymore if they can pull traffic to EDI.
I grew up watching the NW/AC/AA/BA/UA bubble burst at GLA in the '90s, perhaps this is finally the real deal in growth?
The difference is Dublin has 1) Irish tourism trade, which is huge compared to Scotland and 2) Lots of very large international business, driving lots of business travel - not much business to fly to Scotland for anymore
nebpor is offline  
Old 22nd May 2023, 14:24
  #1273 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Falkirk
Posts: 278
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nebpor
The difference is Dublin has 1) Irish tourism trade, which is huge compared to Scotland and 2) Lots of very large international business, driving lots of business travel - not much business to fly to Scotland for anymore
But maybe this will help create likes to attract more. I am sure DUBís US connectivity helps drive this.
Sk1schoolsam is offline  
Old 22nd May 2023, 14:31
  #1274 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Falkirk
Posts: 278
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Planeraz
Very exciting times for EDI. Deltaís Atlanta route is said to be performing way above initial expectations. Increasing from initially proposed 5 x weekly to daily before the route even starts.
IMO (From a purely personal practical perspective) a direct West coast link with Delta/United to SFO or LAX even on a 3x Weekly service would be a boon. I think there is huge potential for leisure travel (California Tourism advertising heavily on the radio at the moment) so both ways, and for business with Silicon Valley and our home grown E Gaming and other tech companies.

I welcome any new connections but cannot disagree with the need for investment and facilities growth but sceptical if the current owners will ever go as far as a new Terminal.

Sk1schoolsam is offline  
Old 22nd May 2023, 14:43
  #1275 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: scotland
Posts: 119
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sk1schoolsam
But maybe this will help create likes to attract more. I am sure DUBís US connectivity helps drive this.
I dearly hope so - it's a pain getting out of Scotland these days, I'm just a bit pessimistic that EDI is the next DUB!
nebpor is offline  
Old 22nd May 2023, 16:22
  #1276 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Falkirk
Posts: 278
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nebpor
I dearly hope so - it's a pain getting out of Scotland these days, I'm just a bit pessimistic that EDI is the next DUB!
Nor do I for lots of reasons they are very different, and unfortunately IMO the financial and political backing is not there either.
Sk1schoolsam is offline  
Old 22nd May 2023, 18:52
  #1277 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: GB
Posts: 268
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
It would be interesting to see the pull factor EDI now exerts all the way from NCL and the borders to Ayrshire and beyond. United don't need to serve GLA/NCL anymore if they can pull traffic to EDI.
Certainly. It will be interesting to see whether UA give Glasgow another go. In terms of their "recently gone" UK destinations, well BFS, NCL and BHX certainly won't come back for the forseeable. I'm of the opinion UA will launch LAX-EDI with Dreamliners a few years down the line. Hearing whispers of a certain North West airport getting EWR back in Summer 24, and that's about it from United really.
laviation is offline  
Old 22nd May 2023, 21:08
  #1278 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 457
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by laviation
Certainly. It will be interesting to see whether UA give Glasgow another go. In terms of their "recently gone" UK destinations, well BFS, NCL and BHX certainly won't come back for the forseeable. I'm of the opinion UA will launch LAX-EDI with Dreamliners a few years down the line. Hearing whispers of a certain North West airport getting EWR back in Summer 24, and that's about it from United really.
EDI management certainly appear to be confident of securing more routes. American from PHL is an obvious target. PHL airport have specifically listed EDI as a route they want back. All will depend on aircraft availability with AA. As posted earlier, a new route with Delta is being suggested. MSP and DTW to name two. I wonder if they may extend ATL to a near year round operation given they are scaling back JFK in W23?
Planeraz is online now  
Old 22nd May 2023, 22:15
  #1279 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 43
Posts: 1,638
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
For Delta, JFK will have a lot of traffic heading to New York as well as good connections out of a major hub. ATL will have almost no one going to Atlanta and will be funneling one stop connections. Given almost no one is heading to Detroit or the twin cities compared to say Boston, you have two routes with good point to point in JFK/BOS and one route to mop up connections. Might it not make more sense to think in terms of ATL being upgauged to an A330 over time rather than adding in DTW/MSP? DUB has neither if we're looking for comparison and MAN only has ATL albeit on VS.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 23rd May 2023, 06:59
  #1280 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 53
Posts: 1,463
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MSP/DTW would seem very ambitious. Wonder where that originated from unless there are incentives at play. I still have slight concerns the current US bubble will pop and that finite connecting pax would then just be pulled from other established hubs. Some of these suggested routes are marginal ex LHR never mind anywhere else.
VickersVicount is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.