Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Southampton-3

Old 7th Sep 2023, 07:25
  #2001 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,378
Received 360 Likes on 209 Posts
The problem is that the area south of London is by far the most under-resourced area in the country for new building, houses etc - many of the airports in S England are actually in or immediately adjacent to built up areas under severe development pressure. Lydd is the only real exception. Shoreham & Blackbushe must be a major concern - then Southampton. Bournemouth may last a bit longer. Exeter? who knows......................
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2023, 07:31
  #2002 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 882
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
The problem is that the area south of London is by far the most under-resourced area in the country for new building, houses etc - many of the airports in S England are actually in or immediately adjacent to built up areas under severe development pressure. Lydd is the only real exception. Shoreham & Blackbushe must be a major concern - then Southampton. Bournemouth may last a bit longer. Exeter? who knows......................
You are on the wrong forum group and instead suggest you post on Construction News, tedious to say the least!
stewyb is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2023, 07:57
  #2003 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 74
Posts: 1,481
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
The problem is that the area south of London is by far the most under-resourced area in the country for new building, houses etc - many of the airports in S England are actually in or immediately adjacent to built up areas under severe development pressure. Lydd is the only real exception. Shoreham & Blackbushe must be a major concern - then Southampton. Bournemouth may last a bit longer. Exeter? who knows......................
You may find this “tedious”; personally, I find it “fair comment”. I can’t see why it would get anyone “hot under the collar”. Given the current concern about aviation generally (& I am an enthusiast), it only feels appropriate that people engage in this sort of speculation or discussion. “General interest” would cover it.
kcockayne is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2023, 20:56
  #2004 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: UK
Age: 59
Posts: 2,711
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
The problem is that the area south of London is by far the most under-resourced area in the country for new building, houses etc - many of the airports in S England are actually in or immediately adjacent to built up areas under severe development pressure. Lydd is the only real exception. Shoreham & Blackbushe must be a major concern - then Southampton. Bournemouth may last a bit longer. Exeter? who knows......................
I can assure you that there is no such concern at Blackbushe!

Apologies for off-topic response, but couldn't leave what is a very ill/not informed comment.
Wycombe is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2023, 07:49
  #2005 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,378
Received 360 Likes on 209 Posts
It's never the people who fly from an airport/airfield that you have to worry about - it's the financial types who drive by every day and think $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Then they start financial engineering and make offers that no-one can refuse
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 15:43
  #2006 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,526
Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Is there to be an official launch event in September?
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 15:53
  #2007 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Bit difficult to get the average person in So'ton excited about an asphalt strip being extended...
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 15:55
  #2008 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,526
Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
Bit difficult to get the average person in So'ton excited about an asphalt strip being extended...
Yes - amazing how people can be so negative.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 16:20
  #2009 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Yes - amazing how people can be so negative.
As the marketing saying goes, you sell the sizzle not the sausage - i.e. you gotta show real tangible benefits to somebody who is neither an airport employee nor somebody with special interest in the runway.
Show new routes appearing, and the average person is interested. Show them a strip of asphalt saying "in ye olden days the asphalt only came up to where I'm standing and everything behind where I'm standing was just grass", and the reaction is likely to be "Meh...".
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 16:24
  #2010 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 9,843
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never a truer word spoken. Most Southampton residents won’t give a monkey’s and the ones that will be interested will be more concerned about extra noise, as they were the ones that objected.

Last edited by LTNman; 12th Sep 2023 at 17:07.
LTNman is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 20:13
  #2011 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southampton
Posts: 628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LTNman
Never a truer word spoken. Most Southampton residents won’t give a monkey’s and the ones that will be interested will be more concerned about extra noise, as they were the ones that objected.
The proof of the pudding is when there is announcement of Summer routes 24 ?
RW20 is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 20:18
  #2012 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Between the flower pots
Posts: 429
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There has been plenty of announcements at Southend but many still view the airport as failing.
Pain in the R's is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 21:31
  #2013 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pain in the R's
There has been plenty of announcements at Southend but many still view the airport as failing.
Difference being SOU has a very healthy and long standing domestic schedule of near on 30 departures per day, something SEN can only dream of. Add to that some expected holiday/European city destinations and you have an airport that is very much not failing and will most likely hit 1m pax per annum within 12/18 months!
SouthernAlliance is offline  
Old 13th Sep 2023, 05:00
  #2014 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Between the flower pots
Posts: 429
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. SOU existing routes are the bedrock of its operations and will remain so. We all await with great anticipation to see what will happen in the next 12 to 24 months. Getting new routes will not be an issue as surely they will come but the big question is will they be successful, as U.K. plc faces some challenging times ahead and there might well be some consolidation next summer.

An issue is that with no announcements forthcoming passengers are already booking their Gatwick flights for next year, business that could have come to Southampton.
Pain in the R's is offline  
Old 13th Sep 2023, 19:26
  #2015 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aer Lingus - BHD goes x 3 daily from 29th October. No news as yet of Loganair taking on MAN x 3 daily!
SouthernAlliance is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2023, 07:03
  #2016 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: worcester
Age: 51
Posts: 44
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EasyJet summer 2024

Well EasyJet have released flights up until September 2024 this morning,still no new destinations from Southampton ☹️
uptoncol is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2023, 07:27
  #2017 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,526
Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by uptoncol
Well EasyJet have released flights up until September 2024 this morning,still no new destinations from Southampton ☹️
Does that include any new flights anywhere else, or just a roll over of the exisitng timetable? They tend to save launches of new routes and announce them separaretly
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2023, 07:27
  #2018 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 882
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uptoncol
Well EasyJet have released flights up until September 2024 this morning,still no new destinations from Southampton ☹️
New routes are released separate, these will be announced in the coming weeks!
stewyb is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2023, 15:56
  #2019 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Southampton
Posts: 134
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stewyb
New routes are released separate, these will be announced in the coming weeks!
In the coming weeks 🤔

And you're absolutely convinced in your mind that any announcement by EasyJet will include Southampton.

I'm hoping like everything else on this thread that any announcement by EasyJet regarding new routes will include Southampton. But tbh I'm not as optimistic as you and several others are regarding this.

If EasyJet were to announce a range of new flights from Southampton I'm absolutely sure that they would have announced it by now. Schedules for Summer 2024 at Southampton would surely be available by now if EasyJet were as serious as you try and make out.

In previous post's you have more or less given the impression that you have some kind of inside knowledge. After reading the same same in nearly every post I'm under the impression that your not engaged with any "inside knowledge".

It's all hear say and totally based on unfounded rumours. As I've previously mentioned on several occasions, until there is an official announcement by EasyJet regarding any new routes from Southampton it's all wishful thinking.

FYI....one of the reasons why I gave up plane registration spotting in the early 1980s was because of the totally unfounded rumours that were continous and annoying.
Sotonsean is online now  
Old 14th Sep 2023, 16:14
  #2020 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southampton
Posts: 168
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sotonsean
In the coming weeks 🤔

And you're absolutely convinced in your mind that any announcement by EasyJet will include Southampton.

I'm hoping like everything else on this thread that any announcement by EasyJet regarding new routes will include Southampton. But tbh I'm not as optimistic as you and several others are regarding this.

If EasyJet were to announce a range of new flights from Southampton I'm absolutely sure that they would have announced it by now. Schedules for Summer 2024 at Southampton would surely be available by now if EasyJet were as serious as you try and make out.

In previous post's you have more or less given the impression that you have some kind of inside knowledge. After reading the same same in nearly every post I'm under the impression that your not engaged with any "inside knowledge".

It's all hear say and totally based on unfounded rumours. As I've previously mentioned on several occasions, until there is an official announcement by EasyJet regarding any new routes from Southampton it's all wishful thinking.

FYI....one of the reasons why I gave up plane registration spotting in the early 1980s was because of the totally unfounded rumours that were continous and annoying.
Thats way too constructive and sensible a reply/view, may you be banished from this thread forever with that kind of negative thinking!!! 😉😂

Of course though, you are 100% correct, is far too many dreamers on here only believing there own made up fantasies......

What will be will be.......
Dropoffcharge is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.