Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

MH370 - "new" news

Old 20th Dec 2022, 21:09
  #181 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,314
Received 246 Likes on 118 Posts
Since dr dre didn’t respond to the original question, my response would be to use old school methods if VNAV was not available. You can approximate the descent point based on the 3-in-1 method or the metres button. eg From FL340 to sea level, 3x34=102NM, or FL340=10363m (103.63NM).
Nice try GBO but there are a few more considerations when manually calculating a ToD point. All you have done is demonstrate, once again, that you have NFI what you are talking about.
Lookleft is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Lookleft:
Old 20th Dec 2022, 22:14
  #182 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Montenegro
Age: 41
Posts: 339
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a (possible) theory 8 years ago and I still stand by it. He maybe(just maybe) wanted to land on Christmas Island(which he frequently practiced on a simulator) and he went around to be so far from the radar and air traffic (which correlates with pings) and then failed because he was under pressure in cabin from other pilot/passengers or just lost the nav or what not, even the drift data supports this (the parts that washed ashore on Madagascar). Of course I don't think it IS what happened but just a possibility that's not being discussed because people are so convinced that he performed suicide just because of that. It's crazy how dark thoughts prevail in people's minds that they can't think of anything else.
AreOut is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 22:55
  #183 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: victoria bc
Age: 82
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AreOut
I had a (possible) theory 8 years ago and I still stand by it. He maybe(just maybe) wanted to land on Christmas Island(which he frequently practiced on a simulator) and he went around to be so far from the radar and air traffic (which correlates with pings) and then failed because he was under pressure in cabin from other pilot/passengers or just lost the nav or what not, even the drift data supports this (the parts that washed ashore on Madagascar). Of course I don't think it IS what happened but just a possibility that's not being discussed because people are so convinced that he performed suicide just because of that. It's crazy how dark thoughts prevail in people's minds that they can't think of anything else.
If you look carefully you will find quite a number of facts that support the real story.
ferry pilot is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 23:08
  #184 (permalink)  
GBO
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 118
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lookleft
Nice try GBO but there are a few more considerations when manually calculating a ToD point. All you have done is demonstrate, once again, that you have NFI what you are talking about.
Lookleft, thanks for your compliments.

Iím interested to know where you think the VNAV Top Of Descent point is for Penang if:
VNAV is available,
Cruise at FL340/294CAS,
Descent speed 268CAS,
Nil wind,
No STAR or approach loaded,
Distance from IGARI to Penang is 222NM.
GBO is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 23:42
  #185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,314
Received 246 Likes on 118 Posts
Why are you interested? So that you can add more information to your "How I can pretend to sound like an airline pilot" folder? I am going to keep my information about how to calculate a ToD in my SAPB folder. The information you have provided to calculate the ToD is just stupid and has some very unrealistic assumptions. I will leave you to discuss with other pilots within your "airline" when next you are in your "crewroom" what the unrealistic assumptions are.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 23:48
  #186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: victoria bc
Age: 82
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
How can you possibly know that he is correct?

Sometimes people just need to take a step back and look at the big picture. Thereís very little hard facts that can be established with this incident. Any theories on hypoxia or smoke inhalation or massive avionics failure are speculation. Thereís no way they can be proven correct. Even if/when the data recorders may be recovered it still probably wonít be conclusive enough to end speculation.

Maybe this will be unsolved forever.
It was solved right after it happened.
ferry pilot is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 23:50
  #187 (permalink)  
GBO
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 118
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lookleft
I am going to keep my information about how to calculate a ToD in my SAPB folder. The information you have provided to calculate the ToD is just stupid and has some very unrealistic assumptions.
Thank you for your quick reply.

Itís OK to say you couldnít calculate it, itís not a competition.
Which assumption do you think is unrealistic?
GBO is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 00:35
  #188 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,314
Received 246 Likes on 118 Posts
Which assumption do you think is unrealistic?
See that was the trap right there and you walked into it. An actual airline pilot would have looked at your data and gone "Well you can't assume that parameter and why would you calculate a ToD based on that measurement." All I will say is that if you have calculated a ToD of 102nm in a WB from 340 then you better make the cabin preparation call very very early.
Lookleft is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 21st Dec 2022, 01:10
  #189 (permalink)  
GBO
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 118
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Lookleft, thanks for your insightful answer.

Given that the distance from IGARI to Penang is 222 NM, there is no requirement for MH370 to commence a descent immediately after the turn back.
It hasnít reached the VNAV Top of Descent point from FL340 / 294CAS, for an ECON desc speed 268CAS in nil wind and without a Penang STAR or approach loaded.
GBO is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 02:17
  #190 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,314
Received 246 Likes on 118 Posts
Given that the distance from IGARI to Penang is 222 NM, there is no requirement for MH370 to commence a descent immediately after the turn back.
You say that with such authority. Ok if there is no requirement is there anything else that you can think of that might have MH370 needing to start its descent?

​​​​​​​It hasn’t reached the VNAV Top of Descent point from FL340 / 294CAS, for an ECON desc speed 268CAS in nil wind and without a Penang STAR or approach loaded.
I like all the numbers used but without an FDR or CVR or any clue at all, what makes you think they are the precise numbers that MH370 used on its engineer/FA/expert flight simmer programmed descent to Penang?
Lookleft is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 02:52
  #191 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Moved beyond
Posts: 1,229
Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by GBO
I’m interested to know where you think the VNAV Top Of Descent point is for Penang if:
VNAV is available,
Cruise at FL340/294CAS,
Descent speed 268CAS,
Nil wind,
No STAR or approach loaded,
Distance from IGARI to Penang is 222NM.
I'm curious to see where you intend going with this. At a heavy weight of about 210 T, the descent point from FL340 would be about 130 NM from Penang.
BuzzBox is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 03:14
  #192 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: victoria bc
Age: 82
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The true story of MH370 is available to anyone but likely to be found by very few.
Even listing the primary elements of it would be frowned on by this and any other public forum.
The media lost interest as soon as they saw what it was. Their focus went straight to the accident theories that flourish to this day.

What really happened is no secret, and certainly no mystery. A cursory internet search of the pilot will reveal a man with a very interesting life beyond his professional one. Deeper investigation leads to more of the story, but it is far from simple. Like any investigation, there are leads that go in different directions, many of them wrong.

The internet is a marvelous tool for the amateur sleuth, but this is like a maze in a foreign country. They do things different here, but in the end the same human nature that drives anyone to crisis drives us all. Once you see what really happened it all comes together and makes as much sense as anything like this can.

This is a story worth knowing. And worth telling. A guaranteed Pulitzer Prize winner if it ever finds its way to the writer who can do it justice. Once you know what happened here you will never think about pilot suicide and murder.in the same way again.

Last edited by ferry pilot; 21st Dec 2022 at 06:05.
ferry pilot is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 03:21
  #193 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 5,389
Received 475 Likes on 239 Posts
I’ll bite: Please just tell us what happened, ferry pilot. I for one will vote 1 ferry pilot for a Pulitzer Prize.
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 05:43
  #194 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: victoria bc
Age: 82
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I told you what to look for. You have a keyboard and curiosity. Now all you need is time and patience.
ferry pilot is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 06:12
  #195 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,314
Received 246 Likes on 118 Posts
Grasshopper, you forgot to address him as grasshopper.
Lookleft is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Lookleft:
Old 21st Dec 2022, 06:31
  #196 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: victoria bc
Age: 82
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
Grasshopper, you forgot to address him as grasshopper.

Looks like I am in the wrong room. Wouldn't be the first time.
ferry pilot is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 06:33
  #197 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 5,389
Received 475 Likes on 239 Posts
Is it a padded cell? If yes, you’re in the correct room.
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 10:11
  #198 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 3,915
Likes: 0
Received 262 Likes on 115 Posts
oint from FL340 / 294CAS, for an ECON desc speed 268CAS
Another example showing why you are not a jet pilot. We fly IAS, we cannot see CAS.
Icarus2001 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 21st Dec 2022, 10:18
  #199 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,318
Received 407 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by ferry pilot
m
The internet is a marvelous tool for the amateur sleuth
And thatís why the internet sucksÖ..
dr dre is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 15:36
  #200 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Montenegro
Age: 41
Posts: 339
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ferry pilot
If you look carefully you will find quite a number of facts that support the real story.
I have looked carefully and found none. The "real story" just doesn't stand, it's based on assumption that the pilot succeeded to do what he wanted to do which has been a false premise from the beginning. Drift data doesn't support it, also from psychological POV it doesn't fit any known human behaviour. But investigators have decided that it has to be suicide and based all further investigation upon that assumption.
AreOut is offline  
The following users liked this post:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.