Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 15th Oct 2021, 04:03
  #8461 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 1,133
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Icarus2001
So what if ScoMo says the international border is now "open" with no quarantine reqquirement on arrival for vaccinated travellers.

Perth Airport is now open for business.

McGowan says no way. His authority ends at the airport boundary does it not? Federal land and all that, AFP jurisdiction not WAPOL.

Would be an interesting little exercise.
Oh come on, if the state is closed to arrivals that's it, no different to a domestic turn around enroute, which has happened.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 04:07
  #8462 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,910
Received 200 Likes on 67 Posts
ScoMo has just said that the Federal Government controls the borders. No tourists yet. Only returning Australians will be allowed to start with.
SOPS is online now  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 04:07
  #8463 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 1,133
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryGnu
So what about the inverse situation where one state is ahead of the others and is prepared to accept the risk and reward of allowing travellers across the border?
Then the International Borders are open and thus ends the National State of Emergency. An individual state can remain closed to both either or International or Domestic Travel.

That wasn't the plan though, it was all of us together, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in stages as you say.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 04:17
  #8464 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 1,015
Received 106 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
I'm not sure the Feds can open the International Borders to just one state. An overly enthusiastic new Premier perhaps.
They can, and they just did. NSW open for returning Australians and immediate family which is being looked at to being expanded to parents, permanent residents are also allowed to freely leave for holiday and return with no quarantine into NSW with proof of TGA approved double vaccination. Sco Mo also said “Australians are allowed to leave freely” meaning WA residents are free to leave Aus and return, however, will be subject to their own state requirements getting to their residents where ever that is.
SHVC is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 04:24
  #8465 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 1,133
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SHVC
They can, and they just did. NSW open for returning Australians and immediate family which is being looked at to being expanded to parents, permanent residents are also allowed to freely leave for holiday and return with no quarantine into NSW with proof of TGA approved double vaccination. Sco Mo also said “Australians are allowed to leave freely” meaning WA residents are free to leave Aus and return, however, will be subject to their own state requirements getting to their residents where ever that is.
Another case of what was said and what is understood to have been said. All of the states have been open to returning Australians albeit in limited numbers and on occasions no entry at all to an individual state. Australians leaving can but not so freely and returning has always been subject to conditions.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 04:34
  #8466 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cab of a Freight Train
Posts: 1,232
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by SHVC
They can, and they just did. NSW open for returning Australians and immediate family which is being looked at to being expanded to parents, permanent residents are also allowed to freely leave for holiday and return with no quarantine into NSW with proof of TGA approved double vaccination. Sco Mo also said “Australians are allowed to leave freely” meaning WA residents are free to leave Aus and return, however, will be subject to their own state requirements getting to their residents where ever that is.
And that could be what The Dom is looking forward to.

If McGoose or Anna-Stayaway continue to refuse permission to enter to anyone who has been in NSW, then any QLD/WA residents can fly back in to Oz, and will have to stay in NSW spending their $$ there rather than their home state. Who knows, he might even convince a few of them to stay in NSW with the logic "We did the righty by you, your own Premier turned their back & disowned you!"
KRviator is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 04:49
  #8467 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 3,938
Likes: 0
Received 272 Likes on 122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus2001 View Post
So what if ScoMo says the international border is now "open" with no quarantine reqquirement on arrival for vaccinated travellers.

Perth Airport is now open for business.

McGowan says no way. His authority ends at the airport boundary does it not? Federal land and all that, AFP jurisdiction not WAPOL.

Would be an interesting little exercise.
Oh come on, if the state is closed to arrivals that's it, no different to a domestic turn around enroute, which has happened.

Domestic is a different beast to international.
Icarus2001 is online now  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 04:50
  #8468 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 1,015
Received 106 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
Another case of what was said and what is understood to have been said. All of the states have been open to returning Australians albeit in limited numbers and on occasions no entry at all to an individual state. Australians leaving can but not so freely and returning has always been subject to conditions.
Yeah ok what ever. We all know you’re dead set against moving on and living. Ppl will be able to enter NSW that’s what was said.
SHVC is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 05:06
  #8469 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: TIBA
Posts: 474
Received 141 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
Quarantine is federal anyway for International Inbound Passengers.
Always has been per the Constitution. “National Cabinet” convened and SCOMO conveniently palmed off his responsibility to the States. My point is he now has to actually make a decision and wear the consequences.

SOPS above reports he’s done just that.
CaptCloudbuster is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 05:19
  #8470 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,349
Received 464 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
I believe the remaining states won't be that far behind NSW including WA.
The CEO of Cricket Australia revealed today the discussions regarding the next Ashes test series that've been ongoing between the relevant parties and governments, indicating the series will go ahead as scheduled and they're happy with the negotiations with the WA government regarding the viability of the fifth test in Perth.

The 4th test ends in Sydney on Jan 9 and then the 5th test starts in Perth on the 14th. Obviously isn't going to be a 14 day quarantine in place by then.
dr dre is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 05:20
  #8471 (permalink)  

Evertonian
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: #3117# Ppruner of the Year Nominee 2005
Posts: 12,597
Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts
Wow. After all this time, people still don't know how the Quarantine arrangements work between Federal & State.
Buster Hyman is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 06:17
  #8472 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 1,133
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SHVC
Yeah ok what ever. We all know you’re dead set against moving on and living. Ppl will be able to enter NSW that’s what was said.
Mate that's really not fair, I'm a realist and say it like it is. The New NSW Premier does not have the powers to open his International Border, that's a Federal Government responsibility.

Now just a heads up, Emperor McGowan is likely to have some fun in the media with the new Liberal Premier, don't take it too seriously.

P.S We need a title for the new King of Liliput following the Slaying of Queen Gladys

Last edited by Xeptu; 15th Oct 2021 at 06:30.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 06:51
  #8473 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 617
Received 76 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu

Now just a heads up, Emperor McGowan is likely to have some fun in the media with the new Liberal Premier, don't take it too seriously.
McGowan is a man who doesn’t look like he’s ever had a moment’s fun in his entire life.
itsnotthatbloodyhard is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 07:24
  #8474 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 1,015
Received 106 Likes on 52 Posts
I’m a realist as much as you, and what DP has done is put SM balls in a noose! He went one way sco mo has now made it his own political agenda to go against him as he does not want to upset the voters of other states.

McGowen is a person that actually has not done a thing in his life! WA is an absolute mess he is riding the closed border covid wave and the that is the main reason he won in a landslide!

Now Gladys, her resignation is the best thing that happened to NSW I was a fan of her but her saying one thing doing another was getting old. Remember her saying the 11am would stop but the next day, the next day and after that there she was still doing them.
SHVC is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 07:31
  #8475 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 1,133
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SHVC
I’m a realist as much as you, and what DP has done is put SM balls in a noose! He went one way sco mo has now made it his own political agenda to go against him as he does not want to upset the voters of other states.

McGowen is a person that actually has not done a thing in his life! WA is an absolute mess he is riding the closed border covid wave and the that is the main reason he won in a landslide!

Now Gladys, her resignation is the best thing that happened to NSW I was a fan of her but her saying one thing doing another was getting old. Remember her saying the 11am would stop but the next day, the next day and after that there she was still doing them.
Mostly agreed, however that's politics, if a politician is going to appear in the media and sprout sh#t then they should expect a hosing down, that's what we Aussies do. The new King of Lilliput won't be any different, except he has the luxury of joining the race in the last 50 metres. Personally I think he's blown it already, lets see what happens.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 07:31
  #8476 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Doomadgee
Posts: 287
Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
I am trying to leave Australia, but have been denied an exit exemption. Good to know Australia is no better than North Korea. Surely, I can ignore this stupid travel exemption now.

Capn Rex Havoc is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 07:34
  #8477 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 668
Received 156 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by SHVC
I’m a realist as much as you, and what DP has done is put SM balls in a noose! He went one way sco mo has now made it his own political agenda to go against him as he does not want to upset the voters of other states.

McGowen is a person that actually has not done a thing in his life! WA is an absolute mess he is riding the closed border covid wave and the that is the main reason he won in a landslide!

Now Gladys, her resignation is the best thing that happened to NSW I was a fan of her but her saying one thing doing another was getting old. Remember her saying the 11am would stop but the next day, the next day and after that there she was still doing them.
Now we have a NSW premier who thinks he is the PM. To his credit Scomo hasn't been PM since the bushfires.
Ladloy is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 07:59
  #8478 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 1,015
Received 106 Likes on 52 Posts
DP will not be the savior, he is not even an elected leader of the ppl and to be honest he most likely wouldn’t be when the time comes, his time may be short lived! But, he is stirring the pot instead of a “conversation” or “we will look at it” he is actually doing and wanting to make it happen. To his credit that is putting pressure on all states, territories and his own liberal federal compatriots which is what this country needs wether you like it or not.

I say this, or write. Think of our national anthem and the words in it do they apply now?!! I’ve never been an advocate to change it, but, after covid and how our country has acted towards one another it certainty is not worthy anthem for us now.
SHVC is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 08:34
  #8479 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 1,133
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Mate I'm hearing what you say and I genuinely feel for those in Melb, Syd and SE Queensland in that order, you guys have had it really tough the rest of us are grateful we don't live there.
For the rest of us that hasn't been our experience, the worst for us has been remembering to take your face mask with you when we want to go into a public place.
Yes we want the borders open and something like it was pre covid, but we're not in any rush, it's important to get everyone vaccinated. 80% double vaxxed is a good place to start the opening process. It's going to happen and if everything goes to plan before Christmas. The majority of Australians aren't feeling the pain some of you are.
We also know it's going to take time, pre covid normality isn't going to just happen on opening day, it's more like many many months.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 08:55
  #8480 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,349
Received 464 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
Yes we want the borders open and something like it was pre covid, but we're not in any rush, it's important to get everyone vaccinated. 80% double vaxxed is a good place to start the opening process. It's going to happen and if everything goes to plan before Christmas.
Just to reiterate NSW will be well above 80% double jabbed by Nov 1st, Victoria around 70%, QLD, SA, WA and NT around 60%.

The reason NSW can open to non quarantine international travel by then but no other state isn’t some strike of genius or great management on park of their government, it’s simply because they are more vaccinated as a result of receiving priority and allocation and having an a outbreak and lockdown which drove them to be vaccinated.

The other states will change their tune as their vax rate increases, although we want them to do it now they’ll wait further to get a more accurate picture before setting dates. Even NSW waited until 78% fully vaxxed until making this decision with a two week warning. It’s probably not as realistic for the Covid zero states to give their reopening plans now at 55% vax rates.

Tasmania is still aiming for a covid zero and going for a 3 day lockdown this weekend due to a loose positive case. That won’t happen in about 6-8 weeks.

Last edited by dr dre; 15th Oct 2021 at 09:10.
dr dre is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.