Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 9th Jul 2020, 07:01
  #321 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Peninsula
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So 2 or 300,000 dead (in Australia) but more likely over a million in ICU. The hospitals will be completely overwhelmed and they will be digging mass graves like they did in New York. That means if your car or plane crashes then no hospital bed for you sorry, you can die on the street.
Hysterical, demented garbage. You should start a youtube channel, or apply for a news dot com gig.
Bodie1 is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 07:08
  #322 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 358
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have been in Victoria in the last 14 days.. you are no longer allowed to come into WA, no matter what reason you have. The only exception are transport and freight workers.

So... you still can come into WA from Vic with the right reason?
Stickshift3000 is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 07:14
  #323 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Timbuktoo
Posts: 251
Received 107 Likes on 36 Posts
Its interesting looking at Sweden’s well publicised figures. Both total cases and deaths on a significant decline without harsh lockdowns. I wonder if in years to come we’ll look at their solution as better overall in the long term? Let it run its course rather than rolling lockdowns for who knows how long.

Worldometer Sweden Coronavirus Cases

brokenagain is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 07:18
  #324 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: nowhere
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bodie1

Hysterical, demented garbage. You should start a youtube channel, or apply for a news dot com gig.


1% of the Australian population is 250,000. It should be pretty obvious that not everybody dies from the virus, in fact most recover but some end up in ICU. Australia has ~2500 ICU beds (as of March, could be more now). Pretty simple maths, right?

Or are you one of these "it's all a hoax!" people? We're shutting down society for fun or because "comrade dan" is a closet commie and wants to steal our liberties ? ...........

What bull**** are you going to come up with next?
directimped is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 07:39
  #325 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Peninsula
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoax? Where do you draw that conclusion? Who said it was a hoax? Apart from a few of Chairman Dan's comrades.

What bull**** are you going to come up with next?
Can't be any worse than the hysterical bull**** you're coming up with.
Bodie1 is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 08:11
  #326 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 227
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS
WA borders just got a lot tighter. Both national and international. People who were coming from Victoria to work on the mines and things like that.. no longer can. If you have been in Victoria in the last 14 days.. you are no longer allowed to come into WA, no matter what reason you have. The only exception are transport and freight workers. More to come ...
Except for major AFL clubs it seems! Hmmm.....
Alice Kiwican is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 08:55
  #327 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,866
Received 132 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Alice Kiwican
Except for major AFL clubs it seems! Hmmm.....
Apparently because all AFL clubs are now out of Victoria.
SOPS is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 09:32
  #328 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NQLD
Age: 37
Posts: 279
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ozbiggles
If you want to let it rip (thanks for volunteering your old folks and probably yourGP as tribute) then do the figures for the American figures or that now fallen star of Sweden who’s chief epidemiologist now admits he got it wrong.
No and No.

The Swedish government is having a review to see what can be done BETTER now they’re past the worst of it. NOT because they think they’ve done the wrong thing.

Like any sensible government should after this is over.

The Swedish mortality rate is now back to average. The UK mortality rate is also back to average.
There are studies now suggesting the UK mortality rate may actually be lower for the next 1-5 years because COVID brought some deaths forward.

Nobody likes losing their loved ones. I’m not about to volunteer mine either. But the longer this goes on, the better the information available gets.

No this is not the Flu.
But neither is it SARS or MERS.
Lets try to stick to some facts instead of the worst case ‘what if’ that’s always presented by most of the media.
aviation_enthus is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 09:35
  #329 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 3,052
Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts
Its interesting looking at Sweden’s well publicised figures. Both total cases and deaths on a significant decline without harsh lockdowns. I wonder if in years to come we’ll look at their solution as better overall in the long term? Let it run its course rather than rolling lockdowns for who knows how long.
Taiwan are the country that have picked the right path through this. They have one of the lowest death rates per million and haven't blown up their economy or turned it into a Police State. Unfortunately though the whole world isscared of China so Taiwan's success has been downplayed or ignored.
neville_nobody is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 09:37
  #330 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 345
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neville_nobody
Taiwan are the country that have picked the right path through this. They have one of the lowest death rates per million and haven't blown up their economy or turned it into a Police State.
Hong Kong also, masks are common place there, seems to be key to stopping the spread of the virus
ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 09:40
  #331 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Coal Face
Posts: 1,265
Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by exfocx
Maybe you should look up the what's allowed and what isn't, the border closure has never been a hard closure. Flights between the states and from OS have been allowed from day one, as has vehicle traffic and there are processes in place to handle it. To call WA's border closure porous is ignorant.
Maybe you should have a word. "West Australian Premier Mark McGowan has defended the state's hard border amid a spike in coronavirus cases in Victoria."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...unday/12377760

If it wasn't porous then why the need to tighten entry even further?
Chronic Snoozer is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 09:41
  #332 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 938
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by aviation_enthus
No and No.

The Swedish government is having a review to see what can be done BETTER now they’re past the worst of it. NOT because they think they’ve done the wrong thing.

Like any sensible government should after this is over.

The Swedish mortality rate is now back to average. The UK mortality rate is also back to average.
There are studies now suggesting the UK mortality rate may actually be lower for the next 1-5 years because COVID brought some deaths forward.

Nobody likes losing their loved ones. I’m not about to volunteer mine either. But the longer this goes on, the better the information available gets.

No this is not the Flu.
But neither is it SARS or MERS.
Lets try to stick to some facts instead of the worst case ‘what if’ that’s always presented by most of the media.

ok, so he didn’t say this then?

Sweden's top epidemiologist has admitted his strategy to fight COVID-19 resulted in too many deaths, after persuading his country to avoid a strict lockdown.

"If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done," Anders Tegnell said in an interview with Swedish Radio.

But you are right when you say it is not SARS or MERS
Covid has killed a bucket Load more people than they have...And that’s the facts Jack.
ozbiggles is online now  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 09:45
  #333 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: HKG
Posts: 399
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I’m sure 99.999% of Taiwanese people can follow rules. If they don’t there are clear consequences. Meanwhile in Australia...
Green.Dot is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 10:10
  #334 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 938
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
And just to prove it is not only the yobbos who can’t follow the rules, check out the crew selfie and story in this one.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-...paign=abc_news
ozbiggles is online now  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 10:29
  #335 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NQLD
Age: 37
Posts: 279
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ozbiggles
"If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done," Anders Tegnell said in an interview with Swedish Radio.
Ok well I read his comments as saying there’s a better way if they encountered it again. I’ll point out he never specifically said ‘I was wrong’ but he did say ‘somewhere in between’ Sweden and the rest of the world. Not totally disregarding their approach or the rest of world.

Again, any decent government could make the same comment:
“If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today”
We would do.... ???

My point with COVID vs SARS/MERS is the average mortality. If you want to go for total deaths, a bad flu season still kills more people. I’m arguing that the overbearing response of a lot of countries will not work long term. There will have to be some sort of risk vs reward discussion to decide what each individual country want. That depends on how bad they’ve got it IE; every response will be different.
aviation_enthus is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 11:14
  #336 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: moon
Posts: 3,564
Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
For the morons who think “let the 1% die”, etc. The problem children, is that the mechanics of a pandemic will see the hospitals completely overwhelmed. It’s not about the. number of deaths it’s about the RATE OF CASES PRESENTING. The entire medical system gets overwhelmed and collapses. Think 100,000 people all trying to get medical attention at once at one hospital.

That means you break a leg, you die. Difficult birth you die. Heart attack you die. accident you die. There will be no medical treatment available at a all for anything. No pharmacies either. Your baby gets sick, it dies.

Under those conditions the economy stops. People don’t go to work. Food doesn’t get delivered. Power generation stops. Petrol stations close. Supermarkets can’t open. Panic, Riots, looting, crime collapse. That is what happens. You had a tiny taste a few months ago.

That is why the doctors talk about smoothing the curve, blunting the peak, etc.

You should be aware that Governments have been very carefully monitoring stuff like food and energy supplies for this reason.
Sunfish is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 11:34
  #337 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,082
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are people still spruiking Sweden as an example? It has one of the highest Covid 19 fatality rates in the world.(adjusted for population, of course)

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/t...hs-per-million

Why are people still spruiking the Swedish economy? It has tanked there like everywhere else.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/b...ronavirus.html

Why are people still spruiking herd immunity? Research is showing it to be a non starter, without a vaccine at least.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/vaccine-re...ry?id=71662733
currawong is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 11:43
  #338 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: I prefer to remain north of a direct line BNE-ADL
Age: 48
Posts: 1,283
Likes: 0
Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Agreed Sunfish, let the 1% die would result in a spike of probably close to 10% higher deaths than usual due to all other problems unable to be treated due to no hospital capacity. So that 250000 could turn into one or 2 million deaths over an un specified period depending on the time frame of COVID patients presenting, probably a couple of years.
However on the flip side stop start lockdowns will destroy people’s livelihood and increase deaths due to other causes too. This virus will keep doing this and outbreak constantly.... at some point I think a tactic of protecting the vulnerable and letting it run through the general population may be the only option in the future, Vaccine? Haha right, no effective one will ever appear, this virus is here for good.

As for international flying if we persist with lockdowns after each outbreak (which are going to occur again and again) forget 1 year, it could stretch out to 3-5 years until meaningful travel becomes an option.
Angle of Attack is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 11:55
  #339 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Tent
Posts: 916
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenagain
Its interesting looking at Sweden’s well publicised figures. Both total cases and deaths on a significant decline without harsh lockdowns. I wonder if in years to come we’ll look at their solution as better overall in the long term? Let it run its course rather than rolling lockdowns for who knows how long.

Worldometer Sweden Coronavirus Cases
Yes very interesting! look at what they count!!!!!!

It is only the city!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Numbers there are very very poor - now count the rural (no figures available), but from memory the do count aged care in the "official numbers" that other countries do not.
Bend alot is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 12:01
  #340 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Posts: 144
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Angle of Attack
As for international flying if we persist with lockdowns after each outbreak (which are going to occur again and again) forget 1 year, it could stretch out to 3-5 years until meaningful travel becomes an option.
I agree. What airlines will be around after that period of time to do the flying? The Air Force?
Jeps is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.