PDA

View Full Version : Jet2-5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12

pamann
24th Sep 2019, 21:12
Strikes me as a golden opportunity for Jet2 to have a go at the long haul market in the pursuit of further growth. If they don't go for long haul now they'll never have a better chance with the shortage of capacity next summer. There's lots of potential opportunities within the European market though so perhaps they'll focus on these instead and stick to what they know works. Would like to see them be bold and go for it.

There’s a massive hole in the market called ‘Cuba’ from the UK. Tui pulled out of this market a season or two ago.

Also Orlando, Cancun, Vegas and Goa spring to mind as having lost a lot of capacity.

eggc
24th Sep 2019, 21:23
Seats to some of these destinations are going to be hard to come by next summer, first to act will mop up. I guarantee we're not the only ones discussing it. There's a lot of TCX staff that would be pleased if somebody would act quickly too.

redED
24th Sep 2019, 21:27
I am sure they have, probably for several months

More like several years

garry8g
25th Sep 2019, 16:03
Jethro’s advising tonight that Jet2 have cancelled the disposal of the 3 B757-200’s planned for the end of summer 19. Extra capacity for somewhere.

BFS BHD
25th Sep 2019, 16:51
Any update on the four 2nd hand B737-800s that Jet2 where getting?
Going by Jethro's they should have been D-ASXR, OY-PSE, VT-SPF and an unknown reg.

BAladdy
25th Sep 2019, 17:41
Any update on the four 2nd hand B737-800s that Jet2 where getting?
Going by Jethro's they should have been D-ASXR, OY-PSE, VT-SPF and an unknown reg.

OY-PSE - Was registered to Smartwings 04/07/19 as OK-TSV
VT-SPF - Was registered to Transavia France on 19/07/19 as F-HTVN

Scottie Dog
25th Sep 2019, 17:58
seasonally they already operate to New York, so sort of have a toe in the longhaul already....

I always originally thought about these as Christmas "shoppers specials". Perhaps times have changed?

deltahotel9
25th Sep 2019, 18:01
If they could get some more A330s it would help too, given LS/TCX frequently did the same destinations within hours of each, at NCL at least, they could certainly fill those on some of the more popular routes e.g. DLM, TFS etc. giving extra capacity without having to put lots of extra flights or additional aircraft? There is also scope to cover some of the routes TCX were the sole operator for e.g. Santorini, Skiathos etc. which have always been popular.

LBAflyer22
25th Sep 2019, 18:20
I always originally thought about these as Christmas "shoppers specials". Perhaps times have changed?

New York is long haul. No matter how you market it. It's long haul. Those 757's go ETOPS. That is 100% long haul.

Scottie Dog
25th Sep 2019, 18:29
Did I ever say it wasn't? All I said was that I seem to recall the Jet2 New York flights started as a series of flights aimed at operating before Christmas to take people to the city for a shopping break. Are you saying this was not the fact? Yes Jet2 operate to a fantastic range of destinations and, as an operator, take every opportunity to develop new routes.

LiamNCL
25th Sep 2019, 18:38
Did I ever say it wasn't? All I said was that I seem to recall the Jet2 New York flights started as a series of flights aimed at operating before Christmas to take people to the city for a shopping break. Are you saying this was not the fact? Yes Jet2 operate to a fantastic range of destinations and, as an operators, take I'll opportunity to develop new routes.

You are right they did , they even planned on flying trips to Boston and Toronto from GLA LBA and NCL but they were pulled. Nowadays the New York flights are simply a city break at peak time in the heart of Winter.

BFS BHD
25th Sep 2019, 19:16

Ahh thanks for the information!

BluffOldSeaDog
26th Sep 2019, 06:36
Jethro’s advising tonight that Jet2 have cancelled the disposal of the 3 B757-200’s planned for the end of summer 19. Extra capacity for somewhere.

Have you got the link for this?

LiamNCL
26th Sep 2019, 06:56
Have you got the link for this?

https://www.jethros.org.uk/previous/previous_updates.htm

LSAH / AI / AG Proposed disposal cancelled.

BluffOldSeaDog
26th Sep 2019, 07:02
Wood & Trees! Thanks

jonnyrobbo
26th Sep 2019, 09:50
G-CELE & G-CELY still set for disposal in October. I notice LE hasn’t been used for a few days now, has the process started?

sixchannel
26th Sep 2019, 15:24
G-CELE & G-CELY still set for disposal in October. I notice LE hasn’t been used for a few days now, has the process started?
G-CELE scheduled on todays 17.00 LBA - AMS.
G-CELY last flew yesterday (25th) so maybe not for the knackers yard just yet.
But soon?

sixchannel
26th Sep 2019, 15:30
And D-ASXR was leased to SunExpress in July as TC-SON. Maybe temporary??

sixchannel
26th Sep 2019, 15:46
If they could get some more A330s it would help too, given LS/TCX frequently did the same destinations within hours of each, at NCL at least, they could certainly fill those on some of the more popular routes e.g. DLM, TFS etc. giving extra capacity without having to put lots of extra flights or additional aircraft? There is also scope to cover some of the routes TCX were the sole operator for e.g. Santorini, Skiathos etc. which have always been popular.
Both 'Captains only' landings?

flybar
26th Sep 2019, 22:21

It would be an interesting landing in an A330 at Skiathos!

chrism20
26th Sep 2019, 23:01
It would be an interesting landing in an A330 at Skiathos!

It's white knuckle as it is in an A321

deltahotel9
27th Sep 2019, 06:32
I didn't mean the A330 for the Greek routes they would be nowhere near busy enough to justify it anyway, I was suggesting A330 for the busy routes like those I mentioned, and then to launch the Greek routes on the 738s, sorry for the confusion.

zfw
27th Sep 2019, 06:35
On wednesday whilst platying with the tower cameras at Man came across a Jet Airways tailed 737 800, engines opened up, being pushed out of the JET 2 hangar, but did not see where it was off too new aquisition?.

Curious Pax
27th Sep 2019, 06:58
On wednesday whilst platying with the tower cameras at Man came across a Jet Airways tailed 737 800, engines opened up, being pushed out of the JET 2 hangar, but did not see where it was off too new aquisition?.

As per some posts a couple of weeks back it’s G-DRTI that arrived on delivery at the end of May, and has been worked on ever since.

Plane.Silly
27th Sep 2019, 07:41
As per some posts a couple of weeks back it’s G-DRTI that arrived on delivery at the end of May, and has been worked on ever since.

4 months to work on one aircraft? seems like a long time for a 14 year old a/c.
also if it's been taking up hangar space for that long, does that mean other fleet maintenance has suffered as a result?

sixchannel
27th Sep 2019, 07:51
4 months to work on one aircraft? seems like a long time for a 14 year old a/c.
also if it's been taking up hangar space for that long, does that mean other fleet maintenance has suffered as a result?
With Jet2 I would doubt that very much.
More likely, given its origin, it was more than a bit dog-eared and has taken quite a bit of TLC to get it up to their standards mechanics wise.
One assumes they factored all this in when they bought it.

renort
27th Sep 2019, 11:15
Looks like an additional widebody will be supplementing the fleet for October due additional demand

sixchannel
27th Sep 2019, 11:24
Looks like an additional widebody will be supplementing the fleet for October due additional demand
What Source?

nowhereasfiled
27th Sep 2019, 14:18

Yeah an Evelop A330-300 will operate out of Manchester from the first week of Oct.

irishlad06
27th Sep 2019, 17:03
And a A321 into Manchester as additional too. YL-LCQ due to start operations from the 4th Oct

LiamNCL
27th Sep 2019, 19:25
NCL - FUE ACE TFS all increased up until April.

Flying Wild
27th Sep 2019, 21:13
At BHX, an extra 320 from Titan showing up in October.

garry8g
28th Sep 2019, 18:19
GLA now has a Titan A320 from early October, G-POWM on lease to Jet2

Mooncrest
28th Sep 2019, 18:27
The LBA-based SmartLynx A320, ES-SAP, hasn't flown for at least the last three days. She was taken to the hangar yesterday morning and was still in there this afternoon. She should have flown to Faro today but one of Jet2's own 738s did the honours instead.

irishlad06
28th Sep 2019, 22:19
GLA now has a Titan A320 from early October, G-POWM on lease to Jet2

The same aircraft then covers BHX from about the 21st onwards once the Scottish half term ends.

sixchannel
29th Sep 2019, 09:56
It's been "live" again today. If you look back to the 16th August comment, it was due to go for painting a week ago. Evidently maintenance is taking longer than was anticipated.
As I type this, G-DRTI landing at EMA after a 90 minute trip west over Ireland and back - MAN-EMA.
Max Alt - 28k, Max Speed - 560mph
Going for painting?

LiamNCL
29th Sep 2019, 14:32
As I type this, G-DRTI landing at EMA after a 90 minute trip west over Ireland and back - MAN-EMA.
Max Alt - 28k, Max Speed - 560mph
Going for painting?

Painting it must be surely.

sixchannel
29th Sep 2019, 14:46
Painting it must be surely.
I'm Sixchannel, not Shirley - except on Fridays ;-)

Johnny F@rt Pants
29th Sep 2019, 16:59
I'm Sixchannel, not Shirley - except on Fridays ;-)

I think he meant that Shirley is painting it;)​​​​​​​, I’ll get my coat........

sixchannel
29th Sep 2019, 17:13
I think he meant that Shirley is painting it;), I’ll get my coat........
OK - I'll get me roller and paint kettle..
​​​​​​​What do you fancy for G(et) - Down and DiRtI - Silver grey and red or white and blue with sunburst (my favourite)?

Ricco43
29th Sep 2019, 21:19
Has to be the Silver and Red based on the pictures knocking around of the patchwork.The red rudder is quite a sign I hope. OK - I'll get me roller and paint kettle..
What do you fancy for G(et) - Down and DiRtI - Silver grey and red or white and blue with sunburst (my favourite)?

nowhereasfiled
30th Sep 2019, 08:57
OK - I'll get me roller and paint kettle..
What do you fancy for G(et) - Down and DiRtI - Silver grey and red or white and blue with sunburst (my favourite)?

Anything it better than what it currently looks like

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1400x952/9e9562b6_252d_431c_885f_9ec94d995632_19d5cce57744bab30654d48 f67d1783f651136d6.jpeg
​​​​​​​

sixchannel
30th Sep 2019, 09:07
Anything it better than what it currently looks like

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1400x952/9e9562b6_252d_431c_885f_9ec94d995632_19d5cce57744bab30654d48 f67d1783f651136d6.jpeg
Ye Gods! What a patchwork. Looks like it needed some exterior (corrosion?) remedy work let alone what they must have found internally and electronically.
Do I espy a replacement rudder in Jet2 red? Maybe a clue to its finished scheme?
​​​​​​​I'll put me tin of white gloss back in the shed.

yeo valley
30th Sep 2019, 12:09
Almost looks as they kept running out of a few colours of paint. Any colour will do as long as its covered.

irishlad06
30th Sep 2019, 12:15
Ye Gods! What a patchwork. Looks like it needed some exterior (corrosion?) remedy work let alone what they must have found internally and electronically.
Do I espy a replacement rudder in Jet2 red? Maybe a clue to its finished scheme?
I'll put me tin of white gloss back in the shed.

off to be painted into Jet2.com red and silver - hint is also in the nose cone which is also new along with the tail fin as you pointed out.

garry8g
30th Sep 2019, 12:43
off to be painted into Jet2.com red and silver - hint is also in the nose cone which is also new along with the tail fin as you pointed out.

Is that also a couple of replacement aircraft doors, front and rear?

116d
1st Oct 2019, 08:37
Yeah an Evelop A330-300 will operate out of Manchester from the first week of Oct.

Do we know what flights the Evelop A330 will be operating out of MAN yet or is that still being worked out?

Plane.Silly
1st Oct 2019, 10:48
Do we know what flights the Evelop A330 will be operating out of MAN yet or is that still being worked out?

A simple check, but i believe it's flying to TFSx2, ACE, AYT, DLM, LCA and PFO
Flights between 8th October and 3rd Nov.
Someone correct me if im wrong please

irishlad06
1st Oct 2019, 11:29
do we know what flights the evelop a330 will be operating out of man yet or is that still being worked out?

mon - ace
tue - tfs
wed - lca
thu- dlm
fri - tfs
sat - aut
sun - pfo

Luke1991
1st Oct 2019, 11:36
All credit to Jet2 for their recoveries. G-LSAD seems to have had an issue in Rome, LSAE already en-route to recover the service!
Any other airline I can't help but feel this would just be a delay or a cancellation!

116d
1st Oct 2019, 12:20
Plane.Silly and irishlad06 - many thanks for the confirmation.

nowhereasfiled
1st Oct 2019, 20:17
All credit to Jet2 for their recoveries. G-LSAD seems to have had an issue in Rome, LSAE already en-route to recover the service!
Any other airline I can't help but feel this would just be a delay or a cancellation!

I have a lot of respect for an airline that will throw money at a problem for the convenience and comfort of the passengers, incredibly rare these days. Most airlines would leave you sitting in the departure lounge until the AOG can get a quick fix or whack some speed tape on it. Think the Jet2 ops and crewing teams have a crystal ball or magic 8 ball or something because they seem to preempt nearly every potential problem that comes their way.

Yeehaw22
1st Oct 2019, 21:10
Most airlines would leave you sitting in the departure lounge until the AOG can get a quick fix or whack some speed tape on it. Think the Jet2 ops and crewing teams have a crystal ball or magic 8 ball or something because they seem to preempt nearly every potential problem that comes their way.

What a complete load of crap! If an aircraft is AOG then there is no quick fix or speed tape repair. If there was then it wouldn't be Aog would it!

It's not rocket science. They have lots of standby aircraft and crew. No crystal ball.

Flying Wild
2nd Oct 2019, 10:56
You do realise that this is purely to try and avoid EU261 payouts? It's not just for the benefit of the customer...

USERNAME_
2nd Oct 2019, 11:02
You do realise that this is purely to try and avoid EU261 payouts? It's not just for the benefit of the customer...

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldnt launching an empty 757 complete with full crew to and from Rome cost more than EU compo?

4Screwaircrew
2nd Oct 2019, 11:34
We were told that a full 757 running late enough to pay EU261 on a long sector such as TFS would generate a compensation bill of about €185000 so it’s almost certainly cheaper to rescue than to compensate.

Plane.Silly
2nd Oct 2019, 12:32
We were told that a full 757 running late enough to pay EU261 on a long sector such as TFS would generate a compensation bill of about €185000 so it’s almost certainly cheaper to rescue than to compensate.

Ouch, that sounds pretty bad, but what if the rescue flight doesn't operate in time. THen you have the cost of an extra 757 flying two positioning sectors, and still having to pay the comp bill. On that basis, unless you know beyond reasonable doubt that you can recover in time, then you don't rush into it.

LBAflyer22
2nd Oct 2019, 12:35
There is points in Europe you'll be able to save 3 hours, other points where this is not possible. However from a Customer point of view - if you actively see/hear a rescue plane is coming you are a little more relieved then the good ol' "well we shall tell you in 2 hours" 2 hours time "wait another 2 hours".

Yeehaw22
2nd Oct 2019, 12:44
It's a definite balancing act. Send the spare aircraft to recover one set of pax, or use the spare to recover the aog's next rotation I.e save 2 sets of eu261 payments.

Jet2 are far better at most at recovery there's no doubt but yes its primarily for cost saving but with the secondary effect of keeping the punters happy. They also have a large number of older fully owned aircraft that they can afford to have sat around on standby. It will be interesting to see if they have the same approach when they have a larger percentage of newer more expensive aircraft.

Plane.Silly
2nd Oct 2019, 13:29
It will be interesting to see if they have the same approach when they have a larger percentage of newer more expensive aircraft.

Do you know something we don't Mr YeeHaw?
A new aircraft order perhaps?

Matty Rich 83
2nd Oct 2019, 16:41
Do you know something we don't Mr YeeHaw?
A new aircraft order perhaps?

I don't think it's a secret that dart group are talking to both airbus and Boeing at the moment...

castleford tiger
2nd Oct 2019, 17:22
I don't think it's a secret that dart group are talking to both airbus and Boeing at the moment...

Correct and have been for a good while. My money is on Airbus 320/321er

2Para
2nd Oct 2019, 17:28
It's a definite balancing act. Send the spare aircraft to recover one set of pax, or use the spare to recover the aog's next rotation I.e save 2 sets of eu261 payments.

Jet2 are far better at most at recovery there's no doubt but yes its primarily for cost saving but with the secondary effect of keeping the punters happy. They also have a large number of older fully owned aircraft that they can afford to have sat around on standby. It will be interesting to see if they have the same approach when they have a larger percentage of newer more expensive aircraft.
doing the leg in reverse can also help

irishlad06
2nd Oct 2019, 20:00
doing the leg in reverse can also help
they could only ever attempt to do legs in reverse from ALC or PMI as these are the only two aircraft/crew bases outside the UK.

daz211
2nd Oct 2019, 20:08
Correct and have been for a good while. My money is on Airbus 320/321er
All depends on the MAX issues and what comes of that Airframe.
The 321’s have been very successful and useful over the past few years.
Don’t be surprised if you see a few more A330s over summer 2020.
Also talks / enquires still on going to see if longhaul leisure is a pie worth baking.

pamann
2nd Oct 2019, 20:32
All depends on the MAX issues and what comes of that Airframe.
The 321’s have been very successful and useful over the past few years.
Don’t be surprised if you see a few more A330s over summer 2020.
Also talks / enquires still on going to see if longhaul leisure is a pie worth baking.

Are we likely to see the A330 at STN in the near future? Surely must be on the cards?

daz211
2nd Oct 2019, 20:54
Nothing confirmed, To be honest, The need is there for TFS, ACE and PMI and a few Greek Destinations but Manchester is. Priority as you can imagine, Stansted is performing far better than expected but in the short term priorities have obviously got to be on Manchester but don’t rule anything out, things will be much clearer end of October/ November.

Johnny F@rt Pants
3rd Oct 2019, 12:40
they could only ever attempt to do legs in reverse from ALC or PMI as these are the only two aircraft/crew bases outside the UK.

No true, it is not uncommon for the ALC standby aeroplane to position hither and thither to operate an inbound sector.

LBIA
3rd Oct 2019, 14:45
Jet2 are to launch flights to Montenegro next summer. Flights between Manchester - Tivat, & London Stansted - Tivat will both operate 2x weekly (Thu & Sun) from May 2020

LiamNCL
3rd Oct 2019, 22:17
Jet2 trying in vain to get into CFU tonight , Diverts to Athens then back in hold above CFU and now diverting back to Athens , Conditions look atrocious mind.

milhouse999
4th Oct 2019, 07:39
Jet2 trying in vain to get into CFU tonight , Diverts to Athens then back in hold above CFU and now diverting back to Athens , Conditions look atrocious mind.

Been watching this with interest, seems 2x A/C still stuck at Athens, the flight status for LS1489 which should have landed at CFU last night, now won't land in CFU until tonight at 2022hrs, not sure why they are leaving it so late to get it back to CFU? The AC and passengers are in Athens together.

Three Jet 2 diverted aircraft set off from Athens at the same time to get to CFU, one landed (Edinburgh) whereas Manchester (LS951) and Stanstead (LS1489) held not even attempting to approach the island and returned to Athens.

ROC10
4th Oct 2019, 14:49
Been watching this with interest, seems 2x A/C still stuck at Athens, the flight status for LS1489 which should have landed at CFU last night, now won't land in CFU until tonight at 2022hrs, not sure why they are leaving it so late to get it back to CFU? The AC and passengers are in Athens together.

Three Jet 2 diverted aircraft set off from Athens at the same time to get to CFU, one landed (Edinburgh) whereas Manchester (LS951) and Stanstead (LS1489) held not even attempting to approach the island and returned to Athens.

Crew hours perhaps?

Strange as several other flights seemed to land successfully last night.

milhouse999
4th Oct 2019, 16:25
Crew hours perhaps?

Ah yes, good point! There were 2 Jet2's and 1 Ryanair that failed to ever make it to CFU, everything else ended up landing either post divert or holding for some time.

Brigantee
4th Oct 2019, 19:11
Three tankers based at MAN next summer i hear ..

irishlad06
4th Oct 2019, 19:36
Three tankers based at MAN next summer i hear ..

confirmed according to schedules.
GVYGL/M/K

castleford tiger
5th Oct 2019, 08:20
Heard we have or are taking some tcg planes.

Anyone care to speculate Fleet size by peak season. We were 100 this year but I cannot keep up with what's coming and going. Help !

LiamNCL
5th Oct 2019, 10:08
Jet2 could expand as much as they care to from now providing they are willing to take on a new type (airbus) as i cant see them gaining many 2nd hand 738s right now. They could aswell go down the road of bringing in Smartlynx who they already work with and Avion but it all comes down to how much they are willing to pick up.

sixchannel
5th Oct 2019, 10:20
Wonder if CELE and CELY will get a reprieve as well as the older 757s?
Jet2 do have quite a bit of arms length A321 experience via Smartlynx and I'm sure the ex-TCX aircraft will be easily available to lease AND lots of available Crew.

alland2012
7th Oct 2019, 13:13
Anyone know if there is any truth in the rumour that Jet2 are adding the Greek Island of Skiathos to their destinations next summer ?

In conversation at the weekend with a hotelier buddy on Skiathos tells me one of his fellow hoteliers is telling people he's signed a contract with Jet 2 holidays for 2020

There is definitely a gap in the market to fill following TC's collapse, they sold lots of package holiday's and flight only to Skiathos.

sixchannel
7th Oct 2019, 13:47
Anyone know if there is any truth in the rumour that Jet2 are adding the Greek Island of Skiathos to their destinations next summer ?

In conversation at the weekend with a hotelier buddy on Skiathos tells me one of his fellow hoteliers is telling people he's signed a contract with Jet 2 holidays for 2020

There is definitely a gap in the market to fill following TC's collapse, they sold lots of package holiday's and flight only to Skiathos.
To me that would fit in nicely if they were using 'seasoned' Aircrews and A321s, whatever the source.
Its an 'interesting' landing so I'll bet Jet2 will think, or have thought long and hard about it.

LiamNCL
7th Oct 2019, 15:24
Cant help think this is a good oppertunity for Jet2 to enter the Hurghada market aswell. Big gap left from Thomas Cook & i know Jet2 have stayed away from the Africa market since the SSH launch years ago but there is a market and certainly hotels looking for a new partner.

sixchannel
7th Oct 2019, 15:58
For my family, Tunisia and Egypt will have to be a lot more stable and safer for the leisure traveller before we even contemplated those destinations.

HH6702
7th Oct 2019, 15:58
We will know more by the end of the year
I’m guessing that we shall see some new destinations where TCX used to fly and maybe even a new UK Departure point

there will be a lot of work going on at the minute but it will all depend on slots and aircraft available and hotels etc

sixchannel
7th Oct 2019, 16:01
'new UK departure point' - oh, don't get them started!:=

LiamNCL
7th Oct 2019, 16:06
For my family, Tunisia and Egypt will have to be a lot more stable and safer for the leisure traveller before we even contemplated those destinations.

Its not everyones cup of tea , but people still wish to go and if its good enough for TUI to take their customers there then i cant see any reason why Jet2 cant offer it now that TCX has folded , Some of my best Holidays have been in Egypt with Thomas Cook but i agree lets wait and see what happens.

castleford tiger
7th Oct 2019, 16:22
5 planes ex tcg sorted inc crew. Airbus.
Anyone confirm?

DjerbaDevil
7th Oct 2019, 16:40
5 planes ex tcg sorted inc crew. Airbus.
Anyone confirm?
The rumour is about, heard it a couple of days ago, but can't confirm it's actually happening.
If the Airbus fleet expansion and aircrew does come about, many of the projects and expansion mentioned in previous posts would come true. The business opportunities are too good to miss.

LiamNCL
7th Oct 2019, 17:09
They would be mad not to surely ? The crew are available , The aircraft are available , The hotels are available and the all important passengers are available. If anyone can do it then its Jet2 and i hope they do! Bringing in Airbus A321 aircraft will add even more diversity to the fleet alongside the bigger A330.

VickersVicount
7th Oct 2019, 17:37
Bringing in Airbus A321 aircraft will add even more diversity to the fleet alongside the bigger A330.
Which sometimes is not always a great thing... Airtours used to have every plane under the sun and look what happened to them...
Stick to 738's.

2Para
7th Oct 2019, 18:24
The rumour is about, heard it a couple of days ago, but can't confirm it's actually happening.
If the Airbus fleet expansion and aircrew does come about, many of the projects and expansion mentioned in previous posts would come true. The business opportunities are too good to miss.
tcx aircraft are currently at the lease company so they could be going anywer, i have heard the usa mentioned.

DjerbaDevil
7th Oct 2019, 18:47
Which sometimes is not always a great thing... Airtours used to have every plane under the sun and look what happened to them...
Stick to 738's.
Agreed. But the B733s and the B757s are on the way out (eventually). B738s are no longer being produced and the second hand market has dried up due to the grounding of the B738MAX. In any case the recent acquisition of DRTI from Jet Airways was, according to rumour, very expensive to bring up to standard. Any second hand B738s available at the moment probably have serious defects or have had poor maintenance. So to take advantage of the present situation, there are very few options.
On the other hand the business opportunities offered by the demise of TCX won't be around for ever and in the holiday business it is now or never. Either the customer is served with what he wants now or he goes elsewhere.
As JET2 have already had a few seasons with the Airbus330, they could even contemplate taking on their own A330s. They have the golden opportunity of adding A321s with TREs and experienced crew plus maintenance staff and engineers. All available immediately to expand their coming winter and next summer programmes to meet the extra demand.
Yes, it would be better to be all Boeing but there's nothing on offer immediately from Boeing.

DjerbaDevil
7th Oct 2019, 18:55
tcx aircraft are currently at the lease company so they could be going anywer, i have heard the usa mentioned.
TCX had 27 A321s and at least 25 of those were leased. Lessors will be looking for airlines to lease them and moving 25 large aircraft to other airlines in a short space of time isn't easy. If JET2 want some of them, doubtless the lessors will be delighted to talk to JET2, who are profitable and can pay the leasing....

LiamNCL
7th Oct 2019, 19:00
Stick to 738's.

I would normally agree about sticking with the one type but the problem as we all know is that the 2nd hand 737 market has gone. The time has never and will never be better for Jet2 to make that next step if they wish to be up there with TUI & With the 757 and 733 end on the horizon i believe a well run airline like Jet2 could operate a fleet of 738 and A321 much better than Airtours. We are talking about a massive potential passenger increase, provide it and they will come. Its also worth mentioning that due to the exact MAX problem its very unlikely TUI theirself will be able to do anything if at all to expand, The oppertunity will never be greater.

JonnyH
7th Oct 2019, 19:26
I think there is some far fetched theories going on in this thread. The only A321s Jet2 will be getting are the likes of Smartlynx and Titan - I very much doubt they’ll take any of the TCX fleet unless they happen to be leasing from an airline that have taken on some of the old fleet.

i think they will stay cautious. It’s a very difficult time for the economy and don’t they know it - Brexit, weak pound, high fuel prices. Jet2 are very good at what they do, there’s absolutely no denying that, but they’ll have everything in mind and I highly doubt they’ll take any risks or make any rash decisions. If the MAX was to come back into service it may increase the availability and reduce the cost of leased aircrafts, which would help, but that is a massive IF.

i think the likes of NCL, GLA, BHX and STN can probably only realistically hope for 2 at most additionally based aircraft, on some days, and then MAN will probably get the additional A330 from Tanker and some of other leased aircraft.

I think people hoping Jet2 taking on numerous additional aircraft on will probably be disappointed come next summer unless something massively changes. After all, less demand is going to lead to higher prices with higher loads, why would they take unnecessary risks?

Matty Rich 83
7th Oct 2019, 19:26
Go for it Jet2.com! You can do it!
Flights equally split between T1 & T2 at MAN if it happens...

eggc
7th Oct 2019, 20:18
Envlop 330 arrived at MAN not long ago under a EXS flight number from MAD. How long have LS got it and where will it be used ?

garry8g
7th Oct 2019, 21:01
Envlop 330 arrived at MAN not long ago under a EXS flight number from MAD. How long have LS got it and where will it be used ?

Until 2nd November 2019.

daz211
7th Oct 2019, 22:19
Lots of hard work and negotiations going on as we speak.
As far as I know and I would know, No new base for 2020, Obviously MAN is our main priority right now.
Tunisia is not happening nor is Egypt, far to unstable for our operations right now.
As for any kind of ex Thomas Cook Aircraft / Crew I’m not in a position to comment, as you can imagine this is very commercially sensitive information.
All I can say is there will be extra flights from existing based, and work continues to launch more routes for summer 2020.

LiamNCL
7th Oct 2019, 22:52
As far as I know and I would know, No new base for 2020, Obviously MAN is our main priority right now.
Tunisia is not happening nor is Egypt, far to unstable for our operations right now.
As for any kind of ex Thomas Cook Aircraft / Crew I’m not in a position to comment, as you can imagine this is very commercially sensitive information.
All I can say is there will be extra flights from existing based, and work continues to launch more routes for summer 2020.

Thanks for the info looking forward to some news in the near future regarding extra capacity / routes from existing bases.

GAZMO
8th Oct 2019, 06:10
Is BFS likely to get anymore flights. Posters tend to naturally mention the larger bases LBA MAN STN BHX

Mr A Tis
8th Oct 2019, 07:53
I think people are getting far too excited. There was over capacity, too many holidays on very thin weak margins, at a time of reduced demand - Brexit, weakening pound etc. Why would anyone take risks ? Far better to increase yields and consolidate. Jet2 are the best at what they do, there is no need for them to do anything other than continue their modest growth. Replacing older frames when the opportunity arises, leasing in peak time capacity without the risks. I expect anything not Boeing will be leased in. When the MAX gets back into service, there will be a glut of used 738s on the market- I think J2 will just wait.

ATNotts
8th Oct 2019, 08:04
I think people are getting far too excited. There was over capacity, too many holidays on very thin weak margins, at a time of reduced demand - Brexit, weakening pound etc. Why would anyone take risks ? Far better to increase yields and consolidate. Jet2 are the best at what they do, there is no need for them to do anything other than continue their modest growth. Replacing older frames when the opportunity arises, leasing in peak time capacity without the risks. I expect anything not Boeing will be leased in. When the MAX gets back into service, there will be a glut of used 738s on the market- I think J2 will just wait.

That makes far more economic sense to me. Tighten up the market, raise prices and repair the roof while the sun is shining.

sixchannel
8th Oct 2019, 08:14
That makes far more economic sense to me. Tighten up the market, raise prices and repair the roof while the sun is shining.
Hopefully any price hike would be sufficient to cover loss of Revenue from the percentage of Customers it put outside of their Affordability window.
Maybe even -
14 days (now a bit less common I think) down to 11?
11 days down to 10 or even 7.
7 days down to ' Ah well, it was nice whilst we could afford it'.
​​​​​​

ATNotts
8th Oct 2019, 08:26
Hopefully any price hike would be sufficient to cover loss of Revenue from the percentage of Customers it put outside of their Affordability window.
Maybe even -
14 days (now a bit less common I think) down to 11?
11 days down to 10 or even 7.
7 days down to ' Ah well, it was nice whilst we could afford it'.
​​​​​​

This article, relating to the collapse of Thomas Cook perhaps suggests that foreign holidays are too affordable at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49961188

castleford tiger
8th Oct 2019, 08:28

Daz
Thanks for this. I understand the TCG 5 ex lease or not is pretty much confirmed.
As for other points of discussion DART may kick the can down the road re new orders and have two years paying down debt. Not a bad idea if we can stretch the fleet out with a mixture of purchases and leases .

Last couple of days we seem to have been using 50 aircraft is there an easy way to see how many flights we are doing each day?

sixchannel
8th Oct 2019, 08:49
This article, relating to the collapse of Thomas Cook perhaps suggests that foreign holidays are too affordable at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49961188
This 'single parent' with "no money' took a holiday in excess of 2 weeks in Tunisia otherwise she would have been repatriated.
Where was the 'child' all this time? Where did the money come from to pay for her Accomodation (it can't have been a TC holiday) and flights in the first place?
Now she's crying to the so-called'News’
Sympathy have I none.

inOban
8th Oct 2019, 10:13
Living life as a single parent on Universal Credit must involve a level of stress which I have never had to endure. Perhaps her parents offered to look after the child for a couple of weeks to give her a break? We don't know the whole story. However someone should have told to come back early on a repatriation flight.

Flying Wild
8th Oct 2019, 10:58
During half term there are 14 aircraft based at BHX - more than the summer peak!

ATNotts
8th Oct 2019, 11:38
Living life as a single parent on Universal Credit must involve a level of stress which I have never had to endure. Perhaps her parents offered to look after the child for a couple of weeks to give her a break? We don't know the whole story. However someone should have told to come back early on a repatriation flight.

My point was that financial advisors always say that you should try and have a buffer of 3 months cash in hand in case of unforeseen emergencies, redundancy etc. Spending that buffer, or whatever buffer you have, on something as frivolous as a holiday abroad is profligate to say the least.

By the way I say that as a parent of offspring who did exactly that!

116d
8th Oct 2019, 11:39

You're not wrong. However, to not replace some (that's the keyword here, not all) of the capacity that has been lost would be a potential opportunity missed and I don't think anybody was calling for Jet2 to precisely match lost capacity. How that's achieved is open for debate.

The remaining competitors also need to be careful not to hike up prices too much as that's got the potential to significantly weaken demand. It's about getting the balance right between profitability, meeting demand and anticipating potential economic headwinds that could affect either/both of these. The strength of GBP is another factor.

As for the MAX, even if a fix was found tomorrow the regulators worldwide will take their time before approving them safe to fly and that will affect which airlines can fly them again and where they can fly them to. It would take several weeks/months for all of them to fly again, especially the ones stored since March that would probably need more than the mods to make them airworthy again, especially the longer they're stored. I imagine there will be some training/re-training required given the length of time that's passed. It must be getting to the point now for MAX operators where for 2020 they have to make a call whether to build them into their fleet plans or not.

SealinkBF
8th Oct 2019, 12:15

Indeed. Although I was aghast to learn that she had no travel insurance.

sixchannel
8th Oct 2019, 18:37
Flew Serviceability flight today - EMA - MAN via Ireland and west.
Presume in its full Jet2 silver/red glory.
Looks like it included some low speed handling tests.
First Revenue flight soon??

LiamNCL
8th Oct 2019, 18:41
Flew Serviceability flight today - EMA - MAN via Ireland and west.
Presume in its full Jet2 silver/red glory.
it is , Jet2Izmir on the nose.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1426x857/smartselect_20191008_163453_instagram_3ae7c72cbf14cfb5946a9e a9d9a6e16a151b7571.jpg

sixchannel
8th Oct 2019, 18:46
it is , Jet2Izmir on the nose.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1426x857/smartselect_20191008_163453_instagram_3ae7c72cbf14cfb5946a9e a9d9a6e16a151b7571.jpg
Compare that to post 1542.!
Amazing what a couple of cans of Holts Duplicolour can do. :O

LiamNCL
8th Oct 2019, 19:28
Compare that to post 1542.!
Amazing what a couple of cans of Holts Duplicolour can do. :O

Rags to Riches :E

BFS BHD
8th Oct 2019, 19:41
Noticed this on Airborne Colours Ltd FB page;

The first of several planned Jet2.com (http://jet2.com/?fbclid=IwAR3qa4LD-4SWTDj1QiCVPzXB2IYMrAKmKGApHbAvvIGBWq6E1r9OZ-vO4sk) aircraft departing our East Midlands Airport paint facility yesterday following a full repaint into this striking well recognised red and silver livery.

Wonder when the next one is due? Is it current aircraft in the fleet getting repainted or new one?

sixchannel
8th Oct 2019, 19:56

Wonder when the next one is due? Is it current aircraft in the fleet getting repainted or new one?
Now THAT is a very interesting question.

LiamNCL
8th Oct 2019, 20:05

I noticed this aswell.

Flying Wild
8th Oct 2019, 20:36

Perhaps as soon as the end of the week.

sixchannel
8th Oct 2019, 21:00
Perhaps as soon as the end of the week.
I wonder if its first Pax will wonder if all Jet2 planes smell of fresh paint?

castleford tiger
9th Oct 2019, 07:08

Life is full of choices and some are drawn to keep making bad ones. We all have family/relatives some who fall into this trap.

The best we had was whilst filming with a BBC crew at a food bank (to which we were regular suppliers of fresh produce) I got into conversation with two very attractive ladies late 20`s early 30`s and enquired why they needed the support of the food bank.
No chance of work as the kids were at school only 6 hours and of course holidays were a problem.
I asked if they would be interested in "term time only work and 9 till 3"
Both dived into their bags for the phones to take my number..............unbelievably both had top of the range mobiles/tablets in which they recorded my number. Neither got in touch but we did, and still do employ 2 young mums on a term time only contract.
I live in an area not associated with its wealth, and many food banks do a roaring trade. However its rare to see a house without Sky/cable tv.
I am afraid a great number of people have the wrong priorities.

Mr Good Cat
9th Oct 2019, 07:42
Life is full of choices and some are drawn to keep making bad ones. We all have family/relatives some who fall into this trap.

The best we had was whilst filming with a BBC crew at a food bank (to which we were regular suppliers of fresh produce) I got into conversation with two very attractive ladies late 20`s early 30`s and enquired why they needed the support of the food bank.
No chance of work as the kids were at school only 6 hours and of course holidays were a problem.
I asked if they would be interested in "term time only work and 9 till 3"
Both dived into their bags for the phones to take my number..............unbelievably both had top of the range mobiles/tablets in which they recorded my number. Neither got in touch but we did, and still do employ 2 young mums on a term time only contract.
I live in an area not associated with its wealth, and many food banks do a roaring trade. However its rare to see a house without Sky/cable tv.
I am afraid a great number of people have the wrong priorities.

Cas Tiger, do Jet2 offer term-time 9-3 employment? What sort of roles - passenger service?

nowhereasfiled
9th Oct 2019, 10:17
Pretty boring question, but anybody know why GDFF isn’t fully painted, looks like it’s been around for a while so can’t really see any explanation as to why it isn’t?
Another question, why is Jet2 the only airline I’ve seen with those red and white airbridge position markings by door 1L?

EDIT: It’s painted, but the tail has no “sun” on it.

ROC10
9th Oct 2019, 10:20
Pretty boring question, but anybody know why GDFF isn’t fully painted, looks like it’s been around for a while so can’t really see any explanation as to why it isn’t?
Another question, why is Jet2 the only airline I’ve seen with those red and white airbridge position markings by door 1L?

EDIT: It’s painted, but the tail has no “sun” on it.

Strange... according to photos it did have the sun back in 2017. Surprised they haven't gotten round to painting it back on.

sixchannel
9th Oct 2019, 10:35
Strange... according to photos it did have the sun back in 2017. Surprised they haven't gotten round to painting it back on.
Maybe deciding 'which' Sunrise' to put on?

garry8g
9th Oct 2019, 10:38
This could be significant for Jet2, as they sell JET2 holidays in their Hays Travel stores:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49985369

renort
9th Oct 2019, 12:10

they got sick of ground incidents so decided to go over the top with markings, visually not appealing but if it stops an expensive incident then who cares.

Flying Wild
9th Oct 2019, 21:51
I believe it originally had the “wrong” sun on it.

Fly757X
9th Oct 2019, 22:15

I heard it went for work on the Rudder and it just hasn’t been reapplied as of yet.

LiamNCL
9th Oct 2019, 22:42

Think you are refering to GDFD that had a a flat yellow sun ? Was replaced in the summer.

ROC10
9th Oct 2019, 23:30
Think you are refering to GDFD that had a a flat yellow sun ? Was replaced in the summer.

I do find it surprising that they ‘fixed’ the sun on GDFD but leave GDFF with no sun for around two years. It doesn’t appear to have winglets either and is 19 years old – maybe plans for withdrawal on the horizon?

azz767
10th Oct 2019, 15:17
I have seen a lot of people recently speculate about whether Jet2 will move into the long haul market and had saw some points mentioned but I also thought of another which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere and I wondered what peoples views on it are.

This issue being going long haul at the moment with an all economy fleet. TUI and TCX (for which long haul was profitable) both have/had decent sized premium cabins on their long haul fleet this summer and the A330's Jet 2 operate are all economy at present (and correct me if im wrong but I believe they have to stay this way in case they are needed urgently for military use). Even the Norwegians of this world offer some sort of premium product which I think is a lot more essential on long haul routes.

TCX had this issue themselves when they had two Air Tanker frames doing routes like JFK, BOS and SEA and the lack of any sort of premium offering will have cost them going up against the likes of VS and the American trio. Looking at Florida and the Caribbean and even Vegas which is likely where Jet2 would start wouldn't this also be the case.

A move into long haul for Jet2 is a lot more than just 'they now have the aircraft to do it' and 'there is an opportunity left after TCX went', lets not forget Jet2 is actually a scheduled airline first and has the holidays division buy seats on flights, so they need to have a product that if they went long haul would entice flight only customers to them not just the holidays people.

sixchannel
10th Oct 2019, 16:15
Up to 2017 we flew both Virgin and TCX Manchester to Florida (Orlando & Sanford).
Always turned right at the door. Never had a problem.
Never even considered going Premium or Premium Economy.
Surely those who feel the need to be cosseted at all times, should ho Virgin and pay 'silly money' for that privilege and let Jet2 (if they decide to go for it) fly contented, if a mite uncomfy after 8hrs, passengers with their customary efficiency and happy smiles.
FWIW - It was our dreadful experience on our last MAN-MCO Virgin flight that made us give up the Long Hauls. We now settle for Half Long Haul now - 4hrs to the Canaries twice a year. :)

DjerbaDevil
10th Oct 2019, 17:51
TUI have been quick to add capacity and probably with ex-TCX A321s. But doubtless JET2 are not far behind in adding capacity with TCX pilots and aircraft as well.
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...-million-seats

Considering the opportunity offered, JET2 only need to open bases at BRS and LGW for nationwide cover.

HH6702
10th Oct 2019, 18:15
And with Hays travel getting all of cooks travel shops they ow have an agent uk wide pushing Jet2 holidays

pamann
10th Oct 2019, 21:37
Considering the opportunity offered, JET2 only need to open bases at BRS and LGW for nationwide cover.

As far as I’m aware, Jet2 won’t be opening a LGW base and it’s not on their agenda either. Having walked past the Thomas Cook shop in Croydon today, there are holidays in the window there that were departing Stansted with TC. Croydon is only 15 minutes by train from Gatwick. People will drive that bit further if it saves them a few £ on their annual two week family holiday to Greece/Spain/Turkey. Even more so now that there’s a lot less choice.

IMHO Bristol/Cardiff or Bournemouth would be the next obvious opportunity. Jet2 has the SE covered already. If you want to go from Gatwick on your annual package holiday, pay a few hundred £ more and book with TUI.

castleford tiger
11th Oct 2019, 06:49
Cas Tiger, do Jet2 offer term-time 9-3 employment? What sort of roles - passenger service?

do not know the answer but I guess part time roles will be there.
Tends to be a morning rush 4/9 and then again as the planes return and reload in the afternoons with fewer staff to meet the late flights home. I GUESS>

rog747
11th Oct 2019, 06:49
Bournemouth is Jet2's spiritual home (Channel Express) but Jet2 say they have no plans to have a base there yet.

TCK /MT had based a/c at both EXT and BRS, but it seems Jet2 again have no wish to take on TUI and FR (plus EZY at BRS) head to head at any of these 3 locations. (and CWL?)

STN was a perhaps big gamble that has paid off well in the South for Jet2, and no doubt they will take up the slack from the lost TCK/MT ''bread and butter'' ops from there -

But Jet2 (very wisely) have NO wish to enter back into Egypt nor Tunisia as security events make the operations too unstable -

God forbid we add Turkey in the mix if the current hostilities escalate, and spill over into the Eastern MED region and that will again seriously hurt the industry.

As for long haul - Jet2 could take up the Cruise ship charter work which TCK had (to the Caribbean etc) they have the 330's for that.
Jet2 have also some ££ advantage in not buying the 737MAX - had they done so then they would have been seriously hurt with paying for ACMI work and cancelled flights. However, used 737NG are simply not now available for more Boeing expansion.

castleford tiger
11th Oct 2019, 07:01
Profit upgrade this morning.........
If I were to break into the "over the pond" market it would be our quiet time ,from early November to Easter and cover mainly Mexico and the carabean.

Clearly need the right aircraft.
That said the cost of setting operations up would not add to the bottom line.

LiamNCL
11th Oct 2019, 07:47
TCX didnt have a based Aircraft at EXT

chaps1954
11th Oct 2019, 08:03
I really can`t see Jet2 doing Caribbean or Mexico in near future, the A330s are very busy in summer and looks like this winter too on European IT and a few JFK
over Nov/Dec and I believe they may be getting the 3rd Tanker one also

garry8g
11th Oct 2019, 08:55
I really can`t see Jet2 doing Caribbean or Mexico in near future, the A330s are very busy in summer and looks like this winter too on European IT and a few JFK

Unless they lease (or buy) a few more A330s....there are a few lying around at the moment. And available personnel to crew them.

Plane.Silly
11th Oct 2019, 09:43

Jet2 fly to EWR, not JFK, but we get the idea :)

DjerbaDevil
11th Oct 2019, 10:19
Profit upgrade this morning.........
If I were to break into the "over the pond" market it would be our quiet time ,from early November to Easter and cover mainly Mexico and the carabean.

Clearly need the right aircraft.
That said the cost of setting operations up would not add to the bottom line.

Agreed, long haul is expensive to set up and to maintain a good level of service. The ideal situation is to increase the short haul business with extra aircraft from the TCX fleet, say something between 10 and 20 Airbus 321s with ex-TCX pilots and engineers. Also it is screaming out they should take the opportunity of expansion of bases at LGW and BRS. STN has been a great success and further expansion there has been, almost certainly, due to a lack of aircraft. With the extra aircraft from TCX, JET2 would also make a success of LGW. No bets but will hold my breath for an announcement next week.

rog747
11th Oct 2019, 10:24
I think Jet2 would do well from EXT and BRS
As for LGW they might be wise to stick to their core values for now and not sleep with that beast.

Long Haul - ? Well they have their toes in the water with EWR -
The Caribbean cruise ship flights now have to be covered - who is or will be doing them?

sixchannel
11th Oct 2019, 10:25
Unless they lease (or buy) a few more A330s....there are a few lying around at the moment. And available personnel to crew them.
Inc that 19yo TCX A330 at MAN, allegedly about to be broken up unless someone pays the cost of its uncompleted maintenance.?

garry8g
11th Oct 2019, 10:29
It has been reported that Titan are getting an A330-200 for summer 2020 (arriving April 2020).

I wonder if we may see that flying for Jet2 next summer?

LiamNCL
11th Oct 2019, 15:12
Cant see Jet2 entering Bristol when theres alot of TCX losses at their current bases.

rog747
11th Oct 2019, 15:13
TCX didn't have a based Aircraft at EXT

Methinks that was a long while back now - apologies, you are correct

Mr A Tis
11th Oct 2019, 15:22
B738NG cracks : https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-reports-38-cracks-on-global-737ng-fleet-461415/?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

Any impacts on the J2 fleet reported anywhere?

nowhereasfiled
11th Oct 2019, 18:28
Anybody able to enlighten me as to how true or false the galley fm rumours are that Jet2 will be using 330s (Air Tanker I guess) to operate to Cuba and/or Florida this coming summer???

Ivan aromer
12th Oct 2019, 07:47
Share price doing well; keep it up team!

SJL26779
12th Oct 2019, 08:02
If I remember correctly Air Tanker can't operate flights to Cuba. TCX were unable to use these air frames on their flights to Cuba. Something to do with the military connection I believe and radar equipment.

chaps1954
12th Oct 2019, 09:24
G-DRTI has just done a test flight from Manchester this morning

jonnyrobbo
12th Oct 2019, 23:39
G-DRTI has just done a test flight from Manchester this morning
Looks like another 2 further flights were also done.

nowhereasfiled
13th Oct 2019, 10:44
Looks like another 2 further flights were also done.

Yeah a friend of mine up there told me the first was a check flight and the last 2 were “shakedowns” at the CAAs request

CabinCrewe
13th Oct 2019, 11:14
Yeah a friend of mine up there told me the first was a check flight and the last 2 were “shakedowns” at the CAAs request

Interesting this frame was originally ordered by Delta but not taken up. Seems to have been mostly with Jet Airways for past 15 years.

sixchannel
13th Oct 2019, 16:03
Interesting this frame was originally ordered by Delta but not taken up. Seems to have been mostly with Jet Airways for past 15 years.

And probably not that well well looked after, judging by the time it took to get it straight, and the number of new exterior panels prior to paint.
The last flight looks like just a ground 'hot soak'. No FR24 actual flight recorded.

ROC10
13th Oct 2019, 23:20
And probably not that well well looked after, judging by the time it took to get it straight, and the number of new exterior panels prior to paint.
The last flight looks like just a ground 'hot soak'. No FR24 actual flight recorded.

FR24 flights recorded for all three flights on the 12th, all heading north from MAN and back again, in excess of 1 hour each. As indicated above, one was a check flight, followed by two “shakedowns”.

Plane.Silly
14th Oct 2019, 06:34
Anybody able to enlighten me as to how true or false the galley fm rumours are that Jet2 will be using 330s (Air Tanker I guess) to operate to Cuba and/or Florida this coming summer???

100% FALSE.
Jet2 have stated there is no intention of starting long haul, due to the complexity and cost of doing so

If I remember correctly Air Tanker can't operate flights to Cuba. TCX were unable to use these air frames on their flights to Cuba. Something to do with the military connection I believe and radar equipment.

This is the exact same reason why they can't fly into Cyprus on the A330

CEJM
14th Oct 2019, 07:05
And probably not that well well looked after, judging by the time it took to get it straight, and the number of new exterior panels prior to paint..

It doesn’t necessarily mean that the aircraft hasn’t been looked after properly. If not all the paperwork comes with the aircraft then some repairs will have to be redone. Looking at the patchwork on the fuselage of this aircraft then it looks like every skin repair has been redone.

I know of a few cases in the UK were the paperwork regarding skin repairs was incorrect/missing and the leasing company required every skin repair to be redone. Redoing the work is the only way they can assure that is done in accordance with the Structural Repair Manual.

Mr @ Spotty M
14th Oct 2019, 08:44
Good point CEJM, end of lease requirements are very complex and expensive, especially if you have failed operators in the mix.

pholling
14th Oct 2019, 14:16

There were a fair number of 737-800s ordered by Delta that were sold on before delivery. DL got a spanking deal in the 1990s, but could not afford delivery/did not need them in the early mid 2000s.

jonnyrobbo
15th Oct 2019, 13:43
Looks like G-DRTI had her first revenue flight today, flying MAN - ALC. Currently on her way back!

Facts R Us
15th Oct 2019, 18:46
I wonder what Reg sequence the A321’s will use when they enter service in Summer 2020?

sixchannel
15th Oct 2019, 19:51
I wonder what Reg sequence the A321’s will use when they enter service in Summer 2020?
What A321's?
If they're Renters eg Smartwings YL-LCV , they'd surely retain Owners Reg.
But why do you believe Jet2 are in the market for any?

2Para
15th Oct 2019, 20:04
Ladies and gents, got a LS flight at the weekend, they have a real weapon of a planned flight, it will take some operator to match them at the minute. For a LC operation its well oiled and really good at the minute.

LBAflyer22
15th Oct 2019, 20:14

Pardon? I take it by this your implying A321s are going to Jet2.

flybar
15th Oct 2019, 20:47
Pardon? I take it by this your implying A321s are going to Jet2.
They are certainly going to struggle to find some more second hand 737-800's given the current 787 problems

LBAflyer22
15th Oct 2019, 20:52
They are certainly going to struggle to find some more second hand 737-800's given the current 787 problems

I'm just saying have you got any evidence to back up your statement. And 737-800's assisting with the 787 engine problems ;)

flybar
15th Oct 2019, 21:07
I'm just saying have you got any evidence to back up your statement. And 737-800's assisting with the 787 engine problems ;)
It is not my statement regarding the A321 deliveries.
But it is evident that airlines who were going to release 737-800's once they got 787's are not in a position to do so it is feasible that jet2 are looking at Airbus products

Yeehaw22
15th Oct 2019, 21:21
Also heard through the leasing grapevine at least 5 ex tcx 321's have been taken up by J2.

nowhereasfiled
15th Oct 2019, 22:14
Apparently Jet2 are operating a handful of flights to Barbados this winter using AirTanker on behalf of P&O cruises

USERNAME_
15th Oct 2019, 22:19
Apparently Jet2 are operating a handful of flights to Barbados this winter using AirTanker on behalf of P&O cruises

A nice break for the Jet2 crew who’ve had to put up with Antalya and Dalaman all summer

irishlad06
16th Oct 2019, 00:14
Also heard through the leasing grapevine at least 5 ex tcx 321's have been taken up by J2.

true - to be announced today. Owned by Jet2 - based at MAN. 4 is what I have heard.

azz767
16th Oct 2019, 08:46
true - to be announced today. Owned by Jet2 - based at MAN. 4 is what I have heard.

You would assume then that these would be 4 of the ones owned outright by TCX, as AFAIK the majority of the A321 fleet was leased from various lessors.

LBIA
16th Oct 2019, 13:55
Not an Airbus A321 aircraft announcement, But Jet2 have just put on sale another new Greek destination of Skiathos for summer 2020 along more flights added from Leeds/Bradford.

Flights to Skiathos start in May and will operate as follows
Birmingham = 1x weekly (Wed)
Manchester = 2x weekly (Wed & Sun)
London Stansted = 2x weekly (Wed & Sat)

Extra flights from Leeds/Bradford for summer 2020
Mahon = Increased 5x to 6x weekly
Arrecife = Increased 6x to 7x weekly
Las Palmas = Increased 4x to 5x weekly
Fuerteventura = Increased 3x to 4x weekly
Tenerife = Increased 8x to 9x weekly
Dalaman = Increased 6x to 7x weekly
Antalya = Increased 7x to 8x Weekly

GAZMO
16th Oct 2019, 14:32
Great news. Does anyone know if BFS will get any extra flights in summer 2020?

nwoody2001
16th Oct 2019, 15:03
Similarly major new growth announced at BHX with 2x new routes and 17x new weekly flights (an additional based aircraft???). This is in addition to the previously announced Summer'20 schedule.

New Routes
BCN: 2x weekly
JSI: 1x weekly

Route Increases
AYT: 8 x weekly (+2 x weekly added)
DLM: 8 x weekly (+2 x weekly added)
FUE: 4 x weekly (+1 x weekly added)
LPA: 5 x weekly (+1 x weekly added)
KGS: 3 x weekly (+1 x weekly added)
ACE: 8 x weekly (+1 x weekly added)
LCA: 5 x weekly (+1 x weekly added)
MLA: 2 x weekly (+1 x weekly added)
MAH: 5 x weekly (+1 x weekly added)
TFS: 12 x weekly (+2 x weekly added)
ZTH: 4 x weekly (+1 x weekly added)

In total, Summer'20 currently consists of 47 routes, 192 x weekly flights and nearly 72,600 weekly seats. This is an increase of 26 x weekly flights and nearly 10,000 weekly seats (+15.6%) on Summer'19. These extra 10,000 seats will be welcome to help plug the 26,000 seat gap lost by TCX however....

EZYMAN
16th Oct 2019, 15:30

TUI have secured the P&O contract apparently

LBIA
16th Oct 2019, 16:36
Another new Greek route added for summer 2020 - Mytilene/Lesvos

Flights will operate 1x weekly on Thursdays from both Manchester & London Stansted.

Flying Wild
16th Oct 2019, 17:30
Another new Greek route added for summer 20202 - Mytilene/Lesvos

Flights will operate 1x weekly on Thursdays from both Manchester & London Stansted.

Wow, now that is some advanced planning!

LBIA
16th Oct 2019, 17:47
Wow, now that is some advanced planning!

Yeap simple error thanks for highlighting it for me, its corrected now.

stonejo
16th Oct 2019, 20:59
Heard on the grape vine that 2 additional.airports not in Europe have been added recently to the pilots manuals that list airport iinfo.

LiamNCL
17th Oct 2019, 10:29
Some expansion news yesterday , is this all we can expect now or more announcements soon ?

irishlad06
17th Oct 2019, 11:22
Some expansion news yesterday , is this all we can expect now or more announcements soon ?

I expect there will be more as this has only covered MAN and BHX. I expect NCL to get some additional flying along with STN and maybe BFS and GLA. The problem is securing the aircraft I think hence they have bought some Airbus A321’s.

mmeteesside
18th Oct 2019, 08:02
Article on Travel Weekly this morning confirming four extra aircraft into Manchester and three for Birmingham.

AirportPlanner1
18th Oct 2019, 08:56
Heard on the grape vine that 2 additional.airports not in Europe have been added recently to the pilots manuals that list airport iinfo.

Agadir and Marrakech? Eilat? Aqaba? Cape Verde?

stonejo
18th Oct 2019, 09:59
Agadir and Marrakech? Eilat? Aqaba? Cape Verde?

Across the pond apparently....

Johnny F@rt Pants
18th Oct 2019, 12:49
Across the pond apparently.... this rumour is of A321’s, they aren’t going over the pond.

excrab
18th Oct 2019, 14:45
Across the pond apparently....

Alternate for BFI, for acceptance / delivery flights presumably (a bit late as they’ve all been done already)

Jaf4fa
19th Oct 2019, 06:09

Off the top of my head, Jet2 has 35+ destinations in their Part C that are not in Europe. And that is just for Cat B/C airfields that need a brief, never mind all the hundreds of Cat A airfields that don’t🤨🤨

stonejo
19th Oct 2019, 07:10
Nope.. source says they are in Florida.....

BehindBlueEyes
19th Oct 2019, 09:36
I’d heard rumours about BRS or BOH and an announcement imminently - but nothing as of yet.

rog747
19th Oct 2019, 10:21
I’d heard rumours about BRS or BOH and an announcement imminently - but nothing as of yet.

OOh well this is the Pprunemour network - Interesting though - Let's see!

BOH is Jet2's spiritual home after all.

And as for any speculation about new routes to Egypt North Africa Israel or Jordan I doubt very much Jet2 will venture into these.

ATNotts
19th Oct 2019, 11:04

I'm not sure why they'd want to. Presently there are large holes to fill at NCL, MAN, EMA and BHX. Because of the tightening of the market at those airports following the demise of Thomas Cook it's probably a better bet businesswise to plug any gaps there, and potentially gain market share from TUI, than move into new airports with the additional cost that that would involve.

Overstretching themselves could lead to disaster, it has happened all too often.

FRatSTN
19th Oct 2019, 12:01
Jet2 venturing into the South-West is surely the next obvious strategic move for them?

They've developed strong market share already elsewhere in the UK. I can't see the likes of BFS, GLA, EDI, NCL, LBA, EMA growing much more beyond current levels as a short/mid-term plan and would hardly say there's big holes to fill just because Thomas Cook may have had one or two aircraft in each. The big strategic growth will come through MAN, BHX and STN with the potential for new bases.

I personally would expect to see at least one of BRS, BOH or CWL with at least 4 aircraft in the first year or two before any of the existing smaller bases get towards 9, 10, 11 aircraft.

JonnyH
19th Oct 2019, 12:06
Jet2 venturing into the South-West is surely the next obvious strategic move for them?

They've developed strong market share already elsewhere in the UK. I can't see the likes of BFS, GLA, EDI, NCL, LBA, EMA growing much more beyond current levels as a short/mid-term plan and would hardly say there's big holes to fill just because Thomas Cook may have had one or two aircraft in each. The big strategic growth will come through MAN, BHX and STN with the potential for new bases.

I personally would expect to see at least one of BRS, BOH or CWL with at least 4 aircraft in the first year or two before any of the existing smaller bases get towards 9, 10, 11 aircraft.

Absolutely no chance of BOH or CWL getting 4 aircraft IMO and that is why they probably won’t venture into that market. I think BRS would be an option but I do still think there’s more chance of growth at existing bases with new routes.

FRatSTN
19th Oct 2019, 12:14
I certainly wouldn't rule it out. Remember 4 aircraft for Jet2 is not nearly the same as 4 Ryanair based with additional non-based flying.

TUI are already heading towards 2 and 3 aircraft at BOH and CWL respectively and it's not unlike Jet2 to dwarf their presense elsewhere.

Did anybody really expect BHX and STN to each be 14-15 based only 3 years ago?

PDXCWL45
19th Oct 2019, 12:48
I certainly wouldn't rule it out. Remember 4 aircraft for Jet2 is not nearly the same as 4 Ryanair based with additional non-based flying.

TUI are already heading towards 2 and 3 aircraft at BOH and CWL respectively and it's not unlike Jet2 to dwarf their presense elsewhere.

Did anybody really expect BHX and STN to each be 14-15 based only 3 years ago?
CWL is a 3 aircraft base during the summer already and next summer will be as well.

Sharklet_321
19th Oct 2019, 13:02
I would agree that there are hardly massive holes to fill with the demise of TCX. If anything, they may want to consolidate and lift yields at those locations. Unless slots are so scarce to warrant a land grab but I doubt it.

As for BOH, Jet2 have no presence at LGW so this could potentially pull demand away from the likes of easyJet and Norwegian. Could be quite strategic to do this especially if they did a split operation between BOH and SOU? 2 aircraft each.

SJL26779
19th Oct 2019, 13:17
Jet2 seat maps are showing the exact same seat maps as the MT flights used to. Definitely looks like LS have bought those TCX A321 Airframes

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1143x880/ls_a321_seat_map_67d28c8a7a925b30741e58686b05145e523226a8.jp g
Same 2 seat extra legroom seats as TCX used to offer. Same layout and seats configuration throughout

pamann
19th Oct 2019, 13:42
Jet2 seat maps are showing the exact same seat maps as the MT flights used to. Definitely looks like LS have bought those TCX A321 Airframes

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1143x880/ls_a321_seat_map_67d28c8a7a925b30741e58686b05145e523226a8.jp g
Same 2 seat extra legroom seats as TCX used to offer. Same layout and seats configuration throughout

What’s to say this isn’t the usual Titan A321 operating in the summer months?

SJL26779
19th Oct 2019, 14:34
as far as I am aware the Titan aircraft have a different layout. G-POWU has 38 rows with 3 seats abreast in row 38, G-POWN has 37 rows. Thomas Cook aircraft only had 2 seats in row 38 I am sure. I may be wrong but Jet2 have just upgraded these aircraft a few days ago from 738 to A321

Seems a bit of a coincidence

USERNAME_
19th Oct 2019, 14:53

Worked on many Airbus' in my time, those seats are pretty standard across most airlines.
As are the 2 seats at the back.

Garstag
19th Oct 2019, 15:11
Worked on many Airbus' in my time, those seats are pretty standard across most airlines.
As are the 2 seats at the back.

jet2 have wet leased an A321 all summer at Birmingham, probably just extending it to 2020

irishlad06
19th Oct 2019, 15:44
jet2 have wet leased an A321 all summer at Birmingham, probably just extending it to 2020
whereas the seat maps for specific MAN flights are on the A321 - these are ex TCX A321’s. confirmed.

nowhereasfiled
19th Oct 2019, 15:59
confirmed.

where?????

Garstag
19th Oct 2019, 16:13
The maps shown by SJL26779 clearly state BIRMINGHAM TO KOS

LBAflyer22
19th Oct 2019, 16:45

Looking at Titan A321 220 config and they have the same config. Maybe they are leasing A321 into BHX alongside STN from Titan Airways. I did look into SmartLynx but they have that row forward. Roaw 24 is 4 seats.

stonejo
19th Oct 2019, 16:56

GLA supposed to be getting at least one extra based aircraft next year, possibly 2.

irishlad06
19th Oct 2019, 17:35
where?????

apparently announced internally - they have bought 4 x A321’s to begin flying in March /April all to be based at MAN. Adverts for engineers should go up soon. Flight deck recruitment already started.

Council Van
19th Oct 2019, 20:03
[QUOTE=Sharklet_321;10598371]I would agree that there are hardly massive holes to fill with the demise of TCX. If anything, they may want to consolidate and lift yields at those locations. Unless slots are so scarce to warrant a land grab but I doubt it.
QUOTE]
A bed grab. In some locations there were previously not enough beds to meet demand, particularly the Balearics and Canaries.

rog747
20th Oct 2019, 06:19
A321 charter config seat maps - various capacities 210-220 seats

Don't get your knickers in a twist about this - There are a various configs that have either 3-3 all the way down through the cabin (Fly Niki had this) plus there are versions that have just 4 seats at door 3, but 6 across at door 2 and so on, and so on.

Antonio Montana
20th Oct 2019, 07:53
apparently announced internally - they have bought 4 x A321’s to begin flying in March /April all to be based at MAN. Adverts for engineers should go up soon. Flight deck recruitment already started.

If they are advertising for Flight Crew, they are doing it very very very quietly.......

irishlad06
20th Oct 2019, 07:59
If they are advertising for Flight Crew, they are doing it very very very quietly.......

many ex TCX flight deck have already had telephone interviews including TRE’s.

CabinCrewe
20th Oct 2019, 08:20
Weren't they aiming for a single fleet type ultimately of just 738?
Now we have a 738, 757, A321, A330...
Complexities of subfleet crewing, ageing types, maintenance etc. Didn't Airtours struggle with that?

zoigberg
20th Oct 2019, 08:30

Nothing has been announced internally. There are lots of jungle drums on the same lines as we have in this discussion.

Antonio Montana
20th Oct 2019, 08:46
Which is great news for those affected by the demise of TCX, but this alone means nothing, people can always change types.

Until there is an official announcement, it remains a rumour.

Jet2 have got where they are by being very careful, this seems a bit too risky to me. I cannot imagine Philip Meeson doing this.

LBAflyer22
20th Oct 2019, 10:41
Which is great news for those affected by the demise of TCX, but this alone means nothing, people can always change types.

Until there is an official announcement, it remains a rumour.

Jet2 have got where they are by being very careful, this seems a bit too risky to me. I cannot imagine Philip Meeson doing this.

It does remain a rumour.

I would say the PM wants his business to grow and knows the difficulties the aviation industry is currently having; MAX grounded, 737-800 mid life market dried up and now an opportunity to expand into the old TC playgrounds of MAN and BHX with GLA/NCL/EMA thrown in for good measure. It will be too tempting. With this in mind; no TC around anymore i'm sure they've thought long and hard and believe it is a good enough opportunity not to miss. The B757's are ageing, the spares market is limited, and this is the perfect opportunity, i would say, for the airline to see if the A321 (220) fits within their fleet. They've had experience of running 2 separate fleets side by side (one large one small) so whilst adding a 3rd in the mix in the short term seems madness if it pays off as a replacement of the 757 it is a success.

Having recently just seen their share price - i trust that whatever is going on in the group and at board level is approved by many. Their current share price is £12.36 versus TUI share price of £10.49.

JSCL
20th Oct 2019, 12:04
Share price is irrelevant.

TUI - 589 million shares in circulation.

Dart Group - 149 million shares in circulation.

TUI still remains worth some £4bn+ more than Dart. Share price alone is an indicator of nothing.

J3elli
20th Oct 2019, 13:45
It has been announced internally to operational teams that 4 ex TCX A321’s have been outright purchased. The recent roadshows have indeed meant that recruitment of ex TCX Airbus flight deck and engineers had happened. This is has not been communicated in an official communication however this happening.

The 4 A321’s will be based at MAN. Originally it was looked into to keeping the 3 757’s due for retirement however some of the frames need heavy mx so will still be disposed of. Last I heard GLSAH will remain in in the fleet after some work over winter, AG and AI are still going.

The A321’s and remaining 757 will allow a generous capacity increase at MAN, and will also allow a couple of 737’s to be redistributed to BHX and STN.

Titan will acquire another A321 to be based at STN. Next summer there will be A321’s and STN, BHX and MAN.

It’s apparent that the last few years of measuring the A321’s economics at BHX & STN has paid off. By the end of 2020, GLA, EDI, NCL, BFS, EMA and LBA will all be 737-800 exclusive bases. STN & BHX will be 737-800/A321 bases and MAN 737-800, A321, A330 and 757 whilst they are slowly parted out over the coming years.

The 757 lovers need to accept they are all old and the A321 can do everything the 757 does for Jet2, with much better economics and dispatch reliability. Any long haul charters and NY flights will operate on the A330. The important word there is long haul charters, not scheduled services. Jet2 is very cautious and those hoping for Florida and Caribbean shouldn’t waste any time thinking about it.

Jet2 is no going to put on sale anywhere near the capacity lost by TCX. It will add a handful of extra aircraft at each of its core markets STN, BHX and MAN and carry on growing other bases by tweaking schedules and making use of the Spanish bases Aircraft to allow extra rotations by UK bases to fit in.

Yeehaw22
20th Oct 2019, 13:48
"The B757's are ageing, the spares market is limited"

Ageing, yes. But what are you basing the lack of spares on? If there was a shortage then no one would still be flying them.

redED
20th Oct 2019, 16:24

There’s no need for them to advertise, recruitment has never been closed for type rated folk with plenty of applicants.

Telephone interviews leading to assessment days with 1 on 1 interviews, group exercise and sim assessments all having happened in the last couple of weeks. They’re moving much quicker than they did after Monarch’s demise.

Weren't they aiming for a single fleet type ultimately of just 738?
Now we have a 738, 757, A321, A330...
Complexities of subfleet crewing, ageing types, maintenance etc. Didn't Airtours struggle with that?

Of course they weren’t, two types maybe with 73 and a larger wide body but all 73? No chance, not with slot constraints as they are these days.

Antonio Montana
20th Oct 2019, 18:07
There’s no need for them to advertise, recruitment has never been closed for type rated folk with plenty of applicants.

To clarify redED, Jet2 are advertising, massivly, for 737 Non and Type Rated, F/O's and Capts.
There is NO and i mean ZERO mention of Airbus
Hope this helps
AM

Ivan aromer
20th Oct 2019, 19:02
To clarify redED, Jet2 are advertising, massivly, for 737 Non and Type Rated, F/O's and Capts.
Hope this helps
AM
Remember that the wheels fitted to the Jet2 goal posts are industry leaders in terms of speed of movement!

flybar
20th Oct 2019, 19:58
"The B757's are ageing, the spares market is limited"

Ageing, yes. But what are you basing the lack of spares on? If there was a shortage then no one would still be flying them.
The three ex China Southern air frames mentioned are a different spec to the rest hence their potentially early demise

mmeteesside
20th Oct 2019, 21:07
Hope this helps
AM
Maybe no need to advertise - there’s a large amount of TCX crews available after all

N707ZS
20th Oct 2019, 21:43
The three ex China Southern air frames mentioned are a different spec to the rest hence their potentially early demise

Some of the others have more hours on them especially A and B.

ib26uk
20th Oct 2019, 23:17
When did Jet2 STOP flying domestic flights from Manchester
Years ago I remember flying with them on a 737-300 from Manchester to Edinburgh and from Gatwick to Manchester?

Kestrel
21st Oct 2019, 05:29
I reckon it’ll be more than 4x 321 and maybe more 330’s starting Summer 2020

chaps1954
21st Oct 2019, 07:12
ib26uk it was several years ago cannot remember exactly when but probably 5 or 6 years

Plane.Silly
21st Oct 2019, 07:30
When did Jet2 STOP flying domestic flights from Manchester
Years ago I remember flying with them on a 737-300 from Manchester to Edinburgh and from Gatwick to Manchester?

The domestic flights were a stop gap to build up the company profile, and also to improve utilisation

The jet2 model wouldn't work now. The morning and Afternoon wave of flights are timed perfect to maximise the utilisation now, unlike before, where they would have had spare gaps available year round

I would also guess it's the same reason they dropped the work for Royal Mail, as they needed their planes on the more profitable holidays routes

pholling
21st Oct 2019, 08:11
I reckon it’ll be more than 4x 321 and maybe more 330’s starting Summer 2020

4xA321s only wouldn't make sense to put on the AoC and develop a mtc. However, if the plan were more in the longer-term these would make sense.

irishlad06
21st Oct 2019, 09:23
4xA321s only wouldn't make sense to put on the AoC and develop a mtc. However, if the plan were more in the longer-term these would make sense.

Obviously they see the a321 as a b757 replacement for them. Can see them by 2020 or 2021 maybe taking one or two a330’s themselves in house if the economics work.

DjerbaDevil
21st Oct 2019, 10:53

Probably the long term planning is the idea. BREXIT must be weighing heavily on decision making in the boardroom. The Withdrawal Agreement, that has taken 3 years to negotiate and pass through Parliament with no success so far, is only the beginning or tip of the iceberg. After the WA the UK has until December 2020 to negotiate the "Free" Trade Agreement with the EU. This date can be extended an extra 2 years but the application must be made to the EU by July 2020 and probably Mr. Johnson won't be willing to do so.

Trade Agreements take many years to negotiate, some can take 20 years or more. The recent trade agreement between the EU and Canada took about 9 years from the start of negotiations and finally signing between the parties concerned. Hence the possibility that the UK will eventually leave the EU without a Trade Deal of any kind is possible.

It makes sense therefore that JET2 are only purchasing 4 x A321s to replace some of their B757s and in the event that business in the UK in general goes belly up due to BREXIT, they have another 20 aircraft that are leased or old enough to retire to be able to downsize to cope with a possible future considerable reduction in travellers.

brian_dromey
21st Oct 2019, 11:08
The A321 is no different to the 757, in terms of having two types within the fleet. Although the 737 and 757 are Boeing, they have very little, in common. If Jet2 feel the need for something bigger than the 738, they need the A321 or 737-900ER/9MAX. They have had the A321 wet-leased for quite a few years now and the 757s aren't getting any younger. With type-rated crews and maintenance seeking new opportunities at MAN, there seems no better time to acquire the expertise and integrate it into the company. Much like when Channel Express bought those Ansett 737s all those years ago.

nowhereasfiled
21st Oct 2019, 11:41
They’ve already got cabin crew trained on Airbus that work on the Smartlynx and Titan aircraft

brian_dromey
21st Oct 2019, 12:02
They’ve already got cabin crew trained on Airbus that work on the Smartlynx and Titan aircraft
I was thinking of operational and flight-deck crews. Presumably there are a number of management, training pilots, training programmes and maintenance regimes needed for each fleet type, which would not be required with a wet-lease. After the demise of Thomas Cook many of these people may be looking for new jobs. If they have families, partners and other commitments in Manchester, brining that experience to Jet2 could be a win for both parties.

SilverCityKid
21st Oct 2019, 16:09
What a pleasure to read a sensible reasoned and sympathetic post highlighting the advantages of Jet 2 purchasing 4 x A321 ex Thomas Cook. A total contrast from all the negative winging and moaning on PPrune and in Westmister.

It shows that there are still companies around who look further than the next quarter's financial results and also have a sense of social responsibility.

As Brian says, it seems to me like a "Win-Win Situation" for all concerned, well done Jet 2 !

LBAflyer22
21st Oct 2019, 20:20
brining that experience to Jet2 could be a win for both parties.

What a pleasure to read a sensible reasoned and sympathetic post [/SPOILER]highlighting the advantages of Jet 2 purchasing 4 x A321 ex Thomas Cook. A total contrast from all the negative winging and moaning on PPrune and in Westmister.

It shows that there are still companies around who look further than the next quarter's financial results and also have a sense of social responsibility.

As Brian says, it seems to me like a "Win-Win Situation" for all concerned, well done Jet 2 !

I second that SilverCityKid.

Also to add my two cents to this argument - Air Tanker used TC engineers for the A330's. Get some Airbus rated pilots into the Jet2 fold and Jet2 will be able to provide the service to Air Tanker at no doubt discounted rates or within he contract. And with them expanding the A330 to 3 - i have even heard a rumour of 4 (1x A330 388 seater) this will be useful indeed.

Antonio Montana
22nd Oct 2019, 04:54
But all of this assumes that they really have purchased Airbus.

Of which there has been no credible evidence, other than posts from people on here, No Official Announcement although there was speculation that there would have been over a week ago. The only real evidence is the seat maps for some of next years flights.

Sadly this all seems like another series of wet leases from Smart Lynx and Titan to me, Hope I am wrong, I too have been through the pain of redundancy in this industry 3 times, but i doubt it.

Bournemouthair
22nd Oct 2019, 06:24
I would agree that there are hardly massive holes to fill with the demise of TCX. If anything, they may want to consolidate and lift yields at those locations. Unless slots are so scarce to warrant a land grab but I doubt it.

As for BOH, Jet2 have no presence at LGW so this could potentially pull demand away from the likes of easyJet and Norwegian. Could be quite strategic to do this especially if they did a split operation between BOH and SOU? 2 aircraft each.from facebook

We're going where the sun shines brightly, we're going where the sea is blue...a new destination route from Bournemouth Airport is unveiled here tomorrow. Find out where, and with what carrier, from 10am Tuesday, 22nd October.🏖

rog747
22nd Oct 2019, 06:58

As for BOH, Jet2 have no presence at LGW so this could potentially pull demand away from the likes of easyJet and Norwegian. Could be quite strategic to do this especially if they did a split operation between BOH and SOU? 2 aircraft each.

Admiral optimism but SOU is a complete no for 738 or A321 ops, and as for BOH, yes Jet2 had its spiritual home there, but both TUI and FR only base one 738 there year round, so 2 at BOH for Jet2 - not sure about that...Rumour was for TUI to have a 2nd 738 but even they are cautious at BOH and have reduced SOU ops for S20 by canning IBZ and 1 x PMI a week, with MAH remaining on a small 78 seat BE Q400.

BRS has seen around 3 or 4 TCK a/c lost but EZY TUI and FR all have very strong presence there
CWL was summer only TCK afaik?
EXT nothing for years (only TUI now for package holidays, plus FR muscling in)

stonejo
22nd Oct 2019, 14:46
from facebook

We're going where the sun shines brightly, we're going where the sea is blue...a new destination route from Bournemouth Airport is unveiled here tomorrow. Find out where, and with what carrier, from 10am Tuesday, 22nd October.🏖

TUI announcesd flight to Skiathos from Bournemouth for 2020 today.

Flying Wild
22nd Oct 2019, 16:30
Announced this afternoon that 7 A321 aircraft are being brought onto the Jet2 AOC for summer 2020. 4 at MAN, 3 at BHX.

LBIA
22nd Oct 2019, 16:46
Jet2 just put on sale winter 2020 New York flights using Airbus A330's from BHX, NCL, MAN & EMA & Boeing 757-200 from LBA

https://www.jet2.com/News/Enjoy_more_bites_of_the_Big_Apple_in_Winter_20/

Birmingham: 3x flights = 19th November / 6th & 13th December
Newcastle: 4x flights = 22nd & 26th / November, 3rd & 17th December
Manchester: 7x Flights = 27th & 30th November / 4th, 7th,11th, 14th & 18th December
Leeds Bradford: 3x flights = 3rd, 10th & 17th December
East Midlands: 1x flight = 10th December

GCELY
22nd Oct 2019, 17:02
Ground crew for Jet2 have just received an internal communication which mentions 7x A321’s for next year based at BHX and MAN. I’m sure there will be a statement soon from the company

stonejo
22nd Oct 2019, 18:01
Looks like Jet2 are looking for more Airbus according to the Word on the Ground issued today.

nowhereasfiled
22nd Oct 2019, 19:29
Ground crew for Jet2 have just received an internal communication which mentions 7x A321’s for next year based at BHX and MAN. I’m sure there will be a statement soon from the company

Theres already been an internal comm to all depts about the introduction of Airbus it came out today.

To support growth and to give us additional capacity for Summer 2020, we are planning to introduce seven
Airbus A321’s under our own Jet2.com Air Operator Certificate (AOC), in time it is likely more may follow. Four of these aircraft will be based in Manchester (MAN) and three will be based in Birmingham (BHX).
This is clearly a very exciting time and a return to Airbus operations for the Company having operated Airbus A300 freighters in the 1990’s.
The Airbus A321’s will be in the 220 seat configuration and along with our well established Boeing fleet, will help to continue to provide our customers with a fantastic experience going to and coming back from their well deserved holidays.
Once in service, planned for April 2020, they will be flying to all our current destinations and there will be additional aircraft in the Bases highlighted supporting, the current fleet