PDA

View Full Version : Jet2-5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

ROC10
31st Jul 2020, 20:08
And my response to Government would be "how you determine this does not apply to those already in country on vacation." It seems positively bizarre to exclude someone from travelling to Spain whilst those who are already there can remain and return as planned? None of this makes sense, and the lack of information on why the decision was taken leads one to believe it was for reasons other than pure spikes in virus cases.
I note TUI have now applied the same dates as Jet2 for Balearics, Canaries & Mainland Spain..

The government aren’t excluding anyone from travelling to Spain. They have, of course, advised against all but essential travel and implemented a 2-week quarantine, thus, for obvious reasons, package holidays can’t go ahead as planned. What exactly is it that “does not apply” to those already in Spain? They will still have to quarantine on return so what would be the point in bringing them back earlier? Or do you mean that they should be left in Spain until further notice with no flight home? In which case, from a purely epidemiological perspective, that may be understandable but it would be a rather harsh stance.

UnderASouthernSky
31st Jul 2020, 22:45
What would be the benefit of making people come back early? You still have to do 14 day quarantine whenever you come back.

Er, less time spent in a higher risk area means a lower chance of contracting the virus. Not everyone who gets Covid while abroad will simply be okay after 14 days back at home, even if spread to citizens back in the UK is limited by the quarantine.

wowzz
31st Jul 2020, 22:53
Er, less time spent in a higher risk area means a lower chance of contracting the virus. Not everyone who gets Covid while abroad will simply be okay after 14 days back at home, even if spread to citizens back in the UK is limited by the quarantine.
Yes, but places like the Canaries are not a high risk area. So why the need to bring people back from a low risk area to a real high risk area such as Manchester?

SWBKCB
1st Aug 2020, 07:05
The UK Govt appears to have decided that it doesn't want any more Brits to go on holiday to Spain. Boris / Rishi have seen how much bringing Thomas Cook's customers home cost in Sept 2019. Boris also knows how much hassle was involved bringing everyone home in March 2020 at the start of the lockdown. HM Govt appears to have decided it is not willing to pay to evacuate everyone back to the UK and would rather pax and airlines just sort it out themselves instead

Getting back to Jet2, what they are being criticised for is consolidating return flights, which mainly seems to mean people coming back earlier. So early return flights are available, but people don't want to use them.

What exactly are the government meant to do, send the troops in?

occasional
1st Aug 2020, 21:06
And my response to Government would be "how you determine this does not apply to those already in country on vacation." It seems positively bizarre to exclude someone from travelling to Spain whilst those who are already there can remain and return as planned?
Why bizarre ? The obvious alternative was shown to be seriously daft when the first Covid-19 travel restrictions were brought into operation.
What might be sensible is for airlines to arrange to recognise each others tickets.

davidjohnson6
1st Aug 2020, 21:21
What might be sensible is for airlines to arrange to recognise each others tickets.

Very unlikely to happen - the penalties for acting as a cartel are very high. If an airline wants to be a monopolist, they will act in secret, not in public

occasional
2nd Aug 2020, 11:14
To my mind recognising each others tickets during the Covid crisis is a proposal that ought to come from government. It was a system that used to work well on cross-channel ferries.

Cuillin Hills
2nd Aug 2020, 17:00
To my mind recognising each others tickets during the Covid crisis is a proposal that ought to come from government. It was a system that used to work well on cross-channel ferries.

Imagine BA being considerate enough to provide carriage for a Virgin passenger - how long do you think BA would have to wait before Virgin forwarded the due amount?

Imagine how long Jet2 would have to wait for reimbursement from Ryanair if they gave carriage to a Ryanair passenger?

Can you visualise Ryanair paying £100 to TUI to get a Ryanair passenger back from Tenerife (someone who possibly only paid Ryanair £29.99 for his ticket)?

An airline is not a charity - it is a business (needless to say).

SWBKCB
2nd Aug 2020, 17:05
Putting 10 pax on a TUI flight might be cheaper than sending your own a/c to collect them.

inOban
2nd Aug 2020, 17:47
In case of disruption all the train operating companies recognise each others tickets

Cuillin Hills
2nd Aug 2020, 20:01
Putting 10 pax on a TUI flight might be cheaper than sending your own a/c to collect them.

Correct - but they would need to buy a ticket from TUI like everyone else.

A bit different from ‘recognising each other’s tickets’ - those days of honour and trust between certain airlines has long gone.

xanda_man
7th Aug 2020, 10:20
Curiosity post, please delete if not allowed. Anyone know what's up with DRTB? Looks like it's tech in CFU following LS111 and DRTW was sent from BHX to pick to collect the GLA pax. Weird flight, cruised mainly at 25/28K all the way. Was tracking it as I'm due on it in coming weeks so curiosity got the better of me.

The Flying Stool
7th Aug 2020, 10:42
It had an intermittent autopilot issue on leaving Glasgow. They initially stopped their climb at FL250 to discuss with engineering whether to turn back or not. Autopilot started working again so they continued to Corfu. In the mean time, a replacement aircraft was dispatched to pick up the inbound passengers.

xanda_man
8th Aug 2020, 14:04
It had an intermittent autopilot issue on leaving Glasgow. They initially stopped their climb at FL250 to discuss with engineering whether to turn back or not. Autopilot started working again so they continued to Corfu. In the mean time, a replacement aircraft was dispatched to pick up the inbound passengers.

Thanks for the info. Curiosity satisfied.

rog747
8th Aug 2020, 16:27
Correct - but they would need to buy a ticket from TUI like everyone else.

A bit different from ‘recognising each other’s tickets’ - those days of honour and trust between certain airlines has long gone.

Yes - in far gone by days of charter airlines and tour operators we once had a very nice arrangement at the airports called ''mutual aid''
Here in the case of Tech problems ATC or strikes, or passengers needing to go home early for instance - if there were empty seats then each of us would accept (usually without any fee) the other carriers or operators ticket - In those days if you had a charter ticket from Gatwick to Palma you could basically go on and ask anyone if there were problems and get a seat on them if one was free.

We had 2 very tech Tristars one Friday night sitting at Gatwick both going to Athens - both full 400 pax each and both delayed for 12 hours.
we found loads of seats on all the other airlines going out that night (Friday night ATH was very popular back then) KT DA AE BIA AMBER BY MON AMM and even BA had two scheduled night flights a 737 and a 757 that were not full and the BA Duty Officer she was superb in filling up every seat for us...She even held the 757 for a while to get everyone checked in
We got away as many pax as we could (about 200 or more) many who were due to get on 0700 Ferries out of Piraeus to the Cyclades saving them a days wait at ATH (and us having to get Hotac for them)

That is how the Mutual Aid system worked - which it did very well....

matjr79
10th Aug 2020, 14:10
G-LSAN will be returning to MAN shortly.. Bird Strike over Heald Green a few moments ago.

irishlad06
10th Aug 2020, 15:21
G-LSAN will be returning to MAN shortly.. Bird Strike over Heald Green a few moments ago.

Wasn’t a bird strike - problem with engine. No passengers onboard as it was a test flight

ROC10
13th Aug 2020, 12:31
https://twitter.com/jet2tweets/status/1293882021903831040?s=21

Mr A Tis
15th Aug 2020, 16:41
Given the reduced number of destinations available, I'm surprised services to places like Mykonos haven't been stepped up. J2 only fly from MAN twice a week with hefty fares. Santorini only 3 times a week. Are these places slot constrained ?
Mykonos has lost the MAN-JMK twice weekly from BA Cityflyer & also no Thomas Cook- so Would of thought Greek Islands are if anything, underserved this year?

LS737
15th Aug 2020, 16:42
^ Aren't Mykonos and Santorini a bit shed like?

richardwpprn
15th Aug 2020, 18:03
^ Aren't Mykonos and Santorini a bit shed like?

Do you mean the airports?

CW247
15th Aug 2020, 18:04
I'm hearing Jet2 are about to drop 100 pilots

Albert Hall
15th Aug 2020, 18:08
Given the reduced number of destinations available, I'm surprised services to places like Mykonos haven't been stepped up. J2 only fly from MAN twice a week with hefty fares. Santorini only 3 times a week. Are these places slot constrained ?

The constraint is far more likely to be accommodation - or at least affordable accommodation - as neither JMK or JTR have endless bed stock. I'd be surprised if slot constraints prevented more flights, not least because the aircraft aren't working as hard as in a normal summer so there would likely be flex in the schedule to accept whatever slots were on offer if you had to.

fanrailuk
15th Aug 2020, 18:08
I'm hearing Jet2 are about to drop 100 pilots

Correct.

102 Jet2 pilots to be made redundant (https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-102-jet2-pilots-to-be-made-redundant-union-says-12049854)

iggle piggle
15th Aug 2020, 20:03
Correct.

102 Jet2 pilots to be made redundant (https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-102-jet2-pilots-to-be-made-redundant-union-says-12049854)

That’s old news from June.

fanrailuk
16th Aug 2020, 18:10
That’s old news from June.

Article date; Saturday 15 August 2020 14:46, UK

The Flying Stool
16th Aug 2020, 18:57
Yes, but it's the same 102 pilots announced in June. It's not another 102 pilots in August.

LBAflyer22
16th Aug 2020, 19:17
Yes, but it's the same 102 pilots announced in June. It's not another 102 pilots in August.

They are recycling the same story but its been updated after BALPA have tried their best with Jet2.

MKY661
27th Aug 2020, 15:30
https://twitter.com/jet2tweets/status/1299014773418459136

ATNotts
27th Aug 2020, 15:39
https://twitter.com/jet2tweets/status/1299003216030507010

Well done Jet2. They are being honest with the travelling public, although judging from the replies to their posting some people are clearly in denial as to the gravity of the situation in Spain, including the Balearics.

Flying Hi
27th Aug 2020, 18:46
Well done Jet2. They are being honest with the travelling public, although judging from the replies to their posting some people are clearly in denial as to the gravity of the situation in Spain, including the Balearics.

I dont tweet or make any other kind of bird noises. It says Tweet Unavailable.
Enlightenment please.

Also - anyone know why todays NCL - Faro flight stopped off at Dublin en route??

MKY661
27th Aug 2020, 18:56
I dont tweet or make any other kind of bird noises. It says Tweet Unavailable.
Enlightenment please.

Seems the original Tweet was deleted but updated my post with the new Tweet

L1649
28th Aug 2020, 18:53
Also - anyone know why todays NCL - Faro flight stopped off at Dublin en route??

Medical emergency diversion.

Flying Hi
28th Aug 2020, 18:58
Medical emergency diversion.
Many thanks. Hope the passenger was OK.

Modular Halil
29th Aug 2020, 11:09
Morning guys, just curious, since jet2 cancelled their previous orders of airbus aircraft, could we expect to see a return of them in the near future, ppjn says 1x a321 in the fleet and 1x a321 on order. Cheers

Halil

ROC10
29th Aug 2020, 13:37
Morning guys, just curious, since jet2 cancelled their previous orders of airbus aircraft, could we expect to see a return of them in the near future, ppjn says 1x a321 in the fleet and 1x a321 on order. Cheers
I was under the impression that they were going to take 2 (YF/YG) of the planned 7 A321s, but so far only one (YF) has been operational. I don’t have any insider knowledge though so may well be completely wrong, but this is backed up by Planespotters, Jethros, FR24.

SWBKCB
29th Aug 2020, 15:07
I would expect that at the moment nobody is looking to take on new a/c, unless they are already contractually commited, and the cost of cancellation exceeds what it would cost to take them on.

Flying Hi
29th Aug 2020, 15:34
YF is busy. Spares and service support for what is a single Airbus amidst an otherwise Boeing fleet can't come cheap. It must have seemed, and probably was, a good idea at the time..
Gaining operational experience though.

Jonty
29th Aug 2020, 18:10
There will be 2 for next summer.

With probably more after that to replace the B757.

Modular Halil
29th Aug 2020, 20:43
Jet2 still want a heavily denominated boeing fleet, with 68x 737-800 on order until corona virus hit not sure whether they're brand new or used, hopefully the airbus see a return, cheers chaps!

ROC10
29th Aug 2020, 21:21
Jet2 still want a heavily denominated boeing fleet, with 68x 737-800 on order until corona virus hit not sure whether they're brand new or used, hopefully the airbus see a return, cheers chaps!
The -800s can’t be brand new for obvious reasons...

But they have, over recent years, acquired many of the last brand new -800s and I believe they cancelled the acquisition of a couple of older ones.

Johnny F@rt Pants
30th Aug 2020, 12:14
Morning guys, just curious, since jet2 cancelled their previous orders of airbus aircraft, could we expect to see a return of them in the near future, ppjn says 1x a321 in the fleet and 1x a321 on order.

1 is in service, the other is on the books and is going through it’s entry into service checks.

Modular Halil
30th Aug 2020, 12:31
1 is in service, the other is on the books and is going through it’s entry into service checks.
thanks for the clarification I appreciate it!

chuzwuza
30th Aug 2020, 20:18
can’t quite see where you get 68 orders for 737-800 from. Please clarify.

Modular Halil
30th Aug 2020, 20:27
can’t quite see where you get 68 orders for 737-800 from. Please clarify.

On PPJN under orders:

68x 737 and 1×A321 though PPJN was updated and the 737 orders were removed and was left with the single airbus order! So I wouldn't take it for gospel.

ROC10
31st Aug 2020, 19:36
Guys, the 737-800 is no longer in production...

If you’re referring to second-hand acquisitions, then I believe they had a few more planned and cancelled those. I never heard of it being anywhere near 68 though? Maybe that was the total figure including all those delivered over the last few years?

Modular Halil
31st Aug 2020, 19:39
They're taking older ones from other airlines who are swapping to the neo of course :ok:

Halil

Mr @ Spotty M
31st Aug 2020, 20:33
Its beginning to look like the adding of flights and holidays to Portugal is going to be short lived.
Increase in the last week above the 7 day rate of 20 cases per 100,000, which the UK Gov considers triggering quarantine conditions.
My guess is that Greece will be not far behind after last weeks cases in Zante.

sportzbar
1st Sep 2020, 06:01
Its beginning to look like the adding of flights and holidays to Portugal is going to be short lived.
Increase in the last week above the 7 day rate of 20 cases per 100,000, which the UK Gov considers triggering quarantine conditions.
My guess is that Greece will be not far behind after last weeks cases in Zante.
I wouldn't worry about Greece just yet. The figures for Greece are around 14-15 average for the past few weeks. Below is the daily figures for 31 August. Greece is actually down from a high of 14.9 3 days prior. The geography of Greece and the way the local authorities clamp down immediately helps to keep the numbers in check. They do local lockdowns like the UK but the restrictions are harsher and work.....
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/920x2000/screenshot_20200901_065745_cc7daa9a6c6e47d39ddf086420b4dc2ba 9530fe9.png

Flying Wild
1st Sep 2020, 12:01
On PPJN under orders:

68x 737 and 1×A321 though PPJN was updated and the 737 orders were removed and was left with the single airbus order! So I wouldn't take it for gospel.
PPJN???? That font of accurate facts which anyone can edit? :ugh:

Johnny F@rt Pants
1st Sep 2020, 14:00
PPJN???? That font of accurate facts which anyone can edit? https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies2/eusa_wall.gif

Ha ha, couldn’t have put it better:D

Mr @ Spotty M
1st Sep 2020, 21:05
sportzbar,
Do you still think that l might be wrong about Greece, after Scotland's decision today?

sportzbar
2nd Sep 2020, 05:36
sportzbar,
Do you still think that l might be wrong about Greece, after Scotland's decision today?
It does throw the cat amongst the pigeons doesn't it? I think it's a knee-jerk reaction to a few clusters that have happened (not including the Tui Cardiff flight). Now I'm not so sure if it will stay off the quarantine list. It'll make a mockery of the criteria used by the government as 99% of the cases have been linked to Laganas in Zante.

Having returned from Corfu only a few days ago it does seem, in my opinion, the Greeks are taking this a lot more seriously than the general public over here in the UK. The police don't give gentle word of advice if not adhering, they don't give you chance to apologise, they slap you with a fine.

I truly hope it doesn't go back on the quarantine list but I guess now after Scotland and Wales have done what they have, it won't be long before England joins in.....

MKY661
3rd Sep 2020, 17:51
Mainland Spain & Croatia off until the Winter Season:
https://twitter.com/jet2tweets/status/1301563517963841542
https://twitter.com/jet2tweets/status/1301563979874078721

Comm
22nd Sep 2020, 09:48
I see ppjn is at it again

40i
22nd Sep 2020, 10:02

Yes... although last time there was some truth in it.

I can’t see them making anymore, they have 2019 capacity next year so they need crew, maybe temporary lay offs over winter/ part time working? Who knows.

Brian Pern
22nd Sep 2020, 11:22
It appears to me that Jet2 are in denial, the industry is in free fall,
Easyjet have been up front and informed their workforce, Ryanair have asked for Part Time and Unpaid Leave. Lufthansa are making sweeping cuts, TUI are struggling, there was a good article in last week's Sunday Times, yet at Jet2 everything is just peachy. I really do hope that the remarks on PPJN are wrong, but common sense tells me there is more pain to come.

P330
22nd Sep 2020, 11:27
What are the remarks people are referring to?

excrab
22nd Sep 2020, 11:31

They've got the captain’s salary wrong, let’s hope the rest is wrong as well....

Johnny F@rt Pants
22nd Sep 2020, 11:56
What are the remarks people are referring to?

The remarks referred to on PPJN.

JM926
22nd Sep 2020, 12:18
Captains salary too low, SFO salary too high...(based on Covid pay)

not paying it much attention at this stage...

40i
22nd Sep 2020, 13:28
Easyjet have been up front and informed their workforce, Ryanair have asked for Part Time and Unpaid Leave. Lufthansa are making sweeping cuts, TUI are struggling, there was a good article in last week's Sunday Times, yet at Jet2 everything is just peachy. I really do hope that the remarks on PPJN are wrong, but common sense tells me there is more pain to come.

I don’t think they are in denial, they know what there ‘21 booking figures will be...

Brian Pern
22nd Sep 2020, 14:12
I don’t think they are in denial, they know what there ‘21 booking figures will be...
I have no doubt they do, TUI's 2021 are up 145% on 2019 according to the Sunday Times, but how many of these are bookings from this year was not mentioned. Let's not forget TUI are the whale here, pan European not just the UK.
Brexit is coming and it won't be a nice soft one either, people have had staycations and many will be tempted to do the same next year, there is a lot of uncertainty in the industry, people won't want to travel on holiday with a risk of quarantine at the end of it.
I have no doubt that Jet2 management have a plan, it's just the silence is deafening

Jonty
22nd Sep 2020, 16:14
I don’t think things are peachy at Jet2, but I would say they are probably one of the best placed companies to take advantage of the recovery when it comes.

40i
22nd Sep 2020, 16:30
I have no doubt they do, TUI's 2021 are up 145% on 2019 according to the Sunday Times, but how many of these are bookings from this year was not mentioned. Let's not forget TUI are the whale here, pan European not just the UK.
Brexit is coming and it won't be a nice soft one either, people have had staycations and many will be tempted to do the same next year, there is a lot of uncertainty in the industry, people won't want to travel on holiday with a risk of quarantine at the end of it.
I have no doubt that Jet2 management have a plan, it's just the silence is deafening

Yea I agree. This year is a write off, too unstable with government legislation. Brexit agreed will be horrific they are better placed though as the vast majority of their workforce is UK based. Unlike as you say TUI.

As above it isn’t pretty and I hope there is a plan to capitalise and gain a bigger market share next summer, but yes the silence is horrible but I don’t think that will change soon!

LS737
22nd Sep 2020, 18:24

There's a culture of good news or no news at Jet2. I'm not surprised!

Brian Pern
22nd Sep 2020, 18:26
There's a culture of good news or no news at Jet2. I'm not surprised!
this is what is concerning me, I do hope I'm wrong.

Crewing Gimp
23rd Sep 2020, 10:46

Oh Brian, you are still desperate for Jet2 to fail....

The company is being as proactive as possible, already reduced size of fleet and workforce sufficiently to be able to get through the Winter and be ready for Summer21 (the company as always communicates internally what the plans are) If the government get there act together, and maintain the air corridors and have airport testing (which they should of been working on from 01st Apr). The company and the whole industry will recover.

As you can see above tweets, we are reacting to ever changing restrictions to get our customers on there well deserved Lovely holidays.

The Gimp

Brian Pern
23rd Sep 2020, 14:19
Actually Gimp, I don't want the company to fail.
I have a interest in the success of Jet2, having being involved in several airlines over the years, even Jet2 in its infancy.
I just like many others fail to believe the shtik put out by the management.
I wish you well.
BP

MARK 101
23rd Sep 2020, 15:53
Believe Jet2 are only planning for 80% of planned programme for summer 2021 which I suppose given current climate isnt too bad. Imagine TUI will be hoping the European operation will hold up better than UK without Brexit affecting it

OzzyOzBorn
23rd Sep 2020, 20:10
The overriding impediment to the leisure market ex-UK is quarantine restrictions, both in other countries and here in the UK upon return home. People cannot plan discretionary travel amidst such uncertainty and ever-shifting rules. Few working people enjoy the option to lock themselves away for two weeks when they arrive back from holiday. Brexit concerns are way down the list, and it is in the interests of all EUMED countries with a tourism sector of size to smooth border formalities for their UK customers on that front post-December 31st. But until we have a widely-distributed vaccine with high efficacy, and whilst a 'holiday' means permanent bemuzzlement in hot climates, closed venues, and no opportunity to meet new friends closer than two metres away, leisure bookings will remain utterly depressed. Jet2 and others must plan around this, and lobby to ensure that government-imposed restrictions do not linger even one day longer than absolutely necessary. Not just quarantine: muzzles, taped-off seating areas, early closing, no-mingling rules all have to be rescinded too.

But the ex-UK leisure market does enjoy two key advantages which near-continental countries cannot match. The UK is an island nation - driving abroad comes with either an expensive ferry crossing / tunnel transit, or via car hire overseas (often non-refundable if cancelled). Remember that Germans, French, Benelux customers can drive their own cars to many popular sunshine resorts for as long as flying worries them. And no concerns about flight cancellations and vouchers for them if plans go awry. Add to this that countries including Germany and Austria have recently been imposing damaging new "green" taxes on airline operations, and there is no reason to presume that reviving leisure flying demand in Continental Europe will be an easier proposition than in the UK.

Meanwhile, most short-haul trunk routes from the UK remain subject to dire quarantine rules at one or both ends of the journey. Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Eire, France, Spain, Benelux ... pretty much all of our key short-haul markets are afflicted. Only when all these unpredictable quarantines are consigned to history can we reappraise what proportion of the market is left standing. But there is latent demand for leisure travel. Even if we were to hit 20% unemployment (hope not), that still means 80% of workers bringing in an income. And many of those in "key worker" roles have been toiling their socks off over the last few months ... they're ready to enjoy a nice break when permitted, and many of them have amassed overtime payments which will help them to afford one. Voucher redemptions will play a role too, though these won't bring in fresh income to the airlines.

Jet2, TUI and other leisure carriers must conserve cash until C-19 restrictions are lifted and then be ready to react. Flying empty aircraft around in the meantime will only burn through cash reserves all the quicker. Traditional Winter favourites such as Spain, the Canaries, the Algarve etc will not sell until quarantine rules are swept away and the threat of sudden re-imposition is removed. And bookings for Summer '21 will only come in once restrictions are ended and the threat of another interminable paperchase for vouchers is removed. As a keen traveller myself, my own plan going forward is last minute bookings only to high-confidence destinations TFN. I expect many others to act in a similar fashion (or book nothing at all).

The priority for companies such as Jet2 has to be to conserve cash and wait this one out. Winter '20/'21 is effectively a write-off already.

CONSERVE CASH, CONSERVE CASH, CONSERVE CASH!

Atlantic Explorer
23rd Sep 2020, 20:42
Believe Jet2 are only planning for 80% of planned programme for summer 2021 which I suppose given current climate isnt too bad. Imagine TUI will be hoping the European operation will hold up better than UK without Brexit affecting it

Any plans for next year are just pure guess work at the moment. Nobody has a clue how next spring/summers going to pan out yet, and without a workable vaccine it ain’t going to be pretty.

Satoshi Nakamoto
5th Oct 2020, 22:21
Will be interesting to see what happens with Fosun for summer 2021, they have already done a deal with TUI for Cook flights.

Gurnard
6th Oct 2020, 12:52
It's being reported that two A321s will be joining Jet2 this month - G-HLYA & G-HLYD (ex TCX G-TCDD & DH respectively). Not sure if this affects acquisition of G-HLYG which has been stored at Shannon since October 2019.

ATNotts
6th Oct 2020, 13:47
It's being reported that two A321s will be joining Jet2 this month - G-HLYA & G-HLYD (ex TCX G-TCDD & DH respectively). Not sure if this affects acquisition of G-HLYG which has been stored at Shannon since October 2019.

What they expect to do with them gawd only knows; one hour Santa pleasure flights perhaps?? Socially distanced of course!

Can't see them carrying many holidaymakers anywhere any time soon.

Jonty
6th Oct 2020, 14:11
What they expect to do with them gawd only knows; one hour Santa pleasure flights perhaps?? Socially distanced of course!

Can't see them carrying many holidaymakers anywhere any time soon.

I imagine it’s all for next summer.

ATNotts
6th Oct 2020, 16:11
I imagine it’s all for next summer.

If I were running a business in the travel industry at the moment I think I'd be shedding rather then adding capacity. There's absolutely no guarantee that next summer will be any better than this summer regrettably. And surely if the A321s were required for S21, why take them into the fleet now. The world will likely be flooded with airframes looking for someone to fly for by next Spring.

Vokes55
6th Oct 2020, 16:26
Will be interesting to see what happens with Fosun for summer 2021, they have already done a deal with TUI for Cook flights.

Source?

anthbower1234
6th Oct 2020, 17:44
Anyone know why AE has been in AYT for the past week?

blobimals
6th Oct 2020, 20:22
Anyone know why AE has been in AYT for the past week?

It’s not, it’s in MAN

Mr @ Spotty M
6th Oct 2020, 20:59
Jet2holidays, the second largest Atol holder, is now licenced for 3,479,182, down from 4.8 million it had in April and the 3,915,000 it had in October 2019.

rog747
7th Oct 2020, 08:02
OzzyOzBorn
quote =
The overriding impediment to the leisure market is quarantine restrictions, both in other countries and here in the UK upon return home. bookings will remain utterly depressed
Jet2 and others must plan around this, and lobby to ensure that government-imposed restrictions do not linger even one day longer than absolutely necessary.
= unquote

Here's the thing - How can they plan around this?
It is not just the problem of Jet2's or TUI's holiday pax having to quarantine when arriving or returning from their holidays when travelling against FCO travel advice, the overwhelming problem is that one's Travel Insurance becomes null and void once HM's FCO adds a Country to the no-go/non-essential travel list.

Thus Jet2, TUI et al, have then to cancel all of their upcoming package holiday flights from that moment on, until such time the FCO advice lifts.
(And advance bookings will also obviously dry up or dwindle, as pax will in the main, be reluctant to book a destination on the 'list')

The Tour Operator has a duty of care to its clients and therefore it would be reckless for them to continue to undertake any such travel against FCO advice and where Travel Insurance provision is nullified.

Folk that are still going away independently now against FCO advice who are flying on say RYR or EZY etc, airlines which are still flying to various no-travel destinations that are on the FCO list (Such as TFS LPA MLA DLM or FAO) are of course, supposed to self isolate upon their return, and be aware that their Travel Ins is null & Void.
Your EHIC card will still provide basic medical and emergency treatment however.
There are now some Travel Ins Policies that do provide some holiday cover if you wish to still travel against FCO advice, but Tour Operators will not buck this and will not fly their planes.

Jonty
7th Oct 2020, 09:17
I think most holiday companies are writing off this year and now looking to summer 2021.
All I can say is there better be a vaccine by then, or were looking at the total decimation of the U.K. aviation industry.

excrab
7th Oct 2020, 09:20
OzzyOzBorn
quote =
The overriding impediment to the leisure market is quarantine restrictions, both in other countries and here in the UK upon return home. bookings will remain utterly depressed
Jet2 and others must plan around this, and lobby to ensure that government-imposed restrictions do not linger even one day longer than absolutely necessary.
= unquote

Here's the thing - How can they plan around this?
It is not just the problem of Jet2's or TUI's holiday pax having to quarantine when arriving or returning from their holidays when travelling against FCO travel advice, the overwhelming problem is that one's Travel Insurance becomes null and void once HM's FCO adds a Country to the no-go/non-essential travel list.

Thus Jet2, TUI et al, have then to cancel all of their upcoming package holiday flights from that moment on, until such time the FCO advice lifts.
(And advance bookings will also obviously dry up or dwindle, as pax will in the main, be reluctant to book a destination on the 'list')

The Tour Operator has a duty of care to its clients and therefore it would be reckless for them to continue to undertake any such travel against FCO advice and where Travel Insurance provision is nullified.

Folk that are still going away independently now against FCO advice who are flying on say RYR or EZY etc, airlines which are still flying to various no-travel destinations that are on the FCO list (Such as TFS LPA MLA DLM or FAO) are of course, supposed to self isolate upon their return, and be aware that their Travel Ins is null & Void.
Your EHIC card will still provide basic medical and emergency treatment however.
There are now some Travel Ins Policies that do provide some holiday cover if you wish to still travel against FCO advice, but Tour Operators will not buck this and will not fly their planes.

Jet 2 are now offering single trip travel insurance to their customers which gives the customer cover whilst abroad if the FCO advise against travel due to Covid 19, and covers them for medical treatment due to Covid whilst they’re abroad. If they’re not already doing it I imagine it won’t be long before other tour operators and low cost airlines start to do the same, so that solves the insurance problem.

The major issue remains the strange concept that if you live (for example) in Manchester where there are over 500 cases per 100,000 of the population you have to quarantine for 14 days if you return from a country where there are 21 cases per 100,000, although I suppose that whilst it’s good that it protects returning travellers from catching the disease in the street outside their house, it does nothing to slow the spread in Manchester.

Until there is a vaccine or governments in places like the U.K. stop trying to blame someone else for what’s happening in their own country people are still going to be reluctant to travel, unless they are retired or can work from home during the 14 day quarantine.

ATNotts
7th Oct 2020, 09:44
The major issue remains the strange concept that if you live (for example) in Manchester where there are over 500 cases per 100,000 of the population you have to quarantine for 14 days if you return from a country where there are 21 cases per 100,000, although I suppose that whilst it’s good that it protects returning travellers from catching the disease in the street outside their house, it does nothing to slow the spread in Manchester.

Frankly, with the level of new infections in UK it is amazing that the hasn't already put on the quarantine list of the majority of countries around the world, so before too long it won't be a question of insurance, or quarantining on return to UK, but spending your two weeks holiday in glorious isolation in your holiday hotel.

EU countries, by and large, are taking a pretty lenient attitude to UK arrival, that I believe will cease to be the case from January 2021.

rog747
7th Oct 2020, 09:49
Jet 2 are now offering single trip travel insurance to their customers which gives the customer cover whilst abroad if the FCO advise against travel due to Covid 19, and covers them for medical treatment due to Covid whilst they’re abroad. If they’re not already doing it I imagine it won’t be long before other tour operators and low cost airlines start to do the same, so that solves the insurance problem.

I'm afraid no it doesn't solve the Travel insurance problem -
What you are quoting above is about Cover that is supplied if the pax are already away on their Hols and then an FCO advice comes into force -
Nothing to do with advance bookings or imminent upcoming travel, which is the problem now with Jet2 and TUI basically now cancelling Portugal (except FNC) and Turkey for the rest of the S20 season which included the last high season peak bookings of the OCT Half term which is a big loss of cash £££ to Tour Operators.

The only places left to visit for the remainder of S20 package holiday on the 'safe to go-list' is something like CFU, RHO, ATH a few other Greece airports, and Italy.

06 OCT In a statement, Jet2 said: "Due to the current government travel advice, we have taken the decision to extend the suspension of flights and holidays to the Canary Islands (Tenerife, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura and Gran Canaria) up to and including October 31st. "For bookings due to travel to Spain & the Canary Islands from 1st November onwards, we will provide an additional update once we receive further update from the government.

hec7or
7th Oct 2020, 18:05
Source?

Most of Cooks Holidays seem to be with Easyjet

Jonty
7th Oct 2020, 18:19
I'm afraid no it doesn't solve the Travel insurance problem -
What you are quoting above is about Cover that is supplied if the pax are already away on their Hols and then an FCO advice comes into force -
Nothing to do with advance bookings or imminent upcoming travel, which is the problem now with Jet2 and TUI basically now cancelling Portugal (except FNC) and Turkey for the rest of the S20 season which included the last high season peak bookings of the OCT Half term which is a big loss of cash £££ to Tour Operators.

The only places left to visit for the remainder of S20 package holiday on the 'safe to go-list' is something like CFU, RHO, ATH a few other Greece airports, and Italy.

06 OCT In a statement, Jet2 said: "Due to the current government travel advice, we have taken the decision to extend the suspension of flights and holidays to the Canary Islands (Tenerife, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura and Gran Canaria) up to and including October 31st. "For bookings due to travel to Spain & the Canary Islands from 1st November onwards, we will provide an additional update once we receive further update from the government.

Jet2 travel insurance will cover you if you chose to travel against FCO advice, if you have one of their single trip policies.

https://www.jet2.com/flights/insurance?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Retail&utm_term=Insurance&utm_content=FCDO

” (https://www.jet2.com/flights/insurance?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Retail&utm_term=Insurance&utm_content=FCDO)And with our single trip policies, you're covered if you go away against FCDO travel advice for COVID-19”

macdo
8th Oct 2020, 10:26
Thats the most sensible thing I have seen a travel company do since this all started, however, with all the bells and whistles, I'd like to know the price and I'd read the small print very carefully.

EDIT
To answer my own question for a 5* 55 yr old with no medical issues for 7 nights. £55 which seems very reasonable to me.

Fostex
8th Oct 2020, 10:48
I'd also consider the wider implications, Jet2 insurance might over you for the trip. However if you have other medical insurance at home and travel in breach of FCO guidance, suffering a malady that has sequelae requiring treatment at home, you may not be covered.

excrab
8th Oct 2020, 13:32
I'd also consider the wider implications, Jet2 insurance might over you for the trip. However if you have other medical insurance at home and travel in breach of FCO guidance, suffering a malady that has sequelae requiring treatment at home, you may not be covered.

I would think that for the relatively few people that may affect the best thing would be to enquire of your U.K. medical insurance provider. Travelling to a country to which the FCO advises not to travel due to COVID 19 doesn’t increase your chances of catching Malaria or Hepatitis (for example), and we are talking only about destinations that Jet2 fly to, not disease ridden war zones where the FCO might sensibly advise against travel. As we all know, it is more dangerous for anyone from the apparently COVID free areas of London and the South to travel to the North of England than to many holiday destinations 🙁

Hot 'n' High
12th Oct 2020, 13:40
I think most holiday companies are writing off this year and now looking to summer 2021.
All I can say is there better be a vaccine by then, or were looking at the total decimation of the U.K. aviation industry.

Seems some operators are not helping themselves this year by the sounds of it. Some friends (a couple) just returned from Greece on Sat with J2 having nervously decided to "go for it" in these odd times. Sadly, it seems like it was a nightmare of total chaos, unannounced accommodation changes, and general confusion (and dire standards generally) from start to finish - the flights were the only bits that worked as advertised/expected.

None of the issues appeared Covid-related - just appeared to be bad organisation on the ground with one poor Rep who, apparently, was beside herself as, despite her best efforts, she was simply overwhelmed by the sheer number of problems she was trying to resolve at once. The friends, who felt really sorry for the Rep, are now co-ordinating a group complaint from no less than 30 people who they met in various queues when trying to sort things out!!!!

No need to dissect what went wrong here - let J2 pick up the complaint when it hits them. But, surely, with things the way they are, Companies will have capacity to ensure those trips that do go ahead work well. Still, on the bright side, apparently it has made going back to work a pleasure!!!! :uhoh:

LBIA
12th Oct 2020, 14:33
Jet2 have just axed the entire UK - New York festive schedule which was due to start shortly.

CWL757
12th Oct 2020, 16:06
AGP and ALC cancelled until February. FAO is flight only until the end of season.
https://twitter.com/jet2tweets/status/1315668296377741312?s=20

ATNotts
12th Oct 2020, 16:10
Jet2 have just axed the entire UK - New York festive schedule which was due to start shortly.

And who can be surprised, the USA is demanding quarantine on arrival, and if you're going for a long weekend, there's little point if the quarantine period is longer than the trip. Added to that NY is in the throws of a second wave.

Jonty
12th Oct 2020, 18:40
And who can be surprised, the USA is demanding quarantine on arrival, and if you're going for a long weekend, there's little point if the quarantine period is longer than the trip. Added to that NY is in the throws of a second wave.

thought there was talk of a travel corridor to NYC in time for the holidays?

Jonty
12th Oct 2020, 18:42
Seems some operators are not helping themselves this year by the sounds of it. Some friends (a couple) just returned from Greece on Sat with J2 having nervously decided to "go for it" in these odd times. Sadly, it seems like it was a nightmare of total chaos, unannounced accommodation changes, and general confusion (and dire standards generally) from start to finish - the flights were the only bits that worked as advertised/expected.

None of the issues appeared Covid-related - just appeared to be bad organisation on the ground with one poor Rep who, apparently, was beside herself as, despite her best efforts, she was simply overwhelmed by the sheer number of problems she was trying to resolve at once. The friends, who felt really sorry for the Rep, are now co-ordinating a group complaint from no less than 30 people who they met in various queues when trying to sort things out!!!!

No need to dissect what went wrong here - let J2 pick up the complaint when it hits them. But, surely, with things the way they are, Companies will have capacity to ensure those trips that do go ahead work well. Still, on the bright side, apparently it has made going back to work a pleasure!!!! :uhoh:

That’s a real shame. Jet2 have a reputation for excellent customer service. I hope your friends get their issues sorted with minimal stress.

I have to say my experience of Jet2 could not be better.

Hot 'n' High
12th Oct 2020, 19:43
That’s a real shame. Jet2 have a reputation for excellent customer service. I hope your friends get their issues sorted with minimal stress.

I have to say my experience of Jet2 could not be better.

I really hope it gets sorted too - but more for Jet2's sake tbh.

I too have heard really good things about Jet2 over the years (sadly, not had the chance to use them myself) and, to their credit, they have been quiet an unsung success story in the Industry over the past few years which is fantastic to see and so I really found it v. odd myself. Seems our friends booked in one place, were changed to another on arrival without notice then were moved to a 3rd I think after "problems" in the 2nd. As I say, not for here to determine details - Jet2 can do that.

But, clearly, it could be locally caused issues with the local hotels etc, etc, etc - that's my gut feel. I guess a possible warning is, in these difficult times, they (Jet2 and others) can't rely on a local supply base (i.e. facilities etc) they have used in the past to come back on line efficiently and to then operate as they used to operate. Their suppliers (the hotels) may need better (more) oversight as things open up until "normality" returns. What you took for granted pre-Covid, may need extra investment (in terms of oversight/mentoring) as things slowly re-open to make sure your suppliers ramp up smoothly while meeting your standards. It sounds like the poor Rep at Hotel 2(?) was dumped in it and needs a medal for at least trying to help.

These are horrendous times to run an airline/travel business and absolutely dire for all staff and those in the associated supply chain. The one thing you need to do is to be really aware, as a front-end supplier like Jet2, of the difficulties your complete supply chain may have as it ramps up. It may not come back on line as quickly/smoothly as you'd like - I'd not be surprised if that may be the case here. Trouble is, those 30 people don't see it that way - they just think Jet2 is rubbish right now - which is probably unfair on Jet2.

Anyway, that's from this weekend - up to Jet2 to take this on board as appropriate. Cheers, H 'n' H

ATNotts
13th Oct 2020, 07:02
thought there was talk of a travel corridor to NYC in time for the holidays?

I recall it being discussed weeks ago, but with New York experiencing a new wave of infections, and the UK, especially the Midlands and North, where most of the Jet2 flights were originating, the whole concept of short breaks to NY are now fanciful.

occasional
13th Oct 2020, 08:24
Seems to me that Jet2, and others, could look at their flight timings during this recession - 6am takeoffs are not everybodys cup of tea.

Crewing Gimp
13th Oct 2020, 09:39
Seems to me that Jet2, and others, could look at their flight timings during this recession - 6am takeoffs are not everybodys cup of tea.

A high number of schedule timing changes have taken place, to increase the “friendly flight times” where the reduction of capacity allows.

occasional
13th Oct 2020, 14:21
One of the big problems with the market at the moment is the lack of any guarantee that you will be able to return - something which jet2 have just illustrated by abandoning rather than consolidating their flights to Spain and Portugal. Presumably there were people booked on these flights who now have to find some other way to get home.

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
15th Oct 2020, 07:44
One of the big problems with the market at the moment is the lack of any guarantee that you will be able to return - something which jet2 have just illustrated by abandoning rather than consolidating their flights to Spain and Portugal. Presumably there were people booked on these flights who now have to find some other way to get home.

Since Jet2 have not offered flights to Spain or Portugal for months, it is highly unlikely they have any guests wanting to get home from there. There may be a handful of seat only but that will be it. They are cancelling the entire programme. People will be offered an alternative destination or a refund,

LBIA
15th Oct 2020, 16:25
Jet2 have just announced a few new routes for summer 2021

Birmingham - Amsterdam = 2x weekly Mon & Fri
Birmingham - Jersey = 1x weekly Sat
East Midlands - Jersey = 1x weekly Sat
London Stansted - Jersey = 2x weekly Tue & Sat
Manchester - Jersey = 3x weekly Tue, Thu & Sat
Newcastle - Jersey = 1x weekly Sat

Ivan aromer
15th Oct 2020, 16:43
1700 meters is that not a bit challenging for the -800?

Big Tudor
15th Oct 2020, 17:20

Manage ok off JSI at the same length.

ROC10
15th Oct 2020, 18:05
I’d imagine STN-JER will be a pretty short flight.

stewyb
15th Oct 2020, 18:52

Even further for NCL although believe Jet2 have SFP 800’s!

SWBKCB
15th Oct 2020, 19:40
Enter Air had weight issues operating a NCL-JER charter last year and had to leave pax behind (though the charter was for the Newcastle Falcons, so maybe not average pax weights... :eek:)

excrab
15th Oct 2020, 20:17

Biggest issue isn’t take off, but potentially RLM with a wet runway.

rog747
16th Oct 2020, 07:31

Enter Air 737-800 flights leaving out of Skiathos JSI normally operate with split pax loads (Sunvil Holidays)
They fly LGW-JSI then on to Lemnos, Chios or Volos, then direct back to LGW thus a/c is light out of JSI and they fuel up at the next island.
Other 738 operators also do split loads at JSI -
Neos, Blue Panorama, TUI Fly, Smartwings, SAS, Transavia, all flying in to JSI then on to Mykonos, Karpathos, Chios, Lemnos or Santorini

If they do ever operate non-stop back to UK then usually flight will be not full, as both 73NG and A320/321 are payload limited out of JSI.
They will normally though Tech stop on the way home at places like SKG CFU PVK KVA VOL or occasionally ATH.
757 has no such issues operating in or out of JSI
Smartwings are using a 737-700 on Charter Flights to tiny Paros Island (1400m) from Prague, but fuel up at JTR for the return.
Payload limited to 120 pax (148 pax is full capacity)

737-800 and 737- MAX had been flying in and out of Jersey for a local Tour Operator to Spain and TFS in the recent past.
https://youtu.be/s2CYwP3hF0Y?t=17

UK - JER flights will likely not have loads of bags, nor need a load of fuel.
Jet2 maybe using their 737-300 which does not have too many issues in or out of JER

GrahamK
16th Oct 2020, 08:01
Enter Air 737-800 flights leaving out of Skiathos JSI normally operate with split pax loads (Sunvil Holidays)
They fly LGW-JSI then on to Lemnos, Chios or Volos, then direct back to LGW thus a/c is light out of JSI and they fuel up at the next island.
Other 738 operators also do split loads at JSI -
Neos, Blue Panorama, TUI Fly, Smartwings, SAS, Transavia, all flying in to JSI then on to Mykonos, Karpathos, Chios, Lemnos or Santorini

If they do ever operate non-stop back to UK then usually flight will be not full, as both 73NG and A320/321 are payload limited out of JSI.
They will normally though Tech stop on the way home at places like SKG CFU PVK KVA VOL or occasionally ATH.
757 has no such issues operating in or out of JSI
Smartwings are using a 737-700 on Charter Flights to tiny Paros Island (1400m) from Prague, but fuel up at JTR for the return.
Payload limited to 120 pax (148 pax is full capacity)

737-800 and 737- MAX had been flying in and out of Jersey for a local Tour Operator to Spain and TFS in the recent past.
https://youtu.be/s2CYwP3hF0Y?t=17

UK - JER flights will likely not have loads of bags, nor need a load of fuel.
Jet2 maybe using their 737-300 which does not have too many issues in or out of JER
The 733s are currently only based at LBA, and may have been retired by the time next year comes about

southside bobby
16th Oct 2020, 08:11
As advised no B733`s at STN & 4 positioning flights to operate twice a week removes part of the economic reality certainly when there are `800s STN based .

LBIA
16th Oct 2020, 09:00
Looks like Jet2 have axed the planned services from Manchester & London Stansted to Trivat in Montenegro & Zadar in Croatia for summer 2021

southside bobby
16th Oct 2020, 09:06
Local press enthusiastically covering the Jersey service.

For what it`s worth quote 6000 seats over 35 flights which equates to an `800 then & slightly seat limited but perhaps the figures quoted are rounded for press release.

But it is a B738 then which makes perfect commercial sense.

EXS still quoting 42 destinations from STN next year.

CWL757
16th Oct 2020, 09:16
Could some flights be operated on a W pattern with LBA on a 733?

ROC10
16th Oct 2020, 12:59
Could some flights be operated on a W pattern with LBA on a 733?
I don’t think Jersey has (yet) been announced for LBA.

jorvik
16th Oct 2020, 14:21
I don’t think Jersey has (yet) been announced for LBA.

LBA was the only airport Jet2 flew from to Jersey prior to the new bases being added, and LBA will continue next year, although it is normally flown on a 300

Mr @ Spotty M
16th Oct 2020, 14:39
I don't think the actual loads are going to be the main concern making money, the main concern is going to be the weather.
There will be plenty of weekends when they won't be able to get in or out because of the weather.

stewyb
16th Oct 2020, 15:57
I don't think the actual loads are going to be the main concern making money, the main concern is going to be the weather.
There will be plenty of weekends when they won't be able to get in or out because of the weather.

what between May - Sept?

ROC10
16th Oct 2020, 16:15
Surely if there will be “plenty” of days they won’t be able to get in/out, it would make no sense to operate it? Why would they launch a new route if there was a significant chance they wouldn’t be able to get there? That would cause all sorts of problems for passengers and crew, as well as obviously the airline as there would be significant cost associated with diversion/cancellation.

ROC10
16th Oct 2020, 16:17
LBA was the only airport Jet2 flew from to Jersey prior to the new bases being added, and LBA will continue next year, although it is normally flown on a 300
Apologies, I didn’t realise they already had a LBA-JER flight. In that case, yes they may operate W-patterns. Flight timings would surely be a giveaway?

737James
16th Oct 2020, 17:36
I used to love the Jersey W patterns at Bmibaby EMA-JER-CWL-JER-EMA that was a nice day out and we used to quite often see the same pax inbound as than what was on the outbound.

We had an aircraft go tech one week and spend time chatting to some of the pax, Who advised it was perfect for them they could fly to Jersey have their meeting and be back at home by 6pm and we used to have some regular customers that came on the Duty Free run each week

Mr @ Spotty M
16th Oct 2020, 21:41
Yes "stewyb" l guarantee that there will be days between May and September that they will not be able to land.
I remember from way back when BMI used to operate from Luton to Jersey during the summer months, when they had long delays and the odd day they could not get in.
Some might remember BA operating a Tristar into Jersey to try and clear a backlog due to weather cancellations.
"ROC10" Airlines will always operate to airports that are prone to weather issues, even if some might say it makes no sense.
Jet2 already operate to an airport that some might say is a risk because of weather, Funchal is that airport.

Wycombe
17th Oct 2020, 10:52
Some might remember BA operating a Tristar into Jersey to try and clear a backlog due to weather cancellations.

I remember this, as a young lad who happened to be on holiday in Guernsey at the time. I think it was in August, late 70's. It made the news on both islands.

milhouse999
18th Oct 2020, 14:32
3x JET2 flights on Saturday 31 October from MAN to RHODES (and more than one a day on other days too) - maxing out the few destinations they can get to for a final hurrah this summer?

irishlad06
18th Oct 2020, 23:37
Flights to HER added back into the schedule for a few weeks too. People still want to go away. The A321 made its first trip to PFO yesterday from MAN and went out full, all with negative COVID tests too. People just want to get away for a well deserved break wherever they can go.

rotorwills
19th Oct 2020, 15:14
Flights to HER added back into the schedule for a few weeks too. People still want to go away. The A321 made its first trip to PFO today from MAN and went out full, all with negative COVID tests too. People just want to get away for a well deserved break wherever they can go.

Don't think you are correct, no Airbus flight to PFO today! P

Flitefone
19th Oct 2020, 15:49
[QUOTE=Mr @ Spotty M;10905959]Yes "stewyb" l guarantee that there will be days between May and September that they will not be able to land.
I remember from way back when BMI used to operate from Luton to Jersey during the summer months, when they had long delays and the odd day they could not get in.

This might help, August 1979 I believe. 16000 passengers were stranded on Jersey, I took this on the day.

FF

blob:https://www.pprune.org/ff1fa122-23d0-402b-8169-1afe07ccfb77

Flying Hi
19th Oct 2020, 17:27
[QUOTE=Mr @ Spotty M;10905959]Yes "stewyb" l guarantee that there will be days between May and September that they will not be able to land.

This might help, August 1979 I believe. 16000 passengers were stranded on Jersey, I took this on the day.

FF

blob:https://www.pprune.org/ff1fa122-23d0-402b-8169-1afe07ccfb77

Link doesn't work. Try again?

ROC10
19th Oct 2020, 17:39
Don't think you are correct, no Airbus flight to PFO today! P
It was yesterday (18th).

Flitefone
19th Oct 2020, 19:23
[QUOTE=Flitefone;10907511]

Link doesn't work. Try again?

Here you go, N323EA, operated by BA. registered to Eastern Airlines, on a rescue flight, after a foggy Battle of Flowers weekend!

FF

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/tristar_n323ea_at_jersey_23c85f294702f4bec54365fcfb07ec76c8a 58bed.jpg

castleford tiger
20th Oct 2020, 18:14
Since Jet2 have not offered flights to Spain or Portugal for months, it is highly unlikely they have any guests wanting to get home from there. There may be a handful of seat only but that will be it. They are cancelling the entire programme. People will be offered an alternative destination or a refund,

that's a load of rubbish.........Faro has been on for a month after bridge went.
No idea why as load to leeds was never more than 50 and as low as 9.

irishlad06
21st Oct 2020, 14:09
Further cancellations for next summer

BFS - CFU / ADB / NAP / LCA
BHX - INN (summer only cancelled - still to operate during ski season)
EMA - LEI / MLA / PSA
MAN - INN (summer only cancelled - still to operate during winter ski season )
STN - EGC / LEI / PUY

andrewn
21st Oct 2020, 21:58
It was yesterday (18th).

My wife went out Saturday from MAN with U2, said the plane was pretty empty.

Flying Hi
21st Oct 2020, 22:00
My wife went out Saturday from MAN with U2, said the plane was pretty empty.
What, the whole Band?:O

2Planks
22nd Oct 2020, 16:22
When are the Canaries going back on sale as they are off the naughty step.

RVF750
22nd Oct 2020, 16:31
The midnight oil will be burning in HQ tonight.

737James
22nd Oct 2020, 16:41
I have a feeling that Tui were given a heads up on the Canaries restrictions being lifted, As I was looking at holidays to Cyprus earlier this week for Sun- Wed but Tui were really pushing Tenerife and Gran Canaria in the searches which I found strange as they had been off sale for such a long while. I am sure Jet2 will be able to react quick to get flights and holidays on sale for the half term peak

2Planks
22nd Oct 2020, 16:41
I see they are now on sale. Midnight oil not required. The speed of reaction is impressive.

Vokes55
22nd Oct 2020, 17:08
I have a feeling that Tui were given a heads up on the Canaries restrictions being lifted, As I was looking at holidays to Cyprus earlier this week for Sun- Wed but Tui were really pushing Tenerife and Gran Canaria in the searches which I found strange as they had been off sale for such a long while. I am sure Jet2 will be able to react quick to get flights and holidays on sale for the half term peak

No heads up, all travel companies are informed of changes to travel corridors at 1640 on Thursday.

However, all travel companies also have the ability, like your or I, to track the infection rates in destinations and make decisions accordingly. Months of dealing with this destination roulette has probably lead to some companies working out ways to better keep money in the business. TUI have probably worked out that it’s better to cancel holidays after the Thursday announcement the week before than cancel months at a time and then be forced to reinstate destinations at short notice, like Jet2 have to do now. Giving the customer the option to amend leaves the ball in their court as to whether they want the certainty of a “safer” destination, or wait to see if their original holiday can go ahead.

Cuillin Hills
22nd Oct 2020, 17:42
Jet2 Holidays to the Canaries were only cancelled up to the 31st October, Vokes - not ‘months of holidays’ to reinstate as you claim.

H44
22nd Oct 2020, 17:55
He means a month at a time, ie Jet2 won’t have any canaries flights for half term as they cancelled the whole of October. I suppose they could always add some in for this weekend.

OzzyOzBorn
22nd Oct 2020, 18:45
I wonder whether Jet2 are aware that when a respondent completes their emailed online survey ("How do you feel about travelling?"), they are redirected directly to the Jet2holidays homepage and not to the 'register your details' for our draw for two free flights as promised? Never mind, I never win a prize draw like that anyway! And I'm quite happy to provide them with feedback re prospective new bookings. But I suggest that they do repair the link to the post-survey prize draw before other respondents get too upset.

Vokes55
22nd Oct 2020, 19:12
Jet2 Holidays to the Canaries were only cancelled up to the 31st October, Vokes - not ‘months of holidays’ to reinstate as you claim.

As explained one post below yours.

However not even the most brainwashed Jet2 fanboy or employee could deny that cancelling the largest market for October half term a month in advance was short sighted.

LBAflyer22
22nd Oct 2020, 20:45
As explained one post below yours.

However not even the most brainwashed Jet2 fanboy or employee could deny that cancelling the largest market for October half term a month in advance was short sighted.

When the government was on its ban everywhere mode do you blame them?

Dragging out cancellations for a week, every week over cancelling for a sustained period of time is better for business & customer service. Or maybe I’m an idiot for thinking that way.

ATNotts
23rd Oct 2020, 07:58
When the government was on its ban everywhere mode do you blame them?

Dragging out cancellations for a week, every week over cancelling for a sustained period of time is better for business & customer service. Or maybe I’m an idiot for thinking that way.

No, you're absolutely right. I am actually surprised that, given the dire Covid situation in Austria, and particularly around Innsbruck, and the associated resorts, thy haven't scrubbed the ski flights for most of the season already. Thing aren't going to get better, you only have to look at how, even in Germany, where they (and I suspect we) thought they could hack it, numbers are seriously on the rise.

N707ZS
23rd Oct 2020, 08:08
Are there any plans to retire the early 737-800s from the fleet.

Fly757X
23rd Oct 2020, 09:32
Are there any plans to retire the early 737-800s from the fleet.

Not likely. There is still 7 -300s milling around so if anything they’ll be more than likely going first. There is still a few used -800s due to arrive from memory.

Flying Hi
23rd Oct 2020, 11:19
Not likely. There is still 7 -300s milling around so if anything they’ll be more than likely going first. There is still a few used -800s due to arrive from memory.
Any with 'life' left in them might be good on Jersey for 2021 trips. Any reason why not?

Fly757X
23rd Oct 2020, 11:55
Any with 'life' left in them might be good on Jersey for 2021 trips. Any reason why not?

I was only giving my interpretation on the matter considering none of them are operating as of present. G-GDFN is away in DUB getting a C-Check so hopefully they will still be around come S21. As much as I love the -300s, if the demand isn't there overall next summer for 7 extra frames then there is little need for them. Providing this isn't the case they'll almost certainly be operating LBA-JER. However, if the airline is looking at shedding 737s no matter if the year is 2021 or 2022, the obvious first port of call is the -300s, before any of the early -800s leave (providing there isn't a defined technical reason for one to leave.)

SWBKCB
23rd Oct 2020, 12:15
It would depend on the respective cost of ownership of the different a/c. I would imagine there are many numbers being crunched to match up capacity with any number of possible supply scenarios for next summer.

Vokes55
23rd Oct 2020, 14:23
No, you're absolutely right. I am actually surprised that, given the dire Covid situation in Austria, and particularly around Innsbruck, and the associated resorts, thy haven't scrubbed the ski flights for most of the season already. Thing aren't going to get better, you only have to look at how, even in Germany, where they (and I suspect we) thought they could hack it, numbers are seriously on the rise.

Which is why you’re on a spotters website and not in airline or tour operator management. Cancelling ski holidays 3-5 months in advance, and letting all that money leave the business in the form of refunds, and worse still, go to the competition is commercial suicide. Keeping that money in the business for another 2-4 months could be the difference between survival and not in these times.

ATNotts
23rd Oct 2020, 15:35
Which is why you’re on a spotters website and not in airline or tour operator management. Cancelling ski holidays 3-5 months in advance, and letting all that money leave the business in the form of refunds, and worse still, go to the competition is commercial suicide. Keeping that money in the business for another 2-4 months could be the difference between survival and not in these times.

I know more than a little about cash flow, I also know more than a little about customer service. Fact is though that you can't use cash you're more than likely to have to return to punters unless you're pretty certain there will be more coming in, which presently in this industry you simply can't. As for customer service, being up front with customers will buy you loyalty; holding on to cash then procrastinating over returning it to disappointed customers will lose you good will faster than you can say "Jack Robinson". It is, I appreciate, a difficult balancing act.

Personally I'm not giving any money in the form of deposits, or credit card numbers to any travel related business presently, be they a foreign holiday operator, a UK hotel or for that matter the pub restaurant down the road for the dreaded "Christmas Fayre". I have absolutely no confidence my booking would go ahead, and little confidence my money would be returned in full in a timely manner. That's not to tar Jet2 with any brush, I don't book IT holidays, and won't fly for as long as masks are required in airport and on board aircraft.

Vokes55
23rd Oct 2020, 18:15
I know more than a little about cash flow, I also know more than a little about customer service. Fact is though that you can't use cash you're more than likely to have to return to punters unless you're pretty certain there will be more coming in, which presently in this industry you simply can't. As for customer service, being up front with customers will buy you loyalty; holding on to cash then procrastinating over returning it to disappointed customers will lose you good will faster than you can say "Jack Robinson". It is, I appreciate, a difficult balancing act.

But what’s so negative about keeping the bookings active and only cancelling them when they know for sure they won’t go ahead, which is currently the Thursday before the departure date, whilst giving the customer the option to change their holiday if they want what they deem as more certainty?

One might deem it to be negative customer service if a holiday is cancelled which turns out to be completely fine to go ahead, as has happened with the Canaries.

The fact is that Jet2 are the only airline that’s had to restore their entire Canaries program for this week, so they’ve already started at a disadvantage to everybody else.

Flying Wild
23rd Oct 2020, 19:07

Jet2 absolutely segregate customer deposits/payments until a holiday/flight is taken. Only at that point does the money enter the business. This is one of the reasons why the company was able and willing to so promptly refund customers when holidays/flights were being cancelled.

Vokes55
23rd Oct 2020, 19:18
I have a current account and a savings account. If the current account is empty and I need to pay my mortgage or I lose my house, it’s coming out of my savings account.

If a company is on its last legs, money in the business is money in the business. It’s going to be a long winter for most airlines, handing money back, potentially unnecessarily, 4 months in advance that may end up with a competitor isn’t good for business.

Besides, a ski holiday is a ski holiday. If you cancel a holiday 4 months in advance, you’ll probably be giving a refund. If you cancel a week in advance but can offer a similar holiday in a different country, chances are a good 50%+ will take it.

LBAflyer22
23rd Oct 2020, 20:12
One might deem it to be negative customer service if a holiday is cancelled which turns out to be completely fine to go ahead, as has happened with the Canaries.

The fact is that Jet2 are the only airline that’s had to restore their entire Canaries program for this week, so they’ve already started at a disadvantage to everybody else.

Comparing cancelling canaries to ski routes is like apple and pears. For ski routes I am with you and others that cancelling this far out is commercial suicide. However I completely disagree with you regarding to canaries and it appears you seem to forget that a major part of the business model for Jet2 is the Jet2holidays brand.

Even in the beginning of this week no one would of seen the canaries coming back to life as they did. TUI did the exact same with cancelling but they are quicker maybe to mobilise with this news due to having the german arm of their business already operating. I wouldn’t say anyone has the advantage, yes airlines may see full loads this Weekend, however there are a lot of people who maybe are not looking at this week but the week after. The fact that already in travel weekly, with the companies they did a call with, jet2holidays trade has reported 5,000 holidays sold just shows you everything you need to know.

Vokes55
23rd Oct 2020, 21:01
Comparing cancelling canaries to ski routes is like apple and pears. For ski routes I am with you and others that cancelling this far out is commercial suicide. However I completely disagree with you regarding to canaries and it appears you seem to forget that a major part of the business model for Jet2 is the Jet2holidays brand.

Even in the beginning of this week no one would of seen the canaries coming back to life as they did. TUI did the exact same with cancelling but they are quicker maybe to mobilise with this news due to having the german arm of their business already operating. I wouldn’t say anyone has the advantage, yes airlines may see full loads this Weekend, however there are a lot of people who maybe are not looking at this week but the week after. The fact that already in travel weekly, with the companies they did a call with, jet2holidays trade has reported 5,000 holidays sold just shows you everything you need to know.

Actually a lot of people did see this coming. The rate for Lanzarote and Fuerteventura has been below 20/100,000 in 7 days for the past four weeks. I don’t think anybody saw the whole lot coming back, but TUI certainly never took FUE/ACE off sale for this weekend.

5000 holidays is nothing. That’s 26 full 737s, or half a day’s program in normal times. Fact is, TUI, easyJet, BA and Ryanair will all have flights to the Canaries this weekend which were never off sale, and aren’t relying solely on last minute sales.

AirportPlanner1
23rd Oct 2020, 21:35
Actually a lot of people did see this coming. The rate for Lanzarote and Fuerteventura has been below 20/100,000 in 7 days for the past four weeks. I don’t think anybody saw the whole lot coming back, but TUI certainly never took FUE/ACE off sale for this weekend.

5000 holidays is nothing. That’s 26 full 737s, or half a day’s program in normal times. Fact is, TUI, easyJet, BA and Ryanair will all have flights to the Canaries this weekend which were never off sale, and aren’t relying solely on last minute sales.

But that is making an assumption the market now is behaving how it always has which isn’t the case. For one thing a lot of holidays aren’t new bookings and cash but postponed ones from earlier in the year. Who in their right mind would book more than a couple of weeks ahead? Yes Canaries have opened now but who’s to say they won’t do a Portugal and close again in a month or less? So last minute is now the dominant force.

On the supply side not having anything scheduled leaves you nimble and able to react quickly to opportunities. TUI and others could be lumbered with schedules which aren’t optimum, or face the cost and customer service risk of having to rebook and refund

Vokes55
23rd Oct 2020, 22:05
But that is making an assumption the market now is behaving how it always has which isn’t the case. For one thing a lot of holidays aren’t new bookings and cash but postponed ones from earlier in the year. Who in their right mind would book more than a couple of weeks ahead? Yes Canaries have opened now but who’s to say they won’t do a Portugal and close again in a month or less? So last minute is now the dominant force.

On the supply side not having anything scheduled leaves you nimble and able to react quickly to opportunities. TUI and others could be lumbered with schedules which aren’t optimum, or face the cost and customer service risk of having to rebook and refund

I think you’re scraping the barrel now. So why not just cancel everything that’s over a week away and put on a whole program a week in advance based on what’s open?

Keeping existing bookings is just as important as creating new ones. As has been said, giving all customers the option to amend if they’d rather have a booking to a “safer” destination nullifies then customer service argument.

Jet2 fanboys are going to have to accept that they got this one wrong. If not tonight, then tomorrow when two fully booked TUI 787s are on their way to Fuerteventura whilst Jet2 are offering nothing.

D9009
24th Oct 2020, 11:01
two fully booked TUI 787s are on their way to Fuerteventura.

I wouldn't get too excited about that, for one thing they'll be returning to the UK empty and for another thing, many of the passengers on board will have paid for their holiday months ago so there will not be a lot of new revenue being generated.

Vokes55
24th Oct 2020, 16:06
I wouldn't get too excited about that, for one thing they'll be returning to the UK empty and for another thing, many of the passengers on board will have paid for their holiday months ago so there will not be a lot of new revenue being generated.

TUI and Jet2 (and other charter airlines of the past) have operated empty sectors at the start and end of seasons since the dawn of time.

So what have we established from the Jet2 fanboys then. All holidays should be cancelled and reinstated a week in advance, but then they should be cancelled too because the first flight after the lifting of restrictions would involve an empty sector back.

As for your second point, this has been explained many times, even in my last post which you quoted. Keeping money in the business is just as important as generating new revenue, especially in these times. I think TUI will be far happier with their approach than Jet2 will be.

pamann
24th Oct 2020, 16:41

For the business that’s probably somewhere around the £450k mark of refunds that no longer have to happen. That alone from just these two flights.

Like has been mentioned, most leisure flights return empty after the first flight of the season, just as they depart the UK empty at the end of the season. It’s common practice.

irishlad06
24th Oct 2020, 22:00
All B757’s apart from two that need to go for heavy maintenance checks are going to Spain - Murcia over the winter from the 3rd of November onwards for some warmer weather.- planning to ferry 1 out each day.

D9009
24th Oct 2020, 22:28
Like has been mentioned, most leisure flights return empty after the first flight of the season, just as they depart the UK empty at the end of the season. It’s common practice.

but EZY,RYR and your other competitors avoid this 1970s business model.

pamann
24th Oct 2020, 23:51

Yeah they might do. But for instance when EZY/FR operate their last outbound of the season to say Kefalonia from London, do you really think it’s packed to the brim? From past experience these flights have very few passengers (if any). In some instances this costs the airline more in airport charges (ie check in etc) than it would to just operate the flight empty.

There really is very little outbound demand on say the 31st October to Kefalonia or similar.

Vokes55
25th Oct 2020, 02:52
Besides, the cost of empty sectors at the beginning/end of the season is simply included in everybody’s holiday price. It’s not a surprising, unaccounted for cost to the company.

With a bit of tactical scheduling, some seasonal ferry flights can often be avoided. For example the first Winter season flight to Egypt would return via Crete, picking up the last Summer passengers on its way home.

D9009
25th Oct 2020, 07:38
Yeah they might do. But for instance when EZY/FR operate their last outbound of the season to say Kefalonia from London, do you really think it’s packed to the brim? From past experience these flights have very few passengers (if any).

fair point, well made.

AirportPlanner1
25th Oct 2020, 08:13

Really?! How? I’ve seen 8 pax jump on an EZY to Menorca, two of which had usefully purchased speedy boarding

TOM100
25th Oct 2020, 08:27
I doubt they would operate from Egypt via Crete unless they changed the crew - they don’t have enough duty hours.....

ATNotts
25th Oct 2020, 08:27
Besides, the cost of empty sectors at the beginning/end of the season is simply included in everybody’s holiday price. It’s not a surprising, unaccounted for cost to the company.

With a bit of tactical scheduling, some seasonal ferry flights can often be avoided. For example the first Winter season flight to Egypt would return via Crete, picking up the last Summer passengers on its way home.

I suppose it depends upon whether Jet2 views it's business as an IT operators that sells seat only as a side line, or a scheduled operator that sells blocks of seats to it's in-house IT operator. As I recall it started as the latter, but now appears to have morphed into the former. Ryanair a definitely very much an airline first; but it looks as though EasyJet are looking looking to move much more in the direction and the package holiday sector.

nowhereasfiled
25th Oct 2020, 10:03
I doubt they would operate from Egypt via Crete unless they changed the crew - they don’t have enough duty hours.....

Time it right, and you can get 13hours 30minutes out of a crew on a 3 Sector extended FDP

TOM100
25th Oct 2020, 10:21
Time it right, and you can get 13hours 30minutes out of a crew on a 3 Sector extended FDP

Yeah possibly but lots of scope for it to go t*ts up......esp if flying to MAN or Scotland

Mr Good Cat
25th Oct 2020, 17:57
I suppose it depends upon whether Jet2 views it's business as an IT operators that sells seat only as a side line, or a scheduled operator that sells blocks of seats to it's in-house IT operator. As I recall it started as the latter, but now appears to have morphed into the former. Ryanair a definitely very much an airline first; but it looks as though EasyJet are looking looking to move much more in the direction and the package holiday sector.
Having had experience of the easyJet package holiday, I'm not sure that it can work out for them.

Package holidays for the most part are aimed at families and couples who want an easy experience where everything is looked after for you and you can sit back and relax from the minute you arrive at the airport until you leave UK arrivals a couple of weeks later. To ensure the customer gets that experience you have to invest in making your operation one that focuses on the customer and getting repeat business, not one that focuses on the absolute bottom line of cost. Since EZY are a true low-cost operator (which will still be most of their business), they always have and always will focus their airline on that bottom line - the cheapest handling contract, the cheapest staff at the other end, cheapest transport experience to resorts, and so on. Everything is a cheap 3rd party supplier to maximise that profit against cheaper airfares on it's seat only stuff.

Jet2 / J2Holidays operates in the opposite way, vertical integration with most of the operation done by in-house departments - total focus on providing the best customer experience to ensure repeat custom. The seat only stuff will never make the same profit margins as EZY as it's a whole different model.

As I say, I've done the EZY package and it was a painful experience - one that might suit young couples on city breaks with different expectations, but certainly not the majority of IT customers such as families and older couples who have saved up all year for their relaxing week in the Med.

castleford tiger
27th Oct 2020, 14:32
Anyone know how many aircraft are fully owned and paid for in the Jet 2 group.
thanks in advance

Brian Pern
27th Oct 2020, 17:30
Anyone know how many aircraft are fully owned and paid for in the Jet 2 group.
thanks in advance
Not sure, but this may help, Page 22 of Dart Leasing and Finance Limited, Annual accounts 2019, shows total borrowings of $ 706,727,000.00

I would say more, but for some strange reason, I am vilified as anti Jet2 by some members, nothing could be further than the truth, I was involved in the start of Jet 2 and have a lot of time for them. But people hate the truth, its like poetry.

castleford tiger
27th Oct 2020, 19:00
Brian

its as clear as mud!
The answer I think is Zero they are all leased from the parent company?

is that right

Brian Pern
27th Oct 2020, 19:03
Hi Castleford,
Yep that's my understanding, much like lots of other airlines. Of course Dart Leasing are a Ltd Company with only 3 officers, I think. Totally disconnected from the airline/holiday operation. Makes.life easier if you need to liquidate. Let's hope.not though.

LBAflyer22
27th Oct 2020, 21:10
Not sure, but this may help, Page 22 of Dart Leasing and Finance Limited, Annual accounts 2019, shows total borrowings of $ 706,727,000.00

I would say more, but for some strange reason, I am vilified as anti Jet2 by some members, nothing could be further than the truth, I was involved in the start of Jet 2 and have a lot of time for them. But people hate the truth, its like poetry.

I'm not sure what Dart Leasing to Jet2plc direct ownership is, but if you just look at fleet it's self I know that the 757-200 are bought outright along with the 737-300's. I'm not sure on the chunk of 737-800's are owned or leased. I would imagine some of the very first ones are cash bought by the company, the rest are probably leased.

DjerbaDevil
28th Oct 2020, 18:30
I'm not sure what Dart Leasing to Jet2plc direct ownership is, but if you just look at fleet it's self I know that the 757-200 are bought outright along with the 737-300's. I'm not sure on the chunk of 737-800's are owned or leased. I would imagine some of the very first ones are cash bought by the company, the rest are probably leased.

If we assume that the Dart Group is the holding company for all JET2 business, funding and leasing, then aircraft leased from external lessors are 15 B738s and 3 Airbus321s (two of which are in storage). The names of the individual lessors are available.

sdbelgium
30th Oct 2020, 13:36
Heard through the grapevine 6x B757 and 5x B733 will be flown to Murcia over the course of next month. Presumably for storage?

jethro15
30th Oct 2020, 14:08
Heard through the grapevine 6x B757 and 5x B733 will be flown to Murcia over the course of next month. Presumably for storage?
That's correct

Flying Hi
30th Oct 2020, 14:12
That's correct
Is that a euphemism for Scrap and part out or do they have any life left in them that might interest say 3rd world countries?

garry8g
30th Oct 2020, 14:58
Is that a euphemism for Scrap and part out or do they have any life left in them that might interest say 3rd world countries?

They will be back to Jet2, they are only being moved to a warmer climate for storage during the winter months.

Flying Hi
30th Oct 2020, 16:11
They will be back to Jet2, they are only being moved to a warmer climate for storage during the winter months.
Oh what a wonderful thought!!

Ivan aromer
31st Oct 2020, 10:48
Does that mean all the 75 crews will be restreamed or laid off?

garry8g
31st Oct 2020, 12:48
Oh what a wonderful thought!!

Nothing wrong with these aircraft, they are well maintained and looked after!

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
31st Oct 2020, 15:17
J2 are crewing for what they think they need for the winter. I think UK aviation will be shut down again within a matter of days anyway. Hope Rishi has got very deep pockets.

ROC10
31st Oct 2020, 16:23
Nothing wrong with these aircraft, they are well maintained and looked after!
I think the question is whether they will ever be needed in the foreseeable future. These aircraft are surely prime candidates for withdrawal should things fail to improve, or get worse as looks likely. The only blessing for now is that the Canaries are back, but that may be short-lived, and regardless, demand this winter (and possibly next summer) will be far lower than usual.

DjerbaDevil
31st Oct 2020, 18:41
I think the question is whether they will ever be needed in the foreseeable future. These aircraft are surely prime candidates for withdrawal should things fail to improve, or get worse as looks likely. The only blessing for now is that the Canaries are back, but that may be short-lived, and regardless, demand this winter (and possibly next summer) will be far lower than usual.

Agreed that "should things fail to improve", that the B733s and the B757s would be prime candidates for withdrawal BUT if the JET2 management considered that the summer of 2021 was going to be a disaster. However, before retiring wholly owned aircraft that are in good condition, surely it would have been better to delay or even stop the recent leasing of two A321s and /or return some of the 15 B738s they lease from external lessors.

The snippets of news are that summer 2021 is shaping up very well and that all the fleet will be needed to cover the season......things could of course be upset if the COVID-19 vaccine is delayed and even the BREXIT negotiations could cause a major issue but as things stand at the moment, it is said, that bookings for summer 2021 are good.

ROC10
31st Oct 2020, 19:14
Agreed that "should things fail to improve", that the B733s and the B757s would be prime candidates for withdrawal BUT if the JET2 management considered that the summer of 2021 was going to be a disaster. However, before retiring wholly owned aircraft that are in good condition, surely it would have been better to delay or even stop the recent leasing of two A321s and /or return some of the 15 B738s they lease from external lessors.

The snippets of news are that summer 2021 is shaping up very well and that all the fleet will be needed to cover the season......things could of course be upset if the COVID-19 vaccine is delayed and even the BREXIT negotiations could cause a major issue but as things stand at the moment, it is said, that bookings for summer 2021 are good.
Apparently they weren’t able to get out of the A321 leases but I’m sure they really wished they could. Regarding the newer 738s, assuming Jet2 survive the next year or two, these will be the core fleet going forward and are more sustainable in the longer term.

Mr @ Spotty M
31st Oct 2020, 23:02
Looks like all holidays are going to be cancelled from Thursday.

GAZMO
31st Oct 2020, 23:55
Hopefully flights from Northern Ireland will continue as no restrictions in place at moment

inOban
1st Nov 2020, 00:29
And Scotland?

ROC10
1st Nov 2020, 00:33
And Scotland?
The announcements tonight don’t apply to Scotland but I think from Monday, under the new tiered system, non-essential international travel may be banned from Tier 3+ areas. I may be wrong though, I’d need to check. TUI have flown a 737 up to ABZ in preparation for a Sunday flight to TFS which would suggest they were planning to operate under the new tiered system, although I believe Aberdeen is Tier 2.

redED
1st Nov 2020, 09:47
J2 are crewing for what they think they need for the winter. I think UK aviation will be shut down again within a matter of days anyway. Hope Rishi has got very deep pockets.

This is incorrect, Jet2 are fully crewed (flight deck wise) for their summer 2021 schedule.

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
1st Nov 2020, 14:16
This is incorrect, Jet2 are fully crewed (flight deck wise) for their summer 2021 schedule.
That is correct. But lots of people aren't being brought back on line for the winter as they aren't required.

Golf--Lima--Papa
1st Nov 2020, 15:41
The announcements tonight don’t apply to Scotland but I think from Monday, under the new tiered system, non-essential international travel may be banned from Tier 3+ areas. I may be wrong though, I’d need to check. TUI have flown a 737 up to ABZ in preparation for a Sunday flight to TFS which would suggest they were planning to operate under the new tiered system, although I believe Aberdeen is Tier 2.

Figures in Scotland have been relatively positive this last week. The exponential rise in cases has stopped. Cases have levelled off at around 1000-1200 a day for the past week or so. Hospital admissions are only averaging around 40-50 admissions a day. On top of all that, ICU numbers have been steady at around 80 patients for the last week.

Scotland seem to be managing the second wave well, the Scottish Government have said they’re cautiously optimistic. Therefore, further more restrictive measures don’t appear to be on the horizon.

mike current
1st Nov 2020, 16:05
Figures in Scotland have been relatively positive this last week. The exponential rise in cases has stopped. Cases have levelled off at around 1000-1200 a day for the past week or so. Hospital admissions are only averaging around 40-50 admissions a day. On top of all that, ICU numbers have been steady at around 80 patients for the last week.

Scotland seem to be managing the second wave well, the Scottish Government have said they’re cautiously optimistic. Therefore, further more restrictive measures don’t appear to be on the horizon.

Number of cases in Scotland are pretty high considering the central belt has effectively been in soft lockdown for the past 3 weeks.

Golf--Lima--Papa
1st Nov 2020, 17:14
Number of cases in Scotland are pretty high considering the central belt has effectively been in soft lockdown for the past 3 weeks.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/750x1334/c41d5b69_5719_4b96_9bc7_ca6e07bc7d57_7a8ed8504cc2f388c98cd94 fb678fa7c94d12fa6.png
Number of positive cases clearly going in the right direction.

Graph is from the Scottish Government website.

To get back on track, this data is clear evidence that Jet2 have a great opportunity to continue flights from Scotland despite the English lockdown.

irishlad06
2nd Nov 2020, 09:39
Today sees the start of the B737-300’s positioning out to RMU for winter storage. FM currently on route to there now. 1st B757-200 going tomorrow - GLSAN from MAN.

Flying Hi
2nd Nov 2020, 10:08
Today sees the start of the B737-300’s positioning out to RMU for winter storage. FM currently on route to there now. 1st B757-200 going tomorrow - GLSAN from MAN.
Totally, truly anorak question, sorry - how does the flight crew get back to UK? Commercial as Pax with another airline or is there another (unseen on FR) Jet2 aircraft running with it?
Fascinated to understand how the logistics work in situations like this. Especially as Spain is a No Go area re Covid.

ROC10
2nd Nov 2020, 11:59
Totally, truly anorak question, sorry - how does the flight crew get back to UK? Commercial as Pax with another airline or is there another (unseen on FR) Jet2 aircraft running with it?
Fascinated to understand how the logistics work in situations like this. Especially as Spain is a No Go area re Covid.
I would imagine they’ll return on another airline. It would seem awfully wasteful to send another aircraft out there just to come straight back, besides I think it would appear on FR24 if that was the case. The only case where that may make sense is if they wait a few days until there are several crew members out there and then it may be more justifiable to send one of their aircraft out to collect them.

AP1995
2nd Nov 2020, 14:54
most likely stick them onto FR ALC flights, cheap enough

Flying Hi
2nd Nov 2020, 14:56
RMU looks like Ryanair territory. Maybe come back tonights MAN flight.
If crew remained airside they'd be exempt from 14 day quarantine.
Wouldn't they?

Flying Hi
2nd Nov 2020, 14:57
We crossed. Lol
same idea.

Bam Thwok
2nd Nov 2020, 18:59
RMU looks like Ryanair territory. Maybe come back tonights MAN flight.
If crew remained airside they'd be exempt from 14 day quarantine.
Wouldn't they?

I’m pretty sure that as the crew will be returning “on duty/duty travel” that they will be exempt from the 14 day quarantine.

Johnny F@rt Pants
2nd Nov 2020, 21:00
They will come back on A N Other commercial flight, and as they are operating crew they are exempt from the quarantine required for “normal” passengers.

Satoshi Nakamoto
2nd Nov 2020, 22:33
They are big girls and boys, I am sure they can find ways back home.

stonejo
4th Nov 2020, 08:01
Flights from Scotland will continue from the 4th November onwards. Apparently Jet2 have it confirmed the restrictions don't apply to Scottish residents and flights. All could change if NS puts the whole of Scotland in a lockdown.

Flying Hi
4th Nov 2020, 08:28
And from Wales post - Firebreak. But wait, Jet2 don't have a Base at CWL. Yet.

BHX5DME
4th Nov 2020, 08:58
And from Wales post - Firebreak. But wait, Jet2 don't have a Base at CWL. Yet.
Jet2 more likely to set up a Bristol base in my opinion.

Flying Hi
4th Nov 2020, 09:12
Jet2 more likely to set up a Bristol base in my opinion.
I was just jesting really.
I'm not sure, in NORMAL times, that BRS would have the ability to take extra flights, the locals would whinge magnificently, the A38 couldn't cope
Whereas CWL, and Wales would welcome them with open arms.
For now Jet2 have enough to think about for 2021. Having had TWO Jet2 holidays cancelled this year (Bodrum then Fuerteventura) I have ZERO intentions of considering our Fly To holidays for 2021 until we can see ithat there is some kind of handle on this virus, particularly the 20 - 40 age groups lack of social responsibility and government realisation that the Rugrats migyt not be ill with it but ARE the Carriers who are killing Granny.
​​​​​ My opinion only.

ATNotts
4th Nov 2020, 10:08
I was just jesting really.
I'm not sure, in NORMAL times, that BRS would have the ability to take extra flights, the locals would whinge magnificently, the A38 couldn't cope
Whereas CWL, and Wales would welcome them with open arms.
For now Jet2 have enough to think about for 2021. Having had TWO Jet2 holidays cancelled this year (Bodrum then Fuerteventura) I have ZERO intentions of considering our Fly To holidays for 2021 until we can see ithat there is some kind of handle on this virus, particularly the 20 - 40 age groups lack of social responsibility and government realisation that the Rugrats migyt not be ill with it but ARE the Carriers who are killing Granny.
​​​​​ My opinion only.

+1 from me.

FRatSTN
10th Nov 2020, 21:44
Bristol will become the 10th UK base for Jet2 with four aircraft and the first departures in April 2021

Almeria, Antalya, Dalaman, Corfu, Faro, Fuerteventura, Girona, Gran Canaria, Heraklion, Ibiza, Izmir, Kalamata, Kefalonia, Kos, Lanzarote, Madeira, Menorca, Mytilene (Lesvos), Naples, Palma de Mallorca, Preveza, Reus, Rhodes, Santorini, Skiathos, Tenerife-South, Thesaloniki, Verona and Zante

Geneva, Grenoble and Salzburg also from December 2021.

BHX5DME
10th Nov 2020, 21:52
Bristol will become the 10th UK base for Jet2 with four aircraft and the first departures in April 2021

Almeria, Antalya, Dalaman, Corfu, Faro, Fuerteventura, Girona, Gran Canaria, Heraklion, Ibiza, Izmir, Kalamata, Kefalonia, Kos, Lanzarote, Madeira, Menorca, Mytilene (Lesvos), Naples, Palma de Mallorca, Preveza, Reus, Rhodes, Santorini, Skiathos, Tenerife-South, Thesaloniki, Verona and Zante

Geneva, Grenoble and Salzburg also from December 2021.

Looks like 56 departures a week in August 2020, so 4 based aircraft

louelle100
10th Nov 2020, 22:01
If you don't mind me asking, how do we know these bristol routes are confirmed? or do we not? I get that the flights are bookable on the website but weirdly not on the holidays component of the website in my research at this time.

EI-BUD
10th Nov 2020, 23:53
In the booking engine now...

FRatSTN
11th Nov 2020, 07:02
I suppose BRS and Jet2 has been made possible now as no doubt EasyJet are probably reducing it's outlook into 2021. With a shrinking fleet, I would imagine the slot constrained airports like LGW, CDG and AMS will be protected at all costs.

With optimistic projections from Wizz, Ryanair and now Jet2 it would seem on next summer, it begs the question really have EasyJet potentially put themselves in an incredibly difficult position even to recover long term growth while competitors pile on capacity, albeit driven by discounting. And doesn't bode well in my mind for EasyJet holidays to have a meaningful impact on Jet2.

I do wonder now if LGW could be on the cards for a Jet2 base as opportunities will surely become available there.

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
11th Nov 2020, 08:18
Jet2 have announced the new base at BRS for summer 2021. Fantastic news in these very difficult times.

JliderPilot
11th Nov 2020, 09:28
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/jet2-creates-200-jobs-launch-19258906

Flying Hi
11th Nov 2020, 09:52
Great news for BRS.
Maybe airport capacity available due to Easy hwving binned it as a Base.
One mans meat etc etc. Easy may regret that decision in the fullness of time but meanwhile Good Luck, Jet2.

PinOnTheRight
11th Nov 2020, 10:23
When did easyJet bin BRS as a base?

Stone Cold II
11th Nov 2020, 10:35
Think you should double check what you’re saying. One of EZY most profitable bases.

Flying Hi
11th Nov 2020, 10:42
OK, so why does the BRS - NCL or is it now really NCL - BRS route use NCL based arcreft, not BRS - or am I misinformed?

JliderPilot
11th Nov 2020, 10:45
Didn’t Ryanair pull out of BRS. Don’t think Ezy reduced the number of aircraft based there.

PinOnTheRight
11th Nov 2020, 10:55
OK, so why does the BRS - NCL or is it now really NCL - BRS route use NCL based arcreft, not BRS - or am I misinformed?

Suspect you are misinformed, easyJet don’t have any aircraft based in NCL.

dirk85
11th Nov 2020, 11:35
Easyjet has closed NCL, STN and SEN bases just a few weeks ago.

gehenna
11th Nov 2020, 11:52
Good for Jet2! They seems to be very shrewd as to what they do, and the general feedback as to how they have been treating their customers regarding refunds and re-bookings are only positive.

Time we had a choice down here, and I wish all at Jet2 good luck with this new base.

caaardiff
11th Nov 2020, 12:12
Great news for BRS.
Maybe airport capacity available due to Easy hwving binned it as a Base.
One mans meat etc etc. Easy may regret that decision in the fullness of time but meanwhile Good Luck, Jet2.
BRS is one of EZYs biggest UK bases and reportedly quite profitable for them. 16 or 17 aircraft were planned before covid hit.

Capacity has probably come from TCX and Bmi regional going bust.

MerchantVenturer
11th Nov 2020, 12:17
easyJet has been increasing its BRS size nearly every year - should have been 18 based aircraft (10 320s, 6 319s, 2 321s) in 2020 had the pandemic not intervened.

Ryanair is still a substantail presence at BRS. In 2012 it did have a fallout with the airport reputedly over parking charges and reduced its base size from five aircraft to two at that time, but it maintained all its services by using aircraft from other bases. Since then the base has grown again but Ryanair also still uses aircraft from other bases to augment its BRS network. TUI is also a notable presence at BRS - pre-pandemic it should have had six narrow bodies and a B787 based for summer 2020. Thomas Cook had three based aircraft at BRS and has never been fully replaced, so Jet2 probably thought there were some gaps to plug.

Just listened to an interview with Jet2 CEO Steve Heapy who made the point that they are aware of the competition at BRS. It was not a snap decision to go there but one they have been considering for a while.

FRatSTN
11th Nov 2020, 13:24
There was never any questioning Jet2 heading towards the south-west eventually and Bristol was always going to be the prime contender, but slot/overnight parking caperbility and competion from the likes of EZY and TUI was enough to throw the spanner in the works to maybe see a CWL or BOH operation prop up first - frankly none of those are quite such an issue for BRS now.

Reference EZY supposedly going up to 18 aircraft pre-pandemic, was that not on the basis of them having acquired Thomas Cook slots? I'd be surprised if they even maintained that into 2021 anyhow as EZY will absolutely not be anywhere up to 2019 levels again any time soon.

SWBKCB
20th Nov 2020, 06:43
The Jet2holidays and Jet2.com owner – formerly called Dart Group – reported operating losses of £111.2 million for the six months to September 30, against earnings of £361.5 million a year earlier. It fell to a £68.7 million pre-tax loss from profits of £278.6 million a year ago. In what would normally be its busiest period, the airline flew just 990,000 passengers in the half-year, down from 10.07 million a year earlier as plunging demand and restrictions amid the pandemic crippled the aviation sector.
Jet2 issues holiday caution after £111 million loss despite coronavirus vaccine hope (https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/jet2-issues-holiday-caution-after-19309370)

TOM100
20th Nov 2020, 08:38
Loss is not as bad as I had feared (a horrid loss nonetheless).

CWL757
24th Nov 2020, 18:21
G-DRTY is now out of paint in the Red/Silver livery, named Jet2Turkey

CWL757
24th Nov 2020, 18:24
I know it's early days and a lot can and will change, but is the A330 retuning next year? Also what's the plan with the 321s now? Seems HLYA has been moving about a bit.

Flying Hi
24th Nov 2020, 18:36
G-DRTY is now out of paint in the Red/Silver livery, named Jet2Turkey
Ah, but was it clean or was it DRTY?:=
Sorry, slow day.:O

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
24th Nov 2020, 23:44
I know it's early days and a lot can and will change, but is the A330 retuning next year? Also what's the plan with the 321s now? Seems HLYA has been moving about a bit.

Any idea where it is?

irishlad06
25th Nov 2020, 01:08
as far as I know it is in QLA - it arrived into MAN at start of March in all white registered G-TCDD from memory and never got moved to the Jet2 register - it was then positioned to SNN before lockdown 1 and is now registered as OE-IOV and went to QLA a week back.

Flying Hi
25th Nov 2020, 08:09
Back to Lessee then?
FWIW G_HLYF is at MAN and did a local 'cirvuit" on Nov 23. Possibly to keep it 'current'?

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
25th Nov 2020, 08:55
Lessee or lessor?

Flying Hi
25th Nov 2020, 08:57
Lessor? My bad:uhoh:

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
25th Nov 2020, 09:13
In which case, I believe you are incorrect. It is due to go into service with J2 after paint and interior fit out. Early 2021 by all accounts.

Johnny F@rt Pants
25th Nov 2020, 16:27
I know it's early days and a lot can and will change, but is the A330 retuning next year?

No, they aren’t coming back.

CWL757
26th Nov 2020, 13:05
Didn't realize they were gone for good. What a shame :(

Flying Hi
26th Nov 2020, 13:30
G-GDFN (737-300) presently having a nice outing up and down west coast of Ireland ex DUB.
Is that prior to joining others at RMU or is there a cunning plan for it and GDFO at LBA which hasn't moved in a while?

Flying Wild
26th Nov 2020, 18:37
Didn't realize they were gone for good. What a shame :(
JFP didn't say they were gone for good, just that they weren't coming back next year.

CWL757
26th Nov 2020, 20:06
Sorry I must have misread the post. Hopefully they'll be back for S22 then!

oldart
27th Nov 2020, 08:31
The A330 in Jet2 colours was at some time in June flying between Brize Norton and the Falklands.