PDA

View Full Version : Jet2-5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

USERNAME_
14th Mar 2020, 00:04
I read Benidorm is closing down imminently, and think Majorca may be too. There will probably be a blanket ban soon. I don’t think the Canaries have any cases yet but I believe they are also beginning to shut down/isolate.

So the canaries, FAO, CDG and AMS. Also GVA, for now.

ROC10
14th Mar 2020, 00:46
According to Jethros, Jet2 will only be leasing 2 A330s from AirTanker rather than the original 3.

I suspect they may be trying to get out of other leases ASAP but this may not be possible at this late stage.

tictack67
14th Mar 2020, 04:14
I read Benidorm is closing down imminently, and think Majorca may be too. There will probably be a blanket ban soon. I don’t think the Canaries have any cases yet but I believe they are also beginning to shut down/isolate.

Eh?

Tenirfe had 5 covid-19 cases and 700 guests are/were in lock down on Adeje.

rog747
14th Mar 2020, 06:31
TUI turned back 2 a/c en route to Tunisia as there is a now a ban on travel there. So Tunisia is also off the list.
The a/c I think popped into Palma for fuel before heading back to UK.

Not sure if Jet2 had ventured back to Tunisia??

SWBKCB
14th Mar 2020, 06:36

Nothing formal will happen (cancellations, refunds, insurance) until the the FCO travel advice changes - that still stands at Madrid and a few communities in the north. I don't think Jet2 were in Tunisia, either.

rog747
14th Mar 2020, 06:40
Yes thanks I just checked the Jet2 route map and they do not go to Tunis nor anywhere in North Africa.

Re Jet2 Hols charging a £150pp admin fee to change a holiday I have to say that is a bit steep & mean - I have just had to cancel a huge trip and almost everyone has refunded me in full for all my arrangements - I would defer back to them asking them nicely to consider their loyal customers and that many Operators (Cruise and Tours) are now NOT charging folk to rebook.

Playamar2
14th Mar 2020, 07:43
Not realty the right forum for this post . However, an update to an earlier post about the Canary islands. Total covid-19 cases are 63 with 1 death. Tenerife has 43 cases of which 1 is serious.

P330
14th Mar 2020, 09:15
A number of Jet2 flights bound for Spain are currently turning around over France and heading home.

P330
14th Mar 2020, 09:25
In fact, I can’t see any flights in the air going to Spain or the islands. Any not in the air appear to have delays.

CW247
14th Mar 2020, 09:37
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1239x897/image_57fbcb5cb1ae9cb841ed1e88d0cc7b439bab46c1.png

From FR24 Twitter feed

DanAir89
14th Mar 2020, 09:44
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1239x897/image_57fbcb5cb1ae9cb841ed1e88d0cc7b439bab46c1.png

From FR24 Twitter feed

if theres an interesting bit here it’s that Spain is now closed but there has no been official announcement yet.

P330
14th Mar 2020, 09:56
if theres an interesting bit here it’s that Spain is now closed but there has no been official announcement yet.

There are 3 LS Canary Island flights with indefinite delays at Newcastle. Ryanair still seems to be moving so has there been a decision taken just by Jet2?

Serenity
14th Mar 2020, 09:59
Canaries have 2-3 hr delays due ATC sickness

GAXLN
14th Mar 2020, 10:01
STNFUE has turned back to STN so this seems to be affecting all of Spain and Canaries. Spanish PM due to speak on TV this morning I believe.

Flying Hi
14th Mar 2020, 10:02
Funchal seems to be still open. LS875 outbound now NCL-FNC.

davidjohnson6
14th Mar 2020, 10:02
BA2632 from LGW to ALC appears to be landing in a few mins. Not clear why Jet2 are following a different policy...

SWBKCB
14th Mar 2020, 10:03
There are 3 LS Canary Island flights with indefinite delays at Newcastle.

Two of the three now showing as cancelled on airport website.

Flying Hi
14th Mar 2020, 10:05
BA2632 from LGW to ALC appears to be landing in a few mins. Not clear why Jet2 are following a different policy...
Maybe BA are just flying Pax in and out whereas Jet2 are holidays with a defined in and out date. 14 days quarantine on a 7 day holiday? Turn round and fly home.

SWBKCB
14th Mar 2020, 10:11
From the Manchester Evening News:Full statement from Jet2In response to local measures introduced throughout Spain to prevent the spread of COVID-19, including the closure of bars, restaurants, shops and activities including any water sports, we have taken the decision to cancel all flights to Mainland Spain, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands with immediate effect. We know these local measures will have a significant impact on our customers’ holidays, which is why we have taken this decision.

We are contacting our customers who are currently in these destinations, and who are due to travel, to advise them of their options, so we urge customers not to call us.

This is a fast-moving and complex situation and we are reviewing our programme as a matter of urgency, so that we can fly customers back to the UK.

The health and safety of our customers is our number one priority, and we would like to thank our customers for their understanding.

Understandable I suppose, but seems odd to do this while flights are in mid-air, rather than overnight??

SWBKCB
14th Mar 2020, 10:52
Two of the three now showing as cancelled on airport website.

The third, LS545 to LANZAROTE departed Newcastle at 10.43?!? :confused:

Flying Hi
14th Mar 2020, 11:00
It looks like ALL the various Csnary Islands flights are now airborne and en route.
AND LS1411 STN-ALC is also airborne. ???

nclops
14th Mar 2020, 11:01

Going without passengers as they still have people to bring home!

Flying Hi
14th Mar 2020, 11:03
Going without passengers as they still have people to bring home!
You think these are re-pat flights?

Alteagod
14th Mar 2020, 11:05
Looks like the ACE was canx during pushback from BFS. Back on stand.

nclops
14th Mar 2020, 11:07
Not necessarily re-pat flights as such but they aren’t going to leave the passengers they had booked to return today out there so outbounds are leaving the UK empty to return as originally planned.

nowhereasfiled
14th Mar 2020, 14:50
So what happens now then? Since Jet2s bread and butter has vanished and they’re now left with a handful of routes, which it looks likely will also vanish at some point in the near future.

A well run and robust airline, they’ll come up with something, but what?

NCL-TRC
14th Mar 2020, 15:30
So what happens now then? Since Jet2s bread and butter has vanished and they’re now left with a handful of routes, which it looks likely will also vanish at some point in the near future.

A well run and robust airline, they’ll come up with something, but what?

I think all there is to do is weather the storm and operate a massively reduced operation where possible until the sun shines at the end of the tunnel.

Alteagod
14th Mar 2020, 15:42
Cherry pick some BE domestic routes maybe?

LTNman
14th Mar 2020, 15:52
I think all there is to do is weather the storm and operate a massively reduced operation where possible until the sun shines at the end of the tunnel.

Long tunnel as I think the summer season is going to be a write off not helped by insurance companies now excluding this nasty virus from any new policies. Europe is at the start of a long road where even a few big boys will go under.

excrab
14th Mar 2020, 16:05

Unfortunately, as bmi baby found out a few years ago with the possible exception of Belfast most of Flybe’s routes aren’t really viable in a 737...

OzzyOzBorn
14th Mar 2020, 16:23

All the cherries have gone mouldy!

MKY661
14th Mar 2020, 19:02
Madeira now also suspended:
https://twitter.com/jet2tweets/status/1238902207904452615

LGS6753
14th Mar 2020, 19:27
More importantly, that notice says no flights from 21st March to 24th April - almost 5 weeks as a minimum with no revenue at all.
And who thinks things will return to normal on 25th April?

eggc
14th Mar 2020, 20:58
More importantly, that notice says no flights from 21st March to 24th April - almost 5 weeks as a minimum with no revenue at all.

Considering the peak in the UK isnt due for 14 weeks then I highly doubt it. Obviosuly yet to be confirmed, but hearing whispers MAN T2 maybe closed for a "period", thats the extent of the effects of all this !

zoigberg
15th Mar 2020, 10:25

er... I think the ‘no flights’ reference applies only to Madeira at the moment looking at the notice a couple of posts up.
Having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised it what you’ve said turns out to be the case eventually

Flying Hi
15th Mar 2020, 11:22
Greece, Turkey and Bulgaria as far as I can see and who knows how long that will be the case.
Not a lot to sustain a Business, is it?

LBAflyer22
15th Mar 2020, 11:30
Greece, Turkey and Bulgaria as far as I can see and who knows how long that will be the case.
Not a lot to sustain a Business, is it?

Who knows whats around the corner with this. However the majority of these routes are closed until end of March, (bread and butter anyway) with other countries and routes starting soon after. A very slow build up to the peak of summer. Those three destinations are served from May in their main and build into a very busy season in July/August.

Flying Hi
15th Mar 2020, 11:39
Who knows whats around the corner with this. However the majority of these routes are closed until end of March, (bread and butter anyway) with other countries and routes starting soon after. A very slow build up to the peak of summer. Those three destinations are served from May in their main and build into a very busy season in July/August.
Yes, we fly BHX-BJV in mid May. In my minds eye I'm thinking the longer these countries keep borders open before any 14 day (or longer like Madeira) Isolation, the more likely May/june flights will be in jeopardy.

LBAflyer22
15th Mar 2020, 11:43
Yes, we fly BHX-BJV in mid May. In my minds eye I'm thinking the longer these countries keep borders open before any 14 day (or longer like Madeira) Isolation, the more likely May/june flights will be in jeopardy.

Keep Positive! This could quite easily all be over by the end of March/Mid April. The world cannot afford for it to continue for a year. Cause once it's over no one will have money to do anything. Governments cannot afford that - they need people earning money and paying tax.

Flying Hi
15th Mar 2020, 11:49
Keep Positive! This could quite easily all be over by the end of March/Mid April. The world cannot afford for it to continue for a year. Cause once it's over no one will have money to do anything. Governments cannot afford that - they need people earning money and paying tax.
Thats what we keep saying too.
If Jet2 have to cancel, there's always Scarborough!
(Note - family in Scar - we like it!)

inOban
15th Mar 2020, 13:00
The world can easily afford it. The world doesn't require any of us to survive.

What I'm hearing is that we will require a complete lockdown for at least 13 weeks, probably a few weeks longer.

Flying Hi
15th Mar 2020, 13:16
Theres The dilemma.
is the 'LOCKDOWN' a legal thing?
strikes me that be 'asked' to self isolate isnt NOT grounds for cancelling or can I use it to cancel using Jet2s Insurance and get my money back?
We're over 70. If we turn up at BHX in May12, will we be refused travel?
Sone straight answers from the Gov or anyone in The Know would be good.

RW20
15th Mar 2020, 13:35
Theres The dilemma.
strikes me that be 'asked' to self isolate isnt NOT grounds for cancelling or can I use it to cancel using Jet2s Insurance and get my money back?
Look by May,there will be no flights and you will be required to self isolate,this is the biggest crisis since WW2
Safeguarding yourselves is the number 1,forget everything else,losing money is the least of the worries,I 've forfeited My holiday to Spain in May.
The airline industry is compromised for this year at least!

Flying Wild
15th Mar 2020, 14:38
Theres The dilemma.

Surely you should have your own insurance to claim upon. It’s not the fault of Jet2 if other countries close up shop or our government dictate that everyone must remain isolated for a period of time. Their insurance isn’t there to cover your lack of preparedness.
Given that your age puts you in one of the highest risk groups for this virus, I’d be worrying about getting to May 12th in the first place. Hopefully by then things may be returning to some sense of normality and holidays will be going ahead as booked.

Flying Hi
15th Mar 2020, 14:43
Surely you should have your own insurance to claim upon. It’s not the fault of Jet2 if other countries close up shop or our government dictate that everyone must remain isolated for a period of time. Their insurance isn’t there to cover your lack of preparedness.
Given that your age puts you in one of the highest risk groups for this virus, I’d be worrying about getting to May 12th in the first place. Hopefully by then things may be returning to some sense of normality and holidays will be going ahead as booked.
Just to be clear - our Insurance IS the Jet2 insurance bought at time of booking.
Is 'must' therefore a Government edict and so insurance applies or just Gov BS like Herd immunity
Feeling out on a limb.

Flying Wild
15th Mar 2020, 15:03
Just to be clear - our Insurance IS the Jet2 insurance bought at time of booking.
Is 'must' therefore a Government edict and so insurance applies or just Gov BS like Herd immunity
Feeling out on a limb.

I see, just for the sake of clarification, your insurance was purchased through Jet2, but is certainly not provided by them. If you check your insurance documents you’ll see who is actually providing the cover. You would need to check your insurance documentation to see whether there is cover for cancellation due to FCO advice.

MKY661
15th Mar 2020, 15:22
Budapest, Geneva, Lyon, Grenoble, Paris and Nice are also now all suspended.

commit aviation
15th Mar 2020, 16:05
Peak virus according to the scientists is 10 to 14 weeks away which takes us to the end of May or mid to late June as a worse case.
Realistically I would think the aviation industry is on a go-slow until then.
The situation is changing daily and for all staff whether airlines, airports or workers in industries that support them, it will be a deeply worrying time.
Clearly it is also a very confusing time for customers of these airlines as well. The situation is fluid and I feel sure airlines like Jet2 will update their customers as soon as they can and assuming they have a clear picture.

Johnny F@rt Pants
15th Mar 2020, 16:11

If things continue as they are and either your destination won’t accept incoming visitors, or is imposing severe restrictions the Jet2 have shown that they have been decisive, even to the extent yesterday of taking the lead and returning plane loads of passengers who were well on their way to their Spanish destinations and turning them round. Jet2 won’t take you, you won’t need to worry about the insurance, Jet2 will offer various alternatives, from a refund to changing dates, to possibly offering you an alternative destination if any exist.

davidjohnson6
15th Mar 2020, 16:13
It is worth remembering that Westminster can change the law at any time if it so chooses. It is likely that Boris with a large majority will seek to present an emergency bill to Parliament in the next week - you may find that the normal laws around travel, freedom of movement, insurance, commerce, freedom to protest, etc may be modified

Flying Hi
15th Mar 2020, 16:37
If things continue as they are and either your destination won’t accept incoming visitors, or is imposing severe restrictions the Jet2 have shown that they have been decisive, even to the extent yesterday of taking the lead and returning plane loads of passengers who were well on their way to their Spanish destinations and turning them round. Jet2 won’t take you, you won’t need to worry about the insurance, Jet2 will offer various alternatives, from a refund to changing dates, to possibly offering you an alternative destination if any exist.
Sir, much appreciated. My thoughts go to the Jet2 flying teams (flight deck and cabin) and all their support personnel who must be worried about the situation too.

DjerbaDevil
15th Mar 2020, 20:36
It is worth remembering that Westminster can change the law at any time if it so chooses. It is likely that Boris with a large majority will seek to present an emergency bill to Parliament in the next week - you may find that the normal laws around travel, freedom of movement, insurance, commerce, freedom to protest, etc may be modifiedThe question is NOT where and which country in Europe the British public will be able to fly to in the near future, since most if not all countries in Europe will accept passengers from the UK. On arrival of course they need to go to their accommodation for at least two weeks and stay put and only allowed to go out to buy food or medicines. The aforementioned would not add up to a normally acceptable holiday experience, hence the cancellation of holiday flights and the repatriation of passengers in resorts.

The future package holiday business may well be a complete disaster for the next year or so, due to the present policy measures suggested by the Boris Johnson government, that the best measures for the country to overcome the Covid 19 virus is for the main part of the population in the UK to become infected, thus we would have “herd immunity”!!!

If the above policy is finally confirmed, then there will be Coronavirus Type Covid 19 infection in the UK for the next year or so, which will mean that every country in the world will be closing their borders with the UK and there will be NO flights or holidays from the UK to anywhere in the world probably not even to the Isle of Man.

The “herd immunity” policy will kill thousands in the UK and mostly the old, the weak and the unwell. It will also bring the UK down to its knees financially. For any business to survive, it would be a miracle.

So let us look towards our own situation here at home in the UK and let us hope that the Government comes to their senses and locks down the country like the Chinese and most, if not all, European countries for the next few weeks. It is after all the only proven way of controlling the Virus before it takes over control of the country as a whole.

Flying Hi
15th Mar 2020, 21:01
Memo to self - if COVID-19 doesn't kill me off, remember at the next General Election how BoJo considered the over-70s to be Collateral Damage to preserve his 'herd'. - of sheep?

Buster the Bear
15th Mar 2020, 21:09
Owning your own aircraft, simply means you can ground them at little cost. I realise that some are leased. All flying will be banned soon enough and for an extended period. Staff will be asked to stand down on no pay awaiting an upturn.

Flying Hi
15th Mar 2020, 21:13
Owning your own aircraft, simply means you can ground them at little cost. I realise that some are leased. All flying will be banned soon enough and for an extended period. Staff will be asked to stand down on no pay awaiting an upturn.
Try paying your mortgage with that one.

JonnyH
15th Mar 2020, 21:23
It looks to me from the notes on the cancelled flights that they’re clinging to the hope that the Spain lockdown will not last longer than 2 weeks although this is very unlikely. All other suspensions seem to be at least the last week of April.

On a side note, why has LSAC positioned to ACE from MAN to operate ACE-NCL? JZBJ had already positioned out to do it now and now seems to be positioning back empty? Pretty pointless.

nowhereasfiled
15th Mar 2020, 21:50
It looks to me from the notes on the cancelled flights that they’re clinging to the hope that the Spain lockdown will not last longer than 2 weeks although this is very unlikely. All other suspensions seem to be at least the last week of April.

On a side note, why has LSAC positioned to ACE from MAN to operate ACE-NCL? JZBJ had already positioned out to do it now and now seems to be positioning back empty? Pretty pointless.

BJ went tech. AC (the airport standby aircraft) taking out a spare part and 2 fresh flight crew. AC operating BJs original sector, BJ positioning back owith original crew as pax after a quick fix with the spare part.

OzzyOzBorn
16th Mar 2020, 00:37
Memo to self - if COVID-19 doesn't kill me off, remember at the next General Election how BoJo considered the over-70s to be Collateral Damage to preserve his 'herd'. - of sheep?

The UK policy on dealing with COVID-19 has enjoyed broad cross-party support. Some dissenting voices certainly, but this crisis rises above petty party politics. The medical experts are outlining what they perceive to be the best course of action; the politicians are signing it off. This is not about the political figurehead of the day.

The truth is, the politicians can't win on this one. COVID-19 does inevitably come with a death toll. Every loss of life a tragedy. But in reality the result of fate, not of a political decision by an individual. The whole point of the UK strategy is to handle the worst of the outbreak gradually through the more benign Summer months. Successful containment through to the start of next Winter would be potentially calamitous. Imagine the death toll if the accursed virus gets loose for its first pass at the herd then.

We will never know for sure what strategy would have produced optimum results. But the one being pursued here is based upon the best recommendations of our medical science experts. They're all doing their best and they're far more qualified to make these judgment calls than keyboard warriors on forums such as this. They have families to protect too. Let's support them as they do this very difficult job. Online trial by the great unwashed does nothing to help.

Big Tudor
16th Mar 2020, 07:35
We will never know for sure what strategy would have produced optimum results.

Yes we will. There are varying tactics being deployed by different countries with very different outcomes. Compare and contrast after the event and you will get your answer. I’m no expert but I would suggest ‘daily televised broadcasts’ from the government will not be at the top end of the success table.

Flying Wild
16th Mar 2020, 09:28
Yes we will. There are varying tactics being deployed by different countries with very different outcomes. Compare and contrast after the event and you will get your answer. I’m no expert but I would suggest ‘daily televised broadcasts’ from the government will not be at the top end of the success table.

I would suggest that despite all the wrongs of the Chinese regime, they were able to get it right in this instance with the total shutdown of a large swathe of the country to contain the spread. Looks as if it has worked. Meanwhile, there is still plenty of movement around the UK... The economy has taken a massive hit already. The markets have fallen off a cliff this morning. I think a total shutdown of all but non-essential services for at least two weeks would be one way of containing the spread. Imagine if this could be globally co-ordinated...

Kinocker
16th Mar 2020, 09:58
It's hard to see where Jet 2 go from here, there will be no summer holiday market this year. Can they survive on zero income until the winter, make it through the winter low season and last until the next high season in summer 2021? You would think they will need government assistance to do so.

Unfortunately however, we are stuck with the least competent UK government in living memory. Sadly a lot of older British people voted for their own deaths at the last General election, and indeed in the Brexit vote. There was just no telling them otherwise.

If the Government were serious about protecting the vulnerable in society they would be announcing a full Spanish style shutdown TODAY. Instead business and other organisations are having to take a lead by cancelling events as the government are not up to the task. By the time they close the gate next week or later the horse will have bolted. There are only 5,000 ventilators in the UK for 67 million people.

67.5 million people
80% infection
2% death rate or higher due to government failures and 10 years of austerity and cutbacks

=more than a million deaths.

nowhereasfiled
16th Mar 2020, 10:03
It's hard to see where Jet 2 go from here, there will be no summer holiday market this year. Can they survive on zero income until the winter, make it through the winter low season and last until the next high season in summer 2021? You would think they will need government assistance to do so.

Jet2 are fortunate in that they are sitting on a healthy cash reserve which won’t dry up for a few months even with an entirely grounded fleet. Add to that a management team that are very smart, and know exactly what and what not to do and when.

They also have a very loyal customer base especially in the North, so when this eventually does blow over, they won’t be short of bookings

SWBKCB
16th Mar 2020, 10:03
This is not specifically a Jet2 issue, but one facing many businesses - lots of general threads throughout Pprune....

Flying Hi
16th Mar 2020, 10:04
Unfortunately however, we are stuck with the least competent UK government in living memory. Sadly a lot of older British people voted for their own deaths at the last General election.

Quite so. All to preserve the 'herd'.
Now there's the threat of £1000 fine or being locked up in a sanatorium if we over-70s dare go to the shops for 16 weeks.

H44
16th Mar 2020, 11:07
Jet2 are fortunate in that they are sitting on a healthy cash reserve

Do you know how much that cash reserve is, and how long it would last with no income? Just interested as a lot of other airlines are asking for government help. A different source mentioned Jet2 have liabilities of £2bn?

Fletch
16th Mar 2020, 12:29
Do you know how much that cash reserve is, and how long it would last with no income? Just interested as a lot of other airlines are asking for government help. A different source mentioned Jet2 have liabilities of £2bn?

Of the £2 billion in liabilities, roughly £1 billion is for aircraft loans and lease obligations and the other £1 billion is customers cash who have yet to take their flight/holiday I think. They have several hundred million of their own cash i'd guess.

They have a great deal of flexibility to re-size the fleet with bringing forward aircraft retirements and not renewing damp lease aircraft. Spain in particular will be desperate to re-open their inbound tourism market ASAP, so I guess a lot depends on how badly the UK economy tanks, how quick it is to recover and what happens to consumer confidence/demand. If one or two of the weaker operators in the market fall away/contract then there may well be opportunities when/if they get through this.

Flying Wild
16th Mar 2020, 12:45
You only have to look at the Jet2 social media feeds with people questioning whether their flights in late April, May, June, etc are going ahead. All Joe Public wants to do is go on their hard-earned holiday. I suspect that once the peak has subsided and travel restrictions lifted, people will be flocking back overseas and flights will be full. It's kind of like the ridiculousness with loo roll. People will follow the "herd"...

snowman1
16th Mar 2020, 12:58
Quite so. All to preserve the 'herd'.
Now there's the threat of £1000 fine or being locked up in a sanatorium if we over-70s dare go to the shops for 16 weeks.
flying hi
for gods sake stop moaning i am 76 and have a 75year old wife with a chronic chest problem who may or may not survive this and she is moor cheerful than you.
and this is supposed to be be the jet2 page.
stay lucky
sm

brian_dromey
16th Mar 2020, 14:29
You only have to look at the Jet2 social media feeds with people questioning whether their flights in late April, May, June, etc are going ahead. All Joe Public wants to do is go on their hard-earned holiday. I suspect that once the peak has subsided and travel restrictions lifted, people will be flocking back overseas and flights will be full. It's kind of like the ridiculousness with loo roll. People will follow the "herd"...

I’m not so sure. Other airlines have publicly confirmed that demand is more or less non-existent. That started before various governments started imposing travel restrictions. You might be right, bit I don’t think people will be “flocking” back in June/July, I think it will be much more gradual a return. What would happen if schools closed for Term3, for example? Would they remain closed in July/August or return early, possibly with the expectation of a closure next year in flu-season?

LGS6753
16th Mar 2020, 14:34
Once the peak (of the virus) has passed (June/July?), Spain will want to encourage tourism, as will the remaining airlines. They will incentivise travel - remember Ryanair's 1p fares after 9/11? Such activity would not be profitable, but it would resume cashflow pretty quickly, and save jobs and businesses.

willy wombat
16th Mar 2020, 15:28
I don’t think some of these posters understand ‘herd immunity’. If achieved it would protect the vulnerable, not kill them off.

mattd938
16th Mar 2020, 15:30
Were due to fly to Barca on Jet2 on the 24th of June, if they are flying the route were getting on it lol

Gurnard
16th Mar 2020, 15:30
Rather ironic to see the latest acquisition G-DRTL positioning BOH-MAN this afternoon, freshly painted, but for what? Like many other airlines, Jet2 made careful preparations for the summer season, investing in additions to the fleet, but none of us knew how the coronavirus would hit. Profoundly sorry for this airline (and others) and the loyal staff.

nowhereasfiled
16th Mar 2020, 16:08
Profoundly sorry for this airline (and others) and the loyal staff.

Not ideal, definitely. But LS will be fine and will come out stronger on the other side.

Bam Thwok
16th Mar 2020, 19:56
Rather ironic to see the latest acquisition G-DRTL positioning BOH-MAN this afternoon, freshly painted, but for what? Like many other airlines, Jet2 made careful preparations for the summer season, investing in additions to the fleet, but none of us knew how the coronavirus would hit. Profoundly sorry for this airline (and others) and the loyal staff.

Sorry for what ??

Yes, of course, VERY tough months ahead.....but be assured......this “airline” and its “loyal staff” will be poised to react very quickly when Europe opens up again.

Bloody Doom Merchant !

ROC10
16th Mar 2020, 20:19
Sorry for what ??

Yes, of course, VERY tough months ahead.....but be assured......this “airline” and its “loyal staff” will be poised to react very quickly when Europe opens up again.

Bloody Doom Merchant !

Perhaps sorry for the staff who will have to take unpaid leave for significant time...?

Of course, positivity is needed but this is a real situation and people (not just airline ops) will be affected.

USERNAME_
16th Mar 2020, 21:02
Perhaps sorry for the staff who will have to take unpaid leave for significant time...?

Of course, positivity is needed but this is a real situation and people (not just airline ops) will be affected.

Jet2 are the only airline not to mention staff cuts yet which is odd.

Gurnard
16th Mar 2020, 21:15
Sorry for what ??

..... Doom Merchant !

Calm down friend. Think of those affected and try and show a little sympathy. Yes, we hope for better things but we are fools if we don't look at the reality of the situation now.

LBAflyer22
16th Mar 2020, 22:13
Jet2 are the only airline not to mention staff cuts yet which is odd.

Think they are very busy at the moment been what they are known for when it goes wrong - moving the bloody earth to get the loyal customers back to the UK . And who's to say they will? it is inventible but until its confirmed lets leave them to what they seem to be getting A-LOT of positive comments about. Which will only make people book with them for the future.

ford cortina
17th Mar 2020, 04:53
Sadly I don't think so, i'm on layoff like many of us.
Jet2 have stretched themselves this year, introducing the Airbus this year has been a massive gamble, it may not have been the correct decision, but of course hindsight is always right.
But you say they will be propped up by the Dart group, well lets hope so, but what if this goes on for several months, Europe is in lockdown, there are going to be no flight for several months. Jet 2 cannot afford to pay staff forever. They have a lot of staff, just look at any check in, at least 10 or so compared to minimal at Ryanair/ Easyjet/ Tui. yes Jet2 give great customer service, but they are going to as ruthless to their staff as the other airlines or they wont make it.
This virus wont go for a while, it just starting,
I friends there and hope they make it, but its going to be a long hard ride

Flying Hi
17th Mar 2020, 09:18
Been interesting watching, via FR24, the recent flights of the newly acquired ex-Condor/TC liveried A321 G-HLYF.
Doing the rounds of PIK, NCL, BFS and MAN on what must be type training. Life goes on.
Q - are these flights for uprating 737 crew to A321 or to check ride any newly hired A321 flight crew, for example ex TCX?

Flying Wild
17th Mar 2020, 09:33
Been interesting watching, via FR24, the recent flights of the newly acquired ex-Condor/TC liveried A321 G-HLYF.
Doing the rounds of PIK, NCL, BFS and MAN on what must be type training. Life goes on.
Q - are these flights for uprating 737 crew to A321 or to check ride any newly hired A321 flight crew, for example ex TCX?

A- The latter.

nowhereasfiled
17th Mar 2020, 14:10
Looks like Jet2 are flying home stranded pax who are customers of other airlines.
Expensive, but in the long run this is fantastic as it’s only going to build that already loyal customer base.

ROC10
17th Mar 2020, 14:14
Looks like Jet2 are flying home stranded pax who are customers of other airlines.
Expensive, but in the long run this is fantastic as it’s only going to build that already loyal customer base.

Any examples/source for this?

nowhereasfiled
17th Mar 2020, 14:23
See the update from Steve Heapy.

“putting on extra aircraft to fly customers home, some of who may not have been offered flights home by their own airline”.

JonnyH
17th Mar 2020, 15:06
See the update from Steve Heapy.

“putting on extra aircraft to fly customers home, some of who may not have been offered flights home by their own airline”.

Whilst Jet2 have given remarkably good service, certainly in comparison with Ryanair, I doubt that this has been at no cost to the consumer/government.

flyerguy
17th Mar 2020, 19:59
Whilst Jet2 have given remarkably good service, certainly in comparison with Ryanair, I doubt that this has been at no cost to the consumer/government.

The government said they wouldn’t be funding any kind of repatriation

Flying Wild
17th Mar 2020, 20:17

Given that a large proportion of Jet2 customers are on package holidays, it is the responsibility of Jet2 to get people back to the UK.

nowhereasfiled
17th Mar 2020, 20:55
Given that a large proportion of Jet2 customers are on package holidays, it is the responsibility of Jet2 to get people back to the UK.

Indeed, but the point I was making was that they are offering flights home to others who have been left stranded by their own airlines.

AirportPlanner1
17th Mar 2020, 20:55

It is but I think the point is that they have also been repatriating non-Jet2 passengers

Flying Wild
17th Mar 2020, 21:02
It is but I think the point is that they have also been repatriating non-Jet2 passengers

Yes, surely it good business to make sure every seat is sold? I’d be surprised if those non-Jet2 passengers had a free ride.

Buster the Bear
18th Mar 2020, 02:14
The world will be watching China. Had the virus almost eliminated, opened borders and foreign travel brought it back. Which county will be next to take that gamble? I suspect the delays in doing so, will be painful for airlines and support industries? You then have a monumental task of convincing the public that it is safe to take a flight or holiday. Sensationalist journalism only adds flames to the fire. One thing for is certain, a quick fix is unlikely to assist the plight of our industry and many, many others.

I do see scope for air freight, as Cathay used their fleet for.

USERNAME_
18th Mar 2020, 17:14
Looks like from Saturday 21st, Jet2 will cease all operations until May 1st.

Flying Hi
19th Mar 2020, 09:29
Looks like from Saturday 21st, Jet2 will cease all operations until May 1st.
Antalya flights/holidays too? Turkey still accepting flights AFAIK or will Jet2 suspend those too to make it a full house?

inOban
19th Mar 2020, 09:47
But the UK government has told no-one to go abroad.

davidjohnson6
19th Mar 2020, 09:48
Within 7 days, I imagine the Turkish Govt will close its borders to everyone unless they have a Turkish passport or residency paperwork

Johnny F@rt Pants
19th Mar 2020, 12:04
Antalya flights/holidays too? Turkey still accepting flights AFAIK or will Jet2 suspend those too to make it a full house?

Yes, ALL flights/holidays are cancelled until the end of April.

bcn_boy
19th Mar 2020, 16:39
I would not visit Turkey any time soon. Their President Erdogan has claimed that Turkic people’s cannot catch the virus. It was not until a week ago he also claimed that Turkey would not get the virus as it had installed temperature sensors for arriving passengers at Istanbul airport and could catch those with the virus, despite the fact that all nations surrounding Turkey had reported the virus. Turkey will be the next epicentre for the virus outbreak as they are way behind other nations and have tried to sweep it under the carpet.

nowhereasfiled
19th Mar 2020, 21:31
£1.5 billion on the Dart Group balance sheet.
Should tide the airline/holiday branches for a few months.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/jet2com-to-suspend-all-flights-until-at-least-1-may-21896

True Blue
19th Mar 2020, 22:32
"I would not visit Turkey any time soon. Their President Erdogan has claimed that Turkic people’s cannot catch the virus. It was not until a week ago he also claimed that Turkey would not get the virus as it had installed temperature sensors for arriving passengers at Istanbul airport and could catch those with the virus, despite the fact that all nations surrounding Turkey had reported the virus. Turkey will be the next epicentre for the virus outbreak as they are way behind other nations and have tried to sweep it under the carpet"

Have you seen the steps they are taking, right down to spraying the streets, closing bars etc? Bet more being done there than here.

Buster the Bear
20th Mar 2020, 22:14
Turkey has 670 cases, up 311 in a day, 9 deaths, of which 5 were within the last 24 hours.

LS737
21st Mar 2020, 11:35
G-LSAD and G-CELY to position to Kemble on Monday for retirement.

ROC10
21st Mar 2020, 13:03
G-LSAD and G-CELY to position to Kemble on Monday for retirement.

I see that G-LSAN is also routing MAN-NWI, has been circling and gradually descending over NWI for a while but seems to be heading in to land now. I'm guessing probably storage or maintenance as it's one of the "younger" 757s (25yrs).

SWBKCB
21st Mar 2020, 13:19
I see that G-LSAN is also routing MAN-NWI, has been circling and gradually descending over NWI for a while but seems to be heading in to land now. I'm guessing probably storage or maintenance as it's one of the "younger" 757s (25yrs).

Reported at post 2224 as being due NWI for a re-paint

Yeehaw22
21st Mar 2020, 13:32

Very much doubt even the most cash rich of airlines would be splashing the cash on a paintjob at this particular point in time.

Rutan16
21st Mar 2020, 16:51
Very much doubt even the most cash rich of airlines would be splashing the cash on a paintjob at this particular point in time.

If it’s it tendered part paid and booked the cancellation fees would outweigh any benefit.Simply get it done and give a few people a few more days of fully paid work don’t you think ?

SWBKCB
21st Mar 2020, 16:58

And on that basis, it's curious that probably the busiest a/c in the fleet just now is the new A.321 G-HLYF. As has been pointed out, things aren't always straight-forward.

Yeehaw22
21st Mar 2020, 17:08
If it’s it tendered part paid and booked the cancellation fees would outweigh any benefit.Simply get it done and give a few people a few more days of fully paid work don’t you think ?

if being done internally yes. But all companies at present are reducing expenditures to external companies. As in to zero. Unless absolutely necessary.

And as to contractual payments all bets are off at present. What are the paint company going to do? Sue the airline for none payment? The only way I can see a paint input going ahead is if its already been paid for in advance which is doubtful.

nowhereasfiled
21st Mar 2020, 20:35
G-CELY going down to Cotswold/Kemble on Monday to be turned into tin cans.

ROC10
21st Mar 2020, 20:40

Along with G-LSAD apparently

Flying Hi
21st Mar 2020, 20:41
As per post 2351.
G-CELY has been a good bus for Jet2.

Flitefone
22nd Mar 2020, 08:58
As per post 2351.
G-CELY has been a good bus for Jet2.

...and for those with long memories, this aircraft along with several others was acquired from the ashes of Ansett Australia, which was one of the first airlines to fail after 9/11. Perhaps the previous major crisis for airlines.

There was a group of 733 in Ansett colours, including G-CELY, parked at BOH for several months in 2002 I believe.

Mr A Tis
22nd Mar 2020, 13:07
...and for those with long memories, this aircraft along with several others was acquired from the ashes of Ansett Australia, which was one of the first airlines to fail after 9/11. Perhaps the previous major crisis for airlines.

There was a group of 733 in Ansett colours, including G-CELY, parked at BOH for several months in 2002 I believe.

Flew on this bird from Sydney to Cairns in November 1996. Never got the chance to travel again as LY - Oh happy days. Who would of thought then, that she'd end up as scrap in Kemble !

ROC10
22nd Mar 2020, 19:31
A330 G-VYGL has returned to Brize Norton

ssflyer
22nd Mar 2020, 22:39
A330 G-VYGL has returned to Brize Norton

Flew over my house at 14k mid afternoon.I noticed because it was the only aircraft in the sky...
SS

LBIA
23rd Mar 2020, 11:14
To save on costs all the leases from Air Europa, Titan Airways, Smart Lynx, Hi Fly & Air Tanker have been cancelled. Hence the A332's going back to RAF Brize Norton.

LBIA
23rd Mar 2020, 11:18
Boeing 737-300, G-CELY leaving LBA now for Kemble as "EXS30E"

ROC10
23rd Mar 2020, 11:48
To save on costs all the leases from Air Europa, Titan Airways, Smart Lynx, Hi Fly & Air Tanker have been cancelled. Hence the A332's going back to RAF Brize Norton.

Wise move from Jet2

Johnny F@rt Pants
23rd Mar 2020, 13:49
Wise move from Jet2

A pretty obvious move really.

brian_dromey
23rd Mar 2020, 14:05
A pretty obvious move really.

There may have been large penalties for doing this, so they must be fairly sure they wont need them for the rest of the summer - which is probably a reasonable assumption at this stage. Have they brought resort staff home too? I guess restoring their resort teams would take time too - at best they would be able to sell holidays for July/August at this stage. Even that seems very optimistic.

Flying Hi
23rd Mar 2020, 14:22
There may have been large penalties for doing this, so they must be fairly sure they wont need them for the rest of the summer - which is probably a reasonable assumption at this stage. Have they brought resort staff home too? I guess restoring their resort teams would take time too - at best they would be able to sell holidays for July/August at this stage. Even that seems very optimistic.
Interesting question, Brian. As one due to holiday Jet2 to Turkey in just 7 weeks, I wonder how close to May 12th we'll get before we know if we Go or No?
Its really for the SLF Board but thought it might get answered here.

bcn_boy
23rd Mar 2020, 14:52
"I would not visit Turkey any time soon. Their President Erdogan has claimed that Turkic people’s cannot catch the virus. It was not until a week ago he also claimed that Turkey would not get the virus as it had installed temperature sensors for arriving passengers at Istanbul airport and could catch those with the virus, despite the fact that all nations surrounding Turkey had reported the virus. Turkey will be the next epicentre for the virus outbreak as they are way behind other nations and have tried to sweep it under the carpet"

Have you seen the steps they are taking, right down to spraying the streets, closing bars etc? Bet more being done there than here.

Their virus numbers are increasing fast and they are way behind the curve now.

Flying Wild
23rd Mar 2020, 16:57

I’m sure there would be Force Majeure clauses in the leases. Having nowhere to fly to would probably fulfill that clause.

jonnyrobbo
25th Mar 2020, 18:29
G-LSAD arrived at Kemble this morning
a short 20min flight from BHX

sdbelgium
27th Mar 2020, 20:31
anyone know future plans on the 757s, got whisper one coming to NWI for paint,assume leaving the fleet

Mark
Scheduled to come back to MAN from NWI on 2nd of April.

nowhereasfiled
27th Mar 2020, 21:02
Looks like there are 2 flights operating tomorrow, BHX-INN & STN-INN.

SAPEG3T
28th Mar 2020, 12:57
LSAN is on the ground in NWI. Is that the one due to leave fleet?

Fly757X
28th Mar 2020, 13:27
LSAN is on the ground in NWI. Is that the one due to leave fleet?

Due for painting.

L1649
28th Mar 2020, 17:26

Also a MAN-MLA-MAN service operating on Sunday.

inOban
28th Mar 2020, 18:50
Repatriation of ski holiday staff. Brought under police escort from the resorts which are all quarantined.

SAPEG3T
29th Mar 2020, 22:55
Due for painting.

Painting as in, to a neutral livery to leave the fleet or into Jet2 Titles?

Fly757X
29th Mar 2020, 23:18
Painting as in, to a neutral livery to leave the fleet or into Jet2 Titles?

I don’t know, I’d imagine it’ll be out with Jet2 colours reapplied. There has been no mention about it leaving any time soon anywhere else.

CWL757
4th Apr 2020, 00:07
Do we know if the A330s leases are permanently cancelled or temporary,if so until when? Also, anyone know if we can expect a more rapid 757 retirement now?

LiamNCL
4th Apr 2020, 09:57
Do we know if the A330s leases are permanently cancelled or temporary,if so until when? Also, anyone know if we can expect a more rapid 757 retirement now?

Probably until end of S20 at the moment as the A330 is scheduled to fly the NYC flights.

irishlad06
4th Apr 2020, 10:30
I don’t know, I’d imagine it’ll be out with Jet2 colours reapplied. There has been no mention about it leaving any time soon anywhere else.

It had a C check recently and then required a repaint. It is staying in holidays livery and will be back in MAN or LBA in the next few days.

LBAflyer22
4th Apr 2020, 11:24
Probably until end of S20 at the moment as the A330 is scheduled to fly the NYC flights.

I suspect that NYC will not be happening this year. Just a feeling.

Rampmole
4th Apr 2020, 14:39
I have just been in correspondence with the hotel I am meant to be staying at in Mallorca from the 1st of may and been told that Jet2 have informed the hotel that the earliest flights will be starting back up is mid June yet the website still shows as flights available and going from May 1st. Can anybody shed any light?? I have a large group booking and constantly getting asked the question are we going, are we not, are we getting money back, are we not. I am aware the goalposts are moving on a daily basis but if they have made hoteliers aware they are not flying till mid June why are they still selling flights for May?

davidjohnson6
4th Apr 2020, 15:01
Jet2 like all airlines desperately need the cashflow to keep their business alive. While BA might be deemed a strategic asset for the UK, Jet2 management know the Govt will be much less inclined to bail out Jet2. Jet2 management might protest in public but know full well they need to be self-reliant

If Jet2 announce a flight is cancelled, people start demanding refunds and the cash balance in the bank declines rapidly taking Jet2 that bit closer to bankruptcy

sparkie320
4th Apr 2020, 16:45

757 G-LSAN remains at Norwich still, arrived for paint and entered the paint shop on arrival
reason she had to circle a few times on arrival was that the airport closes for 30 min and she was in the close time
so had to circle before landing
Pilot was not too happy as was not aware of this when departing Man
Mark

stonejo
5th Apr 2020, 06:36
Jet2 like all airlines desperately need the cashflow to keep their business alive. While BA might be deemed a strategic asset for the UK, Jet2 management know the Govt will be much less inclined to bail out Jet2. Jet2 management might protest in public but know full well they need to be self-reliant

If Jet2 announce a flight is cancelled, people start demanding refunds and the cash balance in the bank declines rapidly taking Jet2 that bit closer to bankruptcy

As a well run, well liked and profitable (normally) airline it is in a better position to raise cash itself and more likely to get Government help than Virgin for example. Also the UK will still need a company to take people on European holidays once this all over.

PDXCWL45
5th Apr 2020, 08:08
As a well run, well liked and profitable (normally) airline it is in a better position to raise cash itself and more likely to get Government help than Virgin for example. Also the UK will still need a company to take people on European holidays once this all over.
I can't see the government helping Jet2 and not Virgin. Virgin as an airline is more strategically important than Jet2 especially as it operates long haul scheduled flights from Manchester while Jet2 just takes Brits to the Med for the most part. I personally think that the government will help the UK aviation industry as a whole or not at all. I don't see them cherry picking airlines or airports.

ATNotts
5th Apr 2020, 08:41
I heard (third hand) a couple of days ago that Jet2 hasn't furloughed their pilots, and is still paying them their full salary. It is difficult to imagine they'd be doing this unless they are extremely flush with cash, and frankly with the government furlough scheme in place it would beggar belief if they weren't taking advantage of it to preserve the business whilst it is to all intents and purposes mothballed.

mike current
5th Apr 2020, 08:52
I heard (third hand) a couple of days ago that Jet2 hasn't furloughed their pilots

You heard wrong..

sdbelgium
5th Apr 2020, 08:55
You heard wrong..
If the poster heard it third hand a few days ago, it was probably correct. Most pilots were only furloughed on the 31st of March - 2nd of April (base dependant). Some weren't (yet).

ATNotts
5th Apr 2020, 13:01
If the poster heard it third hand a few days ago, it was probably correct. Most pilots were only furloughed on the 31st of March - 2nd of April (base dependant). Some weren't (yet).

That makes absolute sense. I know Mr Meeson isn't exactly short, but to carry on paying full salaries in such uncertain times would be beyond generous.

Mr Good Cat
5th Apr 2020, 13:14
I have just been in correspondence with the hotel I am meant to be staying at in Mallorca from the 1st of may and been told that Jet2 have informed the hotel that the earliest flights will be starting back up is mid June yet the website still shows as flights available and going from May 1st. Can anybody shed any light?? I have a large group booking and constantly getting asked the question are we going, are we not, are we getting money back, are we not. I am aware the goalposts are moving on a daily basis but if they have made hoteliers aware they are not flying till mid June why are they still selling flights for May?

At this stage earliest flights to resume mid-June, and sales suspended for operations prior to that (press article). However, should things change for the better (unlikely) then the start date can be brought forward.

Your refund will obviously take months to organise. All airlines are in the same boat. If the government/FCO extends the non-essential travel ban beyond 17th April you can claim on your travel insurance (providing it was purchased prior to COVID-19).

BluffOldSeaDog
5th Apr 2020, 14:41
it operates long haul scheduled flights from Manchester while Jet2 just takes Brits to the Med for the most part.

Could you advise me which routes apart from New York you deem as stategic?

PDXCWL45
5th Apr 2020, 15:12
Could you advise me which routes apart from New York you deem as stategic?
Atlanta, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Delhi when it starts.

nowhereasfiled
5th Apr 2020, 15:22
Atlanta, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Delhi when it starts.

Vegas is about as strategic as Alicante.

JonnyH
5th Apr 2020, 19:26
Jet2 allegedly according to Spanish media outlets cancelling flights up until 17th June and this will be announced next week.

FFHKG
5th Apr 2020, 20:04
Well the lock-down here in Spain was yesterday extended by a further 2 weeks to 26th April with indications that it will only be partially lifted then if the downward curve we have seen over the last few days continues, Therefore, I think Jet2 are probably taking a realistic view of when things may start to normalise.

AirportPlanner1
5th Apr 2020, 21:36
Vegas is about as strategic as Alicante.

To be fair Vegas is a global centre for conferencing and events but still not quite sure it’s ‘strategic’

SARF
6th Apr 2020, 19:30
If you can put 50 mill plus passengers a year through it could be deemed strategic,, although maybe not right now 🇺🇸

Travel Agent
7th Apr 2020, 08:40
Announcement coming at 10am, flying will not resume until 17th June....

fanrailuk
7th Apr 2020, 09:08
Announcement coming at 10am, flying will not resume until 17th June....

Announced at 09:30 today.

https://www.jet2.com/flights/incident

Alteagod
7th Apr 2020, 09:43
Blimey but probably best rather than movig the date every week or so.

P330
7th Apr 2020, 10:29
I still think June is optimistic. If it happens though, that’s great but I would still
expect some form of social distancing rules will be needed. I wonder how flights will manage that?

zfw
7th Apr 2020, 13:32
I suppose they have to work to some sort of date, however where do they think they are going to fly too?. Spain, Italy.?

zfw

davidjohnson6
7th Apr 2020, 13:51
I would imagine Jet2 will go for the destinations which traditionally see the highest leisure demand from the UK historically. Start with routes like Mallorca, Alicante, Malaga, Tenerife - maybe also Antalya and Faro and see how it goes. I very much doubt the more minor destinations will be flown in June

ROC10
7th Apr 2020, 13:58
I would imagine Jet2 will go for the destinations which traditionally see the highest leisure demand from the UK historically. Start with routes like Mallorca, Alicante, Malaga, Tenerife - maybe also Antalya and Crete and see how it goes. I very much doubt the more minor destinations will be flown in June

Greece appears to have far fewer cases than Spain and other popular European countries currently so it might be a more realistic place to start. However, this obviously depends on several factors. The UK’s travel advice will need to change, Greece would need to be willing to accept tourists (they will obviously need the money but will they want to take health risks?). Hotels need to be open and well-staffed (or at least enough to cover the inevitably lower demand) and importantly, demand obviously needs to be high enough to justify operating flights. Even if lockdown is lifted in the coming weeks, it seems likely social distancing requirements will remain in place for at least some months so I don’t really see how leisure flights could be allowed to operate. But, of course, it helps to be hopeful that the situation will improve...

SWBKCB
7th Apr 2020, 14:31
Due to the ongoing uncertainty caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we’ve decided to recommence our flights programme on 17 June 2020.

Thought they'd have gone for a more ambiguous statement. This looks very ambitious.

mariofly12
7th Apr 2020, 22:21
Is there any chance that Jet2 might replace its older 757 with newer ones now that United is retiring its 752s and 753s or will Jet2 cut capacity by retiring them completely?

ROC10
7th Apr 2020, 22:33
Is there any chance that Jet2 might replace its older 757 with newer ones now that United is retiring its 752s and 753s or will Jet2 cut capacity by retiring them completely?

Can’t imagine they would be thinking about further acquisitions at the moment. They have A321s arriving and will be lucky if they can even use those for the foreseeable future. I may be wrong but I don’t think many passenger airlines will be looking to take on 757s now. TUI have recently retired some (relatively) young 757s and it seems they’re all switching to cargo.

azz767
7th Apr 2020, 22:34

Two things, one I think new aircraft movement will be limited in the next year or two with a lot of frames getting scrapped or stored long term across the world.

secondly it depends on the UK market once (whenever it is) the lockdown finishes. If EZY go under EXS may have spaces to fill, if all airlines in EXS’s markets survive then I think you’ll see EXS come out of this a 738/321 airline, with the planned retirement of 733/752 accelerating

davidjohnson6
7th Apr 2020, 22:47
it depends on the UK market once (whenever it is) the lockdown finishes. If EZY go under EXS may have spaces to fill, if all airlines in EXS’s markets survive then I think...

So something with a high level of predictability then ? If I were a CEO, being involved in discussion of the kinds of scenarios you are mentioning would make me want to cancel all non-essential capital expenditure and just think about corporate survival...

Mr @ Spotty M
8th Apr 2020, 11:09
Jet2 don't need the extra range that the B757 has, which is why they went with the B737-800 for a mid size aircraft and the A321 for a slightly bigger uplift.
The A321 is far cheaper to operate than the B757 with only a fewer seats than the B757, which is why Monarch Airlines retired the B757.
The RR engines on the B757 are getting harder to get slots for any rework required, this due to the amount of Trent 1000 work being performed by RR and other approved RR repair shops.

LiamNCL
8th Apr 2020, 12:27
The 757 is finished as a passenger aircraft as sad as it might be for some its had its day.

OwnNav
9th Apr 2020, 20:46
I still mourn G-BIKO's passing, flew on it when BA had it then watched it for years in DHL livery, unceremoniously scrapped...

SAPEG3T
10th Apr 2020, 00:11
If the 757 and -300’s were all retired fairly soon, it would be around about 10 airframes less capacity (including the 321 acquisitions)

The schedule for Summer 2020 included from memory 10-15 3rd party aircraft. So it seems that come summer 2021 (Which I imagine will be a big one- more so than S20 was meant to be) they would be down by 10 aircraft.

Is there such capacity in the ACMI providers to fill this? Are there further plans for more -800’s to enter the fleet- or even, further 321 additions to cover this currently hypothetical shortfall?

What do you all reckon?

SWBKCB
10th Apr 2020, 05:40
So it seems that come summer 2021 (Which I imagine will be a big one- more so than S20 was meant to be) they would be down by 10 aircraft.

You're assumption that summer 2021 will be bigger than what was planned for 2020 is a brave one. I would imagine that Jet2 are more concernec about getting through this summer than what they are going to do next.

However, if you are right I wouldn't have thought capacity would be an issue - the a/c being released by LH alone would be enough to cover your estimated shortfall. And who knows, even the MAX issue might have been resolved by then, releasing even more capacity into the market.

Long way to go before we get there, though. Far too many imponderables and uncertainities means it's all guesswork.

yeo valley
10th Apr 2020, 06:50
You're assumption that summer 2021 will be bigger than what was planned for 2020 is a brave one. I would imagine that Jet2 are more concernec about getting through this summer than what they are going to do next.

However, if you are right I wouldn't have thought capacity would be an issue - the a/c being released by LH alone would be enough to cover your estimated shortfall. And who knows, even the MAX issue might have been resolved by then, releasing even more capacity into the market.

Long way to go before we get there, though. Far too many imponderables and uncertainities means it's all guesswork.
Who ever could perdict the future with the airline industry would be a rich person,a bit like what numbers the lottery would pick. Hope you clear of the virus and stay safe.

ATNotts
10th Apr 2020, 07:50
Who ever could perdict the future with the airline industry would be a rich person,a bit like what numbers the lottery would pick. Hope you clear of the virus and stay safe.

With economic forecasters suggesting an (average) drop of more than 14% in the size of the economy it would be very unlikely that forecast demand for 2021 as envisaged at the beginning of this year having any resemblance to reality come summer 2021. With so much of the population living hand to mouth (no rainy day savings) on their fully salary, take 20% away and luxuries like foreign holidays are going to be hard to justify / pay for come 2021 for many people.

AirportPlanner1
10th Apr 2020, 08:12
The only way Jet2 will be at initial 2020 or ‘21 capacity fleet-wise will be if one or more other players folded, for example creating a gap at LGW that needs filling.

nowhereasfiled
10th Apr 2020, 11:11
The only way Jet2 will be at initial 2020 or ‘21 capacity fleet-wise will be if one or more other players folded, for example creating a gap at LGW that needs filling.

even then, Jet2 are never ones to just jump in and hastily open a new base to fill a gap left by a defunct carrier

Flitefone
10th Apr 2020, 18:42

Spot on, I can’t see any way there can much activity at all this year, according to industry estimates 2021 likely to be about 75-80 percent of 2019. Same for TUI and others. Lots of aircraft retirements ahead - agree the unexpected emergence of slots at LGW might change things for Jet2.

FF

STN Ramp Rat
11th Apr 2020, 05:39
Before we all get two carried away with Jet2 and Gatwick. Stansted covers the London market for them. I don’t see any carrier taking the risk of splitting the market and operating half full flights in the next year or so. There remains the possibility they could up sticks and move to LGW entirely after COVID as, I imagine, the slots would be available and the airport would welcome them with open arms. on the other hand however all the crew are Stansted based, they have a full self handling operation at Stansted and I imagine they have a legal agreement in place with Stansted airport to cover the discounts that they almost certainly have.

In my opinion I think it’s unlikely, but not impossible, they would move south of the river after this.

AirportPlanner1
11th Apr 2020, 08:53
To be clear I wasn’t suggesting they would move south of the river. My suggestion was that if a large number of slots became available, and capacity in the core ‘Med’ market was lost, it would be a logical move for them to add a base. Also STN + LGW would greatly increase their catchment. I’m also not suggesting they would do so in an all-out kamikaze fashion.

Flightrider
11th Apr 2020, 09:15
Although anything and everything can change in this world, Jet2 had every opportunity to go for Gatwick slots when Thomas Cook failed. They did not even apply (where others including BA and Wizz did) and so one has to assume that's a clear statement by Jet2 of "no interest in Gatwick", albeit six months ago and not today.

willy wombat
11th Apr 2020, 10:36
Things do change. When CityFlyer Express was sold in the late 90s to BA, EasyJet had no interest in bidding for CFE because at that time EZY had no interest in LGW, seeing its future just at LTN.

SWBKCB
11th Apr 2020, 10:51
Although anything and everything can change in this world, Jet2 had every opportunity to go for Gatwick slots when Thomas Cook failed. They did not even apply (where others including BA and Wizz did) and so one has to assume that's a clear statement by Jet2 of "no interest in Gatwick", albeit six months ago and not today.

Or maybe they weren't interested in the size of operation that could be launched from a share of the TCX slots, didn't have the resources available or a number of other reasons other they had no interest.

Yeehaw22
11th Apr 2020, 11:35
Airlines are fighting for survival and hoping for the best. Not thinking of expansion. Even the pre covid successful ones.

AirportPlanner1
11th Apr 2020, 11:50
I think part of Jet2s previous lack of interest in LGW was not just lack of slots (the TCX portfolio was probably too small for them as noted above) but the price of them. If so many were to become available the value is low or zero that would be a different ball game no matter what was said a few months ago. Of course this is still heavily caveated on the health of Jet2 itself and the wider industry.

HH6702
11th Apr 2020, 12:14
Talk of passengers numbers going back to 2018/19 levels for the next 2 years we could see a reduction of flights at many of jet2 bases and move a few aircraft down
instead of 2x daily to Palma the May move 1 of those flights to Gatwick.

all depends on the deals in place but I would expect airports and airlines will be talking about redoing some of these so I wouldn’t ever say no to Gatwick.

remember after 9/11 Easyjet went to Gatwick and look at them now so this could be the time if they have the money to go to Gatwick if there is a opening and good deal to be having.

good thing is Jet2 own most of there aircraft so they have an asset without large fees to pay each month unlike TUI or some of the others

good luck to them all

davidjohnson6
11th Apr 2020, 12:52
With all the speculation about Gatwick, I'm left wondering... how do Jet2 survive at Stansted when Ryanair would be only too willing to do the dirty against them.
The conclusion it seems is that they have a holiday arm which works well - and consumers trust (unlike Ryanair's holiday arm which largely failed)

Yes, Gatwick has a wealthier demographic than Stansted, but would Jet2 be able to compete as effectively against Easyjet's new holiday offering or the holiday arm of BA, never mind that of TUI ? I just don't see any of these 3 airlines disappearing (Monarch and Thomas Cook having already been sacrificed), and expect that they will all be offering plenty of flights to Mediterranean beaches for summer 2021

SWBKCB
11th Apr 2020, 13:17
Yes, Gatwick has a wealthier demographic than Stansted, but would Jet2 be able to compete as effectively against Easyjet's new holiday offering or the holiday arm of BA, never mind that of TUI ?

They don't seem to be doing too bad everywhere else, why would Gatwick be any different?

nowhereasfiled
11th Apr 2020, 13:57
Yes, Gatwick has a wealthier demographic than Stansted, but would Jet2 be able to compete as effectively against Easyjet's new holiday offering or the holiday arm of BA, never mind that of TUI ?

They already do at Manchester and Edinburgh....

pabely
11th Apr 2020, 13:58
good thing is Jet2 own most of there aircraft so they have an asset without large fees to pay each month unlike TUI or some of the others

I'm no accountant but owning an asset is not always a good thing. I think the 2018 accounts said the 737 order was financed with more debt and loans which will have to be serviced anyhow.

SWBKCB
11th Apr 2020, 14:53
The much discussed G-LSAN just arriving at MAN back from Norwich

CWL757
11th Apr 2020, 16:17
Apologies if I missed it but is LS still planning on flying the full summer 2020 schedule (other than cancelling LIS and the A330s) this year when and if things return to somewhat normal or have there been any other cuts to the schedule?

Yeehaw22
11th Apr 2020, 17:59
I'm no accountant but owning an asset is not always a good thing. I think the 2018 accounts said the 737 order was financed with more debt and loans which will have to be serviced anyhow.

Not only that. But from what I've heard the lease companies aren't exactly in a strong position to say no to any lease/payment deferrals at this time. Not like they can place their asset elsewhere.

castleford tiger
23rd Apr 2020, 17:54
45 DAY RULE is going to put pressure on the Sims?

Is it 2 days per driver?

Tiger

Jaf4fa
23rd Apr 2020, 18:00
All sims and ground training on hold at the moment. We are more likely to come up against the 3 in 90 rule for the majority😟😟

Johnny F@rt Pants
23rd Apr 2020, 19:27
45 DAY RULE is going to put pressure on the Sims?

Is it 2 days per driver?

The 45 day rule is only for recency, 1 take off and landing required. So, no, it’s not a 2 day event for that, it’s 10-15 minutes per person. If we go beyond 90 days then it’s 3 take offs and landings, so that’s be about 20-30 minutes per person.

LBIA
24th Apr 2020, 08:30
Jet2 latest trading update, Leeds based owners Dart Group PLC seem to be doing ok despite the COVID-19 situation.

https://bdaily.co.uk/articles/2020/04/24/jet2-owner-asks-staff-to-take-30-per-cent-pay-cut-amid-fears-of-109m-pandemic-impact

gojmc
24th Apr 2020, 08:35
Jet2 latest trading update, Leeds based owners Dart Group PLC seem to be doing ok despite the COVID-19 situation.

https://bdaily.co.uk/articles/2020/04/24/jet2-owner-asks-staff-to-take-30-per-cent-pay-cut-amid-fears-of-109m-pandemic-impact

Saying they are doing "ok" is a bit naive. Jet2 did very well until 31st March. They have no visibility of what this financial year might look like.

Mr @ Spotty M
24th Apr 2020, 11:05
Taken from Travel Weekly:
Dart Group, which suspended flying in mid-March due to extensive European travel restrictions, is seeking whether it is eligible for the government’s Covid Corporate Finance Facility.
Despite holidays and flights being on sale from June 17, the group disclosed that it faces a £109 million exceptional charge relating to “ineffectiveness on a proportion of FY21 fuel and foreign currency hedges in the FY20 results” due to operations being suspended for an indeterminate period.
In my opinion doing better than many others, but not out of the woods by any means yet.

castleford tiger
2nd May 2020, 17:27
I don't think the 109 m is the cost of this. That's just the Hedge gone wrong cost
tiger

Mr @ Spotty M
5th May 2020, 14:55
Not looking good for the likes of Jet2 or Tui.
Taken from the Travel Weekly.
Tourism chiefs in Palma are hopeful that some travel will resume by August this year.
Palma Tourism Board manager Pedro Homar said that restrictions were likely to be lifted first for local and domestic travellers, with hopes for a return of international travel later in the year and in to 2021.

toledoashley
5th May 2020, 14:59
Not looking good for the likes of Jet2 or Tui.
Taken from the Travel Weekly.
Tourism chiefs in Palma are hopeful that some travel will resume by August this year.
Palma Tourism Board manager Pedro Homar said that restrictions were likely to be lifted first for local and domestic travellers, with hopes for a return of international travel later in the year and in to 2021.

Very similar to what has been coming out of the Canaries as well - they are not expecting foreign tourists until August/September.

inOban
5th May 2020, 15:29
And even then they would be daft to take visitors from the UK rather than from countries with much lower rates of infection.

The96er
5th May 2020, 15:39
And even then they would be daft to take visitors from the UK rather than from countries with much lower rates of infection.

Iceland revealed extremley high infection rates after undertaken mass testing of their population but so far have had relativly low death rates. There are more factors at play than just the headline grabbing daily death count that seems to be the ultimate measure of success.

ATNotts
5th May 2020, 16:09
Iceland revealed extremley high infection rates after undertaken mass testing of their population but so far have had relativly low death rates. There are more factors at play than just the headline grabbing daily death count that seems to be the ultimate measure of success.

It's not the "death rate" it's the infection rate, which presently in UK is way too high and isn't actually falling - it's static at ca. 4,000 per day.

ericlday
5th May 2020, 16:23
Wow...now I can understand the reluctance of the Canarian Government to open up tourism to UK when Canarias closes the last 16 hours without new infections by Covid-19. Now I know why I will stay a little longer. !!!

EIFFS
13th May 2020, 18:53
Its testing that determines the infection rate, the more you test the more you find, the Uk is testing give or take 100'000 a day and report 4'000 cases a day which suggests a 4% infection rate, however you can't extrapolate that across the whole population because they are only testing selected groups, most of whom are at higher risk, there is a random sample being undertaken that should better inform population infection rates, but this will only pick up currently infected not people who have been infected.

It seems from early reports that most countries that have eased the lockdown have seen the rate tick up again with one chap in Seoul visiting 5 night clubs leading to 40 plus infections, fortunately their trace and track systems are well in advance of most western countries, but they now closed 2000 or was it 20000 night clubs !!

I suspect that Spain will see a second surge within 14 days, the distancing rules are being flouted and many are back to kissing and hugging anyone they meet. The only response should this happen is a further bout of restrictions which would spell game over for tourism this year.

LBAflyer22
13th May 2020, 19:18
Its testing that determines the infection rate, the more you test the more you find, the Uk is testing give or take 100'000 a day and report 4'000 cases a day which suggests a 4% infection rate, however you can't extrapolate that across the whole population because they are only testing selected groups, most of whom are at higher risk, there is a random sample being undertaken that should better inform population infection rates, but this will only pick up currently infected not people who have been infected.

It seems from early reports that most countries that have eased the lockdown have seen the rate tick up again with one chap in Seoul visiting 5 night clubs leading to 40 plus infections, fortunately their trace and track systems are well in advance of most western countries, but they now closed 2000 or was it 20000 night clubs !!

I suspect that Spain will see a second surge within 14 days, the distancing rules are being flouted and many are back to kissing and hugging anyone they meet. The only response should this happen is a further bout of restrictions which would spell game over for tourism this year.

The UK is not testing 100,000 a day and has not come even near to 100,000 a day since the lovely government propaganda of testing over 120,000 for one day. It is averaging 80,000 or less. It is also not about the number of tests it's about the number of people getting tested. Doing 2 or 3 tests on one person is good, but it the crucial number here is the number of people tested not the number of tests. That is what will matter.

As for Spain i have to agree with you; tourism may already be over anyway. I read a few articles, saying they were wanting to test tourism with Spanish mainland residents in Balearics and Canary Islands.

ericlday
13th May 2020, 19:26
FYI new cases in Tenerife yesterday were 1 and deaths Nil

ATNotts
14th May 2020, 08:02
FYI new cases in Tenerife yesterday were 1 and deaths Nil

For the UK traveler, coming from a country where there are ca. 450 deaths a day, and a little less than 4,000 new cases a day, even if Tenerife did open up, it wouldn't be for us until we get new cases (deaths are a side show since there is a long time lag between contracting covid-19 and dying from it) down to ca. 1,000 per day there's no chance.

Mr A Tis
14th May 2020, 08:56
The Baltic states are opening up to travel between each other The same looks likely to be applied between other neighbouring countries. We appear to be allowing free flow between the UK & France even after the alleged 1st June Quarantine rules. However, the thought that many tourist destinations would allow incoming tourists from one of the world's hotspots, as is the UK, is wildly optimistic. There is no logic to any of this, certainly no joined up thinking between countries. Airlines, like Jet2 are in an impossible situation trying to second guess not only the virus itself, but the politicians too, good luck with that.
By the way the UK is only testing around 60,000 PEOPLE a day not anywhere near 100,000.

Mr @ Spotty M
14th May 2020, 11:42
It makes no difference between testing 100,000 or 60,000 per day.
If the figure was 60 million a day, then that would matter.
You can test negative today and positive tomorrow as the test cannot predict the future. :ugh:
Which is why the government is rightly looking at a 14 day quarantine period.

awwdabaaby
14th May 2020, 11:56
It makes no difference between testing 100,000 or 60,000 per day.
If the figure was 60 million a day, then that would matter.
You can test negative today and positive tomorrow as the test cannot predict the future. :ugh:
Which is why the government is rightly looking at a 14 day quarantine period.

The problem is the 14 day quarantine period should have been implemented the day lockdown happened, it was announced at the start of this month but won't be implemented until the end of the month, in that time, how many people could bring the virus in!

inOban
14th May 2020, 12:49
The problem is the 14 day quarantine period should have been implemented the day lockdown happened, it was announced at the start of this month but won't be implemented until the end of the month, in that time, how many people could bring the virus in!
Or, more likely, take the virus out, except that all destination countries are closed to non residents

ROC10
14th May 2020, 12:51

Exactly, I find it odd that it is only being introduced now that some measures are being slightly eased. Although, at times I am genuinely confused as to why so many people seem to be flying...

chaps1954
14th May 2020, 12:53
That is not confirmed and as far as I known it will only be implemented if needed at sometime in future

Mr @ Spotty M
14th May 2020, 14:50
awwdabaaby
It should have happened in January, when we could see this coming.
Not helped by people still going on holidays to Asia in February and March and then moaning that they could not get back.:ugh:

Jonty
14th May 2020, 16:53
awwdabaaby
Not helped by people still going on holidays to Asia in February and March and then moaning that they could not get back.:ugh:

I had a lovely time in Thailand in February. Can’t wait to go back.

easyboy22
14th May 2020, 17:36
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/750x1334/14786c17_b321_428b_b3bf_1c2a76989528_5f9cec4852cb9d1659aa6b2 aa7d416e744b57aa6.png

USERNAME_
14th May 2020, 17:50
https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/371390/jet2holidays-parent-secures-300m-commercial-loan link for the above

AirportPlanner1
15th May 2020, 12:46
awwdabaaby

How high profile was Coronavirus in the UK at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb period? Just as it was escalating and the risks becoming clear did we ramp
up preparation and warm people not to travel or did we give all airtime to something else? I don’t know the answer you see, I was in Asia.

bar none
15th May 2020, 16:46
Refunds.

Just received my refund for a cancelled flight which was due to operate on May 27. No hassle, no requiring me to take a voucher just a straightforward refund.

Well done Jet 2, I know who I will fly with in future.

castleford tiger
16th May 2020, 07:01
I find the whole thing confusing.
How do we know what R is unless you have full testing?
The official line is as followsIndividual modelling groups use a range of data to estimate R including:

epidemiological data such as hospital admissions, ICU admissions and deaths – it generally takes 2 to 3 weeks for changes in R to be reflected in these data sources, due to the time between infection and needing hospital care
contact pattern surveys that gather information on behaviour – these can be quicker (with a lag of around a week) but can be open to bias as they often rely on self-reported behaviour
household infection surveys where blood samples and swabs are performed on individuals which can provide estimates of how many people are infected – longitudinal surveys (which sample the same people repeatedly) allow a direct estimate of the infection rates

Different modelling groups use different data sources to estimate R using complex mathematical models that simulate the spread of infections. Some may even use all these sources of information to adjust their models to better reflect the real-world situation. There is uncertainty in all these data sources, which is why R estimates can vary between different models, and why we do not rely on one model; evidence is considered, discussed and R is presented as a range.
Who estimates R?R is estimated by a range of independent modelling groups based in universities and Public Health England (PHE). The modelling groups present their individual R estimates to the Science Pandemic Influenza Modelling group (SPI-M) - a subgroup of SAGE - for discussion. Attendees compare the different estimates of R and SPI- M collectively agrees a range which R is very likely to be within.

Now that's as clear as mud to me.
We are guessing ( estimating) based on data that 2/3 weeks old from various sources.

Flying Hi
16th May 2020, 07:11
Its simply a BS media thing for newspapers to get hold of and panic the Populi needlesdly yet again.
If we had had a brave Government and not one where Money comes before People theyd have kept lockdiwn on HARD until end of May at least.
But we haven't.

Expressflight
16th May 2020, 07:44
awwdabaaby

The trouble is the medical profession in Britain didn't "see this coming" in January. On Radio 4 this morning a doctor researching treatments for Covid-19 recalled a conversation with colleagues well into February in which they discussed 'this disease in China' and speculated that maybe it was a type of flu. He said that, at that time, none of them even considered it could be a threat in Britain. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but not constructive unfortunately.

AirportPlanner1
16th May 2020, 09:13
The trouble is the medical profession in Britain didn't "see this coming" in January. On Radio 4 this morning a doctor researching treatments for Covid-19 recalled a conversation with colleagues well into February in which they discussed 'this disease in China' and speculated that maybe it was a type of flu. He said that, at that time, none of them even considered it could be a threat in Britain. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but not constructive unfortunately.

I appreciate you’ve lost all respect for me because I expressed some facts - and I mean facts - about our Prime Minister that aren’t comfortable for his supporters which are evidently numerous in the Luton and Southend threads but this just isn’t true, or at least shouldn’t be true. I know the exact sequence of events and dates because I was caught up in it early on. It was clear by w/c 24/01 this was a major threat and other countries were taking action. The elephant in the room is what our Government and the media were completely pre-occupied with w/c 24/01, culminating in the evening of 31/01
and morning of 01/02. And where they were, the Prime Minister in particular, in the three critical weeks after that. The medical profession very much saw this coming and (hopefully) all will come out in a proper Public Inquiry. Hindsight sadly didn’t need to be required.

With regards to this thread Jet2 are all the worse for it.

Mr @ Spotty M
16th May 2020, 09:41
AirportPlanner1 and Expressflight
If l could foresee that we were going to be in deep s*** from this virus in January, why did the various scientific types not see or believe it, or did they just have there heads in the sand.
With regards to the R rate, this should not be seen as what is going on today.
I have noticed that the daily death rate is only showing additional deaths that have been registered in the previous 24 hours.
Looking at my local NHS trust hospital, they had a round 8 deaths recorded on one day but these were people who had not died within the previous week.
All l can say is good luck to all those employed by Jet2 and other airlines who l have friends working with, because it is going to be a long struggle before we come out of this nightmare.

AirportPlanner1
16th May 2020, 10:36
AirportPlanner1 and Expressflight
If l could foresee that we were going to be in deep s*** from this virus in January, why did the various scientific types not see or believe it, or did they just have there heads in the sand.
With regards to the R rate, this should not be seen as what is going on today.
I have noticed that the daily death rate is only showing additional deaths that have been registered in the previous 24 hours.
Looking at my local NHS trust hospital, they had a round 8 deaths recorded on one day but these were people who had not died within the previous week.
All l can say is good luck to all those employed by Jet2 and other airlines who l have friends working with, because it is going to be a long struggle before we come out of this nightmare.

Mr Spotty M, I don’t believe it was the science community with their heads in the sand. More than enough evidence of that. But I’ll leave it there, because I don’t want to get put on probation again for merely speaking the truth which is in any case on public record.

V12
16th May 2020, 11:04
How high profile was Coronavirus in the UK at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb period? Just as it was escalating and the risks becoming clear did we ramp
up preparation and warm people not to travel or did we give all airtime to something else? I don’t know the answer you see, I was in Asia.

Our dear PM (from my recollection) had just returned from 2 weeks in Mustique, chose to miss 5 Cobra meetings on Covid19, and then did a 2 week sickie to hide in the fridge at Chevening country estate to negotiate his divorce from his 2nd wife. Then came back to London to announce his girlfriend's pregnancy, and subsequent birth of his 6/7th child. Other than that he was right on it....so on it that he used his common sense to go and shake hands with a load of Covid patients as he needed the photo-op. Please correct me on fact if I have remembered any of that incorrectly - nothing meant to be at all political in that response; does that answer your question?

V12
16th May 2020, 11:13
Please don't paint all in the medical profession in the same vein. I have read, listened and know many in healthcare sector who DID see it coming in January, warned their superiors, and did source their own PPE ahead of Govt awareness. Just look at the Senate whistleblower hearings yesterday in Washington to witness the same there. Best leave it to the Cabinet to re-write history.
Remember, we all watched Wuhan emergency hospital being built in a week in January and marvelled at it. If you work in aviation and are aware of the existence of long haul air travel, it didn't need much more to reckon it was going to come here in a matter of weeks, with 2m passengers travelling every 24hr. Perhaps if those in charge of preparedness had acted quicker we would have an industry left now. Just my personal view.

Johnny F@rt Pants
16th May 2020, 12:11
This thread appears to have lost its focus- Jet2, not who said/did/didn’t do what with regards to the start of this current mess.

Mr @ Spotty M
16th May 2020, 12:31
Virgin Atlantic are looking to put back till August there planned return of operations, that is if the planned quarantine goes ahead, providing on them securing fresh financing.
Maybe Jet2 might consider this also?

dc9-32
16th May 2020, 12:32
Fact is, CV19 is here to stay - vaccine or no vaccine. Jet2, like every other business, is caught up in it. It is irrelevant whether anyone saw it coming or not.

16th May 2020, 18:46
I was hoping Jet2 might become more flexible with flights and holidays as I know many who are uncomfortable at the thought of travelling abroad at the moment.

ATNotts
17th May 2020, 07:46
I was hoping Jet2 might become more flexible with flights and holidays as I know many who are uncomfortable at the thought of travelling abroad at the moment.

If they are, I would suggest that it's down to lack of knowledge of the actual situation outside of the UK. Why does that surprise me?

Fact is new cases are down into three figures daily on Spain, Italy, Greece and Portugal. Slovenia has declared an end to it's epidemic, and most countries in central Europe are starting to open up to inbound tourism over the next couple of weeks. If I were to be fearful of anything it might be staying in the UK!

Biggest issue is probably the risk involved in being couped up in an aluminium tube for 3 or 4 hours.

Expressflight
17th May 2020, 07:50
I appreciate you’ve lost all respect for me because I expressed some facts - and I mean facts - about our Prime Minister that aren’t comfortable for his supporters which are evidently numerous in the Luton and Southend threads but this just isn’t true, or at least shouldn’t be true. I know the exact sequence of events and dates because I was caught up in it early on. It was clear by w/c 24/01 this was a major threat and other countries were taking action. The elephant in the room is what our Government and the media were completely pre-occupied with w/c 24/01, culminating in the evening of 31/01
and morning of 01/02. And where they were, the Prime Minister in particular, in the three critical weeks after that. The medical profession very much saw this coming and (hopefully) all will come out in a proper Public Inquiry. Hindsight sadly didn’t need to be required.

I don't know quite why you are so keen to shoot the messenger as I simply reported what I had heard in an interview on the Radio 4 Today programme of 16th May. James Galloway of a Kings College research team was speaking about a meeting with colleagues "in early February" (not well into February as I misremembered) and you can listen again to what he said 42 minutes into the programme. I cannot see how you interpreted my post as being in any way in support of "our Prime Minister" - my opinions on that score might actually surprise you.

paully
17th May 2020, 10:10
Mods...Please might I respectfully ask that all these above `Experts` `Hindsight not required merchants` and those with a complete blueprint for how to deal with the virus` have their posts moved to the more appropriate Jet Blast. That would serve to allow the rest of us to report on Jet2.
Speaking of which, they are being very flexible at the moment so if you have any sort of booking and want to change, I`m told to try the Sales teams who are manning the phones (might be a delay connecting though) and they will try to help assist and change where they can.

The AvgasDinosaur
18th May 2020, 08:40
Just to get back onto Jet2 track.
My friend was due to visit from Malaga to Manchester. His northbound flight was in the cancelled time period his southbound return was not. Yesterday he got his full refund. Today he booked his June 2021 flights. Well done Jet2.
NO VOUCHERS NO HASSLE
EZY RYR TUI Please note customer care= customer loyalty !!!!
David

JM926
18th May 2020, 09:06
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/828x1792/f01b5683_d8e3_4fbb_940e_dbda86ce6d64_c1d0305aad78447b9a32e55 69e953d604dabef58.png
Great effort by all involved!

BluffOldSeaDog
18th May 2020, 09:47
For clarity, rather than a screen shot, this is the complete list

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/05/mse-travel-survey-results/

The AvgasDinosaur
18th May 2020, 15:42
Best airline by 10 places 👍👍
Great effort boys and girls
even greater result.
CONGRATULATIONS
David

flybar
22nd May 2020, 13:21
Just got an email - flights now cancelled until 1st July 2020

FFHKG
25th May 2020, 13:24
Spain announced a short while ago that it will open its borders to tourists with effect from 1st July...... good news for Jet2 and other tour operators.

ericlday
25th May 2020, 13:43
Spain announced a short while ago that it will open its borders to tourists with effect from 1st July...... good news for Jet2 and other tour operators.
Have you a link please FFHKG ?

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
25th May 2020, 15:11
Just google Spanish holidays. Plenty of stories reporting that they will be open with no quarantine from 1st July. Hopefully a move in the right direction.

SWBKCB
25th May 2020, 15:20
Foreign visitors to Spain will no longer have to undergo a two-week quarantine from 1 July, the government has announced.

It said the measure had been finalised in a cabinet meeting on Monday.

BBC - Spain to stop quarantining arrivals from 1 July (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52800611)

ericlday
25th May 2020, 15:44
Thanks everyone......lets hope the ' foreign tourists' include us Brits

inOban
25th May 2020, 15:48
Don't rush

Update from Spanish PM.......
The PM Pedro Sánchez has mentioned the end of June or beginning of July to regain freedom of movement throughout the country and urged the regional presidents to promote national tourism as the one that “pushes and pulls the car” this summer season. The Canary Islands President described this as good news for the Canary Islands but stressed the need for passengers to arrive with negative PCR tests for the COVID-19 virus and always strictly complying with international protocols on health security for tourism, processes that must be approved and applied before the restart of this activity. Torres also added it will be necessary to add a system that allows controlling the traceability of visitors and said, “only then will it be time to open hotels..

It will be interesting to see what happens when domestic travel is fully unlocked and residents can travel from areas which have had major outbreaks to those which haven't

FFHKG
25th May 2020, 16:46
El Pais @ 15.40 EST today (https://english.elpais.com/economy_and_business/2020-05-25/spain-will-lift-two-week-quarantine-on-overseas-arrivals-from-july-1.html)

ericlday
25th May 2020, 19:06
FFHKG Thanks appreciate it

Gurnard
30th May 2020, 12:39
Anyone know why LS6088 is currently flying from STN to ATH?

Flying Hi
30th May 2020, 12:47
Anyone know why LS6088 is currently flying from STN to ATH?
Good question especially as Greece not 'open' yet and even when it is we are, quite rightly, not wanted.

Rutan16
30th May 2020, 12:57
Good question especially as Greece not 'open' yet and even when it is we are, quite rightly, not wanted.

This the British aren’t wanted is platitudinous drivel without evidence.

Almost all the European tourist centres can‘t wait for the Brits to return and in numbers !

The current resistance is rather more routed in decisions made in and around Whitehall !