View Full Version : Ryanair - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

bravoromeosierra
25th Apr 2011, 21:08
WDF do it with many airlines and airports.. obviously they have an agreement in place with Ryanair.

joniveson
26th Apr 2011, 16:57
There were similar signs re taking on a bag of airport bought items this morning at EMA displayed all around the Ryanair check in area. I put it to the test and had no problems at all taking on my usual hand luggage bag and a carrier bag of things I bought at the airport.

Basil
26th Apr 2011, 18:22
Three people win top scratchcard prize on same Ryanair flight - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8474224/Three-people-win-top-scratchcard-prize-on-same-Ryanair-flight.html)

Bournemouth Air
26th Apr 2011, 18:52
Bournemouth Airport defiant on parking and drop-off charges

Bournemouth Airport is standing by its decision to charge people to pick up and drop passengers off.

The new measure, which will be introduced from Thursday, will remove the free 10-minute period currently in place at the airport, charging vehicles, including taxis £2.50 for a stay of up to 30 minutes.

The new move has attracted some criticism from passengers unhappy at the extra cost they will incur.

Ken Barnett, 82, of Hurn, commutes between Bournemouth and the Canary Islands around seven or eight times a year.

He said: “They say you can’t stop on the road because of terrorism. But you can at Heathrow.

“I am a frequent user of the airport and sometimes friends take me there and I take them and drop them off.

“You can go to other airports and drop people off. It’s a complete nonsense.”

Paul Knight, operations director at Bournemouth Airport said: “It’s no secret that, like many other regional airports, we have seen passenger numbers decline during the recession. Despite this over £45million has been invested in redeveloping the airport.

“We looked at what similar sized airports are doing and considered a number of different options, including a per passenger airport charge, but we settled on removing the 10-minute free period as it would only affect a minority of our passengers. We have received some complaints about this since it was announced.

“But we hope that our passengers will understand that it will allow us to keep investing in the airport which will, ultimately, lead to more airlines flying to a wider range of destinations, from one of the most modern terminals in the UK.”

hichachoc
29th Apr 2011, 08:21
Must have soft seats in the cockpit: :confused::confused:

Ryanair crew failed to notice damage - The Irish Times - Fri, Apr 29, 2011 (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0429/1224295673569.html)

Ryanair crew failed to notice damage

THE CREW of a Ryanair flight failed to realise that the left engine had touched the runway when landing at Dublin airport, a report by the Air Accident Investigation Unit has found.

The damage caused to the left engine nacelle (cover) went unnoticed for two subsequent flights, the report found. However, the damage was minor and there were no injuries.

The scraping on the engine cover came to the airline’s attention later that day due to a report by a member of the public.

The incident occurred when the flight from Rome landed at Dublin airport at 12.45pm on November 19th, 2009, in blustery conditions. There were 127 passengers and six crew on board the flight.

The left engine cover scraped the surface when the aircraft rolled to the left and pitched nose down.

The pilot did not suspect ground contact and for that reason did not report it or record it in the technical log, according to the report released yesterday.

“The commander said that the aircraft landed quite benignly albeit with the left wing low. The commander reported that at no stage did he or the first officer suspect ground contact,” the report said.

Subsequently a different crew operated the same Boeing 737 plane on two flights between Dublin and Poland.

The crew did not notice the damage in the required visual inspection of the plane before each of these flights.

The scraping was on the bottom surface of the engine cover, about 60cm above the ground.

The report noted the pilot is not required to squat low or use a mirror during the walk-around inspection.

The pilot of the Polish flight reported that “no damage was visible from the normal eye level and the crew of the inbound flight did not notice anything unusual”.

On returning to Dublin the pilot of the Polish flight learned that the scraping had been reported earlier by a member of the public.

Ryanair reported the event to the Air Accident Investigation Unit on November 20th, 2009.

The serious accident report concluded that the pilot of the Rome flight should have aborted the landing and tried again (conducted a go-around) because of the low manoeuvring close to the ground, the investigators said.

It said that the landing was made in blustery conditions but within crosswind limitations.

It found that the aircraft had landed on the left landing gear first before landing on the front and then right gear.

The nose had dropped two seconds before the left main gear contacted the ground, it said.

The report recommended that aircraft manufacturer Boeing should amend the pre-flight inspection checklist to include the checking of the lower surfaces of the engine nacelles for evidence of ground contact.

Ryanair should conduct a safety awareness programme to tell the flight crew about the threat of engine nacelle ground contact when landing in difficult wind conditions, the report said.

It also recommended that Boeing should make revisions to its flight crew training manual.

E. MORSE
29th Apr 2011, 08:36
It found that the aircraft had landed on the left landing gear first before landing on the front and then right gear.

Never a good idea , but refraining from further comment as we're all human.

RetiredF4
29th Apr 2011, 08:40
There was a time, when pilots used to do walkarounds, despite the fact, that ground crews looked around the plane as well.

Seems to be different now:sad:

franzl

No RYR for me
29th Apr 2011, 08:49
In a 25 minutes turn around that is called a runaround :cool:

HundredPercentPlease
29th Apr 2011, 08:52
The report is here:

http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/13184-REPORT_2011_007-0.PDF

akerosid
29th Apr 2011, 08:53
In fairness, it has to be said that the underside of the engines cannot be side unless one squats down (as acknowledged in the report).

It should also be pointed out that although there was a pod strike, the actual landing itself was not particularly hard.

Here's the AAIU report:

http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/13184-REPORT_2011_007-0.PDF

Too Few Stripes
29th Apr 2011, 09:50
To further complicate matters, according to Boeing's own tables the pod should not have struck the ground with the landing geometry recorded! In defence of the crew involved it would appear from the pictures in the report that the damage area was not that easy to see, there was no 'hard' landing to prompt a more thorough walk-around and as previously mentioned Boeings own data doesn't suggest a pod strike.

FL370 Officeboy
29th Apr 2011, 10:55
What a misleading headline.

It wasn't even a hard landing and they no reason to check under the pods (which they wouldn't do as a matter of routine).

Hardly a case of negligence or incompetence by 'the pilot'.

camel toe
29th Apr 2011, 11:10
In fairness, it has to be said that the underside of the engines cannot be side unless one squats down

What is so difficult about squatting down? My current type requires a bit of ducking and diving, but nothing compared to PPL training on the PA28. Plenty of squatting and kneeling down to check bits on those.

captplaystation
29th Apr 2011, 12:37
Well, Begorah, the mods seem to think I am Ryanair bashing. . . as if, Bless Em!

The report (which has since vanished from R&N) having just been published on a landing incident a while back in Dublin just got me thinking, so I put this Q at the end of the existing thread on the Ciampino incident (since deleted Ta :ok: ) Duh ?:confused:.

Has anyone seen, or if it exists got a link to , any initial or final report on the landing incident FR suffered at the end of 2008 subsequent to ingesting half the Roman bird population whilst on short final to Ciampino?

Don't recall seeing anything on here.

captplaystation
29th Apr 2011, 12:57
Could I ask the Mods (pretty please ! ) why this somewhat pilot-orientated thread has been dumped amongst a slightly spotterish forum ?

Surely it is of interest to anyone flying a 738 that the nacelle can clout the ground whilst landing in an attitude that Boeing say "should" be OK.

There was the faintest whiff of Ryanair bashing starting, but my learned colleagues knocked that on the head thank god.

Any chance you would contemplate moving it at least to techlog or sumfin like that ?

Surely not entirely relevant here in Reggie SpotterForum2 Land ?

Jamie2k9
29th Apr 2011, 14:05
Ryanair to resume flights between Kaunas - Berlin from the end of October.

Cyrano
29th Apr 2011, 16:30
Surely not entirely relevant here in Reggie SpotterForum2 Land ?

Please, CaptPS, please! While some spotters do periodically climb out of Spotters Corner and wander in here, there are some of us here in AA&R who are involved in the commercial side of airlines and who manage to have reasonable discussions at times! Don't tar us all with the same brush! ;)

jpthomas72
29th Apr 2011, 18:31
Ryanair to resume flights between Kaunas - Berlin from the end of October. Nice ! Maybe just to annoy Estonian at VNO (they do however fly this already). Interesting how FR after loud noises when cutting German routes due to the airtax found that they need to defend some of their markets after all, and silently bring some back. KUN-NRN was another brainless cut. You should hear LT people: FR is really their airline of choice.

Jamie2k9
29th Apr 2011, 22:12
With the routes transfered to VNO and the seasonal Greek routes all gone for the winter, they are going to find it very hard to keep two based units going. I would expect the other German routes that went in March to return as well.

Shed-on-a-Pole
30th Apr 2011, 01:48
captplaystation,

The forum for spotters is called 'Spectator's Balcony'. You will find it in the dropdown menu listing PPRuNe forums. And by the way, there is nothing wrong with that forum or the contributors who post on it. They are people every bit as good as yourself, although most display better manners.

This forum is entitled 'Airlines, Airports & Routes' and is used primarily by industry professionals to discuss those topics. Your cursory dismissal of it reflects poorly on YOU, not the many excellent contributors to this forum and the discussions therein. And as for spotters, who are you to be so condescending towards them? Some of the most successful professionals in the aviation business were first attracted to this industry as a result of a keen interest in aircraft during their early years. I for one welcome their enthusiasm for our industry, and will happily answer their questions when I am able to do so.

The few with dismissive and condescending attitudes such as yours are a blight upon this industry. There is just no need for it. You could have made your suggestion that the mods move your landing incident issue to "techlog" without descending into childish generalisations against the valued contributors who frequent the AA&R forum. Your sneering negativity is not appreciated here.

And if you think you are so superior to those who do populate this forum, please stop to consider how "sumfin like that" [sic] makes you look. Do you really believe yourself to be more professional than the regulars on AA&R?

Apologies to readers on this thread for my drift away from the more immediate Ryanair topic. However, certain posters need to show greater courtesy and respect towards other users on here. I for one do not wish to see valued contributors dissuaded from sharing their comments with this forum for fear of being judged / intimidated by a small number of condescending interlopers. To young enthusiasts starting out who fancy a career in this industry ... keep reading, contributing and learning. Not everybody in aviation is totally up themselves. Just the odd ones who make themselves rather easy to spot.

SHED.

captplaystation
30th Apr 2011, 11:36
Cyrano,
glad to see the ;) you added, my comments were made in the same vein.

Shed -on-a-Pole,
Perhaps you should take yourself a little less seriously :hmm: I too, as a teenage aerosexual (as MOL is reputed to have labelled his pilot workforce, of whom I previously was one) was also a spotter :uhoh:, in a past life :rolleyes:,and still harbour a very bad habit of taking nice aircraft piccies whilst working, so I am hardly likely to come on here and be high and mighty (indeed there exists a nice pic of me & my cojo waving to a couple of spotties whilst taxying out at GRO one day a few years ago on airliners.net) so :oh: , I think your sensitivities are a bit misplaced.
As for encouraging an interest in aviation ? well, prior to 9/11 my cockpit was generally "open doors", whenever was reasonable, directly as a result of previous generations of Captain's kindness to me in that respect, so ,if you please, don't categorise me as some elitist old dinosaur. I payed my own way into this profession via the self-improver route, so I know where I arrived from very well thanks.

I think you can safely assume my command of the English language would suggest "sumfin like that" is deliberately substituted for "somewhere more appropriate", perhaps my humour is just a little too subtle for you?
Anyway, the point stands, that a large percentage of posts I read on this forum tend towards the spotterish side of commercial, which is an observation,not a criticism. Room for all sorts on pprune, EVEN cabin crew :eek:
My criticism was of the mods decision to dump a pilot- orientated landing incident discussion, in the middle of your forum,perhaps due to their usual desire to have no anti-Ryanair (even though I wasn't being) material left in R&N.
This did & does, strike me as a fairly useless place to dump it if you want it read by pilots, wouldn't you agree ?

Edited to say, to emphasise there is a place for us all in aviation, ironically the crew only became aware of the incident in Dublin courtesy of a member of the public who reported the nacelle striking the runway. Operating crew felt/suspected nothing, crew taking over didn't see it hidden under the engine, so :D & :ok: well done to Mr Reginald S Potter n'est pas ?

barrymah
1st May 2011, 14:19
+1 on the sentiments about arrogance, courtesy and respect.

BTW, French speakers never use n'est pas.....in such a context.

B

captplaystation
1st May 2011, 23:30
Did you actually read my post above yours ? ? :ugh:

Oh BTW, I did study 6 years in Ryanair "charm school", so don't expect TOO much.:rolleyes:

Skipness One Echo
2nd May 2011, 00:30
Oh BTW, I did study 6 years in Ryanair "charm school", so don't expect TOO much.
was a spotter,in a past life, so I am hardly likely to come on here and be high and mighty
How about you stop patronising others and raise your game? Only the feeble minded blame their surroundings for what they lack when they're just lacking in good character and manners.
You sound exactly what you claim not to be!

captplaystation
2nd May 2011, 00:41
Finally, can any of you guys actually READ.

Read this forum and you will find a plethora of posts "Ryanair now flying 4 times a week to ABC"/ " Oh it takes ages for the bags to arrive in T5" etc etc, I rest my assertion , a little bit of a Reggie Spotterish/ SLF place to put a bloody landing incident. . . which, was my criticism of the mods, AND. . the whole reason why I ended up here ,merely trying to find where our "pilot" discussion "inconveniently "? involving Ryanair, had been dumped.
Are you folks on this forum so sensitive (or thick? ) to actually understand what is on your forum, or indeed what my original gripe actually was?

Jeez, some folks are just so hard to please :ugh:

Doesn't bother me nowadays, but please my sensitive little souls, think twice about flying FR if you are that easily emotionally bruised. . . Bless ! :p

Shed-on-a-Pole
2nd May 2011, 06:09
Well, captplaystation. It appears that you are desperate to prove our point for us. You have excelled yourself. Any discussion of Ryanair launching a new route 4 x weekly to [ABC] is exactly what this forum is all about. That is why it is called 'Airlines, Airports & ROUTES.' We surely cannot be aviation industry professionals (including aircrew) if we dare to show an interest in which routes the fleet may be deployed on next season, can we? And as for discussing the economics of and prospects for such routes, the operating companies thereon, or the airports served as a consequence ... well, how could we possibly be professionals and be interested in such considerations?

Or maybe as you say, it is just that contributors who discuss routes in the forum about routes are "thick". Yes, that must be it. And as for daring to discuss the functionality of baggage handling systems in Britain's newest major airport terminal ... well, what kind of person would raise that subject on the 'Airlines, AIRPORTS & Routes' forum. I mean, really, do any aviation professionals work in terminals? The very idea of it!!! Hmmm ... on second thoughts, maybe it is we regular contributors who do "actually understand" what is posted on this forum after all.

Have you considered sticking to the forum(s) which actually measure up to your high professional standards instead of AA&R? Give it a try.

captplaystation
2nd May 2011, 12:35
Unlike L' Oreal, I doubt you are "worth it", but here goes.

I think anyone with a slightly developed sense of humour could have read the tongue in cheek sarcasm in my original post, which caused you so much offence/distress.
I have tried to explain A- Why I ended up posting here & B- my original gripe that this wasn't the right place for the discussion I was in, But. . . you are too "precious" / defensive to read what I have written, prefering to continue on your crusade to defend your forum.
Whether I think you are a bunch of anoraks, or indeed making informed comment on the industry, is not of great concern to you I am sure, however, you really should have a go at taking yourself a "little" less seriously and develop your sense of humour a little.
It is a great asset in this industry, as you have possibly surmised by now.
I can assure you I am unlikely to interfere with your discussions on this forum too often, as long as the mods don't continue to use it as a dumping ground for "inconvenient discussions" elsewhere.

daz211
2nd May 2011, 15:05
Please can we get this thread back on track and stop using it as a boxing ring, I for one check this thread for News regarding routes and Airports, I do not want to get dragged into the current slanging match, so please dont try and involve me, all I am asking is please can we get back to news on Airlines Airports and routes ... If you want to carry on your personal tit for tat banter can you please use your PM and let us Industry Professionals get back on topic...

Best regards DAZ211. :ok:

P.S Sorry MODS, I had to say the above...

jpthomas72
2nd May 2011, 17:06
... ok, after the rants, maybe back to topic:
The new regional government of Rhineland-Palatinate (Socialdemocrats now in coalition with Greens), which as you know supports HHN with 11-15 million Euros each year (some 4-5 Euros per passenger) has decided today to ramp-down this support 'as fast as possible'. I wonder that this means for the future of FR at HHN. Though once people will tell them that it really has some 3000 jobs attached to it, they'll surely reconsider. The region isn't rich. The controversial big bridge above the Mosel river which will amongst other things connect HHN better to the North and West will however be built.
Another FR-related news-bit is that Kaunas city council is pushing for the Rail Baltica high-speed rail project (Berlin-Warsaw-Kaunas-Riga-Tallinn) to connect to the KUN terminal.

blueplatinum
3rd May 2011, 06:27
When FR pulled the base at MAN they just retained one flight originating in Dublin.

They have now added Alicante, Faro, Madrid, Palma and Tenerife to the list (all, I believe, using aircraft based in those locations - no base at MAN).

Does anyone know if there are plant to add any other routes to this list ?

FA10
3rd May 2011, 07:40
MAN never was a base, only a destination that was heavily cut back and comes back to life now!

daz211
3rd May 2011, 08:37
Ryanair to make fresh Aer Lingus bid? : Stansted Airport News Stories (http://uk-airport-news.info/stansted-airport-news-010511a.html)

I have just stumbled across this bit of news and thought I would share it with you all, Its from the 01/05/2011 but has not been talked about on this thread yet ...

ImPlaneCrazy
3rd May 2011, 10:31
Just out of interest, and bearing in mind that I haven't read the article above nor any other material re: Ryanair bid to take over Aer Lingus, what would happen if the take over were to go ahead? Would the two companies operate under seperate entities albeit under the Ryanair 'umberella'? Would Ryanair keep the longhaul routes etc?

daz211
3rd May 2011, 12:39
Who knows !!!
But I myself would like to see, STN being used along with DUB and SNN as longhaul hubs, Ryanair doing all European routes and Aer Lingus doing the longhaul routes with connections between the two ...

But dont think the take over will even get of the ground :rolleyes:

FR-
3rd May 2011, 15:38
Nothing from RNS about a take over yet. Just more shares being issued.

RYANAIR News RYA RYA.L - Interactive Investor (http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail?code=cotn:RYA.L&display=news&it=le)

fr-

clareview
3rd May 2011, 16:08
The serious Irish media reports that the responsible government minister (new government in Ireland since the last bid) would not allow the government stake in Aer Lingus to be sold to Ryanair - the whole issue has been reopened by the plan by the government to seel as many assets as possible to reduce state debt.

In addition, the EU has blocked previous bids on competition grounds so I can't see it changing its mind.

At the time of the earlier bids, Ryanair said it would keep the 2 companies operating separately but would expand the Aer Lingus brand (double I think I recall). As EI has moved away from the low cost model there is even more rationale for this now.

FR-
3rd May 2011, 17:47
Yes the EU may have blocked it before, but have you noticed that since then Ryanair has been adding board members with friends, example:

Mr. Juliusz Komorek was appointed as Director - Legal & Regulatory Affairs, Company Secretary of Raynair Holdings Plc in May 2009. He served as Deputy Director of Legal and Regulatory Affairs since 2007. Prior to joining the Company in 2004, he had gained relevant experience in the European Commission’s Directorate General for Competition and in the Polish Embassy to the EU in Brussels, as well as in the private sector in Poland and the Netherlands. He is a lawyer, holding degrees from the universities of Warsaw and Amsterdam.

Mr. Charlie McCreevy, former EU Commissioner and Irish Minister for Finance has been appointed as Non-Executive Director of Ryanair Holdings PLC with effect from May 28, 2010. Mr. McCreevy has previously served as EU Commissioner for Internal Markets and Services (2004-2010) and has held positions in several Irish Government Ministerial Offices, including Minister for Finance (1997-2004), Minister for Tourism & Trade (1993-1994) and Minister for Social Welfare (1992-1993).

One jnr minister may say its a no sale to Ryanair, but at the end of the day the Irish Government needs the money.

fr-

aer lingus
9th May 2011, 21:55
Just remember what happened to Buzz when Ryanair bought it, picked a fight with the unions and closed it down. Kept a few aircraft 737-300s I think as well as a British AOC. Can see the same happening if they AL. :eek:

JWP2010
9th May 2011, 22:46
What serious Irish media?

Jamie2k9
9th May 2011, 23:31
Ryanair will slash flights acorss Spain lather this year if the recent fines imposed by the Spanaish Goverement are not reversed. They have being fined more than 60 times in the last 2 years. If the fines of 1.23million are not lifted the cuts will be announced.

They expect to carry 30+million passengers in Spain this year and they claim to sustain over 33,000 jobs.

Spanish consumers' organizations accused Ryanair of 'blackmail' and threatened to take legal action if 'even a single fine' was cancelled.

Ryanair threatens Spain with job cuts unless fines are lifted - Monsters and Critics (http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/business/news/article_1637974.php/Ryanair-threatens-Spain-with-job-cuts-unless-fines-are-lifted)

racedo
9th May 2011, 23:58
Its the arbitrary nature of fines which seems to be the issue where someone can just impose one without due process or ever going near a court room.

If the same standards are not being applied to all airlines and there is no right to be even heard then there is a fair case.

Of course cancelling thousands of flights when economy is in doldrums with 20% unemployment just as summer season starts can be very effective.

Wonder how much Iberia have been fined in last 5 years......

pee
10th May 2011, 06:17
Good news for all who felt claustrophobic at the very basic and cramped low-cost terminal in Tampere-Pirkkala. Within a year a brand new terminal dedicated to low-cost airlines, double the size, will be built there. Somewhat surprisingly, knowing the Finnish aviation authorities' prolonged reluctance to do anything in favour of this development.

JSCL
10th May 2011, 07:09
Yeah I find Ryanair's approach to be on the Borders of pathetic. It's all games with them it seems. Some fines reversed or we will let 33000 people go and cut routes - now that is just petty. Bad business practices.

FR-
10th May 2011, 09:03
Bad business practices, really? Its worked for the last 20 years. Its just business, have you seen what cetrica is saying about tax in the UK?

33000 jobs is the total number of jobs, would only lose 33000 if ryanair pulled every route, no one has said that.

The real money comes from the money that pax spend in spain, not just 33000jobs at airports.

fr-

boyzinblue
10th May 2011, 14:23
Does anyone have any load factors from Magdeburg-Cochstedt? How are the routes performing? Does anyone reckon that Stanstead will be a new route considering the Altenburg-Stanstead route was closed at the end of March?

Determined
11th May 2011, 08:57
Anyone know why you can't book Dub-Blq after 5th September? Thanks.

DjerbaDevil
11th May 2011, 16:29
Just another small set-back:

A Magistrate at Elche Mercantile Court, Alicante, ruled yesterday that RyanAir passengers arriving and departing must access the new Airport Terminal buildings by using the airbridges or a bus. RyanAir have five days to appeal against the ruling.

According to the newspaper, the Magistrate's ruling states that RyanAir was kept informed of the procedures to be adopted at the new terminal by the airport manager with various letters since December 2010 and there was no response registerd from RyanAir to these communications. AENA, the managing group of the airport had also provided evidence that RyanAir was actively using air-bridges at the airports of Madrid, Gran Canaria, Barcelona and Malaga.

It was also pointed out that 40% RyanAir passengers had been using buses for access to an from the old terminal building.

Source:
http://www.diarioinformacion.com/alicante/2011/05/11/juez-avala-prohibicion-viajeros-ryanair-suban-pie-aviones/1125508.html (mhtml:{25171FF0-2B93-487E-847D-B68C941D8898}mid://00002429/!x-usc:http://www.diarioinformacion.com/alicante/2011/05/11/juez-avala-prohibicion-viajeros-ryanair-suban-pie-aviones/1125508.html)

GnRdL
11th May 2011, 16:46
And some hours later, Ryanair welcomed the decision interpreting the order of the Magistrate in his own way... olé!

EL TRIBUNAL DE ALICANTE DICTAMINA QUE AENA HA ABUSADO DE SU? (http://www.ryanair.com/es/novedades/el-tribunal-de-alicante-dictamina-que-aena-ha-abusado-de-su-posicion-dominante)

frfly
11th May 2011, 16:51
Whyever AENA designed and built a new terminal with all airbridges in this day and age is beyond me. Most LCCs prefer steps in order to cut down turnaround times. They have wasted a great deal of money and annoyed their biggest customer into reducing operations significantly. The terminal would have been good with a mixture of steps and airbridges, and if they'd done their research properly before they would have known this. They've shot themselves in the foot, wasted their own money and now expect to pass on their debt bill for full service facilities such as airbridges to airlines that dont want to use them!! Its fine to want to build a superior class facility when you have a majority of superior class customers, but for crying out loud your biggest customer is Ryanair, who would be happy with a shed in the corner of the airfield!!

Noxegon
11th May 2011, 17:20
I don't see what the big deal is. If Ryanair doesn't like the terms that are on offer then they do not need to fly there.

They could easily move the services to Alicante South (Murcia) which is closer to Alicante than Beauvais is to Paris.

blueplatinum
11th May 2011, 19:06
AENA, the managing group of the airport had also provided evidence that RyanAir was actively using air-bridges at the airports of Madrid, Gran Canaria, Barcelona and Malaga.I can confirm FR use air-bridges at LPA - I would say "more often than not". However, I suspect that AENA do not charge for them - there are normally spare air-bridges except at peak times.

Jamie2k9
11th May 2011, 19:17
AENA, the managing group of the airport had also provided evidence that RyanAir was actively using air-bridges at the airports of Madrid, Gran Canaria, Barcelona and Malaga.

They have no choise when it comes to using them in Malaga, Madrid, Barcelona. All those airports want all airlines to use them unless it's not possible. They also use them in ACE.

They have nearly always used them in BCN, AGP and MAD but as they didn't use them in ALC until recently then I can see where they are coming from. ALC shouldn't of build a new terminal with all airbridges.

They could easily move the services to Alicante South (Murcia) which is closer to Alicante than Beauvais is to Paris.

That may well happon with the new airport in Murcia to be operational by summer 2012. As the airport won't be operated by AENA I wouldn't be suprised as I'm sure they don't have any airlines lined up to operate from the airport.

On another note Ryanair may close ther Reus base for a few months next winter.

wawkrk
11th May 2011, 19:56
A snippet from MOL.Or was it Father Jack.

Despite facing criticism for Ryanair’s customer service, O’Leary was quick to defend the airline, concluding: "This small, snotty paddy airline is now the world’s favourite. Quite simply, it’s cheap **** off.

It seems the word was cut for no reason, he did not say fu.
However, it can be seen in news reports without editing.

CARNMANORLAD
12th May 2011, 12:00
I flew into TFS on Tuesday with RYR and an airbridge was used.

frfly
12th May 2011, 13:11
Airbridges are used in BCN, MAD, TFS, ACE, LPA, AGP and now ALC. This makes the 35 minute turnaround nearly impossible. Delays become frequent as slots are missed and the operation just isn't as efficient.

I am surprised AENA dont give airlines an option if they have the ability to use either or.

I would think the new airport near Murcia will become a base, and take a lot of traffic from ALC, maybe in the summer see a split of 5 A/C at each base. This is purely speculation however.

GnRdL
12th May 2011, 16:08
I would think the new airport near Murcia will become a base, and take a lot of traffic from ALC, maybe in the summer see a split of 5 A/C at each base. This is purely speculation however.
Yes, pure speculation.

Does anyone have any load factors from Magdeburg-Cochstedt? How are the routes performing?
According to AENA stats, which were published today, all RYR routes from/to CSO had a low load factor:
- LPA: 1.907/16 (63,1%)
- ALC: 2.042/18 (60,0%)
- GRO: 1.973/18 (58,0%)
- AGP: 1.963/18 (57,7%)

Regarding Alicante, CSO was the route with lowest load factor.
RYR - ALC stats: Imageshack - ryralcstatsabril2011.png (http://imageshack.us/f/34/ryralcstatsabril2011.png/)

RAT 5
12th May 2011, 16:57
Article in Daliy T travel section last Saturday. RYR now make 1.5bn per year from add on charges. Ouch. The new calamity tax will raise 150m every year, when they only spent 1/2 that last year on stikes & volcanos, which caused this new tax in the first place. Let's wait for the 1 euro airbridge tax. That's 75m every year for a small % of that in costs. This is really how to make a small fortune out of avaition; and how to make a bigger one when you feel like it.

wawkrk
12th May 2011, 17:03
Ryan aim for quick turn arounds and we all know the reason is to keep fares and costs down, fine. But, what seems to occur quite often, once the doors are closed, then we sit there waiting for what seems like for ever, waiting for air traffic control permission to start.
My point is, in reality, just how much extra does an air bidge cost if it's not being paid for and I assume less ground staff are required.
In Winter, it can be so bloody awful walking a big distance over a rain swept apron.

Facelookbovvered
12th May 2011, 17:34
Double edge sword with air bridges, me thinks, yes its true that in "its a knock out" style of boarding it saves a few minutes, but if you then have to wait for a ambilift to come to the R1 door for someone who can't make the stairs but could use the bridge it can be swings and roundabouts!

It can only be a matter of time before airports or the powers that be enforce APU shut down on turn a round and also ensure electrical power is from a ground source and not filthy GPU's

It is the Ryanair model that requires 25 minutes and warp 9 taxi speeds, if they insist on steps then fine, put them in a remote area and use buses, oh i forgot they won't want to pay for them either, tough sh*t

Nothing beats watching people get p*ss wet through dashing for the aircraft/terminal back in the UK

Add on charges

It will be very interesting to see how FR deal with the compensation surcharge when they have to comply with CAA requirement on transparent charges from 1st of June, you just know they'll find a dodge, to be fair the like of BA should be made to include all non optional charges in the advertised price, including fuel.

Card charges

I see which have launched a super complaint against airlines over the abuse of CC charges per person per sector, i personally can not see any justification for more than £1.99 per transaction or a % of total on debit cards and a bit more on Credit Cards

I think that in the fullness of time the prices you see is the price you pay

racedo
12th May 2011, 20:34
Article in Daliy T travel section last Saturday. RYR now make 1.5bn per year from add on charges. Ouch. The new calamity tax will raise 150m every year, when they only spent 1/2 that last year on stikes & volcanos, which caused this new tax in the first place. Let's wait for the 1 euro airbridge tax. That's 75m every year for a small % of that in costs. This is really how to make a small fortune out of avaition; and how to make a bigger one when you feel like it.

Lazy journalism at its worst as Ryanair Ancillary revenues shown at Q3 i.e. 9 Months show €590 million.

FR-
13th May 2011, 06:00
Spot on racedo.

Might I add, The new calamity tax will raise 150m every year, Not true, many of the offers, ie £7 fares which I have just paid for a flgiht to Oslo, the £2 'calamity' tax was not added. About 25% of fares sold are bargin tickets which do not pay the full tax.

Its about time people read financial reports and come here with facts.

fr-

bia botal
13th May 2011, 08:23
Lazy journalism at its worst as Ryanair Ancillary revenues shown at Q3 i.e. 9 Months show €590 million.

665 million from airports alone! 1.5 bil does sound a bit rich but if the European courts start to bring a halt to airport subsidies then ryr will start to be exposed, loose the court cases over contract pilots and the company will be loss making.

RAT 5
13th May 2011, 12:18
"loose the court cases over contract pilots and the company will be loss making."

Sorry if I'm behind the times; what court case?

racedo
13th May 2011, 14:07
665 million from airports alone! 1.5 bil does sound a bit rich but if the European courts start to bring a halt to airport subsidies then ryr will start to be exposed, loose the court cases over contract pilots and the company will be loss making.

Eh !!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you really mean that because if you did then lets see in 2010
Ancillary revenue was €664 million,
DT (idiot claim) €1.5 Billion was supposedly from those extra charges
so approx €2.2 Billion ....................
BUT total revenue was €3 billion so 66.5 million passengers only pay €12 a head or €800 million in tickets...............Wow

But then again as ancillary revenue is defined as non ticket revenue it then makes a bit more sense rather than a false interpretation.

bia botal
14th May 2011, 11:08
Did you really mean that because if you did then lets see in 2010
Ancillary revenue was €664 million
Providing an accurate estimation of Ryanair’s total income from airport subsidies is a highly hazardous endeavor. Because of the inherently private nature of bilateral agreements between airports and the airline, there is hardly a reliable way of keeping proper tracking of the exact amount of subsidies given to Ryanair and of the number of airports doing so. However, extrapolations based on known facts and data about airport’s and Ryanair can provide an idea of what airport’s subsidies represent in the company’s total revenues. In March 2010, competing airline company Air France-KLM filed a lawsuit in Bruxelles against Ryanair on grounds that it was receiving illegal aids and disrupting competition. In doing so the attacking company provided some estimations of the amount of aid received by Ryanair. According to its own, allegedly conservative, estimation, the Irish airline benefits from at least € 10 to € 11 subsidies per passenger. An in-depth look would reveal that this was actually calculated from average subsidies per passengers from French airports and extrapolated to the rest of Europe. But recent inquiries into the legality of state-aids received by Ryanair all over Europe would tend to corroborate the fact that Ryanair does benefit from airport subsidies all over Europe. Such per passenger amounts lead to a gross estimation of total state-aid received of around € 665 million, postulating an average € 10 per passenger transported: 66,5 million (scheduled passengers in 2010) x € 10 (lower-end estimation of per passenger state-aids received) = € 665 million Interestingly, and as has been widely underlined, such amount of state-aid represent a large part of Ryanair’s operating revenue, and, from an accounting point of view, any loss of it would jeopardize Ryanair’s yearly revenue.

Sorry if I'm behind the times; what court case?
As recently as September 2010 Ryanair was brought to court in France in a case related to workers on its Marseille base. Ryanair is being accused of fiscal dumping by declaring its workers in Ireland when they actually live and exercise their work from France. The case is centered on the fact that Ryanair’s employees based in France are in an illegal situation. Although European legislation concerning mobile workers states that these are considered to be working in the country of registration of the vessel they work on, a French decree from 2006 regarding cabin crew and pilots working in France superseding European rule states the contrary. Implications regarding that conundrum had been raised as early as the beginning of 2010, at in which point, Ryanair, through its CEO, stated that, were legal proceedings to be engaged, the company would close its Marseille base. Following the beginning of the legal battle, Ryanair put its menace to execution and announced, in October 2010, that it would close its Marseille base and thirteen routes from that base. The company has announced that it would plead against the decree, declared that it was behaving in accordance with European law and would take the case to a European court.This announce has been received in France with mixed feelings and upon declarations by French government officials that contradictions between French and European law were proving a bit costly it remains highly doubtful whether the case will turn out against Ryanair. However, recent evolutions of the case seem to indicate that the airline is now at risk of losing that battle. After a French deputy asked, in an open question to the European parliament, whether Ryanair employee’s situation at Marseille was legal, the deputies answered by stating that airline employees based in a foreign country are not covered by European directive 96/71/CE and should pay social contributions and taxes inthe country they live and work.

All and all what this means no matter what side of the ryanair fence you sit is that the Ryanair CEO has managed over the years to get under the skin of a great many people, some of them in powerful positions, these people have learnt not to attempt to confront mol head on, so are now instead useing legel proceedings, if some or all of them come out against Ryanair then the company's approach to the market would have to change. Its airfares would have to increase to that of its nearest rivals.

racedo
14th May 2011, 17:07
Providing an accurate estimation of Ryanair’s total income from airport subsidies is a highly hazardous endeavor. Because of the inherently private nature of bilateral agreements between airports and the airline, there is hardly a reliable way of keeping proper tracking of the exact amount of subsidies given to Ryanair and of the number of airports doing so. However, extrapolations based on known facts and data about airport’s and Ryanair can provide an idea of what airport’s subsidies represent in the company’s total revenues. In March 2010, competing airline company Air France-KLM filed a lawsuit in Bruxelles against Ryanair on grounds that it was receiving illegal aids and disrupting competition. In doing so the attacking company provided some estimations of the amount of aid received by Ryanair. According to its own, allegedly conservative, estimation, the Irish airline benefits from at least € 10 to € 11 subsidies per passenger. An in-depth look would reveal that this was actually calculated from average subsidies per passengers from French airports and extrapolated to the rest of Europe. But recent inquiries into the legality of state-aids received by Ryanair all over Europe would tend to corroborate the fact that Ryanair does benefit from airport subsidies all over Europe. Such per passenger amounts lead to a gross estimation of total state-aid received of around € 665 million, postulating an average € 10 per passenger transported: 66,5 million (scheduled passengers in 2010) x € 10 (lower-end estimation of per passenger state-aids received) = € 665 million Interestingly, and as has been widely underlined, such amount of state-aid represent a large part of Ryanair’s operating revenue, and, from an accounting point of view, any loss of it would jeopardize Ryanair’s yearly revenue.

Right and we take Air France's word on it......after all its not like they are protected from competition or receive French sudsidies or even more direct the control of slots all across the main cities.

Taking a number, shouting about it and keeping claiming it doesn't make it correct or accurate.

racedo
14th May 2011, 17:11
As recently as September 2010 Ryanair was brought to court in France in a case related to workers on its Marseille base. Ryanair is being accused of fiscal dumping by declaring its workers in Ireland when they actually live and exercise their work from France. The case is centered on the fact that Ryanair’s employees based in France are in an illegal situation. Although European legislation concerning mobile workers states that these are considered to be working in the country of registration of the vessel they work on, a French decree from 2006 regarding cabin crew and pilots working in France superseding European rule states the contrary. Implications regarding that conundrum had been raised as early as the beginning of 2010, at in which point, Ryanair, through its CEO, stated that, were legal proceedings to be engaged, the company would close its Marseille base. Following the beginning of the legal battle, Ryanair put its menace to execution and announced, in October 2010, that it would close its Marseille base and thirteen routes from that base. The company has announced that it would plead against the decree, declared that it was behaving in accordance with European law and would take the case to a European court.This announce has been received in France with mixed feelings and upon declarations by French government officials that contradictions between French and European law were proving a bit costly it remains highly doubtful whether the case will turn out against Ryanair. However, recent evolutions of the case seem to indicate that the airline is now at risk of losing that battle. After a French deputy asked, in an open question to the European parliament, whether Ryanair employee’s situation at Marseille was legal, the deputies answered by stating that airline employees based in a foreign country are not covered by European directive 96/71/CE and should pay social contributions and taxes inthe country they live and work.

As stated by Mayor of Marseille the law was introduced into France to protect Air France.

However the idea that it only happened because of Ryanair is false as Eurocamp / Keycamp and countless other British holiday firms employ Brits on UK contracts to work in France and pay no tax or social contributions in France.

France is looking after Air France nothing more in introducing a law designed solely to protect it, Italy did the same thing with its PSO routes with Easyjet.

NorthernCounties
14th May 2011, 17:21
France is looking after Air France nothing more in introducing a law designed solely to protect it, Italy did the same thing with its PSO routes with Easyjet.

Would expect nothing more from the French Government. And it's not only in the aviation market... On intercity rail journeys between France and Germany, rail companies have to ensure German employees are on the service as the French refuse to provide certain at seat services.

The whole furore around Siemens trains being chosen for the next generation of Eurostar trains and Frances pressure on Ireland to increase it's corporation tax, when a report showed that with the grants France gives to home grown business, it's corporation tax is effectively 4.5%, some 8% lower than Ireland's. It's a complete joke.

Anyway back to the thread, I apologise for any digression.

MARKEYD
14th May 2011, 22:10
Guessing by the fact that Ryanair have not published there winter schedule from Bournemouth yet , that again they are only going to operate a 9 month schedule and leave Bournemouth from end of October and start again in Feb leaving Southampton / Bristol and Exeter to pick up the passengers who would have other wise supported Bournemouth in the lean winter months

Very frustrating for the airport i would imagine , but no doubt looking at the way Humberside / Durham / Norwich / Newquay/ Blackpool etc have gone in the winter months and praying its not going to be the same ................ but car park charges big mistake !

frfly
14th May 2011, 22:51
This winter might prove to be one of the most difficult yet. Fuel prices have sky rocketed and demand from regional airports is proving not to be enough in comparison to high taxation on flights from the UK. However, I think I full pull out is silly, as its just more work for the company to keep shifting people around bases. Just do 2 sectors a day, a canary or a southern spain a day should keep a decent load factor.

eu01
15th May 2011, 08:45
Ryanair, headed by Ryan O'Leary, earns more than £1billion a year from extra costs like online check-in fees, card and baggage charges.How on Earth has The Daily Mirror (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/05/15/jet-passengers-charged-over-100-to-correct-typos-on-tickets-115875-23132190/) been able to calculate this while its journo didn't even remember O'Leary's first name?

bia botal
15th May 2011, 11:24
What ever way you look at it racedo, if Ryanairs subsidies come under attack the game is up. You can wave your Ryanair loving flag and believe the propaganda is you wish, most others don't, and the airlines with-in Europe that have political might will try everything they can to regain market share lost to the low fare carriers. Ryanair are the masters of spin but there tricks are now well known, more and more pressure will come on them, they will have there wins no doubt, but they will have there losses as well, and that as a Ryanair employee is where my concern lies.

FR-
15th May 2011, 12:26
Closing BOH for ryanair does not make any problems at all really. If you reduce it to just two sectors a day, you will still have a base captain and base manager to pay, not really value for money for doing so little work.
Just close it for 3 months, and might i add i did say it would be closed for the winter a few months ago.

fr-

racedo
15th May 2011, 14:14
What ever way you look at it racedo, if Ryanairs subsidies come under attack the game is up. You can wave your Ryanair loving flag and believe the propaganda is you wish, most others don't, and the airlines with-in Europe that have political might will try everything they can to regain market share lost to the low fare carriers. Ryanair are the masters of spin but there tricks are now well known, more and more pressure will come on them, they will have there wins no doubt, but they will have there losses as well, and that as a Ryanair employee is where my concern lies.

Europes so called national airlines lost because they refused to open up new routes, charged massive fares and protected the vested interests of their employee and union rights while forgetting the passengers.

State subsidies are illegal unless its to Air France etc but if people wish a level playing field then lets have it including everything including slot controls.

Start telling voters that well we protected you, so now you pay €300 per person for your flight instead of €60. We protecting a national airline that they never flew with is one way to ensure voters take their revenge at the ballot box.

Or telling it to employees of an airport that National Carriers refuse to serve, that we have shut your airport to protect the national airline's position in the capital 300 km away really gets people interested.

looot
15th May 2011, 19:40
Interesting documentary about the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WDtNRkl9PE&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsOudkvmrlg&NR=1

Sober Lark
16th May 2011, 12:24
My reading of the documentary is that Ryanair is seen as a threat to the French lifestyle of having a 35 hour working week with no paid overtime and eight weeks holiday.

Coquelet
16th May 2011, 14:11
Only interviews of union leaders.
Only CGT union - ie the ex-communist union (notice the Che Guevara pic in the background)
Only CGT-Air France, CGT-Sailors of Marseille, CGT-SNCM Corsica Ferries, etc - ie where Ryanair is a concurrent
Not very credible.

compton3bravo
16th May 2011, 14:14
Yes Sober Lark and very nice too. It is all what we should aspire too instead of thousands trying to scrape a living on the minimum wage. Get the priorities right - family, food and time to enjoy it. Work to live and not live to work - that was my motto!

blueplatinum
16th May 2011, 20:36
Closing BOH for ryanair does not make any problems at all really. If you reduce it to just two sectors a day, you will still have a base captain and base manager to pay, not really value for money for doing so little work.
Just close it for 3 months, and might i add i did say it would be closed for the winter a few months ago.FR could still provide a service at BOH using aircraft based elsewhere as they do with the entire program at MAN.

racedo
17th May 2011, 11:58
buy in non-local produce and move activity to outside towns and cities... In the game that is European business I think Ryanair is doing what it should to survive and play the game. That is the world we live in... I'm sure the representatives of these local councils wouldn't give out money unless it meant tangible returns.

There have I believe been a number of studies done which looked at investment in areas to provide jobs from EU investment money, I think it was something along the lines that a €1 million investment would provide 25-30 jobs in the year of the investment and disappear as soon as funding stops.

In an airports case a €1 million investment in route support would likely bring in 100,000 passengers a year and then it started to get interesting.

Their is a Tourism Income Multiplier which takes estimates of spend by a incoming tourist and gross this up based on what the tourist is likely to do.

Best example seen was Ryanair going into an area with few previous flights.....the airport jobs were easy to know about as that was direct. Taking account that tourists needed somewhere to stay where no International hotel chains, it meant locally owned accommodation was used adding to local jobs, similar in restaurants etc but the restaurants used local produce which meant the tourist spend was disappated within the local economy rather than being sent as profits to elsewhere.

Based on 100,000 into an area on a low average spend per person of €200 per stay this add €20 million into local economy, once you start applying the multiplier a number of times than this €20 million sales moves up quite substantially plus taking account of VAT etc then Governments generally end up with well in excess of the €1 million investment in developing new routes.

This doesn't take into account that these 100,000 people may have created the equivalent of 200 Full time equivalent jobs throughout the year but in an area of high unemployment IF you take account that you will make savings on Unemployment benefit when people are working plus gaining in VAT on fuel / accomodation etc it would be unlikely to produce less than the €1 million invested.

artyh
17th May 2011, 15:50
Can anyone advise when Ryanair's winter schedule is likely to be complete on their website. In particular I note that the STN-AOI route is not showing any flights available after 29th October although all other routes into neighbouring parts of Italy are present on their website. Does this mean this route has been dropped for the winter - or just not yet input to the site?

Jamie2k9
17th May 2011, 19:13
The final winter schedule will all be completed by late June or July.

frfly
17th May 2011, 22:29
How long is a piece of string....major routes get "re-released" - on the same or similar schedule as last year, to allow the early bookers to start filling seats. These are out now. 99% of the time this changes (sometimes right up until 4 weeks before departure) as analysis is done on what routes are profitable etc, new routes added etc. Everyone expects this year to be even more cut throat with off peak route freezes, especially departing the UK.

pamann
17th May 2011, 22:44
Also not worth booking FR so far in advance. Always cheapest 4-8 weeks prior to the dates you want to travel, unless you're looking at Christmas. Just a top tip. :ok:

artyh
18th May 2011, 18:17
Thanks all - will wait till June/July - realised the bit about waiting for 6-8 weeks beforehand except for Christmas. Usually the AOI route is available fairly early in the process thats all and a few owners of holiday accom served by RYR flights were getting a bit anxious.

Hamburg 2K8
20th May 2011, 14:03
I only ever fly Ryanair on business from Manchester or Liverpool to Dublin. A few weeks ago I booked a return trip from MAN to DUB for Saturday 21st May and checked in online. Yesterday I tried to change the booking to Saturday 28th May but I was told that because I have already checked in online I cannot change the dates of the booking. However, when I flew with EasyJet last month to Spain and checked in online, I had to return 2 days earlier than planned and managed to ammend my return journey date with no problem but with a fee. I don't read the terms and conditions on Ryanair's website even though I tick the box to confirm I have read them before searching and booking flights. Is there no way I can ammend these flights? I need to go to DUB on Sat 28th or Sat 4th June for a reasonable price and looking at FR & EI for those weekends it currentley looks very expensive.

Jamie2k9
20th May 2011, 14:10
If you ring the UK or Irish call centre and ask them to cancel your check-in they will and then you can change the dates and check-in again.

It may be cheeper just to rebook with FR rather than changing the dates.

lfc84
20th May 2011, 14:22
just to confirm (with links to relevant confirmations)

as you have discovered, you cannot change the reservation once you have checked in with ryanair

Can I change my booking after I have checked-in online? (http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/can-i-change-my-booking-after-i-have-checked-in-online)

however, with easyjet you can

Can I change my flight details after I (http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4058/kw/change)

as the previous poster says it might be cheaper to book a new ticket rather than amend the existing.

from LPL you only have FR as your choice of operator to DUB.

from MAN you have a choice of FR or EI

blueplatinum
22nd May 2011, 22:10
just to confirm (with links to relevant confirmations)

as you have discovered, you cannot change the reservation once you have checked in with ryanair

Can I change my booking after I have checked-in online?

however, with easyjet you can

Can I change my flight details after I

as the previous poster says it might be cheaper to book a new ticket rather than amend the existing.

from LPL you only have FR as your choice of operator to DUB.

from MAN you have a choice of FR or EIWith EZY you don't seem to actually check in. I booked a flight yesterday BFS-LPL and when I had completed the booking it then gave me the option to "Print Boarding Card". Simply making the booking appeared to have checked me in!

anna_list
23rd May 2011, 06:39
Morning all,

Full year results out this morning. Key points:

Adj profit after tax up from €319m to €401m
Yields up 12%, sector length up 10%,
Revenues up 21%, passengers up 8%

Looking forward to FY 2012/13:

Expects to ground up to 80 aircraft this winter (was 40 this winter)
Will grow passenger numbers by 10% during the summer, but then reduce by 4% in the winter, giving overall growth of 4% this year (75m pax).
Operating cost per passenger to rise by 13% this year, mainly blaming fuel price
Yields to rise 12% this year
Profit to be roughly similar: About €400m

http://www.ryanair.com/doc/investor/2011/q4_2011_doc.pdf

Share price: Currently down by over 7%.

Mr Angry from Purley
23rd May 2011, 11:10
anyone out there had problems with FR res system when deselecting travel insurance, screen freeze, no progess. Works when i select insurance!:\

StevieW
23rd May 2011, 12:52
I'm one of those "non-employees but representatives on site" and I'll charge you if you don't adhere to the terms and conditions which you agree to when making a booking.

That said, I always recommend re-packing a bag (transferring weight into hand luggage, for example) rather than paying excess.

Facelookbovvered
23rd May 2011, 17:10
Interesting maths re investment and the subject of route support, what seem to forget is that unless this £200 per head, which is probably on the low side is new money that would have been left in the bank then all you are doing is moving it from one holiday destination to another. The bigger problem is that a lot of these out the way places are worth visiting once maybe twice, take Granada, I heard of one couple who went on a cheap Ryanair deal and were amazed that there was no beach!!

Another person bought property there because it was so cheap and near to the airport, now they have to fly to AGP because Ryanair pulled out when the money stopped, as I say there is some benefit but a lot of the time is distorts the Market for a short period of time, they have created many jobs and much wealth, but if you believe their spin on job numbers for each press release there would be no unemployment in Europe !!

BigFrank
23rd May 2011, 17:25
Not sure about the jobs figures, but I´ll grant you that The Leprechaun his´self and most of the Ryan family have become rich beyond the dreams of avarice.

Errrr, that´s about it.

racedo
23rd May 2011, 17:30
Face

I guess with age we see people acting diffently but I know few people, aside from Emigrants returning home for family events or people celebrating an Anniversary / Big Birthday who would have a weekend away 20 years ago that involved flying.

I think I know few who have not had at least 1 a year (some 1 every month or two) over last 5 years. I know my kids are relatively young but their flights are into 3 figures, least eldest one is.

I don't think its movement of money from one holiday destination to another more like a decision that instead of having a nice meal out every weekend we save it up and a little bit more to have a weekend away given that a night out in London with a show and dinner leaves people with bugger all change from £200.

Some destinations will work, some won't but regions who see the potential and invest to grow the initial inflow will do ok in the longer term.

BigFrank
23rd May 2011, 17:41
...certainly help to keep a flagging show, based on the Ratner mark II business model, on the road.

But once wee Micky has insulted all the current members of the local cabinet as well as their better half, even the densest of EU regional politicians eventually sees the light.

And one or two of them even reach the nirvana of true enlightenment and begin to ponder what is known in the chanceries of Europe as the Ryanair-paradox:

"if that´s how he treats important people like ourselves, how does he treat our hard up citizens when they try to board his planes ?"

Facelookbovvered
23rd May 2011, 18:57
Fair point about the meal v a short break, but it's the same thing, if all these people are flying to nowhere instead of having a meal and creating jobs then the less meals means less jobs?

It is of course a free ish Market and people have every right to go an spend their money how and where they want, additionally travel does broaden the mind and as you say all to often 70+ million can't be wrong! However the expectation of what you get with most LoCo is very low and FR don't disappoint in that respect, perhaps if Hull threw a million bucks at FR a few people( that have never been) might be persuaded to visit that god foresaken place, if only once.

racedo
24th May 2011, 00:10
Fair point about the meal v a short break, but it's the same thing, if all these people are flying to nowhere instead of having a meal and creating jobs then the less meals means less jobs?

Dunno that much as given cost of night out in major UK city v elsewhere is significant and a restaurant losing 5 customers a week is nothing as makes little difference to it.

befree
24th May 2011, 08:34
restaurant are going under by the day. Ryanair have prediced they will be ex-growth for the winter and have an overall growth for the year of 4%. They face another 10-20% rise in fuel cost once the hedge runs out. They are to increase fares this year and will have to do so next year. Next year they could see pax going down for the whole year.

Telstar
28th May 2011, 09:32
Can anyone confirm or deny speculation that Ryanair will wet lease in from Titan and/or Monarch to cover a crewing shortage?

Racedo? Jamie2k9?

FR-
28th May 2011, 11:39
Are you for real? We have crew on a ryanair contract just sitting at home.

fr-

Facelookbovvered
28th May 2011, 15:15
I have to agree with FR, whilst it is true they have a good few crew heading for the Gulf the training machine grinds on full steam. I think any shortage will not hit until 2012/2013 when crews wake up up to the fact that well paid jobs based on 900+ hours year are not the same when sat on your arse over winter, but until there is a significant increase in pilot jobs, where will they go any way?

Another good set of numbers out of FR, but some concerns ahead, i don't think fuel will be one of them though.

The shrinkage in spending power of the average bod in the UK and Europe to follow, will cut FR volumes more than other no LoCo airlines in the same that the perceived increase in spending power during the debt boom increased it.

FR insist that recession is good for them and up to a point its correct as people shop around to make the money go further, but that tends to come to an abrupt halt when out of work, conversely the retired with good pension schemes, no mortgage or kids or debts to feed, or working families with young children will avoid like the plague the Easyjet/FR its a knock out scrum

In a few days time FR are committed to showing fares including tax & charges, i am sure that for the first few weeks there will be some good head line fares if only to mask the change.

Parking 80 aircraft is good sense in winter but becoming a summer only airline has huge risks because of the impact on crew incomes

blueplatinum
28th May 2011, 18:01
Parking 80 aircraft is good sense in winter but becoming a summer only airline has huge risks because of the impact on crew incomesPerhaps they should open up some more Canary Islands routes to keep everyone busy in the Winter. Sunshine 365 days of the year here ;)

ericlday
28th May 2011, 18:50
Sunshine 365 days of the year here .......if only !!!!!!
Might be in LPA but not in TFS

Bagmanlgw
28th May 2011, 22:02
Heard at work that Ryanair had applied for slots for

4 x weekly LGW- TFS 1940
3 x weekly LGW-ACE 1205

Starting mid September

Nothing on sale yet anyone any further news if actually going ahead ?

Bagmanlgw

ericlday
29th May 2011, 07:57
LGW - TFS will be interesting against Easyjet daily service (double on Fridays). Let battle commence !!!!!

Jippie
29th May 2011, 12:22
@Bagmanlgw (http://www.pprune.org/members/134911-bagmanlgw): Ryanair also have slots for TFS-EIN twice weekly starting the 10th of september.

racedo
29th May 2011, 17:13
LGW - TFS will be interesting against Easyjet daily service (double on Fridays). Let battle commence !!!!!

Yields and Load factor will be the main impact.

BHX2FRA
30th May 2011, 19:50
Anyone know why flightstats.co.uk no longer shows any FR flight information?

potash
30th May 2011, 21:53
Do they charge for there services. :D

Pilot DAR
31st May 2011, 23:08
I admit I have not read all of this thread. However, Ryanair treated like a fool today (and I guess I was one, 'cause I paid their comletely unreasonable extra charges, and still flew). But I was really close to just walking away from what I had paid, and choosing Air Berlin instead. When their hidden extra charges exceed by five times, the price of the advertized ticket, it's time to walk.... You could easily convince me that their staff get commisions from finding every little thing to charge extra for.

I'm completely unhappy with how Ryanair staff treated me today, and I'm never choosing them again. I'd rather spend more, and be treated as though the airline appreciated my business! Yes, I am willing to pay more for courteous treatment - something can be too cheap!

Jamie2k9
31st May 2011, 23:24
What were you charged for?

JSCL
31st May 2011, 23:45
Likely the ability to breath the air in the cabin and to have a seatbelt were required additional charges. Oh and the required up to 4 hour delays addon which ryanair enjoys putting on to you.

I can't stand flying ryanair, flew twice so far in the last 5 years and both were dreadful. Delays and had bites on my legs from both of them.

daz211
1st Jun 2011, 06:47
Likely the ability to breath the air in the cabin and to have a seatbelt were required additional charges. Oh and the required up to 4 hour delays addon which ryanair enjoys putting on to you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GROW UP !
Love them or hate them "RYANAIR" as we all know do not charge from Air in the cabin or seat belts and the REQUIRED 4 hour delay which Ryanair ENJOY putting on you, what are you going on about ??? (SLANDER)...

Pilot DAR - you were not charged Extra for anything ! you were given a SUB-TOTAL for the flight on the first page of booking then it was upto you, like on alot of airlines, if you wanted to add bags and insurance you were also give many options on how to pay including a FREE option ...
You had a very clear amount shown on every page of your booking and a TOTAL amount shown to you before you clicked the final button to pay.

lplsprog
1st Jun 2011, 07:31
Well said DAZ. The only figure you should be interested in is on the final page, the rest is just bumph, if that is what you are prepared to pay then book it and stop crying! I have used Ryanair several times and have not had any great problems apart from the inane broadcast at the end of the flight when on time.:}

Pilot DAR
1st Jun 2011, 09:24
Well, "extra" is my way of expressing that Ryanair either did, or attempted to/would have, (had I not objected), exacted money from me after the payment for the ticket on the internet, which none of the dozens of other airlines I have ever flown ever have so boldly attempted.

Let's bear in mind that Ryanair's website would not accept my Canadian Visa credit card for payment, and offered no other means for me to pay, or to contact them in any way to arrange to pay in person. A friend had to pay with his credit card, make the booking, and I had to pay him cash back. Funny though, when Ryanair wanted to collect additional payment, they were eager to accept my credit card then!

When it is obvious from the short timelines of my booking, that I had absolutely no access to my email, or a printer, to charge 40 Euro to print a boarding pass when I check in to a 39.90 Euro flight, is an entirely new experience for me - and unacceptable to me.

When the Ryanair staff member who takes and checks my booking information, and passport, prints the boarding pass saying "Jim" instead of the "James" of my passport, I don't mind. But when the next Ryanair staff member attempts to exact a further 150 Euro, to then change (correct the incorrect information they entered) the name on my ticket, I will not tolerate it. Why would I be expected to pay many times the cost of the original ticket, in additional fees, to correct an error they had transcribed?

My experience with airlines I like, is that unless the passenger was apparently wrecklessly oblivious to "the rules", they would accomodate the passenger as best as possible, with the least impact as possible. On the other hand, I felt that booking the ticket, and going through the process to board the flight was some kind of skills test, with finacial penalties at every turn, for imperfection.

That's not the way I want to travel, there can be enough stressors as it is, I don't need the airline adding to them. Obviously there are enough people who have either learned the ins and outs or are willing to go along with Ryanair's rules, to keep the flights full, so be it - but not me!

It is my opinion (having worked several years in airline customer service), that company policies which result in stressed or angry passengers, will result in longer customer service times, and stressed staff. That staff member might then take longer to do their job, and be less cheerful for the next passenger, and it goes around and around....

I will say that aside from bold cabin decor, and too frequent cabin announcements to advertise things to me, the flight itself was actually ok.

As many American airlines openly acknowledge on their cabin announcements "we know you have a choice in your travel, and we're pleased you chose us". Yes, I do have a choice, and it won't be Ryanair again!

BFS101
1st Jun 2011, 09:35
unless the passenger was apparently wrecklessly oblivious to "the rules", they would accomodate the passenger as best as possible, with the least impact as possible.
As you would expect in 2011.

with finacial penalties at every turn, for imperfection.
And then welcome to the world of Ryanair!!!

BigFrank
1st Jun 2011, 10:21
No topic is of more interest to me than safety. It is the underlying reason for my membership of these boards. Other incidental topics are far far far more entertaining but none is remotely as important.

Watching the reaction a few posts above of a "member of the airline family" (I presume) who will not accept the truth about Ryanair highlights to me at least just how impossible it can be to make human beings react in a rational way.

And that´s when sitting in front of a computer screen at 0.5m from ground level and with nothing more stressful than an illusion-piercing electronic post to engender irrational reactions !

I hope s/he isn´t allowed anywhere near the pointy-end which slams into the Pyrenees first.

Telstar
1st Jun 2011, 10:36
Are you for real? We have crew on a ryanair contract just sitting at home.

fr-

You must work for a different Ryanair. I get calls from rostering almost every thursday evening begging me to work my days off as they are short of Pilots.

So to ask again. Anyone heard anything about wet leasing?

ayroplain
1st Jun 2011, 11:28
A friend had to pay with his credit card, make the booking, and I had to pay him cash back.....Why would I be expected to pay many times the cost of the original ticket, in additional fees, to correct an error they had transcribed?
Ryanair does not "transcribe" or change names willy-nilly. It's quite obvious that your friend typed "Jim" when he was booking on your behalf and that's what appeared in the booking.

daz211
1st Jun 2011, 11:35
Im sorry but how you can blame Ryanair for YOU not reading the terms and conditions and the reminders that you need to check in on line and print your boarding card is beond me ... Not only that you say your name on your passport differed from the name on your booking and say Ryanair entred it wrong I was under the impresion that YOU the passenger make the booking and enter your OWN name ...
You can not blame an Airline infact you should be congratulating them for following Rules and regulations regarding Aviation security and immigration policy...

So on reflection --- You have not followed the terms and conditions of the Airline and then have the nerve to blame THEM !!
I am still puzzled as to why you think RYANAIR entred your name wrong then charged you to correct it when you enter your own details or your friend did please feel free to correct me if I am wrong im just finding it hard to understand.

mickyman
1st Jun 2011, 15:08
ASFKAP

....and the ability to read and comprehend comes in handy....

MM

ScotsSLF
1st Jun 2011, 15:14
I am amazed by the incapacity of people to read the rules and regulations surrounding low-cost airlines. Their arrogance (and ignorance) beggars belief and from supposedly intelligent people (or maybe not). Being a regular flyer with BA, FlyBe, FR and EZY I know exactly what I can and cannot get away with. In the early days I fell foul of some of FR's and EZY's terms but hey you dust yourself down, learn how to manage the rules and still get the best deal, get there safely and usually on time. What I dont need personally is being surrounded by spoilt brats who despite having themselves to blame try to blame the airline concerned. Some people need to grow up.

TSR2
1st Jun 2011, 15:44
I think some people are missing the point. As I understand it, this was an airport check-in and the Ryanair agent input a shortened common version of his first name prior to printing his boarding pass.

Pilot DAR
1st Jun 2011, 15:51
What I dont need personally is being surrounded by spoilt brats who despite having themselves to blame try to blame the airline concerned. Some people need to grow up.

Then fly Ryanair, 'cause you won't be surrounded by me!

I always want people and companies I deal with, to do good profitable business. If they are providning me a service, I expect them to profit, so they're around next time. I have never said I was unwilling to pay a reasonable cost for a service. If it costs them X Euro to makeup for my errors, I'll pay with with an appreciative smile, and a thank you. What I will not tolerate (part of being spoilt I suppose) is being charged immense sums to make minor corrections to booking arrangments, which are completely out of proportion, and seemingly punitive. If a Ryanair staff person can perform a function in 2 minutes, and I'm being charged 40 or 150 Euros for that service, I'm not being treated reasonably.

Happily, I have the money, and I have the choice. I will use my money to select a service provider, who operates in the same customer service theme that every other airline I have ever flown operates.

If I have to spend a half an hour carefully digesting the fine print in the terms and conditions, because they contian numerous traps I would otherwise miss, I'd rather save my time, spend a bit more on an airline who wants me to not feel that I have to count my fingers after a handshake, and enjoy my flight stress free.

What's the UK saying? "horses for courses"? So be it!

mickyman
1st Jun 2011, 15:54
Pilot DAR

'Yes, I do have a choice, and it won't be Ryanair again!'

Fair enough - just try changing 'minor' details with your next airline
at the same stage and report back -cheers

MM

daz211
1st Jun 2011, 16:01
I think your WRONG ! Ryanair do not do Airport check-in All passengers have to check-in on line with the name they provide at booking Ryanair only offer a bag drop system ... I might be wrong as I only ever travel with hand baggage .

eu01
1st Jun 2011, 16:07
if you're stupid enough to choose them

ASFKAP

I don't know the reason why you became so allergic to Ryanair, but the amount of adrenaline you use to treat your anaphylaxis seems to exceed the accepted doses. Just relax.

Ryanair has certainly pretty bad corporate culture, but it concerns mostly their partners, while many smart passengers do travel with them and cope well. They have no great expectations but no great disappointments either. They simply stick to the rules and have less problems than you might expect, why do you attempt to offend them?

daz211
1st Jun 2011, 16:24
If you're stupid enough to choose them...............

I think it should be "If your stupid enough NOT to use them" or maybe stupid enough not to understand the way to book VERY VERY VERY low fare Flighs and really if you cant book a flight and read the conditions of the Airline you should'ed even be out in public without a helper.

BigFrank
1st Jun 2011, 16:31
The language and the tone of several posts here reminds me of nothing so much as....the attitude of Ryanair to its esteemed and highly valued customers.

AKA "the Ratner Mark II model."

daz211
1st Jun 2011, 16:38
The language and the tone of several posts.

I think your getting confused, its not the tone your reading, its just pure frustration because many people on here know how Easy and Cheap it is to fly Ryanair.

Its not rocket science :ugh:.

frfly
1st Jun 2011, 20:06
Booking engine now shows all inclusive charging. Still shows a breakdown of the fare, but the first price displayed is the final price, without optional charges.

BigFrank
1st Jun 2011, 21:08
whether I am paying by VISA
if I am wearing black or brown shoes
if the lady beside me is my wife or my mistress
whether my passport is non-EU/EAA
if I am bringing a hand bag or the kitchen sink that day
if I want to be first on the bus to try to run up the stairs smartly before the others when I get off it (the bus, that is)
my mother´s maiden name
whether I want to pay for an interpreter to understand the FO

All of which were chargeable items the last time I read the 73 pages of closely printed terms and conditions, at least the last time I bothered to look at them they were. Though you need not waste time in posting to tell me that they are no longer there ! I for one appreciate that keeping up to date on the small print is all part of the pleasure of travelling with this fine company.

I did read them then before deciding I had no interest in paying out of my own hard earned dosh to be abused. Why I´m told that pre-1989, in East Berlin at least, being abused by the service provider was free under communism.

But paying for it. There´s a word for that, isn´t there ?

Edit: Some people are sensitive to derogatory remarks and some even feel it offensive. You will note what I have deleted. Please, not again.

wowzz
1st Jun 2011, 21:17
I cannot believe it, but I am actually agreeing with Daz on this!! I have just booked [reluctantly] with Ryanair, and having followed all the procedures, I have got a good one-way price STN-ALC, all additional costs being shown during the booking procedure - my only gripe would be the extra credit card costs per pax per leg, although in my case this was not really relevant.
My only concern, even now, is that having read pax reviews on other forums, is that certain ground-staff at STN tend to use pax cabin luggage as an income generator. I have made sure that my baggage strictly adheres to the Ryanair weight and size allowances - I will let everyone here [plus Essex trading Standards] know if Ryanair pull a fast one. In the interests of fairness, I will also report back if all goes smoothly.
Wish me luck!

mickyman
1st Jun 2011, 21:28
wowzz

'fairness' is all.

Good luck (?) happy flying (!)

MM

Falcon666
2nd Jun 2011, 03:48
Having travelled a lot recently with Ryanair i now find myself in the States flying with the likes of Jet blue and Southwest.
Booking with these guys is a breath of fresh air.
Firstly with Jetblue and Southwest the first checked in bag is free(20kg).
With Jetblue you can assign your seat-costs nothing unless you want extra legroom.On-line check in is free and no credit card fees.
With Southwest they also have first checked in bag free and use a boarding system of numbers relating to your boarding pass-You stand in line at the gate according to this number so no mass chaos trying to board.Again no on-line check in fee
I wonder if and when the LCCs in the Uk and Europe might adopt these ideas and actually make it simple for us - but then again it wouldnt make Ryanair the Ryanair we all like to moan about-would it!!

RAT 5
2nd Jun 2011, 09:23
What really gets our goat is not all the add-ons, although there are irritating, it is the myth being spun for many years that ez & FR are clones of SWA. As employees will tell you that is a fantasy, and pax are discovering the same. At ez, many years ago, the management was challenged to ask a senior SWA pilot and manager to visit fairyland and advise. Since Stelios trumpeted the fact that his study of SWA had spawned ez we thought that a review after a few years might be a sound idea. Met with deaf ears. Now more than ever is that review needed of all the LoCo's; but life is just a dream.

jpthomas72
2nd Jun 2011, 11:07
Just spotted this about an incident with a Ryanair jet at Lodz Airport in Poland yesterday. Send it through the auto-translator of your choice:

Awaryjne l (http://www.tvn24.pl/12690,1705269,0,1,awaryjne-ladowanie-w-lodzi,wiadomosc.html)

Seems rather serious, vibrations from engine at take-off, smoke in cabin, immediate emergency landing. Glad I wasn't on this flight.

jdcg
2nd Jun 2011, 11:11
Haven't they just had an incident on a LPL - DUB flight as well?

lfc84
2nd Jun 2011, 11:23
Yes, here is a report about Dublin / Liverpool

Passengers feared for their lives when Ryanair flight ‘plummeted 12,000ft’ · TheJournal (http://www.thejournal.ie/passengers-feared-for-their-lives-when-ryanair-flight-plunged-12000ft-146309-May2011/?utm_source=shortlink)

eu01
2nd Jun 2011, 12:09
While the bird strike (as in Lodz, read an English-language report (http://avherald.com/h?article=43d84bcf&opt=0) rather) could be very dangerous, there's not much you can do to avoid it, obviously. This unexpected decompression (causing the second incident) is in some way more frightening to me.

JSCL
2nd Jun 2011, 12:12
Corners have to be cut somewhere.

sanjaime
2nd Jun 2011, 12:42
Ryanair is set to allow customers on all its flights to reserve seats, the no-frills carrier has told The Independent. In a radical departure from usual practice, the airline said trials of a €10 "book-a-seat" service between Dublin and Gatwick and Dublin and Malaga launched last month had proved to be far more successful than expected, the paper says.

EI-BUD
2nd Jun 2011, 12:50
Does this mean that everybody will get a pre assigned seat i.e. if you dont choose and pay for it you will then be allocated a seat at Ryanairs discretion? Or is it Pre assigned seats and then everybody else?

EI-BUD

lfc84
2nd Jun 2011, 13:26
Ryanair may charge €10 for reserved seats - News & Advice, Travel - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-may-charge-euro10-for-reserved-seats-2291990.html)

Ryanair is set to allow customers on all its flights to reserve seats, the no-frills carrier has told The Independent.

In a radical departure from usual practice, the airline said trials of a €10 "book-a-seat" service between Dublin and Gatwick and Dublin and Malaga launched last month had proved to be far more successful than expected. The move, believed to be the first by a budget air travel carrier, comes as airlines are closely scrutinised. Hidden extras charged by low-cost airlines are being probed by the Office of Fair Trading, which is due to report its findings in the next few weeks.

Caroline Green, Ryanair's director of customer service, said an extension of the scheme would take place on another route this summer and a decision on whether to extend the service to all 165 destinations the company flies to was likely to be taken in September.

In the past Ryanair has not been afraid to try new charging models. In 2009 its chief executive Michael O'Leary said the company was considering charging £1 to use the toilet.

eu01
2nd Jun 2011, 13:49
"book-a-seat" service between Dublin and Gatwick and Dublin and Malaga launched last month had proved to be far more successful than expected
There are so many elements in legacy carriers' "old-fashioned" practices that after some cost-effectiveness scrutiny could be applied in some variations to lccs modus operandi. Like these selected connecting flights at centrally located airports I once envisaged, just as an example. How many more idle planes are needed to finally give them a try?

blueplatinum
2nd Jun 2011, 18:17
To meet their 1 June deadline for showing the full price including all non-optional charges FR seem to have done a bit of "over simplification". It is no longer possible to see at a glance which days a route operates and has available seats. All days just say "low fares available" even if the route doesn't fly on that day.

eu01
2nd Jun 2011, 18:33
showing the full price "over simplification"
Just change the country to, say, Croatia(English), Czechia(English) or Finland(English), you've got the old system running (and days showing). Thus, it's a very primitive interface overlay, nothing else.

peba
2nd Jun 2011, 22:25
how do ye guys figure these things out so quick!!!
fair play!!

Jamie2k9
3rd Jun 2011, 01:05
Ryanair to axe 25% of routes from capital - Scotsman.com News (http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Ryanair-to-axe-2537-of.6778750.jp)

Prestwick next followed by more UK bases.

On the subject about problems on Ryanair flights today ACE - LTN flight diverted to Porto due to an engine problem.

Incident: Ryanair B738 near Porto on Jun 2nd 2011, engine problem (http://www.avherald.com/h?article=43d87b13&opt=0)

JSCL
3rd Jun 2011, 02:08
That's what, 4 recent ryanair problems? Maybe if he didn't fart around in ash clouds, MOL wouldn't be having this karma payback. But that's too many recent incidents close together IMO.

FR-
3rd Jun 2011, 13:55
stop talking out your ar$e

fr-

daz211
3rd Jun 2011, 14:20
Dont get involved, They will soon get tierd, children normal do :rolleyes:.

jpthomas72
3rd Jun 2011, 15:00
EDI cuts are interesting, I think these are unsuccessful routes, which would anyway be cut. All TLL routes fall under this criterium, not just EDI-TLL but also EMA-TLL which I find very hard to believe is making money, to start with EE is a very small country. SXF-EDI market is limited as EZY go SXF-GLA. Weak GBP not helping when you have EUR based operations (also means stag nights in the Baltics are now expensive). FR has issues with SXF currently, notably it being transformed into a palace of an airport with LH,BA etc becoming their neighbours, higher fees, etc. So not EDI to blame for everything. We know those games at BHX. Morocco of course has its own worries.

Facelookbovvered
3rd Jun 2011, 15:35
FR don't raise to the bait with JSCL the benefit of doing what we do for a living means we know crap when see it, FR are a very safe operator.

As to binning routes, we should remember that FR fly to and from more places in Europe and not all will work. APD the hassle of flying, some of it self imposed in FR case exchange rates and inflation with frozen wages for many all are making many routes marginal

Interesting move by Monarch to bin credit card charges, but with only a small number of flights it's not going to be a Market driver

frfly
3rd Jun 2011, 17:48
Shocked about EDI reductions, its perceived as one of FRs strongest UK bases. However it is expensive to operate from. Flights always keep a good load factor and fares are not amoungst the cheapest in the network. It will be interesting to see the final schedule.

Jamie2k9
3rd Jun 2011, 20:01
EMA-TLL which I find very hard to believe is making money,

The route is being dropped in October.

Ryanair's May Traffic Grows 11% (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-s-may-traffic-grows-11-percent)

Traffic up 11%
Load Factor up 1%

FR-
3rd Jun 2011, 21:30
Why are TLL routes being dropped? The loads are good, fares are good, and the sales are good. . . . I noticed EMA has an extra RIX.

fr-

AP1995
3rd Jun 2011, 22:00
MAN-ALC flight i was on, very disspointing! ryanair is terrible with costomer services and are rude! never flying again!

daz211
4th Jun 2011, 08:16
MAN-ALC flight i was on, very disspointing! ryanair is terrible with costomer services and are rude! never flying again!

Well I am very sorry that your flight with FR has stopped you flying ever again, I hear that you can get a coach from Leeds to ALC It might take you 2 days and cost twice as much but maybe you wont mind.

Is there any point in posting such a short non discript post maybe it would be better if you could give us all abit more info ?

eu01
4th Jun 2011, 12:24
Why are TLL routes being dropped? The loads are good, fares are good, and the sales are good. . . .It could mean just a row about fees, but I guess also a second (North-) East European base could be considered. Estonia is a small sparsely populated country, but St. Petersburg "just" ;) 363km away. To my knowledge more and more Russian pax come to fly not only from Lappeenranta, but from TLL as well.

To be clear, I have no knowledge about an upcoming FR base in Tallinn, it is my pure speculation so far. Speaking of Central-Eastern Europe I also wonder why FR still didn't create a single base anywhere in Poland or e.g. in Slovak Bratislava, so dependant on them... amazing!

Jamie2k9
4th Jun 2011, 12:37
From what I have herd the next FR bases will in Central Europe and possibly Morocco.

BigFrank
4th Jun 2011, 13:43
Andorra la Vella ?

Makes sense.

No taxes there. No pesky labour laws either.

Handy for punters from Barcelona and Toulouse; Madrid and Lyons at a pinch.

Why stop there? "Get this boys: Andorra la Vella will be marketed as Paris South West."

Mountains ? I see no mountains.

boyzinblue
6th Jun 2011, 08:16
In the booking overview it now shows "low fares available" where previously you could see the prices on alternative days. In now means you have to click on every day to see the fare. Not very customer friendly?

ericlday
6th Jun 2011, 09:10
With you on that one, its a real pain.

Nakata77
6th Jun 2011, 09:40
Can someone from ryanair allude to whether boh is now a permanent 9 month seasonal base? No winter flights loaded.

daz211
7th Jun 2011, 15:32
Well this is a first for me so you all better sit down !

I HATE the website and the way you cant see the cost of flights for the full week, like many other passengers I like to look what dates offer the best price but now all I can see is LOW FARES AVAILABLE, well im sorry if it is putting me off looking for cheap flights It must be putting 100's of others off . PLEASE tell me it is only a short term thing and that the prices are going to be shown again soon :ugh:.

jpthomas72
7th Jun 2011, 15:47
First, you have to relax a bit.
Secondly, this is surely just a a glitch, as all is as usual when you switch language to German (Deutschland). Or if you know French, select Belgie (Francais). Oh, or even Croatia (English) or any other country apart from UK. Odd error, but then their IT department must be all on minimum wage.

daz211
7th Jun 2011, 16:07
I can live with a glitch :\.

eu01
7th Jun 2011, 17:38
it must be pointed out that at no time do Ryanair or indeed MOL ever attempt to convey the impression that they are in any way "customer friendly"Err... in a way, you are right, actually. In fact, I believe some face-lifting effort would make miracles happen bringing FR more customers! A very basic investment in their website could do the same. Likewise, it would probably be profitable to translate the Czech (Croatian, Finnish etc.) sites to the appropriate countries' languages. If you think everybody is fluent in English in these countries, you are badly wrong. How many of you English native speakers would like to make your bookings in French or German even having learned the basics of the language at school? You would probably feel discouraged, like them (Czechs and so on).

Or even better. Try Finnish / Hungarian :}.

mickyman
7th Jun 2011, 17:53
......still 77+ million people a year across Europe do not seem to have
many problems using this airline........or its website.

eu01
7th Jun 2011, 18:10
still 77+ million people a year across Europe do not seem to have
many problems using this airline........or its website
Well, would 10 million pax more make a difference? Speaking of euros and pounds, probably yes. Every penny counts, they say.

No problems with the website? I wonder how many customers are being discouraged every year by repeatedly emerging "your session has been locked". Thousands? Millions? In terms of money, what sum is being lost ("never again" etc.)?

mickyman
7th Jun 2011, 18:29
Im just as sure that fewer people than you think have such problems.....If
the airline was as worried about it as you seem to be - then Im sure they would do something......

compton3bravo
7th Jun 2011, 20:01
If I am not mistaken Ryanair do not fly to Belfast any more maybe she was going to Derry? Sorry love wrong destination and 40 quid. Ooops

mickyman
7th Jun 2011, 20:59
ASFKAP

'never used a single one of them.....'

I didnt make you look like an idiot did I !

'Err.....that's actually 77+ Million 'seats sold' not 77+ million people'

Again I never made you out to be an idiot !

'The actual number of individuals that use Ryanair is a figure that they studiously avoid publishing.'

Oh dear me .............

ayroplain
7th Jun 2011, 21:42
Up to a couple of years ago I probably bought ten or twenty tickets a year with them but (thankfully) never used a single one of them
I was struggling to understand why anyone would buy up to twenty Ryanair tickets a year and not use them. Then my son suggested that he probably bought them as cheap insurance to use in case his Aer Lingus flights are cancelled due to industrial action.

On the "your session has been locked" subject I entirely agree that this happens far too often but, to be fair, I have always received a flight confirmation email within a minute in such cases.

Ernest Lanc's
7th Jun 2011, 22:38
ASFKAP

This surely is a bizarre but interesting post...It also may explain why FR could not afford to keep it's routes at BLK and why BB could not afford to keep FR at BLK..It was unsustainable cheap fares and not the ADF it would seem was the reason FR left BLK.

On the Yahoo Travel Rant - Jet2 are the same..They clearly state on their website that anyone not turning up with their online boarding pass will be charged i think £30+. Fair charge are not, people are warned what will happen if they do not turn up with their boarding pass - I expect FR are the same and have made it clear when bookings are made.

blueplatinum
7th Jun 2011, 23:56
MAN-ALC flight i was on, very disspointing! ryanair is terrible with costomer services and are rude! never flying again!Well I travel LPA-LPL-LPA regularly and find all the staff, both in the air and on the ground, to be fantastic and eager to please. The staff in LPA (and obviously in the air) are FR's own and do a brilliant job. In LPL they are ServiceAir - here it is all treated as a bit more "routine", but still very courteous and efficient.

Most people I know in Gran Canaria now use FR as an "of course" and you will be very hard pressed to find any "Ryanair bashers" here.

sash5000
8th Jun 2011, 05:00
Am I the only one who finds this thread infuriating. Ryanair are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them.

//Rant On//

Personally, I have flown Ryanair 3 times over the years and can't complain about the service received on any occasion although the on-time jingle is annoying, especially when the plane is late. I can't complain about the crews either as they have been good, and at the end of the day we should all now be used to having a mixture of nationalities in the workplace.

Since I usually book holidays several months in advance, I usually fly EasyJet because their fares are lower when purchased in advance. I do believe that Ryanair need to be more upfront with their advertising, as the prices advertised do not correspond to the prices paid. I can only fine the £8 deal flying to somewhere I don't want to go, when I don't want to go. Flying to somewhere I do want to go, when I want to go tends to cost £80 each way. At that price and allowing for luggage, food etc it is often cheaper flying on other airlines.

I really do not have any sympathy for people who do not read the Ryanair T&Cs and turn up at the airport without their boarding passes and especially oversize hand luggage. I purchased a suitcase for my wife and myself that I made sure met the hand luggage rules. As someone who made sure they follow the rules, I would rather Ryanair checked every case going as hand luggage, as most of what gets carried on is too large. It p$$&& me off that they let them on and don't charge.

//Rant Off//

Bengt
8th Jun 2011, 10:03
I am looking for flights between Catalonia and Sweden for the winter season and there seems to be no flights loaded at all from Girona? There are flights from Beauvais to Barcelona El Prat but not to Girona (and not to Reus either). Anyone here who knows when the winter schedule might be fully loaded?

Jamie2k9
8th Jun 2011, 10:17
Talks on going with FR and Girona. An out come expected by 30 June. Reus is due to close for the winter months.

Bengt
8th Jun 2011, 13:39
Thank's Jamie2k9!

mickyman
8th Jun 2011, 14:17
ASFKAP

'By sheer coincidence, I don't like Marmite either.....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif
But not because of the shabby way the company treats its staff and customers, or the bizarre attention seeking antics of its CEO or indeed the shameful policies that pass for terms and conditions. I dislike it simply because it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.....bit like Ryanair really......http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif'

or is it because you were sacked by them ?

ayroplain
8th Jun 2011, 17:06
By sheer coincidence, I don't like Marmite either

Neither do I but I had to taste it a few times first before coming to that conclusion :). Likewise, if you've never flown Ryanair you actually don't know what it's like (regardless of whatever grudge you might have against them or whatever you may have garnered from hearsay). In my case I gave, for example, EI many chances to convince me they were worth it but my actual experience has always been awful and so I hardly ever fly with them for that reason and also because of the worry and stress of inevitable threatened industrial action near flight time. I need a reasonable fare, a certainty that a flight will take off barring something unavoidable like weather (or now ash), some degree of punctuality and be treated like a customer when things go wrong. I haven't got that with EI whereas FR have always turned up trumps. The whole BMI experience has also gone downhill except for their magnificent cabin crew and I don't use them much either nowadays.
By your tone I doubt you will ever fly Ryanair but, like the Marmite, you are not really qualified to comment on the product until you have actually sampled it a few times.

BigFrank
8th Jun 2011, 18:41
Some people say that until you have had it in your mouth, you cannot reach any rational conclusion.

Others say that, in 2 cases at least, the above advice is only for masochists.

Rich00cap
9th Jun 2011, 06:54
"This was during the period when RYR used to sell flights for a few cents, I was travelling back and forth to MAN for a while using Aer Lingus and would buy backup tickets from MAN and LPL on later flights in case I got delayed at a meeting or missed my flight etc. At a price of one cent it was far cheaper than travel insurance, I only bought the tickets when they were practically free and included the taxes and charges and thankfully I never had to use one. Every time Ryanair had one of their 'one cent seat sales' I would also buy up a few random tickets on flights I had no intention of using. By doing this I would have contributed approximately twenty cents to their profits that year but I like to think that this profit would have been more than offset by the potential loss of ancillary revenue they would have suffered by me blocking off a seat that might otherwise have been sold to another passenger who might have actually used the service and subsidised the fare by buying a sandwich, scratch card or even a couple of 'Bullseye Baggys'......"

And thereby denying 20 genuine passengers the chance to buy a bargain and actually travel as intended. You really are a selfish and pathetic individual. Well done, I really hope it was worth it to cause so much inconvenience to others. You obviously hate ryanair, that's your opinion, however misguided but why take it out on ordinary travellers, those who actually appreciate what Ryanair actually do.

pee
9th Jun 2011, 09:47
From FR website:Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline, today (8th June), urged passengers to book flights directly with Ryanair and not through financially unstable travel agents or travel websites
From FR-related news:Fraudulent activity by web users in two countries in Europe has led Ryanair to restrict passengers in both markets, so they can only book up to seven days before a flight.

The low cost carrier says the restriction will affect passengers booking from the eastern European countries of Latvia and Lithuania after monitoring higher fraudulent activity than elsewhere on the network.
So, Latvians and Lithuanians book through travel agents, in spite of the fact some of these sellers could be fraudulent. Why?

I agree with one of the earlier opinions. Lithuanians and Latvians want to fly with Ryanair, but are being offered just English-language booking system in their countries. It's not enough.

Also e.g. the Russian people flying from Finland use travel agencies. The threshold too high?

munrobagger
9th Jun 2011, 15:36
I must admit I disliked the thought of flying FR because of their image and adverse press . Due to lack of a competitor , I flew with them EDI/AGP last October and to be honest the flight and timekeeping were fine . Yes I hated the hard seats after 2 hours and constant sales pitch .
This year we have a competitor but hve chosen FR again because of punctualIty which seems be almost 100% at Edinburgh unlike the shambolic record of LS whose Saturday flight has not once even been within 30 mins of arrival back in the UK . :uhoh::ugh:

DomyDom
11th Jun 2011, 10:25
Does anybody (Jamie2K9?) have any news on possible further new route developments from MAN? I think at one time there were rumours of an announcement around June/July time.

Thanks,

DomDom

Skipness One Echo
11th Jun 2011, 19:45
Taxes / Fees: 0.00 GBP

That's i n t e r e s t i n g !

blueplatinum
11th Jun 2011, 19:56
^^
It is not unusual for FR flights to have Taxes / Fees of €0,00 . The annoying thing is that the headline price shown doesn't include them when they are not zero so it makes it hard to work out what day has the best value flights on the web site.

Skipness One Echo
11th Jun 2011, 20:25
Out of the UK? I thought we had APD at least?

Jamie2k9
11th Jun 2011, 20:39
Many flights from the UK have No Taxes charged which is why FR have a big problem with APO as they don't charge all passengers for it.

In regard to MAN, they are few announcements due but don't have much detail yet. If the current FR UK airport trend continues ie, BRS, LBA, EDI, PIK all cut this winter, who knows

mickyman
11th Jun 2011, 21:51
blueplatinum

Have you tried the AerLingus web-site recently - give that one a go......

MM

DomyDom
12th Jun 2011, 00:45
Jamie2K9,
Thanks,
DomyDom

Jippie
12th Jun 2011, 01:14
@blueplatinum (http://www.pprune.org/members/283614-blueplatinum): Usually when the "total price" ends with .00EUR/GBP it's with taxes. When the "total price" ends with .99EUR/GBP it's without...
Once you now the Ryanair tricks it's a great bunch!

dohouch
12th Jun 2011, 08:31
@Jippie:Usually when the "total price" ends with .00EUR/GBP it's with taxes.

Just checked your theory. I'm in IRL. Checked DUB>MAD return, and DUB>Malaga return dates 20 to 29th Sep 2011. In both cases all prices listed in the 7 boxes under "previous week" and "next week" end in .99 EUR. However all the flight to Malaga have Taxes and all the flights to Madrid don't.

Did I understand you correctly?

blueplatinum
12th Jun 2011, 08:39
Have you tried the AerLingus web-site recentlyWe use IE for LPA-BFS and FR for LPA-LPL. The routes don't duplicate.

Usually when the "total price" ends with .00EUR/GBP it's with taxes. When the "total price" ends with .99EUR/GBP it's without...
Once you now the Ryanair tricks it's a great bunch!Interesting. I'll keep an eye open for that ;)

iwak
12th Jun 2011, 16:45
Anybody any idea as to why there is no uk services to knock bookable for the winter as they were bookable last weekend with the exception of brs and lba.

kestrel757
13th Jun 2011, 01:48
FR from MAN

Does anybody (Jamie2K9?) have any news on possible further new route developments from MAN? I think at one time there were rumours of an announcement around June/July time.

Thanks,

DomDom

For what it's worth, the June edition of the respected Manchester based publication North West Business Insider News includes the following quote given to them by MO'L just 4 weeks ago:

"Like that red football team in the city, Manchester Airport thinks it's god's gift to airports but I'm not honoured to be flying with them."
MICHAEL O'LEARY, RYANAIR
(INSIDER NEWS, 11 May 2011)

Interesting. Make what you will of that!

pwalhx
13th Jun 2011, 07:16
"Like that red football team in the city, Manchester Airport thinks it's god's gift to airports but I'm not honoured to be flying with them."
MICHAEL O'LEARY, RYANAIR
(INSIDER NEWS, 11 May 2011)

Interesting. Make what you will of that!

These comments were made in Yorkshire and aimed at a Yorkshire audience, MOL is well known for tailoring his comments to endear himself to the locals. It is highly possible he could make totally contradictory statements at a similar function in Greater Manchester.

Jamie2k9
14th Jun 2011, 11:55
Kerry Airport are in talks with a number of carriers to take over the KIR - DUB PSO route. The Gov will cover 2 daily return flights. Aer Arann and Flybe are two of the airlines. It will be interesting to so what FR will do if one of them takes on the route.

davidjohnson6
14th Jun 2011, 12:17
ASFKAP - I would very much doubt you'll be seeing sales for 1 cent / 1 penny, except on the most abysmally performing routes in the lowest of seasons.

There's too many people out there with a prepaid Mastercard who when they see a 1 cent sale, will just buy up seats on lots of dates, on the expectation that they will fly very few of them indeed. If you buy up a seat on 1,000 different flights, the total price is 10 euros - the only real cost is the time reentering your details on the website. If you don't expect to use a flight,you are most unlikelyto book a hotel or bus transfer through FR's website.
If you don't take the flight, FR thus end up with zero ancillary revenue. If you do show up, FR still have to pay airport fees and any kind of Govt tax - unlikely to be covered by the profits on selling a sandwich + coffee on the flight.

IMHO, the only benefit to Ryanair of a 1 cent sale would be as a marketing tool (bait and switch) to drum up demand at the very lowest of seasons, e.g. mid November

Selling seats for at least 5 euros means that even with a prepaid Mastercard, it becomes much less likely that a single person will buy up dozens of tickets without expecting to use them. I suspect also that if someone genuinely wants a ticket for a flight, 5 euros will be low enough to grab their interest

ara01jbb
14th Jun 2011, 12:34
^^^ what davidjohnson6 said.

Until last year I used FR regularly on a relatively thin domestic route; i.e. one that was always included in the promotion on FR's homepage. While it lasted, I hoovered up as many £0.01 and £1 fares as I thought I might night and used maybe 10 - 15% of them. However from 2009/10 onwards, then £0.01, £1, £3 etc sales started to dry up. While there are still some single digit sales from time to time, it seems revenue management are pushing even the cheapest promotional fares up.

blueplatinum
14th Jun 2011, 12:41
Until last year I used FR regularly on a relatively thin domestic route; i.e. one that was always included in the promotion on FR's homepage. While it lasted, I hoovered up as many £0.01 and £1 fares as I thought I might night and used maybe 10 - 15% of them. However from 2009/10 onwards, then £0.01, £1, £3 etc sales started to dry up. While there are still some single digit sales from time to time, it seems revenue management are pushing even the cheapest promotional fares up.Not surprising really with people like you spoiling it for people who actually intended to travel. I hope you feel proud.

daz211
14th Jun 2011, 12:46
I loved the days of the £0.01 flights but dont think they will be back ever, But who cares I still get Stansted-Lanzarote rtn all in for £35 rtn No other Airline can or would sell seats at this price.

eastern wiseguy
14th Jun 2011, 15:22
Blue Platinum

Not surprising really with people like you spoiling it for people who actually intended to travel. I hope you feel proud.

What nonsense. Nothing to stop you doing the same. Seems perfectly sensible to me. It does call in to question the actual numbers of seats sold versus seats used .....and as for yield:confused:

davidjohnson6
14th Jun 2011, 16:10
ASFKAP - while in theory it would be beneficial to Aer Lingus to take such an action, if an Aer Lingus employee ever admitted to doing this or FR were able to show that Aer Lingus were taking such an action (e.g. via tracing the IP address of the purchaser), it is likely that the ensuing press storm, along with all the noise and bluster coming from MOL would do a lot of damage to EI. Does Irish or EU law perhaps have a concept of unfair competition, and would such a practice count as unfair ?

If a private individual were to buy up seats for 1 cent, 2 questions might arise:
1) - Can I possibly see myself wanting to spend money on getting to the airport and take this flight even if the flight is free ? If not, why am I wasting my time entering my address and credit card details on this website ? It takes a minimum of a minute to go through the booking process - 100 bookings means over 90 mins of your time possibly wasted.
As an analogy, many farmers with livestock have plenty of free "organic fertiliser" available on a farm - doesn't mean anyone wants to take it home with them ! :)
2) - If I buy up over a thousand flights, do I trust FR enough not to try to take revenge in some way (e.g. being banned from FR flights for some trumped up reason) ?

MidlandDeltic
14th Jun 2011, 16:21
Kerry Airport are in talks with a number of carriers to take over the KIR - DUB PSO route. The Gov will cover 2 daily return flights. Aer Arann and Flybe are two of the airlines. It will be interesting to so what FR will do if one of them takes on the route.

If it is remaining a PSO route (ie government supported), it is none of the airports business. The government will put it out to tender, after confirming with Kerry (and Dublin!) that slots are available.

What Kerry MIGHT be doing is encouraging airlines to apply for the tender.....

MD

racedo
14th Jun 2011, 16:42
Given CAA have upheld FR's complaint against Gatwick Airport I reckon FR will be seeking a return of fees charged dating back 5 years plus interest.

Could be a fairly big sum involved.

davidjohnson6
14th Jun 2011, 16:46
racedo - for those of us with less than perfect memories, would you care to give a brief summary of FR's complaint against Gatwick, and the CAA's rationale for accepting the complaint ? Does the claim fall against BAA, or the current operator ?

racedo
14th Jun 2011, 18:16
DJ

Based on the press release, which is all I have to go on;
Gatwick Airport were charging all passengers of FR (likely other airlines as well) for use of check in desks even when majority of passengers were printing boarding passes at home and not using check in desks.

As whole purpose for removal of check in desk was to reduce costs and fares, Gatwick were charging everybody and also benefitting by selling desk space FR would have used if old system was still in place.

In effect a no lose situation for them, irrespective of what Airlines do, they will charge you.

CAA correct I believe in its decision as like saying to company A you can hire 20 parking spaces for a year and a year later Company A says we will bus people in but use 1 space and gets charged for 20 parking spaces while Company B who owns the spaces then rents 19 out to Company C.

I reckon U2 and others (especially U2 given its size at LGW) will be raising a glass to FR this evening as Gatwick will likely be making refunds or coming to other arrangements.

I don't know when the complaint originated as that will be key.

If the date of original complaint occurred when Gatwick was part of BAA (whether Ferrovial or not) then likely that existing owners will be able to recover part of the costs from them, disputes will have been highlighted in takeover documents even though no idea of outcome, Focus DIY which collapsed last month was able to push back costs onto Halfords from an agreement made in 1988 on leases when they were part of same company.

If complaint only made when Gatwick had been bought by its new owners then
new owners responsible.

Best guess is that BAA were aware of it and it gets sorted out that way with a payment between BAA and New Owners if hasn't already been taken account of.

An example would be if when due diligence was taking place they figured that there was a 80% chance that FR would be succesful and it would cost £2 million then sale price might be reduced by £1.6 million or nothing at all with BAA agreeing to underwrite the risk or combinations of this.

All of the above is speculation as have no inside info.

davidjohnson6
14th Jun 2011, 18:38
racedo - many thanks

Presumably this now strongly encourages Easyjet, and maybe also Flybe, to start charging for airport check-in, and also pushes airports even more towards the replacement of desks with retail units in check-in halls

racedo
14th Jun 2011, 19:26
Presumably this now strongly encourages Easyjet, and maybe also Flybe, to start charging for airport check-in, and also pushes airports even more towards the replacement of desks with retail units in check-in halls

Possibly, its a revenue stream and has being a way to change behaviour very quickly which proves what Ryanair have said all along, charge and people will change behaviour be it inflight food, luggage, check in etc.

I think in less than 2 years there will be generic check in desks for airlines at airports anyway, maybe not LGW but a couple of desks taking care of wherever you are flying, airlines happy as reduces cost and airports happy as reduces space required for desks.

The concept of retail units pre airside has gone away as LGW have moved against it as was impacting on overall service for departing passengers with less security areas and people hogging car parks to shop. T5 did away with this completely aside from coffee shop, newsagent and little else.

I am not sure how far airports have gone in seeking other income areas now that less checkin area required, retail has been hammered so where now.

ayroplain
14th Jun 2011, 20:55
Presumably, if this practice has been going on at airports besides Gatwick then FR could clean up elsewhere. I wonder is there a similar situation at Dublin? Does FR have to pay the same fees for Pier D as EI/Delta/AA, etc, that use check-in desks and T2 with airbridges?

racedo
14th Jun 2011, 21:28
Ayro - think they already had that fight with DAA.

Jamie2k9
14th Jun 2011, 22:07
Pier B, C & E - Contact Stands
Pier A & D - Remote Stands

Airlines who use Pier A & D pay around half the amount that airlines who use Pier B, C & E before any air bridge charges are added to the carriers who use Per B, C & E.

(Pier C not in use at the monement)

DAA have a set charge per departing passenger depending on weather it is remote of contact stand. Ryanair would have no case.

ayroplain
14th Jun 2011, 23:08
Racedo - think they already had that fight with DAA
:D

That's very interesting jamie2k9. Thanks very much. An approx 50% difference in basic charges, :hmm:

Jamie2k9
14th Jun 2011, 23:28
That's very interesting jamie2k9. Thanks very much. An approx 50% difference in basic charges, http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

€11.50 per passenger for Contact Stand.
€6.30 per passenger for Remote Stand.

racedo
14th Jun 2011, 23:57
DAA have a set charge per departing passenger depending on weather it is remote of contact stand. Ryanair would have no case.

Wrong end of stick there Jamie

Ryanair had a dispute with DAA who wished to charge for desks and space around them and then when Ryanair had check in Kiosks a number of years ago also to charge for the kiosks even though the space was already paid for.

Mind you DAA not the brightest in the world given their development of checkin areas when airlines are going preprinted tickets.

Jamie2k9
15th Jun 2011, 00:02
With a different dispute between FR and DAA everyday of the week it's hard to keep track.

wowzz
15th Jun 2011, 21:22
I know that this is not a review site, but I did state recently that as some-one who was not a FR fan, but who was going to have to fly FR for personal reasons, I would give FR a fair 'crack of the whip'
Well, my STN-ALC sector was totally unremarkable. Flight left slightly late, arrived on time - fortunately the pa system was turned down so the 'fanfare' was hardly noticeable.
Crew were fine, aircraft looked a bit 'shabby' compared to EZY, but better than I have found on BA!
My only criticism, is that at the gate the cabin-luggage allowance was not more strictly enforced! After reading all the vitriol about FR's stringent luggage policy in the past, and making sure that my carry-on luggage weighed only 8kg and was smaller than the permitted maximum, I was amazed to see enormous bags being wheeled through, which required TWO cc to lift them into the lockers. In my view, a rule is a rule, and FR should ensure that any bag that does not comply with their T&C's should not be allowed through.
So, will I fly with FR again - Yes, as I have never had any issue with their safety record or their punctuality. But, I believe their baggage allowance [if compared to EZY and if enforced] is miserly, and if things go 'pear-shaped', given FR's and EZY's comparative track-records, I would rather be on EZY, given EZY's better customer relations. [I appreciate that this last opinion is purely subjective, and is based only on my own experiences, plus those of my friends/colleagues who regularly use both carriers]

TSR2
15th Jun 2011, 22:22
which required TWO cc to lift them into the lockers

I have never seen Cabin Crew lift any form of luggage into the lockers. Maybe FR Cabin Crew are the exception.

Jamie2k9
15th Jun 2011, 22:43
Ryanair cabin crew do the gate and boarding in some airports, it dosn't happon much now but it may still happon at a few airports.

jpthomas72
16th Jun 2011, 11:40
My only criticism, is that at the gate the cabin-luggage allowance was not more strictly enforced! This depends on the airport you go from. I can tell you that at HHN, each and every passenger (!) now has to put his/her bag into the frame and gets a blue 'approved' tag tug onto their bag afterwards. But this is likely HHN trying to make a bit more cash, as it's still losing millions of Euros every year. E.g. STN is much more relaxed, IIRC they just have one of the boarding personal checking the queue for people who really don't care and bring big bags.

Sunnyjohn
16th Jun 2011, 21:10
Ryanair cabin crew do the gate and boarding in some airports, it dosn't happon much now but it may still happon at a few airports.
They certainly do at Valencia - and very politely and efficiently, too.

FR-
17th Jun 2011, 16:56
The gate bags are checked, but to what degree really depends on the airport. The crew in EMA often go to the gate while on airport standby and push the gate staff to hurry up, and check bags.

fr-

Jamie2k9
18th Jun 2011, 00:40
Ryanair about to order the Comac Jet C919. Can carry up to 190 passengers. Will not enter passenger service until late 2016 subject to approval.

Ryanair set for China design deal - The Irish Times - Sat, Jun 18, 2011 (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0618/1224299153102.html)

Deails and Picture:
Comac C919 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comac_C919)

horatio_b
18th Jun 2011, 10:39
If you read the article carefully, they are not ordering the aircraft, they are involved in the design process - BA are similarly involved.

Capetonian
18th Jun 2011, 10:59
http://attendingtheworld.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/potkettle_small.jpg

June 13, 2011

Ryanair today warned job seekers about a ‘Ryanair jobs’ email scam which tries to dupe people into paying for visa applications in order to apply for a job with Ryanair. Ryanair will require up to 1,500 additional pilots and cabin crew this year, the majority of these jobs will be filled by those who train with one of Ryanair’s approved recruitment partners, which are listed on Careers in travel (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/careers/job). Ryanair advises anyone receiving an email from “[email protected]” not to reply. Ryanair has notified the authorities in the UK and Ireland of this recruitment scam. Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said: “Ryanair condemns these illegal recruitment scams which prey on eager job hunters who are keen to secure a well paid career in aviation. Ryanair has contacted the authorities in the UK and Ireland to ensure that people are not duped into paying money for non-existent visas to unscrupulous scam artists. Those interested in a career with Ryanair should ignore these email scams and only apply for vacancies listed on the Ryanair website, where they will also find information on our approved training partners.”

Source: Ryanair
Posted by: just4airlines.com at 0406h UTC Jun 14, 2011

daz211
22nd Jun 2011, 07:50
Ryanair and Comac (Commercial Aircraft Corp. of China) Sign C 919 MOU in Paris

Ryanair, Today (21st June) in Paris signed a Memorandum of Understanding with COMAC to participate in discussions on the development of the COMAC C919 aircraft for Ryanair, which would be designed to carry up to 200 passengers and should be available from 2018 onwards.

Ryanair, the world’s largest international scheduled airline, will share its experience and expertise to assist COMAC to develop the new C919 commercial aircraft, with up to 200 seats, which would enable Ryanair to lower costs and continue to lower fares for its passengers across Europe.

befree
22nd Jun 2011, 11:24
Boeing and airbus are not going to be helpful to ryanair over the next 7 years if ryanair is undermining their market. Going with china is a massive risk.

FR-
22nd Jun 2011, 14:00
You going to post the same for BA?

fr-

NorthernCounties
22nd Jun 2011, 14:09
Well said FR. I don't think going with Comac is a large risk, the likes of Ryanair supporting a smaller manufacturer will only help improve competition and thus the final products on offer. China manages to build everything under the sun to a good level of quality. Why can't they do the same with airliners!

Skipness One Echo
22nd Jun 2011, 14:38
More than likely they're trying to bounce Uncle Boeing or Auntie Airbus into giving away more free sweeties. Failing that they get cheap and cheerful Chineses Plan Bs.

Jack1985
22nd Jun 2011, 15:15
More than likely they're trying to bounce Uncle Boeing or Auntie Airbus into giving away more free sweeties. Failing that they get cheap and cheerful Chineses Plan Bs.

Thats exactly what i was thinking :ok: to me it also seems like another one of O'Leary's bully tactics to get Boeing/Airbus offering discounts he wants.

FR-
22nd Jun 2011, 15:23
To celebrate the relationship
between Ryanair
and Boeing and
the delivery of Ryanair’s
300th Boeing aircraft, ten
VERY lucky staff got a trip
of a lifetime to Seattle in
June. . . . .
They spent Friday getting
a VIP tour of the Boeing
plant where our 737’s are
manufactured.

fr-

rpmac
22nd Jun 2011, 15:29
I agree with NorthernCounties assesment that increased competition is good for Ryanair, BA and all the others and keeps Boeing and Airbus competitive too if they want the orders.

racedo
22nd Jun 2011, 15:31
Thats exactly what i was thinking http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif to me it also seems like another one of O'Leary's bully tactics to get Boeing/Airbus offering discounts he wants.

If you go to buy a house do you let the vendors know that there are other houses you are looking at or do you pay what they are asking ?

I though its good business to wish to pay to look to pay less so why are you claiming bully tactics ?

Funnily enough when orders from 2001 to now and future orders are collated for 737's I doubt the 1 1/2 plus years worth of production orders for Boeing 737's will be regarded as a bad deal by Boeing.

Cyrano
22nd Jun 2011, 17:10
Boeing and airbus are not going to be helpful to ryanair over the next 7 years if ryanair is undermining their market. Going with china is a massive risk.

All due respect, but that's nonsense. Airbus are not going to be helpful to RYR this time round anyway - John Leahy has already made that clear, based on the extent to which Ryanair burnt their Airbus bridges immediately prior to the big 737 order. I'm no great fan of Ryanair business practices, but on this occasion I'd do exactly as they're doing. Boeing is not going to offer keen pricing if they feel they're the only game in town, and (unlike Airbus) the Chinese really need a high-profile Western customer for the C919 and will likely be prepared to drop their prices pretty jaw-droppingly to win one.

It would be a risk to actually go with an unproven Chinese aircraft (which Ryanair is far from doing) and that's why any deal, if it actually happened (which is a year or two away at best) would be structured to take all the new-aircraft reliability risk away from Ryanair.

C.

NorthernCounties
22nd Jun 2011, 18:35
Chinese really need a high-profile Western customer for the C919 and will likely be prepared to drop their prices pretty jaw-droppingly to win one.

Your spot on!

apaul
22nd Jun 2011, 18:49
Do the Chinese really need a Western customer? Surely they could build up production based on growing demand from Chinese carriers. And if they wanted a western customer to establish their image as not being cheap and nasty would Ryanair be the right choice?

NorthernCounties
22nd Jun 2011, 19:03
Do you think the 737 series is cheap and nasty?

Facelookbovvered
22nd Jun 2011, 21:29
I doubt that punters will care who makes the aircraft as long as they don't drop out of the sky, I think for a major European airline such as FR to order Chinese aircraft will be so aircraft attractive that they (FR) would get them for under 50% of the cost of the 737

It simple really FR must have a lower cost base than any one else and airframes are a huge expense,Ryanair have no choice they must go Chinese they will never get the same deal again from boeing

mickyman
22nd Jun 2011, 22:11
At this rate the C919 may enter service before Boeings' 787 !!!

MM

racedo
22nd Jun 2011, 23:10
European Airline talks to manufacturer about introduction of new jet.............

Funny how
BA got away with talking to Boeing
Air France got away with talking to Airbus
etc etc

Its a non story as all that has committed to is that an Airline is providing input to a Manufacturer.

Cyrano
23rd Jun 2011, 08:07
Do the Chinese really need a Western customer? Surely they could build up production based on growing demand from Chinese carriers. And if they wanted a western customer to establish their image as not being cheap and nasty would Ryanair be the right choice?

For the C919, yes, they need a lot of Western customers. This aircraft is their big push into the world market - although the Chinese market is growing there's far more potential demand beyond the domestic market. I wouldn't say that they want a Western customer "to establish their image as not being cheap and nasty", rather that they want Western customers in order to prove that they have built an aircraft which is comparable (in terms of technology, reliability, performance, etc.) with Airbus/Boeing. Make no mistake, if Ryanair buys the aircraft (and as I said earlier, any such decision has to be at least a year or two away - this recent news announcement is "much ado about nothing" intended by Ryanair as much to put pressure on Boeing and their new-build 737-replacement as anything else), other Western carriers will follow.

jdcg
23rd Jun 2011, 16:49
I doubt you'd see such a large order by FR until it's been flying for a while. FR always reckons their brand could survive up to 2 hull losses but I would halve that if they had a huge fleet of C919s. If one of those goes down no European is going to want to go on another one in a hurry. If FR was stuck with a whole fleet of them they 'd be in a very vulnerable position.

TSR2
23rd Jun 2011, 20:20
One thing against Ryanair buying the C919 would be the lack of availability of experienced type-rated Captains. Introducing a new type for which there would be no pool of type-rated pilots could put the pilots in a very strong bargaining position, something that would not please Mr O'Leary.

Facelookbovvered
23rd Jun 2011, 21:53
Any new build 737 replacement will be in the same position, it will not have grandfather rights from the NG, it was touch and go with the NG from classic