View Full Version : Ryanair - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

FR-
15th Mar 2011, 12:26
Nottingham??? East Midlands 7/8, 7a/c in full use, and the 8th is for base trainning/spare, I also think rome has 8a/c

fr-

THICKO
15th Mar 2011, 12:30
Slightly off topic - Does anyone know whether FR base ALC is 5/4 or 5/3?
Thanks
(Pilot work pattern :) )

GnRdL
15th Mar 2011, 14:37
Slightly off topic - Does anyone know whether FR base ALC is 5/4 or 5/3?
Thanks
(Pilot work pattern http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif )
5/4 or 5/3? Can you clarify what you mean? Are the number of departures per aircraft?
ALC BASE:
- Winter 2010-11: 5 AC - 3 depart/aircraft
- Summer 2011: 10 AC with a reinforcement during July (+1 AC)

brian_dromey
15th Mar 2011, 14:51
The story goes that Boeing were unhappy on a few fronts.

1) They sold to FR when they needed to get cash in the door. This later cost them dear, when FR took all the aircraft (and options), effectively jumping the queue, taking aircraft other operators would have taken at much higher prices.
2) FR boasted about the deal in the typical, flamboyant way.
3) In an unusual move, FR continued to take factory-fresh new 738's but then sold the aircraft they were done with, instead of moving delivery slots, as might have been expected. The FR aircraft were much cheaper than Boeing would have sold those operators new aircraft, at a time when orders were drying up.

pwalhx
15th Mar 2011, 15:12
Boeing only have themselves to blame then for doing the deal, you can hardly blame FR in this instance in taking advantage of what was on offer.

They have learnt a valuable lesson here for the future you would hope.

THICKO
15th Mar 2011, 15:22
To clarify - Is Alicante 5 Days On/3 Off or 5 ON/4 Off? :)

GnRdL
15th Mar 2011, 15:32
To clarify - Is Alicante 5 Days On/3 Off or 5 ON/4 Off? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif
Ah! I will try to get info for you, as far as I can.
Greetings!

Jamie2k9
15th Mar 2011, 16:44
Dublin 15 ?

18 based but 1 or 2 more will be needed June - Sep). Will have the exact number soon.

Coquelet
15th Mar 2011, 18:24
Marseille : base closed last january.

Seljuk22
15th Mar 2011, 18:49
Right, but MRS comes back this summer

Ryanair...announced an extended summer season operation at Marseille which will see up to two aircraft temporarily overnight at the airport for just over a four month period (14th April until 4th Sept)

Ryanair Adds 11 New Marseille Summer Routes (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-adds-11-new-marseille-summer-routes)

In Germany you fly to Nottingham not to East Midlands. Sorry, if I annoyed someone.

GoEDI
15th Mar 2011, 20:08
Edinburgh 6 (up to 8 ?)

EDI will have 7 this summer.

Coquelet
16th Mar 2011, 12:33
... Marseille which will see up to two aircraft temporarily overnight at the airport for just over a four month period (14th April until 4th Sept) ...

Sorry, but aircraft overnighting at MRS don't make it a base.

Seljuk22
16th Mar 2011, 13:55
So there are no pilots/crews (just spend the night there?) based in MRS. Where do the a/c coming from? Is there any other similar FR 'base' like MRS?

FR-
16th Mar 2011, 13:56
As far as i know crew have been selected to operate all the MRS over nighting a/c. And the crew will not be stopping a night 4 star hotel, but will living within the MRS area.
fr-

ukswans
16th Mar 2011, 17:45
Rumour from Prestwick that the new PIK/Malta route may be scapped before it has even started due to low demand (perhaps related to the crisis in Libya)

Aftershock
17th Mar 2011, 09:36
Not sure that's the case as the flights are still bookable from PIK on website.

Code 100
17th Mar 2011, 09:50
Surely cannot be the Libya problem, as I have just struggled to find a one week holiday in Malta departing in the next few weeks. I was down to my last realistic option before finding availability on a KM late evening departure out of MAN. Even my preferred hotel room (SV) was not available!

widey158
17th Mar 2011, 10:00
Still no one mentioned, so I will.

More little expansion by Ryanair in Vilnius, Lithuania.

They opened a route from Bremen 4x weekly.

Starting with BGY, GRO, STN, DUB, CIA, it would seem that sales are doing good at VNO. Firstly, freq. was increased to GRO, now BRE is added.

It's uncertain times for Kaunas airport (100 km), which is a RYR base. BGY, GRO were moved to VNO, and BRE, which was cancelled along with other German routes, now comes back to life in VNO.

Wozik
18th Mar 2011, 10:13
Well, terminal capacity at Kaunas airport is close to the limits, so RYR are expanding in VNO, moreover Lithuanian Ministry of Transport did a good job attracting them to Vilnius.

And according to the russian press, SkyExpress are going to fly to KUN to bring russians to ryanair.

ukswans
19th Mar 2011, 23:27
The Libya problem is sure to hit Malta's tourism

eu01
20th Mar 2011, 17:06
Well, the "Libya problem" is having an immediate effect on Ryanair. They will learn very soon that their Trapani base will be closed as of tomorrow 21 March. Or, more precisely, the airport is already closed to all incoming commercial air traffic while departures will be possible until 8:30 AM tomorrow.
FR will have to operate from Palermo.

eu01
20th Mar 2011, 18:29
You can find these flights here (http://www.gesap.it/index.php?sezione=367&lang=en). Oddly enough, FR do not publish any information at ryanair.com (or I wasn't able to find a while ago). Maybe it's just because MOL turned fifty today? ;)

owenkirk2005
20th Mar 2011, 20:47
From Ryanair's Italian site

Translated from Italian

Closed the airport Trapani - March 21, 2011

Ryanair has been warned by Trapani airport from Monday 21 March for an indefinite period that the airport will be closed to civilian air traffic due to military action under way in Libya. Consequently all Ryanair flights due to depart from / to Trapani after 7:00 hours on March 21 will operate from the airport of Palermo, which is 35 miles from Trapani. Ryanair sincerely apologizes for this last minute change of airport that is outside our control.

Please consult the following list of flights on March 21, 2011

FR-
21st Mar 2011, 06:29
Does anyone know whats going on with the crews?

fr-

NorthernCounties
21st Mar 2011, 10:23
Trapani Airport Information
From Ryanair's Italian site

Translated from Italian

Closed the airport Trapani - March 21, 2011

Ryanair has been warned by Trapani airport from Monday 21 March for an indefinite period that the airport will be closed to civilian air traffic due to military action under way in Libya. Consequently all Ryanair flights due to depart from / to Trapani after 7:00 hours on March 21 will operate from the airport of Palermo, which is 35 miles from Trapani. Ryanair sincerely apologizes for this last minute change of airport that is outside our control.

Please consult the following list of flights on March 21, 2011

I believe this is because Gaddafi has threatened to attack any random civilian jet or ship in the med as it's a "ligitamate wastern target". To be honest though I wouldn't worry. His belief of what his military are capable are far in excess of what they actually are. :ok:

directmisbi
21st Mar 2011, 10:52
This has nothing to do with Gaddafi and his ramblings. International flights are still landing at Malta, and thats a lot closer to the war zone than Trapani which by the way is better known as Birgi airforce base and an active participant in "Odyssey Dawn"

MUFC_fan
21st Mar 2011, 11:07
I believe this is because Gaddafi has threatened to attack any random civilian jet or ship in the med as it's a "ligitamate wastern target". To be honest though I wouldn't worry. His belief of what his military are capable are far in excess of what they actually are.

I don't think even Gaddafi is prepared to attack a state outside of his own.

Attack Malta/Southern Italy etc. and he's got a hell of a big problem on his hands - what is currently going is nothing in comparison.

Is the FR move indefinite or is there a time scale on it?

Jippie
21st Mar 2011, 11:53
The reason is indeed that Trapani is now used by a lot of military traffic and they don't want civil aircraft 'messing' around there.
There's no time scale on the closure, I expect the airport to re-open to civil traffic when the military actions in Libya are completed, nobody knows how long that will take.

Facelookbovvered
21st Mar 2011, 12:34
I doubt that MOL will be to concerned, he will have some sympathy for Gaddafi, its a bit of a bugger when your staff/employee's/people start revolting, showing no gratitude for giving them a job or bread on their plate! sadly BALPA are not the UN so no chance of a no fly zone at Ryanair

pee
21st Mar 2011, 13:42
@ Facelookbovvered
I don't think it's a fair and proper comment of yours.

carlrsymington
21st Mar 2011, 16:05
I guess he ain't bovvered whether it is a fair or proper comment:}

enough of the jokes - back to the matter in hand.

ukswans
22nd Mar 2011, 22:32
The Maltese themselves are now concerned

DI-VE - News Details (http://www.di-ve.com/Default.aspx?ID=72&Action=1&NewsId=81961&newscategory=36&cache=false)

So yes Ryanair may cancel flights as inbound new bookings are non existent

wowzz
22nd Mar 2011, 22:54
Just met a friend of mine arriving from STN [to ALC] on Ryanair- her carry-on bag would not fit into the Ryanair frame [wheels slightly sticking out] although this had not been a problem when using the same case the last few times times she flew with Ryanair. She had to pay £35 to put it in the hold.
Fair enough - rules are rules - but the other ground crew at the boarding gate was letting pax on with 2 pieces of carry-on.
How is it possible that one bag, slightly too big, is not allowable, whereas two bags are OK?
This, surprisingly enough, is not an anti-Ryanair rant - it is just the lack of consistency that is the problem. If we are all treated the same - no probs. But in many cases [sic] it seems to be the luck of the draw as to whether you can get your case into the aircraft.
Just to add to the issue, the groundstaff member who was rejecting the over-size cases was well built [nicely put if I say so myself], whereas the other member of the ground-crew, who was letting everything thorough, was of the lesser build type.
It appeared, to my friend at least, that the 'well built' ground-crew had been told to meet an allocated target of rejected bags. The evidence is that the 'lesser built' ground crew member did not reject a single pax on the grounds of over-size baggage, whereas the other staff member was able to find 5 or 6 [OK this is not a scientific survey] over-size bags.
Anyway, at the end of the day, my friend is only £35 worse off, but has decided that in future she would prefer to fly with EZY. At 12 flights a year, this is not a big deal to MOL, but could so easily have been avoided, not be letting my friend off the because her case was over-size [although she would reject this idea], but rather by applying the same rules to everyone.
Anyone else had the same experience?

Jamie2k9
22nd Mar 2011, 23:00
It was just a case of bad look. Some ground staff are relaxed about hand baggage but ithers would be very particular.

lfc84
22nd Mar 2011, 23:03
I dont know the specifics or size of the 2 bags in question that people were taking onboard.

But FYI, at LPL World Duty Free tell pax that they can take one carrier bag onto FR flights in addition to their hand luggage.

Not sure how relevant that is, but it might be worth checking what "2 bags" actually means.

PS. Been rumoured the ground staff are on commission but some cant be bothered with the hassle for what its worth

Skipness One Echo
22nd Mar 2011, 23:06
Been rumoured the ground staff are on commission but some cant be bothered with the hassle for what its worth

Thought it was the cabin crew that did the boarding card check at the gate?

Jamie2k9
22nd Mar 2011, 23:22
Thought it was the cabin crew that did the boarding card check at the gate?

It varies from airport to airport. For non base airports it's mainly cabin crew who do the gate but at bases it can be different staff or the check in staff do it all.

looot
22nd Mar 2011, 23:59
Ryanair Pays $65,500 to Pilot It Sacked Over Union Leaflets - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-22/ryanair-pays-65-500-to-pilot-it-sacked-over-union-leaflets-1-.html)

frfly
23rd Mar 2011, 07:54
Cabin crew hardly ever board flights anymore. 99% of the time it's ground staff, due to fuelling and boarding regulations etc. Every now and again crew will go to the gate if the aircraft is not fuelling and there is less than 150 pax onboard, but generally they just marshall PAX to and from terminal now.

I agree with the lack of consistancy. You go to Italy for example and people are bringing everything but the kitchen sink onboard. You go to Germany or most UK base airports and bag checks are done very well. Unfortunately, I dislike the way I have heard a number of ground staff go about this. This is generally due to lack of training by the handling agent in question, and Ryanair doesn't usually find out until someone from the company happens to come across it or a passenger complains.

With regards to easyJet, I see they are also charging for bags and checking them now. Maybe not on the scale of Ryanair. But as they take more carry on baggage related delays maybe they will become as strict in the future. Best option - buy tripp handluggage from Debenhams. Fits perfectly in the sizer at the gate, is cheap (around £40) and fits enough clothes in for 10 days away!!

FR-
23rd Mar 2011, 08:34
Can anyone confirm it is only STN what checks the weight at the gate? I think its abit of a safety issue in airports where not checked in regards to a/c being over weight. After speaking to several ground crew who have helped pax, many must be well over 10kg.

fr-

ger1973
23rd Mar 2011, 09:05
SNN were also weighing bags while boarding a flight to Lanzarote

frfly
23rd Mar 2011, 09:22
I've only ever seen bags weighed at security or boarding pass checks prior to going airside. I had heard that having scales at boarding gates is tricky as they have to be externally checked to ensure they comply with regulations.

After flying out of STN in January my handluggage wasn't weighed anywhere, not even the bag drop desk.

Although some people are caught out (for not following very specific instructions outlined on the website, on the boarding pass and also emailed to you around 7 days before departure - an email sent just about hand luggage regulations outlining size, weight and that you will be charged if it doesn't comply) I have noticed a massive improvement with hand luggage. People are learning to comply, gate staff are getting better and delays due to oversized luggage have massively reduced.

Mr A Tis
23rd Mar 2011, 10:04
Barcelona (El Prat) are very strict. The groundstaff trawl the boarding queue with their gauge & test out as many bags as they can for maximum charges. Don't even think of trying to get through here !!

OliWW
23rd Mar 2011, 10:17
For pax dropping a bag off, they have to also get any hand luggage weighed

boyzinblue
23rd Mar 2011, 11:50
At Hahn they also carry out weight checks. First duty free has to be placed in your one carry on bag and then they weigh.

FR-
23rd Mar 2011, 12:46
Interesting posts. Does anyone know which airportS you can have your one bag of upto 10kg, plus an airport bag? I know ema & boh allows you to buy duty free aswell.
(could do with knowing about ACE)

fr-

jpthomas72
24th Mar 2011, 10:25
At Hahn they also carry out weight checks. Oh, you mean those people at the gate who remind you of a certain historic organisation based in Berlin-Magdalenenstrasse ? This has become one of the most annoying features of HHN recently. I wonder if this is really due to Ryanair, or due to the financial troubles of HHN and its desparation to make money. Another indicator: They've cut free parking at drop-off to 10min. Over-run that, and you pay 2.50 Euro.
Speaking of HHN: People outside of the area might not be aware that it produces serious losses, 2010 it lost 10.8 million Euros, much the same previously. Those losses are paid for by the local government of the state of Rheinland-Pfalz, who own the vast majority of the airport holding company (after Fraport abandonned HHN). And exactly that government is being re-elected this Sunday. With a strong possibility of the Green party entering this government, and they are much less enthusiastic to balance those millions. We'll see. HHN is above a critical mass to just cut it, but the situation isn't that much different from Altenburg-Nobitz. Losing SXF was a big blow for HHN, these were by far the most useful flights for the locals in the area (it's as far by air as London). The pro-HHN argument is normally the inbound tourism, but looking at the route-map: How many Italians and Spanish spend their holidays at the Mosel valley. While UK destinations were cut, and the Brits are still coming now by car and coach.
So, when I fly from HHN, my family will balance my cheap ticket with their taxes, meaning less money i.e. for school renovations and road repairs. This is not the case when I fly from FRA or DUS which are profitable.

blueplatinum
24th Mar 2011, 10:33
Does anyone know which airportS you can have your one bag of upto 10kg, plus an airport bag?There is a big poster in the duty free shop at BRS that says you can. It specifically mentions FR and U2 as allowing it.

Seljuk22
24th Mar 2011, 14:15
New airport in the network: Chania (Crete)
Ryanair Announces First Crete (Greece) Routes (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-announces-first-crete-greece-routes)

virginblue
24th Mar 2011, 15:26
Michael O'Leary at his best at the reception of Ryanair's newest destination, Magdeburg Cochstedt International:

Fotogalerie - mz-web.de (http://www.mz-web.de/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=ksta/XPage&atype=ksFotoLine&aid=1300860258020) (click on "Bild vor" to see all pictures)

The guy next to him on most of the pictures - who looks as if someone is pulling his teeth - is the prime minister elect of the federal state Sachsen-Anhalt.

Telstar
25th Mar 2011, 12:23
I read an article in a Spanish newspaper a week ago which, in my broken Spanish, I understood that Ryanair and the local government were locked in a stalemate and a web of blackmail (I know, totally out of character for FR) over all the usual FR demands but specifically the opening hours. The opening date of the base is just a few weeks away. Is it still going ahead?

Any new rumours of a base? Last I heard was PMI negotiations, I heard also that MXP officials were seen in Dublin but I can't confirm and my own wil speculation is for Vilnius so it can be used as a pawn to squeeze some more "marketing support" from Kaunas :ok:

Jamie2k9
25th Mar 2011, 22:05
Ryanair to close all routes from Lleida-Alguaire in Spain on 29 May. (BGY and HHN)

ACE base is opening last I herd but Ryanair have to operate between 07:00 - 00:00 but they had planned to operate between 06:00 - 02:00. So how long will they put up with those hours.

It's LPS which may be closed in the next few months if the computer system problems are not resolved.

FR-
25th Mar 2011, 22:34
and ace-tsf?

Jamie2k9
25th Mar 2011, 22:39
Will operate on Saturday insted of Tuesdays.

Depart ACE 07:30 Return ACE 16:50.

Telstar
25th Mar 2011, 23:14
Jamie, yes you're right, it was Gran Canaria the article referred to, not Lanzarote. It would be the shortest lived base yet.

As for lleida. Hardly a surprise. The loads were some of the lowest I've ever seen in FR. it wasn't uncommon in the winter to see a flight with the pax figures in single digits.

Jamie2k9
25th Mar 2011, 23:23
And Alicante's new Terminal could be very empty after October if the dispute over boarding bridges isn't resolved.

Granada routes closed tomorrow. All is not happy in Spain at the monement. Makes a change.

Government of Malta are to consider proposals from Ryanair to add 17 more routes over the next 2 years. It would involve them basing a second aircraft next summer.

ericlday
26th Mar 2011, 08:19
Jamie2K9 - It's LPS which may be closed in the next few months if the computer system problems are not resolved.
LPS - Lopez Island Airport ?

Did you mean LPA....Las Palmas

Jamie2k9
26th Mar 2011, 12:43
Ya I ment Las Palmas.

blueplatinum
29th Mar 2011, 16:02
What are the computer problems at LPA ?

wings folded
30th Mar 2011, 13:28
Ryanair sceptics should sit down and take deep breaths before reading what follows, since it recounts what in my view is good service.

We travelled to Stansted on the 21st, and stood at the baggage carousel until only one bag was going round and round.

It was the same make as ours, but bigger, heavier and scruffier than ours.

Things went ping in our minds: some gormless sod had retrieved our bag, not theirs.

We took the bag over to the Ryanair luggage desk in arrivals, and explained what we thought had happened.

Two really pleasant ladies told us that this happened frequently, not to worry, in most cases the swap of suitcase happened sooner or later.

They hauled up the reservation code and tried to phone the mobile number on the reservation, but no reply. They sent a text message as well as a vocal message, and even sent an email in case the pax had a fancy iPhone/blackberry.

They took our details, and issued a PIR, with a number to call for the follow up.

We phoned later in the day, but there was no news.

Next day, they phoned us to say that the gormless pax had gone off to South Africa, still with the wrong bag, but she had been in touch and would be back in STN on the 30th (today), she would arrange the swap, and they would send the bag on the next FR flight to our local airport.

We had a call this morning from FR baggage STN, saying that the suitcase was with them and they were putting it on the next flight to our local airport.

We have just had a call from our local airport saying that they await our pleasure to collect our well-travelled suitcase.

Every chain of the process carried out their tasks efficiently, courteously and reassuringly.

I had to post this rather dull story to put down a marker that sometimes FR do things well.

lfc84
30th Mar 2011, 14:17
your baggage issue was not dealt with by ryanair employees

it would be the handling agent :ok:

possibly servisair

London Stansted - Servisair (http://www.servisair.com/en-gb/uk-ireland/locations/united-kingdom/london-stansted)

tabu
30th Mar 2011, 14:29
The very same handling agents, in fact, who are often complained about on this very forum but still considered as Ryanair staff by the travelling public.

It's very kind of you, lfc, to make the distinction but interesting that it hasn't been made on all the threads complaining about gate staff (from those self same handling agents) being over zealous with cabin baggage size checks etc. On those many occasions people seem quite happy to brand the whole thing as 'Ryanair'.

Whilst it would be nice if people could direct their complaints or praise to the right department I would hardly expect members of the non aviation community to be remotely interested as long as they (and their baggage)get from A to B safely.

Fair play to the guys and girls (presumably from Swissport) at STN who sorted out this problem so professionally. I would imagine that for the people involved the restoration of their baggage was a great relief no matter who sorted it.

FR-
30th Mar 2011, 16:09
Thank you . . .be really nice if you wrote into MOL

lfc84, go do some research

wings folded
30th Mar 2011, 16:27
ifc84 and tabu,

you may well be right that we were not dealing with Ryanair employees per se, but outsourced people (I think Swissport, in fact) but that is not the point.

The superb ladies at the "Ryanair" luggage counter were sporting Ryanair uniforms, as do the harrigans at the gate who are looking for 100 grammes excess weight in your cabin baggage.

They may be Ryanair people or not, but when you have a baggage irregularity, your last concern is who pays the salary of those who sort out your problem.

The personnel at my local airport are absolutely not Ryanair employees; as for those at STN, they are probably Swissport, but I could not care less who employs whom, I wanted my bag back, and these people have been doing whatever was needed to get it back, even though the initial problem was a gormless bint who picked up a different bag from her own.

Not Ryanair's fault.

Noxegon
30th Mar 2011, 17:23
Can you say Fuel Surcharge anyone?

Ryanair to Introduce EU261 Compensation Levy of ?2 (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-to-introduce-eu261-compensation-levy-of-2-euro)

tabu
30th Mar 2011, 17:24
Wings Folded

My point exactly! I work for Ryanair and I get pretty fed up sometimes when we get blamed for things which ground staff have done badly but as you say, the traveller is only interested in getting things done - not who does them. Equally, in this case, despite their uniforms, the people who helped you out so well were definitely not Ryanair staff and it would be wholly unfair to take their deserved credit.

Most of the time (in my experience at least) ground staff are as helpful as they possibly can be and will go the extra mile (particularly if approached as human beings rather than scum - something which a lot of pax sadly seem unable to do...)

I am delighted that your experience ended well and I hope your next flight with us is uneventful and that you and your luggage are reunited more speedily!

wings folded
30th Mar 2011, 19:34
tabu,

I endorse entirely your attitude.

Air travel has become hard work, but every now and then one encounters people who, shall we say, have a pride in their work, and give a service which they feel they should give. Bravo to them, and from what you say, bravo to you too.

Ryanair does not promise what some other airlines do, but based upon my experience related above, I can find no fault in their treatment of our snag which was not even the airline's fault.

I know exactly what you mean about "treatment as scum" - I was pretty annoyed about some bint picking up the wrong bag at the carousel, but how could that possibly be blamed against the helpful ladies at the Ryanair baggage counter?

So I was courteous and they were excellent in their service.

Just one negative remark: the triumphant fanfare about the on time arrival grates a little bit when we hit the asphalt on RWY 22 before schedule, and then endured the taxying which that involves, to arrive at a gate which still had an aircraft parked there, guaranteeing quite a long wait, while fellow PAXs, thinking we are there, bash you on the head with their really quite heavy cabin luggage, in total defiance of the seatbelt sign and your quite slick and accurate announcements to the contrary.

I have done a few miles in aircraft, in fact 27 times the circumference of the globe in the aggregate, as a PAX, and I have a few hours logged as PIC or P2, so I know a little of what I speak.

Thanks for your service, and do not let FR bashers wear you down.

blueplatinum
30th Mar 2011, 20:05
We have just had a call from our local airport saying that they await our pleasure to collect our well-travelled suitcase.That sounds odd. Lost luggage is normally couriered to your address. You should not have to put yourself out to get it back.

tabu
30th Mar 2011, 20:13
Wings Level,

I have to agree with you about the fanfare - it grates more than a little. I can even hear it in the flight deck through noise cancelling headphones.

It is, as I am sure you know, more than a little frustrating to spend time en route negotiating with ATC and landing on time or early only to find the stand occupied. This has happened to me several times in the last week (a sure sign that summer timetable is upon us once again...) The ground controllers have tried calling up the occupying aircraft to see how long they might be only to find that they are not maintaining a listening watch. Very irritating for all concerned (with an added dollop of annoyance if one has taken the time to radio ahead the ETA) though there is little that can be done when it happens...

I also find it truly amazing that PAX stand up and start messing around with baggage etc when announcements from both cabin crew and flight deck emphasise what a quick look out the window must surely make clear - i.e. we are not there yet... Why on earth do they think that the cabin crew are still sitting down and the doors are still closed?! The mind boggles! I can only say that you are by no means alone in your annoyance. I suspect that this phenomenon of racing to retrieve cabin baggage almost as soon as the wheels hit the tarmac is common in virtually all airlines though. I can only imagine the fuss that would be made though if an aircraft moved suddenly and someone who was standing when they shouldn't fell and broke a leg...

Anyway - we'll soldier on!

Take care

tabu

wings folded
30th Mar 2011, 20:14
Mr Blue

I think you may not have grasped two phenomena:

1) Not the airlines fault that some gormless bint picked up the wrong bag.
2) Ryanair is not a carrier which charges thousands of Euros for a short hop

Facelookbovvered
31st Mar 2011, 09:13
ATW reports that Ryanair.com is to introduce a levy of 2 Euro's per sector to cover compensation that it legally bound to pay to passengers that it dumps whether it views that it is its own fault or that of some other body/volcano/snow/ATC/God

A nice little earner if you sell 70m seats a year to add to the wheel chair levy to cover its cost because you can't run to the aircraft.

Incoming from Racedo FR to follow

BTW did you see the Ryanair PR (PR**K) guy on the telly saying and i quote " we do not charge a CC/DC fee its an admin fee" which you can avoid by using a pre paid card, his body language said read my lips i'm lying to you.

I really feel that if they can't run their business without lying/cheating& acting like con men they should pack up, little wonder their growth is stalling

FR-
31st Mar 2011, 09:20
Bitter ex employee?

AvWRup
31st Mar 2011, 11:54
Ryanair appears to have become the new taxman (http://bit.ly/eHHrw6) :ugh:

Facelookbovvered
31st Mar 2011, 13:16
Nope, never worked for them or applied or ever likely to do. Flown with you once ( i wasn't paying so got no say) don't drive a VW made in Puebla, Mexico, either

Question for FR

Is there anything at which your blind admiration would say enough?

Not bitter, just a cancer on the industry that used to regard its self as professional.

Still what goes around tends to come around

INKJET
31st Mar 2011, 13:26
Bitter ex employee?

An oxymoron?

Now I could understand a Ryanair employee being bitter, but surely an ex Ryanair employee would be happy, most ex Ryanair pilots i have met are very happy! to be out of Ryanair.

To be fair i have met some happy Ryanair pilots as well, well at least they had big smiles after doing their circuits on bank of Dad's credit card lol

MUFC_fan
31st Mar 2011, 13:27
Is there anything at which your blind admiration would say enough?

Not bitter, just a cancer on the industry that used to regard its self as professional.

Still what goes around tends to come around

To be fair - the majority of their 'charges' are either optional or they are exempt on offers. With the likes of BA etc they're compulsory. It's all about what are charges and what aren't. They say their average fee is ~£30. That's probably right, without the likes of priority boarding, card fees, baggage etc. At the end of the day it's all about what the final price is.

I personally love flying FR because I don't often take large amounts of luggage with me and I'm guaranteed an extra legroom seat with 38+ inches.

Regarding them seeming to be an amateur show. They have the best on time record, newest aircraft, largest European network and carry more passengers internationally than any other airline on the planet.

I would agree though that they aren't the most tact (I'm assuming that's what you mean by 'professional' as opposed to how their operations work?). MOL has been the driving force behind this. A true marketing guru. His PR technique, however, is another story...

Businesses are there to make money for their shareholders in the free world - MOL and Ryanair know what they're doing.

tabu
31st Mar 2011, 14:03
Facelookbovvered

just a cancer on the industry that used to regard its self as professional

Could you tell us in what way you consider Ryanair flight crew (i.e. pilots) to be 'unprofessional'?

I happened to be chatting the other day with a very senior training captain in a major carrier with no association whatsoever with Ryanair - he described our training as 'impeccable'. Odd really that he should say that if we are a cancer on the industry and unprofessional. Equally strange that Ryanair pilots seem to be quite succesful at getting into more 'professional' airlines like BA and EK if we are as dreadful as you imply.

Can I just add that to be described as a 'cancer' is more than a little distasteful - I personally know four individuals who have died of that tragic condition in the last two weeks and I think that you could perhaps use a more appropriate term to vent your hatred of us.

Speaking personally I can only say that myself and my colleagues do our best day after day to get our passengers (whoever paid for their ticket) to their destination safely, punctually and with the minimum of fuss. Not unlike most other airlines really.

MUFC_fan
31st Mar 2011, 15:03
Ryanair pilots are some of the best trained and best paid on the European circuit.

Although they take on a number of pilots their selection process is quite demanding - an IAA license is compulsary. Conversions are obviously a possibility.

mickyman
31st Mar 2011, 15:22
Facelookb........

If you dont fly with them why are you SOOOO bothered !

'Is there anything at which your blind admiration would say enough?'

Yes and I have made it known on here

MM

PS:70+ million sado-masochists cannot ALL be wrong!

NorthernCounties
31st Mar 2011, 15:28
Well said MickeyMan.

I would also like to say that I've always felt the way flight crews have handled flights extremely professionally when I've flown Ryanair. Flying with them at least 10 times a year.

Skipness One Echo
31st Mar 2011, 15:46
PS:70+ million sado-masochists cannot ALL be wrong!

Wanna bet?

The issue with Ryanair is that about 50% of their pilots don't work for Ryanair but come in through Brookfield, a contract agency / specialist. The ones that I know don't feel that they are the best paid in Europe by any means. Having said that there is nothing intrinsically unsafe about Ryanair if you discount taxi-ing like a looney in case you're a bit late.

Conversions are obviously a possibility.
Just so long as the candidate forks out for it themselves, along with their uniform et al.

MUFC_fan
31st Mar 2011, 15:56
"70+ million sado-masochists cannot ALL be wrong!"

Wanna bet?

70m+ vs. a few people on a forum? Behave.

Skipness One Echo
31st Mar 2011, 15:58
70m+ vs. a few people on a forum? Behave.

70m might use cheap toilet paper but it doesn't mean they don't want to move to Andrex....

NorthernCounties
31st Mar 2011, 16:02
Andrex is awful but that's besides the point!

tabu
31st Mar 2011, 16:20
And here we go yet again...

Having said that there is nothing intrinsically unsafe about Ryanair if you discount taxi-ing like a looney in case you're a bit late.

Taxi-ing like a looney is a very bad idea - we have taxi limits like everyone else does and they're monitored- the OFDM doesn't turn a blind eye to such things and I personally would not like to have to explain why lunatic taxi-ing had been taking place. 'Being a bit late' doesn't really cut it as an excuse now does it.

Facelookbovvered
31st Mar 2011, 16:31
I was actually talking about the airline and its management, not repeat not its flight or cabin crew.

70 m pax, so what? ever heard the term running around like busy fools

Its a company that depends on hand outs, from airport companies, its staff, its business partners, to drive prices down and its convinced the green lobby that flying it should be taxed to death.

It is an airline that professional pilots aspire to leave, in any event fewer and fewer work for the airline, but as contractors, in order that Ryanair can reduce is social taxes, avoid unions and take it or lump it attitude

mickyman
31st Mar 2011, 19:33
ASFKAP

You appear to have argued yourself out of your OWN point......well done!

Another dissatisfied non-customer rant - are you STILL an ex-employee?

Facelookb......

Oh dear ...and YOU thought you were doing so WELL.Still - must of seemed an easy target for you ? Silly details called Facts keep getting in the way - but hey! you dont travel with them anyway.....oops I'm getting repetitive so .....

MM

Hogg
31st Mar 2011, 20:10
Ah come on fellahs......... Stop the digging at each other.

Hogg

wowzz
31st Mar 2011, 20:51
MUFC-fan - can I sit with you and get 38'' of leg-room please!

blueplatinum
31st Mar 2011, 23:09
I do not understand why airlines are expected to compensate passengers for delayed or cancelled flights when this has happened due to external forces over which the airline has no control. Ryanair had little choice but to take this step especially as the cost of compensation is usually massively disproportionate to the fare the passenger has paid in their case. I think other airlines are highly likely to do the same.

rareair
31st Mar 2011, 23:18
Child free flights from October 2011 (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/child-free-flights-from-october-2011)

They didn't hang around getting their seasonal press release out, posted a few minutes after midnight!

widey158
1st Apr 2011, 00:58
MUFC-fan - can I sit with you and get 38'' of leg-room please!

He probably refers to emergency exit seats. Interestingly, in many cases when I flew on Central European routes, people don't really rush to them, and I could get one even if being in middle of the queue.

Now regarding to the discussion before. I am probably a bit biased towards FR, since most of my flights (95+%) have been with them, just because they were really always the cheapest (and me being very price sensitive, I would definitely check all available options) and my overall experience has been positive.

I would tend to agree though that the charge is mainly due to rising fuel costs, because it's introduced not just after the volcano problems, but .. yep, during oil price spike.

I also think it's a little bit useless to moralize about the fact that it's hipocritical etc. Not many firms, especially successful ones are ethical at all these days. Take a look at all the banks in the recent crisis. If FR reached a point, where people got offended/upset by such behaviour they would stop flying with Ryanair. It didn't seem to be like that so far. And these 70m can be the biggest idiots in the planet, as a business FR couldn't care less. If there's any LCC that could do the same profits, just with positive image, they are welcome to do that.

Seljuk22
1st Apr 2011, 08:40
Malmö is back in the network. From 30th June ALC twice a week and from 3rd July AGP once a week.

MUFC_fan
1st Apr 2011, 09:55
He probably refers to emergency exit seats. Interestingly, in many cases when I flew on Central European routes, people don't really rush to them, and I could get one even if being in middle of the queue.

Very true. You can be at pretty much any point in the first 50% of a queue (even on a full flight) and you're very likely to get an emergency exit seat.

But I'm revealing my 'secrets of flying Ryanair.' You'll have to wait for my book folks!;)

barrymah
1st Apr 2011, 14:04
Just a precision, the electronic ccs approved by Ryanair work and you pay no fee. Fine, especially if the fare is very low...., doesn't matter much if your paying a lot for the basic fare, e.g weekend in August.... ; so whats new?

B

Jamie2k9
1st Apr 2011, 17:32
Ryanair to return to Basel. Flights will operate to Palermo.

CARNMANORLAD
2nd Apr 2011, 11:56
Does anyone know when RYR put their Winter Flights on-sale from the more regional airports like NOC & LDY etc?

Jamie2k9
2nd Apr 2011, 15:09
All winter flights start being loaded from the middle of June and into July. THe UK and Ireland are one of the first to be on sale.

Alsacienne
4th Apr 2011, 18:03
Ryanair to return to Basel. Flights will operate to Palermo.

Is this a fact or simply a rumour? BSL haven't announced this yet ... so when are the blue and yellow harps about to make music at BSL? Last time out the harmony became somewhat less than concordant.

Jamie2k9
4th Apr 2011, 20:11
It's true. It should be in booking system tomorrow or Wednesday.

Alsacienne
4th Apr 2011, 20:36
Thanks Jamie. I checked the booking system before posting and also BSL's website. Any other destinations from BSL besides Palermo?

Jamie2k9
4th Apr 2011, 21:50
Not as far as I know. It should be starting in June or July.

AMS flyer
5th Apr 2011, 08:25
Ryanair to slash Alicante base!!

Ryanair to Slash Alicante Base by 80% This Winter, as Airport? (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-to-slash-alicante-base-by-80-percent-this-winter-as-airport-imposes-airbridges-to-increase-fees-by-2m-euro-p-a)

Teevee
5th Apr 2011, 11:01
Fascinating ... considering (off the top of my head and at first glance!) that there are at least two routes on that Winter list of 'cancellations' that have never been 'winter routes' in the first place ....:rolleyes:

vic88
5th Apr 2011, 11:21
PMO is not a base, so they will have to fly a W Base/PMO/BSL/PMO/Base. Quite impressive to do that for an airport with a single route.
I am not sure of anything, but I really think that they will start other routes from BSL if they start PMO.
Concerning ALC, most of the traffic is in the summer, so they should compare the winter figures with last winter figures. It may change from 4/5 aircraft to just 2.

dwlpl
5th Apr 2011, 12:47
Concerning the FR program this coming winter, where can I find the schedules/frequency for ALC routes because I cant see them even though people are commenting on them as being fact?

Scottish Flyer
5th Apr 2011, 12:58
Link for these flights from Northern Ireland is dated 2007!

BFS101
5th Apr 2011, 13:00
According to this link (http://goo.gl/uA9Dv) FR are to have a presence in Northern Ireland again from October.
They currently serve Londonderry (City of Derry) in Northern Ireland.

Noxegon
5th Apr 2011, 13:26
Interesting. I wonder whether another airline will try to pick up some of those routes.

Jamie2k9
5th Apr 2011, 15:40
Ryanair should be comparing the reduction this winter to last winter and not this summer. Most of Alicante's traffic comes during the summer and not the winter.

All route below did not operate for winter 2010/11
Aarhus, Bournemouth, Cork, Derry, Doncaster, Fez, Gdansk, Kerry, Knock, Palma, Pisa, Poznań, Santander, Stockholm Vasteras, Valladolid, Wrocław, Zaragoza

All routes below are new services which did not operate for winter 2010/11
Brno, Cochstedt, Humberside, Kaunas, Tampere

So thats 22 out of 31 planned route to be cut which did not oeprate last winter.

Based aircraft for winter 2010/11 was 5
Based aircraft for winter 2011/12 will be 2

vic88
6th Apr 2011, 14:12
The BSL/PMO route is not loaded yet.

virginblue
6th Apr 2011, 17:05
Europe-wide, Ryanair is responsible for 75.000 jobs...

...at least according their "1m pax equals 1.000 jobs"-mantra (usually followed by "1 based aircraft = 180m investment at airport XYZ"). :ugh:

Hwks
6th Apr 2011, 19:18
Is this airbridge issue at alc the only reason for discontent.ive been through the new terminal several times ,they still use a lot of remote stands. Do these cost the same as using an airbridge??. The new terminal is great for passengers and i f ryanair claim. 4 million pax a year and the cost is 2 million a year this equates to .50 cents per pax.

wowzz
6th Apr 2011, 21:44
So if Ryanair no longer fly from ALC, won't pax simply fly with EZY or JET2 [etc] instead ? it is not as if there are no alternatives.
Ryanair seem to think that they are the only option, which is obviously not the case.

FR-
6th Apr 2011, 22:20
Hmm maybe you should have a look at the routes that are to be cancelled for the winter . . . you trying to tell me jet2 will try
Santander-Alicante, or even easyjet for that matter.

compton3bravo
7th Apr 2011, 07:02
May I humbly remind people including our friends in Dublin that Spain has got a very good land infrastructure. The main roads are excellent although a few have sections of tolls - but we do not pay hardly any road tax and the fuel is cheaper. Most of the main roads are at least dual carriageways with a lot less traffic and are a joy to drive on compared to UK roads. There are 1,500 kilometres of high speed train tracks with more to come compared to 62 miles in the UK and if it is a few minutes late you get your money back (incidentally the government have reduced train tickets by 5 five per cent on short and medium rail journeys to try to get people out of their cars and save fuel - I cannot see that happening in the UK).
Spain already had a good domestic air service although rather expensive before the locos came on the scene and believe it or not the airports are operated for the people who use them and not for shareholders or fat cat managers.
So if our friends in Dublin think they can get one over on AENA (the airport operator) may I humbly suggest they think again. Ryanair could have a go at the new airport at Castellon north of Valencia and hope they last a little longer there than at Ciudad Real!

befree
7th Apr 2011, 07:09
Easyjet beeting FR in Growth for March. It seems FR are going backwards and are still pulling out of airports as fast as they find new ones.

FR buy most of their fuel a year ahead. That means next winters programe will be at this winters fuel price. That could mean a lot smaller flying porgramme.

FR-
7th Apr 2011, 07:44
befree - you should read the share holder rns and then come back with facts.

Yes this winter will be hard, but it will be hard for all other airlines.

fr-

macuser
7th Apr 2011, 09:10
I was reading on the easyJet thread that one of their 7 year-old 737s was destined for scrap. Will FR's fleet be destined to go the same way ?

racedo
7th Apr 2011, 09:24
Easyjet beeting FR in Growth for March. It seems FR are going backwards and are still pulling out of airports as fast as they find new ones.

How can growing at 8% be going backwards ?
Given FR has taken deliberate steps to reduce routes over winter period then it is still an excellent perfromance

FR buy most of their fuel a year ahead. That means next winters programe will be at this winters fuel price. That could mean a lot smaller flying porgramme.

As do many other airlines and as Oil prices are going upwards rather than downwards then being hedged is hardly a penalty.......

TSR2
7th Apr 2011, 10:22
Will FR's fleet be destined to go the same way

I doubt it. There is a bigger demand for the B738 than the B737-700.

Seljuk22
7th Apr 2011, 12:29
Corfu will be a new FR destination: from 7th July STN-CFU

mutleyshriek
7th Apr 2011, 13:28
No matter how many routes Fr launch or how cheap they pretend they are I will never fly Ryanair again.Got stung once and never again.Its not the fact I work for a competitor,I fly Jet2 regular from Blackpool but never ever will I fly with this shower of s***e.My holiday flights to Gran Canaria in oct are booked with Thomas Cook,60 quid more expensive but if they cancel I know il get looked after,thats the difference...

mickyman
7th Apr 2011, 14:09
Befree

You seem to like putting Ryanair in a cacoon where only
negative things happen to THIS airline - if your argument
stood up (About fuel hedging)you would involve other airlines - so readers
could see that you are not biased.If you fail to do that then
your opinion looses its validity.

mutleyshriek

That is the beauty of a free market - happy hols.....

MM

compton3bravo
7th Apr 2011, 15:16
After announcing the new route from Stansted to Corfu this summer, I cannot book a flight on the booking engine. Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing I wonder? Plus I would have thought by now most people going to Corfu for the summer would have already made there flight arrangements - plenty to choose from - may I suggest a bit late in the day for a summer only destination.

Jamie2k9
7th Apr 2011, 15:19
When Ryanair announce new rotues they are not bookable until the next day.

befree
7th Apr 2011, 16:20
ryanair is not like other airlines. It does not care that it leaves pax stranded or that airports are upset. It has around 300 planes to operate but is working to ensure it does not have pax or airports to keep that number of planes in service.

$120/barrel+ oil means fuel costs rise and the industry must downsize. The Ryanair model does not work without cheap fuel.

pwalhx
7th Apr 2011, 16:25
We have had a period of time where this thread has actually been interesting to read and has been full of reasoned or informative comments/information.

Unfortunately we have now returned to the Ryanair lovers and Ryanair hates battling it out again. It is very boring we know what certain individual think both for and against so can they give it a rest.

mickyman
7th Apr 2011, 17:08
pwalhx

So,are you saying that someone who expresses an opinion
should not be challenged?

mm

FR-
7th Apr 2011, 17:24
276 a/c at the moment. Who said ryanair will be paying $120 in the winter? Please do read the last Q3 results, '

80% hedged for FY’12, at an average price of $800 per tonne.'

befree you have been giving out your weekly ryanair will be out of business next year since 2004, give it a rest.

racedo
7th Apr 2011, 17:29
ryanair is not like other airlines. It does not care that it leaves pax stranded or that airports are upset. It has around 300 planes to operate but is working to ensure it does not have pax or airports to keep that number of planes in service.

Which airline has abandoned passengers by strikes and baggages issues most since 2000 ?
BA or Ryanair

$120/barrel+ oil means fuel costs rise and the industry must downsize. The Ryanair model does not work without cheap fuel.

Really

BA has approx 240 aircraft V Ryanair 272
BA carries 40% the number of passengers Ryanair does and BA has just increased its fuel surcharges YET AGAIN.

So can you provide me the industry study that shows when fuel prices rise the Industry must downsize but Ryanair most of all.

vic88
7th Apr 2011, 19:24
No news for the BSL/PMO? It has been entered in the online check-in for 1 week now.
an April fool?

pwalhx
7th Apr 2011, 19:37
No Mickeyman what I am saying is we have the same people sputing the same lines, from both sides all the time and it is tiresome. There are people who post provocative comments based on their own jaundiced view, that is what is tiresome.

As my grandmother used to say ' if you have nothing useful to say then say nothing'

mickyman
7th Apr 2011, 19:51
pwalhx

I can agree with your sentiments fully - but its the nature of an
open forum that some will have issues.....

MM

no slot
7th Apr 2011, 20:21
If the price of fuel increases, the salaries of pilots increase ( worldwide shortage imminent ), the unit price of the machines increase ( Airbus and Boeing happy to be out of a buyers market ), Airport charges increase ( or subsidies decrease ) etc, etc, then airfares increase. The price sensitive market may be tested, and inturn the loco's may have to evolve. I'd like to see Ryanair rebrand soon and get ahead of the possy for the next stage in aviation. Hub and spoke, central airports, mixed class travel and modern yield management, customer service, alliances, group purchasing, a mixed fleet.... Ancillary revenue will stay. Interesting times. Great viewing!

wowzz
7th Apr 2011, 21:22
If [or rather] when fuel prices increase, and thus air-fares increase accordingly, the pax wanting to travel at the new higher fares will be business travellers or more affluent leisure travelers. I would venture that neither of these two groups would put Ryanair as their carrier of choice.
To be fair, I think this is an issue that is facing all lo-co carriers: in an era where cheap fares are no longer possible, how do you differentiate yourself from the competition? The obvious answer is customer service, and I would suggest that service is not Ryanair's strongest selling point.

frfly
7th Apr 2011, 21:48
ryanair's next big focus is customer service. plans are already well underway for improving this. ryanair have the customer base, majority will fly again (but obviously not the kind of people you find on these forums as it's generally people with very strong for/against arguments) and now time to work on keeping these loyal customers.

Majority of pax haven't been stung by Ryanair, like the efficiency of the airline and the punctuality as well as reliability, which well outstrips other low cost carriers. (That I'm afriad is a fact, rather than a view point as punctuality statistics show).

There will always be times people feel hard done by, I wonder how the vast amount of passengers who have been effected by cancellations to their holidays/flights by BA strikes feel!? Ryanair don't pretend to be perfect. A big area to work on is what happens when the flight has to get cancelled for whatever reason, and this will come in time.

The last 10 years has been growth growth growth...now it's time to sit back and work on the product. Watch this space, some interesting changes in the next few years.

Bogey 3 oclock
7th Apr 2011, 22:01
Is it worth sticking around for then frfly, all these new changes?
A better service for the passengers? What about a better service for the employees? Let's start with Good morning when crew control ring you at 4am instead of them barking orders at you!!

blueplatinum
7th Apr 2011, 22:07
So if Ryanair no longer fly from ALC, won't pax simply fly with EZY or JET2 [etc] instead ? it is not as if there are no alternatives.
Ryanair seem to think that they are the only option, which is obviously not the case.
You are not comparing like with like. The two airlines you mention are generally significantly more expensive than FR.

clareview
7th Apr 2011, 22:29
It seesm some are suggesting that the low cost model has had its day due to fuel costs, taxes, capital costs etc. Clearly cost is all relative. For example, if Ryanair is £50 and BA is £100 and costs rise 20% then Ryanair is £60 and BA is £120 then Ryanair is still low cost. Even if the % rise hits the Low costs carrier more and it becomes £75 to BA's £120, it is still the low cost.

The point is rising costs hit all the airlines

racedo
7th Apr 2011, 22:50
You're comparing apples and oranges, BA don't fly the same aircraft type as FR, they fly a wide variety, some smaller and some bigger. BA might well carry 40% of the number of passengers that FR carry but the chances are the average BA passengers will have (gladly) paid more for their seat than the average FR passenger will pay or will expect to pay.

In 12 months to March 2002 Ryanair carried 11 Million Passengers, BA carried 40 Million, now BA carries 32 million and Ryanair carries 73 Million.

Yup coming Ryanair with BA is unfair:rolleyes:

Alsacienne
8th Apr 2011, 06:36
No news for the BSL/PMO? It has been entered in the online check-in for 1 week now.
an April fool?

Well there's no fool like an old fool and I can't get this to show in Ryanair's German, English or Italian websites ....................

So where am I going wrong? I thought BSL and FR parted company not on the best of terms so I'm very surprised to think they'd be going back there again and on such a potentially underused route.

Charlie Roy
8th Apr 2011, 09:06
No news for the BSL/PMO?

Maybe There once was a Trapani to Basel? And when Trapani routes got transferred to Palermo for Trapani's closure, old routes were also transferred in the database update...

LGWAlan
8th Apr 2011, 13:19
STNCFU now bookable - Mon and Thur 1145-1555/1620-1840

jethro15
8th Apr 2011, 13:46
Ryanair have cancelled 8 previously ordered a/c

FLEET WATCH: Orders March 2011-08/04/2011-London-Commercial Aviation Online (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/04/08/355361/fleet-watch-orders-march-2011.html)

Were these origionally due 2011 or 2012?

jpthomas72
8th Apr 2011, 13:58
The long-running developments regarding low-fares airlines entering Montenegro seem to be finally going somewhere:

Balkans.com Business News : Ryanair in Podgorica and Tivat soon (http://www.balkans.com/open-news.php?uniquenumber=100759)

Not good news for Montenegro Airlines, however they've been in trouble before. Stories not unlike others we've seen in Eastern Europe (notably LT, SK). Maybe they are lucky and LH will snap them up. Tivat (TIV) used to be massively popular in the 80s for holiday makers, and Air Berlin (following the LTU tradition) is already flying there in the summer. The coast had lots of UK property investors over the past years. So listen, FR punters, MNE is not a cheap country. Podgorica (TGD) is probably the only capital city in Europe without some sort of low-fares carrier. To those who don't know the story: TGD is the city's old name from YU times, Titograd. So like at LED, those codes seem unchangeable. Quite possibly FR will sell TIV as something like Dubrovnik-East.

compton3bravo
8th Apr 2011, 16:14
I am sorry to be so critical because I have travelled Ryanair myself although some time ago now but a twice weekly service to Corfu from Stansted is going to create quote ''up to 30 local jobs''. I know there is spin but come on.

FR-
8th Apr 2011, 17:10
Somewhere like corfu it will create jobs, most of the pax will be tourists and need a hotel, something to do, ie daytrips/boat trips/waterparks. Twice a week, even if its just 300pax a week its 300 people using local services, keeping people in jobs.

fr-

Fosters
8th Apr 2011, 17:59
Your last comment says "keeping people in jobs" which is not the same as "creating jobs"

eu01
8th Apr 2011, 18:14
Ryanair have cancelled 8 previously ordered a/c

Cancelling part of those special-cheap priced ones from the famous discount-deal with Boeing or were they to be purchased at the different price now? Anyway, the cancellation of exceptionally cheap a/c would suggest a very gloomy outlook for the years to come.

anna_list
8th Apr 2011, 18:49
There's a big difference between cancelled orders and cancelled options. I wonder if the linked article has made a mistake?

Ryanair's 2005 order was for 70 firm + 70 options. As I recall, the options are either confirmed or cancelled on a rolling basis. In the past some options have been exercised, whilst others have been cancelled. I could be wrong, but I suspect this is what has happened here.

Carnethy
9th Apr 2011, 21:48
Cyprus Tourism Organisation in discussion with Ryanair regarding basing 2 aircraft in Paphos from the Autumn, operating 30 routes.

ards_boy
11th Apr 2011, 14:35
Has anyone heard of RYR making a return to one of the Belfast airports? Seems to be doing the rounds atm, but just wondering if there is any substance to these stories?

wesleyscott
11th Apr 2011, 15:08
ryanair have been TOLD by Spain (along with all other airlines) to allow people to carry airport purchases and duty free as a separate bag if they wish to rather than having to force them into the one they have.
This is beneficial to the passenger but there's simply no room in overhead bins for all the junk....any thoughts??

BFS101
11th Apr 2011, 15:12
Doubtful at BHD as Servisair are planning redundancies for ground-staff and despatchers, due to the loss of FR and soon EZY. If any new carriers had been muted to be starting soon, you think Servisair would hold off, to stop having the recruiting expense again in the very near future, and the loss of trained experienced staff.

Hoping to get enough through voluntary, but compulsory redundancies have not been ruled out. My contact tells me the atmosphere is horrendous at the minute.

Zippy Monster
11th Apr 2011, 16:02
This is beneficial to the passenger but there's simply no room in overhead bins for all the junk....any thoughts??

Yes, put it under the seat in front. If people insist on stocking up on cheap booze and fags, it's not a lot to ask for them to sacrifice a bit of legroom!

ards_boy
11th Apr 2011, 16:13
Perhaps BFS is going to get a go then.....can only hope

NorthernCounties
11th Apr 2011, 16:15
This would cause havoc though as those on the plane first would load the overhead bins, and then when the aircraft is over half boarded, the over head bins would be at capacity and passengers would have to put there small suitcase and bags down and under the seat in front of them... this could make the plane heavier on the front than back and to enforce equal bags above and below would be so time consuming that turn arounds would be slower. I can never understand why there's always one or two people that make it too the boarding gate oblivous to the rules and then make a massive deal...:rolleyes:

CARNMANORLAD
11th Apr 2011, 17:08
Perhaps BFS is going to get a go then.....can only hope

I'd doubt it because apart from mainland european routes were else can RYR fly to from BFS. EZY, LS and EI have the domestic routes covered?

As for BHD could they let RYR in with the seat/movement restriction, do they have enough leway?

take-off
12th Apr 2011, 06:14
well if ryanair and other airlines, won't allow pax to purchase items in shops that mean extra carry on bags , how are the airports going to make any money, as such airlines (not just ryanair) want to pay as little as possible, it's pointless have shaopping malls in airports if nobody can use them, in turn airports will then have to cut back else where, and end up saying no to airlines demands, will this be another one where said airline spits its dummy out, as it is in alicante from october?

Ryanair Shrinks Spanish Hub, Says Passengers Must Use Stairs, Not Bridges - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-05/ryanair-shrinks-spanish-hub-says-passengers-must-use-stairs-not-bridges.html)

RAT 5
12th Apr 2011, 10:40
The ALC fiasco raises a question. Do airlines fly to:
a) where pax want to go?
b) where the airline gets the cheapest deal?

If so many routes are taken from ALC, but the pax still want to go there, the only option is to de-plane to a competitior. Is that good business practice; to force your customers into the arms of another?

At some places the 25 min turn-round is a non-starter anyway: Spain & Italy being obvious examples. Just another item of the SWA model that was adopted but applied under different conditions.

ericlday
12th Apr 2011, 11:05
Turn around time in Tenerife on LTN-TFS-LTN is 35 mins but frequently more as arrival into TFS is usually early.

saggst
12th Apr 2011, 16:04
But when the Aircraft operates TFS-LTN-TFS i.e on a TFS based aircraft we only have a 25 minute turnaround at Luton

frfly
12th Apr 2011, 16:10
Spain gets 35 minute-50 minute turns (the latter becoming more frequent now in places like BCN where boarding is a nightmare) mainly due to use of airbridges/buses/taking more fuel etc. 25 minute turns feature more in the smaller spanish airports like GRO, REU and SDR due to always using steps. 25 minute turns are just doable as long as the PAX are out waiting on the ramp for the last minute of the security check.

Italy is impossible due to no fuelling and boarding allowed. Always rely on landing early in these places.

davidjohnson6
12th Apr 2011, 19:12
The ALC fiasco raises a question. Do airlines fly to:
a) where pax want to go?
b) where the airline gets the cheapest deal?

It's a similiar concept with out-of-town shopping centres.
Rent on a street in a city centre is very expensive. Rent about 2 miles from the city centre is much cheaper. If you want to open a shopand you think you can get almost as many customers, it makes better sense to try to open the shop out of the centre.

Behaving the way customers want costs you money. Train the customers to behave in the way you want, and it can be much more profitable

NorthernCounties
12th Apr 2011, 19:21
Behaving the way customers want costs you money. Train the customers to behave in the way you want, and it can be much more profitable

That's a very good statement/observation!

Jamie2k9
12th Apr 2011, 21:22
Cyprus Tourism Organisation in discussion with Ryanair regarding basing 2 aircraft in Paphos from the Autumn, operating 30 routes.

An announcement will be made in the coming weeks. I don't think there is going to be 30 routes but Dublin looks set to be one of them.

NorthernCounties
12th Apr 2011, 21:29
An announcement will be made in the coming weeks. I don't think there is going to be 30 routes but Dublin looks set to be one of them.

More good news for Dublin! Any other Irish airports under consideration? I'm guessing STN will be on the cards as well.

Jamie2k9
12th Apr 2011, 21:42
Just like LCA, markets already served will be protected and no discounts will be given so if they want to operate routes to the UK then they will have to pay full charges.

Norway, Sweedan, Germany and Ireland are all being looked at as some have very few connections to Paphas and some no flights at all.

Telstar
13th Apr 2011, 08:19
Jamie2k9, Is that new routes for LCA or will it be based aircraft?

Ian Brooks
13th Apr 2011, 08:54
Manchester routes start today but not with based aircraft

RAT 5
13th Apr 2011, 10:42
Dublin - Paphos - Dublin: and I thought RYR were not going to do long-haul just yet.

EXS258
13th Apr 2011, 11:24
The new Palma route being operated by ALC based A/C -
ALC-PMI-MAN-PMI-ALC

EXS258

Jamie2k9
13th Apr 2011, 12:06
Jamie2k9, Is that new routes for LCA or will it be based aircraft?

They will be from Paphas if a deal can be reached. There is talk of a base in Paphas but I don't see that happoning this year.

Dublin - Paphos - Dublin: and I thought RYR were not going to do long-haul just yet.

I'm sure Ryanair will try anything if they there is money to be made.

positive
13th Apr 2011, 12:22
Quote:
I'm sure Ryanair will try anything if they there is money to be made.

I wonder will this route and other Ryanair routes from Dublin be as a result of the new Irish government cancelling the travel tax and lower airport charges from next month as promised if airlines introduced routes/new routes back which were cancelled over the last few years?

Jamie2k9
13th Apr 2011, 12:27
Dublin airport charges are not going down next month. They only went up at the end of March. The Travel Tax may be gone.

positive
13th Apr 2011, 12:58
I had thought the government were going to work with the aviation regulator/DAA to try and lower charges at DUB/ORK/SNN for all airlines.

Jamie2k9
15th Apr 2011, 23:28
A new Ryanair base in Lamezia (Italy) may be on the cards.

Noxegon
16th Apr 2011, 06:42
I've just seen this one...

AENA insists Ryanair must comply with new carry-on purchase rules | TheMoodieReport.com (http://www.moodiereport.com/document.php?c_id=6&doc_id=26952)

Ryanair, clearly, is not amused...

Briefing note - Checked in Bags (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/briefing-note-checked-in-bags)

I'm not sure what I think of this.

RAT 5
16th Apr 2011, 07:36
From RYR press release:

3.for bookings after 16th March, Ryanair is increasing each passenger’s luggage allowance from the current 25kgs to 30kgs (comprising 10kgs carry-on and 20kgs checked-in luggage) which will substantially reduce excess baggage fees and finally

4.all passengers travelling with checked in luggage who book after 16th March will now pay a fee of £2.50 (€3.50) per bag, per flight if booked in advance on online, or £5.00 (€7.00) per bag, per flight if presented un-booked at the airport.

Noxegon. Thanks for the link, and above I quote from it, but am confused. Please shed light, anyone. It would seem from 3 that the allowed normal checked-in baggage has been raised to 20kgs. From 4 it does not say 'extra' 2.50/3.50, but only that price as a fee. I've just tried to book a flight on RYR (after March 16th) and it quotes 15euros for 15kgs & 25euros for 20kgs per sector. This does not seem to agree with the above 'press release'. Am I missing something?

wesleyscott
16th Apr 2011, 07:49
the press release they refer to is from March 2006

FR-
16th Apr 2011, 07:55
'effective from 16th March 2006'

And the website is giving the current price of a checked in bag, the £2.50 comes from when the charge was first introduced in 2006.

FR-

daz211
16th Apr 2011, 15:29
Can anyone tell me if Ryanair are allowing 1 x carry-on bag upto 10kg
and 1 x duty free bag on Spanish routes ie (Lanzarote - ACE).

PhilW1981
16th Apr 2011, 21:02
Ryanair says no, AENA, which owns all Spanish airports says yes so take your pick.

wowzz
16th Apr 2011, 21:09
If in doubt, go with what Ryanair believes to be the case. [no pun intended]
It is useless trying to argue a point of EC law with Ryanair staff when you are trying to board a flight.

PhilW1981
16th Apr 2011, 23:29
I've never had a "fight" with a commission hungry Ryanair gate person as I'm always aware of what I can and can't do as SLF however this is one fight I'd be interested in having. Surely local juristiction would hold sway over Ryanair, they cannot legally enforce their Irish T & C's in other European countries. Might be worth having a couple of thousand ciggies "confiscated" at the gate just for the pleasure of hauling FR through the coals and gaining both suitable compensation and a change in their corporate policy.

racedo
16th Apr 2011, 23:39
Surely local juristiction would hold sway over Ryanair, they cannot legally enforce their Irish T & C's in other European countries.

So if a country decides you can take live pigs onto a flight then every airline must agree to it !! An extreme example but just as valid.

Spanish are taking this viewpoint because they say they are not taking as much money as they like at their airports.........I doubt EU will go along with this even if it gets that far.

XSBaggage
17th Apr 2011, 00:47
"Commission hungry Ryanair gate person" isn't exactly an accurate description - does anyone actually believe Ryanair offer commission? Since when did they offer "carrots" rather than "sticks"? They put lots of pressure on their handling agents to enforce the rules, rather than offering actual incentives which might, god forbid, actually cost them money! Personally, I haven't had any problems carrying a duty free bag on in addition to my hand luggage, but I understand I may be in a minority.

compton3bravo
17th Apr 2011, 05:44
With respect Racedo you do not know AENA - as you know they run all the Spanish airports for the travelling public - I know that my sound a bit odd these days - and not for foreign airlines and private companies who have to pay shareholders and fat cat directors. As Ryanair have said to many airports if you do not like it we will go somewhere else - me thinks the ball might be on the other foot now!

eu01
17th Apr 2011, 06:21
Might be worth having a couple of thousand ciggies "confiscated" at the gateWell indeed, it would be certainly good for your health :}

P.S. Really!

Noxegon
17th Apr 2011, 07:12
So if a country decides you can take live pigs onto a flight then every airline must agree to it !! An extreme example but just as valid.

If it's the law, then yes.

davidjohnson6
17th Apr 2011, 11:39
Does anyone reading this forum understand what EU law does and doesn't permit when a company based in one EU country sells air tickets on the web under the contract law of one country but delivers the transport to/from another country ? Under what circumstances does the law of the country of departure override the law governing the commercial contract ?

I suspect that Aena and the Spanish Govt will start to do some serious arm twisting behind the scenes. If that works, then Ryanair may back down to some extent. If not, it'll go to an EU court and be dragged out over some time.

Hollymead
18th Apr 2011, 09:08
"Commission hungry Ryanair gate person" isn't exactly an accurate description - does anyone actually believe Ryanair offer commission?

It's a 100% accurate description at Stansted , the 'Ryanair gate person' is paid commision per bag , there is also a minimum amount they must achieve per flight , this is paid by their employer Swissport though and not direct from Ryanair .

wouldhave
18th Apr 2011, 13:56
Having just returned from PMI with Ryanair, there were posters all over the airport stating that you could take a duty free bag on board as extra to your normal hand luggage. However on closer inspection there was a star at the end of it and at the bottom of the poster it stated that this was subject to the airline and to check with them first.

On another note, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by Ryanair. I had always been one of those people who insisted they would never fly with them. Now if the price was right, I would have no problem with them. Only observation - make sure you follow their rules and you will be fine.

Sober Lark
18th Apr 2011, 14:10
"make sure you follow their rules and you will be fine"

But no wouldhave.

You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. - Albert Einstein.

eu01
18th Apr 2011, 15:59
Albert EinsteinI wouldn't have dared to put Einstein into that context, but actually... it fits very well.

Some news from Bulgaria now:
Irish low-cost company Ryanair plans to open flights from Spain to Plovdiv in Bulgaria in the autumn this year at the latest.

"Even though the company recently dropped plans for a line from the Bulgarian city of Plovdiv to Barcelona, Spain, a service between the two countries will be launched as early as this year," Doychin Anguelov, executive director of Plovdiv Airport, told business news provider Investor.bg.

"Tickets for the flights were on sale since December 2010 and demand was brisk," he said, attributing the great interest to the big communities of Bulgarian immigrants in Spain, which totals 300,000.

The reason for the preliminary annulments of the new line was the termination of the five-year contract between Ryanair and the Barcelona Girona Airport.
Source: novinite.com (http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=127427)

lfc84
18th Apr 2011, 16:03
Having just returned from PMI with Ryanair, there were posters all over the airport stating that you could take a duty free bag on board as extra to your normal hand luggage. However on closer inspection there was a star at the end of it and at the bottom of the poster it stated that this was subject to the airline and to check with them first.

Iirc at LPL the duty free shops signs say Ryanair will allow a bag of shopping bought in the shop. I'm paraphrasing, but Ryanais is mentioned by name.

daz211
18th Apr 2011, 16:36
Well thanks for the info everyone
I fly back on the 14th May so will look out for posters in the duty free shop and Departure areas and will report when back, I may even just try and test the sysem with a duty free bag containing my flip flops that I could just slide into my bag after the " sorry only one bag allowed sir " :}.

RAT 5
18th Apr 2011, 17:45
AGP. My wife had a cabin bag with tiny wheels. Used it for years on many airlines including RYR. At the gate one slip of a girl suggested it would not fit in the template. There wasn't one there, but she decided it was too big and wanted 30euros for the hold. My wife had a plastic carrier bag inside and emptied the wheely bag and stuffed, just, everything into a plastic bag. Left said wheely bag behind, which was worth less than 30euros. Shameful behaviour. And then the snacks bar was almost empty on board. Not the most pleasant experience.
FCO easyjet. After check-in, and before going to the gate, there was a handling agent with a hand baggage frame. If in doubt she checked it and handed out ez OK stickers. At the boarding gate there was another frame and if any doubt the case had to be tried. It took forever to board. People were in panic and nervously swapping stuff between bags, even with strangers. Dunkirk spirit had come to Italy. One Italian lad had a bag where the fixed wheels were 2cm too big to fit. He huffed and he puffed and he broke them off with his foot. Then it fitted. All the pax were horrified at this gestapo ad-herance to petty rules, in Italy of all places.
Air Rage starts on the ground.

Which reminds me; there is an ICAO measurement for hand baggage. Why does RYR, Wizzair and perhaps others have a smaller size on the same type a/c? I've heard it where a pax went one way with ez (ICAO size) and came back with BMI baby (or Jet 2?) which has 5cm smaller in one dimension. Not allowed and they were relieved of 25GBP to put it in the hold. I sometimes fly with a national carrier who shows common sense. 2 pieces in the cabin e.g a cabinbag + laptop/duty free/handbag/umbrella/overcoat/camera + 23kgs hold luggage with a sympathetic tolerance to 2kgs over. Scale error. If you take the real bottom line of their ticket price for a weeks trip with luggage, and the extra leg room, and the free bar, and the free option to catch an earlier flight back (same day as original), and the smile and friendly attitude they are often way cheaper than the so-called LoCo's. And you arrive less stressed. Rules are rules, I know, but come-on.........

TSR2
18th Apr 2011, 18:01
Rules are rules, I know, but come-on.........

Yes, but where do you draw the line. The only way is to comply with the clearly stated allowance and you will have no problem.

lfc84
18th Apr 2011, 18:36
without wishing to deviate OT. Easyjet carrier regulations do state in section 10:

Carrier's Regulations | easyJet.com (http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage)

In addition to the “Standard Hand Baggage” you may also carry:
(a) one of the following: An overcoat; an umbrella, or a shawl; and
(b) one standard size carrier bag of goods purchased from the departure airport.

whereas Ryanair:

General Conditions (http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-cabinbaggage)

Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc.) must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage.

So any notice in the airport about duty free carrier bags being allowed would appear to be in contravention of the ryanair terms and conditions

blueplatinum
18th Apr 2011, 20:00
http://www.golfcanaria.com/PERS/DSCF3938-small.jpg

Nothrills
19th Apr 2011, 07:47
Cannot confirm 100% but I suspect that Ryanair's frames currently used for checking the hand-baggage size are actually about 55x40x19.5. Which can be of great significance to a passenger asked to fit his bag in. Anyone could confirm that?

jdcg
19th Apr 2011, 08:37
Don't know about the dimensions but I did hear a recent story of someone flying back with FR from the continent (possibly Italy) who was allegedly challenged on his 10kg allowance with the claim that it was more than a kilo overweight. Whereupon he placed a 500g bag of sugar on the scales to see that it was coming up as 1.5kg and was hurriedly hushed up and put on the plane. This sounds a bit apocryphal but I was assured that he really did have that bag of sugar with him. (These things can happen. I just came back from Tuscany with bags of chestnut flour!). This is not a jibe at FR by the way as I presume it was local staff. Having said that, are local companies incentivised by airlines to catch people out?
On the subject of Italy and hand luggage I have noticed that they seem to be particularly sharp on allowances there, especially at Treviso in my experience. But, I also noticed that Italian passengers do seem to want to carry more hand luggage than anyone else.

lfc84
19th Apr 2011, 08:42
go to the unmanned check in desks and weigh your bag. last time i tried this there were 3 desks next to each other. weighed my bag and got 3 different answers. if airlines are going to be strict then they need to be fair in enforcement.

Skipness One Echo
19th Apr 2011, 09:54
From my days in retail there were heavy fines for weighing machines being out of balance. Presumably people just get awat with it theses days?

We had a strict (and dull) monitering regime where every scale in the rather large supermarket was checked once a week. I know I had to do it one weekend..

Jamie2k9
19th Apr 2011, 10:19
Ryanair To Trial Reserved Seating (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-to-trial-reserved-seating)

Only on Dublin - London-Gatwick and Dublin - Malaga from 16 May.

Cost €10 and includes priority boarding - First 2 rows can be reserved for a quick exit or over wing rows 16/17 with extra leg room.

Passengers who have priority boarding will not be allowed on before the passengers who reserve seats.

daz211
19th Apr 2011, 11:13
Very good idea money wise... the only problem and I guess the reason why they are going to trial it is - ON TIME DEPARTURE ...

One of the reasons why Ryanair have such a good record for on-time flights is the fact that all the passengers are at the gate ready to board long before the flight has even landed. I think even if you just sold exit rows for £10 the people who will buy them will just spend more time in the cafe and shops to avoid the scrum, I guess thats why they are adding priority boarding but if it was me i would still rather turn up at the gate after the scrum and take my seat...

Why not just go the whole hog and have a Ryanair first class maybe named "Golden Harp" seating 2-2 stick a gold head rest cover on the first 5-10 rows free 2pc 30kg hold baggage free drinks/snacks and paper maybe even a portable IFE unit and charge an extra £100 on ticket price, if the seats arnt all taken the people who have payed for prioraty boarding only could get a free upgrade at the gate this may make more people buy prioraty boarding on the off chance they my get a free upgrade...
This will also attract more busines travelers...

racedo
19th Apr 2011, 11:21
Que Anti Ryanair brigade........How dare they change things that we don't like and will never travel on them because of it (overlooking they don't use them anyway) :cool:

racedo
19th Apr 2011, 11:24
I think even if you just sold exit rows for £10 the people who will buy them will just spend more time in the cafe and shops to avoid the scrum, I guess thats why they are adding priority boarding but if it was me i would still rather turn up at the gate after the scrum and take my seat...

I think the requirement to avail of this will be you must be ready to board 1st rather than waiting until the last.

Owlery
19th Apr 2011, 12:34
Some interesting posts...I flew Ryanair from AGP to EMA last month and regretted not being able to buy anything from the airport shops as my bag was already quite full (thanks to the 15kg limit on the hold baggage!). It was clear from the airline's regulations that buying any duty-free would not be tolerated if it meant an extra bag of any type. As a precaution I never buy anything that can't fit in my bag.
So generally no cheap booze.:{

Some people joined the queue for boarding with two bags (one of which was a plastic carrier bag from an airside shop). I expected this to cause trouble but it seemed to be ignored.

Boarding began half an hour before the flight time but the plane took over 45 minutes to load as the flight was full (so we arrived at EMA late). It was pretty tiring standing for all that time (there was a long wait at checkin as well) and I would have paid to reserve a seat just so I could join the flight after the queue had dispersed.

Hollymead
19th Apr 2011, 13:35
go to the unmanned check in desks and weigh your bag. last time i tried this there were 3 desks next to each other. weighed my bag and got 3 different answers. if airlines are going to be strict then they need to be fair in enforcement.

And thats without the check in agents foot against it .

waffler
19th Apr 2011, 14:42
I think the requirement to avail of this will be you must be ready to board 1st rather than waiting until the last.

If you were 1st then you would not have to buy it,you would sit there for free.

Chidken Sangwich
19th Apr 2011, 14:49
Just continue with the 'love', i've just booked 2 returns to ALC in September from LGW on.... EasyJet...

Ryanair - £35 cheaper, better flight times, better Aircraft (in my opinion), but bull*hit marketing, cabin crew talking 'sales' for the entire sector, and the constant PA annoyance every 5 minutes swayed it for me.

I also like the feeling that when flying with EZY you are treated like a passenger, not an 'inconvenience'.

Owlery
19th Apr 2011, 14:51
Waffler - that's true; the people with seat reservations would have to be called on board first. But you can sit down and wait until the gate opens rather than join in the crush, so it's beneficial.

jdcg
19th Apr 2011, 15:58
I think it's unfair to insinuate that FR cabin crew view passengers as an "inconvenience".
I, too, prefer EZY and their CC but most of the FR crew I meet are really friendly and pleasant. The PA stuff and the marketing is intensely annoying but that's not the crew's fault. They must hate it as much as us.

blueplatinum
19th Apr 2011, 16:44
See link : BBC News - George Best Belfast City Airport: new inquiry call (http://goo.gl/Tw6Nf)

daz211
19th Apr 2011, 16:44
The PA stuff and the marketing is intensely annoying but that's not the crew's fault.

How can it be annoying it not like every announcement cuts into your IFE "now that is annoying".
I simply book print and board, watch the crew do there thing on landing on water then plug my iphone in and watch a move or have some music on, I never hear anything and can see when the drinks trolloy is on it way.

Infact I find Ryanair flights the most relaxing and uninterupted flights there is.

Noxegon
19th Apr 2011, 17:36
How can it be annoying

You've obviously never been on a 6:00am flight when your attempt at sleeping is interrupted by continuous announcements about train tickets and scratch cards...

pamann
19th Apr 2011, 17:44
Infact I find Ryanair flights the most relaxing and uninterupted flights there is.

Or on a flight at late in the evening when it really would be polite to put the cabin lighting on a lower setting other than "Stupidly Bright"! :ugh:

daz211
19th Apr 2011, 17:45
Read my post again ! once onboad my iphone goes on and I hear nothing ... The point I am making is the PA's that cut into your IFE on other flights with other Airlines annoy me 10x as much as any announcement for train tickets which I repeat I dont hear.

And as for turning the lights down have you ever took a red eye on BA with the heating turned up so much you cant sleep anyway and dont get me started on the sour faced CC that are about 100 yrs old and look like if they have to talk to one more Passenger they would rather jump from the Aircraft at 34,000 feet.

eu01
19th Apr 2011, 18:05
Ryanair To Trial Reserved Seating
Way to go (as long as it's optional). Now waiting for some carefully selected connecting flights.

COSTABRAVO
19th Apr 2011, 19:59
Read my post again ! once onboad my iphone goes on and I hear nothing ... The point I am making is the PA's that cut into your IFE on other flights with other Airlines annoy me 10x as much as any announcement for train tickets which I repeat I dont hear.

My MP3 works with all airlines not just Ryanair!!!

daz211
19th Apr 2011, 20:06
Thanks for backing up my point !!!

pamann
19th Apr 2011, 20:12
No one mentioned BA did they?

However from a customer service point of view (in-flight) Ryanair are sh1t I'm afraid. However if the price is right or they are the only ones going...

They could 'tweek' a few more things other than reserved seating (those already mentioned) before I'd choose them over Easy. And I'm happy to pay a bit extra if Easy duplicate the route.

Oh and on the BA subject daz211... At least they're conversational in 'English'. Comes in handy should said plane suddenly burst into a ball of flames *or similar*. :ok:

FR-
19th Apr 2011, 20:31
I know what you mean about the level of english within ryanair :ugh:, but all crew are icao level 4.

fr-

daz211
19th Apr 2011, 20:44
Well each to there own re- FR v EZY but as for CC speaking bad english I for one have taken enough flights in my time with many world wide Airlines that If I need to get off in a hurry I would know what to do also BRACE BRACE BRACE and leave the A/C now leave everything and JUMP JUMP JUMP would be easy to hear even in chinese...

wowzz
19th Apr 2011, 20:56
daz - I think you trying to compare two totally different scenarios here, and also pretend to be more travelled than you are.
The main points are:
Do you prefer Ryanair or Ezy? We all have our own point of view, and nothing will change our minds.
Do we like BA? Nothing to do with this thread - having flown with numerous airlines, every flight has pros and cons, but this is NOT the place to compare them.
Come on the U's ! [I assume you know what I am referring to ?]

pamann
19th Apr 2011, 20:56
Training crew in their shout commands when evacuating an aircraft, I'd beg to differ IMHO.

Anyway...

daz211
19th Apr 2011, 21:05
I have/do travel the world more than most, I work in aviation and my job takes me all over the world, I work for an Airline that has offices in every country in the world and most cities in the world we have many A/C ranging from 146's to 744's so I would concider myself very well traveled. as for the rest of your rant what do you mean by the U's ?

wowzz
19th Apr 2011, 21:48
Hi daz - the local football team - Colchester United - known to all us supporters [although God knows we've had a rough time recently] as the U's.
Are you sure you live in Colchester ?
[PS: you have spelt consider & travelled wrongly. I won't bother pointing out your various punctuation errors]
Rant over.
Come on the U's!

pwalhx
20th Apr 2011, 07:25
Daz

I am sorry but I do not know of any airline that has offices in every country in the world and most cities, please enlighten us I am fascinated.

daz211
20th Apr 2011, 07:26
R ... the U's yer, not enought time in my life to follow them and not enough time in my life to worry about spelling and punctuation spelling has never been a strong point of mine but has never held me back in my line of work as everything is done in codes and numbers and I have found a dictaphone comes in very handy due the the places I have to travel not having english as a first language most of my work gets typed up by some other poor sod anyway good job my strong points include goegraphy and having a face that fits ... Infact you have a very valid point looking back at my spelling and punctuation I my self would concider myself very lucky to hold the position I have and the benefits that come along with it dont get me wrong im no pilot but get payed just as much and even with my pay scale I still enjoy a Ryanair bargin and find their flight times are better than most :ok:

So now I have had my home worked marked :ouch: ... lets get back on topic ;).

daz211
20th Apr 2011, 07:32
Every country YES and most cities YES !
I am not getting into who I work for but we operate Cargo and Passenger flights all over the world and the point I was making is I am very well traveled.

pwalhx
20th Apr 2011, 07:37
Daz

You took my post completely the wrong way, it was not a dig, just after working in cargo for over 30 years I was unaware that there was an airline with so many offices and I was just interested.

daz211
20th Apr 2011, 07:53
I did not think you were having a dig :O.

My fault what I should have said is I work for a company who has offices in every country and almost every city in the world I work in the Airline arm of said company and its one of the big players in Cargo we offer passenger flights aswell as cargo and my work takes me all over the world infact over 70% of my work is overseas and getting there is a mix of jump seat and self.

But we best get back on topic or it will be more than my spelling and punctuation getting ticked off ;).

frfly
20th Apr 2011, 08:35
New FR website....very errrr....yellow!!!

blueplatinum
20th Apr 2011, 13:02
It seems to be mainly the home page that has changed. The site still includes that horrible "Security Check" with the impossible to read letters.

Stevek
20th Apr 2011, 13:16
Where is this security check located?

Skipness One Echo
20th Apr 2011, 13:18
London (Stansted) is now London(Stan) which is what the Daily Mail has been claiming for years!!!

I thank you !:O

mickyman
20th Apr 2011, 14:11
Skipness

I take my hat off to you for that one.....v.good !!

MM

LGS6753
20th Apr 2011, 20:44
YouTube - Hitler Ryanair Rant

Interesting...

Jamie2k9
21st Apr 2011, 10:20
Ryanair are back in talks with Budapest Airport. If agreement is reached it will most lightly be early 2012 before they return.

blueplatinum
21st Apr 2011, 14:51
Where is this security check located?After the screen where you put in the details of the flight you want but before it displays the results.

MidlandDeltic
21st Apr 2011, 16:01
After the screen where you put in the details of the flight you want but before it displays the results.

Nope - proceeded as far as the payment page, not such check here.

MD

Cyrano
21st Apr 2011, 21:59
Nope - proceeded as far as the payment page, not such check here.

MD

Maybe only appears if you are accessing the site in a particular language/from a particular set of IP addresses? I've never seen it either (in Ireland).

Shanwickman
22nd Apr 2011, 08:55
I am in Spain at the moment and if I access the Ryanair site in an Internet cafe I am asked to enter the security code. Also have to enter code if using my iPad via wifi. However when using a local 3G sim in my iPad I am not asked for the code. The Ryanair site says it is to prevent automatic scanning of their system.

ericlday
22nd Apr 2011, 09:11
Accessing from Tenerife via house broadband and no security check.

maggot738
23rd Apr 2011, 09:17
Has anybody been able to locate the timetable function on the new website?

daz211
23rd Apr 2011, 09:30
Its abit odd but .... its in Manage My Booking :rolleyes:.