View Full Version : Ryanair - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16

j636
24th Jan 2012, 16:45
Ryanair May Start Flights to Ukraine in May, Interfax Reports - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-24/ryanair-may-start-flights-to-ukraine-in-may-interfax-reports.html)

Can you see it happining.

Route Map - click on Lodz and it shows Budapest as a route but click on Budapest and it dosn't show Lodz

eu01
24th Jan 2012, 17:35
The BUD to Lodz route link is probably untrue. Lodz got the new route to Bristol today, I think the fault could be related to this update.

Btw., no second aircraft for new Wroclaw base, MOL just wanted to arrange some pictures and videos with him dressed as a Polish national football team supporter.nQICgeV-4kw

Cymmon
24th Jan 2012, 19:10
Any news on Arrecife, Lanzarote being lowered from base to outstation after summer season?

Canarian government extended no tax rule for 6 months only.....

The Hypnoboon
24th Jan 2012, 21:13
A bit late to the party, but, it is disappointing there is no return to the schedule for Prestwick - Budapest. Used the flight a fair few times, and it was always packed.

jdcg
25th Jan 2012, 16:09
Rumours elsewhere of flights to Lviv (LWO) from UK and France from May. Great, if true. I went there last year and it's a fantastic place with a beautiful old city and friendly locals.
Hope that lasts though if there's a horrible influx of stag weekenders.

PPRuNeUser0176
25th Jan 2012, 18:45
EDI-Berlin being dropped from 12 May, all other Berlin routes will transfer to the new airport from 3 June onwords.

eu01
26th Jan 2012, 19:21
Greece

The base in Thessaloniki is precisely... 1.5 million euro away. Ryanair has requested 1.5 million a year for opening the base and bringing 500,000 passengers to the city (annually). The proposal was submitted to Tourism Promotion Agency of the city. This is being considered now.

Seljuk22
28th Jan 2012, 19:31
FR will fly to/from BER but will reduce frequencies to almost all of their destinations. Not a good sign.

jabird
28th Jan 2012, 19:44
Seljuk,

FR will fly to/from BER but will reduce frequencies to almost all of their destinations. Not a good sign.

I beg to differ. A massive new multi billion € airport like BER was always going to be a ripe opportunity for MOL to have a hissy fit and storm off. Except that he doesn't have anywhere to storm off to - so a slight reduction in frequency across the board, but the routes stay, is not such a bad outcome.

From the UK routes perspective, ok, so EDI loses out, but Easy still do GLA. Meanwhile here @BHX, we get a new LH route - so every opportunity for either of those two (less likely AB) to pick up the route FR have dropped.

Ideally, I guess MOL would rather stay at the SXF terminal, but that's not going to happen, so once the new airport has settled down, routes will slowly start coming back. Look how much he screamed about ORK, which cost a fraction of what is being spent on BER - but how many routes have since been moved over from SNN, where I presume he just can't get the same yields.

j636
28th Jan 2012, 22:25
The reductions will take affect from 25 March before the airport move happons.

AGP - cancelled
EDI - cancelled from 12 May
DUB - reduced from 6 to 5 weekly
EMA - reduced from 3 to 2 weekly
STN - reduced from 14 weekly to 10 weekly
BGY - reduced from 7 weekly to 4 weekly
RYG - reduced from 7 weekly to 4 weekly
NYO - reduced from 7 weekly to 3 weekly

blueplatinum
29th Jan 2012, 15:15
You know that incredibly annoying challenge in the FR booking page where you have to read horribly distorted letters and type them back in ? Well recently I have seen another web site that has a much better alternative. They ask a multiple choice question, you click the radio button next to the correct answer and you can proceed. e.g.

Q. What is two plus four ?
- LONDON
- YELLOW
- SIX
- FANTASY

or

Q. What is the capital of France ?
- THIRTEEN
- DESIRE
- GREEN
- PARIS

I know it is not quite as secure but it is a lot easier for the user, especially when the booking system often insists on challenging multiple times. I wish Ryanair would give this a trial as replacement for the existing horrible system.

davidjohnson6
29th Jan 2012, 17:15
blueplatinum - the approach you suggest is helpful to those who wish to use a website, but is not that great at preventing automated screen-scrapers.

There are only so many questions that have an answer known to 95% of the population - maybe a website has a store of 1,000 questions which are asked at random. Of course, the screenscraper can store the answer to each of these questions when newly encountered, and then automatically respond when they are seen again in the future. The effect is that screen scrapers have a temporary inconvenience, while people have a long term inconvenience.

The advantage of Captcha, is that one can automatically generate millions of questions, making it impossible to store the correct answer for future retrieval - only a human can correctly answer the questions on a reliable basis, thus fulfilling the aim of Captcha - Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart

The whole issue comes fundamentally down to a few questions
1 - How transparent does Ryanair want be in its pricing ?
2 - How easy or difficult does Ryanair want to make price comparisons against other airlines ?
3 - Has the "Ryanair are the low fares airline" perception been sufficiently installed into consumers' minds that there is less need to constantly justify it ?
4 - How much is saved in website running costs by blocking screen scrapers ?
5 - If screen scrapers are allowed, is there any effective way to enforce that bookings be made only via the FR website, so permitting the sale of ancillaries ?

Ironside0
29th Jan 2012, 19:26
Apologies if i missed this somewhere,just tried to book flights from EMA to Nantes and seems the route is no longer available,anyone any idea if this is seasonal or more likely a permanent route dropped?
Have been using this route for a number of years and allways seems very full,if fact there dont seem to be any Ryanair flights from the UK to Nantes anymore?

Regards

Dave

j636
29th Jan 2012, 20:38
Ryanair Plans Buybacks, Dividends in 2013, Sunday Times Says - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-29/ryanair-plans-buybacks-dividends-in-2013-sunday-times-says.html)

davidjohnson6
29th Jan 2012, 21:24
j636 - if Ryanair has now become a large stable company that is no longer in a fast growth phase - I hesitate to use the word 'mature' :-) - and is now paying dividends, does that mean MOL will finally step aside following his oft-repeated promise to retire and leave the suits with MBAs to run the company ?

anna_list
30th Jan 2012, 06:59
Q3 results - summary:

Q3 profit of €15M, compared to loss of €10M for the same period last year
First Q3 profit since 2007/8 (up until that point the quarter had always been profitable)
Average fares up 17%
Full year FY2012 guidance raised from €440M to €480M, although this would still mean that they expect to lose up to €80M in the final quarter
1 more base for summer 2012 to be announced shortly
Fuel bill for FY2013 to rise by €350m compared to this year - "a significant cost challenge for next year."

3rd Quarter Results - London Stock Exchange (http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail.html?announcementId=11099364)

Bearcat
30th Jan 2012, 07:09
Markets will like this......I hear they are still taking deliveries from Boeing.

FA10
30th Jan 2012, 08:30
anna_list wrote:

1 more base for summer 2012 to be announced shortly

let´s start the guessing game - my bet is on Treviso. With the renewed runway and CAT II (III?) coming up they have done a lot of their homework!

EI-BUD
30th Jan 2012, 09:23
let´s start the guessing game

Would expect continental Europe rather than Ireland/UK.

MOL going to BCN today to work out discuss how it can provide extra capacity, new routes or increased frequency in light of JK collapse.

Are there any cities in Spain where Spain had significant operations that would warrant a base, but where FR dont already have one?
EI-BUD

sunday8pm
30th Jan 2012, 09:35
Could possibly be BIO? Don't think Ryanair fly there, although Easy already do BIO-STN and others. Granted Spanair didn't use it though.

peppo_8787
30th Jan 2012, 10:16
The new base should be Warsaw-Modlin, No?

befree
30th Jan 2012, 11:08
# Full year FY2012 guidance raised from €440M to €480M, although this would still mean that they expect to lose up to €80M in the final quarter
# 1 more base for summer 2012 to be announced shortly
# Fuel bill for FY2013 to rise by €350m compared to this year - "a significant cost challenge for next year."

3/4 of the profits next year would be wiped out by rising fuel bill if nothing changed. The response will have to be higher fares and more planes rested each winter. Ryanair is not on good ground when it has to hike its fares. Not only has 99p flights gone - we will soon lose most of the below costs offers.

pee
30th Jan 2012, 12:13
Ryanair is not on good ground when it has to hike its fares.
That's right. The question is: what has been done to convince customers to accept the (unavoidable) fare rises? When actually the Development Phase Two (shaping the customer friendlier airline) will start?

As very few here speak Finnish, I'll not bother to quote any local opinions, but the latest FR policy changes (including this unfortunate Captcha thing) did not add Ryanair any friends among the Finnish customers. The same mulish attitudes of FR bosses are even more pronounced nowadays and fares are rising at the same time. Not a very good sign.

There are still good opportunities around (like Spanair's collapse for example) that will allow MOL to continue in the old bullheaded style, but he should at least try to change some of his typical attitudes early enough to stay competitive in the future.does that mean MOL will finally step aside following his oft-repeated promise to retire and leave the suits with MBAs to run the company?
I think Ryanair still need MOL. He however could get somebody to help change Ryanair's public image, for his company's sake.

j636
30th Jan 2012, 13:04
New 2 daily flights from BCN and MAD to Asturais starting April, replace Spanair

racedo
30th Jan 2012, 19:14
3/4 of the profits next year would be wiped out by rising fuel bill if nothing changed. The response will have to be higher fares and more planes rested each winter. Ryanair is not on good ground when it has to hike its fares. Not only has 99p flights gone - we will soon lose most of the below costs offers.

Is that it ? :rolleyes:

Seriously ? :rolleyes:

Every time FR announce results you come suggesting that the sky is falling in and if nothing changed they would be bust.......

Funny thing is that things change every day for every business and the businesses that react best survive..................

I'm tempted to repost one of your warnings from a couple of years ago but this is not the humour forum.

jabird
30th Jan 2012, 20:00
17% rise in fares from one year to the next is a massive change, well above inflation.

However, I don't think this puts Ryanair 'in a bad place' - I presume with more a/c rested, the bottomed out yields have been removed, so the average goes up - and there has to be some accounting for fuel costs.

As for BIO? I just can't see that ar the next Rynairport - is it not more in the Taj Mahal category (with wings) - yes, Easy have tapped the market a bit for architectural tourism, but would local managament yield to MOL's demands?

befree
31st Jan 2012, 09:25
Hi Racedo,

I do not claim the sky is falling in but point to the end of the good times for ryanair. For a firm with so much cash any fall will be very slow but like any giant the fall will come. The start is the firm going ex-growth.

The price of jet fuel means the 99p offers have gone. Also Boeing will not now sell FR planes so far below cost that they can be sold 2nd hand at a profit.

Also for pax cash is tight and weekend breaks are the first thing to go.

Ryanair are still going to be here in 4 years time - it is just they are going to be in decline.

pee
31st Jan 2012, 11:12
The flights from EDI to Berlin disappearing in May have found their new destination. It's Szczecin in Poland, not so far away. However only Tue and Sat flights arrive in SZZ. Thu flights' destination still unaccounted for.

Seljuk22
31st Jan 2012, 14:38
Palma will get a 5th aircraft and 4 additional routes: Malmo, Oporto, Roma, Smaland
Ryanair anuncia el quinto avion y 4 nuevas rutas en su base de? (http://www.ryanair.com/es/novedades/ryanair-anuncia-el-quinto-avion-y-4-nuevas-rutas-en-su-base-de-palma-de-mallorca)

lexoncd
31st Jan 2012, 15:01
MOL states he is in discussions with Chinese and Russian aircraft manufacturers. If you google the Panorama report on Ryanair you will see a dismissive comment from the boss of Airbus, John Leahy where he gives his thoughts on dealings with Ryanair. Clearly they dont take negotiations too seriously believeing in my opinion that talks are just to get the Boeing price down. Boeing as widely reported believe MOL got a never to be repeated deal and it is alleged he stated he had raped Boeing over the deal to buy 737's so I think they will take a tougher line.

Like any good negotiator and he is without doubt in a class of his own he will seek to create competition in the form of new entrants. Now it could be argued if you are a launch customer you will get a great deal but on a new aircraft with a manufacturer having to establish the support functions necessary in the timescale available i think not. Likewise who would take the aircraft after Ryanair and what will happen to their values.

It will suit MOL not to expand in the current marketplace and look to drop low yielding routes but in time he will need new aircraft.... Going to be fun watching this one run.

I reckon he will do a deal with Boeing on a new design 797 stating We will be the first operator of a new Boeing aircraft bla bla bla

scotsunflyer
31st Jan 2012, 15:20
The flights from EDI to Berlin disappearing in May have found their new destination. It's Szczecin in Poland, not so far away. However only Tue and Sat flights arrive in SZZ. Thu flights' destination still unaccounted for

There was already room in the schedule on a Tuesday and Saturday pm for Szzzecin, as only the Tue and Thu flight were operated by EDI based aircraft. The Saturday flight was a non based aircraft

There are quite a few gaps where additional flights could be added, possibly 3 new routes per week

Tue/Thu - to replace SXF
Tue/Thu/Sun
Thu/Sun

There is also enough room to add another Canary Island flight on a Wednesday morning

CCFAIRPORT
31st Jan 2012, 15:36
NEW ROUTES

Edinburgh to Malmö
Edinburgh to Murcia
Bologna to Poznan

racedo
31st Jan 2012, 15:40
I do not claim the sky is falling in but point to the end of the good times for ryanair. For a firm with so much cash any fall will be very slow but like any giant the fall will come. The start is the firm going ex-growth.

Ex Growth making half a billion a year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Distributing a couple of hundred million a year to shareholder in next 2 years.

:D Humourous post of the year.

The price of jet fuel means the 99p offers have gone. Also Boeing will not now sell FR planes so far below cost that they can be sold 2nd hand at a profit.

Also for pax cash is tight and weekend breaks are the first thing to go.

Ryanair are still going to be here in 4 years time - it is just they are going to be in decline.

99p had nothing to do with the cost of jet fuel.

99p fares were about creating demand on routes and gaining maximum publicity for little outlay.

Your mantra of decline has been shown to be laughable every quarter.

Boeing never sold aircraft at a loss, they been in business long enough not to need to and the suggestion that they will never cut prices for a big order is laughable as they do it every month.

racedo
31st Jan 2012, 15:44
\if you google the Panorama report on Ryanair you will see a dismissive comment from the boss of Airbus, John Leahy where he gives his thoughts on dealings with Ryanair. Clearly they dont take negotiations too seriously believeing in my opinion that talks are just to get the Boeing price down. Boeing as widely reported believe MOL got a never to be repeated deal and it is alleged he stated he had raped Boeing over the deal to buy 737's so I think they will take a tougher line.

Stop confusing rhetoric to a crap 2009 program with business reality.....

Airbus will do a deal with anybody to beat Boeing.

Like any good negotiator and he is without doubt in a class of his own he will seek to create competition in the form of new entrants. Now it could be argued if you are a launch customer you will get a great deal but on a new aircraft with a manufacturer having to establish the support functions necessary in the timescale available i think not. Likewise who would take the aircraft after Ryanair and what will happen to their values.

It will suit MOL not to expand in the current marketplace and look to drop low yielding routes but in time he will need new aircraft.... Going to be fun watching this one run.

I reckon he will do a deal with Boeing on a new design 797 stating We will be the first operator of a new Boeing aircraft bla bla bla

Stop confusing Ryanair with Michael O'Leary as they are different.

EI-A330-300
31st Jan 2012, 16:22
Ryanair may cut further capacity here as profits rise - The Irish Times - Tue, Jan 31, 2012 (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0131/1224311000797.html#.Tye4mggvPJ0.twitter)

mickyman
31st Jan 2012, 16:36
befree

'For a firm with so much cash'

Just how did they manage THAT then ?

Are you the Ryanair Troll in waiting ?
I think we should be told !!

MM

Fly380
31st Jan 2012, 18:16
'Edinburgh to Malmö CCFAIRPORT WROTE
Edinburgh to Murcia
Bologna to Poznan'

This is a rumour network right?

http://www.simplynetworking.es/news_fur ... &top_id=31

Well MOL has fallen out with Alicante and Murcia Corvera is likely to be a White Elephant so maybe he may have done a deal at MJV:E

wowzz
31st Jan 2012, 21:02
MOL cannot do a deal with MJV as it is being shut later this year, to be replaced by Corvera, which will be run by AENA [who, as you know, also run ALC]. In this part of SE Spain, MOL does not have much room to negotiate, as all the airports of note are run by AENA

pottwiddler
31st Jan 2012, 21:42
Some free advertising for Ryanair...

Everton pitch invader handcuffs himself to goalpost in protest against discount airline | Dirty Tackle - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/everton-pitch-invader-handcuffs-himself-goalpost-protest-against-212407197.html)

EI-BUD
31st Jan 2012, 22:49
In this part of SE Spain, MOL does not have much room to negotiate, as all the airports of note are run by AENA

wowzz, now this is a bit of a flawed theory, it would seem that each airport are quite autonomous, e.g. Girona and Barcelona El Prat. It did seem that FR playing 2 aena airports off against one another, true or not true?

Furthermore, what is the latest on FR at ALC for summer 2012? What level of reduction will actually transpire, it would seem that the base is super profitable in peak season (strong loads, good frequency and what would seem to be high fares), so despite challenges around using jetties etc, it would seem that ALC is a compelling case in terms of profit. If FR is significantly down on last year at ALC, the impact on passenger numbers will be interesting. Based on the performace of 2012 summer, it will be interesting to see exactly what level of 'room to negotiate that FR will have'.

EI-BUD

wowzz
1st Feb 2012, 12:37
Fair point EI-BUD.
I seem to recollect that the latest passenger figures for ALC were quite robust, compared to the same period last year, despite a reduction in FR flights to the UK. The other loco operators to the UK seem to be picking up much of the spare capacity created by the withdrawal of some FR schedules.

DublinPole
1st Feb 2012, 13:09
Modlin may not be a base for Ryanair now, they're still taking terms according to an article on anna.aero but it doesn't look too hopeful as the cost base is still far to high.

MOL it seems is still confident about running flights there and there will be something to announce soon, but it seems that it will just be flights from other bases apart from a base itself.

j636
1st Feb 2012, 13:56
Ryanair have added extra flights to PMI besided the new routes. DUB goes from 6 to 8 weekly, There is more others to.

peppo_8787
1st Feb 2012, 15:50
New route: Trapani-Leipzig from 11 May. Flights monday and friday!

alexccfairport
2nd Feb 2012, 14:33
NEW

Milan Bergamo to Perugia

RESTARTED

Oslo Rygge to La Rochelle

peppo_8787
3rd Feb 2012, 12:29
New base in Budapest. Basic open next February 17. 4 a / c based and 31 new routes.
Spain: Alicante, Barcelona (El Prat), Malaga, Madrid and Palma.

Germany: Karlsruhe / Baden Baden, Lübeck, Memmingen.

UK: Bristol (previously announced), Birmingham (already announced), Manchester, Stansted (previously announced).

Italy: Bergamo, Treviso, Bologna (already announced), Pisa, Rome Ciampino and Trapani.

Sweden: Gothenburg / saeve, Nykoping / Skavsta.

France: Beauvais.

Poland: Krakow, Warsaw / Modlin.

Norway: Gardermoen / Moss.

Netherlands: Eindhoven.

Belgium: Charleroi.

Ireland: Dublin (previously announced).

Greece: Chania, Rhodes and Thessaloniki.

Cyprus: Paphos.

pee
3rd Feb 2012, 12:31
Well indeed. What a swift reaction. Or a coincidence?

NorthernCounties
3rd Feb 2012, 12:39
So can I take it that FR are now the national carrier of Hungary?

They get a lot of stick, but I'm sure the Hungarian Government and Budapest Airport are very happy to have them step in so quickly. I bet they got a very nice deal indeed. :ok:

Telstar
3rd Feb 2012, 12:44
Many of those routes are from existing bases. I wonder will the aircraft actually be in place by that date or will they all launch as W routes through Budapest?

Clearly they were planning and expecting Malevs demise for a long time and had the ultimate leverage when Budapest lost nearly 40% of their regular traffic.

DublinPole
3rd Feb 2012, 12:45
Big blow to Wizzair?

Also suggests that Modlin is going to be served by Ryanair after all, any ideas if it will be a base?

pee
3rd Feb 2012, 12:46
MOL has always been an opportunist. But I have to admit, that's done in great style. Fortunately for him it happened just now when so many aircraft are free to be utilised right away.

pee
3rd Feb 2012, 13:53
Ryanair currently employ over 700 Hungarian pilots and cabin crew. There will be a recruitment day in Budapest on 7 February, inviting job applications from Malev pilots, cabin crew and engineers to help Ryanair to gear up for this new base at Budapest Airport.

This investment – the largest ever in Hungarian aviation and tourism – is subject to reaching final agreement on costs, facilities and handling with Budapest Airport today.

Michael Cawley, Ryanair’s Deputy CEO, has travelled to Budapest to finalise these negociations with Budapest Airport and the Hungarian Government.

(insideireland.ie (http://insideireland.ie/2012/02/03/ryanair-launching-rescue-plan-for-budapest-and-hungarian-tourism-53760/))
Interesting. It's still subject to reaching final agreement. What if not signed?

Cyrano
3rd Feb 2012, 14:34
Interesting. It's still subject to reaching final agreement. What if not signed?

Michael Cawley, Ryanair’s Deputy CEO, has travelled to Budapest to finalise these negociations with Budapest Airport and the Hungarian Government.

"How are ye, Viktor? Thanks for seeing me today. Sad business, this Malév thing, isn't it?

Right, down to business. Listen, I'll make this simple. Here's the deal we want to operate out of Budapest. Either you sign on the dotted line here or I go out there and tell the press that we're cancelling the recruitment day next week because your Government are not interested in saving any jobs. Which will it be, Viktor?

No, that's fine, take your time, have a think about it, I'll wait... Oh, by the way, what's this I was reading in the paper this morning about your government's approval rating? Sorry to hear that, mate, it's terrible when people don't like you, or so I hear anyway...

Anyway, as I say, take your time, have a think... what's that? You've made your mind up? Good man! Sign here... and here. Pleasure doing business with you! Szia!"

Seljuk22
3rd Feb 2012, 15:22
Modlin will open in July (W6 starts flights from 18th July).
FR will start BUD-Modlin in July, too. I think we can expect more FR flights out of Modlin in July. Adria is also in financial troubles. LJU could be the next base for FR (1 or 2 based a/c).

More flights/destinations/aircrafts for BCN, GRO or REU due to the Spanair collapse? Many airlines (LH, SN, AB, FR, W6) announced new flights to BUD but last week just Vueling announced new flights from BCN (FR and EZY just 1 or 2 new routes).
Confusing cause Spanair (Spain) was much bigger (important) than Malev (Hungary).

Charlie Roy
3rd Feb 2012, 16:16
Big blow to Wizzair?

Wizzair are also adding 2 aircraft to Budapest (from March).
Bloodbath! "Flag carriers" also announcing increases at Budapest. For example Brussels Airlines will go from 2 daily to 3 daily on BRU-BUD, and with bigger aircraft, and already within the next 2 weeks like Ryanair.

Wizz Air (http://wizzair.com/about_us/news/?language=EN#wizen100)

DublinPole
3rd Feb 2012, 16:22
Modlin will open in July (W6 starts flights from 18th July).
FR will start BUD-Modlin in July, too. I think we can expect more FR flights out of Modlin in July. Adria is also in financial troubles. LJU could be the next base for FR (1 or 2 based a/c).
Still not showing up on Ryanair website and Modlin airport are not announcing anything about such flight although Krakow have confirmed they will get the Budapest flight.

With Wizzair being based in Hungary and Budapest in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they have thrown a spanner in the works for that route, Chopin Airport (WAW) has now been added to the Ryanair Route map and the destinations list and even shows a route between Budapest and there.

Hope that is not the case though as if one airline is calling the shots at Modlin it's bad for everyone.

DublinPole
3rd Feb 2012, 16:40
FR14P left Budapest at around 17:30 - I would assume that is the flight that the Deputy CEO was on, and it was a special charter?

Still no official confirmation that a deal has been reached so I assume that it was not?

racedo
3rd Feb 2012, 18:15
Ryanair to Open Budapest Base in Two Weeks With 31 New Routes, 2M? (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-to-open-budapest-base-in-two-weeks-with-31-new-routes)

racedo
3rd Feb 2012, 18:17
Ryanair's January Traffic Down 6% (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-s-january-traffic-down-6-percent)

Traffic down 6% v 2011.

racedo
3rd Feb 2012, 18:25
Many of those routes are from existing bases. I wonder will the aircraft actually be in place by that date or will they all launch as W routes through Budapest?

Clearly they were planning and expecting Malevs demise for a long time and had the ultimate leverage when Budapest lost nearly 40% of their regular traffic.

I think any business has to spend time looking at the competition and at opportunities that may come along no matter how far fetched.

The sad demise of Malev became pretty certain when the EU indicated that all state aid was to be returned, it comes down to who is willing and prepared to move the quickest, if and when the time came.

Its quite probable that FR and others had already plans drawn up for eventualities like this, that is what a business will do.

In recent weeks the companies trading with Malev became more and more unwilling to offer credit, knowing full well they may never get paid for existing debts. When things like this happen it becomes well known pretty quickly as suppliers talk.

DublinPole
3rd Feb 2012, 19:28
Still no confirmation on if these routes will actually run?

racedo
3rd Feb 2012, 19:43
Still no confirmation on if these routes will actually run?

Publicly announced on Website which means also announced to stock exchange, deal done its just some of the finer details need ironing out.

FR can bring to BUD quickly a number of aircraft which others not able to which will be what airport and Govt will want.

PPRuNeUser0176
3rd Feb 2012, 21:09
Palemo to MAD (4 April) and DUB (5 April)

eu01
4th Feb 2012, 16:44
MDI (Warsaw Modlin)

Following the recent announcement of BUD - MDI route, PAP Press Agency has asked today Modlin Airport spokesperson whether Ryanair's arrival to Modlin has already been confirmed.

The answer: "They can start flying to Modlin, it's possible. Nevertheless, we do not have any individual agreement with Ryanair. For the time being, the commencement of such a route would mean Ryanair's acceptance of our terms."

I wouldn't bet on this to happen.

lospilotos
5th Feb 2012, 09:30
Looks like some Ryanair pilots are fed up with the constant humilation by the management: Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=svt.se%2F2.22620%2F1.2699932%2Fryanairs_piloter_varnar_for _flygsakerheten)

The translation is not perfect. Supposedly this was on the TV news in Sweden as well, but I have not been able to see that.

captplaystation
5th Feb 2012, 09:49
"Ryanair pilots fed up". . . . . . .

I doubt if that is either a "rumour" or "news" :rolleyes:

thehighlander959
5th Feb 2012, 09:58
Do people know how really fed up we SLF feel about Ryanair. I flew them once from Prestwick to Stansted a long time ago, I swore never again and have been true to my word.
Cheap as chips,horrible service on a par with Easyjet. You get what you pay for. I voted with my feet am not sure why others don,t.

lospilotos
5th Feb 2012, 10:17
Cpt PS: True, I guess the news part is that fact that the pilots are starting to do something about the poor and dangerous conditions. Would probably not have happened without the increasing support by IALPA, BALPA and ECA.

2EggOmelette
5th Feb 2012, 10:52
Can sure see why they may be fed up, but as for voting with my feet...........
Well, I have flown with them a number of times now, and i gotta say, dam nice flights, great landings as well. The company may be dubious, but the crews are pretty dam good.

BN2A
5th Feb 2012, 10:55
Amazing how the landing is a benchmark for everything that makes any flight safe and comfortable in the eyes of the public!!

:hmm:

2EggOmelette
5th Feb 2012, 11:11
Hahaha, yeah, your not wrong mate. But its the way it is. Been trough some shockers. Done some shockers. But those crews are alright. I have never had cause to complain about their flying. Well done you lot, you know who you are.

VeroFlyer
5th Feb 2012, 11:41
The one and only Ryanair flight I ever took I was filled with so much confidence when one of the Flight Attendants (who was Eastern European), picked up the PA to make an announcement and then proceeded to say "now how do i turn this thing off?" over the PA, while the senior F/A ran to the front of the aircraft to stop him making anymore of a fool of himself....mmmm safe!!

racedo
5th Feb 2012, 14:27
Do people know how really fed up we SLF feel about Ryanair. I flew them once from Prestwick to Stansted a long time ago, I swore never again and have been true to my word.

Do hope your first coming of age was really good...................:rolleyes:

edi_local
5th Feb 2012, 15:20
Cheap as chips,horrible service on a par with Easyjet. You get what you pay for. I voted with my feet am not sure why others don,t.

Because they don't want to? A lot of people are perfectly happy with Ryanair and what they offer.

I've flown with FR countless times and continue to do so. They are, as you say, cheap as chips. If I want to get to a place where they fly then I will chose them. Play by their rules and you're in for a very cheap and perfectly good flight. Check in online, turn up on time, bring one item of hand luggage (like you agree to do in your booking process) and you're fine. No hassle at all. I must also say that their on board prices are cheaper than a lot of airport departure lounges too, especially in the UK.

I would hardly say you are in a position to criticse them if you've only flown on them once. That's like me saying I'll never fly Lufthansa again as the only time I've ever flown with them, they lost my baggage on my outward trip and re routed me through LHR on my return, getting me home over 5 hours late (instead of FRA-EDI direct). My single worst flying experience to date. I may have had that one bad experience with LH, but I continue to include them in my travel planning and when they offer me the best option I will gladly give them my money again, as many millions do with FR.

pwalhx
5th Feb 2012, 15:43
You get what you pay for is correct, one would suggest therefore you expected more. If you got what you paid for please enlighten us what else you expected.

caja
5th Feb 2012, 15:47
The IATA code of Warsow Modlin is WMI and not MDI.

Aero Mad
5th Feb 2012, 16:38
The IATA code of Warsow Modlin is WMI and not MDI.

And capital city of Poland is Warsaw... if you're going to correct people then get your spelling right!

eu01
5th Feb 2012, 17:41
Right, WMI. Trying to use the newest codes I can no more rely on my memory, apparently. :{

Now to Prague. Just a few quotations from yet another interview with MOL published by Czech journal today:

Will Ryanair return to Prague?
- "I cough(?) on Prague. People and maybe the government would want us in Prague, but the latter invalidates this by charging extra high airport charges."

Your stand on carbon emissions tax?
- "Europe has now to compete with Asia, America and Latin America but at the same time imposes new taxes on air travel. We look like idiots who tax themselves thus making our economies less competitive." "We Irish do care for the environment, but indeed my herd of cows produce more greenhouse gases than the entire Ryanair fleet altogether."

Obviously, you don't want to tax these cow emissions either?
- "Actually, I wonder why some idiots in Brussels didn't attempt to introduce it. In contrary, in Europe even the richest farmers, like myself, receive subsidies, and that influences the food prices for all European citizens. These grants belong to the most stupid tools man invented on Earth ever. "

paparomeodelta
6th Feb 2012, 03:46
More whistleblowers after Turkish Airlines, now pilots working for Ryanair in interview with swedish television, SVT, swedish equivalent to BBC, here quoted in newspaper "Aftonbladet":

Ryanair-pilot: (http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article14321467.ab)

(Google translation)

"The worst can happen"
Ryanair pilots warns that their harsh working conditions can be a hazard to flight safety.
It says SVT's Rapport.
One of the two anonymous Ryanair pilots Report talked to said the company sometimes makes unreasonable demands that do not look for safety first and this could lead to incidents and even accidents.
He says the pilots pressed more and more and that it increases the risks.
Pressed on the job
Insiders in Ryanair's business, in interview say that pilots are increasing pressure from their work, where you have to deliver under the contract, be flexible and ready to movements and changes, to be borne by some peripheral and not violate any of all the clauses, because then it becomes a breach of contract.
Pilot: "The worst can happen"
The co-pilot says in interview that the passenger will most likely be intact, but it's a downward spiral:
- If I had to have surgery then I will of course know that the surgeon is well rested, healthy, not afraid to call in sick - we want them flying with Ryanair know they are located at where the light do not always fulfill the requirements. The worst can happen.
Ryanair: "false accusations"
It irlänska Ryanair communications Stephen McNamara said in a written comment to the report that the accusations are false. He admits to question the sick, but says that most companies are following suit.
The Swedish pilot union has no collective bargaining agreement with either Ryanair or British brokerage company that the pilots are employed by.

paparomeodelta
6th Feb 2012, 03:54
More on the same from the TV interview (Google translation):

According to the union is about 75 percent of the pilots contract employees of Brookfield Aviation International, which mediates the pilots for the company. Ryanair argues that these are less than half.
Swedish pilot union chairman Gunnar Mandahl says that contract employees pilots have not been part of the same security systems that direct employees - increasing the pressure on pilots and can lead to poor air safety.
- In this profession, I see it as extra bad because it puts undue pressure on the individual in some cases may be unsound in terms of safety. It can also be about the weather, cargo, technical problems on the aircraft. It's never popular to make a machine with 200 passengers to sit somewhere and let the airline pay for hotels, delay money, etc., says Gunnar Mandahl to report.

pee
6th Feb 2012, 11:27
It's an official news in Finnish media right now. Flying Ryanair is unsafe. It sounds a bit unfair, said somewhat provocatively and generalising, but that's what Sami Simonen, the chairman of Finnish Pilots' Association, said to Finnish MTV3 television (http://www.mtv3.fi/uutiset/kotimaa.shtml/2012/02/1490018/suomen-lentajaliitto-ryanairilla-lentaminen-ei-ole-turvallista) today. Why is it so? "For Ryanair, every employee is too expensive. When the pilot cannot afford to take a sick leave in spite of otitis or other disease, it's dangerous. It's an unsafe airline", Simonen says.

In Simonen's view many other low cost carriers tend to be unsafe as well, precisely for the same reasons. Due to this, FPA monitors several lcc's, also Norwegian is one of them.

PS. And indeed, in the years to come, Norwegian will be even more "dangerous" to domestic airline(s) in this country than Ryanair, fading out somehow.

racedo
6th Feb 2012, 17:51
Perhaps Finish pilot should look at close to home before he starts chucking dirt around.............

Incident: Finnair A343 at Hong Kong on Nov 27th 2010, rejected takeoff from taxiway (http://www.avherald.com/h?article=433ef2d6/0001&opt=0)
Crew losing situational awareness

Report: Finnair A320 at Helsinki on May 21st 2010, human slip leads to stall on final approach (http://www.avherald.com/h?article=433ed1f5&opt=0)
the first officer selected flaps up when the captain commanded full flaps.

A contributing factors was, that the entire flight was routine in good conditions reducing the alertness of the first officer and causing lack of concentration.

Incident: Finnair E190 at Oslo on Oct 23rd 2010, struck runway edge lights during takeoff (http://www.avherald.com/h?article=433013ef&opt=0)

Wanting to bring the airport lights with the aircraft.

FR8364
6th Feb 2012, 17:58
Ryanair will announced tomorrow flights to/from Bilbao Airport (Spain). MOL will travel from DUB to BIO in a charter. This maybe means that the supouses flights to Victoria are NOT going be.

Regards

BigFrank
6th Feb 2012, 21:55
"....flights to/from Bilbao Airport (Spain). "

¿ Reassuring to know the chap/ess at the pointy end knows which country s/he is aiming at ?

¿ But does s/he know which town ?

It took the boys and the girls from this airline a long time to discover that Girona is about 100km north of BCN whilst Reus is roughly the same distance south. Indeed they still seem pretty confused about it. IMO.

(South is down the way on the map or further on if you are flying from Dublin, for example.) "Just so there is no misunderstanding."

sunday8pm
7th Feb 2012, 08:21
I appear to have a working crystal ball! Now for the lottery numbers..

ssflyer
7th Feb 2012, 09:19
As regular posters will know already, you can now reserve seats on FR flights at a cost of £5 per sector (on top of the £5 PB cost) which brings them into line with many other carriers.
Only the front rows and the two wing exit rows are available for reservation on the seat map and your confirmation includes the seat numbers. Does any one know how the FA's are going to handle this for boarding- I presume the only way to manage this will be by putting "reserved" on the seats?
(Although I posted a similar question on another site I am hoping to get sensible answers here)

DublinPole
7th Feb 2012, 09:26
People with reserved seat board with priority boarding
All emergency exit seats have reserved sticker on them
If there is a full flight, but not all the reserved seats have been reserved, they will only be released when all other seats are taken.

In other news rumors doing the rounds that MOL will be holding a press conference in Warsaw on Wednesday.

wowzz
7th Feb 2012, 10:25
And as has been discussed in the slf forum, if the flight is not full, and no-one has purchased the exit seats, the exit seats remain empty the entire flight.
It appears that this is legal, but what would happen if an emergency over-wing evacuation is requred is not clear [to say the least].

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Feb 2012, 10:28
BCN base goes from 10 to 13 aircraft and 6 new routes to Alicante, Bilbao, Stockholm, Hamburg and Munich (Memmingen), Menorca and will increase frequencies on six routes: Gran Canaria (frequencies from six to nine), Ibiza (14 to 21), Malaga (21 to 28), Palma (from 21 to 35), Sevilla (21 to 28) and Tenerife (six to eight).

Ryanair abre seis nuevas rutas y basará 13 aviones en El Prat (http://www.europapress.es/catalunya/noticia-ryanair-abre-seis-nuevas-rutas-basara-13-aviones-prat-20120207093332.html)

DublinPole
7th Feb 2012, 10:59
Press conference in Warsaw 11.30 Wednesday to announce the first flights to Warsaw Modlin subject to other parties not changing their mind.

It will be streamed live on Tanie przeloty, linie lotnicze, promocje | Loter.pl (http://www.loter.pl/) it's not expected to be a base as Wizzair have set up a base there which apparently has created a few issues.

sunday8pm
7th Feb 2012, 11:22
Do people think it possible that Ryanair will start flying to Turkey soon? Would compete from the UK/Germany with ThomasCook and TUI, probably forcing them into further trouble.

j636
7th Feb 2012, 13:10
As far as I know FR can only operate from Ireland to Turkey at the minute.

JSCL
7th Feb 2012, 13:15
j636, correct.

Also, the key to FR's model and the general loco model is maximum utilisation as we all know. Turkey and back is taking a good ~10-12hrs out of the operating day. That's not the type of sectors FR want to be operating. They may try and get rights from other EU bases, but I doubt it.

sunday8pm
7th Feb 2012, 13:32
Ryanair's rise to prominence has been spectacular over the last decade and I'm interested to see where the business will go from here.

My thinking was that they operate to Cyprus and Greece already and there would surely be passengers and business to be had on routes to Turkey, from German bases in particular.

Granted it would put the cat among the Air Berlin, Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines pigeons but since when have Ryanair worried about being aggressive? Plenty of spare planes that won't fly themselves.

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Feb 2012, 13:35
Bilbao to BCN and MAD announced and if taks go well in March routes to the UK, Ireland and the Canaries which could be announced.

j636
7th Feb 2012, 15:44
MOL had to be escorted by police to an aircraft at Bilbao after he angered former Spanair employees. The press conferance didn't go to well either.

Ryanair offered Spanair workers employment but they didn't take to it very well. THey didn't want to pay there taxes in Ireland and they would have to open an account in Gibraltar to collect their wages and to make things worse he thanked the spanair workers for causing problems as it got Ryanair more PR.

RAT 5
7th Feb 2012, 16:38
Curious: RYR jumps into Malev's home base and now seems to be rushing to fill the Spanair vacuum. Nothing happened when Sky Europe went bust in Bratislava. Why?

eu01
7th Feb 2012, 17:32
Curious: RYR jumps into Malev's home base and now seems to be rushing to fill the Spanair vacuum. Nothing happened when Sky Europe went bust in Bratislava. Why?
A very, VERY good question. Bratislava is a capital city of Slovakia, its Stefanik airport located approx. 10 km from the Austrian border and Vienna, another capital city, is so close!!! BTS used to be my favourite bet of all times for an extraordinary FR base. I visited this place in 2010. Big empty airport in the middle of Europe, ideal for... well, even for a true hub, if ever Ryanair wanted to try connecting flights, virtually no competitors there...

No, I really do not understand why nothing happened.

Jamie2k9
7th Feb 2012, 17:57
Madrid will also get 100 extra weekly flights mainly to PMI,LPA,FUE,ACE,TFS and Mahon added.

davidjohnson6
7th Feb 2012, 18:00
I thought Ryanair is now the dominant carrier at Bratislava

Telstar
7th Feb 2012, 18:28
No, I really do not understand why nothing happened.

They wanted a very big slab of money, I mean a "cost reduction" to fly in there and the government said no.

Ryanair demands cost reductions from Bratislava Airport - corrected - The Slovak Spectator (http://spectator.sme.sk/articles/view/37005/10/ryanair_demands_cost_reductions_from_bratislava_airport_corr ected.html)

eu01
7th Feb 2012, 19:02
FR are selling flights from BUD while the terms are not yet agreed with the airport. Learn from FT.com (Ryanair vs Budapest: playing dirty? (http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2012/02/07/ryanair-vs-budapest-playing-dirty/))

DublinPole
7th Feb 2012, 19:19
There appears to be two strange situations brewing at both Modlin (Warsaw) and Budapest the last few days between Wizzair and Ryanair and this seems to be another aspect of the same situation which is coming to light.

What I think may have happened is that whilst Ryanair were pretty much the first to actually talk about new routes from Budapest last week and seemed pretty sure of getting a deal, they made the mistake of going public before it was sealed and since then Wizzair have been alerted to this, and gone in and done a deal beforehand.

After the collapse of Malev I would say that Budapest are keen to do a deal with Wizz as they are based there and are Hungarian and once such option became available they became less keen on Ryanair, with another tranche of routes launched today by Wizz (see their website), hence why Ryanair are feeling they are getting the cold shoulder.

The next chapter is going to happen on Wednesday when MOL apparently goes to Warsaw in the morning and may be in Hungary later that day, however the bad news for him is they look to have come out of both Budapest and Warsaw very much second best and Wizzair have actually managed to outplay Ryanair on this hand.

I wouldn't call it playing dirty however, I would suspect that both the airports concerned were trying to get the best deal for each other, which is easier when you have two companies wanting to fly there, and two airlines who are scrapping with each other to try and outdo the other one.

One thing is for sure, I think that we are going to have a big face off between Wizz and Ryanair in the coming months as it really is now starting to feel like the beginning of a war.

racedo
7th Feb 2012, 19:19
EU01

Cawley being provocative about Wizz airs future BUT given the ownership connections via TPG does he know something ?

racedo
7th Feb 2012, 19:25
I wouldn't call it playing dirty however, I would suspect that both the airports concerned and the two airlines were just scrapping to try and gain some advantage over the other. One thing is for sure, I think that we are going to have a big face off between Wizz and Ryanair in the coming months as it really is now starting to feel like the beginning of a war.

Thing is that FR has the cash for a war but Wizzair doesn't and will bleed very quickly. Its financial affairs have often been commented on and there are enough reports available which gives the detail.

Wizzair needs to pick its fights that it can win.

DublinPole
7th Feb 2012, 19:28
Wizz (to me at least) is a big mystery financially, they've always claimed that they made a profit and made a bold claim during the time that Sky Europe went bust that they were profitable for several years although 2-3 years ago I vaguely remember reading a few articles saying they had never made a profit and last year also an article saying they were tipped as one of the most likely airlines to go bust.

I don't think they've ever commented on their finances like Ryanair would do, I'm not even sure if they need to publish them in Hungary like they would have to in most countries.

frfly
7th Feb 2012, 19:33
I have a strong suspicion FR may actually purchase W6. A few things within the company showing signs to take a second arcraft type a reality....the business model of W6 is an exact copy of FR.

With Spanair and Malev going there's suddenly more market to be grabbed, and who knows who is next. FR do not have the ability to expand beyond 2012/13 as no A/C will be entering the fleet....a quick purchase of W6 gives an entire market, supply of new aircraft and orders from Airbus. Heavy expansion into Central/Eastern markets aswell as continued expansion in Spain and into the Baltic states...

Just my 2 cents, but think its time to spend some of that stored up cash on turning around W6 and pushing the PAX figures past the 100million mark.

Telstar
7th Feb 2012, 19:34
Surely selling tickets for routes that you are not technically operating, or have in place an agreement to operate is leaving themselves open to hungry lawyers?

j636
7th Feb 2012, 20:13
I can't see a deal being done with BUD..we will see tomorrow but don't think it will happon.

As for Warsaw what routes will FR announce. DUB, STN are certain but where else?

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Feb 2012, 20:38
Ryanair have made it clear to customers about there BUD ops on the Ryanair Hingary website: This is taken from home page.

6 Feb - Budapest Rescue - Update

Ryanair this evening confirmed that it has secured slots for all of its proposed fights from Budapest Airport from 17th Feb next.
Ryanair's €9.99 rescue fares went on sale last Friday in order to minimise the disruption to Hungarian consumers/ visitors arising from the closure of Malev.
However, despite repeated letters and phone calls Ryanair has still not received a reply from Hochtief Budapest Airport to our commercial proposal discussed with senior airport management on Friday afternoon.
A senior Ryanair management team is travelling to Budapest on Tuesday morning to meet with Hochtief Budapest Airport to finalise acceptable commercial terms for Ryanair's largest ever investment in Hungarian tourism. Ryanair will also be meeting with Malev pilots, cabin crew and engineers to invite job applications to help Ryanair crew its four aircraft/31 route Budapest base which is due to commence on Friday 17th Feb.
Ryanair has however warned prospective passengers that if it can not agree terms with Hochtief Budapest Airport tomorrow it may be forced to delay the launch of its Budapest base, delay the rescue of Hungarian consumers/ visitors and delay the recruitment of Hungarian pilots cabin crew and engineers.
Given the speed of Ryanair's emergency response last friday to Malev's closure, the delays by Budapest Airport in responding to Ryanair's proposals is regrettable and concerning. It would be a pity if Budapest Airport's high costs and slow response cause a delay in Ryanair's €300m euro rescue plan for Hungarian traffic, tourism and jobs.
Ryanair management will be happy to brief the press during the course of their visit to Budapest on Tuesday/Wednesday this week.

davidjohnson6
7th Feb 2012, 22:30
A press release is one thing, but if tickets are going on sale, and Ryanair is taking people's money, then a contract is formed which is binding under EU law.
Yes, there is a land grab going on for Budapest, and Ryanair need to move very quickly, but they are also taking a risk with potentially having to refund passengers not just the money they paid, but also, for bookings less than 4 weeks away, a lot more cash as well.

Taking the overall view, I reckon it's worth the short term gamble in return for the potentially long term benefits

johnnychips
7th Feb 2012, 22:35
potentially having to refund passengers not just the money they paid, but also, for bookings less than 4 weeks away, a lot more cash as well.

Pardon my ignorance, DJ6, but does extra compensation have to be paid if a cancellation takes place in this time period?

Charlie Roy
7th Feb 2012, 22:50
One thing is for sure, I think that we are going to have a big face off between Wizz and Ryanair in the coming months as it really is now starting to feel like the beginning of a war.

Yes it is war and Ryanair will win. Malev/Budapest is a watershed in the Ryanair/Wizz co-existence. It has changed everything. Many of Ryanair's Budapest routes will compete directly with Wizz. Take Charleroi for example which will have identical schedules. I imagine last Friday was a very black day at Wizz HQ, and I hope now they are on full red alert and planning evasive maneuvers. They will lose any battle with Ryanair.

Jamie2k9
7th Feb 2012, 22:55
I think Ryanair and BUD will agree something but BUD will be calling the shots as they don't seem to intrested in dealing with Ryanair at the minute. If Ryanair want to operate from BUD and compete with Wizz Air then it will cost them to do so.

DublinPole
8th Feb 2012, 09:08
Budapest Airport have now played down the comments made in the article relating to Ryanair - another twist in this saga.

Budapest Airport CEO Jost Lammers was surprised to learn of the comments attributed to Budapest Airport in the FT article yesterday evening. Therefore he wishes to redress the balance with a formal official statement to avoid any misunderstanding for all stakeholders, especially the passengers and Ryanair.

“Firstly, it is very clear that Ryanair wishes to commence services in the coming days from Budapest Airport. In parallel to this, there have been ongoing discussions between Budapest Airport and Ryanair with a view to discussing the start up of operations and some commercial issues. However, we do not comment on any discussions between the airport and any airline customers without the prior agreement of the customer, in this case Ryanair. Our charges and incentive structure are in the public domain and are available to any eligible airline, including Ryanair and we welcome any new flights they wish to commence now or in the future from Budapest Airport.

Slot co-ordination is not in the competence of Budapest Airport therefore of course we cannot comment regarding who does or does not have a slot. What I can clearly state, is that due to the vacuum left by the collapse Malév last week, we can generally accept all requests when it comes to operational matters. In a crisis situation, we will take whatever action is required to accommodate airlines wishes to fly from Budapest. I would advise passengers that any airline that is on sale including Ryanair, intend to fly until such a time they decide differently.”

Budapest Airport will be issuing a further statement in the next 24 hours to advise passengers as to which airlines have announced services since the collapse of Malév, including details about Ryanair.

BigFrank
8th Feb 2012, 09:15
Does EU law apply to this airline ?

If yes, which elements of EU law are we discussing ?

On contracts of carriage ?
On passenger compensation (under EU261/ 2004)??
On contracts of employment ???
On union rights ????
On unfair subsidies which distort competition ?????

Can anyone cite specific cases which show such laws to have been upheld ?

"I think we should be told"

sunday8pm
8th Feb 2012, 09:20
Retreating back from whence they came. Ryanair win again and Wizz will soon be swallowed up.

smith
8th Feb 2012, 09:32
"leaving themselves open to hungry lawyers?"

Did you mean hungry or Hungary lawyers? :mad:

pee
8th Feb 2012, 10:25
In Wizzair's thread I've given the identical or very similar routes of W6 and FR from Budapest, if the base there is finally created.

Let's look at Ryanair's destinations from Warsaw Modlin that will be announced within hours today.

NYO
CRL
BUD
BGY
STN
Oslo
Rome
DUB.

Only the last one not served by Wizz (and LTN versus STN).
Any further comments?

DublinPole
8th Feb 2012, 11:21
Full announcement:
Ryanair Opens 8 Warsaw Modlin Routes From 16 July 2012 (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-opens-8-warsaw-modlin-routes-from-16-july-2012)

Another dig at Wizzair's finances.

JSCL
8th Feb 2012, 11:24
I think countries and airport need to be more careful in their allowance of FR. Home carriers desperately need to be protected in my opinion. It would be a shame to see LOT or Wizz go. Let's see how it pans out....

Bengt
8th Feb 2012, 11:37
Only the last one not served by Wizz (and LTN versus STN).
Any further comments?
To me it clearly looks as if Ryanair has decided to play the "lowest cost wins" game. They are charging right into the routes operated by Wizzair as well as Vueling. If you look at the announcement (http://www.ryanair.com/es/novedades/ryanair-anuncia-6-nuevas-rutas-desde-barcelona)from yesterday it is totally aimed at Vueling comparing frequency (5 flights a day between Palma and El Prat!) as well as price. ALL the new routes and frequency increases are on routes Vueling is already flying,
If this does succeed it will hurt both Wizzair and Vueling a lot financially.
Also it shows that Ryanair is moving away from creating new traffic where it did not earlier exist and now instead competing on already existing traffic.

PPRuNeUser0176
8th Feb 2012, 12:21
MOL announced today that there will be a second Polosh base lather this year and 3 or 4 in total by end of 2013 and 6 airprots are competing to win the next FR base this summer.

DublinPole
8th Feb 2012, 12:31
Krakow would be what they would be looking at I would suspect. However the big problem there is the international terminal is bursting at the seams in many areas and won't be extended until 2014 at least after numerous delays.

It was crazy enough last year in passport control, security and baggage, and is going to be worse still this year with about 8 new routes from various carriers this summer.

Even now there is a message on their website about delays in the airport because of how busy it is on a Sunday morning and is widely expected to be by far the busiest winter on record.

That leaves us with:
Bydgoszcz - Smallest airport in Poland. very unlikely
Gdańsk - Possible. Sizeable Wizz hub
Katowice - A wizz hub and competes with Krakow, unlikely.
Łódź - Too close to Warsaw I'd say to be a base.
Poznań - Possible - recently overtook Wizzair as biggest carrier.
Rzeszów - A few new flights recently, but can't see it myself.
Szczecin - Can't see it happening.
Warsaw Modlin - I'm sure they'd love one.

j636
8th Feb 2012, 17:40
Looks like a deal done with BUD. They will be operating from T2 and not T1 as planned.

pee
9th Feb 2012, 12:22
BUD is now an official base. New rote: BUD - TMP will start end March on Tue, Thu, Sat.

dublinaviator
9th Feb 2012, 12:56
I see the drama queens over on the airliners.net forum (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5377598/) are up in arms about Ryanair's announcement yesterday of new routes from Bilbao to Madrid and Barcelona.

Ryanair CEO Needs Police Escort After Gloating In Front Of Laid-Off Workers - The Consumerist (http://consumerist.com/2012/02/ryanair-ceo-needs-police-escort-after-gloating-in-front-of-laid-off-workers.html)

Fair play to O'Leary, just like with Malev in BUD, he saw a gap in the market left by Spanair and took an opportunity, and in fairness to Ryanair, other airlines have launched routes from Bilbao too since Spanair's collapse, so its a bit much to accuse them of being insensitive to Spanair workers. If anything, doing nothing would've been a bigger insult, at least Ryanair and other airlines are providing new jobs to Spanish workers who've been left with nothing after Spanair's collapse.

j636
9th Feb 2012, 13:18
Ryanair BUD base will now be 5 not 4 aircraft and as well as the new route said above there will be extra flights.

From 26 March:
Brussels increased from 7 to 13 weekly
Eindhoven increased from 2 to 4 weekly
Gothenburg increased from 2 to 3 weekly
Madrid increased from 4 to 6 weekly
Milan increased from 10 to 11 weekly
Rome increased from 7 to 10 weekly
Stockholm increased from 2 to 4 weekly
Thessaloniki increased from 2 to 3 weekly

Tom the Tenor
9th Feb 2012, 13:27
There is still room there for a two weekly Budapest-Cork if anyone in Ryanair cares to take any notice.

Thanks.

The Hypnoboon
9th Feb 2012, 14:09
And Prestwick! Used it a fair few times and it was always packed!

eu01
9th Feb 2012, 18:25
“Excuse my Hungarian press release: we are a low-cost airline, and we use low-cost translators,” said Michael O’Leary.

O’Leary’s Hungarian press release did not impress the locals, who were clearly hoping his airline service will be of a higher standard.
“It’s not even child-like writing. It’s just bad. It looks like he’s used Google Translate, and not even bothered to get it checked,” said one native Hungarian speaker.

Quoted after Financial Times (http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2012/02/09/budapest-airport-ryanair-pick-up-passengers-but-who-picks-up-the-tab/)

I thought MOL wouldn't like to associate "low cost" with "low quality"?

jabird
9th Feb 2012, 19:33
Surely selling tickets for routes that you are not technically operating, or have in place an agreement to operate is leaving themselves open to hungry lawyers?

Is it not standard practice for any large outdoor show (and even some indoor ones it seems) to include the phrase 'subject to licence'. Now considering the trading that goes on in sold out concert tickets, and considering that it only takes one person (ie lead singer) to fall in and the whole thing has to be moved - and no consequential losses are covered.

So if Ryanair cancel a flight before check-in, is their liability not always solely for the amount paid, and no more?

Cyrano
9th Feb 2012, 20:42
So if Ryanair cancel a flight before check-in, is their liability not always solely for the amount paid, and no more?

You'll see from the attached PDF (http://www.ryanair.com/doc/faqs/EU261_EN.pdf) (from ryanair.com, no less!) that the EU261 compensation provisions kick in at 2 weeks before departure. So if they cancel on you 3 weeks before your flight, you get your money back; if it's 13 days (or 1 hour) then there is scope for compensation to be payable.

jabird
9th Feb 2012, 21:08
Cyrano - thanks, I was being lazy!

PPRuNeUser0176
11th Feb 2012, 21:35
I know a 3 people who applyed for FR cabin crew and they want to be based DUB but the UK would do. DUB, STN, EMA are there top 3 bases but a lot of people saying thats its realy hard to get into DUB base and they were told that they should stick with 3 UK bases or ORK/SNN instead of DUB to have a better chance of being based in Ireland or UK. Should they change there top 3 bases?

lfc84
11th Feb 2012, 22:59
change airline

Johnny Tightlips
12th Feb 2012, 08:44
Well if the cabin crew basing policy is the same as the pilot's, they can expect to be sent to the back arse of Italy or Spain somewhere:mad:

FR-
12th Feb 2012, 09:30
EMA is way far too over crewed in the winter months, with 2/3 months forced unpaid leave. I would pick, DUB, LPL, STN. If you dont ask you wont get, LPL & STN both have a few flights a day back home to Ireland. Agency crew for ryanair, no thanks, take years to get a ryanair contract now days. Try other airlines, like many of the current are doing.

fr-

EI-A330-300
13th Feb 2012, 13:21
A recent survay conducted by CAI on the cost of flights for a family hoilday from Ireland during the summer months showed Ryanair are not the low fares airline when all taxes and baggage fees are included. Aer Lingus are up to €40 cheeper on key routes that are also operated by Ryanair. It also said that Ryanair are cheeper other times of the year but for familys its more expensive in summer.

A spokesperson for Ryanair insisted that Ryanair offered the lowest fares and said it was unfair to incliude the cost of baggage for family hoildays as they don't want passenger baggage.

BigFrank
13th Feb 2012, 15:17
"A spokesperson for Ryanair insisted that Ryanair offered the lowest fares and said it was unfair to include the cost of baggage for family holidays..."

One wonders whether this spokesperson might be related to the one who was reported as having told the Donegal correspondent of the Financial Times that "mentioning charges for our flights is intrinsically unfair as we far prefer the paying..., oops sorry I meant the punters to continue to believe that we let them travel for free in the high season and we pay them to come on board in the low season."

Well I seem to remember the journalist worked for the Financial Times but maybe it was the Donegal correspondent of Die Welt. Or The Wall Street Journal ?

Justin Cyder-Belvoir
13th Feb 2012, 17:54
Tell you what: buy a business class ticket on BA and then pay £60 to choose your seat.

My heart bleeds for those who pay £3 or £4 for a reserved seat.

eu01
13th Feb 2012, 20:19
If you didn't notice, Ryanair is keen to advertise its competitors. Where? On its own website, look no further. Norwegian Radio wonders does it pay to win a penny for another airline's banner click at risk of losing a potential customer to them. http://gfx.nrk.no/l1-lCyQxRLne7Mb5CrjuWANj0LeS2mF3Si6ZtAoj1Y3g.jpg
Source: NRK, Norway (http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/nordland/1.7994457)
Actually, I've been wondering the same for months. But if the website's owner does not care, why should we care?

racedo
13th Feb 2012, 22:25
Google controls the banners not the airlines hence either allow them or ban them completely.

JSCL
13th Feb 2012, 22:31
Maybe you haven't used Google Adwords before? It is very easy to ban websites or topical subjects or keywords. Maybe Ryanair needs to invest a few hours of staff time to add those filters....

racedo
13th Feb 2012, 22:53
Why bother ?

BigFrank
13th Feb 2012, 23:42
Is that to be the company's new advertising slogan ?

FR-
14th Feb 2012, 03:26
New website look on the 16th

jabird
14th Feb 2012, 03:57
Maybe Ryanair needs to invest a few hours of staff time to add those filters...

Old news. FR have been running Google ads for years, but perhaps not in such a blatant position.

MOL has commented on this before "sure, so we make a bit of money by sending traffic to high fare airlines, so people can do their price comparison and then come straight back to us"

Maybe in the light of Ryanair's more recent uppage of yields they may actually lose a bit of business this way (at least DY have no card charges) - but one thing could can be assured is that MOL / FR's web team know exactly what is going on, revenue raised is matched against potential loss of business, and they will adjust accordingly.:D

After all, we know that Ryanair's web team would never do anything stupid like lock people out with annoying CAPTCHAS now would they :=

jabird
14th Feb 2012, 04:17
does it pay to win a penny for another airline's banner

Having spent and earnt money through Google, let me tell you it is much more than one penny.

Chances are, as Ryanair's content is highly relevant, an out click from the home page will cost anything upto €1. Norwegian would then have to gain more than Ryanair would lose - and Ryanair's usual bluster about being cheapest would mean they'd expect to win, let's say 3 in 4 pax on any head to head route. Yet Grenoble, advertised in Norwegian isn't head to head anyway - or was the surfer in question in Norway at the time?

Google is going to take about 1/3 of the revenue, and Ryanair will get the rest (afaik, 30% is typical, Ryanair will get a bit more) - so as long as Ryanair's "loss" of business is less than Norwegian's "gain" + the Google margin, Ryanair are still quids in.

Except - and here's the clincher? Did I hear you say Norwegian radio were wondering about this? Now would this be a commercial station, or the NRK, from whom such publicity cannot be bought? Repeat such a conversation across dining tables and in forums like these.

I'd say FR's webmasters know exactly who they can ban, but are quite happy to let it run. After all in the UK now, I get adverts for Eurotunnel - are they not an indirect competitor too?

alexccfairport
14th Feb 2012, 08:29
TRANSAVIA was on the website as well

Transportraition
14th Feb 2012, 08:30
' After all, we know that Ryanair's web team would never do anything stupid like lock people out with annoying CAPTCHAS now would they '

jabird - forget about the CAPTCHAS - it's there ! Last night I booked four flights for a total of £26.50 - yes, I had to put in the letters on four occasions while searching and booking. For that kind of deal, do you really think people are going to be very upset with a little extra work ????? - and I don't think your wagging finger will influence Ryanair !

pee
14th Feb 2012, 08:59
I don't think your wagging finger will influence Ryanair
You are right, it will not influence Ryanair, no way. But that's too bad, in my opinion. Just this lack of even basic interaction with the customers, own crews, partners etc. seems to be the biggest fault @Ryanair. Pity, the dialogue is an enormous achievement in the mankind's development, way of improvement things.

Btw., Captcha upsets many, believe me.

jabird
14th Feb 2012, 10:07
jabird - forget about the CAPTCHAS - it's there ! Last night I booked four flights for a total of £26.50 - yes, I had to put in the letters on four occasions while searching and booking. For that kind of deal, do you really think people are going to be very upset with a little extra work ????? - and I don't think your wagging finger will influence Ryanair !

CAPTCHAS have been well discussed above, so I won't repeat what's already been said. I think my other comments made it pretty clear that Ryanair's web team do know what they are doing. IE - yes, CAPTCHAS are a total nuisance (unlike a few ads for rivals), and yes, Ryanair's web team are probably aware of that, and will be monitoring the situation, so if conversion rates do prove to dip significantly, they will find some other way to deter the scrapers, or they will just let it drop - but that just isn't MOL's way is it?

aer lingus
14th Feb 2012, 17:23
Price's for Dub-CDG doubled within minutes of saturdays match in Paris being cancelled and the weekend march 4th/5th being named as the most likly date instead. Ahh, the low fares airline, don't you just love them.:*

DublinPole
14th Feb 2012, 17:48
Do tell, where can I find these fares between DUB and CDG? Oh yeah, sorry FR don't operate there. Best check your facts before trolling next time.

Oh, and did it occur to you the reason prices go up when events are announced is because other people had the same idea of checking flights and booking them, meaning all of the cheap seats go very quickly?

Jack1985
14th Feb 2012, 18:15
No need for personal attacks. :ugh:

PPRuNeUser0176
14th Feb 2012, 18:32
DublinPole you can't just say its because people rushed to make bookings, Ryanair always put the prices up the minute something like this is announced and use that as an excuse which is valid to an extent but it FR trying to get as much money out of people as possible.

eu01
14th Feb 2012, 18:35
Hungary

Ryanair, the Irish no-frills airline, on Tuesday boasted of its “phenomenal” success in ticket sales for newly-announced flights serving Budapest, in the wake of the collapse of Malev, the Hungarian flag carrier. It also stepped up its attacks on Wizz Air, its chief rival in the local market. It alleged that Wizz Air’s ownership structure violated European Union rules – a claim swiftly denied by Wizz.More in Financial Times (http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2012/02/14/585891).

racedo
14th Feb 2012, 18:41
Interesting they are flagging up ownership............

Clearly they know more than they are telling.

racedo
14th Feb 2012, 18:48
DublinPole you can't just say its because people rushed to make bookings, Ryanair always put the prices up the minute something like this is announced and use that as an excuse which is valid to an extent but it FR trying to get as much money out of people as possible.

More to do with the fact that very quickly there are people who will seek to book seats, as seats fill up the price goes up.

PPRuNeUser0176
14th Feb 2012, 19:16
Aer Lingus DUB-CDG (dep fri 2 march-return mon 3 march) 1 passenger €211.18 (not inclduing handling fee or baggage)

Ryanair DUB-BVA (dep fri 2 march-return mon 3 march) 1 passenger €285.32 (not inclduing handling fee or baggage)

Anyway everybody will have there own option on the topic but you can't claim that Ryanair are going to be honest and say they have not set the prices to increase by a larger amount as the seats sold out and if you put 25 passengers on the Ryanair flights its still not sold out as I wouldn't say that the flights are nearly full.

And what happened to the low fare airline....

racedo
14th Feb 2012, 19:26
Anyway everybody will have there own option on the topic but you can't claim that Ryanair are going to be honest and say they have not set the prices to increase by a larger amount as the seats sold out and if you put 25 passengers on the Ryanair flights its still not sold out as I wouldn't say that the flights are nearly full.

And what happened to the low fare airline....

So if Aer Lingus are more expensive for a particular flight on a particular day then Aer Lingus is dishonest ???

Ryanair slogan is "The Low Fares Airline" not the Low Fare Airline on a specific day and date.

frfly
14th Feb 2012, 19:30
Of course they are going to go up....supply and demand....simple rules of business. Ryanair = Business not a public service!!

All airlines do the same, any airline that does not seize such opportunities need their yield/revenue managers sacked!!

PPRuNeUser0176
14th Feb 2012, 19:33
Aer Lingus don't brand themselves as the low fare airline, Ryanair do.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said the other day - insisted that Ryanair offered the lowest fares

From Ryanair website:
Cheap Flights - Lowest European Fares, Low Cost Airline. They should be lower than other airlines all the time and not on days they decide.

j636
14th Feb 2012, 19:45
What will happen soon is Ryanair will come out and say we will add extra flights and have a set fare for the flights. Just like they did with DUB-TLL in November.

racedo
14th Feb 2012, 20:03
Aer Lingus don't brand themselves as the low fare airline, Ryanair do.

Quote:
Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said the other day - insisted that Ryanair offered the lowest fares
From Ryanair website:
Cheap Flights - Lowest European Fares, Low Cost Airline. They should be lower than other airlines all the time and not on days they decide.

Yeah right................keep believing it and its "Low fares Airline"

racedo
14th Feb 2012, 20:04
What will happen soon is Ryanair will come out and say we will add extra flights and have a set fare for the flights. Just like they did with DUB-TLL in November.

Revenue maximisation is what its all about.

crewmeal
15th Feb 2012, 05:11
Yet again this carrier sinks to new depths with their advertising:

BBC News - Ryanair 'sexist adverts' banned after complaints (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17036830)

I like this bit in particular:

Ryanair said since crew members volunteered to take part, it could not be seen to objectify women.

Whilst certain crew members might strip off and earn a couple of extra Euros for it, do they automatically think the rest of the female population would like their headline? But as usual bad publicity is good publicity as the world will read the report and don't care about the ad. As long as the flights are cheap!

paully
15th Feb 2012, 08:00
Well to put the above into context, of all the people who saw it a whole *17* complained about it. Now on such a small sample most reasonable people would say ok protest noted and leave it at that. But not these guys, they hate O`Leary, probably because he usually refers to them as `self appointed dimwits` :D so they hit him with the big stick which is exactly what O`Leary reckoned they would do

Result......headline grabbing for Ryanair and all for FREE :D:D....come on guys love him or loathe him you gotta admit he`s a whole lot smarter than the po faced ASA ;)....

Mind you if I were Easyjet or BA I`d be complaining about the ASA this morning...good stuff though

Bengt
15th Feb 2012, 13:35
Just noticed that there are no flights between NYO-GRO after the 24th of March. Just a few days after Spanair's bankruptcy NYO-BCN was added, with NYO-GRO still available (I know as I rebooked my four canceled flights). Today I see that it is not available anymore.
Jamie2k9, you know any about this? I would not mind an airport change but I want to have my trips....

j636
15th Feb 2012, 14:36
Extra Six Nations Paris flights from ?199 return (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/extra-six-nations-paris-flights-from-199-euro-return)

jabird
15th Feb 2012, 14:48
Extra Six Nations Paris flights from ?199 return

Why on earth would you expect that to be 19.99 return? It is a specific event creating a huge spike in demand based around being one of many thousands of people who will only accept being in one place at a particular time. Do you expect East Coast trains to offer its cheapest fares every time England play Scotland at Murrayfield? If that game was moved to another time, would they lay on extra trains for it? No - because they can't.

Be glad that Ryanair can put on extra flights for this game, appreciate that it is a market led situation, and you can't blame the devil from Mullingar for the original game being cancelled in the first place.

The only scenario when people should whinge is if the flight got delayed and passengers missed the match. There will be no extra compensation for that. But that's a risk you take - be glad you are in a financial position to go to a game everyone else watches on TV. And if Ireland lose and your gambling stake goes down the toilet, you can't blame Ryanair for that either.

Jack1985
15th Feb 2012, 16:22
Are people on this forum actually serious? some of you think Ryanair and Aer Lingus are wrong to increase prices on a route where high demand will exist? this is a basic rule of business/economics where demand is high, price is high its called making money. Get real :ugh:

Jamie2k9
15th Feb 2012, 23:04
Just noticed that there are no flights between NYO-GRO after the 24th of March. Just a few days after Spanair's bankruptcy NYO-BCN was added, with NYO-GRO still available (I know as I rebooked my four canceled flights). Today I see that it is not available anymore.
Jamie2k9, you know any about this? I would not mind an airport change but I want to have my trips....

They have being moved to BCN and GRO cancelled.

jabird
15th Feb 2012, 23:30

Crude - yes.
Tasteless - yes.
Might appeal to the wrong target market - randy teenagers instead of business users and middle class tourists - maybe, depends if daddy's making the booking or not.
As for new depths - yet again, it shows that MOL can put his hand in his pockets and keep it there. As with the Norwegian radio mentioned above, he has done something no ad agency could do - he has got the BBC to broadcast his ad for him without having to pay a penny.

racedo
15th Feb 2012, 23:36

Some people get out of the bed every morning looking for ways to be offended.:rolleyes:

newscaster
16th Feb 2012, 01:52
Dispatchers did a good expose on them Ryanair Caught Napping | Watch Free Documentary Online (http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/ryanair-caught-napping/)

Transportraition
16th Feb 2012, 07:31
To ' jabird ' Reference to post #2971.

That was quite the lecture - where did you get the 19.99 figures from ????

BigFrank
16th Feb 2012, 15:02
Such spoilsports. Sticking to the facts.

Don' t they know that most punters, like a not inconsiderable number of posters here, prefer the b@ll**** which comes from the PR dept of the low cost airline (sic).

racedo
16th Feb 2012, 17:56
Dispatchers did a good expose on them Ryanair Caught Napping | Watch Free Documentary Online (http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/ryanair-caught-napping/)

:D:D:D
Wow you really are up there and in touch with the NEWS.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This program was 1st shown on February 13th 2006......:ugh::ugh:

CARNMANORLAD
16th Feb 2012, 18:35
I thought the new Webpage was to go live today? Anyone have any info?

davidjohnson6
16th Feb 2012, 18:55
CarnManorLad - it seems that the Ryanair IT department wishes to emulate their counterparts at the world's finest airlines, by taking on the culture of "project slippage" :O

jabird
16th Feb 2012, 23:17
To ' jabird ' Reference to post #2971.

That was quite the lecture - where did you get the 19.99 figures from ????

I took the quoted figure of 199 and divided it by 10 to give the figure some people seemed to think they should pay for these flights.

Transportraition
17th Feb 2012, 06:57
jabird typed -

' I took the quoted figure of 199 and divided it by 10 to give the figure some people seemed to think they should pay for these flights. '

Really ?????!!!!!!! Well, we had better leave it at that. Thanks for your reply.

racedo
17th Feb 2012, 17:48
CarnManorLad - it seems that the Ryanair IT department wishes to emulate their counterparts at the world's finest airlines, by taking on the culture of "project slippage"

Thing is I don't remember there being any statement as to a new website just a comment on here.

Accept the comment by the poster at face value that there was supposed to be a new one but really that is all we have to go on.

CARNMANORLAD
17th Feb 2012, 18:14
Quote:
CarnManorLad - it seems that the Ryanair IT department wishes to emulate their counterparts at the world's finest airlines, by taking on the culture of "project slippage"

Thing is I don't remember there being any statement as to a new website just a comment on here.

Accept the comment by the poster at face value that there was supposed to be a new one but really that is all we have to go on.

Thing is some parts of the Ryanair website are now live with the new design! For example if you click on 'destinations' it loads the new section.

TSR2
17th Feb 2012, 18:34
Plans have been submitted for a new extension for London Southend Airport that would result in the creation of 300 new aviation jobs.

What is the relevance to the Ryanair thread ?

racedo
17th Feb 2012, 18:57
TSR

Dunno as perhaps they expect FR to want to go to Southend.

frfly
19th Feb 2012, 07:40
Looks like a few teething problems in the BUD base....for a start scheduling have messed up on a few of the block times. BUD-RYG given 01:40 for a distance of 778NM.....impossible. 02:15 for BUD-BCN, with the 20 minute taxi out for take off!! I sense a few schedule changes appearing ASAP!!

Noxegon
20th Feb 2012, 15:28
Interesting press release....

Ryanair Sues Budget Travel to Stop Unauthorised Selling of? (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-sues-budget-travel)

I'm no legal expert, but I don't believe there is any legislation in Ireland at least that bans reselling goods or services at a markup. Ryanair might not like it, but at first glance I'm not sure that there's anything they can do about it beyond making things inconvenient with the captcha et al.

racedo
20th Feb 2012, 17:44
Think it could come under use of Brand name without consent or permission and use of Intellectual property without consent.

Given Ryanair's success in quite a few countries I bet the lawyers have done their homework.

davidjohnson6
20th Feb 2012, 17:48
Ryanair is a large company with plenty of spare cash and access to numerous lawyers. It also has a reputation for appealing any judgement it doesn't like as far as it possibly can. A small company without deep pockets of cash might think very carefully before wishing to engage in a potentially very costly and lengthy battle through the courts.

That which is right and fair does not always triumph when the 2 parties have unequal acces to the legal system

Carnethy
20th Feb 2012, 18:05
Cuts to services at Edinburgh to be announced tomorrow due to a dispute with BAA over costs :sad:

j636
20th Feb 2012, 18:11
The schedule is already down to 6 for next summer was 7 in 2011 so will FR's PR maching go into over dirve on this or will there be more on top. Its a very recent problem as they only added 4 or 5 routes recently.

Stevek
20th Feb 2012, 18:57
Is Zadar back on for DUB during the summer?

Bartek
20th Feb 2012, 19:01
Cuts to services at Edinburgh to be announced tomorrow due to a dispute with BAA over costs

Surprise, surprise! BAA is counting down the months until it offloads EDI and suddenly the nice rosy relationship with FR hits the bottom of a ravine.

I could be cynical and suggest that would suit BAA in Scotland right down to the ground. But it would be a risky game to play during a period in which they are looking for substantial bids from interested parties, to suddenly see the airport's relationship with a key client take a dramatic dive. Could be worth a peg or two off the asking price to a canny buyer, if passenger numbers take a sudden dive. But there would be nothing to stop them (the new operators at EDI, whoever they will be) trying afresh with FR again, so maybe FR knows exactly what it's doing. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Exasperated
20th Feb 2012, 19:46
The schedule is already down to 6 for next summer was 7 in 2011 so will FR's PR maching go into over dirve on this or will there be more on top. Its a very recent problem as they only added 4 or 5 routes recently.

Actually still needs 7 aircraft so some cuts required to reduce to 6.

Ex

j636
20th Feb 2012, 20:12
Well going from the past, when MOL travels to an airport to announce cuts it tends to be around 20% cuts.

Cyrano
20th Feb 2012, 20:33
Interesting press release....

Ryanair Sues Budget Travel to Stop Unauthorised Selling of?

I suspect the B team wrote the press release and couldn't quite get the spell checker working (e.g. "Budget Travel is scrapping and reselling Ryanair seats"). I had to smile in particular at
Failing to provide consumer’s with proper breakdown of the fight price

What with captcha, lots of opt-out boxes to tick, having to refuse insurance a couple of times, etc., "fight price" seems like an apt description of the booking process! :hmm:

jabird
20th Feb 2012, 21:36
Failing to provide consumer’s with proper breakdown of the fight price;

And the small question of rogue apostrophe's.

I fort baysicce langwidge skulls wear stil a ferly importunt partt uf a lohr dugrey, and kwite yoozful four pres releeses's two?

RYR738_driver
20th Feb 2012, 23:11
RE: Edinburgh cuts due to price disagreements.

I'm not fully convinced this is the case. I'm more inclined to say that it's the Ryanair PR machine blaming someone else yet again. Real reasons behind the cuts could be lack stand availability for night stopping aircraft during the peak summer season. Also, Servisair are more often than not running short on staff in the terminal and on the ramp.

Another reason I'd say is that FR simply havent got enough pilots, cabin crew or aircraft to deploy to Edinburgh, when there are 5 new bases opening March/April and deliveries slowing and other airports like STN/CRL/MAD up to full summer capacity.

From looking at the timetable, it seems that there are fewer flights to PMI/ALC/AGP, which were all running at 7-8 p/w last season. Could this simply be a tactic by FR to increase ticket fares by giving the passengers less choice?

Facelookbovvered
21st Feb 2012, 09:47
I doubt it's lack of pilots or cabin crew, more a high stakes game that MOL is playing with BAA in the run up to sell off at EDI. If BAA are to get less cash from the sale as a result of FR threats to cut services the FR logic is that they might as well give FR the cash in reduced fees not to cut services?:sad:

j636
21st Feb 2012, 10:15
7 down to 6 based a/c
5 routes cancelled (Malmo, Murcia, Ibiza and Tallinn)
140 down to 110 weekly flights
300,000 passenger per year.

There current contract is finished in October 2012 and Ryanair said if it is not extended on more competitive terms there will be significant further cuts.

Ryanair Cuts Edinburgh Traffic by 15% From Summer 2012 (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-cuts-edinburgh-traffic-by-15-percent-from-summer-2012)

BigFrank
21st Feb 2012, 13:52
Alex Salmond and the Skottish Parliament to vote 15m sterling (not "Scots"; perish the thought !) to be used for pump priming of new routes in accordance with Brussels's hyper tough regulations.

Everyone then happy:

i) Scottish travelling public as it can now travel to Spitzbergen in mid-summer for a handful of bawbees (plus a supplement for paying the pilot, another for paying the cleaner, another for paying the tug, another for paying the window cleaner, another for paying the snow clearer in EDI, another for....)

ii) Alex Salmond (the second greatest politician in living memory, only eclipsed by Nelson Mandela; or so says Rupert Murdoch today in the soar away Sun) can rest easy on his laurels as a member of the European Premier League of airline subsidisers. Eat your heart out Artur Mas i Gavarró

iii) MOL as he counts his hard earned bonus

iv) The bureaucrats of Brussels as they know that the use of a Ryanair plane as a flying taxi by the Transport Commissioner in an outrageously brazen illegal intromission in the decisions of the electorate of Ireland in their most recent referendum has not been noticed by anyone of any judicial importance

Not a single fly in the lego-political-subsidy-rich ointment.

BigFrank
21st Feb 2012, 14:06
MOL has threatened to walk away from EDI in autumn 2012 unless they guarantee 20m sterling. In cash. To be paid before the end of February.

"We're sick and tired of gombeen airports and their gombeen governments which treat Ryanair executives like a cross between cattle and human scum" he intoned to a packed press conference full of credulous hacks as he playfully stuffed a pair of bagpipes in the orifice of the Skottish First Minister in Edinburgh on Tuesday.

PleasureFlyer
21st Feb 2012, 16:11
Malmo, Murcia and Ibiza havent even been flown yet, and Tallin is seasonal anyway (only summer) so the 300,000 fewer passengers isnt really true - it is only FR's estimate of what numbers might have been. So not really cutting anything, or only very little.

Schorschi
21st Feb 2012, 19:26
Following a german newspaper a press conference will be held tomorrow in CGN. Does anyone know something if FR will start flying from CGN? If so - which routes?

racedo
21st Feb 2012, 19:51
Following a german newspaper a press conference will be held tomorrow in CGN. Does anyone know something if FR will start flying from CGN? If so - which routes?

It would suggest so

Guess is a few sunshine routes in Spain / Cyprus.....

virginblue
21st Feb 2012, 20:42
As instead of MOL Ryanair's country manager will be showing up, I do not think we will see a major announcement, i.e. a base. A few routes from other bases, I guess. For a base, FR would have to hurt both HHN (100mls) and NRN (80mls).

Charlie Roy
22nd Feb 2012, 08:46
A few routes from other bases, I guess. For a base, FR would have to hurt both HHN (100mls) and NRN (80mls)

As one of the richest and most populated regions in Europe there's room for 3 Ryanair bases there...

danieln
22nd Feb 2012, 09:20
According to a German newspaper, Ryanair might announce that it will base up to 2 aircraft at Cologne/Bonn. This would not influence flights or routes from the other bases at Niederrhein and Hahn.

Billigflieger:*Ryanair könnte in Köln/Bonn landen (21.02.2012) | Nachrichten | Wirtschaft | Lokales | General-Anzeiger Online (http://www.general-anzeiger-bonn.de/lokales/wirtschaft/nachrichten/Ryanair-koennte-in-Koeln-Bonn-landen-article628452.html)

virginblue
22nd Feb 2012, 11:36
As per press release, its PMI (7/7) and GRO (6/7).

Jorik
22nd Feb 2012, 11:48
That's right, both routes starting May 2012

Cologne/Bonn (CGN) to Palma de Mallorca (PMI) daily
Cologne/Bonn (CGN) to Barcelona Girona (GRO) 6x weekly

Source:
Ryanair fliegt künftig auch ab Köln/Bonn - FLUG REVUE (http://www.flugrevue.de/de/zivilluftfahrt/airports/ryanair-fliegt-kuenftig-auch-ab-koelnbonn.85853.htm)

alexccfairport
22nd Feb 2012, 15:13
NEW (Twice a week from May 2012)

Paris Beauvais Tillé to Pula Croatia

j636
22nd Feb 2012, 17:10
EU investigates German, Austrian airports over aid | Reuters (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/02/22/uk-eu-aviation-stateaid-idUKTRE81L0Q920120222)

The DAA claimed this was happening last year and

Riga Airport fined for applying reduced fees for Ryanair :: The Baltic Course | Baltic States news & analytics (http://www.baltic-course.com/eng/transport/?doc=53431)

jabird
22nd Feb 2012, 18:53
Cologne/Bonn (CGN) to Barcelona Girona (GRO) 6x weekly

Considering that, unlike HHN or NRN, CGN is very much a proper airport (near a proper city and minutes away from said city by train), why reverse their trend of adding new routes at BCN in favour of GRO?

Keyvon
22nd Feb 2012, 19:19
@ jabird

Because Costa Brava it is an extremely popular holiday spot for German holidaymakers, especially among teenagers. Thousands flood every summer to resorts such as Lloret de Mar or Calella.

jabird
22nd Feb 2012, 19:26
Because Costa Brava it is an extremely popular holiday spot for German holidaymakers, especially among teenagers. Thousands flood every summer to resorts such as Lloret de Mar or Calella.

Because Barcelona is an extremely popular city break spot for German holidaymakers, even more so among teenagers. Millions flood every summer to have their pockets fleeced on Las Ramblas.

Don't doubt that GRO is a destination in its own right, but so is BCN. No doubt the bean counters have done their maths, but this bucks the trend of recent months.

My geographically wired brain always thinks - link the cities to the cities, but it is never as simple as that!

virginblue
22nd Feb 2012, 19:49
CGN-BCN has been served by Germanwings for ten years now.

From a local perspective, I guess GRO can be seen as a destination in its own right rather than an airport serving Barcelona. If it were different, why does FR continue serving GRO at all now that they also fly into BCN?

Btw., in the past, there was also CGN-REU by HLX in addition to CGN-BCN by Germanwings.

jabird
22nd Feb 2012, 20:17
CGN-BCN has been served by Germanwings for ten years now.

You mean Ryanair actually do take note of competition from time to time?

why does FR continue serving GRO at all now that they also fly into BCN?

That has been well debated earlier on this thread. However, their recent trend has been towards BCN over GRO, so this looked like a different tactic.

pee
23rd Feb 2012, 10:54
From today's news: Ryanair partners with 888.com to add betting facility to website.
A partnership between Ryanair and online gaming and entertainment provider 888.com will see the airline offering casino, poker, bingo and sportsbetting to its website visitors.

“....with 888.com we now deliver the best online gaming entertainment to half a billion annual visitors to Ryanair.com,” said the airline’s head of communications, Stephen McNamara.

“The world’s first poker tournaments featuring Ryanair flight vouchers as prize money are sure to excite gaming and travel fans throughout Europe who will also find casino, bingo and sportsbetting on Ryanair.com.
Something like: Bet & search! Not interested? Continue via Captcha! :rolleyes: :=

TSR2
23rd Feb 2012, 15:20
The world’s first poker tournaments featuring Ryanair flight vouchers as prize money are sure to excite gaming and travel fans throughout Europe

Yeh, I'm sure they will !!!

j636
23rd Feb 2012, 16:09
FR announced that Dublin-Budapest will increase form 4 to daily at the end of March.

davidjohnson6
23rd Feb 2012, 18:04
In theory (at least in FR land) this sounds like a great deal - not only make money from ads on your website, but also make money selling vouchers that are both difficult and expensive to use.

However to my mind - without perhaps the knowledge of how the great unwashed masses think, it seems rather like the plan to get people paying 2 euros per minute for in flight phonecalls which flopped badly. People may be irrational but most people are not completely stupid.

Ryanair as a brand is about taking people cheaply and efficiently on short haul trips in Europe. The brand of Ryanair is being stretched too far - there is too much risk of a nacklash both from the USA where online gambling is very tightly controlled or other culturss which disapprove of gambling.

racedo
23rd Feb 2012, 19:07
Ryanair as a brand is about taking people cheaply and efficiently on short haul trips in Europe. The brand of Ryanair is being stretched too far - there is too much risk of a nacklash both from the USA where online gambling is very tightly controlled or other culturss which disapprove of gambling.

True but as Ryanair doesn't do any flying to the US then its pretty irrelevant what the prevailing Govt sentiment is there, in the same way that Mecca bingo halls are irrelavant to what the Saudi's think.

Not sure there is any EU country where gambling is banned, mind you given the state of finances of most EU countries it has been the Govts doing the gambling rather than the population.

BigFrank
23rd Feb 2012, 22:51
...is about CONTINUING TO PRETEND TO BE ABOUT taking people cheaply.....

Jamie2k9
23rd Feb 2012, 23:03
jabird - Ryanair would have there reasons from CGN-GRO and not BCN. Weeze is also being moved back to GRO in March.

jabird
23rd Feb 2012, 23:16
jabird - Ryanair would have there reasons from CGN-GRO and not BCN. Weeze is also being moved back to GRO in March.

Jamie - no doubt they do, I was just trying to figure it out and I think the responses have given good logic. One thing you can guarantee with Ryanair is that they know what they are doing most of the time, and if they stuff a route up, they will withdraw it quickly, find an airport or tourist board to blame if they can for the free PR, then move on.

pee
24th Feb 2012, 05:52
"Ryanair in fight with Danish trade unions" - writes the Danish press today. More precisely, it looks like the trade unions intend to fight with Ryanair. Their protest concerns Billund and it's the situation similar to other countries. Trade unions try to prevent Ryanair from employing its Danish staff on Irish contracts. The resistance is accelerating right now and starting to involve politicians as well.

sam dilly
24th Feb 2012, 10:48
I note that Ryanair are moving terminals at Manchester again.

Just fairly recently they moved from T1 to T2, and now to T3, where do they go next , Woodford ?

boyzinblue
24th Feb 2012, 18:25
Bremen to close from the 6th to 14th of August due to runway repair work. All flights have been cancelled. Why didn't they go to Hannover for or Hamburg (1 hour away) for the 8 days and try to accomodate passengers?

Malaga
25th Feb 2012, 10:21
Obviously customer service is not high on their list of prorities......maybe too expensive!

ara01jbb
25th Feb 2012, 10:41
and try to accomodate passengers?

The clue is in the question :ok:

racedo
25th Feb 2012, 16:10
Re Bremen

Passengers notified as soon as Airline knew, with 5 1/2 months to go before runway is shut it allows more than adequate time for persons who have booked to arrange other flights.

Perhaps instead of bitching about it, why not ask the airport why they are closing during peak season.

Jamie2k9
26th Feb 2012, 00:39
Perhaps instead of bitching about it, why not ask the airport why they are closing during peak season.

The work should be carried out in stages and at night time like all other major European airports and closing during the peak summer season is not acceptable. Most airports carry out runway repairs during the winter.

ConstantFlyer
26th Feb 2012, 06:42
peak summer season?

I think early August is a quiet time of year for Bremen, rather than 'peak season'.

PPRuNeUser0176
27th Feb 2012, 11:34
Merrion lowers Ryanair on cost fears - RT News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0227/ryanair-business.html)

My names Turkish
27th Feb 2012, 13:41
Here are the figures in detail EIDW http://www.merrion-capital.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/RyanairSelFeb2012.pdf

Does anyone know why some of the new routes announced from Leipzig starting March according to the "route news section" on Ryanairs website are still not bookable?

Leipzig Faro was supposed to available from March but it's not bookable even in the summer?

FKB-Freak
27th Feb 2012, 14:25
LEY-FAO is cancelled ;)

pee
27th Feb 2012, 14:39
From May 15 to July 15, the Ukrainian sky will be open to all airlines of the world with the appropriate license. In addition, we conclude the negotiations with one of the largest low-cost carriers and I think the cheap flights will be started even before the beginning of the championships".
These first flights are likely to fly from Britain and France to Lviv and Donetsk
This is the citation of what Mr. Kolesnikov, Ukrainian Vice Prime Minister said to the press today, commenting the introduction of a temporary "Open Skies" regulation in Ukraine during the football championships.

---------------------------------------

From the Merrion research above:
Based on guidance, the average fare for Ryanair in FY12 will be 30% higher than FY10 and reach its highest level in ten years
I think it could be even more than 30%. Look at these prices:
Thu 26 Apr 12
Depart:
Tampere 19:20
Arrive:
Budapest T2 20:40
1 x Adult 111.22 EUR

Tue1 May 12
Depart:
Budapest T2 15:35
Arrive:
Tampere 18:55
1 x Adult 121.81 EUR

Total
233.03 EUR
+ CC fees, + luggage fees...

My names Turkish
27th Feb 2012, 14:49
LEY-FAO is cancelled

It's still showing on the route map. Any idea why?

Mallorcaguy
27th Feb 2012, 16:13
I have just been talking with a close friend who works at Lviv airport, she has told me that two low cost airlines are to be granted licenses to fly from Britain to Lviv, the licenses are for six months and twelve months respectively and will start in the next couple of months.
Lviv airport employees have been told flights from three British airports six days per weeks. One airline is British the other European, Ryanair or Wizzair are favorite for the European airline but I'm not sure which British airline it will be, Easyjet maybe?

Great news for those of us who have friends in Ukraine, hopefully the flights will be from Liverpool, Leeds or Manchester then no more stopovers at Heathrow or Gatwick.:ok:

dwlpl
27th Feb 2012, 16:40
Lviv airport employees have been told flights from three British airports six days per weeks. One airline is British the other European, Ryanair or Wizzair are favorite for the European airline but I'm not sure which British airline it will be, Easyjet maybe?

Great news for those of us who have friends in Ukraine, hopefully the flights will be from Liverpool, Leeds or Manchester then no more stopovers at Heathrow or Gatwick.

Taken from post here http://www.pprune.org/6993838-post482.html

Hard luck, I heard Ryanair may start LPL to Lviv

racedo
27th Feb 2012, 17:41
Stockbroker makes comment and everbody jumps on board :rolleyes:

Now correct me if I'm wrong but every other airline will face the same cost pressures on fuel....................fact is many are already doing so.

Many banks are unable / unwilling to fund hedging positions with some airlines, simply because there are unsure of the overall longterm viability of the airline(s) concerned.

If someone is taking a hedging position its because they believe in a potential profit opportunity. If they likely to lose both in terms of the hedging position and the airline going bust they will stay away or charge a super premium upfront.

Airline then really at mercy of market and trust me the suppliers will know it as well hence cash upfront or limited credit terms.

The demise of Malev / Spanair plus sadly a number of others that may follow open up opportunities for those who have the ability, capacity and :mad: to get them.

Its easy surviving a recession, the problem is surviving the recovery or the false recoveries that will happen before you are really out of it.

befree
28th Feb 2012, 09:19
A £5 rise in fuel costs on a £100 ticket you have a problem. This is worst if the same fuel cost rise is on a £40 ticket. This is why planes are being rested in the winter.

For ryanair the big problem is the effect on the 2nd hand plane market. Ryanair has been used to buying new planes at close to cost and selling them on before they need major work at close to the price paid.

INKJET
28th Feb 2012, 14:25
I think the Stockbroker probably underestimates FR pricing ability, they still enjoy a huge cost advantage over other airlines and all transports cost in Europe are on an upward trend, further FR will be willing to push its non unionised staff closer to the brink of industrial action than say Easyjet.

On the downside is the passenger mix, i suspect that Easyjets pax mix is a little better off than the average FR pax, FR are cheap but once the price creeps up it will hit the upper limit of its passengers willingness/ability to pay before some of its peers. Of course Ryanair now dominate some markets to the extent that they have little choice, its either pay up or stay at home and a good number will be forced to do just that.

I think the report shows just how well MOL called it when he did the Boeing deal, it gave him the means and the cost advantage to take a big bite out of the market and its clear that that type of deal will not come around again from either Boeing or Airbus, but the Chinese would fall over themselves to get FR to be launch customer in a Western market, but FR would get a deal and a half, i reckon it would have to be £20m an aircraft after any import duties and lots of freebies, would passengers be bothered? i doubt it as long as it meets European safety standards.

j636
28th Feb 2012, 16:00
RYANAIR DELIVERS 26 NEW SUMMER ROUTES FROM LONDON « Aviator Aero / Newswire (http://www.aviator.aero/newswire/index.php/2012/02/ryanair-delivers-26-new-summer-routes-from-london/)

26 new routes from STN and LTN - 260 extra weekly flights.

davidjohnson6
28th Feb 2012, 18:18
Looks to me just a hot air press release. There are about 18 or 20 routes from London which are seasonal running every year only in the summer. The remaining new routes have largely already been announced and gone on sale, some by virtue of other routes being cancelled or seeing reduced frequency.

Nothing new to see here, move along please.

EI-A330-300
28th Feb 2012, 18:43
Ryanair launches multimillion pound lawsuit against ExxonMobil | Business | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/feb/28/ryanair-lawsuit-exxonmobil-aviation-fuel?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

GustyOrange
28th Feb 2012, 18:49
If there's one company that won't bend over and take it from MOL it's Exxon.

G