Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Edinburgh-4

Old 18th Jul 2023, 21:34
  #1521 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 53
Posts: 1,418
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Sounds like my time in Servisair at Manchester 40 years ago, and I bet there aren't the number of 'assistance' passengers we used to get off a Wardair (usually double figures, think the record was over 30...).

Made loads on overtime
The Winter tenerifes are worse than that… they should have an onboard medic and wheelchair mechanic. And you ought to see an Indian or Pakistani flight LHR, more like how many DONT think they need assistance. Id say it was worse now…
VickersVicount is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2023, 22:20
  #1522 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or the Lourdes charter flights
NotanAVGeek is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2023, 23:31
  #1523 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 581
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edistevie
30000 mtrs of PQ concrete for airside, If I recall they were supposedly to concrete between the cargo ramps to the new stands, then again it could be anywhere, should find out soon enough.
Could just be related to this? Although that does sound like a lot of concrete...

Echo Taxiway Rehabilitation (Value £4m) The Echo taxiway rehabilitation project has passed through TG2. A temporary relocation of the taxiway centreline will be completed in Q1 2023 to mitigate further damage to the pavement concrete along the centreline. Full scale removal and reinstatement of the taxiway is scheduled for winter 23-24 after design has completed.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/2hwzhse...ACC_report.pdf
GoEDI is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2023, 08:33
  #1524 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 420
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very rare visitor due in around 12:40 today. AirX A343. Possibly a first time visitor to EDI? Departing 18:40 this evening to Newark carrying the Manchester United football team.
Planeraz is online now  
Old 19th Jul 2023, 19:34
  #1525 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any sign of Edinburgh getting the luggage situation under control yet? Surprised its not been highlighted much in the media yet?

Last edited by GrahamK; 19th Jul 2023 at 20:23.
GrahamK is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2023, 07:25
  #1526 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrahamK
Any sign of Edinburgh getting the luggage situation under control yet? Surprised its not been highlighted much in the media yet?
Arrived on Monday in the afternoon, and no trolleys available at domestic baggage at 15:30.
Not good when you have 6 cases and bags to move to the car-park.

The amount of baggage lying about the place was shocking. An Easyjet flight had been waiting for 40 mins on their bags.
Anyone could just take a few extra of the bags lying about. Outside the exit to the domestic arrivals it looked like a make shift holding area for luggage has been made.

TankEngineStar is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2023, 09:04
  #1527 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Falkirk
Posts: 267
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TankEngineStar
Arrived on Monday in the afternoon, and no trolleys available at domestic baggage at 15:30.
Not good when you have 6 cases and bags to move to the car-park.

The amount of baggage lying about the place was shocking. An Easyjet flight had been waiting for 40 mins on their bags.
Anyone could just take a few extra of the bags lying about. Outside the exit to the domestic arrivals it looked like a make shift holding area for luggage has been made.
I appreciate this looks bad for the airport- and yes perhaps they can do more, but to the untrained eye this issue is fundamentally an issue of the airlines and their HUB airports inability to transfer bags between terminals in time to catch the domestic flights.
That’s not to say the ground handling agents aren’t under resourced baggage at EDI but bags arriving on different flights from their passengers is not here fault.
Also there is the issue of not enough taxis and drivers to deliver bags to passengers post COVID.

Sk1schoolsam is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2023, 09:07
  #1528 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 420
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both UA services from EWR last night operated by a 763. UA161 didn’t appear to have been a last minute swap out as the flight departed pretty much on time. The planned 752 may have gone tech or been delayed elsewhere. UA36 was showing as a 763 from Monday so perhaps a few extra seats were required to satisfy demand.
Planeraz is online now  
Old 20th Jul 2023, 10:05
  #1529 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Earth
Posts: 112
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VickersVicount
I doubt they’d be pushing for that given current issues and recent negative publicity…
Surely Gordon Dewar wouldn't want to miss out on another opportunity to show that he's prepared to go "into the trenches" when the airport is busy.

See 8m10s:

Breathe is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2023, 10:38
  #1530 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Breathe
Surely Gordon Dewar wouldn't want to miss out on another opportunity to show that he's prepared to go "into the trenches" when the airport is busy.

See 8m10s:

https://youtu.be/jca20USsgYI?t=490
Watching that video and it’s only got worse 😂

Gordon Dewar has been helping in security quite a lot at the peak times.
NotanAVGeek is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2023, 12:28
  #1531 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Warwickshire
Posts: 1,057
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly not a problem exclusive to EDI. Landed at BHX last Saturday afternoon at 16.45 off a Jet2 flight, passport control was busy but surprisingly quick, bags however took 50 minutes 🙄 a fair few other flights waiting for lengthy times too and this was (luckily) after the EK 380 and QR 787 pax had cleared through.

I don't think either airport has the sufficient infrastructure in place to cope with these heavy peak flows, but with the huge expansion in long haul ops at EDI this summer, probably the issue is more pronounced there?
GayFriendly is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2023, 18:33
  #1532 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 834
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeraz
Both UA services from EWR last night operated by a 763. UA161 didn’t appear to have been a last minute swap out as the flight departed pretty much on time. The planned 752 may have gone tech or been delayed elsewhere. UA36 was showing as a 763 from Monday so perhaps a few extra seats were required to satisfy demand.
N670UA which operated the second flight is premium heavy and has 2 Fewer seats than the scheduled 757 !

Combined there were the potential for 43 extra over both flight however doubt they sold that .

Really just a clear indication of the dire reliability of the remain 757s - They need to go from the Atlantic soonest
Rutan16 is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2023, 19:02
  #1533 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 420
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutan16
N670UA which operated the second flight is premium heavy and has 2 Fewer seats than the scheduled 757 !

Combined there were the potential for 43 extra over both flight however doubt they sold that .

Really just a clear indication of the dire reliability of the remain 757s - They need to go from the Atlantic soonest
Looking at the pax figures, J on both flights were sold out. A few upgrades as well probably. Four free economy seats between both flights. UA36, this evening is also a 763. The 752’s are increasingly unreliable, so I agree with you on that front. As has been commented on previously, United have a decision to make as to what metal will operate in the next year or so. Large 787 and 321XLR orders but delivery delays to boot.
Planeraz is online now  
Old 20th Jul 2023, 19:11
  #1534 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 834
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeraz
Looking at the pax figures, J on both flights were sold out. A few upgrades as well probably. Four free economy seats between both flights. UA36, this evening is also a 763. The 752’s are increasingly unreliable, so I agree with you on that front. As has been commented on previously, United have a decision to make as to what metal will operate in the next year or so. Large 787 and 321XLR orders but delivery delays to boot.
”sold out” does not mean what you think here .

There will have been some upgrades sure enough.

They will have closed at the rate of the scheduled flight ie the 757


Rutan16 is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2023, 19:37
  #1535 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GayFriendly
Sadly not a problem exclusive to EDI. Landed at BHX last Saturday afternoon at 16.45 off a Jet2 flight, passport control was busy but surprisingly quick, bags however took 50 minutes 🙄 a fair few other flights waiting for lengthy times too and this was (luckily) after the EK 380 and QR 787 pax had cleared through.

I don't think either airport has the sufficient infrastructure in place to cope with these heavy peak flows, but with the huge expansion in long haul ops at EDI this summer, probably the issue is more pronounced there?
I would sincerely hope that the QR 787 passengers had received their baggage by 16:45 on a Saturday- the flight is scheduled to land at 07:30 on Saturday mornings! (According to Flight Radar 24 it landed at 07:44)
armychap_007 is offline  
Old 28th Jul 2023, 22:07
  #1536 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 420
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA W23

Increasing from 71 to 77 per week. Sources reporting that BA plan to use a 788 on one of the rotations. Let’s see if this turns out to be correct!
The planned increases will bring BA back to pre pandemic levels.
Planeraz is online now  
Old 29th Jul 2023, 06:47
  #1537 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 834
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeraz
BA W23

Increasing from 71 to 77 per week. Sources reporting that BA plan to use a 788 on one of the rotations. Let’s see if this turns out to be correct!
The planned increases will bring BA back to pre pandemic levels.
Why abuse a 788 on a short capital to capital hop (BTW 4 fewer seats than the 321 NEO !)

Where is the extra near daily from City or Heathrow ?

Planeraz noted a theme at all? the smaller widebodies don’t deliver massive uplift (indeed regularly lower seat numbers) than the 757/321 through admittedly do provide for extra pallet space .

In the case of BA many moons ago this fact was instrumental in their decision to buy the 757 over competing A310 and earlier 767-200s-they didn't need the pallet space at the time and the performance was advantageous for of some of Europes shorter runways - Monarch also identified this little fact!
Rutan16 is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2023, 09:55
  #1538 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 2,296
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutan16
Why abuse a 788 on a short capital to capital hop (BTW 4 fewer seats than the 321 NEO !)
It can often be due to aircraft availability at that time, was sometimes seen in Winter timetables with even the non-Euro 767-300’s (although if I recall they did offer capacity uplift even with CW seating).
Think LCY from EDI frequency cut for W23
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2023, 10:31
  #1539 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 834
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CabinCrewe
It can often be due to aircraft availability at that time, was sometimes seen in Winter timetables with even the non-Euro 767-300’s (although if I recall they did offer capacity uplift even with CW seating).
Think LCY from EDI frequency cut for W23
Well aware BA has deployed the 767 and prior Tristar on Edinburgh - Heathrow and when they actually had a genuine shuttle product . Hay they even flew one Tristar service to Aberdeen in a differing life !

The point making wasn’t the use ( abuse) of the Dreamliner per say rather the implication that it would be a capacity uplift ( it won’t) through it might give some juvenile pilots a few hours I suppose.

So is the extra just a restoration of aHeathrow rotation then ?

Also do remember BA “sold out” rarely means full to capacity with numerous and varied middle seats blocked for the full fare payers indeed upto 24 on a 320 and 28 on a 321 NEO can be blocked out and still be “sold out”

Last edited by Rutan16; 29th Jul 2023 at 16:13.
Rutan16 is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2023, 13:10
  #1540 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,842
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They wouldn't be planning to restart LGW?
inOban is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.