Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Edinburgh-4

Old 17th Apr 2023, 17:44
  #1121 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 2,297
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nebpor
You were bang on the money - I checked in online (didn't let me last year), walked straight up to bagdrop and it was effectively instant.

Then stood for an hour at JFK!!
What was the product and service like on the old 763?
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2023, 18:39
  #1122 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 235
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qatar now bookable twice-daily every day for the forthcoming winter season. B788 on the morning flight and B789 on the afternoon one.
tartan 201 is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2023, 19:15
  #1123 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 456
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tartan 201
Qatar now bookable twice-daily every day for the forthcoming winter season. B788 on the morning flight and B789 on the afternoon one.
Great news. Double daily year round. 789 operating both flights on certain Xmas dates.

Last edited by Planeraz; 18th Apr 2023 at 21:06.
Planeraz is online now  
Old 19th Apr 2023, 21:11
  #1124 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: scotland
Posts: 119
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CabinCrewe
What was the product and service like on the old 763?
I love the 763 - 2-3-2 means a nice cabin feeling of space. Seat was decent, IFE not bad albeit limited library

Service warm and friendly - I've been on Delta a few times now and it's always been good!
nebpor is online now  
Old 19th Apr 2023, 21:15
  #1125 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 456
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Feb 2023 Stats

Some stats and approx LF’s for certain routes.

QR - 18,692 or 94% Increased to 10 x weekly early Feb. The increased capacity appears to have been fully justified.
TK - 7,702 or 80%
UA - 7,102 or 78%
DL - 5,039 or 76%

Some European route stats with noticeable % increases compared to Feb 22. Large increases, even taking into account the Scot Gov restrictions that were still in place.

Bucharest - 7,090 +184%. Served by FR and Wizz. Approx LF - 96%
Riga (Latvia) - 6094 + 215%. FR. Approx LF - 95%
Copenhagen - 10,296 + 56%. EZY and Norwegian. Approx LF - 92%
Oslo - 6,801 + 125%. Norwegian. Approx LF - 95%
Keflavik - 4836 + 127%. EZY - 94% Worth noting FI route from GLA transported less than 500 more with 4 x weekly service on a larger 752.
Helsinki - 2082 + 125%. Finnair. Approx LF - 93%
Planeraz is online now  
Old 20th Apr 2023, 08:15
  #1126 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Saltash
Posts: 151
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeraz
Feb 2023 Stats

Some stats and approx LF’s for certain routes.

QR - 18,692 or 94% Increased to 10 x weekly early Feb. The increased capacity appears to have been fully justified.
TK - 7,702 or 80%
UA - 7,102 or 78%
DL - 5,039 or 76%

Some European route stats with noticeable % increases compared to Feb 22. Large increases, even taking into account the Scot Gov restrictions that were still in place.

Bucharest - 7,090 +184%. Served by FR and Wizz. Approx LF - 96%
Riga (Latvia) - 6094 + 215%. FR. Approx LF - 95%
Copenhagen - 10,296 + 56%. EZY and Norwegian. Approx LF - 92%
Oslo - 6,801 + 125%. Norwegian. Approx LF - 95%
Keflavik - 4836 + 127%. EZY - 94% Worth noting FI route from GLA transported less than 500 more with 4 x weekly service on a larger 752.
Helsinki - 2082 + 125%. Finnair. Approx LF - 93%
It's also interesting to note that Edinburgh handled more passengers to Keflavik in January than Glasgow.

Regards 4ea
4eyed anorak is offline  
Old 20th Apr 2023, 12:58
  #1127 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,852
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair also fly to Copenhagen. Seems like overprovision. Is anyone making money?
inOban is online now  
Old 20th Apr 2023, 14:48
  #1128 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 456
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DL W23

Delta suspending EDI-JFK from 8/1 to 9/3 2024. Very disappointing news.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230420-dleu
Planeraz is online now  
Old 20th Apr 2023, 14:51
  #1129 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Planeraz
DL W23

Delta suspending EDI-JFK from 8/1 to 9/3 2024. Very disappointing news.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230420-dleu
That's a shame. Lack of aircraft/crew or just demand? Seems like a fair amount of cuts there.
ld0595 is offline  
Old 20th Apr 2023, 14:58
  #1130 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 456
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ld0595
That's a shame. Lack of aircraft/crew or just demand? Seems like a fair amount of cuts there.

As your rightly mention, lots of cuts, not just EDI. Looking at approx LF’s for Jan and Feb 2023, they both come in at around 76%. Not awful but not spectacular either. It’s certainly a blow for EDI and a likely win win for UA and the Newark route.
Planeraz is online now  
Old 20th Apr 2023, 15:33
  #1131 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 2,297
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeraz
As your rightly mention, lots of cuts, not just EDI. Looking at approx LF’s for Jan and Feb 2023, they both come in at around 76%. Not awful but not spectacular either. It’s certainly a blow for EDI and a likely win win for UA and the Newark route.
Maybe just a reflection of the wrong aircraft for off season. An A321LR /XLR when available would be better fit. If average 76, there must be days when way lower.
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 20th Apr 2023, 16:14
  #1132 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 235
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CabinCrewe
Maybe just a reflection of the wrong aircraft for off season. An A321LR /XLR when available would be better fit. If average 76, there must be days when way lower.
And there'll have been days when it was higher. Anyway, pre-covid this route always was always suspended between early January and early March, so its operation during that period of 2023 should be seen as an aberration rather than the norm. The tweet linked to above notes that JFK to Berlin, Copenhagen, Geneva and Stockholm Arlanda have all been ditched entirely for the winter season and several other DL transatlantic services have been suspended for the same period as their EDI-JFK service suspension. Given all that, it's good news that they currently plan to operate the route in the upcoming winter season with their 763, which means more capacity than when they operated it with their 757 in their last pre-covid winter season.
tartan 201 is offline  
Old 20th Apr 2023, 19:22
  #1133 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 43
Posts: 1,630
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Indicative of how reliable they still are on seasonal tourism. Aer Lingus and the US carriers used to almost close their DUB/SNN ops in the same period. Look at the contrast now with just how much US long haul DUB sees even in February!
Ireland sees a business benefit in the front cabins Scotland isn't coming close to.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 20th Apr 2023, 20:05
  #1134 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 456
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
Indicative of how reliable they still are on seasonal tourism. Aer Lingus and the US carriers used to almost close their DUB/SNN ops in the same period. Look at the contrast now with just how much US long haul DUB sees even in February!
Ireland sees a business benefit in the front cabins Scotland isn't coming close to.
Currently, it is hard to disagree with your assessment. Sadly, for EDI and Scotland more generally, this situation is unlikely to change with a very hostile anti aviation SNP/Green coalition in power. They love a photo op at a route launch to give the impression they support the sector, but they won’t go the extra mile to really promote flights to/from EDI or GLA. With the appropriate support, I can’t see why EDI in particular couldn’t be as successful as Ireland’s number one airport. DL’s decision today will also surely have a negative impact on the application for US Pre-clearance.
Planeraz is online now  
Old 20th Apr 2023, 20:21
  #1135 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 3,172
Received 501 Likes on 295 Posts
Originally Posted by CabinCrewe
Maybe just a reflection of the wrong aircraft for off season. An A321LR /XLR when available would be better fit. If average 76, there must be days when way lower.
I would suggest the first indication of over capacity on TA routes from Edinburgh. Too much growth too quickly? Hope I am wrong because the UK shouldn't be London, London and London.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 20th Apr 2023, 21:55
  #1136 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Falkirk
Posts: 278
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CabinCrewe
Maybe just a reflection of the wrong aircraft for off season. An A321LR /XLR when available would be better fit. If average 76, there must be days when way lower.
i have flown the route outbound to the US twice this year already and it’s been pretty busy both times in the slow season. Disappointed about the cut or pause, similar to Air Canada.
Guess I will have to fly United next year at the same time.
Sk1schoolsam is offline  
Old 21st Apr 2023, 05:07
  #1137 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 659
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Pah..it's time all transatlantic and middle east flights operated from PIK not EDI and certainly not that awful airport nowadays called Glasgow.......plenty of growth opportunities down the coast...what come around.goes around .....🤭..ahhh wait a minute.....nope...I'll just get my coat! Poor PIK. 🫣
nivsy is offline  
Old 21st Apr 2023, 05:39
  #1138 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,528
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
Some of the comments here are beyond parody.

If it was being cut for the entire winter, then I can just about see why you might get close to the “disappointing”, “crushing blow” type of comments.

It is being suspended for two months - the two months of the year which are the absolute pits for travel demand and when you probably lose enough money in eight weeks to wipe out much of what you’ve made in the other 44. It looks to me like sensible economic move by a sensible airline.

I am sure that they and many other carriers would have more seasonal cuts at LHR if they could do so without jeopardising their slots - which isn’t a factor at EDI.

And yes, this year’s transatlantic boom at EDI will be fuelled by incoming tourism on the basis of the exchange rates.

Make good money when it is there to be made, and don’t lose money for the rest of the time. Very sensible.
Flightrider is offline  
Old 21st Apr 2023, 06:18
  #1139 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: GB
Posts: 267
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ATNotts
I would suggest the first indication of over capacity on TA routes from Edinburgh. Too much growth too quickly? Hope I am wrong because the UK shouldn't be London, London and London.
The UK shouldn’t be London, Edinburgh, London either. Imho it is a financially better choice in the long run for Delta to go back to MAN and join their Virgin partners… MAN has the very strong outbound market that won’t go away any time soon (that supported insane amounts of US growth on TCX 2013-2019) while EDI largely relies on US Tourists.
laviation is offline  
Old 21st Apr 2023, 18:50
  #1140 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Age: 48
Posts: 284
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laviation
The UK shouldn’t be London, Edinburgh, London either. Imho it is a financially better choice in the long run for Delta to go back to MAN and join their Virgin partners… MAN has the very strong outbound market that won’t go away any time soon (that supported insane amounts of US growth on TCX 2013-2019) while EDI largely relies on US Tourists.
That's doesn't reflect in the low number of routes from Manchester to US and Canada this summer

Served from Manchester
Orlando
New York JFKAtalanta
Houston
Toronto.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​Served from Edinburgh
New York JFK & EWRAtlanta
Boston
Chicago
Washington
Orlando (School Holiday)
Toronto
Calgary​​​​​
​​​​​

Last edited by tictack67; 22nd Apr 2023 at 06:38.
tictack67 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.