Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Flybe-9

Old 5th Jul 2019, 17:39
  #2201 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 276
Interesting they have stepped away from the initial blurb of committing to seamless Virgin experience across the network to a new brand experience to be announced shortly. Clearly not so clean cut a plan but at least it got the go ahead which is a positive for all concerned. Interesting times ahead.
Alteagod is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2019, 08:59
  #2202 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: London
Posts: 252
Huge falls in passenger numbers at SOU - yet this is one of their key bases.

What is the future for this base given it's proximity to LHR?
Sharklet_321 is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2019, 09:04
  #2203 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: On the road
Posts: 703
Originally Posted by Sharklet_321 View Post
Huge falls in passenger numbers at SOU - yet this is one of their key bases.

What is the future for this base given it's proximity to LHR?
Good if it's served properly. Rich catchment and a far superior passenger experience to any of the London airports. If I lived anywhere south of Farnborough/Aldershot/Guildford and SOU had the flights I needed it would definitely get my money over LHR just for the convenience, time saving and speed through the airport.
TartinTon is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2019, 14:36
  #2204 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 39
Posts: 459
Originally Posted by Sharklet_321 View Post
Huge falls in passenger numbers at SOU - yet this is one of their key bases.

What is the future for this base given it's proximity to LHR?
Is this a poor attempt at trolling? (I note you are a prominent poster on the BOH thread). Are you talking about LHR the airport that is at full capacity? SOU has been a pillar of BEís business for over 15 years and will be in the future. You appreciate people actually need to fly to SOU? Itís the biggest cruise turnaround port in Europe for a start, which involves over 2 million passengers (let alone the many thousands of crew). Please keep your prejudices to the BOH thread.
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2019, 22:32
  #2205 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Teesside, UK
Age: 29
Posts: 975
So Flybe/Connect have to give up 5 slot pairs at AMS and 3 slot pairs at CDG up as part of the deal, relating to monopoly on these routes to/from Birmingham. Presumably this can easily be solved by upping the aircraft size in the remaining AF/KL flights on these routes and also losing some of the spare capacity.
mmeteesside is online now  
Old 7th Jul 2019, 07:18
  #2206 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,640
Originally Posted by mmeteesside View Post
So Flybe/Connect have to give up 5 slot pairs at AMS and 3 slot pairs at CDG up as part of the deal, relating to monopoly on these routes to/from Birmingham. Presumably this can easily be solved by upping the aircraft size in the remaining AF/KL flights on these routes and also losing some of the spare capacity.
Or more likely reducing capacity and upping fares, increasing yield substantially for AF/KL.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2019, 07:25
  #2207 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: London
Posts: 252
ATNotts this is far more likely as I doubt anyone else out there would be interested in operating those slots on those routes
Sharklet_321 is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2019, 08:56
  #2208 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dorset
Posts: 170
I would have thought that EasyJet (with a base in AMS and an operation at BHX) would look very seriously at this. Amsterdam slots are like rocking horse droppings right now due to the environmental cap on movement numbers.
Albert Hall is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2019, 20:26
  #2209 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: scotland
Posts: 712
Originally Posted by Albert Hall View Post
I would have thought that EasyJet (with a base in AMS and an operation at BHX) would look very seriously at this. Amsterdam slots are like rocking horse droppings right now due to the environmental cap on movement numbers.
Could also be a route for Jet2 with their base at BHX and that they already operate to AMS from LBA.
goldeneye is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2019, 21:27
  #2210 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by goldeneye View Post


Could also be a route for Jet2 with their base at BHX and that they already operate to AMS from LBA.
They will only do that if the hotels are in place for Jet2holidays---that is their game plan for expansion,as has been shown in Budapest and Nice.
SS
ssflyer is offline  
Old 8th Jul 2019, 14:14
  #2211 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Luton
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Alteagod View Post
Interesting they have stepped away from the initial blurb of committing to seamless Virgin experience across the network to a new brand experience to be announced shortly. Clearly not so clean cut a plan but at least it got the go ahead which is a positive for all concerned. Interesting times ahead.
The article does still say "
  • An enhanced customer experience in line with the Virgin brand, which Connect Airways will use in due course
    and
  • once Connect Airways joins the Virgin family and operates under its new brand

    Implication being the Virgin word is going to be in there somewhere...(Virgin Regional)
clipstone1 is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2019, 19:56
  #2212 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 1,750
Originally Posted by clipstone1 View Post
under its new brand
What do we think of the rumoured 'Virgin UK' brand
Dull? uninspiring? predictable and safe?
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2019, 20:01
  #2213 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 10
How about Virgin Connect?
1-11days is online now  
Old 9th Jul 2019, 21:05
  #2214 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: gatwick
Posts: 102
Prefer Virgin UK to Virgin Connect
jmccrew is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2019, 21:11
  #2215 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 383
I think they should just go for Virgin Atlantic. Virgin Little Red was just odd.
SealinkBF is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2019, 21:16
  #2216 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by SealinkBF View Post
I think they should just go for Virgin Atlantic. Virgin Little Red was just odd.
I think the Atlantic part will be dropped eventually and it'll be Virgin UK as a whole with Flybe becoming Virgin connect to differentiate them.
PDXCWL45 is online now  
Old 9th Jul 2019, 21:36
  #2217 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 485
Could we see the Virgin Express name making a reappearance ?
Letsflycwl is online now  
Old 9th Jul 2019, 22:31
  #2218 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 37
Posts: 976
Originally Posted by jmccrew View Post
Prefer Virgin UK to Virgin Connect
Virgin connect is better future-proofed should they ever operate between points outsider the U.K. or as a feeder elsewhere
AirportPlanner1 is online now  
Old 10th Jul 2019, 01:59
  #2219 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: gatwick
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by AirportPlanner1 View Post


Virgin connect is better future-proofed should they ever operate between points outsider the U.K. or as a feeder elsewhere
Given Flybe merged with BA Connect itís not exactly original and given Virgin is forward thinking ,referencing a name used by their biggest rival is something I would think they would try and avoid
jmccrew is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2019, 06:34
  #2220 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Posts: 925
Originally Posted by PDXCWL45 View Post
I think the Atlantic part will be dropped eventually and it'll be Virgin UK as a whole with Flybe becoming Virgin connect to differentiate them.
Thatís exactly my train of thought, and I was shot down on Twitter for suggesting they would drop Ďatlanticí. How many Ďnormalí people refer to them in their full name??
toledoashley is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.