Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Emirates Application 2022

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Emirates Application 2022

Old 14th Aug 2022, 15:28
  #281 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW View Post
Fair enough. Has it not happened in the past though?
it has happened in the past, about the same time as Ryanair was doing roadshows in the UAE.

Training in the ME is not up to the standards you are probably used to in Europe/USA. The word on the street was that the prop guys weren’t up to the job with many not getting through the training and recruitment for prop lads ultimately stopping.

The truth is, Emirates training wasn’t up to the job. Also, there is a lot of prejudice from many of the trainers who are from parts of the world where you have to be a lot older to get on the “big birds” or need to have joined with the same jet time as they did back in 1994 otherwise you are an imposter. It’s a strange mindset because I have found prop guys in no way inferior.

I just find it interesting because EK do see them as inferior and when the prop boys turn up ,our big boss BT sends us all emails saying how well recruitment is going , which I read to mean “we’re scraping the barrel again.”

Interesting that the big balls trainers walking around moaning about guys coming with thousands of hours on the ATR/dash don’t bat an eyelid when the 100 hour wonder local turns up in his school uniform.


nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2022, 15:58
  #282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 351
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the detailed response nimrod. A few yrs ago I chose a bonded ATR rating over a self sponsored jet rating. I guess now i'm paying the price ..
A320LGW is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2022, 16:10
  #283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: UAE
Posts: 987
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW View Post
I appreciate the detailed response nimrod. A few yrs ago I chose a bonded ATR rating over a self sponsored jet rating. I guess now i'm paying the price ..
You aren't paying the price. You have gained good experience flying the ATR on multiple sectors and often in bad weather. That experience, although it doesn't feel like it now, will come in really, really useful in the future. A long time ago I flew ATRs and now I'm flying the A380 at Emirates - if that is what you want to do (are you sure that is what you want to do?) then you just have to be a bit patient.
BigGeordie is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2022, 16:41
  #284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW View Post
I appreciate the detailed response nimrod. A few yrs ago I chose a bonded ATR rating over a self sponsored jet rating. I guess now i'm paying the price ..
I agree with what big G said.

It’s brilliant experience for EK to bring. Never understood why so many in the industry look down on prop pilots.

Inshallah in future.
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2022, 20:25
  #285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: London/ New York
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW View Post
What are the chances of being called with ATR or dash 8 turboprop hours? I know they count as they are >20T, but are people actually being called with them or are they last priority behind 737/320 rated?
Hi A320LGW, unfortunately it quite simply comes down to costs with the jet guys being cheaper to train. Emirates set up a make belief legacy based on bringing in experienced jet guys and paying them the big bucks. These days , the salary is much lower (half) but cost are by far more important than talent, yet they all sit there in costa with their name badges 'Sandy - Emirates Talent Recruitment Officer' and 'Talent acquisition manager'. Quite pathetic.

Clearly, there is an element of snobbery in the UAE. This is the land of the 10 lane motorways, revving Ferraris, 7 star hotel, beautiful bikini clad women and Rolls Royce jets. Respectfully my friend, you would see more respect for having a fishing licence than an ATR rating here in Dubai.

Everybody is in competition of who has the biggest nuts, who has the fastest car, who's 'bought in the marina', who's chest pressing the biggest weight, who's got the nicest new girlfriend. I can't tell you how many gentleman I fly with in Emirates who feel the need to show me the girl that they are 'seeing to'. Within the pilot community it is almost seen as kudos.

Unfortunately, you see the same guys again many years on and they are living in a 4 bed villa in Meydan South alone, the wife has found out , the wife has left, the kids don't want too much to do with them, the dogs even done one. It's interesting to see but really really really sad.

I'm sure its a cultural thing, bigger is better in Dubai and flying a turboprop is seen in a similar way to driving a Smart car.
Mike Koal is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2022, 20:57
  #286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Koal View Post
I'm sure its a cultural thing, bigger is better in Dubai and flying a turboprop is seen in a similar way to driving a Smart car.
Not much culture in dubai, probably the reason Australians fit in so well.
nervous novice is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2022, 21:50
  #287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nervous novice View Post
Not much culture in dubai, probably the reason Australians fit in so well.
Maybe… have you ever watched sky news AUS, compared to sky news UK . They would put the same kind of stuff on in the UK if they could get away with it. luckily they can’t (for now)
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2022, 22:01
  #288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 351
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the time taken for the reponses guys.. Trying to get a 737/320 job in the UK is difficult with the ATR hours too. The only ones who seem willing to take you on are BA and Aer Lingus. Virgin hired recently but were only interested in Boeing or Airbus guys. Jet2 was vastly oversubscribed and easyJet only hiring rated or new cadets. TUI only interested in rated guys. Cargo jobs seem to be heavily contacts based and even then when the likes of west atlantic hire, they want you rated on the 737 otherwise they'll put you on the ATR for X years again. DHL not open to prop guys. There are regional ops but again I'll be staying on props.

You can always pay 30k and join ryanair which being honest doesn't seem like a bad idea right now when you consider the potential salary earnings disparity between prop and jet jobs going further into the future. You'll make the money back pretty quick further down the road with the opportunities that open up. It really feels like I've hit a wall in where I can go with my prop hours.
A320LGW is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2022, 22:13
  #289 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW View Post
Thanks for the time taken for the reponses guys.. Trying to get a 737/320 job in the UK is difficult with the ATR hours too. The only ones who seem willing to take you on are BA and Aer Lingus. Virgin hired recently but were only interested in Boeing or Airbus guys. Jet2 was vastly oversubscribed and easyJet only hiring rated or new cadets. TUI only interested in rated guys. Cargo jobs seem to be heavily contacts based and even then when the likes of west atlantic hire, they want you rated on the 737 otherwise they'll put you on the ATR for X years again. DHL not open to prop guys. There are regional ops but again I'll be staying on props.

You can always pay 30k and join ryanair which being honest doesn't seem like a bad idea right now when you consider the potential salary earnings disparity between prop and jet jobs going further into the future. You'll make the money back pretty quick further down the road with the opportunities that open up. It really feels like I've hit a wall in where I can go with my prop hours.

Emirates are doing roadshows which is a great sign for people like yourself . So many guys are leaving or refuse to return that there is no doubt you’ll hear in time.

Emirates is a great opportunity to build up experience.It certainly stands you in good stead for futures opportunities.


Last edited by nimrodjoe; 14th Aug 2022 at 22:15. Reason: Fun
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2022, 22:36
  #290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fired600 View Post
Is there a link? I can’t find a Crispy C
I believe he is referring to the ginger safety pilot guy called craig
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2022, 23:03
  #291 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: stuttgart
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nimrodjoe View Post
Emirates are doing roadshows which is a great sign for people like yourself . So many guys are leaving or refuse to return that there is no doubt you’ll hear in time.

Emirates is a great opportunity to build up experience.It certainly stands you in good stead for futures opportunities.
your built experience maybe counts
that you have been EK counts nothing at all
if u can get your experience somewhere else it counts as much.
nobody on the hiring side will you give a preference just because your where at EK
flyTheBigFatLady is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2022, 00:02
  #292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In a pipe in the upstairs water closet
Posts: 297
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given Australians can now work in the US on E3 visas, EK may have a difficult time finding fresh meat from over there. Given they can fly heavies for companies with union protection where the contract is actually treated like a legal document, it’s a bit of a no-brainer.

Fuel-Off
Fuel-Off is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2022, 09:27
  #293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: stuttgart
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW View Post
I appreciate the detailed response nimrod. A few yrs ago I chose a bonded ATR rating over a self sponsored jet rating. I guess now i'm paying the price ..
unfortunately you are paying the price for the moment, but once you have the chance on a jet you will see the benefits of flying a prop in the beginning. I guarantee you (own experience) it’s a hugh benefit to fly lower levels in sh…. Weather and exposure to tons of sectors.
Also sadly to see the arrogance and pre occupation against TP in recruitings which just a sh…. Man made BS from people who had the luck to start in a jet as first job. And that’s all around a European thing where you start with 300 hours after flight school on a 737 or 320. in the us nearly every jet pilot has thousands of hours on small units including TP.
flyTheBigFatLady is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2022, 15:53
  #294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: France
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hold pool

HiI applied for first officer position, I have more than enough hours for that. Yet i did receive an email telling me that due to operational reasons, they're looking for pilots "with more hours on a specific type" therefore my application was moved to a hold pool
I was wondering if anyone knows what hold pool is ?
And does it mean I still have a chance? Or is it a polite way to say go away ? 😆

Thanks
WickedRider is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2022, 20:00
  #295 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: AUS
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recent roadshow announcement was hiring for the 777 will stop early 2023 and they’re consolidating exactly how they’ll recruit for the A350 arrival. (rated FOs/CN)
ToCatLady is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2022, 20:11
  #296 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You boys must be desperate where you flying now ?
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2022, 20:50
  #297 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: AUS
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nimrodjoe View Post
You boys must be desperate where you flying now ?
You're right! I simply forgot how wonderful HKG has been the last few years...
ToCatLady is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2022, 21:14
  #298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yer, nice, EK is definitely better than that.

An Aussie working in HKG bet you have had a great couple of years mate ! When did you last see sun light? Are you still cutting your own hair ?

Last edited by nimrodjoe; 19th Aug 2022 at 21:37.
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2022, 22:35
  #299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: AUS
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nimrodjoe View Post
Yer, nice, EK is definitely better than that.

An Aussie working in HKG bet you have had a great couple of years mate ! When did you last see sun light? Are you still cutting your own hair ?
Would love to stay and chat but not allowed to remove my four face masks or leave my bedroom. Sorry!

Bowl cuts are still in fashion here so no bad hair day. Every cloud...
ToCatLady is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2022, 03:22
  #300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedRider View Post
HiI applied for first officer position, I have more than enough hours for that. Yet i did receive an email telling me that due to operational reasons, they're looking for pilots "with more hours on a specific type" therefore my application was moved to a hold pool
I was wondering if anyone knows what hold pool is ?
And does it mean I still have a chance? Or is it a polite way to say go away ? 😆

Thanks
They are struggling in the training department. Not enough trainers and not enough simulators, might have something to do with it.
nervous novice is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.