PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Application 2022
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2022, 19:25
PPRuNeUser0216

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW
What are the chances of being called with ATR or dash 8 turboprop hours? I know they count as they are >20T, but are people actually being called with them or are they last priority behind 737/320 rated?
Hi A320LGW, unfortunately it quite simply comes down to costs with the jet guys being cheaper to train. Emirates set up a make belief legacy based on bringing in experienced jet guys and paying them the big bucks. These days , the salary is much lower (half) but cost are by far more important than talent, yet they all sit there in costa with their name badges 'Sandy - Emirates Talent Recruitment Officer' and 'Talent acquisition manager'. Quite pathetic.

Clearly, there is an element of snobbery in the UAE. This is the land of the 10 lane motorways, revving Ferraris, 7 star hotel, beautiful bikini clad women and Rolls Royce jets. Respectfully my friend, you would see more respect for having a fishing licence than an ATR rating here in Dubai.

Everybody is in competition of who has the biggest nuts, who has the fastest car, who's 'bought in the marina', who's chest pressing the biggest weight, who's got the nicest new girlfriend. I can't tell you how many gentleman I fly with in Emirates who feel the need to show me the girl that they are 'seeing to'. Within the pilot community it is almost seen as kudos.

Unfortunately, you see the same guys again many years on and they are living in a 4 bed villa in Meydan South alone, the wife has found out , the wife has left, the kids don't want too much to do with them, the dogs even done one. It's interesting to see but really really really sad.

I'm sure its a cultural thing, bigger is better in Dubai and flying a turboprop is seen in a similar way to driving a Smart car.