Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Emirates Application 2022

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Emirates Application 2022

Old 24th Aug 2022, 11:34
  #341 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 169
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I never said I wouldn’t pay tax on UK rental. From the post above I read that as I should be paying tax on UAE income?

Obviously you pay tax on UK rental. It’s minimal with accounts in order. UAE income should not be taxed with the right set up.

The laws change all the time so you do have to be on top of things.
AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 02:46
  #342 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh... UK. Thanks for clarifying. Thought I'd wandered into a thread about the Emirates application
ThunderLizard is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 04:07
  #343 (permalink)  

Only half a speed-brake
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not commuting home
Age: 45
Posts: 4,115
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post
To add yes my Mrs would be working in UAE.
Do I recall correctly that by virtue of family tree and passport availability she would have access to the same jobs as UAE nationals, i.e. on a level not accessible to an average immigrant worker's spouse?

As well in a sense, referencing another post up here, the family move in your specific case might:
+ reconnect you with old friends
+ join a partially native language environment
+ open possibilities of social security not available at present location

Right or wrong?
I am trying to keep this post neat and peaceful to the max because that is what I have, appreciate your patience if it reaches you distorted by translation on my side.

​​

Last edited by FlightDetent; 25th Aug 2022 at 08:31.
FlightDetent is online now  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 05:00
  #344 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: S E Asia
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regard to the discussion here about UK Tax, one thing I learned very early on in my 33 years in the Gulf was to never, ever, take Tax or Investment advice from fellow pilots. With the exception of one knowledgeable colleague who had worked in finance prior to becoming a pilot, the advice was either plain wrong, partly wrong, or simply misinformed or misleading. Talk to a professional. For UK expats only - have a read of the official HMRC Statutory Residence Tests document -
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dence-test-srt
flyThe BIgFatLady said in a post above - "guess if you are registered in the uk renting out your making a taxable income, and for my knowledge if you are a tax payer in Europe you must register all of the incomes you have. Therefore legally you are required also to mention your Dxb income on the uk tax forms.doing not so is technically in most European countries tax fraud and comes with fine. therefore your whole calculation would become obsolete." This is in general not correct, at least for UK Expats, don't know about our European colleagues. As long as you maintain your 'Non Resident' status with HMRC, you only need to declare your income which arises from UK sources. (I have that in writing from HMRC). Which is why it is important to read the Statutory Residence Tests and ensure you maintain that status, and speak with a professional.
7B

777boyo is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 05:48
  #345 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: stuttgart
Posts: 217
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 777boyo View Post
With regard to the discussion here about UK Tax, one thing I learned very early on in my 33 years in the Gulf was to never, ever, take Tax or Investment advice from fellow pilots. With the exception of one knowledgeable colleague who had worked in finance prior to becoming a pilot, the advice was either plain wrong, partly wrong, or simply misinformed or misleading. Talk to a professional. For UK expats only - have a read of the official HMRC Statutory Residence Tests document -
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dence-test-srt
flyThe BIgFatLady said in a post above - "guess if you are registered in the uk renting out your making a taxable income, and for my knowledge if you are a tax payer in Europe you must register all of the incomes you have. Therefore legally you are required also to mention your Dxb income on the uk tax forms.doing not so is technically in most European countries tax fraud and comes with fine. therefore your whole calculation would become obsolete." This is in general not correct, at least for UK Expats, don't know about our European colleagues. As long as you maintain your 'Non Resident' status with HMRC, you only need to declare your income which arises from UK sources. (I have that in writing from HMRC). Which is why it is important to read the Statutory Residence Tests and ensure you maintain that status, and speak with a professional.
7B
Thanks for that
i wrote „guess“ in the hope to get also a specific answer like yours. And clearly it is depending on the residency status.
as you said if you are not a resident than the income only made in the specific country counts for tax.
flyTheBigFatLady is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 07:57
  #346 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fibbers
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent View Post

As well in a sense, referencing another post up here, the family move in your specific case would:
+ open possibilities of social security not available at present location

​​
So he is leaving the UK to go to the UAE for social security . I think I am done.

If you lose your job in the UAE, you are on the streets and deported, if you cant pay the hospital bill you are wheeled out into the street.

There is always some guys who fall for the glossy brochures and large signs saying 'Hello tomorrow' or 'we take your career very seriously' 'fly better' and are impressed by the folk who come across to the hotel conference room to tell them all about it and look and sound just like them! The truth is you are investing your future in a different country, a country in the ME not Europe and most importantly giving up what you have which inevitably comes with consequences. Your mortgage interest on UK properties is even higher as an expat, never mind the lack of job security!

I can understand the move for the Hong Kong refugees and those without work. I will never understand those giving up UK jobs to move to a place where you have zero rights, a meaningless contract and are a second class citizen. Maybe I am wrong, and the more that leave the UK the better for many wanting to get home I guess.

Last edited by McToryMug; 25th Aug 2022 at 08:27. Reason: u
McToryMug is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 08:33
  #347 (permalink)  

Only half a speed-brake
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not commuting home
Age: 45
Posts: 4,115
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by McToryMug View Post
So he is leaving the UK to go to the UAE for social security . I think I am done
Hold your horses. That was a badly formulated but still a question. Whether or not by virtue of family tree and passport that is the case for them specifically. I believe UAE has top notch social security, just not for the immigrant workers
​​​​​
FlightDetent is online now  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 09:41
  #348 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fibbers
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say:

-English
-Middle Class
-Middle aged
-Middle name Ralph
-Moving to the Middle East
-Public School
-Cyclist
-Dailymail reader


McToryMug is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 11:37
  #349 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Changes
Posts: 219
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent View Post
I believe UAE has top notch social security, just not for the immigrant workers
​​​​​
And the people looking at joining are…….immigrant workers. Something happens over there and you are on the street with a fast pass back to your home country. They decide when you are done, they throw you out like yesterdays trash, along with your wife family and kids. Good luck if you have debts, mortgages car loans etc, the things that we accumulate over the years. PS don’t get sick, thats your name to the top of the next pandemic/ recession hit list.
Fired600 is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 13:05
  #350 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fired600 View Post
And the people looking at joining are…….immigrant workers. Something happens over there and you are on the street with a fast pass back to your home country. They decide when you are done, they throw you out like yesterdays trash, along with your wife family and kids. Good luck if you have debts, mortgages car loans etc, the things that we accumulate over the years. PS don’t get sick, thats your name to the top of the next pandemic/ recession hit list.
Yer chuck you out like sh!t off their shoe . We all know how they treated people .

Yet there’s always people saying “ah it’s the same everywhere”

it isn’t.

We have Hong Kong pilots coming to Ek in the belief that it’s in some way better . It was better in the pandemic because EK worked out they needed to keeps restrictions low and flights flying to try and boost tourism, be interesting for those who arrive in EK just in time for this recession especially with most the bad apples (or high sickness) already gone .might actually be done on seniority this time !

Last edited by nimrodjoe; 25th Aug 2022 at 14:14.
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 15:54
  #351 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: AUS
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nimrodjoe View Post
Yer chuck you out like sh!t off their shoe . We all know how they treated people .

Yet there’s always people saying “ah it’s the same everywhere”

it isn’t.

We have Hong Kong pilots coming to Ek in the belief that it’s in some way better . It was better in the pandemic because EK worked out they needed to keeps restrictions low and flights flying to try and boost tourism, be interesting for those who arrive in EK just in time for this recession especially with most the bad apples (or high sickness) already gone .might actually be done on seniority this time !
The ones coming from HKG are trying to get their housing and education allowances back which were stripped away in 2020 and expire this summer. It’s really that simple.

Nobody is coming from CX under an illusion that EK is a better airline at all. It’s just maintaining that level of housing/education which made it possible to live in Hong Kong. Right now at CX you’re spending up to 70% of your income on housing and education of three kids at an international school.

add on to that the education in Hong Kong has now been completely taken over by the Chinese government.

ToCatLady is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 16:49
  #352 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToCatLady View Post
The ones coming from HKG are trying to get their housing and education allowances back which were stripped away in 2020 and expire this summer. It’s really that simple.

Nobody is coming from CX under an illusion that EK is a better airline at all. It’s just maintaining that level of housing/education which made it possible to live in Hong Kong. Right now at CX you’re spending up to 70% of your income on housing and education of three kids at an international school.

add on to that the education in Hong Kong has now been completely taken over by the Chinese government.
boasting about housing allowance is only gonna piss guys off in ek who have been forced into the meydan camp site .
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 17:29
  #353 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: AUS
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nimrodjoe View Post
boasting about housing allowance is only gonna piss guys off in ek who have been forced into the meydan camp site .
sorry not necessarily the allowance itself but the housing benefit overall. Wouldn’t exactly call it boasting. Surely you’re not THAT fragile?
ToCatLady is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 17:45
  #354 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToCatLady View Post
sorry not necessarily the allowance itself but the housing benefit overall. Wouldn’t exactly call it boasting. Surely you’re not THAT fragile?
I am a bit . I’ll have a bit of a cry before bed later. Often get a better deal if you resign and rejoin in this airline strangely.
Hope you enjoy EK anyway.

Last edited by nimrodjoe; 25th Aug 2022 at 18:16.
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 18:19
  #355 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: planet earth
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToCatLady View Post
sorry not necessarily the allowance itself but the housing benefit overall. Wouldn’t exactly call it boasting. Surely you’re not THAT fragile?
Talk to you in 6 months when you’ll finally realize what you got yourself into. Hope that housing benefit was worth it
Eric Hartman is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2022, 23:56
  #356 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fired600 View Post
And the people looking at joining are…….immigrant workers. Something happens over there and you are on the street with a fast pass back to your home country. They decide when you are done, they throw you out like yesterdays trash, along with your wife family and kids. Good luck if you have debts, mortgages car loans etc, the things that we accumulate over the years. PS don’t get sick, thats your name to the top of the next pandemic/ recession hit list.
I was under no illusion from day one when I joined that I was and still am a dispensable employee that could be dropped at a moment's notice. For anyone thinking of joining, it has never been a permanent job nor will it ever will be. It is more like a rolling contract. Only difference is here is that you don't have a contract agency to try and fight your corner should you have any greivences!

For those electing to join now, avoid debt at all costs. Lease or rent a car to start off with and buy in cash if you decide to buy. Property is sold for first-world prices but is constructed to developing world standards. It's a bit like buying a fake watch in BKK but being charged the price you would pay if you bought the genuine article in GVA. I never even gave buying property a second thought.
Emma Royds is offline  
Old 26th Aug 2022, 01:26
  #357 (permalink)  

Only half a speed-brake
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not commuting home
Age: 45
Posts: 4,115
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Emma Royds View Post
you don't have a contract agency to try and fight your corner should you have any greivences!
Truth be told, as this a de-masking thread which seems to become customary, that never happens anywhere.
The agencies might help with important life issues but sorting out problems against the company decision isn't the game they play. Be economic necessity they are deeply embedded with the employers and possibly sharing the loot with people who 'allowed' them to bring the pilots in. Similar to the UAE business ownership requirement for expat-driven firms.

The only contractual and legal fight an agency will take, some of them vigorously, happens when the pilot tries to change to a different one.
FlightDetent is online now  
Old 26th Aug 2022, 10:42
  #358 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Changes
Posts: 219
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Emma Royds View Post
For those electing to join now, avoid debt at all costs. Lease or rent a car to start off with and buy in cash if you decide to buy. Property is sold for first-world prices but is constructed to developing world standards. It's a bit like buying a fake watch in BKK but being charged the price you would pay if you bought the genuine article in GVA. I never even gave buying property a second thought.
Wise words to be heeded. There were a lot of people very badly stung when Emirates threw them away. Debts bigger than they could pay, bigger than their savings, who still have the millstone around their necks. People seem to think they can run away from debts in the UAE, you can’t. UAE banks love to throw money at you to get you to ‘live the life’ but its NOT free and they will chase you.
Fired600 is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2022, 07:26
  #359 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More DECs coming…
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2022, 12:16
  #360 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Changes
Posts: 219
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nimrodjoe View Post
More DECs coming…
On 380 or 777 ?
Fired600 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.